Speaker 1: It's always kind of a special week when we get an update update. Yes, so today we get it. Check in with one of our iconic Second Date Update couples and you're gonna hear that in just a second. But first I gotta say thank you to Matthew who wrote us on our Second Date Spotify page and it says, here's why I got a Second Date Update hoodie. One he's got bullet pie like it. One great conversation starter, two look sick okay, no he does. And three it goes to a cause. I mean, honestly, they're so cool right now. And one proceeds, like we said, from every sale go to help La wildfire relief efforts thanks to Convoy of Hope. So again, if you want to buy Second Date Update merch, the link is in our show notes. Right let's get there right now. Okay, we're baked and thank you. Enjoy your update update. It starts right now.
Speaker 2: Second Date Update. Sometimes in the dating world, you realize the ideal person that you have built up in your mind isn't necessarily the ideal person for you in real life. Yeah, rip that right out of Brook's wedding vows.
Speaker 1: To her husband.
Speaker 2: But that could be the case for our listener, Rob Today's so rude. Well you said them, who says he met a different type of woman than the one he would normally go for. He described her in the email as someone who doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, is one hundred percent vegan, and must be in bed every night by eight forty five pm.
Speaker 1: Rob, discipline woman.
Speaker 2: How did you let this party animal slip through your fingers?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, I don't know. I just found it endearing. I thought she was kind of wholesome and not really the type of girl that I would normally go for.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting because it could be wholesome, or it could be that she's done all those things so much that she can't do them anymore, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: On the party life? Okay, well what's her name?
Speaker 3: Name's Maggie.
Speaker 2: All right, how did you meet her?
Speaker 3: We met online? But I just thought her pictures were so natural. She was very naturally beautiful. The pictures weren't photoshopped, and she wasn't out at the club. It's kind of pictures of her hanging out with her friends, and I just thought it was nice normal, or it.
Speaker 1: Was such a good photoshop you didn't notice. Can I ask, are you any of the things she is like?
Speaker 3: Dry?
Speaker 1: You know, no smoking, vegan?
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 2: It could be in opposite of track sort of situation where you like mesh together over time and bacon.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could be the reason she's not calling him back.
Speaker 2: Well, what'd you guys do when you guys went out?
Speaker 3: Well, it's weird. We went on two dates back to back over a weekend.
Speaker 2: Well that makes sense because she has to be in bed bait forty five, so that's not very much the first one.
Speaker 1: Wait, how did that work?
Speaker 3: Well, so she doesn't like to drink, so we got ramen and then we've got ice cream.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, took the vegan to ice cream.
Speaker 3: Well I learned that they actually have vegan ice cream.
Speaker 2: Oh cool, so you checked it.
Speaker 3: To me.
Speaker 2: But for her that's.
Speaker 1: Great, like coconut milk ice cream.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, and it actually tastes the pretty good.
Speaker 1: She was probably impressed that you like put some effort in to find a place that could fit her.
Speaker 2: So how did date number one end?
Speaker 3: So there was no kiss at the end, but it was like a long hug and then she actually suggested that we go out again. The next day.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, okay, she suggests, no kidding, So what did you do the next day?
Speaker 3: So the next day, I was like, you get to pick where we want to go. So we went to a vegan restaurant.
Speaker 2: Cool, okay, oh my god.
Speaker 1: I'm not vegan, but one of my favorite places to eat is a vegan restaurant.
Speaker 2: And my neighborhood is scary, Like I'm a foodie and even someone going to a vegan restaurant it's kind of intimidated. Well maybe it's like the ice cream shop where they have the one vegan option where one plate for the medal. Bloody. How was it?
Speaker 3: I mean it was okay, I didn't mind it.
Speaker 1: Okay, they How is the connection between you two?
Speaker 3: I mean after that date, we definitely kissed.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, your first two dates sounds like they went great. So what's happened since then?
Speaker 3: Well, so then after the date, she starts texting me and like it's text like I can't wait to see you. There's a lot of love gifts and uh memes about love, and she was really accentuating the love aspect of everything, and uh, you know, it was a little bit much.
Speaker 1: I don't get why he's on with us if it was freaking.
Speaker 3: You out calling you back, Yeah, well what happened was she sent me a Spotify song. It's a song by Starship called we Built This Thing Together. I don't know if you guys know that song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this string together, Nothing's gonna stop us.
Speaker 1: That's a good song.
Speaker 2: Everyone knows.
Speaker 1: She trying to like force a couple songs already more organically.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, like what have we built? We were on two dates.
Speaker 2: Like did you say that to her?
Speaker 3: Well, I said, oh, that's a nice song. I'm not really into the song though, it's I'm not really a big fan of it, and I totally changed things for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you slammed her taste in music.
Speaker 1: No, she was trying to convey something. It's like when I used to make mixed CDs and like put in secret songs for different dudes I like and be like, yeah, I know that one hit. You basically turned her down by not liking the good Honestly, maybe she needed.
Speaker 2: Together, but you said that changed things between you two.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean I wasn't trying to put her down. It's just a little confused by it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so what do you.
Speaker 1: Want our help with do you want another date or do you not?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I just want to see where she's at, and I hope I didn't offend her, and I just want you to check for me.
Speaker 1: I see, I'll see on it. Yeah. Maybe if she knows how you feel, she can lay off the love gifts and the songs.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, I don't know how to tell her that politely. If she is that kind of person, I don't necessarily want to change her, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll let Brook tell her to cut that crap out. We'll do the second date update right after this second date update.
Speaker 1: You're in the middle of a second date update update, and we're gonna find out how the couple is doing right after you here Part two.
Speaker 2: Man, we're back to the nineteen eighties again.
Speaker 1: Is this the song?
Speaker 2: The Decade of Love?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Sixteen Candles, Dirty Dancing, Wow, Ghost, all the best love movies. Okay, I can honestly say that we built this thing together. Nothing lasts forever. I think that nothing was gonna stop us. Now that's a song. Unless Maggie doesn't answer the phone, then that would kind of stop us and we'd be screwed.
Speaker 1: Are you all forgetting it's a song that she sent to him.
Speaker 2: This is the song from the nineteen eighties that kind of soured the relationship after Rob went on back to back dates with Maggie, both of which went great, but this Spotify song ruined it because Rob said, I'm not really a fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean it's pretty cheesy.
Speaker 2: But Brooke had a good point. He was trying to say, I don't really like this song. Maybe Maggie took it as he doesn't like my love. He's rejecting our relationship.
Speaker 1: That's how I would take it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, but that's not the case. So that's why Rob has reached out to us, hoping we can re spark this, get this going again, maybe do a little ghost love scene situation. Right Rob, that's right, pottery class.
Speaker 1: You no alcohol, very vegan, you know, be perfect shirtless though, Are you wanting to apologize to her for your response?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the way you put it, I guess I kind of see it like I was being a little rude, So yeah, I would like to apologize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, we don't know for sure if she took it that way. That's just Brook's opinion, and you know how valuable that is.
Speaker 1: So you had to throw a dig in there.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, we don't know. Yeah, let's let's find out once and for all. I'm and I call it right now here we go.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hi?
Speaker 2: Is this Maggie?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: This is she?
Speaker 3: Who is this?
Speaker 2: We gotch Uh? Sorry? I mean I'm happy that you answered, is what I meant to say. Because we're a radio show, We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning, and we've been dying to talk to.
Speaker 3: You, okay or what I mean?
Speaker 4: Why what's going on?
Speaker 2: Because we're doing a segment here called a Second Date Update, and it's where we try and help out our listeners if they've kind of stalled out in their dating life with somebody. We're trying to help somebody named Rob.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Rob, Okay, I see?
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Rob said you had two great dates together.
Speaker 2: Yeah. He actually told us that he felt really good about it. How did you feel?
Speaker 4: I felt really good about it too. I felt like we had this instant connection and potential to really go somewhere. I was really really excited to keep things going with him.
Speaker 1: It's so sweet.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Was there something that made that change? Because it does sound like you're talking in past tense.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I'm the type of person who wants a guy who's going to be my prince charming and come in and ride in on the horse and professes love to me and just go all out and then we ride off into the sunset together.
Speaker 2: You like grand romantic gestures, that's what you like? Yes, exactly, that's totally fair. It could be a lot, though, for some guys to process that after just one weekend hanging out, you know, and not a lot.
Speaker 1: Of guys are romantic at all.
Speaker 4: Well they should be, and I made that very clear on my profile.
Speaker 2: Oh really, it's on your profile.
Speaker 1: What'd you say on your profile?
Speaker 4: I want someone who's sweet. So if I want you to send me messages and let me know that you appreciate me, because that's my My love language is affirmation's words of affirmation. So I love giving those out and I want that back in return.
Speaker 3: Got it?
Speaker 2: Okay? And you feel like Rob was not fulfilling those needs for you?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 4: Especially came down to where you know, I sent him what I saw was our first love song or potential first dance, and I just envisioned us already there.
Speaker 1: You know, does that be a lot for anyone.
Speaker 2: So we did hear about that text and the being sent to him. Honestly, here is what I worry about for you, Maggie. Along the way in your life, you've come up with this idea for a fairy tale romance in your mind. Okay, right now, it's totally okay to have these ideals in your head, but you have to be able to adjust to other people, because no one is going to match up perfectly with everything that you've said.
Speaker 1: It's already adjusting. I mean, she was already going out with somebody who wasn't a vegan. She was already going out with somebody that drinks when she doesn't enjoy.
Speaker 2: But she said the problem was he didn't like one song.
Speaker 1: No, she said the problem was he wasn't romantic Jack.
Speaker 2: But the thing is, that's the conversation. You have to go off of the two great dates that you guys had together. That is not easy to do in the modern dating world. We never hear about that. That's special and that's something that you should actually hold on to, not that he didn't like a song that you texted him one time. Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: I can see.
Speaker 4: I mean it was just my favorite song, and I just you are getting.
Speaker 1: Yeah if you can hear it, and I think Jeff's played.
Speaker 2: It's too easy for people to just ghost right now on these dating apps over one dumb little thing. You have to remember two great first dates. Hold on to that cherish that.
Speaker 1: Why did you drink this morning?
Speaker 4: Brook?
Speaker 2: I don't need your love hate right now. I'm trying to build a love tower. And that's why I know. That's why I need to tell you, Maggie. Rob is on the phone right now. You like a grand romantic gesture. Here it is. He is waiting to talk.
Speaker 3: Hey, Hey, Maggie, how you doing?
Speaker 4: Hi?
Speaker 3: Rob?
Speaker 4: I'm good, How are you.
Speaker 3: Good? You know, I just I wanted to apologize for blowing off your song. I didn't realize that it meant so much to you. But you know, I hear what you're saying about being more romantic. It's you know, we've only been on two dates, so maybe I need a little bit of a build up, take my time a little bit. Okay.
Speaker 2: Rob is a little bit more of a slow burner, but he's willing to burn a little bit faster for you.
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I do appreciate that and I felt like I was very transparent on my profile. I can't change who I am, and I would appreciate if you could try a little more.
Speaker 2: Brook's been saying that same thing to her husband for the last ten years.
Speaker 1: I think every woman has said it in any relationship we've ever been probaf.
Speaker 4: You could send me kind of a love song. What would it be?
Speaker 3: It would be that song Maggie by Rod Stewart.
Speaker 1: Wake Up. That's just her name, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Think that's after Maggie leaves him.
Speaker 1: A one night stand.
Speaker 2: Yea super romantic guys.
Speaker 3: I'm trying, all right. I don't know.
Speaker 1: What's amazing is he's not scared away right now. I don't know if you're gonna find that.
Speaker 2: We'd like to offer to send you guys out one more time, and we would pay for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's do it. That'd be great.
Speaker 2: It's true what they say, you can build this love together. Some things do last forever. Nothing's gonna stop us now except we're running out of time to do the second date updates, so we got to stop it.
Speaker 1: Brook and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 2: Months ago. We convinced him to give it another try, and it sounds like they did. Because both Rob and Maggie are back with us today on this show.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I vote them most likely to be in a relationship. Yeah. Well, I just you know, she needed the effort, and he sounded like he was ready to deliver.
Speaker 2: Let's find out, Rob, were you able to step up the romance for Maggie?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Guy? Was? You know? After being on your show? Like she pretty much told me she wanted me to be more romantic. Yeah. So we went on a second date and I kind of went over the top. I think I hired I hired like this twenty person flash mob.
Speaker 2: Whoa wait a flash mob?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah? And then after that, I hired this horse drawn carriage who to take us back home?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had. I had her favorite song playing on my phone. You know, we built this thing together.
Speaker 2: Okay, but we asked you. Did you do anything romantic though?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I bet Maggie was over the moon.
Speaker 2: That's so much.
Speaker 3: Well, after I did all that, she didn't talk to me for like two weeks.
Speaker 2: Wait.
Speaker 4: Why Yeah, well he was trying way too hard and I could tell he wasn't being himself.
Speaker 1: And I don't want that.
Speaker 2: You said, he wasn't trying hard enough when we had you on the phone before.
Speaker 1: Are you like Goldilocks and the Bears or something with the porridge like pick a tep?
Speaker 3: Sure, it's true, it's true.
Speaker 4: But honestly, I really I learned something about myself and that I just really don't like low effort guys. But I also don't like the super over the top, cheesy high effort guys either. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Has he struck the right chord by this time?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 4: Yes, and so I I did ask, can you just be in the middle, just be yourself and kind of meet in the middle, and that's perfect?
Speaker 3: Okay. Yeah, I made her. I made her this photo scrap book of pictures of us. There's only like two pictures, but.
Speaker 1: Too many.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think it was really sweet. It just starting.
Speaker 4: I liked it. It was genuine.
Speaker 3: I thought it was really cute pamphlet.
Speaker 1: You guys are together then?
Speaker 3: Still, yeah, I think so, I hope she likes it.
Speaker 2: Here's trying not to come on too strong with his affirmation.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, you know, I'm trying, and I'm also not trying, and so I'm keeping it in the middle.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, there you go. Look Jeffrey in the morning,