Speaker 1: Yet to ask you a question.
Speaker 2: Real, let's just keep it real, straight shot with No Chaser and I'm gonna get a little bit rougher. I'm here for it. Those who really believed in the American process, all of us street Shot No Chase with your girl Tensel figure out on the Black Effect podcast network, didnt even know everybody. Straight Shot No Chaser. Marcellus and I uh here pulled in a couple of folks for a quick live studio audience as we record Straight Shot No Chaser. I thought this was a great opportunity to do a quick training for those of you that heard the exchange that I had a moment ago on uh Instagram live between uh my good friend Devin, who is who's ran for office there in Atlanta, and I want to continue the conversation. So I'm gonna use this as a training tool, not to embarrass Devin or anything like that. I know he would love to come on the live and talk about it, but we're gonna use this as a training opportunity. Marcella's and why the training is critically important, especially for candidates who are running for office like Devon, who has ran for city council. I believe in Orlando, I mean in Atlanta. Have you heard the live earlier we were talking about and I'm going to get to that in a moment. We were talking about progressive candidates not spending money on black outreach, and I want to be clear for those of you who are new to me, new to my world, welcome Marcella's. You might want to give them the tutorial that anybody can get it at rehime. I am not in love with these candidates the way that you guys are. I will definitely speak truth to power. I will definitely be fair, but I will always and I need somebody in the chat to put always, always ask where is the bag when it comes to black outreach. That goes for black progressives, that goes for black moderates, they go for Black Republicans, They go for the Black Green Party, they go for the Black Tea Party, they go for the Black Kitchen Soup party. That go who else? The Collar of Green Party, the Yams Party? Who else?
Speaker 1: Martina? Who miss Meg? The dreads.
Speaker 2: I like you like to call is stuffing. I know, Mathew like to call the stuffing the stuffing party. I don't give a damn and I need somebody to help me in the comments. Cheslem Figuaro, don't give a damn what you represent, blood souewoop business, crip what upcuz pi rule you be in rolling sixties, rolling thirty four five six powru it brims. It don't matter whoever you are, whatever flag you represent. I am always going to ask what's happening with the black dollar?
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Always. It's no shade against y'all, whoever youall favorite candidate is of the hour. It's just a simple question that I'm going to ask every time, every time, what's happening? Well every time. So when I made the statement, the black progress that progresses once again should have to the hoovers in the building. We're doing the roll call today. Yeah, we got to do the roll call because it don't matter who you are, whoever can get the fade. I just need some of my bloods and crips in the car. Whoever can get the fade. It's always a fade available, and it goes to the candidates first, never to the voter. When it comes to me. Welcome to somebody that actually likes to give the fades to the candidates. I said what I said, and I meant what I said, which is, overall the money is not spent on black outreach. Now, Marcella's, I had a long caption. They didn't read the caption, so I took it out because I saw they didn't want to read the course materials in the caption. As always, I said, let me take out. Let me just be real plain and clear that if he did not do and I've also made it clear I set the premise up in the beginning that said, I don't I'm not speaking on New York politicians of New York politics.
Speaker 1: Did I not correct?
Speaker 2: I said, I'm not talking about New York politics. I'm saying overall, they do not spend the money to get out the vote. So guys, we call it GOTV called get out the vote. And overall the people in charge of the money the white liberals and the white progressives cause so it ain't black people that are in charge with the money. They get very little to black media, to black organizations, to black outreach to get out the vote. Now, immediately people started coming into comments Marcella's saying, well, you know, older voters need to figure out what they want. The question is we need to be asking why older voters vote this way and why they vote that way, and what's wrong with the vote? Y'all missed it. It went over your head. In order to convince an older voter, a younger voter, a toddler voter, a teenage voter, a middle aged voter, a pre teen voter, a whoever voter. And this is why y'all need to be in the training teslmfigure out dot com. It is money allocated for each voter to hear a message. Do y'all know that? Put a five in the chat? Maybe people don't know that, And that's why y'all need to come to the training. If I raise five thousand dollars and I say I have to reach six hundred and seventy six hundred candidates six hundred. Let's say my win number is six hundred and I only and I say, what is the cost? And I want you all to really get this. I'm giving y'all this free training, but y'all really got to come to my class. Not only do we talk about this in my class, I also talk about how to implement this in a real way. This is not about just talking, guys. It's a real strategy which Devin knows. So that's why I was confused on what he's even talking about. When Michelle ran her race Marcella's that I helped her with last year, and she got on the ballot sixty days, we know we needed to meet. We needed to touch X amount of voters. X amount of voters requires a certain amount of money. You don't have to have a lot of money, but it requires a certain amount of money. Meaning if I go print all five hundred flyers, you know at Kinko's, that's a cost. Correct, Yep, that's a call. You're correct, I think I said, Jeremy to the zero zero five. It is a cost, even if it is with Michelle Watley, who spent it out of her own her own pocket. She had to spend let's just say, a dollar for every flyer that was printed. She didn't raise any money because she got on sixty days, So it was six hundred dollars And I'm just doing a rough estimate, six hundred dollars a dollar a flyer to go get those brochures on somebody's debt, on somebody's door every day. Put a five in the chat. If that's making prain sense to you, the flyers don't disappear Marcella's. It's not what people are saying in the car. We just gotta each one teach one. That's not how organizing works. That's not how it works. Organizing is an actual strategy, an actual budget, and don't have to be but an actual plan, an actual field plan, an actual when you, guys, when you win a war, let me tell you something, as a veteran, do you think we just sitting back saying each one teach one? Or is there a plan in place? Guys? The air force has a plan, our plan at the air force. Air Force, we monitor the air I mean when we need a certain amount of recruits to come in, we need a certain amount that's gonna protect the planes. We need a certain which was my job, by the way, M sixty. Gonna protect a plane, need a certain aount of people that's gonna fly the planes. They need salaries, they gotta eat, We gotta take care of them. They need benefit. Are y'all following me? Put a five in the chat? Then we got the air taken care of. Let me use that in a candidate standpoint, the air If we're gonna use a candidate analogy the air would be like, what guys advertisement advertisement? Thank you sweetheart, So the air let's use it in a candidates standpoints. The air would be the Air Force would be advertisement. It costs money to advertise, even if you're advertising on Facebook for five dollars an ad. I'm not even talking about big let's dumbness down the just local. If you ran a race tomorrow, okay, Marcella's Facebook ad, We're gonna spend five dollars a day over thirty days. That's advertisement. That's the Air Force. Then, in order to win the war with the United States military, we need what the army on the ground. See, boots on the ground is not just a song. It's a real thing with boots actually on the ground. So the Marines and the Air Force, the Marines a few good men and the Army are the two branches that lead infantry on the ground. And it doesn't mean that the Air Force is never on the ground, because I tell you all the time, spe we add infantry as well. But the two that lead on the ground would be the Marines a few good men meaning all of y'all can't be a marine. We're gonna get to that in a minute. Which is why I be telling y'all in the comments respectfully. It's levels to this because in order to be the difference between being a marine and in the army is your physical fitness. Somebody in the comments put physical fitness. So no, brother, I'm not trying to shade you when I say I'm bringing more agile, physical fitness to the conversation. Meaning I've just done more, had more experience outside of one region doesn't mean I'm better. It doesn't mean I'm diminishing you, Devin. It means I'm telling you I was in the room. I need somebody to help me in the room. I was in the room when these progressives were deciding how they were going to spend money on black voters. Doesn't mean that what you say in Atlanta is not valuable. It just means that my physical fitness, my ability, agility, my qualification to be a marine is different than an air force. I'm on a different ground level, which is why so when Devon says I was on the ground, Yeah, you was on the ground and in the air in the Army. I was on the ground as a marine. It's levels to this. It's not about a disrespect, it's understanding where you are in this guys. That's why I push the line has a logo, marcellis with each person somebody pushing the P, the you, the s, the h we all have a job to do. I am never thinking I'm above anybody, Marcelli's because if that's the case, you wouldn't be sitting here with me as a co host on a weekly basis. And I met you in a comment section. What no radio experience, right, So this is not about diminishing somebody. Move your insecurities out the way. Let's deal with the issue at hand. Welcome to class. Somebody put a five in the chat if you're in class this evening. So my perspective on saying with the the new progressive movement that was supercharged by Bernard Sanders, we all agree, right, he was the one that woke up this progressive momentum with organizing more progressives ever in our generation, Bernie Sanders. So I'm giving you my perspective of being in the room with the only ten people who were black in the room with Bernie Sanders in twenty fifteen when nobody knew who the hell Bernie Sanders was. So that means my view is going to be different than Devin's view in Atlanta. It's not about diminishing him. It's just we need to understand. I am in the Marines and you are in the Army. It doesn't mean that we're both not on the ground. We're seeing different perspectives. Does that make sense yep. So I clearly laid out in the caption I'm not talking about New York because that's for New York to figure out. I don't know enough about New York politics. I tell y'all what I know and what I don't know. There are some things that go across the board that you can apply in any city, any state. But I was not speaking on New York politics. I was simply saying the data that came out and said that Zaurun, as they put out his name, did not do well with black voters. And I simply said, I'm not speaking on New York because I don't know. But what I do know is progressive continue to fail at black outreach. And I also was fair across the board marcellis and said this also goes for motteries as well. But my experience being a marine with working on the ground with the white multi millionaire consultants that decided who should get the money, why, where, what in twenty fifteen, I'm giving you that experience from a overall view, not a local view. It was not about minimizing what Devin said in his Atlanta experience. It has nothing to do with that. Take the personal off the table. It was about me saying that my experience on progressives and what they do not spend with black outreach, old young are indifferent. If it's six hundred dollars to print off the flyers, if it's we need to hire some folks instead of asking volunteers and knock on doors, if it's we need to give pizza, we need to give donuts, we need to give whatever, you know, whatever it is, I'm saying they don't spend the money. That's what I'm saying. I'm saying that for moderates. I'm saying that for progressives, but particularly progressives, because progressives is a newer model. If you will, if we go by looking at what Bernie Sanders started in twenty fifteen to now, if y'all agree with that, put a five in the chat where moderates have been taking advantage of black voters for years because you know, black people have been Democrats centrist for the most part, but they have a little bit more roots in on the ground because they were you know, they've been you know, doing on the groundwork longer, which is fair, which is why I push even harder for progresses to do more, to spend money on the ground. So I was very clear in laying out this is not about New York because it is very important Devon when we lay things out because to Devin, and I'll tell y'all our conversation we had a great conversation offline and said, this is not the court of law. It actually is the court of law. And Devin, you as a candidate, I want you to move as if you're in the court of law at all times. This is why they say what you say can what be.
Speaker 1: You in the court of law.
Speaker 2: And I particularly want you guys, especially candidates who you know, I love you, Devin, and I'll let you gives. I know you dine and say something. But this is just being the student posture and listen just for a moment. It's very important that when you say things that you are that you stand on those things and you can back it up with evidence. Because the one thing that a black man needs is evidence. You're what I'm telling yah, I'm saying this would love is og love the one thing that black men and I'm gonna say it again, the one thing black women too. But the one thing in case y'all not looking at what's happening every day, the one thing death. And the reason why I want you to stand on this, baby, is because the one thing that you need is a black man in America is evidence. And if you do not have that learn behavior, I wish I had a witness in the building. If I am not teaching you that learn behavior, I make Marcellus do it all the time. Guys, I want you to have that learn behavior, that it is in your walk, in your talk. I won't give a damn if you at the barbershop, I won't give a shit if you just having a random debate about who's the best ball player of all times, who's the best this, who's the best lyricists of all time? I need black people, especially black men, that when things come out of your mouth, that you are able to back it up with evidence, because America is going to make you stand on it. We actually are in the court of law put a five in the chat. If you agree, I'm gonna let you come on, Devin, but I want you to hear me first from love, because I'm concerned about you, and this is from love. You made the statement, and when we're gonna move over to the progressive part, because him and I both agree on that. You made the statement that killer Mike chose Kemp over Stacy Abrams, and I said, show me the evidence of that, because that is not true. And you sent a very long dissertation, very long thesis about how he could have been a better supporter, and I'm paraphrasing a better advocate, a more enthusiastic person for Abrams, a more let's just say, a better community leader. I want you to hear me. Good, Devin. You have every right to feel that way. The debate, or what I asked you to show me evidence was not evidence on if he was not the best community person in your subjective opinion. The evidence was not based upon could he have been more favorable to Stacy Abrams in your opinion. The evidence was not called for to the court about should he had not praised Kemp. So when you explained, you said yourself literally although he did not endorse Kemp. He still could have blah blah blah blah blah blah blah. And that is my only point, Devin. And when I said what you said would not hold weight in the court of law, and you said, this is not the court of law, it actually is, brother, Because you must, especially as a candidate, you must have the mindset and think like an attorney. I give an example in lawyering Fundamentals, one of our classes, it says, come up with who what makes a great song? Now, many of y'all will say, what's the greatest song of all time? Who's the greatest player of all time? You know why I don't have those debates, Devin and Marcella's because I don't like conversations without rules. Somebody gonna say Lebron, somebody gonna say AI, somebody gonna say Jordan's. You know, somebody gonna say. I don't like those barbershop conversations, Devin. So when you talk to me, you gotta narrow down the scope. We gotta identify the rules. And identifying the rules means what genre are we talking about? What are we talking about? I mean, that's the song? What are we talking about stats, who makes the best player? Are we talking about overall? Who's the best human being overall?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Are we talking about who who is the greatest of all the time? Because Muhammad Ali did what many many others would never do. Are we just talking about how many punches got landed? Are we talking about who took the Do y'all follow what I'm saying? Put a five in the chat. You must establish the rules. See, you cannot just throw something out to me and think I'm not gonna ask you for the evidence, and black Man, you need evidence. Yeah, the reason why the d trial right now, why they had to drop some of those charges is because what y'all the lack of lack of evidence. You cannot afford to say things out your mouth that you can't back up with evidence. Because I need you to be thinking like that, Devin, because you are a candidate, and you speak often, and the words you say can and will be and should be expected to be used against you. So if you want to premise it and say killer Mike was not the best community partner or the best community member, or did not support Stacy Abrams the way I think he would, you have no argument with me on that the argument came from he supported Kemp over Stacy Abrams and you said, well that's just semantics. No, no, no, See, black men been hanged over semantics. I wish I had a five in the chat. Black men have been persecuted over semantics. Black people have been misunderstood over semann. I wish I had somebody who was a witness black people, because see, when you sit in front of that jury appears. See one person says semantics marcellis. Another one says, show me where the law is. Another one say show me where the rico is. Another one say, well, that's domestic violence. Another one say, well did he really call? See. We got to be real careful when it comes down to semantics. You don't have to like somebody. You can disavow what they do. You can say I don't agree with how they move. You can say, well, up to me, I would have done something different. I don't have no problem none of that. You said, Devin, the issue came in he did not endorse kept over aprons. And that was the only thing that I was set out to prove and the only evidence that you didn't provide. That's it, and that's all. But what I want you to know, is a black man in America who is in politics. You must know it's the court of law. You must know that. You must know that. You must know that we cannot, especially as political leaders, we cannot just blurt things out and not back it up with the receipt. It's best to say, oh, I'll get back to you, or hey, this is my opinion, or set the premise up in the beginning, like I did with the post when I said I'm not speaking of New York, I'm speaking of overall. Now, if you chose not to read it, if you chose to skip the five print, that's on you, which is why we talk about that in course four of five, which is legal and compliance. If you chose to ignore the rule that I set forth, that's on you. But I set the rule very plain and clear that I was speaking overall, and y'all took the comments in a whole nother direction. But that was on y'all. That was not on me. Let's bring Steven Devon to the stage. This is recorded as a reminder for straight Shadow Chaser podcasts. Hey, Devin, thank you for listening, and thank you for holding the space of court. Your faith no, I'm recording.
Speaker 1: Speak up.
Speaker 2: Just say what you need to say, honey.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: So on the point about those particulars or whether or not he gave an official endorsement Brian Camp over Stacy Abrams, you were one hundred and fifty percent correct. He did not give an official endorsement to Brian Camp over Stacey eight.
Speaker 1: So I can see that point.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all, And your opinion is valid. Like, you're not the first one that I that I heard that said they were disappointed in Mike. You're not the first one that said more should have been done. In fact, I believe that's what compelled him to say, okay, to reach out to Stacy's campaign and say come to the west side what she never did. By the way, but he can argue that point. But I was not in any way minimizing your perspective. What I was saying is we have to be careful black man of just saying things as fact, because I don't want them to do that to you. No, and that's hard.
Speaker 3: I think the piece that I wanted to communicate, and this is about the broader conversation around progressivism.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like.
Speaker 3: As someone who has contributed to the progressive movement, has run as a progressive as knows what it's like to receive some of that institutional support from her aggressive organizations like Democratic Socialism of America. You know, I when people call themselves progressive, and I actually don't even know killing my coffee self are progressive. But when people call themselves a progressive, I think it's important that we have to look at the receipts of progressive behavior. And like I said, I don't think you know, supporting your right to bear arms doesn't.
Speaker 1: Make you progressive.
Speaker 3: I believe in black people's right to bear arms and for self determination.
Speaker 1: That's a key part of that.
Speaker 3: With that being said, you know when Stacey, when you're well known in twenty twenty two, you're down and out, you're close, you in a tight election, when someone gives with a platform like killo Mike gets on a national platform and gives credit to your opponent and says nothing about you, well, in my mind, as a candidate, I know how that's gonna feel. I know how that shows up. And this shows up as you are supporting my opponent over me.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, well I'm well, let's deal with rules. Because again, I like rules. I'm not talking about what shows up. We don't even have to religate that. I hear what you're saying, and I agree, But the bottom line is he did not support Kemp over Stacy and I just deal with the facts. But I want but I hear what you're saying what shows up because we know that p R is a real thing, perception of reality, it's a real thing. But we were only debating if he endorsed or not. But I want to go back to what you said because this is a really healthy part of the of the argument when you said, if somebody's not showing up like a progressive, so let let and I and I love this and I can't wait to unpack this. There is no where is and see again, this is where it goes for the rules. Where is the I believe. Let me let me say this. One reason why I don't do YouTube is because there's no entry. Everybody can do it. Anybody can say they're they're a podcast, or anybody can say they got a show. Anybody can say they're a political anybody can say. You know why I don't like that, Devin, is because I don't like anybody can do anything. I actually like very clear rules. One reason why I do not support shout out to doctor Steve Perry in the building. One reason I don't support honorary degrees is because those who don't understand that an honorary degree and somebody running around calling themselves doctor is not the same thing as doctor Steve Perry. And it's one reason why I refuse to get my PhD, because I want no confusion between me with a PhD and some comedian that got honorary doctrine. No disrespect, but I believe in very clear rules. Let me go further. I joked today with my friend Michelle, who said, put some respect in her junior ROTC. I said, I will not be putting respect on your junior ROTC because you are not a veteran and no more than people than the Divine nine looks at Capital Sweethearts as a real sorority. I will not be looking at you as a soldier. With that said, there is no process to determine what is a progressive and what is not. Leer me out, Okay, so your opinion on Hey, if you're saying you're a progressive, but you ain't showing a like progressive there's no there has been no process to say. And this is one reason why I don't like political parties, by the way, because when you are a Democrat, they actually do want you to sign as you know, these are the things that you say you support and don't support. There is no progressive movement that has progressive candidates that actually have a This is what you need to do to be a progressive voter or a progressive candidate. So the bottom line moral to the story is anybody can say they whatever the hell they want to say, and you can say I disagree, they're not a progressive, and somebody else say where they are prepared. In fact, we saw many monerists do this. We saw many monitorists come out and say, well, you know, I'm a progressive because I believe in but but guess what. But guess what though he can say it's progressive because progressives have not defined any rules to determine what is and what ain't. See and this applies. See I love this type of talk, Devin, because in act to actually be a blood, let's put it to the hood so that everybody can know, so that everybody can know that the rules apply across the board. On any game you want to be a part of, and if you want to be a blood, somebody need to put you on or endorse you. You need to get beat up, or you need to fight your way in, or you need to pay your way in. There is a process to getting in. So because there's no process to being what a progressive is or ain't, you can say, well, she not of progressive, but you don't get to determine it because y'all don't have no rules. So until the progressive movement, like I keep telling over and over, y'all need to go over, especially black, go over to the Green Party and define the rules. That's what I say.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think a couple.
Speaker 3: I thinks one part of the reason why I feel comfortable in calling myself a progressive is because I know what it's like to be endorsed by progressive institutions that have a standard of like, these are the things, the type of policies that you need to support as a candidate.
Speaker 2: But those are for those institutions. But you're meeting the mark for those institutions. So if McDonald's says, in order to get a McDonald's endorsement, you need to eat three cheeseburgers. Okay, I got I met or exceeded what's required for the McDonald's endorsement. But that doesn't mean that I get endorsements from Wendy's and Burger King and everybody else that makes a hamburger. Because in fact, somebody could argue that the organizations that said that you were progressive, there's somebody saying that they ain't progressive. There's somebody saying, well, no, they're actually socialist.
Speaker 4: You have that going on right now, right gott of the Democratic Socialists of America and Working Families parties, that's right back or oftentimes about who is more progressive than another.
Speaker 1: And I love what somebody said in the chat that progressive. A part of it is that progressive isn't mine.
Speaker 3: Your point is be mindsets are subjective, that's right, so we're clear.
Speaker 2: So when we say that, so all I just want to know is it fair or not fair? I just don't think it's fair for anybody to say such and such is not a progressive if they're saying they're progressive. Now what I think the reframing can be according to my standard. I just like words to be clear. If you say, according to yeah, yeah, I just like words to be clear. And it could even be in the hood. I can say, according to my according to what I know about being a blood from the nineties in Inglewood, such and such rapper do not qualify according to what it means to be a blood. In nineteen ninety when Chris Big Blown Chris and his big age became a blood Chris Brown, he actually went and fought the homies in in jail for that reason, because he wanted to check the box to say I've done, you know, what's required to be considered what we call reputable. And I know many people are saying, why are you using gangs as a example, Well, because politics are gangs, absolutely, and it's all tribalism, and gangs actually have more, sometimes more organization than so called That's right. You don't, Yeah, you don't get to just be a GD in Chicago just wake up one day and say I'm a GD.
Speaker 3: So and I'm saying this, and I think a part of it is a couple of things.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 3: You know, to some extent, the progressive organizations that do exist, maybe with the exception of the Green Party, are relatively younger in their conception than the more traditional parties and even the fashions that exist within the traditional Democratic Republican Party. So I think some of this has just changed, and the fact that these are newer institutions that are getting their legs and so they should be listening to you, particularly as somebody who has worked for someone like Burning Standards, you know, who.
Speaker 1: Had this national platform. So I agree with that piece. I feel like for me, why I say and I speak from I use I statement why I how I.
Speaker 3: Judge progressivism is oftentimes rounded in the platforms and priorities of institutions like the Working Families Party and like the Democratic Socialists of America, because.
Speaker 1: There is some standard, there's something on paper there.
Speaker 3: You know, when I got endorsed that had to sign something that said a pledge that I'm going to do these things. It collected and so there is somewhat of a standard. Do I think that that needs to be amplified and increased because you're right, Zoran Will he could win in November and it will be a major, you know, benefit.
Speaker 1: To the progressive movement.
Speaker 3: But if he if there is not what you say, that standard that people can easily identify and say, this is what a progressive is right and hold him accountable right, and hold him accountable. And so when I said that I didn't consider of my progressive.
Speaker 1: It was based on what I know.
Speaker 3: I had found, the policy that I had committed myself to, and how some of the officials that he has supported has either stood in opposition of that.
Speaker 1: Opposed to you.
Speaker 2: No, I got that, And and my only argument is he was not. Because somebody says I supported a program you did does not mean that I support you and everything you do and I and it is very important. And now I will say that's one thing that progresses that they do.
Speaker 1: Do that.
Speaker 2: If I'm going to generalize this all or nothing purist tests and and that's that's very bad. Because I can say I support this program you put together, what she did with Kemp. That doesn't mean I support everything you know you bring to the table, and so and and and that. And I like to use relationships as examples because when people hear politicians, they get caught up in that. You know, I can say in my relationship, ninety percent of everything you do is on point. You know, if I if I rank the things that are most important, if I use ranked voting in my relationship, the things that are most important to me you do well. That mean that don't mean I like everything you do, but it does mean that I like this.
Speaker 3: He's being married, and my wife tells me about that all the times.
Speaker 1: I don't have to love everything you do in order to support.
Speaker 2: People, right, And it doesn't mean right, and it doesn't mean that I don't love you. And so we have to have some nuances. That's why nothing's getting done in politics, because there's no nuance to say I support this, but I'm not necessarily in favor in this. And so when you say he's supported Kemp, that's where I took issue because that, as you said, Howard reads, is I support all things Kemp does when that wasn't the case, when he would simply talking about one particular thing that he may have agreeved.
Speaker 3: That's all the piece set that you're talking about here around nuance is something that we get all benefit from because I do think that there were some folks who took support this program right and the absence of saying that I support something that Stacey did right before a major election, and there were a lot of black men, black voters who were like, oh, he supports Brian camp.
Speaker 1: I had these conversations.
Speaker 2: I was there.
Speaker 3: I saw I think you know to your point, like we as progressive need nuanced because I can't stand the all or nothing mentality either. Right, there are some pieces, there's some progressives who will say, if you're not a completely an anti capitalist, then you can't be a part of this tent.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, that's not realistic.
Speaker 3: Yet if capitalism was too far, some aspects of capitalism is still going to exist in whatever new should be created.
Speaker 2: And let me give a real time example. If you don't mind, I'm only saying it because you made it public. But I think this is a perfect example. You said, since you've been married, the LGBT invites stopped coming. So that's not fair. So everything that you've supported now that you're married, now all of a sudden, you see, how do they go now all of a sudden? Oh, I guess now you can't. You don't wrong with me or y'all don't think I support you because I'm doing something that maybe not all of y'all do. So that's why I like to use relationships as examples. We have to, and especially when it comes to black people, I'm particularly talking about black people because the bottom line is white people. Yea, we talking about black people because white people run the progressive movement, the modern movement, the Republican mo they run it off. But what black people we must We have to show each other some grace when it comes to nuance, because all we know is nuance. All we know is do a little bit of this and a little bit of that, from cooking, from cooking our food to let me put a little bit of lour re seasons all to a little bit of pepper, to a little bit of that. No, we know, right, All we know is a little bit of this and a little bit of that. So I just want us in the black political space to not be so quick to say, Okay, he was against her and he went with the white man, when number one, it was not true. However, you can certainly say I did not like the way he did not speak up for her in that moment. I don't like the way he advocated or he did support say what he liked about Camp and didn't say what he liked about Stacy. You got every right to say that, because you know what my answer is to that. Y'all wan't get to tell me what to say and how to say it no time. So that's my answer.
Speaker 1: I've been in the same situation with other people.
Speaker 3: There's times where I'm going to because you know, I'm a lobbyist. I've been a candidate for office, and so in order for me to get things done in the legislature, there's gonna be times where I have to talk to people and lean on my relationships that I have with people who are not of the same political affiliation. If you get anything done in the Georgia legislature, there's a Republican that you have to talk to.
Speaker 1: In order to get it done right.
Speaker 3: And so I do think that this all or nothing piece is important. The one piece that I do want to add is that, well, I know what it's like to work with Republicans. I also know being the power of my political capital. So, for example, if we are in a moment right now with Brian kim On on some shit, let's say it's medicaid expansion, We've got some Republicans to say, well, we'll support Medica expansion. Because Republicans in other states have supported medicaid expansion, We're one of the few states that have not, right, and I.
Speaker 1: Just got some hit paths with Brian on some other thing.
Speaker 3: Right right now we're in this big public fight about Medicaid expansion.
Speaker 1: I'm going to toll the line.
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not gonna praise Brian hit right now because right now.
Speaker 2: We in this.
Speaker 3: I can praise them tomorrow after we sort through this, but right now I can't get that.
Speaker 2: And and the key word is I. That's you. That's the key word. So and so, all I'm saying is.
Speaker 1: Just to use the political capital the way that fit.
Speaker 2: And guess what, you have the right to critique it all. All I'm saying, right, all I'm saying is when it comes to us and black people, when you was like, oh this this ain't the court of law, that's like, no, we gotta go live because I just want us to. I want us to think what a legal mind. Seriously, I really do, because they're gonna make They're gonna hold us to our words more than anybody, you know what I mean. They're gonna hold us to our work.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: And we just we just don't get grace around it, that's all. And so we can certainly critique people, we can challenge people to be better. We can say you should be a better advocate for X, y Z. You can this, you can get. What I would say is what I would caution people, and they can do what they want to do. But what I would caution people. What has what has not been working is people trying to what I've seen, bully people into saying what they should and better do at all it makes them do. Yeah, all it makes them do is say, well, you know what, I'm never gonna do it just because so No, And in fact, I.
Speaker 1: Think we have that's another conversation.
Speaker 3: But I do think that part of the reason why Trump this is not a new statement, but part of the reason why Trump has a certain level of appeal, and part of the reason why Zorn has the level of appealing in New York is because people appreciate when folks stay what's that.
Speaker 1: You agree with, staying on business right.
Speaker 3: And so I do feel like there's a piece of that where like, you know, killing my key, he defended himself, he explained himself on the view. You know, some people felt like that suffice, other people didn't. And that's fine. That doesn't mean that I also lead from this lens that I don't view.
Speaker 1: Black people as disposal.
Speaker 3: So even if I don't agree with you today, it doesn't mean that I can't work on some shit with you tomorrow on something that I do agree with. And I think that we do a disservice to our movement and to the work that we have to do as black people to get free when we feel like this is all or nothing mentality, or because I've called you out on something that I didn't like, then that means that we can't work together. Kill and Mike want to call me right there and work on my god boys, the dispensary program to get inst in Atlanta, to get a dispensary license, a grower's license under the city so that young black men can learn how to get in the industry. And because of his connections at the state, he can make that happen with the city and the state.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna work with it. I'm gonna advocate. We don't even ever have to talk. He can go on to meet with the governor. I'm gonna go to the meetings at city level. I'm gonna get in front of the local news.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna advocate, I'm gonna educate the public, and we're gonna get it done. And I think that's where sometimes it's political rhetoric. We lose that if we don't name from the jump that just because I disagree with you and I don't like everything that you did, doesn't mean that I can't work for it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. And my thing is the reason why we lose that is because it becomes accusatory, out the jibt and that, and that's all. That's all.
Speaker 3: I don't think that that's the reason because also the other thing is, while I feel the way that I feel about how killing Mike used or dedn't used his political capital in twenty twenty two, ultimately.
Speaker 1: Stacy Abrams was the one who was responsible to win that race. No killing Mike, you know what I'm saying. Right, So, like his endorsement wasn't necessarily gonna it might have made a break yet, I don't know.
Speaker 3: But ultimately it was her responsibility to win that race, and her consultancs and the people who worked on the campaign and all the folks who.
Speaker 2: Donated to yeah, the white folks that the white folks that was in charge, by the way, And that's all I'm saying, you.
Speaker 1: Know that, But a lot of the folks probably listening, and they don't know that so many of these candidates, including people that we like or.
Speaker 2: Not, right, all of them, yeah, all of them. We don't We don't have to say so many of them, all of them. Yes, that's it, And that's my only point that that was my only point of the original post. That people win. In another direction is that it's not about because when I respond to you about you know, older voters, younger voters, No, what I'm saying, they don't spend the money on young old in the middle bottom line like they the money just need Yeah, the money need to get spent. Yeah, the money need to get spent. Don't need to been spent last minute, and need to spend year round, right, year around. That was my only point. And then my only point was he did not endorse Kemp. But your your thoughts are valid. What you text me, I'm not taking away from your perspective. Again, I've invited you to revote several times, so I know what it is. No, but I do know, But I want to say this publicly. No, but I want to say this publicly because it's very important. Like when somebody like when you like don't diminish what I'm saying, because I'm like, no, I want to be clear. If I diminished, I never do that, Like I before you got on, I was saying, I'm not that type of person. Marcelle's is my co host, no radio experience. I met him from the comments. I don't diminish anybody's voice. If I diminish your voice, you would have never been invited on my show. So I'm not diminishing anybody. What I'm saying is we're speaking from different lenses and it it's important that we just hear each other out, want to hear you know, like what where we're coming from, what point we're trying to make. And then my overall point was no, we gotta always back our stuff up with evidence. And I'm just saying that just in general, because they will hold us to everything we say. That's all, and I just want that to be.
Speaker 3: Not that I'm getting in trouble. But you know, if you elected Christian be a legal counsel and retainer.
Speaker 2: Better believe it. You better believe I want my money up front.
Speaker 3: But but no, and so I'm gonna pay you on time because I definitely don't want you looking for me because I know you're right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true, that's true. But thank you for the conversation that I appreciate you. Send love to your wife, your beautiful baby, your family. Thank you for having the conversation. This is why the training is so important. I saw you win and looked at the free preview two guys. But those of you come to the training. Yeah, come to the training, guys, because we have got to understand how to organize. And that was the whole point of this tonight's episode. I want people to know there's a dollar associated Michelle is actually here in the comments. She joined and I used her as an example. When she ran for office in sixty days, she still had to spend five hundred dollars on flyers and a lot of people that I don't understand. There's a cost associated with that. It's not just you know, each one teach one. No, we actually have to spend money with flyers, knocking on doors, donuts, sandwiches. There's money for outreach, and black people are always left holding the bag with these multimillion dollar races. And so I was just saying, I'm not surprised that he did well, and I just don't want it to always be the quick. Well, it's the black older voters. They just don't know. No, let's look at these campaign finance support and see how much money they spent in to organize black young voters. They'll give you the answer. That'll give you the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. And you know, I love Anthelis, I love.
Speaker 3: Being educated, and so it's nothing for me to come to the training. Y'all need to come to the training.
Speaker 1: Listen. I've done Congressional Black Confice training.
Speaker 3: That's great. Don venturin to training, great, all of the things. I can even facilitate training. It doesn't matter what your experience level is. You always need to increase your knowledge and your skill set.
Speaker 1: Look, while you're learning from tense, you's gonna be learning from people in these in these courts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, con with and so it's also a networking opportunity.
Speaker 1: So like get get get plugged in, gime plugged in, yunk so much.
Speaker 2: All right, I appreciation to Devin, love you too, Okay, all right, peace, Well guys, that was a great, great impromptu. Uh we see Michelle's also joined us as well. I was just talking about Michelle earlier when I was talking about out again, Guys, organizing actually costs money. It's not some each one teach one and we just need to talk about it more. No, even if you want to organize people in the comments, it costs time to organize time. It costs to get phone banking to get people on the same page. Michelle, who's in the comments, real life candidate, had to do this in sixty days. I was on her head for sixty days. She did it out her own pocket. Guys.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So when I tell y'all that they are not spending money on black candidates, I mean that I'm gonna stand by that. I asked Michelle before, how much are you willing to spend on this? Because Michelle, I will tell y'all in real time. This way, y'all need to come to the training. Michelle's actually one of my trainers. By the way, they all star marce ellis with, well, how much do you plan on running? Oh, I'm gonna run and raised about ten fifteen thousand. Bet okay, Now, how much you're gonna spend your own money? Because you know what I knew. The reality is the reality is if you get on with only sixty days to win, whatever she thought she was gonna get didn't get. God, that's what they don't tell y'all in these trainings. Oh yeah, all you gotta do is call this one and raised it. No, the reality is, Michelle, how much are you winning to spend out your own pocket? That's what I asked my candidates right out the gate. That's great, if you go get that money, go get it, raised it, great, But how much you gonna put on it? Cause we need to know what the backup plan is. And if the backup plan is Marcella's ain't got none on it, then hey, we need to figure out something else because I need to know what you got on it, because you know what it came down to, Marcello's what Michelle had on it. Printing out her own brochures, taking them the kink oles and printing them out for a dollar to make sure them doors got flyed. That's the reality of running. And so many candidates have done that on their own with their own money, and they've organized black voters to believe in their candidacy on the local level, and then these major campaigns come in, These major candidates come in, call the Michelle and say, hey, mis why don't you help get them, you know, them thousand people you got to come to the polls. Why don't you come help them, get us to the polls and come take a picture with us. And they leave Michelle in the west spot. They leave her to continue to organize on her own, out her own pocket, and then y'all sit around in the college and say, just do it because it needs to be done, do it because it's a laborer love. Meanwhile, Michelle had to pay brothers and cousins and pay for donuts and food out her pocket. This is the real deal that what local candidates go through, and racists that are nationalized that bring in millions and millions and millions of dollars to help these people that y'all be sitting up here defending don't spend a dollar on the ground when it comes to local candidates like her who can help bring an extra thousand people to the polls. That's how it works. That's how it works, guys. And they don't tell you that because they want you so called up in the Trump and Obama and michell of it all, that they just completely don't tell you how it works. When you're running for city council, State Rep. Like Devon ran for city council. So Devin, she'll be able to say, I can get two thousand people to show up x y Z right now, but you got to pay to get that done. Not him getting paid to Greece's palm and not like that, just literally paid, you know, like literally the sandwiches, the donuts, the juice, paying people for their time. No, they want us to do it, and then when we don't show up the way they want us to, well, you know that's the problem. Black people don't show up. No, they don't show the money. And I'm sick of that being on us. All Right, guys, you've been listening to straight shoting No Chaser. Share this with the friend, Share this with an enemy, share it with somebody.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: We appreciate you, guys, and we'll see you next time.
Speaker 1: Feaste.
Speaker 2: If you like what you heard on straight Shot No Chaser, please subscribe and drop a five star review and tell a friend. Straight Shot No Chaser is a production of the Black Effect podcast Network in iHeartRadio on TESZLM figure Out and I like to thank our producer editor mixer Dwayne Crawford and our executive producer Charlottmagne da God. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.