Speaker 1: They did a CT scan, and my doctor he was like, this is maybe a fifty to fifty percent chance of survival.
Speaker 2: They finally like allowed me to let the kids in for one afternoon, and I just remember being like, I've got to take a bunch of pictures because I'm not sure if they're ever.
Speaker 3: Going to be able to see them again.
Speaker 4: If we don't get people the necessary treatment early on, it can impair your physical and mental health.
Speaker 5: I was in shock. Can I fight this? Can I beat this? Is this something that's going to just change my life completely? Like? Are these my last days?
Speaker 6: How terrifying would it be to fight an unknown enemy, one you didn't recognize and didn't see coming. What if that enemy was coming from within a disease but even doctors couldn't identify. Nearly half of all Americans suffer from some chronic illness, and many struggle for an accurate diagnosis. These are their stories. I'm Lauren Bribe Pacheco, and this is symptomatic. So tell me a little bit about you as a person beyond a husband and a dad. What are your favorite hobbies? What are your passions? What do you love to do?
Speaker 7: So?
Speaker 5: I love to sing, I love to dance.
Speaker 1: I used to play the cello and have on occasion brought out my cello.
Speaker 5: To practice a little bit.
Speaker 1: I love sports, particularly basketball, so I love to play basketball when I regular chance, as well as watch the NBAWA College basketball.
Speaker 6: Jerrod Green also loves sharing his passions for basketball and music with his four year old daughter and six year old son. What's your go to karaoke song?
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I've been trying to figure this out. I'm pretty down with anything R and B. You know, my favorite group of all time is voiced him In, so I often lean into them for music inspiration.
Speaker 5: I also love us here.
Speaker 6: A quintessential dad striving to be in the moment with his kids as much as possible. And even though he's now only thirty one years old, he has the calm and coolness of someone much older. Just ask his wife Courtney.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jerrod is like the king of chill, Like he is so relaxed, Like he's pretty much like an unshakable person. In college, everybody's like, oh yeah, he's definitely a pot and Girod is actually like stone cold, sober, straight edge by choice. He just brings that like ultra calm presence to anything that he does, but also like the most compassionate, caring person, so he got a social work degree, has worked in higher ed, cares so much about his students and the people that he's served in the past, and now does like diversity work for children and family services.
Speaker 3: So like everything that he.
Speaker 2: Does is just like with that servant heart.
Speaker 6: Courtney and Girod have been together since high school, both growing up in Minnesota. They first noticed each other at a Crosstown football game and instantly became friends. That friendship quickly turned into dating and prom and eventually into a lifelong partnership.
Speaker 1: She's my best friend. I feel like I can talk to her about anything, go through with anything which is really meaningful, and I'm glad that our relationship is built on that.
Speaker 6: And Grod would undoubtedly need that support as a mysterious disease turns his life upside down in the span of just a couple of months. By the middle of twenty twenty, at the height of the COVID pandemic, Drod started feeling new sensations that he'd never recognized in his body before. All of his instincts warned him that something was wrong. Will you tell me the first time that you realized you had something that you would have categorized as a symptom.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it was gradual.
Speaker 1: I would say that my experience with symptoms is very hindsight. In the moment, it wasn't like, oh, there's something really wrong with me. At least at the beginning stages. I had allergies, or what presented as allergies, you know, stuffy, I was coughing a lot, my throat was itchy, and so I just took allergy medications hoping that it would go away.
Speaker 6: At the time, Drod did live in South Carolina, where allergies were a pretty regular thing for him. I tried brushing it off that the symptoms would linger.
Speaker 1: After a few weeks, things hadn't really improved, and so that's when I started thinking, you know, there's something going on here. I don't know what it is, but usually when I have allergies, they're gone after about a week. So now that it's been several weeks, I tried switching allergy medication to see if that would help. It didn't, and actually things started to get worse. My appetite was starting to wane a little bit. That's when I was like, you know what, I need to probably talk to someone about what's going on.
Speaker 6: Amidst the consistent coughing and congestion. Girod was also juggling being a father of two young kids, studying for his doctorate, and working a strenuous full time job. You're in school, you are working incredibly long hours to provide for the growing family that you have. There was a lot on your plate. And how does that impact the time you take for yourself and your health?
Speaker 5: What time?
Speaker 1: I guess that's how I answer that question is there wasn't time. I wasn't taking care of myself. I wasn't taking care of my health. I was really just in autopilot's survival mode. I did the basic minimum to stay afloat and stay alive, and that was my main focus was I'm going to eat lunch because it's something I need to do.
Speaker 2: Just shortly before he got sick, he was like up in the morning, leaving for work at work, would finish work, was doing a student activity or something until seven, and then needs to go to class and doesn't get home until ten thirty and all throughout that time, like I'm trying to text him, like, hey, don't forget to eat something. Hey, are you like drinking any water? You know, just like the self.
Speaker 3: Care was just not present because he was so so busy.
Speaker 6: What's going on in terms of your personal, professional, and world? Yeah at the time that your symptoms are getting worse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so personal.
Speaker 1: I think it's the culmination of work, stress, being in a PhD program, family, and really trying to balance all of those things. Another piece is the diagnosis of type two diabetes and having that weird sensation of slurring of words and feeling unwell. And then in February of twenty twenty one, my dad was also diagnosed with type two diabetes. And he found this out because he got COVID and was admitted into the ICU for about two and a half weeks, and he got really sick in the ICU, and they were thinking that they would have to put him in a medically induced coma. And I know that so many people don't wake up from.
Speaker 5: Those things, and so.
Speaker 1: I think the stress of my dad having in near death experience was also taking its toll.
Speaker 2: It was really difficult for everyone. And then I'm at home with two small kids, trying to support my in laws who are going through this giant health issue as well, and it's just like layers, layers, layers, layers, layers, and on top of that, were like trying to ever eat a meal as a family in a calm way, or like trying to ever just get time together he and I and remember where we come from, right, Like, this is such a cool, beautiful love story. But when you're like in the thick of all this weird stuff, it's hard to remember that.
Speaker 6: His dad would recover from this life threatening battle with COVID, but it was a harsh reminder of how little time there can be left with the ones you love. The stress triggers continued to pile on Girad. At this point, he was working vigorously in the Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion for the Minnesota Court Systems.
Speaker 5: At the time.
Speaker 1: With my job, they were overseeing a very high profile trial related to the murder of George Floyd, and up until that point, I hadn't seen any videos, I hadn't seen any surrounding information. I tried to keep some distance because that imagery of black people being brutally murdered or experiencing violence is one that I tried to avoid and working for that organization. It was hard, and instead of processing my own feelings, emotions and pain around it, I was helping other people do that for themselves.
Speaker 6: He couldn't get away from work because his work was front page, headline news.
Speaker 3: Every single day. Every single day.
Speaker 2: We had like a small bedroom that he had a desk shoved in the corner, so like court TV was just on in our bedroom all day long. And then trying to just like be a person on the planet still where this is all that anybody's talking about, between this trial and COVID and everything else.
Speaker 6: Under the suffocating stressors, drawed symptoms would quickly begin to escalate. In addition to the shortness of breath and sore throat, he was now having trouble keeping food down, and he would wake up in the middle of the night struggling to catch his breath. When did you decide this isn't normal, I'm going to the doctor exactly.
Speaker 1: I actually did doctor and Demand a couple of times and consulted with them, and at that time, they would often prescribe steroids or antibiotics to see if that would help, because they're thinking, you know, something's wrong, maybe I have post nasal drip. I also got an inhaler with them because this is about the time where I was having some issues with breathing and having a lot of shortness of breath, especially at night. So then I called them again. They prescribed another round of steroids and antibiotics, and then we're like, you should follow up with your primary care doctor. And when I did, they gave me more steroids and we're like, we don't really know what's going on.
Speaker 6: I should imagine that it was just masking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the real issue, absolutely and probably worsting the issue as well. You know, it was a few weeks after that where I had to just leave work.
Speaker 5: You know, I couldn't really eat anything.
Speaker 1: My head was hurting, and I was just down in that moment, and so that's when my wife was like, something's wrong, Like you need to go to the emergency room. I think in that moment, I was just thinking, what's happening? Am I going to feel this way forever? What does this even mean? Like what is this coming from? And so there's just a lot of questions about my physical health.
Speaker 6: So what happened once you got to the er.
Speaker 1: They did a basic metabolic panel, saw that my members weren't astronomically in the the yellow or the red, and we're pretty much just like, we don't really know what's happening with you. So I guess follow up with your primary care, but you know, there's not really much we can do for you.
Speaker 5: So I went back home.
Speaker 1: And so I think that it was just a combination of acute situations that were happening in that moment and then just a lifetime of you know, trauma, stress, racism, poverty, and other factors that I think really created this perfect storm. And that's just how my body reacted.
Speaker 6: Jerrad couldn't keep up with the symptoms, which kept piling up. He had very little appetite. Normal everyday activities like playing basketball with his son were now becoming nearly impossible. Time his breathing problems worsened to the point where he could barely sleep, if at all. So what wound you back up in the er again? A few weeks later? What's going on?
Speaker 1: We're living in an apartment at that time, and my parents were coming by to have a cookout with us, and so I was still not feeling great, but I felt a little bit better that day, so I was able to go down to the area by the pool where our shared grill space was and sat in one of the chairs with my family.
Speaker 2: And then by the time he got there, he was just like slumped over and just like could not catch his breath.
Speaker 1: That walk felt very tenuous, like I struggled a lot, and it wasn't that far of a walk, like strew me.
Speaker 5: Out of breath. I didn't feel well.
Speaker 1: We had some Beyond burgers and I think I ate half of one of those burgers and maybe a couple of chips, and I was able to get it all down. So I thought that things were improving and going better. And then I remember, maybe thirty minutes later, feeling horribly, so I went and laid down.
Speaker 2: I had to drive him like the half of block it was from the barbecue pit area back home.
Speaker 5: It didn't get better, and then I ended up throwing up the food.
Speaker 3: Gerad was like the persistent optimist.
Speaker 2: So for him to be saying like I don't know, I just don't think it's going to get better, worried it's going to be like this forever.
Speaker 3: This is just not typical.
Speaker 2: He has like a nickname that he's the quixotic one, like the one that's just painfully optimistic, almost to the point that it's nonsensical.
Speaker 1: That's when my wife and my parents were like, all right, I think you need to go back.
Speaker 8: To the er.
Speaker 6: Rush to an er. The fearful couple was at the end of their rope managing Jirod's symptoms without a proper diagnosis.
Speaker 2: His blood oxygen started to decrease, his heart rate was increasing. We were not seeing any improvements.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 2: Thing was getting better. It was only getting worse. I just came with like an agenda of things that I wanted tested for. I was like, is this an autoimmune issue? Are we talking about lupus? What's going on with why he feels like he can't get a good breath? Is there something going on with his lungs? Can we do a scan of his lungs?
Speaker 6: Courtney was prepared to advocate for Jirod, something he was in no condition to do himself. But even as they scrambled to make an action plan, which was complicated by the fact that they were in the middle of the pandemic, the doctors felt like there may not be much time left for him.
Speaker 2: They finally like, allowed me to let the kids in for one afternoon, and I just like remember being like, I've got to take a bunch of pictures of this because I'm not sure if we're ever like if they're ever going to be able to see him again because it's COVID, so like they're making a one time exception for them to come in and see him.
Speaker 6: But how are you keeping a brave face with him? How are you?
Speaker 2: I just left the room a lot, like I would just be like, Okay, I'm gonna grab some snacks, weir bit, you know, And what would you do in the hallway just sobbing. I would go to the little chapel that they had there. We have a Christian faith, and I would just sit there and be like, what's going on?
Speaker 3: Like, we've answered your call.
Speaker 2: We are taking care of this family just as we feel we've been called to do.
Speaker 3: And now now what.
Speaker 6: With Courtney's fierce advocacy, the doctors finally do a CT scan, which would hold the necessary clues as to what was causing Drod's rapid health decline.
Speaker 1: So when I finally got the CT scan, I mean nothing could have prepared me for what information would come back from that.
Speaker 6: We'll be right back with Symptomatic a medical mystery podcast.
Speaker 10: Hi I'm Cindi lauper My scalp was covered with psoriasis, which could lead to soiatic arthritis, but Cocentics treats both.
Speaker 8: Cocentics at U canyon Mab is prescribed for adults with moderate to severe black soris as three hundred milligram dose and adults with active sooriatic arthritis one hundred fifty milligram dose. Don't use if you're allergic to cocentics. Before starting, get checked for TB, serious allergic reactions, severe skin reactions that look like exima, and an increased risk of infections. Some fatal have occurred. Cocentics may lower ability to fight infections, so tell your doctor if you have an infection or symptoms like fevers, sweats, chills, muscle leggs or cough out a vaccine or plant to or if IBD symptoms developer wors. Learn more at cothentics dot com or one eight four to four concentics.
Speaker 10: Couthentics works for me.
Speaker 8: Ask your doctor about concentics.
Speaker 6: Now back to Symptomatic, a medical mystery podcast. Jerrod Green approached most of what life through at him with a smile juggling a full life at work and his PhD studies and at home as a proud husband and father, but rapidly the symptoms of a perplexing condition landed him in the emergency room, hoping to find answers before it was too late. What were your biggest fears in those moments?
Speaker 2: There are so many fears that are so layered. It's like what are we doing here right? Like is he going to have to stop working? And my persistent fear is like what are we going to do to get him the care that he needs?
Speaker 6: Through fear and confusion of her own, Courtney continued to show up for Girod when he needed it most, pushing for answers until the doctors found the clue they were looking for. On a CT scan, they found that part of Grod's spleen had died off because of a blood clot. Seeing the blood clot led the doctors to order an echo cardiogram to get a better picture of the.
Speaker 1: Heart, and that's when they found that I had not only a reduced objection fraction, but also enlargement within my heart as well. And that's when the doctor later came in and diagnosed me.
Speaker 5: With congestive heart failure.
Speaker 1: I didn't know anyone with heart failure or even heart disease. I didn't really know what heart failure meant to me. It's such a dooming term to call it heart failure, like my heart has failed, and that means maybe I'm not going to make it out of this.
Speaker 2: As doctor said, you have heart failure. It's very significant, it's very severe. Your heart is almost non functional, and it's really bad. So we think we should transfer you to Greenville, which is like the next biggest town. I'm just sitting there, silent, crying, trying to ask questions about like the practical reality about what that means. Because you're saying heart failure, I don't know what that means. That doesn't mean anything to me.
Speaker 1: You know, my doctor at the time, who's not a heart failure specialist, he's like, this is maybe a fifty to fifty percent chance of survival and that you probably should start looking into long term disability and maybe look to stop working because this is going to be a long road for you.
Speaker 6: I can't imagine how frightening and difficult that must have been. It must have been like waking up into a nightmare.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so at the time I was in the hospital thinking, you know, is this going to get better?
Speaker 5: Can I fight this? Can I beat this?
Speaker 1: Is this something that's going to just change my life completely? Am I not going to make it out of the hospital? Like are these my last days? And so it was really tough and stressful time, and part of me was in shock, and part of me, I feel, couldn't even bring myself to process that information.
Speaker 2: And I was like, how how are you feeling? And he was like, I just don't even really know. And that was like the first time I saw him cry in the whole process. And I just don't think there's anything worse that could have been said to Jerrod, like this devoted husband and father than like fifty fifty chicks.
Speaker 6: After terrifying months of uncertainty, Jerrod and Courtney finally had a name for the disease that had flipped their lives upside down, congestive heart failure, But they were still left with many unanswered questions For people who don't know, Can you just break down, by definition exactly what congestive heart failure is? Yeah, so our heart has many different things it does. I often talk about it as plumbing which is the artery is that's where we have heart attacks. And then we have electricity, which is the way our heart beats, and then we have the structure of our heart, and that's where congestive heart failure comes in. That's doctor Courtney Jordan Beckler, the medical director of Health Equity and health Promotion at the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation.
Speaker 4: So, when the blood goes into the heart and then comes out, the percentage of blood that goes in versus going out, that's called our ejection fraction, and that's really the pump of the heart. Fifty five percent of that blood volume is what we consider normal.
Speaker 6: That's a normal functioning heart.
Speaker 4: So it's something you don't want less and you don't want more, and so there's all sorts of definitions, but for sure, less than forty five percent is when we start to classify mild heart failure. It's more severe at thirty five percent, and then very severe at twenty five percent, and under is more advanced heart failure.
Speaker 6: How can can just a heart failure impact people's lives? Heart failure if we don't do anything.
Speaker 4: About it, on average, fifty percent of people will die in five years.
Speaker 6: And so it's a big deal.
Speaker 4: It can be an end stage process in terms of death if we don't get people the necessary treatment early on, and I think importantly to many of these conversations, it can impair your physical and mental health.
Speaker 6: Are there things about his specific case also, just in terms of his age that might have made a quicker diagnosis more difficult? What stuck out as unusual? Yeah, really great question.
Speaker 4: I think that because Girod is a little bit younger, we often think about heart disease impacting people only when they get old, incorrectly. In fact, you know, one of the fastest growing demographics of heart attacks is women aged thirty five to forty five, which a lot of people don't know. But the point being, some of these types of statistics take a long time for physicians to start to pick up on and see that, gosh, we're seeing Unfortunately some of these diagnoses at younger and younger ages. So I do think unfortunately that was one of the challenges with Drod's diagnosis, is that had he been older, we would have been more likely to think of that faster. It's definitely not an excuse, but I think that is a reality.
Speaker 6: Gerard was only twenty nine years old when he was diagnosed with co est of heart failure, unusually young for someone to experience such significant cardiac issues. He was put on a regiment of medicines and also given a life fest, a defibrillator he needs to wear constantly in case his heart has to be shocked back into a normal rhythm. Though he had an answer for what had been plaguing him in many ways, his diagnosis only opened the door to a host of new questions.
Speaker 1: What does this mean for my life and my family? If I do have a fifty to fifty percent chance, does that mean I'm not going to make it? And if not, what's going to happen to my family at that point?
Speaker 6: Wow? And I mean talk about an undiagnosed illness and enemy from within? How did you feel about your own heart, about your own body in that moment?
Speaker 1: I guess I just was thinking what did I do to fail my body?
Speaker 5: Or what did my body do to fail me?
Speaker 1: And it's hard to not think, you know, what's wrong with my heart?
Speaker 5: Like why did.
Speaker 1: This happen to me? Is it because of something I did? Or the ways I'm not taking care of myself? And in some ways I think that I wasn't set up or positioned well in a lot of different arenas to do that. But I think that I had a lot of self blame. I was like, how did I let it get to this?
Speaker 6: At this point, you at least had the life fest to have you though.
Speaker 1: The life fest it was helpful, but it's not perfect either. It would beep in the middle of the night and I'd have to readjust it. The first time that it beat was terrifying because it's like, oh no, it's something happening.
Speaker 5: You know. Ended up just being that the pads just need to be shifted.
Speaker 1: But it was also just hard to live life with this, you know, five pound battery pack attached to my body at all times.
Speaker 6: His kids were only two and four when he was diagnosed, so much of their lives are ahead of them. The gravity of what this meant for his life was constantly on his mind for a new normal is what led him to the Minnesota Hard Institute and his relationship with doctor Jordan Beckler. Where was he in his diagnostic journey when he first cross paths with you?
Speaker 4: So he had already been formally diagnosed and was actively on his treatment plan, but I think he was in a place where he was able to kind of look back and think about how things might have been different in his journey with different additional help and opportunities along the way from the health system. So I think from a traditional treatment perspective, he was getting what he needed, But what he was specifically reaching.
Speaker 6: Out to us about is some of the social support.
Speaker 4: We can't disconnect our head from our body. We are whole human beings, and unfortunately, as I'm sure many of your listeners know, sometimes in the way healthcare is practice now, we do that. So I think that what Gerard was looking for in part was that it took I believe seven months for him to hear back from a social worker and just navigating different changes in his life that he was planning to make with work and family and figuring out what that looked like living with a chronic disease.
Speaker 6: I think that was what he was hoping to get more of.
Speaker 1: So she's very steeped into heart failure and health as relates to women, people of color, and also thinking about the environmental factors that impact people's health. She's really just been a great thought partner and is a leader in this space and someone who I have been able to go to get feedback, ideas, recommendations, and just general insight into better understanding heart failure.
Speaker 6: More deeply, how important as a doctor is taking into account the environment, mental factors, and stressors that a patient is dealing with on a daily basis.
Speaker 9: So it's critical we know that up to a third of all cardiovascular disease is caused from poor mental health, and that includes things like social isolation, anger, stress, anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder, you know, schizophrenia, really severe types of mental health.
Speaker 4: So it's actually as much of an impact as having abdominal obesity or smoking, But we don't talk about it in the same way as physicians, as healthcare folks in general, and unfortunately, because we don't have a pill for that, we get nervous to ask. But to what you're saying, it's critical that we understand that has an impact not only on the ability of the body to adequately fight disease, whether it's COVID or ongoing heart issues, but it also impacts our ability to take medications on a routine basis, our ability to get outside and go for a walk, or nourish ourselves with good foods.
Speaker 6: Navigating proper health management can be a journey all on its own, one that rivaled even the treacherous road to the proper diagnosis. However, finding empowering care and support is what truly changed the course of Girod's life. He now has found a place and people who are there to help him take care of his mind, body, and spirit.
Speaker 2: We've talked about, like maybe we want to move out of the freezing, bitter cold someday, and it's like, no, we're not going to leave the Minneapolis Heart Institute. Like this is where we are. We have such an amazing team, and like we just feel so so lucky. Not everybody has health insurance, not everybody has the resources that they need to access that, but like it's such an amazing place and I hope that everybody that needs it can have it.
Speaker 6: Girrod has now started to find a relatively stable pattern in his life. He switched from the life best to an internal defibrillator called an ICD, making it much easier and more comfortable to move around. He's also realized how lonely this diagnostic journey felt at times. Even though he did have so much family support, he was missing the connection to people who were going through a similar journey to talk with and to share with. So Girod is now using his story to make sure no one else with heart failure has to be missing that important piece. When did you realize that you needed to connect with a larger community? When did you realize that you needed support from other people who were going through what you now had on your plate.
Speaker 1: As a black person who very much believes and community as part of our healing process. It was part of our journey, as part of how we raise kids. It's not just about medications and limiting sodium and water intake and working out. It's about community, it's about joy, It's about healing with other people. And this is something that's true about my community in general, is that if there's a space that doesn't.
Speaker 5: Exist for us, we're going to create a space.
Speaker 4: That's what I did, and I don't know if Gerrod explained that to you. That's part of when we met was in this quest to start a support group. Now, I've been a part of support group since my time in Fellowship, particularly because we have so many disparities with women heart disease, and so I helped lead a support group at that time.
Speaker 1: It's been great. And as much as I think that maybe I've helped people, they've helped me as well. So I think that I've stepped into this whole new world of not only DEI work, but advocacy, health equity. There's a world out there of research and things that people are understanding about the physiological impacts of racism, stress, poverty on communities, and particularly black communities. And I think that society tells us that our outcomes are our fault and our fault alone. Now I'm thinking about not only how do I maintain my own health, but how do I help other folks have access to better care so that if they are at risk or experience heart failure, that they can get the level of care that I got and the level of support that I got.
Speaker 6: The same King of Chill, eternal optimist and constant rock of support for Courtney, is now giving his energy to make sure other people don't have to wait as long to find a diagnosis or community with shared experiences. This drive pushed Drawd to start posting about his journey on Instagram.
Speaker 1: And I remember my wife and sister were just talking about how ever, since I was with heart failure, I have like these really critical and direct hot takes. I think that we kind of joked around like heart Failure hot takes, and I was like, you know what, this is actually kind of cool. We should do something with this. And from there I created the Instagram page heart Failure hot Takes as a way really to share my story and in some ways it was about community, but in a lot of ways it was just therapeutic for me to share.
Speaker 4: Gerard is definitely somebody that is living his life. He is thriving, He's living alongside his diagnosis. He has definitely not become his diagnosis. Also, he is out trying to make this easier for other people. I just, both personally and professionally, have so much respect for that.
Speaker 1: And the last thing that I will say is take the time to appreciate and show gratitude for yourself and for others in your life, because it's hard to do this without.
Speaker 5: Any of that.
Speaker 1: And the more gratitude and compassionate you show yourself and to others, the easier this becomes as well.
Speaker 2: The hope that I have for everyone is that they know that they're allowed to advocate for themselves. I think so often we kind of get that white coat syndrome, not just with our own stress around medical providers, but just about you know where our agency lies. Don't be afraid to keep asking questions. Don't be afraid to ask them to note it in your chart that they are declining your request for a test to be run like that is within your right to want the best for.
Speaker 3: Yourself and the people that you love.
Speaker 6: You can follow Girod's journey with heart failure on Instagram at heart Failure Hot Takes.
Speaker 1: My name is Gerrod Green and I was twenty nine years old when I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure.
Speaker 6: On the next episode of Symptomatic Chris Thaudi had a simple case of indigestion, but things quickly became unmanageable, losing control of his GI flares. No intervention could seem to ease his suffering.
Speaker 11: I drove myself to the hospital, to the emergency room in a sheer panic because I was worried if I called the ambulance, you know, they wouldn't get there in time or whatever. And I had never felt anything like that before, pain radiating from everywhere. That's essentially what it felt like.
Speaker 6: Uncover what sent his body into a full allergic spiral symptomatic. A Medical Mystery podcast is a production of Ruby's Studio from iHeartMedia. Our show was hosted by me Lauren brad Pacheco. Executive producers are Matt Romano and myself. Our EP of post production is James Foster. Our producers are Sierra Kaiser and John Irwin, and this episode was researched by Diana Davis.
Speaker 7: In Trusto Sukubatu Valsartan Tablets is the number one heart failure brand prescribed by cardiologists and has helped over one million people. It's a prescription medicine that treats adults with long lasting heart failure and works better when the heart cannot pump a normal amount of blood to the body.
Speaker 12: Don't take in Trusto if pregnant. It can cause harm or death to an unborn baby. Don't take in Trusto with an ACE inhibitor or Alice Karen, or if you've had angioedema with an ACE or ARB, don't take with Alice Karen or within thirty six hours of taking an ACE inhibitor. The most serious side effects are angioedema, low blood pressure, kidney problems, or high blood potassium Angioedema is swelling of your face, lips, tongue, and throat that may cause death. If it causes difficulty breathing, get emergency help.
Speaker 7: Ask your doctor about Intrusto. To learn more, visit support dot intrusto dot com or call eight three three four four six six six nine nine. Propricing visit in TRUSTe dot com. Backslash cost. If you can't afford your medication, Novartis may be able to help