Speaker 1: The following.
Speaker 2: He is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 3: Cowboys.
Speaker 2: This is Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw of Dating, preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys, and broadcasting live from Dallas Cowboys World headquarters at the Star.
Speaker 4: Good afternoon, everybody, Welcome back to Girls Talkboys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: I'm Jessinavaris, joined.
Speaker 4: Alongside of Eashan Morrison and Christy Scales over here.
Speaker 5: Ladies.
Speaker 4: Officially done with Week one of football across the NFL. A lot of storylines come out of Week one, but I think the biggest so far was yesterday's Monday night game against the Buffalo Bills and the New York Jets. Aaron Rodgers officially out for the rest of the season with an achilles tear. Wow, that is not how you expect a Monday night football game to go. I was definitely honed in watching as I'm sure both of you were.
Speaker 5: Christy, I know you were at Cowboys Hour.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It was literally on our way home. It just left the Star District in Frisco and turned on the radio, and the crowd's going wild because Rogers is running out on the field for the first time. And then within two minutes o'clock time, just four plays and he's out for the year. And what's funny is just forty five minutes earlier, Leyton Vandersh, who was the guest on The Cowboy Hour last night, was talking about how excited he was to go against Aaron Rodgers again and for the first time with the Jets, but Layton had gone with him, gone against him when Aaron was with the Packers, of course, and Layton was saying, was this is how you really can measure your defense, right, I mean, the different challenge is week to week, but going against one of the all time great quarterbacks in a future Hall of Famer, he felt like it would be a good measure for late and personally, but particularly for the unit overall. But instead it's going to be Zach Wilson getting the start for the Jets Sunday afternoon at and T Stadium.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and we always talk about here on the podcast just how hard it is to see these injuries happen to any player across the NFL. But Aaron Rodgers' story in particular of closing the chapter with the Green Bay Packers deciding to go to the New York Jets, the Jets really building this team around him. He finally gets this start. He's running off on the field at the start of the game, holding the American flag in tribute for the nine to eleven memorial that they did before the game.
Speaker 5: The crowd is electrified.
Speaker 4: The tweets before the game were him running with that flag, how excited everybody was. Four plays into the entire game, and you just knew something was wrong. You could just see it. The way he got up. He had this really weird look on his face, and then he went down. He didn't crash down, He just kind of sat down, rolled back, got up, and sat, I should say.
Speaker 5: And then that's when the medical staff went to go to him. Are you shaw.
Speaker 4: I'm sure you were watching the game, but for you, it's just such a shocking moment. I feel like a lot of us are still in shock, kind of taking in what happened with Aaron Rodgers. What did you see when all of that happened. I mean, it was just so quick.
Speaker 3: Why I'm gonna lie, y'all.
Speaker 6: The older I get, the more I accidentally take naps, and so I woke up from a nap and literally as soon as I woke up was when it was happening. So I woke up my TV's on because I had already had a set on the game, and I was like, ain't no way.
Speaker 3: Bro, Like, it's devastating.
Speaker 6: And I think in my lifetime we experienced some of the Tony Romo injuries and stuff, but Dak Prescott's the first quarterback that I've studied from college into the league, and to see him be out with that ankle injury and just how much that shook the team up in that moment, but then also to around him, but then also to just the feeling the weight of knowing the extent of his injury. And during that time, I empathize for the Jets fans and stuff because there was just a lot of optimism to what Aaron Rodgers could bring to the team. So I feel for the fan base, definitely feel for the team, even though I think they're going to rally behind twoever's back there, but it was it was tough, and to see the responses on social media, it was not I mean, it ended well, but you still could feel it you know what I'm saying, you still could feel it. So someone that great, that important to the game, to see him get injured like that is tough any time.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, the Jets would pull off the overtime win twenty two to sixteen. What an ending And what was so chilling about it was the excitement that everybody had right.
Speaker 5: When when the game ended. Everyone was so happy, so excited.
Speaker 4: But then you just you watch it and you kind of just look at the wind for what it is in the moment, and as soon as the game ends, you remember, whoa, Yeah, there's a really big injury. This really could change the course of things. And it's Aaron Rodgers. It's not just any quarterback you're talking about. Not to say that, you know, he's more important than the next guy that gets hurt, That's not the case. It's he is a once in a lifetime quarterback, whether we like to say it or not, whether we like to admit it or not. Here in Dallas, he really is a quarterback of the time.
Speaker 7: Oh we know better than anybody Alas because it's been yeah, boogeyman, dagger to the heart for the of the Cowboys, and man, I will admit he is my all time favorite NFL player to watch non Dallas Cowboy. I love to watch Aaron Rodgers. He's special. And it was crystallized that twenty sixteen Divisional Round playoff Cowboys loss. That was the one at at and T Stadium where it's third and twenty and Rogers rolls to the left and throws the ball in. Jerry Cook, the tight end for the Packers, just comes out of nowhere, going towards the sideline and goes down to his knees and catches the ball. Byron Jones for the Cowboys actually had good coverage there, but as Rogers was rolling left that ball it was coming right to me. I was like a third baseman ready to catch it on one hot and then all of a sudden, Cook just you know, from your peripheral vision you could see him coming over. It's like, huh, this one's out of bounce, and then suddenly he caught it, and then Mason Crosby kicks the field goal to win and Cowboys another exit from the playoffs. And he's just the guy is just a shive to the heart every time, you know, for Cowboys fans. But you know, that win was incredible though And what was really cool from a local perspective is the young rookie who had the punt return touchdown for the Jets, Xavier Gibson, of course, became known. If you've been watching Hard Knocks on Max, you know that you know a little bit about his story. But he's a local Dallas kid, Woodrow Wilson High School and then went to Steven F. Austin. So what a what an ending and what an introduction to the NFL for Gibson?
Speaker 3: Absolutely yeah.
Speaker 7: And that Jets defense, oh yeah, it gives us plenty to talk about.
Speaker 4: Man, gives us plenty to talk about as we start to kind of turn the page here on Girls Talk, Boys Talk for the matchup against the Jets.
Speaker 5: One thing I did want to mention is Jerry Jones went on one O five to three The Fan this morning.
Speaker 4: Of course he was asked about his reaction to the injury, and he was just very quick to say, you know, it was sickening. It just made him feel sick, made everybody feel sick that had to see it. He was He said he was reminded at how fragile a season can be for a player, and it's funny that you bring up the Jared Cook catch because he said that Aaron Rodgers has taken his toll on the Cowboys with two specific games in mind, that was one of them, the other one. Can anybody guess what the other game was with the Packers that he needed to does the does catch one? Because des did catch it, as we know, And so.
Speaker 5: He talked about those two moments.
Speaker 4: But overall, Jerry Jones just very somber when he was talking.
Speaker 7: About it's bad for the league, you know, to lose one of the premier guys, and there are all sorts of repercussions. The Green Bay Packers instead of getting a first round draft pick and trade, they're going to get a second round pick because Rogers is not going to play two thirds of the snaps this year. Look at all the money that is against the Jets cap for uh, their starting quarterback and a franchise future Hall of Famer, and then you know, and he signed seventy five million dollars guaranteed, and even if he wants to come back next year in rehabs, he will be older. So I mean, these are these are serious consequences, not just for the Jets, but there's a ripple effect that that touches the whole league, And and what about what about the NFL schedule makers? Why are the Jets on so many primetime games and being featured and stuff?
Speaker 5: That might change? It might it might.
Speaker 7: I mean later in the league when you have some flexing, maybe they get flexed out. But hey, we saw that defense last night for the Jets. This is still this is still going to be a team to contend with. And and you see their run game, and so you know, Zach Wilson hadn't done anything in his first two years in the in the NFL other than falling to third stream quarterback. But now he has his chance and a new coordinator and and so you know, we'll see now he has a chance to prove himself. He was the second overall pick in the NFL draft.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think it'll look a lot like what the Cowboys look like with Cooper Rush, especially since your defense is so explosive. Can turn the ball over?
Speaker 3: Can you know? Pressure at a high clip?
Speaker 6: You probably take a conservative, conservative game plan moving forward with Zach Wilson. Just let him methodically use the run game. But I will tell you, if they can't run the ball, it's gonna be a problem.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but they got Breis Hall and then's.
Speaker 3: Cook and that's fine and dandy.
Speaker 6: But I'm saying like there's if they come up against the team that can stop the run, there's a lot of issues in the passing department, especially from.
Speaker 3: Their offensive line standpoint better in the run gang. I know we'll get to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, we'll get there. I also just wanted to make mention that Mike McCarthy just talked about facing Aaron.
Speaker 5: Rodgers again yesterday during his press conference as well.
Speaker 4: He said, let's see that he was excited to see him again, and most of all, he was excited about this.
Speaker 5: New chapter in Aaron Rodgers' life, and Aaron knew that.
Speaker 4: So it's just so chilling when you think about the timing of these things.
Speaker 5: McCarthy had just said that.
Speaker 4: Right before we came on here on Girls Talk, Boys Talk, we go home, we're settled in, we're taking in thep we're doing Cowboys Hour, feeding the dogs. You know, we're doing things kind of right after this, and then this happens, and it's just so shocking still, So we wanted to make that we'll get into more of the key matchups with the jets as the week continues on, but we did want to continue to kind of break down what we saw from the Dallas Cowboys Week one against the New York Giants.
Speaker 5: Continue to do that. Text us your questions.
Speaker 4: You might have eight one seven, two nine zero three two nine eight, so we can make sure to get to.
Speaker 5: Those as well. We're gonna take our first break.
Speaker 4: But coming up, we have a specific wide receiver to talk about and his speed, so stay tuned.
Speaker 5: We'renna talk about in the second.
Speaker 8: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Pepsi, baby, the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the butt, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice cold coola a journey to footopia.
Speaker 5: Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like I.
Speaker 1: Take that day. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Joy and Jigsaw Dating Today, Dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We are talking all things Cowboys, offense and special teams. But first, do you eat, sleep, and breathe Dallas Cowboys Football. Tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself or another todayt Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 5: Text us your questions.
Speaker 4: We're taking questions for the next two segments. Ask us anything your.
Speaker 5: Heart desires Cowboys related.
Speaker 4: Please at eight one seven, two nine zero three two nine eight so we can get to your questions. Lady, something that we didn't get to mention yesterday and as soon as we left here, I think I even told that Yosha.
Speaker 5: Oh, we didn't mention this.
Speaker 4: It's been sitting on my heart, so happy to talk about it. That is Jalen Tolbert being this team starting gunner and John Fossil talked about it yesterday as well, which I just think is so awesome to see this. Jalen Tolbert comes from a background that doesn't really have him pegged as a special teams guy. However, for him to come in his second year, after you know, a year not full of opportunity for him, and then to come in not only solidify a spot in the offense, but also now in special teams in that gunner position, I think is so incredibly cool for him. Really excited to see that. John Fossil yesterday made mention saying that he is committed to being a player on special teams and he's becoming a No Brown type guy for that unit.
Speaker 5: So just really excited to see that.
Speaker 4: Ayisha, this is something that I think you had mentioned well before we saw it come to light. Something you've seen from JT and you talked to him. You've talked to him all year, he talked to him all last year. Is his confidence boost? How is that going to help him in that gunner position.
Speaker 6: I mean, well, special teams is just the We've talked about it the other day. It's just the physicality of it and just getting involved in that also too. But there's specialized you know, jobs and things within playing special teams that you have to be on assignment.
Speaker 3: Your timing has to be.
Speaker 6: Right, you have to be there, and I just think I just think him having some responsibility outside of being a receiver maybe not getting any He didn't get them any opportunity.
Speaker 3: I don't think he really got that. He did.
Speaker 6: He got a couple snaps at the end of the game last game. But it'll keep them warm too, keep them active, keep them involved, And I think that matters when you have a young player that's trying to continue that confidence. Having a spot on special teams and him earning that allows him to stay on the field in some way and to continue to keep that confidence. Because we're on the sidelines a lot, it's very easy for that to dwindle.
Speaker 7: Sure, Absolutely, when you're the fourth, fifth, and or sixth wide receiver on an NFL team, you have to play special teams.
Speaker 3: If you're the.
Speaker 7: Second, third, fourth running back, same thing, second third, fourth tight end, Absolutely you're going to be a core guy, and Tolbert had only gotten one rep at gunner in preseason action and that was Game two. But yes, you're right, Jess, he didn't have that background at University of South Alabama.
Speaker 3: He was too valuable, you know, he was.
Speaker 7: Offensive player of the Year for the conference, and they're not going to risk their top wide receiver out there. He said that he had only fielded two punts. We had him for our first Cowboys Hour of the year and that was actually Labor Day that evening. Anyway, he said that twice he had been on the field in college and it was for safe punt return, you know, just make sure you catch the punt and don't fumble it or don't return it. And that was his vast experience of special teams in college. But you know, I think that people forget what a great duo the Cowboys had at gunner with Kelvin Joseph and C. J. Goodwin. And so when Kelvin Joseph was traded to Miami just a couple of weeks before the season regular season started, then that was the opening in Jalen Tolbert. He's embraced the challenge and Jes you're right. He did draw praise from coach Fossil yesterday, so I was glad to hear Fossils always enthusiastic about everything, but it's certainly well placed when it comes to Jalen.
Speaker 4: You know, it's so funny you see John Fossil and you just don't know what you're gonna get. Ayusha and I were standing outside the locker room last week waiting for the players to come in, and I don't know if you're standing right there yet, but we see Bones walking in and he has a scooter, like this random scooter that he's writing in, and we're like, what is he doing? And then didn't he have a ball or something too?
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 5: How you doing? Just living great coach.
Speaker 4: I've talked to past players a lot about how much he's impacted their life, and I don't think he gets enough praise. I don't think he gets enough credit for the kind of coach that he.
Speaker 5: Is and the impact he has on these guys.
Speaker 4: Sometimes, let's talk a little bit more special teams. Christy, I know you wanted to make mention of this because again we like to give all credit to all units here on the podcast, But let's talk about a couple interesting nuggets from special teams that you saw kind of things that went wrong but could end up going right for the Cowboys in the long run. Specifically with Brandon Aubrey and his missed kick. Tell us a little bit more about what happened and kind of how that can help be a learning lesson for Brandy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, a huge one. Coach Fossil was talking about this. But if you recall the missed extra point, it was early in the game, and so it was after the first touchdown obviously, and that was the blocked field goal returned. And so that's called sudden change, all right. It's like if there's a turnover and sudden you know, let's say when Stefan Gilmore got the interception and then the offense has to run out there's that sudden change when you have a surprise touchdown, like on a blocked field goal and now Cowboys now the extra point team, the field goal team has to run out there to convert the extra point. That sudden change. So what John was pointing out with the mix with Aubrey, the learning the teaching point and something that Aubrey learned very quickly.
Speaker 3: And made the adjustment.
Speaker 7: They go out, Brandon Aubrey goes up out there and he gets set in his place, and the linemen aren't even ready to go. Brian Angers not even down, So Brandon Aubrey for like twelve seconds is in his spot kind of waiting for everyone else to get set. Well, that kind of waiting and just kind of the timing and everything it was all off. So Aubrey needs to pace himself in terms of going out there and going through his process and getting set and everything and making it synchronized with his teammates. So a sudden change score Aubrey getting out there a little early, rushing it, and just kind of the timing being off with everything else. So I know that that sounds like a lot of minutia, but in the NFL, where games are in tenths of seconds, it can be very important. And then the other thing that coach was talking about was the blocked field goal itself, And remember how one we talked about it yesterday, Yanye Thomas, the terrific play that he made going in and blocking the field goal, and Bones was talking about how at the walk through Sunday morning, you know that since it was a night game eight twenty Eastern kickoff. When it's a night game, the team will do its final walkthroughs on offense, defense, and special teams at the team hotel on Sunday morning or Monday morning if it's a Monday night game. But they're going through just a few things, so for kickblock, field goal units, and CJ. Goodwin had pulled one ye aside and said, okay, on this, here's a specific scenario and if you get this, then you do this through this gap, all that kind of stuff, and by golly, that's what happened on the I'm sorry, I said, field goal block, yeah, yeah, field go block yep. And so CJ his what he said to one ye Thomas that morning is exactly what happened. And then one year made the play and Noah took it in for the score.
Speaker 5: Noah Igbinoghny, every good job.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I blew it last night on Cowboy.
Speaker 5: We're still getting used to it.
Speaker 3: Repetition it does.
Speaker 5: I had to said that you should have a voice note of how to say it.
Speaker 3: Just saved it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she saved my voice note. She said, can you send me a voice out of how to say it? So I said, no, what monogamy? And then I sounded it at her and now we're good.
Speaker 4: Something else I wanted to make sure to mention about that is CJ. Goodwin was the special team's captain. He was elevated from the practice squad special teams captain for week one.
Speaker 5: I should talk all things CJ.
Speaker 4: Goodwin and what a good win this man is for the Cowboys special teams please.
Speaker 6: I mean, honestly, I'm sure Christy would know more than me in that department.
Speaker 3: I'm just not learning about.
Speaker 6: All of the specifics of being a special teams player and to be be I mean, Goodwin has made his career being a special teams player. That's just speak to you on how good he is at, you know, being the general on that side of the ball.
Speaker 3: Bones is.
Speaker 6: I think I would, I would. I would consider him Bones's voice on the field, and I think every coordinator has a guy like that. He's that guy for this team and that's why they keep that cornerback slot for him. That's why when we talk about roster cuts, you're just like, well, he's gonna be on the team because it's not just because of the athleticism and what he does, because he's still.
Speaker 3: He'll tell you he's lost a little bit. He'll tell you he's a little slower.
Speaker 6: Than what he used to be because he has gotten older. But just also to just getting guys in the position. Like he said, he's played a lot of football. He's seen a lot of fronts, he's seen a lot of kickers, He's seen a lot of stuff. So where we talk about this team, how there's a veteran or multiple veterans at every position on both sides of the ball, then CJ.
Speaker 3: Goodwin is that for the special teams players.
Speaker 4: Bones had mentioned in that press conference of CJ. Goodwin never aging, he said, as it gets older, he just does not age. He just and you know, I think that comes with mentality because physically we all age, we all get older, and as a football player, your job is to be very physical on your body. So obviously that's good to take its toll, and it's time and as you get older and you're in the league long enough, that's going to take its phase on you.
Speaker 5: However, I really like CJ.
Speaker 4: Goodwin's mentality and he's somebody that I would like to get to talk to a little bit more as the season goes on.
Speaker 5: But Christy, as far as what CJ.
Speaker 4: Goodwin can bring to this special team's unit weeke in week out and just special teams in general.
Speaker 5: We know how important it is.
Speaker 4: How much of an impact does he have for this unit as a whole, being that general, that leader for everybody to follow.
Speaker 7: Suit with special teams. Kicking game, it's measured not in tenths of seconds, but hundreds of seconds. So the difference in getting a field goal off and one point two eight seconds that would be from the time the long snapper begins the snap, it goes to the holder, the holder puts the ball down, places it, and the kicker's foot strikes it. One point two eight to one point three to zero seconds is the difference between successful kick and it being blocked. So yeah, you have to be exactly right, no missteps, no mistiming. Everything has to be perfect. And when you talk about the mentality to detail, and it takes for that. Do we have time? I think I told this story last year, but the muck raking story for CJ.
Speaker 5: Goodwin, shall I?
Speaker 7: Because I know I know that we have new viewers and listeners. Tell me to the Girls Talk, Boys Talk podcasts. So for those of you who heard this early last year, it's worth you and again because it's such a great story. CJ is from West Virginia but near the Pittsburgh Market. One of the great steelers of all time, Mel Blunt, part of the Steel Curtain and the great defensive backs in NFL history, has a farm in West Virginia and it's one of these working farms and UH would host like youth camps and trouble you things like that. Well, see J see played basketball with mel Blunt's son, and CJ had relatives that worked on mel Blunt's farm. So when CJ is a teenager, he takes a job working on mel Blunt's farm, literally mucking, mucking stalls, shoveling, bleep. Okay, that's what he does. He's playing basketball. He has no intentions of being an NFL player. He wants to play basketball. He ends up getting scholarship to small college. He's playing basketball. But mel Blunt has followed his career and been like a mentor to him, and by the time CJ even finishes high school, Mel's given him a promotion to where he's working like as a counselor. When the younger kids come to the farm for those kind of camps and retreats. So at one point, after a couple of years of playing college basketball, Mel encourages Cig to play football, and he does. He plays a couple of years as wide receiver for a couple more small colleges, and Mel, for the first time ever as a great Steelers legend, calls the Pittsburgh Steelers and asks for a favor. Ask the Steelers to give this young kid named CJ, a wide receiver, a tryout one of these offseason tryouts, and he's Mel Blunt. So the Steelers do CJ. Of course, he doesn't get drafted, but he does get a tryout and he makes it on the practice squad, and then he goes to Atlanta and now he's been in the NFL four man Yeah, so eight years. But yeah, he was an undrafted rookie free agent and on the practice squad for Pittsburgh in twenty fourteen. Gets signed to the Falcons practice squad in twenty fifteen, ends up playing fourteen games the following year. Then he goes to Arizona, plays twelve games, and then he doesn't. Then he's kind of wallowing around the league a little bit. Cincinnati practice squad, the Cowboys sign him off the Cincinnati practice squad in October of twenty eighteen, and he's been one of the mainstays, not just a special team so one of the good guys, one of the glue guys, one of the leaders on the team since then. So because he muck stalls, Mel Blunt knew the character of this kid and knew what a hard worker he was, gave him a chance several years later a phone call to the Steelers for a tryout. They see his athleticism. It's when he went to Atlanta that they converted him to a defensive back. But obviously his destiny was to be a special teams Maven and he.
Speaker 5: Is absolutely love Christy.
Speaker 4: Your stories so good, so impactful, and just shows a lot about who's CJ.
Speaker 5: Goodwin. Really well.
Speaker 7: You know, people think that these NFL players that they've been coddled their whole lives and they've been the stars of their foot to case since they were six years old. Oh, there's there's so many different stories.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Well, we're going to take our next break. Keep sending your questions in. You can send them at eight one seven, two, nine zero three two ninety eight.
Speaker 5: We're going to answer questions.
Speaker 4: In this last segment, we're also going to take a look at this right here. This is the Cowboys twenty twenty three schedule, and how we could possibly see things going. Now that we have a little bit of a glimpse into the twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys, we're talking all of that more. This is Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsau, the preferred dating partner the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: We'll be here back.
Speaker 1: At Jigsaw Dating. We obviously want the Cowboys to bring that sixth ring home, but to be honest, we're more focused on finding the person who will put a ring on your finger. That's why we created a dating app that reveals your face through meaningful conversation so you can date deeper, because it's personality that matters the most, not looks. Join Jigsaw Dating today, dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 8: You know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans.
Speaker 3: It's a sip.
Speaker 8: Away from perfection.
Speaker 5: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 8: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory topping, there's no topping.
Speaker 3: A cool Pepsi.
Speaker 8: Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jigsaw, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys. We are continuing our twenty twenty three Dallas Cowboys Talk. However, let's talk about NFL Flag Let's play in this game. There's a position for everyone, no matter who you are. A flag is your chance to run through, jump and fly. This is your chance to get involved in the action and join the Flag football movement. Learn more and find a league at nflflag dot com.
Speaker 5: Sounds good.
Speaker 4: There, text us your question so we can get to them by the end of the segment. You can text us at eight one seven, two nine zero three two nine to eight. All right, ladies, let's continue this talk. We didn't really get into much offense, so I wanted to make mention of that because what you saw is obviously a very dominant defense. We know that we talked about that. That's really what the talk of the game was but I wanted to make no of the offense.
Speaker 5: I wanted to really.
Speaker 4: Dive deep into that this last segment as well. Take a quick look at the Cowboys schedule. Keep in mind, the Cowboys will play your Jets this Sunday, Week two at home. Then they're away in Arizona the following Sunday. The following Sunday after that, they're back home.
Speaker 5: For the Patriots.
Speaker 4: So that's just a little glimpse ahead. Let's talk about the Cowboys offense. So a good starting point for them, I'll call it. Are you sure when you went back and you watched them at the tape, what are some of the things that you really noticed from this Cowboys offense as being effective, not just for the offense as a whole, but Dak Prescott specifically.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, when you go back and look at it, I understood why it was difficult for them to get into a rhythm because they weren't on the field that much and then they were on and off, and obviously.
Speaker 3: The rain and things like that.
Speaker 6: But I really was looking at I really was looking at how he delivered the ball, some of the play schemes, any pressure that came really came from the interior with the Doga and be Odish being on the other side of things like they had their hands full there. But the drive after the half is probably the best drive to refer to.
Speaker 3: Which was which was?
Speaker 6: I think it was the slant to gallop, the really quick slant to gallop, and then Dak threaded the needle to ceedee lamb and.
Speaker 3: Beyotdish was actually almost in his lap with that throw. That was interesting. And then you.
Speaker 6: Had the twenty five yard run with Tony Pollard where the tight ends we mentioned it yesterday they blocked their tails off, so you had eighty six schoonmaker Henny and a ferg with Terrence Steele lead blocking and ceiling off so Tony Poller could get that could get that twenty five yard run. And then Rico Daddo came through right behind Big seventy. As we've seen before show some of his power had the drop td by Henny at that point. But you could see again, like I said, you could see the rhythm, some of the schemes, some of the tempo that they wanted to change within the game. Then you had the TP screen, the really nice screen that was real pretty and he fumbled the ball, but I believe that Shady mentioned that the fact that Tyler Biottish was where he was supposed to be was really the reason he was able to recover that that fumble, which was important. And then you had Lipkey, you know, shades of the had lifty lead blocking for the TP touchdown.
Speaker 3: So I really that was the drive that I really wanted to.
Speaker 6: Refer to, because I felt like you could look at the rest of the game and see little pieces of things that you liked.
Speaker 3: The rub routes, the double rub routs.
Speaker 6: Man, listen, you you saw some of the intent to create separation, and we talked about that so much last year.
Speaker 3: It was the lack of separation.
Speaker 6: You could see schematically that there are things that Mike McCarthy put in place to create separation, get some easy throws for these wide receivers, and those were some of those are just some of the few things I noticed in this in this game to start, not a lot to go off of, but just enough to kind of get a vision for what the offense could be.
Speaker 7: Yeah, be Hoddish recovering that Pollard fumble and it was so crucial, And then there was a play earlier in the game where it looked like the Giants had that possible interception there in the end zone that Uh throw to the Tide end, but the cornerback came off of Cooks and nearly intercepted the ball. But I think the main thing about the offense is because the otdish got on the ball because the Giant defender didn't make the interception, they were not self inflicted wounds. And that was the number one thing. What is statistically the number one determining factor in NFL games who wins the turnover battle. And the Cowboys obviously dominated that on Sunday, and I thought that the offense was just efficient enough.
Speaker 3: They didn't they didn't.
Speaker 7: You know, turn the ball over, and there were not a lot of penalties in the game, so it was overall a clean, efficient game. But I love what you said. You mentioned lip Key, and we talked yesterday about how they were using turpin and lined up in the backfield and so we didn't McCarthy didn't play all of his hand. He didn't have to at forty to nothing. But it was to see the way that they deployed the personnel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one more thing, the offensive line, Sorry, no, go ahead. Yeah, but the offensive line is what I was also paying attention to. Somehow they were pinning and pulling ceiling off. There's a and I believe that Tyron Smith talked about it on one of five point three the Fan when they interviewed him at training camp.
Speaker 3: He said, we're taking it to guys. Now.
Speaker 6: There's an aggression that you see from this offensive line that is far less reactive and more proactive about being the aggressors in the play. And I think that's gonna pay dividends moving forward, especially when you start playing teams like the Jets and stuff like that. I do think this was a good test interior wise for this defense.
Speaker 3: Who is gonna be this offensive line?
Speaker 6: Rather that's going to be challenged next week with the Jets coming in, because yeah, they pose a lot of issues with their front four getting home without having to bring.
Speaker 3: An extra blitzer or anything like that too.
Speaker 7: So tiring out Lead and Turpin on that, Oh man, that was beautiful.
Speaker 3: Funn to see moving in space.
Speaker 7: Outside zone run And how'd you like to be the dB with big Tyrant coming right at you?
Speaker 6: He looks so big compared to everyone else out there.
Speaker 4: Real quick, something I wanted to mention was Mike McCarthy talked about penalties in this game in his press conference. He said, to him, there's three kinds of penalties. There's a pre snap, the post snap, and competitive penalties.
Speaker 5: And with competitive penalties.
Speaker 4: What he means is that there's a bit of a gray area, and that gray area means, look, you were fighting for something, it didn't work out in your favor.
Speaker 5: It is what it is.
Speaker 4: But then there's also, you know, just inexcusable penalties, which to him are the pre snap penalties that get them in trouble.
Speaker 5: He specifically mentioned.
Speaker 4: Jaron Curse's unnecessary roughness penalty that costs let's say it was fifteen yards enforced at the New York thirty eight, which that play was a little weird. Went back to watch that that was a little weird, a little weird penalty there. He talked about that being an example of players excelling in the gray areasing to really learn from not necessarily something to penalize.
Speaker 5: No pun intended JK.
Speaker 4: For with that as well, So I wanted to make sure to mention that I think it was Christy it said it was a clean game.
Speaker 5: So I just wanted to throw that out there as well. It was good.
Speaker 6: That's I mean immediately when I saw JK do that, And if you know anything about JK.
Speaker 3: Now, granted, Daniel.
Speaker 6: Jones does not slide often, and I think that played a role too. And how late he how late it was because on tape if you watch him, he's not sliding that much, so I think may have surprised him to slide.
Speaker 3: But it's it's kind of a tone setting thing too.
Speaker 6: That's I'm gonna be here all night, homie, We're gonna be here all night.
Speaker 3: That that that's what that was about.
Speaker 6: So I get with mich McCarthy. I'm glad that he clarified that too, because for a.
Speaker 3: Lot of people, they were like, what is he doing?
Speaker 6: It was such a boneheaplate, No baby, he's trying to let him know, keep doing that if you want to, it's gonna be a long night for you.
Speaker 3: And it was.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think I think he's very focused on those pre snap penalties of course, being you know, more of an issue there as well. Something I wanted to mention about playing with this aggressive play style is you mentioned Tyler Beyotdish and he's somebody that I talked to you in the locker room. When I have any kind of offensive line question, I just go straight to Tyler. I'm like, hey, I need your help with this.
Speaker 5: This what am I seeing? Can you dissect it for me?
Speaker 4: And he has such a brilliant football mind, the way he works and the way he operates, and so talking to him has just giving me a deeper appreciation for that center position just in general and how much he does. But I was asking him because it was a topic of conversation of Oh, my goodness, is Tyler Beotdish so chippy all of a sudden? Where did this come from? This is so new and it's not new. His chippy play style is not new. So I wanted to talk to him about it and kind of just see where his mindset was. And I loved his answer when we had this conversation. He said, you know, that conversation obviously came from what happened in training camp with the scuffles, and it kind.
Speaker 5: Of carried forward.
Speaker 4: He said, there's a difference between being chippy in practice and being part of an NFL practice competition, and then being smart and taking that competition into a game. He said, obviously, there's some stuff you're going to do in practice that you're not going to do in a game time scenario because that wouldn't be playing smart football. He said, So you have to be aggressive, you have to be chippy, you have to have your teammates' backs, but most importantly, you have to be smart about when you're doing that, and you have to be disciplined. That comes with the discipline aspect of his game. So I just loved that he mentioned that because Tyler Briottish to me, he's like a bear, right, Like you go talk to him in the locker room, he's very nice, he's very polite, a little soft spoken, and then you see him on the field and he is like a grizzly bear, right. So I absolutely I commend Tyler. Well, I just I support how Tyler Piottish operates with his game so so much, such an important player, and I'm glad he got more attention season.
Speaker 7: Usually the offensive lineman, the biggest guys, but the softest hearts sometimes, Oh yeah, sweetest. And you know Terrence Steele, very soft spoken and he tells them.
Speaker 6: He tells the that line going back and looking at film on him, Oh he's the one yeah.
Speaker 3: He's the one.
Speaker 6: He's the one that if Tyler wants advice on how to be chippy and not get caught up in game.
Speaker 3: Man, Terrence is the best at it.
Speaker 6: Because even when I think Tpad is first TD, they were kind of holding on him too long, and Terrence was like he ran up, like all right, man, let it, let him go. Like he's very he's very vocal, and he he'll get in there.
Speaker 3: You'll see him on the film.
Speaker 7: There's the art to it. You know who the best trash talker on the Cowboys was, let's say, through the previous decade, the twenty tens. Well, actually he played so long the aughts as well, Jason witten By far but you never saw it and you never heard it. He would like make a play or something. He'd be walking past one of the defenders and not under his breath because it was loud enough for the defender to hear it.
Speaker 3: But he oh my gosh. Yeah.
Speaker 7: You ask any of the guys in the locker room who's one of the best trash talkers, and oh, dazz or this is, They're like, Witting's the one that'll get the burns in. It's just that he's very subtle about.
Speaker 4: It, absolutely real quick. For times sake, I want to go around. We're going to get into all of the Jets matchups and everything like that starting tomorrow and girls talk, boys talking. We'll do that for the rest of the week. I want to ask you, guys, after all of the scrutiny and just coverage that this team got in the off season for losing in the playoffs, obviously you know what the downfalls were. You know what areas of improvement were needed after this first game. What gives you the most hope of the area of improvement that they put work in the most during the off season?
Speaker 7: Defense picking up where it left off last year in terms of the takeaways and the great pass rush and the aggression and then seeing the young guys stepping in and making big contributions right away. And by that I mean like the Marquise Bells and the one ye thomass Man of the world. So I would say that because you know, the offense it was, it was fine, it was efficient, but you know the best is yet to come with that. But the defense picking off up where it left off.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean you mentioned and I know I heard. I think Mike McCarthy mentioned a couple of weeks ago, like they're aware that teams are going to If I'm a team and I watched what the Cowboys just did from a past rushing standpoint, we are going to try to run the ball the best that we can. I don't care, and I think you can expect teams to do that moving forward.
Speaker 3: But when you look at.
Speaker 6: This revamped linebacker corps, let me tell you, what dan Quinn is doing is so inventive, It is so beautiful.
Speaker 3: I think it's going.
Speaker 6: To change how people look at the linebacker position, be with the use of the safeties. I don't know if I've ever seen anything like this. I don't know if you've seen anything like this. Christy Marquise Bell coming in going back to watch the film on him and Wan Ye also was really I was so excited, Like I I was calling people before I got here.
Speaker 3: I was like, y'all, well, did y'all see this bro?
Speaker 6: Just the lateral quickness, how well he tackles, how physical he is in the box, and he's okay with doing that, with making tackles. The Cowboys run defense is the thing that people really were nervous about. And when I look at some of the things that they're doing with the different fronts, but also the usage usage of the safeties to come in there slash and be able to They're physical enough to make the tackles and to be punishing, but they're also fast enough to wear offensive line you can't get their hands on. Oh yeah, the speed, The speed is the lateral quickness.
Speaker 3: Everything was great.
Speaker 6: So to me, that's what I have to look forward to is that I understand that on that first drive you kind of seen you saw some leakage, you saw some stuff. But as soon as dan Quinn figured out this lineup's not working, it was fixed. He put those guys in there and they started really clamping down in the run, sidelined the sideline, all of that.
Speaker 7: And just to follow up on that point, Layton vander esh and the Cowboy Hour last night was talking about the unscripted the looks.
Speaker 3: Yea, and they were different.
Speaker 7: Than the un scouted looks. Yes, they were different, he said, because Mike McCarthy said, usually it's about thirty five percent unscouted looks, he said, he said, we were getting about seventy five percent.
Speaker 3: Say that it's a great point.
Speaker 6: Yes, and you could tell looking at the beginning of that game because I just watched. It's fresh on me because I just watched it before I got here, and you saw the over communicating. And that's one thing about the Cowboys. Most of the time, they're quick to the line. There's not a lot of over communicating, but you could tell that they were trying to sort through things.
Speaker 3: Also, dan Quinn went small. He went with a small lineup to start. If I'm not mistaken, it was.
Speaker 7: Started.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was a it was a smaller lineup with I think Chauncey Golston was in there at some point in time. Uh. And then and again, like I think that they thought they were going to see things differently than what they saw. They adjusted and then you saw that run defense shore up like it was against the forty nine ers. I think they found good things to build upon to keep this this run defen Bay and that's important moving forward because I think that's how teams are going to attack you.
Speaker 4: I want to talk about more defense, but I want to talk about the secondary.
Speaker 5: Can we talk about how.
Speaker 4: Short up that secondary is with Stefan Gilmour, Because what I really liked about this when dan Quinn was asked about Trayvon Diggs, and you know, he's not necessarily the one being the ballhawk in the moment he said, he's a mindfulness of getting the football no matter where it is. So whether that's making the pass breakup, making a strong tackle that ends up.
Speaker 5: In a ball fumble, and then you know, the.
Speaker 4: Rest is history from there, he's a mindfulness to now be able to do that. And I think, to me, it's Trayvon Diggs just playing finally, kind of a sigh of relief that you have a guy on the other side that's there to help.
Speaker 5: You and balance you out, and now all you have to do is play football.
Speaker 4: You don't have to do anything other than just play football, find the ball and go for it. That seems simple enough, right, But also when you have two just solid guys on both sides of that secondary, it's so dangerous. And then you go back and you watch Sefan Gilmour. The way this man plays football is insane. His ability to just pretty much read a route before the receiver reads the route fair off the charts. I mean you can just see him eyeballing and he's shifting before the receiver even knows to shit.
Speaker 6: There were times he were looking and he was looking at the court.
Speaker 3: They'll tell you how.
Speaker 6: Much he cared about the quarterback throwing the ball. There were some times he was looking at the quarterback and he's just like, Okay, well I know what you're doing, my guy.
Speaker 3: You know so, but I don't. I think dan Quinn said it.
Speaker 6: I don't know who said it, but they were talking about how the pass rush is married to the secondary, the corners are married to the edges, and that's also too gonna help him run defense with those I think durn Blane you mentioned how much he moved around.
Speaker 3: I think you mentioned that.
Speaker 6: Yesterday he came up and tackled so well. Also too, that they made they made the Giants have to take short short yardist situation. They took away those DB's, took away any type of depassing that they had in mind.
Speaker 3: It was an impressive It was impressive.
Speaker 7: And then the most exciting thing about the secondary, Donovan Wilson and Jordan weren't available and they're going to be back soon, so don't know that it'll be this weekend, but that really good secondary was without two key guys.
Speaker 4: Good point, Christy, Well, that gives you a little glimpse of what we have to talk about. It's going to be such a fun time. We're going to start our h our key matchups. We're going to take a deeper dive into your Dallas Cowboys New York Jets week to match up. Until then, please go be awesome, enjoy the.
Speaker 5: Rest of your day.
Speaker 4: Tell everybody to join into this podcast tomorrow. We have a lot of good stuff to talk about for Jess, Aisha and Christy.
Speaker 5: You are so awesome for watching this. Thank you very much. Uh go be amazing.
Speaker 4: This has been Girls Talk, Boys Talk, presented by Jig South, the preferred dating partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: We'll see you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.