Speaker 1: Welcome everyone. It is the KSR Pre Show.
Speaker 2: It is Tuesday, May twenty seventh, Shannon the Dude being joined by Billy Rutliche give us a call on the Clark's Popping Shop phone liner at eight five nine two eight oh twenty two eighty seven be our a whiskey Thief call of the Day, and you can also send us a text at five two two six five six six five six. KSR Pre Show is brought to you by Italics Fine Italian Dining in Lexington. And after a three day weekend, we are back. We are live here on a Tuesday where I am looking at a hopefully less grumpy Billy r Sports He was he had his grumpy pants on Friday at the Mountain Laurel Fest. I don't know what was going on with you, buddy, but you sound like you're in a little bit better mood today.
Speaker 3: All right, everything, Oh, I'm good man, I'm good.
Speaker 4: Everybody has those days stuck my foot in my mouth a little bit talking about engagement photos on Friday.
Speaker 3: So we're not getting into any of that today.
Speaker 4: But I could get used to four day workweek, Shannon. They want to give us more three day weekends. I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: What did you do on your time off? Anything fun?
Speaker 4: I did a little grilling on the gas grill. That thing is so easy to start that you just make a little chicken fajeta whenever you're feeling hungry. So I did a little bit of that, did some golf and shinn and actually played two rounds as I get ready to play Matt Jones on camera one of these days at the very nice TPC Tates Creek here in Lexington, and just kind of hung out Shannon. You know, sometimes the best times are when you don't have anything planned, and so just relaxed a little bit, watched the Crazy Indie five hundred.
Speaker 3: So did some fun stuff this weekend.
Speaker 2: What about you, man, Well, you know, I had to make it a tough choice. Either I sit at home and do nothing.
Speaker 1: Which sometimes with my schedule, that's the best thing to do.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, just sit home and.
Speaker 2: Do absolutely nothing. But I go, you know what, it's Memorial Day weekend. People are going to be traveling. I'm one of these people that have really bad fomo fear of missing out, you know I'm talking about so if I feel like other people are having fun, and I'm sitting at home.
Speaker 1: I can't.
Speaker 2: I can't stand it, Billy. So I decided, you know what, We're gonna do a little quick road trip. We're gonna go to the place where dreams were made, Gatlinburg, Tennessee. PROMPTU trip to gatlin You know all the talk about the Gatler, all the talk about Gatlinburg and Ryan getting married in a Gatlenburg chapel. I didn't want to get married, but I was like, you know what, let's go to Gatlinburg. It sounds like something that's not too far away and maybe we could have some fun.
Speaker 1: And it wasn't bad at all, Billy.
Speaker 2: I got thought that, you know, Gatlinburg Memorial Day weekend would be crazy. Wasn't actually that bad at all. Traffic wasn't that bad. The strip wasn't all that crazy with people. Actually ran into a listener on a trill while I was walking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I did.
Speaker 2: I got a selfie with them. So yeah, I had a good weekend. Man. You know, It's it's not all taffy and go karts down there. There's like some decent little restaurants you can go have dinner at. Had a nice steak dinner one night lift.
Speaker 4: And I didn't do the lift tub and your cabin, Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, didn't do it cabin. That was the other thing too.
Speaker 2: I was like, how are we going to book something that you know two days before?
Speaker 1: How are you going to book something?
Speaker 2: But we were able to find a nice little hotel right there on the strip, So I'm like, you know about that.
Speaker 1: I had a good time. Look, I know people give Gatlinburg a hard time. I actually enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I think it's you know, for a day or two, it's fine, but then after two days couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: I ran into a guy that was a local set there at the bar with him.
Speaker 2: It was like, man, how do you stand living in Gatlinburg, like, you know, being a local around here with all these people that were coming around? And his answer was, you know what, it's really cool because I get to talk to people from all over the world anytime I come in here. Because everybody's always on vacation, everybody's always having a good time, so I get to meet people from all over the world.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 2: The only drawback is if I want to go to like a home depot, it's a four hour road road trip. It's like you know, because traffic is so bad. He's like, you know, if I got to go to home Depot, I got to leave like on a Tuesday at six am and get there and get back in a reasonable time.
Speaker 4: So that's great perspective to have living in a tourist trap and you get to see people from all walks of life.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm kind of with you, Shannon. It gets a lot of hate, but you can have a good.
Speaker 4: Time in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge. I mean, you get me to the Moonshine Tasting of the Little Wine Tasting.
Speaker 2: We don't think we didn't that. Come on, don't think we didn't do that one, two, three times exactly three different times.
Speaker 3: That is so much fun.
Speaker 4: But speaking of drinks, I had some of the corn Bread Hemp seltzers. They were nice enough to send them over to me.
Speaker 3: Shannon. I don't know if you've had these yet.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I had one over the weekend.
Speaker 3: It's really good, man, really good. Shout out to Cornbread Hemp and all the great things that they're doing.
Speaker 2: Yep, you can get those in liquor stores throughout Kentucky. So check that out.
Speaker 1: Billy.
Speaker 2: The big news for Kentucky. Kentucky baseball makes the NC Double A Tournament. That is three straight trips to the NC DOUBLEA Tournament, the first time in Kentucky baseball history.
Speaker 1: Billy.
Speaker 2: They've made three consecutive trips to the NC DOUBLEA Tournament, So a bit congratulations to Coachminge and the the Batcats. They'll be playing in the Clemson Region and they'll be playing West Virginia at noon on Friday on ESPNU. You might remember they played West Virginia just a couple of years ago in the NCAA tournament. So congratulations to Kentucky making the NCAA tournament.
Speaker 1: Billy.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't think we're gonna get to see it though, because Friday at noon, we're gonna be out at the KSR Golf Scramble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna be at the KSR Golf Scramble. If they pull me off the golf course to work that baseball game, Shannon, I'm gonna be livid, But I am happy that the baseball team made it, like you said, the third straight year, and that is such a great accomplishment and a necessary accomplishment to keep this momentum building, right, Shannon, I mean so much excitement off the back of making the College World Series and winning a game versus NC State and walk off fashion. But then you lose seven of your nine starters and you wonder if nickmn jone can go to the transfer portal and do this again.
Speaker 3: And with thirteen teams making.
Speaker 4: The NCAA Tournament field from the SEC and Kentucky only winning what less than half of their series this year, it was they were squarely on the bubble, but maybe a little safer than we thought. They weren't one of the last four teams in so it's great to see Kentucky will be competing in the Clemson Regional. They take on West Virginia and double elimination, so even if you drop one.
Speaker 3: You can still make some noise.
Speaker 4: I do want to shout out my Western Kentucky Hilltoppers as well. It's the first time in sixteen years that they bring AGAINCACA Tournament. I had to get it in Shannon, come on. Some congratulations to both teams Western and Kentucky. Also Murray I think is in the NCAA Tournament field, So Kentucky is representing very well. But excited to get this thing started. On Friday for UK Baseball.
Speaker 2: You mentioned that record in the SEC. Part of the reason why you can get into the NCAA Tournament with a record like that in the SEC is because, like you said, yet, what thirteen teams that made the NCAA Tournament. Your top four seeds overall are SEC schools. Vanderbilt, Texas, Arkansas, and Auburn all your top four seeds in the NCAA Tournament from the SEC.
Speaker 1: So it's gonna be tough for Kentucky.
Speaker 2: West Virginia, a team that comes in at forty one and fourteen overall this year, Kentucky's gonna be the underdog going in. But like I said, it's double elimination. And when you get into pitching matchups, it all comes down to that you know the strategy right of pitching matchups because you watch you know some of these games, same two teams play, you get two completely different results. It all starts with who's on the hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I heard Darren talk a little bit about this morning on the Leach Report talking about West Virginia, how they they played so well to start and they've calling fallen off, maybe just a little bit lost in the Big twelve tournament, So maybe not playing their best.
Speaker 3: But you know, Shannon, we've seen this Kentucky team have.
Speaker 4: So many leads throughout the year and then it gets to the bullpen and it just kind of gets away from them. So, you know, and a lot of times we say a team blows a game, but sometimes you just got to tip your cap and say, you know, a good SEC team went out there and hit good pitches.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mentioned those SEC series.
Speaker 4: Kentucky lost six of their ten SEC series this year and we're swept twice, but then you see them win big.
Speaker 3: Series versus Tennessee. They suite Oklahoma late, so it's definitely in them.
Speaker 4: But you know, you know baseball, Shannon, it's it's any given day, right Like you go out there and Ben Cleaver could go out there and throw you eight shout out innings. Another day you're gonna have to have a bullpen game. So it's I trust in Menjie and they've been there before.
Speaker 3: This is the.
Speaker 4: Standard to make the NCAA tournament. So now that they've made it, you know, you can kind of throw the records out.
Speaker 3: Anything can happen.
Speaker 2: I just don't know that I trust the bullpen. I mean, Kentucky coming out.
Speaker 3: On a gym, but not the bulls.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like you know, if I'm men, I'm trying to get every single out that I can out of my starting pitchers just because we've seen the bullpen shaky at best. I mean, we're coming in off of a four game losing streak, but three of those games that the entire series against Vandy, it could have swept Vandy, I know, yeah, you know, and it all came down to blowing leads and all three of those games and when he went to the bullpen, things just kind of fell apart. Now, speaking of Vanderbilt, they won the SEC Tournament, but I got a fair or foul I want to ask you about for Vanderbilt. Did you see I don't know if you watched any of the game, you probably did, and Vanderbilt ole miss in the championship game. But former Vandy football coach James Franklin was hanging out in the Vanderbilt dugout and he's buddies with Tim Corbyn, the Vanderbilt baseball head coach. But to make things even more awkward, Clark Lee, the current Vanderbilt football coach, is sitting out there in the stands while a former football coach is in the dugout during a championship game. I mean, I would think that would be a little bit distracting. It turned out not to be, but I mean bringing in a former coach into the dugout during.
Speaker 1: A championship game.
Speaker 2: Let's be like Kentucky, Let's say playing in the championship.
Speaker 1: Game and yeah, I don't know, like.
Speaker 2: I guess not Joker Phillips because it's been so long since Joker Phillips was the head coach. Let's say that Kentucky's playing in the championship game for baseball and John Caliperry's in the dugout with MinJe On.
Speaker 1: That would that be a little awkward?
Speaker 3: I mean maybe, But I mean I think we're all adults. You know.
Speaker 4: I don't think Clark Lee and James Franklin are going to get in a cat fight about him being in the dugout and it's.
Speaker 1: The championship game.
Speaker 3: Maybe it maybe it would be served as a distraction.
Speaker 4: I would say more foul to have anybody in the dugout than it is to have James Franklin, specifically, because I'm fine with welcoming back older coaches, right, I mean we Kentucky fans welcome back Rick Patino to rep Arena recently.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you wanted to continue that example.
Speaker 1: Team, I was not sitting on the bench during a game.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's not.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm not saying he's you know, is it awkward for him to be at the game? No, of course not in the It's like the equivalent of a guy sitting on the bench in a basketball game, a former coach just showing up and just sitting there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess I'm not. I mean, I'm not angered by it by any means. I guess Tim Corbin, the baseball coach, and James Franklin had a good relationship back when James was back at Vandy. And look, James Franklin did a lot of great things for Vanderbilt. He should be remembered fondly there. So I think he comes back as a I don't know if conquers the right word channel, but somebody that should be revered, right, I mean, like, this is a guy that's actually done good things for the program. So it it didn't end badly, I'm okay with the situation. Did you look at it differently? Were you like get the hell out of that. So I'm like, why are you in here? Man?
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, it's not just a regular season game. We're talking about the SEC championship and this guy has to hang out into the dugout, Like, go back out there and sit with Clark Lee?
Speaker 1: What are you doing in this a little?
Speaker 3: Do you know who?
Speaker 1: I am?
Speaker 3: Like, I need to go see my guys.
Speaker 1: They were interviewing they were interviewing him on TV.
Speaker 2: I'm like, this is just weird, Like why are we making this about James Franklin and Pence Date in an SEC Baseball championship game?
Speaker 4: We were talking about pitching there for a second. I want to take you back. Let's go back to Lindsay Wilson or Bellerman. Is Shannon the dude coming out of the bullpen?
Speaker 3: Like? Is he a setup guy? Is he a closer?
Speaker 2: It was a mop up guy? What are you talking about when the game was fifteen to one?
Speaker 4: Well, no, that's like position players coming in to pitch. Is Shannon the dude coming in?
Speaker 1: Like, I'm just.
Speaker 2: I've just told you like I you know, like it at Lindsey Wilson, I think I started a few games, you know, like but we had a JV team. I think at that point we had a JV team. So I started some JV games at Lindsay Wilson and then my it was my sophomore year. I think I completely screwed up my shoulder and that was when I had like, yeah, that that sophomore year, I think I came in, you know, like sixth seventh inning type of.
Speaker 1: Reliever, like a middle reliever, a little setup guy, middle reliever. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then after that it was it was mop up because I had nothing left in my arm. I was a mop up of a player at that point. I was out there throwing you know, sixty miles. No, I wasn't throwing that slow, but it was it was bad, you know, So I was I was basically playing injured. Junior year, I didn't play at all. I was out injured the entire season. Senior year that had a.
Speaker 1: Zero e r A.
Speaker 4: But just had spot ending injuries kind of caught up with you near the end of it. But you know, those first couple of years, maybe sixth inning, seventh s guy. Yeah, I just like to think of you as Edwin Diaz coming out of the Bowl.
Speaker 2: Oh no, God, no, I didn't have that kind of that kind of arm. I was the type of pitcher where I had to like spot you know, like inside corner, outside corner, breaking ball, you know, like throw the junk stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and are you calling your own pitches or was that the coach is doing that back?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it was. It was a little of both.
Speaker 2: Like coach would give, you know, the signal to the the catcher. Catcher gives it to me and then I could shake it off if I wanted to.
Speaker 4: So if I wasn't filling that pitch, shake it off. I always thought that was a little bizarre. I read an MLB peacher set. MLB pitcher said that he never shook off a pitch. He just realized the pitch that was given by the coach was the best in the situation.
Speaker 2: Sometimes, you know, but you know how you're feeling like you know better than the coach. If that breaking ball is not breaking today and you're calling it and it's a three to two count with bases loaded, I need to throw something over the plate, right So I think now though they all have like these in ear pieces right where they can just be I guess told through the in air piece what pitched to call.
Speaker 4: Well, the catcher has that right, the catcher has the in air piece, and then he's able to give the single to the picture. I don't know if the pitcher has the in air piece yet. I think they do, because isn't there still like Stein stealing, Like if you're on second, you could still steal signs from the catcher if you're leading off.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I thought, I thought, like the pitcher actually has it in air.
Speaker 4: The game does not resemble that we played in our childhood, Shandon, So I think it's fair for us to not know what's going on to.
Speaker 3: A degree at least.
Speaker 2: Hey nine twenty two eighty seven will take your calls. Coming up next, and it is decision day for o tega Oway. Is he gonna go or is he gonna come back to Kentucky. I think he's coming back to Kentucky.
Speaker 3: But today?
Speaker 1: Is it today? Or tomorroworrow? Tomorrow? Tomorrow night at midnight, I think it is either.
Speaker 3: Today or Tomorrow's got to decide.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: If it's not today, it's coming soon, all right, Decision Day, D Day is coming up. We'll be right back on the KSR pre show. It is the KSR pre show eight, five, nine, two eighth, twenty two eighty seven. First of all, Billy, Yes, you're right, is tomorrow. I don't know what day it is. It's it's Tuesday, right, Yeah, the three day weekend is is throwing me off. I don't know what day it is anymore. So, yeah, that's tomorrow night for otega Oway. He's going to decide he's projected from what I've seen, Billy anywhere between like fiftieth and the fifty fifth pick, depending on which you know, which website you go to to look at for your draft information, your mock draft. So I mean, I think all signs point that he's coming back, but you know, the longer he waits, I think that builds up some anxiety for fans thinking that maybe he will stay in the draft.
Speaker 3: Uh. Yeah, I would doubt it though.
Speaker 4: I mean, if you were a late second round pick, Shannon, You're getting on the bus and going to a G League game, right, I mean, not a lot of guys drafted in that slot, you know, have these big guaranteed contracts, which I think otega Oway or any player would be looking for, especially when you can go back to college and make so much money with nil, so I would be shocked if he were to stay and get drafted late in the second round like that. I think he's got a pretty big role carved out for him back at Kentucky and could possibly be a preseason SEC first team player if he stays in college. So a lot of excitement still, and.
Speaker 2: I think he's a guy that can, without a doubt, improve his draft stock. Right, there's no doubt that this is a player that could, you know, maybe work his way up to a an early second round pick instead of on the fiftieth and fifty fifth range. I mean, there's no doubt that next year he can come back. If he can prove that he can knock down a three on a consistent basis, developed that three point shot, there's no doubt that he is going.
Speaker 1: To be picked up by somebody.
Speaker 2: And I think that he could even play himself into a late first round pick. So the pros and cons when you look at Okay, if I'm oh, wait, I can go to the NBA, like you said, be in the G League to start out, go into all these random cities and playing ball, or I could come back at Kentucky where life is pretty good. Let's be honest for away, life's pretty good being a Kentucky basketball player making good money here, more than you're going to make probably in the G League to begin with. You come back, you prove your stock, go to the draft next year. Who knows, maybe you're a first rounter and all of a sudden you're making it even more money in a much better position.
Speaker 1: And who knows, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You get a guaranteed contract, but at least you're in a much better position next year than you would be if you went ahead and jumped the gun and went this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm just glad we don't do it like baseball, where high schoolers are drafted and then they decide if they want to go or not. What a bizarre system Where a guy like Tyler Bell, the shortstop for Kentucky, was drafted by the Tampa Bay Rays. They're expecting him to come into the farm system and he says, hey, I just want to go play college, and then they don't have the draft rights to that kid anymore. Shannon, tell me how.
Speaker 3: That makes sense.
Speaker 2: Well, speaking of bizarre, I've been watching on a loop since the last commercial break you sent me. This video of the is the French president getting like pie faced by his wife.
Speaker 1: Is that his wife in this video?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So it's his wife, uh, Mark Marcone Mackren, Shannon, I don't know how to pronounce it, and I apologize, But he was coming off of a plane and like as the door's open, you briefly see his wife shove him.
Speaker 3: In the face.
Speaker 4: Like like hard, like it's it's I don't know if you call it a slap or a shove, but it's jarring, and he immediately kind of makes eye contact with the camera, realizes people are watching him and kind of has to give like an awkward wave.
Speaker 3: But Shannon, what is happening in that?
Speaker 1: I don't know, man, I can't figure it out.
Speaker 2: I'm just sitting here watching this video on it is it's like the door opens to the plane, you see the president gonna get pushed in the face by an arm and then he looks around and gives a a very awkward wave and smile like Hey everybody, Like who knows what's going on behind the scenes? You got this video? That's it's very bizarre. Tweeter, have you tweeted that out?
Speaker 5: No? I can.
Speaker 4: I can retweet it though. At Billy Sports if you'd like to see it. People are surprised after this went viral. They're all looking into the background of the French president and they were surprised to find out that he met his wife when he was a teenager and she was thirty nine.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So as much as we.
Speaker 4: Talked about Bill Belichick, I guess it was getting exposed a little bit that the French president's a little younger than his wife.
Speaker 3: But the slap, I don't know what would justify that slap.
Speaker 1: It's not really a slap.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like grabbing somebody underneath the chin and pushing them. So I don't know that that makes it any better, but it's not I don't I wouldn't call it a slap, but really a bizarre video. Yeah, you can see that on Billy's Twitter account. HEYI that must be in peanuts on the line.
Speaker 1: What's up, peanut sor right, what's up?
Speaker 5: I got a little I got a story about Vanderbilt all right, My childhood dude I grew up with across the street from me. Him and one of my other childhood best friend's sister got married and they moved to Tennessee and they had a son, and I've been following his baseball career pretty much his whole life. And he committed to Kentucky last year and then I haven't seen this guy for over thirty years either or so, but he committed to Kentucky and then he de committed and went to Vanderbilt because he's from Tennessee. That was his life while on dreen. So I went down to the Gainesville to the Florida and Vanderbilt game go meet him and watch him. And I hadn't seen the counts and years, and it was conveyed it was a real cool day. And he's a really good kid. And he said it was the hardest thing he ever had to do was decommit from me because he loved me a whole lot. So, yeah, but here's the thing, Yep, it was the key. It is that picture that hit was hit to hit our guy in the head.
Speaker 1: He was the he was the he was the picture.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's a picture that beating our guy.
Speaker 1: I gotcha, Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Well but he's really a good kid. I know. I didn't see the game. I had to listen to it, so I really don't know how what went down. Was there a stare down or something like that.
Speaker 1: But no, I think it just happened. Yeah, I think it just happened next to the cop.
Speaker 2: You know, we appreciate it, but yeah, you know, playing for Minji own, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Look, minjiones a great dude.
Speaker 2: But I'm sure he's speaking of people, you know, behind the scenes that are a little fiery.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Minjijones got a little fire in them too.
Speaker 2: I'm sure it's uh, you know, we've seen it before when he.
Speaker 3: Got half a little fire in his belly, would say so.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: Draft Kings Sportsbook Promo code ks R. Bet five dollars, get three hundred dollars in bonus bets. That's what you can do right now, fast and easy payouts, live betting player prop. It's all there for you. The NBA Playoffs, Man's shay last night, go.
Speaker 1: Off for forty, shay for forty.
Speaker 4: Cat scored twenty in the fourth the other night, and the Kentucky guys are doing well.
Speaker 2: And you can bet all of it on DraftKings Sportsbook Promo code KSR. We're gonna take a break, come right back and take some more of your phone calls up next. It is Shan the Dude and Billy Rutledge here on the ks OUR pre Show. All right, welcome back, it is the KSR AP Pre Show.
Speaker 3: Who sings this?
Speaker 2: It's John Anderson, my favorite country artist of all time.
Speaker 1: Love Johnny.
Speaker 2: But we just went by Renfro Valley where they have all the old school country bands and guys that you have no idea about. Billy, but I think John Anderson's coming to Renfro Valley. As I was passing that exit, I'm going, you know what, I may be coming back here later this year to see some John Anderson good stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not a country guy. I do like his twang though. Oh yeah, somebody slap me eight.
Speaker 2: Five nine twenty two eighty seven. We'll go back to the phones in just a minute. One person on Twitter at Shannon the Dude says, when was the last time that Billy r sports watched a Major League Baseball game? The catcher and pitcher it both had PitchCom since it was implemented at least once. In most games, the game is stopped when PitchCom isn't working for the pitcher, So yeah, they don't have to, you know, do the signal between the legs if you're the catcher, because they all have those in ear pieces.
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, that's fair. I don't watch a ton of baseball. Did you get a robot ums anyway? And the miners too, that's right, yeah, And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have mixed feelings about that, because you want to get the call right, but you're taking all the human element out of umpiring at that point, and you know, it is frustrating when your team gets a strike that you know it's highlighted too.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing about it.
Speaker 2: When you were watching baseball before they put that little box up there on the screen, you know you could sometimes tell IFILP was a striker or not. Now you definitely can because they've got that box, that little white box that's over the strike zone like you're playing a video game, and you can clearly see whether it's a ball or a strike.
Speaker 1: And some of those.
Speaker 2: Calls are you know, let's be real, if you're behind home plate, even if you're a professional major league umpire, you're gonna miss one every now and then. But now they got these that you're talking about. In the minor leagues, the umpires also have an ineer system that says ball or strike that calls it for them. So at that point, do we even need anybody behind the plate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess to sign.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's just to figure head at that point. I've I've kind of done a reversal on this. I've been somebody that wants the right call made. But like you said, it's sacrificing the human element, and that is baseball.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: Framing a pitch is an art that I do not want to be lost because we're watching a square on a television screen tell us exactly where the strike zone is. Unfortunately, so hopefully, hopefully that that doesn't go too.
Speaker 2: Did you see my guy Cunya just came back from the tour acl.
Speaker 1: First pitch, very first.
Speaker 2: Pitch on Friday night that he saw home run unbelievable next to bat single. So then I think the next game after that, on Saturday, I think.
Speaker 4: He also homered and then he threw somebody out from right field.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, yeah, So talk about a guy that comes back and just wastes no time to make an immediate impact.
Speaker 1: Our guy, Ronald Chuon your junior. Good to have him back.
Speaker 4: I don't watch baseball, but I saw those highlights over the last couple of days. Did you see any of the Indy five hundred, Shannon, No, I did not watch that.
Speaker 1: That was not on my radar.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: It was bizarre, Shannon. There was a wreck before the race even started. You know how they like they kind of just do like a slow like lap or two before the race even starts. Somebody wrecked during the slow rap before the slow lap, before the race even saw.
Speaker 1: That would be me.
Speaker 4: There was a wreck on the first lap right after the person got cleaned up after wrecking. Before the race started. There was a wreck on the first lap, Shannon. There were people catching on fire in the pit lane. There was a car that ran into the pit crew in the pit lane at one point, and then the race ended in a crash in caution.
Speaker 3: So it was just a bizarre day for the Indie five hundreds.
Speaker 2: Normally, I one of these guys that just can't watch racing because we talk about certain sports being boring, and I tend to think that racing is just boring. It's a big left hand turn for five hours, and I can't watch it. I mean, yeah, it sounds like I missed I missed out on that.
Speaker 3: Just just go catch the highlights.
Speaker 4: I mean seeing the the these cars plowing too, the pit crew guys as they go in for more gas and new tires, or somebody catching on fire.
Speaker 3: It was bizarre.
Speaker 4: I hate that the best part of racing events is the crashes. I'm not watching for the crash as Shannon, But that's what makes the highlight reels afterwards, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh? Yeah, for sure? At Shannon the dude.
Speaker 2: One person writes in and says, if you're the French president, how do you come back from being publicly slapped by your wife?
Speaker 1: That's a great quease.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like, how do you explain that?
Speaker 1: Because you know you're gonna be asked that question? Right?
Speaker 2: Like let's say you know it's President Trump and he's coming off a plane and Malannia reaches out and pushes him in the face.
Speaker 1: That's caught on camera. It makes you look weak.
Speaker 2: I would think, first of all, if you're the leader of a country, I don't know how you do damage control for that.
Speaker 4: Now, it could be different if it happened to me or you. I mean it would take a while. We may never live it down, but like we're entertainers, we could It could be a part.
Speaker 3: Of the radio show. But you were the president of a country.
Speaker 4: I can't help but think the negative press by that, and even the thoughts of other countries would would come into that.
Speaker 3: Here we go talking about things we don't know. But but Jim, what do you do? Do you divorce your right then and there or what?
Speaker 4: I don't know because it don't even get me started if the roles were reversed.
Speaker 2: Right, Oh no, no, we can't. You can't even have that conversation.
Speaker 3: But no, no, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a great question.
Speaker 4: Like it's got to be like a she comes out and says, oh, we do this little playful thing where he told me a joke and you.
Speaker 3: Completely lie about it.
Speaker 4: You've got nobody's believing that at all.
Speaker 1: Nobody is. Did you see this?
Speaker 2: So speaking of the uh we're talking and betting earlier with DraftKings, the NCAA is considering lifting a ban Billy that would prohibit college athletes and coaches from betting on pro sports.
Speaker 1: Do you think that if.
Speaker 2: You're a college athlete, obviously you can't bet on college athletics, But should you be allowed, in your opinion to bet on pro sports?
Speaker 3: Sure? Why not.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're not impacting the game, right, I completely understand about integrity when it comes to you betting on the sport that you play, But why not let somebody who is a college baseball player bet on Major League soccer? Shannon, I don't see the connection where that would be bad. I mean, can you play Devil's Advocate for a second, Like, why would that shouldn't be allowed? A college baseball player betting on Major League baseball games? Do you think that's looked at in a negative light?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean if you're going down that though, I mean you could also say I'm a player for Kentucky and why could not bet on ucla USC.
Speaker 1: I'm not in the game, I'm not impacting the game. Yeah, so I think the.
Speaker 3: Sport you play that's a little closer to home.
Speaker 2: But why does that matter. I'm not involved in the game. I'm not in the game itself, but.
Speaker 3: It's in the sport, it's in the same So you think.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between betting on pro sports and the instance. Now that's if I'm playing Devil's Advocate. I think that's where you would have the argument. Yeah, okay, so then what's just Okay, if I'm a college athlete, I can bet on, you know, the Pacers Knicks tonight, right, then why shouldn't I be able to bet on a college basketball game that I have nothing to do with.
Speaker 1: I'm not involved in the game.
Speaker 4: Well, I think essentially, like if you're a Kentucky player, like if you were Travis Perry and you wanted to bet on another SEC basketball game, that would feel weird. I feel like Travis Perry runs in circles where he could somehow impact the game. He knows a coach he could reach out to.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Shannon, This is a good argument.
Speaker 4: By you, because how do you not having any impact in this college game any different from you not having an impact in this professional game?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: Either way, you're not involved in it.
Speaker 2: But yet there's talk of them allowing college athletes to bet on pro sports.
Speaker 4: So would you rather have it so that where collegiate athletes can't bet at all? Or would you be okay with them betting on pro sports or college sports that they don't participate in. I would almost rather have them not bet at all if they're going to start betting on the games in which they partake in, the same conference.
Speaker 2: I got to think it would just be hard to govern, you know, like, Okay, now, once you're allowing college athletes to bet on pro sports, who's checking their DraftKings profile to make sure they're also not betting on college games? So you know, I don't know, it's an interesting question. I think that you know, if you're not betting on your team and you're not involved in the game itself, then you should be allowed to bet on it.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. I don't like it one bit.
Speaker 2: Right, But then again, it goes back to who's checking to make sure that you're not betting on your own team?
Speaker 1: So I think that's why there's these guardrails.
Speaker 2: Right now, if we just shut it down completely, you don't have to worry about checking each player individually to see they're betting on their team.
Speaker 1: You just aren't allowed to bet, period, point blank. That's it.
Speaker 4: And look, if you open these floodgates at all, there are going to be people that abuse it.
Speaker 3: There are going to be people that you know, do not do the right things.
Speaker 1: Hell was it?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 3: Was it Alabama's baseball coach calling.
Speaker 4: The guy at the casinos saying his starter wasn't gonna play, so you need to lay the money.
Speaker 3: On the other team. Things like that, Like it's I mean.
Speaker 4: If what do you you give them a little, they'll take a lot, and so you take them out.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: So I think that if you were to open this up to where college athletes can bet on professional sports, I'm sure you'd see many abuses of it.
Speaker 2: Aaron Rodgers has hinted Billy that he may end up being the quarterback for the Steelers next season. Coming out here this guy yeah, and so he was doing a like a Q and A with fans, and one fan asked, Hey, Aaron, would you consider signing with the New Orleans Saints and bringing us back? And he's like, no, absolutely not. He's so smug, you know, He's like, no, not going to happen. You're like, look, I'm old, I don't want to live in Louisiana.
Speaker 1: No offense.
Speaker 2: I was like, wow, talk about a guy that, Like, if you're a Saints fan, you didn't hate the guy already.
Speaker 1: He's like, I'm too old to be living. I don't want to live in Louisiana. But he did.
Speaker 2: He was asked if he would potentially sign with the Bears and he said something to the effect of, well, I believe there's a team that's going to be playing in Chicago this season, and you look at the Steelers schedule, they are playing in Chicago. So a lot of fans have sort of taken that as Okay, now he's hinting it that he will be the Steelers quarterback. Of course we've already heard, you know, rumors of that being true already. But Aaron Rodgers in Pittsburgh, it didn't quite work out as a jet.
Speaker 1: Any chance that it works out in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: Sure, I mean, he's just so such a talented player that he could make the people around him better. But smug is a good word for him, shann And because the Steelers are just waiting, right, I mean, they're just gonna They're trying to get on along with their season.
Speaker 3: They're trying to.
Speaker 4: Get ready for the next season, and they have to kind of sit with their hands tied and wait for Aaron Rodgers to make a decision.
Speaker 3: And the way Aaron talks has just been so disappointing.
Speaker 4: You know, Cal lost a lot of the fan base when he started talking down to the fans and his tone of voice, and I feel like Aaron Rodgers has done a lot of that, Shannon, whether it being he thinks that he knows better than you or saying crap like no.
Speaker 3: There's no way I'd play in New Orleans.
Speaker 4: I think it's funny in the moment, but also at times can turn people off in a lot of ways. And unfortunately, I have Aaron Rodgers fatigue. I don't know what it was. It may have been two years.
Speaker 3: Of us talking about ayahuasca and him.
Speaker 4: And the Jets and the McAfee show and the McAfee show, drama and things like that, and all him his drama getting out of the Packers. But you know, if he goes to Pittsburgh, I'm sure it will be a great match because Tomlin can do it with or without him.
Speaker 2: I didn't particularly love him as the Packers quarterback. I loved him because he was a great player, but I wasn't like, oh, yeah, there's Aaron Rodgers guy. He's such a great dude, you know, and neither you know who do we know? We don't know about Brett Farve either. If we go back and watch what I was talking about on Friday, you go and watch that Netflix show, You're like Yeah, I think I wasn't a great guy either, But you know, it just goes to show you you can be a smug a hole if you want to, in Aaron Rodgers case, but if you're a good quarterback, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Right, people are going to overlook that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And and kind of Green Bay Packer quarterbacks are a little bit like you know, Kentucky basketball coaches. They just don't happen very often, right, I mean, besides Bart Starr and Brett Farv and Aaron Rodgers and Jordan Love that's about it. And the Pittsburgh Steelers, you're kind of the same way when it comes to their head coaches.
Speaker 3: So continuity is a good thing. But Shannon, wasn't it weird?
Speaker 4: Like it was after sixteen years Farv left and he went to the Jets. Yep, after sixteen years Rogers left, he goes to the Jets, almost like he was fulfilling a prophecy there for a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think Aaron Rodgers will be going to.
Speaker 4: The vik He has to go to the Vikings, right and then win a playoff game?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so A five nine twenty two eighty seven.
Speaker 2: The Pickers, though, you talk about a team that has had great continuity of quarterbacks going all the way back to ninety two far of Rogers and Love. I don't know if there's any Is there another NFL team that's had that string of quarterbacks? I mean the Patriots. I guess right, if you go back, that's.
Speaker 3: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I mean, besides getting like a Peyton Manning that can take eighteen or fifteen years off of off of a shelf life, then no, it's it's tough to find continuity at that position.
Speaker 2: We're gonna take a break. Come right back for our final segment. It is the KSRP pre Show. We'll be right back. That's good stuff right there, Billy. I don't care who you are more John Anderson. Oh, nobody's got a voice like John Anderson.
Speaker 5: Behind this.
Speaker 3: I'm telling you I know this song, don't you. I've heard of a seminole win swinging well.
Speaker 4: Working with you guys for this many years, I've definitely heard it in the past.
Speaker 2: Poke writes it on Twitter and says, Hey, Shannon, I'm a huge John Anderson fan as well. Do you know how he got to start? A producer heard his singing on the roof of the operay while he was working on it to put a new roof on. Imagine that you're a roofer. I don't know if that's true or not. I'm going to go ahead and assume that it is. Why would poke a lot to me on Twitter about it in a direct message? But imagine, Billy, you're a roofer. You're hammering nails, knocking, you know, hammering shingles onto a roof. You're singing out loud, and a producer goes, that sounds pretty good. Why don't you come out in here and get on the stage instead of on the roof.
Speaker 4: That is an unbelievable story. Do you think my guy's just belting on top of the rooftop?
Speaker 2: Hey, she made Kentucky Joe does it like in public restrooms at the Meyer allegedly.
Speaker 3: A radio show he's on. So why not? John Anderson, I love that story. I'm gonna I'm gonna choose to believe that.
Speaker 2: All right. So Mark Pope has, you know, talked in interviews about a couple of rule changes that he would like to see made in college basketball.
Speaker 4: Billy one, I agree with one. I hate Okay.
Speaker 1: So you've heard him talking about wanting to expand.
Speaker 2: The college basketball regular season games too.
Speaker 1: I think he said forty right, I'm for that.
Speaker 2: You know, if you look at the schedule, there are certain weeks where Kentucky only plays once, and why not add another game or two in there where you can and expand it to forty I think, more college basketball.
Speaker 1: Who's going to hate that? I love that?
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: I think I liked this one, reasoning that the guys actually have a better GPA when they are in the season, so maybe you can get these guys better grades if you expand the season.
Speaker 3: So I am on the surface level for that as well.
Speaker 2: Now the one that I don't like that I've spoken out again. I think I talked about this just last week. He says that in college basketball, he would like to see the ball be advanced to half court after a time out. And we were just talking about the NBA and watching the playoffs and how much I hate that rule where you get to advance the ball after a time out. Mark Pope would like to see that in college basketball. Billy, I'm obviously not a fan of it. Would you be in favor of time out? You're on the opposite end of the court, but you get to advance the ball to half court because you burn a time out.
Speaker 4: Well, I think of like the Butler half court shot in the National Championship game that almost went in, or was it the Gonzaga guy Sugs hitting a half court shot in the Final four. So it does create some exciting moments, But for the most part, if you were to advance the ball up the court, would you get more chances at those buzzer beaters? Shannon Like, is that what the reasoning behind mark posts sought? Is this is that you could have more exciting plays like that.
Speaker 2: I mean you still, yeah, if you advance the ball, obviously you could still have buzzer beaters. But it's going from a guy who's shooting a you know, shot half from behind half court to a guy who's.
Speaker 1: Shooting a three point shot at the buzzer. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just don't like that role at all. I didn't like it in I don't like it in the NBA. And I understand that college basketball is slowly becoming more and more like the pro game. You know, it's only a matter of time before they go to quarters, which I'm fine with that too. You want to talk about a rule that should be changed and every other aspect of basketball, I mean probably even down to little league. We have four quarters, you know in college in women's college basketball, it's four quarters. NBA obviously four quarters. I don't understand why they haven't moved that to four quarters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the quarters thing, the trying to speed up these games in the final two minutes, whether it be making coaches have challenges or just speeding up the review process. I think those problems need to be handled much more than we do advancing the ball. But I can definitely get behind more games, Shannon, because that's that's more revenue for Kentucky if they're gonna add a couple of home games.
Speaker 2: So you didn't really take a stance. Are you pro or con moving the ball for.
Speaker 1: A time out?
Speaker 4: I guess I'm gonna go pro me. Okay, Yeah, I'm fine with it. We've changed these sports to just something completely different to what they once were, and why not make basketball the same as.
Speaker 2: Men's Right, we're putting ghost runners on base and ghost runners in the game.
Speaker 1: Get the game.
Speaker 2: Everybody's got to get home. Nobody got time for this game. Nobody wants free baseball. Remember when free baseball was like yeah, man, we get extra innings.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Major League Baseball is like, all right, let's just get this thing over with and go home as quickly as pos.
Speaker 3: We got a game the next day, Shannon, and we got to get this over with.
Speaker 2: Billy Americans are spending. They stay on average up one thousand dollars a year on subscriptions. Are you over or under one thousand dollars a year in subscription?
Speaker 3: I'm probably over that.
Speaker 4: I mean, YouTube TV is close to ninety dollars a month, right, is it that much now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So that much alone. I got YouTube TV.
Speaker 2: I feel like I was a pioneer when it comes to the YouTube TV.
Speaker 4: I got it when it was like twenty eight bucks a month. You're telling me it's ninety a month now. I got it when it was like thirty five forty. I believe now it's eighty five ninety. But you can make your own you know. Was it the four screens where you can watch four games in the box the picture.
Speaker 1: And you can make your own body. I've literally had picture and pictures since the nineties.
Speaker 4: So now you can have secret lives of Mormon wives on with the NBA Finals game on.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, then you wouldn't have to set up both TVs like you have to write that's right, aren't you the one that has like two or three different TV Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm a twoer TV household. You should be a two TV household as well.
Speaker 3: You'll never go back.
Speaker 1: So you're over a thousand easy, just.
Speaker 3: In that easy.
Speaker 4: I mean then one subscription, so I'm probably closer to I'm way under.
Speaker 2: I have only I was like, okay, how many subscriptions do I have?
Speaker 1: I got one?
Speaker 5: I got one.
Speaker 1: It's my workout out. That's it. That's the only subscription that I have.
Speaker 4: That media box really coming in here, I don't have. I'm not paying anywhere close now, Netflix, HBO.
Speaker 2: If you're paying one thousand dollars a year in subscriptions, it's on you.
Speaker 3: There are ways thousand, I mean, come on, those are rookie numbers.
Speaker 1: DraftKings sports book.
Speaker 2: You can save some money and maybe, hey when even more money on DraftKings.
Speaker 1: With promo code KSR. You bet five dollars.
Speaker 2: If your first bet hits, you're gonna get three hundred dollars in bonus bets. You can bet on the NBA playoffs, Nicks and Pacers Tonight Billy who wins.
Speaker 3: I'm going Nicks. Let's go to Mason Square Garden. Let's go back there. Tied up.
Speaker 1: I think the Pacers go up three to one.
Speaker 2: The other series is three to one as well, but anyway, promo code KSR only on DraftKings. The crown is yours for Billy R Sports. I'm shaving the dude. KSR is up next. Thanks for listening and see it