Speaker 1: I miss a green, for example, I'm already upset.
Speaker 2: When I find my ball in the bunker, I'm really upset.
Speaker 1: And when I find my ball.
Speaker 3: In a bride egg Frida egg, the dreaded Frida egg Frida egg, Frida egg egg Frida egg, bride egg.
Speaker 4: Lie, I'm about ready to run off the golf course. Welcome back to the Friday E Golf Podcast Today. I am excited to be joined by Joseph Lamanya and Kevin van Valkenberg to just.
Speaker 2: Do our monthly check in.
Speaker 4: We've got the US Open Hurdling Down Memorial coming up as well as the US Women's Open at Riviera, so that should be actually a super fun event for the Women's Open.
Speaker 2: I think one of the.
Speaker 4: Neat things about that is that golf fans general familiarity with Riviera from their hosting of every year's LA Open, but seeing a completely different style of golf being played on a very familiar course. I'm really looking forward to locking in on that this week for the US Women's Open. Lots of coverage of that on Golf Channel. So I am joined by Joseph and Kevin. We're going to kind of break down three storylines that we have enjoyed and hope keep going. One thing that we're going we would love to change if we were the golf Szar. This goes back to I think that Kevin and I did probably about five years ago, six years ago, a golf Zar episode where it was a super popular episode where are the golfs are?
Speaker 2: What are we doing?
Speaker 4: As well as one thing to watch for the US Women's Open, One thing each us are going to watch for the US Women's Open Before we get to them, Let's talk about our friends over at Garman. Garman has spent decades committed to improving the performance of golfers at every level. They make a full spectrum of golf technology watches, which include a junior watch, rangefinders, launch monitors, handhelds, and club tracking systems. For however you play, they have the perfect device for you. The Garmin Golf app ties every device together in one place, giving player stats, handicapped tracking, shot history and progress over time. Garman has a device for every budget, from the two hundred and ninety nine dollars approach S forty four all the way up to the feature packed approach S seventy. For the serious competitor, they have a Father's Day sale, so go check that out at Garman dot com. Right now, All right, let's get to Joseph and Kevin uh boys, Welcome on.
Speaker 2: How are you guys.
Speaker 1: Doing, Eddy, I'm doing great. It's you know, it's June.
Speaker 5: It's in that sweet spot in Baltimore where the humidity hasn't arrived to sort of just absolutely murder you.
Speaker 1: And it's it's lovely. The pollen is fine.
Speaker 5: I played golf yesterday, played really bad, but the lovely walk around Falls Road down there in Montgomery County with some friends.
Speaker 6: That's great.
Speaker 3: That's great, doing great, Andy. This is one of my favorite times of the year. You know, we've got NBA Finals and playoffs kind of wrapping up. I think the golf calendar. I love the little Colonial into Memorial stretch and then the US Open also right. I don't want to be disrespectful to the Canadian Open that's in there too, but this is a nice little run of golf, and as you mentioned, the women playing at Riviera this week, so I think the golf tank is full as we record this podcast.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's anyone, including Jack Nicholas, that loves the Memorial more than you.
Speaker 2: So I am.
Speaker 4: You know, I've got I've been on a little golf hiatus. I have some golf coming back into my life soon.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I'm going to Abandon Dunes.
Speaker 4: I've decided I'm going to play Hickory the whole time there. So I've decided that I am I'm kind of done with modern technology for a while, Uh, which I tend to do. So I'm gonna play real golf with with the Hickory's.
Speaker 1: Will you play it? Like all the way back? What was? How do you choose what tea is there?
Speaker 4: Part of the reason I've wanted to do the Hickory is so we're doing a Friday golf trip so that I just can play with everybody there at the same roughly the same tea box and and not be just hitting wedges into every green.
Speaker 2: So I'm excited.
Speaker 4: I you know, I played, Uh, I played a couple of months ago when we were in Scotland with Hickory's on the old course, and it's just so much more fun. I mean, the hazards have so much more impact. You're actually thinking about like, Okay, I'm need to get this over here because I won't have a wedge with the supreme stopping power in my hands to just make the hazard irrelevant. So I'm excited about that. I'm uh I and that'll carry us right into the US Open.
Speaker 5: So i'd have I might have seen you hit one of the greatest shots that I've ever seen hit with a hickory club, which was and into that eatinghole. Was like, and you hit a click, like just just a beautiful baby draw two about four feet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I forgot about that shot.
Speaker 1: I might have.
Speaker 5: I might have texted a professional golfer that we both know, and it was like, Andie will not brag about this, so I want you to give him some ship next time you see HI about how freaking good this was.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was one of the better shots in my life. Honestly it was. Yeah, it was like the four iron I think was. Yeah, I'm glad I remembered it since you apparently forgot it. So I don't remember really any shots. It's you know, I mostly I'm you know, probably what you could say is my issue on the golf courses. I remember all the bad ones. I don't remember any of the good ones. I remember heading good drive into the Admiral Bunker on the reverse course and then having to like shovel a ball out because I was so far up on the web.
Speaker 2: That's really the only shot I remember from that, Right.
Speaker 6: You're kind of like Paul Aisinger.
Speaker 3: How Paul Asinger would always talk about pressure, and sometimes you'd make the point I think appropriately on the pod like that seems to be a little bit of a window into the way Paul Aisinger thinks that, you know, maybe he was always dealing with pressure, and you always talk a scar tissue and the spots that guys don't want to go on golf courses. It sounds like that might just be a reflection of the way you experienced the game.
Speaker 4: Uh yeah, yeah, I would say that negative self talk is an issue on the golf course as well as life for me. So I always am amazed at I've always I've told this story before. I was at the John Deere one year and d eight Points came off the golf course after shooting seventy six, and we had a mutual friend and I was with that that person and Da Points comes up, I mean, everybody shooting sixty seven, you know, and Da comes up and he's you know, obviously with someone he's really comfortable with and he's like, can you believe all the bad breaks I got? I mean a sprinkler out here, this there, And I just like watched in Marvel as this guy explained away like how he shot seventy six, And I thought to myself, if I would have walked off that golf course and been like just like so disappointed with myself. But he had literally like a misgiving for every shot and he, you know, he in his mind, should have shot sixty eight. And I was like, that's the difference between you know, many there are many things that are different, but that's one of the biggest differences, is like I just can't get rid of It's it's interesting you tell you like the sports psychologist KVB. You just did a Q and A with Julie Alion, a famous sports psychologist. But you know they talk about staying in the present, and honestly, like I've said this to some people recently, I am a better golfer today than I was, but I'm worse at everything, every skill of golf. I'm a worst potter of worst short game. I might be a better short game player, I have a worst iron player or worst driver of the golf ball. But literally the only thing I'm better at, and I think it's because of kids, is like just like not getting bent out of shape about a mistake. And it's because like you literally just you know, with a young child, just sit and you know, have to clean up shit all the time. Like things never go the way you wanted to go.
Speaker 3: I didn't think Da Points mentioned ten minutes into this episode of the Frida Egg Pod, We're already off to a hot start.
Speaker 2: The Da Points thing like it's burned. I'll never forget it.
Speaker 4: It's like, I mean he got lapped by the field and it came off the golf course and it was like he acted like he played the round of the day, but he just got bad breaks all day.
Speaker 2: And it's like this is just this guy.
Speaker 4: Lives in a completely different universe than me on the golf course. And that's probably why I'm not very good.
Speaker 5: Listen, I would love to I've gotten a little better, I would say negative self talking the last year or so, I finally just realized, like, yeah, you're just bad at golf, like but that's okay, Like enjoy it and like you don't have to throw a tantrum about you know, not being whatever.
Speaker 1: So I'm handing up wet up yesterday and I was.
Speaker 5: Like, that's good, Like I kind of you know, I'm i gonna get a for more strokes when I go play a member guest somewhere. It's you know what, I'd say this to people that struggle. Everybody sucks, you know it, And I think it's part.
Speaker 4: Of like what we did one of the things that's nice if you can, you know, keep the perspective as a as a journalist when you interact with these PGA tour players, Like some of them will come off the course and be like, I just suck right now. I'm not good, and you're like in your head, you're like, well, you're like the fifteenth best player in the world and you're saying this and it's like twenty five handicaps. They'll be like, I'm not very good, and it's like, well, news flash, like nobody thinks they're actually good.
Speaker 1: That's a good chipping there you go.
Speaker 5: It's good segue in a couple of my guys that we're going to discuss today about.
Speaker 2: Let's start with the limits open.
Speaker 4: Let's give it a shine riviera, let's do let's each knock out one thing.
Speaker 2: We're looking forward to in particular at Riviera.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Kevin, I'm just.
Speaker 5: Really looking forward to to seeing Nelly Corda like on another classic American golf course, like the best driver of the golf ball in the game sort of maybe figured out US opened a little bit at Aaron Hill's last year was has been particularly bad in US opens for as talented as she is, And to me, that's just like the lead story. If Nelly could come in and win this major, I think it would mean such a huge thing for like her personal legacy and career already and you know whatever, I'm getting a little bit bored of like the grow the game, boost the game.
Speaker 1: What does Nelly need to do.
Speaker 5: For this and that I think that's all kind of sort of a little bit of nonsense in some ways, but just for her own like, hey, I'm I'm the real deal, Like I'm one of the great players of this era or maybe any era.
Speaker 1: I think that would be be huge.
Speaker 4: Just for casual women's golf fans or people that haven't tuned in to women's golf. This year, Nelly Korda is having a absolutely sensational year. Her finishes in twenty twenty six and her star Star first, second, second, second, first, first.
Speaker 1: And T eight.
Speaker 4: So T eight is her worst start of the year. Pretty incredible, obviously. I yeah, Joseph, I'd.
Speaker 2: Love to hear yours and then I can go into mind.
Speaker 3: I'm kind of switching mind in real time here because I think Nelly Korda is the most interesting story. And part of what I'm excited to watch about her play is that Riviera is a weird golf course. I love Riviera, but it for a lot of the best players in the world, they have trouble with it, and I think it's hard to capture exactly why, Like I have some theories, but I think it's just a funky golf course that even some of the best players in the world, they get there, everything looks fine, but then they just struggle. And you see it was Scottie Shaffler. Tigers struggles there are well documented, I think maybe overstated at times because he didn't always play there that often. But I'm just excited to see if the best player in the world, Nelly Korda, can get it done, or does she similarly kind of get spooked by a golf course that just challenges people in different ways than they're used to, like part of what I think happens at Riviera, and I need to I would need to look into this a little bit more, but I feel like, yes, the greens are bunky and a little bit different than people are accustomed to putting on, and they can get a little rough.
Speaker 6: By the end of the day, they break a lot. But I also think there's a lot of.
Speaker 3: Shots for being pin high isn't good enough, and that if you're just a little off you're so used to on the PGA Tour and presumably on the LPGA Tour too, that shot being okay, and it's not at Riviera. I mean, ten's obviously an example example that quirkiness kind of turned up all the way to the max. But there's a number of other holes where you can hit something pin high in eighteen feet left of the flag, towards the fat side of the green and it's not in a good spot. And I just don't think that's something that a lot of professional golfers are used to. So I'm interested to watch Nellie navigate that puzzle.
Speaker 4: You know, what I think it is is that older golf courses have a lot more slope in the greens, and what you end up oftentimes when you're pin high.
Speaker 2: Is that you end up with that twenty foot putt and it's just.
Speaker 4: That one that you're afraid of ripping away from you as it gets past the hole where it's like you have to play so much break that the putt then turns into this downhill ripping away putt when it's going to the hole. So then it what you end up doing is you end up being afraid of like, Okay, this is gonna roll five feet by, but it's like five feet straight up the hill, but you're still anxious about It's the only time when there's a lot of slope in the greens, it's the time, especially with pros, where you get psychologically. What I think what pro golfers are so great at when I watch them putt is the pace and the authority that they hit it with is so clearly I'm not even thinking about the next putt. But when there's slope on the greens and they start to see, okay, this can run away from me six seven feet, that's the time it psychologically gets in their head that creates doubt and then it leads to I didn't hit it hard enough, and now I have the three and a half footer that I have a cup of break on. So it's like that combination of like, Okay, this result's bad, but actually the not committing to it result could be worse. And now, like every statistician is gonna be like, oh, you make X number of putts more from three feet than from five and a half feet. But I think if you talk to like almost every pro, if you gave them just a dead street five and a half footer up the hill versus a heavily breaking three and a half footer, they're taking the five footer up the hill. I mean that's like sitting on a practice mat or your perfect practice mat in your house just knocking down putt after putt, you know, versus a putt where you're like, okay, I have to marry break and speed. So I think that's the thing. It's like most I would say golf courses that the LPGA and the PGA Tour plays play on is in the kind of in the era of green speed, you know, outside the classics. It's like this era of like green speeds are this so we can't have this much break but all the classic golf courses have that much break that they don't allow architects to build with. You know, modern society has caused this, but that's the difference I think.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Nelly's very much going back to her just for at quick sec like a vibes putter in a lot of ways too. If she misses a couple early, that's starts to kort of frustrate her and get in her head. But if she just you know, makes a few shorties like early, it starts to kind of build confidence and she is much less like sort of tentative around stuff. So we'll be watching, you know, Thursday, just to see, like, can she just get off to a good start and shoot, you know, seventy sixty nine somewhere in there and kind of make the beginning part of the tournament and be like, all right, I'm already ahead.
Speaker 1: Of like where things are. I don't have to kind of make some furious rally to make the cut.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean getting off, getting off on your front foot. As Paul McGinley would say, it's just such an important thing, you see it with every major.
Speaker 1: Showing tremendous metal out there. Nuddie carter I.
Speaker 2: The thing I'm most excited about is.
Speaker 4: I think we is we always talk about Riviera with the men and like what an architectural wonder, what a strategic golf course, and you know when it's when it's playing firm for the men, it has a lot of implications of like if you're out of position, it's hard to hit it close, it's hard to score. I think like we're actually gonna see how the strategy was played, it was designed to play this week. In some regards, I think the Kakuia approaches are going to be a huge problem. I'm just gonna put that out there now. They're they're gonna there's gonna be complaints. The greens are firm, the approaches don't release or don't like allow the ball to bounce in, So that's gonna be an issue. But that being said, like we're gonna actually get to see decision making and strategy on the tenth hole. It's not just a uniform strategy of like blasted left the green and figure it out. Some of the longer hitters, uh and the women's game will be able to do that, but most players are gonna have to hit the approach shot and thread it between the bunkers, avoid the right side, and it's gonna be really fun to watch a lot of the holes play out. Mech Alway and Meg Atkins from our team did a wonderful video which I would implore everybody to go watch on our YouTube page that broke down a few of the holes at Riviera. And and what's the neat about it is it's like kind of actually more how the normal golfer plays rivi Era.
Speaker 2: It's not just bashlor driver up there.
Speaker 4: Like particularly the eighth hole, the split fairway hole, we're gonna see people go right and left. You know, modern men's game is all left right and and it's a really it'll be a neat dynamic in the sense of like we're going to see these holes played wildly different than we're used to.
Speaker 2: So I'm I'm really excited about that.
Speaker 4: Like the fifth hole, to me, would be one that I would park myself on just because you know, you're gonna have like a that missing right off the tee, not missing, but hitting it up the right side and having to play over the mound with a longer club is going to have a lot more more implication than in the men's game where it's a wedge, it should be super fun to watch. I think, like I think, given everybody's familiarity, Like you know, Riviera is a great venue for the for for this kind of tournament. Another it made me think, like another venue i'd love to see the women play a huge event at is TPC saw Grass. That would be so fun because like what you're tapping into is familiarity, Like everybody always goes, Oh, Women's Major should be at Augusta National. Why don't we have a women's Major at TPC Sawgrass.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a great idea, like a Solheim Cup.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Well the PG Tour probably would charge too much rent for their strategic partner.
Speaker 6: That would be incredible.
Speaker 5: If you're listening, Brian roll Up, this would be huge, be huge for ratings, huge for the for the overall game. You could get it sponsored by some AI bullshit like be awesome.
Speaker 2: Uh, let's get to storylines.
Speaker 4: So these are like, yeah, the premise of this is these are three kind of like drawn out stories or stories that are happening in golf that we'd love to see continue on the path for a given period of time, and and and we could kind of dive into each one that we picked out and and why we want to see it continue.
Speaker 2: Who wants to go first here?
Speaker 6: Kevin?
Speaker 1: Go ahead? Oh all right.
Speaker 5: Look I The Tommy Fleetwood thing has has been such a kind of running storyline throughout the last like four or five years of like, oh, Tommy's such a big loved player. Tommy's like finally going to make the leap. Tommy's like the nicest guy in golf, the best guy without a major. We're coming back to Birkedale now, coming up. Tommy grew up in the area. You know, we used to play sneak Over and play Birkedale a little bit from Southport. If you look at the results this year, Tommy's kind of regressed just a hair. He's about half a stroke worse than he was last year when it seemed like he was kind of making the leap. I really wonder if the clock is sort of ticking on that moment where we ask ourselves like what can Tommy be? And we asked shifted to what could of Tommy have been? Like is Tommy sort of the you know, he's not as good as Monty, but like the manty like guy who just never quite won a major, the guy who never really made the leap, And I think it's going to be like the results in the Majors earlier this year, not great miss cut, the PGA was not a factor in the Masters. What is Tommy Fleetwood at this point in twenty twenty six. I think it's a really interesting question, And there's going to be obviously like a lot of you know, hometown model buzz, like when he returns to Birkdale and if it doesn't happen there, like, is that the point where the inflection point goes the other direction? Like man, Tommy, he could sure hit the ball, but he never quite did it.
Speaker 3: I think again, Tommy's season has not been a disaster. He had some decent finishes, some top tens. I still think Fleetwood has probably been one of the biggest disappointments of twenty twenty six. And if you were to I don't know, I don't know him off the top of my head. If you're to rank the top five disappointers this year, I think Tommy Fleetwood deserves a.
Speaker 6: Spot in that top five.
Speaker 3: He was playing really, really good golf at the end of last year. You can make a case whatever second best player in the world, third best player in the world. But the putting, it just hasn't been as good this year. He was a great, great putter last year. And if you're going to give up some distance to the field and struggle with the putter a little bit, then he can compete like I think Shinnecock, Kevin, you're talking about Birkdale, but you know Shinnecock is another golf course that Tommy played really well last time. He does have two pretty good cracks coming up over the summer. I think you're right that if he doesn't get it, if he does not even in the mix in either of those two, then I don't think you can take Tommy seriously as one of the top players in the world looking ahead to the next couple of years. Great player, sure, staple of a Ryder Cup team, sure, but as somebody that you think about as one of the five to seven real real threats at a major championship. I do think that's sort of being taken to task over the summer.
Speaker 4: The last time he finished in the top ten at a major was the twenty twenty four Masters, so he's been relatively not a factor at the last nine major championships. Now, I think, Joseph, you make some good points, but I would like for normal people, and this is kind of like non Rory rom Scheffler with Stan. I think for normal PGA Tour players, your game comes and goes in waves, and you have hot streaks and cold streaks, and you know there are just like everything just doesn't click together all the time, and you're for you know, for most people, these shortcomings, they're shortcomings. And what you illuminated Joseph giving up distance off the tee and if you have a cold putter, you're just not going to play that high level golf, right, So you're just more susceptible when you have you know, like I think outside, you know, you go down the list of players and outside of probably three players, four players in the game, everybody has weaknesses and when in the what makes those players so great is that they can two aspects of their game can be below average, below their normal standard, and still they can still play well, you know, because they have some overwhelming skills that are just you know, transcendent. And with Tommy, you know, the iron play is the only thing I would say that is like a overwhelming skill driving accuracy, but that driving accuracy matched with below average distance, it makes him a good driver of the golf ball, not a great driver of the golf ball. Whereas you look at somebody like, you know, Scottie matches more distance with similar accuracy. He has a transcendent iron player, transcendent around the greens, and it's like, oh, he putted bad, but he's still finished second. It's like, well that, yeah, that makes sense. He had an off week putting and iron play and he's still finished sixth, like because his other skills are so overwhelming, you know, And I think that's like the thing. It's it's funny with like the Russ Henley when this week, Joseph, you're a big Russ fan. I actually like the more I dove in. I'm kind of bullish on Russ in majors. Like you said, I I was just giving you a lot of grief in a group text.
Speaker 2: But one of the things with Russ is like everything has to click.
Speaker 4: Like his overwhelming his attributes that are like really plus are obviously accuracy, iron play, and then like the putter can get really hot. But it's just everything has to work, and so rarely in golf, everything is clicking, and that's like the the I think, like we have these like peaks and valleys with so many players and that's just golf in a nutshell.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: And we've said this before, but it mirrors life right where like you're very rarely it's you know, the exceptional talent of the game. I think make make look at contending so much easier than it actually is.
Speaker 3: But I think, isn't that the point that Tommy. I think we maybe this is where Kevin's coming from. I don't want to put ones in his mouth, but we might have thought Tommy could have a year to eighteenth month stretch where you're saying, take out the greats of the game Scotti, Ram and Rory, and I think, at least for me, it's like, well, I thought Tommy could have a short stretch where he is one of the greats and he is winning. He's not as good as Scotty and Rory and Ram, but I thought maybe we could see a two year stretch where Tommy plays like a top five player in the world. I hear your point, and I agree with it, but I think I'm still disappointed that on the heels of a really hot season, where he was in form.
Speaker 6: We haven't seen much of that carry into this year. He hasn't been terrible, but go ahead, Kevin.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I just think it's like a little bit of expectations. Right once you play great, those expectations come. I mean, I was just looking up as we're chatting, like a story that I wrote from Chinnakok the last time the US Open was there and he finished, you know, shot sixty three and he had three hours essentially to sit around and see like whether that mattered, and the whole story is framed is like is this Tommy's like coming out party? Like has he finally arrived as being the next you know, like great European player, And all those questions still sort of exist like eight years later, which just kind of makes you laugh and think about like the narrative has been here all this time.
Speaker 1: I'm like, man, this dude hits the ball so good.
Speaker 5: It seems like we're always just on the cusp of like getting over and having that you know, transcendent, you know, career defining victory. And I don't know, I just I feel I think we all like Tommy as a player, Like everybody loves him as a person. He's such a warm kind of like fun most Like we talked about Aaron Raye being one of the most liked guys in the game. Tommy Fleetwood's like probably right there. I don't know, I mean it just are we ever going to experience majors again where the old guy kind of breaks through after never having done it before, The Marko era, the Darren Clark, like that era might be kind of gone from golf in some ways because it's been a long time since one of those guys broke through.
Speaker 3: What JJ spon, I mean, Russell, you're Fleewood's thirty five spawn was thirty four last year when he won.
Speaker 5: I think that's a little different in that, Like Markomra was one of the best players in the game, like in his prime, so was Darren Clark.
Speaker 1: Certainly we all expected Monty to do it.
Speaker 5: Jj'spond was like a guy who's that's more in the line of like the Ben Curtis, the White Yang, like, oh, like this guy won wow. Like I just don't know, Like there comes a point when you're in your forties where it's like, yeah, that guy's not going to win a major.
Speaker 4: I think I wonder that's one of my favorite stories is the guy that like, you know, has these expectations early and it's like, oh, you know, so and so is going to win, it's not when it's how many and then they they're close for so many years and then you get to the the arc in the story where it's like, I don't think it's ever going to happen, and I think you've I think this is what resonated with the Rory Masters, when so much is that we had this exact arc and so like to your point of like are we ever going to get one? I think we just got one with Rory because it got to the point where like is he ever going to do this again? Was very similar to how you felt about Sergio how you felt about Adam Scott, like I don't know if he's ever going to put this together, like given how many, how many heartbreaks they've been But yeah, Tommy, I don't think Tommy gets there for me. I think Tommy's always been a nice player, and I just think that his his if last year was his magnum opus of where there was a real point in the fall where we're like, is he the best player in the world even with Scotty what he's doing. I just I don't think we're personally. I've never thought of Tommy Fleetwood in the bucket of like this guy is has a chance to be like a generational player. I think he's always been in the he's a really good player bucket, but never one that's gonna be like lasting legacy player in the game of golf. And so maybe I don't know, that's maybe we just have different expectations of Tommy because like, you know, you look at Tommy's career, it's like it hasn't been this just like rose pedal, like sidewalk filled career, where like there have been ups, ups and downs. He had like a lot of struggles early in his in his European tour career. And to me, I, I, yeah, I don't know, I don't know the what what the you know? I you know, major I.
Speaker 2: Think would be like the cherry on top of a really good career.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm already looking forward to Tommy Fluwood Ryder Cup captain.
Speaker 1: I thought that, uh is fun.
Speaker 5: And there's been so many European guys who I'm looking forward to their Ryder Cup tenure, which is why I don't love that Luke Donald got three bites of the Apple because I want more guys to sort of get there or swing at it just for the narrative's sake of it.
Speaker 2: I wish we would have gotten Westi's because I'm sure he would have read like he read, would have read his first book of his life, The Art of War.
Speaker 1: Did you see zing? Does it? Westy? A little bit?
Speaker 5: He was talking about golf digests the other day about Oh, golf digist is reporting out stories about where a pee on the golf course used to publish the great so like Jenkins and Tom Callahan. And I was like, Wesley, I'd love to sit and talk with you about you know, what are your favorite of your favorite Jenkins pieces are.
Speaker 1: He did not respond to that esfirsionally.
Speaker 4: Oh, Joseph, what's your first one? We're off the blistering pace here too.
Speaker 3: Kevin almost made me change mine in real time. And maybe I'll come back to that one, uh, because I think there's another player that's similar to Tommy, But I'm going to go with We've talked about this top before on this pod. I think the most interesting story in golf right now is that Scotty Scheffler is the clear cut world number one, and we are five full months into the season. He has one win and it's the American Express, and I I just am fascinated by Scotty. The discourse I'm not gonna victory Lap, the take familiar in the year that he hasn't been as good as last year, because that is not settled, Like we have a long time to see how good Scotty is throughout twenty twenty six. I think a win memorial this week. I think he could very well win at Shinnacock and or Brickdale. But I mean, his year isn't that different than last year at this time. He had seven top fives last year through twelve starts through June first, but he had three wins, including a major championship. This year it's seven top fives through eleven starts, so similar, but one win and it's an American Express. And we're talking about the golfer that everyone would agree as the best player in the world. He's thirty years old, he's squarely square in his prime and we're halfway through the season, halfway through major championship season. It doesn't get easier to win majors like that the standard gets raised every year. We have some really good young talent that's over the next two to four years going to make its way on to tour. I think the most important story in golf is do Scotti Schefler win a major over the next two tries?
Speaker 5: You know, Joseph, I think a lot about something that you said at some point on this podcast of like, hey, did have we seen the best that Scotti Scheffler will ever be? And that doesn't mean like going forward, will he be bad. It's so easy to sort of, I think, dishonestly frame that when people are talking about it. But I kind of think that makes a really interesting point. People used to talk about this with Tiger Woods all the time, when like, oh man, he'll never get better than he was in two thousand and that was true, but didn't mean the Tiger was going to be less than. It just meant that, like when you're a great athlete, sometimes you have that peak year when everything's great. That was last year for Scotty, like got you majors out of it, incredible, Like it all might be like just slightly less than going forward, and we have so much It's so easy in sports to be like no, no, no, like he's gonna peak again, He's gonna maybe it doesn't come and happen that way, And so I think it is an interesting argument of like, man, it would do a lot for my feeling of like, oh, yeah, Scotty's gonna win double digit majors if he picked off another one this year, and I just don't know, Like it's obviously the don't knowing is part of why we watch sports, but I thought it was smart they sort of frame it that way of like, hey, man, like this is great, but don't think that this kind of run is.
Speaker 2: Forever well, that that's the you're always the prisoner.
Speaker 4: Like if you think about, you know, the NBA right now, discourse last year was like, oh my god, the Thunder are going to be this dominant team for the next ten years, Like look at what they have. There's nobody that's gonna be able to stand in the way of this team. And then sure enough one year later it's like, oh, like the Spurs or the team, you know, and what are the Thunder going to do? I think golf has this happened so often we're almost like immune to it because you know, it's just like what we just talked about with Tommy Fleetwood, right like at the end of last year is like, oh, Tommy is in this top tier class of players, and now it's like, I don't know about that, right, And you just think, you naturally think everything's going to continue the way it is continuing. Scotty was one of my storylines. And what I think is, you know, like, I think struggles are make for more compelling characters, and I actually, like this is going to sound insane, but I think Scotty not winning a major this year is actually like one of the better things for the sport that can happen, because it actually takes this transcendent superstar talent that like everybody looks at and is like not everybody, but the vast majority are like, God, this guy.
Speaker 2: Gives me nothing. He makes me feel nothing.
Speaker 4: I cannot tell you how many conversations I have with people just over the last couple of years that are like, is there anything that asked me like, is there any reason that.
Speaker 2: I should like Scotti Scheffler and that I should like root for him?
Speaker 4: And to me, one of the better things for his likability long term if you're gonna say he's going to be a superstar and at the top of the sport for the next five to eight years. One of the best things for his broader appeal, you know, the most, The thing that's broadened his appeal the most is he got arrested at the PGA. That was the best thing he could have ever happened for his popularity. Like the next thing is like him going through some sort of struggles on course that make people feel more to him.
Speaker 2: Something that is interesting.
Speaker 4: Since he's become this dominant player, he had another bad stretch of golf by his standards, and I'm just saying by his standards where Winsden didn't come just flow in and it was his hand injury after the twenty twenty five start. Interestingly enough, that was like basically if you yeah, he won obviously the Tour Championship and then his next win was the CJ Cup, But like if you look at it based off the hand injury, it was like a four month drought right now from the Amax till today June first, when we're recording this, that drought is roughly the same amount of time. It's about four months. And this is like competitive peak competitive golf, no injuries no step backs that we know of, and he is just struggling like we haven't seen since he's been on this dominant run. And by struggling, it's like he's just not getting it over the line. But this is like what happens with golf is like you know, the ball bounces the wrong way, you get a bad lie, and you know the bad lie costs you a shot. And you know, maybe when you're winning and everything's turning up Scotty, you're getting good lies that you're able to make things happen from. But you know, like this is how you start to develop some sort of scar tissue. I don't think it's like, you know, when I think about Tiger, I don't think it's a coincidence that like WAYI Yang staring him down and beating them in their arita like precipitated his like whole life unraveling. And for for high, high level golfers, I think when you fall short numerous times, that is when the doubt starts to creep in. And I don't think Scotty has had doubt in his career, and I don't like I think like a drought is actually honestly a good thing for the sport in his long term, like fan interest.
Speaker 3: I just have to push back on one thing, Andy, you said the best thing that Scotty could do for his popularity is to go through a drought.
Speaker 6: I think him getting arrested again.
Speaker 2: Clearly clearly Gills comes back.
Speaker 5: Way that or like arrested for like real crimes or like what kind of crimes are we talking about here?
Speaker 1: Financial crimes? Like petty crimes?
Speaker 3: What's u I think like armed robbery would be okay, would take him to a different level.
Speaker 2: Come on, I ask a question.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna play the role of Andy here. Can I ask the question?
Speaker 5: All these clips all the time of Scotty like swinging wildly out of his shoes and the ball is going over the club's flying this in that way, It's always presented and framed. It's like, isn't this cute? Like isn't oh my god, this is the number one player in the world, Like isn't this wild?
Speaker 1: Ha ha haha?
Speaker 5: Is there ever any like I think, like push from Randy Smith to be like, hey, what if we swung a little bit more in balance? What if we like didn't try to have to save it with like the best set of hands, you know of this era maybe any era.
Speaker 1: I can't. You can't tell me that.
Speaker 5: Like Scotty like falling over sometimes when he swings at the ball is like a good thing because you know that he doesn't have to swing like Adam.
Speaker 1: Scott and obviously like the results are what the results are.
Speaker 5: But is there ever any like thought of like, hey, Scotty, like we could still you know, you don't have to essentially like swing like a complete, you know, twenty five handicapper sometimes and just save it with your hands. What if we developed a little bit more consistency in this holy cow, maybe you'd go back to being like a three strokes gained around person if you were.
Speaker 1: Just like a little bit more in control. I disagree.
Speaker 2: I think the question I think the golf swing.
Speaker 4: What what I think bothers me is that And this goes back to like Jim Furick, like the swing your swing, and it's like, well, if you look at like the most important points in the golf swing and where the club head, the body like everything is, it's like, oh, this is perfect, this is what But people then just use the feet for social engagement. It is just it is just a pure social engagement play and like the actual like, uh, the actual intelligent discourse would be around like how what he does with the feet give him supreme face control through the impact zone because like the way he uses his feet actually are like he's creating like the most like a very stable situation at at impact, and then the feet go everywhere after impact.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 5: I think a driver it's a little different, Like he makes some wild swings with driver that some ball's going way right. That remind me of like when Tiger was hitting the ball like a mile right sometimes and had to save himself, I mean to me, and honestly sometimes makes him more interesting and more compelling because then he has to manufacture saving things. Honestly, when Scotty's his most boring, it's when he's playing like just the best golf of like hey, driving it down like yeah, hitting hitting these gentle cuts, hitting it to twenty feet, making three out of every ten of those, you know, and then all of a sudden it's like, well I'm twenty under, you know.
Speaker 2: It's you know, what might help Scotty break the windless drout?
Speaker 1: Tell me more?
Speaker 2: I think he might need to examine.
Speaker 4: He's got two kids now, might need to examine how him and Meredith are sleeping, and I'll tell you what could really help his sleep is the eight Sleeps product.
Speaker 2: The Pod five eight sleep is a partner of ours.
Speaker 4: And the difference they say between dragging through your second round and actually playing well comes down to how you recovered overnight. I would agree with this. Good night's sleep does wonders for you. I think this thing is really neat. You know, if you share a bed, you know you constantly are are are struggling with temperature. You know, anybody that's been gotten into a relationship, you generally fight over the thermostat, like early in your relationship some people, you know, for me, I always like to cooler.
Speaker 2: My wife always liked the warmer. With the Pod five, it's kind of amazing.
Speaker 4: They have these dual temperature zones based off like half of the bed, and it it automatically controls your sleep temperature. So it cools your bed down to fifty five degrees all night, which is the ideal temperature to increase your rem sleep by over half, so you'll fall asleep faster, nearly twice as fast, and then you'll sleep deeper and get more out of it. So check out the Pod five. This is a great, great product to sleep better, probably something that you know, any struggling pro golfer should look into. Louijus Sayson famously traveled with his mattress. Maybe some guys will start to travel with their Pod five. And if you go to eightsleep dot com slash fried Egg that's eight sleep spelled out E I G H T sleep dot com slash fried Egg, you'll get three hundred and fifty dollars off the Pod five If you use the promo code fried egg at checkout. You also can get thirty days to try it out at home and return it if you don't love it.
Speaker 2: But we're very confident that you.
Speaker 4: Will try this out, Scottie eightsleep dot com slash fried Egg. Use the promo code fried egg at checkout for three hundred and fifty dollars off the Pod five real quick. Our next major is upon us coming up. That means we're gonna have a merch drop.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 4: This is a New York themed merch drop for Shinnecock Hills. Uh, it'll it'll be You know that the logo matches Pj's favorite baseball team.
Speaker 2: We wanted to throw him a bone there.
Speaker 4: On top of that, we have like our routing map shirts, lots of cool stuff. Go visit proshop dot the Friday dot com to check that out. Before we get back to Joseph and Kevin, here's a couple more uh stops from our sponsors. All right, let's get back to it.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: We got to pick up the pace here. We're slacking.
Speaker 4: I have I fear that the Golf Star is not gonna happen today. We'll maybe make the golf Star a new, a new another episode. We've got two more things here.
Speaker 1: We well, let's move us along. Be the traffic cop.
Speaker 3: Let's go everyone five topics off the top and started talking about da points.
Speaker 6: I was already worried.
Speaker 2: All right, well, who's what's up next?
Speaker 1: I'll go next, you please go?
Speaker 4: All right, We've got one of my favorite stories is the uh the Fitzpatrick brothers ascension in twenty twenty six. I think brothers are compelling. Obviously we have the hoy Guards the Fitzpatricks, though, like doing both taking their game to like a whole new stratosphere at the exact same time to me is super super interesting. You know you had FITZI basically both of them. A year ago we were wandering a bit in the wilderness. Alex was a middling European tour player at this point and Fitzi was playing arguably the worst golf of his professtional career. And in the matter of a year, it looks like there's like that. You know, Fitzi is one of the without a doubt, you know, seven best players in the sport, and now it looks like Alex could be like a high end PGA tour player. I think, what's what's fascinating to me. I think brothers are good for the sport. It's good talking points. Obviously Alex, like you're gonna see all the pictures all the time of him carrying the bag for for Matt at at the UH, at the at the US A M that Matt won at the brook at Brookline. But you know, Alex brings like a whole different dynamic, uh different game. He's longer than than Matt, He's he's been like a really good iron player, and like, you know, I don't think it's inconceivable that you can see these guys duke it out in like tour events against each other, Like it's not inconceivable that these guys would be in final group and a tournament and you know, obviously you have the hoyguards, but they have not yet like, you know, kind of taken off. I think the way that people expected I did not have on my bingo card, that the Fitzpatricks would be the brothers of the PGA of of pro golf that everybody would be clamoring for. And it's just been kind of fun to see it happen for both of them at the same time.
Speaker 5: You know, it reminds me any of is like exclibit of high school vibes where there would be like two brothers who are coming up through the you know, your class whatever be like, oh, well, you know, Matt's pretty good, but like Alex, he's the dude who's gonna like dominate, and then they both end up kind of playing a little varsity at the same time.
Speaker 1: Like it's just that is remember reminis of that little vibe that doesn't.
Speaker 5: Exist in professional sports very much, where hey, a family of dudes is going to be uh is going to be contributing to this whole deal.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm I have a very close relationship with my brother and I think a lot of my most fun experiences in life are competing in sports together with my brother, whether it's on the same team, whether it's against each other, like growing up playing basketball against each other or golf. And to see the Fitzpatricks now, the way they talk about each other, there's zero jealousy. They give awesome quotes about one another. It's pure motivation and they take so much joy in each other's successes that that strikes a certain chord for me. And what I think would be incredible is if they could both end up on the Ryder Cup team next year. And it's a little far fetched, but at least at this point for Alex to sustain that and be one of the twelve best Europeans going into next year. However, I think Europeans are sort of on the record believing that you'd be more likely to take a rookie to the Ryder Cup at home versus away, So that's at least something in Alex's favor, and that legitimate chance that they could get paired together at the Ryder Cup. I know we've seen it before, the Mullinari brothers in twenty ten were paired together, but I think the opportunity to watch brothers, one being one of the best players in the world, one being an up and comer paired together at a Ryder Cup, the most pressure packed intense. Again, even the Ryder Cup now compared to twenty ten is so much bigger and so much more pressure packed. I think that would be one of the coolest things we could possibly see in twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 5: Joseph, if you had a choice between Aaron Raye, Alex Fitzpatrick, or Shane Lowry on the European Ryder Cup team, who you picking right now?
Speaker 6: God, that's hard. I would I would go with Alex Fitzpatrick.
Speaker 4: I think you know you don't make that better if it was Matt and Alex playing together and they were playing against somebody playing with Cam Young obviously the Alex cam Young college teammate angle too.
Speaker 6: Look, if Kim Young had a brother that I can guarantee that guy would be on tour.
Speaker 2: All right, what's up next? That's enough for the Fitzpatrick all right, I'll throw.
Speaker 1: One out there.
Speaker 5: I Look, this is maybe a little bit unfair, but I think I've I've mentioned some of this. When is the next great American player going to emerge. I think one thing that has been true throughout history is Americans have continually produced like a generationally great player, like every ten to fifteen years, and so it's maybe a little bit early for that, just like another one to merge. Maybe it's like someone you know, much younger, Miles Russell, Blades Brown, whatever. But so far, I think this season has lent a little bit evidence too, like it might not be one of these guys who we sort of thought were great. Look, there's still plenty of time not burying any of these guys, but like you know, Luke Clinton hadn't been very good, Like he has not quite been the dude who was looked like he was going to finish, you know, when he when he was getting all these sponsors exemptions, when he was in college, he was playing on tour occasionally and being awesome. He has won top twenty five this year in Puerto Rico. Neil Shipley, I don't know if anyone thought he was a phenom, but it was a very very good player made only three of thirteen cuts. Nick Dunlap like obviously kind of lost right now, made only four cuts this year. Pearson Cooty's probably been the most consistent player of all the munch, Like obviously Michael Thorburnson just finished in the top ten this week, but Michael, you know, I would say Michael is probably the best of its Cooty's probably the most consistent. But which one of these, Like almost all these guys are older than Akshay, Like, are any of these guys going to sort of have Akshay's career at this point? Like, Okhay is not a superstar, actually is a good, solid PGA Tour player. Ken Winn hasn't shown he's contending in majors. Who is the next great like American player that's going to emerge? I don't know that it's gonna be one of these guys of this generation because they're all getting to be twenty. Like by that time, Tiger had won a bunch, Speith had won a bunch, like Rory had won a ton obviously not an American, but like it's I don't know, and you go ahead.
Speaker 4: And I just, you know, I want to get this out there before Joseph that what if we're just watching it happen with Cameron Young right now?
Speaker 6: Wow, didn't expect that.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to go there before you do it.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I think this is actually like one of the more you know, nobody's really talking about it, but fascinating, like we have heard for years, and I think like part of it is.
Speaker 2: Actually some of it.
Speaker 4: I I don't think it's insane to think that social media has had an impact on this. Like these kids before they've even turned professional, are are having these expectations of being the next great thing heaped on them, and it, you know, it inevitably sets them up for failure. It makes you appreciate, honestly, it makes you appreciate the people like Rory and Tiger who you know, justin Thomas Speith, who were able to do what they did with all the heaping.
Speaker 2: Praise and everything.
Speaker 4: And you know, I think PGA Tour U has been fantastic at getting people up to the tour and up to the tour.
Speaker 2: Faster than they usually do. I think it's actually been detrimental.
Speaker 4: You brought up akshay Okha at age twenty three, like almost every super duper star turns pro at a young age. You know, Tiger was twenty, uh obviously, Rory was seventeen, Speith.
Speaker 1: Was what nineteen nineteen or twenty eight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, justin Thomas.
Speaker 4: If you even go to there was was twenty the idea of like keeping these kids in school, I think, like the really great ones. I think there is a stunting of development, and I you know, when you start to say, like I this is I used to do this exercise with Joaquin Nieman all the time, too, is like it's like Joaquin Nema turned pro at eighteen, and it's like okay, like he's been around forever, and it's like, oh, he's only twenty two. So it's like, Okay, this person that you think is going to be the next world beater, do you know how much work they have to do when they turn pro at twenty three just to equal what Joaquin Neman's done from eighteen to twenty three, or what Akhay's done from seventeen to twenty three or twenty four whatever he is now there are, you know, and we've had the you know, this is this is the whole kind of like thing with like I think there's been frustration with uh Ludwig. I mean, Ludwig's you know, twenty six years old, and you know, I think we've entered an era where like the stars might emerge a little bit later. But at the same time, to your point, there's always been transcended players. Who knows, maybe it's Jackson Coivin, it's maybe it's present Stout. But the longer they stay in college, I believe for the transcendent players, I think for most players, it's good to stay in college. For the transcendent players, what you're doing is your stunting development. You're staying in a state of of of comfort. You look at like Cooper Flag in the NBA. Cooper Flag reclassified at age seventeen. He got out of Maine because, like he was in Maine, he was the best player as a young high schooler, and they left.
Speaker 2: They left.
Speaker 4: They haven't leave Maine to continue to progress, continue to test yourself. And I do think PGA two ur you is actually having a harmful effect. I mean, the best young players, I think generally are coming from abroad where they have these development programs, and these kids are like thrown out into the ocean much more than college golf and AGGA. And you know, the amateur circuit is kind of I believe, coddling them a bit.
Speaker 6: There's a lot there.
Speaker 3: This is actually one of mine, so we can just count it within the interest of time watching these young golfers try to develop between basically age twenty one and twenty seven. Andy, you talked about it on the Shotgun Start this week. This is also a conversation we've had on the Frida Egg Pod. I do believe that the with technology changing, you often get a shifting landscape of who the best golfers in the world are, and that with driver technology and the prevalence of track man, we saw some really good young golfers emerge in that twenty thirteen to twenty eighteen era. Speak justin Thomas, those guys who had a lot of success young, and I don't think we're going to se as much of that going forward unless there's some kind of technological shift again, because of how hard it is to play good golf consistently, and that the difference between a twenty two year old and a twenty six year old is very significant, not just physically, but all these little skills that they pick up. And I think with guys like Ludbiggs an example, Kevin, you mentioned Michael thorbe Jornson. I think Michael thorpe Jornson is on a wonderful trajectory, and people are way way too quick to nitpick these guys when they haven't even gotten to twenty seven or twenty eight, in part because probably some recent experience with Justin Thomas and with Jordan Speed, those guys getting wins really early. But that said, the true transcendent players, as both of you have mentioned, they announce that they are great, great players pretty quickly. And to most directly answer your question Kevin that you started with, when are we going to see the next great American young player? I do strongly believe that Jackson Coyven is our best chance at seeing that in a very very long time, and he's twenty one. I don't know if I fully agree with you Andy that PJ tour you is holding guys back. I hear what you're saying on the g I just don't know.
Speaker 2: If you're great, do not hold your don't do not stay at the same level.
Speaker 3: Agree, but you need to get you need to have some support under you. And now that Jackson has a full PGA tour status, it's really hard life out on the corn Faery tour. Blaze Brown's doing it, so that's another name that should be mentioned. But yes, going back to it. I think Jackson Coyven, by all accounts, everything I'm seeing from him indicates that that's one of the best players that we've seen in a very, very long time. And I think what I'm most encouraged by is that some of these guys who we really like but then aren't quite materializing. I don't want to be hard on him again, but like Luke Clanton is somebody that we need to give some grace too. But he's a really long driver of the golf ball, and I think you get away with that a little bit more in college than at the professional level. Jackson Coyven's more of like he'll be middle on the on the PGA tour, like one seventy five ball speed guy, one of the best putters a lot of people have ever seen in college, and a great great iron player.
Speaker 6: Kevin.
Speaker 3: I think that's the answer is, Hey, this is going to be the best litmus test. Does Jackson Quaven over the next two years, make a statement in a major championship, finish top five, and then you got like a ten year runway where you're looking at the great next young American player.
Speaker 1: I certainly hope.
Speaker 5: So I just think like if you think back of history, like Rory was great at twenty one. Yes, Tiger was great at twenty one, Ernie Els was great at twenty. Phil Mickelson was great at twenty one, twenty two. It didn't win major for many other years. Jack was like maybe the best player in the world at twenty one, Like there there always is every generation. Scotty Scheffers like the one player who for whom it took twenty five twenty six.
Speaker 1: Maybe Brooks.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so maybe Brooks and Scottie are are the start of a trend of like, hey, you can emerge a little bit later, but usually that's I think that's why we thought Speed at the time was going to be really good, in part because it was like, oh yeah, like if you're doing this at twenty one, it means something big, and you know obviously that hasn't sustained.
Speaker 1: But it just it's just thinking about it and looking at it.
Speaker 5: It's easier to be like I I agree Michael Thorburnson is on a great path and like we are, we should absolutely think that he is still going to be a great player. He's older than ox Shabatia, Like it's at some point you're like, oh, man, like, did you you miss your window for being like a great player because the great ones emerge very early.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I think like it's it's important to like preface here, Like I mean, Michael Thorbjornsen could go have like a great career, but I don't. I think that the idea of him being like a game changer for the sport of golf is his past right for sure. And I think you know this, it's it's it outside of Scottie and Brooks. Really, what are the the guys that are you know, top you know, say the top ten to fifteen players of this generation or not this generation of the you know, modern game. We'll say from the nineties on. Who haven't been you know, great players at a young age, Like someone that would like fill in here that I think like probably could have had that if he hadn't a state in school so long, would have had you know, similar successfully turned pro was Calin mor Kawa.
Speaker 2: You know, look at Calin mor Kawa.
Speaker 4: Probably slaton into like the top twenty players you know of the last thirty years given his resume and and he I think, I mean he his career is going to be like why didn't he win as much as he won early.
Speaker 3: I think to Andy, you're sent you're correctly qualifying. What are we talking about in terms of how great they are? Truly transcendent? I don't think we have anybody who's professional right now.
Speaker 4: But honestly, Blake's is like super I'm actually I don't think that that stories. Honestly, I don't think Blakes Brown's getting enough play fair lady, you talk about like going out with no support. He went out with no support and he's figured it out fair. I was thinking tour I think like something like that. There's like a misconception.
Speaker 2: I have to have a tour card.
Speaker 4: I have to before I turn pro guess what like, if you are truly great, it does not matter because you are going to go get your tour card and nothing is going to hold you down, like the tour system. I believe that people who have like vested interest in certain players will always be like the Well, the system is just not fair. The system has ever held back a great player from being great.
Speaker 6: Ever, Yeah, that's true. Blades is a fair shoutout, But in general, I agree with you.
Speaker 3: Kevin the time and Rory announce their presence really early, and to go back to the Scotty. If you're referencing Scotty as like him being an exception, I think the other side of that is that it might be some level of evidence that he probably won't be one of those players ten years from now, because that's what he would have to do, is ultimately be a great, great player when he's thirty nine forty. So I think that's part of where I come from on them. Maybe I've seen the most dominant Scotti show.
Speaker 5: I mean the just watching the NBA, like Victor revegnanm is twenty two years old, like and this is sort of like he's arrived as like the best player in the game, and it makes you think like Lebron had kind of arrived by the time he was twenty one twenty two.
Speaker 1: It is the best player in the game for sure, and so.
Speaker 5: I you know, you want that as a sports fan, for that next thing to arrive, and it's not arriving right now.
Speaker 6: In golf, Jackson Cobbn turned twenty one a week ago.
Speaker 5: I think we need to wait and see, like, let's have Jackson. The potential is there for sure, and I want it to happen. But now it is like okay, like in the next two years, you probably got to show that you are to that next next thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think like the early evidence is great. I would just say I thought he should have turned pro last year. I just don't know what this year did for him, like going and just dominating something that you've already dominated is by kind of like this is I just you know, he had his card and I would just go I think, like the Blades brown thing, It's not like these guys like they can go back to college whenever they want, you know, arguably, I think ro jank should have turned pro at a younger age, and you know, she was the I think like there is like real like if you don't constantly I'd be fascinated to hear.
Speaker 2: What Rory maceleroy would say about about like what the.
Speaker 4: Early days in you know, in reading Allen's book, you know, it was like a nice memory of like the early days of Rory and there was a lot of like there were a lot of like learning experiences against you know, where he fell short against great forty year olds who have been doing it forever.
Speaker 2: Like that is a better.
Speaker 4: I think back to, like when you're a young player. Like one of the the best things is when you get paired with somebody who's like thirty five and you watch them play and you're like, wow, I don't have that shot. Jackson Coyven does not go out and play college golf and see any shot that it's like, wow, I should think about developing that, Like I don't like, I don't have that wedge that wedg like Jackson Coyvin. If he goes in place with Zach Johnson is going to be like wow, like I really like the way that guy wedges the ball. And this is a guy, Like we make fun of Zach all the time, but this is a guy that's won two majors and is probably going he's gonna be a Hall of Famer, you know, And it's like you pick up more from that than playing an entire season. Probably maybe not an entire season, but at least like two months of college golf, you'll pick up more from a round playing with Zach Johnson. I think that's the thing people don't realize is like just being around those guys and watching them work and watching what goes into Like there's this PGA Tour commercial where Rory like there are all these quotes about getting to the top of the game, and Rory's quote is something like, you know all the work that goes to getting to the top, it's almost more work to stay at the top. And like I think about that is like just being around the craft. The professionalism is it's so so important for young.
Speaker 5: Player and you make me think put on my father hat here of Like there's a lot of kids today, there's a lot of evidence to support this, don't want to get their driver's license. They're not drinking, they're not like having sex with the first time. They're they're sort of traditional markers towards adulthood that they're.
Speaker 1: Like kind of putting off whatever.
Speaker 5: I wonder if there's any like if I was a college kid and I was twenty one, and I was the best college player in the world, and I thought like, man, I'll have plenty of time for that, Like I can make I can stay here and make four million in nil money, and there's all kind of fun people around campus and beautiful women, and I can stay with my buddies and like never going to get this time back. I could see being tempted to be like, yeah, I'm going to run it back in college one more year, Like this sounds fun, man, I I'll be I'll have plenty of time to be a professional in the grind and to live in lonely hotel rooms for the next you know, however, many years. Maybe that sort of like lack of nudging the kids out the nest is do I mean, I don't think we have a real long term evidence to support this, but for athletes, but is like stunting some of that, like, hey, like you're missing what a huge development year that could have pushed you towards greatness.
Speaker 3: I could also just throw in I do believe that the gap between the standard that's required on the PGA Tour it's a little bit of a different landscape than twenty five to thirty years ago, and how cutthroat and grueling and polished that these PGA Tour players are. So I do think that is at least a notch in the category of like, let's it makes a little more. He's twenty one, like Jackson Quiban is still twenty one. I understand the point that he probably would be a little bit farther ahead if you turned pro a year ago. I think that is correct. I don't think it's crazy to stay in school for your junior year, turn pro at twenty one with full status, and then have like a five six year runway before you're expected to hit your prime.
Speaker 4: I would just sub up my thoughts of if you want to be, you know, one of the greatest to do anything, comfort is the ultimate enemy of development. And so you know, like I would say for most people, like stay in school, but if you want to be truly exceptional, the worst thing you can ever ever do is feel comfort.
Speaker 1: Oka deep thoughts.
Speaker 2: All right, my last my last one.
Speaker 4: This can be really brief a story that I continue, I hope just continues for the rest of the golf season, maybe for the rest of eternity. Is briceon to Shambeau using Gemini as a swing instructor.
Speaker 2: This, this to me is just amazing.
Speaker 4: You know how like JT holds up his phone and shows everybody his goals for the year, and that became at net. I just like to see a lens into into Bryson's Jebedi chat history.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I don't know that you would.
Speaker 5: But why does Bryson have a deal with Google Gemini? First of all, because.
Speaker 6: Sportsbox AI he did. He did purchase that company.
Speaker 1: Joseph, what do you think about this? Like, what what prompts would you have to put into uh.
Speaker 5: You know, an l LAM or whatever to get swing thoughts that would sort of fix your swing?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: You know, I just I cannot fathom this.
Speaker 3: I mean to be fair to Bryson, which is the start of a sentence. I didn't know that that I would find myself saying I don't think Bryson was using it as a swing instructor. He was trying to get some physics principles out of it, like what generates torque? And he was he was prompting it with physics based questions. Whether or not that's effective or a good use of his time, totally separate question. I think AI is very, very far from where they could look at a golf swing and determine what's going wrong, especially considering that I think there's a lot of descent among swing instructors on what could be going wrong and how you should handle it. And AI is not advanced past complicated issues among experts like it has to be trained on something. So no, I think I think Bryson is super far from being able to leverage AI for his swing and to get swing thoughts. But I think he was trying to understand torque and whatever he was talking about. I'm sure that Gemini can answer some of those questions. But what a natural pairing. Like how obvious was it that Bryson's going to be the AI golfer And over the next four to five years we're going to hear so much about course management and AI from Bryson, and when he wins, he's going to credit AI. This was the most obvious development in golf.
Speaker 5: I thought it was pretty hilarious when you know, the live media always makes me laugh because it's it's like North Korean propaganda stuff, these people who sit in these press conferences, like you know, over in Korea. And so somebody asked him, you know, boy, people really hang on every word that you say, like does it ever.
Speaker 1: Just like shock you?
Speaker 5: And right it's like, oh yeah, yeah, like obviously, like guess you know, but I just love the game so much. I love it more than my life, you know, and it's it felt a little bit like some direct you know response it to like what you know, me among other people were writing about some of this crazy interview that he gave with with Katie Miller and her podcast or whatever, and just you know, the idea that he lives a little bit of a lonely existence. Like, it doesn't surprise me that Bryson would get invested in the AI world because it's like someone immediately giving you feedback, giving you the exact thing that you are searching for and craving.
Speaker 1: And you know, it's funny. I was thinking a lot about my third one.
Speaker 5: We don't really have to spend time in it, but was Victor Hoblind And just you know, is Victor like Yesper Parnovic, like someone who's super talented and had this moment where he was like one of the best players in the world, but then his idiosyncrasies and his crazy like kind of slowly eroded that until he sort of became like a cautionary tale. It's actually probably Bryson. It's more likely to be this generation's yes Per Parnovic, like someone.
Speaker 1: Who's just so.
Speaker 5: Diving into yet another weird rabbit hole that's so different from the rest of the thing and thinks keeps telling himself, this is the way to change the world, change golf, and really like it's kind of pushing you further and further from what made you great.
Speaker 4: I think there's just a genuine with Bryson interest thing. I think Victor's going down rabbit holes and like for me, Bryson's kind of peaks and valleys are like when is tournament golf his main focus?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also I think in the be interesting to see how Bryson reflects on this when his career is over. I do think some people in this speed revolution lost a little bit of sight of some of the trade offs, and that when you pick up a lot of speed, if you can do it through just optimizing your driver and your launch conditions and not really changing your swing, then that's a pretty effective way to pick up some shots. If you do it by really aggressively speed training and picking up speed with your swing, the impact that that's going to have on your iron play, I don't think is something to dismiss. And I think for a lot of guys, and Bryson included, it was this is like risk free, there's no cost. I'm picking up shots on the field. I'm picking up shots on the field. Won the US Open, got validation out of that, and I think now that he's basically five years removed from that and still struggling with his iron play. And it's even gone downhill, you're gapping gets bigger, he continues to struggle with his irons. I think there's a little bit of a story in there that maybe some of this distance gain wasn't as cost free as some of these people thought. And I would put Bryson in that.
Speaker 6: Camp my last one.
Speaker 3: And I know we're running a little long here, so I'll be quick. I think the dynamic of Brian Rollapp trying facing pressure on both sides from the sports media market and also from his contingency of PGA Tour players one of the most fascinating dynamics in sports. Having an executive come in from outside of golf. Who I mean, he's probably one on the very short list of most equipped people to handle what the PGA Tour is facing with an NFL rights deal coming up, and potentially he's going to have to go back to his players and say pursues are shrinking if some of these companies don't have enough money to pay for professional golf after the NFL renegotiates it's deal. Guys like Patrick Cantlay telling Brian Rollapp we don't want things to change and wanting to have a full event schedule. I think watching Brian rollapp navigate this puzzle is probably going to be one of the most fascinating parts Gulf over the next five years.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I the role up thing is you know he he laid out in his presser and obviously you know, this is a huge story to watch, just the rights landscape, how much money is available and what the NBA. The NBA got this crazy deal that took up a lot of the share of the rights, the sports rights, you know kind of pot and the NFL jumping up to say we're renegotiating, and you know they're expected to basically take what's left.
Speaker 2: What does that leave the PGA tour.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would think that getting some of the streamer people involved, whether it's Netflix or Amazon or Apple like that might be the we might you know, remember you got you guys probably not be like old enough to remember this, Andy, maybe you. But when the NFL likes to deal with Fox Sports would reflect is Fox TV. It was a huge deal because not everyone in America had Fox and it was like, oh that what has changed here that the NFL will no longer be on the two three big broadcast networks or whatever. We might be trending towards a moment where like the PGA Tours on Apple TV and everybody not. You're not able to see the PGA Tour week to week basis because Apple has put up so much money that they're willing to be sort of like they have with soccer, like the place to go to find professional golf. I don't know that those things seem kind of realistic to me. If you're going to have to find the money somewhere, you're going to go somewhere else to get it than the main broadcast networks.
Speaker 3: And Brian willapped trying to negotiate that without owning a major championship like this is in him Trump making the push for to call on the players a major like this is a very real dynamic that I think reflects the pressure that he's feeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's it's going to be that whole dynamic is is a like a fascinating story, Wow, like what do you what do you do.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 4: And how does this all shake out? And I think I think generally like he's not going to be able to please everybody, like the something has to give the players, the players in their attitude towards how they interact with the tour and the tours you know, kind of financial future.
Speaker 2: And set up.
Speaker 4: There has to be a meeting for everything to work out and live in the issue. The The other thing here is live dying is not going to help Brian roll up achieve what he probably needs to do in order to to make the tour the most successful it can be.
Speaker 1: Stay tuned, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, thank you guys for joining Big. Thanks to PJ. Clark for editing and producing. Everybody can read all of Joseph and Kevin's thoughts every week in the newsletter. They're doing an exceptional job. Other big news, we launched an app Friday Golf Club. Everybody should go check that out. I've got a lot of texts about how.
Speaker 1: Fun it is.
Speaker 2: I've really enjoyed personally being in there. It's free.
Speaker 4: If you're a member, you get added benefits in there. But if you're a member you should absolutely get in there without a doubt. But it is a really neat little app, and maybe not so little. It will probably be bigger as it gets going. But lots of local groups and special interest groups within there, so join the community, get in the Friday Golf Club app. Big thanks to PJ for editing and producing this show and we will be back next week.