Speaker 1: Hazes kind of covers the Braves for the athletic joins us again, Haz's great to have you on the show.
Speaker 2: Where are we at here? Braves are looking a little dicey right now, and it's.
Speaker 1: Like, Okay, they've started off so well, they'll be fine, but wait, the Phillies are on a heater, so add all of this up and suddenly they're only two and a half games clear of Philadelphia. Is there panic down in Atlanta? I've always said it's a jaded fan base that that's so much winning. So are they freaking out the fan base?
Speaker 3: Are fans freaking out?
Speaker 4: Of course they're freaking out, you know when you see a double digitally turn into a two and a half game lead. I think that there's enough panic and there's enough concern to be able to react the way Bravestans have felt. And you know, obviously I think that's well warranted. But I think the feeling within the clubhouse it's a little bit different. Like I'm going to go as far as say it's a little too nonchalant in my opinion. You know, I've talked to a couple of players the clubhouse, and a lot of them say It's just baseball.
Speaker 3: It's just baseball, that's all it is.
Speaker 4: You know, if this was a slump at the beginning of the season and we got hot the way they did, you know, at the beginning to where they're at now, people will talk about, you know, how great the Bravees turnaround's been going so far.
Speaker 3: You know, to be fair, you know.
Speaker 4: I've obviously never played any Major League baseball at all, whatsoever. I've never been around for one hundred and sixty two games to cover a team in general as a whole. So I mean, it could be could be pointed towards baseball. But at the same time, you know, I you know, I think anybody on any team would be disappointed to see your lead go from almost a twelve eleven game lead to a t and a half game lead as your you know, division opponent is starting to ramp up and stuff like that. You know, this is right before the All Star Game, and honestly, you know, I would go as far as to say that if the Brave's bullpen hasn't been as dominant as it has all a year, I think there's a really good shot that, you know, they might not have been able to you know, you know, still be within the division lead right now. So I think it's kind of interesting the way to see things have gone on. I remember when I first took over the beat, you know, I was telling everybody it's good right now because they're winning. But the but the toughest challenge is going to be when this team is slumping it. Right now, they're slumping pretty bad.
Speaker 5: Hey, so you weren't there last year the whole year, correct? You just started this year. I remember when you came on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a month and a half ago.
Speaker 6: Okay, a month and a half ago.
Speaker 5: Did you hear any rumblings of isn't this why they brought in Walt Weiss? So we didn't have these swoons where we didn't have these times where it was like what you characterizes nonchalant. Doesn't Walt Weiss bring that like fighter's mentality a little bit too?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 4: When I asked Walt Weiss on Sunday, I haven't been with the team in Atlanta right now because I'm back home visiting California. But you know, in the time that I asked, IIM mean, I straight up asked him on Sunday. You know, well, you know, you guys went from a double digit league to at the time it was a three game lead. I mean, how frustrating is that he said, I could care less what the lead is right now, you know that he doesn't care about anybody by themselves and stuff. And I think it really has been attributed to to you know, to just you know, the stretch of a long season. I think Walt does have that, you know, I was actually working on the story at Base America about just the impact that you know, what Weiss has had, you know, with this team, just a specific scenario, specific circumstance that they're involved with, you know, and a lot of people say that he's a no bs no type of guy that's gonna get stuff done, and a lot of the people, a lot of the people in the clubhouse speed off of that. So I think I think it's definitely the right guy that they have in charge. It's a guy that has a lot of familiarity with some of these guys that've been in the organization, you know, as you know, seven or eight years at this point too, around the same time that he was brought in to you know, be part of the staff. So I think I think it's definitely the right guy to be able to kind of guide him through this stuff. You know, a guy who's coached, you know, some pretty abysmal teams when he was with the Rockies is also the guy who's also played through all different you know, eras of baseball and stuff like too. So there's no doubt that wal Wiss is the guy to definitely push him through through this slump in just this entire season as a whole.
Speaker 7: Okay, so we know they're struggling. They had a really good start. Now they're struggling. Talk to me about needs. What do they need? Eventually once his trade, that line comes on, because I feel like they're going to be in it and want some people talk about the number one need this team really needs to get them over the hump to win this division.
Speaker 6: It's starting pitching, you know.
Speaker 4: And I think once you saw the Brave starting pitching, not you know, performed that they were at the beginning of the season, I think that's when everything went hand in hand to the struggles that they were able to get go. Look, I mean Chris Sale, Chris Sale is going to be Chris Sale. I think there's no necessarily, you know, concern about him. You know, He's the guy that's going to lead the rotation throughout the entire year and especially into the playoffs, you know, with this team's aspirations, but you look at everybody else. Yes, they lost Spencer Strider, but Spencer Strider wasn't performing like vintage Spencer Strider. You know, after everything that he had gone through. They may not get him back until September. Anything. Grant Holmes Gang, get past the fifth Indium and he'll give you five solid Aliens. But that's about is Martin Perez. You know, I think it's been really impressive. I think, you know, a guy that just continues to show up and stuff like that. I know he had a blip yesterday, but I mean this Martin Perez necessarily a guy that you want at the forefront, you know, when you're pitching meaningful games in October. I don't know about that. So I think, as I've said right now, the biggest thing is starting pitching. You know, they have to go, I think for more than you know, it has to be at least a pair of really good starters to be able to kind of bolster them down the road. Because outside of Chris Sale, you know, Bryce Hilda had a fantastic start, but it just hasn't been the same over the course of the past over the past month in general, So I think the need for starting pitchings and is important.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I know they've been linked to Sonny Gray when Spencer Strider went on The Angeless Sunner. Gray was one of the guys that I mentioned as a guy that potentially could fit in within the Braves organization. But as we seem too, the Braves have started to get dabbled into the tark school ball sweet sticks. So I think they definitely have the farm system to be able to make those moves, whether it's for schoolbol or anybody else. But it definitely has to be starting pitching. That's I think number one need at you know, once the trade deadline approaches.
Speaker 7: How about bullpener? Sorry, Kratzy, I want to go to the bullpen? You know, how about the bullpen needs Rob Suarez? Robert Suarez went down, talked to me. Are they in the mood to look for one of those pieces too?
Speaker 4: You know, I think if Robert Swarz was an injury, I wouldn't have suggested, you know, another bullpen piece. But now you know, I think that it's important, especially with the with the injury that Suarez is dealing with right now, and you know, I think they have Diddy or Flints who's gonna do a really good job in my opinion, stepping up into that, you know, setup guy, eighth inning guy, seventh inning guy, and Dylan Lee two. I mean, has been one of the best left handed relievers in all the game. But I don't think it's enough you know, attention with what he's been doing so far. But I think there definitely should be a little bit of a push, you know, especially as they start to discover maybe how longer Robert Swarz is going to be out more because I mean, Robert Suarez, you know, was potentially the best reliever in the game, you know, before the injury going down. So you know, I think I think, you know, bullpen arms, especially once you get into October.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're you know, it's not a leeway where you're starter.
Speaker 4: You know, you're gonna try to get good five innings, five six innings for them. Know, if they're not performing in the second or the third inning, you're gonna go to the bullpen right away.
Speaker 3: And I think at the end of the day.
Speaker 4: Pitching gets you so far, whether it's the starting rotation or the bullpen, and you know these late months of the season, especially into the playoffs, so I think it would be wise for him to get another guy.
Speaker 5: Hi serious, I know you weren't with the team, but who was the best pitcher on the Braves starting rotation in twenty twenty four when they missed the playoffs.
Speaker 3: This is going to look really bad on me when they missed.
Speaker 6: That's why. Yeah, that's okay, Chris.
Speaker 3: I was like, I thought it was a trick question. I was like, it has to be Chris Sale.
Speaker 5: But somebody had a one nine to nine er and that was Ronaldo Lopez. Are the Braves excited about what they've seen from Ronaldo Lopez or the leary of the fact that he didn't throw at all last year and if he's going to do well, they can't just ride him the rest of the year. But you just said they really need starting pitching.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, with him getting the spot starting in San Francisco on Friday, I think it's a good first assessment. I think the most important thing is, like the velocity just isn't as what it was beforehand. I think, you know, there was a couple of excor base shits that he gave up that came on you know, balls that were under ninety three miles per hour heading into that. So I think, more than anything's just going to be able to get an assessment of how much they'll be able to stretch him out. I know he's scheduled to go today, Martine Press went yesterday. I think it's about stretching him out as much as possible, you know. I think he also had a couple of you know, appearances in the bullpen that you know, didn't necessarily go his way. But I mean, yeah, I mean we have to remember what type of picture when Aldo Lopez was prior to this. I mean he's an All Star, he was an All Star before. He's a guy that absolutely dominated during this time, you know, as a starter, and you know, things haven't gone as well. The injury obviously is just something that he can't control because it's, you know, something that happens. But I think what he can't control is the way he goes out there.
Speaker 3: He goes out to.
Speaker 4: The mountain stuff like that, and I think the Braves, you know, signaling him on Friday to give him that spot starting then also bringing him out out there to show that you know, they are considering him to be you know, part of that if he can even fix or anything like that. You know, because at his best, you know, the braves and obviously all of us know what he can do. You know, it's just a matter of seeing all those results generate onto the mound.
Speaker 1: People dehydration sucks. Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 8: Somebody who may or may not have had some dull beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor, I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 1: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products. We're talking about not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quins dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qui n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping in three sixty five day returns quins dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Feud and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 5: So we've talked about the pitching, there's the other side of the ball. This team was hitting on all cylinders with their offense. Was there any significant change that maybe looked at it like, ooh when this happened, when this player came in, when Dubon stopped playing, you know, a consistent one position. Was there something offensively that changed that made this team go from just lightning hot to like good, bad, good bad, good bad.
Speaker 4: You know, I think it's a couple of different things I think you could point to. Obviously, the left side of the offense just hasn't been as productive, you know, both and I wrote stories about this on the Athletic If anybody wants to go out and read that but you know, Hassan Kim and Austin Riley are both having you know, historically back starts in terms of their own respective careers, and I think on haws And Kim's side, you know, it's just a really bad start from a shortstop.
Speaker 3: In general, I think it's essentially at to.
Speaker 4: The point where a lot of these you know, when it gets to the to both Riley and Hawsong came, it's coming close to an automatic out as possible, especially on Kim's end, you know. And I think with Ronald Acuna going on the injured list, that obviously makes Murracy Dubon play a lot more outfield than they have to split the shortstop time between Jorge Mate and has Song Kim, even though you know, whis this past weekend in San Francisco gave all the white, all the all the starts to hass Song Kim to kind of get a better stretch to see, you know, just you know, everything that's you know, they were encouraged by the results that are happening in the cage and stuff like that. But at the end of the day, I think baseball players don't get paid twenty million dollars to have good results on the cage. They get paid twenty million dollars to have a good result on the field, and unfortunately that's not happening from the shortstop end. So I think it's that and also too, like Drake Baldwin going down was huge, you know, when Kunya was down during his first stint on the injured list, you know it had to do you know, Balden was the guy that stood that you know, stepped up to the occasion at the leadoff spot and it's so amazing, had a lot of leadoff home runs, was the guy there. Then he goes down with the injury just hasn't been quite the same hitter since coming back. You know, I think there was a stretch where he only had two hits and close to thirty at bats, one of them being a homer for sure, but like it just didn't go the way that he necessarily wanted to.
Speaker 6: You know, I think.
Speaker 4: That that's a big part of it too, because Baldwin, I mean, it was just such an integral part to the to the to that offense and general even if A Kunya was still healthy too. You know, I think also there's the thing with missing a Kunya is sure you know, maybe it's not the season Ronald A Kunye Junior is accustomed to having, but there's no doubt that his presence in the lanea brings so much more spark, so much more flavor, and just so much more energy. You know, he hasn't been on the road. You can tell his presence hasn't been on the road because of the way he interacts with the players and the way he stands out there. So I think it's it's a lot of the injury. You could say that the injury bug is starting to catch up. It's been catching up to them, but now it's obviously showing, you know, in the in the way that they've lost the lead in the India what's called in the NL East.
Speaker 5: You talked about Hassung Kim, and I want to hit on it a little bit more for people who don't know. He's five for seventy three on the season for an sixty eight batting average is a minus twenty nine ops plus.
Speaker 6: It's under one hundred at bats.
Speaker 5: Where do you see this number of at bats going where they still continue to give Hasung Kim the number one reps at shortstop.
Speaker 3: Well, it's interesting you mentioned that because about as a year ago, a month ago, when we were in Cincinnati towards the end of the month, you know, they were playing Jorge Matale the hot hand. I mean, he showed what he could do in.
Speaker 4: That stretch between Boston and Cincinnati, had games where he went back to back homers, was getting on base.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: Also got to remember, at one point, Jorge Matail was the number one prospect in the Yankee system over Aaron Judge and over Gary Sanchez. You know, just nothing came into fruition after he was treated to the A's and I believe that that in one of the deals with one of the starting pitchers. So uh So, I think it's it's interesting to see now that they've shifted to this philosophy where it's like, Okay, we want to give you know, Kim an extended look to see the stuff that he's been putting into the cages.
Speaker 3: But I think at this point, you.
Speaker 4: Know, you you have to play at your hot hand, you know, and at this point, you know, with the dubon into yau Field, I think it has to be Matteo, you know, and when when Ronald the Kuna Junior gets healthy, you know, you place you know, Dubon at that everyday shortstop spot, you know, I you know, I think anybody who who wants to win, you know, and I think the Braids really do want to when you want to put your best nine players out there that are going to put you in that position to play, you know, and objectively speaking, we know the type of player has Song Kim has been in the past, you know, a goal glove winner. You know, we know what he did in Korea. He's such a fantastic player. But this season specifically, I mean we're almost approaching one hundred at bats and you only have you know, five what's it called hits? I mean that's essentially you know, he's on a one year, twenty million dollar deal. I mean, he's essentially getting paid, you know, basically, what is it? Four million dollars a hit?
Speaker 9: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know if my map is correct. That's why I'm a sports I think that's that's what it is. So I think at some point there there needs to be you know, I don't know how longer that least can go that.
Speaker 2: Is accurate four million dollars per hit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Todd more would be on this show if they got four million dollars per hit.
Speaker 5: They should pay him more, honey. If we're getting paid by hits, I mean, let's go crank it up. They're only giving him four million dollars worth each it.
Speaker 1: It is because becoming a historic slump for Kim. It's crazy. It's that's mon stars right there, Todd father, right, that's space jam like someone took his powers.
Speaker 2: It's just not there. It's raising me.
Speaker 5: It makes me question that injury fallings and cutting his finger, is that what it was?
Speaker 6: Or breaking his finger?
Speaker 2: And I believe he slipped on ice in off season, right.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, that's what it was.
Speaker 4: And also too, he hasn't had back spring training in back to back years too, which you know, as you guys know, that's such a pivotal rule. I mean, it allows you to you know, be a little bit more loose in the cage. It allows you to be more loose at in the bats when you're playing you know, games in March in Florida compared to you know, wanting to go out there coming with a set plan and if that plan doesn't work in the first that bats, abandoning it because you want to be able to generate impact to your team. So I feel for him on that, but at the end of the day, you want.
Speaker 6: To win games.
Speaker 4: And I think the sense of urgency really ticks a little bit more when you go Like I said, I hate to say this much, but going from a double digit lead to like a two and a half game lead, like, come on, Like there needs to be you know, there.
Speaker 2: Needs to be a sense more of a sense of urgency.
Speaker 4: It's not to say that's not coming from the braids, but I mean once that, you know, if that lead is gone, like it's panic mode in my opinion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, and it is a one year deal, it's all right.
Speaker 1: If you're caught with someone who's on a multi year contract, it gets really tricky. The comp I couldn't think of right now, guys, And he wasn't this bad, but you know, Chris Taylor was going through it a couple of years ago with the Dodgers and they were letting that ride out. But you know, they kind of hide him for a while while he was working on things, but he never really solved it and and just recently retired. But it gets tricky. Veteran player making good cash, you don't want to let him loose and then see him thrive elsewhere. But how many abs are you going to give to a player like that? So hazus, thank you for the time man. Great to catch up with you as always enjoying the work in the athletic and I know you're new to the table there are doing a great job, So thanks man.
Speaker 3: Thanks so much, good appreciated.
Speaker 9: Hey.
Speaker 1: C Geek is MLB's official ticket marketplace, and in addition to finding every single game on the MLB calendar, there are big events coming up very soon.
Speaker 6: There's an All Star game.
Speaker 10: There's a home run derby. And if you think you're perfect and you can pick the right seat at the home run Derby to get the most home run balls, you can get the little green dot and that might be your lucky seat. Don't go red dot, though, because you might not get any balls, but go redgreen dot and get as many home run balls as you think you can catch.
Speaker 2: Yep, you click the seat, you check out what your view is.
Speaker 1: Each ticket's rated on a scale of one to ten, so you know you're getting a good deal. And that's what AJ's talking about. Green good, red bad. With those dots and the code for you Territory one zero for ten percent off your next set of tickets at Sea Geek. That's ten percent off any MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten.
Speaker 2: Make sure you click the link in.
Speaker 1: The description of this episode that'll help you download the app and then get the code automatically added to your account so that you can use it later.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Zekie Evandrelik putting this out there.
Speaker 1: We have the latest proposal from the Players Association and it includes expanding active rosters for the first fifteen days of the season to twenty eight, up from twenty six total players. They also propose to drop the number of times players can be optioned in a given season to three, down from the current number of five. So we get the cap and the money fight at the top, going over some of the details and the intricacies. Many of these things aren't necessarily going to happen. But what happens here over this process is that both sides are going to lay out their dream scenario. Right you're right in the Santa and you just tell them twenty gifts that you want, and then both sides learn what's important to them and then they can start bartering when we get a deadline in like February. But Krats, can you explain some of these things. Here's the proposals today, I'll read more of them. So you've got the roster increase from twenty six to twenty eight in the first fifteen days, sixty day il three months earlier, options down from five to three earlier, eligibility for the Rule five draft that gives players that have been toiling in the minor leagues and opportunity to join a major league club.
Speaker 2: Right the Rule five.
Speaker 1: Draft enables a team to pick a player from another team, but he's got to keep him in the majors for him to stay on the major league roster. Otherwise you have to send him back to the prior team, service time, salary, protection for option pitchers, and player access to team collected data. So that's some of the highlights there that have been pointed out in today's proposals. So, Krats, we're getting layers of proposals from each side that are getting more detailed now in terms of what they're looking to accomplish. Thoughts on any of this stuff because you can relate to some of these, especially some of the option action going on.
Speaker 5: That's what I'm going to hit on. But first I'm going to take my black sharpie and cross out the player access to team collected data. All they're going to give you access to, Well, this is all we have, and then they're going to start a new farming system of way. They value players throughout the entire league on a one collective group. And that's why everybody's salary just stays in line. It's not it's not collusion, it's data collection. But I'm gonna go to the option thing. Trey Gibson this year. I'm hoping we have him on a show soon. Trey Gibson, pitcher for the Oils through last night, you know, got whacked around a little bit, but he's already been optioned. This is his fourth time getting called up this year. And so you're talking about a guy who's trying to stick in the big leagues as a rookie, as a older rookie too, who had a different path, and he's just getting shuttled back and forth, back and forth.
Speaker 6: Now he's got a little bit of leeway.
Speaker 5: He's pitched quite a few times, but it's hard enough to succeed in the big leagues when teams. Now, they made this rule last time, the last CBA about five options. That means you can get called up. That's not an option sent down now, that's an option that can happen five more times. And they had to make this rule because it was happening more than that. So there was guys. There was guys that were You're trying to compete in the big leagues and then you were getting sent down for three days, then you get called back up for something, then sent back down for ten days, called back up for something else. Starters starting, pitchers are missing, starts are getting held back, your routine is getting thrown off, and then you have to go and compete in the big leagues while your family is getting floated around. So I love this. I don't think it's like a massive thing, but you know what it is, It affects more people in the league than that stupid qualifying offer. So if they want to put the qualifying offers like WHOA, we're going to get rid of the qualifying offer for what the like fifteen to seventeen people that it affects even though they say yes, the qualifying offer then affects the rest of free agents because it slows the market down because nobody wants to offer those guys. Blah blah blah. This is a majority thing that I think. It affects more people than people realize, more players than people realize.
Speaker 1: Bingo on the qualifying offer too, Kratz is actually less than that per year because let's say, let's say there's fifteen guys that get the qualifying offer, ten of them are stars, and it's not going to really matter.
Speaker 2: They're going to get their contract.
Speaker 1: It's going to be big, right, if you're getting one hundred two hundred, three hundred million dollar contract. The team's not worried about the qualifying offer attachment most in most scenarios, right, It's sure it's factored in, but it's not a big deal. If you're that mid range player and it's a really big part of being attached to you, and we've seen it, it affects what maybe two to three it's maybe a little bit more players per year, it's three to five guys.
Speaker 5: But then with each of those three to five guys, the argument with the PA is each of those three guys have about two other free agents that are attached to that player, Like, well, we're not sure what we're going to do. Because if Todd has a qualifying offer and I also play third base, I'm not getting any offers because we're waiting. We're waiting to see what Todd does with the qualifying offer or it's attached to him. So now that's affecting my value in free agency because Todd's better and they don't want to pay me more than Todd, but I don't have a qualifying offer. So basically, the way I came up with that math was the fact that it's three to five guys that it really affects who actually have a qualifying offer, and then there's three or four players at that player's position that it also affects in their free agency.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fair, that's a good way to explain it.
Speaker 1: And yet still I get what you're saying, the prior situation affects many more players Todd Father, anything from the list here that we pointed out that stands out to you. And at one clarification, because I said the sixth day IL with the three months earlier whatever, it's allowed for placement on players on the sixty day IL as early as November tender deadline designed to open additional forty man roster spots for clubs in the offseason to replace players with known and lengthier injury recovery timelines because right now toime, you got to wait a few months after that, right and then things open up and then you can see more player activity.
Speaker 2: So this basically allows.
Speaker 1: Teams to put someone on that sixty dail and then open up the spot to sign someone else, versus waiting until what is it, so December January it's almost spring training basically when they usually have to wait for making sixty DAYIL moves. But anything else that stands out to.
Speaker 9: You, not really. I don't think these are backbreakers. I think.
Speaker 7: You know, these are little things that you know might help during the year. I mean, you know, going from twenty six to twenty eight guys, I know they Unless I've heard something different, I haven't heard anything different. But doing the minor league start a little bit later too, before the major league start, is that still a thing cratzy?
Speaker 9: Or they start at the same time.
Speaker 6: That because I mean, because it didn't it wouldn't make it didn't before.
Speaker 7: It would make sense to make it to twenty eight guys, just because they start, they do start a couple of weeks after, might as well get them up there to help the team win for the first two weeks. But yeah, nothing, nothing mind blowing here. Whatever, Let's let's see where this goes. I I feel like they're both trying to nickel and dime here for some things, which is fine, but.
Speaker 9: Yeah, we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty six to twenty eight is fine with me, with the exception of still having a max pitcher allowance. So in this particular proposal, it's fourteen pitcher max the number one what why are shaking your head?
Speaker 2: The number one thing on they will do that. That's I know, that's in the proposal. That's in the proposal.
Speaker 9: I know.
Speaker 5: But I'm I'm saying they're not going to allow that because at the beginning of the year, you have all your off days, and so the teams are gonna there's gonna pump it full of three starters and you know, twelve relievers right right, somehow the masks, but they still get tons of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just saying, you gotta be careful on the on the pitchers that you allow. I know that teams are complaining, hey, we don't have enough for arms. Well, there's a fund of mental issue on why that's a problem. But for the I care about the of course I care about health, but I but that's the problem is some teams are obviously and it doesn't start with teams, starts at the youth level. It's all being promoted to value velocity and obviously treat your arm like a data point, and it's leading to more injuries. We've talked about that a million times. For the fan experience, there's too many pictures, there's too many pitching changes. I don't want that.
Speaker 2: I don't need.
Speaker 1: I know that we have the like what do you think of the three batter minimum? I thought it got some hate early on, and I know it's not like a huge part of the game, but to me it is I don't want to see picture in does one out he comes out like to me, that's too slow. That was part of the pace problem that we had. So I actually think it's been pretty valuable. Is it the standout thing? Is it the pitch clock? Is it the abs challenge? Just no, and managers were pissed off about it, so they're like, this is affecting my strategy. I'm like, well, now you have a new strategy. Okay, you have to have a picture that can get three freaking out in the game.
Speaker 6: Do you think I like it?
Speaker 9: Oh? I like it.
Speaker 6: I really like the three picture, the three battery.
Speaker 7: That's a little pressure on the pitcher. Let's go left. He's got to face two righters or the big righty coming up.
Speaker 9: It'd be interesting. It makes it interesting.
Speaker 5: Excuse me, I like I like it because there's there's the strategy of Okay, my guys faced four guys. Now I bring that guy in for one hitter that if he doesn't get this last out of the inning, he has to face another guy, which then the advantage is clearly in the pitching is in a pitcher's hands. That's why they made that move. And then all of a sudden, the advantage, win, probability, whatever happens in that bat shifts to the offense. And to me, that's what keeps people engaged. If it's just oh, great, one two, three strikes, you're out. One two, three strikes, you're out. But then there's like shifts in the momentum and who has the advantage of a certain situation that keeps fans engaged, And that's that's what I like.
Speaker 6: About it.
Speaker 1: Last piece of the puzzle here because we got more details. So on the data front, they want players access to get access to club collected non proprietary performance data and video designed to increase transparency and allow players to track their work with the same information that management is using. That's basically saying, hey, we know that there are some systems that everyone's using to evaluate and it's not very public and we'd like to see that. At the same time, when you say non proprietary, this is exactly playing to what Kratz just said. You can go, oh, we tweaked one thing and now it's not. Now it's just ours and we don't have to show that to players. You know what I'm saying, Krats So like, you're not going to win this. But you're not going to win this battle, even if you know there is a system that they're using to judge players on arbitration and everything else.
Speaker 2: It's like you can.
Speaker 1: Say, oh, we changed one little formula and now actually that so we're not going to share it. It's just I get where players are coming from here, but you're not going to win that battle, So asking for it, even if they do say yes, it's kind of it's going to be fake, Like I wouldn't waste AMMO on a negotiation by asking for that.
Speaker 5: Nope, that's like saying, well, we want the owners to see the books. They're not going to do it. They're not going to give the property. I worked for one of these info gathering CYS data gathering systems, these companies, and they're they're not like they work with all those guys I worked with the different teams that were interested in the system, and they're just not they're not going to give that. Up to the point where the Red Sox when I worked with them, had their own proprietary system and they wouldn't show the players everything. They were showing the coaches, and some of the coaches were like why what like what of this am I not allowed to show them? Well, let's just let's just keep it. Let's just keep it simple for the players, Like, no, the best teams show everybody everything because they want the best for you, and you want the best for your own career, so don't like hide it so you save a couple thousand dollars here and there.
Speaker 1: I get the frustration too for players because even like almost anyone that played sports at any level can probably relate if there's a particular coach that didn't like you and you can't figure out why they don't like you, right, you want to be like, oh, they're judging me based on X, but they won't tell me what it is. And for the best baseball players in the world, Todd Father, you guys just want to know, like how am I being judged and how can I work on that one thing to fix it? Right, Like when defensive metrics first came out, guys were confused about things, and then they started to learn about it, and they're like, cool, if you think I'm rating poorly on your system, tell me what your system's based off of and then I'll improve as a player.
Speaker 2: I'm the best player. I'm you know, among the best players in the world. I played in Major League baseball. That's the frustration point.
Speaker 7: Gotcha, gotcha, just after a couple of years, if you don't know where to position yourself as an infield or an outfield against eighty percent of the players and you need all that paperwork and stuff that.
Speaker 9: I don't want to get started with that stuff.
Speaker 5: Sorry, but time, but time If you say younger.
Speaker 9: For the younger Cats for the younger Cats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but if you're saying I'm a year away from free agency, this is what I'm hearing about my value, Well, then I guess I'm gonna play. I'm gonna play two steps over. I don't agree with it, but I'm gonna play two steps over. Why because that increases my defensive run safe Like it's it's an outfielder. If I play back like the team wants me to, now, my range advantage is gone because half of my range and my circle around me as a player is over the fence and I never catch any of those. So I'm gonna play more shallow and get better range advantage. And the team is gonna say, no, you got to move back. I'm like, okay, well I'm.
Speaker 6: Gonna move forward. Well, you got to move back, but I got pay to move forward.
Speaker 9: I understand that.
Speaker 7: I mean, speaking about third base, I see a lot of third base and play way too far back.
Speaker 9: When there's a runner on first.
Speaker 7: There's there's a whole lot going on that you know, to turn a double play, like you need to be in certain positions, and it just it's totally different at third base. Now guys are playing on the grass in the outfield pretty close enough to there for.
Speaker 9: A double play.
Speaker 7: Depth trying to get a double play, and you got a guy that has some sort of speed, not cook get him out of so.
Speaker 6: But his range is so much better, but his defense.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, to mix your range better because you're far back, you can get to that ball and you don't knock it down.
Speaker 9: But I want to double play.
Speaker 6: But why why why Todd? Because you want to win exactly.
Speaker 5: But if you get your defensive run saved up because you're able to get to the ball down the line as a third basement, that is mega value. That's why his third basement are picking up platinum gloves because that's a double.
Speaker 6: That's a double.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you might not get the double play, but hey, you stop that double exactly.
Speaker 9: All good.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna get top frustrated to fifty eight on a Wednesday. Just tell them about how computers will tell me where to stand on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, talk to Ata, baby,