Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Surveillance Podcast. I'm Jonathan Ferrow, along with Lisa Bromwitz and Amerie Hordern. Join us each day for insight from the best in markets, economics, and geopolitics from our global headquarters in New York City. We are live on Bloomberg Television weekday mornings from six to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal and the Bloomberg Business app.
Speaker 3: Stoxslawer Is Investors wait a crucial week of data, Alistair Pinder and the team at HSBC setting their twenty twenty six S and P five hundred target at seventy five hundred.
Speaker 4: Writing.
Speaker 3: AI has carried equity markets throughout twenty twenty five. We believe it will drive both equities and credit in twenty twenty six, though in different ways. Alistair joins us now after a refreshing Thanksgiving brae that all of us cannot relate to. But I am curious from your perspective going forward, how come you think the AI is going to resurrect that kind of lead higher given some of the concerns that we've seen recently.
Speaker 1: Well, I think if you look at the performance of the market this year, it's been driven by the AI infrastructure and you know the AI enablers story, you know, going into next year, I think the big narrative for markets is how companies are going to adopt AI and that's going to drive earnings, and so there's loads of data showing this. You know. Some of the ones that we like to look is the ramp AI index shows forty five percent of companies are adopting AI. One of the things that we've been doing a lot on is well, what is the actual tangible cost savings from this, and so far we think that there can be basically one percent of cost cuts going into next year.
Speaker 5: That's one hundred and thirty million dollars.
Speaker 1: We think that can basically be saved going into twenty twenty six. And there's this amazing narrative going on right now in the market where revenue is increasing, you've got nine percent growth. Actually at the same time, companies are cutting back on labor and so if you look at the warm data from the S and P five hundred companies, it's been shooting higher. But this is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with them warning about the economy. Actually, their guidance earning divisions are you know, close to all time highs. So this almost for me feels like a Goldielock scenario going with the you know, the AI narrative going into next year. And my final thing, if you have a little bit of labor weakness as a result of AI, then going back to your conversation about the FED, might I not keep the FED a little bit more dubvish? And now I think again can help support the equity market value going into next year.
Speaker 3: Goldilocks for the equity market maybe changing economy.
Speaker 4: Which is a sort of key distinction here.
Speaker 3: I do wonder so this is an argument for AI being dominant, But that means the rest of the four hundred and ninety three outperforming playing catch up with the Magnificent seven.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 1: And again, one of the biggest things that we've seen over the last couple of years is that actually the performance of the mag seven has not been driven by valuations. It's all been by earnings growth. And now what we're seeing is earnings growth going from roughly thirty to forty percent on year into next year probably being in high teens and the rest of the market actually catching up with that, and so this will be one of the first years really since twenty twenty one where earnings growth between the mag seven and the four nine three are going to be somewhat equal, and so I do see much more scope for you know, outperformance for the rest of the market.
Speaker 6: What for you will be the telltale sign that actually adoption is underway significantly in some of these industries.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, to be honest, I already think that we see that. I mean, if you look at the data from some of the consumer stocks that are basically saying that we're using AI and becoming much more productive in terms of you know, targeted ad sales and whatever else. A huge number of companies on their earning schools are discussing about how they're adopting AI and actually again replacing that you know, labor or freezing labor as a result of the higher productivity. To me, you know, we're already seeing it from companies and the earning scores. Now us to talk about the exit market and the economy. What's very interesting is that for the broad economy, I don't think we are seeing much productive increase.
Speaker 5: It's really the large cap stocks.
Speaker 1: And so again like where does this AI productivity come from? It comes from companies with huge amount of employees that need to reduce it. If you're a small company and you have ten employees, you're not going to really replace that with AI. But if you've got hundreds of thousand employees, actually that's where the cost benefit comes from.
Speaker 6: You mentioned that this means maybe the FED then has to be dubvish. But how could a FED interest rate cut cycle solve the problem of AI.
Speaker 1: In terms of I mean, I mean, it doesn't really solve the problem of AI at allah labor layer, Yeah exactly, I mean, it doesn't solve this really, but it does reduce some of the pressure on the labor market in the near term, right in terms of reducing uh, you know, credit costs, reducing interest rates, reducing some of that burden on the low income consumer. And of course it is the low income consumer particular which has been hardest hit by higher interest rates, given that they have more of their debt in sort of floating rate debt products like you know, auto loans, credit card loans rather.
Speaker 3: Than mortgages at this point, it sounds like everyone's banking on stimulus coming from the fiscal side, with potentially two thousand dollars checks or whatever else comes from the tax refunds that we get in January. We're expecting monetary stimulus when it comes to FED rate cuts, possible use of.
Speaker 4: The balance sheet.
Speaker 3: I just wonder if this makes the US a less attractive place and a sort of currency adjust did basis for equities based on some of what we're expecting to see.
Speaker 1: Totally on the physical side, totally, I totally agree with that. And actually, you know one thing that I think the market is missing a little bit is it's not just stimulus that's coming out from the US. Actually, you know, China has just done a one point for trillion dollar debt swap. Germany is coming in with one hundred and fifty billion dollar stimulus next year. Japan is seeing up one hundred and ten billion dollar stimulus next year. So actually, what you could see is that you get a huge global wave of stimulus. As you mentioned, Actually the dollar starts to weaken and the rest of the world starts to looking very attractive, particularly because valuations are at a thirty forty percent discount even on the AI place you go to Asia, you get on an AI discount there in Europe less so, but you still got places like Germany which are seeing fourteen fifteen percent earnings growth and evaluation of fourteen to fifteen times earnings. To me, that seems quite attractive at this point.
Speaker 6: So what equity markets do you like? Germany and Asia plus the United States?
Speaker 1: So we are overweight emerging markets that includes Asia Latin. I mean, that's all due to you know, huge decreases in cost effect in interestraightcuts. But yeah, Europe Germany also stand out as our key overweights, and the US were neutral one. And a part of that really is because if I was going to get my AI kind of tech play, I'd actually rather do it with emerging markets rather than the US at this point, again, just from that valuation perspective.
Speaker 6: Lisa mentioned was coming out of Washing in terms of the fiscal stimulus, how are you thinking about the potential tariff impact, whether it's the United States or globally because we're still waiting on the Supreme Court decision on the President's signature tariff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think that is one of the aspects that worries me the most going into next year. So I mean, you know the three risks obviously AI bubble, and you know, the thaid being more hawkish, and we kind of discussed that the tariff on and I just don't think we've discussed it enough. I think everyone thinks that we've moved past tariffs and that's never going to come to buy. I do think there's been a lot of stocking up on inventory, and I do think we're starting to see incremental signs of inflation actually come through. We haven't had a lot of inflation data, and I suspect actually, when we get it, what we're going to find is that actually, particularly in the good side, there's been a lot ofishing up there, and so I do wonder whether that starts to eat a little bit into margins. But this is where I could say AI comes to save the day, because on the one hand, if you're a company and you're facing higher costs, actually, I think the big incentive as a company right now is Okay, why don't we adopt AI and try and reduce cost savings that way, And so much like COVID was right, one of the biggest forces of innovation adoption for companies. I actually wonder weather taris is one of the biggest forces of adoption of AI this year and next year because it forces people to become more productive.
Speaker 3: Does it make you nervous if nobody else is parish?
Speaker 1: I mean I talk to people that are bearsh I think you know, I think you know, I think you can speak.
Speaker 3: Are they enacting their bearish beliefs or they just sort of feel negative?
Speaker 1: I think theo's are two things. I think the cell side, you know, including myself, is quite bullish. I think when I speak to investors, they're clearly a little bit worried about this. I think there's there's definitely you know, every room that I walk into it is are in an AI bubble? You know, that is the number one concern. And then again, actually this conversation about the impact on lead the consumer role over more aggresively next year is probably the second biggest concern for people's investors at this point. So, you know, do I think everyone's bullish? No. I think there's actually a huge amount of money on the sidelines. And one of the things that I think is again really important here is that this three and a half trillion dollars of cash sitting in time deposits, just retail investors cash three and a half trillion dollars. And as the FED cuts interest rates, that's going to unlock a lot of that cash which can go into the equity market. Still, so, I still think there's a lot more buying opportunities and money to go into the equity markets here.
Speaker 2: Stay with US mult Blomberg Surveillance coming.
Speaker 3: Up after this, Ian hearted of Absolute Strategy Research, writing, America is in a race to dominate AI. We see this as part of a broader objective to bruce productivity keeping.
Speaker 2: The US is one of.
Speaker 4: The world's richest economies.
Speaker 3: Ian joins US now and I think that the most controversial question to you is will at work? Is the US stilobastion of returns and safety?
Speaker 7: Well, I think you know what we're looking at is an environment where President Trump is determined to win the midterms. You know they're going to work whatever they can do to avoid recession. I think you know, our chief rates economist Ebra Harby wrote a great piece about Kevin Hasset, you know, looking at his voting profile that potentially would lead to FED rates being seventy five basis points lower than they might have been otherwise.
Speaker 4: This is a really yeah, and so.
Speaker 7: You know that's one of the things that we're starting from definitely recovery rather than recession.
Speaker 5: I think, Lisa, this is.
Speaker 3: The reason why a lot of people are expecting an easier monetary policy, the reason why you're seeing that baked into FED fund's futures, as well as the sort of optimistic tone for the forgotten four hundred and ninety three. Do you think that that is the right way of looking at this, that either one way or another, the rest of the universe, the equal weighted universe, is going to outperform.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that we're certainly expecting that broadening out with seeing that in some of the data. But the real question that investors have to answer for twenty twenty six is this is a really unusual balance, really strong earnings growth and expectations of rate cuts that isn't going to survive probably the whole of the year. So is it going to be the growth in the earnings coming down or is it going to be those raid expectations starting to get raised Even with a more dubbish FED chair.
Speaker 6: Should we say, well, you think that Ai Capex and game is coming and you think there are signs of a bubble.
Speaker 7: B Absolutely, the AI is a bubble, you know, and so let's in terms of AI stocks and that is going to be the problem.
Speaker 5: You know that, But why does it stop?
Speaker 7: And I think the thing that we see is that the end of bubbles typically comes because cash flows start to get strained, and that can be the cash flows of the producers themselves. And we're starting to see that cash flow headroom coming down. Our Quarantinum have done some great work. But where we're going to see that is that it won't be capex that gets cut first. It'll actually be buybacks, so watch out for those. But historically when bubbles burst, it tends to be that the people buying goods the services they run out of cash, and that's going to be the thing. So, yeah, AI can be a structural story, but are those banks really sicklical rather than structural?
Speaker 6: Has it all been exacerbated by the fact that we see a lot of circular financing in this space.
Speaker 7: This is a very classic bubble experience. So we're seeing all the classic signs. We're getting exponential share prices, the companies are using those share prices to buy each other. They're buying each other's goods, they're doing it on vendor financing that circularity that you're talking about, and then this capex blowout as the cost of capital comes down for these AI companies, everybody tries to crowd into that space.
Speaker 5: That accelerates the build out. But the trouble is.
Speaker 7: The capex goes on like that and if your sales just start to tail off, then the margins get hit. That's when the challenge is going to come for this market, and that's when we get more of a shop.
Speaker 3: And this is coming up a moment where chat ChiPT is turning three. This is the reason why a lot of people are wondering is on its birthday, Happy birthday, good luck trying to survive for the right next time. Three years, there's this question of how much death's been built out with data centers tied to chat GPT to open AI incurring one hundred billion dollars of debt in that period. At what point can you see the overall market in US economy continue to grind higher If you do have a busting of the AI bubble in a significant.
Speaker 7: Way, I think at that point you'll be looking for those interest rates to coming down. But historically, when interest rates come down because things go wrong, that's bad news for equities. And that's the point where you could start to see the change, and that's probably going to be later in the year rather than earlier in the year. Actually, the biggest risk that we see for AI is that energy component that you know if you America has decided to use fossil fuel hydrocarbon energy, and that's going to be expensive, much more expensive than renewables that China is using. And it's also there's something called the food water energy nexus. If you want to have more energy for AI, that's going to cost you something in terms of water, which are going to cost you something in food. Do you want to faster search engine or do you want to still get you the food on you play? Those are the kind of decisions that we're going to see study to come to the fore as we see more of these issues raised.
Speaker 3: I think, Lisa think it's a great question at this point. I think some people, after spending all the time on the phone might choose their phones. I am curious from your perspective going forward, if this is the little landscape, do you think that the chance of a negative return on the S and P five hundred than Nasdaq next year and a more negative economic outlook in the United States looks.
Speaker 4: More likely because that.
Speaker 5: Seems to be what you're describing.
Speaker 7: I think when we go into twenty twenty seven, then it gets much more cloudy. You know, you have to take that decision about lower rates, a sorry, higher rates, or lower earnings. The big thing that we can see is that short term, these markets are being driven by momentum, they're being driven by liquidity, they're being driven by algorithmic trading. Longer term, what we know is that valuations matter, and so we just published report recently about the Lost decade for investors. If you are really investing for the long run, your long run earning equity returns probably about three percent over the next decade. That means you're going to get most of your returns from income, not from growth here and that is going to be the biggest challenge for investors. So recognize this as a trading market, a momentum market, and AI is a big part of that. Investing for the long run, that's a difficult game. Let's go back to two thousand. It was the digital age. We're living that digital age today. The big players today are the big players that they were there, Microsoft, Oracle, Apple, all of those companies lost between sixty five and ninety seven percent of their value their peak value and took between five and thirteen years to regain that value.
Speaker 5: Digital it was the structural story. AI is a structural story.
Speaker 7: But there's the right price to pay for everything in the equity market.
Speaker 6: Could put two of your thoughts together, that the Trump administration stock and want to see your recession before the midterm elections, and this idea that you think the AI story is start to fade. How does the Trump administration make sure that the AI story does not fade before the midterm elections given how much of the equity market is propped up by it.
Speaker 7: So I think you've got two leavers that you can or a couple of levers that they can operate through. First of all, Secretary vest And made it very clear that he's very, very keen to keep rates as well as they possibly can. You know, so, whether that's the new FED chair, whether it's using stable coin to try and inflate demand for bills or redistribute the demand for bills, then that will be one mechanism. What they have to do is to reinflate assets across the economy. The household sector needs to take on leverage, the corporate sector needs to be encouraged to take on leverage. That's the way you get the debt back under control. So what does that mean. They're going to be pumping the housing market. They're going to be trying to unlock There's thirty six trillion dollars of positive equity in houses that can't be accessed at the current time. Assumable mortgage is something like that. So some kind of innovation, privatization of Fanny and Freddie. Those are the kind of things I think we'll see up open up. The other thing is crypto. You know, they will continue this willingness to lend against crypto to keep the economy going. And you know, however they manage that, then we will see stay.
Speaker 2: With us mult Bloomberg surveillance coming up after this.
Speaker 3: Private credit concerns continuing to weigh on investors, even as losses from defaults are staying low. Amanda Linum of Blackrock writing this, we believe the peak and defaults in the public credit market is behind us. Amanda joins us. Now, Amanda, thank you so much for being with us. Thank you for having me. This is the big question, right, how much are people pricing to perfection credit at a time when potentially defaults are going to inflect upward. There's been a lot of issuance in the tech space, and there's a feeling that private credit has gotten a little bit heady.
Speaker 8: Okay, So I think there are a couple things to note. One is we often get asked in the corporate default market or corporate credit market when the peak in defaults is actually going to arrive. And what we point investors too is the data that actually shows.
Speaker 4: In the leverage loan market.
Speaker 8: For example, defaults peaked in November of twenty twenty four at seven point seven percent, which is actually a fairly high number. That's using Moody's data issuer weighted trailing twelve months. But the point is is that we think the peak in trade policy uncertainty is likely behind us.
Speaker 4: We think the peak in growth concerns.
Speaker 8: Is behind us, and we think the peak in debt service costs headwinds from higher interest rates is behind us. So when you put those three things together, coupled with a good enough growth BACKDRUP in twenty twenty six, it's hard for us to envision a new peak in corporate credit defaults, and again keeping in mind that we've already had kind of this flush in twenty twenty four because of the high borrowing cost. I think, coupled with that, our review for corporate credit, both liquid and private, is one of dispersion, but not widespread market disruption, and I think that's really the key point to keep in mind.
Speaker 3: So a positive outlook, a constructive outlook, as long as you're careful and you don't get some of the bad stuff. A real question though about just the spreads are pretty tight, but you have had a pretty loose market, and there is a feeling that maybe the appetite is waning for some of the tech related debt in a sense that maybe things have gotten gone a little bit too far too fast.
Speaker 4: It's a great point.
Speaker 8: Our view on credit is that if you're owning credit, you should be owning credit for income and yield, not necessarily because there's room for spreads to move materially tighter, and actually not because we think intermediate or long end rates are going lower.
Speaker 4: So that's really the view that's.
Speaker 8: A different way of thinking about credit versus past regimes when you had kind of a total return boost from tighter spreads and lower rates. It's really that income component. I would say to your second point part of your question, we're not really seeing on the ground that appetite is waning to a large degree in credit. In fact, a lot of these episodes of widening, and by the way, we think episodic volatility is a feature, not a bug of this market, but those periods of episotic widening, they're getting bought and so we're high. Old spreads are actually back below two seventy five using your Bloomberg index. So it's really to us, I think pretty evident that there is a fair amount of capital on the sidelines. It's income and yield based. There is demand, and I think wild spreads are tight. Our view is that the bar for a sustained sell off in credit spreads is.
Speaker 4: Also quite high.
Speaker 8: To get that, you would really need a severe deterioration in the growth backdrop, and we're really not seeing that, which goes back to this point of there's a lot of dispersion. There will be winners and losers, not every part of the credit market is keeping paced with this tightening, but we don't see an environment of widespread market disruption when you look.
Speaker 6: At the uncertainty though you named policy like tariffs and certainty being one of them that you feel like you are past. Does it bother you that we still don't have a decision from the Supreme Court on AEPA.
Speaker 8: I think our view is that if the Supreme Court does strike down the IEPA tariffs, that the administration has been pretty clear that they have other tools in their toolkits, such as sector specific tariffs. So our view is basically that tariffs and in this regime are likely to remain in place in some form.
Speaker 4: The key question is are corporates adapting to that?
Speaker 8: And actually what we see in the margin perspective is that actually margins are holding in relatively well and corporates have been forced to find other ways to protect their bottom line, whether that's through operational efficiencies that were originally supposed to take place over a couple of years, maybe they're front loaded, changing product mix, eliminating some skws. So it's really a bed on the management teams to figure this out. Just like during the pandemic, the trend of corporate resilience was actually much more pronounced than I think many market participants feared.
Speaker 3: There's a physical side of this, and the administration side of this, and then there's the monetary side of this. And we've been talking about the expected rates coming this month as well as potentially next year, and you said that you do think that some of the peak rates and peak uncertainty around that has faded. At what point is that sort of a necessary ingredient for your constructive outlook on credit next year?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 8: So, I think our view on the monetary policy path from here is that there's probably one or two more rate cuts in the pipeline, but as we get closer to neutral, and Shapal has said we're probably already at the high end of some estimates of neutral, that will become a more delicate balance between their dual mandate. And so, really what we've been emphasizing is the depth and the drivers of this rate cutting cycle.
Speaker 4: Are far more important than the timing of this.
Speaker 8: And if the drivers of the rate cutting cycle are driven by a significant deterioration in the labor market, that's not a great outcome for credit. By contrast, if the drivers of the rate cutting cycle are ongoing improvement and inflation, then that's a more benign outcome for credit. That said, it's hard for us to see rates going below neutral. We're expecting a normalization of monetary policy, not a sharp easing. So I think that income play on credit remains intact to a certain degree. It's moderated, of course, from the peak as rates have come down, but again that's a double edged sword. The yield backdrop for investors has moderated, but so too there's been some relief and debt servicing costs for corporate borrowers.
Speaker 4: Which is important.
Speaker 3: You're talking about being selective, and I do wonder, happy birthday, chatchybt third birthday. We should just touch on how much debt has been issued from the tech giants. We have seen one hundred billion dollars of debt tied to open AI and data centers that do provide services to them over the past number of months.
Speaker 4: I just wonder, does that make you nervous?
Speaker 3: Does that make you want to stay away from that debt as a potential pothole in otherwise pretty bright backdrop.
Speaker 8: So I think we view this as a bit of a regime shift in terms of the leadership of issuance at the sector level. As you noted, technology issuance actually months ago outpaced all other full years on record in the USIG market. So it's been kind of a real paradigm shift in the way that the market is absorbing tech issuance. We think there's a lot more room for this to play out. Actually, if you just look at a very modest estimate of increasing gross leverage by half a turn for the mag seven X Tesla, so excluding autos, there's hundreds of billions of debt capacity that could be added. So that's a large amount of debt actually upwards a four hundred billion, and again a modest tweak and leverage. We don't expect all of that to be used immediately. We think more likely it will be gradual over time. But I think the market is adapting to a realization that tech will be a larger contributor to issuance. But again, the demand for this has been very robust, and I think just like in sectors like biotech, where there are drug discoveries that happen years after bonds mature, it's almost a similar butt on the management teams.
Speaker 4: So you'd be patient, you'd be buying.
Speaker 8: I think from our perspective, we think that this is actually a regime shift that has been met with a significant amount of investor demand.
Speaker 2: Stay with US multile IMPEG surveillance coming up.
Speaker 3: Off to this, Shoppers spent billions on Black Friday and could break Cyber Monday records today, Luisy and a Senator Bill Cassidy joins us now for more. Senator Cassidy, thank you so much for being here. Could you square this idea of incredible spending and the ongoing American consumer continuing to uphold the underlying economy and this real feeling the cost of living is becoming unsustainable.
Speaker 9: Well, there's obviously segments within our society, and there's a group of people who are still managing to do well.
Speaker 5: There's another group of people who are really hurting.
Speaker 9: Now they may have the money to go out and buy their children the gift for Christmas. On the other hand, there is an increasing cost of insurance, whether it's health, property and casualty or flood insurance, as well as increasing costs and groceries. They have extra money but up here, but there's a lot of folks down here.
Speaker 5: Who are hurting.
Speaker 3: This is the reason why a lot of people are expecting, even though we are seeing profits at companies continue to increase, they're expecting the FED to cut rates to respond to that case shaped economy or the massive people who really aren't feeling the gains. And I'm just wondering how much you're prepared to step in that you think that it's a government's job on the fiscal side to really support that lower tier of consumers that are really feeling the pain.
Speaker 9: I would argue that in the tax cut for workings, families are the one big beautiful bill we attempted to do that. We did it both by no tax on overtime, no tax on tips for seniors, eliminating the tax that most would pay on their Social Security, but also putting in some some pro business efforts that would encourage business to reshore to build out their manufacturing. Lastly, I will say there's a lot of money taking place on infrastructure right now, and that infrastructure creates jobs. AI cannot swing a hammer, and so AI is not swinging in a hammer.
Speaker 5: Those folks will being employed.
Speaker 9: I would say that there is a business strategy to help those folks who are in the kind of struggling area of the economy centator.
Speaker 6: There's one area when it comes to affordability that actually might become a lot more expensive next year if Congress does not act, and that's the enhanced premiums when it comes to Affordable Care Act. You have a hearing this week regarding this. Do you think we can get to a decision before the deadline?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think we can.
Speaker 9: I have a plan, but it's one that other Republicans have reposed some form of, and we take that enhanced premium tax credit and instead of giving it to insurance companies where they take twenty percent for a profit and overhead, we give one hundred percent to the patient in the form of a deposit within a health savings account. This allows her not to buy the more expensive silver plan, but also get a cheaper plan called the Bronze Plan. Now did I say it's cheaper. It's cheaper, and so we're helping her own our affordability. By the way, the money in our health savings account also gives her first dollar coverage for a child's trip to the er. You know, I practiced for twenty years as a doctor, caring for the uninsured and the poorly insured. I learned that if you give power to the patient, you can lower health care cost. So we're giving power to the patient, not profit to the insurance company.
Speaker 6: Well, democrats come on board with this plan, it doesn't seem like they're interested in this. They want at minimum and extension for a year or two of the extended premiums.
Speaker 5: So think about it.
Speaker 9: We are we would actually be if you will, in one sense extending the.
Speaker 5: Enhanced premium tax credit.
Speaker 9: But instead of giving one hundred percent to insurance companies, they take twenty percent for profit and overhead.
Speaker 5: We're given one hundred percent to the patient.
Speaker 6: So you're getting the extension, but the pool shrinks that money.
Speaker 4: So to shrink it does not shrink well for the insurance. Are they going to have to pay more?
Speaker 6: Are you going to have to say you're on say the premium plan or is your plan going to be even more expensive. It's not being subsidized by those in the lower end.
Speaker 9: No, again, going back to this, if you got this amount of money and currently under the current plan, you give one hundred percent to insurance companies and they take twenty percent for overhead and profit. Instead you give one hundred percent to patients. In terms of deposits within a health savings account. First, you're lowering their deductible. And because you have lowered their deductible, they can take a cheaper bronze plan. No, normally you don't because your deductible is higher. We just lowered their deductible. They're getting a cheaper bronze plan. By the way, when you get power to the patient, she gets the health care she chooses to have that she knows she needs, as opposed to the healthcare the insurance company permits her to have a lot of wins in here for the patient who would.
Speaker 5: Not be for that. Whether you're a Republican or a Democrat.
Speaker 3: Do you think that this is enough to prevent the government from shutting a shutting down again in January when this comes back up.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, Why, Because we've actually addressed affordability in the exchanges, I would argue, we also begin to address the overall increase in healthcare cost. When you give that woman, and women make all the decisions in healthcare, When you give her the power of the purse and you say listen, if you go here, you save money. If you go there, you don't, everybody begins to lower their cost to where they can attract her business.
Speaker 3: You know, you said something earlier that I think is really important. You said that businesses have a role in creating jobs and creating a better landscape for the lower core tiles and de siles of the US economy and the US earners. I just wonder what policies you think need to be implemented to do that, because right now it doesn't seem to be working.
Speaker 5: Are you talking about in terms of overall business through business?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah, So I think that the tax policy that we've put in, and frankly with President Trump's tariffs, there's an incentive for people to begin to reshore that's certainly nearshore, and so when you reshore, you're going to create jobs. Now, that doesn't happen like that, think how long you need to put together your financing stack. But that's going to happen, and so as it happens, we'll see that kind of upswing in jobs for construction, for service, all those jobs that are related to that reshoring of manufacturing activity, and that'll cause a general boom. So that is long that is a sustainable strategy to create prosperity for folks.
Speaker 3: A lot of people are saying that the reason why companies haven't created more jobs is because they're using artificial intelligence for efficiencies, and you're seeing that in terms of Amazon coming out and saying they're laying people off because of some of the efficiencies they're getting from algorithmic learning. I'm just wondering, from a legislation standpoint, what you think that the government's role is and trying to make sure that people aren't left behind in this transition, given that a lot of these new programs can take on roles previously done by humans and.
Speaker 9: Techno optimist, if you've got something that's going to increase the productivity of our nation, will increase tax revenue, not by increasing rates, but by increasing the overall growth of the economy. When you increase that overall growth of the economy and you have more money, We've got like trillions of dollars of backlog in infrastructure.
Speaker 5: Let's just focus once we're there.
Speaker 9: If you begin to invest that money in infrastructure, AI does not swing a hammer, You're going to create a lot of jobs for folks who right now are struggling to get better jobs. By the way, we're also building out our oil and gas industry, our energy industry, that creates a heck of a lot of jobs. And so everybody looks at the negative, Oh, we're going to downside. We need to look at the positive. That would just shift investment to a more productive area of the economy. As we grow at the expense of other nations, or maybe we all grow together, we'll create that employment.
Speaker 6: Lisa started out this conversation talking about affordability. Americans are still struggling. You're also looking at trying to address healthcare affordability by actually having this health savings account proposal. The President talked about two thousand dollars tariff checks. You're on the Finance Committee, you're on the help you lead the Health committee. Do you think that that is a good way to address affordability right now? Putting money directly into consumer's pockets.
Speaker 9: So I'd like to see what the President's going to propose. We do know that the debt and deficit eventually takes money out of our pockets, and so we absolutely know that. So the question is better to pay down our nation's debt. And as you pay down our nation's debt, then it makes it easier to lower interest rates for the Fed to lower interest rates, which then lowers a mortgage payment, which then maybe lower other credit forms of credit. As you do that, you make life more affordable that way.
Speaker 5: The other thing you.
Speaker 9: Have to worry about is if you give everybody a two thousand dollars check, does that bump up inflation? And therefore the FED is inhibited on lowering their rates. So it can't be taken in kind of isolation. It has to be taken in context of everything we can do to benefit that person sitting at home struggling a little bit.
Speaker 6: It sounds like you would be a no then on the two thousand llinos.
Speaker 5: Sounds like I'm going to investigate so that I know, okay.
Speaker 6: While you investigate, there's also potentially going to be another big Senate first to hearing and then a vote when it comes to the president's FED pick. Right now, the front runner is his counsel and Economic Advisor's chair, Kevin Hassett. Do you think you would say yes to him being the FED chair.
Speaker 9: I've been impressed with Kevin. This is the second time around serving and Trump's administration. I think he's done a good job. Of course, our reserve judgment until we actually begin to look at him as FED chair we are having this problem of inflation which just is a little bit sticky, and yet we want to decrease rates. How you're going to navigate that, But I'm certainly predisposed to support him.
Speaker 4: Are you worried about FED independence?
Speaker 9: Fed independence is critical, you just have to have it. But I also think that Kevin would step up and be as aware of the importance of FED independence as anybody.
Speaker 2: This is the Bloomberg Survendans podcast, bringing you the best in markets, economics, ancient politics. You can watch the show live on Bloomberg TV weekday mornings from six am to nine am Eastern. Subscribe to the podcast on Apple, Spotify, or anywhere else you listen, and as always on the Bloomberg Terminal. And Buck based this out
Speaker 8: Mm hmm.