Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio. It's our two on this Friday. It's a meat Friday. Come on in, stay awhile the music today, favorite TV theme songs. That's Marvin's cookout playlist. It is a meet Friday. Treiger grills fired up. So are we skirt steak street tacos, loaded grilled chicken tacos, pulled pork nachos? Has it better than we knew? Nobody poll question for our two since our one was a little wacky, a little wonky on this program.
Speaker 2: All right, see come August, shoheo Tani will be in La or other. Oh that's the new one in La or other in La in La?
Speaker 3: Get it?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 1: But but the Angels are in Anaheim.
Speaker 2: Well you know what I mean, La proper La rancho La in California.
Speaker 1: Okay, No, because southern California could be the Padres in LA, including the Angels. All right, well, let me get you know some of the details out of the way here eight seven seven three DP show email address Dpadanpatrick dot com, Twitter handle a DP show Say good morning if you're watching on peacock and we have a new affiliate it's Augusta, Georgia Fox Sports ninety four point seven, the all sports format that they have that's new. And Tony Gray thank you, he's the GM there for adding this program to Augusta, Georgia.
Speaker 5: Yes, Tom, do they call themselves the Sports Masters?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, yeah, I'm into it.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, they would probably immediately get a season to sist.
Speaker 1: But yeah, no, yes, yes, we've learned with Augusta. You gotta be careful if you make a T shirt that might infringe on the name or likeness.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing that station's logo doesn't have any specific colors in it. No, no, not, somebody owns them to like Augusta Green.
Speaker 1: Yes, didn't. Wait, so we heard from Tom Brady, We heard from Augusta. Did anybody else that we've heard from?
Speaker 6: Ah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, a couple.
Speaker 1: I think they've been a couple others. Those are the heavies though.
Speaker 5: Okay, well there's been another heavyweight. I think Phil Mickelson's people.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right. We had Phil with the thumb and I go, come on, you know whatever. It's not that you can't copyright thumbs, I know, but it was Phil's thumb. And then they said, you know, I can't believe that you didn't Dan didn't reach out to Phil and ask him about this thumb. He's got two weights, He's got two of them. Yes. Kevin Hart is taking the stage in Vegas for Reality Check, his first stand up special in three years. Stream Reality Check now only on Peacock, which is where you can find this program. Northwestern has a new head football coach, the interim football coach there. They also need a new baseball coach. You know, maybe Northwestern goes the route of the IVY League. Maybe maybe they're not ready for the big time. Maybe de emphasize sports. I think they're raising a lot of money to refurbish the stadium practice facility. Baseball coach got fired. I guess he was abusive as well, and Pat Fitzgerald is going to sue the school he got let go. Now you have an interim head coach. You're not supposed to be good this year. Maybe you deemphasize. You know, there's going to be the haves and the have nots. Maybe you get a head start on everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you are going to de emphasize sports, should you still be allowed in the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: Well that's why you don't want to leave the Big Ten because there's build in money there with that TV.
Speaker 2: Deal, and there's people in that would make a lot of sense that could theoretically join the Big Ten.
Speaker 1: Like Notre Dame. Yeah, yes, I was gonna say Rutgers, but oh they're already there. Yeah, they're already there. So yeah, they're Northwestern of New Jersey really what they're called.
Speaker 7: So the new head coach, interim head coach at Northwestern, David Ronn.
Speaker 5: He has no history there.
Speaker 7: He was at Northern Iowa and the Kota State, Winona State, all these places he just started. So in theory he is he joins after the Pat Fitzgerald era, the hazing era, and he was not involved in any way. He was a timeline works out well for him.
Speaker 1: NFL camps open up next week. Not every camp opens up next week, but I did find that interesting. You would think it would be universal that everybody is going to report on a certain day, or if you say, to teams that were sub five hundred, you get to show up a week before everybody, or if you're in the Hall of Fame game, you get to show up a week before. Phone calls always welcome, Operator Tyler's standing by Buster only, the great baseball reporter for the Mothership. Yes, we'll talk show Heyo Tani, because that will be the story for the next couple of weeks in Major League Baseball. And I do think that there is an outlier, a team that nobody's talking about who could be interested in show hey Otani. So we'll talk to Buster and see which teams he thinks will be on that short list.
Speaker 8: Yes, Marvin, if he gets traded to a random team, can major League Baseball flex games like up Sunday Night Baseball?
Speaker 1: All right? Sure? I guess I don't know they should, Yeah, I guess. I mean the Astros and the Angels are playing this weekend on Sunday Night Baseball. I mean that's a big matchup with Otani. I don't know if he's pitching on Sunday Night, but yes.
Speaker 8: But I'm saying if he gets traded like to the Twins.
Speaker 1: He's not getting traded Twins.
Speaker 8: Well, I know, but just think.
Speaker 1: Of the right Uh yeah, yeah, you'd probably see more of him. Sure, yes, Paul, it'd be great.
Speaker 7: I Otani did something completely opposite, became a free agent and signed with Pittsburgh. You know, like just that was always his dream of some really random move that no one expects.
Speaker 1: You know, I grew up love thing. We are family, and I just want to I want to honor Pop Stargule and Roberto Clemente and Mannie Sengia.
Speaker 7: I'm a more in Milwaukee Brewer guy since I was a little.
Speaker 1: Kid Mark in Indiana. Hi, Mark, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 9: Dan? How you doing.
Speaker 10: The thing with Northwestern? Is the new interim coach? There's a lot of Fitzgerald's old staff left in other positions there. I don't know if they've been ventit or out or what the process is going to be. There might also be some criminal junication with some of the victims, as you mentioned a couple of days ago. The school newspaper did a real good job in bringing a lot of prima facia evidence with the investigtion with what happened in that, and they still got to have a formal investigation and everything and the press conference. But it's interesting if they'll be in a full season this year, a full uh, they might not have the vacate the season because there might also be some criminal implications.
Speaker 1: I think they're going to play football here. I just want to know what direction there. I mean, nobody cares about Northwestern football. We only care because Pat Fitzgerald had been there, he's a former player and had them, you know, playing some bowl games. You know, I get all that, but at the end of the day, nobody cares. Now the allegations and if they come to light then you know there's sensationalized then yes, then people care. Other than not, nobody cares about Northwestern football. Let's see what do we have here, Michael and fort Wayne. Hey, Michael, good.
Speaker 11: Morning, Dan, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 11: Yesterday you all were discussing the greatest unanswered sports mysteries and you mentioned Jordan's retirement to play baseball. Now, whenever the debate of the greatest athlete of all time comes up, one name often rises to the top. Bo Jackson, who is, of course, the only human being to be an All Star in two major North American sports, which he played from nineteen eighty six into the early nineties. Jordan retired from the Bulls in nineteen ninety three to play baseball. My question is, being the extreme competitor that we now know Jordan to be, do you think he was looking at Bo Jackson when he moved to play baseball, and between the two, is it obvious who the better athlete is?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bo's a better athlete. Yeah absolutely. I mean Michael, if he grew up in the baseball environment, would have been a better baseball player. But you know Bo Jackson at football in baseball, hitting a baseball is supposed to be the hardest thing in all the sports hitting a baseball, and Bo was an all star. Michael was a double A talent basketball wise. We know how great he was. Well, what Bo did on the football field where they're allowed to tackle you and beat you up. Now, the Pistons sort of did that to Michael. But Bo Jackson at his peak doing that in baseball and football is more impressive than what Jordan did his basketball career.
Speaker 7: Yeah, pullm Michael Jordan. In that one year minor league baseball, he was double A. It wasn't rookie ball.
Speaker 5: He hit two O two.
Speaker 7: He had I think three homers and fifty one RBI and a thirty stolen bases. He was not the worst hitter on the team by slugging. There's four guys on the team that were with similar at bats at lower batting averages, lower slugging percentage, and way lower on base so like he was not the worst player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but did any of those players make the major leagues who were below Michael Jordan?
Speaker 7: Below Michael, Yes, there was a guy named Joe Hall who hit two oh nine. Jordan hit two o two, So they were right about the same. Uh, and they Joe Hall made the major leagues for a few years, but yeah he was. There was a four guys in the starting lineup that worst batting average in Jordan.
Speaker 1: Well, but I go back to the question I posed either earlier in the week or last week, and one of my students at the full Sales School of Broadcasting said, Hey, what's more impressive what Showey Otani is doing or what Bo Jackson did? And I'm thinking you can make an argument for either one of those with what Bo did to be an All Star in BO Sports and then Otani. Imagine if Otani wins the cy Young and the MVP in the same season. How crazy. But it's possible Bo couldn't sustain it had the hip injury. But what he did when he did it, how he did it was pretty exciting. He just couldn't last either, And I wonder if he played football, he'd be a Hall of Famer. If he was healthy, he would have been a Hall of Famer. Well, that's part of the sport and that position baseball. If he just played baseball, he probably borders on being a Hall of Fame. Like talent, you know, I thought, you see a Puig was going to be that Bo Jackson kind of Oh my god, that guy can do everything, and then all of a sudden, it's like, where did he go?
Speaker 8: Yes, morph is bo Jackson the last mythical figure where everybody has this an insane story about him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I'd say that's true. Yeah, feels like there's a bo Jackson story. You know, when you ask these former athletes, it'll be like, give me your Bo Jackson story. Boom got one. Everybody has a Jordan Boom Trying to think Kobe. There a lot of players, you know that they have their story about Kobe. I know there's not the Lebron. Hey you got a Lebron's story And they go, oh, I remember, you don't hear that. But Kobe and Jordan probably more than anybody in basketball. By the way, the great Jerry West will join us coming up next Tour.
Speaker 5: Yes, Punk, Yeah, Bo Jackson.
Speaker 7: There's a lot of printed stories about him in college baseball because on TV he didn't see it him hitting the lights in the game or something like that. He played four years for the Raiders at running back. He had five hundred and fifteen carries. He averaged five point four yards of carry.
Speaker 5: That would be going down.
Speaker 7: If he had a couple more years, a couple more carries, it would be one of the greatest all time with his there's Hall of famers who averaged four point four yards to carry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he had speed at that size that we had never seen. I mean, Dion was fast and and Darryl Green fast, but they weren't big and fast, and Bo was big and fast. Dion even talked about that. He said he when he tried to tackle him, maybe it was in college. He tried to tackle him, and Bo basically put his hand on Dion's helmet, you know, the evangelist, you know, I'm gonna I'm gonna heal you and put his hand on his helmet there, and uh, Dion realized there was and I always thought that there was friction between Dion and Bo, that Dion was trying to be Bo by playing baseball. Already a great football player, and then he wanted to play baseball. And from what I was told at the time that you know, Bo didn't like that. Dion was trying to be like Bo. Whether that's true or not, but I was told that, and Uh never asked Bo about that or Dion, But we did talk to Dion about Bo, and he did have a funny story about him. Uh, Dale, and Iowa, Hi, Dale, what's on your mind?
Speaker 12: Thanks for taking my call, Dan, Yeah, five of beefy two twenty five. So when you're serving food today, you might you still have time to probably serve Ryan or restraining order that way you get.
Speaker 4: Him out of there.
Speaker 3: And TI.
Speaker 12: So calling in for the playlist? Yeah, two and from My Youth Hawaii five vo and then the Green Hornet with Bruce leeus Cato al hurt with that trumpet. Those two were always the ones that I immediately if I was taking a nap, those are the one woke me up, all right?
Speaker 1: Thank you, Dale? Yeah, Marvin's cookout playlist. And really, I think it's the first theme song that you remember humming or that I remember. That's what I picked for my my theme song. I'll have that for you coming out here. And we already had Pauli's and already had Fritzi. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Point, we have the Bo Jackson story. Deane Sanders about a decade ago, was on the show and told us his Bo Jackson.
Speaker 3: Moment, all right, when I played for Florida State as a freshman. True story, bowl was it? Alburn back when the back to Brent Fullard. Probably the best hand of the running backs I've ever seen in college. These guys are unbelievable. And you know, you know you heard of Bo Jackson. You're kind of in awe. As a young collegiate. I'm seventeen years old playing Florida State eighteen at the time. Just during eighteen, Bow goes behind the huddle and Alburn and throws his hands up as if he was sickly designed the crowd to get it up. They start schearing and applauding. And I was playing left corner. Bow got a sweep to his left away from me and hit it, I mean hit it, and he was gone. I came out of nowhere because that was I could fly, came and got him, ran up on him like it was no other With his right arm. He extended it, placed it on my helmet like as if he was praying for me, palming my helmet and stiffed me down and kept going into the end zone like I wasn't even there. That was my Bo Jackson moment.
Speaker 1: So good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I could fly, but he hit it because I love end that same story, Dion is able to tell you how great he was.
Speaker 1: Yes, he was, and that he was no match for Bo Jackson. That's how great he was. More phone calls coming up, but up next buster O me and the topic of conversation here for well has been and will be for the next two weeks Show Heyo Tani and the Angels, and we'll run down the list the possible suitors who could be interested in show Heyo Tani. That'll be right after this from the Dan Patrick Show. You've heard CEO Howard Mackler of Innovation Refunds explain how his company has helped thousands of small businesses with their ERC tax refunds. And if you're a small business owner who started filing for the ERC tax refund and got stuck halfway, good news is on the way Innovation Refunds. Hears it all the time and they can help you finish it today, even if you started filing with another company. This is what Innovation Refunds does. They have a team of independent tax attorneys experienced in understanding ways that different kinds of companies can claim tax deductions. As a result of the pandemic, Innovation Refunds has been helping eligible businesses claim their erc tax refunds. They've returned over five billion dollars. Go to Innovation Refunds dot com. See if you qualify no upfront charge. They don't get paid unless you get paid. But you have to get started and Innovation Refunds can help you. You can call one eight four to three Refunds one eight four to three Refunds or go to Innovation Refunds dot com. Good luck. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 8: Growing Up and Our family will be like Man Family Ties. Whitist Show Blackest theme.
Speaker 5: Song, Yeah that was the original name of the show.
Speaker 4: I like that.
Speaker 1: Whitest show blackest themes?
Speaker 13: Did you hear that?
Speaker 9: Soul?
Speaker 8: We were like, what will we do?
Speaker 5: Michael J.
Speaker 8: Fox comes up, No, no, no, Marty McFly is.
Speaker 1: The young Republican. Oh yeah that's right, Yeah, Paul.
Speaker 7: That's one of those people who went from not being known whatsoever to an absolute star in about six weeks. It's like Eddie Murphy and SNL. I remember when Alex Pakeaton, the character on Family Ties. He was very popular, real fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then uh, what was the other was he Spin City? Was he on that too?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did a couple of them. But then you know Back to the Futures where it was like that's that's what he went global. Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, he did a story at the interview with Michael J. Fox actor and he said he almost couldn't do Back to the Future because of the TV show. At first he was gonna be kept out of it. And his actor named Eric Stoltz remember him from the eighties and nineties. He was already shooting episodes like the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he shot scenes, scenes.
Speaker 7: And then somehow they didn't like it and they found a way to get Michael J. Fox two months to shoot it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was shooting both. He was shooting Family Ties back to the future. But man, history could have changed a little bit there with Eric Stoltz, and that's.
Speaker 2: Not a good sign if you're already shooting and there, let's stop down.
Speaker 1: I know this isn't working. That's crushing, man, That is that is crushing. I don't know has Eric Stoltz addressed that, because I think Michael J. Fox talked about it a little bit. But Eric Stoltz was in Mask. He was in Pulp Fiction.
Speaker 5: Yeah, some kind of wonderful John Hughes movie movie, but.
Speaker 1: He was in He was the drug guy who has to bring Uma Thurman back to life and pulp Fiction a great role, yeah, Lance, Yeah. And then Rosanna Arquette is in the scene with him. That's his girl, that's his uh, his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those are great cameos that it's such a small role by both of them, but man, are they both so great in it?
Speaker 1: All right, we'll get to more phone calls coming up here. Buster Olney a great reporter and senior writer for the Mothership Sunday Night Baseball. Sunday Night Baseball Astros Angels coverage starts at seven Eastern on the mother Ship.
Speaker 9: Let me.
Speaker 1: Let me start there with show Hey Tani. It feels like it's the only story in baseball. How big is the coverage going to get with show Hey Tani over the next two weeks?
Speaker 6: Buster, Uh, it is going to dominate the sport where the question is going to be asked every day.
Speaker 4: You know, have you heard anything about the Angels putting the word.
Speaker 6: Out that they're ready to talk about Otawni? You know, Arti Moreno in the end, in this decision, it's not going to be Perrymanassi and the general manager you know this. I mean, it's going to be the owner, Arti Moreno, who said in spring training that he was not going to trade O'tawni as long as they were contending. Well, we're going into this two week period where they're chased. They're going to be facing teams that they're chasing. They start out with the Astros, then they play the Yankees, and a few series later they played the Toronto Blue Jays, and then they face the Atlanta Braves before the trade deadline, and at some point in those last seventy two to ninety six hours we should here, we probably might hear from Arti Moreno about whether or not he's going to trade o'tawni, and if he is traded, you talk about a frenzy. You know, idiots like me are going to be talking about this twenty four hours a day.
Speaker 1: Let's look at the possibilities here, because we do. I know there's a lot of speculation. There's probably wishful reporting for people in the media, But if you were saying how many viable candidates could trade for show Heyo Toni.
Speaker 4: Not as many as people think. Right A.
Speaker 6: He's making thirty million dollars this season, which means that to take him on for the last two months, you're taking on ten million dollars, and you're giving up a boatload of prospects, you know, young major league ready players, and they're just not a lot of teams who necessarily would entertain that. For example, if the Dodgers have made some of the biggest moves at the trade deadline over the last six seven years, Manny Machado, for example, what I'm hearing from general managers is they don't know if the Dodgers this year would do that type of move. I think the Yankees absolutely would be all in, which makes sense to me because you've got Aaron Judge and Garrett Cole and gen Carlos Stan essentially being middle aged in their major league careers, this is their opportunity to win. The Texas Rangers are competitively relevant for the first time in a decade. They're a team that might be in and maybe a wild card would.
Speaker 4: Be the Tampa Bay race.
Speaker 6: You know, their front office is not typically a team that would spend the kind of money and the resource package.
Speaker 4: But on the other hand, they had such a.
Speaker 6: Great first half before hemorrhaging ground toward the back end leading the All Star Break, and maybe they would be uniquely aggressive like when Freddie Freeman was a free agent. They finished second in that bidding, behind the Dodgers. So I think those are three teams to watch. It might be one or two others, but not nearly as many as what people think.
Speaker 1: I thought the Giants just because of the location. They were all in on Judge and Carlos Korea. Could the Giants be a wild card in this Yes.
Speaker 6: But I would say again this scouting reports provided by general managers around the sport. Far han z Aiety runs their Baseball operations department. This is not the type of move that he would typically make. Where again the combinations of dollars which they have a ton of. He didn't sign Judge, they didn't sign Korea, and the prospects that's going to be required. And you know, I think afar Han, in a clear eyed moment, you know, he'd probably asked himself the question, are we close to being a championship caliber team?
Speaker 4: And I think the honest answer at this moment would be no.
Speaker 1: Have the Angels made an offer.
Speaker 6: I don't know if they've actually put a number out there, because, as you know, you know, the way this works is they essentially approach the agent and ask the question, are you ready to hear a number?
Speaker 4: Are you ready to negotiate? And they get fended off.
Speaker 6: Scott Boris has made a career of doing this, and I suspect that a similar conversation has taken place between the Angels and Otani's agent, Des Bilelo sometime in the next six In the last six.
Speaker 4: Months, I asked this question in the last forty.
Speaker 6: Eight hours, Hey, any sign of any last negotiation where the Angels go to Otani and say, look, we're ready to put a big number in front of you.
Speaker 4: Are you ready to hear that? In the answer, I get back with no, which makes sense.
Speaker 6: I mean, he's this close to free agency, of walking into this perfect storm of desperate big market bitters, Dodgers, Mets, you know, Giants, you mentioned Mariners, maybe the Padres, maybe the Yankees. Why not play it out when you're this close to free agency?
Speaker 1: All right, I'm gonna make you already moreno, what do you do?
Speaker 4: And if I'm already moreno, not sleeping because on.
Speaker 6: One hand, it's pretty clear that the best baseball move is to trade him to get the prospects back. But on the other hand, why do we know the name Harry Frasy only for one reason? He was the guy who delivered this singular talent Boston into the hands of the New York Yankees. If you're already moreno, olytically with your fan base and maybe for your legacy, the easiest thing to do is to wait till the fall, give an offer to Otani. If he turns it down, and that's what people expect that he's going to do, then you're off the hook. If you deliver him out of town for prospects, that's going to be your legacy forever. It's why last summer I think when the front office of the Angels did its due diligence, they talked to other teams, they collected information, took it to Artie. From what I understand, Arty went crazy, like he was furious that they entertained the idea of trading Otani.
Speaker 4: My gut is that's where he lands in the end.
Speaker 6: Especially, I mean, Otani's having the greatest season we've ever seen. He's on a pace at fifty six homers, drive in one hundred and twenty five runs, strike out two hundred and thirty five guys, and you're going to trade that guy in the middle of that season for Arty. I think it's a lot more complicated than, Hey, what's the prospect package we get?
Speaker 1: We're talking to Buster only ESPN Sunday Night Baseball reporter, senior writer. Coming up Sunday Night, it'll be the Astros and the Angels. How long have you been to ESPN?
Speaker 4: Twenty years, just past my anniversary, just in June.
Speaker 1: And you were a baseball reporter, baseball writer and then you made the transition. How difficult was the transition to go from print to being on TV?
Speaker 4: Extremely difficult?
Speaker 6: And I get asked the question all the time when I speak in front of journalism students and your name always comes up because I tell the story about the first time I did a hit on SportsCenter with you. It was the first time I had ever met you, and of course I had a lot of nervousness. My heart ray was like two hundred. I got make up for the first time to go in studio, and I walk in and the stage manager put me in front of a camera what's known as a single shot, and I was relieved because I had done that before. It's a familiar ground for me. And then the show goes to commercial sixty seconds and all of a sudden, five cameras and you come moving toward me. You got your great TV voice, your comfort level that I'll.
Speaker 4: Never have, and you're like, hey, Buster, how's it going?
Speaker 6: And all I'm thinking about is, oh my god, where am I supposed to look? And you were very funny because you're kind of chatty, and you're also like, it's very easy. You look at the jib and then you come back to me, and then you look at camera one, you give your answer, then you come back to me, and then you look back at the GYP seconds and I'm on airon you asked me a question about Hobby Lopez signing with the Orioles, and I forgot everything. I forgot who he was, I forgot what city he was going to play for. I got forgot what position he was going to play. You know, you've seen broadcast and it was the flop set, you know scene that was me with about thirty more seconds. Thank god they got me off air in time, and you ushered me out of the studio, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: And I was met by Chuck Sullaturo.
Speaker 6: It was this, you know, great editor for ESPN for so many years. He met me and he said, don't worry about it. You know you'll you'll figure it out. We got you free your information. And so in that time have been able to reduce my heart rate from like two to eighty. It was in that moment too, now probably about one ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's tough being a talking hairdoo buster. Oh man, if you had to make a World Series pick today, who would it be?
Speaker 6: You know, I say the most dangerous team in baseball right now would be the Philadelphia Phillies, which is really odd because you know, the Braves have been playing out of their minds They've actually gained games in the standings over the last over the Phillies the last month. But since June third, the Phillies are twenty three and nine. They have a two nine six ERA. Their pitching has come together dramatically. They have an ERA more than half a run better than any other team. And you know, Dave Dombrowski had a Baseball ops. If they have holes before the deadline, they're going to fill them. They haven't seen the best out of trade turner. Rice Harper hasn't hit for power yet he will eventually. That's why I think the Braves head of Baseball ops Alexanthopolos, he needs to fix that pitching staff and plug holes. They're okay, haven't got Max Freed back yet, but at some point when they do, He's got to identify pitching because I think the Phillies are a really dangerous team in the postseason with the front of their rotation.
Speaker 1: What about the American.
Speaker 4: Boy, I would have told you a month ago that it would be the Tampa Bay Rays. I'm kind of conflicted now.
Speaker 6: I do feel like that if the Yankees make a big move, as much as they're struggling now, if they get judged back. This is their best postseason pitching staff that I think they may have put together in the last five or six years, because that bullpen is totally dominant. Rodin is back, you got Garrett Cole. Let's play it out. Let's say they do give up the players to get Otani, that would be the team to beat in the American Lake.
Speaker 1: But that added pressure on Judge then to come back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there is.
Speaker 6: But I also believe that the way the Yankees culturally their players, they always play the long game. You know, teams will often try to rest players back from injuries. The Yankees always consider to be October part of their season, so I think.
Speaker 4: They're going to slow play it.
Speaker 6: They'll follow his body because, let's face it, given the calendar, if he has one setback, then that's it.
Speaker 4: He's done for the year.
Speaker 1: Buster, are great to talk to you is always thanks for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dan, always fun to talk with you.
Speaker 1: Buster only ESPN Sunday Night Baseball and he's part of the festivities this Sunday night. It'll be the Astros and the Angels. I told you there was a surprise team, Tampa Bay Rays, and you'd think, well, small market are they going to be able to afford him? And I thought that that was interesting. You know, you have the usual suspects here with the Yankees and the Dodgers, maybe the Padres, maybe the Giants. Feels like there's five teams that but you have to have you got to be able to afford him. But you also don't have to have the prospects to give to the Angels here. So it's not just hey, we're gonna pay you all this money. No, we're gonna pay you all this money, and we got to give you prospects here. Yeah, Pauling the.
Speaker 7: Highest payrolls in baseball right now. Mets are one, Yankees two, the Padres are three, the Philadelphia Phillies are four. Dodgers and Angels are both fifth and sixth. Then you go like Toronto, Atlanta, you gotta go. Tampa Bay is twenty eighth in salary team salary at seventy three million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be a shocker if they were in the in the race for show, hey, TONI Yeah, And I left out the Mets too, especially with their owner and disappointing year. Disappointing year for the Padres and the Mets when you consider how much money they spent. A couple of phone calls Tom in North Carolina. Hi, Tom, what's on your mind today? Hey?
Speaker 3: Tom?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I do have a conspiracy, a sports conspiracy or mystery you guys are talking about. But first I wanted to give your heads up. Me and Doug in North Carolina. I'm going to head north because James in Virginia. You'll be up there sometime this afternoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, if you do, Ryan and Honolulu, Austin and Virginia, then everybody gets a pie to the face. All right, A good deal, Okay.
Speaker 9: All right, Dan. So my conspiracy theory is a lot of these conspiracies could involve Jordans. I was looking online. Is Michael Jordan the biological father of Jimmy Butler?
Speaker 1: Hey, I don't know, Tom. Probably not going to spend a lot of time this weekend thinking about that. Although I saw where Jimmy Butler could be dating. Who is he dating? I just saw this where I went, oh, well, yeah, Pauline Shakira, Yes, yeah, they had it. They had a cozy dinner in London, all right, yeah.
Speaker 5: I found multiple reports of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, all right, yeah, and everybody say the same thing. Him still wasn't Tom Brady also in that in the mix Shakira, I think they went to a Formula one race. No matter where Brady goes, if he's in the vicinity, I think they're they're trying to pair him with Emily Ratkowski. Well he was just getting paired with a Kardashian as well. Yeah, I'm mistaken. Yeah, all right, Yeah, I think Tom needs to find like a school teacher, you know, somebody who's on the school board, you know, some something that's a little bit you know, just not as fast, you know, slow down a little bit. Yes, I totally agree.
Speaker 7: It's like so cliche, just you know, find someone like a normal human being, doesn't have to be famous person with famous.
Speaker 1: Person all the exactly are you still eating peanuts? That just might be by certainly sounds like you're eating peanuts.
Speaker 8: I was before about Yes, Marv, he said, yeah, I can have a school teacher, but Kim Er Emily can dress like a school teacher.
Speaker 1: Whoa and Friday Fritzy it's marvinul Yeah, the Whitest Show and the Blackest theme song. We'll take a break, We're back on to this. Thanks for listening to The Dan Patrick Show. Podcast. Be sure to catch us live every weekday morning nine until noon eastern six to nine Pacific on Fox Sports Radio, and you can find us on the iHeartRadio app at FSR or stream us live on the Peacock app.
Speaker 14: Hey, it's Ben, host of The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller. Would mean a lot to have you join us on our weekly auditory journey. You're asking, what in God's name is the Fifth Hour? I'll tell you it's a spin off of the Ben Maler Show, a cult hit overnights on FSR.
Speaker 1: Why should you listen?
Speaker 14: Picture if you will a world will We chat with captains of industry in media, sports, and more every week explore some amazing facts about human nature and more. Listen to The Fifth Hour with Ben Mather or the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcast, or wherever you get your podcast.
Speaker 1: Favorite TV show theme songs Seaton O'Connor picks succession. You're damn right, O.
Speaker 2: Great theme song? Great open yep, okay, great. We're so good that you watch it every episode? You don't even fast forward through it.
Speaker 1: Oh when they allow you to skip the recop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know how?
Speaker 2: Now you can just skip it like Dame of Thrones is too long, so like I would jump forth, you know ahead in that one and this one. I watch it every single time. It's like a hype song.
Speaker 1: By the way, Dan Patrick Takes a Gamble the popular podcast with Dylan the graphics guy, Shayan Irving and Bad Larry And we recorded an episode yesterday and we did get around to talk and gambling. But Dylan wants to enter the Nathan's Hot Dog Eating Contest. And then I hear from Dylan. Dylon goes, I think Joey Chestnut has past his prime, and I'd like to try to find a way to get into next year's hot Dog Eating Contest. I'd like to I'd like to try my hand. Then, well, why don't you enter next year? I don't, Well, I.
Speaker 7: Need to figure out how that works, because obviously I'm sure there's a vetting process and.
Speaker 11: Yeah, there's a whole minor league system set up for sure.
Speaker 4: Out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got to go start out in like double A. I like the Applebeats. So that's the podcast available everywhere Apple Podcasts, Spotify, and Instagram at DP. Takes a Gamble A lot of fun with these guys. We're gonna play the show. Hayo Tani game. It's a two part game, and here's your host, Pauli Pamps.
Speaker 5: I'm sure we have custom music for this maybe. Yeah, I've heard this before.
Speaker 1: Man, it's the show. Hayo TONI game a.
Speaker 5: Little complex dance.
Speaker 1: So stay with me, all right?
Speaker 7: Where will show? Heyo Tan be playing in August? Who would like to first in August this year?
Speaker 1: Todd? Go first? Still with the Angels, all right, see no O'Connor Dodgers, Marvin Dodgers. I'm gonna go Angels.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna go Angels. Where would we play? Show here? Time to be playing in April?
Speaker 1: Ky Todd, I'll start with you. Still with the Angels, okay, Seaton, still with.
Speaker 8: The Dodgers, Marvin Cincinnati Stock Dodgers.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say, still with the Angels.
Speaker 5: I'll go to the New York Yankees.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's the entire all that's entire Okay, Now, none of us remember what you picked?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, and then say that we called it once. Yeah, I told you. I mean I told you that.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 1: You know what if you do this long enough, for as many hours as as we do it, and then you'll make a prediction. And then you'll go, God, is that counter to what I said like three weeks ago? Sometimes and it changes, but you forget because you feel strongly about this. A couple of weeks ago, I'm like, they got to keep him. They have to know that he wants to stay there. You have to have some kind of inkling. I just can't imagine being in the same building you're running the team that Artie Moreno doesn't go up to show hey and go help me out here. I want you to get paid. Do we need to go to free agency?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 1: I want to build around you. I want to continue to do this, And how can I do that? Like, wouldn't you do that? Wouldn't you say? Just help me understand? And then he might go, you know what, talk to my agent. And then if that's the case, then I go, Okay, Then I got to I got to start thinking like a businessman. As much as I love having him, and you got lucky that you got him, because the Dodgers should have had show Aotani a couple of times when he was in Japan, but this time around, now you got to start thinking about the franchise. Gampum.
Speaker 7: One thing that stuck out to me about what you asked by Stroll, only have they made him an offer? He goes, well, Dan, I don't know that, but he goes, there might be a situation where the agent says, we're not prepared to accept offers at this time, where they can't even get the negotiation process started. There's no negotiation, Like they want to go to free agency so badly that they will not have any conversation.
Speaker 1: But if that's the case, then you say, all right, if you're going to do that, then we have to do what's best for us. Yeah, Like, at some point you have to call somebody's bluff and just say do you want to be here? Because if you do, we'll do everything possible to make this work. But if you don't, you want to take it to free agency. Now, you leave us as no choice because we may lose you. If you really love this team, this owner, this ballpark, this environment, help us, and if not, then we have to start looking at a trade partner. You don't like it, you know, keep in mind, the Red Sox didn't get players back for Babe Ruth. He was purchased Dad. You know, it's not like you've got you know, seven players, five players. It was just a transaction.
Speaker 3: What was it?
Speaker 1: One hundred thousand dollars?
Speaker 5: Yeah, anywhere?
Speaker 7: They said about one hundred and twenty five all told, which at that time was monstrous.
Speaker 1: Uh Al in Atlanta, Hi Al, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 11: Good morning, Dan.
Speaker 13: I also happened to be up in Exit in New Hampshire and when we heard Ryan and hall Lui was coming by.
Speaker 9: We hopped in the car to make this three hour drive in two hours.
Speaker 13: So we were wondering if we could come in too.
Speaker 1: Of course you can't.
Speaker 11: I'm kidding, Dan, Oh, I'm kidding.
Speaker 13: I'm tell a thousand miles south of ye.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 13: The reason I'm calling in today is there's an ongoing dispute between myself and my cousins in Seattle, and for the last six years we have been arguing about what is the worst way to lose to the Patriots in the Super Bowl, and we need you and the dan Nets to end this argument once and for all.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Malcolm Butler or twenty eight to three? Yeah, which one was the worst? Twenty eight to three? I'm sorry now, Yeah still hurts. Yeah, twenty eight to three, because all you have to do is kick a field goal. Don't lose any yards. Kick a field goal to score game. Brady's not bringing you back from that. You had it, You had it. Then you go throw a pass, then you get sacked. Now all of a sudden you're out a field goal range. Now you give Tom the ball and some time ball game twenty eight three. Yeah, poem.
Speaker 7: Seahawks fans thought they were winning the Super Bowl for about two or three minutes and then it got taken up front of him. Falcons fans were about an hour of dining out, like we're gonna beat We're gonna smoke the Patriots. They went to halftime the whole third quarter they were celebrating probably for an hour.
Speaker 5: We're gonna smoke the Patriot.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Then then you get to the who's gonna be m v P? Like you're already at that that stage, you know that point of the game. It's halftime. Who do you who do you think? Falcon? Who's the m v P? Matty Ice?
Speaker 5: Are we gonna score forty or we just go fifty?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, we're really we're gonna embarrass them. This could be the biggest, you know, blowout in Super Bowl history. The Great Jerry West will join us coming up,