Speaker 1: Paverballers. Before we get started. Did you know the future's coming? Why not make it brighter today with Squarespace. Squarespace makes it easy to turn your idea into a unique website, showcase your work, blog, publish content, even sell products and services of all kinds. All it takes is a few simple clicks customize everything from look and feel to settings and products. Use beautiful templates created by world class designers. There is nothing to install, patch or upgrade. Ever. Head out to squarespace dot com today for a free trial, and when you're ready to launch, use the offer code solid that's s l I D and you'll save ten percent off your first purchase of a website or domain. Welcome to the solid verbal pull that for me. I'm a man, I'm.
Speaker 2: For I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy.
Speaker 1: You want to be happy for day Ato state? Is that? Woo woom? And Dan and Ty welcome back to the Salaberbo boys and girls. My name is Ty hilden Brandt, joining me as always over there in stunning New York City. Dan Rubinstein, sir, how are you it's been nice out? Huh? It's been real warm, Yeah, a little stinky.
Speaker 2: I you know what, I did sweat for the first time in a long time because of warmth, not because I'm a disgusting person yesterday. Sure, so that's a good sign. I mean, I think it's about to like rain and be disgusting. But life is all right.
Speaker 1: How you doing. I'm good. It's going to rain for like the next ninety six hours or something. Is that true? I believe so, yeah, But it's good to be with you on the pod. We released our much awaited How Recruiting Works show a week ago. If you haven't had a chance to go and check that out, please do so. We put a lot of blood, sweat and tears into that one over the span of about a year to collect all of our audio and produce it the way we want it, So please do check that out.
Speaker 2: Can I have a moment of honesty about the show?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: It didn't fully take us a year. We started it to release last year for signing day right correct.
Speaker 1: On and off, on and off span of a year.
Speaker 2: I would I would say a lot of what we do because people seem to like the minutia. I know I do when hearing about what you put into the show. A lot of it is like, oh man, we made it, and then we're like, I don't know if I like it, let's start again. Yeah, And that's that's like how it gets better eventually. And I was a fan of where we were with it last year. I really like how it came out this year.
Speaker 1: We tore it apart. Yeah, four or five weeks ago, tore the whole dumping the lab. Yeah, tour the whole thing apart, reconstructed it in a different image, and I think it turned out better. So we're excited about it. A lot of folks who have responded are excited about it as well. If you haven't had a chance to listen, please go out and do so. The other thing that I'll mention then, I guess on the heels of that is that since it is end of month, what we're trying to do end of each month, at least for the foreseeable future is a Q and A show. This is true, Collect all of the questions that come in, and then let's record. Let's answer simple. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about this earlier. Did we start our show? It was either pre Twitter or just when Twitter was starting out, because our sound and I don't think you have the soundboard in front of you. Our sound was like you've got mail, because it was you know, people sending emails soliverblegmail dot com. And that's how we would retrieve. We still get a ton of email and we try to answer it. But this is largely what Twitter and Facebook Twitter.
Speaker 1: Facebook. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The next I think the next one we do will be what end of March and that I think we're going to do reddit only.
Speaker 1: How about that? It sounds good to me.
Speaker 2: I like, we'll go to the I mean, the soliverbal subreddit is outstanding, so we'll do that.
Speaker 1: Congratulations, Skippy, you've got mail. You've got mail on the solid verbal All right. Well, on that note, Dan, let's do our best to pay homage to those folks who wrote in via whatever channel they so desired, be it social, be it via email. Got a whole slew of them here. We want to do our best to try and address them in kind. So, Daniel, if you could reach deep into that into that pot oh look of questions here and pull out pull out a good one for us.
Speaker 2: All right, let's start at the top. This is from Benjamin Most Intriguing Conference top to bottom next year.
Speaker 1: Ooh, so.
Speaker 2: I like how he phrased this, because best or worst conference doesn't really tell a complete story. It's largely subjective, as is intriguing. But intriguing is also nice because I think we can better define that, right, Sure, of course we can better define the subjective nature of that word. So to me, intriguing is a weird stew Aboolia base, if you will, of coaching intrigue, quarterback intrigue, and attrition intrigue. So like, oh my god, they lost their entire offense. Oh my god, they lost their entire coaching staff. And to me, if his phrasing is top to bottom, it's probably the sec because I feel like that's where the Bulia base is in terms of intrigue with new coaches. And you have a quarterback who came in the second half and win the national championship. You have you know, a Heisman candidate Jarrett Stidham, we have a what is Florida's offense going to look like they're going to start a cheue freshmen with a new coach.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: But if the question we're top to middle, my answer is the Big ten, okay, because the Big Ten to me has more wildcard fun with Purdue and Nebraska in sky that middle section in the court.
Speaker 1: Will all right, bringing your fastball here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm the ACC isn't doing it for me as much. The Pac twelve seems too similar and questionable, and I think it'll still be fun. The Big twelve feels like it hasn't changed all that much. It's just sort of like, what is he going to do in year two? Tom Herman and Lincoln Riley. So that's my answer, what do you say?
Speaker 1: My answer is actually the PAC twelve really why? And perhaps it's just a matter of semantics and a matter of definition around the word intriguing. And yeah, furthermore, the definition of intriguing in a college football sense, what does it mean to you? For me, intriguing is questionable? What is the most questionable? That's what I find intriguing. And look, you could always make the case for the SEC being intriguing. There's not a season that we've done this show that I haven't thought about the SEC in some intriguing way. I'm always intrigued by it, and I think the same holds true for the Big Ten. Certainly the Big Ten now as we've had a team like a Penn State really rise up under James Franklin. New coaches abound in the Big Ten. That makes it an intriguing conference. That was the case last year as well the PAC twelve. Though I have no idea which direction the PAC twelve is headed, because USC without Sam Darnold could go one of a hundred different directions. Arizona fired their coach like two weeks ago, something crazy like that. Arizona State, We're not sure their coach knows what's going on. Oregon had to scramble and find a new coach at the Gun yet again. Yeah, and oh, by the way, Charles chip Kelly, coming back to the college game down there at UCLA. There are a lot of variables in the PAC twelve that to me, I don't know which direction it's headed, and that makes it really intriguing from top to bottom for me.
Speaker 2: So are you intrigued by the bottom of the PAC twelve? Like the Oregon State, cal Colorado you know you can. I guess put Utah even though they were the only I believe PAC twelve team to win a ball game. Yeah, if the night or what is it, the day is darkest before dawn whatever that phrasing is eleven of twelve PAC twelve teams finish the season with a loss, so it's certainly not looking great. The South should be wide open.
Speaker 1: Ish.
Speaker 2: You can make a case for probably three teams, yeah, pretty evenly winning that division in USC, Arizona and UCLA, actually three and a half of Utah.
Speaker 1: I have the least amount of certainty about the PAC twelve. There are more variables to me in the PAC twelve than any other conference. And that's what makes it intriguing top to bottom. So you get you get hot and bothered by that. That's right, the mystery extremely Yeah, I'm Dan seduced, Okay, I can appreciate that and the ACC. The only reason I don't lump in the ACC with the others is outside. I mean, listen, Miami and Virginia Tech and Clemson and Florida State all have intriguing things about them to me. It's not even like top to bottom. It's more top and bottom are interesting to me. The middle class of the ACC right now, Virginia, Pitt, Louisville, I guess, BC, and Wake I don't see. There's not a huge mystery fact, Dan, I feel like you could have a template saved on your computer. Oh, Yeah, with that statement tier ACC team dot doc X, and you could pretty much apply that to about eight teams in the middle.
Speaker 2: I'm with you, ty So. And by the way, low key on that, the AAC is going to be really intriguing next year. Okay, all right, the American is going to be real nice because I think Memphis returns a good amount. You still have UCF with the talent from last year. I think Jeff Collins improves Temple next year. Navy's always going to be fun. Like I think that is going to be not not underrated, but just consistently rated as fun and deep.
Speaker 1: How about that fun and deep moving, fun and deep before we going next, let's go too Oh, I like this.
Speaker 2: This was a big thing this week. I think it was Dennis Dodd from CBS who wrote about it. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't know, but beef Mick large huge.
Speaker 1: Is that a real name? That's that's probably family name. Yeah, okay, in.
Speaker 2: Your opinion, what is the reason? And I will parenthetically add reasons for the decline in attendance at college football games?
Speaker 1: So what did Dennis Dodd go with? Kids care about their phones and there's not enough bandwidth. Kids, these days. Ty.
Speaker 2: Okay, by the way, thank you for listening to the show on your phone. Weir Yeah, grateful. Yeah, that's that's not the approach I would take. It's certainly one interpretation.
Speaker 1: I think that part of the reason why is because the home experience is so damn enjoyable. I think it's part of it. Sometimes the easiest answer and the best answer is the most straightforward joy as a college football fan infinitely more watching the game from the comfort of my couch on my HD television, not having to fight off crowds of one hundred thousand to watch a football game.
Speaker 2: I would pause it this, Ty, I think you're completely right.
Speaker 1: I My question.
Speaker 2: Is, is going to a football game and forget about traffic, forget about you know, cleaning up and setting up tailgating. Forget about like parking and the pain and the ass of you know, oh, I got to park on this shady dude's lawn because it's eight hundred dollars to park for whatever. Forget about all of that. It's football fun to watch in person, Like is it a sport built for an in person experience?
Speaker 1: It's built more for an in person experience than baseball. But I can tell you that the commercial breaks during a football game, particularly an NFL game. If you've ever been to one of those, yeah, that aspect of it is very much a kill joy when you're in the stands, and at least if you're at home, you can find things to do. You can check Twitter, you can like go to the bath, move your bowels, yeah, or same page. You have options when the game goes to commercial break that you don't have if you're actually there in attendance.
Speaker 2: I would almost push back, and I know this is going to be sacrilege on a college football show. I may like going to baseball games, and I'm not even a huge baseball fan. I think there's something a little more honest, like Baseball's like, yeah, we're slow, just chill out, look at the grass. We walk to you with the food and the beverages. Okay, there's something that is a very entertaining screen saver where it never really gets high impact and exciting, and football is like hig impact exciting stop, Hi, you packed exciting, stop? And that I think is the bigger issue. Or football just might not be a great in person sport. It's better with everything filled in by TV. That also said, if I were paid to improve the in person experience. I mean, you know what I'm gonna say. I want more comfortable seating. Yeah, and I want better cheaper food. You can't just serve me boiled hot dogs and dry burgers.
Speaker 1: You just can't.
Speaker 2: And I know, I think it's the New Falcons Stadium, where the National Championship also was this year, Mercedes Benz. I think they have a bunch of local vendors, the Brooklyn Nets not too far from where I am broadcasting this very show. They have a local sausage place, local Mexican like there is something that's pretty familiar and exciting of like, oh, you can also eat and consume well while you're there, and that I don't think is the case of a lot of these schools.
Speaker 1: Tickets are also really expensive. They are, and we are very much in an age where it's easier now than ever to be very cost conscious and do a line item on everything you pay out in the span of a month, and you can be the biggest fan in the world. Never go to a game. You don't have to anymore because the coverage is there. You can watch whatever you want.
Speaker 2: All that said, the ceiling is still higher you're in the stadium for something incredible for your team, a huge upset, a huge play, whatever the communal experience of that untouchable.
Speaker 1: I don't begrudge anyone who chooses to go to the gy. Yeah, I'm just trying to, as you said, posit a theory as to why more people don't fair. All right, where are we going next?
Speaker 2: Colin wants to know. Combination of questions. One does it get hard to be quote impartial? I use quotes because of Ty's blaytant disracespec so blaytant Yeah of Michigan State this past season, he says, MSU, So maybe it's Mississippi State.
Speaker 1: I don't sure. Two least favorite team or fan base. I have an interesting answer to this, God, here we go. Yeah, please buckle up for starters. Part of I think the charm of what we do is that we never try to mask our rooting allegiances, like you're an Oregon grad, you're an Oregon fan yep. And I don't think in any case we're gushing over the teams that we root for.
Speaker 2: If anything, it's more bitching and moaning, right, exactly what you're root for? Yeah, exactly?
Speaker 1: But we don't hide the fact that we have some rooting allegiance, so that that part is I think just that we're authentic. What I'll say is it actually gets easier to be impartial the longer you do this, because you reach a point where, in order to cover it the way we cover it, you have to imbibe so much college football all the time, and some of that raw emotion gets boiled off just just as part of the natural machinations of what we do.
Speaker 2: My least favorite team or fan base, my least favorite team is any team who is boring, because for a living I talk about this and I want weird and exciting and fun and creative and so and that will very year to year the boringness, quotion or whatever of a team. So that really is everything to me. It's if do you play slow? Are you throwing well short of sticks on third and four? Are you punting from your opponents thirty nine like I That to me, that is tough to be impartial. A by like, well, this is how they're thinking in defense of that mo Mel That is garbage, and that is who I root against. Anybody that is playing conservatively and for field position that is extremely boring. And soft, So that is who I do not like.
Speaker 1: I definitely do not have a specific team right or fan base that is my least favorite. To answer part two of Collin's question, there is not one team, There is not one base that I detest more than any other. One thing that we get though pretty frequently, that in my estimation, means we're doing it correctly. Yeah, there are multiple teams and multiple fan bases who believe in earnest that we are the least favorite. And that tells me that we're spreading around the hate just rout about the right amount, and the fact that there are more than one out there that that to me says we're doing something right.
Speaker 2: I should say, after we hit stop when we record, we just bitch about Michigan all the time. It's all all the time. Kevin Wade, our pal wants to know. Would you rather your team win a college football championship but then move to the FCS level? Oh okay, so a demotion of relegation or against you good? Or go into every season knowing you'll never get above second place in your conference. And I say that with a defending champion, I think coming in third place in their conference, right, if that makes sense, So okay, what is it? Would you rather have a ceiling or a hard success and a hard floor.
Speaker 1: There is nothing more frustrating than that glass ceiling. Okay, there is nothing more frustrating than knowing at the start of a season you can't get above second place. And I think in large part that's why every program outside Alabama and the SEC has changed coaches in the span that he's been at Bama, right, Because on some level everyone's felt that that that ceiling. Man, you can't get past Alabama. So no, I don't want to be in that position. It drives people crazy. I'd much rather win and then get relegated. We'll play in the Big Sky for the next fifteen years, but at least you'll always have that championship moment where you got to hold up the trophy standing next to our boy Grandpa Bill Hancock. I disagree. I haven't said that in a while. It would be miserable.
Speaker 2: You wouldn't be able to watch your team if they were an FCS team, depending on where you lived, you'd have to watch it on like ESPN three, watch it on the Stadium network, right, which looks good. I think our pel Jeff Schwartz does stuff for them, Christ and BALBONI all sorts of good people. But it would it would kind of be boring to go for rooting every year for an FBS team to an FCS team. I think competition. I mean, if it's the same team, if Notre Dame won a national championship and then was in the Big Sky, they would still attract a lot of talent and people. Game people love the Patriot League Lightning Round on this show.
Speaker 1: I know they do.
Speaker 2: I guess would that make the most sense FCS conference wise for Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It might be, yeah, let's got some Notre Dame Mount Union action. I think they're like D three. That'd be wonderful. Shout out Wisconsin, Whitewater. No, I would take second place because one, you can still get to the national championship coming in second place in your conference with the playoff. And two, I've said this before, I don't know that it is in an era where everything is so weighted towards the top and the teams that have the most money and the geographic advantages that if you have a fun season where you beat two of your rivals, that's that feels like a success. And you know, with the way everything is, I would take that more often than not. And coming in second place in your conference, and I know it's not it's a ceiling of second place. It still means you're making a conference championship game every so often. I think I'm going with that. I'm still going with the excitement. Huh playing FB. I just I don't want to watch FCS football every week.
Speaker 1: Wow. And I not fired.
Speaker 2: I apologize, but I'm saying I don't want to watch FCS football if I've grown accustomed, you know, like when you see the divorce proceedings, like, well, she's grown or he's grown a custom of a certain lifestyle.
Speaker 1: We're talking college football alimony here.
Speaker 2: At college football alimony. That's exactly right. And I have grown accustomed to a certain lifestyle and I am not willing to go back.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's go to Mason. Max More rites in and he says, since Bill Connolly is the world's biggest New Mexico State fan, can you guys take the mantle of being big Utah State fans? What up? Bags? Or maybe one of you could take Texas A and M and each of you could have your own Aggie allegiance. Uh, this isn't so much a question as it is a proposal. And since it is the end of February, Mason, you're on the board early. We can consider this as the year moves on. I'm open to being an Aggie faithful of some kind timely question. With CHUCKI.
Speaker 2: Keaton entering his junior year, I don't know how long he's been there. I assume he has just gotten medical red shirts and perpetuity. I apologize if CHUCKI. Keaton is dead or.
Speaker 1: Found the flower pot and there's traveling back in time to continue playing college football.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think I could be a textas ay and m Fan. I just I don't think it mesh as well with my person.
Speaker 1: It's an exciting new era, though, with Jimbo Fisher Dan.
Speaker 2: I suppose nothing like getting on board with a coach whose last fan base hated him for playing slowly right after I decried teams who play slowly. I'm on board with UC Davis Ty all right, the Aggies of UC Davis. Robert Mondavi is Bob mont Dave from out there. I believe I think that is the It's like the Robert Mondavi school of something of wine. I think, what is what is wine science?
Speaker 1: Do we know? Oh? Boy, what is that wine? Hooking it up right now? Idea? Look that up. I'm a big fan of Bob Mondavi's fume blanc. Like you call him Bob on top. He's known as Bob in this household, wine science is called Oh man, I don't know, it's I just see wine making.
Speaker 2: There has to be something else. A vinter Sure that sound right to you?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I vinification. I have no idea A winemaker may also be called a vintner. The more you know, have you been to a vineyard? Have you gone wine tasting before?
Speaker 1: I have? Yeah? I did it in Canada, Canadian wine tasting. I did a Canadian wine tasting in Niagara, Niagara Falls. Oh so, just on the other side of the border, just on the other side of the border. How was it? It was great. It was cold, we went and it was freezing, but it was it was a cool experience. Is my first time doing that? Solid wife Kate, She's been other places, cool, cooler places and done the whole wine tasting thing. But I enjoyed it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you were able to pull apart notes for full party canted SIPs.
Speaker 1: Oh god, No, I have no idea what I'm doing. No, I just I just sort of drink it for sport. Dan, I'm not really into the whole tasting thing.
Speaker 2: I don't drink wine all that often. I do like swishing it around, taking a sip, and I will say subtle.
Speaker 1: I have a theory that most people at wine tastings have no idea what they're doing, but like to be seen as if they do well.
Speaker 2: The Michael Scott line was, ooh, it's a nutty after birth, right, it's great? Next question? But bah, I may oh Michael is a mid forties Oregon State Beavers fan.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, it's been a long, trite, miserable life for that man.
Speaker 2: Okay, was two thousand and one, the two thousand and one festival. Ty your memories, I remember it well, the best it's going to get in my lifetime? Or is there something better out there? I mean there's friendship and love, sure, hobbies, travel, Yes, there's also lots of better things out there than being an Oregon State fan. Is their hope for a mid forties Oregon State Beaver span? And I would also add like teams that are Oregon State, but not Oregon States. So across college football teams that have had brief runs of success but kind of have the deck stacked against them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I for Michael here specifically, I'm going to say that was probably the pinnacle Chad Johnson, TJ. Hushmanzada if he's in his mid forties. Now realistically, now let's talk life. Let's talk lifespan in the continue.
Speaker 2: What is the average male lifespan in the United States of America. It's it's fallen fast h eighty one, okay, average American male lifespan okay, seventy.
Speaker 1: Eight point seven. Okay. So there's not nearly enough time for them to build up a program. So he's got what thirty three years if he's mid forties, let's say forty five, just to keep it nice. And since he's on the back nine tie, he's on the back nine Dan. So could they conceivably build up a program in thirty years at Oregon State.
Speaker 2: To that eclipses dominant BCS group of whatever? Yeah, New Year's how long did it take Boise.
Speaker 1: State to get to a point where we feel pretty good about their consistency? Twenty years? Not in a power five. Though, if we use Boise State as an example, even though they're not Power five, how many it was it.
Speaker 2: Wasn't twenty it was you know it was you had Dirt Hutter, you had Chris Peterson, you had Dan Hawkins. How long it was ten to twelve, eight, ten something in there, I say, pick a different team. Oh man, he's going to die before they eclipse that.
Speaker 1: It's going to be rough.
Speaker 2: Eclipsing that in twenty eighteen to twenty thirties is just with the investment of Oregon and Washington Stanford in that division, it's going to be a situation has to be a situation of getting extraordinarily lucky with quarterback recruiting and keeping a quarterback and sort of finding a season in which everywhere every position on the two deep is juniors and seniors is upperclassmen. That's the best, and that have all developed and worked out. Here's my question back to Michael. Not impossible, not impossible, but I think he's more likely to pass on to the afterlife. With the Fiesta Bowl in two thousand and one being the pinnacle of his fandom. My question back to Michael is, now that we have proven that much out, will he pick a different team. Will he play his college football fandom?
Speaker 1: Like people try to play the stock market and sell high and now try to buy low on somebody else. You know what he could do. He's right there.
Speaker 2: If he is in Central organ or Vicinity, that's wine country, tie olam At Valley.
Speaker 1: That's going to be the new wine country because it's getting warmer. That's what I'm told by the wine nerve. Yeah really, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, I've had good wine from the Lamont Valley.
Speaker 1: Here you go. What's good?
Speaker 2: You and your Bob Mundabo. Yeah, this comes frost from Adam. We have we've received a version of this question before. Certain programs and fans seem to be alike despite being far apart. For example, the play style, drinking habits, statues, excuse me, status of Alice in Wisconsin nearly the same. So they are a match? Who are and they played? Who are the matches for your schools? Notre Dame, Penn State and Oregon. Ooh so stylistically, so we'll start with Notre Dame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it feels Michigan. I was gonna say Michigan. It's Michigan. Yeah, it's one hundred percent Michigan. Tradition Midwest, you know, angry coach. Now. The only thing I don't know about Michigan fans, and maybe you can help because you're married to one, I don't know the drinking habits of Michigan folk.
Speaker 2: It's a Midwest, big ten school, big Greek situation.
Speaker 1: My impression of Notre Dame, after tailgateting there a number of times and going to more Notre Dame games than I can count, is that it was much more of a wine and cheese crowd. There's an element of that with Michigan. Absolutely. If you could meld maybe like Virginia with Michigan, that would probably be the perfect match for Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: I would all I mean, I think the overlap is also, yeah, Virginia and Notre Dame, Stanford and Notre Dame is not terribly far off the kind of academics. But the thing that I think Notre Dame and Michigan also have is they recruit students, not football players, but also football players nationally. So my wife is from Chicago. She's not local too in Michigan, but that is, you know, regionally local. But I knew a lot of kids from Calbasa's High went to Michigan. A lot of like Long Island, New York, New Jersey, Michigan. So same for Notre Dame with just like point to better GPAs anything for Penn State. Penn State's Ohio State isolated tradition, creative now.
Speaker 1: On the field, obnoxious sometimes as a fan base. Sometimes sometimes I'm gonna have to I have to play koy here. Okay, I'm gonna pull up pen Live comments real quick. I think it's a bio state.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but give me something out of the region.
Speaker 1: Florida State.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's not bad. I mean you had the long, long, long time coaches. That's still a looming shadow in a number of ways. Right, yep, another obnoxious quality. Sometimes you've got, you know, big enthusiastic recruiters. Yet to see the success for Willie Taggert. Okay, I think that's pretty good Penn State in Florida State.
Speaker 1: What about Oregon?
Speaker 2: Oregon is off the beaten path a little in the region. You know, there's another school that traditionally has done better, but they've been the up and comer, although now it's sort of back and forth. Oklahoma State TCU. I don't know if there's a team in the Big ten acc a little Virginia Tech ish okay, where there's there's a very specific brand and even though it's different at Virginia Tech, Virginia Tech is definitely isolated, you know. It's that that defensive brand, and I think it's very similar in the Oregon spread offense and like the quarters whatever defense that Bud Foster lunch Poilu they play in Blacksburg. I think that that feels like a little bit of a comparison.
Speaker 1: And there's probably a comparison in Boise State as well, just because they're sort of the newcomer, one of the newcomers, flashy in their own right because they are a newcomer. Yeah, we want to address some non football questions. But before we do, Dan, I if people want to ask you, have you made your own personal website yet? I know you were talking about just tasteful nudes something of that variety.
Speaker 2: It will no longer be tasteful nudes, ty, No, I have. I believe I still own Dan Rubinstein dot com and I have thought about what to do with it. So Yeah, the last web domain I bought was not for a website. It was Fartgoblin dot com, which I believe I still.
Speaker 1: Own fart Goblin. Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you know how fart Goblin translates, by the way to English or excuse me, to German. Uh, you live in German Germanic country. Oh there in Pa fart Goblin, yeah, translates to pumpernickel.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: And so if you go to farcgoblin dot com, you go to the esteemed and excellent Charlotte Wilder's author page on espanation dot com. That was a birthday gift to her. So fartgoblin dot com check it out.
Speaker 1: Great.
Speaker 2: Great, you were going to talk about something else.
Speaker 1: I was going to talk about Squarespace. They are supporting today's show. If you're to start your business or some sort of boutique website, as described by my trusted co host Dan Rubinstein, make it stand out with squarespace right now. They've got beautiful templates created by world class designers. They make it easy to turn your idea into a new and unique website where you can showcase your work, your blog, you can publish your content, sell your products, services, whatever it is that you're into. It only takes a few clicks to create it. You can customize everything from the look to the feel, to the settings, to the products that are on said website, and it's all optimized for mobile right out of the box. So nice, nice website. Regardless of the screen that's going to be viewing it. You don't got to worry about installing or patching or upgrading anything ever. They take care of all that jazz for you. And if you ever have a question, if you ever want to know a little bit more about how the sausage is made or if your sausage isn't being made correctly, ooh oh no, they've got award winning twenty four to seven customs or support which is always there to help. Daniel right now, go to squarespace dot com for a free trial, and when you're ready to launch, use the offer code solid sl I D save ten percent ten percent now on your very first purchase of a website or domain that's at squarespace dot com and your offer code is solid Dan Man, I love how easy that is? All right? Where are we going next? Here?
Speaker 2: I like this? We have dueling questions from Espanation acc network sites. Okay, first from the Miami site, State of the yew shout out cam under what arepas or casdas.
Speaker 1: Okay, pause, you know what a case it is. I know, I know what a case idea is. A raypause? Is that how you pronounce that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I don't know if it's South American or Central American. It's I want to say, it's like Colombian salvador. No Salvadoran is papoosa, but is like a stuffed corn cake or like a corn cake sand almost like a sandwich. All right, So if you can imagine like a very thick corn tortilla on a like a griddle, stuffed with meat or vegetables or cheese and sauce.
Speaker 1: And I got to go caesada. It's the only one I've ever had, So I'm gonna go case ada here. It's I can't even say the other one dan, so let's get a Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm going case toda as well, just because I like a thinner corn tortilla. That's all it is. That's personal preference. The one from the Clemson site shaking the Southland just says Clemson defensive line question mark. Yeah, really good and even though you don't, I agree, real good, even though you don't have soundboard.
Speaker 1: Whoa, whoa O. It's a complete dood alert. Right, Oh my god, they all came back.
Speaker 2: I can't off the top of my head, which sidebar is not much? On the top of my head, I cannot think of a better unit going into this season.
Speaker 1: Such a good unit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's the answer to your question. Do you want to ask ask the Braiden one Braiden?
Speaker 1: All right, my roommate and I play tennis once a week in spring and summer. What's the most important thing I should work on to beat him? Now? As in aside here, Dan, huh, I don't know if we've discussed this on the program before. Okay. I have a friend with whom I've played many frames of tennis, many sets of tennis, many games of tennis, frames of tennis. Okay, it was a first word that came to mind. I've only ever beaten him once, and this is after hundreds of games of tennis matches. Sure, I've never beaten him more than like one game here, one game there. I don't know if I've ever actually taken a set. It's not that I'm unathletic, Dan, I suck at tennis, so I am. I am very interested in the answer to this question here as Braiden is is, well, how do you get good at tennis? What is the one thing you should work on? Honestly, like it's reps, You have to hit a lot of balls. But if you have an awesome serve and I wouldn't say speed, if you can, and I'm sure you can look this up on YouTube, but you do have to go out and practice it. If you can develop a good kick serve which you have to put in the time, it bounces the wrong way and it jumps real high up and if you are playing somebody right handed, it will kick to their backhand, which is generally the weaker side. That's my most genuine answer. The easier answer is you have to get in their head because tennis is a mental game, and so I would assume most people who play tennis recreational are just as everybody is, and not in amazing shape. You run them back and forth, you drop shot them a little bit, and it's just wearing them out mentally as well as physically saying things like I'm and this is stuff I tell to my mom to tell her opponents.
Speaker 2: I tweet about my mom's tennis. Sometimes it's ridiculous. She gets in everybody's head because she plays a very like she's the Tim Wakefield of senior women's tennis players in southern California. A lot of slice and weird curving. But it's sort of like saying, and I don't think she does this, like why you move really well for your side?
Speaker 1: Stuff like that is I can't see your mom saying that, no trying ever met in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she she refuses, but I try to get in.
Speaker 1: But what you're saying is that she plays her style of tennis is my style of of ping pong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would, I would. Yeah, it's consistency, it's she slices off of both sides. But I would say, learn a really good drop shot. It's cheap as hell. But if you're playing to win and it's not purely social, you gotta you gotta.
Speaker 1: Pull out everything. That's what I'm saying. Pull it all out, all right, pull it all out.
Speaker 2: Let's go to John, what's the dumbest thing you've spent money on recently? And this answer, this answer will be to be continued, but from what you can say, Yeah, and I went through my recent Amazon purchases and I do have an answer. But I'm actually kind of proud of it.
Speaker 1: Is that's a good idea. Why don't Why don't you go first? Because I actually want to do the same.
Speaker 2: I want Amazon honesty tie. So if you've ordered like a recent bomb sure or and by that I mean b A l M, let's let's go order honesty here. I'm opening my orders now.
Speaker 1: First off, you're living the prime life. Correct? Oh, of course I live the prime life.
Speaker 2: I feel a little guilty about it, but I do live that prime life. Okay, all right, I'm signed in. Yeah please, taco seasoning, USB wall chargers, a six pack of varying length lightning cables, a router, a book about the wire, a book about what is this? Oh, Shay Sano's Book of Basketball? Maybe like the sixth umbrella I've ordered on Amazon in the past year because I'm positive Jody with an Eye has four of them in her office drawer. UH coffee, a humidifier, sony headphones. And this is where I'm gonna stop.
Speaker 1: Ty.
Speaker 2: It's the very end of the page. I got this for camera guy Dave to return to at the end of his honeymoon because he doesn't travel well intestinally poop like a champion Cereal, highest fiber cereal one hundred percent of daily fiber and one point six servings more soluble fiber per serving than other cereals, Cilium colon cleanser, low carb gluten, Holy cow, poop like a champion, and it's a wow bowl of cereal on this box up on a golden pedestal in the clouds. WHOA, yeah, but I stand by that. I'm not embarrassed by it.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I didn't follow up to see how it did, though.
Speaker 1: I Uh. The one that I'm looking through here that I see on my Amazon is I went for one of those I think it was one of those Kinja deals that you see floating around all the time. Sure, I bought one of those Amazon Basics luggage scales. And the way it works is you kind of hook Oh my god, that is really nerdy. Yeah. You hook one of like a strap around the handle of your luggage, and then you connect it back up with this little device and you just pull it up and then it shows you on a little led screen how much your luggage ways. Now. I bought this mainly for solid wife Kate, because she travels a little bit more for the day job. Than I do. I don't think she's ever used it, and I thought to myself, you know, this would be really good when when I'm traveling, I can see if I'm going to be over the limit or I've really only ever been over the limit one time in my life, and that might have been my honeymoon. Most of the time, I don't have enough stuff that I can pack in there to go over, like the fifty pound limit. I spent seven ninety nine. I believe on this device it may never be used more than once.
Speaker 2: I didn't realize you had so much disposable income that you had luggage scale money.
Speaker 1: That's right, look at you. Yeah, all right, there you go.
Speaker 2: I hope that answers your question. That is a ridiculous item. I didn't I didn't know what existed.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I like this question a whole bunch. Even though we discourage these types of questions, I'm gonna roll with it for this show.
Speaker 1: Is a coach question.
Speaker 2: Which Big five conference or Power five? Yeah, Power five conference coach could eat the most hot dogs in one sitting.
Speaker 1: Oooh.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're listening, I assume your brain is going to go to who seems like the biggest eater who seems like it's.
Speaker 1: Going to go to like Brett Beelmo or Mike Leach or somebody not active.
Speaker 2: Right, Mike Leach is the other that's the second biggest coach you could come up with.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no. I'm just saying it's going to go to somebody like that. See that's where I diverged. Hy.
Speaker 2: If you know anything about competitive eating, it's the small It's about the expansion possibilities. Okay, the Black Widow Kobayashi. They're small, but they can expand. And I think being in good shape helps that. I don't know if the muscle prevents expansion. If it doesn't, the answer is Larry Fedora. He has the best yeah, right, the best core in college football. I was going to say Tom Herman because as we know from interviewing him, and if you've done any research on Tom Herman, Tom Herman is a is a Mensa Society member, and so my sense is that he would figure out a way to cut corners, a specific way to dip the bread in the water and eat his hot dogs maybe two, two and a half at a time, in order to game the system. And he's also in that in that slider vein right, like, right, he's not going to be the biggest guy in the world, but he's yeah, you know, he's kind of an average build. Herb's pretty slim. M her Edwards.
Speaker 1: Her Edwards though, would see some sort of like meta properties in the hot dogs and wouldn't eat him he talk about them.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, I'm trying to think, man, I'm looking across the conferences. Hmmm, Brian Harrison pretty pretty trim. Oh he's not power five. I'm gonna go Larry Fedora. You know what, I'm fascinated by.
Speaker 1: Ty.
Speaker 2: This is gonna sound very strange. You know what skinny fat is. Yeah, people who seem skinny but they just have small frames bathing Suco's on. You're like, oh weird, I don't I'm trying to think who would be the most secret or like skinny fat coach.
Speaker 1: It could also be Tom Herman. It could be It really could well could be.
Speaker 2: Man, this is good tweet us who you think is the most skinny fat or strong fat coach, because there's like the fat pack thing as well, but I think skinny fat is more interesting. All right, next question, Let's stick with the herr edwords.
Speaker 1: Thing.
Speaker 2: Will I ask you ever ful Phillips decades long sleeping giant label that comes to us from Brian. And if I'm interpreting this correctly, it's that ASU is fun place to go. So should it tract, you know, quality football players just because people are going to fun places. It's near southern California, the weather's great, and it's in a conference that's not stacked with national championship contenders. So ASU should be able to win a division every three or four years. You know, given those things, will they ever fulfill? It's decades long sleeping giant label.
Speaker 1: I say giant, No, I say no, no, sleeping small forward. Yeah. Maybe I don't know. The whole Herm Edwards thing really has me spooked in. I've been thinking a lot about this in the offseason. So far, I am so spooked. I have no idea which direction things are headed there. You know what we should do.
Speaker 2: We should do a Bizarro show because if we go through different conferences we have and I'm sure we don't agree on all of this, but there's a certain amount of conventional wisdom about each conference that, like Nick Saban will never be bad at Alabama, her Edwards is going to be a disaster at Arizona State. Willie Taggart is going to recruit super well at Florida State. You know, there's just everywhere you look there is conventional wisdom, like an assumed agreed upon talking point. We should do a Bizarro show and figure out how the conventional wisdom can be completely proven wrong. Like how would ASU see? Like, what is what is the formula for her Edwards to succeed at ASU despite all of the like the josh and around about him.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is, we're pretty booked up this offseason, Dan, but yeah, it might be able to fit it in at some point in like June.
Speaker 2: All right, but do you have an answer to like what what is the secret sauce that like here is step and we can talk about it more on our Bizarrow show whenever that happens. But like, give me the short version of no, it can actually work if Her Edwards.
Speaker 1: The secret the secret sauce is that HERM Edwards and his little formula is good that it can build some level of consistency. M and ASU might not be the best team or the most talented team out there, but they're consistent, very consistent on both sides of the ball week in week out, and they're good enough to win nine games a year. Yeah, that I think is is where you'd have to go with it, because that's been a problem for ASU. They've been inconsistent and when one side of the ball is clicking, the other isn't. So if they can get better than average on both sides and do it consistently, that gets them going in the right direction. I think that's right.
Speaker 2: I would also argue that USC may not have a top, top tier coach like they did in the mid two thousands. UCLA has a you know, it could be a situation where Chip Kelly isn't old chip Kelly or previous chip Kelly or bloom or bust.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Utah and Colorado are in pretty good situations, though I don't know if the outlook for Colorado is great and Utah seems like they always sort of fade, have like a November fade after starting pretty well. I think in Arizona is they have a very similar ceiling. I think as a school they've succeeded a little bit more athletically because of basketball on a bigger stage, but it's a division without clear superpowers, having everything together. And the state of Arizona. I want to say they churn out blue chip quarterbacks pretty much every year, it seems, Kyle Allen, I know ASU has a current guy who was a blue chip quarterback. Oregon is getting one this coming season, so there is enough local talent to build around. I would say that is the path of hoping for coaching inconsistency at other programs and consistently getting and having a depth of quarterback that's higher quality than it has been recently.
Speaker 1: All right, where we're going next, Let's go two or three more quick ones here.
Speaker 2: All right, here's a quick one. John O'Meara, you want to read it. Do you have thoughts?
Speaker 1: Best Mike Tyson's punch out opponent? Mm hmmm. So is he saying best in terms of they're the hardest to conquer or just best because they're like the most fun to knock down?
Speaker 2: Who is who is your favorite to face? Who is to you is the most well developed character, most the best defined er.
Speaker 1: I always had a hard time with Great Tiger, of course, you know, with that little spin thing that he would do. I always said, difficult. He was like the third or fourth guy. I always had a hard time timing out that little spin thing he would do. Was it who disappeared? I think it was Great Tiger. It was Great Tiger. Yeah. So for me, it's a toss up between Great Tiger and Bald Bull because bald Bull was another one. You had a time it out when he did that charge right, Bald Bull all the way from Istanbul Turkey did the charge and you had a time it right, otherwise you get knocked down.
Speaker 2: Ty, I'm a showman. I love me some. Don Flamenco, Don Flemaco. Yeah, Flemenco. Isn't it flamenco like the type of Spanish dancing.
Speaker 1: That's what I said, Don funny flamenco. Flamenco. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: I I don't know how we're gonna deal with this this autumn with you saying Mario Crystal Ball. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I don't know what I'm gonna do. I'm going don flamenco. Uh slight but fun.
Speaker 1: I think the most the most fun to face, though, the most satisfying to knock down would always be King Hippo. Hmmm, you knew what you were getting each time, but King Hippo knocking him down. Yeah, he had a good statrum in the mouth and in the you know, he knocked the pants down. That was always fun.
Speaker 2: I'm partial to a good von Kiser staggerback.
Speaker 1: Hmm.
Speaker 2: I like that a lot. But let's go to This was a very strange question, and I assume it's a joke. I really hope it's a joke. If you're watching a game on TV at a friend's house and they ask you to stand for the nat anthem, do you do it?
Speaker 1: Has that ever happened to you? I'm confused by the question because obviously, if you're watching the game, the people that are being broadcast on your television are being asked to stand for the national anthem right at the game. So is he asking do you stand along with those folks that are on TV? Or is he saying literally that the friend is asking the other friends at the house to stand for the national anthem. Yeah, I think that's what it is that has never happened to me before. I was going to.
Speaker 2: Say, if maybe that does happen, and I accept that it's possible that it happens, that would be so strange to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I'm not I'm not taking a stand for or against it. I'm just saying that would be that's that's weird. It seems that it's weird. It does seem weird.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go one more question, one more last one. You choose ty Tye's choice.
Speaker 1: All right, Dan, let's go out on a high note here, just for you. Let's go to chuck. He says, if you had time for only one meal, and you're steering at a barbecue shack, a diner, a burger slash, fries joint, a taco truck, and a deli subshop. So you got like five options here, the barbecue, chicken, diner, chicken shack. Oh my gosh, like six options here? Which do you choose? And why assume that each is an elite version of its genre? Mm hmmm hmmm. Which direction you go? And again, your choices are barbecue, a diner, a burger joint, a taco truck, a sub shop, and a chicken shack. Six options, Dan.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to limit. Well, so we need to know why we're short on time. Are we heading to a big business meeting? Are we going to pick up a child at soccer practice?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: What is what is the time crime.
Speaker 1: Are you going to catch Are you trying to catch a flight?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's say that. Let's see you're trying to catch a flight. You're going to be somewhere where physical discomfort will be enhanced.
Speaker 1: So I think if that is the context, you need to veer away from the taco truck. Oh right, I love tacos. Tacos are one of my favorite things. But taco before any kind of flight is that's a recipe for digestive disaster. Disagree, disagree, but continue. So I rule out taco truck in that in that little world. I rule out barbecue in that world because again, could be stomach issues following barbecue. Love, barbecue could be stomach issues. I also rule out the burger. The burger can bring on some stomach issues that narrow. Don't worried about your intestines. I am worried. I'm on a flight. I know you know what happens when you go up and I'm pressing changes to your stomach purely, but.
Speaker 2: Let's say purely out of taste. Your stomach is fine, but you you know you'll have this food sitting in your stomach for a long time.
Speaker 1: The pressure does weird things. I'm veering away from those three and I'm picking from the diner, the sub shop, or the chicken shock. Those are all a little bit. Fried chicken is just super mellow in there. It's more mellow than a taco truck.
Speaker 2: Dan Oh totally disagree. There's nothing deep fried about it.
Speaker 1: I am going to go very conservative here. If I'm going on the flight, and I probably go either subshop or the diner.
Speaker 2: Diner can be pretty greasy. You get a what a patty melt, some steak fries. Going diner or subshop diner.
Speaker 1: You got options, though You're not pigeonholed into fried chicken or a taco or something that could really helping stomach.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is not a shock. I'm doing taco and not thinking twice. I'm getting variety. I can control portions and starch and heft and greasiness depending on which meat I get. Oh, the variables are so asked with the taco. If I want pastor if I want chicken, if I want to eat lighter, I can do like a veggie taco of some kind. I think you've got a layer of grease with the chicken shack, You've have a layer of grease with the diner, layer of grease with burger fries. There's there's a hef to barbecue that's pretty difficult to avoid unless you get like turkey, which is you know, barbecue. Turkey's fine, but I think it's taco for me.
Speaker 1: All right, we disagree, We disagree to close out the show. Thank you to everyone who wrote in via social media. As we said, the next one of these we do at the end of March, let's do a reddit only yeah version ready. We've got a very lively subreddit out there at reddit dot com, slash r slash solid Verbal don't forget. You can also find us out there on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram. We are about set to start working on a new version of Solid verbal dot com, which we're excited about. That will be forthcoming in the coming days and weeks and months, So stay tuned to that. And what else have we got anything else?
Speaker 2: I think that's it.
Speaker 1: TI. Life is good, well, Daniel, You enjoy your weekend, all right? Hey you as well to everyone out there listening in their off season. Hope it's going well for you. Please do reach out let us know what's on your mind. In the meantime, for that guy over there, Dan Rubinstein, for myself, Tie hillde Brandt. Get you on the weekend. In the meantime, stay signed Peace