Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories.
Speaker 3: Done done, Hello, and welcome back to another episode of That's Messed Up.
Speaker 4: I'm Kara Klank and.
Speaker 2: I'm Lisa Traeger and we're here talking SVU True Crime, no guest, no guest chats, just more chats, which I'm pretty into. Yeah, I actually, I mean the sickness of SVU and I AMDB is like it needs to be studied. I'm watching Sex in the City and I don't know if you remember when Miranda gets an STD and so Steve has to go to the free clinic and get an STD test. The guy that picks up the Q tip and is like, I need to put this into the tip of your dick.
Speaker 4: I go.
Speaker 2: He looks familiar. Look him up. Only other credit as SVU, only other ones. He only has two credits and got out of the game. But he was in sv It was Inheritance, which we've done, and he was dow Tran.
Speaker 4: But it's like, what the fuck is wrong with me?
Speaker 2: Like it's it's truly tiny scenes in each and I go, I know that, man like and then it happened again. But this is a bigger this is a bigger part. But who they're hopefully they're leading it up to a Sema. I don't know if you're watching it just like that, hopefully you're not.
Speaker 1: And I'm about to start it, but I'm hearing that it's terrible, So I don't know. I'm about to start it, but you know, I'm gonna watch it. It's like it is like comforting to be back in the world. But yeah, but whatever. There's a really hot gardener.
Speaker 2: So Carrie is hires a sexy gardener and he just met Sema and they kind of flirted. He is the psycho I think episodes like you know what. It's like a bunch of like rich kids and he steals cars from the garage and then he's actually a poor kid but a psychopath and he killed the girl.
Speaker 4: The toilet water the toilet water. It's that guy.
Speaker 1: Is that not Logan Green or something? No, I don't know who Logan Green is. He was like, no, Logan Marshall Green, isn't that him?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm sorry, Hawk Gardner Adam Garden. Oh yeah, played by Logan Marshall. Marshall Green, Yes, he's so hot and he plays a really good psycho. But here he's like really sexy and has a beard, and I was happy to see him out and about working. I think he's busy, though it seems like, yeah, he's in like Spider Man. I think he's doing fun. Anyways, he's just like that. So anyways, that's nice and just like that Sex in the City SVU roundup.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am still listen. We're in the time machine here. I know, like this is all gonna sound like a little old by the time you guys get this episode in mid July, but I am just finishing up Secret Lives of Mormon Wives. I'm almost done. I was very captivated by the entire season. I took my kids to go see l e oh the New Pixar.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess it's like the worst performing thing of all time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell us more. But they didn't market out, they didn't market I didn't even know that.
Speaker 1: I supposedly spent two hundred fifty million dollars on making the movie and marketing, and it's like I barely remembered what it was called like before you know, I just look up whatever I'm shi playing and I go.
Speaker 2: That's the thing with the kids. Shit, it could be the worst movie. If it's summer and it's two pm. You're taking your kids, Yeah, I mean my kids.
Speaker 1: My husband took my kids to go see Gracie and Pedro, which was like the most off brand, like a cast of a cast of misfits. I went to see Space Chimps.
Speaker 2: I remember I took my niece and nephews in two thousand and eight to see Space Chimps Space Chips.
Speaker 1: Truly in the summer, especially like if you're just looking to get out of the heat for like a couple hours.
Speaker 4: Like, I will take my kids to anything. Yeah, really staye July eighteenth.
Speaker 2: I have such a memory of taking them because it's like, yeah, we're gonna sit in here.
Speaker 4: When is Wicked for Good coming out, I don't have to fall. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Oscar saw the poster when we were there, and he was really enchanted by it because he keeps thinking Glinda is a it's coming out November. He keeps thinking Glinda's a princess, and I'm like trying to explain she's a witch, and it's really hard for He's like not getting it.
Speaker 4: But she could be a princess witch.
Speaker 1: I mean, and there's yeah, he's like, but she He's literally going, He's like, but she has a crown. I'm like yeah, and he's like, and she has a scepter. And I'm like, Okay, you're right, Yes, you're correct. Oh my god, I.
Speaker 2: Wait, Kristin sorry again old but the NBA Final game, the game seven, Kristin Chenna word's at the Star Spangle banner. Yeah, and I heard someone I thought it was bad until she started hitting those high notes at the end.
Speaker 4: Listen, she was good.
Speaker 2: I think I think most of the men that I was watching it with did not know who that woman was. Really, yes, because I saw people by the end when she really likes catched out this high note and really did it, they were like, whoa, Okay, she got They were like, who's this who's this woman? You know?
Speaker 4: But I don't know why.
Speaker 1: I just assumed you were with gay men. I was like, they don't know who Christian jennowit is.
Speaker 2: But nobody doing my show in Atlanta, you know, talking about Luigi and I mentioned Luca the basketball player in this joke I'm doing, and these three guys are chatting and I go, oh, do you guys know not know who Luigi is? And then one of the gay dudes go, I'm explaining to him who Luca is, Like you, Lucas. I was like, that's incredible. Yeah, no, I don't know when Forgood comes out. But you know, also Arianna and like Cynthia a few weeks back where judges on All Stars Drag Race, so like, yes, yes, all.
Speaker 1: The pictures of my friends that right on it were posting up their personal pictures with them.
Speaker 4: But it's coming out in November.
Speaker 1: It's coming out Thanksgiving time, and I just looked it up. Oh okay, And that's also when Zutopia too is coming out, and I'm excited.
Speaker 2: People are excited well because you know, on Summer House there was like a wild party night and then all the boys ended up in a bed outside watching Zutopia on a laptop together and it was like a wholesome moment.
Speaker 1: Zutopia is a great one. I like the song, the Shakira song. I like the What's Crazy.
Speaker 2: And it's like jokes people have brought it up online and it's like you you teach kids all these lessons, whether it be church, Disney movie, whatever, of like taking care of each other and the little guy and standing up to power and being good, and then as soon as they get old, you're like you fucking liberal tar.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't understand it, Like Zuto, I don't understand how people take their kids to see Zutopia and then vote Republican and then are like no cops, Like, I don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zootopia is truly like and it's like an allegory for how like, okay, allegory crack was desemin into like black communities. Like it's literally like predators versus like people going savage. It's like talking about certain animals in a certain way, like speaking of animals. And maybe it's a I don't want to check further because I want it to be true. But a zebra in Tennessee went missing for eight days. She was on the loose and then they like had to airlift her back to captivity. But it's just her flying by a helicopter through the sky. Oh my god, I guess this is bad to admit, but I did just spark a joint and it is four twenty, and that's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: You did it.
Speaker 2: It's like my body knew. My body knew I couldn't handle it, like it's I'm supposed to be doing something right now. I was out of town for three weeks and I didn't smoke it all during the day, Like I just didn't have weed. I wasn't flying it in out of Mexico. My life was ten times better. I would say, Oh, really an experiment, because I slog through life. When I'm sowed all day, it's like it's more tiring. You're kind of like holding yourself back in a way from like doing I still like.
Speaker 4: Go do life, but I don't know how you do though.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, Like that's why I barely smoke weed, because I can't do life when I do it, So I have to do it under very specific specific conditions where I have like nothing to do.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: Did you find the zebra? Is it real? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I saw it. This video runaway zebra on the loose in Tennessee captivates the nation. I don't know, it's gonna make me watch an ad on YouTube.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but my photos are amazing of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I wonder, but also the zebra wants sea free.
Speaker 4: But eight days that where was it a runaway pet zebra? What was it doing?
Speaker 2: I mean there's footage of it just all around town, skipping down the highway like living life.
Speaker 4: I think it's like, you're not allowed to have a pet zebra, right, Like I know, but I want one. Oh. I see the video, Okay, I see it still.
Speaker 1: I see as still of it in the little sack getting airlifted.
Speaker 4: I see it.
Speaker 1: It's truly wild. Oh my god, I gotta show that to the kids. They're gonna love that shit.
Speaker 2: I also saw another online thing that's you know, because I'm looking at this needle point crocheted thing, someone made me I want a fat beef dog.
Speaker 4: And that was kind of my thing for a while.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I watched this series I think I've mentioned it before, where like it's chefs that are the professionals at what they do and then they blind taste tests at home versions. So like pizza chefs were like eating every frozen pizza on the market and then blindly like reporting on it and then they all but they're so good at their jobs. They're like, this is this brand, this is this brand, Like they do know when they know the science behind why something works and doesn't it and then they pick their favorite of the at home brand. So I've seen dumplings, pizza, pancakes like there's a bunch, but they had a hot dog one, okay, And it's not just a preference.
Speaker 4: It's not my Chicago Vienna beef love.
Speaker 2: A beef dog has with a natural casing is the top hot dog because you want to snap, you want juice, and you want plump, and you want like this the color like a deeper color, and pork and chicken are cheaper. Beef is a more premium meat, and so the cheaper the hot dog, the more pork, chicken and other shit is in it and more mechanically separated the odds that ends. So if it's an all beef dog, it is, it is just better by in terms of these chefs proved it to me.
Speaker 4: It wasn't just me. I guess I was right. I'm right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look we're a Hebrew national house over here.
Speaker 2: But that was in a hot Chris. But yeah, it's like a sheep and test that you want. You want the natural casing has a better snap. But the woman on this the hot dog episode, she was fantastic she she got every single one, and she described everything in such beautiful detail.
Speaker 1: Wait, I really want to know what they said of the pizza. Do you remember which was the best at home pizza?
Speaker 2: No, but I would say the one shocking thing that you're gonna be upset about hearing is overall for all of it. There's another food I've done, and I can send you the link. Like, Trader Joe's always fucks up. Really, they always hate the Trader joe options, well the vegan vegetarian always and like they'll be like this tastes of gluten free, like they just know immediately. Yeah, but yeah, they really are never happy with the Trader Joe's around the Dubble and then the chefs are always shop the chef's like wait what.
Speaker 1: I love this, you know, like cause I love Trader Joe's pizza. Listen, I don't eat that much Trader Joe's myself. It's like a lot of stuff I buy for my kids, you know what I mean, Like we shop there and then I eat some of the stuff like that some of the cheese I really like and some of that, you know whatever, But like my.
Speaker 4: Kids are more eating like the food.
Speaker 2: So the channel well there's also jokes now where it's like you have to go to Trader Joe's and then a different store because the Trader Joe's is.
Speaker 4: Just like snacks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they don't, and they don't have anything brand name, Like you want goldfish, you have to buy like their Cheddar rockets.
Speaker 4: It's not the same. No, So the.
Speaker 2: Channel I watched this is epic Epicurious. Epicurious. Yeah I've heard of that. Oh okay, cool, So yeah you could watch it. I mean, if you don't want to go through I watch them.
Speaker 4: I knew.
Speaker 2: I watched another and the mac and cheese one as well. But the people are very knowledgeable. They really get incredibly like well versed, and they are like one of them was just like plump them while you cook them. This is a ballpark and I know it, you know. But their favorite actually they liked the Nathans. I'm trying to think what other and then there was like a fancy brand. They actually didn't like the Hebrew National, which was upsetting for me.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's like what I ate as a kid. So that's like what I buy for Oscar. No, Hebrew kosher is better. All beef is better. It's not just preference.
Speaker 2: It's not just that these fucking science chefs explained why the beef dog is the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Curious has like also recipes, like it's a recipe site too, so I like I've seen their recipes before.
Speaker 4: Good stuff on.
Speaker 2: She's experts gonna Oh there's one She's expert tries every trader Joe's cheese. Oh okay, Oh, I've done the frozen burrito one too. I think I've I think I've watched a lot of these. Oh and I watched the Ramen one. That's what got me involved. That's what got me involved. But let's start. I mean I've talked about Yeah, I feel like I've been babbling up a fucking storm. I'm sorry.
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, that's okay.
Speaker 1: Let's get going because we have a big episode for you today and it's very listen. I liked we recorded this in a few weeks in advance of the date that this is coming out, because we're traveling for summer. But I don't think everything's gonna be cleared up by the time we do this episode, so I think it's still gonna be timely. So get into it, all right, Oh my god, you know us we have to be timely, so we are doing the episode Anchor Season eleven, Episode ten. I'll just say right up, top people, this episode's based off of the term anchor baby. It is an offensive term that you know, the episodes from two thousand and nine. We recognize that, We understand that, but you know, this is what's like written into the episode, so we are going to talk about it. But this is a very timely episode and it's a thin heavy episode and I love one of those.
Speaker 4: So here we go.
Speaker 1: A woman is getting out of a car going thanks for a great night, and starts walking down the street and she's got a walk.
Speaker 4: She's gorgeous.
Speaker 1: And I know this that when I originally saw this episode, I go, that's Yah Yah from fucking America's Next Top Model, and it is. It's ya Ya DaCosta from ATM from the days.
Speaker 4: That I used to watch it, which are early days.
Speaker 1: And she actually started a very extensive acting career after she was on Top Model. She's probably one of the greatest reality show to acting stories that we have. She's been one of my favorite movies.
Speaker 2: The kids are all right, oh yeah, she's the Smark Ruffalo in that one, and she don't something else I like. But she was also fun on that show because I remember one time they were like, wow, yeah, yeah that's a that's an exotic name or something, and she goes, well, not in Africa, it's pretty common there.
Speaker 1: She just stood up for herself in a great way. Yeah, and she's a great she's a great actor. I mean, like, she was a regular on Chicago Med. She's no stranger to the dick Wolf, a regular on Chicago Med for one hundred plus episode. She's also done PD and Fire, so she's she's out here dick wolfing baby. But I think this was maybe her first dick Wolf joint. And she's so beautiful walking down the street and then unfortunately, out of nowhere, she does get just cold cocked in the face, like an arm comes from offscreen.
Speaker 4: It's kind of like where was that person? Was he hiding by something?
Speaker 1: Because like the arm comes out like he was right next to her, and he knocks her right into a trash pile. She is a sex worker, it turns out, and the man who punched her is her pimp, and he's accusing her of holding out on him, and she's like, I swear t Mac, I was but then he finds seventy dollars on her and he's like, well, I know that was one hundred and fifty dollars ride where's the rest of the money. And she's like, no, no, the guy was cheap and he's like, you're lying, and then he rips off her wig, which is very disrespectful, but there is money in the wig, so he did know where to look, and she's running away. I remember when I watched this for the first time, this episode back in the like fifteen years ago.
Speaker 4: This part was very scary.
Speaker 1: She's like a very good actress, Like she's screaming, like he's gonna beat the shit out of her, and like, I'm very scared when I was watching this the first time, I remember, and she's like trying to get away from him. She's like climbing over mountains of trash. He's just like throwing things out of the way. Like it's very scary. How much like bigger and stronger he is and he's very like menacing and then he stops.
Speaker 4: She gasps. They have stumbled over.
Speaker 1: The lower half of a little girl's body emerging from a trash bag.
Speaker 2: He grabs her and they leave. Okay, but he doesn't give a shit. She's like, oh no, it's a child, and.
Speaker 4: He's like, high him up up. Yeah he does not.
Speaker 1: This man is emotionless except for getting his money right. So, now Finn is outside an apartment building yelling like Audrina, so that's her name. Yeah, Yah's name is Audrina and he's like, I thought you got out of the game, and she's like, I tried, but you know, the shelter sucked, the ged class sucked, and my daddy promised he'd be nice to me, and you know, Finn's like, well, that doesn't really seem like it's working out because we also just saw TMAC be very unnice and she also has like a shiner. So she takes Finn to the body of this little girl and he's like, why didn't you call nine one one, and she's like, because the cops don't give a damn about dead sex workers and I knew you would care, so I like that. A lot of people feel comfortable calling Finn on the side, they really do. But Finn says the kid is too young to be in the business. Plus she is wearing a Jesus Loves Me t shirt and Audrena points out. It would be hard to get a john wearing that T shirt, so it's not funny. There is a dead child, but the T shirt is kind of wild, Like it's kind of like when they find the gymnast in Pixies and they're just like sex worker immediately, it's like, not every dead person in an alley is a sex worker. Like she's wearing running shoes and like, I don't know, you know, like that's not necessarily what you would consider to be the outfit I guess, but I guess there's no outfit for sex workers, so they could be wearing anything, I guess.
Speaker 4: But that's always where they go.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it's we're at the credit, so top of act one, we're at Melinda's house. This girl has been dead for twelve hours. She was strangled using a heavy chain like a bike chain or something. She's twelve years old. Melinda found a missing reperson's report. Her name is Ruby Brown. She's a seventh grady at Our Lady of Perpetual Virtue, which explains that Jesus T shirt. But she was not in the sex trade. Her hymen is intact, and Finn's like, how did a twelve year old Catholic school girl end up on dead on a hooker stroll his words. So Melinda's like, well, that's a question for homicide. This isn't a sex crime, but it is a crime against a child, and they do handle those. So I'm confused why there's all this like territorial stuff going on with this case. And Finn's like, well, she looks like a special victims to me, and he wants to notify the mom, so he gets the address. We cut to I hate when they do this. They show a video of Ruby looking so cute and alive and talking to her dad about how she's gonna win a medal and she's really cute.
Speaker 4: Zoom out.
Speaker 1: Finn's watching it with Ruby's mom in the living room. She made the video for her dad, who was stationed in cobble. The mom blames herself. She's like, I sent Ruby to the store for milk. She's down at one hundred times. Why did this happen to my baby? And Finn's like, I'm gonna find out, okay. So this is one of those cases that gets right to the heart of one of the detectives. Back at the precinct, Craigan is reiterating to Finn that this is not an SVU case because it wasn't sexually motivated. And I'm like, what about the kid they found eating out of the trash because his mom was starving him, or the little boy in conscience who was murdered by his psycho kid neighbor. Those are just like two off the top of my head, Like they do plenty of just straight up kid murders that don't have a sexual element. I feel like so, and I'm a little confused why. Craigan's like, we are not taking this, like this is not for a and Craigan's like, kick it to homicide, and Thin's like where it will die, Like the case will go nowhere, no one will do anything. And Cragan's like, well, I don't want it either of them, because like we're already getting shit on our closure rate. And I'm like, well, from where I'm sitting watching the TV show, you guys have like a ninety nine percent closure rate, so I can't imagine how you're getting any shit, Like you guys pretty much solve every case. And Finn's like, so our stats are more important than a little girl, And then in walks Melindo right on Q. Two little girls, another one in the Bronx, same chain pattern, a ten year old named Magda Ibanyez, and she was dumped in a barrel the same as Ruby Brown, which of course does remind me of Dexter barrel girls. The entire season of Barrels Barrels are free, Ky.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, that's not even the best season, but it's the most. It made the most impact on my life. Absolutely. I think about barrel guys, like when I see a group of guys and I just go, oh, I bet you get together and barrel with and barrel.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He is like really really twisted that season, like that whole Oh my god. Oh, but Cragan is convinced. Once he sees the second girl, he's convinced. He's like, I'm gonna call one PP and ask them to declare the pattern. Unfortunately for Finn, when Magda disappeared, the Bronx didn't get anywhere, and the victim's family took her back to Hunduras for burial and they have no plans to come back. And the purp leaves no blood, hair, no DNA. The only signature really is the chain pattern, and Craigan tells him well it's officially a pattern, so congrats, and you're running point on this. So Finn's like, cool, let's get a press release out and Craigan's like, no, no, no, no, no press. We don't want to panic every parent in town. And it's like, but what if another girl gets picked up or like murdered, or another kid and.
Speaker 4: One PP does not give a single fuck.
Speaker 1: So they're just like, you can try to find this guy, but we're not making this a big thing. At the deli where Ruby went for milk, the deli owner knows nothing. I don't even know why they hired an actor to play this man. He's like, cute kid, don't know what happened. So they're leaving missing posters all over the area, but no one has seen anything, and no one will even stop and look at the flyer. Like I lived in New York for eleven years. I have never been handed a missing flyer, but you bet your ass if I was, I would be stopping and going how long has she been gone?
Speaker 4: Like what are we looking for? Are there any suspects?
Speaker 1: Like I would be asking some questions and people are like, you know, they're really playing up the New York stereotype of like not interested and everybody just keeps like walking to like hail a cab, you know, and so like Finn yells at some random woman being like too busy to help find a little girl's killer, and he's like, like I said, he's really taking this one to heart. Munch is like, let's call it a night, and he's like, I'm not going home until I find a witness. So Finn is in it to win it. Back at the house, Finn and Munch return dejected they've got nothing. Finn is still pissed that he can't go to the press because he's like that would really help, and Live brings up a guy she was dating at the Ledger. I think she's talking about Bill Bill Pullman, and she goes, you know, when I was dating this guy, I got to know this woman on the crime desk named Nicole Gleeson. She's like, I could set you guys up, and Finn's like, I don't need any help hooking up. It's like so funny how he's like doesn't get it, Like in the middle of a conversation about your case lives, just like, oh, by the way, do you want to go on a date, like she obviously has a plan, you know, and lives Like, no, dumbass, you're gonna need an alibi about having a drink with a journalist, So like, why do I have to spell everything out for all these men? So Finn gets it now and he's like, fine, Lenox Lounge ten o'clock, Finn is a night owl now playing on Netflix. So at Lenox Lounge, Finn is having a drink with Nicole and the actress that's playing Nicole is played by Megelin at Chikunwoke, And I really hope I'm pronouncing that the correct way.
Speaker 4: I apologize.
Speaker 1: But she is a beautiful actress who has been in a ton of stuff you've seen, and.
Speaker 2: She is stunning, and how much she wants Finn's dick is wild.
Speaker 1: It's why I've never seen I've not even seen Phoebe his wife lust after his dick the way that this woman does.
Speaker 4: This woman wants a piece of Finn.
Speaker 1: So Finn is trying to get her to put this story out asap, and she's like, you'll owe me and he's like, oh, that's a bet.
Speaker 4: I have no problem like fulfilling my end of or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like So these two are flirting pretty hard, and she's like, you got camera ready art, and he's like, you bet, I do school picks of both the victims.
Speaker 4: Okay, Like they are getting it.
Speaker 1: It's getting steamy at the Lennox lounge and she's like, great, school picks always play well on the front page. So I don't know what happens with those two. I don't even think they go home together. But the next morning, Finn goes to grab the Ledger at a newsstand and spoiler, the two girls are not on the cover. It's a panda named Coco, and the headline is crazy for Coco, and it is funny because that is his wife's name, and he goes crazy for Coco, but you know, it's kind of like iced Tea is crazy for Coco, but not a panda.
Speaker 4: He's pissed. He's like, what the fuck.
Speaker 1: As he's like paging through the newspaper, Craigan walks up and goes, it's on page seventeen, and Finn's like it had to be done, and Craigan goes, well, we have to listen to the chief of D's and Finn's like, yeah, unless live or Elliott bends the rules and then you're out on a limb with them, and he's not wrong.
Speaker 4: Those two bendshit all the time. They do stuff all the time.
Speaker 1: And Finn's like, suddenly you're after me for like, you know, going like lives leaked full stories to the press. You know, Finn's got no regrets. He's like, my only regret is I didn't get the cover. And then he's pissed because he's like, if the victims looked like Elizabeth Smart, there'd be a task force on a one million dollar reward. And Craigan goes, it's not about race, Finn, and it's like, sure, Jan, yeah, it is, Like it definitely is. If there was like a killer going out and strangling little white girls on like the Upper East Side, are you joking? No one would send their kids to school, Like everything would be canceled. But it's just, you know, that's the fucking institutional racism that we all live in with it with every day.
Speaker 4: So Finn walks off.
Speaker 1: Finn is like really not respect any of Craigan's authority at this point. He's like, I don't give a fuck. Give me the five day rip. It'll just give me more time to work on my case. And Craigan's like, well, actually, your little stunt gave us our best lead. Two callers from Ruby's neighborhood gave up a supermarket delivery boy who likes little girls. So I don't even know why you're giving him shit, but I guess because the chief of detective whatever.
Speaker 4: So Finn goes to chase down this lead.
Speaker 1: When he gets to the market, we see this guy from behind giving a little girl a lollipop and he's like talking about my favorite flavor is cherry, and do you like grape or whatever, and then Finn slams the sky against the side of a building, and the guy immediately seems like he might be a little bit intellectually disabled, like he's.
Speaker 4: Like, why are you being mean?
Speaker 1: Like that's not like the way a child molester criminal would really like be speaking to you. I don't think like this guy seems like, you know, I can tell from my degree at SVU University that he's like, this is a red herring. But and oh my god, I literally started writing in my notes it's really giving Mark from Lost Traveler, like the boy that was like these are my friends or whatever?
Speaker 4: You know, Oh the episode it is him.
Speaker 1: And then I go and I double check the character's name, and I just happen to click on the actor's name, Michael Barra, And it's also the guy who plays Donnie in Anchor.
Speaker 4: They're the same actor.
Speaker 1: This guy got cast two seasons apart as the same guy and intellectually disabled local boy who possibly hurt a kid but didn't and is just the red herring.
Speaker 4: I just think it's wild. They're just like, bring him back in.
Speaker 1: He's good at that, Like it's only two seasons apart. Like, do these guys know each other? I thought that was crazy. So Finn is giving this guy full court press. He lives in the Bronx, so he brings up Magda. He's like, like, you strangle these girls, Like this is why you did it? This is how like And the guy's like, no, no, I just give people rides and sometimes they don't want to be my friend. But I never heard anyone like I just give lollypops to my friends. You know, Like this is not talking like a guy who is guilty and in walks Kragan, you guess they found another body done done so. At the crime scene at the top of AC two, we see this little boy Scotty Wu getting zipped up into a body bag.
Speaker 4: He was also strangled with a chain. He's twelve years old.
Speaker 1: He's only been dead three hours max, and Donnie's been in holding for six hours, so yeah, like, duh, it's not him. Scotty's parents work at a food place downtown and Finn's like, great, I gotta go tell another parent that.
Speaker 4: Their kid is dead.
Speaker 1: So now we're at chen Wu cafe and the parents are obviously very upset. Scotty looked after other kids. He was our only child, and then the mom goes he was our anchor. And the mom is played by friend of the pod Karen Senley, who we have spoke spoken to. And Finn's like, what do you mean anchor And the husband's like, shut the fuck up, Like he basically tells her to shut the fuck.
Speaker 4: Up in Mandarin.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming, and the mom says, the snakehead did this, and like that's we know, we've talked about that before. That's like someone who takes people across borders or into other countries, and like a lot of times they have very predatory like deals where you have to pay them back for years for getting you into the country or whatever. So the husband does not want to talk to Finn, even though Finn's like, I don't care about your immigration status, like I just want to find out who killed your son. And the dad's like, well, they said not to talk to you, and he's like who is they? And they is the Center for Immigrant Services who they refer to as CIS, and uh going forward, and he's like, call Keiko, so they go to speak to Keiko Nishimura played by Christine Toy Johnson. She's also an SVU repeat customer. She was in Countdown Lust and you might recognize her in some of the Teen Year episodes.
Speaker 4: She plays doctor Celia Lee.
Speaker 1: She's Noah's pediatrician who's like helping when Noah's first getting adopted by Benson. So she's very like the one that's like, oh, he's got a cracked rib and this with his breathing problems and all that. So uh, Keiko says, I know that the Woo's paid their snakehead in full because I'm the one who delivered the money, so I don't think it's this per and she's saying, this is so terrible about Scotty's death, especially after Ruby and Magda, so hold the fucking phone, Like, how do you know all three of these kids, all three families are clients of CIS and the organization was helping them all with their naturalization. And then they look at this huge photo of a bunch of kids and the three victims are in this group photo together. So fingo, So all three of these kids are you know, he says anchor babies to undocumented parents, which is derogatory. But what they're referring to as a child born in the United States, who lets the who because they are an American citizen.
Speaker 4: It allows the parents to stay in the United States.
Speaker 2: And I'm gonna touch on this in when we get to the crime and it's like all propaganda and it's not even a real thing, okay, And it's like truly not how laws work, and it's all it was all man made by Republican hateful focks. Yeah, it's like not even real. Not shocked.
Speaker 4: Keiko's a fucking hero.
Speaker 1: She goes, you call them anchor babies, all the American citizens, which they are, they're American citizens, they're born here, and they're all connected to the center. So your program is a good place to search for targets. The cops tell her, and she's like, well, listen, we get bomb threats, vandalism, hate mail, and then she obviously whips out the stacks.
Speaker 4: Of all the hate mail.
Speaker 1: She's like, we try to ignore the politics and to remind the public that all these people that they call slurs are just like them, living, breathing human beings. And she says Fob's which I'd never heard as a slur before, but I guess it stands for fresh off the boat. And I think I hadn't read that before, but I feel like, Bob, there is a television show called Fresh off the Boat, So I mean, I feel.
Speaker 4: It's definitely a thing we would say to each other.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like if we saw like a fresher immigrant would be like what a fa, Like they're acting immigrant.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why saying.
Speaker 2: Well, I've talked about this, like, that's why I wouldn't wear like denim jackets for a long time, because it just reminded me of my brother landing in America and he was wearing like an acid watched denim and jacket and I was like, that's that's so fre Like IW.
Speaker 1: You're literally signaling to everyone how fresh you are.
Speaker 2: And I was a kid, and so until my like mid twenties, I never wore a Dunhim jacket because it just reminded me of being an immigrant.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, how funny that certain things just like click because I've worn a Dunim jacket my whole life. Like certain things just like have that effect on you.
Speaker 4: Interesting. That's crazy. Wow. I never heard that really.
Speaker 2: I mean, but it's one of those things where definitely like you can't say it, but I can say it, you know, like that kind of a thing. Yeah, because I think because I used to say it on stage and you could tell people would get weird and I would because I, you know, I just am like white and don't have an accent, and so then you'd have to explain yourself in that way. Or sometimes like on stage, we'll be like any immigrants here and then people are like uh oh and then it is normal.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Wow, Well okay, so back to this episode. She horrific, this horrific episode. So Keiko is like, yeah, most of the people that write us are fans of this guy. And she happens to have the TV on and it's this guy named Gordon Garrison, the host of Flashpoint, and he's clearly like some Fox News dipshit, Like the name is so perfect, like Gordon Garrison, I'm surprised it's not real, Like I'm surprised that's not a real guy. That's like a perfect name for some fucking loser Glen Beck type, right, who used to live in my town. So but back to this fake Fox News. They play a clip of this guy, g Gordon Garrison, and he is played by the actor Bruce McGill, who you've seen in a million things. He has one hundred and sixty nine credits. He's been working since the seventies. He was a regular on mcguver, a regular on Rizzolian Isles. He's recently been on the show Lioness. He's in My cousin Vinnie Legally Blonde two. Like that's just me scanning his fucking IMDb for a few things I recognize, Like he's been in a ton Like you see him and you're like, I know that guy, and he's a perfect cast for this. He's got this kind of arched eyebrow that's like perfect for like a smug Fox News asshole, and he's basically doing yeah, like a Glenn Beck imitation and munch hates him obviously, and on his show he's got a guest who is Randall Carver played by John lara Quette, who is a huge part of my upbringing for some reason, even though I didn't watch a lot of night Court, he was a very famous actor. Like when I was growing up, he won the Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy Emmy four years in a row, which like we don't really see that happen anymore, and like night Court was this massive show. He ended up having the John lara Quett Show, I remember, and he was also on Boston Legal, like he works all the time. But he's also in a Clank family classic that I maybe have talked about on this podcast called Madhouse where he's married to Kirsty Ally Casey's laughing. Have you seen that movie, Casey? It's fucking unhinged and I've seen it so many times. It's from nineteen ninety, but yeah, it's like definitely like a nineties movie, like it would be on HBO, And you know, I would just watch anything that came on HBO because we didn't have choices back then. Like my children will never know what it's like to just watch whatever comes on. But like it's basically this movie is about they're this like couple. They've got a great life, they have no kids, They're just like both doing awesome in their careers. They've got a nice house, and then family comes to visit, and then things just keep going wrong and getting fucked up, and the house just like more family keeps coming and it becomes this like psychotic where they're like, get them out of our house, but they like can't.
Speaker 4: Like it's I remember there's like a joke in it with that was like.
Speaker 2: A nineties thing though a lot of movies about guests. Y. Yeah, yet like going on like people Uncle Buck or whatnot. Right, that's the one therapist, Like just someone's in your home and you don't want them there. I can't kick them out totally. That's the thing of the past.
Speaker 1: Like one of the family members is pregnant and something happens where the doctor's like she's got to be on bed rush can't travel, so she has to spend the rest of her pregnancy at their house. And she's all like chained up in this bed with like her legs up and stuff, and she's talking about.
Speaker 4: The baby names.
Speaker 1: I remember her being like, well I was thinking about Treblinka, which is a concentration camp, and like there's just these crazy jokes in the movie that I remember when I'm ten years old being like what.
Speaker 4: The fuck is this movie?
Speaker 1: And so like I remember it's like where I learned what cocaine looks like.
Speaker 4: I mean, that movie was.
Speaker 1: Like a serious but it's like it obviously devolves and is wild and crazy. But yeah, those mad cat movies of like things just keep going wrong. We're such a huge genre in the nineties and eighties, and they're just like, I don't know, they're not really like they don't happen as much anymore unless it's like a Safty brother film and it makes you want to like rip your skin off because it's so stressful. But Carver, uh John Leraquat is playing Randall Carver, okay, and he's a lawyer who I guess is like very liberal and loves the ACLU, but he hates cops. So Finn does not like him, and he's making case on the show Like this is like basically something that I don't even think happens that much anymore, where like a fully liberal lawyer would go on to like Glenn Beck and talk about his point of view, like maybe it does, but like I know sometimes they like they put liberal people on panel shows on Fox News and stuff, but everybody in the audience is like, yeah, America's going to hell in a handbasket. And then this lawyer comes on like he's gonna change anyone's mind, Like I don't know, but he's making the case that these are just families trying to live the American dream. We're all immigrants, like we all came to this country from somewhere else. And he's, you know, he's correct, all his ideas are correct. And then this Garrison guy takes a page right out of the Maga playbook, which is terrifying because this aired fifteen years ago, and he's like, no, my audience are honest citizens, and they're tired of these criminals overrunning their neighborhoods.
Speaker 4: Like again, like I just I live in Los.
Speaker 1: Angeles where these fucking ice raids are happening, and these are not criminals that are getting kidnapped off the street.
Speaker 4: So it's fucked. So Carver says like.
Speaker 2: But even these idea of these criminals, it's like the people most scared of this self, like stay out of our fucking city. Yeah, if you're scared of all these immigrants, good, you live on a farm. No one gives a shit about you. Like, why are you so concerned? Do you hate us all? We're all heathens from hell, so let us fucking burn, Like Lee, I don't understand it. I don't understand being like acting tough but being scared of these immigrants. I don't understand how that works. How you're like yeah, I mean and then like you're scared of what a man at a Chinese restaurant?
Speaker 4: What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just like classic scapegoating. You know.
Speaker 1: It's just like they are upset that their lives aren't going well and they need someone to blame, and this is who the government is telling them to blame instead of the fucking billionaires and you know everybody, like the people that are really in charge. So Carver is actually like, well, you know who the real criminals are.
Speaker 2: But also so with the casting, with the two of them, they could also each play each other totally.
Speaker 4: Yes, they very much could.
Speaker 1: Also because John Leroquette is speaking in like a Benoi Blanc Frank Underwood type accent, like, well, now the rooster, who's the rooster in Looney Tunes. Yeah, yeah, fog Horn leghorn. Right, it's like very like it's like I don't know where he's from, but I'm like Louisiana, you know. He's like he's basically like, you know, you know who the real criminals are is the police?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: So like and I watched all of House of Cards, like Frank Underwood's the same care kind of character. And so then he accuses the police of turning a blind eye to the crimes against immigrants and against children, and he name checks SPU specifically, and he wants people to meet him at a rally outside of SPU headquarters. And it's like, who would be watching that show that would agree with you? Who would be watching that show and go, you're right, why aren't they finding the murderer of these children? The people watching the show don't care that these children of color are being murdered.
Speaker 4: So it's kind of like, I get it's a show.
Speaker 1: We got to introduce all these character we got to set it up, but it's like, what's happening, Like I don't think like AOC is going on Bill O'Reilly and then going, everybody meet me in times square, like that's not happening.
Speaker 2: You know, she'd probably need to get extra security. I just can't imagine seeing a kid and being like, ill, yeah, I don't care, Yeah, I don't care. Their moms shouldn't have done that. Get them over it, like scum.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it'scum. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now there's like a full blown rally going on outside of SVU or maybe it's the courthouse. I can't really tell where they are, but it's fully like it's half disgusting freaks screaming for immigrants to go home, and like they're not just like chanting, they are like their faces are fucked up, like they're so angry, and they're just like get out of here like this, you know, go home. And then there's like the normal side of protesters that are like this country was built by immigrants and they're doing their things. And then John le Riquette is leading a chant that's a little half assed. It's like, SVU, what do you say, Hey, how many kids are gonna die today? And I don't think it's one that really liked the that would get picked up, you know, I don't think it's like one of the hotter chants. And uh, anyway, he starts questioning Finn right there, and then there's a camera on him. The hot reporter is there, Nicole from the Ledger, and he's like, well, we want to know why this killer hasn't been caught, and it's like, I don't know, didn't they find like the third victim like yesterday.
Speaker 4: I don't know. It just feels like they're always.
Speaker 1: Like, what it's taking so long, NYPD, And so Lara Katz's character is like, yeah, we all want to know why the killer hasn't been caught, and then this wacko comes up and goes, no, we all want to know why these illegal aliens are still here.
Speaker 4: It's like so bonkers.
Speaker 1: But this guy ranting about illegal aliens like kind of touches Finn, like puts his hands on his shoulders, and Finn wants this guy's like nasty racist paws off of him, so he shoves him off, and then Carver yells police brutality, and it's like you, Carver, like you're kind of the problem with like liberal politics, and to a point, it's like, why are you accusing of this like these this psycho racist is putting his hand on a cop who is shoving him. Away, that's not police brutality. You're a lawyer and you know it, so Finn. Then Carver gets in his face, and Finn gives Carver a little baby shove and calls him a jack hole. And maybe that is taking it too far because Carver didn't touch him. But the next thing we see is a slowed down version of it on TV and the Chief of DS is watching it and the chiron at the bottom reads special Violence Unit. Uh oh, and Finn is still in his don't give a fuck era. He goes, whatever, give me the rip. I gotta go find this killer. And then the Chief of d's is like, yeah, go ahead, Totuola, walk on out to your next career. I'm sure you'll enjoy being a mall cop. Uh oh, don't you, Paul Blart, Finn Tutuola. So Finn comes back and is like, all right, I'm sorry. I lost my cool with Carver and the chief He's like, I apologize, and the chief goes, okay, now go say it again to that asswad who's making our lives hell. Asswad seems like such a fifth grade insult, but here we are. The chief of Detectives is using it. Finn shows up at the Carver Justice Center to see Carver and apologize, and we hear the faint sound of yelling coming from his office, and if you have your captions on like I do, it's like you can hear somebody going, you're ruining America. Gordon Garrison says so, and then suddenly a glass door just shatters and inside Carver's office, Finn runs in there there's a dude freaking out, calling Carver's clients rats and roaches. And I'm sorry to bring up something that has touched your life so recently, Lisa, but that is what he says. And he's like, why don't you stand up for Americans once in a while. And the guy who's ranting in there is a friend of the pod, Thomas Sadowski. He is he did play the man with the douchey hat who Rollins was dating from AA and he's obviously a different character here.
Speaker 2: And married to Amanda Sipher, Yes, yes, yes, And he's married to Amanda Seyfrid, another SVU queen who well, it's funny because when he did the pod he said how Amanda was like, we, I mean, I've been on SVU and it's like, yeah, babe, come on down.
Speaker 4: We're we're already.
Speaker 2: It's not based on a crime, I don't think, but we'll take it.
Speaker 1: Amanda Seifert's husband, Thomas Sedowski's there ranting and fucking raving like a lunatic about you know, illegal immigrants ruining our country, and Finn walks in and lays the guy out immediately, which is awesome, and he looks like so shocked. He's like, why are you doing this to me? I'm here to help America. And he's quoting Gordon Garrison and calling Carver a liberal elite, and it's like it is so like fifteen years have gone by and like nothing has changed. These psycho people are still like using the same vernacular, they still have the same ideas. Finn tells Carver this is when you say thank you, and he arrests the guy.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So Carver follows Finn out to the cop car and he's like, well, I won't be pressing charges against mister Thaggart, and he thinks he's just a misguided fan of Gordon Garrison, and Finn's like, you just want to make cops look like the bad guys again. But Carver's like, look, I'll call it even with you if you just let this guy go.
Speaker 4: So Finn lets him go, like even though it's.
Speaker 1: Like he seems like a danger to other people and like possibly himself. But when Finn gets back to the precinct, hot Ledger reporter Nicole is sitting on.
Speaker 4: His desk and he's not that happy to see her. He like sighs.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I don't know, she's pretty gorgeous. It's kind of insane that you're like, oh, not this, and she wants to help. She's like, listen, I wanted that your story on the front page. But my boss blah blah blah. And she's like what arey is mad? Yeah, and she's like whatever, you got to lead out of it, and he's like yeah, but while I was wasting my time chasing the delivery boy lead, the real killer got Scotti woo, which is true. But it's like, Finn, you weren't really like hot on the tail of the killer. You know, like, yes, you could have been using that time, I guess in a different way, but you weren't, like and so yeah, Finn is like super hit hard by this case. As we've said, he's like, I've got nothing. These innocent kids are dying. And then she's really trying to make a move on him and he's not going for it, and she's like, okay, well enjoy your pity party and walks off. And now he's got no killer, no pretty lady. He's sad. So at the top of AC three, Finn is staring at positively enormous photos of these children and they're up on the board and they're just so big. It's like, it's so sad they're dead kids. We don't have to have their pictures. They don't need to be like twenty five by forty, you know. So Liv walks in and Finn is immediately being such a dick. He's like, I'm not in the mood for a pep talk, and she's like, well, I didn't come to give you when I came to give you these, and she drops a stack of files on the desk and he goes, are.
Speaker 4: You kidding me? Paperwork?
Speaker 1: And then he like pushes them all onto the floor and he's really wild for that. It's like, have you met Benson, Like she's not giving you paperwork, that's not even her job at the precinct to like distribute paperwork to other detectives, like, and she's like, actually their employee files for all the vendors at the Center for Immigration Services, which I figured someone who goes in and out of there all the time might be your guy. And Finn's like, oh man, you've actually been running down leads from me and I've been acting like a piece of shit.
Speaker 4: And he's like, you know, he like she talks about how this.
Speaker 1: Is like this case is hitting him different, like he feels strongly because like these are kids of color, but also because it feels like no one gives a shit to him, you know.
Speaker 4: But he's like, all right, Munch, let's get to work. He screams.
Speaker 1: He goes Munch, and Munch like is seemingly snoozing, and he's like ough, and they're like, let's hit the hate mail again. So now after a while they're going through and Finn goes, I'm not finding Dick and I kind of like that he's allowed to say that on network television, and Munch goes, well, there's enough bad grammar here to think that the problem is education, not immigration, And you're absolutely correct, that is part of the problem with almost every right wing talking point. As they're going through the mail, Finn makes a connection though, He's like, holy shit, Joe Thaggard, that's the guy who was attacking Carver, who we let go. He works for the company that shreds this this immigration center's paperwork, so that means he'd have access to all their home addresses. And Finn's like, and I fucking let him go three hours ago. Oh, he's pissed. And then the next thing we see is the cops busting down Thaggridg's door. Finn immediately checks the temp on the coffee pot and goes he hasn't been gone long. It's hilarious, Like he rides straight for the coffee pot and it's like it's nighttime, but I know he made a night time pot of coffee and it's still warm, so he's nearby. In another room, they find this guy's full plan room. Okay, it's picks of the of the of the victims playing at a park like that he's taken surveillance style. They're missing posters with exes through their faces, like, and I don't I don't even really know why there are missing posters because most of these kids like were found very quickly, but whatever, He's got four more kids lined up after them to be next.
Speaker 4: So they bring in families of three of these kids.
Speaker 1: They're all okay, they're all like talking to Stabler and Benson and all the different people, and they're like, where's Finn.
Speaker 4: He's in bay Ridge getting the al Haziz family. Uh oh.
Speaker 1: When he gets there, he finds the mom tied up on the couch with tape over her mouth, and it's very dark, as this show always is, but I guess the dad is like knocked out on the floor. So out comes this psychopath freak faggered with this little kid who's like, I don't want to go with you, and seeing Finn like spooks him enough that he lets the kid go and he runs. So the kid is okay, few, you know, one silver lining of this whole thing, and and Finn runs after this loser and then holds a gun on him, going you better grow wings or I'm a blow your brains all over the street. Another good one, I mean, another one for the coffee table book. So now we've got this crazy psycho in cement room bars and he's like denying everything. He goes I drank some beers and went into the wrong apartment. It's like, we know where you live, like we are the price, we know where you live. We're in Bay Ridge. You didn't walk to bay Ridge by accident. You live in Manhattan. He says he walked through the wrong apartment and Finn's like, oh really, and then you accidentally knocked the dad out and tied up the mom. He's denying everything, which is wild, but he's revealing more of his Bonker's ideology.
Speaker 4: He's like, well, no, we'll never get rid of these people.
Speaker 1: Like if we get rid of one, three more pop up, like someone has to even the score, et cetera, et cetera. Like he's just like saying all these insane right wing talking points. So Finn calls my baby killer and goes, yes, say it baby killer. And then this guy just turns to Finn and says, I only got one word for you, and he calls him the racial slur that is rhymes with uh spoon okay, and he goes and you can see Finn is like ooh, like his face is getting wrinkled up.
Speaker 4: He's seething.
Speaker 1: But first of all, go back and listen to our interview with Thomas Sadowski where we talked to him. We actually talked to him episode thirty two of the podcast, so two hundred plus episodes ago. We talked to him for the episode Rapist Anonymous, and I believe we talked to him about having to say that to iced team, So there's a little bit of I think he gives us a little bit of tea about this episode as well.
Speaker 4: Finn is seething.
Speaker 1: Craigan and Cabot are just watching through the window and Cabit's like, this guy's dead.
Speaker 2: I mean he's always catching straights. Jin is always getting a slur at it. Yeah, he really is.
Speaker 1: He really is, and I mean everybody else that works on the squad as white as hell, so he's like the one that's getting the most racist shit, and Finn will like like capit thinks Finn's about to pop this guy in the fucking mouth, but he's not gonna obviously let this guy have the satisfaction, and he goes, oh, is that the best you got?
Speaker 4: Suddenly this guy is very.
Speaker 1: Cocky like he to me seems like he has a personality disorder because he goes he vacillates very wildly from like super cocky to like, I'm so innocent, you know, like he's really weird, and he's suddenly so cocky, going, well, it's more than you've got, which is nothing. And then finn cell phone rings, and thank god, it's Munch calling from what he calls xenophobe manner, which I love. And he's like, he's got the mother load of evidence. He's got barrels in the garage. This guy has a garage, Like, what's happening. He's got the chain. He's got a chain with blood and skin tissue on it. It's like again with these fucking killers, it's like, you're gonna be so careful about not leaving any DNA or hair or anything at the scene. The only thing tying to it is the murder weapon, and you keep it. I just like, I don't know, watch a television show once. But he's still got the you know what I mean, Yeah, they're never gonna catch me. And I'm and I'm off. He honestly thinks he's doing something good, I think. So Finn tells Thagger, well, we got your creepy little target board at your house, plus all of this evidence, and then he plops the photos of the kids down in front of him, and suddenly seeing the photos of the children, he's just fully admitting the whole thing. And he tells Finn he gets so like innocent looking, and he goes, what I did was right. America's going to hell. They wrecked my life and they're destroying this my country. Like what the fuck, dude, Like, so now you So that Finn goes, well, now you get to be part of the little Rainbow coalition we call prison. Plenty of quote unquote them will be your new pals. So in walks Cabot and she's got Carver with her, and it turns out he's not there to press charges. He's there to defend this crazy person pro bono.
Speaker 4: Finn can't believe it.
Speaker 1: He's like, this fuck killed three kids, and Carver's like, yes, but he did it because his mind has been filled with hate by people like Gordon Garrison. This is classic SVU, like, yes, the person did it, but there's some outside force. There's the actor who tells people not to take their drugs. There's like, you know, we've done there's so many svus where it's like, well, it's actually the toy company's fault, you know, And you know, it's definitely partially their fault. But this is like a classic trope of the show, and he says it just.
Speaker 2: Never works in court because tons of people watch that show and don't commit murders exactly, you know, it's exactly still, And then he has the audacity to say, this man is as much a victim as the three kids, and I wouldn't go that far.
Speaker 1: You could if you want to try to paint him as a victim of rainwashing or something, go for it. He's not an innocent child that was choked out with a bike chain.
Speaker 4: He's not.
Speaker 1: At arraignment, Thaggard is pleading not guilty to our favorite judge, Lois Preston. Cabot wants remand and she gets it. Carver hands a motion to Cabot basically claiming that Thagert was brainwashed, that Gordon Garrison made him commit these crimes, and that persistent viewing a flashpoint convinced him that undocumented immigrants posed a threat to national security. And Cabot's like, oh yeah, and listening to MPR will turn us all into zombies.
Speaker 4: It's like, lol, well.
Speaker 1: We're in the future now, Cabot, and our government is trying to get rid of MPR, so kind of not really an issue anymore. But Carver says that authority figures spewing hate speech is a danger, and Judge Lois agrees to allow the defense. She says, there's precedence for this brainwashing defense. So now it's time on the show where the gang sits around and debates their own personal views of the case. Stabler thinks Saggart is just a loser, bigot trying to avoid a life sentence and lives like, yeah, but what will the jury believe? And Cabot says, well, the brainwashing defense didn't work for Patty Hurst, and she was more sympathetic than Thaggard. I didn't realize that Patty Hurst actually was convicted. Like Patty Hurst, who was kidnapped by the Symbolyze Limeration Army or whatever some kind of culty thing they held her. She eventually got Stockholm syndrome and became like part of their mission, and when she came back, she talked like with flat affect, like people thought she was like a zombie. And yet she still was tried in court for like a bank robbery that she participated in, and she was given seven years, but I think she only served like less than two years, and then the president I think pardoned her, I think, or commuted her sentence or something like that. So that's like wild, But I guess Munch argues that, yeah, pat Patty Hurst wouldn't have done anything criminal if the cult hadn't kidnapped her and hadn't fucked with her psychologically, So maybe that is like kind of what's going on with this guy, I guess, But cabots like Hurst would have been acquitted today, like in the seventies, no one knew about Stockholm syndrome or Jim Jones.
Speaker 4: But Thaggart's never even met this guy.
Speaker 1: Plus, like Lisa just said, millions of people watch this show and they don't go out killing kids. So the jury to consider only if Thaggard is nuts, not like.
Speaker 4: Really anything else.
Speaker 1: But Munch talks about how the Internet and the twenty four hours news cycle has given more crack pots the vehicle with which to command people to do bad shit, and even if they're doing it not directly, like he's not saying go out and kill them, but he's spreading enough like shit that he knows he's like it's going to start something you know, and Munch said, like, did you know that the Department of Homeland Security released a report about the rise of right wing extremism after Obama's election?
Speaker 4: And Finn's like, can we just leave the brother out of it? Munch?
Speaker 1: But he is right, and he's like, I just want them to take radical fringe groups seriously, Like it's not Obama's fault. It's like the racism that's ingrained in our country's history, Like Obama's election. I've listened to like an interesting podcast about this, where, like.
Speaker 4: I think it was a Malcolm.
Speaker 1: Gladwell episode about how we thought everybody thought when Obama was elected that we had sort of moved forward in our racism as a country. But really it's on a lot of the shit we're dealing with today. I'm not saying we shouldn't have elected Obama. I love Obama, but there's just a lot of bubbling shit. Nothing just went Everybody didn't just go, oh, great, now we have a black president and we respect black people and people of color, you know, like it made all these people bubble for a long time, and then Trump fucking unleashed the gates.
Speaker 2: Well, it also was just like, well a black dude's president, So shut up, what do you mean you're not racist?
Speaker 4: How can we be racist if a black guy as president?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: You know it's like that kind of nonsense too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's what's so weird about the right, where it's like you don't want to go to the doctor.
Speaker 4: I just I don't get.
Speaker 2: I just don't get what they're so against, and it's you know, it's it's really crazy. While their lives don't actually change, like when Democrats are, their lives never get worse. Yeah, and I think that it's just literally some people just they want to get mad at something and they're not like there's a little bit of a lack of education for a lot of them. Not all my parents vote Republican, like, but there I don't think that they're stupid people, but there is like the Fox News brainwashing I think is real. And then there's also like these people that you respect and think are smart are telling you xyz.
Speaker 1: So you're just kind of like, yeah, I'm going with that, you know. So it's it's bad. But anyway, now we're at trial. Thaggart is on the stand and he's like, well, I got into flashpoint after the Coast Guard ding ding Ding he was in the military, and he's like, it was between it was between watching Flashpoint and soaps. And I'm like, I don't know, dude, it's two thousand and nine. I think there's other stuff on TV beside soaps and Flashpoint, Like I think you wanted to watch Flashpoint, you know. And he's like, I couldn't get work despite having skills. I lost my car, my house, my girlfriend left, and Gordon told him that all of this happened because jobs were going to illegal immigrants who worked for lower.
Speaker 4: Wages, and he's pissed.
Speaker 1: He's like, I spent thirteen years defending this country and you're just going to give my job away and again, and it's like I don't think that's happening, but go off king whatever you say. And he's like, these people don't pay taxes, not true, they don't pay their hospital bills. Then he goes then their women pop out anchor babies and they get to stay forever. Like it's it's like the language is so fuz so clip from Caleb's podcast and he was just like, what kind of nerd?
Speaker 4: Are you show me your papers? Like who do you why you care? Why do you care so much?
Speaker 2: It's it really you need someone legally he or not, like live your life. It's like they are empty. They are empty and have nothing to live for. Like why don't you just focus on your people and your life and your interests, like mind your business.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like okay, like let's say you've been touched by gang violence, which none of these people have. I don't care either, like I want you to. I want you to find the gang guys and put them in jail. I don't even put them in jail in our country.
Speaker 4: I don't care. I don't need anybody sent home. They're gonna go to jail for murder.
Speaker 1: They're probably not Like what are we talking about, like immigrant like.
Speaker 2: Plan if it wasn't real, Like we know it's a tactic to get these people involved, and like that the people truly benefiting that make money off of this don't even care about this stuff. It's like they're sociopaths that don't care about humanity.
Speaker 4: And then these fools really are believing. It's really it's really hard to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, to wrap my head around like what do I care if you're here legally or not? Like I just don't want to pay, the rich don't pay, and all of these things that you're mad at these immigrants about the rich people are doing. They're they're actually doing the things and taking your jobs and moving them overseas or whatever, and like selling your water to people I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, why.
Speaker 1: Don't we make mandates about these corporations hiring more veterans that have skills? Like why don't we instead of just blaming these random people that I bet like are not even are not taking your jobs in a.
Speaker 4: Lot of way, you know, like I mean veterans. Yeah, well that's because this guy is like shit, you treat veterans like shit.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't you know. I follow some influencer, Matt Burned. He's like Matt XIV, which I know a lot of people allow him, but he posted something that was just like I don't care about illegal immigration and I never have and I never will and I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm like, we live in the most massive country.
Speaker 1: The statistics say that most like most immigrants into this country are not using our welfare like resources, which is all this propaganda. Lie, I don't care, like I never, I do not care like and I never you cannot convince me to care about this being a problem, Like I just don't. I live in a city full of immigrants, and I think it makes our city great. Like if anyone's going to be bothered by it, it should be people that live in these cities and we're not so is alone.
Speaker 2: And it's so race space, Like it's like racism disguised as something else, Like you don't care about immigration, No one ever talks to me about my immigration, right, no one's ever asked how I care what's going on or when I got naturalized, nothing saying no one cares.
Speaker 1: You're not gonna get randomly picked up off the street just because of what you look like.
Speaker 2: You know, That's what I mean. It's just like another racist thing. And I'm also sick of people posting going, this is not what our country is. Where is this country gone? Like get a clue, yea, It's always been this from the moment the whites settled here.
Speaker 4: They've been murdering and racist.
Speaker 2: So like stop like that bothers me too, of like I can't believe this.
Speaker 1: And yeah, really clutching your pearls about it. Yeah, it's like fucking nuts, Like have you not watched footage from like any other decade. It's hard not to spin out. It is hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's really hard not to spin out because it's like it's all the red string. It's also interconnected and insidious and gross, and people are so suffering.
Speaker 4: People are suffering. I mean I literally.
Speaker 1: Watched this awful video yesterday that I can't stop thinking about of this guy getting taken so forcibly and his two adult sons are marines, Like he came to this country, made a better life for himself, not a fucking criminal, had two kids that grew up and fought for our country, and they're just tackling him on the pavement like a fucking animal. Like it's awful, Like I can't, I just it's it's so fucked.
Speaker 4: But but it's all this and that's where do you see the news.
Speaker 2: It's the dehumanization of these people and like yeah, all right, keep going.
Speaker 1: Keep yeah, I'm sorry, Okay, we're back at this fucking trial with this asshole on the stand.
Speaker 4: He's and I'm sorry, we keep spinning out. It's hard, Yeah, it's hard.
Speaker 1: This episode is really like so we've probably never done an episode except for the episode we've done about abortion right before they took away Row, Like this is so what's happening right now? He says, So he makes this comment about the anchor babies and then and then they're like, well but not if their children are dead, right, Like they would have to go back to their country.
Speaker 4: And he goes, I must have been crazy to.
Speaker 1: Hurt those kids, like he's really putting on a little show here, and he's like, I know murder is a sin, but when I watched Flashpoint, it all made sense, and like Gordon said, we had to do something. He said, desperate times call for desperate measures, and a true patriot never shirks his duty. And he says, like that's the thing, like these guys I think on Fox News and stuff do use buzzwords to get like guys that are either military or like these hyper masculine guys, like you got to be a patriot. You got to do your duty, You got to help the country. It's on you and only you. And he's like the guy. Thaggard goes, I'm not smart or rich and powerful, but I love my country, and Gordon says love isn't enough and you have to prove it.
Speaker 4: So I did, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And he's like, I'm so sorry I killed those kids, and he's crying and I don't care. I'm not moved by the tears. He wishes he never listened to Gordon Garrison. And now it's Cabot's turn, and she's also not buying the tears, and she's like, wow, you really thought a true patriot would brutally murder three children, And Gordon Gordon goes, well, this is a war and soldiers have to kill. It's like, you're on the coastguard, bro, Like, I'm sorry, I don't think. I don't know, like I'm not just different branches of the military, but I doubt this guy ever fucking killed anyone in the military.
Speaker 4: And then get ready for this. Cabot's got receipts.
Speaker 1: This motherfucker was dishonorably discharged for calling his CEO a racial slur and refusing to take orders from him because he was he was Latino. And he goes, but I don't blame him, I blame Affirmative Action for that. So Cabot's like, oh, so you've always been a homegrown American racist, even before Flashpoint. And then there's an objection, but Cabot moves on and she goes, So, if you thought this was the best idea ever, why didn't you call up the show and tell Garrison what you did? Like that loser kid who calls up the BJ Cameron show in the episode Obscene, Like at least he's like, BJ made me do it, and BJ says, somebody go do this, and then the kid does it, and then he calls and.
Speaker 4: Says I did it.
Speaker 1: This guy's really trying to draw like a lot of parallels with this.
Speaker 2: Fucking and also like, yeah, you're acting like a tough guy, but you're like, hey, little daddy, do you like the crime I committed?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I did it for you. Yeah, That's how I feel with the Rogan Bros. And all these agro comics. I'm like, you're all sucking the little tit this man and don't have anything without aminy it.
Speaker 4: You feel like you're some like masculine person. It's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, this fucking guy like committed these crimes in this guy's honor, but then never like got in touch with him to sort of say anything about.
Speaker 4: It, and not like a little letter, a little tweet.
Speaker 1: Nothing, but like of course he probably don't want to get caught. But he looks at her he goes, ma'am, that never occurred to me. It's like freaky, how much this guy's personality is sort of like shifts, like he shifts from being like I'm an innocent brainwashing victim to like, oh, yeah, well I did call my coo a bad word, but that's because he should not have the position that he has, and he only got it because of the color of his skin, you know, Like he's nuts, this guy, and he doesn't even realize how to fake it the right way. And Cabot's like, yeah, that's because like you weren't actually brainwashed, you're a murderer who didn't want to get caught. So then outside now I don't know if we're all recess or whatever. Finn approaches Carver and he's like, I don't understand why you're defending the fucking nutball, and Carver's like, well, Thaggard's a symptom.
Speaker 4: Flagger's a symptom, not the disease, okay.
Speaker 1: And Carver puts Garrison in the same sentence with beck O'Reilly Limbaugh. All of them are like a cancer spreading ignorance and hate. And I will say, as somebody who grew up listening to Rush Limbaugh in the car with my father every single day, it was quite easy for me to go, oh no, not these guys. Not these guys. Like I don't know, I think we're all free thinkers. I wish everyone could just be like, yeah, you don't have to just what your parents were watching and getting exposing you to. It doesn't have to be like the end all be all, And I think that is true with a lot of people, like passes down from family to family. But anyway he goes, they convince Americans that immigrants are to blame instead of corporations that don't pay a living wage or a broken healthcare system.
Speaker 4: So Finn tells him save the soapbox.
Speaker 1: Even though it's like he's correct, Finn, like you could obviously just agree with him on his points. But then Carver gets to the real reas why he's defending this piece of shit, and it's because his daddy was in the KKK.
Speaker 4: Daddy was in the clan, and when.
Speaker 1: He asks, when he asked his dad why they did lynchings, his dad said, son, some men just need killing. And then Finn's like, okay, so daddy issues. It's pretty funny, Like he like opens up and is like, my dad was this horrible person and I ended the cycle. And Finn's like, hm, daddy issues. And so he's like, well, if you get baggered off on this charge, then the KKK is gonna be pumped, so maybe you'll get your very own hood. And Carver's like, I hate the Klan and everything they stand for, but they did teach me that a good man can be swept up by evil forces.
Speaker 4: No, your dad was the bad man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And also, what about this thaggared guy makes you think he's good when before he even watched Flashpoint he was discharged from the military because he could not take orders from somebody from a different race. He was a racist from the beginning, Like, I don't It's like, it's really kind of not vibing for me here that this guy's.
Speaker 2: Like no because he can't admit that his dad was bad. You know, it's always like oh, makes me say blah blah blah. It's like, why don't I don't know he liked the lynching. I think that's bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But it's like we didn't even bring in a, we didn't even bring in a huong for this faggared guy. We don't even have like a diagnosis to blame anything on. We're just saying full brainwashing from a Fox News type show.
Speaker 4: So he's like, basically.
Speaker 1: Carver's point is these kids would be alive if Garrison hadn't driven Thaggard to kill And it's a fucking reach, is what I wrote in my notes. So now we got Garrison on the stand and Carver's questioning him and like, like smarminess and scumbaggery is just like emanating off of this guy, like he's a perfect like casting and he's playing it so perfect, like he's so shitty and grossed.
Speaker 4: A second, you see him on the stand and they're like, so in the.
Speaker 2: Past, I think he's a good guy and legally blonde two though he has like a gay dog.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and in like my cousin Vinnie, I think he's just like one of the cops in the town and.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, he's not always bad, but.
Speaker 1: He's good the face, yea yeah, and he they Carver's like, well, how many episodes have you done on immigration and undocumented immigrants in the past year? And he's like, I don't know, and he's like, it's fifty seven. You've done fifty seven episodes about that in a year, Like, there's only fifty two weeks in a year. I don't know how many often this guy's on, like on television, but that's a lot of fucking episodes. And then they're like and how many times have you used xyz slurs? And he's like, I lose track, Like he thinks this was all hilarious, and he's like and then the courtroom is wild. People are getting up, they're yelling shit, like one guy's like, real Americans love Gordon and another guy's like, no, real Americans think he's a fascist pig, and that guy's got merch, Like I don't even know what's going on. The courtroom is nuts, and Lois Preston does not care for that shit.
Speaker 4: She's like quiet in my courtroom.
Speaker 1: So now Garrison is like obviously cowering behind the Amendment as usual, and they're like, well, you can't say anything. You know, you can't yell fire in a building if it's burning, and he's like, well you can if the building's burning.
Speaker 4: And make no mistake, this country is a blaze.
Speaker 1: Like he's even like doing his Fox News performative shit on the stand, right, and he says, I never told anyone to kill anyone. And Carver points out one of his quotes, which is someone should send these people back to where they came from on a boat, or on the back of a truck, or even in a pine box. And he's like, I didn't mean murder, and it's like, you didn't mean murder. You said send them back in a coffin. What are you talking about? Joe Thaggert took you at your word. So now it's Cabot's turn and she's like, have you ever met Joe Thaggard?
Speaker 2: That's the thing too, These dudes that are willing to risk it all for these Fox News punda or whatever they're brainwashed by. These people, wouldn't even sit at a table with them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they wouldn't piss on you if you were fire disgusted by Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now Cabot goes, she asks Garrison, have you ever met Thaggard before? And he's like nope. He goes mail from him? Have you ever messaged with him anything?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, They've had zero contact, And they're like, so, what do you think about this brainwashing charge, and he goes, it's hogwash, folks. I'm just a social thermometer taking the temperature of the people. And Cabot goes rectly and I think it's funny. Judge Lois Preston finds the joke a little distasteful. She's not a fan, okay. And then Garrison quotes Voltaire, which is my dad's favorite fucking quote that he used to quote all the time, and which is one that free speech warriors love to invoke, which is I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. And uh, Cabot is like, well, that's not Voltaire, and I love that. I looked it up. It's not Voltaire. It's like it's from it's a female author who wrote that, and it's from a book that's called like Friends of Voltaire or something like that. But she kind of is like, so you're kind of full of shit, like you don't even know who you're quoting right now, and you kind of bend the truth that you're will like you want. She goes in for the kill. She's like, you know, your views make me on a barf. I don't see some god to his followers. I see an impotent man peddling in hate to line his pockets. Garrison looks at her. See I can't say impotent. They don't, they can't know. How dare you talk about my little wiener. Garrison looks at her. He's seething. This guy goes, watch your tone, sweetheart, and Cabot goes, or what you'll do?
Speaker 4: What to me?
Speaker 1: You are a powerless buffoon, an entertaining clown. Half the people who watch you just watch to laugh at you. No one takes you seriously. And I'm like living. I like love.
Speaker 4: I want.
Speaker 1: I love hearing her like say all this to this fucking guy. And he can't really do anything because he's in court, but he doesn't fucking care. He stands up on the stand, points a finger at Cabot like it's a fucking Salem witch hunt, and goes, you're gonna.
Speaker 4: Let her talk to me that way?
Speaker 1: And immediately some fucking in cel loser follower of his stands up and yells, go to hell, bitch, and like Cabot turns around and you can see that she's like, oh my god, because the courtroom just like erupts, like the liberal start defending her. Everyone in the courtroom starts fighting with each other. There's little like one on one fights going on where people are pushing each other and fighting. Lois Preston has to have the jury removed. It's like pure chaos. And Carver starts yelling like look at this, like of course they're brainwashed. One word from this guy and they're throwing punches. And Garrison sits there like some mug as a bug. He's got like a Donald Trump fucking smug grin on his face.
Speaker 4: But it sucks, and she knows she fucked up. She proved, she proved. Yeah, she went a little bit. She I don't think she.
Speaker 1: Thought that he would actually like sick his dogs on her, and then proved the whole point, you know, And Carver is like, Garrison is responsible for all of this.
Speaker 4: So this is fucked, And the next scene.
Speaker 1: The jury is back, all three counts of murder in the second degree not guilty. First of all, I don't know why this guy. If you're so easily brainwashed, then you need to be in a facility, like you shouldn't be on the street then, like you.
Speaker 4: Are a danger to others.
Speaker 1: If if a Fox News host tells you to do something, you do it like you're a danger to others. But I guess they hear his weepy sorry and they think he's okay. But also, how the fuck was this not first degree murder? I know, we've got all of our law lawyer people that like watch the show but listen to us. But the guy had photos of the kids on the playground, like this was super premeditated, Like how could it be second degree? I don't understand, Like you take pictures, you stalk children, you find out where they are, you follow them and kill them and leave them in a thing. Like that's first degree murder to me, I don't understand, but someone can let me know.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: But Thaggard when he hears the verdict, he's all smiles. He leans over and whispers something to Carver, and you can see their shock on Carver's face, and then Thaggar just walks off. Okay, Like I just can't believe that there wouldn't be, like you have some kind of probation, like some kind of person has to check in on you to make sure you're not murdering.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I just don't. It's crazy.
Speaker 1: But now Cabin and Finn are chatting at the office by the light of a very dim lamp as usual about how this all happened. Cabot's like, it's my fault. I underestimated Carver. I made Thaggard look like a hard knock life loser with his tear filled apology and Juri's love that shit. So also Garrison looked like a psycho with his freaky fans, like it all.
Speaker 4: Was kind of like a perfect storm to get this guy off.
Speaker 1: And now Finn is at the bar, Nicole walks in shows him a paper he finally made the front page, but it's a fucking child killing psychopath. It's a picture of Thaggard on the front with the headline Gordon got me off. And she tries to buy Fin a drink, but he's like, I'm not going to be much fun and like I just wrote damn.
Speaker 4: The way he just.
Speaker 1: Keeps running away from this gorgeous woman who wants to fuck him is wild, like it's so nuts. Then he gets a phone call and it's Carver. He picks up and he's like, what do you want? And then he's like, all right, I'll meet you in a minute. So Nichole's like call me after I'll wait up. I mean, she wants this dick so bad. She's like, I will do anything to see all this deal. Oh wait up, bitch, go to bed. I have showed up at your office. I am showing up at the bar, I am everywhere trying to get you in bed. She's like, just call me, like, I don't even care what time you get home. Call me and I'm ready. And anyway, Finn shows up at Carver's office and Carver's like, do you want to know what Thaggard whispered to me after the verdict? And Finn's like, yeah, sure, lay it on me, and he whispered, thanks, Now I can go kill more of those kids, And Finn's like, whoa, we got to stop him. But then Carver like moves out of the way and behind him he can now see that Thaggard is lying on the floor dead in a pool of blood, and Carver hands Finn this the murder weapon, this like little pistol gun and that's dick wolf baby.
Speaker 4: So in the end we can get Carver off. Yeah, It's like.
Speaker 1: Hopefully, It's like he I mean, he could probably say I have traumatic I had a traumatic life being raised by a racist and it triggered me. And now like I felt I had to stop him. I bet a jury would let him off. But all right, take me. I mean, I'm like, take me through the crimes. But I don't want you to, but I do. It's not dead kids, so I guess, yeah's good. Yeah, dead adults.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Well, first of well, I'll go into the anchor baby of it all. Like Kara said, it's fucked up derogatory and insinuates that these children are just ponds used by their immigrant parents to get a foothold in the US, you know, and it misrepresents the harsh realities of actual life for immigrant people and like people that are dealing with immigration law. And it's much more complicated than like let me land here and give birth. So like it's also it just like I don't know, it means these parents that they're using their children and they didn't want to be just parents. But also a child is to be twenty one years old before they can sponsor their parents for a green card, and then they have to be financially able to support their parents as well, and that's just for five years and then they can try to apply for naturalization. So it is a twenty six year endeavor. It's not a tactic. It's just the fucked up talking point. It's a myth. It's not real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if you like didn't love your kid and you just had them for like a reason to stay in quote unquote the greatest country in the world, which I'm so fucking sick of people saying, like if people like, if you had a kid just for that, you better be super nice to them for twenty one years so that they sponsor your damn green card because they don't have to if they don't want.
Speaker 2: Because I'm thinking about the actress from Orange Is the New Black whose parents got deported like years ago, but like she was born here, so it's like it's not just this thing of like, oh, my baby's a baby and a citizen and now so am I like yeestly.
Speaker 4: That's not it.
Speaker 2: I also didn't know that it takes as long, but like, yeah, so it's like a twenty six year journey at Diana Guerrero, Yeah, thank you. And Republicans are always trying to get rid of birthright citizenship also, so like right now, that is what our president is talking about it's the fourteenth Amendment.
Speaker 4: Like, if you're born here, you're citizen.
Speaker 2: They're trying to take that away too, like as we speak, and they always have and so they yeah, whatever, so then.
Speaker 4: Who get hot?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I just don't I don't understand how you could hear that and not think that's fascist like that somebody gets to decide who are citizens and who are not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but this the term also didn't crop up until the early two thousands. Yeah, and that's very like nine.
Speaker 1: I read this term on this show like when I was I remember being like, what's that like when I watched this in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 4: So, but it's rude as fuck.
Speaker 2: And I say something else on social media that it's like the reason these fucked up people don't get like immigrants or people like risking it all to come here is because they're such shitty parents. They can never imagine risking their lives and they're like comfort their future all of that just for their children. Like I think a lot of parents suck and that's why they don't get it. Yeah, they don't get traversing through like the fucking Amazon to get for their kids, you know.
Speaker 4: And like learning language, like a career.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like people that were doctors, scientists, engineers, where they came from having to do like service work or like different work here where they're so disrespect just so their kid could then go to school. Like these motherfucking hillbillies can't even fathom. They don't even read to their kids. These people don't read to their kids. Of course they don't get immigrants, of course they don't. You don't even show up to parent teacher conferences like and you're gonna tell other parents what they can do, all right, Okay, So this is two cases. The Laramie price case, so a year and a half after New York City, like after nine to eleven obviously, Okay, So so it's the year and a half after nine elevee and obviously, like the city went through a lot.
Speaker 4: I was not here for it.
Speaker 2: But this So it's two thousand and three and there's a series of shooting deaths and they're all targeted at shopkeepers. Shortly before seven am on February eighth, two thousand and three, a man named John Freddie, who's forty three years old, was shot while drinking coffee in an Ozone park Queen's Mini Market. Surveillance showed two men enter the store, one started to shoot and then they both ran out. And then that same day, two hours later, Suckedjit goes by Sammy kind of like my dad Sam and Sam So. Sammy Kajala was fifty and he was found fatally shot behind the counter of his bodega in Brooklyn, and then he also shot at another worker but missed, okay, And these were seen as isolated incidents, so it was just like, oh, you know, like one they're not close to each other. It's just different bodegas. It's shooting crimes, like nothing really happened March. In terms of an investigation, March tenth, two thousand and three, that's when a connection between the murders was kind of put together because there was a thirty two year old man named Albert Cotlier was found murdered in Crown Heights, Brooklyn, in a laundromat where he worked. He was shot once at the counter and that was that. And so then the connection was this forty caliber handgun was used in all three of these, so there was a shellcasing found and so they connected it to these other two, but they still didn't understand the connection of these places and these like why these men were getting murdered. It also was not robbery you're thinking Bodego laundr or whatever. No money was taken at all, Like money would be gone if it was like quoted, which was funny, like Lieutenant John Cornicello former NYC Brooklyn North homicide and his quotes, just like if it was a robbery, the money would be gone. It's like, thanks, lieutenant, thanks amazing. So this but the this storre had like a like a camera and it captured a loan gunman coming in and shooting Cotler after using the shop's bathroom. And then they were able to find fingerprints on a coffee cup outside as well, and then the casing from the gun triggered Cornicello this detective's memory, lieutenant's memory of two other similar homicides that had happened like a month earlier. Both those were on the same day.
Speaker 4: If you remember. So.
Speaker 2: Then investigators again where they were like, well is this racial this? You know? Alberts Russian and he lived with his parents and sister Freddy's from Guyana and he worked as a dairy manager at a market near where he was killed. And he was a married man with a six year old son. And then we have Sammy. He's from India, So this is married dude from India. And so the ballistics came back the same gun has been used all shot in the head as well, and so then idea of a cereal caused a lot of fear through the city and inspector veto Spano.
Speaker 4: Sorry, it's just like it sounds like a sandwich. So that name's related to Jesse Spano.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, the Jimmy John Sandwich, all of our own beautiful things. But he was cold case squad, but they put him on ahead of this. So it's a twenty member task force and it's to catch this forty caliber killer as the case was known. And again like they just really were not able to find a motive. And then so finally they were getting footage from any cameras they could, like gas stations anywhere, and they found a man that was dressed like the person like the shooter. Yeah, and so they're watching footage of him. He's climbing over this iron fence to get into the property. So that's like a huge clue, like the outfit climbing into the property so that was good. We they also noticed that the suspects had a limp and he wore a Boston like a Boston sports hat, okay, and.
Speaker 1: They're saying anything, and he kept his sicker.
Speaker 2: So then a sketch artist came in and created a rendering from the footage and released it to the public with like a twenty thousand dollars reward for any information. But then on March twentieth, there was another shooting out of Brooklyn bodega.
Speaker 4: Two victims. Both these people were from Yemen.
Speaker 2: Mohammed Abdo Nasser a Lee was fifty four dead on the scene and Jakob Aldalim was twenty and he was shot hiding behind the counter and was rushed to the hospital and survived. So thank god. And I'm sorry if I'm mispronouncing the names. I do respect these people. But anyway, so, but there was a witness, so that's what's great. So then the witness said that the shooter was black in his late twenties. And again no money was taken from this scene either, but a new gun was used, and so you know, all of a sudden, everywhere it's the forty caliber killer and so then it's like, uh oh, so he switched it up to a nine milimeter handgun, but they felt like it was the same guy. They asked for the media for help because they were not able to solve the crime, and then a tipster called and claimed, like, I know for sure who this is. So it was at the seventy seventh Precinct and Crown Heights in Brooklyn. NYP detectives interviewed this tipster and it was this man, a thirty one year old named Larmie Price, and he goes, you know, this sketch reminds me of one of my neighbors. But as soon as he left, they're like, no, that's actually the dude, Like that's the guy. Later like this seems too shady. We don't think it's a neighbor. He's talking about himself. And so when he came there, they called him. They're like, we need you to come back for a second interview. And when he came back, they're like, oh, he's limping, like this is our guy, and then he just confessed. He goes, you know, I'm the guy you're looking for, Like what's up with you guys? And this is according to corna Cello, and so they grilled him, and he knew all the details that weren't released as well. Coffee cup the fence. He explained the gun switch like he just knew it. He goes, oh, I sold the gun because I didn't have any more bullets, and then I have this gun. He was arrested, charged with four counts of murder, intwo of attempted murder and when they asked him what drove him to do this, according to Oxygen, he said he was upset over nine to eleven and he somehow thought he would avenge this by shooting people of Arabic and Muslim descent. His mother said to The New York Post, Lol, I'm sorry, but the Post that he started acting strange after the terrorist attacks, and she remembers him saying, I'm going to join the war.
Speaker 4: And he actually did have mental health issues.
Speaker 2: He was put into Woodhall and King's County hospitals, but according to his mom, they just kept letting him go so God, and he was released the day before killing his third victim. So like, in between the shootings and stuff, he was put into mental health facility. They just released him and then the next day he killed somebody's and he just kept talking about how the vibes told him to do it. It was all the vibes. He also had a record of arrests for robbery, burglary, and a bunch of other crimes, and then he told investigators he was taking PCP. He then flipped on the second guy that was with him for one of the shootings that ran out with him. He did not have a gun this other guy. So the DA actually decided not to press charges on this other man because he was more valuable as a witness. So they used him for a witness, and Price agreed to a plea deal for serial killing to avoid the death penalty, and he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
Speaker 4: Jesus. And so that's that case.
Speaker 2: And then the next case is Ronald Ebens and Michael Knitz. They're the perpetrators. Fuck that, we're going to celebrate Vincent Chin. It's really upsetting. And okay, so Vincent Chin, So yeah, this is really upsetting. So Vincent Chin was a Chinese American man and he was living in Michigan. He was a draftsman and an engineering company and he's just like seemed cool as hell to be honest, you had like a really cool hairdoo, you had friends like I don't know, I just it's it's devastating. So a little history about like cars and stuff, so like the Detroit car manufacturing thing plays a part in the murder and the racism of Asian people in this area and time. Basically Detroit was a major car maker. I'm sure all of you know that, but they wanted to avoid paying US standard salaries, so they moved factories overseas and by nineteen eighty Japan had taken over as the leader in the automotive industry. So, like always, they decided to blame the immigrants, and they started blaming Asian Americans for the decline in jobs. So Vincent was celebrating his bachelor party. He was out with two friends, this guy named Robert Seroski and Gary Kovu, and they went out, they were drinking, they were having a good time. They ended up picking up one of their other friends, Jimmy Troy, and they ended up in the same strip club as the two white men Ronald and Michael Okay.
Speaker 4: And this is June nineteenth, nineteen eighty two.
Speaker 2: It was Ronald Eban and his step son is Michael Nitz and he was recently laid off by Chrysler. So witnesses, according to the Asian American Pacific Islander Resource Center, they heard that Ebans confronted Vincent, saying it's because of you little motherfuckers that were out of work, and they got like heated, and Vincent did punch Ebans in the face and they I mean they used slurs. They definitely used slurs against him and he punched them. So but before this, all the witnesses say they like tipped heavily, like that they were amazing tippers, that it was celebration vibes, laughing, like everyone was having a good time. But then like, yes, so these two white dudes are like saying slurs talking about cars, and I'm sure these guys were so stupid they thought this man was Japanese and he's not, and not that it would matter, but like fuck you. Yeah, So whatever fights happened at strip clubs, there's you know. So they get kicked out of the club and the fighting continued in the parking lot. But then Ebans went to go get a baseball bat from this car, and when Vincent his friends saw that, they all like scattered like they started running away, like they didn't want to get beat by a fucking bat. And so Ebans and Knits spent twenty minutes searching for Vincent and then found Choi instead and threw a bottle at him. Just found a different Asian person, so who cares. So they couldn't find him, so they paid a third man that they just saw, Jimmy Perry, to help him find quote a Chinese guy. They didn't say Chinese guy, they used a different serogatory term. And this is according to the FBI interview notes. And so then the arman like were running and basically they like stopped it in nearby McDonald's because they thought like they could seek protection in the crowd and the other two friends would eventually find them at this McDonald's. You got to imagine, it's the eighties. There's no phones or anything like that. So finally they they were able to find him and in the supermarket parking lot next to the McDonald's, Knits held him down while Evans beat him with the baseball bat.
Speaker 4: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Vincent was declared brain dead at henry Ford Hospital and died on June twenty third, nineteen eighty two. And his last words before he lost consciousness were it's not fair. Those are his last words. And that's according to the aapi RC. He suffered two lacerations on the back left side of his head, abrasions on his shoulder, chest and neck and lap and like laps lungs.
Speaker 4: And then he went to severe coma.
Speaker 2: So Jesus And at the time, Michigan crime stats didn't even include Asian ethnicity options, so Vincent was listed as white. This is eighty two and the crime was considered local news. But then the verdict is what angered the Asian community and allies nationwide. This probably could have just stayed like a local case. But Ebans and Knits were originally charged with second degree murder, though a plea bargain brought the charge down to manslaughter. Each were just given three years of probation with no jail time and find three grand What the fuck?
Speaker 1: Why don't you think that people that beat people with a baseball about are a day to society?
Speaker 2: It gets even worse care, Okay, So then and it's got no contests and basically they basically it's they didn't intend to kill him, so that's why it was chiller.
Speaker 4: But the judge. This is what's crazy.
Speaker 2: So Charles Kaufman, remember him, I hope you're fucking alive and you never see piece you piece of shit, is quoted saying these weren't the kind of men you send to jail. You don't make the punishment fit the crime. You make the punishment fit the criminal.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, not crazy, just saying it out loud like that.
Speaker 2: Damn, it's kind. It's like no, even reality's even top chef. It's like, nope, case by case basis, it doesn't matter what you've done in the past, like you fucking murdered a young man with a bat, like you.
Speaker 4: Can't cut, like, and what about them?
Speaker 1: Besides the fact that they were like I'm sorry, what's what's what's a shordinay about this person? Did he go to ivy league college? Does he work with h work with underprivileged youth?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 4: What? What about him is so extraordinary that he gets away with murder?
Speaker 2: The Detroit News printed a large cartoon that showed the shit judge putting a baseball bat in one ear as if it were a pencil, and sharpening it with a pencil sharpener installed in the opposite ear. What was even more fucked was the prosecutor missed the sentencing hearing. There was no prosecutor there because I guess back in these days, sensing hearings weren't considered like important crucial to the case, and so no one was representing the state's case. The judge did not hear from any of Vincent's friends family. His mother, Lily Chen wasn't even told about the hearing. So the judge only heard from these two hillbilly killers and their lawyer, and that was it. No witnesses, no one that was there that night, no one, and so okay, But all of this outrage ended up being a catalyst for the American Citizens of Justice, this organization to be formed, and they petitioned the US Department of Justice to investigate Vincent's case as a violation of his civil rights. So the Department of Justice opened in an investigation, which served as the first time Asian Americans were protected as like you know, like as a hate crime situation and viewed as a protected class. So then it was acceptable to like that it like because of their Asian ness is what impeded on his civil rights because it with double jeopardy, they can't like go back for that case, like I'm you know, this gets kind of complicated. But the federal grand jury indicted Ebans and Knits on two counts of interfering with Vincent Chin's right to be in a place of public accommodation and conspiring to do so. The two of them kept claiming that race had nothing to do with it, but the jury in Detroit did disagree, like the grand jury, and so in June nineteen eighty four, Ebans was found guilty of interfering which in civil rights, but not guilty of conspiracy, and Knits was found not guilty on both charges. So in nineteen eighty four, the US District Court sentenced Ebans to twenty five years in prison, but he was released two years later because of him like an improper prosecution, witness coaching like so whatever, you know, appeals court, appeals court. It became successful because of the errors that the government made during the first trial. So then they tried to do a new trial and retry him, and the trial was moved to Cincinnati, and Cincinnati the jury was you know, like just like Eban's white male, blue collar and cleared Ebans of all charges in a civil suit though he was ordered to pay one point five million dollars to the chin estate and with interest in all these years, it's up to like eight million dollars, but he will not pay it. He can't afford it, quote unquote. He lives paycheck to paycheck and like just refuses. And he was basically begging for the lean on his home in Nevada to be removed. But you still owe money, so you can't. So basically like what the lien means, he cannot rent or sell this home that he lives in. But he purposely moved to Nevada because of their like a homestead act and he thought it would like help him not have to pay this and also then tried to set a motion to ask for the family to pay for his attorney's fees psycho, but his house wasn't worth enough to get this whatever act this is.
Speaker 4: He was too poor for it. So he still owes money. He has to stay there.
Speaker 2: He cannot sell it or rent it or anything, and they're supposed to get money, but he goes whatever. The family is just harassing me and doing it to annoy me and ask and like you moved on purpose to avoid paying for a life.
Speaker 4: You took no justice at all, like.
Speaker 1: No accountability, Like no, yeah, it's so is the victim.
Speaker 2: And the judge thought this was just a great guy, a great guy who just shouldn't go to jail. You don't base it on the crime, just the person, these cool guys. So journalists and activists. Helen Zia, who is an executor of the Chinn estate, told NBC News that the request is upsetting. It is beyond outrageous that this un remorseful killer is suing for attorney's fees that would allow him to continue evading payment for beating Vincent Chin to death twenty three years ago.
Speaker 4: So the case did.
Speaker 2: Expose like this fucked up thing that happened with the judge. And basically, now for manslaughter cases in Michigan, there's a mandatory minimum sentence guideline and the state Supreme Court adopted this and put it into state legislator legislature.
Speaker 4: So basically the.
Speaker 2: Guidelines say a judge could issue a sentence below the minimum, but they have to give reason why, like specific reason. So this judge was just able to be like, never mind, these guys are good, go on probation, and now you for a manslaughter, you have to give the minimum or the judge has to prove and explain why they're not giving the minimum, which I can't believe.
Speaker 4: This has to be a rule.
Speaker 2: This case also helped ensure that victims and future cases would be represented during sentencing and court proceedings. Lily Chin, the mom did die in two thousand and two tho never he never paid any financial debt to her that she was owed. And then if you want to know more about him, there's a PBS show Who Killed Vincent Chin? Also into twenty twenty four, the FBI posted an over six hundred page report on this crime that you can look into. And Ebans is still alive. So if we want to do a that's messed up field trip and throw eggs at his house either its something.
Speaker 1: Like satisfying though about the fact that like even if this guy wins the lottery or something or he gets like a great job, like he'll never be able to like really like he has to give money, like they'll they'll garnish his wages. I'm sure you know, like you kid never but the fact that like even in it's such a miscarri forties fifties, like truly putting Japanese people in internment camps in our country, and then by the eighties it's still like Asian people were not a protected class against taate crimes. Like, I don't understand how you how that works. You imprisoned a whole population because of their race, and yet they're not protected under for the race.
Speaker 4: Yeah what Yeah?
Speaker 1: But also yeah, it's like this guy being fucking angry at Japan and then just killing a random fucking Chinese person is out of control.
Speaker 4: And it sucks. He was a cool dude. It was like a bachelor party.
Speaker 2: He was probably about, you know, about to get married, like living a good life.
Speaker 4: And I, you know, you know who was a good member of society.
Speaker 2: This guy, Vincent Instin could have done more for this world than this Ebans and his dumb ass son could ever And I just I I'm going to track his death and fucking spit on his grave.
Speaker 4: I hope he can't afford a gravestone.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, no guests, so let's just go right in to our post mortem.
Speaker 4: This episode is sad. I feel sad.
Speaker 1: Okay, So yeah, no guests to cleanse the palette after you're just telling us about a very nice man that was murdered because of what he looks like and where he's from. But fuck, I don't know. I don't know what the post mortem is for this episode. Besides don't be racist, Yeah, don't be racist.
Speaker 2: And if I really biases, go check them out, like figure them out, figure them out.
Speaker 4: Figure that shit out.
Speaker 1: Why does somebody being quote unquote undocument Why does somebody be undocumented or not in this country the way you think they should be. How does that affect you? I need to know, I really need to know why people think this.
Speaker 4: But I know what it is.
Speaker 1: It's like, it's just people are being fed incorrect statistics about not paying taxes, not or sucking welfare.
Speaker 4: Out of our country, et cetera.
Speaker 1: But they but then he's going to get the big beautiful bill signed this week, which is going to cut a lot of welfare for actual people that need it.
Speaker 2: So but also they also constantly are voting against rich people paying more taxes, like they want the poorest of the poor UNDOCU whatever, like whatever idea of a single mother they have in their head, like how dare you not pay taxes? But then the but then it's like, let's just tax the one percent so we can get free buses. And it's like we will murder you, like, hey, I don't understand. I don't understand. It's so pathetic. It's pathetic.
Speaker 1: And everybody is saying all of this shit about the the the how the last election was decided about the price of eggs. It's like, do you think that when we are like deporting people who have done nothing wrong on masks, who are farm workers some of them, how is that gonna?
Speaker 4: How's that going to go for the eggs?
Speaker 1: You know, if that's your most important fucking issue, this whole thing is look over there. So while they're like robbing the lower the lower and middle class like blind, like truly, like they're just like this these new bills, like we're all fucked. But listen, let's get into our what would Sister Peg do for the week. This is our weekly segment where we point you to an organization or a book or a documentary something to give you more info about what we talked about. And we wanted to appoint you this week to the organization Stop AAPI Hate in honor of you know, Vincent Chin, this victim from you know, thirty years ago. And I would like to think things are better, but honey, you know it's forty forty forty years ago. Excuse me, pardon me sorry, eighty two forty years ago, forty plus this uh. Stop AAPI Hate is a US based coalition dedicated to fighting racism and discrimination against Asian American and Pacific islanders. Their core strategies include data and research, policy and advocacy, community care, and strategic communications. They publish data and research quote to paint a vivid and nuanced picture of racism and other forms of bigotry as it is experienced by our communities.
Speaker 4: So for more info on that, head.
Speaker 1: Over to Stop aapihete dot org and that will be linked in our show notes as usual in our Instagram stories at That's Messed Up Pod and those stories get saved forever in our WWSPD highlights.
Speaker 4: So thank you so much for that.
Speaker 2: And next week we will be doing the episode in Foghorn Leghorn accents, so stay tuned for that. Betrayals Climax Season fifteen, Episode thirteen.
Speaker 4: Buckle up, bitches, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be another wild one by wild and upsetting and graphic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see you next week.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right Production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email at That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain, and to.
Speaker 1: Our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner.
Speaker 2: And to Henry Kaperski for our theme song, and Carly Geen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia Hardstart, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun Dun