Speaker 1: Hey, the folks, it is Sunday, May seventeenth, and it's time to get dopamine. Up Robot has some tricks, some hacks, but I'm told they all will work to make you get happy even when you don't think you can with that. Welcome to this episode of Amy and TJ. All right, you certainly got my attention, ropes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's a way to trigger your brain's happy chemicals without taking any.
Speaker 3: Chemicals, no meds.
Speaker 2: This isn't about what you can drink or eat or what pill you can take. No, this is just some simple tips that will literally and have been proven to boost these chemicals that are in your brain that create a feeling of happiness.
Speaker 1: You can make yourself happy.
Speaker 3: Yes, there are four hap'mically happy.
Speaker 1: This is not you just trying to fake the funk. You know, actually turn on happiness.
Speaker 3: You can change your body chemistry.
Speaker 1: To me, which leads to happiness, a better mood and happiness. All right, then, all.
Speaker 3: Right, you know what the four happy hormones are?
Speaker 1: Yes, because you just hold me them and you're.
Speaker 3: Really good at recalling, aren't you.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to do a Q and A.
Speaker 2: Let's go all right, So the first one is dopamine. Dopamine is referred to as the reward chemical. It helps us feel pleasure as a part of our brain's reward system.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I realized that.
Speaker 2: That that that specifically is triggered by feelings of satisfaction or that you're rewarding yourself for something.
Speaker 1: Yes, isn't that the thing when you get get compliments or awards or isn't that the thing dopamine is triggered?
Speaker 3: Yes, right, okay, yes, that's what happens.
Speaker 2: So the first thing they say you can do is celebrate your wins. And sometimes we don't do that, they said, even sometimes checking off a to do list item, you will get a rush of dopamine if you acknowledge it, like, actually recognize that you just accomplished something.
Speaker 3: Today. We just accomplished something. We're about to go celebrate our win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I'm back to the other things. Yes, we are about to. Because we as we sit here, as we record this, we are in the mythical mystic Connecticut. I didn't know it was such a thing. Yeah it was. It's been a very white weekend for me. I learned a lot about culture. Yes, today, yours this is a hot spot and a draw for a bunch of people because of a movie that I had never heard of.
Speaker 2: And still haven't seen, Pizza. Julia Roberts grew up loving that movie. So yes, we did eat it Mystic Pizza last night to prepare for yes.
Speaker 1: Half marathon we ran this morning. Yeah, just randomly signed up for this about a month ago. And cute little town cue. It is adorable little place and we have enjoy We might come back at some point. But it was a win. It's a big win. It's even in the last couple of miles, like I looked over and said this, we are badass and just look at we just got up on a Sunday and decided to do so. Yeah, I'm celebrating that win. I'll take it. But my thing was when you said it, I go to people who struggle to find the win, struggle to find in other ways bad day. You don't think to yourself, oh I accomplish my check off. It doesn't seem like a big win, but yes, yes it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, So that can be something as simple as that, or and like today, we were just going to drive back and we thought, you know what, We're gonna put the metals around our neck and we're going to go have some brunch and then we'll drive back. So it's about kind of marking those moments and recognizing them. It will surge the dopamine in your brain. The other thing you can do dance to upbeat music. How can you be sad when you're dancing to music, Like, just turn the music on and start dancing.
Speaker 3: Your body chemistry will change.
Speaker 1: All right. It's hard to do when you said, I get it, but yes, we music plays a very big role in our lives every single day, much to the chagrin of our neighbors sometimes who will call downstairs at three in the morning pretty early. Yes, said TJ's at it again. So yes, music is a big deal. And yeah, all our music is upbeat and inspirational and emotional and rouse We like rousing music.
Speaker 2: So yeah, changes your mood. And the third thing they say you can do to increase your reward chemical and they said only do this sparingly and when there is something to celebrate. But it is true and proven according to Harvard researchers, when you treat yourself to a shopping spree, your dopamine spikes. So it's something to remember if you feel if this is something that you're rewarding yourself for, I don't know, something you've accomplished. Going on a shopping spree will absolutely spike your dopamine.
Speaker 1: Well, see, the only people what do they call them a choppaholics or shopping addicts. But there are things sometimes maybe even eating sometimes people things people do to comfort themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah kind of is exactly kind yes, and it and it does.
Speaker 2: But these are ways as long as you can afford it and you keep it obviously to a minimum. But they said, but just even going out and buying the sweater that you've been eyeing because you, you know, either did something you were proud of physically, professionally, personally, whatever, and to reward yourself that there is a real beat and I fit from a body chemical response that you can acknowledge and appreciate. All right, Next up seratonin. This one is known as the mood stabilizer. So seratonin is responsible for boosting your mood. And they say, the number one way you can boost your serotonin go outside.
Speaker 1: Wait, what's it? What serotonin does? What?
Speaker 3: It's your mood.
Speaker 2: Stabilizer and it's responsible for boosting your mood so when you get a burst of serotonin, your mood increases. And the number one way you change your serotonin level for the better is to go outside.
Speaker 1: What does that mean a stabilizer. Stabilizer doesn't increase the mood.
Speaker 2: Yes, so if you're feeling low or sad, if you can get more serotonin, it'll stabilize your mood. It'll make you it'll bring you up from a bad mood. So, yes, it boosts your mood.
Speaker 1: I hear stable, and I hear just solidifies where you already are.
Speaker 2: No, it actually brings you up to actually being in a good mood or not in a bad mood. And going outside that makes sense, they said, even if it's just for fifteen minutes, And if you can go for a walk, even better, And that makes total sense.
Speaker 3: Like your whole mood can change if you just walk outside.
Speaker 1: Especially if it's a nice weather day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean even in the rain sometimes I don't know. I appreciate that.
Speaker 2: The number two way they say you can increase your serotonin levels is to meditate. That that absolutely regulates your mood and can lift you up out of a funk.
Speaker 1: I agree with that one hundred percent. It takes some work. It takes some training, and it takes some patience to find what you like because you have to sit and you have to concentrate and focus, and it takes some training. But man, when you get there, it is it's I highly recommend meditation.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have tried to do it.
Speaker 2: I have not been as good as I have definitely not ever gotten into a regular a routine of it. And I know that that would be so helpful. So I am going to try to do that, even if it's just once a week, maybe on the weekend, even just as a reflection.
Speaker 1: But the thing, when you get into a habit of it, you won't be able to stop. I used to do it every single morning in the car on the way to the stadio. That's amazing ten minutes because you were being driven. Oh yeah, I just want to you're not doing it while you were driving. If you can meditate and drive at the same time.
Speaker 2: Wow, that would be so helpful. Road rage would not exist. What do you know? So the next hormone is oxytocin. Do you know what oxytocin does? Like what that hormone does?
Speaker 3: I did not. It's it's known as the love hormone.
Speaker 2: So it's produced when we're excited by our sexual partner.
Speaker 3: So it's that thrill.
Speaker 2: And it can also be like that feeling of falling in love, that is oxytocin.
Speaker 1: I had no idea, why do we want to falsely produce that?
Speaker 2: Well, because if you're wanting to feel that that rush of oxytocin, that rush of love.
Speaker 1: Basically, why would you want to feel that?
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you want to feel in front of whom?
Speaker 2: Well, just just in general, it's just a it's a fun feeling. So the number one way you can do that is if you cuddle with someone, cuddle with cuddle with your loved one, cuddle with your pet. You will feel a rush of love, that feeling you know, that's like joy.
Speaker 1: It's not just sexual. Romantic, Okay, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: Sexual.
Speaker 2: It can be sexual, but also just can be romantic and romance and the feeling of falling in love.
Speaker 3: And I thought this was interesting.
Speaker 2: They said, the other way you can produce oxytocin is to join a local community, like think about start going to fitness classes, have a regular yoga group, a book club. Basically the feeling of belonging actually when you feel like I'm a part of this group, and I'm a part of this this these folks, and I and I belong and I feel loved. That actually will increase your oxytocin. I never thought about going to a fitness class as making your oxytocin levels go out, but they say it does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's a bunch of other hot people in there working out. She end up, Hey, let's grab a coffee after class this week. No, it's not about the love, please say fitness class. What else? Bible study book club?
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm sure that could be a part of it as well too. Yes, but it's about being in a group and being a part of things, all right. When we come back, we are going to talk about the last of the happy hormones. How do you burst or burst or boost your endorphins? When we come back, Welcome back everybody to this episode of Amy and TJ. We're talking about Harvard researchers have found some simple ways that all of us can boost our brains happy chemicals.
Speaker 3: You're feeling a little down, you're feeling in the dumps. You don't have to resort to some marijuana or a glass.
Speaker 2: Of wine or maybe even I don't know. They're saying you could avoid medicine, that this could actually replace anything chemical that you could try to ingest or take.
Speaker 1: Do they say it's just.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they say it's just as effective, but they say it triggers these chemicals, These actions trigger these chemicals, just like some other medicines might do. And it's available to all of us, and we just have to think about what it is that we're looking for. But inendorphins, you know, people talk about a runners high and I hear about endorphins, but I don't know that I actually knew what the definition of what it is that endorphins do for us. They are called aka the body's natural painkillers.
Speaker 3: I did you realize that or was I just I don't know. Was my head in the sand?
Speaker 1: Yes? Usually, but I know I did not know that. Yeah, I just I'm kidding the same. No, No, it's true though it was a beast joke we've been lately.
Speaker 2: Uh I No. So endorphins, look, each one of these happy hormones have a very specific function within your body chemistry that brings these different feelings of happiness. So yes, I guess endorphins help you get through pain, and I always just thought they were all interchangeable, like, oh, my serotonin levels are up, or my dope mean levels are up, or I want to get that runners high.
Speaker 3: But this is how we actually get through pain.
Speaker 2: And the number one way you can do this not shocking, I'm sure exercise. So we just ran thirteen point one miles. You ran through quite a bit of pain, would you say in doorphins because you were smiling, you were singing, You look like you were in a great mood.
Speaker 1: What was that? I don't know if that's endorphin that that was a mind thing. For me, it was, Uh, yes, I've been injured. It has some issues, but I was one of the better runs. My lungs held up, my conditioning held up, just my foot didn't quite hold up the whole rangement. I felt lucky and blessed to get as far as I did without being in severe pain. So I don't know what role in endorphins played in any of them.
Speaker 2: I bet it played a lot of roles, a huge role in it because you were able to. I mean, look, this was just If anyone has ever run the Mystic Connecticut half Marathon, it is gorgeous.
Speaker 3: It is beautiful.
Speaker 2: We had a picture perfect weather day, but that was one of the I think it might be the hilliest race that I have ever run.
Speaker 3: Was it the hilliest race? You did?
Speaker 1: They were, I guess short, and you could argue even slight inclines, but it was a lot. I was shocked how up and down and there are a couple devils in there.
Speaker 2: There was one in particular, like between mile nine and ten. I thought, why is this hill here right now?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? The end? Oh yeah, I thought the end on an incline at some point. Oh yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: They should put a warning label on the dam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is not flat.
Speaker 2: I told you actually to get you, I was like, hey, I just found this half marathon in mister, Connecticut. It's along the coast, so obviously it won't be hilly. It'll be flat along the shore. I'm just so glad I didn't know what the course was like beforehand, because I would have been freaking out.
Speaker 3: That was very hilly.
Speaker 2: But I do think Look, I was running out of I was running out of gas at the end of it. But it's those endorphins. It's amazing what your body can push through and.
Speaker 3: I do it. I do speak to and I know you do too, babe. Just the runners high.
Speaker 2: It's not necessarily this euphoria all the time, but it is what keeps you going and keeps your legs moving even when you're in pain. So that's pretty cool. The other way you can boost your endorphins. I guess this makes a lot of sense. Watch something funny. Laughter is the best medicine, right, so that actually produces painkillers.
Speaker 3: That's so cool.
Speaker 1: I would highly recommend as well watching stand up comedy. You know me, I have this song in the background oftentimes, and just to hear someone staying up just telling jokes and with the intent of making you laugh. Oh that's I highly recommended Netflix and Hulu. All these folks have all these stand up specials. You'll find a bunch of new comics. I highly recommend that. I didn't realize I seek out comedy. I guess every time I go into the bathroom, I got my iPad and you hear some funny show on or somebody's.
Speaker 3: You love Archer. You always have Archer.
Speaker 1: Archer Constant Joah. I know every one of those episodes, but it's still it's funny to me. So I don't know, maybe I'm seeking this out and didn't even realize.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I think it's cool because you probably didn't think, oh wow, my endorphins have boosted now and that's why I'm in a better mood. You don't even realize it. So it's kind of cool to actually have it laid out this way. I appreciate the way they laid it out, so you could actually say, hmm, if I want to increase this, if I want to feel this, here's what I should do. But a lot of it is about being outside, being active, exercising and belonging, being with people. It's kind of common sense. But when you're sitting alone feeling sorry for yourself, if you can be intentional about just mixing it up and taking some of these and making some of these choices, it could absolutely change your day.
Speaker 1: Can you go through the four right quick again?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Well, Dopamine, celebrate your wins, dance to upbeat music and treat yourself to a shopping spree. Serotonin, get outside, meditate, oxytocin, cuddle with the loved one or pet, join a group, endorphins exercise, watch something funny, so without everyone we hope you.
Speaker 3: Can be happy and stay happy.
Speaker 2: Today, I'm Amy Robach alongside TJ Holmes.
Speaker 3: We will talk soon.