Speaker 1: Warning. Today's episode contained supposed for a House of the Dragon season three episode three be warned. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcion and I'm Rosie Night and welcome back to ext reviews of the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comixopop culture coming from my Heart, where we're bringing you three episodes a week.
Speaker 2: Well, it's another banger episode coming from Western ros with House of the Dragon episode three oh three.
Speaker 3: You want to know how Rniar's first day is going as Queen? Not very Well, it's tough.
Speaker 2: Did you know it was a hard job? Jason, I feel like she should have been more prepared. But we'll talk about that. We're gonna recap. We're gonna talk about our feelings about this incredible episode and where it sets us up before episode four.
Speaker 1: Let's jump into it. We open on Ormond High Towers camp in the reach his army marching towards King's landing. Damon has landed there with some dragon Seed dragon Rider back up and he has come to accept the surrender of Ormond High Tower. He brings some very important news. One, King Agan is dead, He's gone, Rania has ascended and Aim don't worry about it. He promises Ormond that his people will be spared, his life will be spared. Just swear to the queen, turn around and walk back. And also Otto is dead. I killed out him. And Ormand is like, well, let's talk about, like what if I want to fight you a little bit, And Damon is like, we're going to cook you up and then I'm gonna make.
Speaker 2: Old time.
Speaker 1: So Orman's like, well, I guess I gotta do it. So he kneels and then Damon does the thing where he's like that, he does the colombo.
Speaker 3: He is literally like he does the horna thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, one more.
Speaker 3: Thing, just one more thing, uh actually actually.
Speaker 1: And then the last thing is starre On targarian. You gotta give him up. I need him, I need him hostage. I'll send some guys to pick up the dragon later. So they bring out a very very targarian looking young man. I mean, this guy looks like link from a legend of his own right.
Speaker 3: He is so blonde. He's a perfect targarian.
Speaker 2: It's one of the better targarian hairstyles we have seen.
Speaker 3: So you're, of course, like Damon, You're just.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, I got it.
Speaker 2: That's my nephew, and it well Matt nephew, that's what he says. I'm like, babe, you guys need to be carrying around some.
Speaker 3: Little like portraits.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know of the last time it was seen like a little locket, like hey, can I you know it's not a fox.
Speaker 3: Oh you can't tea to him and be like have you seen this kid? But maybe a little something the.
Speaker 1: Tip back in King's Landing, Rania is just dealing with the like open fire hydrant of things that she has to deal with. They're coming in her at a million miles an hour. Meanwhile, she's you know, reminiscing about you know, how strange it is to be like in her father's chambers but now she's queen. Damon comes and is like ormon surrendered. We have Darren hostage, and Raniera, probably inspired by by just being around her dad's stuff, is like, you know what, I'm going to rule the way he would have wanted. So let's start.
Speaker 3: And Damon's like rolling his eyes, but.
Speaker 1: Let's start here. We Uh, it's time for the coronation, and that's gonna be an important thing to seal my legitimate legitimacy. And you know to make my make my reign as authentic as possible, We're gonna need to do that. She meets with Darren, She's like, what's going on with you know, the the Usurpers? Do you know anything about them? What was Ormond's battle plans? Do you know where the former King Eggon is? Do you know where Amon is? Anything? Kid refuses to say anything, So she's like, well, listen, you're gonna have to say something to me at some point and go sit take him away. And Damon is like, We're gonna have to kill that kid at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, babe, you got to chop his head off, Like you can't just be doing this. But it is also like, I just I think this is a great moment where you really see Raniera kind of not able to immediately step into that leadership that she has been expecting too, because.
Speaker 3: She is just she's just really no. She wants to be like her dad.
Speaker 2: But she's also just like so thrown by this kid refusing to talk to her, and she wants to be calm and just so she doesn't, you know, immediately strike him or something. But at the same time, this is like should be a great win for her to have him there when it comes to understanding who was part of the conspiracy. So it's I just find it to be very interesting. I love soft dren Era, so I kind of love the way she approached this. But it's funny to have Damon there as her kind of evil Jiminy Cricket reminding her of what she actually needs to do.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's quite clear that she listen. She doesn't. She's she's trying to figure out how to rule. A lot of things have happened in a very short amount of time, and she's a lot of things coming at her. As we said, she takes her free.
Speaker 2: In months, right, Jason, only months since Eggon was crowned king.
Speaker 1: Right, that's correct, And it's been you know, like Jace's body is still warm. So and she so she takes a meeting with her small counsel or while grandmaster or a while, and list brings some troubling news. There's no money. Treasury's empty, it's been stolen where you go. There's probably there's probably enough gold just like around to run the government for like a couple of weeks, but certainly a coronation is out of the picture. Ye white Worm Missaria thinks that, you know, or While is probably telling the truth he doesn't know where the cash is. Orwhile is like, yes, of course, why would they tell me where they're going to take the cash. But if anybody knows where they took the cash, is probably Thailand Lanister, the late Lord Tayland Lanister, and maybe probably told right. And he might have told Lord Jasper wild Akai Ironrod, the Master of Laws who is now dead because Damon killed him whoops. And he was like, We're we'll fucking doing it anyway. We'll like, we're doing the coronation anyway. Worm is like, is that gonna be a good look? People are starving. They you know, they have no heating fuel, they've they have no food, and you're gonna be spending lavishly. Corlis is like, well, if we're gonna spend on anything, we should spend on the fact that the triarchy are still around sacking the coastline. We have to deal with that. Misari is like, well, the granaries are empty and the small folk, and Damon's like, fuck the small folk. As I you know, Damon is very stridently fucked the small folk.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I do think it's a really interesting exploration of that this week.
Speaker 3: I love this episode.
Speaker 2: I mean every episode consistently being this good, us being three in and all of them being bangers. Even though this is so different from the first two episodes. There is so much interesting stuff about class and agenda here, and we really start to see what Masaria's agenda is, and it is very much like many of the other small folk that we have seen rise us through the ranks of King's landing is to help the other small folk, right, and obviously she may have machinations on that, she also understands how good it will look. We know what that was like for you know, Marjorie and kind of her reign and being the queen.
Speaker 3: Of the people. You know, I'm from England.
Speaker 2: People love we all love Princess Diana there, you know, we get it so like. But then to see Damon, who essentially will as we'll talk about later, lays out how he sees the Targarians and how he sees Ranera, and it is like the polar opposite to what Misia is thinking. There's so much fun to be had, and I love how much Damon is just relishing in this true belief where he has become the man who sees him as ants essentially right, that's just irrelevant to him.
Speaker 1: To be fair to Damon and Cordless, it is not an easy question. There is a balance to be struck here because to Damon's point, like, there are enemies in there close by, and we've got to really try and lock down this kingdom before we lose it. And while you know, listen, I think everybody should be fed, I also feel like we've got to find we've got to find a way to balance that because if we feed them and then lose the capital, or feed them and then don't have an army to send at these raiders, so it is it is legitimately it's a big question.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, I also I like that you bring that up because I think a big thing that works really well this episode is you see how badly run kings Landing has been, and how now there is somebody who is willingly saying I will step up and lead. Every single person has a request, a want, and a need, and it is overwhelming. Ranera is having to make choices at a ridiculously fast speed, and it is not given the time that it needs to think about the long term ramifications of anything, Like, there are moves that she makes in this episode that made me scream with joy, and immediately after moves that made me think you are fucked, Like you just fucked your entire career.
Speaker 3: So like, it's so fun to see that because I think it.
Speaker 2: Is, you know, not I'm it's realistic, the grind of being a royal. No, but in the world of Game of Thrones, I love to see this kind of drudgery. Yes, we've never really seen the royals going through the drudgery like.
Speaker 1: She there's real trade off leading.
Speaker 2: Up to this, right, and now all of a sudden she has to deal with the fact that every single person needs something from her, and it's everyone needs something different and everybody wants something different, even the people she loves, let alone the millions of people that she's now in charge of. It's so well done. It is really like, it feels to me a little unlike any other episodes of Game of Thrones that we've had, because it's very in Rania's head and in her POV like whenever we're with her, we're kind of experiencing the day as she does, and that is a really cool vantage point because her day fucking.
Speaker 1: Suck, so Rania fires off some executive orders. She's like, listen, send ravens out to all the great houses, tell them we need money. I'm not bringing my dragon Stone Small Council here because they betrayed me, they let me down, they questioned me every turn. I'm leaving them there or while updates the Small Council on Aimand he burned Harron Hall, including Damon's token force that he left there and he has disappeared. Renia wants to know about sheepstealer. Where is sheepstealer?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Who is this sheep stealer rider? She offers a bounty on the rider's head on layaway because there's no ways she has no money, and babe, and the same for whoever kills Aimand And we also see that.
Speaker 3: They she offers them Haroen hole.
Speaker 2: She offers them Haaren if you kill Aimed one, you will get haron Hole because I don't need it because all the river lands online, that's right.
Speaker 1: And also the castle is completely infested with because of the death and torture of the rat catchers in the wake of the murder of the children, the murder of.
Speaker 2: The Also I love that so much too, because it's a one, it pays off in a really great way I didn't see coming.
Speaker 3: But two, there.
Speaker 2: Is this great kind of feeling that it inspires where every you know, those days where you're already really pissed off and everything's really stressful, and then like your sleeve catches on the doorknob and you drop your keys or something, and you're like, I'm at my fucking limit.
Speaker 3: Every single time. Raniera is at her limit.
Speaker 2: This episode, she sees a fucking rat, Like something really bad is happening, and she is stressing out and she hears a fucking rat and she looks and she.
Speaker 3: Sees these motherfuckers running around.
Speaker 2: So it's this again, this kind of reminder of the ruin that she has been left with that she now has to build from, but it will also inspire this fantastic scene later that I just adored.
Speaker 1: Rania is using Captain Largent, Commander Largent of the City Watch as her main queen's guard at the moment, but of course he doesn't want the job, and he's got a much more important job dealing with the City Watch and all the things that have to be patrolled within the city and security. She sees she tells him that Damon will see to finding new Queen's guard candidates. And meanwhile, again as noted, people are coming out of the woodwork to talk to her about the candles, about the washing, about the drapes and so chamber, everything is like got to go through her. Ranera goes to see Alison and Helena and is like, do you guys know where the money is? Alison has no idea where the money is. She's like, they would not tell me anything. Raniera is like kind of barely keeping it together with the stress. She's like, wants to know where Vega is, sheep stealer and the like. Alison basically tells her, listen, you're the Queen. I did my job. I got you in here. I'm done. Chill out. And by the way, Eggon, nobody knows what he looks like now because he's like horrendously burned. He probably won't live, so just to clear him dead anyway and move on. And Alison is being honestly pretty cool about this all considered.
Speaker 2: She is I'm not gonna lie as well. Like for me the Allison Raniera lover, I adore this kind of moment because we do get to see that this is where Raniera chooses to be vulnerable is with Allison, because there's this great moment where she sort of grips the table and almost has a panic attack, and that is when Allison says, you see in her mind something shifts and she thinks, fuck, I can ask for her, yeah, to say hegun's dead like shit, she needs help. And it's kind of this like incredible unexpected allyship of like two people trying to help each other while trying to survive. And it's just it's what this show does so well. And to have Helena there as this kind of little, you know, pure innocent in it.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's so good, such a great scene.
Speaker 1: Rania says, listen, when everything's calm and I've found amend and he's dead, you and Helena Allison can go, But until then, we're gonna keep you here. You're gonna live in the style that you're accustomed to, like a queen et cetera. Like I know, yeah, I know, you're not happy about it, but that's the way it's got to be. Allison points out that how fucked up it is that now she's got a hope for the death of her son Aimond and free, and Renier is like, yeah, you're right. Raniera tells Captain Largent, Commander large and excuse me to announce that Eggon is dead. Just just put that put that news bullet me out there, and that's right. And furthermore, bring my youngest son Jeoffrey back from the veil, because that's the new air. Meanwhile, Missaria is like, this is a very nice castle. This is this nice. Raniera is getting paranoid. The white worm is kind of feeding it, suggesting, you know, killing darn but of course Ranera doesn't want to. Raniera is as a great example of how much stress she's under. She's just hallucinates Jace walking the walls, which is very very bad. There's also this like they use this sound design that like kind of low, kind of like orchestral stab that's like boom every time something happens, that like kind of triggers her stress, and it's I think it's very effective. Raniera tells the white worm question the staff, find out which of the people here in the castle are working against me, plotting against me, and we'll deal with them later. The High Septon comes to see the Queen and he says, listen, we can't we can't do a coronation. Why well, let's see, I annointed Eggun and she's like, well he's dead, and so he says, okay, well there there's a very specific procedure that we go through this as everybody watches Game of Thrones nose and has seen, Yeah, the Silence Sisters prepare the body, and that lets us know that officially that person is dead and we don't have a body. The sisters didn't prepare it anyway, So you're just I'm just taking your word for it, and not that I'm saying you're a liar, but it's like, it's kind of hard for me to then to anoint you because I just anointed him, and Ranhiera is very frustrated, and it's clear that she's already thinking about like how do I kill this guy later?
Speaker 2: Honestly, in my opinion correct I also want to say, Rania, Babe, you mistakenly fucked up by not thinking it through with the plan because she specifically told people and told Logent to tell them that they'd found Eggon in the castle. So then that makes this really sucks. Babe, two of your kids go eaten by dragons. Just tell them, get them again, eat then by a dragon, like give them a gain them a butt up, body, give them.
Speaker 3: This is not planning, baby.
Speaker 2: And what I think is really interesting here that I really this was immediately something I wrote down of like I gotta ask Jason about the lore of this. Right, so we know we've seen a lot of like drama between the faith in the Crown and the Septin and the Crown, but we get this great moment here with the High Septum where he kind of talks about how dragons are this profane magic they were created by like disgusting evil, lust and greed because.
Speaker 3: Rania is like, bitch, I got dragons, Like, do fuck with me?
Speaker 2: And I want to know if that is like a big canon part of the book, like is this is like do does do all faith leaders hate dragons? Is this a regular issue or is this something they're expanding on here?
Speaker 1: The Turgerians are aliens in this land, and while there are those feeling they're seen as exceptional because of the dragons, and none of the Septans who are quoted or any of the religious lay people who who speak about these periods and the novellas really kind of talk specifically from a like forty thousand foot view about the Targarians. They'll talk about like specific family members or specific people being evil or being paranoid or whatever. They don't talk about the entire group being bad per se, because I think that would be politically very dangerous thing to do. But it's but so this show is extrapolating and kind of fleshing out what those feelings would be like on a more personal ground level. Yeah, but so and and by the way, A Night of the Seven Kingdoms also fleshed out these feelings as well, where it's like it's clear that everybody was like, you know, we don't love the Targarians, but what are you going to do? They did show up with dragons, So.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of, yeah, this is in a way, I guess do you think I guess The bigger question I have is like, do you think this is leading to a bigger conflict between this specific scept I do?
Speaker 3: Right? It feels because it does feel is going to kill him.
Speaker 2: He doesn't feel like they kinda it doesn't feel like this is just gonna He's gonna die and that's the end of it.
Speaker 3: He says, setting something up.
Speaker 1: He says to her, don't make an enemy of the faith. The you know, because left On said is that in this time of hardship, the people cling to the faith, and if you make an enemy of the faith, you'll make an enemy of the people. And I think that is a message that Raniera should listen to. And we'll see if she does. I don't I at this point, obviously they're they're squared up for a conflict. Corliss has dinner with the queen and the boys, Adam and Allen. That boy, he's like, listen, you may have guessed, but these are my illegitimate sons. I had them with this this lady who is hanging around Driftmark and ladies. Yeah, ship is a shipwright lady. And I was listen. I was a little embarrassed of that, because you know, I love my wife. But obviously my wife's not here and she died.
Speaker 3: Yeah, with the way things are.
Speaker 1: Going right now, I'm going to need airs. So I would really appreciate it if we could legitimize Alan here and uh so I can name him my heir, and could you do that that? You know, these they are the last of the Valarians, you know anyway, and Raniera kind of gives a bullshitty kind of hemming and hang, answer, it's clear she does not want to do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she hypes up the kids and compliments them, but she like won't commit.
Speaker 1: She's like, we love the kids, they're fucking great, but like, let's talk. Maybe we'll table this later, eat.
Speaker 3: This little chicken and shut up a little chicken leg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we leave without a clear answer on that topic, but I think we certainly get the picture that Raniera doesn't want to do that right now. Meanwhile, Raniera is still seeing and hearing weird things. She goes through her bedroom formerly her father's bedroom. She can't sleep there. She goes to the next room and sleeps next to Damon. She prepares for her first day of open court, and she's like trying to figure out, like, Okay, nobody's got any food, but like, so how much jewelry should I wear? Therefore, like to open.
Speaker 2: Ran which again trenchiant fantastic fucking writing that you think is just her doing weird like kind of thinking out loud, but like essentially sets up everything else for the rest of the episode. Like the fucking detail writing in this stuff is so good.
Speaker 1: So she then realizes she's having her period and not to mention she's under tremendous stress. This is a very interesting book change because in the books.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: In the books, from Septon Eustace's account, who is an unreliable narrator who doesn't like Reniera, he says that she cut herself on the throne and would freak cut herself as she sat the throne over time during her reign during this period in King's Landing. And is that propagandistic? Is he trying to delegitimize her rain? Unclear?
Speaker 2: But so it's very interesting that just a reading of like was it just how how would they reveal?
Speaker 1: How would he know? Though? How would he know she was on her period?
Speaker 2: I wonder a because we see let her handmaids get like rags. But also I did consider, you know, she realizes when she is standing in her dress, right, she has this great moment where she just goes, fuck, I'm bleeding and you've realized, like, her bad day is about to get a lot worse. And I think the way they bring it to life via sound design and camera use and shaky cam and stuff is so good. But also what if you know she bled through her dress, and people saw her bleed and they assumed that she you know, cut.
Speaker 3: Herself on there.
Speaker 2: I just I think I love the unreliable narration of it all, and how the you know, so it happens regularly throughout her run.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: So there are three three There are several options. The first option is that this is a propagandistic retelling of the historical we now see fact that Rania was having her period when she first sat the throne to you know, accept the public, to meet the public. Two excepting you sisters, make making sit up, making it up, making completely making that up in order to make Raniera seem like she never had the judgment of the gods and was never fit to rule. And then those are really our only two options, right right, Like yeah.
Speaker 2: I would say, like the yeah, I think the other option as well as like the it was about I guess it was like an allegorical way of use this talking about it, because honestly, like the idea of her the day she sits the throne, God chooses to make her bleed, you know, it's like essentially the throne cut.
Speaker 3: I wonder if there's like an interesting kind of angle.
Speaker 1: I think the third the third option is that this is simply a show change, and that in the book version of events, she was cutting herself on the blades of the throne, and in this telling of the version, she was on her period.
Speaker 2: I never cut hers because we're seeing different perspectives, right, And I will say a lot of this episode, what I love about it is about how ranierer for better or for worse. Right, we don't know yet, we don't know how it's all going to play out, but she turns to women every single time. In this episode, she listens to Allison's advice. Alison tells her say my son's dead, and she does it moments later, right, like then it's the handmaid who knows she's on her period. It's a handmaid who brings her the stuff for cramps. And then it's Missia who will start to shape her first day on the throne and the choices that she makes. So it's really interesting to me that they also tied it to the period. So, yeah, it's just just a really cool choice. And Emma, again they are just fucking smash.
Speaker 3: At the throw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the petitioners come and it's just very complicated. You know, the weavers need sheep, but all the sheep were fed to the dragons because of the war. There's no money to buy new sheep. Also, the butchers are out of meat. What about hunting?
Speaker 3: The kings would shave the sheep.
Speaker 1: What about hunting in the kingswood. Maybe we could do that, like, you know, we'll talk about it, but all the hunters went off to war. One of Missaria's colleagues comes asking for justice for the common folks, saying, you know, the rich people, the nobles, they are hoarding all the resources, and what do we do about it? Small counts meeting. Damon does not like this kind of brewing class warfare angle. Misaria obviously loves it, so they they bicker there. Damon says Bayla saw Sunfire dead and rotting in the field. After Eggon's drunk dragon ride and crash. Raniera says, send Bayla out again with Adam tonight to do more scouting look for vagar. Corliss is like, I'm gonna I'm neutral on the class warfare queen. Whatever, the queen says.
Speaker 3: Listen to me.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the warm asks, okay, what would your father do? And I think quite accurately Rania says he would have a banquet, he would have a dinner. Wolf needs a new needs a style, he needs a new nickname to come with. They come up with Ulf the White. Hugh is Hugh the Hammer, Adam is Adam of Hull, not Valarion. They kneel and Damon knights them all, so now they are all sirs, and they swear fealty to the queen until death. All saying until death is very funny because you just get the feeling like probably it's not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: It's happening.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, a different way, maybe very unreliable.
Speaker 2: He was like so so bad at this, Like when he was like, I'm miss stout myself as a Tagarian and they're like absolutely fucking not, Like you do not have the juice and you do not have the drip. It's not happening. Style yourself as Off the White. You'll be fine.
Speaker 1: He was like, what how much are you paid? And Raniera is like, tbd on that. We're having money issues right now. But if you want to go get your wife from wherever she fled to, we will get you a house out there on the Street of Steel or somewhere when will.
Speaker 3: I send Visenya's Hill Vicenya's Hill?
Speaker 1: When will we get the house? You know, like the we'll do, we'll we'll work on that needs to get back. She needs to get better at delegating. Alison comes to see Raniera. She has a request. She asks that Auto's remains be sent to old Town. That's done. Then Raniera is like, you were queen for a while and you were really kind of running things in the shadows, like what's give me some advice, And basically, Alison says, listen, you're gonna have to change the the realities of power mean that you can't be the person that you think that you have been or maintain your same kind of relationship to your morals. You're gonna have to change. And Ranera is like, nah, I'm built different. That's not gonna happen to me. And Alison's like, okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this shit is like so good.
Speaker 2: I love the switch here where Ranera was always the one kind of giving Alison the advice when they were kids, and then it's now Alison and she's fucking real about it too, like this isn't a lie. She's not trying to excuse the bad shit she did. She's just telling Renera like you're gonna You're gonna do horrible shit, and Raniera just wants to be like her dad. Also, Jason, I do have to ask you here, even as the ultimate Allison apologist, I do feel like the request for Otto's remains to be sent to old Town could be weighted towards trying to get Ormond High Tower to be like more pissed off, right, Like, like the proof that Otto is dead feels like it might not be the chill. I just want my parents to rest together plan and I think, like I don't want Alison to be doing anything that doesn't help my babe Branera.
Speaker 3: But also, like tell me what you'll read on this was I mean, that's just felt a lot more weighted.
Speaker 1: That's just a normal thing to ask for. And even if you're okay at war, you know, for instance, respect Yeah, I mean ned Stark had his head cut off for being a trader to the crown, and they still send his bones to winterfol Like you just do that. That's that's what is done here, considering that as it's a courtesy that royals would afford each other, you know, because they are a different class of person, and and it would be seen as very important. Now, I guess there's a world in which Raniera could use the bones as leverage, like maybe see if you can get some other concessions, or at least wait until like Ormond is definitely gone back.
Speaker 2: And maybe because she has theren she doesn't think she needs to do that. Yeah, unclear, but but you know, I think that's just that's just a normal thing. That it's just a normal thing. Okay, good, I don't want Allison to betray my hand. I'm loving where they're at right now.
Speaker 1: So we go to the banquet and Raniera makes a big speech. She's like everything's being going great, it's so nice to have you all here, and of course, like obviously it's weird that you were supporting the usurper, but like that's all forgotten.
Speaker 3: Now let's bring so much good, like little shade.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's bring the food out. And then the food comes out and it's all like like broiled rat, no maggots and shit. The nobles are shocked, and Rnera says, well, this is what the common folk of me eating. So while you're here right now, my gold cloaks are in your houses and in your storerooms, raiding the stuff and redistributing it to the common people. Good night, and she goes toay if Torn Manderly. Torn. Manderly is like loving this and she's like why why are you so He's like, I think it's a very smart move, Like I think that. I think it's obviously a short term solution, but it's a short term solution that will make the small folk forget that it was your blockade that kind of caused everything. And then see he walks off. Damon and Raniera discuss this. It will buy her some time. He agrees, but they need to find like a real proper solution. She's like, you're gonna go to the veil, You're gonna talk to Jane Aaron. You're gonna get me some money. We need money. And Damon is like, listen, forget this like small time west ros kings landing shit. Let's you know, let's conquer the world. Let's go to Esauce, Let's go to ye t, Let's go to every dawn, do the whole fucking thing. They then go and have a long discussion in High Valerian, discussing the dragons and the prophecies, the destiny of the Targarians, the doom of all Valeria. This conversation really made me feel like, man, does Raniero just speak with a natural High Valerian accent in a way that like other Targarians that we've heard speak Valerian don't, because she rolls those rs so well.
Speaker 2: It's so good, Like I could I want them to do a whole episode with these two in High Valarian because when they get going, you get sucked into that, you know, every time they talk. It just throws me back to the best moments of Graeme of Ferns, Like, you know, obviously the most iconic scene where Denaris pretends she can't speak.
Speaker 3: High Valarian, and that moment when she says chorus like.
Speaker 2: It's that Lord of the Rings thing, it's hearing the Elvish like it sucks you in in a way that reminds you you're watching such a fantastical, mythical show. And I love this conversation. And also I want to say my favorite part of this conversation is Ranera is so concerned with the like humanity of being the leader, right because that's what her father would want. But Damon says, you know, I don't even see us as marauders or pirates or kings. He's like, I see us as gods. And that is the Targarian madness. And I think that is at the heart of the problem, is when they start to see themselves as gods because of the dragons.
Speaker 3: That's always where it goes wrong.
Speaker 1: So Corlis is the next day at the small council. Corlis is very annoyed because Adam is Sir Adam, Yes, but he's Adam of Hull, not Adam Valarion. And Rana says, listen, I can't do it right now. It's like everybody's looking at us, and you know how they you know, these spurious rumors about illegitimacy. We can't certainly be just like legitimizing bastards right now when everybody's talking about my family and my children is potentially being bastards. Corlis flies off the handle, and honestly he's right to do it.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, this is so crazy to me, Like one this is giving. Ranera justs whoever is in her ill lost she listens to because I love the mysteria. I love the wealth distribution. Everyone who listens to this no surprise. I'm a commie bitch, like we get it. But like, the thing that blows my mind is how wrong she is here. It is so the wrong choice because also, guess what, you already legitimized all your own bastard's babe, just commit, like if this is your rule, like you brought the dragon seeds in, Like just fuck, he's already a dragon seat, just says a Hilarian, like you need the fucking numbers, Like and if you look back, I was thinking thinking about.
Speaker 3: This so much after watching this episode again this.
Speaker 2: Morning, Like if you go back and look at the way that Carlis and Renie like stood for Raniera, Like it's just fucking insane that she says no. And I think that one this is gonna come back to bite her, and two it is gonna end up being in my opinion, like I'm blaming this on the period, Like whatever happens after this, this was a bad period decision.
Speaker 3: Babe, shouldn't have made it. It doesn't matter. People know you're fucking each other.
Speaker 2: They know there's bastards just fucking Let Adam and Allen b Valerians let him continue his line.
Speaker 3: It's good for the Targarians come on, this is crazy.
Speaker 1: So he flies off the handle and he's basically says like the most treasonous thing that really you can say, which is basically, you know, like you're your kids are bastards. Like, let's admit it, they're bastards. I lost my wife, I lost my kids, I lost everything, and I along with you ruling despite the fact that your kids are bastards. I didn't say a fucking word, and now all of a sudden you have a problem legitimizing my bastards. You're fucked up? How dare you? Then goes to tell Alison that, by the way, I have your son, I'm sending him to the wall. It's a mercy. He can win honor there, like I'm not gonna kill him. And Alison's like, do you want me to say thank you? And he's like basically yeah, because he's going to the wall, he's gonna live. Allison says like she's barely seen him, she wants to see him, she hasn't seen him at all in the last several years. And they bring Daryn in and Allison is like, who the fuck is this?
Speaker 2: Which again, can I just say I love this moment, because one Alison could have gone along with the ploys, just she's too fucked up in that moment. She wants to see her kid, And I kind of love the rawness and vulnerability that her and Raniera are both sharing here, that they just keep fucking it up because of the emotional kind of stress and weight that is on them. Yeah, incredible moment. I did not see this coming, Jason. Is this book accurate the dare un switch? Uh no, no, he's okay, let's talk more about that.
Speaker 3: It's a new one.
Speaker 1: Huh not at all? No, no, no, Well, the entire surrender of Ormond's army is aig change. Ormond just kind of marches down and they go to war like it's not there is no surrender, and there's there's no feigned Darren, there's none of this. So yeah, this is this is a this is a a significant change. Ormond is like not he's barely like a peripheral character, Like you really don't meet him or get much from him. So like already what we've seen in him is more than almost as much as you get in the books.
Speaker 2: Okay, big question here that you also noted in your recap that I had. Let's talk about the fake out with Darn, Like, how does it work with the dragon?
Speaker 3: Where was the dragon? How did Damon not take the dragon?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 3: What do you think was the situation?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: So Damon sent the the Valarian the Valarian speaking dragon keepers to collect the dragon separately after taking Darren fake Darren in hand, thinking that that's the prince will take him as a hostage. And I guess you can I understand the logic because like, no one else is going to ride that dragon, and so you're not. He wasn't worried about it. Should he have taken the dragon at the same time, Yeah, probably he should have, But instead he sent the dragon keepers to grab a hold of him because they were going to fly back, right, Remember they flew on dragon back. I don't know the three of them. Yeah, and it's a teen dragon, you know, it's not a fully adult dragon. So what happens at the end here is that the dragon keepers have taken the dragon. We're taking the dragon, uh, towards King's Landing, but instead towards and they were stopping off at Tumbleton when the high Towers attacked Tumbleton and all the people of Tumbleton are now hostages of the High Towers, and they've lost the dragon and all only this one dragon keeper that came and brought the news has survived. So in other words, you have a fake Darn.
Speaker 3: The reel Darren has his dragon.
Speaker 1: The real Darren is with the High Towers and has his dragon, and they are all at Tumbleton. So this is like extremely bad news.
Speaker 2: And Vernera's basically like, I'm a fucking burn everyone, and the guys like, please don't do that.
Speaker 3: You'll support that. So that's the question, right.
Speaker 1: Well, yes, that's the other thing is Tumbleton did the leaders of Tumbleton are the foot Leaves, and the foot Leaves are you know, pro queen people. So it would be a bad look, certainly to just like burn the entire town out. But I'm sure if you're Damon, you're thinking, well, everything's got to be on the table right now. Not to mention the fact that like Ormond lied, which is a thing that shouldn't happen in this world. A person of standing, certainly a person of the standing of Ormond High Tower is not supposed to make an oath and then immediately turn his back.
Speaker 2: Yet I would also say as well, let's talk about just before we go to break and kind of really break this down. If we talk about like juice levels, like fucking absolute crazy plays. This is going to go down with Raniera when she was a kid just flying that fucking dragon and stop in the war, right, Like the fact that he just lied to Damon's face, fake fucking pledged while in front of three dragons and gave him like I mean, he basically humiliated Damon if you really think about it, I mean, Damon's not gonna like that.
Speaker 3: But it also makes Ormond look.
Speaker 2: Pretty fucking good to the rest of the high towers who are following because you played him.
Speaker 3: It will be played the rogue print.
Speaker 1: It will be interesting to see if Damon gets any blame from Reneerer for this, because I think you could argue that, like he fucked up, he fucked it. Okay, let's take a quick break and we'll be back to discuss this episode. And we're at Okay, Rosie, you're what are your big thoughts about episode three? The show continues to be really good and get better?
Speaker 2: Your thoughts Okay, so I already like my big picture that I think is incredible about this is like I have never seen any kind of medieval inspired show that as at end interest in looking at like what a day in the life of someone on their period would be, let alone a queen on her period, and from the moment that they break into that and they use the kind of like she's always sweating, she's always fidgeting, like the cramps are killing her, and she's having to process all these life changing decisions. I just think that almost certainly that will not get the shine that it deserves, and I think it's what the show does so well, so I was really happy to see that. I think the biggest question I came away with, aside from like, yeah, how much is Rnera gonna fuck over Damon for this one? Which she deserves, But honestly, I think he's groomed her a little bit too much. She doesn't question him as much as I think she should. I was very worried when she put him in charge of finding her queen's guard. I know he believes her now because of the prophecy, but I didn't love that. I would have trusted Massiria more. But what I also think is really interesting that and the person I probably want to know most about is like what can you tell me about tor and Mandally? I think that is such an incredible introduction to this kind of new potential. You know, obviously he's threatening her by saying, I know what's really going on, but he's also kind of saying, let me be an ally, like I like the game you're playing, and we know the inkings landing. You need those kind of double crossing kind of like allies were also spies. Like is he someone that's gonna be a big part in the coming war?
Speaker 3: Is he what can we expect from him? Because I thought that was a great intro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is a noble from White Harbor in the north, a lord of White Harbor. A very interesting family, the Manderlies. The Manderlies were cast. They were formerly a southern family. There's a river called the Mander in the southern part of the continent, and so they were the founding of that family is on the banks of the Mander. But they were forced out in ancient times for reasons that have kind of like fallen into mystery, and they were hounded all the way all the way all the way up to the north where they appealed to the Starks, and the Starks were like, hey, uh, we'll set you up on the banks of the white Knife River and they become like the guardians of that river and a very important and probably the most wealthy not counting the Starks family in the North interesting and are very strong Stark loyalists because they owe the Starks for you know, bringing it to safety back in the day.
Speaker 3: And he.
Speaker 1: Is, you know, these just kind of like a very worldly and established knight and lord. And he's described in the books as like clever and a little a little chunky, which I think they've done, but like a well good job, but like a well spoken man. And we'll see what he manages to what kind of impact he manages.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, I think you know Venera's lack of money right now of coin with that context, I find that to be a very interesting potential pairing. Also my other big thing, Jason, you know, I've been really big on the Rainer Nettles of it all. We get the set up here that Rania is going to send Damon to the Veil to see Jane and be like, give me some money.
Speaker 3: I need some fucking money. You got those swords? Did you sell them to the brigands? Give me money.
Speaker 2: Oh different, different movie, but you know, like we need the I'm very excited to see where that goes. So I think again, this proves that you will once again right that Damon is going to make it to the Veil and probably realize that it was Rainer before the end of the season. Do you think we get that in episode five, that confrontation. What do you think is how soon do we get to see him.
Speaker 3: Discover sheep steals right a real.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but for me, the thing to watch out for is if you remember, Damon way back in season one, was married to an important lady of the Veil, Raya Royce of the Royce family, and he did murder her after like spurning her for a number of years, like never ever ever meeting with her, and then finally meeting with her and killing her so she could so he could be free to marry Raniera. And I just get the he's not well regarded in the Veil for that reason, and understandable. I wonder how much of an impact that will have on what what happens his his like diplomatic mission to the Veil. How much that that sabotage is it or I.
Speaker 3: Gotta say, like him and Vernera, they are bad plan is they need a hand because like, please, Jason, that context you just gave is.
Speaker 1: Such a good Corliss is a good Corliss is one of the most capable people in the Kingdom. And the fact that Rania has at this moment like alienated him, I think is going to be really destructive for her not to mention. Like Damon is also honestly a solid adviser. You always know what he's going to say, which is, fuck the small folk, let's go to war, let's kill everybody. But sometimes like that's very often, that's very often. That's very often, like pretty accurately what they should do. That said, you know, if you look around at the people she has around her or while is solid, Misaria has no idea what she's doing, Like is is I can't imagine her being good at this job. She has no connections outside of like some small folk in.
Speaker 3: Kingsland has been paid off. Now like this was what she wanted.
Speaker 1: I just I just think that having her be the Mistress of Whispers, It's like, what connections does she have outside of you know, some people in Flea Bottom. She doesn't have any connections in the wider country. She doesn't have any connections in the great houses anywhere. She doesn't even know their handmaidens, their servant, Like can she be like, oh, I heard this from my agents in the veil. She can't do that. So the fact that Rania has elevated her to you know, whatever this is, is I think a mistake. I think it's a huge mistake because I just don't think she's cut out for it.
Speaker 2: You don't think she's got the Jews, she does not have the bron.
Speaker 1: I just think it's a very complex job which she's you know, kind of being tasked to do, and I don't think she I don't think she can do it.
Speaker 3: Period. Look, let's be real.
Speaker 2: As much as you know, i'd love to see women, you know, in a male dominated.
Speaker 3: Workplace, various this one.
Speaker 2: If I would have found out who was flying sheeps died a long time ago, like he would have known instantly, he would have had a little sparrow out there. He would have had that news in a raven to you on the day. So you are right, she is not.
Speaker 3: She does not have enough feelers for what Raniera needs.
Speaker 2: Obviously, Carllis is not going to be that advisor to her Jason. Another question I have about that specific relationship. A scene that I adored. I know it really was a big deal for a lot of viewers. Joelle loved it was Baylor going to find carllss and speaking to Alan and Adam. What do you think this is going to do to the relationship between Baylor and Reniera, because I feel like that was a really important moment for Bayla and kind of that acknowledgment of them being family. But also currently Rinera just using Bayla as essentially, you know, a flying eye and not necessarily like looking at how she is feeling about stuff. Do you think that could drive a wedge between them? Do you think that could see her side more with Carlis or does she have to be with the queen because of loyalty.
Speaker 1: I think it might cause problems, but not current. I don't think it will cause pressing issues right now. And remember that, you know, I mean, Baylor's Damon's daughter, so I know, so that's the thing I think that I think that she has stronger ties to Raniera and to Damon. Then she asked to Corlis and so you know, it's very interesting because in the books, Raniera just kind of like grants the request. Oh wow, Adam is Adam Valarion by the time of the Battle of the Gullet. So ah, this is a way to create a really strong rift between these characters, and it'll be interesting to see what comes out of it.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, I cannot wait to see that. Yeah, now that I know that, that's a shift. I love this show, dude, I love this shift. It's so good.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to continue to cover House in the Dragon all season long. On the next episode of X ray Vision, we're diving into X Men ninety seven, season two, episode four. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 1: X ray Vision is host by Jason steps Young and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 2: Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan, and Bay Wag.
Speaker 1: A theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kauffman.
Speaker 2: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman
Speaker 3: And Heidi Our Discord moderator,