Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by All State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States Savings. Ferry terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: This episode is.
Speaker 3: Brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg. Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jirelle Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheadle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Knavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime video.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's Nick right. What's Right with Nick Right?
Speaker 4: On YouTube and on your favorite podcast platform. Hope you had or are having a wonderful Fourth of July holiday. We had the day off, So here's a little bit of the best of the first few months of What's Right with Nick right alongside my son. So I have gone out on a limb and picked the maps to beat the suns. They are okay, I picked the maps. We can get into that in the moment.
Speaker 2: Where do I look?
Speaker 5: But okay, I feel that just playing a symbol by uh. I've always felt that when I by, when I got when I started my own record, when I had young money and I had NICKI and Drake and it was just Onneika and Aubrey. You know what I mean? You know I mean, I've always felt that I have to stay current. I have to stay current, I have to stay cool, I have to stay all at because I want them to see and I want them to know what it takes and I want them to know that. Okay, I don't want them to ever get comfortable because I know for a fact you're going to be successful, more successful than me, because that's my that's my goal. But I don't want you to get there and get comfortable. I want you to see how I'm never comfortable.
Speaker 4: What what did you seeing Drake just playing?
Speaker 5: Once he started, uh, they you know he was brought to me by check this guy out. He could rap, He's from Canada and all that. So that, right, that was already just interesting when I heard what he always. What I loved about Drake was when I was the first first time I heard him. That was nothing about every every song I heard, that was nothing about, you know, harming no one, you know what I mean, There was nothing about there was nothing, nothing on there try to try to sound hard, and I was like, this dude just made me love. I was like, he could have literally wrapped about him eating cereal in the morning and going going to a corner store at what he ate for, Like he made it sound cooler than what I'm I'm talking about, and that right that struck me. Right, that was like, so I need this guy. I was like, he could talk about it. And then what happened was a hook came on on his song. I was like, that was a nice little hook.
Speaker 2: I was like, who's that on the hook?
Speaker 5: Like that's him? And I was like the person in the hook is singing.
Speaker 4: Dude, you know what's so funny? So me and oh gosh, Daniel shout out the name of the songs.
Speaker 2: You remember.
Speaker 4: One of me and my wife's first songs is a Drake song where he raps in the beginning, or he raps the whole thing, but the chorus is singing. And it was one of the baby You're the best, Baby You're my everything that song, and man, I had listened to the song with her for probably nine months before I knew that it was Drake. Was Drake doing both parts? That I thought it was two different people?
Speaker 2: All right? What about Nicki? What made you want to be in business with her?
Speaker 5: Playing and simple? Nicky was already when I was starting this late when I had my label, I was already knew I want someone from New York like playing simple rap. I love New York playing rap comes from New York. I need something. Never knew it would be a female. Yeah, yep, you know when she was she was bought. When I've seen her and she's spinning it. She killed everything, She killed every person I had heard, who I was trying to hear, who I was. Whatever I did, whatever you want to call it auditioning. I'm shopping with she killed all that, and I'm like, that's it made no she it was hands down and she's a part of the team.
Speaker 4: On Sunday on Twitter, you claim Michael Jordan's switch hand layup was somehow not impressive.
Speaker 2: Uh, some folks think that you're a hater. Yeah, defend yourself. Okay.
Speaker 4: So here's the deal that that is a still shot. We can't show you the full video on if you're watching, but everyone knows this because it has been just absolutely forced down our throats for thirty years as if this is one of the greatest moments.
Speaker 2: In NBA history. It flatly is not.
Speaker 4: Here's the thing, Jordan might be the greatest player ever. I don't think he is, but obviously there is a strong case to be made for him. But that doesn't mean we have to mythologize everything about him. Jordan was once he started winning titles, was not a great highlight producer.
Speaker 2: He was.
Speaker 4: He was so fundamentally sound and such a killer, and his mid rangels unstoppable, and it's the greatest fadaway jump shot ever.
Speaker 2: But those things aren't great highlights.
Speaker 4: His only really great truly great highlights the latter half of his career are the jump shots to win playoff games and win the finals. Those obviously are great moments, but because like here's my point.
Speaker 2: It's not logo. Yeah, that's from early in his career.
Speaker 4: In the in the slam Dunk contest. Absolutely, But if you think about the highlights you see forever throughout NBA history, there these amazing feats of athleticism and then a couple basic ass Jordan plays like the highlights that live forever. It's like, holy shit, doctor j jumped, put the ball behind the backboard, hung in the air, got it around to the other side.
Speaker 2: It's like, is he the only person in the world who could do it?
Speaker 4: Vince Carter jumped over a seven foot three inch French dude and ended his career. It's like, is that the greatest thing I've ever seen in my life?
Speaker 3: Stay?
Speaker 4: Even Steph Curry, the eerie one unanimous MVP. You're you're in overtime against Katie and Russ. There's four seconds left. He just pulls up casually from forty two feet bang.
Speaker 2: It's like, holy crep. Lebron is thirty feet behind.
Speaker 4: The play tracks down Iguadala pins it the Shaquille O'Neal.
Speaker 2: He pulled the basket down and it hit him in the head. These are the iconic moment.
Speaker 4: And then it's like and Michael Jordan once had a spin move baseline and kind of dunked on Patrick Ewing. And another time Michael Jordan switched hands on a layup.
Speaker 2: Holy look at this. Why do you think Katie is singling you out like that on Twitter?
Speaker 4: Okay, so this is my question, and this is what I can't figure out. Does Katie hate me or really like see that's what That's what I was thinking, Like, I don't think that he's uh.
Speaker 2: I think it is like me.
Speaker 4: And fun or like frenemies exactly free. Because here's the thing. If people didn't see this exchange. Someone I didn't tweet to him. Someone tweeted to Durant, did you see nick Wright's Club Superstar segment? He had a funny line about Kyrie, And Durant responded and said, I didn't see it, but I'm sure it was trash. Anyone can do Nicky's job, and he calls.
Speaker 2: Me Nicky, right.
Speaker 4: He then says, because someone's like, hey, don't be mean to Nick, and he says he makes millions of dollars. Thanks Katie, appreciate that, and so he's subject for criticism. That's how this works, right, And I did respond to that. I said, that is actually exactly.
Speaker 2: How this works. You are correct, Kevin Durant. I am in the public eye.
Speaker 4: I have a big boy job with big compensation that I have decided to put myself out there. Anything someone wants to say about my job performance and even minor personal shots are fair, right. And I think Kevin Durant thought he was like check making. It's like check meeting me Like, oh, you don't like what it happens to you, But isn't that what they say about me? Like I make millions of dollars, I should be able to expected you to.
Speaker 2: Take a Kyrie's standpoint of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you are subject to criticism like that is what goes with the territory, And so I don't.
Speaker 2: I am a big believer that I've never been.
Speaker 4: I have been mean at times to Durant, but I've never been out of bounds.
Speaker 2: I've never been unfair.
Speaker 4: I didn't participate when people were making fun of his ankles. Never that I thought that. I thought that was out of bounds. I was like, you know what, I'm gonna sit in this one out fellas. I feel like, A, that's not necessarily a white person conversation, and B I'm not I'm not participating in that. So I don't think I've ever really gone overboard, and I don't think he's gone overboard with me. And then, but here's the other thing when I say I don't know for friends or enemies, because I then tweeted at least I had you in Club Superstar Kevin. I put at least I had you in Club Superstar Kevin. I don't think people really call him Kevin. They call him K or KD. And that's why he wrote thank you Nicholas and did the handshake emoji. So I you know what, we had low Wayne on this show is a great time. We don't really do guests on this show. I was thinking about trying to get Ti on the show because I had him in my top five, and I don't think a lot of people do.
Speaker 2: I want to get Duranto.
Speaker 4: I think Durant and I sitting down, I don't think it would be all lovey dovey, but I think there is a mutual respect along with a bit of dislike that I think could be compelling.
Speaker 2: So that's a new goal.
Speaker 4: Go Gabe, who's the you know, the the grand puba blue doock Media, Go ahead and make that happen, if you would please.
Speaker 2: It's very very easy for me.
Speaker 4: To make the way we all fill out brackets and all our bracket contests better and it makes your social feeds more tolerable. We all come together and make a solemn oath, a commitment that if we want the ability to send out a single tweet or ig post or TikTok video anything bragging about how good or the old reverse brag, Oh my bracket so busted, look at how bad it is, if we want to do any draw any attention to calling an upset to having this team going in the final four, then here's the solemn oath we all make. We're filling out one one bracket per person. Now you can insert that bracket into thirty competitions if.
Speaker 2: You want, don't care.
Speaker 4: But what must end is the cowardice of oh yeah, I have six different brackets.
Speaker 2: I have a favorite.
Speaker 4: Look at these idiots in the control room, and I use that term not lightly but idiots. Okay, I have one bracket, a chalk bracket. I have one bracket an underdog's bracket. I have one bracket of oh this is where if the mascots were actual beings and they fought.
Speaker 2: Who would win.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, okay, the bulldog is and lost to a tiger. So lsu over draw nonsense.
Speaker 2: You fill out.
Speaker 4: If you want to be able to brag, you fill out one bracket. You post that bracket before eleven h five am Eastern on Thursday.
Speaker 2: It is allowed for the world to see and your roll with it.
Speaker 4: This is too many people treat brackets like the idiots at the roulette wheel that that put their put their chips down on twenty six of the thirty six numbers, and then when it comes in they're like, oh look at me. It's like, actually, duefish, you lost money on that spend and that's terrible. So no one bracket per person, per and that's it. I'm very passionate about this. Take quick break, come right back on what's right.
Speaker 2: Here's the only tweak I would make.
Speaker 4: It's not a massive tweak, because teams should be a little embarrassed when they end up in the lottery. Thirty teams in the League sixteen make the playoffs, so you got to be a below average team to make the lottery. You should be really embarrassed if you show up in the lottery repeatedly.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think owners should be allowed to send emissaries there, so like the Blazers sent Dame and the Pelicans sent Swin Cash, who's their VP of basketballs. I think the lottery and some owners go occasionally. Dan Gilbert famously used to go with the Caps. I think the owners of all the lottery teams should have to go, and they should have ownership statistics, so it would say, for the veck who owns the Kings, it should say the vech rand adva, pardon me if I get his last year, last five, Yeah, lottery veteran, his ninth consecutive season in the lottery, in his ninth season of ownership, absolutely disposed them.
Speaker 2: And then like when a team that's.
Speaker 4: Well run shows up, it's like, oh, it's like, okay, the Blazers first season in the lottery in six years, Like okay, good for them, Like you're doing a good job that way, you're not tanking well. It's seems sometimes would tank, but owners have to be known. There has to be some shame to it. Oh, the QR codes, thank you. I've been trying to get this in for rehearsal shows, for all these shows.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: So I sent out a tweet when I was out of the country saying QR codes as menus as menu replacement is one of those things that is supposed to make your life better and is just immeasurably and in every way made things worse.
Speaker 2: And I stand by.
Speaker 4: People were like, oh, Nick, you've never worked in the service industry.
Speaker 2: You don't know what.
Speaker 4: I don't know what what a pain in the asked is to be like, hey, here's your menu, Like, oh, I owe Nick, but we like to update them daily.
Speaker 2: No you don't, Nick, I wasn't. That is correct. I was never a waiter.
Speaker 4: But let me tell you something, waiters, I'm saving your jobs because QR codes is menus or the Canary and the coal mine to you guys being replaced, because what's after QR codes's menus is you go from the QR code. It's like, oh I think I might want the SIMP Did I did? I just order it with my finger? Oh my gosh, I did that's coming, so I'm saving your jobs.
Speaker 2: Just like.
Speaker 4: Another advancement that made things worse was the self checkout line. It's like, oh, this is nice. I just have a quart of milk. I don't want to wait in this line to just go whoop. Oh that's kind of fun. I get to use a little scanner like I want to do as a kid, tap to pay, and I'm out of here.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, you go to a Whole Foods.
Speaker 4: Lately, there's three people actually checking people out and there's sixty of us doing that job.
Speaker 2: It's like, I gotta look up avocato. You got six types of avocado? How am I supposed to know? I gotta way this now.
Speaker 4: It's good if you like to steal, I understand that, But that can't be the real reason. That's the other thing. These companies know. They know you're stealing from the self checkout. They're doing it anyway because it's like, well, it's still cheaper for us than actually, you know, employing people. But back to the menus is QR codes you got it? There's so many problems with it. First of all, if you don't have Wi Fi in your place, I might not even get the menu. Second of all, now I'm on my phone already. I'm on my phone now. All of a sudden, I see a bad tweet from demanse. I'm respond to that. I'm not engaging with the people around me. Qr Codes's menus add no benefit whatsoever. They're awful, they're a job killer, they're irritating, they're bad for social mora's such as put your damn phone away and let's have a conversation with people, get rid of them.
Speaker 2: And so I just find that argument to be.
Speaker 4: A little banal and and a little trite for what could be a little a little bit of trite, a little bit of a banal, a little bit of trick.
Speaker 2: All right, well do what? Yeah, yeah, okay, banal? But b in al b a in al. Would you like me definition.
Speaker 4: Lacking in originality as to become obvious and boring?
Speaker 3: Dude?
Speaker 2: Is that not the perfect word? Thank you appreciate that. Good job. You should work that into your your lexicon. All right.
Speaker 4: You have to promise you won't look at me differently, you promise, okay? Uh?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: So I was in college, so it's about Mike. You know what it was the day after I turned twenty one. I remember the day because, by the way, this is a funny story, but there's not. I mean, it ends with I don't know. The police called it a stabbing. I would have called it a cutting. And it ended badly for a lot of people. I wasn't one of them.
Speaker 2: Because had he play up here. So here's where we go.
Speaker 4: So I'm trying to I'm my car is blocked in by a girl who.
Speaker 2: Lives in the apartment beneath him.
Speaker 4: Okay, and she does this all the time, blocks in not just my car, the whole apartment complex, like leaves her car in the only entrance exit and just to run into her whatever. So I shout, hey, move your car. She shouts back, give me a minute. I'm getting in the shower, like you're getting in the shower. So I shout again, move your car. The apartment above her unrelated party streams down with a lot of offensive language and yells I'm angry now doubly so I yelled back to them, I'm not talking to you, you know, basically, shut up. I'm like this, yelled to the girl, move your car. About thirty seconds later, two guys walk down. They are both what I would call, you know, strapping gentlemen, sizeable guys. And one of them says, you better apologize to my friend.
Speaker 2: He's a marine, he'll kick your ass. And I you know you, you you know me, I'm not.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't like the back down element.
Speaker 4: So I instead of apologizing, I got right in the space and I said, and I said, I'm not apologizing. I wouldn't even talking to you. So you have two options, hit me or walk away and.
Speaker 2: Say excuse me.
Speaker 4: And before I could say it a second time, he chose option A, and this went south man bad.
Speaker 2: I mean, he tracks me and I.
Speaker 4: Kind of buckle and then he grabs me and and I'm now up against the apartment building wall, and I mean, it's just like, I don't know what his training was, but it was more than mine. And so I try to like wiggle away and he gets me on I'm face down in the gravel driveway and he has a military choke on me, and I am blacking out, and my friend who was with me ends up is fighting the other guy. So I have no that's where the bad stuff happened between them, not between me, and I'm I'm blacking out and I and I'm like, I can't die this way, and so I did.
Speaker 2: I started tapping up. I was like, sake mercy, like sir, what like? I started tapping out. No, he didn't. No, tap out did not work.
Speaker 4: My buddy ended up running over and knocking him off me. And then then it got it got rough. But so your might sounds like it wasn't great, man, But I didn't tap out.
Speaker 2: I had no choice.
Speaker 4: Man, Everyone can laugh at the guy tapping out. You you get rear naked choked in the street once and see the lights going out, I mean you should, man, anyone lying. His friend said he was a marine. I thought I we tried to leave that. The window was like cracked in my car. This dude put both hands on the window and broke broke, shattered it in his hands.
Speaker 2: I've seen a video over cop.
Speaker 4: Oh, this guy wasn't listen. That was fifteen years ago. You know what, he might be a cop.
Speaker 2: Now doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: I feel like you like think that sitting in your chair and watching the game, we'll like determine the outcome.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't actually think that, but sometimes I have the feeling like whatever I was.
Speaker 2: Sitting there, they probably would have almost happened. Man, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I know that I left and what was a tie game? When I got up, they're down twenty four points. And then I didn't couldn't stand to be around you anymore. So I went upstairs and watched the rest of my bed.
Speaker 2: That's what happened. Okay.
Speaker 4: Uh, you got any warrants or anything you gotta worry about, you're gonna show up.
Speaker 2: I have several, several. That's why I figured, Uh, you just want to get started. Go ahead, all right?
Speaker 4: So welcome back in in my son's place now instead of demands, is none other than my grandfather in.
Speaker 2: Law, mister Jones. Mister Jones, granddaddy. I see how are you? I'm doing good.
Speaker 4: So I got a question for you. When you first met me fourteen years ago? Did you ever think you'd be sitting here doing a little YouTube show with your old grandson?
Speaker 2: Nick?
Speaker 4: Right answered no, no, what did? Can I tell the story of when we first met? Okay, do you remember?
Speaker 2: Cool? Oh? You remember? So I came to Sacramento.
Speaker 4: Yes, and Danielle, your granddaughter, told me we need to go see grandmother and grandfather and we.
Speaker 2: Need to get there early.
Speaker 4: So we got there at like seven thirty in the morning, and grandmother was cooking, and I came in the kitchen and you know, I talk loudly.
Speaker 2: Would you agree with that? Yes? Indeed, And we hadn't seen you yet.
Speaker 4: And then you came out of like a bathroom.
Speaker 2: The bathroom, that's correct. And how would you describe your your clothing situation? I will still got just get out a bit, I guess, Yeah, yeah, you were.
Speaker 4: You were, I think, shirtless and coming out. And do you remember what you said to me?
Speaker 2: Who held this white boy in the house?
Speaker 4: You actually said, who is this John brown white boy making all this noise in the house? Yeah, that is exactly what happened then, and I introduced myself and then you said I'll be right back, and then you went back to your room and you got dressed, and then you asked me a question and it was about insurance.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that part of it? Don okay? Tell you can tell the audience of on Lye. I had just met him.
Speaker 4: Danielle and I had been together for six seven months, but we knew we were getting thereried and so I really wanted to impress her grandparents so her grandfather, who's always been, you know, an imposing figure for this fifteen years ago, so you were you know, you were in your prime. You're in the mid seventies fifteen years ago, so you're even more of an imposing figure. You say, uh, do you have life insurance?
Speaker 2: You remember that? Okay, well you do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, grandmother sitting over there, remembers it. You said, do you have life insurance? And I said, yes, sir, i do. And then you said, is my granddaughter a beneficiary? And I said yes she is, which I don't even know if it was true, and you said perfect, I'll be right back. And you called me outside, and you had a ladder up against the side of.
Speaker 2: Your house and giant hedge clippers, and do you remember what you made me do? What would you make me do? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Their direct TV wasn't working, so he had me climb the ladder in the most unsafe fashion imaginable with these giant hedge clippers.
Speaker 2: Wait, are you leaving us? You can't leave, you can't.
Speaker 4: Leave yet, the most unsafe fashion possible to trim the tree. But now, oh he's fixing the mic. But now, let's be honest. Fifteen years later, I'm I'm probably your favorite non blood relative.
Speaker 2: Correct correct? Oh, yes, Oh, that's going to cause a lot of drama.
Speaker 4: Did you ever I mean, since your days in the military, have you ever had this much affection for as you put a white one? No, no, yeah, it probably didn't see that coming. No, this is one of the greatest people I've ever known. He has been how long you guys been married? Sixty close close to sixty.
Speaker 2: Fifty nine years, ninety one years.
Speaker 4: Young, mister Abram Jones, granddaddy, Thank you, I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Good to see you.
Speaker 4: She's on the life insurance Now, am I on yours? Is a better question? All right, We'll see you guys next.
Speaker 2: We know. So there was.
Speaker 4: Today's best of What's Right. We're back on Thursday with a regular episode, and on Sunday we continue our countdown of the fifty greatest players the last fifty years as we get into players four and five of the fifty greatest players last fifty years. That's on Sunday. Back with the regular show on Thursday on What's Right,