Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is alive from coast to coast with Caroline Hyde in New York and Edla Lolow in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: Tech socks fowards oil prices spike again, stoking fears the war in Iran will further crimp energy supplies a fuel inflation.
Speaker 4: Plus, we hear from Michael Dell and the US Energy Department Under Secretary for Science about Dell's work with the federal government on Ai.
Speaker 3: And new details emerged on Apple's entry into the foldable phone category.
Speaker 2: We'll break it down key headlines.
Speaker 3: Iran Supreme Leader has called for the strait of hermuz to remain closed and warn that new fronts may be opened if the war persists.
Speaker 2: Here with the latest in.
Speaker 3: The Middle East is Bloomberg Jermana Vissecchi live from Dubai. And you know those are the two red headlines on the terminal, right, the latest in public address from Iran Supreme Leader that start there.
Speaker 2: But conscious of course.
Speaker 3: That in real time drone attacks continue across the region, including where.
Speaker 5: You are exactly that ed and it is day thirteen now of the Iran war with no signs really that things are letting up. And you know, as you can see, we have actually started working from home today. Many institutions around Dubai have actually advised their employees to be working from home out of precaution. There hasn't been a formal evacuation notice issued, but I think what has happened in the last twenty four hours is the intensity of the strikes has really taken on a different dimension. And what you're seeing here is, you know, the UEE has been extremely successful at intercepting many of the projectiles that have been headed towards them. Out of all of the projectiles that Iran have fired, about two thirds have been directed towards the UAE alone, just to give you an idea here of Kant. But that's not to say that some of the fallen debris isn't causing damage on residential buildings, which is exactly the situation that we're in. So out of an abundance of precaution, we are, of course broadcasting for home. But I will tell you that the tone still coming out of Iran is one of defiance. We had the first statement a couple of hours ago coming through from the new Supreme Leader, the son of the prior Supreme Leader, and he was saying that they will maintain the closure of the Straits of Hormos. They are very aware of the cost that this is inflicted on the global economy and global energy infrastructure, and they've also warned that new fronts could open up and that they will continue to strike on US acids. This coming after a very intense twenty four hours of more vessels being targeted around the Persian Gulf, more fuel depots also being hit set a flame. We've had disruption and oil supply and analysts essmates vary, but any way you look at it, as long as the straits mains closed, what you're going to continue to see is this upward push on the price of oil.
Speaker 4: And Jamana I can only imagine the stress that's putting you on and all of your colleagues, your family at the moment to all to us them a little bit about what you think the impact is written large on your part of the world. The UAE not an oil force, it is a financial force. But how do you think that this focus on all prices as well is changing the tone in the Middle East?
Speaker 5: Well, Ue obviously some very notable OPEC producer and so you know there are two dimensions to this.
Speaker 2: Of course, the focus.
Speaker 5: From an economic perspective is maintaining the flow of oil and ensuring that production doesn't get permanently halted or disrupted. What has happened is some of the key OPEC producers from the region, the likes of Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, iraq Uee, have had to manage their production levels simply because they don't have any capacity left in their store. They're looking for other ways to get that oil out. You've probably heard about this East West pipeline in Saudi Arabia that Saudi Arabia are leaning on as well. In the UAE, there's also Fugera, a pipeline that bypasses the straits as options to get the oil out.
Speaker 2: But beyond the oils dimensioned.
Speaker 5: As you say, look these are this is a part of the world that has spent decades painting this image of a place where financial the financial ecosystem constructure. They've created the whole ecosystem around it to bring in capital and to bring an investment from abroad. And you even saw it when President Trump made a visit almost a year ago to this part of the world talking about the investments and the opportunities in terms of artificial intelligence and the diversification strategies that these economies are pursuing. At risk here is that these projects are being severely tested by and undermined by the geopolitical developments with really no end in sights. And of course this is the reason why GCC states have been one for ages trying to avoid the scenario and two actively trying to work the diplomatic channels to make it stop.
Speaker 4: Emos Jamana Vissecci, We so appreciate you coming live for us from Dubai. Stay safe, Thank you. Now look. A pro Iranian digital activist group Handala, has claimed credit for a cyber attack against medical technology making a Striker Now. The attack crippled the company's global operations, with many Striker employees around the world unable to work due to the breach so all. According to a source and a memoc by blombag News, Striker is still investigating the breach and doesn't know when its systems will be back online. Joining us now are the details? Is bloombag to Patrick Howell O'Neil from our cybersecurity team. And it's actually not the company Striker that's telling us it's an Iranian impact cyber hack. It's Iran itself. How do we know that Striker is dealing with this?
Speaker 6: So yesterday a little bit after midnight Eastern time, computers began to turn off and strike your offices around the world. It was a bit of a frantic scene. Employees trying to once they realized what was going on, unplugged the computers to save the data, and it interrupted operations around the world for the company.
Speaker 2: Employees were sent home. I mean, it was a full stop.
Speaker 6: Data was wiped on the computers and even on phones and devices, even personal devices for employees that had you know, corporate software on their computers, on their phones rather and then Hondala posted taking credit for the attack and saying it was in response to a suspected US strike of an Iranian school and has said that.
Speaker 7: They have a ton of data.
Speaker 6: But Striker is it appears really recovering and getting back on its feet.
Speaker 2: Patrick, this is a case study.
Speaker 3: Right Handala is a pro ranean distractivist group. What can you tell us about Iran's broadest strategy cyber strategy? In response to what the United States has thus far enacted in the region.
Speaker 6: When you think about Iran's cyber strategy, you can easily put it into the context of iran strategy overall in this war, which is that it's defined by asymmetry. I mean, you can think about drones, missiles, the kinetic space for sure, and the cyberspaces just like that. They are looking ways, looking for ways to impose cost on Israel, on the US and on partners of those countries, and so there are opportunistically looking for companies with connections, companies that will make usplash. There's a big propaganda value for doing things like this.
Speaker 2: What the actual.
Speaker 6: Impact is economically, The long term impact of this company is to be determined, but it's a major propaganda win for Iran, and you can expect continued opportunistic attacks like this from the country.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg's Patrick how O'Neil, thank you very much. The conflict in Iran and across the Middle East continues to bring investor attention back to defense technology. Joining us to discuss is Lauren Webster Piper Sandler, Managing director of Investment Banking.
Speaker 2: And that's your expertise.
Speaker 3: It's not just cyber But I look at the Bloomberg terminal every morning for the last couple of weeks, and the stories that are up there in the realm of tech are to do with defense technology. Must have the same conversation with clients on a data.
Speaker 8: Basis, absolutely, And I think there's a couple of thematics that are really driving investor interest in the category. And it certainly started before the current conflict.
Speaker 9: One was this push across.
Speaker 8: The West US, Canada, Europe for sort of sovereign reindustrialization of their defense space. A lot of investment pouring into we want to buy what we build in our borders. Two, more recently, the rotation out of the software sector. The sell doun on AI concerns that money hasn't just sat on the sidelines, it's been plowing into industrial space is like defense technology. And then third third, the current conflict is certainly bringing kind of a microscope to the space and really getting investor interests there.
Speaker 3: In a war scenario, it's hard to determine what actually has changed. Right, One of the data sets we track is non classified or declassified dollars that go to the legacy for ballistics, right, and they go to the same players, the vast majority still to Lockheed, etc. Are you seeing actually this new group of largely private companies get real tangible traction in this environment.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, certainly.
Speaker 8: And there's a couple pockets that really plug into the ballistics space. And you're right, like, we have a huge resupply requirement there after expending so many in the current conflict.
Speaker 9: But one is in sort of the launch capability, and.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of investor interest going into particularly private companies to be able to fuel the launch capability for those ballistics ammunitions. So that's one pocket. The other one is actually kind of the picks and shovels around the industry. We have a whole manufacturing base we need to reconstitute here in Europe saying the same thing, we need to have our supply chain within our borders, and so it's not just ship subs ballistics, but it is the supply chain around that entirely.
Speaker 4: Go a little bit learn not just in defense tech, but we think about cybersecurity at this moment as well. We were just hearing about what's happened with Stryker. How much is that a point of interest? How much of people willing to take on what has been some software anxiety around that area.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, so, I think I think you're right around sort of the interest and where it was, particularly in the SaaS sell off.
Speaker 9: I mentioned previously.
Speaker 8: Cybersecurity was not immune to the sell down, but we see it. I see it as somewhat overblown for a few reasons. One is, companies like Strike or others, they know the threat is still very real in there, and they need effective cybersecurity tooling. So efficacy is super important and a lot of the AI solutions are just starting to get there. Two is cybersecurity is actually going to continue to be a place that wins. It's a beneficiary from plugging AI capabilities into it, and so I think you're going to see cybersecurity companies continue to do quite well. They've done better than the broader software market given both the threat and the opportunity from some of the new AI technology learn not that.
Speaker 4: Any of that set themselves apart that have managed a sell themselves as a platform, not some sort of single point of service, but well broadly have intertwined gender to AI ahead of the curve.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you certainly saw last week Crowdstrikes earnings come out and just really strong performance from the business around this platform story. Look, it has end points, millions of endpoints, billions of endpoints that it is monitoring, and that is a data.
Speaker 9: Mote in the AI in the AI era. Second, they are using AI to really drive.
Speaker 8: Security outcomes for their customers, So you saw that bright spot in their earnings for sure.
Speaker 2: What are you modeling for to happen in the duration of this conflict? What you are as a team discussing.
Speaker 3: Through the lens of different asset prices and how long you think, particularly the volatility in oil, Right, that's the end opinning of what's going on. But the simple question is having anything it's kind of lost.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I wish I had a crystal ball for that.
Speaker 8: But certainly you know there's going to be near term disruption. We have seen multiple points of that this year, first the AI sell off.
Speaker 9: In the market, now the conflict.
Speaker 8: But I think long term, we see a few opportunities with a significant growth outlook, and those continue to be defense technology going from largely private to public over time, and we're really excited about that and we will see yeah, certainly, but in cybersecurity, we expect to see a bounce back to as well on Webster.
Speaker 4: It's been great having you on today of Pipistana. Thank you for your time. Coming up, another eye popping valuation in the AI boom, but going to that private market we just discussed Cursor could nearly double its worth to fifty billion dollars. That conversation next, this is pretty bad tech.
Speaker 3: Cursor is reportedly in talks and a new funding round that would value the company at around fifty billion dollars, nearly double its valuation from just last fall, all according to sources. So the latest Bloomersons hash Mascaranas broke the story with the team, there's a lot of interesting Cursor. There has been for quite some time. They've moved quickly, grown the product. But this is a big jump in valuation. What are the details on the round? Who are the players?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 9: Absolutely so.
Speaker 10: Earlier this month we reported that Cursor has topped two billion an annualized revenue. That's up from around one hundred million in annualized revenue at this time last year. So the revenue growth has just been insane, which is basically investor catnip in this industry. We've also been watching Cursor focus on more in house model efforts, which I would expect is a big part of why they need to raise new capitals so soon after their last round closed just a few months ago. You know, we don't know the lead investors just yet, but we do know. I mean, just looking at the market, so many companies are hitting revenue milestones or even new funding milestones. With yesterday Replet announcing that they had raised at nine billion and.
Speaker 4: Natasha, I mean, we've got the reput CEO joining us a little late in the show, and it just feels that all of these companies are able to thrive simultaneously. The fact that all we talk about is Anthropic and it's cowork and it's coding a bit capabilities open a eyes as well, but still this space.
Speaker 9: For Cursor, Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 10: I mean it's it's a little bit of a cliche that it's not a winner takes all market, because at some point it does dip over into it. I mean, when Cursor launched its product in twenty twenty three, in developers eyes, all the big names of AI were missing. Open Ai didn't have a product, Anthropic didn't have a product. They were the model layer helping these companies, but once they saw Cursor's growth, you know, and other growth. We absolutely saw them put more efforts into their own products. My expectation is this year, similar to last year, we will see consolidation in this space. Last year we saw windsor or of a smaller company get acquired by Cognition. I am watching the same thing this year because to your point, despite the immense growth, there are just so many players.
Speaker 3: You know, see a lot of headlines on the Bloomberg right, Lovable is one out of Sweden.
Speaker 2: I think that's raised money.
Speaker 3: By the way, Curser didn't reply to comment on our story, but I did put on X that Basically, as far as I can tell, Replic, Cursor, and clud Code just all do the same thing in a slightly different way. It is a competitive field, the AI coding agent space.
Speaker 4: It's immensely competitive.
Speaker 10: I mean, think about also this whole idea of people being worried that their jobs are going to be automated away. You see engineers trying all the products, but they are going to pick one at some point, and so right now it feels like there's this arm rates to figure out which is going to be the preferred coding assistant or software development assistant and you know, day by day we see these companies go ahead.
Speaker 2: To head on it.
Speaker 4: Natasha, it's great. You're so much the breaking us in the private area. Thank you very much. In Dean, Natasha Mascaron, is.
Speaker 3: There software firm at Lassian is joining rivals blaming AI for massive staff reductions. The Sydney based company plans to cut sixteen hundred jobs, about a tent of.
Speaker 2: Its global workforce.
Speaker 3: The most ready forward has the software spaceed details. It is the latest one right. The scale is not perhaps the same as what we heard from Block a little while back, but you have the details. Why is it Lassian doing this and what to doing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 11: This is the cool thing to do now if you're a software company, right, if you want to cut costs, you say it's doing to AI. A couple of years ago it was that you were flattening management layers, and today it's that AI is changing the market. And there is some truth to that, right. I mean, Elassian stock is down fifty percent on this year, and a lot of that is because investors are scared they're not adapting to AI correctly. So there is certainly some truth that AI fuels these cuts. But it's probably not quite as direct as some of these management memos make it out to me.
Speaker 4: Oh, the old AI washing debate continues, Brody, and you've just been breaking the news last week the Oracle was likely to be laying off many thousands of people that might be understood, and after their earnings, it feels as though they've filed some formal paperwork. All of this seems to be building. Are we going to hear it from other software names? We've got more earnings coming after the Bell, for example.
Speaker 11: I think it's likely that we're going to keep hearing. I mean, this whole AI job displacement question has been going for years, and it seems like it's only ramping up. Yeah, I mean tonight we have Adobe. Notably, they haven't done a big scale layoff, and they're firmly in this bucket of a company that is kind of really facing a lot of skepticism from the market about their ability to compete in this AI era.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg's Brody Ford, thank you very much, indeed on all things AI, and unfortunately work at displacement. But let's talk about Netflix now. Maybe shelling out up to six hundred million dollars to Qua afflex AI startup into Positive. That's according to sources familiar with the deal. Now the movement mark one of the biggest purchases ever for the streaming giant. Here with more Blueberg's Luca Sure who covers all things media and entertainment, and well, they couldn't get Warner Brothers Discovery, so they're going in on AI. And actually it's cash portion is less, but there's some quotas they should hit.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean the the price was initially described to me as six hundred million dollars. I spoke to a knot different people where there is an earnout that would get to six hundred and perhaps even more. The initial upfront money is less than that, but still a big payday for a company that nobody even knew existed. Really until Netflix announced this deal, you know, Ben Affleck had been out there giving some really interesting public statements on AI, but it seemed just as sort of a curious filmmaker, not as someone who'd started his own company.
Speaker 3: The performance triggers are interesting when you just stop and look at what Interpositive does right. The tools that it makes allows filmmakers to alter existing footage. Talk a little bit about that Lucas. Why it's useful to Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, it's useful on a couple of fronts.
Speaker 12: One is, this is an AI company that is founded by a filmmaker. It's for filmmakers, And if you listen to Ben Affleck talk, you know they don't They don't train on a bunch of existing work that's already out there. You're not going to run into copyright issues in the way that Google, Facebook, Open AI, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Are. You are supposed to upload your movie.
Speaker 12: As you're making it or your TV show, and the model will train on what you have put into it and can then help you change your shots, adapt your shots, take things out, adjust certain backgrounds. And so it's exactly what Hollywood should want in an AI product, which I think is helpful to Netflix because most people in Hollywood are going to be very mistrustful of companies like Netflix and Amazon when it comes to AI. They're going to assume that they are out to do sort of what you were just talking about with with Brody Right job displacement.
Speaker 4: This is a lot of money. How lo is the scale of the engineering talent, the scale of the company. How long has been Affleck been building this basically in stealth.
Speaker 12: The company is only a couple of years old, the staff is still quite sparse. I think the number caught a lot of people, including myself, off guard, which is one of the reasons why we ended up reporting it right that the news that Netflix was buying this company had already been announced. What I was most interested in was when I heard how much they had paid for it. But my understanding is that, you know, the company had been out looking to raise money in the private markets and was getting evaluation north of a billion dollars, and so when they had the opportunity to sell, they didn't get a price quite that high, but it had to be pretty significant for them to consider doing it and essentially become a proprietary technology for Netflix.
Speaker 3: It is interesting we started the segment by saying, like for Netflix, biggest acquisition or deal ever and sort of completely have forgotten about and look past what happened with the Warner Brothers Discovery bid.
Speaker 2: Fold that in where we're at with it.
Speaker 12: Waiting on what it's going to happen with Warner Brothers in Paramount right, Netflix is pretty much out. Paramount CEO David Ellison was on the Warner Brothers lot this week talking to some senior staff. They're trying to get that deal approved by the fall so that they don't have to start paying that the ticking fee they have that would make their acquisition of Warner Brothers even more expensive.
Speaker 3: Bloo invested Kashaw, who is managing editor, leads our screen Time team with the reporting.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Apple.
Speaker 4: Well, let's entry into the foldable phone category. The long awaited device is set to have an iPad like feature when it's fully opened, according to sources lets Kmore and bloombergs Mark gum And, who of course wrote the story, So well, there's going to be a screen on the front, but also the internal screen is going to feel more like an iPad Mini.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is pretty exciting.
Speaker 13: So if you've used an iPad Mini, it has about an eight inch screen, and now this foldable phone, it will be kind of small when it's closed, but when you open it up, it'll be the size of an iPad Mini. So basically an iPad many you can fit in your pocket. And so with that, you're going to see an updated version of iOS twenty seven later this year, and some of the key features will be iPad like layouts for apps that'll run standard iOS. The other cool things here is that it'll be a little different from past foldables and that it'll have better durability, and then it'll also have a reduced crease, so it'll have a market leading crease so to speak. Right now, most foldable phones you see that line in the middle on the Apple version, it'll be much less visible.
Speaker 7: So that's going to be pretty nifty.
Speaker 13: And obviously this is going to be probably north of two thousand dollars, so it's obviously a good thing that they have the technology a little superior to what's on the market today.
Speaker 3: Mark take us inside Apple, not just in the story you put out yesterday or overnight, but but all the reporting on this product over the last few months. Does management feel like this is big for the direction that Apple wants to go, that it's going to be one of the most high volume products, things like that.
Speaker 7: I actually think it's going to be pretty niche.
Speaker 13: You know, they'll sell some maybe five to ten percent of overall iPhone units in a year will be the foldable phone. But it is going to be niche from the get go, obviously because that price point, which puts it at about double what you're paying for sort of the baseline profones, and obviously some people like the current candy.
Speaker 7: Bar style, so the slab of glass style.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 13: They're also working on new versions of the regular profone, so you'll see an eighteen Pro and eighteen Pro Max in the fall.
Speaker 7: Big focus there is on processor and camera.
Speaker 13: The phones will look basically the same as the current versions, and then a year later, as early as twenty twenty seven, you'll see more of an edge to edge phone with more curved glass. In honor of the products twenty year anniversary.
Speaker 4: In Meg's mot Guman always with it will think xactly we thank you. Now in Washington, Tech John Dell has been holding an event with its biggest customer, the US government. Earlier Ed spoke with Dell CEO Michael Dell and under Secutuary of Science at the US Department of Energy that Stario gil who spoke about using AI to advance scientific discovery. Take a listen.
Speaker 3: A lot of the themes that you're trying to get across, and I don't know what conclusions you've reached in the last hour with your colleagues sat next to you, is that either government is getting it right in the United States, or they're not in where they're allocating resource, where they're deploying policy to build critical national AI infrastructure. What are the conclusions you've reached today.
Speaker 14: You know, we're seeing in government a number of the projects advanced from the pilot phase to production phase. And certainly, you know Dario can speak to the ambitious initiatives, but you know we are you know, we have built a platform for open scillable systems to enable all the great sciences occurring in the national labs and beyond. Certainly we have a fabulous example in the DOWT in a cluster that we're beginning to deploy, and all this is about accelerating science, scientific discovery and progress. And certainly you know that's that's a huge parorty. So great to be here with our largest customer, and you know, we're very mission focused and making sure our solutions are enabling the mission wherever it occurs, whether that's in space, out in the field and everywhere else does go.
Speaker 3: There are case studies, right we could talk for example about the progress you've made with any RSC, but zooming out for a moment, if you will, from the DOES perspective, why is AI infrastructure now such a core part of of national security and energy security implications.
Speaker 15: Well, because we're in the midst of computer revolution, and AIS have the heart of that revolution, and it is going to transform how science and engineering are practiced in our nation. The Monday before Thanksgiving, President Trump sign an executive order to launch the Genesis Mission, and within that mission, we seek to harness this computer revolution to double the productivity and impact of America's trillion dollars a year R and D ecosystem and science and engineering are at the heart of our progress and capabilities in national security, in discovery, science, in energy, in health. And the example of the partnership that we have with the Downes system in NURSK in one of our seventeen national laboratories exemplifies the power of using AI to accelerate.
Speaker 3: Science toge is and mister Dell sent next to you delivering supercomputers to the timeline you'd expect.
Speaker 15: Yes, one of the So, for example, in that system that we're standing up, we already have an early access program where we stood up the first generation of nodes of the Nvidia GPUs system is going to be operational for the science community mid twenty twenty seven. So I think one of the characteristics we're seeing right now is that we used to have supercomputing projects that would take a decade to build. Now we're building these things in two years, and that's a big, big change in terms.
Speaker 2: Of the velocity with which it's moving. One of my quotes the government is doing is sorry to interrupt.
Speaker 14: There, please try out leveraging the integrated rack scalable systems that we're building for commercial and enterprise. And obviously there are enormous buildouts in AI data centers as you'r weld aware ed and and so they'll kind of again leveraging that open scalable architecture that we built will accelerate the government's progress in all of its AI infrastructural requirements.
Speaker 3: That was Dell CEO, Michael Dell and Darry O'Gill, under Secretary for Science at the US Department of Energy. Now coming up, startup Sunday raise one hundred and sixty five million as it works toward bringing dishwashing and laundry folding robots into your home. Speak to the CEO.
Speaker 2: Next. This is Wimberg Tech.
Speaker 4: AI coding startup replet has raised four hundred million dollars in a Series D round led by B to B investor Georgian founding the company at nine million dollars. Joining us to discuss the latest funding is Replet CEO. I'm Jad Masad. Wonderful to have you with us, A'm Janden. What's the money going to be used for? Because you're building it up in a swift formation.
Speaker 16: Yeah, there's a lot of product innovation to be done, so we're hiring more people in R and D. You know, Replet is kind of expanding beyond just code. We think that code has become the universal interface for knowledge work. So we're seeing customers of ours. They're not just building apps, although that's a big use case. They're building automations that are building slide decks, they're building marketing materials. They are doing all sorts of things with a replets. So we're expanding that, but we're also expanding internationally. We're seeing a lot of excitement around Replet and places like in Japan, South Korea, I'll say the Middle East. We have this big partnership with out Arabia and that's growing across the Middle East, but also Asia. We were just in India for the AI summit there and there's tremendous excitement there. We've partnered with a Razor Pay it was also a customer, and we're bringing kind of the raplets superpower to developers in India.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot to do.
Speaker 4: I have to do the follow up of if you are with significant exposure and growing in Saudi Arabia, how have things been in the last couple of weeks? Is that still growing as quickly as you anticipate it is?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 16: We haven't seen any any disruption to growth or day to day operations. Obviously, wish the best of the people there and hope things helpe we get to pece system as possible.
Speaker 2: I'm dad. You may see this is not fair.
Speaker 3: But if you put replt alongside Cursor, right alongside poor Code, there are different functions. There are different strengths, but the base functions are similar.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: You actually also have a lot of investors in common with Cursor. How do you manage that and just basically say no, like no, this is what Replet does. This is how we're different, This is our motor, what we're doing best.
Speaker 16: Yeah, So if you look at our customers, our customers buy Cursor buy clod code, but they buy them for their core engineering teams. What are the rest of the company using code? Is democratized now anyone can build applications, can build software, and the most innovative companies in the world are opening their eyes to that and saying we don't want to be left behind. We want our product managers to be able to ship software. We want our designers to prototype and get in front of customers as early as possible.
Speaker 2: And that's not just startups. This is like we're talking about.
Speaker 16: You know, eighty five percent of the Fortune five hundred companies are using replet and in the primary departments is primarily outside of engineering, so we don't really compete with them.
Speaker 2: Had to head on deals.
Speaker 3: The benchmark right now in Silicon Valley. Again, you can tell me if I'm wrong, but it's ars. You know how real these businesses are coming in? How quickly take us inside report? How's things going financially?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean last year we grew one hundred UCTs.
Speaker 16: We went from two point five million to two hundred and fifty million dollars. I said last year that it looks like we're going to be headed to a billion arr in twenty twenty six and we're on track. So I think that's that's really exciting. But we also spend a lot of time just making sure enterprise adoption is going as planned because you know you mentioned Cursor and clod Code, they're going after established markets. What we're telling enterprise is that now you need to decentralize innovation. This is we're creating a new category of you know, anyone can code the enterprise. So so the thing we're most proud of recent as the adoption in the enterprise.
Speaker 3: I'm je Masad Replet CEO. It's great to have you back on Bloomberg Tech. Thank you very much. We have more funding news. Robotics firm Sunday has reached a nearly one point two billion dollar valuation following one hundred and sixty five million dollar funding round. The startup is using AI to develop a robot that can do housework and plans to launch a testing program later this year. Sunday's co founder and CEO, Tony Job, joins us now in studio.
Speaker 2: We just showed some video of Memo. You weren't able to bring Memo with you.
Speaker 3: It's quite quite big and quite heavy, but it's an interesting use case.
Speaker 2: What are you going to use the funding for.
Speaker 3: I guess in the first instance, to kind of accelerate this testing program so that I can have one in my home, or anyone watching Bloombo Tech right now can say, all right, I'll get one of those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one hundred percent.
Speaker 17: I think the bid of program is a really great way for us to all kind of exercise our muscle. I've deployed these robusts into real peoples toms, which is the first time these general purpose robusts are deployed to like real homes as well as decleaning the research focus that we have internally.
Speaker 3: I chair my family in town and they're here to watch the show today and they know full well that you know in the living room is the laundry and it's not folded because of the difficulty in training me to do it. What is the technical challenge on the hardware side, but also software side, dexterity to get the robot to fold laundry?
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, I think the breakthrough is really about the AI that is behind it. You think about GENI as a AI that generate images and texts, but we use it to generate actions. I think one of the most important part is how we gather the data to train this really powerful AI. And what we do is we develop this glove club memory gloves, and essentially we give it to people so that they can do the laundry in their own homes, and we capture that data to train our robusts to do the same thing.
Speaker 4: Skill capture gloves, So basically that's giving the data, the underlying data so that the robot can learn. This was sort of a breakthrough that you made in academia, Tony, But I'm interested as to how the beta is going and how many people actually want them in their homes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have a huge way list.
Speaker 17: We have more than three thousand people who spend like thirty minute like filling up this whole sand of forum, and we're actually in the process of selecting people who will be participating in it this year.
Speaker 4: It's all about getting robots in the wild. Now, I'm interested Tony as to We've been watching a lot of these videos basically on fast forward, they're going at four times the speed than they actually do. What do you think your biggest learning will be in the wild. Where do you think there will be issues? Where do you think they'll really overcome a lot of the concerns people have.
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think for us, we're actually not super worried about speed because essentially, if your laundry, if all your houseworks can be done by the robot, it's essentially like you go to work and you come back to work after eight hours and all the work is done. So the part that we're really dis thing is we do not actually need to train on data that is collective from the robot because we have this whole fleet of memory developers, so our interest and our users interests are almost perfectly aligned. We want feedbacks, we don't necessarily need the data from your homes.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Tech executive producer Jackie Lopez has come in with probably the most important question of the day, which is will it.
Speaker 2: Come with the hat? And why does Memo have a hat?
Speaker 3: For me, probably a more important question, particularly because it's not bipedal, right, is what are you going to charge for it?
Speaker 2: And how are you going to charge? What's the model?
Speaker 17: Yeah, I think the way we think about the robot we build is almost a perfect example of MVP, which is a minimum viable product that we try to simplify.
Speaker 2: We try to lower the cost.
Speaker 17: So in the beginning when we sell it, we're going to sell it for around ten kuss dollar. But just like personal computers, just like phones, so we'll get cheaper over time.
Speaker 2: But it comes with the hat.
Speaker 17: Yes, the hat is really interesting because we essentially imagine a world that the robots are everywhere, the ubiquitous rates, and we really want to make eye contact with the robot. And instead of putting a camera us inside the eyes of the robot, we essentially hide it underneath the hat, so it looks a lot more natural. You can make eye contact with it.
Speaker 2: It's cute.
Speaker 4: Tony Jiao, thank you, CEO Sunday, come back. Tell us how that testing in the wild continues. Investors have been clamoring for early access to share private companies like SpaceX before their IPOs, but they're turning to the wild world of special purpose vehicles or SPVs. They act kind of as a middle man structure whose main asset is shares of other private companies, but there are some questions around who really owns the stock or if it even exists. Bloomberg's Bailey Lipschaltz joins us some more, and you really do this wonderful deep dive. Look, not every SPV is born equal. Some are more questionable than others. But what's amazing is that sort of co founders of Andrail or the hottest IBO candidates are getting sent well SPV terms that they know they haven't issued shares too.
Speaker 2: They know they haven't issued shares too.
Speaker 18: They're very They're a company that is very outspoken about pushing back against these and just kind of the potential fees, and they're if you go on X Palmer and Matt are very vocal about not wanting this to be a thing. And the big question is if there's a market, why aren't people investing in it? And it goes to the whole debate about capitalism. Right, if you are willing to take on these fees and willing to take on the risk to buy Androil at two and a half times its latest funding round and pay a fee to a manager. From the management perspective, why not they're offering the deal And from the investor perspective, hopefully you did your due diligence.
Speaker 3: Bailey to quote the Great Shrek, and much like ogres, SPVs can have layers.
Speaker 2: That was good layers, Donkey.
Speaker 3: And that within it buries a very complicated web of extra fees and what Carol was talking about understanding within those layers, if the stock's even there a tool in the end, if there is actually ownership of real cap table position in a private company.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and I think that goes back to the question of if you're invested in a co invest on the cap table in an SPV, a so called clean SPV, congratulations, That makes all the sense in the world. If you're being pitched an email that's saying, hey, pay me two and ten for access to this SPV. But that's on top that SPV is investing in another SPVs that's charging another to and ten, and that's investing in another SPV that's charging two and twenty.
Speaker 2: Well, congratulations.
Speaker 18: Even if those shares do exist, which there are questions around that, if there is a liquidity event like an IPO or a sale, you may be thinking that you're only paying the initial fees, but in reality what you end up getting distributed is much much smaller because of those carry fees in that management fee.
Speaker 4: Look, FOMO inspires a lot about and already you started to see that behavior in this there is fraud or at least allegations of fraud.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and one person settle for those charges allegations of fraud that they shares never actually existed. So cold outreach, wire me your money. And even though I'm promising you not providing those documents that I actually own the shares of said private company or said fund, I'm putting it in my bank account. And we have seen settlements already. And the more people I talk to you, the more this is potentially the tip of the iceberg because you don't have these issues come to light until there is a forced event. So when there is an IPO, when people say, hey, looking for those SpaceX shares I owned, well maybe they don't end up getting transferred to your account, and that's where the issues show up.
Speaker 2: Bloombost baby lip shots with the big take. Thank you very much.
Speaker 3: That does it carry for this edition of Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 4: Your father and I should come in all the time on Fire at ludlay today on Fire, don't forget to check out our podcast. You can find it on the terminal so it's online on Apple, Spotify and iHeart this is Bloomberg Tech.