Speaker 1: This episode was recorded prior to the sag After strike. Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with Higheartradio.
Speaker 2: Down as Katie, So, you still feel like you're digesting your food from south By Southwest.
Speaker 1: And I'm also starving. I'm also really hungry right now? Are you hungry?
Speaker 3: You are?
Speaker 4: No? I had a delicious, very hawklike turkey sandwich right before I got on here, Like I was like, Oh, I'm gonna toast myself a Dave's killer seated bread. I'm gonna have some mayonnaise, I'm gonna have some crunchy romaine lettuce, and I'm gonna have some delicious sliced turkey meat, a fucking pickle and some chips.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's truly good.
Speaker 1: That is such a That's hucks dream sandwich.
Speaker 4: And it's also I feel like what they always gave you. Yeah, but yours was maybe not on like seeded bread. It was probably on like a Hogi roll or something.
Speaker 1: Oh. I always asked for wheat bread. I always asked for eat bread. Yeah yeah, yeah, And.
Speaker 3: Now my mouth is watering too.
Speaker 1: You know, And I and I started you were you were so much healthier than I was. You started eating that bread that you had to keep in the freezer. Remember, oh, like.
Speaker 3: A gluten freeze Yes, something.
Speaker 1: Sure that tracks berry? Right, berry was our fe berry berry. You would order it and say, let me get that gluten free bread. And I remember, and then I started ordering that too.
Speaker 4: Well, if a gluten free bad bread is toasted with a shitload of mayonnaise on, and it really can't tell.
Speaker 3: That much the difference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But you know what's.
Speaker 4: Crazy when you're pregnant. You're not allowed to eat deli meat.
Speaker 3: Do you know this?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Fuck, I think I knew this.
Speaker 3: Or sushi, right, Yeah, you're not alsos to have sushi. You're not apposed to have deli meat.
Speaker 4: Anything that could be carrying listeria, I think is what it is. But like a food born like contaminated illness. And because like deli meat can sometimes just be out, really it can be carrying shit that's really dangerous. So that, by the way, it's also like one in a billion that that happens, but it does happen.
Speaker 3: And for some reason, when I was pregnant, I was like, if I don't.
Speaker 4: Get a fucking cold cut, I am going to fucking off myself, Like all I wanted was turkey, a ruben, dry like corn beef, anything like that.
Speaker 3: So I pushed my daughter out and take this.
Speaker 4: Oh. I ordered like delivery Postmates right to my room at cedar Cyina I literally an hour after she had come out, and I ordered like a huge ruben from Goldblatz Deli. It was like turkey, roast beef, corn beef, Russian dressing, cold flaw on a fucking bun, like a huge HOGI and I took down the whole thing and I was like the most delicious thing ever.
Speaker 3: I was never gonna make that mistake again.
Speaker 4: The first when I gave birth to Albi, stupidly, my doula, who I love, said to me, you know you've lost, like you know, take so much energy and blood to like bur the baby, so like you want to really replenish your systems, So why don't you order like a salmon and some spinach. You said, bait, No, That's what I had for Albi, and I to this day I regret that. To this day, I'm like, if you fucking bur the baby, whatever it is you're craving, you should have it in like if it's vehicles. If it's delimeat, if it's if it's oysters, if it's.
Speaker 1: Bacon cheeseburger, you want you shaken.
Speaker 4: White Castle, give a ship. But I stupidly my first time around.
Speaker 3: I remember it.
Speaker 4: I ordered salmon with spinach from Granville, which is delicious, but it's like when I'm like dieting and being careful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you don't want that. Right after push no.
Speaker 4: My daughter, I had a ruben melted fucking cheese on it.
Speaker 3: He was so delicious.
Speaker 4: I had pickles, potato pancakes, apple sauce, sour cream, like such Jewish jellyfood. And then two hours later I ordered Southern fried chicken with honey and maple syrup, like almost like a like a chicken and waffle.
Speaker 1: I'm clutching my chest, you guys, I'm clutching my rosary.
Speaker 3: All right, let's fucking get in shod.
Speaker 1: We get into it.
Speaker 3: We get into it. Fucking get.
Speaker 4: Two twenty called A Woman Scorned, which aired on May second, twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: And it was written by Zahir McGhee and directed by the star of Friday the thirteen Part six, Tony Goldwin.
Speaker 4: I cannot believe Tony Goldwin directed this episode, he was he had such like so to do.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you Tony is a master of all trades man like, and this episode god like. I think. My first note is the energy of this episode is on overdrive and I love it like it's this episode is so high paced and the stakes are so high.
Speaker 3: It's bad, states are so high. Everyone has so many moments.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: It was guest starring Scott Foley as Jake Ballard, Dan Bucatinski is James Novak, George Newbern as Charlie, Joe Morton as Mysterious Man, and.
Speaker 1: Then Sharmila Davar as Lauren Wellman, Kate McGregor Stewart is Married, Molly Baker as Rachel Moss, and Amy Farrington as Tammy Blakelee Bird Lady Birdwork, Birdwork.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Synopsis, Just to remind all you listeners out there, what the fuck is going on? In this episode, the OPA team discovers that Charlie is working for the White House Mole. By tracking down Charlie, they make strides towards identifying Albatross. After an unknown assassin broke into her apartment, President Fitzord is Jake Ballard to keep Olivia safe, and Olivia is not happy about it.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that Fits re commit himself to her in the family, or she'll exposes affair with Olivia on national television. Cyrus desperately tries to convince Fitz to take Mellie's threats seriously. Fitz chooses to let the clock tick out on his marriage and perhaps his career.
Speaker 4: Goddamn all right, So the stakes of this episode are so high because this is one of those awesome Scanal episodes where we're literally up against a ticking clock. That Melli has moved into the Blair House and she is threatening saying, I've made an appointment with National fucking News tomorrow six pm. I am going live and telling the country that my husband is a philandering whore and has been cheating on me unless he leaves Olivia Pope and recommits to me and the family. And so the whole episode is like, will she do it, won't she do it? Will Cyrus be able to stop her from doing it? Will Fits care that she's doing it? Olivia knows she's about to do it, and it's all about like.
Speaker 1: Like going to go down? Yeah, And also really quickly I had to google Blairhouse because I had no They kept saying Blair House, Blairhouse, Blairhouse. I was like, what the fuck is the Blair House? And it's supposedly it's the President's guesthouse. That's that's the you know, the definition of Blair House. It's the President's guesthouse. So that's where where Mellie is staying, which is, you know, pretty far away from the White House. I have to walk through these tunnels, right, I want to stay there?
Speaker 3: Is it accessible? Is that actually true?
Speaker 4: In the episode they sort of say, she's like, I'm moving into Blairhouse.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 4: No one's going to know about it because I can take tunnels to and from to get there, which we always see. Also Jeff Perry Cyrus running through these tunnels getting from one to the other, and he is so fucking exceptional and it's.
Speaker 1: Beautiful, beautiful has to run ten on and.
Speaker 4: I know Jeff Perry has a bad knee, but when he does it and he's on a phone and he's streaming in that gut, ur all like, it's just like beautiful, it's beautiful funny, because again, these are the things you can't fake, Like we always say, kissing, eating, smoking, and like you, I can't fake running like.
Speaker 3: He has to run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So she's living in Blair House, which is, thank you, Ghera Mo Diaz, the White House guest house, and the team has sort of gotten to Oh. Also, Carrie starts the episode swimming her fucking ass off as Olivia Pope, and we caught up to Jake Ballard is like watching her at the pool, watching her at the apartment, and she's like, what the fuck are you doing? Get away from me and he's like, no, I'm on strict orders. And she's like, let me call the President himself. She calls the President. She's like, get your puppy off of me. I don't need this fucking puppy dog watching after me. And he's like nope, nope, and that's not gonna happen. But of course the President doesn't know that Olivia and Jake in previous EPs they already hooked up.
Speaker 1: Right, And I don't think Jake knows that Olivian fits are that in deep with each other.
Speaker 3: If I may the episode, Yeah, he's uses later.
Speaker 4: It's so sweet, like when he finds out, he's like, I didn't know you were the President's girl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, she's like, why did you sleep with me? And he's like, because you're amazing, and you know.
Speaker 4: You're amazing, and I've been watching you and I'm calling for you and I'm so into you, and I wouldn't have but I didn't know. I didn't know how deep you were in. I didn't know you were with that. I didn't know you were the president's girl.
Speaker 1: And also how fucking creepy that he's been watching, like literally watching her because he has a camera in her apartment camera.
Speaker 4: Creepy, which, like, hut to, we're kind of jumping all over this episode, but just go with us. Yeah, cut to the kind of endish of this episode where Jeff Jake is sitting in his apartment watching the footage of him and Olivia fucking, which I'm just like, yeah, this is so creepy, Like, Jake, you are so messed up.
Speaker 3: I don't even know.
Speaker 4: And he's like sitting in his creepy armchair like all sitting gross.
Speaker 1: He's like sort of grinny and yet enjoying it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's like watching back, like, oh, yeah, here's where I take off my shirt and we're fucking on the we start hooking up on my kitchen counter, and then we move into the bed and you're like, oh my god, you have cameras in your bedroom. But then you realize the reason he's watching back the video is because he sees that Charlie broke into his apartment. He also watched the footage of Jake and Olivia having sex, and now Jake knows that Charlie knows.
Speaker 1: And there's an amazing shot of Jake watching Charlie watching Jake and Olivia having sex. It's like the Russian dolls, right.
Speaker 3: Like that's exactly what it is. That's so And of course.
Speaker 1: George Nwburn has like a leader of like a Coca cola whatever the fuck. He's drinking like a big soda and he's definitely grinning and enjoying, you know what he's watching. It's so good.
Speaker 4: And then the the OPA associates, we are all huddled over by the coffee maker and Live walks in. You know, Jake has followed her to work. She's like, you can stay here butt of my office, and he's like watching, you know, staying guard dog outside, and Olivia is like, what is going on?
Speaker 3: What secret do you all have? What is happening?
Speaker 4: And we all sort of have one of those classic iconic OPA scenes, all finish each other, yeah, I don't know, I don't know what don't know, And then we finish each other's sentences to basically tell her that we think Cyrus is the mold.
Speaker 1: Yes, because we saw we recognize, well, Huck recognizes Charlie's ear in the footage from the storage place where Huck was put in a box, so we yeah, yeah, yeah, so this is people should know this is well, theyugh no, because they they'll have heard the episode right before this on the podcast, but right before this was seven fifty two, right before this episode, so everything that's why Huck looks Huck actually one.
Speaker 4: Well in this episode, he's like coming in and they're like, oh, are you ready to go back to work because you're so like fucked up from being like caught in a box.
Speaker 1: He's melting down this whole episode, which is one of the things, Katie that made me laugh because when those beautiful pastries come into the picture in this episode, in that pink box, the bear claws and the cheese Danish and the and I you know, as an actor, I had to make the decision not to eat the pastry because I was like, Huck is having the worst anxiety attacks non stop throughout this whole episode. Why would he stop and have a bear claw? So I decided not to eat. But I was so upset about that because I was like, that's just so bad.
Speaker 4: Let's just applaud Giermo Diaz for his commitment to his craft.
Speaker 1: I am a thespian, my listeners, a committed thespian.
Speaker 3: That is, I'm so proud of you. You made that choice. I'm so anxious. I'm just gonna eat this.
Speaker 1: I'm emotional. Why couldn't I have been an emotional eater? Why didn't I choose to be an emotional eater as an actor? I should have gone with that decision.
Speaker 3: That would would not have tracked for Huck. No, it would not have been Hucked.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: The most amazing scene too, is then Fitz is getting a real itch for Olivia and makes her come to his oval office and she's pissed.
Speaker 1: She comes in and she's like what yeah, And the only reason she goes to his office is because he says, come to my office. She's like no, and he says, all right, then I'm gonna go to your office. Are you is your is your gang all there? I can't wait to meet them, And she's like, damn it, and that's what propels her to go to fucking fits and she's mad she busted out the she busted out those white gloves too, to go to office.
Speaker 3: Her hands and she's like what yes, and he's like, I still love you, Like what are we doing?
Speaker 4: I love you? And then she like points, let's go to the area of the Oval office that's not under surveillance on that part. And then she's like basically we get to the point of the episode where she's like she says in that awesome Olivia Pope things, she's like, you want me earn me?
Speaker 1: So good? Oh yeah, that was good.
Speaker 3: She's like me, I mean for a hundred reasons.
Speaker 2: But that right.
Speaker 1: And she also says, you can't just summon me and just you know, when you're horny or lowly or whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she says, not a fantasy. You want me earn me? Whoa, it's so fucking good.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And usually that's when a guy or a girl whatever will back down and be like, oh ship, I don't know if I don't know if I could do that, just yo, no, no, no, no, I just wanted to bone.
Speaker 4: You might be a crazy bitch, Like, no, fucking thank you. We will be back with more after the break. Okay, she has that amazing scene which was is incredible, and this is another scene that Okay, Cyrus goes to goes over to Blairhouse to try to bribe Mellie not to talk, and he's like, we'll give you governor, we'll give you senate, like we're gonna fucking load up your political career that if you just do not go on public record saying that there was an affair, like, we will give you so much political capital it'll be worth it.
Speaker 3: And she's like with nope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, He's like, we'll give you an issue. What do you want, like you know, the pipelines, whatever it is, and you can run with it and you'll you know soar And I also I noticed in it and this is the second time this Cyrus walks through those long corridors under the White House to get to Blair House. So he does this several times. I don't know, I don't know where they shot that. It's it's awesome though, right.
Speaker 4: It's awesome, and it's like long and we've used it a bunch of times, the way that Norm Lewis takes when when Edison is going into a bunker, Like, I feel like we've used those hallways a bunch of times.
Speaker 3: They're like the underground pathways under the White House.
Speaker 1: Where the fuck are they? We have to ask where they are?
Speaker 3: They must have been built. I feel like they were on stage.
Speaker 1: Oh maybe you know. I also noticed in all the scenes in I believe it's all of them, Mellie is wearing green, and I kept thinking, oh, because she's green with envy this whole episode, and I thought, I wonder if that's something that Lynn Paolo and or or and or Bellamy Young thought of. But I just kept being like, oh shit, she's just wearing this gorgeous like green outfit.
Speaker 3: Oh she's green with that, She's green with envy.
Speaker 4: When when we have Lynn Paalow on, we're gonna have to put that on the list of ship Yes, this scene you absolutely demolished. Goes into Olivia's office and says, the last girl that the President was sleeping with, Charlie, had her killed. And so he says, you you're basically telling her you want her to be careful. Yeah, he says that she's sleeping with the president.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And she's like, well, why you know whatever she says, and then he's like, because the last girl scept with the president ended up dead in the Potomac. Oh, it's such a I don't.
Speaker 3: And then you say, and I want and I want you to live. I want to stay alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also live has that look on her face like, oh shit, everybody knows I slept with the president. I mean we all know. Everybody know, we.
Speaker 3: All know except for Josh. In this episode, everybody everyone in o PA knows.
Speaker 4: And Jake Ballard finds out in this episode that Olivia fits are an item.
Speaker 1: Yes. I love that line from h David Rosen from Josh Blina when he says, oh, I wonder who he's banging when we see the news, you know later on when when yes, I'm it's.
Speaker 3: Fine, Oh my god, we're going all over.
Speaker 1: We've gone wrong, We've gone wrong, We've gone wrong.
Speaker 3: Building barbecue in Austin and we're just fuck okay, Cyrus.
Speaker 4: Right after that sceat Cyrus goes to Mellie back up Blair House and says, what if I could get rid of Olivia Pope? And so the writers are sort of taking us down this path, like is he gonna try?
Speaker 3: Like is that a thing? And it's so cute.
Speaker 4: I love the whole bird work ship, the opa. We put Charlie up on the board. We're trying to figure out for sure if Cyrus is the mole, because Olivia has said, if we're gonna accuse my friend of a very long time that he's the mole, we better be fucking sure. Start looking into Charlie. We PLoP Charlie's face up on the board. You say, like, sweet ship, Yes he likes Yeah.
Speaker 1: Someone asked what is what does he like? What he's liked to do? And Huck He's like, uh, he likes to kill and he also likes sweets. And then Olivia is like, well, what's the best fucking bakery in town? Right?
Speaker 4: And then we go there, and then Quinn and Josh Quinn and Rose to them colonoles and I'm like, when you don't.
Speaker 3: Have a badge, you need to make friends.
Speaker 4: And then I like, I'm like, hi, oh my gosh, my friend always picks up the most delicious canoles.
Speaker 3: It's so delicious. Have you ever seen him before?
Speaker 4: And I show her a picture of Siren of Charlie and she's like, yeah, Thursdays at six, And I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, wait, Katie, did you guys shoot that in an actual bakery where their pastries in the display thingy? Because I wouldn't have been to resist. My mouth is watering too.
Speaker 4: How about are you so method as an actor that during this episode when you were like all being anxious and shit, were you eating any of that crap off camera?
Speaker 1: Or were you just like I must have. I'm not that method. I must have.
Speaker 2: In a minute.
Speaker 1: Have you had a No, it's been forever. The last time I had a Canoli was when I went to like my my ex sister in law's house because they're full on like Italian and they always have Canole's and all that. That's imposta and you know, got everything.
Speaker 4: Like so, connoli is one of those desserts that I never liked as a kid. I thought it was disgusting, and now as an adult, I think it is so delicious.
Speaker 1: Do you like the chocolate chips in it? Or do you like it just plain?
Speaker 3: I like the chocolate chips in it, I do.
Speaker 1: What about you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah? I Usually I would say no, but with Canol's, I like that little extra crunchy chocolate delight.
Speaker 4: You know what, I just realized, it's kind of like a New York Chinese food soup cracker.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what it does? I mean it kind of resembles a fortune cookie in a way too, right, Like yeah, yes, yes.
Speaker 4: But like I always feel like those the cracker on the outside of the canoli, isn't it sort of.
Speaker 1: Like oh, like a wanton cracker a little bit?
Speaker 3: Like because it's fried it yes, right, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah the little bubblies yeah, and then it's cheese and of course sugar inside. Might let me tell you something. You're gonna You're gonna find a box of canoli's outside your house in like an hour.
Speaker 2: Let's google this.
Speaker 3: Where where can we get?
Speaker 1: Where can we get a canole?
Speaker 3: Wait? I'm dying to know, Like where.
Speaker 4: I don't think I've ever had a canoli in Los ange I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I don't think I have either in New York. It's so fucking easy, right Street or only Mulberry Street.
Speaker 3: Where to get a great canoli? Fuck? I am jones right now like a pregnant woman. Where to get a great canoli in Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: Well, booty bump that ship, bloody bump.
Speaker 3: That sho.
Speaker 4: Okay wait it says the fifteen best places for canol in Los Angeles, And then we're getting back to this Cavaretta's Italian Groceries.
Speaker 3: Oh fuck to paying a canyon. Now you're going there?
Speaker 4: Fuck out here, we need the Valley Eagle Rock Italian Bakery and Deli.
Speaker 1: That's far too is it? It is?
Speaker 4: But my mouth is literally watering. I can I can't. Okay, all right, where do we leave off?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Where do we leave off?
Speaker 4: We find out Charlie gets the Canoli's, and then we even find out through a little bit more slew thing that he brings the Canolis to a book club and that's thanks to Rosen he finds that out. And we go to the book club and we find out that Charlie's been hooking up with this girl, Tam Blakely, and we have Tam Blakely into O PA and she's sitting at the head of the conference table and it's hilarious.
Speaker 3: I can remember shooting these scenes and we had the best time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when whenever date, whenever, Josh Molina was in O PA. It was just such a blast, like we just we just had such such.
Speaker 4: An added layer of insanity. Yeah, but I can remember she she gets called in because we lie to her and we say, hey, we're interviewing Charlie for this like very high profile job, and.
Speaker 3: She's like, I knew he was special, I knew he was important.
Speaker 4: Oh, she's so good, and like we said already, it sort of becomes obvious that he's not into this girl at all. He's totally using her because she was the courts stenographer for Defiance.
Speaker 1: They banged though, right, you think they had sex? They had sex? I'm sure no, because there's a shot. There's that little quick like photo burst where they're making out, where they're kissing where he like pushes her up against the wall. She pushes him up against the wall. I wonder if the characters like had sex.
Speaker 4: No, he pushes her up the up against the bookshelf and a library. Yeah yeah, yeah, and then she pushes him up to be like, Yo, these book club bitches be crazy, thirsty freaks in the bed.
Speaker 1: They are ret tea. They did their DTFU.
Speaker 3: Speaking about another sex scene, James and Cyrus. How about that?
Speaker 1: Oh man, wait, did they have sex in this episode? Or they just don't have sex?
Speaker 4: They they make out, but it's like the most I feel like intimate makeout we have seen of j And then he like drops his pants and James gets down on his knees because we can assume that he's gonna give him a blow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. Can we just talk about how freaking like as a as a gay person, like how fucking generous and thoughtful Shanda has been with the lgbt Q I A plus community, Like from the gate, Like in the first episode, she deals with someone who's in the closet and then sort of exactly and discovers that there's nothing to be ashamed of, and you know, decides to live his authentic self and all that. And then and then to see these two lead characters, you know, play these openly gay gay men, and it's just so matter of fact. It's so refreshing, you know what I mean, because I grew up with watching fucking bullshit, like you know, like like Three's Company and fucking Jack was acting like he was gay and it was a big joke, and or Monroe on that other show, what the fuck was that other show? Fucking I'm Too Close for Comfort And it was all just like like buffoonery and like we were clowns and it was a joke anyway, So it's just so No, it's amazing.
Speaker 3: To see it.
Speaker 4: And I also I love seeing that they're not like like in no offense to Dan Bucatinski. God, don't listen to this, Dan, but like they're also not like twenty and like supermodel.
Speaker 3: Yes not like we're also seeing this like, Okay, we'll have hot guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, we'll have gay guys, but they have to be like universally like super hot in the right age and all this kind of stuff. Like I like that they're just like fucking men, like regular men who like have jobs and are just like, yes, you know, have like a sex life and sleep in the same bed and adopt a daughter and like all of that.
Speaker 1: Every every time I watched these I read them, and of course watched them, I thought of my parents at home watching it, and I thought the the the amount of strides forward that these episodes are making just in my life alone with my family. I mean, they're accepting and there they're wonderful. It took them just a second, you know, to sort of fully accept, but just the fact that they're watching this and and just again the the amount of the acceptance that they've opened up their hearts.
Speaker 3: They're watching a show.
Speaker 4: It's like, yeah, of course your parents accept you and love you and they but now they're watching on a TV show like like that. It's it's very normal, Like she's normalizing it because she's putting it into mainstream media. And yet again, like I know, we talked about this on the panel. It's south by Southwest, but like here we are part of this show that was a water cooler show and appointment viewing on Thursday nights, and some parts of it were soapoppery and some parts that were this, and some parts that were that, But really it was Shonda Rhyme's making massive strides towards inclusion and representation and putting hot button topics issues and very controversial things in ten PM network viewing.
Speaker 3: I mean, fucking crazy.
Speaker 1: That stuff that gets embedded into people's brains and psychees and they start thinking, oh, yeah, that is normal, that's you know what I mean. It's wonderful. It's good because the opposite could happen too. When you see negative shit like that and then people start thinking, you know, terrible shit about you know, certain certain people or whatever. But yeah, I'm we're so blessed.
Speaker 3: We're so blessed. And it was so like so cool to be a part of a show that had reach like that. Yeah, just so many people.
Speaker 4: But then was also like making statements and making change. It was fucking awesome. Yeah, yay, Cyrus and James blow jobs.
Speaker 1: Yay, we'll be right back guys.
Speaker 4: In twenty two minutes. We're on a ticking clock. She's gonna go live. And Cyrus comes and says to Fits, there's a newsman in front of Blairhouse and Melli will go live, and so you need to like tell the woman you love.
Speaker 3: That you're in it with her.
Speaker 4: And so all of a sudden, Fits is like, get me my jacket, you know, get me the cars, get me the fucking security.
Speaker 3: Let's go. And you kind of think he's going to Blairhouse to make it better for Melly.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you do.
Speaker 3: Noe, Nope, nope.
Speaker 4: He shows up at Olivia's apartment and tells Jake get the fuck out of here.
Speaker 1: Fuck out of here. You done, you finished it, your job is done.
Speaker 3: Thanks for covering the post. I'll take it from here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Jake leaves and Olivia opens that door and she's like, what is it, what is happening? What are you doing here? And he just he walks right in. Did you notice he just walks into her apartment. He didn't even wait for her to invite her.
Speaker 4: In such swag he wants write in and she goes, what are you doing here? You have twenty two minutes you could still say this. You could save your political career. You have no way that you're gonna get reelected for a second term.
Speaker 3: What the fuck are you doing? And he's like, I want you to watch me choose you.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're gonna watch me earn you together, I think, And he says the most beautiful lines.
Speaker 3: God so here McGee.
Speaker 1: Wrote the Ship's Right. I love him, but he says.
Speaker 4: These lines like I think you're scared that I don't. That is something like I love you more than the presidency. Yeah, I don't give a fuck about Rihan getting re elected. I love you more than all of it.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: And he also sort of alludes to the fact he's like, I don't I don't think you. I don't think you believe that I was actually that I'm gonna do this, that I that you mean more to me than my job than the presidency, because you do, and I'm gonna show you. I'm gonna see that, You're gonna earn you. I wonder if Olivia was like, oh shit, goddamn, maybe I don't Maybe I don't want to be earned, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Sure, I'm sure she was terrified. I'm sure. I mean I could see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would change her whole trajectory in her life. Right, that's right, she wouldn't be able to be Olivia Pope anymore. Probably most likely.
Speaker 3: No, they're supposed to go to Vermont and make jam yet she can't have a job.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But she's sitting on a chair and he's sitting on the couch, and they have this clock, this sheaic ass, little white fucking clock from her apartment that no one could even see the time, but they.
Speaker 3: They put it on her table to sort of watch the clock run out.
Speaker 4: And at the same time, they're cutting back and forth between Mellie, who's also watching the clock run out, and she's realizing he's not going to come, and he doesn't fucking care.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love seeing him so like relaxed and fucking he's such a stud in these scenes, like he's just like, I don't give a fuck. You're my girl, and I don't give a fuck. Who knows it. It's so ice.
Speaker 4: They have moments where she her eyes are welling up. There are moments where he's sitting cross legged with his mouth in front of his hand, in front of his mouth. He's got like a little smile, a little snicker, like it's so hot and so fucking great.
Speaker 3: And it's a long time.
Speaker 4: They give us cutting between Melly and Olivia and fits and the song that's playing is what is that song?
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you, Oh fuck, it's so good. Your all, honey, that's it?
Speaker 5: Get bite And then he goes like, sweet morning, dude, look at you. And it was playing to see you are my destiny.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous, it's perfect. There's no no as you know, your money.
Speaker 1: It just gives this extra life to that scene.
Speaker 3: Its sound supervising to the fucking max.
Speaker 4: It's perfect, scandal, it's everything, it's absolutely everything.
Speaker 3: And the clock runs out.
Speaker 1: It runs out, yo.
Speaker 4: And we don't know what's going to happen because it's almost so amazing, but the clock runs out, and you're right, we don't know if Olivia is going to choose him. Yeah, like he chose her over his political career, but she hasn't said anything, and we don't know if he just committed political suicide, like and he's and it's gonna be reciprocated or not.
Speaker 1: Exactly yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah start kissing.
Speaker 1: Oh man, They're like, yeah, this is a hot ass sex scene. I mean, there's a million hot sex scenes with Olivian fits, but this one is particularly just super steamy. Man, and then and.
Speaker 4: Then this one and all Tony's also directing it, and he's directing that ship.
Speaker 1: Yo, how do you do that shit? Wait? I wonder if the ad like our ad if because as a director I would, and an actor I would. I mean I've never acted in the film I directed. I didn't act, and so I don't know, but I feel like I would tell the ad. Look, if you feel like we got it, you call cut, you know what I mean? Like, I wonder how that worked, how Tony works that, or if he's like in the middle of the scene, like you know, making out with Olivia and he cuts him. He says himself, Okay, I think we got it.
Speaker 4: Do you know what I mean, yeah, I think I think they must have let it lie, probably with Oliver our DP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think probably Oliver and the first a D.
Speaker 4: Like, you know, Tony would probably go talk to Oliver and be like, hey, let me know, like if I need to move or we're not getting it right, or like the shots not lined up. You know, they probably were pretty and Oliver had directed a bunch of scannels himself, right, that's true. So I feel like there was probably a lot of that going on. But then next time we have Tony Goldwyn on, we need to ask him what it was like directing a self in sex scenes.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, let me tell you something, man. He as a director, I mean he's an amazing actor, but as a director, what an inspiration. Man. He's this episode like fucking sores, man. It's sores at a pace that is high paced and energetic and fucking it's just on from the beginning to end, like nonstops. So it's just so good. It's the energy, it's it's I don't know if it had to do because there was all the bird talk in this episode and those birds are lifting us up. Yeah, it's just so good. Tony did it? Did an amaze a remarkable job directing, and.
Speaker 3: We have to remember to put on the list when he comes back.
Speaker 4: I am really curious actually about how he directs himself in like the sextcene, Like how does he do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: So then Melli we realize she kind of looks almost like childlike she realizes that she wasn't chosen and now she's gonna is her balls as big as her bridges, Like, yeah they are? Can she put her money where her fucking mouth? And is she going to go on national television and tell the story that her husband's been cheating on her? And then of course none other who is doing the interview in Blair House, fucking James Novak, who thinks mother fucking Anderson Cooper and he's interviewing her.
Speaker 3: And this is where Cyrus.
Speaker 1: Who fucking but how conniving of Mellie to be like, I'm gonna choose Cyrus's husband to be the one that I want to interview me.
Speaker 3: Oh she do you know what I mean? She is a package?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: Cyrus goes fucking running as fast as his little broken knee will take him down that hallways.
Speaker 3: On the phone, get it off the waves, Get him off like flapping back. He is flapping like all freaking the fuck out. He's like screaming.
Speaker 4: It's always so great because you always feel like he is on the version of having a heart attack.
Speaker 1: Oh every single time, every time, every time.
Speaker 3: He feels like he's gonna have a heart attack. It's so funny.
Speaker 1: And then he finds himself there in the interview, you know, behind the camera obviously, and he's just you could just see the frustration and the desperation of wanting to just run in there and snap that's James right out of that fucking interview or chair and get him out of there. He is so mad.
Speaker 3: Yes, and Melly does it.
Speaker 4: She says a national television that Fits her marriage has been in trouble and that Fits was having an affair. And the whole time Melly's saying that Fitz is having an affair. Live and Fits are just banging in her apartment. It's just cutting back and forth between the cyrus, blood boiling James interviewing Melly, Melly telling the American people, and Fits and Live are just Phonetown, USA.
Speaker 1: I Also, this is my favorite hair on on on Live. It's really nice.
Speaker 4: Very last scene of the episode, it's pressing in the shower, yeah, well that one, and also when it's when after in the shower, because then you see it curly, which is beautiful too.
Speaker 1: Yes. Oh, and then you see that after all that sex, they're in the shower. I bet they You think they ordered some really good food after they had sex. Probably right, I would have.
Speaker 4: Been stopping a stash them calories so delicious. Although, to be honest, when you're like first having sex with someone, I just feel like you like, never eat, right, You're just like so scared you're.
Speaker 1: Gonna f yeah exactly, or have to use the bathroom. You're like, hell no, yeah, hell no.
Speaker 4: Although I think Olivia and Fits have been fucking for a very long time, so maybe they're past that.
Speaker 3: Maybe they are ordering Chinese.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they might be past that.
Speaker 4: So the end of the very end of the episode, Mellie's unleash the beast. She's total the American people and we and Olivia and Fits have finally maybe tired out slightly, but they're going to clean themselves up from all those.
Speaker 3: Juices and.
Speaker 4: They're gonna They're in Olivia's shower and it's so beautiful to see Carrie's hair wet, Olivia's hair wet and curly, and they both have no makeup and they are both in the shower and they both just look at each other and he says hi and she says hi.
Speaker 1: Oh man. We also we we we forgot to mention that pop up hope pops up in this episode to remember, oh.
Speaker 3: I got well.
Speaker 4: We learn also before the sex montage, really quick, is that Charlie? We think Cyrus is the mole, but we the OPA team puts two and two together, like, holy shit, if Charlie was fucking that stenographer for her information on Defiance, then it's not linked to Cyrus.
Speaker 3: Cyrus Defiant, Yeah, Like who is Charlie working for? What is going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: And then we see fully figure out that he's been compromised. And then we see fully walking with the mystery man Joe Morton, and he's like, I think I've been compromised, and Joe Morton's like, well, don't kill anybody, just keep digging, and we're like.
Speaker 3: Who the fuck are these two shady motherfuckers?
Speaker 1: Fuck, So we don't know. Do you remember, Katie? I don't fucking remember. I'm like, damn, what happened. I don't remember who the fuck is is Charlie working for, Like, who's he doing this for?
Speaker 3: I think he's doing it for popa Poop.
Speaker 1: Doing it yeah, because he's he's succeed He's.
Speaker 3: Also I mean japis two twenty.
Speaker 4: We have two episodes left of season two, so I'm trusting the process that we are going to find out. But I think it's popa Pope. I could be completely wrong, but I think that it's popa Pope.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to find out soon enough.
Speaker 4: There are a couple fun ass facts from this episode. I was wondering this. The title of this episode comes from the phrase hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, which is so true, which itself is a paraphrase from a line in William Congreve's sixty ninety seven play called The Mourning Bride, in which the original line is heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman's scorn.
Speaker 1: You like it. It's very it's very uh, it's very sick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like, yeah, hell hath no fury like a woman scorned, which is Melly up and down this episode, and she is going to take everybody down with her. Oh read it tell me about the the tunnels beneath the White House.
Speaker 1: The tunnels beneath the White House. We see Cyrus going back and forth between Blairhouse and the White House via an empty tunnel. There are at least two such tunnel tunnels beneath the White House. The first tunnel, built during World War Two as a bomb shelter, leads the basement of the Treasury Building and eventually an unmarked exit on h Street. The other emerges onto the South Lawn. This is a lot of information, y'all. Yea where the president together get right, where the President can access his helicopter if needed. Oh shit, this is kind of dope. And there are rumors of tunnels connecting the White House to the Capitol, Oh shit, the Vice President, Residents Camp David, the Pentagon, and the Blair House where we see Melly in this episode. But these rumors are unsubstantiated, so we're not sure about him. But that's cool, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, this is cool too.
Speaker 4: There's also a multi level bunker beneath the North Lawn which was built after nine to eleven. Oh shit, good lord, there's tons of secret shit going on underneath the White House.
Speaker 3: Guys, before we go, we just have to do some.
Speaker 6: Gooka cuckoo cuckoo tweetweet cuckoo tweeteet tweet, little tweety tw tweet, little tweety tweet, little tweet tweet tweet tweet.
Speaker 3: That was my first dance recital when I was like four. Song he Rocks in the tree Tops song love to hear the Robin go tweet.
Speaker 4: Robin okay at Jay Robarts on May thir twenty thirteen, texted at Kerry Washington, nice gig you have there, smooching on at Scott Foley and at Tony Goldwyn. Hashtag you want earn me? Hashtag who is the mole? Hashtag as kttle. I mean, seriously, Carrie just had to fucking make out with both of them with two hotties now seven years.
Speaker 1: What a tough job, goddamn it. And then this queen, Miss Katie Lowe's tweeted hashtag gladiators. I wish I could have live tweeted last night's episode. First time I've missed one, and it sooked dying to know what you thought? Were you shooting during this time?
Speaker 3: Probably right, we's have been shooting.
Speaker 1: Why would I have missed whenever we don't lie, we didn't live tweeted, it's because we were on set shooting.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, bye s Marie Bailey, who we know well?
Speaker 4: Dot dot dot The big question now besides when they'll be back in the shower dot dot dot is hashtag who is the mole?
Speaker 3: Good night? Hashtag gladiators. Yeah, when will they be back in the show? Damn that shit was so high?
Speaker 1: Hmm. Then another newbieing queen, Miss Carrie Washington, tweeted, she was replying to somebody she said, can we please roar for our director slash potus at Tony Goldwyn? How great was that episode? Retweet, we tweet, we tweet retweet hashtags scandal. She was given props to Tony Goldwin. Of course he's their stylar.
Speaker 4: Jib fucking Sarah McGee's writing and Tony Goldwin's directing on this was fucking insane at Kevin Costly on May second, twenty thirteen, tweeted, I love how at Bellamy Young can make me hate Melly one minute and then break my heart the next. Hashtag ass scandal hashtag scandal so.
Speaker 1: True, so true scandal Obsessed tweeted best part of tonight watching Fits and Olivia finally enjoy one another after years of angst. Hashtag scandal, hashtag ass scandal, hell yeah so hot?
Speaker 4: Last one at o T Jay wanna underscore k hashtag scandal. ABC teaches us that lust is a powerful thing. It may imitate love, but it is not love. Hashtag live end fits.
Speaker 1: What's that live and Fits? I think she tried to do live and fits, but in sort of a you know, a cool sort of.
Speaker 4: Abbreciated with It's been a minute since I've had, like really gotten with the Twitter like lingo, lingo.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 4: Next up, we have episode to twenty one, which was titled any Questions Episode two twenty one.
Speaker 3: Do you remember anything that happened to Katie?
Speaker 1: You know what's funny When I saw that any Questions? I thought, oh shit, are they as like, is our producer asking us if we have any questions about to twenty one? It was called any Questions? Oh shit, I have no idea what the fuck that episode was about.
Speaker 3: I was called any questions unless anybody have any questions?
Speaker 4: But holy shit, we are We are gearing up for the last two episodes of season two of Unpacking the Toolbox.
Speaker 1: And God, this has been It feels like it's flown by like it was. It's been so exciting and so much fun. I can't wait till next season.
Speaker 2: Me.
Speaker 1: We ain't even done with this.
Speaker 3: One, I know, And I can't wait to see who the fuck Charlie is working for?
Speaker 4: Who the f mole is? What happens now that the whole country knows it's just cheating on list?
Speaker 1: It fits? And Olivia gonna get back in that shower, Like these are important questions, y'all.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you want the answers and to hear all the behind the scenes hot gos, listen to Unpacking the Toolbox with Giero Diz and Katie Lows.
Speaker 1: And if you want to hear it in Spanish, is this ramienta that's unpacking. I'm gonna teach you how to say that by the end of this what we have like just a couple of more episodes, But by next season you're gonna you're gonna be able to say this Unpacking the Toolbox.
Speaker 3: How about this? Ask up, audios, gladioris I have to ask.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna call my mom later and ask her, how do you say gladiators in Spanish, I don't.
Speaker 3: Know gladios adios.
Speaker 1: And we love you. Bye bye. Thank you guys for joining us on Unpacking the Toolbox. If you enjoyed the show, please subscribe, share with your friends, rate, or leave us a review.
Speaker 4: Scandal is executive produced by Sandy Bailey, Alex Alcea, Lauren Homan, Tyler Klang, and Gabrielle Collins. Our producer and editor is Vince de Johnny, with music by Chad Fisher. Unpacking the Toolbox is a production of Shondaland Audio in partnership with iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from Shondaland Audio, visit the iHeartRadio app or anywhere you subscribe to your favorite shows.