Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Pandora.
Speaker 2: Hey it's Unpaid Bill. On this week's Quest Love Supreme Classic, we talked to comedian, writer and filmmaker Mike Rofiglia about his real life sleepwalking, his movie Don't Think Twice, and the insatiable nature of success. This is from November ninth, twenty sixteen. See you on the next go round.
Speaker 3: Shut Up Bill, Just start the episode.
Speaker 4: Suprema su su Supremo roll call, Suprema Suck Suck Supremo roll call, Suprema Suck Suh Supremo roll call, Suprema Suck Suck Suprema roll call.
Speaker 3: I am Questlove. Yeah, I do not quit.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Today We're gonna find out. Yeah, Bobby ruined good Ship.
Speaker 4: Whoa Suprema Sun Sun Supremo. Role called Suprema su su Suprema roll call.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I got electric ladies. Yeah, they come to my crib. Yeah, Rice and.
Speaker 4: Suprema Sun Sun Suprema roll Calm, Suprema soun son.
Speaker 3: Supremo roll called. My name is Steve, Yeah, Sugar Steve.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I feel like I'm not wanted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, in this room, roll call Suprema So soun Supremo role call.
Speaker 2: My name is Bill. Yeah, I'm still unpaid. Yeah, got divorced. Yeah, I need to get the ro Suprema.
Speaker 4: Sun Sun Suprema roll Calm Suprema Soun Son Suprema roll.
Speaker 3: Call Ham Boss Bill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like Tater Tots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I run this show. Yeah, don't believe me.
Speaker 4: Just watch Sam Son Sun Supreme. Roll call Suprema Son Sun Suprema roll Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Please don't fight me. Yeah, because I don't know how to do this.
Speaker 4: Oh, Suprema Son Sun Supremo, Roll call, Suprema Son Sun Suprema roll call.
Speaker 7: My name is Mike. Yeah, I'm not going for a hike. Yeah, I ain't look at my physique.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Suprema Suprema roll call, Suprema Son Sun Supremo, Roll call Supremo Son So Supremo, Roll call Suprema So So Supreme. Roll.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to another addition of Course Love Supreme only on Pandora. Yes, I'm Course Love and we got the team Supreme with us, and today we got a really great show for you. Comedian, writer, actor and director Mike Burbigley is on the show he'll be on in a bit, and we're talking about his new movie Don't Think Twice, which is out next Wednesday on iTunes and on December sixth on Blu Ray. And before all that, we're going to check in with the Team Supreme. We are here at our home at Electric Ladies Studios.
Speaker 3: Yeah that sugar, Steve. Yes, we're back at Electric Lady Man. We never left. We never left.
Speaker 5: I've been hiding under this couch for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Steve and I first met each other twenty years ago at where we are right now, this location.
Speaker 5: Very to our anniversary tonight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's good to be here. I just never knew that our return to Electric Ladies Studios would be a radio show. Yeah, exactly. Okay, So to my left, going clockwa uh Sugar Steve, what's up pal?
Speaker 5: Feeling good?
Speaker 3: You're feeling good?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: Okay, great, stomach hurts, my head is killing.
Speaker 3: Me, okay, okay, unpaid Bill? How you doing?
Speaker 7: Bro?
Speaker 2: Good man?
Speaker 3: Are you I'm great?
Speaker 2: How's life fantastic?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Sometimes you look like ship? Thank you coming from you?
Speaker 3: Very sure?
Speaker 2: It's really really painful.
Speaker 3: Fine TiO another day, another dollar, brother, how's it going man? I can't complain it though.
Speaker 8: Man, I'm sitting here a quest a little supreme, an electric lady and ship chopping up this paper.
Speaker 3: You couldn't leave it, you could, all right, we are officially chopping on paper? What the fuck does that mean? Up the paper? It's like you know what I mean?
Speaker 9: Oh, you know for those that are as well as tell everybody, oh, what's chopping up paper?
Speaker 8: Chopping up paper is a colloquialism used in the American South among negroes who are probably making their money in the legal activities such as drug dealing or money laundering, and it replied.
Speaker 1: It is referred to as you know, I'm gaining this currency at an alarming rate. I'm amassing legal tender.
Speaker 8: As at a rate that is just incredible. So I'm here by chopping up the paper. It doesn't mean I'm literally putting blades to the paper and then breaking it off.
Speaker 5: It's just counterfeit money.
Speaker 3: It could be chopping it up, you could.
Speaker 8: You could be breaking it up like in the sheets like white. But it's just very much you know, I'm chopping up that paper.
Speaker 3: Boss, Bill, hold on, come on stop. How are we doing doing really well? More importantly, how am I doing? You're doing great, You're doing a good job. But this is only the first like five minutes though, right, No, we've.
Speaker 9: Been at this for like about ten minutes so far. Okay, we'll see. That's that's what you're afforded to keep you in mind.
Speaker 3: You're doing a great job.
Speaker 1: And I guess the most notable thing to mention at the top here is that the familiar female voice you've heard on the past few episodes, A quest love supreme.
Speaker 3: Yes, Layah. She's officially part of our family now of our show, the growing Yeah, the team grows. Uh, I figured that we need uh sorry, what's brass? I've known this lady.
Speaker 1: Since she since we were young and uh wait since she was that No, you know she's my my comrade from Philadelphia. Uh no, you're f Philly, thank you.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now I'm already regretting this. This this is welcome, like yea Saint Clair.
Speaker 6: Yes, sorry, I'm not good with compliments.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to give you a nickname. Well, she used to be Lady La Yah on Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: It was just like, where do you see a lady? Where was she at?
Speaker 3: Were you not?
Speaker 7: Lady?
Speaker 6: Like's like two thousand syllables.
Speaker 3: So what was your club name?
Speaker 4: What was.
Speaker 6: Like the other chip? But like, you know, no, this just seems like it's going to get me in trouble.
Speaker 3: Later worked in the daytime.
Speaker 6: No, you don't make no money in the daytime at the strip club.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, because you have to think, like what kind of person goes to the strip club?
Speaker 6: This is the gold club right right?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying because you actually I fell it's and realized, Oh ship, I just.
Speaker 3: Wait, are we still on the air right now? Yeah, we are still on the air. We've been yanked off the air.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I went to college.
Speaker 3: Everybody. Yeah, I was going to say, let's let's play in a different picture of Laya.
Speaker 9: I've been working with Laya behind the scenes for several weeks now. She's very very smart, very intelligent. We are blessed to have ya No, no, no, no, no, let me okay, you're just saying I'm lying, Well, yeah that she's not.
Speaker 1: Pleasant now Liyas is actually uh Philadelphia radio h Royalty. She's been You've been on radio in Philadelphia for least.
Speaker 6: Eleven since I was eleven years No, I knew you since you were twelve. No, I just don't want them to know that I'm old. But yeah, that's fine. I've been on listen. I was on the radio for like fifteen years.
Speaker 3: Let's just keep it real, okay, Okay, yeah, yeah, you've done a great job. That's why you're here.
Speaker 10: I just want to mention y'all said something about Source magazine not being valid, but it's still valid in twenty thirteen and fourteen because I was in the top thirteen radio. So as long as that's still going on, Oh wow, magazine is still valad. I just I wasn't on the radio on twenty fourteen, but they still put me in there.
Speaker 1: So I just want to get him to love shows you how much credibility then, I mean, really, he's gonna put you on the list. She didn't even got a god damn show saying Wow, Pooty don't need no words, Pooty don't need no meals, Pooty don't need no radio show.
Speaker 3: Pooty No what Pooty do? Yo?
Speaker 1: Why I just found out that Lewis c K he wrote and directed. Wow, I did that is these movies? It should have want oscars. Pooty shouldn't want to fucking.
Speaker 8: Pooty jang Oscar and Clifton File should get a Lifetime Achieving Award DC.
Speaker 1: Clifton Power. Dude, he's black excellence. Like he's one of those black actors. He was a black father. He's a black father. But then he'll turn around and like he'll be in fucking Star.
Speaker 3: Wars like he worked. He just be working Star Wars and he was in he wasn't the Star Wars. But he'll be in like some big budget like Minister Society, and then he'll be he.
Speaker 8: Was in his society. But then his greatest role I think was Pinky in Next Friday. He really just really there was a rich emotional tap just really fine.
Speaker 3: I mean fine time out front?
Speaker 2: Can we.
Speaker 3: Now I have to analyze you.
Speaker 1: How like the sponge that is your brain and the information that it retains. I said that it is an amazing You might need to be the guest next week.
Speaker 6: Is that like no weed influence? Like seriously, is that no weed influence?
Speaker 3: No? I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean I would just since I was a kid, I just been able to just kind of retain some reading. I mean, I smoke, but I'm not I'm not a smoker. I mean, if you know, I'll do it in the gathering. If like y'all got one, Hell yeah, we're going in. It's a celebration.
Speaker 8: Oh no, I don't really smoke, no wheed like that because it's just it just it kills my productivity. And it was just one episode I had.
Speaker 1: Where I was driving back from the White House high and the road started Chris crasing, So I told God, I wasn't doing that shit no moment. Well, wait, I'm going to ask you something because this is what I learned. Haven't recently just visited uh Maui where the speed limit the average speed limit thirty five? Oh shit, thirty five. Like it would be like something where it's like, okay, so where's the whole food that they'll be like, oh it's eight miles away.
Speaker 3: You'll get there and like uh forty minutes. Wow yeah, and you gotta drive thirty five.
Speaker 1: And the logic was that it stops uh drunk driving uh incidents. But the thing is, I'm like keep saying, if you're inebriated, good one. If you're inebriated, Uh, will you see that thirty five.
Speaker 3: Predominant?
Speaker 1: Like will yeah see that I don't know, but if you're driving slow, like, won't that put your life at risk more?
Speaker 3: I don't know, I don't know what.
Speaker 8: The one time I did it, it was uh and that was it. Like that shit scared the shit out of me, dude. And that's another reason, like drugs actually really like scared me. So that one experience, it was me and a girl I was seeing at the time, and we were smoking, just smoking, like just smoking, just for fucking smoking, and we.
Speaker 3: Had a damnt and we was doing it. That was like seven smokings.
Speaker 8: Man, We was just smoking and she was actually I mean to bring it all home to Electric Lady. This was after one of your fam artists that you here produced had finished her sophomore album, so we were kind of celebrating that she was had finished.
Speaker 3: She related to that artist.
Speaker 1: Wasn't related, Oh god, no, it wasn't her. I know you're talking about it wasn't related, But was it related? No, re doubt disrespect to that person, but I maybe now I wasn't here, but but now we were hanging and so she had it on the on the pipe and you know, man, I just I mean where I'm from, pipes mean crack so smoking off a pipe just felt real crackish to me, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: But I was like, I mean, whatever, we're doing it. So I was smoking it off the pipe and it is real pure. So I was like, damn on Hunger's hell, we need to go to the guy in the White House. And so I drove to the waffle House and we went to the waffle house on a This was a Saturday.
Speaker 1: Night, and I remember sitting there and the high just came over me. I'm waiting on my food, and you know my thing with food, Like I remember my my dude who was took our joint. He had a jail tat named tap Daddy. And when I saw the jail tat, I knew, not for real, I'm not making this shit up, dude, And so I knew then.
Speaker 3: You know, that was one for my hypothesis that I knew the food was gonna be great because fell In cook the best food, right. I mean, like, if it ain't at least Prodigies shout out the Prodigies prison book.
Speaker 1: Yo, No, if you ain't got at least two feelings in your if you ain't got at least two felons in.
Speaker 3: Your restaurant, the food is gonna be shitty.
Speaker 1: And if you don't have at least one person to a black family that has a black disease just cooking. Like if your grandma ain't got the speedbag on her arm, I don't want her dinner.
Speaker 3: I don't want her feeling. It's not gonna be good. No, it's.
Speaker 1: Person with a arms with black disease, such as the gallay bag is not a disease.
Speaker 6: It's just like what happens to women when they it's called wings, you know.
Speaker 3: Noah, it's it's I mean it's wings in it. Yeah, chicken wings. You got damn mini.
Speaker 1: So no bag is way better than come on, you need this, you got the speed bag. But anyway, So anyway, so it's it's felling cooking my chicken and eggs.
Speaker 3: I know she's gonna be amazing. So I'm sitting here and the high is just keeping coming down on me.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's Saturday night and the police is out there, and the girl ontle bit. By the time she so got damn high, she didnet fell asleep. She nodding off like the goddamn dope fiend lean looking like bubbles from the wine shit.
Speaker 8: So so I'm just like, yo, this is bad. So I tell her to just go get in the cars. They just go get in the car and just just go to sleep. So the police is out there cause they cause, you know, it's like the fucking club. So man, I finally get the food and I'm walking out and the police is looking at me. I'm just like, dude, I'm looking at a duy.
Speaker 3: Do it in the place truck. And I had to put the key in my car. This was before.
Speaker 1: This was like when I was a really broke nigga, and like I didn't have the remote control open key I had. I had the whole school, like you gotta get the clan, enjoy the Latin turn.
Speaker 3: Man. That was the most concentrated shit I had to do about life.
Speaker 7: And I got it.
Speaker 8: And you know, I remember driving home and man, the road started goddamn zig zaggy man, and I just said to myself, I was like, God, if you let me get home, I will never get this high again.
Speaker 3: And I made it home and I busted down them chicken and eggs and I never busted down. I never got that high again. That was it, man, So wow, that was it. I got contact from.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that coffee tall looks.
Speaker 11: You should just move to walking distance from the wildflouse then you can get high.
Speaker 3: Hey.
Speaker 1: Research every time I go there, I try to figure out, uh, because I know there's they claim that there's a million plus combinations of the hash browns.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you can get them scattered some other covered chunk cap you can get them with chili.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying. I I mean I know the menu pretty well. No, but there's a scientific there's a scientific number combination that says that, uh, it's one mill it's one million plus different conferent combinations. Yeah, I get everything my mind. Oh you what you get on yours? What on your cheese? And everything to I go full throttle. Oh damn, but I only do like a quarter of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know I'm one of those like I'm in the the god the am I about to make this reference the Ron Pearlman face in my life? Oh he orders everything and this does a little bit of each thing and then leaves, which it's that's probably the worst thing I could say, like because there's this unspoken rule that we can't waste.
Speaker 8: Food and then but then but see wilfle House they done upgraded a formula bro. So now wait what they done upgrade at the formula They messed with it.
Speaker 1: Nah they brother, So now what they used to they used to just have the regular waffles, just the regular I got the oh, but now they got the peaking.
Speaker 3: But now they got the new joint they do. They'll do you a strawberry waffer.
Speaker 8: They put a little strawberry like little something some cancer crossing ship they put in there and they just cook it up and it tastes fucking amazing.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, oh boy, Wow, we really do need to go to wilf House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that would be after that cancer comment. We really need to go. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was that.
Speaker 8: Did you see that story about the girls that was got the waffle house? I don't think they got to shut down. They were fired the girls that was doing hair in the white house. Wait what this is true? There was a did you get your hair died? Well they were doing it. It was like it was somewhere in Atlanta. I want to say a shot shot they were doing shot totally shot. They were doing hair, washing hair in the waffle house.
Speaker 6: There are so many world Star videos a by waffle house fights.
Speaker 10: It's a lot, a lot's go down because it's twenty four hours.
Speaker 3: It's twenty four hours. But I got a imagine they only make I'm sure, like their.
Speaker 8: Profit margins are the highest from the hours of like twelve midnight to like three four in the morning, like eating waffle house. Much like you wonder about the guy that goes to the strip club during the day.
Speaker 3: I'm just thinking.
Speaker 1: I'm just thinking, dude, because like if you go eating waffle House during the day, like for you, a goddamn savage.
Speaker 3: Wait is more for the day wait time time out, really, I mean.
Speaker 1: Because because for us, like when we was coming up, waffle House was club. It was after the club. Food, it was after the club. It's late night you go, and that's what it is now. I will say during the morning, like if morning I'm with you, we would we would hit it. Sometimes when I land, before I go to the hotel, I go to waffle House like I eat daytime.
Speaker 6: You go to the strip club in a daytime too, though, So.
Speaker 3: No I don't.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So let's let's dial back via the food talk a bit here, guys, and get a little serious.
Speaker 3: At least in line with our guest today who is a comedian. I feel it's probably one of the more, probably one of the most unique storytellers in comedy, because his level of comedy isn't just like why did the Chicken across the Road? Like?
Speaker 1: It's not just like set up punchline, set up punchline like. He tells these stories of his life and they're the most hilarious.
Speaker 3: Thing ever, except they're all like real.
Speaker 1: They're the most painful, realist, most insecure, most pie in the face, you know, self deprecating stories I've ever heard. But the way he delivers it makes it so relatable, makes him so likable.
Speaker 3: And he's made two.
Speaker 1: Movies that I really feel that are important, I guess for artists to like and people that aren't into art.
Speaker 3: They speak to all areas of life.
Speaker 1: I'm speaking of a Sleepwalk with Me and I'm speaking of his newest film, Don't Think Twice. And our guest is Mike Verbiglia, and he's coming up in the next segment. Ladies and gentlemen, please give it up for Mike Burbiglia.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: Thank you, guys, Welcome to Quest Love Supres. How's it going.
Speaker 7: I'm good, I'm good. I'm uh, I'm I'm psyched that you like the movie. And I was just I was talking to Bill before him because he I ran into him a few months ago, and I was telling him about the movie.
Speaker 3: Not to be confused with boss Ball, okay, and.
Speaker 7: I ran into you at I'm forgetting the name of the place Barrell Yeah and uh. And he was in a group for many years.
Speaker 2: I was in a group. I still I guess. I still am in a group called Freestyle of Supreme sounds a lot like Quest Surprises a Bound, So I played it. I played and still play. I guess in a hip hop improv comedy group where we get suggestions from the audience to make up hip hop tunes. And the people who are in the group are the people that went on sort of to create Hamilton the musical. They are Lynn Miranda and Chris Jackson and Dove Diggs and all the guys who are in that are in the same group. And Mike reminded me that we were at the same Aspen Comedy Festival together once many.
Speaker 7: Was that a Battle of the no I was just doing stand up and these guys were doing freestyle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't know each other, but.
Speaker 7: Then a few months ago I ran into these guys because I did something with Lynn Miranda a couple of years ago, and I was like, hey, I didn't know Bill. I was like, hey, Lynn, I think you'll like this movie I made. It's probably a little bit like your life. Little did I know that it was, and Bill was part of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I watched the movie today, Don't Think Twice an incredible film and.
Speaker 4: Was and.
Speaker 2: That's a whole lot like my life straight up.
Speaker 7: And what a meir. You and I were texting last night. Who do you relate to most in the movie?
Speaker 1: I mean, in the beginning, I thought I was Jack, but then I thought then I thought maybe I was your character, Miles. Yeah, because what I don't want to be is I don't want to be the character that doesn't realize that the party's over and the lights are out.
Speaker 3: Can we kind of give them an overview?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah. So the gist of it is like, it's a movie about a bunch of best friends in like an improv comedy group, and they've been together for years and then one of them gets a chance to be on like a Saturday night Live type of show, and the rest of them don't. And it's about That's why we're talking about in relation to breakups, because it's what happens when not everybody makes it in the same way like Michael, like Michael Jackson for example, Wait side.
Speaker 1: Note, because I'm gonna I'm gonna interrupt with small, meaningless questions here, all right? Similar to Nike's font, Yeah, does does Broadway Video own that Weekend Live?
Speaker 3: Funt?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: They don't know that font? That fun?
Speaker 3: How did you guys master that fund? Because that was fun impressive that font.
Speaker 7: We went through fonts and were like, yeah, that's similar to sarent.
Speaker 9: Live, but it's not the same, okay, And it's funny you asked that question because I was wondering the same thing while I was watching.
Speaker 3: Well you know what. You were like, Yo, y'all nail this perfectly?
Speaker 7: And who was I was over its as Myers one day, like when I was in prep for the movie and we're doing all the production design stuff. Were're trying to make it look like SARENT live. And I was walking in to the hallways he you know, Causeth Myers is literally down the hall from SNL. I was walking in just like taking photos with my phone and the security guard. I was like, hey, get out, you can't take photos, and I was like, I got what I need?
Speaker 3: And who was your fake dom Pardo? That was me?
Speaker 7: I did you were the Yeah? But like, but what's funny about it is and that's what I don't mind talking about. It's like if if at Saren life suit us, it would be literally the best thing that could have ever happen. It's like when Al Frankin wrote that movie, that book about fox News, the lying Liars, lies in the lying liars that tell them, and then fox News sued him, and before that it wasn't on the bestseller list, and then because of that it ended up on the best So anyway, I'm hoping it's a hit.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I guess for those that have yet to see it, I really feel like this could be my big fat Greek wedding tortoise in the hair success story, little train that could movie. I hope so, because this is everyone's story and for me, the bottom line, I'm obsessed with why people clearly.
Speaker 3: Choose to ruin a good thing?
Speaker 1: Why do they self sabotage like I can name about and I'm probably one of them. I can name at least thirty people in my life that kind of have. If you're familiar with SNL trivia, you know the Final Jeopardy where Trebek and Sean Connery are kind of going at each other, and you know, Final Jeopardy is like the answer is to All you have to say is the answers to and then the next thing, you know, the best analogy right, and then they will say.
Speaker 3: Like Michigan, that's the answer for me.
Speaker 1: The moment where I realized that this wasn't the average film was was when uh Jie Gillian's character clearly didn't go, you know, to the audition to become a star, which he clearly could have been one.
Speaker 3: And I mean, how.
Speaker 1: How did you even have the insight to go into that psychological level where to know that happens.
Speaker 7: I feel like I know a lot of people who've done that over the years, who have like who you're like, you know how there's always the people you're like, yeah, Eddie Murphy's good, but the real guy was always like the real guy was this other dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah. For every Jordan on the court, there's like seven other and one that could have. Yeah.
Speaker 8: That was the thing that was like the joke was, how did Eddie Murphy end up on Saturday Night Live? And because Charlie Burnett couldn't read.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's the actual guy I never named the a street performer.
Speaker 8: He was a street performer in DC. And he's the guy who pretty much kind of who Chappelle used to watch. And he's in DC Cab. I don't know if you've seen, I've seen he's in.
Speaker 3: He was like that.
Speaker 8: He's one of the guys DC Cab. But like, I mean, drugs everything. But he was a street performer. He died in like late eighties, don't want to say, but he was like the man, he was the dude, but he couldn't read.
Speaker 3: Wow, so you just sabotaged it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's I mean, there's a million guys of the seller like that. You guys you see all the time, literally the funny student. You're like, how come that person is not the most famous comic.
Speaker 1: This is what I learned about at least my five years of kind of being the New Yorker and and scoping the comedy scene, which I do obsessively more than musicians and more than chefs, Like comedians are a strange, strange animal I'm now realizing that humor is used as a means to deflect what the real problem is going inside. And I didn't realize that until I started hanging out at the cellar regularly. And there's the time period where, like I started working for Schumer, she kind.
Speaker 3: Of showed me the ropes. And the thing was, it was at the very beginning of her slow rise.
Speaker 1: By that point, she was just doing you know, her Comedy Central specials, and the show wasn't even thought about then. Once the show started to develop, and then you know, I would ask her like obsessively, like, Okay, so do you feel a pressure now?
Speaker 3: Do you feel like you have to bring everyone with you? Do you feel as though like you know, yeah?
Speaker 7: And she kind of has.
Speaker 3: I'm amazing.
Speaker 7: It's ridiculous. People she puts on her show. We're in the comedy scene.
Speaker 3: She's she's like a more organized allan Iverson.
Speaker 7: Oh wow, how she does Amy Schumer like a more organized.
Speaker 1: Because okay, as a Philadelphian and as the season ticket holder to the Sixers, you know, especially during the period of allan ivers I've never seen someone like literally carry the weight of his family behind that be cousins and like he would have cousins in the third tier, extended friends in the second tier, family members in the first year, like and that's when I learned.
Speaker 3: Like, oh no, I never want to be the person that.
Speaker 1: Has to like you can't take them all with you, and so you either are gonna have the crew of the posse that you have to take care of, or you roll by yourself. Now I personally choose to roll by myself, to the chagrine of a lot of people in my life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it's it's you know, damned if you do, damn it if you don't. But you know, I.
Speaker 1: Can't figure out how like at the Comedy Celler, at least can you explain what the what that environment is like there?
Speaker 7: When I started at the Cellar, it was in like two thousand and two, and it actually was I think much even tougher then, Like it was like Colin Quinn. It was around the time Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn was on Comedy Central. So it was like Colin Quinn and Nick DePaolo, Greg Giraldo and Patrese, who was like do you know Patrise, I mean like Pres O'Neill's you know, one of the.
Speaker 3: Greats and like.
Speaker 7: Just I mean, those guys were tough on each other. Like Patrice could make you want to crawl under a ross. No, he used to how he addressed you, big head, Leah, you got the biggest head that literally he would do that for a half hour. He was he was a mean guy. But but yeah, I know. So there's a lot of like survival and and people going at each other. And I was, I mean, I never thrived in that environment. I mean, I I still play there. I love the Cellar, but like I never you know, I never got into that culture.
Speaker 1: So I'm saying I'm noticing in at least the New York comedy world, there's three avenues you can choose uh kind of above uh twenty third Street, like sort of like to midtown Manhattan. I don't know if like what you would call that area, but that's where like more mainstream comedy is. And Okay, I don't know if people necessarily aspire to be there. I would think that those that kind of thrive at that.
Speaker 3: Particular strip could also play Vegas.
Speaker 7: The Carolines.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you would call like a David Brenner type or that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: But then over in Brooklyn, Yeah, I'm discovering little Field Union Hall, alternative house.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of the snobby millennials. And then there's that's.
Speaker 7: What I like. But it's I like to performing there. But it's just like performing for your friends. So you're doing stand up.
Speaker 3: There's no there's no challenge, no challenge to it at all.
Speaker 7: It's it's like people like minded people. And that's why I like The Seller is great because it's like a lot of tourists, it's people from all over the place. It's just like it's it's actually hard to kill at the Seller. Really, it's pretty hard unless you're really feeling like if you're Schumer or you're as He's like you're famous and people are psyched that you're there.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 1: Do you think people come there to sort of stargaze and I think that's yeah, there's a lot of just hoping for that night that Louis.
Speaker 3: Yeah, does that also?
Speaker 1: Does that think for a bad set for you? Like has someone ever just butted in line, like oh, Eddie Murphy wants to do and then.
Speaker 3: Like you have to go on afterwards or.
Speaker 7: I remember I was on stage once for two minutes and I got the light and I'm like, what the fuck. I look over and it's Robin Williams.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, when Patch Adams want to get on, we got missed out for coming up.
Speaker 3: You gotta just cut that short.
Speaker 7: I was so mad, though I was good, you know, it's twenty five or whatever. I had an attitude. I thought I was better than I was. I was like, fuck, Robin Williams, who's that?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 8: Walked off one of the things with your movie Man another movie I kind of saw parallel, So I don't know if you saw it inside.
Speaker 7: Lewin Davis, Oh yeah, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 8: It very much reminded me of that, just in the sense of you have a person where you just realize what do you do with the realization that it's just not gonna happen, and you just have those characters. It's just like, look, dude, I know you thought you were that guy, but you're not that fucking guy. Have you ever felt like that?
Speaker 3: I mean, first, I think you're very funny. Why did you make yourself that character? Yeah?
Speaker 2: For real?
Speaker 3: Not for real, because in my head I thought you were gonna be the chosen one.
Speaker 7: I thought no, and I my buddy, you know, your Matakone. Yeah, he's a buddy who wrote for us and l for a lot of years, and he gave notes in the script and he's a friend of mine, and he he was like, you gotta play Jack. And I was like, you gotta play Keegan's character. And I was like, no, No, I'm not talented enough to play You don't understand, like you need somebody who is so good that they're undeniable and on the screen you're like, when you're watching, you're like, oh, it's gotta be him, because that's the guy who would get it, because Keagan would have gotten it had he not gone to Mad TV. You got asked to do Mad TV before US, and no, Wow, So then what good for his life? Because then that's where he met Jordan Peel and they made one of the greatest sketch comedy shows.
Speaker 3: Of all time, I think, but talk about and Michael Key.
Speaker 7: Yeah, kee and Michael Key. But uh but yeah. So that's why I played Miles, which is the bitter guy, which is I don't I'm not like Miles.
Speaker 3: But I also I'm.
Speaker 7: Pretty good at wearing bitterness.
Speaker 3: You're petty.
Speaker 7: I just I don't know if I'm I don't know if I'm petty, but like when I do it, people believe it.
Speaker 3: We're petty, all right? This is the petty hour question of Supreme. Yeah, we're here with Mike Big. Is pettiness a positive character trait? I don't think so.
Speaker 1: Man, I realized it's wrong, but I can I wear proud like like a like a scarlet letter that I'm happy about.
Speaker 7: But you're such a son of a bitch if you're petty, because there's so many people who are jealous of you, and so.
Speaker 1: I want to be like everybody. But I think it's relative. The grass is greener on the other side. Yeah, I mean, because and that was the thing I like watching the movie. I didn't want to say. I mean, I think we could preto much tell people what happened. I mean we won't.
Speaker 8: I wouldn't do it, but it's still I think we wouldn't be spoiling anything because the way the story is told, it's I mean, to me, the magic was in the way you told the story, not necessarily in just the details themselves. But the thing is, if we're too self aware of what character we are, like it's sex in the city, and I feel like.
Speaker 3: I feel like we're all miles.
Speaker 1: It's been different parts. I feel like I've been that guy. I've been every person at different points in my career. I've been I've been every character in that movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I feel we're so lucky.
Speaker 6: I can't wait to be Jack, like I was watching that movie, like, I know everybody.
Speaker 9: Struggle, but yet my Jack moments may have not been live moments, but even moments where you definitely want more so than right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, Well, can I get personal with your situations? No cut card over here, baby, let's go all right.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm just saying that who whose character did you relate to? I could relate to all of them when you watch the film. Did you see your own group in this situation?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? Okay.
Speaker 8: There were definitely moments and not necessarily in the group between me, Pool and Ninth, you know, for you know, just to give them back story.
Speaker 3: I was in a group called Little Brother.
Speaker 1: A very influential group that kind of you know, a lot of the today's mega you know, mega winners in the hip hop game always referred to as like one of their favorite groups.
Speaker 3: Definitely one of my favorite groups.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that's why he's here because we love the ship out a little brother when he came out and.
Speaker 3: So thank you man. So the group was me.
Speaker 8: I was an EMC, my partner Big Pool, and I produced a ninth Wonder who you know went on to produce like major artists jay Z, Beyonce. Uh, I mean, just you know do it this really big records. And so for me, when me and Poo first started, we had the conversation that listen, if you study hip hop, you know the producer always goes on to do more, and you want that to happen.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: You know your man is talented. You want him to go on and go and do and and go forth. So between me and him, it was cool when when Knife got the jay Z Look, we came up here the baseline, met jay Z. I mean that was surreal, you know what I'm saying because I remember being.
Speaker 1: In the dorm with that dude. You came up the baseline. Yeah, yeah, because we mixed the Miser Show on Baseline.
Speaker 3: Wow, we met and we like that.
Speaker 8: One day we met Jay he was just there and he played us threats from the Black album and so yeah, man, So for me to see that journey of me and Knife being in the dorm together and him looking at like, you know, the Source and us him looking at you know, executive Bruce by DJ Premier, and I'm saying, like, yo, man, one day I'm gonna have that executive producer ninth wander Like that's gonna be me to see him go from that to you know, jay Z. That was amazing to me, and I wasn't I couldn't have been happier for him. Where the disconnect was was in a lot of people in our camp that really felt like we left them behind, you know what I'm saying, and felt that, Okay, well the Knife, if you did it with Jay, why didn't you do it for me and this person, this person, this person, this person, And it's kind of like what you were saying, you know, you can't save everybody. And so for me, my moment where I kind of felt that Jack moment was then when Minstrel Show, when we got you know, four and a half mics in the source.
Speaker 3: At the time, the source was still kind of.
Speaker 1: Right now, four and a half mice is four and a half mic, Yeah, yeah, you know, you got four and a half mics, and so which was the perfect five was what you could get, but it was a really reputable rating. So that was my I guess my jack moment where I had my uh the girl that left the Samantha Samantha, she's the one that didn't go to.
Speaker 8: Gill Okay where I had my gillion moment and not necessarily a self sabotaged moment, but just where you know, the scene where she was like, yo, I'm good in the world. You know, that was kind of when Drake happened, because that was when everybody was like, yo, hey, you Drake is the dude that you influenced. He big, Drake was biging me up. Oh take my favorite rapper and all this shit. And it was just like people were like, yo, man, you could come and you could do him, and you need to come for Drake. He stole your styliness. And I was just like, dude, listen, Oh they.
Speaker 3: Want you to come fromhim. Oh my god, are you serious? Dude?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: I thought, see, I know battling, No, I know, battling is a thing in hip hop, but I'm always like, that's pity that would be I thought like it was a thing of like work with Drake, it was. It was work with dra It started as like work with Drake, but then there's always that small candure of people that.
Speaker 3: Are like, nah, you need to come and we want you to you know, we want you to do it because you could be the man.
Speaker 8: And so my thing was just like, look, man, kind of like with that character, I'm good where I am if I My whole theory is like, look, if you're gonna pull a coupe and try to throw over the government, right, Okay, if you're gonna replace throw that dude out, then the government that you put in place needs to be as good or better than the government you out did.
Speaker 3: Else the people gonna come for your fucking head next, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So my thing is like, look, dude, I'm not done to quote unquote come for uh you know, Drake or whoever, because I'm not gonna.
Speaker 3: Serve his audience the way that he is.
Speaker 1: I'm not about to hop on fifty eleven goddamn remixes with the hot drug dealer nigga of the moment do this and do the audun like and I'm not knocking that, but I ain't gonna do that shit. Man at thirty six years old, nigga.
Speaker 3: You serious. I really had no clue.
Speaker 1: I like, maybe you do a record like Kanye did this record with y'all. Yeah, we did a record like way back Yeah, I mean, and we may do one in the future.
Speaker 3: I don't know. You did a record with Drake? We did we had back in the day.
Speaker 1: We did a record with him like that would be back in the I guess it betray your movie. It would be the equivalent of we did Sleep on Right to Sleep Right, but then once the ship really.
Speaker 3: Popped, we didn't, you know, do nothing Post Oranges the.
Speaker 2: New Black.
Speaker 3: Big temp did he He was the new phone? Who is phone? What's good? Man?
Speaker 2: My fault?
Speaker 3: So now that was my moment. Man, I it really hit a chord with me.
Speaker 8: So for me, I'm just in a place whereas many with with I really related to that character Gillion, because I think she and I wanted to ask you about that man, Because to me, I didn't see it as sabotaged by her not going I talked I would again. I looked at it as a person knowing their own limitations and just knowing, like you know what, I know I could do this, but if I do this, I'm gonna suck it up, so let me just not like, I don't have it in me to do this.
Speaker 3: That was that was my interpretation of it.
Speaker 6: Or she just didn't want it. She didn't want it.
Speaker 7: I think she didn't.
Speaker 6: She just didn't want it.
Speaker 10: She didn't She felt like it was a sellout moment. She said about like she was like compromising.
Speaker 3: Sound good on this, lily Pad, Like I'm good on this, lily Pad. I'm really straight.
Speaker 6: I know you don't like this.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying it's selling out real. Well, I don't think selling out is real.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's no more. I don't think it exists. Oh if y'all could just see no.
Speaker 1: Wait, wait, wait, wait wait, because right now we're on radio, so no one can see. I've never collectively see. I've never collectively seen like all these teeth look at me like scratching their head. Is selling out real?
Speaker 7: I think it is, y I think it is.
Speaker 3: I think it is, But I don't think it.
Speaker 9: I mean, back in the eighties and the nineties, when you know, no Cell was this whole big thing real, Yeah, when that whole thing was around, it was it was. It was a different kind of situation because I don't even know why I'm talking to I don't know where I'm.
Speaker 3: Going with this.
Speaker 1: No, but no opportunities weren't there the opportunities like ll like LL he would say, like, you know, back in the day, we would say, yo, fucking doing the movies and fucking doing this because we never thought it was possible to.
Speaker 3: But then happened exactly, and then he in the house, so you know what I mean, Like it's in the house. This is all right. Look, no, I don't be out either.
Speaker 1: But let's let's take a cat like Miles Davis, who has constantly made a career out of, uh building a house and burning it down. Okay, I mean, he's totally defined what jazz music is at least four or five times, which is impossible, Like some people are lucky to change music once, let alone five times. But then there was a point where, uh, when I was reading his book and just studying like a lot of his uh uh late sixties mid seventies performances, where he you know, turned this back to the audience, and you know, he had this sort of uh wishy washy uh kind of middle finger attitude towards his audience. And initially, of course, growing up, I thought, oh man, that's cool, like you know, like you know, he stands for something, he stands for principles. But there's a period where I just started reading so many psychology books and whatever, and then I realized, like.
Speaker 3: Uh, you're scared of rejection. So it's like me before you can Yeah, I'm yeah, I'm gonna reject you first before years like eight Mile the fucking Bunny Rabbit Ship. Yeah. And I don't I don't. I think that that the idea of I'm not saying that integrity is not real.
Speaker 1: But if we were really artists, artists with the Athian or you know, slash, if we were all, we all be performing free on the streets.
Speaker 3: Like all of us in this room are business people, whether we admit it.
Speaker 6: Or no, to be able to get the energy to perform.
Speaker 3: So I think that I don't know, I just I don't believe in selling out.
Speaker 1: I'm not using that this excuse like okay, well, whoever has the next big check, I'm there for it.
Speaker 10: Like I.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess I turned down the biggest check of my life like two weeks ago because.
Speaker 3: I didn't believe in what I was being paid to you.
Speaker 1: I guess you got to understand the difference, right, It's like there's selling out and cashing in, you know what I mean. It's like, I'm not selling out, I'm cashing in. So it's like to me, cashing in is like, look, if I'm questlove or if I'm unpaid bill, if I got if y'all motherfuckers is willing to give me a check to do what it is I already do that I love doing.
Speaker 7: That's you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: It's like I'm getting paid for what the fuck I do, But if you ask me to change up the way I do exactly. For instance, for example, like Premiere, like me and you know, we were talking DJ Premiere legendary DJ one half gangst all that he had an opportunity.
Speaker 8: He was telling me he had an opportunity to do the Grammys with Janet. This is back in the nineties.
Speaker 3: Yeah together again. Yeah, she had.
Speaker 1: He had the chance to perform on it with her. But they wanted him to act like he was DJing.
Speaker 3: It wasn't live. They wanted to pull a fat boy slim yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: They wanted him to be fucking lip DJ in so she wanted the credibility factor. Yeah, she wanted the credibility, but he was like, but she wanted you know, I mean it's pop so everything is synchronized to the minute.
Speaker 3: And he was trying to tell her like, look, I can do it live. This is what I do.
Speaker 8: I'm not gonna suck up, and she was just like, look, I can't leave it a chance. So he was walked away from the gig. So to me, like I would I would have did it because you.
Speaker 7: Do that.
Speaker 6: I'll do it now.
Speaker 3: I've done soul training, I've done won't you. But I think, but I think with you man on next week's show.
Speaker 1: I think with you man, you like twenty thirty years in the game, so your creat is solidified.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 1: But that's that's overthinking the situation. And that's the number one thing that self saboteurs do. They overthink. If you knew the amount of hours I've wound up in the hospital myself trying to take care of other saboteurs.
Speaker 3: No, I'm no, not not bullshitting you. The amount of talking them off the lege.
Speaker 1: I say, my number one quote for if there was some sort of like tally of all a mere quotes for the year.
Speaker 3: I'm certain that, dude, you're overthinking it.
Speaker 1: I have to say that so many times to people just to get them down to the first floor again, because once they it inside their head, it's no escape because the thing is okay, let's let's take premium situation.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: Who would be the judge and a jury that would say, oh my yo, Bill Premiere, it's not DJing Live. But again, I'm but this is ninety this is no he worked. He did that Janet remix?
Speaker 9: Uh was it.
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: Ticket? No? No, no, no, no, this is before. I don't want to I don't want to be history or whatever.
Speaker 1: It was, like, okay, the earlier, the earlier Janet, the even more I would have been like, oh, finally, like we made it.
Speaker 3: Like I would have cheered that one of us got in, you know, not like oh.
Speaker 1: He's selling out because he's not plugged in, like it's it's overthinking.
Speaker 6: It record so he already made it.
Speaker 1: But no, no, no, even I'm just saying that whatever the situation, if he produced her, didn't produce her, or whatever, the whole the whole point of it was that she wanted I mean, okay, she was drinking from his milkshake.
Speaker 3: She wanted some of that street cred and I drink your milkshake. Yeah, I'm just a straw yo, wait it up.
Speaker 1: Side note, side note, I cannot wait. I cannot wait till bunb is a guest on this show. So I can see these two out criteria and collection each other of movie trivia. Yeah, I think that's overthinking it.
Speaker 3: And a lot of our are artists are artists, they kind of just they. But you gotta have a line though, I mean, I think like because everyone has a code. Yeah, you gotta have a cold man.
Speaker 8: And so my thing is just like again, cashing out versus cashing in versus selling out to me is only a out move if you do something that is against your principles. You know what I'm saying. That's against your core principles, whatever they may be. You know what I'm saying. So you know I will not betray my heart to quote you know a famous.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, made this damn room. Oh what that is?
Speaker 1: It's quashed up Suprema on Pandora And we're here with our guest, comedian Mike brobiglia Uh talking about his latest movie don't think twice his amazing movie.
Speaker 7: By the way, can I say the tweet that has.
Speaker 1: Like yes, so right now Mike has discovered Afante's welcome.
Speaker 3: Can you just read like twenty of his KI. A lot of it is promo because I promote my record.
Speaker 7: Know no, but I like this promo. But I like it. My sophomore solo album, No News Is Good News will drop at the top of twenty seventeen. My workload this year is too hectic and I want to get it right. And I was like, oh, that's really nice. He's like leveling with his fans and he's like being on I don't know, it's like it's anti promotional because you're actually opening up and being like, I'm just a person. I'm trying my best.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I gotta keep it real with him. You want to get in front of you, just go down a few tweets that just scroll scroll.
Speaker 3: I mean I've been chilling lately.
Speaker 1: I've been you know, if you'd caught me, like, oh nine ten took a load when I was really going hard.
Speaker 3: Oh man, I'm a change man. I'm covered in the blood of Jesus.
Speaker 7: Who's like the who's like the Samantha, who's the gillions character in music? Who's who's like the greatest but never floaded live?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Ah, man, you're gonna make me call uh ah, all right, just just go to my go to my discocks page. Just go to my discocks page. And let's just assume that no, let's pick a number and maybe ninety. Of anyone I've ever worked with, I'll say this, with the exception of jay Z. Jay Z was probably one of the rare cats that, like, it was a pleasure to work with them. That's why I worked with him, not because like I saw like, oh a payday or finally like a way out of this crab barrel. You know, it's just that, you know the amount of times I've had to Jedi mind trick someone, like say, I'm working on a song with somebody and I feel as though, you know, a particular like the one is where this particular thing is. Like battling over where the one is is like one of my main arguments with people. So it's to the point where I'll just naturally go to another count or whatever, just so that they'll, you know, they'll contrary and by nature will just go to the opposite place until they which is where you want them to be anyway, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: With me, I don't want to hear them. Literally.
Speaker 1: My theory is that if the crash symbol and the kick go at the same time, that's that's the beginning of the sentence.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, all right. Now here's the thing though, I feel like we kind of tarantinoed you in this situation.
Speaker 1: I kind of wanted to build up to this movie, but it was so powerful. Yeah, no, man, serious, I had to talk about it. Yeah, Reglar, I kind of want to work backwards because even before don't think twice sleep walk with me. Yeah, when I saw it, even then, I thought like, oh man, this is awesome my life story like because you never, at least with hip hop, especially after nineteen ninety seven and music in general, there's this dividing line between the winners and the losers, where winners are celebrated.
Speaker 3: And the losers are forgotten about or never celebrated.
Speaker 1: To me, it was always good to see the working man, the blue collar working man. And you know in that film, you drive yourself.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I drive my mom's station wagon around.
Speaker 1: To tell us all the process of driving to your own gigs the especially tell me about the comedy condo.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can tell you I stayed.
Speaker 3: So every comedian stays in the comedy condo. Yeah.
Speaker 7: So the comedy condo usually means you'll have a comedy club in a town and like Nashville, Tennessee, and let's say and like Zany's Comedy Club of not making up that name. That's a real club in Nationale. It's pretty good. It's a really good club actually, And then the owner will be like, well, it's less expensive. If you can even imagine this, it's less expensive to buy a condo to have all the comedians stay in that condo. Then it would be to put them up in hotels. So there'll be the club and then to be like the comedy condo. And it's like it's always terrible. It's always like them some war stories.
Speaker 12: Man, No, just like you just end up in I don't know, like like sheets are horrible or yeah, you know, it's like yeah show and is it you by yourself or like.
Speaker 7: No, you're with like two other comics usually, so you're with like the the Nature Act or the in the MC and then uh yeah, I mean some of them, you know, some of them, You don't, I don't know, like I. What happened was is I was working the door at the DC Improv when I was in college. That's sort of how I broke in. And the first guy I ever opened for was Chappelle. Actually, Okay, and.
Speaker 3: So it's really true that he was fourteen.
Speaker 7: Fifteen, Yeah, so he was he was headlining that club. I was nineteen. He was like twenty three, twenty four. Half Baked was about to come out.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 7: What was fascinating about meeting Chappelle when he was that young is that he was and I I learned this trick from him because I do it now, Like people come up to me now and they're like, hey, I know you're from blah blah blah, and I'm like, I have a movie out right now. It's called Don't Think Twice. It's down the Street blah blah blah. Because I remember saying to Dave Chappelle, like, how do you go to a stand up? How do you do this? How do you do this? And he was like he would give me. He gave me advice, and then he would be like, my movie Half Bake's coming out four weeks and it's at the EA Street theater down the street and get all your friends to go, like there.
Speaker 2: Is you know.
Speaker 7: Chappelle is like, he's like Sam in the movie, but he's like Jack also, Like, if you think about it, he's got both of those in him. He's got insane amounts of integrity. But he also he is he does makes a fuck lot of money. He's a real businessman. No, you're just gonna shake your head.
Speaker 3: Yeah right, No, I won't say Sam, and I won't say Jack.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's Miles think I won't. Oh, I'm sorry forgive me. You're right, Sam, he's like Sam. Right, he's definitely Sam.
Speaker 7: He is Sam because he walked away from all that money Comedy Central. Yes, but he is like Jack in the sense that he's ambitious. He's an ambitious person. You don't write like nineteen hours of stand up and not be an ambitious person.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't Again, it's the voices I wish the world knew, Like I was one of those guys that like and I don't. Lately, I've been on this kick, like on social media about how important meditation is. Yeah, and I mean, the only thing I could logically say is that you know, if you look at Russell Simmons.
Speaker 3: In the eighties looking like a fifty year old, but see.
Speaker 1: Him now in the early yoga the early aughts, still looking like he might be forty nine fifty and he's approaching sixties. I wish everyone really knew the addiction and the magic of what meditation is and how it can really truly save your life. You know, there's a group of people in my life that overthink a lot of things and.
Speaker 2: Kind of.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's I think it's just the fear of failure or the fear of fumbling in public, you know.
Speaker 1: And I know we live in a kind of a social media world and whatever, which everything is documented and no one wants to, you know, try the process in front of the world watching them. But I just feel as though crucial the way that the way that was explained to me in a way that I truly understood how meditation works is of course, they use the MacBook pro analogy, which they said, okay, so whenever you get the rainbow wheel that you hate and you have like ninety five kajillion windows open on Safari, you know, what's the thing you do and you're like, well, you either forced quit or you reset, and breathing literally.
Speaker 3: Deep breathing literally.
Speaker 1: Slows your mind down and it closes all those windows and you make better decisions in life with a clear head, like where I am right now, my life with spend literally with fourteen.
Speaker 3: I mean, Boss Bill will tell you what a nightmare I am.
Speaker 5: I can latch all that too.
Speaker 1: This is why a thing called Team of Mirror exists because logical thinking is out the window with me, because I'm busy trying to figure out, like, you know, which Wu Tang song is gonna go with which David Byrns song at next month's show, Like like that's the stuff I'm thinking about. So it's I don't know what two plus two equals, Like there's some information that I'm gonna lose, and there's some information I'll retain and use. But I'm just saying that I really think that meditation is the answer. But I know it just sounds so cosmic and weird. And the way that your eyebrows are looking at me, like I don't know if you're full of shit or not.
Speaker 6: No, no, I'm totally agreeing. I just know it's awesome.
Speaker 10: That's my natural face and it's also like it takes sometimes to get to a certain age to get to that point. But you're totally right, And I know I don't say that to you often.
Speaker 2: But can I ask you a question? Can I ask you a question about that? Because we were talking before about about being a businessman versus selling out whatever, I feel like you you are saying that you're thinking about what song is next and whatever, But you're also a very like in tune business person. So it's not like you're completely vacated the other part of this because you don't. You're not just like in your creative world where you have noes. You're like, I'm not at all.
Speaker 1: Look the further the furthest I go with business. At least, my business thought is to make sure that I generate enough business so that my mama don't move into my house.
Speaker 3: So wait, Mike, can we start? I wasn't I wasn't kidding when I said that we were tarantinoing this. No, No, I want to start with your comic.
Speaker 7: So when I started out, I was working the door the comedy DC Improv, and I was opening for guys like I said Chappelle and like Brian Reagan Mitch Hebburg, David Tael, guys have come in there, you.
Speaker 3: Knew Mitch Hepberg.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow.
Speaker 6: What was he like?
Speaker 3: Man Like, how do you come up with so many?
Speaker 7: Just one?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 7: You know what he said? He said, I think that I think is really wise, which is he thinks that people undervalue daydreaming.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 7: You know, like just just sitting there just like thinking, write and step down.
Speaker 3: That's the best life.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a lot of times i'd i'd see Mitch somewhere, like i'd I remember opening for him once in Dayton, Ohio, That's where I met him, and then like years later I run I ran into him like in Montreal at festival and he was just like lying backstage before the show, listening to music, and it's with his headphones and he's just like lying on his back and everybody else is like networking talking to each other, and he was just like daydreaming like that's what he was all about. So people would be like, where does his thoughts come from? He's just always kind of lost in his thoughts and he'd write down, you know, write down everything.
Speaker 3: Wow, I've never heard of a person that does these nonsensical just or just these random he was unbelievable all over the place, you know, these these thoughts. So literally he was just write down.
Speaker 7: Just oh yeah, he had just like his wife, Lynn has just no piles and piles of notebooks and uh. One of one of the things that isn't even uh in one of his jokes is in his notebook it says, do you believe in Gosh?
Speaker 3: Really? Wow?
Speaker 7: So they did like a posthumous album of his stuff and they call it do you Believe in Gosh?
Speaker 3: Don't?
Speaker 7: Isn't that great?
Speaker 3: Where is that notebook?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 7: She had all that up in their cab. They had a cabin in the woods and I think big Bear and that's where they lived, and and yes, she has all that stuff. It's pretty amazing. I when I met Mitch and Lynn it was Dayton, Ohio. Was at Jokers Comedy Club, which doesn't exist anymore, and I was trying to like socialize with them, and I mean I didn't know anybody. I was like, hey, do you guys want to go bowling? It is the dumbest thing. We were next to a bowling alley and they were like all right, and uh, And I was terrible. I'm nervous I'm like with my idol, Like I really idolized match, So you knew him by that point. I was just a fan of him, and then I was opening for him. It was like the most real thing in my life. And then I was just terrible of rolling like ones and zeros, and he said the funniest thing, he goes. I thought when you suggested that we go bowling, that you would be good at bowling.
Speaker 3: So so you working in DC. That was your introduction in comedy life. That was it? That was it. I mean, you weren't like the class clown at the age of ten, or I really wasn't.
Speaker 6: I was.
Speaker 7: I was always sort of like I always felt out of place. I always felt like when I when I would say the things that I was thinking about, people would just be like, Oh, that's that's what's weird, you know, and uh yeah. And then then but I I always thought I was funny, you know what I mean, Like it was one of those things like I think I'm very funny and they don't get it and that kind of thing. And then at a certain point I got on stage in college and and uh and it started to click. And in Sleepwalk with Me, I have that joke where I say, I'm my my girlfriend's starting to get the age where she's thinking about having kids, which is exciting because we're gonna have to break up. I don't want to have kids until I'm sure that nothing else good can happen in my life. And that was like the first time.
Speaker 3: That's the real that was.
Speaker 7: That was like the first time I made a joke on stage. And it's in Sleepwalk with Me. It's like this as a plot point, but like it was the first time where I said something was true and it was a joke at the same time. But that's comedy, right, and that's ended up being sort of what I what I do. But like that was the first time. Before that, I was like making jokes about cookie Monster, and then when I started making jokes about myself, it was better.
Speaker 1: But I'll say that your particular brand of comedy, especially at the time where I really became aware of you, you don't see many comedians on Broadway. Yeah, And so initially I was trying to figure out, well, okay, did you at least cut your teeth in Midtown? I was trying to figure out what side of the fence you were on? Were you alternative Brooklyn. Were you the varsity letter of the seller or were you pre Hacksville, of Midtown or uptown?
Speaker 7: I had, I did my tone in all of those three worlds and the road.
Speaker 3: Can you please all three?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I mean I think ultimately you have to. I mean it's a complex question, but you just have to be you, and it has to you have to get good enough that what you're doing can kind of work anywhere.
Speaker 1: Okay, So the joke has to work with the allt crowd, Yeah, with the I'm smarter than you Kyle's crowd of the village and the hack the drunk hacks that might.
Speaker 7: Yeah, although they're the hardest, of course. I mean that's why I like that. So I've never I early on, I would always get these gigs in Jersey because nobody wanted to do them right, nobody wanted to work in Jersey. Sorry Jersey, but.
Speaker 3: No, I was gonna ask you. Now, I know Chris Rock's regiment and he chooses Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard, right, And yeah, he listed like four like before he starts in HBO Special whatever. He told me the five clubs that he chooses, like Place down South, place where only old people go. He's like, if I can survive the scrutiny and the heart, Like, so, what is your exercise process of So.
Speaker 7: Mine would be like I go to the cellar, I go to the I go to the Brooklyn rooms to just like feel confident, to feel like, oh this work this.
Speaker 3: Do they embrace you or do they look like you might be a suit you might be.
Speaker 7: No in Brooklyn. In Brooklyn, they like me because they know I live in Brooklyn. I have a lot you know, there's a lot of local references or whatever. But and then and then I go to the cellar, go on the road to comedy clubs like I'll go to Charlie Goodnights and Raleigh or you know, Zanies and Nashville or that kind of thing, because ultimately, you want it to work everywhere, because you want it to be human, you know, the bottom line of everything is like hearing you guys talk about don't think twice and you're like, I'm Miles or I'm Jack or whatever, that's like gold for me. For me, that's like the biggest compliment. When you and I were texting last night and you're like this person in my life is like lindsay this person's like this, It's like, oh my god, it fucking worked, Like I can't believe it. It's working because you want it to be so human that people just see themselves in it. And that's what takes forever with stand up, that's what takes for It takes years with material, you know, to get it to that point.
Speaker 3: What takes it so long? Why is it takes so long to find that instead of I just.
Speaker 7: Think because you you have to do this thing of simultaneously having people see themselves in it and laugh and laughter is just like you either get something, get to laugh, or it doesn't.
Speaker 2: How's the stand up process versus the movie screenplay process different?
Speaker 7: Well, for me, it's similar because I I write a lot with the screenplay and then I would have friends over like this, like literally, like like ten of us in a room just sitting around would read the screenplay and I would get and I would ask people for notes afterwards. And so I did that about ten times with the movie.
Speaker 3: And then uh wait, so you focus groups like with ten people in the room.
Speaker 7: Yeah, isn't that the hardest thing in the World's It was really painful because afterwards you get assaulted with notes and people are just like, you know, Iron Glass, who was my producer ended up being my producer, was just like early on it was just like Mike like, it's just not a movie, like it just doesn't work. And I was like, no, it does, and he was like. I was like, it's like it's like The Big Chill set in the world of an improv theater. And he was like, well, the characters have to be more different from each other, because at that point the characters were too similar and the conflicts weren't there. And yeah, but but yeah, I mean everything I do is sort of I work I put in front of people.
Speaker 3: How long did it take? What, like from screenplay to shooting? How long did it take to do?
Speaker 7: Took about a year and a half writing it. I was in the middle of writing another film called My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, which is an adaptation of one of my shows.
Speaker 3: Wait, you're going to make that? I might? I might based on the sketch.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, it's true, that's not real. Yeah, it's true story the high school one. Yeah yeah, you can play that. You can play that track so I don't have to repeat it seriously. Yeah, yeah, that's true. The gist of it I'll tell you the gist of it is, when I was in high school, I went out with this girl and she was like and I was. I was like really into her, and then she was like, I have another boyfriend, but it's kind of ending and that kind of thing. This is going to be fine. And then and she invites me to meet her parents and I go, and I was like, oh, this is gonna be my big moment. I drive your parents house and we're hanging out, and then this other guy comes over and I'm realizing slowly that it's her other boyfriend, and like it's going okay, you know, I know, I don't think so. I think he just thought I was a friend in retrospect. I don't know for sure, but like and and.
Speaker 3: That was us, Yeah, like who's in? Why is it in the room?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 7: No that I'm sorry, No, that's from that's Abby's the character's name in Sleepwalk with Me, which is not her real name in real life. But uh but but yeah, no, that was this girl in high school and I was, man, I yeah, I was just really hung up on her, and I wanted to believe it was gonna work.
Speaker 3: Well. See the led Zeppelin slogan.
Speaker 7: No, No, that's different. That's different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, for some reason, like I've you've jumbled my love. But so if.
Speaker 1: Comedy, I don't know if that's a cliche, like comedy being time and tragedy.
Speaker 7: Yeah the other day. The other day I tweeted, comedy is tragedy plus fuck it.
Speaker 3: So how do you make a joke of you have an insomnia?
Speaker 2: And oh?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean that was weird. You Yeah, that's a true story. But you guys do you guys know the story. I have a sleep disorder where I where I sleepwalk and I jumped out of second story window at Yeah, I was on the road. This is like probably ten years ago now. I was at La Quinta in.
Speaker 3: And Walla Walla, Washington.
Speaker 7: Yeah, at Lakina in and uh, and I had a dream that there was a guided missile headed towards my room and I was like, I jumped out of bed. I was like, there's military personnel in my dream there. And I was like, what's the plan And they said, uh, the missile coordinates are set on you. And so I decided in my dream, as it turns out it was in my life as well, to jump out the window. So as to detonate outside the window for the sake of the platoon. So I jumped through the window like the Hulk and uh, and I landed on the front lawn. I got up and I kept running and I'm slowly realizing I'm on the front line of Laquina and Walla walla Washington in my underwear bleeding. I was like, oh no, but I swear to god, I was relieved in that moment that I hadn't been hit by the MESSI. I was like, that would have been a disaster. And so yeah, it ended up being sort of the baseline of what what my whole It was a one person show off Broadway, and then it ended up being my first movie. But yeah, and in Responsible, what you're saying, like, how am I comfortable talking about that for a while, while I wasn't, Like for a while, I was like, Okay, I'm gonna say this people. The first person told oh, that's a good question. Well, first person, I told us my wife, who at the time was my girlfriend, and I called you know, I called her in the middle of the night and I was just like, hey, you're you're not going to believe this from the hospital, right or no from it was weirdly from the from the front desk of Washington, no one. I was bleeding and everything, and uh, you know, I called her and I was like, hey, this is what happened. And I called my parents and and I went to the do I went to the hospital. I went to check myself in the emergency. I was like, I'm the Hulk. I'm the Hulk. I'm the They were like, no, you're You're Bruce Banner. I was a point taking there.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 7: And yeah, no, So it was, yeah, it was. It was a really weird thing to tell people, and I didn't really Actually it's funny you should say we were talking about Hebburg. Hepburg was one of the first people I told.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 7: Uh, it was at Caroline's where it was like a couple of months later, and it was Mitch Heburg and Lynn Chakraf were there and I just told him what had happened. And he you know, he has he you know, he had a lot of demons obviously, and uh, he had a you know, he had a lot of issues. And I think, you know, I think he understood it in some way, like I think that there was a there was a. It was the closest I ever felt to Mitch was when I explained to him that I jumped through a second third window.
Speaker 3: So it wasn't like, YO, the craziest last night.
Speaker 7: No, I mean I was really fucked up from it, because I mean I still am to this day, Like I'm still when I go to you know, when I go to bed at night, I sleep in a sleeping bag. I'm not making this up. I take medication, I sleep in a sleeping bag, and for a while there I was wearing mittens so I couldn't open the sleeping bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so so there is nothing like that that can I guess there's no cure.
Speaker 7: There's no cure. Yes, I mean you could take medication I take I take Cloud. But but and I go to my sleep my sleep doctor. But it's uh no, there's no cure. There's never gonna I'm gonna have to live with this for the rest of my life.
Speaker 3: Wait, it might be an intrusive if I asked, when was the last time you sleep walked?
Speaker 7: No, you're canna ask. It's probably like it happens a handful of times a year, so like six times a year or so. I'll have an incident like I remember a few years ago. It was like New Year's Eve, and I did all the things that trigger it, like I was eating red meat and I was drinking, and I was doing I was sleep deprived. We were out till like five am, and and then I had a dream that there was a This is a kind of abstract, but that there was a it was like an alien was in my throat. And when I woke up, I was trying to gorge myself in the bathroom. I was trying to like rip like something out of my throat. That's when I woke up and I and I had I was and I had lost my voice for the next couple of days, at least the next day or so. Yeah, it's it's it's not Youah No, it's tough. I mean it's it's definitely like one of those things where that's my you know, we all have our thing, and it's like that's my thing. I mean that it's pretty embarrassing for me, but I kind of broke through the like uncomfortability of discussing it and now I'm like, yeah, that's just what I that's what I am.
Speaker 3: But you say, like you do know at least kind of it's what will trigger it, So is there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean you you know, there's this great book if anyone has a sleep just or if anyone has bad sleep or whatever. This is a great book called The Promise of Sleep. And you know they basically say a few hours before bed, turn off your phone, turn off the internet, don't eat big meals, you know, like that kind of thing, don't watch TV news and of course, like that's all yeah, no, and so that's you know, you try not to do that stuff. So it has to be totally silent, that's yeah, And that's that's the hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sometimes I listen to like meditation podcasts and things like that.
Speaker 6: But what about like when you have a wild night with your wife, Like, is she just puts you to sleep, what do you do?
Speaker 7: Like, do you are automatically She'll no, no, She'll she'll like she'll like uh A lot of times she'll be she'll like wake me up and be like, hey, you should take your pill and that can and she'll stick me in my sleeping bag. She literally said, my wife calls it my pod. She'll be like she got she calls me, she goes me mo and it's Mike, uh not Jim. But uh, she'll go, she'll go, she'll go, Mo, it's time to get in your pod and she'll stick me in. It's yeah, it's uh wow, it's pretty embarrassing if she wants she got to unzip you zip me?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, why it's embarrassing.
Speaker 3: That's fascinating.
Speaker 5: I don't know why you why you'd be embarrassed. I'm really sleeping back part. That's embarrassing.
Speaker 7: Sleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's just one of those things where I all that people think I was crazy. You know, people think like, oh, this guy's just not all there. I mean, it's the kind of thing that in the eighteen hundreds, they'd put you in the hospital and they really throw away the key, you know what I mean. Like it's if you jumped. Think about that another era, you jump through a second story window picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm amazing.
Speaker 7: This guy's crazy. I mer I'm a phenomenal athlete. Look at me, people, I mean people aren't looking at me at home. So you can google image man, and you're.
Speaker 3: R B I G L I A B I R G. You are a Google nightmare. I didn't realize the R was the third letter of your last name. So for the longest I was looking up Oh God, like, yeah it was, it was. It took me time.
Speaker 1: This is a quest Love Supreme on Pandora here with the crew. So, Mike, what is what is your okay? I hate to ask this question because I also.
Speaker 3: Asked lim Manuel this question as well.
Speaker 1: Any kind of rolled his eyes in the air slightly irked. But have you started working on your next project? I only if if this becomes so gargantuan that it becomes a burden that you know, you could run the risk of writers black or whatever. So are you immediately pushing for the next project?
Speaker 7: I have like five well, I have like the three or four movie ideas that are kicking around in my head right now, and I like to kind of let them fight with each other, like like I don't I don't rush to write one of them. I just let them kind of play around in my head and then if one of them feels strong enough, then then that's when I'm gonna write it. But in the meantime, I'm just trying to live, you know, and you know, be a I have a fifteen month old daughter, and I'm just trying to hang out with my wife and my daughter and regret live thanks, just trying to live a bit.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: It's I feel like I've been I've been kind of hustling for like fifteen years, sixteen years, and I'm trying to.
Speaker 3: Like you're trying to take a break now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's an awesome looking hustled up.
Speaker 3: But wait, it's.
Speaker 1: Well, it's weird only because like I feel like, a you're about to ride to such an arrival place, like now's.
Speaker 3: Not the time to not.
Speaker 8: I think he's I think it well because I had a conversation about this with uha unpaid Bill uh Craig uh Base Carter Carter, Homie Carter, who's going to ride us?
Speaker 3: From how I met your mother?
Speaker 8: Me and and were talking earlier, and we had a conversation that was almost exactly what you're saying, Mike, in the sense that once you get to this point in your career, I think.
Speaker 3: In age rather particularly when you have a kid, yeah, you work smarter, not harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I think that's what I'm trying to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you gotta kind of read you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Like the days of me staying up all night and just working, you know, twelve sixteen eighteen hours straight in the studio.
Speaker 3: It's like, dude, I fuck that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I can't do that work. I'm the same exact way I work.
Speaker 8: And then I'm going to bed because it's like I got to be at carpool at three thirty tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Bro, Yeah you know what I'm saying, Like, I fuck it. This should still be here when I you look confused like.
Speaker 2: This, chill, what's just this?
Speaker 6: But Mike, are you cool with that? Like? Are you cool with where you are right now?
Speaker 3: I think?
Speaker 10: I mean it's kind of dope to look like I said, look at your IMD page and see that you've been in train Wreck, you got Orange and New Black, you got your own projects.
Speaker 6: Are you cool with that? Or do you want to be like, you know, recognizable on the streets and everybody?
Speaker 7: No, No, it's weird. I I am cool with it. I when I was part of the reason I feel like I was able to write the movie was in my twenties. I feel like I wanted this one type of six sas and it's like what me and all my buddies wanted the same fucking thing, Like we want to like write for Conan or SNL or this or that or whatever, and then you get to be your thirties and you start to be like, no, no, that that's not what success is. Success is like any number of things on a spectrum, and that it's personal to you. And so I'm just starting to understand, like, no, no, I'm my own thing, and I don't need to be like you're saying, like recognizing the street and all that kind of stuff, which I think in my twenties I craved, surely because I'm single.
Speaker 1: So in your head and the twenty in your twenties, writing for Conan would have been the Pinaffs.
Speaker 7: It would have Yeah, it would have been the ultimate thing.
Speaker 3: And but do you think it's more of a satiable thing because I've had that thing where it's just like, yo, man, if I just get one Grammy, that's all I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want, And then it happens and then you're like, ah, if we could just come home with like.
Speaker 3: Five thousand dollars, that's all. What Wait? If I lived a life where like I could just get four pairs of Nikes every month, that's all I want, And then it was like, Okay, a five bedroomhouse, and I swear god that no more, that's all.
Speaker 7: What Well, the craziest thing I think is it just well, I find that that's what I like about New York City is less like that than Los Angeles. I think, in my opinion, when you go to Los Angeles, I feel like you see a lot of people who they got into it for the right reasons, and then they start to take money gigs just because they're around. And you know, there's money all around in Hollywood, and I feel like my goal is just to continue, like I think, don't think twice is better than Sleepwalk with Me. I hope my third movie is better than my second movie. I hope I can make about ten in my life and then that'll be it for me, you know what I mean, likee' that's all I want to do.
Speaker 3: So you see an end game, you see a oh I can walk away from this.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think about ten movies to get back to Tarantino. I mean Tarantino is like that's what he said, that's what he said.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean even on a hip hop right. You know Hank Shockley, who is the main producer of Enemy, I'm talking.
Speaker 3: For the people.
Speaker 1: I'm still I wasn't correcting you I'm still getting over the chill of stopping one well hit To that point, Hank Shockley always said that bands after three records.
Speaker 3: They need to just be like fuck it. He was, and I mean and and to be fair, if.
Speaker 8: You look at a lot of bands like their first three, not that they didn't make anything great after that, but I mean, look at Public Enemy, look at Outcast, look at.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, we didn't start popping to our fourth record. Well, y'all didn't start popping. Popping is different. Y'all didn't pop into y'all four. And again y'all were one of the ones. Like I mean, I bought all y'all records. But even still, y'all got the opportunity to make that record. Y'all came along at a time where you know, well, y'all particular situation, you were given that space to get to record three, four or five. Whereas now you know what I'm saying, Uh, you know, particularly black artists, you're not getting that many chances at that without a home run.
Speaker 3: It's just stopping.
Speaker 1: This is from if this from a dude that took his first vacation recently and to not work for five days, it wasn't killing me as bad as I you know, didn't think it was going to kill me, like because normally when I tried to do that, okay, I'm not going to work today, whatever. And I just feel like like something's happening, someone's getting the advantage that.
Speaker 3: You know, do you do you want kids in a wife?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 3: Do you want to be married with kids? At some point? I want?
Speaker 1: But nah, that changes things, dude, I think you relate to a lot of what like what Mike is like just kids. It just that it changes everything.
Speaker 3: Man, if you have a conscious, If you have a conscious, it changes things. I know some ambitious people that put their family second. I can see that.
Speaker 1: I don't think that I could do that. But I'm also a person that doesn't say why I never do that.
Speaker 10: You won't do that because you waited this long. Those other people started early and they don't appreciate it. You'll appreciate it more.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry.
Speaker 8: Just now, that's that's a bad point. I mean because right now, I mean I had my boys, John, I'm from the South. We you know, we start early, so you know it was you know, not seriously for real. I mean my boys are fifteen and ten. Yeah, yeah, no, we start everything.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's the country. What the fuck else we gonna do with cook out and not pull out.
Speaker 9: Jesus Like, that's just that's just what you do. But but no, like a fight stop? Did you just coin like a I don't even know what the like?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 3: I guess does that count as an idiom or I don't know. I just can.
Speaker 2: Mike should tweet that.
Speaker 7: To end my career.
Speaker 3: But nah, man, I hear what you're saying on Mike.
Speaker 8: I mean, I think you know, particularly when you get to that, because it's not from what I heard you say, It's like, it's not like therapy and ship now what I heard you say, it's not that it's necessarily stopping. I think it's just necessarily just getting to that point where you realize, like, okay, I've done Once you get to a point where you realize I've expressed myself to the on the highest level that I can, whether it's a movie, whether it's a radio show, whether it's a pot whatever.
Speaker 3: If I've done that on the highest level.
Speaker 1: Right then, which leads back to our earlier conversation of listening to those voices in your head. Now what I'm just saying, is if you think that there's a limit, Like okay, now, logistically speaking, now, if we're.
Speaker 3: Talking to.
Speaker 1: Twenty year old Amir Thompson busking on the corners of South Street in Philadelphia. Now, if someone came up to me and said, check it all right, Like it's my version of Jacob Marley that says, you know, okay, now here's the deal. You're twenty now, and you know I'm actively in hip hop. Now.
Speaker 3: Usually quote it's supposed to go down at least in like two years, that's when you get your moment in time. Now, if that voice told me.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get your moment and whatever the quote your moment is is relative. I don't mean like you know, just no I got to poor Champagne on people or whatever.
Speaker 3: But if someone would have told me.
Speaker 1: That twenty five years from now, when you're forty five, it's gonna be on and popping, but till then, it's gonna be the slowest, most tortuous.
Speaker 3: Ride of your life. Like do you think do you aint Biggie would have stuck over? Like if someone told Biggie all right, all right.
Speaker 1: Christopher Wallace at nineteen, it's just not really gonna happen for you till you're like forty three.
Speaker 8: Do you think he would have been like he maybe he would have stuck around. I mean, I don't know, but I mean, but that's like it for everybody, though, I think, I mean, if you really look at it, you know, in terms of but that's the thing. There's an and I can kind of back it up with science a little bit pseudo whatever. But there was an article of Red while back they talk about by how creative people why most of their creative peaks happened in like your late thirties, you know what I'm saying, Like your late thirties, early forties.
Speaker 3: That's really what you get to your money making years.
Speaker 8: And it's something to do with that's when both sides of your brain kind of learned to talk to each other. So it's like you learned how to merge the creative and the business, and you kind of what you're saying, you kind of get out of your head a little more, but you understand how to make those two sides coexist. So that's why people have their creative breakthroughs. So I mean, so for somebody like Mike, I mean, you know, you were just the comedy seller guy. I mean like, did you ever think, like, man, I'm gonna make a fucking movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, was that you know?
Speaker 7: I always thought that was gonna happen faster like am you're saying. I always thought like when I was like twenty two, I was like, I'll make my first movie at twenty four. And then no, it's like when I was thirty two. It's like, we know, it's like literally ten years longer than I thought it was gonna be.
Speaker 3: Okay, now I'm just singing that in your thirty eight Now No, no, I don't mean uh posture are I mean in your in your eight movie plan?
Speaker 7: Yeah, in your eight movie ten movie plan, eight more movies.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, in your ten movie plan. What if movie number seven becomes your piece of resistance? What if you went Star Wars?
Speaker 7: Yeah, drop the mic and lave you mean, well, no, I'm just saying that, what if it enables you to.
Speaker 3: Start an empire? Oh?
Speaker 7: I see what you're saying, like like Apatow or something where like yeah, what year old virgin kind of thing, and then all of a sudden I could branch out and make verbiglia films that their stamp on a bunch of different.
Speaker 1: Positive that Larry Sanders era Appatow didn't even think that he would be the comedy go to god he is right now.
Speaker 7: No, I don't think he probably, but I think it takes.
Speaker 8: That time, no, man, because you're you gotta think about it like your now you were saying that twenty two year old guy, right. I think sometimes we have to grow in two as an arts. You have to give your times, give yourself space to grow into that so you're ready for it. So if you were that guy at twenty two beating on buckets and they gave you the Tonight show, you would have probably would have fucked it up, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I'm saying, because you weren't ready for that at that Nobody ready, No one is ready for that.
Speaker 1: Like I mean you you don't have no your brain is not even fully formed to like calculate risk and shit, you know what I'm saying, Like it's not even you're not ready for it. I never I never desired the show. It wasn't a dream like where like Dox Everson's on the wall like to be that dude, but like I take it as it comes. But if I were when I was thirty eight. Okay, two thousand and nine, I have no shame in my safeness and in my older statesman whatever. I might get a little ert if you know, millennial calls me og. But sir, are you og yet?
Speaker 3: I'm certainly an og? No, but I mean has like like Cuddy called you og yet?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I've been called og yold up og. I used to listen to you in middle school.
Speaker 7: Oh I get that now, Really, I get people. I keep on my show saying I listened to you in middle school.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: They don't call you og.
Speaker 7: Nobody calls me. Nobody would ever call me og in any context.
Speaker 3: Let me keep retweeting you wait a week? Well, yeah, I'm just saying that in two thousand and eight, two thousand and nine. I you know, I don't know. I just feel like to say what your plans are?
Speaker 1: I feel like that's desire, not planned, because if you do become an appetitph or have an opportunity to become or be greater than that, to become Spielberg or greater.
Speaker 3: I would think that you that might be a sam zone that you're in.
Speaker 1: If you walk away for it for any other reason, then you absolutely must bond with your kids. But even then, like Spielberg has kids and a family and that certain thing is able to juggle it. So I'm saying that I don't know if you.
Speaker 3: See, but I.
Speaker 7: Relate most to Sam in the movie. Like I, when I look at Sam, I'm like, Oh, that's what That's what I I wish I was. I wish I was someone who had complete integrity and didn't care about all that.
Speaker 1: I didn't see her. I didn't see it as well. Again, I didn't see it as integrity like she was just so she was scared.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought she was checking out.
Speaker 6: At first she was.
Speaker 10: Scared, but then when she broke down, she was not scared. She explained that, I really don't want to do that. I really don't want to be that. I don't want to be on that shut.
Speaker 9: I still think there might have been some fear that in the beginning when I'm talking about when I think, yeah, it's all fear.
Speaker 10: Fear of yeah world, fear of maybe getting to that point where you think you might be selling them.
Speaker 8: Okay, So one another scene that that that that that Sam reminded me of. So where's the line, right, so Louis.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know if you watch Louis, just the scene where Louie is in his uh it' see like season four where he goes to his agent he has the he has the opportunity to host letterst level and his agent just sits him down, and it's like, look, dude, this is what it is. You make eighty thousand dollars a year your stand up comic. You know, shit is not going to get any better than this. If you were if you were waiting for that moment. This is that moment right here, and if you don't take it, you're done forever, you know what I mean. Just kind of just that you know, that nut up or shut up kind of moment, right, and so he on.
Speaker 9: People just got really excited anytime I was keeping a list, any time I thought it was put up up where I come from, that's what it is. But we're from different places. Like just like a little he's watching a lot of times the Road and you took that one and I took that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got it.
Speaker 3: The past diverged. But but nah, so where is that? As an artist?
Speaker 8: For you might like, so, where where is that moment because you could say again where I'm just trying to understand, how can you we say that the person is sabotaging when again, it just may be a thing where you just say, look, I know my limitations, you know what I'm saying, and well, it's.
Speaker 7: Just it's just what you I think. You ultimately have to do what you love and not what you like. So it's like people say to me now, like, oh, the next you'll make will be with the studio. It'll be like Universal Paramount or whatever. And I'm like, I don't really like those movies. I don't really like big movies. I love small movies like I love movies like Don't Think Twice And you know, Captain Fantastic is a good one that's out right now and Tickled Like there's like indie small indie films just like what I love.
Speaker 3: So you had an absolute final say on this film.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I final cut. I finally cut in my first one. I just want to in all my all my one person shows the same thing.
Speaker 3: Has Hollywood coming knocking. Yeah, they call Okay, by the way.
Speaker 1: Congrats, Like I'm I'm obsessed. I'm obsessed with any not aggregates, but just any sort of rating system. And you know, when I first saw that ninety nine rotten Tomato thing, I just thought like, oh, okay, one person reviewed it, and then that was the yeah, And then I realized I was like, yo.
Speaker 3: This is like across the board. This is probably the highest.
Speaker 1: Rated uh movie that has at least a minimum of twenty major reviews to it.
Speaker 7: Like everyone's just yeah, I've been I mean, I don't know what the humble thing to say is here, people like people have been digging it, like I've been really lucky.
Speaker 1: Like this, this, this is the equivalent of this is really the equivalent like if I got to put in perspective of Illmatic getting five mics, Yeah, no, this is the illmatic five mic movement where you know, like critics are really truly getting it for those that don't understand the reference, because I feel I've.
Speaker 2: Been meaning illmatic. Did your mom and all her friends write all those rotten reviews?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: So uh for hip hop heads, uh nas is illmatic and the extremely glowing review that uh, I guess we can reveal that Mino Minya oh miss info was quote Shorty, you didn't know.
Speaker 6: This, Yeah, I didn't even know she was mean to Oh I didn't know, miss info. Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, back when Mino was at the Source magazine, back when that was our pitchfork, it was that was our pitchfork, that was our rolling stone, and there was a good six year stretch of it being absolutely credible. Last word on what was quality hip hop or not?
Speaker 3: Mad Man got made, Man Got four and a.
Speaker 2: Half and it was just.
Speaker 3: Got four and a half. Yeah, it was just like the little Kim got no, no, no, look got five. Look Kim got five? She got five? She got five? Is the one? Where was the one after that?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 3: The Naked Truth was the Naked truth? Yeah, because that.
Speaker 1: Was oh crap, because the dude was like her, what was it her? Hey, well deserves Yeah, light us up was a tipping point track. And then Scott gave it to all right, do you remember that?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Now we're falling down rabbit hole? Do you remember the Senior Love Daddy shout out moment, do the right thing? We love Radio Senior Loved and he names all those groups. Well, like I was watching that and made a beat from Matt with Scott and we were going to take it.
Speaker 3: And then next thing I know.
Speaker 1: Look even here in the beginning, like you're my drumsticks and all, like, yeah, that was a roots track.
Speaker 3: Wowow, but now it's a five my classic thank you, don't check the stor Yeah, but no.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying that when NAS's Illmatic got reviewed, that was it was well, it was a game changing moment in hip hop, and I guess I wound up being a burden to Nas at the end.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it did. It became a burden. And so.
Speaker 1: You know, I mean to get a ninety I think getting a ninety nine is better than getting a hundred.
Speaker 3: No, I think, well.
Speaker 7: There's one, yeah, there's one negative one from the Washington Post and I he tweet and tweeted about it because Seth Rogen tweeted like, I agree with all the critics. I agree, like I agree with all the critics about don't think twice or whatever, and then that motherfucker tweeted I won't even say his name, it's like not all the critics. I was like, no, I'm not that. Yeah, like I'm not gonna I'm not gonna write that.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to my two cents on the new Frank Ocean album.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but I feel like you're the kind of person that lives totally Bill. Bill's is the weird thing, though, because I don't feel that Boss Bill is the guy that genuinely feels that he needs to knock down your Jinga game, right, but just part of him that just has to Charlie Brown kick your Jinga game.
Speaker 9: I'll let you play Jinga if if you know, if it looks like you guys know what you're doing. But if you don't know what you're doing, I'm gonna knock that ship down and let somebody else play.
Speaker 3: All right, did you all right? More rabbit hole falling?
Speaker 7: Did you metaphor?
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that is.
Speaker 7: The jengamore metaphor out of respect for the Djenga in the movie. Yes, good, I love it.
Speaker 3: I'm just saying that, like you, but part of you knew that you didn't want to like it in the first place.
Speaker 9: No, it's not that I didn't go into it, not one voice so high. I didn't go into it knowing that I didn't want to like it. It's I knew what to expect, and.
Speaker 3: I knew so even though expressed sadly.
Speaker 9: It's like I knew what's expecting. I didn't want to like just you know, go off the cuff and say, oh it's trash and I didn't even listen to it. I needed to get confirmation, and I got confirmation.
Speaker 3: But I don't think.
Speaker 1: I still say that you have to live with something, uh for about three months before you.
Speaker 3: Really Yeah, yeah, I don't know. Yeah, it's like it's like I could listen to Jesus and know that I never needed to listen to it again.
Speaker 9: But you see, I had to change your heart about Jesus. Yeah, you had to go to a loud ass stadium to hear where. I believe Bob Power, who was our guest when you told this story, said that if you play anything at a loud volume, it automatically sounds better. So I mean, come on or in a strip club that was I mean, if you if you're listening to Jesus a loud volume at Madison Square Garden, it's going to sound like it's going to sound amazing because everything sounds Send.
Speaker 8: It Up was the only one that stuck for me on that, like send it up. I cut for it like that one was like, okay, ill fun, We'll send it up. And Black Skinhead is like great montage Navy seal training music. That's cool, like you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: But other than that, I.
Speaker 10: Mean ever since they played it at the engagement party and messed me up songa party at Kim and Kanye's engagement party at the stadium, Jaden and then were dancing in the background the black Skinhead.
Speaker 6: It was like, what are we doing?
Speaker 3: Who?
Speaker 6: Jayden and highly, Yes, I missed this. It was at the San Francisco Stadium.
Speaker 3: So you watch Keeping Up with the Gardashians.
Speaker 7: Oh sh you gotta you gotta look on black Twitter Marrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that wasn't I missed that too.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm not all right. I'm not even gonna leave you out there like.
Speaker 1: Twice a year, you know, like when sometimes you have to handel your battery, your your remote control what.
Speaker 3: I don't know what you were doing?
Speaker 2: Everyone?
Speaker 1: What's happened when your remote control batteries haven't been changed in a second, we.
Speaker 3: Got roll them.
Speaker 1: You got a fondle furious styles right the fury I was doing with Michael Jackson. Uh oh, for those listening at home, you don't want to see what's happening.
Speaker 6: For those ladies listening you do want to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe once or twice or three times a year, you know, the TV will be stuck on the E channel and I'll fall into a Kardashian rabbit hole and about nine of those episodes will just run and I can't stop watching it.
Speaker 6: Every man in here has watched it. At least one speak on it, because you quiet speak on it, Mike.
Speaker 3: Speak on watch it.
Speaker 7: I've watched about half an episode of a Kardashian and.
Speaker 3: Then I didn't.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry. I didn't get into it. No, I I just couldn't. I couldn't follow it.
Speaker 3: Right, I couldn't keep up.
Speaker 7: Literally, well, I was confused because I I turned it on just because Kanye was on it.
Speaker 3: He is on it, yeah, now I thought he was.
Speaker 6: Win the rabbit hole.
Speaker 7: But then I was like, if he's not on it more, I'm not going to watch this because I don't know what the rest of them do.
Speaker 3: Nothing, Like what do they do? Like? Why are they? Why is it? I think we're jealous that they're able to monetize.
Speaker 6: When it's features.
Speaker 3: I don't want to monetize.
Speaker 7: I don't like this an that's what I you know, that's a good example, I think, I think it's a sellout adventure.
Speaker 6: Well your dig but they sell out on purpose. They never had like a you know, there was never anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think Chris Jenner was at the murder trial of her boob that her ex husband was defending while sitting defending her side dude while with the new dude, like, that's.
Speaker 2: That's like the boyfriend.
Speaker 6: Mike and America confused.
Speaker 3: They don't know.
Speaker 2: That's like the boyfriend that came to Mike's girlfriend's house and then Mike Kim there too, and those two boyfriends.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the murder.
Speaker 1: One murder, But how do we get to this? We just fell down rabbit holes. I was trying to explain thematic and we ended up it like the little Kim, which.
Speaker 3: Then led to so let's go back to omadic. I guess yeah, so you got ninety nine and rotten to a fag? You congratulations? Is Mike?
Speaker 7: What I feel? I feel like, I feel lucky. I feel luckier about like us sitting around talking about it and how it relates to our lives. Then I feel about reviewers. I feel like, because that's that's all when you're making music or you're making a movie or whatever.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 7: All you want is for people to go, oh, that's like my life, and that's you know, that's all you want. So that's all that. I feel very lucky.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know they don't all work. Can we go bottom line? Let's go bottom line across the room desires like, are we really truly honest with what we want out of life? Steve, Steve Mandel Sugar Steve.
Speaker 3: What is it that you want out of life? To be honestly, what do you want? You go to him first of this, because I know it's gonna be hilarious.
Speaker 5: Pass think about it.
Speaker 3: I mean, but I think there's an instinct in all of us that truly knows what we want.
Speaker 5: I mean in what regard the personal relationships or professional.
Speaker 3: Like, at what point? At what point are we like I'm satisfied, I'm gonna stop. I know what happens. I don't think it.
Speaker 8: I don't think you ever stopped. Yeah, I don't think you ever stopped. I think you just can reach a point of complacency. Yeah, right, you stop chasing. It's like the Bill Withers thing where he's like, you know, if you're going through when you're when you're going through life. If you're on your way to excellent, right at some point you're gonna get pretty good. And once you get to pretty good, look around, because that may be as far as you're gonna go. So it's just kind of like, I don't think no one ever stops, but you have to think at some point right now, if my life doesn't go past just being able to talk ship with questlove and two Jews, have my Jewish brothers, you know what I'm saying, like in a room and electric lady, just being able to talk ship with.
Speaker 3: My homies and have like anyone's exploded in the room behind me as.
Speaker 6: Okay, yeah, we're still an he's not read anymore, he's not ready.
Speaker 1: No, But I'm saying, if my life doesn't go past this point, it's like, yo, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I get to make a living fucking with people. I really you know, love and respect and ship like what else?
Speaker 5: I got my answer?
Speaker 11: Okay, inspired the Elvis album. We did an album with Elvis Costello.
Speaker 3: All right, So you're just you're contenting.
Speaker 11: Me when your achievements surpassed your dreams.
Speaker 1: So you got to produce your idol so you don't feel like now, like, okay, next record.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's more he's gonna do. He's gonna do another song that I wrote the lyrics for us.
Speaker 5: So it gets it gets bigger than.
Speaker 3: You know strug girl.
Speaker 5: But that's all bounced with.
Speaker 11: You know, you gotta keep the family situation harmonious and you know, keep the regular work job going. And if all those things are cool, then you know you're cool.
Speaker 13: I think so, all right, a buch of sugar being right, can we just let one episode without diabetes being mentioned?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Bill? Yeah, what do you want outline besides getting.
Speaker 5: Laid, which ain't gonna have.
Speaker 3: That's it. It's gonna happen, man, It's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Thank you well to talk about that.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: I feel like we've all been working so hard to get through a place where we can plateau, not like plateau in a negative sense, but then like, you worked so hard to get to this place where you can do what you want. And I think that that's that was always my my desire was, like I I did not intend to get involved in any of the things I'm involved in.
Speaker 9: Yes, okay, but if you fulfill your ghetto, we're not doing If you get your If you get your OH, then will you be like.
Speaker 3: I did it? That's it.
Speaker 2: I think I'd like to get the OH so that we could stop talking about it more than more than actually getting it.
Speaker 7: In the.
Speaker 2: Oscar.
Speaker 7: You don't have an oscar.
Speaker 2: That's like the most potentious bullshit, like I.
Speaker 7: Don't have an oscar.
Speaker 3: You know how many?
Speaker 7: You know how many great films don't have oscars?
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 7: So many?
Speaker 3: Like I feel like I'm superficial for desires, you know, I don't think.
Speaker 7: I think, well, I don't know. I mean, there's this Angela Duckworth wrote this column for The Times recently, where she said, when you're to college graduates, she said, I don't recommend you. I won't ask yourself what do I want to be when I grow up? Ask yourself what's the world I want to live in? And how can I help make that happen? And I feel like, now in my late thirties, I'm starting to be like, that's what I want to do. I just want to figure out how can I help?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm, that's I got a list, So skip Fico and Bill, let's go.
Speaker 6: Oh No, I'm in a list for Mike to help. But what you want, don't get Bill, let's.
Speaker 3: My my my.
Speaker 1: What I want my ultimately is to make as much money as I can behind the scenes, so I can only leave my house when I.
Speaker 3: Feel like it. So that's real good.
Speaker 8: Yeah, to make as much to have enough money to where I don't gotta leave my house like and be seen. That is real, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So that's that's awesome. Yeah, that's what That's also what I want, you know what I mean.
Speaker 8: It's just I think sometimes you know, when we as desires, like you know how Mike you was saying, you know, in your twenties, you think, man, I'm gonna do this at twenty four. For me, it was very much a thing where I think sometimes you know, whatever your belief God, you know, whatever the universe, how do you want to phrase it? I think sometimes people, you know, in life you'll get what you asked for, but not what you want it, you know what I mean. It's kind of like the Henry Ford thing of like if I asked, if I would have asked the public what they wanted, they to ask for a faster horse, you know what I mean. So sometimes I think in life you can say if you're that young kid and you just think, Yo, I want a record deal. I want to record I want to record deal. I want to record deal. And you get the record deal and then you realize, oh my god, this is ship. So then in the midst of that record deal you realize, you know, what what I really want is freedom. But you don't get that until you don't get the lesson, until you get that thing that you thought that you really wanted.
Speaker 3: So for me, I'm just at a point where I was like, you know, I admire I like my privacy. I like just you know, laying low. I really don't do people like that. You know what I'm saying. I prefer just close company, just people you know, I do being kicked yea and everything.
Speaker 8: His answer is my answer, get my bread and just be able to lay low. And you ain't got to know my name, you ain't got to know. Just know my work and know where it's my checks.
Speaker 3: That's it. I want to be the kind of guy that can shut a sight down like Gawker, just you know, pure spite, Yo, who are you?
Speaker 9: You can't be like the mental terrorists Like I'm like, I just want to be able to do my thing. You know how I want to do it without all the extra hullabaloo and recognition. I want to be a little you know, be a regular person, but you know that just does extraordinary shit.
Speaker 6: Oh okay, so let me look at my list I would like to own. I would like a house in Brazil, a house.
Speaker 3: In d C.
Speaker 6: And in all seriousness that I do want a house in Brazil and house in DC.
Speaker 10: But I'd just like to get again. I've been doing good. I was doing good getting paid to be myself.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 6: I would like to be able to really make a living off with that. That'd be great.
Speaker 10: And for a man to say one day, hey, would you marry me? Because you know, it's just I heard that's kind of nice.
Speaker 6: What a dude does that.
Speaker 10: Don't mean to get all girly on y'all when it never happens and you're at a certain age.
Speaker 6: You're like, and then I'd like to use this little coaching here for a little baby unusable to use this.
Speaker 2: Or you know, like a.
Speaker 6: Firm, I will take anybody. I have a couple of short lists, lady.
Speaker 3: And that's another episode of.
Speaker 12: Steve.
Speaker 6: You don't have any babies, do you? That sugar hereditary or is it no, that was that was man made.
Speaker 3: We'll talk across.
Speaker 5: I'll give you one sperm, the.
Speaker 1: Little swimmer that could never had. Okay, yeah, I just want this episode to be.
Speaker 7: Wait, but but meir, what do you want?
Speaker 3: What do you want? Now? I feel like my life is superficial? Go in, go in like you in the circle.
Speaker 9: Now, well, okay, let me look before you preface it, like, you have a skill set that a lot of us don't have, and we can't make money off of our skill set the way that you can. So you know, if if you feel like you know, you're ones a little bit more superficial, I'm not mad at that because.
Speaker 3: You have them. You got a lot more tools to work with.
Speaker 8: It's like, dude, no, seriously, it's like because you DJ and you your incredible drummer and you're famous, so it's like you almost okay do I'm gonna tell you. I know you have your Mario with the with the mushroom, with the big mushroom and the flower.
Speaker 1: When you shoot out the fucking fireball, you're super like you're super Mario with all the fucking your powers, all your powers.
Speaker 9: All that shit is relative. Okay, how so it's relative. Okay, so how can I make a million dollars off of my skill set?
Speaker 3: Well that's the thing because if you're thirty eight years old.
Speaker 1: And you say, okay, well here's my final plan, and da da da da da, I don't know. I'm just saying that, I like putting a cap on it.
Speaker 3: I didn't see.
Speaker 1: I didn't even imagine that that part of my life was ever going to happen. I mean, who starts winning at forty four?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 3: Yo, everybody, we just had this conversation.
Speaker 6: Forty four you are now, dude, we just.
Speaker 8: Had I had this conversation with Carl Dude, like actor, right, Steve Carrell. We were talking about with Steve Carrell. You know, he didn't really start popping.
Speaker 3: He was forty fucking Morgan Freeman. He ain't starting he was god damn sixty shit, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, all right, my, my, my, real. I don't know if it's because of this mantra. All right, there's there's a Spin magazine that Spike Lee was on the cover of back in nineteen ninety two.
Speaker 3: That's just like the Bible to me? Was that the one he edited?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they let Spike Lee edit when Mo Beta Blues came out or a Jungle Fever.
Speaker 3: The Spin magazine, and.
Speaker 1: He gave an article to Harry Allen Chuffdee to Wright, of which those two accurately predicted what their life would be like in twenty years now.
Speaker 3: It was nineteen ninety and you know, the Bomb Squad and public Enemy was so damn ubiquitous, like.
Speaker 1: Between Bell DeVos poison, if you have a black planet, Ice cubes. America's most wanted the Juice soundtrack like they were the stand they were the gold standard what the hip hop was.
Speaker 3: And they said, we're probably going to fall off in about three to four years. Wow, Then our contemporaries will sort of discard us out the window.
Speaker 1: The very first time I ever heard of, because Harry is such a nerd, the idea of the information super high. You know, we will probably be you know, be kicked off our label, so we'll be forced to sell records.
Speaker 3: On our own.
Speaker 1: They went with this whole thing, and Chuck's whole thing was like, well, not to be a total kill joy, but you know, I'm also in this business.
Speaker 3: My endgame is to create five thousand black leaders.
Speaker 7: Wow.
Speaker 3: And so I thought, hmm, maybe I could be a black leader that that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: I mean, it sounded lofty and kind of just like weird, like the idea of meditating or whatever. I just read it as like this seems a little bitter and whatever. But then I realized, like, oh man, that's some legacy shit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's powerful.
Speaker 1: That's some real legacy shit. Well one, they were in that miss that eighteen point missions. They were ninety nine percent correct of what life was gonna was gonna be in two thousand and two. But at that I I guess my my, I guess my goal is to.
Speaker 3: Create unmovable, unerasable graffiti.
Speaker 7: That's nice.
Speaker 1: So you don't think you've done that already. I mean at the rate where my last class where six of my eighteen students.
Speaker 3: Never heard of Thriller.
Speaker 1: That scared me because now I'm realizing that, you know, it's one thing where it's like, Okay, you might forget EPMD's fourth record, you ain't forgetting.
Speaker 3: But now we got a generation that may or may not know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to say that Prince had to go through his transitional process to be forever etched in the memory of a lot of people that he otherwise, especially with the way he was going with the you know, being off the internet and stuff, you know, like basic things that we should take for granted, Like there might be a time in twenty sixty where Thriller might not matter.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean, something like thrillering the greatest selling of album. You know. It's just that's scary to me. So I'm trying to but what has lasted? I mean other than I mean a song, like I mean happy Birthday?
Speaker 7: I mean what, Yeah, that's there's a whole book about this. Recently, Chuck Klosterman wrote about what is in what becomes history now and he was saying, like, of all the music that exists right now, probably Marching Band Wow, because it's ubiquitous. It's in everything. It's ever, every football game, every every movie.
Speaker 3: Will never stop. That's like the Tuxedo of no. I think. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't think whatever. My contribution that will last is in music, so uh, you know, I you know, is it in the food world, is it in radio? Is it in creating drum sets for for kids?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I think you have to keep going though, I think you have to just you know, when we say like not stopping. It's not.
Speaker 8: It's just you got to use all the tools in your toolbox because you never know which one is going to knock the wall down or knock a wall down, you know what I'm saying. So it could be it could be your fried chicken. I mean, who the fuck knows? Right, It just you have to just keep keep going, goy laugh like I did.
Speaker 3: I double dog did not be your chicken. That's what I'm.
Speaker 6: Legcy quest left.
Speaker 3: But that would be the black.
Speaker 7: I feel it's disingenuous of me to just say what my goals were without pointing out that, like, I'm also like ambitious and I want things, but also like you know, I don't know, like I I have some Jack and me too, like the Jack character in Me Too. I mean, if my wife were here, she would like yell at me for my answer and be like, that's not what you're like at all. You're ambitious, you're selfish things.
Speaker 3: You have to be Jack to write a movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and direct a movie yeah, and starting it. Yeah you are. I got some of it.
Speaker 1: In We're Here with Mikerobiglia, creator and star of Don't Think Twice and also sleep Walk with me and a gazillion other projects.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well Orange's new and anyone else wanted.
Speaker 8: To Uh Twitter Bacheler of Suicide Squad, I felt join that.
Speaker 7: Thank you. I got mad at m p a A Because they gave me a R Yeah thirteen for smokeing adult smoking weed.
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 7: Is that crazy?
Speaker 2: N p A A.
Speaker 7: Man, there's a crazy movie. There's a crazy documentary about that. This This movie is not yet raided and it's everdent.
Speaker 3: Hed that so wait, what is the process?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 7: It's not available anywhere?
Speaker 3: Is it? The Four Old People?
Speaker 7: I swear to god, it's so hard. I know, I know, but now it's pulled off.
Speaker 1: I feel like, is it like the Huey Lewis High School Committee and Back to the Future that watches your movie.
Speaker 7: It's like eight people according to this movie. This movie is not yet rated. It's like eight people and they've been doing it forever, and I think it. It has sort of a moralistic bent to it, you know, And a lot of times they'll give notes in the movie. They'll be like, uh, we should only see her orgasming for eight seconds and not eleven seconds.
Speaker 5: And it's like Bill Sherman's yeah, yeah, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: That's crazy. Yeah, well so these eight people watch every very movie.
Speaker 7: Yeah movie, Yeah, so what if.
Speaker 3: Your film like is shown at like one in the morning or something like. I feel like it also depends the talented people.
Speaker 7: Just play at art houses. You can have your movie be not rated, but then it'll it may not it may not end upwhere Yeah, they can't play a movie theater or that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: So you wanted this to be PEG thirteen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because there's it's harmless. I feel like teenagers can watch it and there's nothing to it. I mean, it's just a story about friends. Like I wanted it to be like a big chill or like a sant almost fire kind of movie for this generation. So I'm like the fact that they're kind of making it like taboo for anyone's it's just kind of annoying.
Speaker 8: I think it's an adult movie, but it's not like a vulgar There's nothing in it that I thought warrants it and already.
Speaker 6: He makes it real.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I felt about it.
Speaker 1: But the thing was the main thing that turned me off about Suicide Squad was as PG thirteen, I was just like just lame, Like if it were are then I'd be like a word, okay, I would you know, I have the desire to see it, but I did.
Speaker 11: I know why yours is are because you point out how all the pettiness and adults.
Speaker 5: People can handle it Like that was the most disturbing part to me.
Speaker 11: And really the most memorable part was how they were friends, obviously, but but there you know, there's that there's that party that's rooting for your friend, that part that's jealous and all living side by side and comes out, you know, like when when the people in your movie say, oh, I just got this the gig or I got the writing gig or whatever, and there's there's moments of like nobody knows what to say because what you they want to say this fuckhy not me.
Speaker 7: A crazy thing about my movie is that I don't it's great to talk about it because I can't watch anymore because I get choked up. I like start crying every time because I feel like I relate to all the characters. I feel sad for them.
Speaker 3: What's the moment in the movie that you must relate to when.
Speaker 7: The final scene with Jack and Sam?
Speaker 1: But wait, I was gonna say I was for a second, I thought you were going to make Jack sabotage his moment too.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, nah fuck.
Speaker 3: But for a second he was like, maybe I won't take the train of mine. Dude, Lauren's going to kill you. But not Lauren, but.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean Timothy Timothy.
Speaker 3: So Timothy was.
Speaker 1: Rather kind of douchy though, which I felt like you had to make him super doucey so it wouldn't be what you think that Lauren is, because Lauren is the opposite of that.
Speaker 7: Different, it's different. Yeah, yeah, you know, I just it's his own thing. I just wanted to make the boss like cold, you know what I mean, just like tough.
Speaker 3: Well where'd that bicycle come from?
Speaker 5: That was my question.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: So there's like, yeah, the wooden bicycle in the movie. I live in Brooklyn by this. I always walked by this shop that has like Swedish bicycles, and one day I walked by and it had like a wooden bicycle. I was like, I got to put that in something. It's so funny. It's one of the funniest looking things I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Are they like expensive?
Speaker 3: Is that like? Is that why?
Speaker 7: Yeah? I think they were like thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the band on the show.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's a real band.
Speaker 3: They were really exciting.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they're called l Yeah.
Speaker 3: How did you? How did you?
Speaker 7: I found them? Just like fishing around for new bands. My wife and I just we listened to a lot of new bands and and we just found that band.
Speaker 5: That's a real band. They were because who sang the Dylan song at the end.
Speaker 7: It's piano by Roger Neil it's piano instrumental. Who there's a composer, yeah, in the credits and uh. And Dylan was nice enough to I mean I don't I never met Bob Dylan, but he was, you know, his manager, Jeff Rosen, was nice enough to let us have that sound for for next to nothing. It's really generous. I mean, Bob Dylan's really good to independent film like He's I have to say, like that guy is like really gives it up to a lot of movies for very little money. It's nice talk about talk about legacy. He's a guy who's I think very kind of focused on sort of passing, you know, paying it forward to the next generation.
Speaker 6: Is that like a small collective of no musicians that do kind of kind of cater I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean George Clinton, Bob Dylan, is that well, George Clinton always uh uh charged the lowest rate possible for his music.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's kind of the crack theory, like you give him, get your test. I'm not gonna I'm not gonna comment on that. Why George George George George cleaned himself up. So yeah, oh yeah, but yeah, it's the crack theory. Give you a little taste, yeah, give you taste, and then and then get you addicted, and then he keep coming back.
Speaker 7: But oh, by the way, Dylan is a great example of the guy who has always he never he never stopped. He kept going. He keeps making new albums. He's not like the Stones. He doesn't go out and do the hits. He's just he keeps like making new music.
Speaker 3: Side note, the Dylan that I know like the back of my hand, just the Christian era. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Christian there.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, yeah, there's a whole bunch of albums in there.
Speaker 1: There's a Christian Yeah, there's like four records that between like seventy six.
Speaker 3: And Infidels, like yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: So when my parents were on their Christian kick with only Christian radio in the house. I thought Bob Dylan was a Christian artist.
Speaker 7: That's amazing. I didn't know about That's incredible.
Speaker 9: Didn't didn't deal and also do some records with Full Force and No No with salam Remy and Curtis Blow.
Speaker 3: Whoa what dog?
Speaker 1: Salam Remy was Salam's father was a staff person at Mercury so eighty forty five. He was already at like thirteen fourteen years old producing Curtis Blow that America album Wow, the Kingdom Come album backed by popular demand.
Speaker 3: Salam Remy, salam.
Speaker 1: Remy at like fifteen sixteen years old. You know, Salamay did the Payback mix, the James.
Speaker 3: Brown Pai that. Wait, I didn't know that. I didn't know that. I did think that the Payback the Payback mix, which one is it?
Speaker 9: It's that James Brown Like there's like a James Brown Master Mix. Oh wow, yeah you know it if you heard it.
Speaker 1: So side rabbit Hole, that's a really big album, Rabbit the rabbit Hole starting quest Questlove's rabbit Hole.
Speaker 2: Too late.
Speaker 1: Now Yeah, well, Mike, I I have to say, uh, thank you really a sincere thanks uh for creating a conversation piece and something really universal, like it's rare. It's super rare that, uh that I see or witness something that I totally relate to and they don't necessarily look like me per se, but I totally see myself in those characters.
Speaker 3: You know. I really I can't thank you enough for it, like that I needed to.
Speaker 1: I really need to see that film and thank you for creatings.
Speaker 6: Thanks a lot of thanks for giving up to the improv community too, like that was dope.
Speaker 7: Thanks for having me on and this is this is this is awesome.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you. Go see the movie. Go see yesh. Yeah it's twice.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's in It's in like one hundred and fifty theaters in the country right now. And uh, don't think twicemovie dot com if you want to find out where it is.
Speaker 3: I have to say.
Speaker 1: This is uh this, this is this is one of them deep cut episodes. I suppose it's one of them deep cuts. All right, So what did you learn Telo today?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 8: I learned today that Amir Thompson is one of the most shallow motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: Fucking paper chasing keep up with the Jones ass fucking.
Speaker 6: Yo.
Speaker 3: It's gonna make a great album. Nah manh nah Man. I learned that. I learned that from from Mike.
Speaker 8: Just that whole man, just that whole thing about the sleepwalking, Like that's just imagine, Like I mean, just having the courage to share something like that and uh, just you know, knowing that you gotta deal with that all your life.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's just something crazy.
Speaker 8: But I mean he is definitely one of the favorite people that I've introduced a lot of stuff that he's saying. He I hear myself in that, you know what I'm saying, in terms of getting older, you know, hitting that kind of late thirties, not being old, but just older and just being able to put things in perspective, you know what I'm saying. He was very you know his movie Like hearing him talk about the process of how you know, twenty two working the door at the comedy seller and thinking you're gonna do your first movie bout twenty four, which you don't do it till ten years later. I mean that resonates so much. Man, Like that, you know when people say that the entertainment and this is me in unpaid We've had this conversation on Texas up before when people say that the entertainment, you know, it takes hard work.
Speaker 1: I don't think anyone ever realizes how much hard work it is. I don't think they realize that. It's like, no, it's gonna be ten, fifteen, twenty years of just fucking slavery until one day.
Speaker 8: You'll see like and it's like, oh shit, you know we made it. But yeah, man, I learned that a lot of our stories are very similar.
Speaker 3: Cool big ups to Mic, unpaid Bill, What did you learn today?
Speaker 2: I learned that I need to keep a running document of Fonte's quotes. Number one, number two I learned, I thought, well, cashing in versus sell out. I thought that was a fascinating idea because I've never ever heard that before.
Speaker 3: Don't forget pulling out, Well.
Speaker 5: That's.
Speaker 2: Nuttingtting. Yeah, you know, and I would, honestly, I would not have watched that movie had we not been here talking to Mike, because I don't ever watch movies because I don't have any goddamn time.
Speaker 3: But I was like, yeah, you're in the industry.
Speaker 2: Well I know, but but I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: It's the one thing that like is farn to me. I don't. I don't go to the movies. I don't know kids, man, kids, but but I was. I was saying that that I haven't seen a movie like that in a while. That was so universal, that appealed to me in a way that I thought I was almost after I watched it, I was embarrassed coming here and to say to everybody that's about me, like that movie is straight up my life like that, like except the improv ship, which is not that, but like having a group of friends. Wait, I know I play.
Speaker 3: This is the improv. We are improv.
Speaker 2: It's true. It's true. Yea uh yeah, yeah yeah, So I I was just I was. It was just interesting to see how universally your own story is and how other people share that ship. And it's nice to know that the journey of life is with other people.
Speaker 3: True. There you go, paid Steve question. So what would you learn, Steve?
Speaker 11: I learned that Mike Bigley, his name is not I learned a lot about him. He's an introspective, bright guy that's good grip on things and it's creative. And but like unpaid Bill, I didn't think I was going to be into the movie. I'm not into independent films. I'm not into improv I don't like being told to watch a movie. Sorry, but but again, like these guys that came out of it, sort of thinking, you know, I can relate to Summer all of those characters in the sense, especially in the sense of what I brought up to him that that's sort of duality of rooting for your friends and also sort of having that constant jealousy to beat them to the finish line.
Speaker 8: There's an Oscar Wild quote about that where it's like, you know, it's something to the effect of you can it's easy. Basically, it's easy to be friends in times of sympathy when your friends need this sympathy, But can you be a friend in their time of success? Like that's what tests friendships.
Speaker 2: It's not just quote Oscar Wild.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fuck you man.
Speaker 2: Every time we do this ship you you will quote the dumbest television show, the dumbest.
Speaker 3: Smartest rapper and then like an.
Speaker 2: Are you.
Speaker 3: To the top of my hands? Brother?
Speaker 2: To be alone by yourself, like with the money and just like like novels, like you could be in prison. I know anyway, Sorry, un paid bill, what did you learn? No, that's paid Bill. I'm paid Bill.
Speaker 3: What did I learn.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think everybody's pretty much already touched on it so far. You know, just watching the movie, which probably wasn't a movie I would have normally watched, but like by the end of it, I got so wrapped up in it because, like like everybody said, it was like watching my life on screen. Like I'm not I'm not in improv, I'm not you know, into I'm not a musician or anything, but just so much much of it rings true with just seeing being on Facebook every day and seeing what my friends are doing and see where I am in life, and you know, uh, you know, and some people I'm ahead of, some people I'm way behind. So you know, it's it's it's I don't know, it's weird. Getting old, it's it kind of sucked.
Speaker 3: I don't like it. How old are you?
Speaker 9: I'm thirty six, I said, I said, getting older. No, I thought you were like forty six. Now I am a year in like a week or something younger than Fonte. Yeah, I'm a year a week younger than you.
Speaker 3: Look, man, I don't like this.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, I'm not saying everybody's journey gotta be my journey. But again, I was kind of ready, you know, thirty eight, thirty nine. I was like, well, this was nice, it was.
Speaker 3: Cool.
Speaker 1: But I'm like you and then you know, evidently like a window open. I'm just saying that it can happen late, but a.
Speaker 3: Lot of tight.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's That's what I'm proc, dude, that's that's not late. I think that's kind of poor for the chorus. I mean, well, yeah, but just a lot you usually.
Speaker 3: Post thirty five, we start like, okay, might as well.
Speaker 9: I think you're just looking at it from the perspective of being in the music industry, and like in any any other field, you know, just.
Speaker 3: Say, man with like twelve syllables, okay, in.
Speaker 9: Any other industry, most people don't find success in their twenties.
Speaker 3: So you know, man, talk about it.
Speaker 10: I think we we're the generation that was. I always say that Diddy messed it up. I say that Diddy messed it up when he quit college and kept doing those trips to New York and got success early and became millionaires. And everybody looked at Diddy and was like, you know what, it could be done by twenty something, but not for you.
Speaker 1: Oh I feel you me, I telt you met him having a successful rap career as.
Speaker 3: A non rapper.
Speaker 6: That's how Kim Kardashian looked at it. But I'm just saying that, oh, well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, diddy' is the beginning of the quarter personality, right, so, but yeah, it starts with them and ends with Kim.
Speaker 7: Oh.
Speaker 6: But here's what I learned today that you were asking, mister Loft.
Speaker 10: Mister, I learned that I'm like, y'all, I'm really in the improv stand up a couple of times and whatnot. And so for Mike, I've realized that, you know what, it's it's possible to live your dreams and it's possible to use all these tools for the greater good. Because I'm hoping at some point did all those classes and I pro groups and stuff lead.
Speaker 6: So I'm just saying that's what I learned today.
Speaker 3: It's led you to this.
Speaker 6: Oh that's right, I made it.
Speaker 2: Yeah you did?
Speaker 3: What did you learn? Like? Seeing being the l now as the leader of this flock?
Speaker 1: Now, I feel like I'm gonna let you all down again because the one thing I learned I'm gonna try tonight.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna sleeping and sleeping.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're gonna pot it out.
Speaker 6: I just.
Speaker 3: I ain't going with the mints to.
Speaker 6: Make sure I have the inside zipper though, because you.
Speaker 3: Well, no, only only because I'm one of those people who's uh air conditioning Like you ever? Are you ever.
Speaker 1: So cold in the morning or hot in the morning that you're too lazy to get out of bed just change the temperature day you just rather suffer.
Speaker 3: Through it and just hope that take your clothes off or right, I'm one.
Speaker 1: Of those lazy can't walk to the air conditioner just to turn it down or whatever. So right now, like my my joint is like on freeze freeze time's pie.
Speaker 3: Like my room's like forty one degrees.
Speaker 6: Like tell then we call that strip club weather?
Speaker 3: Is that we call it?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Because that's they kept the nipples hard. That's how to keep the nipples hard.
Speaker 5: And I also want to say, electric ladies the bomb.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, we got couches and we sitting.
Speaker 5: This is better than that, Yes, Persia, Yes, it's it's.
Speaker 1: It's it's important, quite awesome to to come back home to uh electrical lady and uh until next time, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 3: On behalf of boss bill and and unpaid Bill and Lie. All right, let you Beck and fin take. My name is quest Love and this is question only Onda quest Love Supreme.
Speaker 1: It is a production of iHeart Radio. This classic episode was produced by the team at Mandora. For more podcasts from iHeart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.