Speaker 1: Bagging everybody. I'm Dan Horde and thanks for downloading the Bengals Booth Podcast. The We did It Big, Yeah, we did it. We did it big. Addition, as the Bengals go with a big man with their first pick in the twenty twenty four.
Speaker 2: Draft, we're the eighteenth pick in the twenty twenty four NFL drafts, the Cincinnati Bengals select Amrius Mimes Teco, Georgia.
Speaker 1: That is one large bulldog making his way to Cincinnati.
Speaker 3: And so you see the size up there, six seven, three hundred and forty pounds.
Speaker 4: He is massive.
Speaker 1: Coming up. You'll hear from Zach Taylor and offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher, and you'll also hear what Amrius Mims had to say after being selected by Cincinnati. Then I'll discuss the pick with Dave Lapham and look ahead to what we think the Bengals are likely to do on Day two. The Bengals Booth Podcast is brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by kettering health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now here's a quick reminder that you can have the latest edition of this podcast delivered right to your phone, tablet, or computer by subscribing wherever you get your podcasts. It's the greatest thing since Bill Tobin, The father of Bengals Director of player Personnel Duke Tobin, passed away last week at the age of eighty three. Duke followed in his father's footsteps, as Bill Tobin was one of the great scouts in front office executives in NFL history, best known for the role he played in building the nineteen eighty five Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears, a team that featured six Hall of famers, including Walter Say and Mike Singletary. Bill joined Duke on the Bengals staff in two thousand and three and has been a trusted voice in the organization ever since. On a personal note, one of the many great things about my job has been sitting in the team cafeteria listening to Bill Tobin and Dave Lapham swap stories about their lives in football, the Bengals and the NFL. More in the loss of a great man in Bill Tobin. Now let's get to Round one of the draft. With six quarterbacks being selected in the top twelve picks, the Bengals had an abundance of enticing choices. With the eighteenth overall pick, the top cornerbacks were still on the board. Defensive tackle Johnny Newton was still there, but the Bengals selection likely came down to two offensive linemen, Troy f Utanu of Washington and Amarus Mims of Georgia. They chose the one with the highest ceiling. Mims. He's four inches tall and about twenty pounds heavier than Fatanu, who many draft gurus project as a guard in the NFL. Mims is also two years younger. The knock on a Marius is his lack of experience. He had nankel injury this year and only started eight games in three seasons with the Bulldogs. Here's offensive coordinator Dan Pitcher.
Speaker 5: I think we're all of the opinion that the only reason he's here for us to pick at eighteen is probably because of the fact that he only has eight starts and had he gotten through a played this whole season the way he played in the tape that we saw, there's a very low chance that we're even having an opportunity to pick him.
Speaker 1: Mims is a perfect fit on the Bengals offensive line literally and figuratively. He's nearly six ' eight and weighs three hundred and forty pounds, meaning he's roughly the same size as the tackle tandem of Orlando Brown and Trent Brown. Here's Zach Taylor.
Speaker 6: You know, it's those guys that have similar measurables and have gone through a lot of seasons, one Super Bowls to both of them. So I do it's coincidence at what We didn't set out to do this, but the way it's pointed out is makes us look brilliant.
Speaker 1: But Mims is remarkably athletic for his size and didn't allow his single sack at Georgia. Here's Pitcher.
Speaker 5: He's three forty, but he doesn't look like he's three forty. So he moves a lot better than what you'd expect a player that weight to move, and so he stays in really good position. He's seemingly unaffected by speed and bowl and he just he plays under control, he's comfortable. It's all the things that you want to see out of a guy that size to project to being a high end pass protector in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Since Trent Brown signed a one year contract to start a right tackle, there's no pressure on Mims to start right away. He told Cincinnati reporters that he's looking forward to learning from his that are in teammates.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent. I can get behind those guys and learn from the much as Orlando and Tread as much as possible. It's just wild man, just watching both of those guys in college and not in the league and just you know, getting getting to be in the same room with them. Man, it's just a blessing.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 1: MEM's watched the draft in Atlanta with his family and former teammates and coaches.
Speaker 4: All my family, my past teammates, passed coaches. But I said, close the members and friends with here today. And like I said, that, media actually just mad all into his cry and difficult life as a kid. I dream to be in a situation honestly, you know, and and don't say there's a lot of a lot of picks on this run. It does a lot of picks in the drafts man. For me to be at pick eight, things as wild Man.
Speaker 1: The Bengals booth podcast is brought to you by Paid Corps, proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. Now time for analysis of round one and a look ahead to Friday second and third rounds with Dave Lapham Lap You were hoping for JC Latham and Talsa Fuaga. Unfortunately they were taken before the Bengals were on the clock at number eighteen. But I don't get the sense from you that you are disappointed with the selection of Amarius Mims six seven, three hundred and forty pounds thirty six and an eighth inch arms. The man is a freak of nature.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and when we did our podcast, he was the guy that we were talking about. I mean, just sheer measurables are extraordinary. I mean his hand size from his pinky to his thumb tip of each eleven and a quarter almost a ruler that he's palming. Their wingspan eighty six and three quarters seven feet two inches plus I mean, he is big everywhere you want a guy to be big, and an athletic thing is he's not as stiff. He can move eight starts, limited number of snaps. But all I can say is the last player the Bengals drafted in the offensive line that had limited starts and was extremely athletic, it was Anthony Wunhams that sure worked out, worked out okay. And I can remember vividly talking to Forest Greg and he said, when he went out and worked Anthony Munhos out, Anthony Winos put him on his butt, and when he put his hand out to pull force Greg up, he said, he engulfed my hand. He was up by my wrist and forearm. So you know, you're talking measurables and athleticism. That's what this kid is.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Obviously the best ability of the best ability is availability, and he has struggle with that, you know, somewhat, But obviously so did Anthony. It certainly didn't curtail a career that, in my mind, is the best any offensive lineman has ever had. And if Mims can just get to whatever level of that, the Cincinnati Bens would be very very pleased. I wonder what Mike Brown was thinking. I mean, he was involved in both of those selections. I wonder if Mike Brown talked about, you know, brought up Anthony and the parallels between them and the process of the evaluation and all that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: This is an upside pick. He's not needed right away. They signed Trent Brown to a one year contract to play right tackle. You take a big swing here for a Marius Mimms, hoping he can be the type of guy that you only can land with a first round.
Speaker 3: Draft pick exactly. I mean, the floor is the tape, and there's not a whole lot of tape. The you know, the ceiling is character, and it seems that he's got a lot of that, not just football character, but overall character. The thing that's going to be great though with him is he comes in here with two massive human beings, the Browns at the manning the two tackle positions, six ' eight, three hundred and whatever, plus you know, big, strong hands, long arms, just like him. It's like, Okay, we'll bring you in and you're gonna learn from guys that have very similar body type to you, and they've learned how to use that body to win in the National Football league, not just individually against their opponent, but win super Bowls. I mean they're both Super Bowl champions. So I think that he is in an unbelievable place in his career to learn from two outstanding football players and high character guys as well. I think that he couldn't really ask for a better situation. I mean, he was all excited about being coached by Frank Pollack too. I think he and Frank Pollitck hit it off big time, you know when they came here and met each other and got on the board and talked football and all that. So, you know, And the other thing is, I mean, he played at Georgia. He is He's coming from winning culture. He's working with offensive linemen that you know for project his starters are Super Bowl winners. I mean, it's it's a there's a lot of pluses there. He went against the guys he played against when he did have his eight starts with quality players. He practiced against quality players every single every single practice snap that he took down there at Georgia. They recruit the best players you know, on the planet at the college football level. So it's not like, you know, this is he's he's just inexperienced, you know, in terms of number of snaps. But he's not raw. He's proven he can do it, just needs to do it in a more volume basis.
Speaker 1: We mentioned the size six seven, three forty. The thing that people keep bringing up is that he's got a low body fat percentage. Normally, when you see three hundred and forty pound offensive lineman, when they take the shirt off, there's you know, there's a little bit jiggling there. Seventeen percent body fat for a guy his size is indeed highly unusual.
Speaker 3: Genetic freakazoid, I mean, genetic marvel he is. He's put together. He's put together in the right places. You know. I think if you were to go into laboratory and concoct you know, I'm gonna put in raw materials here in this formulation to create the epitome of a body type for an offensive tackle, Marius Mims would come spitting out of there. I mean, he's that type of guy. But you know, the thing is, I've seen guys that look like Tarzan play like Jane, and I've seen guys that look like you know, the guy getting off the collecting your rubbers off the truck to pick up your trash who goes out there and kicks button, takes names. So it's not just you know, it's not it's it's not a beauty pageant. It's not a body beautiful thing. But the fact is he can play. He can play. He's athletic. He's not a stiff. A lot of sometimes you see these big, you know, big herculean type guy, stiff as a board. This guy's fluid, athletic again, big in the right places, and he is I think with the upside potential he has, it's probably limitless at this point. I mean, if I'm Frank Pollock, I'm sitting there and I've got an enormous amount of clay, and I'm going to construct a work of art because this guy has all the raw materials to put together a work of art. And I think Frank Pollack's going to be excited to get everything he can out of this guy.
Speaker 1: A three hundred and forty pound block of clay. That is something to work with. In this era of the extra year, due to COVID and the transfer portal, ANIL, etc. There are a lot of older players in this draft. He's twenty one years old. He had a three point six GPA. Sounds like he's a smart kid, came off well in his conference call with Cincinnati Area reporters. So a lot of those things you're looking for in somebody that you can develop into being a Pro Bowl type player right there.
Speaker 3: Not only younger, but nowhere and tear So again, you have you have a guy that's coming in here with a floor, but his ceiling is I don't know how many stories up there. It's it's incredibly high. And you know, again, it's almost like I'm thinking about Anthony Munhos. I mean, Anthony came in. There's not a better human being walking the planet in Anthony Munhos. I mean high character guy, intelligent guy. This kid seems to have some of those those traits as well. So I don't want to you know, Okay, I'm not gonna say if he if he doesn't play like anything Winos, this guy's a bust. I'm not saying that whatsoever. What I am saying is the league was scoffing at the Bengals for taking Anthony Winows. He was off most teams board and the and the Bengals take him top five pick and the rest of the league falling about it, and now you know, they're all like, oh man, that is the greatest What a brilliant pick, What a brilliant move the Cincinnati Bengals made. It was gutsy and it was it certainly, uh it certainly got a lot of criticism when they did it. But then as soon as Anthony Muni was panned out, oh man, that was the greatest move anybody ever made as a franchise. And hopefully that's the situation with Mims.
Speaker 1: Troy Fought Wutanu from Washington went a few picks later to the Pittsburgh Steelers. Why do you think the Bengals went Mims over fought Wutanu.
Speaker 3: I think because, you know, looking at the body and looking at the upside potential. I mean, again, I don't want to bring anything back to Anthony Munhos, but it's like he's off the board in a lot of teams, and there were other tackles out there, but as it turned out, couldn't hold a candle on to Anthony Munhos and the Bengals won. I think they were thinking that this guy may pan out to be the best tackle in the draft in this year's draft. Went all of a said and done and who knows, you know, three years, five years, seven years, ten years down the road, that's when you, you know, evaluate that sort of thing. But I think a lot of a lot of times you're you're taking players based on upside potential and environment that they're going to. And George is a great environment, there's no question about that. But I think, you know, he feels like and the Bengals feel like he's coming into a good situation with the offensive lineman that we already talked about and that he's going to be a part of. And you talk about the biggest offensive lining captivity. My gosh, man, they should they should charge an emission fee to watch these guys come up, walk out of the locker room to go to the practice field, or to get on the bus and off the bus and on the plane and off the plane. I mean, it's crazy, but I do think honestly, when I if I were him, when I'd sit back and think about it after the fact, Man, I really had a great visit, really liked the offensive line coach. I think he's going to be able to develop me. And that's the key is Anthony Wuinho has had Jim McNally. You know, hopefully frankmin yapp Frank Pollock has the same influence on this young man that Jim mcneally had on Anthony Munhals and Anthony Muniolls will tell you that he was luckiest guy in the world. He had a great offensive line coach at USC, Mims had a great offensive line coach at Georgia. We've already talked about the fact that they didn't take as many snaps in college as that they had hoped. They come to the NFL and they're developed more by really good offensive line coaches at the NFL level. I mean, there's so many parallels there, and I think that's probably the biggest reason that you know that Frank and the Bengals went in that direction.
Speaker 1: Six quarterbacks went in the first twelve picks. As a result, the top cornerback was still on the board when the Bengals were on the clock. Johnny Newton was still on the board. Great edge rushers were still on the board. Do you think that they were briefly reconsidering whether they wanted to stick with the offensive lineman or were they just celebrating the fact that Mims was still there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it sounded like they were high five, and you know the fact that the fact that Mims was still there, it didn't In the conversations that you know that Zach Taylor and Dan Pitcher had with the media after the pick, it didn't sound like there was much of a hesitation, nothing deterred them from Okay, it's Mims. I mean, he's the guy. It sounds like he was as the offensive lineman started to come off. He was the guy that they were targeting and hoping that he would be there at eighteen. And they didn't have to move a muscle to do it.
Speaker 1: All right, let's look ahead to day two. The Bengals have one second round pick, two third round picks. What position groups would you like to see them attack? And do you have any names that you'll be dreaming about tonight in preparation for Day two?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I don't know. I mean, if Newton slides to the to the you know, eighteen in the Sarah, you know, if he's there as we're speaking, I'm not sure what's taking place in the rest of the second round, but if a guy like a guy like that is there, would I would highly consider that. But also, you know, look at obviously the wide receiver position, and again not knowing who is who's coming off the board in the first round and who who might be there you know in the second but Keon Coleman would be a guy. And then and then Baker from Central Florida potentially in the third round, if if he's still you know, on the board, and then you know, defensive players has been an offensive draft obviously have set a record. Uh, it didn't draft any defensive players for the longest period of time during the course of the day. But again, if if if Newton is there, you got to think about him. I mean, if there are edge rushers. Edge rushers hadn't been coming off the board before the Bengals picked at eighteen, so you got to think that some of the some of those guys might slide down a little bit. I do like this Darius Robinson from Georgia. I think he can play inside in outside. You know, Mason Smith from LSU in the third round, McKinley Jackson potentially in the third round at the defensive tackle position. Quarnerback is going to be wide open. I mean, gosh, there're you know, I've got a dozen more candidates in the first two rounds and all of them aren't going to go obviously at be a candidate there at eighteen. I think they've got options. I think the way the way the draft started out, every team in the league that didn't have to worry about the quarterback position was thrilled. I mean half the first twelve picks in the draft. It's like man our board is still so intact. Its unbelievable, Like the Bengals are saying, you know, I mean they basically rated the quarterbacks on their board as Okay, who's the better football player? Is it this quarterback or the other guy? And they had many other people between you know, those quarterbacks that were drafted in the six quarterbacks draft in the top twelve picks. So it's going to be interesting that the rip effect that that has, you know, on the second round, and how far down the ripple effect goes into the third round.
Speaker 1: Zach Taylor's first first round pick at the Bengals head coach as an offensive lineman Jonah Williams now in year six he gets another and a Marius Mims can't wait to meet the big fellow tomorrow.
Speaker 3: And it's crazy he was drafted to be a candidate at some point in time to take the position of Jonah Williams. I mean he played both left and right and Mims is going to be, you know, working at both right and left tackle position. I mean he's athletic enough and you know, messive enough obviously to do it. Yeah, it's it's a came full circle, unbelievable.
Speaker 1: More to come tomorrow night, after Day two of the draft, you'll hear from the selections Bengals coaches and once again I'll discuss the picks with Dave Lapham. That's going to do it for this episode brought to you by pay Corps, Proud to be the Bengals official HR software provider, by Alta Fiber future proof fiber Internet designed to elevate your home, business and community to a new level, and by Kettering Health the best care for the best fans. Kettering Health is the official healthcare provider of the Bengals. If you haven't done so already, please subscribe to this podcast and if you have a minute, give it a rating or share a comment that helps more Bengals fans find us. I'm Dan Hord and thanks for listening to The Bengals Booth Podcast.