Speaker 1: Okay, let's you know.
Speaker 2: What's sitting right next to me is the lube that you got me for my birthday?
Speaker 1: Ah? Did you use it? No, she's Sheen.
Speaker 2: I'm me, No me not my name?
Speaker 1: Yo?
Speaker 3: What is your childhood?
Speaker 1: I have a show you life's going down before?
Speaker 4: Like you so round?
Speaker 2: Hey, Virgins is listening to us for an hour every week? Simply not enough? Well, you can get bonus content by becoming a patron at patreon dot com slash Like a Virgin. We do weekly bonus episodes. Currently we're doing recaps of and just like that on Fridays, and we have lots of fun additional bonus content in the work. So become a patron at patreon dot com slash Like a Virgin.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Like a Virgin, the show where we give yesterday's pop culture today's takes. I'm Fran Torato, I'm Rose Daumu and I heard that you went to the theater this weekend?
Speaker 1: Rose? Did you not the movie theater?
Speaker 2: I went to the movie theater last Thursday. Last Thursday, I saw Talk to Me on Thursday, which is oh, a twenty four horror film. It's sort of taking the world by storm. People are saying it's, you know, the scariest movie of the year, and they haven't been scared so much since Hereditary, and I'm here to say that they're carrying a bit okay, because it's a it's a good movie. I have a lot of fun, but it was not that scary and nothing about it is as disturbing as Hereditary was. But it is a scary movie. So I will I'll give you, like a a little brief synopsis.
Speaker 3: Comparing something to Hereditary really is setting yourself up for failure, honestly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So Talk to Me is an Australian horror movie. It's an A twenty four movie. It's about this girl, this high school girl who's you know, still sort of grieving the loss of her mother. And she goes to a party and there's a new party game that all the kids are playing in which they take the hand of a psychic that has been cast in clay and they put their hand in it and they talk to me and then they are possessed by a spirit and they do this for ninety seconds to get a sort of rush of euphoria like a drug. If yes, like a drug. It's much like when I was in middle school and used to choke yourself and make yourself pass out to like get high, and then everyone did that for three weeks, and I think some people got suspended because of it. But so so, the whole thing is that if you go for longer than ninety seconds, then the ghosts don't want to leave. So it's very ooky, spooky, and of course things go awry and lots of shenanigans happen. And what I will say is it's a very clever premise for a horror movie. There are some good little scares. I mean, some parts of it were genuinely like kind of disturbing. I thought the acting was really good. It was funny, it was fun It was a good movie theater experience. That being said, I don't think I can take another horror movie that is a meditation on grief, you know, Like I get like horror movies, especially when you're brushing up against you know, like ghosts or spirits like of like, it makes a lot of sense to use characters who are dealing with grief, and this and the grief in this film like really dry the action of the movie because this girl is sort of tricked into believing she's talking to the spirit of her dead mother, and that causes a lot of the bad things in the film to happen. But I don't know, filmmakers, pick something else to meditate on in your horror movies that's not grief. The friend who I saw this movie with, who I think listens to this podcast, he will remember that the last horror movie we saw together before this movie was also a meditation on grief, which one was that The Boogeyman. It was also about a family where the mom was dead, and you know, they were like dealing with the fallout from it. So it's like, come, I know that I get it, and I know that a lot of horror media is driven by death and people dealing with death and grief. But I don't know, can you come up with something else?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think, But I did really like I did really like it. I just, you know, don't think it was amazing, but it was very fun and there was some sort of like trans mask non binary character in it, which way, it's a good it's a good year for that. Between this movie and Evil Dead Rise, which did you were you awake when we watched Evil Dead Rise?
Speaker 3: On that was the only movie that I got all the way through. Wow, the other one, I'm so depressed by you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. You do have a tendency too.
Speaker 2: In any group setting of more than I would say, three people watching a movie, you're making it through maybe the first act.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: But Evil Dead Rise I made it through, and I was constantly wondering about that non binary character. And well, Evil Dead Rise is also only an hour and a half long, as was this movie, which I read that I'm really happy that the ninety minute horror movie is back in vogue, because you know that, I don't think any movie should be longer than ninety minutes. Even though I loved Oppenheimer and loved that it was three hours long and d Avatar, I still would have taken a ninety minute cut of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Same, wait, is to you like if Talk to Me isn't like the horror movie of the year, Is there anything you've seen that would be?
Speaker 2: I think Evil Dead Rise was the horror movie of my year so far, just because it was.
Speaker 3: I had so much fun watching it. I'm looking to see if there's anything.
Speaker 1: I guess.
Speaker 3: Scream also came out this year. Technically, I'm looking to see if there's.
Speaker 1: Any dream was not the horror movie of the year, It was not.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to see if there's anything that we're anticipating later this year that would potentially be it, But.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I am currently watching a horror series that I can't talk about, but it is really good and it's scratching that itch. And Okay, are you feeling the This probably is not something that's happening in real life and is truly more about my TikTok algorithm, but are you feeling it all the very early transition into fall and by extension, spooky season, because I've been getting served a lot of it's spooky season is coming content like as soon as it was August first. That's not my algorithm, which is hilarious. But I will say across the board. Ever since you know, we got halfway through July, people are like, summer is over. Summer is over, which is.
Speaker 3: Slander Okay, like it stays hot through September. We have like the October yeah, and we have like the the equinox or whatever, it's the equinox when the equinox.
Speaker 2: Also today in New York it's it is rainy and a little a little chilly outside.
Speaker 1: I liked that though, No, me too. I absolutely love that. Yeah, I like.
Speaker 3: I mean, that's honestly why I woke up so early. It's like the rain was coming down, and I think my body has like rain rainfold.
Speaker 2: I though I this weekend because this was so much in my TikTok algorithm, and also I was hibernating this weekend and still am following getting laser hair removal last week right in.
Speaker 1: My hermit era.
Speaker 2: You know that that led to this sort of desire to becomey and cozy and watching potentially spooky movies. Although I literally found myself googling good spooky movies to watch in August, which is like shy ah, there is some kind of brain rot that I'm like, think there's gonna be some kind of perfect answer to that.
Speaker 1: I slipped away like a bottle of blood. That's really good.
Speaker 2: I did end up watching The Wizard of Oz on Saturday before me, not because spooky, but because I follow this TikTok creator who is a Wizard of Oz collector, oh and only content about the Wizard of Oz and Wizard of Oz adjacent media like Wicked and you like the creator. Oh, I love her. I'm obsessed with her. I watch every single TikTok she posts. Her name is the oz vlog and I love her content and I watch all of it. And I it did lead me to buy a McDonald's toy from the nineties of a Madame Alexander Wicked Witch of the West doll.
Speaker 1: And how much was that McDonald's toy?
Speaker 3: It was ten dollars A steal dolls be on eBay for cheat by the way, I honestly it's it's a worthwhile hobby.
Speaker 1: Have you collected anything recently? No, just I have two. I have two dolls.
Speaker 3: Now I guess I have some Brats dolls as well, so I technically have foury too.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Wait, I have to tell you and the Virgins. I recently acquired a toy that I have talked about on this podcast, and it was the Crone, the crones hollow action figure that infamously we know we talked about. I when I received it for Hanka one year, took it out of the box and put it back in the box, taped it shut, wrapped it so I could open it again. I bought one on eBay and now she is. It's a little disappointing because like the whole selling point of the action figures that you're supposed to be able to pull a tendril of hair in the back of her head and snake eyes would pop out, which like, that's what I do when I'm hanging out with a sexy am I right, but I think the toy is like a little too old for that function to work that well. Okay, but she does look great on my mantle, and I think, actually, maybe that's gonna be somewhat of the thematic link of my collection is like getting like witchy toys because I have her. I have a Willow action figure from Buffy, right, then I have my little Mermaid dolls, mantle Mermaid dolls and toys. But yeah, I did find myself on eBay this weekend looking up like vintage Halloween decorations and also like t shirts like the kind you would buy at the Hallmark store with like a Teddy Bear in a witch's hat.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's just kind of where I'm at.
Speaker 3: I love that for you, not my algorithm, but like, hey, I'm buckled in for spooky season. You can bet that like a virgin LLC. I mean, Loretta LLC is gonna be absolutely doing something for spooky seasons.
Speaker 1: So we'll be doing a Halloween spook tacular.
Speaker 3: Spooktacular. I can't believe that we're already doing it again.
Speaker 2: And maybe maybe taking it on the road.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so keep on the lookout. Wait, so what's going on with you? Otherwise? You know you're like, there's something wrong with your foot? What else? What else is going on?
Speaker 3: I have like some sort of infected blister from being on Fire Island and walking on the boardwalk barefoot too many times.
Speaker 1: Babe, you can't do that. I know.
Speaker 3: I was wearing shoes for the most part, but I only brought two pair, which is a lot of restraint for me.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked.
Speaker 3: And then one of those pair was borrowed from a friend, so I didn't have I just was always barefoot. And yeah, anyways, long story short, I'm exhausted. All invasion took it the fuck.
Speaker 1: Out of me.
Speaker 3: I laid down for an uninterrupted three days, did not leave the house, didn't like. Yesterday was the first time I really went out since invasion, and like, what'd you do? I just went to Poppy Juice for a few hours and then left when my foot started to hurt more.
Speaker 1: But did you wear impractical shoes?
Speaker 3: Well, that depends on if you count the crop clog platforms that I sent you as in practical shoes.
Speaker 1: I do count those, don't they not have a sport mode drop?
Speaker 3: They don't, but they are much easier to walk in than the platform bay clause.
Speaker 1: Until you fall out of them. Well we'll see.
Speaker 3: I have yet to fall out of them, so yet there's still time. And yeah, no, I was really surprised by how actually comfortable those shoes are. But no, I'm not really up to anything. I've been reading poly secure. I've been balancing a budget for over a week, so I'm like sick of looking at spreadsheets. That's chasing expense expenses, chasing T shirt sizes like and then speaking of Polly.
Speaker 2: Secure virgins, fran is going to talk about it or or did talk about it on our most or on an upcoming or most recent Patreon up. I can't really keep the schedule my head. But just you know, another reminder to become a patron at patre on dot com slash like a virgin. We're now over five hundred patrons.
Speaker 3: Which is a huge deal. Like it is like just the small pledge of many people that make this something that we can actually not necessarily live off yet, but at the very least have a passive source of income so that we feel like we're being compensated for our work.
Speaker 1: So thank you, thank you, thank you so much for being a Patreon if you want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and also we just we we know that you just want to listen to us talk, so we're giving you more opportunities to do that.
Speaker 3: We honestly though, rose to be honest, like you and I are overdue for like an actual like a hang like.
Speaker 1: We know we do need to hang out this week.
Speaker 3: Well, the thing is Fire Island was like a like we binged each other.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Well I realized when I saw you on Friday when we recorded that I hadn't seen you since my birthday.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, but I was basically I went like straight back to Fire Island and was there for a while. So that's where I was gone to. Can we talk about Crappy Lake here?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm having so much fun with it.
Speaker 3: It's pretty good, right, Like I really was a hundred I'm as someone who's not a really big real housewives. Stan you yourself, you're like not a Real Housewives girly, but you are Sonya and Luan Gurly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they are top tier, like they are the a team of housewives. And putting that in the context of essentially the simple life, h is it just works really well for me. Also, I'm looking right now at my lease renewal that my management company sent me and they're raising my rent two hundred dollars. Oh girl, that's nothing compared to what everybody else I know. I know, but like it still galls me because raising it for what what have you given me? I think you can still honestly very well tell them that. I mean, the worst you can do that the least you can do is ask and be like, hey, I see the rent increase. I just want to know what you are doing as management to improve our circumstances to warrant this this rent right, because the thing is I have an ongoing issue at my apartment that still has not been solved. You should tell them that I have the buzzer button at the front buzzer for my apartment gets stuck and goes off in the middle of the night all the time, like all the time, and I have asked the maintenance people and the super to fix it so many times. And the last time I asked about it, they were like, oh, I guess we're gonna have to call the manufacturer.
Speaker 1: And I was like, so call them, Like what, what's not clicking? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I honestly, I'm just I'm someone who's just like always ask and if you have an okay relationship with your management.
Speaker 2: They only need never talk. I have ever interacted with them, well, I mean because it's like a big management company that manages multiple buildings and I've never interfaced with them.
Speaker 3: Well, there's like they only need a certain number of people to like accept the rent rise. Right, So if you come back to them and you say sorry, this is like unsolicited advice. If you go back to them and you just say, hey, like first time meeting, I plan to stay here for much longer, would you like, I don't understand. Can you help me understand what this rent rise is going toward considering the things that have not.
Speaker 1: Been improved upon.
Speaker 3: And honestly, they could just look at you and be like, we don't want to deal with this girl, and then just let you pay the same.
Speaker 2: Well, that's very generous of you to think they would gender me correctly. Yeah, I don't even the Realistically, I will probably just accept it, you know, like you don't want the headache. I don't want the headache. I don't want to have to send well because realistically, I think that if I I tried calling them or emailing them, they would just ignore me the way they did when I repeatedly asked after I moved in for a copy of my lease. And this is actually the first I've ever heard from them, was receiving this renewal in the mail.
Speaker 1: Ooh that's annoying, ye, but expected it's not going to happen. Yeah. New York, Am I right? New York? Am I right? Property ownership? Am I right? Ladies? Wow? Fuck that whatever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what helps me get through it is Katy Perry. The music of Katy Perry, which is what we're talking about today.
Speaker 1: That was such an amazing transition. Rose. I'm a professional podcaster, that's what you do.
Speaker 2: Maybe I can still remember where I was the first time I heard I Kissed a Girl by Katy Perry, and I was on a rock in Central Park. You know, one of the big rocks.
Speaker 1: On a rock, one of the big rocks and rock.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I don't know why I remember this so specifically, but I had been hearing about this, you know, new song that was taking the world by storm, which it was, and you know, I think I should say this as we start out this exploration of miss Catherine Hudson in her career.
Speaker 1: I am a Katie Cat. You are not friends.
Speaker 3: I am not a Katie Cat in the sense that I'm not actually that familiar with her discography, but I am familiar with her place in pop music on the record breaking level, and how she did kind of grow to become this perfect pop product that I think a lot of pop stars buyer too and wish they could pull off. I feel like in a lot of ways, Katy Perry was really in the right place at the right time. But honestly, to go back to I Kissed a Girl like, I mean, the reason you remember that moment is because the.
Speaker 1: Song is psychotic. The song is iconic.
Speaker 3: I put it on literally last week and it's still so good. Slap so hard, The little guitar riff is catchy as fuck. And you know, this probably wasn't your experience of it I don't really remember the first time I heard it, but I do remember just being like, oh, this like anthem to like godless Heathenism.
Speaker 2: By Katie Fairy, which is so funny because it is incredibly tame and grata, not even like at the at the moment, I do think there was sort of, you know, like a conservative fur about it promoting homosexuality, when in fact it is, if anything, promoting heterosexuality, yes, yes, very suresexual experience, yeah yeah, yeah, but yeah, I mean I guessed the girl like it's not it. It was the thing that launched her career in a way. But it's funny that of when we look back at Katie's career, even though she blew up in such an extreme way right at the beginning. And I do think one of the boys, her debut album is incredible, it is definitely not the thing she's most remembered for. Like the crystallization of Katy Perry is Teenage Dream, Teenage.
Speaker 3: Dream in that album, Yes, subsequent like seventeen singles that came from that Algo album.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most successful albums of all time. I believe it like beat some record that Michael Jackson held for the most singles from a single album on like the Billboard hotwit hundred.
Speaker 3: Argue that it by chart standards, it is the most successful album of all time, because yeah, it broke Michael Jackson's held record for the most number one singles.
Speaker 1: On an album.
Speaker 3: I honestly, you know, everybody knows who Katy Perry is. And by the way, forgive my very soul tree voice on this podcast because I I'm a little not under the weather, but I you know, party too hard this last weekend at Dull Invasion. But Katie Berry started out for the Virgins as a Christian music artist.
Speaker 1: Going by her her dead, her dead Catherine Hudson.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that was maybe not my introduction to her, but I remember learning.
Speaker 1: It wasn't anyone's introduction.
Speaker 3: But but but it was close because I remember when I kissed a girl came out and being me being like, who is this woman making Satanic music?
Speaker 1: At that time?
Speaker 3: I remember being I remember finding out very quickly because the circles I ran in that she used to be a Christian music artist and that was her. I believe she released one album as a Christian music artist, maybe to think so, and she at the time on top of being very religious as a consequence of her family, she also was dating my crush, my very first crush, Matt Teasen, who's the lead singer of the Christian rock music band Relying, Kay, did you know that?
Speaker 1: I did not know that.
Speaker 2: I only am sort of vaguely aware of Reliant K. I read that being jealous. I was like, how dare you?
Speaker 1: Makes sense? My man? And I think her.
Speaker 2: I've never listened to her Catherine Hudson music, but I know that it's very singer songwritery, and that does linger on in her pop music.
Speaker 1: Like One of the Boys is.
Speaker 2: Very much a pop rock album, like much more so than her later music would be. And One of the Boys has some incredible bangers on it, like thinking of You is on One of the Boys, The title track is so good, waking Up in Vegas incredible, Thinking of You like one of the best songs ever written, Hot and Cold, Hot and Cold, You're so gay.
Speaker 3: You're so gay? And then I forgot that there was on this album.
Speaker 2: And then you know, when she went into teenage dream, which really like was the thing that made her who she is in the way that we like that that is the crystallization of the image of her in pop culture that we have like the Blue Wig, the California Girls of it all that is much more pop and like when pop was also starting to flirt with like ed M a little bit.
Speaker 3: It was Gaga ying, you know, blue Wig is a Gaga zance kind of I think.
Speaker 1: Can't you can't be a zance?
Speaker 2: If got that was Gaga's first like entree, so it's not a zance.
Speaker 3: I felt, well, no, first of all, you're correct, we shouldn't be calling everything a szance. But that was Gaga's moment like no, no, no, I know it's on the scene and zancing.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely, no, Gaga was gaga ing, but she wasn't zancing because she had never been before.
Speaker 3: Oh oh, because it wasn't a return thank you, okay, thank you, thank you. Clarification. Language is important and I appreciate you. No custody account.
Speaker 2: All the girls were doing that at that point. It was Gaga.
Speaker 3: Katie Nikkia tried to get on it.
Speaker 1: She did with Bionique.
Speaker 2: I didn't actually realize because I did watch burlesque for the first time this Oh, I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Ryan.
Speaker 2: My friend Ryan told me that I didn't realize that came out like in the middle of the Bionic era. We're doing a burlesque episode, by the way, we should well, yeah we should.
Speaker 1: We should have to. I want to rewatch anymore.
Speaker 2: Maybe we should just do like a Christina episode and burlesque into it.
Speaker 3: It could also, Oh that's really smart. It could also just be like it could be like a burlesque and movies that Burlessue copied off of.
Speaker 1: Like Coyote.
Speaker 2: It literally took the scrip from Kyodeug and just changed the details. Also like stole characters from Cabaret, like and it literally stole out character.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to back to Katy Harry.
Speaker 2: So Teenage Dream is like one of the most successful albums of all time. It also coincided with her being a huge figure in the tabloids. This was her her marriage to Russell Brand and then the dissolution of it.
Speaker 1: Was Jean Mayer after Russell Brand.
Speaker 3: I think so okay, I don't know the dating timeline and Teenage Dream, you know, spawned so many hits, Like obviously the title track California Girls was the I think the first single that was a huge moment.
Speaker 2: Last Friday night when Katie started doing her like I don't know her, like not alter ego, but she was like trying to be kooky a little.
Speaker 3: Bit, like like not like being completely willing to put herself in ugly makeup and to be doofy and to lean into the doofiness, which I think was something that no other pop star on the scene was doing, like even Gaga. Gaga was very self serious in some ways. She was pulling stunts, she was doing crazy avant garde things, but she wasn't doofy. I feel and Katie loves to be doofy.
Speaker 1: I think it's an essential part of her brand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she Well, there's a an element of like childishness or like left Shark last Friday Night.
Speaker 3: A great example that the you know, the giant singing poop in her Vegas residency, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she that that like the case, and I do think that originated with California girls, Like the whole Candyland thing that what and the blue wig like that became her most iconic and marketable aesthetic.
Speaker 1: Like there's a reason why.
Speaker 2: That's the whole vibe of her Super Bowl halftime show, which I.
Speaker 1: Do still think is one of.
Speaker 2: The better pop Diva halftime shows because it's it's so smartly brings together the right songs from her catalog and Missy Elliot and Missy Elliott in the perfect like encapsulation of them for that event and that audience.
Speaker 3: And the left Shark meme, Like the meme was a part of the experience and impact of that show.
Speaker 1: Because Katie is a meme queen and she likes memes. She leans into whats doofy?
Speaker 3: Honestly, you've You've named something that I think is really important to like kind of lay out for the virgins, which is the moment before and after she put on the blue wig. I feel like it was like a pivotal moment in her career. And I think that's something.
Speaker 1: That's like Darth Vader putting on the helmet, Yes, exactly. And I feel.
Speaker 3: Now I'm imagining her as a villain, which she would be. So does Katy Perry ever act in movies? She would be so good as like a villain in like.
Speaker 2: No, she hasn't. She's only acted in her own music videos. And I'm surprised because she does have like and I know we're we're not really like sticking to the chronology of her career. I'm like jumping ahead a little, but in the later years, she's you know, she's now been a judge on American Idol for a couple of years, and on that, like she does kind of play a version of herself in a way that I imagine like is very heightened but perfect for TV, and she's actually very good at doing that job. I think she's the best of those three modern day judges.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I totally agree. She is first and foremost a commercial artist. American Idol is one of the most commercial musical pieces of IP in America, and it only made sense for her to do that in the capacity that she still is.
Speaker 1: Doing that question mark. Yes, she's still doing it. She's still doing it, and so okay, yeah, she just signed on I think for the next season.
Speaker 3: But something to know about Katy Perry is that she's literally always strive for megalomania pop stardom. This was always in the plan. It was always what she wanted to do. And from what I understand, when she released One of the Boys, is that.
Speaker 1: What it's called her debut.
Speaker 3: When she released that debut under Katy Perry One of the Boys, she before that had kind of I think her managers and players that be had been thinking about her in this kind of and this is really amazing, like an Alanis kind of Lane or like Jewel, Yeah, Jewel, Michelle Branch even almost Amy Winehouse like girl with a guitar singing soulfully, which.
Speaker 1: We do not know Katy Perry for today.
Speaker 3: And I think at a certain point she right at the time she was putting on this blue wig and after her singles from for the Boys had kind of like popped off, got a new manager that I was always that was already rapping all these major people very very ambitiously like chase this person hard in order to like achieve what she did with Teenage Dream and with the Blue Wig. And the Blue Wig was really this like aha moment I think where it's like, this is the product I'm selling, this is the art I'm destined to make, this is what I'm gonna do with it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the thing about Katie Perry is that you it's not hard to pick up that she is a try hard. I think that is very much the that she gives off in the in the pop space. She wants it so bad, but in a different way from how badly Gaga wanted it, which is funny because they were at war a little bit for a moment which we're going to get into.
Speaker 1: We will get into.
Speaker 2: Okay, have you ever seen her concert? Of course documentary part of me? Of course, everybody cries at the same part.
Speaker 1: It's so.
Speaker 2: It's so effective at what it does while you're watching it. The second you have some space from it, you are like can like wash your hands of it.
Speaker 1: But in the moment when you're watching.
Speaker 2: It, it is so effective as essentially propaganda about this woman.
Speaker 3: And I would say, I want to know if you agree with this statement. I would say that in the grand scheme of other pop music documentaries that came out subsequently, that Gaga five foot two and Taylor Smiths Americana wish they could have accomplished what Katie achieved with that doc Like absolutely, I love the other docks. I also felt that they were effective in different ways at helping us paint the human portrait of this pop star. But what Katie did with that documentary completely reimagined her for me and painted her as this human that I could then see and the heartbreak that she carried.
Speaker 1: While also knowing that she is, like, you know, very dumb. Well, I think I like her brand is very dumb. I think I think, yes it is.
Speaker 2: And I think the reason why it succeeds in a way that those other two didn't is that it's not just a documentary.
Speaker 1: It's also a concert film. So you're never you're.
Speaker 2: Never asked to extricate Katie Perry the person from the product that she's peddling, which is her music, And that's why I think it works so well. Yeah, I need to see Katie. You've seen Katie. I've never seen Katie girl. I almost went to Witness tour. I remember Ryan and I saw that there were tickets to see Witness at Barclay Center No for like twenty eight dollars, and for some reason we didn't buy them. And I regret that to this day because because I.
Speaker 1: Love Witness and I think it is. I think it is.
Speaker 2: I think it is criminally maligned. I have a lot of opinions about how the rollout should have been different, and like, obviously the purposeful pop of it all is this right after Teenage Dream, No No No, So the sequence of Katie's albums are one of the boys Teenage Dream Prism, Witness and Smile Lol. And I think Prism is important because it's the last hugely commercially successful album in Katie's discography. Like yes, Witness had huge hits, but not on the level that Prism did. And and Prism was really the last time that she was on top in the way that she was when Teenage Dream came out, and it, you know, it has its like like roor obviously walking on air, I mean not walking on air. Walking on airs a hate to me. It went triple platinum in my home and still does to this day. I mean, dark Horse is like one of her biggest songs of all times, even though it's.
Speaker 4: Incredibly dumb, so isolated.
Speaker 2: Single era of Katie is post Witness, pre Smile That's Never Really Over, which I do believe is the best song she's ever written, if not the greatest song written. No, it's an incredible pop songs. And then she also did small Talk, which was written with Charlie Pute Charlie poof Puth that little Thought, straight thought and is not I don't love it. And then I guess Harley's in a Hawaii was also kind of that era. But then she put Harley's in Hawaii, and I love Harley's in Hawaii.
Speaker 1: I think it's very sexy.
Speaker 2: But then she put Harley's in Hawaii on Smile, so it doesn't really count. But Prism is the era where she started to get in trouble a little bit, because that was when she started to not even flirt but fuck with cultural appropriation the most, which is the thing that has really dogged Katie Perry, I think more than any other criticism, because you know the fact that she killed a nun, even that you know the music video for this is how we do the performs in which she like dressed up as a gaisha. You know she she is. She's very dumb. She's she's extremely dumb. She makes a lot of bad decisions in her career, but she also makes great pop music.
Speaker 3: I say this as a complete virgin to Katie. Do you feel like Prism was kind of her art pop? Like it was kind of the thing that people were like, what is this? It has some hits, but also like, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: No, Witness is her art pop because she yeah, because Witness was the album completely misunderstood. Witness was the album where purposeful pop, which I also realized I was talking to this about someone the other day.
Speaker 1: Barbie is purposeful pop. Barbie is witness. It is the whole, the whole soundtrack.
Speaker 2: Yet Barbie is I'm with her, and Katie Perry is nothing if not I'm with her, I'm with her. Katy Perry is with her. No witness is Katie thinking she's an artist, thinking she's making a statement about the world. She did that whole thing where she was in a house for like for a week and was filmed constantly, and like did therapy on camera, like talk to RuPaul, doctor.
Speaker 1: Raball, and everyone's so crazy eating breakfast alone on camera.
Speaker 2: There's so many amazing memes from that. And I mean also that was when she cut her hair.
Speaker 1: She shaved her hair. She didn't shave it.
Speaker 2: She cut it short because really she was She had long hair in the Chaine to the Rhythm video and then her hair got super fried so she had to cut it all off. And like, like, culturally we have agreed upon this. I guess that I don't really agree with, which is that cutting her hair off was what led to her downfall. I mean, I do, I do believe, and she has embraced this in recent years that she is at her best when she is fitting into the mold that we like first knew her at, which is the long dark hair, like that is her, that is her love Thante. You know she did not almost kind of like black black hair. Well, I mean she did a lot, especially in one of the Boys. She really leaned into the like pin up girl Betty Page look, and that was not a look that was happening with any of the other pop girls. And she really did set a lane for herself by being the only brunette diva we had. And it's crazy that that is like.
Speaker 1: Enough name another brunette diva.
Speaker 2: I actually I was I read somebody yesterday by saying that they were very brunette.
Speaker 1: I don't remember who it was, but it is a reed.
Speaker 2: It is a read, but some for some people at works, and it worked for Katie. And she did kind of stray from God's light when she had that blonde pixie cut, and.
Speaker 1: I mean I prayed from God.
Speaker 2: I do love the moment in the bone Apatite video where they cut her her braid off when she's being like turned into food and then like from yeah, and then from that, I mean, it's wait what was that in James, James, you've never seen them. Oh yeah, she's like getting prepared to be put into food and she has this long braid and they cut it off and then she comes out with her short hair and it's like very weird.
Speaker 1: Okay, girl, I've never seen that video.
Speaker 3: But also when you first said that sentence, I immediately assumed that she was in a viral boneapp petit dot com YouTube video with like Grossy Pelosi or whatever the fun.
Speaker 2: Like, God, remember when Bonappetite was like the biggest thing on YouTube.
Speaker 1: It kind of still is, like they may not they make all their money on.
Speaker 2: You, not not in the way it was for a moment when like maybe it was everyone's when it was before they got canceled, when it was everyone's like comfort YouTube thing, like there was the whole cast of characters that I mean that was I used to watch all the videos.
Speaker 3: I didn't, but I know it was a moment. Okay, wait, okay, back to Witness. So we have this moment of misunderstanding. She gets the producers of the Real World, Big Brother, question Mark Real Well, she gets the producers of one of those major reality TV shows and kind of replicates its formula by putting a bunch of extremely random celebrities into one place over the course of what.
Speaker 1: No, it's just her, but her and people sort of come in and interact.
Speaker 3: Wasn't this also like dinner with like Caitlyn Jenner and Amber Amber what's her face? And like, yes, like all these random people at dinner, RuPaul coming, iab Yes, it was a lot of people coming in and out of the house, and she was like trying to I feel like, okay, so I actually want to get to the bottom of like what exactly she was trying to do with the quote unquote purposeful pop thing, because to me, it kind of felt like she was like feeling that she was losing her feeling that she was losing her relevance, maybe also feeling the level of hatred now careening towards her as literally just a.
Speaker 1: Woman in the music industry, honestly.
Speaker 3: Who was also maybe said or done a few things that are culturally insensitive, and in that She's like, let me produce this thing wherein I'm actually one hundred percent real myself.
Speaker 1: For how long was the stream, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I think it was a few days, and then she broadcast her literal life, like her eating breakfast, taking a shit, going to therapy in this weird house with Kaitlyn Jenner, where people like Kaitlyn Jenner, RuPaul, et cetera all came to visit, and then everyone was like, what the fuck is happening?
Speaker 2: Well, the reasoning behind witness and purposeful pop and her feeling like she had to create music with a message is not hard to parse the root of Like it came out in twenty seventeen, so like Clinton and Trump. Yeah, so's it's post Hillary losing, Trump winning, and like all of these people, Katy Perry among them, feeling like they needed to reckon with that, and some they for the first time in their lives probably they felt like they needed to like reckon with what was happening in the world in their art or you know, if I'm being really cynical, just her looking around at the world and like licking her finger and putting her and putting it up to the air and sort of like taking the cultural temperature and saying, oh, I don't think it's actually enough for me to slap a blue wig on and sing a good pop song anymore. If I'm gonna be relevant. It has to be something more. And I don't think that Impulse is wrong. It's wrong, but it's just that it's just that she didn't have anything to say.
Speaker 1: Like if you look at the actual lyrics for Chain to the Rhythm, Girl, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you look at the actual content of Witness, it's not there's nothing in there that that is saying anything. Like, yes, chain to the Rhythm is sort of about like feeling like you're like a drone in the world and like you're just sort of like going along with everything but so comfortable.
Speaker 1: We'll live in it in a bubble bubble.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But nothing else on Witness really is that at all. And like I do really like Witness, Like there are great songs i Witness. I think Tsunami is one of her sexiest songs. I think Roulette and Deja Vous were both incredible, and if one of them had been the lead single of the album, I do think it would have been received very differently. I hate Hey, Hey Hey, and I have it blocked on Spotify so that it never comes off when I'm listening to Katie Perry. I even do like change the Rhythm. I like Bonappetite, I don't love Swish Swish. Oh my god, remember the Swish Swish SNL performance featuring a lot of mcgriddles.
Speaker 1: Not a lot of mcgriddles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like a bunch of queens or Metropolitan performed with her on SNL, A lot of mcgriddles who used to do a cover of Bitch I'm Madonna called bitch Ie Alatta, which is one.
Speaker 3: Of my favorite thing about Heran shit, I that's amazing. I okay, I okay. This this album, Witness came out like like during Trump's during the election.
Speaker 2: It's seventeen, No, it came out. No, twenty sixteen was the election. So twenty seventeen was, you know, after he'd been inaugurated. Oh duh, okay, okay, sorry, So it's like so it's it's very directly, you know, and in spot in response to the beginning of the Trump era. And I think more it more than Trump winning. It's inspired by Hillary losing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because she was famously on the Hillary train, which felt kind of a direct response to Taylor Swift's silence on the Hillary Train.
Speaker 2: Oh, we haven't talked about the tailor of the feud.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, I want to get to that.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to say, with the witness and purposeful pop thing, It's like it felt like, you know, she released I feel like in twenty seventeen, I don't know how you were feeling, but I was still very raw, Like I was angry all the time, all day every day. I was like working my fucking ass off, like trying to figure out how to live in the world safely with my friends, which sounds dramatic and is annoying to say now because like Trump feels like such a bygone era even though it's so present. But it's almost like when Katie released changed the Rhythm and these empty, empty lyrics along with it, talking about purposeful pop is like you really missed.
Speaker 1: I feel like she really missed the mark. You were totally right. It's like, wasn't the wrong impulse. It's like she actually could have pulled something.
Speaker 3: Off the but the lyrics and the actual message didn't have any Like there was no substance, no bones, no teeth, Like it didn't feel good.
Speaker 1: And it just wasn't in line and any of the art she had produced before.
Speaker 3: And change the Rhythm is a pretty it's a good song. Yeah, I love that song, but it just didn't. It didn't transcend as what's her face would say, who's the Zionist that did the Imagine music video?
Speaker 1: Oh, gal Gado, gal Gado. It didn't transcends.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised Katie wasn't in the Imagine video. She's the Imagine video is very purposeful pop.
Speaker 1: She didn't send them the video.
Speaker 2: The the things that are purposeful pop obviously the Barbie movie, all of RuPaul's discography. No, I'm just no, no, not not RuPaul's discography, but every time they bring up the vote sign at the end of the set of Dragon, that's purposeful pop.
Speaker 1: Everybody say, love Taylor.
Speaker 2: Swift's activism of any kind is purposeful pop?
Speaker 1: What activism? Well, exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm like, purposeful pop. That's a really good prompt. Maybe on this most recent Billie Eilish album where she had like a kind of spoken word song about the media critiquing her body. Yeah, I was like, okay, purposeful pop and Chris saying he's never going to play a gay character again.
Speaker 2: That's purpose and win again. Emmy, Yeah, that's purposeful pop.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Katie versus Taylor, well, Katie versus Gaga first, so that really like the whole thing around that is that applause and roar came out at the same time, and they this was We've talked about this before in the pod, but this was in the days where the girls beefed on Twitter, and so that was just like, that's what happened. But then Katie versus Taylor, do you know what the origin of the few isn't okay? So according to the lore, like we don't know, neither of them have ever said publicly what it was about, but we all know what it's about, and it is about what John Mayer. No, no, no, it's about dancers.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: So allegedly, so before this they were cool, but allegedly Katie tried to ruin Taylor's red horror by poaching dancers for her Prismatic World tour, and then allegedly bad Blood is Bad Blood was Taylor firing back at Katie.
Speaker 3: Fully addressing like, there's no, I don't think there is any discrepancy that Bad Blood is about Katie Hair. And that's why, to this day, many of us believe that when reputation Taylor's version, no not. Many of us believe that when nineteen eighty nine, Taylor's version comes out, Katy Perry will be featured on Bad Blood, Oh, which would be if she didn't do it'd be such a mised opportunity because remember her. Remember when Katie came out in the you Need to Calm Down video and like yes, and it was such a moment, even more so than Taylor being like I love gays, I love no That was the thing, is like, actually the video could have been so good if it Trot didn't try to do the LGBTQ thingg.
Speaker 2: I think it was just about Taylor and Katie. It was just like so shoe horned in. I mean, it's very purposeful pop. But the Katie reveal was immaculate, Like.
Speaker 1: It was so good. I was I screamed, And wasn't she in the mosquito French Fries costume?
Speaker 2: Like yeah, yeah, Katie was dressed as the burger and Taylor was dressed as the French Fries.
Speaker 1: Incredable. It was so good.
Speaker 2: I mean, it ran the news cycle for a long time and like I I loved that.
Speaker 3: And do you think that was the eradication of their beef? Do you think it no longer exists?
Speaker 2: I think they had probably worked things out before that. And then they waited for the strategic moment to roll out their reconnection.
Speaker 1: I still have goosebums thinking about Katy.
Speaker 3: Perry on Bad Blood nineteen eighty nine is probably it's the Taylor Seft album that got me, and it's probably still my favorite album. Bad Blood and Welcome to New York are my least favorite songs on the album.
Speaker 1: Welcome to New York.
Speaker 2: I listened to it every time I have a plane touchdown.
Speaker 1: Right when the wheels the target.
Speaker 2: Literally it's so good, or or I listened to it like in the uber coming out of Jmkaylor or LaGuardia.
Speaker 1: I listened to Wendy Williams. She's a native New Yorker.
Speaker 2: Okay, so now we are at smile with something I know nothing, which is not a good album period. And but I do think the interesting thing is that when the album came out and Katie did a bunch of interviews, she was on the defense already in promoting it because she had this whole spiel. I remember specifically, there's a quote I think she gave it to the La Times where they were like, yeah, you don't really get number ones the way you used to, and she's like, honey, like, look at my numbers, Like I've rung every bell and that is not sustainable, and like I don't need to hit those milestones anymore good because I've already done it. And I think that is a good attitude for her to have, and.
Speaker 1: Especially nowadays where the charts don't mean anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, Smile was a huge flop. I do think there's some good songs on it. I really like Tucked, Cry About It Later is really good.
Speaker 1: And Smiled, don't you like the time? No Smile is horrible.
Speaker 2: Smile is one of the worst songs ever made.
Speaker 1: But I like that.
Speaker 2: In the years since Smile came out, I think it came out in twenty twenty, and with sort of the backing of her American Idol job behind her, she's a little bit more like that defensiveness has calmed down, I think, and she yeah, and she has like made peace with the fact that she will never be at the height that she once was and that and like that's okay, because that's not sustainable for anyone unless you're Tailor. And even Taylor like will have a come down at some point from the current high she's on. And Katie like, she has so much money. She makes like twenty five million dollars a season for judging American Idol. She has all these world records, she has this incredible discography, She's done the Super Bowl, and she gets to fuck Orlando Bloom.
Speaker 1: She gets to fuck Orlando Bloom.
Speaker 2: He is so hot, naked on the beach, he has aged like fine wine, and I the fact that she gets to suck his dick is like, that is what what number one hit could give you the same feeling as sucking off Orlando Bloom?
Speaker 1: When I I.
Speaker 3: Mean sucking off, yes, But when I saw those vacation photos of them just like being happy, like in a private, like remote like beach island inlet or whatever, I was like, all I can think about is sticking my nose and mouth into Orlando's hairy little.
Speaker 1: Hole and smelling his Oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 3: I want to eat his ass ya because he looks so delicious and he probably like right then and there smelled like salts.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, before we get to bar Okay, what's your what's your favorite Katie.
Speaker 1: Perry song that is a or like top three?
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna lie I kissed a Girl is in my top three or top five.
Speaker 1: I think Teenage Dream remains.
Speaker 3: To be one of the most beautiful pop songs about love ever. And I say that full knowing how like empty the lyrics are. But it really captured the imagination of teens at the time, and I was a teen at the time, and I really appreciated the world that she built, not just with that album, but with that song because it was just perfect to me. I feel like, if I'm returning to songs like if I'm gonna If, I'm like, you know, enjoying my day and thinking about, like, huh, I'm like in the mood for some Katie, which honestly doesn't happen very often. I'm definitely listening to Never Really Over. I'm definitely listening to Hot and Cold. I Kissed the Girls definitely Top three, top five. I also really like Oh I Love White Awake. I also really love her rendition of White Christmas on that Christmas covers album that was released exclusively with Starbucks. It's so good, and I love if you come around Christmas time and you want to like listen to something sad and slow, listen to Katie Perry's White Christmas because her vocals are completely unvarnished. There's no auto tune at all, and so it's this has this raw nasal, almost.
Speaker 1: Like flat kind of quality. That's so I think stunning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's when her, it's when her like kind of bad vocals really work for me. But live vocal, a live vocal singer, she is not. She's a performer down. She will give you a good show, period, but she her talent is not vocals in my opinion, even though she is talented, she is very talented. I think her talent is being a pop star on being an entertainer, and that's why we need to see.
Speaker 1: Is the Vagat residency still on? Is it over? I'm not sure, but I would love to see it.
Speaker 2: Even though you know, my favorites are not necessarily not all of them are getting performed.
Speaker 1: Oh you know this that list kind of okay?
Speaker 2: I would say my favorite Katie songs like top five are never really over thinking of you the what is it waiting? Walking on Air? Maybe like Circle the Drain.
Speaker 1: Ooh, I don't know that one. It's on Teenage Dream okay.
Speaker 2: And Legendary Lovers, No, not Legendary Lovers. One of the boys actually, the title track from One of the Boys is such a good song and is very trans coded.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Honestly, the more I think about it, especially since I've been listening to Ikist to Girl over and over again, I'm pretty sure that's my favorite Katie song.
Speaker 1: Wow, I really are we have common full circles, I really do.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about the riff and what it contributed and how it does stand alone in pop music where and it's also something that doesn't feel dated.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's very stupid to say.
Speaker 3: It feels extremely dated because of its display of heterosexuality, but aside from that, like the musical quality of it feels so like it had a point of view, and Teenage Dream obviously had a point of view. But at the end of the day, she's making pop product and I like and I love that. I think I kissed a girl just like had a little edge, it had something else.
Speaker 2: Well, I think there's no other way we can end this episode than by chanting something in unison.
Speaker 1: Oh and I think you know what it.
Speaker 2: Is, and it is a certain Dead Nuns request for Katie Perry. So I want you to hold my hands. Yes, And on three, we're gonna say it? One two three, Katy Perry, please stop?
Speaker 1: Why did you say it? I didn't know that was what I was supposed to say. Here, let's do it again, okay, one two three, Katie Perry, please stop?
Speaker 3: I really don't want her to stop, though, Like, what do you think she should do next? Like, I honestly, because you said she's cracked every milestone, She's done so many things, Like what on earth does she do next?
Speaker 2: I think she should pivot to acting. I actually think that would be really smart.
Speaker 1: For her, it would.
Speaker 3: I mean, I want another album. I'm obviously, and we will get more albums. Yeah, I want Bad Blood featuring Katy Perry, and I think that's what we need.
Speaker 1: A Katy Perry movie direct by Bradley Cooper.
Speaker 2: Got Star Is Born Again, Slide into Our dandst Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine, and let us know what's your favorite Katie Perry song? Do you think she should always have long black hair?
Speaker 1: Did she kill that nine? Did she kill that Nune? The answer is yes.
Speaker 2: If this episode was not enough to satisfy your craving for us, you can become a patron at Patreon dot com. Slash like a Virgin for weekly bonus episodes. Currently we're doing recaps of end just like That and lots of other fun exclusive content for our paywall Princesses. You can also buy our merch at Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine dot com. Follow us on Instagram at Like a Virgin four twenty sixty nine. You can also follow me anywhere you want at rosdam you you can find me at friends, wishko, anywhere you like. Like a Virgin is an iHeartRadio production. Our producer is Phoebe Unter, with support from Lindsay Hoffman and Nikki Etour until next week.
Speaker 1: I guess it's never really over.
Speaker 2: Just because it doesn't literally ever an infant the good of it, Maybe you'll become a Nutter again.
Speaker 1: Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 3: Here's a clip from this week's Patreon episode, which is a little Girl's Girling moment where Rose talks about her experience seeing Renaissance and I talk about Fire Island's doll invasion that I organized last weekend. You can subscribe to hear the full episode at Patreon dot com slash Like a Virgin.
Speaker 2: We have both had some big moments within the past week and wanted to talk about them.
Speaker 3: Yes, one of them being Beyonce and another one being Doll Invasion, of which are on equal playing field of life altering experience.
Speaker 2: And also took place on the same day on the same day. Hence why I was not at the Doll. I was very sad to miss it, so I want to hear all about it. Tell me everything.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I kind of wanted to start with Renaissance, but okay, I'm still, you know, coming down from it, which is why my voice still sounds like this. I feel like, bottom line, if you don't already know I or organize this amazing coalition of people to put on adult Invasion of Fire Island when hundreds of trans people descended on the island on a single day to or for us exactly us sending to party in a pool safely at Fruit Falls and on Fire Island, which is historically not a place that is very accommodating to trans people. And it was nothing short of one of the top three top five best days of my life.
Speaker 1: I feel so.
Speaker 3: Accomplished in what everybody on the team was able to do. Everyone immediately activated around there the idea and pulled their way and made their shit happen, and that resulted in free tattoos, free cash, free Willie Norris shirts, like free drinks, like free travel, stipends for people that needed them, like Gina Davis was there for a second and I have no idea, but she wouldn't her publicist wouldn't let us take photos of her, which was like so wild. But I think she was friends with Sada Ramirez who was also there and held up a sign that said welcome transsexuals for three different pools of fairy fairy goers.
Speaker 1: Which was honestly a serve themselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, actually really cha came through and then Hari was obviously their The doll On strike about a movie about it all, the biggest movie in America.
Speaker 1: It felt like a movie. It felt like the end of a movie.
Speaker 3: It felt like such a beautiful celebration of what we could do with collective organizing power and if we fundraised justin just what we needed and the rest went to, you know, a mutual aid initiative for the girls like that was amazing and beyond that, like the way I'm talking about it makes it sound very like triumphant and important and historic and newsworthy, which it was we were on Vogue.
Speaker 1: Thank you. But at the end of the.
Speaker 3: Day, you know, you and I are privy to the people that live on Fire Island and the kinds of people that inhabit. To habit it, I had to work with a lot of those people. I had to work with some of the good apples, so to speak, in order to make this party happen. And I found not with the people that I worked with, but with other people that there was this thing floating around about how important this was going to be and it's going to be such an inclusive event and like it's going to be so important, you're going to change lives, blah blah blah, and like sure, like give me credit.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, but.
Speaker 3: Also like trans people deserve to do things that aren't important, like we can also just like make out and do drugs at a cool party, you know what I mean. Like, and I felt like I was constantly having to be like actually, like it's not inclusive, Like we're not being included on anything, like we don't want any part of it, Like we are doing it, and you are the ones that are included, which is why you have to pay twenty dollars at the door and trans people don't.
Speaker 1: That's such a good way to reframe it. Yeah, I try to. That's amazing. And then you got to hang out in the house for a couple days after. Yes, so you.
Speaker 2: Got to like come down a little bit after the day and like enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: And by come down, I mean chain smokes cigarettes as I continue to answer emails for days. Yes, but I but I was loving the chain smoking and I'm paying for it.
Speaker 1: As you can hear. I can hear it.
Speaker 3: You did not lose your voice despite having been at what is probably the event of the year in New York City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I wasn't able to be a doll invasion because I was at Beyonce. I went to the first night of her two night run in Rutherford, New.
Speaker 1: She is the.
Speaker 2: Greatest performer of our generation and the greatest performer alive currently.
Speaker 1: No one can do what she can do one hundred and true fight me. I Yeah.
Speaker 3: I felt also like it was the best show I've ever seen, one of the greatest nights of my life. The finale I was not really prepared for. I wasn't ready for it to be over. And oh, did you think there was going to be an encore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I was.
Speaker 3: I was like on a lot of ketamine at this point, So yeah, I think maybe in my brain did think there was going to be an encore at the very least, that there would just be more. But when she ascended over the crowd in this like metallic like confetti thing that she was ringing the London tour and all these four high beams are flashing on her and everybody's holding up their phones to try and take a picture. There was so much light on her that you couldn't see her. She just looked like a flashing orb of light. She looked like literally God, and people were trying to take a photo of God and couldn't.
Speaker 1: I tried taking a photo. All you see is this huge bright ball of light. She looked like the sun and she is she is, She's the Sun and the moon.
Speaker 3: And the best part is like after that whole moment where everyone's taking photos and she's all these flashes, and she finally descends and then you finally see her, like the like light goes away, and then you see her a beautiful outfit and she's like descending back into the stage and she goes I.
Speaker 1: Think I need a little more love, and everyone's like she was.
Speaker 2: So funny and like cute on the mic. I loved all her banter. It didn't feel canned in the way that a lot of pop star tour banter is. And I'm sure, like you know, some of it is sure prepared, and I'm sure she does a lot of the same things from show to show, but she just makes it work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she does every time. She's perfect. Wow wow.
Speaker 2: And like I in recent years have become a little exhausted of the deification of Beyonce, like it feels so sort of like eye rolling and obvious, like yes, we know, like Beyonce's amazing, But then seeing her performed live, I was like, oh, like that's all exists because it's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like when Beyonce was having her first kid, honestly, that deification was reaching its peak and she was just like yeah, no, you're right, I am a god and that's the brand. And then that was like something where it's just like, well, you don't need to say it, like we're saying it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, it.
Speaker 3: Really it's like it's full circle, like she is exactly where she needs to be. I wish pop stars could do what she does, but no one can.
Speaker 1: And I'm hungry, and I'm hungry. Oh my god. The Actually, the hot dogs that met life were so good.
Speaker 3: Really, I wanted another one, but but you didn't, cause it's like I didn't want to go back to get a second one. I got the chicken tenders, which were fucking good, to be honest,