Speaker 1: Welcome to Stuff you should Know, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Hey, and welcome to the podcast. I'm Josh and there's Chuck and it's just us. But that's okay because we can keep all the Chinese food to ourselves. I'll have to share with Jerry. And this is stuff you should know.
Speaker 1: That's right. A lot of caveats on this, can I list off a few?
Speaker 2: Sure? All right?
Speaker 1: First of all, this is going to be a very broad overview of a cuisine that we could probably do like a ten part at least episode series on.
Speaker 2: I would say eleven, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Maybe eleven. So just you know, have your expectations set going into this one. When you talk about Chinese food, there's a lot there. We are going to do our best to pronounce things correctly. I looked up a lot of stuff and I'm doing my best. But some of this stuff is hard for my dumb American mouth, and a lot of this is going to be I mean, it's mainly about sort of you know, Chinese food, although we're going to talk about origins and stuff like that, origin stories. It's mainly like what Chinese food has become here in the States. Although we'll talk a little bit about other countries later, but it's through our lens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. That was great Vat City right.
Speaker 1: There, Caaveat City, David Bowie, great song.
Speaker 2: So you said something that we were going to largely focus on American Chinese cuisine, and Laura helped us with this, and she makes a really good point that Chinese food is not just one thing. Yeah. And the reason why it's not just one thing, or one of the reasons why is because it's been exported all over the globe. Anywhere that Chinese people traveled, usually for work to immigrate, they brought their food with them and introduced it to wherever they were, and then over time, the local flavors and tastes and ingredients from that place melded with the Chinese food, and a new type of chines Use food was born. And America is no exception to that. So we have American Chinese food. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And do you know what I love about that? This whole story is like everywhere Chinese people went, they were like, get a load of this, yeah, and everyone was like, oh my god, that's amazing. Yeah, and it took yeah big time. I mean, I I have no examples of places where Chinese immigrants had brought their food and people are like, nah, no, thanks right.
Speaker 2: The only one I could find was Belize.
Speaker 1: Oh, I know you're kidding. I'm not going to fall for it. And the reason why is because, I mean, I can live on many, many, many cuisines from Asia. I love Japanese food, I love Thai, I love Vietnamese, I loved Filipino, like Korean food. I love it all. But at the end of the day, good old fashioned like Chinese takeout is just one of my favorite all time things since I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Yeah, that's what I grew up on too. It wasn't until I was an adult that I was like, there's other kinds of Asian food out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's kind of what you and if you grew up in the seventies and eighties, that was sort of the first, you know, probably one of the first, you know, cuisines from another country you ever ate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, you know.
Speaker 1: Maybe Mexican food wasn't that big back then. That's only become more popular, I think in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 2: Even even still as a kid, the Mexican food I was exposed to is chi cheese for God's Sake.
Speaker 1: Or Del Taco.
Speaker 2: We didn't even have that. That was really But I think maybe even before Chinese food, I was exposed to Japanese hibachi because there was this nice restaurant in Toledo called in Japanese. Yeah, and we would go to that, and I think I might have had that before Chinese food. But regardless, I love Chinese food too. I would say my top two are Japanese followed by Indian, but Chinese is definitely up there in top five or so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, I'm a simple guy, like pork, fried rice and an egg roll. And I'm just now realizing we're not even going to talk about egg rolls in this and I'm panicking all of a sudden.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that didn't strike me until you just said that too, And although my voice doesn't betray that, I'm definitely scared right now as well.
Speaker 1: All Right, you know, hey, let's do let's do a shorty on eggrolls. Maybe we'll pair it.
Speaker 2: With this good idea. All right, So we said that Chinese food is not just one thing because it's been exported globally, but even in China, Chinese food is not just one thing. And they divide Chinese cuisine into eight different regions. Why did you tell them what the regions are, Chuck.
Speaker 1: I'm just realizing I didn't look up a couple of these, so maybe you did. But the regions as agreed upon right now are and they have different names for each one. So the first grouping is Sichuan, sa Chuan or I didn't look up c h U a n.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're braver than me. I was just gonna say the first ones that are they're mostly known by in the US.
Speaker 1: Oh, we can do that, then that's much easier. So let's go with Sechuan, Cantonese, Hunan, which is also Jong. Let me see here, we have Shangdong, we have jung Su, we have oh, I did look that one up Jong.
Speaker 2: Very nice. Fujian I've always heard as Fujian, but that sounds kind of like an American version.
Speaker 1: Well I heard it pronounces if it had a y, And they're almost like few okay, uh few Fujian okay. And then what's the last one there on? Wi?
Speaker 2: Yes, And some people added at least a ninth one with sean Ji, and they're all a little different there. They bear a lot of similarities. A lot of them love sweet and sour, A lot of them are heavy on the salt or umami, some like sauces. But one of the big differences, or some of the big differences is like where this area is located. Some of them are coastal, so they incorporate a lot of seafood. Some of them are colder, so there's like a lot of soups and heavy noodles and like really really heavy flavors. And then others are like, hey, we love panting around the wilderness and catching deer, so they incorporate like local wildlife into it. And usually what I've seen is when when there's a lot of wildlife involved or game involved in the recipes, they tend to let that flavor stand on its own. It's not like heavy with sauces. That kind of cuisine isn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they how they achieve spices kind of different depending where you are too. Sometimes it's those numbing Chinese peppercorns. You can't do those, No. Yeah, I've learned to eat a lot of spicy food over the last like five or six years and increase my spice level, but there's something about the numbing peppercorn that's I have a hard time with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's natural.
Speaker 1: It's tough, but I can. You know, it depends on the cuisine other sort, like the chilies that they use, I can. I can handle that pretty well. Well. It's hot, but I like it. And sometimes it's just the chili flakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the little red chilis they'll sometimes serve hole with the disc Yes, I can handle those two for sure. Cornible, Yeah, it's tough. Yeah. And what I mean by handling those little red chili peppers is that I eat around them.
Speaker 1: Same here.
Speaker 2: So the cuisine that most people in the United States are familiar with is Cantonese. That's definitely like the first kind of Chinese food that Americans adopted, and that has a lot to do with the first wave of migrants that came over to the United States. A lot of them were from Canton. And as a matter of fact, the first Chinese restaurant to open in all of North America, I'm including Canada and Mexico here was called Canton and it was in San Francisco.
Speaker 1: That's right. I mean, if you've ever had dim sum, that's Cantonese. If you've never had dim sum. I highly recommend it. It's I hate to say like because it used to annoy me when a certain person I knew used to say like tortillas or like American bread, and I was like, no, they're just tortillas. Who said that, I'm not gonna tell you. I'll tell you offline. But I was going to say, like, if you've ever had tapas, dim sum is kind of like the Chinese version of tapas, but it really is just dim sum. But it's like shared small plates, a lot of steam stuff, but also fried stuff, baked stuff, a lot of dumplings, right, a lot of dumplings. You know. Just go to New York, go to hopkey, get some dim sum and thank me later.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's amazing, I will thank you later. I've never really had dim sum actually, and I think about it.
Speaker 1: Oh boy. I mean, I like all kinds of food in Chinatown and New York, but dim sum is definitely one of them. But I'll also go to just the you know, because if you're staying in a hotel, you can't get these huge orders and just like take tons and tons of food with you, right, So my move now is generally just to pop down there. By myself and get a couple of gigantic egg rolls.
Speaker 2: You and the egg rolls. Huh wait, wait, we can't talk about that. We have to save it for short stuff. We forget I even said.
Speaker 1: That, but you did mention. San Francisco in eighteen forty nine was the first operating restaurant in North America, and by eighteen fifty one, when the population of San Francisco was but thirty four thousand and change, there were seven full time Chinese restaurants open, which you know, for that few people is pretty good for that time period.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not bad.
Speaker 1: Like people liked it clearly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And there's a book that is going to come up or we're going to draw from a lot in this episode is called from Canton Restaurant to Panda Express A History of Chinese Food in the United States by Hi Ming Lao and Leo makes this this point that a lot of like we tend to equate Chinese migrants in the nineteenth century, especially to California, with like railroad workers, maybe miners. We have like a certain idea of what the Chinese migrants were at the time, and that is a I mean, it's pretty stereotypical. It's also pretty narrow. There were a lot of Chinese migrants who made their way over just to feed the people in the Gold Rush of eighteen forty nine in California. They were like, people are going to need food, and we're going to knock their socks off with Chinese food. And so they started to go and open Chinese restaurants. And apparently you could pick out a Chinese restaurant pretty easily because they hung yellow flags outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this is also sort of the kind of right away when racist feelings toward Chinese immigrants started, racist feelings toward their food even started arising out of the gate. In Lao's book, there were some a couple of examples that she cited. One was a criminal lawyer defending a white client following their race riot in eighteen sixty five and told the judge why, sir, and I'm not going to say the racist Chinese name, but they live on rice, and sir, they eat it with sticks. And then there was a pamphlet from American Federation of Labor President Samuel Gompers in nineteen oh two titled Some Reasons for Chinese Exclusion colon Meat versus Rice, American manhood versus Asiatic coolism, and apparently COOLi is a pejorita term for a low age worker. Right, So it's all happening early on.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure. And it's interesting because and we'll talk about immigration and racism, but those two things definitely shaped Chinese food in America in some surprising ways as a matter of fact, Yeah, for sure. So it turns out that the oldest continuously operating Chinese restaurant in the United States is Pekin without a g noodle parlor and where else but Montana, right, And it started out as a general store back in nineteen oh nine, but within two years they added a noodle parlor, the very same noodle parlor that's still opened today. And I guess at some point they ran an illegal gambling parlor out of the basement, but that has since been turned into an old navy.
Speaker 1: Is that true, because that I could believe. Actually, if you you know, I looked at that place to see what it looked like, and it looks like a you know, a Chinese restaurant and a building of an old West Town man exactly what you might think. And there's a big neon sign this is chop suey, And I realized that chop suey is not a dish I've ever had, But chop suey is sort of the beginning of Chinese food in America. That's the dish that first sort of captured young America's attention. And there's some debates on whether or not it's even American in origin. And we're going to talk about chop suey right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know if I've ever had it either, but I think anytime you've ever made like a vague Chinese surfry with chicken and vegeta and maybe like some sort of thickish sauce, you basically made chop suey. Some people say that you can make it with egg, but those people are wrong. For the most part, is the mixture of meat, vegetables of thick sauce, usually with rice. And the name itself not only where it originated, but the name itself is debatable what it means. I remember, I think I might have learned this from Uncle John's bathroom reader, that it meant leftovers in Chinese, so that people from China coming to America would see chop suey house, and they would think it would say like Leftover's house to them. That's not exactly true, but it's not that far off.
Speaker 1: No, that's pretty close actually. Because some people say the name came from Cantonese t sap top suey sui instead of suey. That seems to be an American ice spelling which is mixed bits or odds and ends aka probably leftovers.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Leau, the author of the book, said that it probably comes from chow chop suey or chow chop suey, which some people call. It probably comes from the Cantonese pronouncing a Mandarin chow's zuei chow meaning stir fry and z azui meaning animal intestines. I tend to go with the sap sue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's just my take and it's almost meaningless, but that's where I'm gonna go with. Since it's up for debate.
Speaker 1: I'm with you. I'll be in your camp.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks.
Speaker 1: At least we can hang out and play cards.
Speaker 2: What do you want to play?
Speaker 1: I don't know a lot of card games. I like Jin Rummy.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say gin Rummy too.
Speaker 1: I do love spades. But we need Emily and U me to come along.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair enough. They probably will anyway if we end up in a camp together.
Speaker 1: Because that means zombie apocalypse has happened.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or else the Russians have invaded all a red dawn and you and I are alone in a men's camp, which is really just a fenced off drive in Yeah.
Speaker 1: Soon to die.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's a weird sidetrack a quote that and we're going to explain the origins of this quote. But you may have heard that Chop Suey is an American is as American as pork and beans, and that actually comes from a lawsuit from the early nineteen hundreds. In nineteen oh four, a guy named lem Sen said, you know what, I invented Chop Suey. I made it for a Chinese diplomat who visited in eighteen eighty six. And everybody making this dishos me money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a bold law suit. Sure, I don't even know who he sued.
Speaker 1: I couldn't find it everybody, I guess, so.
Speaker 2: Lem Sen versus all Chop Suey chefs, Yeah, exactly. So he ended up dropping the suit. But The suit left a huge mark on America. I mean like it was reported on. It made the news for sure, and people knew about it. And one reason why it became such a big deal is because at the time, as we saw, there was the Chinese Exclusion Act. So lem Suenn brought his lawsuit in nineteen oh four. The Chinese Exclusion Act was passed in eighteen eighty two. It was the first time the United States had ever passed an immigration law specifically targeted at one nationality. And it also basically laid the foundation for exclusionary immigration laws and much tighter immigration laws than we'd had before that we still have today. But this was super tight. I read when they loosened it up. The quota for Chinese immigrants was one hundred and four Chinese immigrants per year.
Speaker 1: Really wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And everybody was racist and against Chinese at the time, right, So, but people also love Chop Suey by then, I mean love Chop Suey. So lem Sen's lawsuit said, hey, you can keep loving Chop Suey. I invented this in America. It's really an American dish. So you can continue being racist against Chinese immigrants while still loving Chop Suey, You're welcome America, and America said thank you, get out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And he's the one who had the quote it's as an American as pork and beans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in the lawsuit. I think you said it too. I couldn't find that quote. I couldn't find the lawsuit. But even if it's not specifically in the lawsuit, it definitely seems to have developed out of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But it's possible that it was Chinese in origin initially, because apparently there are some dishes from the Pearl River Delta that are pretty similar, and some of the earliest Chinese migrants to the US were from that area. I can't parse out what's so different from Chop suey than any stirfry.
Speaker 2: I don't know either. There's a lot of overlap between Chinese dishes and including authentic cuisine, Yeah, but especially American Chinese. I think it was. It was one of the first. It was almost like an umbrella term for all Chinese dishes in America at the turn of the last century, kind of like smurf but with Chinese food essentially. And I think because it was the first, a lot of dishes that we recognize as like American Chinese developed out of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. I do know that when I was a kid going camping growing up in Georgia, I loved nothing more than taking a can of Lachoi. You know, it's like veggies and sauce, basically.
Speaker 2: Just sipping on it the whole weekend, a lot of water.
Speaker 1: Justice, Yeah, put it my canteen and you know, making some campfire rice and dumping that stuff on top, you know, heating it up and dumping it on top. I thought it was like the peak of you know, fine cuisine in the woods.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I mean that's definitely better than you know, a human finger that you found.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they were. Lachoi was around since the nineteen thirties doing that, you know, canned vegetable sauce. I was gonna say trick, but you know it's a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I mean that's a great explanation of just how crazy people were in America for chop suey. Lachoi could pack it and sell for decades this stuff, and people were nuts for it. Another sign, apparently, was that by the turn of the last century, chop suey houses were so popular they'd started to migrate out of Chinatown. Yeah, which was a huge deal, and I should say in Manhattan specifically. That was a big deal because I think there were a lot of people who are like, I'd love chop suey, but I don't want to go to Chinatown, and these Chinese entrepreneurs said, hey, you don't need to anymore. Here we are at I don't know, so ho right.
Speaker 1: Another like pretty startling factoid is that it was in well this part isn't. It was in the nineteen forty two edition of the US Army Cookbook. But as a result, when US troops were stationed overseas in China and Japan and World War Two, restaurants would put chop suey on the menu to cater to those American soldiers because they came in were like, where's the chop suey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want a hot hamburger and chopsuit exactly. You want to take a break, We're like twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, I'm gonna go ahead and put it in my order for pork fread rice and a girl.
Speaker 2: I'm definitely getting Chinese food for dinner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, shot.
Speaker 2: Shot, all right, chuck, So we're back, and we talked about how immigration laws and racism against Chinese migrants helped shape Chinese food in America. And one of the first ways that it did was that eighteen eighty two Chinese Exclusion Act actually led to a plethora of much more upscale these restaurants. And the reason why is because part of that Exclusion Act is that certain kinds of businesses could achieve merchant status, or the owners of certain kind of businesses they had to be legitimate businesses that were considered kind of higher end, and that if you had merchant status, you could sponsor relatives to come to the United States. And I guess in nineteen fifteen, a court case got Chinese restaurants added to that merchant status clause.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and this came from a historian named Heather Lee, and she makes the cas is like, you know, this addition to that list basically meant you were going to get a lot of like higher grade chop Suey palaces. So the restaurants kind of got nicer, and you had to in order to qualify. You also, if you were an investor and owner, you had to spend a year managing the restaurant as the manager and not like you know, working in the kitchen or something like that. And you've needed, of course, this had to be thrown in there. You needed two white witnesses to vouch for them. But because of these strict rules, you got again these these nicer Chinese restaurants opening up that were qualifying for that merchant status. And then you would get investors getting together and saying, hey, let's start this restaurant. We'll take turns running it for a year and get our family members over here. And as a result, I mean, this is not the only reason, but this definitely helped Chinese restaurants in the US double between nineteen ten and nineteen twenty, and again between nineteen twenty and nineteen thirty, and by nineteen thirty they had overtaken laundries as the largest employers of Chinese workers in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the first third of the twentieth century there was a boom in Chinese restaurants, and in specifically higher end Chinese restaurants. And then another boom happened after the Immigration and Nationality Act of nineteen sixty five, which greatly loosened restrictions on immigration, particularly from China and within a decade of that act, the Chinese American population basically doubled, which sounds eye popping, but don't forget there was only like one hundred and four people coming in a year. So it went from like, I don't know, three thousand to six thousand in a decade.
Speaker 1: There's more than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it definitely was. But the point is is that now you had way more patrons of authentic Chinese restaurants, which meant there were more authentic Chinese restaurants, and then you also had more people who were ready to open and staff more Chinese restaurants, So you had a huge boom in Chinese restaurants again in the sixties to the seventies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And there was an article in twenty fourteen in The New Yorker by Lauren Hilgers, and this was eleven years ago, but I imagine it's not completely different now. But how the labor arrangements work then and probably these days is if there's a Chinese restaurant in the US, there's more than forty thousand back then, and there's probably a few more now. But that's a lot of restaurants generally run by families. But staffed by new immigrants. A lot of them are undocumented, a lot of them apparently are coming from the Fujian province, and they're providing the labor. So what will happen is they'll they'll have a restaurant. A new immigrant will come to town, probably a hub city. I think they concentrated on New York, San Francisco, and Chicago for the article, but any major city in the US probably, and they'll go to a Chinese language employment agency and they'll say, all right, I got a job for you. They'll say this in Chinese, though, go get on this bus, here's the person's name, here's their prone number, go to this restaurant, and you can probably get a job there. And that's how they staff their restaurants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Chuck, you mentioned the at least in twenty fourteen, forty thousand Chinese restaurants in the United States. Yeah, which is impressive in and of itself, But if you compare it to McDonald's, which is you know, the benchmark comparison for US. Yeah, there are thirteen six and twenty two McDonald's in the United States. Wow, versus forty thousand Chinese restaurants.
Speaker 1: There's probably well, there's not, because we know that number two. I was gonna say, there's probably fourteen thousand Panda expresses, but we'll get to that later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's close.
Speaker 1: The long and short of it is was with how the staffing arrangement works is these cooks are moving around a lot. They'll sometimes work at a place for just a few months and go to a different restaurant, maybe for better pay. Oftentimes outside of city centers you can get paid more, which sort of surprised me. I guess it makes sense though, But if you're getting Chinese food for years and years from the same place, a lot of times there will be a different cook every few months, and hopefully you won't even notice.
Speaker 2: Yeah. A lot of the reason you won't notice is because the immigrants from Fujian. I could not find out why the largest waves of migration lately have been coming from Fujian, but they are. But they are coming and buying Cantonese formerly Cantonese owned restaurants from the Cantonese owners who founded them, and they're just keeping the menu the same, because again this is American Chinese. Neither one's making the cuisine necessarily that you would find in their provinces. In China, they're making the American version. So if you have a set menu, you're probably any chef's going to be able to cook this stuff. I think.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now we're going to talk a little bit about General So another classic Chinese dish that I've never had. Oh really, now, I've never had it. I mean maybe i've had it if someone else somewhere and they ordered just a ton of food and I was kind of just dumping all of it on the plate, which is the best way to eat Chinese food. Yeah, but that's something I've never ordered myself. I kind of just stick to my main order and General So's chicken, is not it?
Speaker 2: It's good. It's a are you just sour? No, it's not even sour. It's like sweet and savory.
Speaker 1: It's kind of spicy too, isn't it.
Speaker 2: A little bit? But nothing anybody couldn't handle. I think there's usually sesame seeds on it too.
Speaker 1: It's good stuff, yeah, not like kung paw is the real spicy one.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, and we all know who likes his kung pow spicy.
Speaker 1: There's a funny Judge John Hodgman episode about that too. There's a funny dad, or at least he thought it was funny, and his kids were trying to get him to stop making the same joke over and over. Wherever this guy goes, it could be like a toll booth worker. We'll ask like what kind of ticket he wants, and he'll say, I'll have the Kung paw chicken m hm. And he'll just say that to answer any question asked by anyone ever. Really, and the kids are really annoyed. I think it's hysterical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is pretty funny, for sure, unless you're in a rush, because then you have to ask the question twice.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I could also see how children of that dad might get really sick of that joke.
Speaker 2: Totally deads can be pretty embarrassing, except for this one. Yeah, well not you, of course.
Speaker 1: All right, So what are the origins of General So's chicken?
Speaker 2: Actually, Chuck? There was a guy named Pencheng Wi k U e I. He was from Hunan and he was living in Taiwan at the time as part of the Nationalist government. He was a chef for the Nationalist government who was being visited in Taiwan by the chairman of the US Joint chiefs of staff. So he created a special dish that was in no way resembles what we think of General So's chicken today. It was a very heavy dish, sour, hot, saltya It was just not American. There wasn't fried. But this dish was named after an actual, real Honanese general from the Qing dynasty. His name was Zuo Zong Tang or So Sung Tang, and you get General So from that. I think he was a Minister of Taiwan for a little while. It made sense to Paning, and eventually it got exported to the United States, I think in the seventies, and it just got totally transformed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently if you're in the Boston area, it's going to be called General Gal either Gau or Gao. Did not know that.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that either. But that doesn't sound totally foreign to me, Like, I, well, it sounds a little form, you know what I mean, Like I feel like I've heard that before something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like I have too. So it may exist outside of Boston, or maybe it's you know, just more New England regional, but Chinese fuit is very popular as a delivery thing. I can't remember the last time I actually, actually I can rarely, rarely do I eat in a Chinese restaurant, but I ate in Las Vegas. There's a very popular, very upscale Chinese restaurant in one of the casinos, the kind of place where like a week ahead of time, you tell them you want the duck, that kind of deal. H and our friend, the show in friend of ours, Adam Pranica, made that with Ben Harrison and our booking agent and friend Josh Lincren and all our wives. We all went and had this beautiful, big, big meal. But almost always I'm ordering takeout or delivery Chinese food and grubhub and this is ten years ago, but they said that General Sou's Chicken was the most popular dish that they deliver, fourth most popular overall, and just last year they reported Chinese takeout is the or delivery I guess is the third most popular food overall. I guess behind pizza, and I can't think of what else. I would figure Chinese would be second, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Pizza and take out lasagna maybe yeah, people love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think this guy is from Grubhub named Garfield was reporting on.
Speaker 2: That nice that was a great joke, thank you. So back in twenty twenty three, grub hub did say that there are two cities where Chinese dish made the top ten crab Rangoon and hold your emails, because we know crab Rangoon is actually not a Chinese dish at all, but it is found in just about every American Chinese food place. It was invented by an American the restaurants who are Victor Bergeron, whereas Polynesian themed chain Trader vis Trade named after a city in Burma also known as me and Mar and it has cream cheese, which is as American as chop suey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know I'm retelling this, but I'll have to just quickly say. One of the funniest things from when I was a kid was when I was like twelve years old in a restaurant and there was a gentleman ordering takeout from the counter and after like six dishes in a row, he asked if it had cheese on it, and the very kind restaurant owner kept saying no, no, no, and at the very end he said, in his very sweet broken English, that no Chinese food has cheese on it. And I think the last time I told that story, you and I thought about like a slice of American cheese just on some stir fry. And then we're like, I think we might want to try that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it sounds like something we would try for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very funny childhood memory.
Speaker 2: What else, Oh, hey, there's another reason that some Chinese food became americanized.
Speaker 1: Let's hear it.
Speaker 2: Ingredients, that's right.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of them were changed to fit our tastes, including the ingredient sometimes. One example that Laura found, of course, is beef with broccoli that is not you know, they don't have that kind of you know, as far as I know, they don't have that kind of broccoli in China. What they use is Chinese broccoli or guy lahn, which if you look that up, it looks it's more like bakchoi than what we think of as broccoli.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I was like, where's broccoli from? Turns out the Mediterranean?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It was, according to legend, brought to America by Thomas Jefferson, who grew it experimentally in his garden. And they like to fart. Yep, he said this is gonna make me blow and then it was it took off in popularity in the US in the nineteen twenties. Didn't see why, but it did.
Speaker 1: Believe me, Well, we got to talk a little bit about fortune cookies because that is not Chinese either. That is originally adopted from something called the Japanese cracker, which is a savory thing. But in the early twentieth century, Chinese restaurants were owned a lot of times by Japanese people. Japanese bakeries were making these cookies, and then after Japanese in tournament, a lot of Chinese Americans took over these cookie factories. And that got me down the road of like, well, who's writing the fortunes. There's a guy named Donald Lao who's a CFO of Wantan Food Company, the largest fortune cookie maker in the world, and he was the sole writer, or has been for thirty years of writing these fortune cookies.
Speaker 2: I don't remember specifically talking about him or his name, but there's no way we don't talk about him in our fortune cookie short stuff from twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: If we missed him, I can't believe we would miss that guy's no way. But as a recap he he wrote him for thirty years. He used to write two to three per day. Now it's two or three per month because they have just thousands of them. And he got that job by default because he spoke the best English at the company. And his quote is I am the most read author in the United States.
Speaker 2: I believe it for sure.
Speaker 1: It's pretty great.
Speaker 2: And then we got to talk about a couple of regional specialties. Saint Louis. I remember when we went there. We when we get back to touring again, I really want to go to Saint Louis. Everyone there was crazy nice.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: They had really cool, like regional foods that you couldn't find anywhere else, like good stuff. Oh is this a good town? I want to go back. But I also want to try the Saint Paul sandwich. There is eggfou young, but a sandwich.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you've got an omelet with vegetables, a meat or seafood topped with brown gravy on a sandwich. So you've got mayo, pickle, lettuce, all that stuff. It sounds just totally off the chain, and I really want to try it.
Speaker 1: There's another one, and I don't know if you looked up a picture of this thing. No, I didn't, but if you go to Fall River, Massachusetts, do you have your phone with you or a computer or it means of looking up a photo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, let me do that.
Speaker 1: While I'm doing this, you should check this out. It's called a chow main sandwich. It hails from Fall River, Massachusetts, but it's in surrounding towns there, and who knows, maybe elsewhere in New England. But it is exactly what it sounds like. It's chowmain on a sandwich on like a hamburger bun. But if you look this thing up, it's not a sandwich it is. You can't see the bottom bun. It is just chow main all over a plate. I guess there's a bun underneath, and there's just a hamburger bun sitting on top. Like it is a full plate of chow main with just a fun in there somewhere. It's not the kind of thing you would ever pick up and eat as a sandwich.
Speaker 2: It looks like cousin Nit wearing his hat, actually a little derby hamburger bun hat. Yeah, it's ostentatious to say the least, for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, should we take another break? Yeah, all right, we'll take another break and we'll finish up with an ode to Panda Express and PF Changs right after this shot shot. All right, so we're gonna start off talking a little bit about how PF Changs came about a restaurant that I think I might have been to once. I definitely picked it up a lot as a PA in the film business US for like big production meetings. So I can't speak to its quality. It's supposed to be pretty good, right.
Speaker 2: PF Chang's Yeah, yeah, it's it's good. I mean, especially for comparing chain typical. I would not call it a high end chain, no more than you'd call cheesecake factory a high end chain. Well, it's it's virtually on the same level of dining. Okay, I'm not taking a shot at it. I'm just saying, like, it's not It's not like the place that you went to in Vegas or or Peaking Duck in fall I think Fall Falls Church, Virginia, which is an amazing spot. It's just like you can go to a mall and there might be one attached to it if it's a nice mall. Regardless, it is tasty, especially compared to like Chinese takeout. It's definitely several steps up from that. Okay, I got it's just really hard to like what high end restaurant has three hundreds now, Like, when you have three hundred locations, you're starting to work in economies of scale. It's really tough to keep like any kind of cuisine just top notch in that sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And I want to quickly plug since you mentioned Cheesecake Factory, are again friends of the show and friends in real life. Adam Pranica and Ben Harrison of the Greatest Generation podcast have a side podcast called Factory Seconds where they're working their way through the menu of the Cheesecake Factory, one item at a time.
Speaker 2: Those two could not be any greater American treasures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty great.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: Adam's uncle actually is the voice of the Memphis Grizzlies as the announcer basketball team. And apparently Cheesecake Factory is huge with NBA players, And I was like why, and his uncle he was like, because there's one in every city. It's the same menu. It's a huge menu, the portions are huge, and they and the quality is always the same.
Speaker 2: Economies of scale.
Speaker 1: Well, I was wrong. Apparently they make all their stuff fresh. It's not like bagged food.
Speaker 2: Oh, if you believe that, I actually no, I don't.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: Huh. That is a little surprising. But I mean it's not like I'm hating on cheesecake factory.
Speaker 1: It's just I've never been.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's they have a really varied menu, that's yeah. Yeah, the portions are gigantic and their cheesecakes are pretty great.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I'm going to be a guest on that show at some point. So next time in LA We're going to go to one and then I'm going to be a guest and okay, good. Anyway, A long way around describing PF. Chang's, there was a woman named Cecilia Chiang with an I in there from San Francisco and she and I believe before nineteen sixty five, before that immigration law, opened a high end restaurant there called Mandarin. And she said, no Chop suey in my menu, and no Eggfu Young. All this Chinatown stuff is a no no. And she owned a restaurant, a Chinese restaurant in Tokyo years ago, and her husband got a diplomatic post there, so that's why she was doing Chinese food there and Mandarin opened in nineteen sixty one, and that's where all of a sudden people are exposed to like kung pou, chicken tea, smoked duck, mushue, pork pot stickers, like some of the really good stuff and authentic stuff. Yeah exactly. She sold her son, Philip the restaurant Mandarin in nineteen eighty nine, and he is one of the co founders of PF Changs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Philip F. Chang, but he dropped the I exactly. So PF Chang's pretty large chain, three hundred restaurants. It's definitely nothing to sneeze at. But if you really want to talk economy of scales, let's talk Panda Express. They have two thousand more restaurants than PF Chang's does twenty three hundred in the United States.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, food Court City.
Speaker 2: But yeah, have you had Panda Express?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I have. I used to do it when I was younger. I'm not going to say it's like not any good, but you know, it's Chinese fast food, and it's just not something I would eat now. I would in a pinch. It's not like I'd turn my nose up at it. But I have been there before you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a couple of times. And yeah, it is fast food, and it's great for fast food. It's just such a it's just different. It's not you know, Taco Bell or McDonald's or even like Chipotle or something. It's just Chinese version, the Chinese version of fast food.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like it. Apparently it's a family run business though, even though it's this huge chain, and in the seventies they just had a few little sit down restaurants and it kind of grew very naturally and organically as this family business, which I never knew, which is pretty cool.
Speaker 2: And if you're a fan of orange Chicken, you can thank your friends at Panda Express because they debuted it in nineteen eighty seven and now you can find it basically everywhere. But they were the ones who came up with it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's your order in a Chinese restaurant or for takeout?
Speaker 2: I'm trying some hunan to know because I don't normally eat that and I want to see what it's like. But typically a garlic chicken of some sort. I like savory brown sauces, umami brown sauces, usually chicken. If I'm really feeling crazy, maybe like a happy family or something like that.
Speaker 1: Are you white rice or fried rice?
Speaker 2: White steamed rice?
Speaker 1: M boy, I gotta have that fried rice.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, there's too many peas and fried rice and peas are one of my most hated things on the entire planet.
Speaker 1: Oh I love peas.
Speaker 2: Eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I gotta get that fried rice. I'll get a lot of sweet and sour chicken or ses some me chicken. Got to get the egg roll. I'll take a beef and broccoli if people have ordered it, but that's not my order. But I'll also try a lot of stuff. If I'm at a big group and someone's just ordering a bunch of Chinese food, I'll eat almost all of it.
Speaker 2: Do you ask them first?
Speaker 1: What like what to order? No?
Speaker 2: Can I have some of your orders?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And then you know, if you're in a place not all cities have this stuff. But if you're in a place that has the really good, authentic stuff and you get dim sum or some pork buns or soup dumplings, like all that stuff is great, but you can't find that everywhere.
Speaker 2: No, I really want some Chinese food.
Speaker 1: Now it's gonna happen. That's the first thing I ordered after our week at the beach in South Carolina, after eating you know, coastal seafood, American seafood, I was like, I can eat some Chinese food.
Speaker 2: So America is not the only place that took Chinese food and said here you meat this orange and squeezed it together and then fried it. That's like I said at the outs, That's happened all over the world. And apparently I'm not on TikTok much as an ever, but there was a thing on TikTok a couple of years ago where American people picked up on UK British Chinese food and We're like, what are you guys doing over there?
Speaker 1: Yeah. I didn't see any of that either, but apparently it was pretty funny. Apparently the food in the UK, the Chinese food is a lot different than here in America. It is very popular over there, maybe even one of the top two, maybe even the top food in the country.
Speaker 2: I saw that. It definitely was by a long shot.
Speaker 1: Oh really, Okay, so they love it over there. They will have things like French fries, what they call chips, a lot of curry sauces, which is different than us because there's a lot of great Indian food obviously in England and throughout the UK. And they also have something called a chicken ball, and that's just what they call it. I looked it up. I tried to find any difference. It looks like the exact same thing we get here in like a sweet and sour chicken. It's just a fried, little chunk of chicken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which everybody loves. Even if you don't need chicken, you'll eat that.
Speaker 1: I couldn't determine though from looking at first, if it was ground like a meatball, but it's not. And they're not even usually round. They're just you know, chicken chained. Yeah, like a little chicken finger kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Man. So poor chicken meat has been like subjected to so many different indignantities over the eat, you know, more than any other meat.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So India also has a version of Chinese food that's so popular that some Indian restaurants in the US. I've not seen this, but they'll sometimes have dishes there called Manchurian something or other. Yeah, and that I mean I didn't either, I've never run across that. And then in some cities, if the city's big enough, they might have like full on Indian Chinese restaurants there where it's the Indian version of Chinese, just like if you had an American version of the Chinese food in India, there's probably some sort of cultural exchange, like they open one here, we have to open one there. It's got to be balanced.
Speaker 1: It's contractual, the same for Latin America. In the United States, Chinese Cuban restaurants started opening in New York City, of course, in the nineteen seventies, and then what they call would it be China Latino?
Speaker 2: I'm going with Chino Latino.
Speaker 1: I mean, China Latino is what I want to say, because it sounds so great.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: I just wasn't sure if that was right. But they started opening later on. They're in decline in New York now, but apparently, just like everywhere over the course of centuries, Chinese workers were brought over to Latin America for a lot of reasons, but usually servitude. Sadly, but again, they brought their food with them, and their food existed alongside stuff like Cuban food and Peruvian food, and then they start to blend it together, and all of a sudden you have these cool like sort of mix up dishes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I want to try all of these.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 2: And then apparently also South Africa has Afro Cantonese and that was again developed out of a Chinese community that were brought there as indentured workers back all the way back in the nineteenth century. Basically just like America, and also just like America, as more and more Chinese immigrants have come higher end, more Chinese authentic dishes have kind of become more favorited than just the Afro Cantonese version.
Speaker 1: Afro Cantonese just to my ear, sounds delicious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah again, I said it before and I'll say it again. I really want some Chinese food right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna happen, and we're recording earlier, so it's like creeping onto lunchtime right now.
Speaker 2: Oh are you doing it for lunch? I'm gonna make myself wait until dinner and really ttilate myself.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, no, I can't get it for lunch. I'll uh well, I'll probably do skip lunch and order it for dinner.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 1: But this has inspired me to I've been wanting to do an episode on Cajun food, but it was very intimidating, like Cajun sort of creole stuff because there's so many influences. I was just like, we're gonna screw it up, but this, this is uh maybe more brave.
Speaker 2: Well, if we do Cajun food, we have to consult our good friend and friend of the show, Doug Shasherie.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, m hm, oh that's right Doug.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when he brought us a Boudine balls at our New Orleans show and we ate him on stage.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what a guy. He's great.
Speaker 2: Oh, he's wonderful. So yeah, Plus his last name Sashery, so he knows what he's talking about Cajun food. That's right. Well, since we talked about our friend Doug Shasherie here on the episode, as was predicted back in two thousand and eight. By the way, Chuck, today's the seventeenth anniversary of stuff you should know today. Yeah, happy anniversary, baby.
Speaker 1: Wow, happy anniversary love.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, anyway, onto it, as was predicted back in two thousand and eight. Since we said Doug Shasheri's name, we've unlocked listener mail boy.
Speaker 1: That's about as fan fairy as we get.
Speaker 2: Huh, yeah, we don't. Yeah, we don't do that. Kind of stuff, you know. I mean, we don't do media tours or anything and say look at us, everybody, look at us. You know, we do that every week anyway.
Speaker 1: Who wants to do that? This is a correction. Hey, guys, heard your short stuff on Tulipmania and wanted to point out that Tulipmania is now largely believed to be a myth. I only found out about that a few years ago myself when I heard an interview from the author Anne Goldgar. She discovered the historical reality when she dug into the archives to research her book Tulipmania and Money, Honor and Knowledge in the Dutch Golden Age. The myth was largely promulgated great word by Scottsman Charles Mackie in his book Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds, and he sent along articles from Smithsonian and History dot Com and even Wikipedia that said although McKay's I'm sorry Mackie's book is a classic, citation needed, his account is contested citation needed. Many modern scholars believe that the mania was not as destructive as described A little behind on some of the show's guys. Perhaps others have written in but no one else has written in, Richard, so you're the only one. So way to go.
Speaker 2: I've seen that on the Internet's here there since we released it. But I mean, honestly, Chuck, we used a lot of different sources for that, and yeah, I mean, yes, you can make a case that it was exaggerated, but the idea that it's a myth is I did not run across that, but who knows, and if it was, then a lot of may that we released an episode where we were catfished by.
Speaker 1: History by the tulipmaniacs.
Speaker 2: We'll have to get to the bottom of it. Who wrote that, Richard? Thanks a lot, Richard. We appreciate that. Thank you for sending us straight publicly. And if you want to be like Richard and set us straight publicly, you can send us an email to send it off to stuff podcast at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Stuff you Should Know is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts my heart Radio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.