Speaker 1: I am all in you.
Speaker 2: I am all in with Scott Patterson, an iHeartRadio podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, Pop Culture, episode six, Season five, Norman Mailer, I'm pregnant. I am joined by my intrepid crue TaRaSu, Daniel Romo, Amy Sugarman, who has a little bit of time left for us. And then she's heading in.
Speaker 3: I'm going to the dermatologist. I know everyone cares.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 3: I know everyone cares.
Speaker 1: There you go. Anyway, so we're gonna where Lorela is explaining to Luke why she hasn't changed a porch light, the burning question of the season.
Speaker 2: Oh no, did you see mothmatic prophecies?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh well, okay, then did you see the sequel?
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Danielle, you want to play Luke.
Speaker 4: Because you're narrating, right.
Speaker 1: Then you should narrate. Let's start over. You narrate, Okay, I play.
Speaker 4: Look cool, all right.
Speaker 1: So don't stand on my cape. Okay.
Speaker 4: So Lorelai is explaining to Luke why she hasn't changed the porch light.
Speaker 2: Oh no, did you see mothman prophecies?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, well, okay, then did you see the sequel?
Speaker 1: There's a sequel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a heartbreaking sagin which Richard Gear gets a life threatening disease from changing a dirty porch line.
Speaker 4: So The Mothman Prophecies is a two thousand and two thriller starring Richard Gear and Laura Lenny. Richard's character Jack travels to a small town to investigate strange events after his wife sees a winged figure right before a near fatal car accident. So essentially, Lorelai is referencing the film, using it as an excuse of not wanting to change the.
Speaker 3: Don't want to be an idiot. But I don't get it.
Speaker 2: Is there is there a porch light thing in the Mothman Prophecies.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think she's just making a funny and using Mothman. Maybe there is. Maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 3: There's got to be. There's got to be, is it.
Speaker 1: I thought that was halle Berry. Is that halle Berry and Laura Lenny? I don't know. I just remember halle Berry standing in the middle of street and there was a car accident.
Speaker 3: People hate when I google during but it's like something I have to.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you got it. Sometimes you as the you know.
Speaker 2: I'm investigating further, but nothing comes up when I google porch lights and Mothman prophecy.
Speaker 1: Now I think she's just, you know, doing what Laura La does. Doyle sarcastically praising Glenn for getting published in The New York Times.
Speaker 3: Tara, you played.
Speaker 1: Doyle, all right.
Speaker 5: It is amazing. It's absolutely amazing that I spent all summer in Indiana working my ass off for the Munchie Messenger, and you went. You went from Star Trek convention to Bowet fan Club symposium and yet lucky here the New York Times.
Speaker 3: Isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Rory?
Speaker 5: Are you seeing how great it is?
Speaker 1: Boba Fett is a fictional bounty hunter in the Star Wars franchise. Doyle has set someone like Glenn who likes Star Wars, Star Drag and Star Wars would be published before him. That was funny.
Speaker 3: That's happy. May fourth, Yeah, May the fourth be with you, Laurai says.
Speaker 2: The Dragonfly In is going to be a salon for the literati now that Norman Mailer has had lunch there three times this week.
Speaker 4: So of course we'll have to keep Gorvadal on the other side of the room. But you know, probably Gabriel Garcia Marquez will run interference for us.
Speaker 2: Gorvadell is an author who wrote twenty five novels, two hundred essays, more than two hundred essays, and ventured into politics. Gabrielle Garcia Marquez is a Columbian author who is best known for writing One Hundred Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera, and five other novels. Lorelai is referencing the feud and falling out of Gorvadell and Norman Mailer argued on The Dick Cavit Show where Vidal went after Mailer for his dance on women's liberation and on the women's liberation movement, and the feud continued. Martin Scorsese even made an HBO documentary about it.
Speaker 1: There's a twenty four minute video of it on YouTube. You should. Everybody should watch it. It is amazing. It really shows the times they were living in. Yeah, the similarities of time we're living in now as opposed to them, but of course yes, much different back then.
Speaker 2: Twenty fourteen documentary was called The New York Review of Books The Fifty Year Argument, And as Scott said, you can watch the fight from the Dick Cavit Show.
Speaker 1: Classic classic All right, Suki complaining that Norman Mailer only orders iced tea.
Speaker 2: All I know is when Billy Joel came into the Independence and he would pack it away appetizer's main courses, two, three desserts.
Speaker 3: That was a man that knew how to eat, and he was almost able.
Speaker 2: To hide it.
Speaker 1: Billy Joel is a singer songwriter who sold over one hundred and feet million records. Suki is referencing Billy Joel ordering more than Norman Mailer does.
Speaker 3: Favorite Billy Joel song, Go.
Speaker 1: Piano Man, I love.
Speaker 3: It's still rock and roll.
Speaker 2: It's still rock and roll to me? What about weed didn't start the fire? If anybody can sing all the lyrics, remember it's like.
Speaker 5: Uptown girl, Uptown girl, good morning, uptown girl.
Speaker 1: Oh girl. Yeah, she's got me so many clean when she left me and I gave her my Hampton's home, we've had five So get.
Speaker 3: Her Billy Joel so fast.
Speaker 2: Because there's also scenes from an Italian restaurant, there's like these are the times to remember. He's got like like like deep cuts that are hits.
Speaker 4: So basically she's sang. Billy Joel's way more famous than normal Mailer and he can even order food. Is that kind of the just I.
Speaker 2: Just think she was pulling out a random famous person that comes to the inn and actually ate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, there was a chance to mock Billy Joel.
Speaker 2: So it was a little He has a little bit of a sort of a dig on Billy Joel, which wasn't nice.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, anyway, did Billy Joel write a novel? No, because they got one in about his book, but.
Speaker 3: He did write we didn't start the fire.
Speaker 4: All right, I'll go to the next one. So Rory's talking to Dean about her assignments at the Yale Daily News.
Speaker 2: I already have a ton of data and pages of research, and oh, the best thing is Nancy, the girl on the first fourth I already have a ton of data and pages of research, and O the best thing is Nancy, this girl on the fourth floor. Her father was the guy who ran security at the gallery where Lars Ulrich sold all of his art, and he said he would try to get him on the phone for an interview.
Speaker 3: I gotta breathe now.
Speaker 4: Lars Uric is the drummer for the rock band Metallica. Rory's referencing him because she is hoping to get him for her features column at the Yale Daily News and is getting excited about it.
Speaker 2: With that horribly boring article that I'm so glad she didn't.
Speaker 3: Right, I know, so bad?
Speaker 1: All right, who's up?
Speaker 3: I'll go.
Speaker 5: Dean's selling Rory he can't hang out with her on Thursday night because he's working at Dozi's during a twenty four hour trucker crowd.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you haven't lived until you've heard Taylor Beltel stand By Your.
Speaker 5: Man, Sam By Your Man is a country song by Tammy Wynette. It became the most successful country song of Tammy's career. And Dean is referencing this hit country song that the trucker crowd would be singing, so Taylor would be singing along as well.
Speaker 1: Suki is upset that, and the financial planner is temporarily cutting out lunch at the end.
Speaker 3: This is this old Norman Maylor. Oh no, sorry, Danielle, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, you guys go ahead.
Speaker 2: This is all Norman Mayler's fault. He just sits around ording nothing and yammering on and on. And I mean so he was married to Marilyn Roe, who wasn't That was Arthur Miller.
Speaker 1: Marily Monroe and Arthur Miller were married for five beautiful, loving years and they never had a disagreement. Suki is upset and referencing the wrong author. She is getting Norman Mailer confused with Arthur Miller. But Norman Mayler wrote a biography on Marilyn Roe in ninety seventy three called Marylyn, and Stephen Mahler his son just told us his dad gravitated towards Marylyn's story and loved her films. That's did every every everybody in the freaking world. So this may be a reference for Norman's love of Marilyn apparently. And I think Stephen told me that his dad never met Maryland, but that he was sitting behind her once at an awards thing and he almost tapped her on the shoulder, but then at that very moment, she got up and went to the lady's front, so he never got to meet her or talk to her.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 4: The next one, Lorlai walks into Chris's apartment and it's a mess because he is home alone with gig.
Speaker 5: How long ago did Axel Rose leave?
Speaker 4: Axel Rose is the guitarist for the band Guns N' Roses and Laurlai is referencing a rock star leaving a room in a mess, but it's just Christopher at home with Gigi, And you.
Speaker 2: Know it's a good line when it makes us laugh in this.
Speaker 1: But the thing is is I've been to Axel Rose's house and it was extremely tidy. Character is true?
Speaker 3: Is that true?
Speaker 1: That is true? And Bok took me to Axel Rose's house for a party.
Speaker 3: Wait, that's working epic. But was it tidy?
Speaker 1: It was extremely tidy?
Speaker 3: But did you go in every room?
Speaker 1: I did not go in every day everything. I went into several rooms because I got a tour of the house, but I don't think I got in everyone.
Speaker 3: Was there any other famous people there? Or is it just the three of you hanging.
Speaker 1: Out several Yeah?
Speaker 4: Wow, that's really cool.
Speaker 3: Sebastian boxings like a good time.
Speaker 1: I could we could do a whole podcast with just him and talking about our night at the Rainbow Barn Grill on Sunset Boulevard and at the Roxy. I mean one night, I wouldn't be that that was an epic evening.
Speaker 4: You're a night at the Roxbury there?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that is so good.
Speaker 1: Okay, he didn't need to be Actually, we had so much fun without Will Ferrell. If you can even imagine.
Speaker 2: That, loral I turned Ggi's crib around so the bars are higher on one side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, until her hair grows long enough for the Prince to shim me up.
Speaker 2: Also very funny which I did not catch during the episode, but obviously that's a reference to Rapunzel. The Rapunzel fairy tale was about a girl locked away in a tower and she's rescued by prince who climbed up her hair. Laura Lai is comparing gg to Rapunzel because Gigi keeps climbing up the crip. Very funny, very funny, and.
Speaker 5: I don't get that episode.
Speaker 3: You miss that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Christopher saying to Lurla he can't raise gg on his own and calling Lorelai different.
Speaker 1: Oh you're different. I mean you're special, you're stronger, You're like a superhero with red boots, and.
Speaker 4: Christopher is referencing I believe it, I like it. I like it. Christopher is referencing Wonder Woman, who's super superhero outfit is red boots, booskirt and of course at top with magical golden lasso. And Christopher is calling Laura super a superhero for raising Rory on her own.
Speaker 2: No disrespect to Galt Good, but there is no wonder Woman to me other than Linda Carter.
Speaker 3: I mean literally, I love her.
Speaker 1: How are you going to do better than that?
Speaker 3: I mean, wonder woman.
Speaker 2: Is I would say, of my women superheroes, she is my favorite. Also, like what was that one that Scarlett Johansen was, I'm not under her?
Speaker 4: Oh black Widow.
Speaker 2: No wonder Woman. Loura Lei and Rory arriving to Emily's house and the maid answers.
Speaker 5: Hi, we should be on the guest list. Hulston Liza expecting Us.
Speaker 2: Alston is a designer who was friends with Liza Minelli. They were inseparable during the seventies and eighties and often seen together in the nightclub scene in New York City, especially at Studio fifty four. Interesting thing to tie it all together. In a Billy Joel song, he references in her Halston dress. Oh interesting, I don't remember which Billy Jewel song, but he says, you know, all impressed in her Hallston dress, something like that, Laura is looking fun at trying to enter Emily's house like she would be at a.
Speaker 1: Club, and that ladies in general.
Speaker 3: Late do you have Crackstaff?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, talk amongst yourself while I dig it up. They send it to me in secret emails.
Speaker 3: First of all, in The Skull and Keys.
Speaker 1: Bones whatever, this thing unlocked?
Speaker 2: Hang on, was Reese Witherspoon in that movie The Skull Or did I make that up?
Speaker 1: Yeah? She was? She was great?
Speaker 3: Was she'm looking at?
Speaker 1: She was? Performs? All right here listen, Crackstaff has on earth some very very interesting tidbits. Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I do not think Reese Witherspoon was in that movie.
Speaker 1: Just I don't think so. The man interviewing it was Leslie Bib. Sorry, all right, so the first Leslie Bib Leslie Bib is good. Yeah, yeah right, so the first crack Staff one. I'm sorry, it's not impressive research. We all know this. The man interviewing Norm Bailer is actually his son, Stephen Mayler.
Speaker 6: Mind is blowing away. I can't even feel my face. It's well known that Amy loves to use actors in multiple roles. And we're not talking about our Amy. We're talking about Gilmore Amy. But Amy Amy Sugarman is kind of the same way. She uses us in multiple.
Speaker 1: Rebecca Rebecca Mets, and we have homework assignment stuff. Rebecca Mets, who played and the business Consultant, also played the breastfeeding mom in the diner back and.
Speaker 3: I knew that.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry everybody that I forgot Kyle, but I actually knew I recognized her from the show.
Speaker 1: In the scene where Luke is fixing Laureles oven, Laurele I is on the phone with Rory. Rory says you sound happy, referring to a relationship with Luke, and laurel I replies, I am kid. This is a callback to season one, episode eleven, when they share the same exchange about Max.
Speaker 5: Interesting season one you said.
Speaker 7: Season one episode eleven, Yeah, good one. Huh that makes up for the obvious first one.
Speaker 1: Doyle tells Paris that Rabbi Barons had to change his number twice because of her harassment. It is just a coincidence, is it? Is it just a coincidence that Rabbi Barns is also the name of the rabbi and stars hollow. Why would that be? Well that the same guy, Yeah, the same guy, right.
Speaker 3: Right, that's what we're referencing. Crack Staff might be off their game this week.
Speaker 1: I don't know. What do you think I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm about to. I'm about to tell you if they're off their game.
Speaker 1: I mean it might be that week in Aruba that you know they do they.
Speaker 4: Have anything else? What did they have anything else on that list?
Speaker 1: We are? That's it for Crackstaff.
Speaker 3: Danielle's got something tisk oh.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, you got to crackstaff.
Speaker 4: At twenty seconds there's a clown pillow and that was spotted by your Australia.
Speaker 3: Hello clown pillow.
Speaker 1: Hello, listen. It's it's my fault. I overwork Crackstaff. Crackstaff. It's it's they're just going at it so much and they have a lot of other jobs. You don't realize this. They do my wardrobe too, they do. They do a lot of my wardrobe, which is like do.
Speaker 3: They know where John Barbados suit is?
Speaker 1: Like the best staff.
Speaker 3: Crack Staff located with builta.
Speaker 1: I think there's some very good stuff in here. There's good stuff. Now, it's the meat is good. That the bread a little weak, but the meat is good. I like the meat.
Speaker 3: Thank you, stale bread, but the meat.
Speaker 1: Shout out to crack staff, thank you.
Speaker 3: Next week.
Speaker 1: We're gonna next week Yeah, we're gonna do a new episode. We're gonna do I Jump You Jump by Jack or I Jump Jack, I Jump you jump Jack jumping, I Jump you Jump.
Speaker 2: It's a Titanic reference, everybody, it's the Dermatologist.
Speaker 1: All right, good luck everybody anyway, best fans on the planet. Love you guys, Thank you for downloading, and always remember I am all In.
Speaker 8: Stay safe, hey everybody, and don't forget Follow us on Instagram at I Am all In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.
Speaker 1: Oh you're Gilmore friends.
Speaker 8: If you're looking for the best cup of coffee in the world, go to my website from my company Scottip dot com s C O T T y P dot com scottip dot com Grade one Specialty Coffee