Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amrie Hordernt. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business App. The investors pricing at a quarter point cord from the FMC at two pm Eastern Time. Blake Gwinno RBC Capital Markets. Right in the following, the Economic Bankdroop continues to provide the FMC with a window for delivering interest rate cards. They're going to take it. Blake joins us now for more Blake and morning, Good to see you.
Speaker 1: Good to see you.
Speaker 2: The last time the Fed made a decision, you made a very important point that the outlook hadn't changed so much, but the risks around the outlook have What are the risks around the outlook now and have they developed since the Fed last.
Speaker 1: May exactly the same as they were in September.
Speaker 3: I mean, part of that is obviously because we're not getting the official sector data. But even if you look at what we have, we have received so the CPI that they decided to release the private sector data, and I would say also the Beige book that they had, you know, the Beage Book really kind of characterized things as largely in the same place as they were in September. So I don't think the Fed's really gotten any information that's really going to change our outlook. I would expect Pale, you know, any comments that he's going to make on the macro economic outlook you know this afternoon are probably going to be largely what he made in September.
Speaker 4: So it cuts twenty five. Can a guide to December?
Speaker 3: I don't think he does, And I think, if anything, I think the markets are going to be much more focused around some of the meta conversation about what are they looking at. I mean, if this continues for another two months, if this continues in the December meeting, I think what I'm most interested in are any questions around what data are you putting most.
Speaker 1: Important on one of the metrics?
Speaker 3: Yeah, We know their reaction function to some degree around the official sector data, and we know how they're thinking about, you know, an unemployment rate or about PE levels, but we don't really know how they're using the data that they do have right now, And I think it'd be interesting to hear how they're kind of thinking about things, what metrics they're looking at, and what's going to make that decision around December.
Speaker 1: Well, wasn't that a risk in itself?
Speaker 5: The fact that they don't have data and we have this data desert. How much can they lean on September going forward if you're a data dependent.
Speaker 1: FED Well, it does make things interesting.
Speaker 3: And I'm a little bit torn about what the base case into December is if we don't get data, because on the one hand, you kind of have this do no harm type of idea where I could see the hawks on the committee saying, hey, look, we cut the last two meetings. We did get inflation data, which shows the services side of things a little more pressure than we'd like to see. Maybe we should just play it safe and not do anything. But you can also make the case on the other side, which is that those labor market risks are still apparent ADP is still showing this low hiring, slow firing mode. So I'm not even really sure what the base case is into December if we have no new government data coming out.
Speaker 4: Is it possible the descent could come both ways? And this may thing?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? I think that was true last meeting as well. I was actually curious to see if we got two descents at the last meeting, because I think you have some members, like you know, Hammick Schmid who have come out and now, you know, not everybody can descent, so we're just talking about the voting members. Schmid could certainly descent, and we have heard those members kind of take a harder stance on the inflation side and said, you know, unlike Waller and I would say, now pale at this point, not so quick to kind of dismiss some of the.
Speaker 1: Inflation pressure we're seeing. They're not ready to write.
Speaker 3: It off as only a tear iff problem, you know, something that's going to dissipate as that one time price shot kind of moves through the system.
Speaker 2: I believe that Hammock can descent next year, and the mix next year maybe gets a little bit more interesting. So let's talk about that. We're going to get a change of leadership in May. How easy is it just to lead the committee and say, you know what we're going to get in this direction given the mix we might say in twenty six.
Speaker 1: It really depends on the personnel.
Speaker 3: And I think this is you know, one conversation I've had a lot with clients who have kind of said, well, we're going to get a very dubvish FED share from Trump and they're going to come in and you know, we're going to slash rates one hundred basis points to do when they want FED shair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's just not how things work. And I think.
Speaker 3: We're you know, we're kind of a product of this last forty years where we've had very strong FED shairs who I think have a very good give and take with the rest of the committee. They're respected by the committee, They're taking information from the Committee incorporating that into their own views, and so, yeah, the chair has spoken for the direction of policy. If we get somebody who is very outside of that consensus, who's to say the chair isn't a descent at every meeting. I mean, it could be very interesting. But what if we have mirror and the new chair dissenting at every meeting.
Speaker 2: For the record, I saw this in the UK more than ten years ago. I remember when Governor King wont another round of q E and kept dissenting and voting for it. So we've seen that happen in the UK. You suggested we might see a UK type scenario.
Speaker 1: It's just not what we're used to.
Speaker 4: We used to the green spans of this world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think if we're thinking about how dubbish the FED is next year, it's not just about how dubvish the new chair is, it's also about how effective they're going to be a delivering on that dubbishness.
Speaker 5: Well, who's the most dubbish center of this lift? Would you say that's Kevin Hassett?
Speaker 3: I would say you'd look at somebody who is closer to the administration, so HEYESI or a worsh you know, but.
Speaker 1: Somebody he's a hawk. He was, Let's be very clear, he was not anymore.
Speaker 3: So I think you'd look at somebody who was much closer to the administration is probably arguing for the most cuts, but also in the same you know, in the same respect, also maybe not being able to sway the rest of the committee, but.
Speaker 5: It'll be transparent. If it is someone like Kevin Hassett, it'll be transparent. It's not like author Burns and Nixon, where the market didn't really understand how close that relationship is. It'll be very transparent to the market that, Okay, this policy could be heavily influenced by Trump himself.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it will be clear that that person could be heavily influenced. But then that comes That's where the question of how much control over the rest of the committee they have comes in, because that's where I think somebody like a Waller who may not be as close to the administration, who may kind of go off on their own, and you know, he's leaving leaning dubbish now, but maybe that framework changes. He's going to be much more effective and I think you know has that respect, he has a very understandable framework for where that dubbishness is coming from, and so may actually deliver more cuts than somebody who you would expect to be a more dubbish member.
Speaker 4: Stay with us. More Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 2: Start setting fresh records ahead of a Max seven earnings test. Gagi Chantry of Black Rock writing. Investors are looking for proof that cloud growth is reaccelerating and the massive AI campex is converting into real paying workloads. Gargee Joints US now for more. Garkiy Cadmonic, Hi, good morning, it's.
Speaker 4: Going to see you.
Speaker 2: So out of the three, then this week FED decision Trade talks earnings.
Speaker 4: Does earnings take number one spot?
Speaker 6: Well, the volatility Markets team to think soon if you look at what's priced in in terms of moves per day, it certainly seems like the earnings are what's going to be a bigger driver. But certainly with the FLED, I think we should pay particular attention to what happens with the balance sheet. I do think that the twenty five basis point rate cut is very well advertised and very well priced, but it's really about if they do do something with the balance sheet runoff and if that gets announced today. Obviously we heard from chair Powell earlier in the month which was about in the coming months, but the market is expecting for some sound, some sort of announcement today, so that would be important. And then of course for the rest of the week it's earnings. And then finally the New York Marathon, the New York Marathon.
Speaker 4: For you do you want do you want to share it? Up front? How many marathons? If you wrote run many in the numbers, many in the twenties. Now we're in the twenties, okay. And what charity are supporting.
Speaker 6: It's called Shoe for Africa. It's a charity for children in Kenya and it's building a hospital.
Speaker 4: Very cool. So if anyone wants to donate, of course, reach.
Speaker 5: Out modest it's twenty six that is insane.
Speaker 2: Twenty six is absolutely unreal. We're going to talk about that later. Let's focus on this if we can QT. What are the implications of backing off from QT?
Speaker 6: Absolutely so a couple of things. First, recognizing if that does happen, where does the where do the reinvestments go?
Speaker 7: I think that's the main thing.
Speaker 6: Does it get reinvestment reinvested back into bills only? Or is it along all tenors off the curve? And obviously if it is a long all tennors of the curve, that's more demand coming in for treasuring markets. And I do think if we look at what the long end, the very long end thirty years or so have done over the past month I think there is a little bit of expectation of that coming back into the market. So if we don't get anything at all, maybe at least in the very long end of the curve, we could get a little bit more of that steepening that we began to see earlier this year and then it sort of stopped for the moment. But at the same time, you know, we've talked about this for a while, this is a really good opportunity in the markets to clip coupon, especially if you're in that belly, maybe that three to ten year part of the market that still remains. We're still in a path for the FED to cut now and again in December, so very clearly that's going to be another boost to equity as well as income markets.
Speaker 5: The FED cutting in December. Are they basically accepting that three percent is the new two percent?
Speaker 6: I don't know that it's three percent per se. If you think about especially with this last CPI print, what we saw was that very sharp and clear deceleration in oeer and where we saw the inflation was in much more of the temporary area such as teriff related goods, a parallel, et cetera. If we continue to see that deceleration in OER in shelter. More broadly, I think you can reach a world by the end of twenty twenty six when you're seeing sort of that two and a half percent core CPI, and I think that is something that the FED will accept and be able to at least the FED, you know, the future FED probably will be able to live with in a world where some of the inflation that is coming through its probably more transitory in nature. I think it's all about shelter, and it's all about OAR, and we've seen some very good numbers on that front.
Speaker 5: Just have the trade talks happening, the possible lowering rate of the US tariff level on China.
Speaker 1: Is that helpful for the Federal Reserve?
Speaker 6: I think it has to be. Again when we talk about what is the transitory, temporary drivers of inflation, some of those, as we have seen in the core goods data over the last three months, are very much related to those tariff inputs. So to the extent we now can live in a world where that tariff rate is severely higher than last year, but not as high as we had expected. It's not in the twenties, maybe in the mid teens, and it's passing through slowly. I think that's another important point. How much is the consumer bearing and so far we've only we haven't seen as much as perhaps feared in Q one and Q two. All of those I think that that rate coming lower, maybe settling in the mid teens, as well as the transmission mechanism being lower than originally feared, are good for a FED that wants to keep interest rates more moderate.
Speaker 2: So that's the framework for thinking about this market. Let's talk about this market how to express risks. So yesterday was an odd session, three hundred and ninety eight decliners on the S and P five hundred, only one hundred and four stocks advance.
Speaker 4: This was very top heavy, led by tech.
Speaker 2: Don't ask me why it doesn't add up to five hundred on the S and P five hundred, Complain to someone else. This came from Deutsche banker Jim Reid, and he put up these numbers and said they're only one hundred and four advances on the S and P, the fewest in over two weeks and actually the fewest on an update as far back as my data on advances and decliners goes, thanks to nineteen ninety what's the takeaway from the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 6: I think the takeaway maybe not just for the last twenty four hours, I would say the last year is that earnings growth is driving as in p performance, and you want to be where the earnings growth is and where is that earnings growth. It is in those hyperscalar names. It is in AI and frankly it is broadening out a little bit too broad, large gap, and I think that's where you want to be. You know, could we get a few negative surprises of the course of the next three days and could that maybe bring a little bit of volatility, some down days in the market. Absolutely, But is there a structural story here, especially around AI monetization. We think so. We've been talking about this from the start of the year with respect to our positive view around AI, and we think as long as we see that demand as well as their monetization, as well as the user actually being able to benefit from AI, we might see that in ad revenues and such. I think this continues. I think it might broaden out to more of the larger cap names instead of just the four or five hyperscalers. I think that's something we're looking forward to and telling investors to focus on. But the point about yesterday and a very small percentage of the index being up is not a new story. It is a feature of this market, not a bug. That is where the earnings growth is.
Speaker 2: So let's look at the black recommend you you're familiar with it more than I am. Is this just a vanilla sm P five hundred market camp whited index story? Express risk that way or is it more optimal waite to express risk in the secuity market.
Speaker 6: It can be depending on who the investor is. And again some people just want you know, you're stepping into the market for the first time and you want something easy and IVV will do the job for you. What we are telling investors though, this is the time to focus on things like BAI, which is our actively managed AI ETF, which again gives you some of those very specific earning story in the AI space. We think you should have that satellite allocation. The other thing that we're talking about is if you're thinking about the broadening out theme with respect to large caps. Again, that is something you can do again with a black Rock large gap value or a black Rock large gap It's called blc R fund, which is sort of the rest of the market with a focus as well on a.
Speaker 7: Large cap deck.
Speaker 6: And then I'd think for many investors out there right now, especially you're getting that six six and a half seven percent income, you no longer have to wait Toll You're eighty five years old for fixed income. I own fixed income. I hope you guys do again focusing on something like bink earning that six percent coupon, it's a really great opportunity, especially with the Fed boys, to cut more.
Speaker 4: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this. So here's the latest this morning in video, extending gains after President Trump said he will discuss the chip makers Blackwell Ai processes with the Chinese leader pre Fedogho of News Street Research, keeping a buy rating on the stock with a price target of two thirty five. Pierre, that quote from the president overnight and welcome to the program. Let me read it out for you. It's very basic, very simple. It's worth a few hundred billion, apparently to this market camp. We'll be speaking about Blackwell's Pierre. How important is that that we're opening the door to Infinia being app to sell the high end ships into China?
Speaker 8: Well, John's thinking about it in absolute terms, Nvidia historically hard like twenty twenty five percent of their revenues coming from China, so we are talking like a fifty.
Speaker 9: Billion dollar annual revenue opportunity.
Speaker 8: So yes, as you said, easily worth a few hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 9: Now, if you take a step back, the almost.
Speaker 8: Like like the surprising perspective is that given the scale of the success of Nvidia, it's actually a relatively small moving part when you compare that to what Jansen said yesterday in Washington. He said he was expecting like a half a trillion dollars of cumulated revenue for the black Well and Ravine product cycles this year and next year. We are talking here numbers that are like fifty percent above what consensus expectations are today. So it's a very very nice comments from the President on the on the diverse super chips is actually a small moving part this morning compared to what Insten said yesterday yesterday, and then said the market is still accelerating, which is very very impressive.
Speaker 5: He also said that China has made it clear they don't want Nvidia there right now, even though the President has allowed some licensing for some chips. If China can get their hands on blackwell, well they then want video in their marketplace.
Speaker 9: Yes, of course, what you're say in the market is that.
Speaker 8: And you know, we could talk about China this morning, we talk about Microsoft, Opena, about Amazon.
Speaker 9: Nobody wants in VideA.
Speaker 8: Everybody is worried about like the market power they have, but nobody can afford not to use that VideA if they can, because today being able to use in video chips gives you an this is youve advantage in terms of time to markeage. You can get going immediately as the highest visible performance. But everybody in the long term is working on you know, as donatives to in Vidia to keep in Vida's market bower in check. And so you see opening I signing giant deals with AMD. You see everybody doing being their own eysics and China is no different are donatives. But if to more they can get a few blackwords, it would take them immediately.
Speaker 2: And Video is clearly looking for an opportunity here pre and an opportunity that the President is offering them. But I just wondered to what extent China has been successful without access to the highest chips the high end chips. Pierre, it feels like deep Sink was a moment that happened. We wrestled with it and just moved on. But from the people we speak to, Pierre, it looks like China has been hyper focused on efficiency and the US is going in a different direction. But if you look at the strategies of either the US and China at the moment, who's got the lead, even before discussing access to the highest end in video chips, who's got the lead at the moment?
Speaker 8: Well, the lead, it's a great question. The lead is definitely at the frontier. It's being first to market with the most advanced models. And on that front, there is absolutely no question the US is in a very strong leadership position. Then now if you look at so that's like the technological leads. So the technological lead is very clearly in the US. Now you have the industrial lead, you have like the efficiency lead. Players like Diepsick are very are y are very good at making models more efficient, at distilling models, and so they player a very significant role.
Speaker 9: But when it comes to getting.
Speaker 8: Access to the largest clusters and running the most advanced models, all that is happening in the us for sure.
Speaker 2: So clearly we're getting a move in the pre market off the back of the story Stuck is up quite close to four percent. P I need to talk about the ANX with you as well. So tech stories of today is going to be Microsoft Meta and Alphabet tomorrow, Apple and Amazon pre looking across those names, any vulnerabilities for you in the same.
Speaker 8: So well, I think the street is still digesting what Jansen said yesterday in terms of like the twenty twenty six outlook in terms of AI infrasta you're spending. So really what we're going to look at is all comments from a perscadoes do we see like a consummation of ensense forecast in the ways they talk about their capex and their spending spending plans, and then in terms of vulnerable it is now very difficult to see that we were definitely like in the bulwick where everything seems to be like accelerating, and even when you look at Apple, who is not the best best position player in the AI race, they have a lot of tailwind at the moment the iPhone cycle is actually playing relatively well for them, which has generated some very positive vibes and should turn into a stronger inings report.
Speaker 2: If I remember waiting for amples across that one, suly intil a lane in the sand. Can we just reflect on your career per five trillion dollar market caps, Pierre, how do you sort of internalize that number?
Speaker 4: Just how big that is?
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's like if you had asked me at the time, it's it's it's like unbelievable.
Speaker 9: And and the thing is that.
Speaker 8: It's part of a border of course, of a border border phenomenon, and like the number of multitude dollar market gaps that we have now in technology, it's it's mind blowing of growth and of like also concentration of economic value in tech names.
Speaker 9: It's like really mind blowing.
Speaker 8: And specifically on Apple, Apple like it's a very low growth, very like legacy type of franchise. Now in the AI world, it's difficult for them to find the right grip on AI, but it remains a very very high multiple expensive stock because the market is still valuing the quality of the franchise. So so I didn't think one on.
Speaker 9: Top of the other.
Speaker 8: Yes, you like, I almost five durin the lod of market just amazing.
Speaker 4: Stay with us.
Speaker 2: More Bloomberg Surveillance coming up. After this, President Trump planning to lower tariffs on China over the fentinal crisis, as China buys its first US soybeans in months ahead of tomorrow's face to face meeting with President she let's stick with the US and China. Mary Lovely of the Peterson Institute, writing, systemic issues will not be addressed in this round. We're unlikely to see much progress. Mary joins us now for more. Mary, welcome to the program. Just first question, what do you regard as a systemic issue with regards to the US and China.
Speaker 10: Well, we see some of these systemic issues in trump One treatment of US intellectual property, but there's a whole host of issues having to do with what the US perceives as ex bands or barriers that prevent US exports into the country and contribute to the lopsided trade balance between the two. We have questions from businesses that American businesses operating in China in terms of export bands and other things that prevent them from having their own personnel in place.
Speaker 7: There's a whole variety.
Speaker 10: Of issues that have contributed this tension, including older issues which you will remember from the first trade War, John, things like industrial subsidies China support for firms through their state banking system, other things that make Chinese exports uber competitive in the West.
Speaker 1: Mary the President.
Speaker 5: Tyling reporters that they're going to be speaking about Blackwell, this is one of the most advanced AI chips the United States has access to. Is the president if he allows Beijing to buy these chips? Is the President rewarding bad behavior?
Speaker 7: Well, I guess it depends on how you look at it.
Speaker 10: I think there is a bigger issue, which is how do we protect US national security? And as you know, there is some contention within the Trump administration as to how best that can be done. There of course continue to be so called China hawks who want the US to do everything it can to prevent the most advanced technologies from falling into Chinese hands. There are others who believe that, and this has been said by the President that one of the things we might want we want to do is to get the Chinese addicted to US chips, US tech. So I think that we're seeing some difference in opinion. We always knew it was going to come down to President Trump's decision. President Trump is a deal maker. He would like to see an increase in US commerce US sales to China, and of course these ships are a primary way that.
Speaker 7: Can be done.
Speaker 5: How much influence do you think someone like Jensen Wong has had on the president.
Speaker 10: I think the tech community in general has had an outsize influence on the president, not only lead through this, but in terms of his behavior toward crypto and crypto regulation and other issues. For example, and these trade deals that he's signing with other countries. We're seeing a promise by other countries that they won't levy digital service taxes and other kinds of taxes that might impede US tech rollout to other countries. So in general, I think he's been a very tech friendly president.
Speaker 5: We have the contours of some sort of agreement that they're going to reach tomorrow.
Speaker 1: What comes next.
Speaker 5: Where does this leave the relationship for twenty twenty six.
Speaker 7: Well, it reduces the tensions and potentially restores some market access to China.
Speaker 10: For example, by rolling back those ventanyl taxes by ten percentage points, China will get down closer to forty five percent or even forty percent average teriffrey, which means that the pressure on Chinese companies to go out build their factories and other countries will be lessened, So we're going to see a significant decrease in tensions. Then I think there's a hope on the US side that we can turn to issues which have prevented US exporters from gaining more of the Chinese market. So I think probably or surely, Secretary Investent Trade Representative Greer have a whole host of issues that they want to discuss with the Chinese, including, as I mentioned before, industrial subsidies, subsidies that come through the Chinese state banking system included.
Speaker 5: Do you think China is willing and ready to make those changes.
Speaker 10: I think China is willing to make some changes, not all that the US wants. China right now is of course struggling a little bit to revive its local demand. It does not want to be as dependent on exports. Net exports from China group by thirty six percent in the year to date. That means that a lot of Chinese growth is dependent on the rest of the world, except they're exports, and for many countries that means accepting that they'll be permanently in.
Speaker 7: A trade deficit position.
Speaker 10: So China knows that this reliance on net exports is really not sustainable, and they're looking for alternatives to that.
Speaker 7: So I think some of these changes are.
Speaker 10: Within the realm of things that Chinese authorities want to do. But when it comes to putting their development first, relying on growth in their tech industry, the diffusion of AI throughout their manufacturing, and continued emphasis on industrial development, those are not going to.
Speaker 2: Change very You know about these issues far out of Deny, But this is a conversation that you and I could have had ten years ago. And back then we were talking about Chinese other capacity and people said the same thing, that it wasn't sustainable.
Speaker 4: They needed to change.
Speaker 2: They understand that, and here we are ten years later and they're on course to run a record surplus this year even without stential trade with the United States. Mary, in your mind, at the moment in the history that you've following this, what makes this unsustainable? What would stop them from doing what they've been doing for such a long.
Speaker 7: Time, Well, they are really struggling.
Speaker 10: Obviously, they need to buy more of the things they make domestically.
Speaker 7: Yet Chinese domestic.
Speaker 10: Demand has really been moribund. People don't have a good outlook for the future. Firms investment outside of the tech sector has been lackluster as well, so they really need to revive their own economy if they're going to, you know, continue to have moderate growth so about five percent, and not sell all those products to the rest of the world. I think not only the US trade barriers, but protection that's being imposed by other countries, including in more friendly areas like the Southeast Asia, who are beginning to see a flood of Chinese imports that are hurting their own domestic producers. I think this response does have the attention of the Chinese authorities. Question is just now, how can they revive domestic demand. Just back from Shanghai, John and I think that this was a major topic of discussion. They're talking about new things. Obviously, investment in the real estate sector is out. They have a lot of infrastructure. They don't need more bridges and roads. They're talking about things like social infrastructure, helping local governments to build things that will help people's lives, including restoring old buildings that need refurbishing, things that will help with children and the elderly, the healthcare sector.
Speaker 7: These are areas where they're starting to look and.
Speaker 10: We hope we will see some action by the Chinese authorities to do some kind of fiscal stimulus in this area.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloombergs Events podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, an gio politics. You can watch the show life on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else, and as always, on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app. Mm hmm