Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is nick Shots, streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys As now here are Bill Jones, Savannah Humoler, Everson Wolves, and Mickey Spagnola.
Speaker 3: And on this Monday after Super Bowl Sunday, I've got four words for you to kickoff mix shots. Those four words in spags, we trust very good that yes, Welcome to a post super Bowl edition of mix Shots featuring Mickey Spagnola, the long lost cousin of the Kasas City chiefs.
Speaker 4: Us still trying to find each other. He's still lost.
Speaker 5: We we always knew that, right in spags, we.
Speaker 4: Trust, Okay, I thought you.
Speaker 6: We always knew that the defense is going to play well for Kansas City.
Speaker 4: I didn't know about all of that.
Speaker 3: How's everybody doing? Let's check the microphones here ever soon? How are you doing?
Speaker 4: Check? Check one? Two checking?
Speaker 3: Savannah? How are you doing?
Speaker 5: Oh, we're great, it sounds great.
Speaker 3: How about Mickey? How are you doing? There?
Speaker 4: He goes there, he goes there, he goes jeez.
Speaker 5: We trust.
Speaker 3: It comes to here. I set you up and be here to check everything right? All right, what y'all think?
Speaker 7: Amazing? Crazy game? Crazy game.
Speaker 5: I think we learned that defense matters?
Speaker 4: Does it does?
Speaker 3: Does defense wins championships?
Speaker 4: Spags?
Speaker 5: It did it?
Speaker 3: This one man, Mickey has long been a proponent of scarring points wins championships. They scored more points.
Speaker 5: You're right, and it took overtime, it did. Did everybody know the overtime role?
Speaker 4: I did? I did?
Speaker 6: We in the family, we were going over it, okay, making sure we.
Speaker 3: I don't know that and it was CBS, so I'm sure that they did a great job of explaining it. And I know they went over it at the beginning. I don't know that they went over it enough.
Speaker 4: I don't know they went with the team. The teams didn't even know.
Speaker 5: San Francisco didn't know some of their players.
Speaker 7: Had But how how do you how do you allow that? Like, shouldn't that be.
Speaker 5: Chris Jones that for two weeks leading up to the Super Bowl that they talked about it daily with the chiefs. Ok Mahomes said to the point, I was tired of hearing it. And they talked to change the rules on overtime last year.
Speaker 4: But they changed the rules because of the Kansas City game, right.
Speaker 8: Not.
Speaker 5: What they didn't explain though, and I had to remind myself, is if it had been tied after the first possessions in overtime, like each got their team and each kicked a field goal, then it's sudden death. They never pointed that out on the broadcast, that that was part of it.
Speaker 3: What else would it be, well that.
Speaker 5: We get each get another possession.
Speaker 3: I mean, it never dawned on me that it would be continuous.
Speaker 7: They would make a double.
Speaker 3: On endlessly where trades possessions.
Speaker 5: Especially since the overtime periods that would have expired. Then yeah, you just keep playing.
Speaker 3: Chris Beam, producer Supreme wants to chime in, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing really well because I was kind of interested about the overtime rules too. And on the way home, I was listening to the radio and they had the Fox analyst, the guy that no no catch, no catch guy, the former official.
Speaker 4: Okay, was it Mike or something? No, whatever, the.
Speaker 3: Fox guy, I know who you're talking about.
Speaker 2: So he said that they weren't worried about the clock because it was like that was the first quarter of overtime.
Speaker 5: They were just moved in the other end.
Speaker 2: Right, right, So I mean it was like because there was three seconds left right when they took that last snap.
Speaker 5: Actually they yeah.
Speaker 3: It finished it three seconds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it was it was like ten seconds left. So that's why that's why they were not worried about because the game was not that it wasn't going to end r right.
Speaker 5: And and you know what Maurice Jones drew on NFL Network afterward, was asking the Holmes, Well, Kley, you ran the clock down to three seconds where you were and it's like, well, no.
Speaker 3: Because there's just going to go the other Well, there was a it was like a split second difference between the play clock and the game clock and it and I believe the play clock was behind it. They had to run a play. They weren't going to be a right, They couldn't because they would have taken that option probably.
Speaker 5: And I think Rumbo pointed that out that there was you know, need, no need to worry. You would have just changed right.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying is you had to run a play because there was a difference between the play clock and the game clock, just a split second difference there.
Speaker 4: So if we go into the.
Speaker 6: Over time, we use up all of overtime, right, and it's still tied, so then the sudden death right right, right, right right.
Speaker 5: And you know what Chris Jones said, I was reading an interview with.
Speaker 3: Him, my cousin, Chris Jones.
Speaker 5: Yes, game right. I didn't see any humolers. He said that had had San Francisco scored a touchdown, and then if we had come down and score a touchdown, we had already talked about going for two to end the game. How about that? Now that would attach to that would have taken some I know about. Yeah, now, it's one thing to talk about.
Speaker 7: That was the case.
Speaker 4: I think about it. I can really.
Speaker 3: But if you know, if you're San Francisco though, and that's even more of a reason. It's even more of a reason why. And you have to if you have the option, you have to have the ball last. With these yes now and the old overtime rules, if you can score a touchdown, you can end the game. Yeah, take the ball from okay, but these rules it's like baseball. Baseball, the home team has an advantage because they bat last, and so you want to bat last in this game now, and then in that case with San Francisco. Since Patrick Holmes is the quarterback on the other side, I take the ball second, score my touchdown, and I would seriously consider going for two because I don't want Patrick Mahomes to have the football.
Speaker 6: The difference right there depends on the quarterback, right, Well, it depends on to me, only one quarterback and it is Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 5: Well, but still, why did they take the ball they won the toss.
Speaker 3: He said, because he wanted the ball. Third, he said he wanted he wanted.
Speaker 5: Was tied after Kyle.
Speaker 3: Sheahan said he wanted the ball third, He wanted it when it went to sudden death, and that's why he took the ball first.
Speaker 5: So interesting. But see what happens though, is if you if you take the ball second, then you got four downs, right, you can go. You gotta go for it, right when when you take it first, you're not going to gamble on fourth down. You're gonna kick the field goal. That's the difference, right. You want to know what you got to do.
Speaker 3: I'm sure he knew because because you can't in that situation, San Francisco is down there. Yes, they could have gone for for the first down and not kicked the field goal if they wanted to, because Paprick Mahomes is on the other side. But if you don't make it, now all they need is to drive half the field on you and kick a field goal and win the game. Well, I could see made a Super Bowl record fifty seven yard or in nine straightness about that.
Speaker 5: Wow, a record fifty five and then a record fifty seven.
Speaker 6: That could have Really it looked like it was crossed the goalposts of the uprights still going you know what I mean. It wasn't like it much. Yeah, it looked like you could have gone with sixty five on that one.
Speaker 5: But it wasn't very high.
Speaker 4: Well, they got tested, didn't it.
Speaker 3: They're talking about the fifty seven.
Speaker 5: Yard fifty seven the low one low No, no, no, no, no, that was the Yeah, the low projectory.
Speaker 4: I thought that that one was touched.
Speaker 5: I don't think so, because it it it had a lot of steam on it.
Speaker 6: You didn't think that that it was touched. I saw you saw two hands going up. I remember that.
Speaker 5: No, that was the extra point that got blocked.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not talking about that.
Speaker 3: Oh you're talking about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're yeah, but it went right past the guys past it.
Speaker 4: I thought maybe it actually touched. No, I don't think so.
Speaker 5: It almost got blocked.
Speaker 4: That's I'm talking so low.
Speaker 5: But it was good. So I can understand now had they scored uh, each team scored a touchdown, and if Kansas City had the ball last, it was almost like the two point conversion was like a possession mm hmm, because then if you just tie it, then they can go down and win sudden death, right, But it would have taken a lot of nerves.
Speaker 3: Was there any point besides the mentions of Steve Spagnola? Was there any point ever since in this game where you thought of Key Spagnola? When they showed a shot on the field of something that happened on the field, and very obscure thing that happened, it was amazing that they had video of it.
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 3: When Dre green log runs on the field and tears his achilles, did you think of Mickey Spagnola? Did because I did?
Speaker 5: Well, you know what, figure it out?
Speaker 6: Initially turned when I saw when I saw they we ran it back at the house, and I said that's an achilles.
Speaker 5: Immediately, I immediately said.
Speaker 7: It had to be something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, But it wasn't a mystic.
Speaker 5: I knew, I knew, and then when he when he.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go ahead and get it the way because otherwise the whole segment on Micky talking about his Achilles experience, I mean, all you had.
Speaker 5: To do is see what happened.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, he came out. It's almost like he was in the sprint coming out, but.
Speaker 6: They were so excited to get down bouncing, and he took off and I didn't see a knee doing anything.
Speaker 4: Now I was looking for something weird.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and when I finally, for some reason, I didn't think about you. I think I was just so amazed that that it happened.
Speaker 5: That's how the injury occurred.
Speaker 6: But yeah, damn, it's crazy man. And then next thing you know, Marandy Gregory's out there playing ball.
Speaker 3: But Dray green Law that was a big gloss for San Francisco. He only played twelve snaps in the game that I think Kenja City had seventy something snaps.
Speaker 4: I thought his replacement did well. I did. I thought they did well.
Speaker 6: I don't know what a difference, how much more he could have done, but he was still out there making some play.
Speaker 3: You know, there could have been I'm sure there were plays in the game where they were trying to take advantage of the backup then on the field.
Speaker 4: They did well. He did well, but did well.
Speaker 5: Kansas City had to play their backup defensive tackle too, and a backup offensive guard, so Randy Gregory played how many snaps here? By the way, Warner is pretty good, but boy, they got him in coverage and beat him.
Speaker 6: So you have to challenge people, right, don't don't let me just go on reputation.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's well.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's tough when you got to do it. They beat him at the end of the game. Yeah, and I think because I think he played well. I mean Kelsey at the first half of the game and what one catch for yard or something like that.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: One of the things that I myself don't consider as much as I should is how a player wears down during the course of a game. And Fred Warner is not the same cover linebacker in the fourth quarter with thirty seconds left in the game that he was in the first quarter, within the third seconds.
Speaker 6: That's why you have to go from you have to use this more later in the game as opposed to looking at your physical So he looked will wear down and you have to anticipate.
Speaker 3: He lets the game go born out at the end of the game. Tried to chase Kelsey on the cross crossing route on the big play that got him down.
Speaker 4: He didn't pay them line.
Speaker 5: Well, and the other one that was trying to cover him was Burks and he forty eight.
Speaker 3: And he well there's there's the difference. Birks was on the field for fifty nine plays for green lawm got hurt twelve plays.
Speaker 5: So Gregory played twenty seven snaps and had one tackle. I had almost forgotten he got traded.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was crazy. I saw him out there, looked good in his uniform.
Speaker 3: Well, that's been his role throughout his career really, you know, as a situational pass rusher. So and now he's got a.
Speaker 5: Ring and he's got a ring.
Speaker 4: NF now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, NFC champion.
Speaker 4: That's not how they.
Speaker 9: Okay, So for each of you guys, who was the different and smaker on.
Speaker 7: Okay, Patrick Mahon.
Speaker 3: You know what what I'll say is mahomes feet the difference making and they always those couple always are nine carries for sixty six yards in the game.
Speaker 6: When when what was the year when he broken his leg or whatever. He was running his butt off that night, so he always does. He knows just when to.
Speaker 4: Use his feet.
Speaker 6: I would have to go with I don't know who defensively, but I just I was always impressed. I'll go with Spagnola. I mean, I always thought that he made the difference this year for the Kansasty Chiefs. While Mahomes and his receivers were trying to get it together, the defense was holding on. And I said, before this game, you take Patrick Mahomes with a defense, which is what I thought they had this year. I didn't think they were going to lose. I never thought they would lose.
Speaker 5: I didn't think. And I watched pregame from ten o'clock in the morning on. They didn't talk enough about Kansas City's defense. They gave it lip service. And I said, well, what did they finish well? They finished number two in total yards, and they finished number two in points against. And then I went and looked it up. Four of their six regular season losses twenty one, twenty twenty one, seventeen, twenty seventeen, and twenty fourteen, So they lost four games by a total of fourteen points. Not bad.
Speaker 4: That's what I saw all, you know, So they were close.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, you know, everybody made so much about the opener. Okay, Detroit beat them twenty one to twenty, but they were close. And in the postseason, so they averaged giving up seventeen point three during the regular season and in the postseason four games they gave up fifteen point seven five fifteen point five.
Speaker 6: Uh and would have and no one when it's all said and done, we always just say, Mahomes right, but I gotta put your boy in there. I have to put in Specnola because he is He has kept them in range all year long.
Speaker 3: And specifically in key situations bringing the blitz yes or the third down and in fact that won the game timely blitzes. Yeah, I mean the the receivers opened on the right in the right flat on the last offensive snap that San Francisco turned out had in this game, but Party couldn't make the throw because it.
Speaker 4: Was on There was one where they tried to sneak on up the seams.
Speaker 6: The guy was opening the end zone, but the throat had to be made under dress. So now I was very impressed with their entire scheme, just the way that they just it's not just the third down plays, it's the second down plays. Well, okay, it's second and ten if they if our guys wif you think a guy's going to be open for and make it a third and two. But no, no, the blitz came next thing. You know, they get no gain on that play and that's not looking at third and ten. So they kept them in bad situations. They kept them behind the chains.
Speaker 5: Which is not what they did in the first half because they didn't. He had all day in the pocket, right.
Speaker 4: But they hard.
Speaker 5: It's like, yeah, they got closer and closer coming after you.
Speaker 3: The other part of that is now he's been there for five years, Shanny, I mean spegnola As and he has his players that he wants out there. He was talking about through the week that he loves coaching this defense more than any other defense he's coached in his career because how smart the players are. And I said, it all goes through your Missouri guy. That's Bolton and middle linebacker out of Frisco, lone star high school, an academic All American Missouri. Granted it was at Missouri and he had me academic.
Speaker 5: Incredible. We want to bring up academics in Oklahoma, by.
Speaker 3: The way, But but smart players, and that's something Kansas City has to do because of their salary cap situation and it relates to the Cowboy situation here is you better get players on the field that are coachable, that are smart players, that have an understanding of what you're trying to do defensively, because.
Speaker 6: I couldn't I couldn't name but maybe three players on their defense.
Speaker 5: Well, their corners really, that's all I could probably name. Their corners were really good and they're I think both maybe securious.
Speaker 3: Need is.
Speaker 4: To do with secondary.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Trent McDuffie is he covers guy in the slot more than anything. And uh he was the first round draft pick out of Washington. So what do you think about the Justin Reid the Sanford You think they should.
Speaker 6: Have called that called the personal file when the sneed he slapped him in it was depot. I can't remember who he was, but the guy was was grabbing on his jersey, right, he pushed him aside.
Speaker 5: The missed right.
Speaker 4: I know. They didn't even hit him hard.
Speaker 3: It was just like you know, one thing on that is they didn't have to when they slow it down on replay, you can't see how hard he hit him, really, you know, and so it didn't see. It didn't see when you slow it down, it's like that. Yeah, but maybe it was like that, right.
Speaker 6: It was quickness, but there was no no heavy impact. I thought that was just hey, guys, make it up.
Speaker 4: Yeah right.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like the deal in the San Francisco Green Bay game or Detroit game when Trent Williams on the sideline. It was basically I think it was. It may have been a penalty on both teams which was offset, which is what that would be off the sideline.
Speaker 5: If that was the NBA, the guy would have fell down exactly. Or World Cup soccer, by the way, and by the way, I was grid. The officials set the tone on that first drive and let Trent Williams get away with all his bs, false start and then a hold.
Speaker 3: So did you answer Savannah's question, Oh, I didn't use your guy.
Speaker 7: Who's your standout.
Speaker 4: SPA?
Speaker 5: I would I mean I would have said Macomes. But here's an interesting one pregame.
Speaker 6: No, defensively, she said, you need someone different making pregame.
Speaker 5: How about this one pregame on NFL Network, They went around the horn to pick their m v P. And he took Holy hell for this. Michael Irvin, Juwan Jennings interesting, and they're going what and you know what he was thinking is the corners were going to take out the top two receivers and Jennings was going to get the third guy. And he was going to go crazy.
Speaker 3: He thought, Alvin Harper is going to have a big game. Yeah, the guy throws another Tennessee guy.
Speaker 5: By the way, he would have been.
Speaker 4: The MVP if they wanted to get right, he would have been the MVP.
Speaker 3: Who was a high school quarterback.
Speaker 5: He was very good.
Speaker 3: As soon as he threw the pass, I said, I bet he was a high school courter.
Speaker 4: And that was the worst play for a touchdown I think I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: I mean, how did the ball not get intercepted?
Speaker 3: Going back's design?
Speaker 6: So you got two guys out there, they're filling around trying to get off a block.
Speaker 4: The ball is not even thrown yet you still can't get off the block. It was just it was just crazy.
Speaker 3: And then Bolton the academic All America, that's right, Surrey, he guessed outside. McCaffrey was going to run outside and he took off inside.
Speaker 4: Well, he did his job. He made him which was what job. He did his job.
Speaker 3: He captured the edge.
Speaker 4: Guys.
Speaker 5: And if you listened to the halftime analysis, they were acting like Kansas City was way out of the game. It's ten to three and it took a freak play to get to ten. Oh, double digit they got to come back from double digit? Well it was ten to nothing. Yeah, you score once, it's not double digit.
Speaker 3: And I was amazed that double digits are is what the Cowboys fall behind, right, and it was nothing. It wasn't twenty one to we know about what double digit definite? Okay, don't tell us about double digit deficits.
Speaker 5: Both the backs at halftime ended up with the same amount of passing yards one three to one twenty three.
Speaker 3: Ohen, did you know that Patrick mahomes three hundred and thirty three yards is the same as the address of the Yes?
Speaker 6: Yes, so what do we make of that?
Speaker 5: Hair was the best thing that was said after the game?
Speaker 4: What even said?
Speaker 3: It was thirty three? Thirty three?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it wasn't thirty three. Right after the game. Uh, they were in one of the stations, was enter any interviewing Andy Reid and his wife was up there with him and they were talking about her being, you know, the MVP of the family or whatever, and Andy Reid ghosts, I don't know. She had five kids and it ruined my body.
Speaker 4: That's funny. I like that. He's a jokes to Yeah, you hear me go.
Speaker 7: By the way, it's like a dry since.
Speaker 5: Bill brought it up. Former University Missouri offensive line coach too.
Speaker 3: By the way, that's right, that's right, way back when you were back, even after you were in school. You're going to go that far back.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 3: All right. As we go to break, I've got a trivia question. It relates to the Juwan Jennings touchdown pass. Okay, let me find the question before I.
Speaker 10: Who was the highest who was the highest rated high school quarterback recruit who played in the Super Bowl yesterday? Who was the highest rated high school quarterback recruit who played in the Super Bowl yesterday? That answer when we come back here on mix shots.
Speaker 11: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 5: And they snapped the press guy who it's not there. He escaped, flapped. He'll look full pumps down.
Speaker 4: Just like football.
Speaker 11: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade crypto currency.
Speaker 3: Prescott's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 11: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 4: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 11: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 8: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound.
Speaker 3: Like something is missing.
Speaker 8: Pepsi baby the yin to this burger's yang. Burgers and pepsi go together like well, like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of let us, every sesame seed on the bun, and every sip of that crisp refreshing, ice cooled koola a journey to foutopia.
Speaker 7: Burgers better with pepsi, That's what I like.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 13: Did you know that responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone? Beat scammers at their own game by subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX.
Speaker 3: Demitt shuts.
Speaker 9: K Post Roofing and Waterproofing the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Okay, before we get away from it, the trivia question was who was the highest rated high school quarterback recruit playing in the Super Bowl yesterday?
Speaker 4: All right, what position does he play? Now?
Speaker 3: I'm not going to give you that him.
Speaker 7: I asked Bell what team? And he won't give me that.
Speaker 3: She asked what team? I said, either Kansas City or San Francisco. Here's another hint. He's a former cowboy. He's a former cowboy, Randy Gregor, former cal It's not Ward, It's not Randy Gregory. It's not Jake Brindle the center for the San Francisco forty nine ers, who was a college free agent. Here it is tight end for Kansas City. Blake Bell, the Bell Dozer, who is the number He was the number one rated to talk about that. He had ten snaps in the game and he had a huge block on one of the key runs at the end of the game. He was a number one rated dual threat quarterback out of Wichita, Kansas in twenty ten. Blaine Gabbert, the former Missouri Tiger, was the number two pro style quarterback recruit in two thousand and eight. Okay, so he is the second highest rated. The third highest rated quarterback coming out of high school in yesterday's game was Sam Darnold, number five overall or number five quarterback in twenty fifteen. Juwan Jennings was the fourth highest rated quarterback, number seven in twenty fifteen. Did you take the Brandon Pallen San Francisco Thirdeam San Francisco Third Team quarterback Brandon Allen out of Arkansas was the number eight high school quarterback recruit in twenty eleven. Finally we get to one, two, three, four five the sixth highest rated quarterback coming out of high school that played in the game yesterday. Patrick Mahomes was number twenty two in twenty fourteen, and the number seven was Brock Purdy, who was number thirty six among quarterbacks coming out in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 5: Did that make Bill Jones sports special last night?
Speaker 3: It did not?
Speaker 5: Which, by the way, what time did you to deliver that today?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 5: What did you get on?
Speaker 3: I got on? I got out at eleven forty five okay, forty five out? And I looked up this trivia question about one fifteen in the morning before I went to bed.
Speaker 5: My guest was going to be. It was a running quarterback, Deebo Samuel Well.
Speaker 3: I haven't looked him up. Maybe he would, I think. Okay, anyway, there you go, and there's a cowboy connection there, Blake Bell who was spent one year, one year tight end here and then he got back to Kansas City and started winning more Super.
Speaker 5: Bowl fast as he could.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Uh, and.
Speaker 4: You enjoyed the kicking. You enjoyed the kicking game yesterday. The kicking game, just the kicking game on. The kickers were good.
Speaker 5: The kickers were very good.
Speaker 9: Coverage team was good to special teams except for Moody missing the first extra point of his career.
Speaker 4: Is that crazy?
Speaker 6: I mean, come on, it gets blocked, that's all that's well.
Speaker 4: I think it was kind of low.
Speaker 3: It was low, but it was a high snap, as Jay Feely pointed out on the CBS broadcast.
Speaker 5: But yeah, that he blamed it on the kicker fifty seven.
Speaker 3: Ye, Pey did well because of the high snap. So I guess you're blaming it on them snaps.
Speaker 5: What Steve Hoffman taught me, if the ball comes back and it's flat on the ground, the kicker when the extra point was close, you got to make it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just no elevated quickly. Yeah. Do you want to do a little update on what's going on here with the Cowboys? And back on Thursday night, it appeared that it was eminent that new defensive coordinator was going to be named shortly, and here we are Monday morning and one hasn't been named. Now, I know the NFL teams are basically told by the league. Let's focus on the super Bowl, and so there's not going to be a press release, but work. Can you tell us it stands with Mike Zimmer as a defensive coordinator.
Speaker 5: The last thing I heard was that the contract had not been completed. They needed to cross the t's and dot the i's, and as of this morning was still haven't got official word that he's been named the defensive coordinator, which I highly endorsed on Wednesday in mix shots. So did Darren Woodson, by the way, who once again once again does not make before we get I don't want to get in the down with this.
Speaker 4: Yeah we are, though this one.
Speaker 5: Zim seemed to be the natural choice to me and I and I think I said it last week, the natural everybody's and ever since you made me think about it when you said, well, don't they have a young guy up and coming to promote? And my thought on that is, if there's an up and young guy coming and he's got a secure job, is he going to come somewhere where it's a one year contract on the head coach where somebody else he may be working for somebody that's got three four years. Same thing with Joe Witt, he goes with Dan Quinn to Washington. Well, Dan's got to have at least a five year deal. He stays here, it's a one year deal for sure, so a.
Speaker 7: Lot more job security.
Speaker 5: So I always thought it would be somebody that probably was out of work. Uh, and that's why Ron Rivera was in on it. The other thing that occurred to me is if you if you hire Zim, which is still a possibility, can you bring in another guy as the defensive consultant, sort of like they did with George Edwards. I don't know if that'll happen, but but now they lose Aiden Dirty to Seattle as the defensive coordinator. Joe went to Washington as the defensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: What's going on with him?
Speaker 5: He's still here and I think, you know, he's a guy that they need.
Speaker 3: To hang on to him.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, And I don't know if he would get the job as coordinator ordinator, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Which puts you in position, a greater position to be a defensive coordinator right now.
Speaker 5: The other thing.
Speaker 4: Seems he's earned that.
Speaker 5: Oh absolutely. And Joe Witt's title was secondary coach past game cortern. Al Harris's title was defensive back coach.
Speaker 4: So that's pretty simple. Yeah, yeah, that's pretty cut, and.
Speaker 5: We'll see what what happens there. They also lost Sharif Floyd, who was a defensive young defensive assistant. I think it was just this first year. I think Quinn brought him to Washington with him. So those guys were able to get a promotion. Now what occurred to me. You remember how San Francisco took advantage of this having people promoted to head coach and you get an extra draft pick, you get a couple. Actually, yeah, they got it. They got fun right well around the league, do you get something when one of your guys gets elevated in to.
Speaker 3: A coordinators My understanding is no, it's.
Speaker 5: Got a head coach manager.
Speaker 3: Yes, okay, because I look that up because I was I thought the same thing. Uh, but it's head coach or defensive coordinator. He actually get two picks of the third rounder this year in the next year for a head coach.
Speaker 5: For a head coach. Yeah, okay, so that's kind of where they at on the coaching staff. Uh so they're going to have to find a defensive line coach uh and another secondary coach and uh.
Speaker 3: Rex Ryan on ESPN yesterday, he certainly made it sound like. In fact, he flat out said that it's my understanding that Mike Zimmer doesn't have that job so far. I mean they he uh, he did say that. He went on to say that he thinks that this Cowboys team, you know, he's been out of work for seven years whatever, and there's jobs he could have taken, whatever, but he wasn't going to go unless he had a chance to win a super Bowl. And he thinks that this Cowboys team, this defense is just to tick away from getting over the hump. And he personally called Mike McCarthy and he said that I want to be your guy, and because and he was touting the defense and where it is right now and how he thinks that he can do some things to put.
Speaker 4: It over the top.
Speaker 3: And so anyway, that's and apparently the people here in Dallas liked what they heard from Rex Ryan.
Speaker 4: But I just.
Speaker 5: From a personality standpoint, I think Zim fits better with Mike McCarthy. And McCarthy probably has he knows Zim just from competing against him in.
Speaker 3: Twice a year, the number of years.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And and the Cowboys know Zim and he's pretty good at what he does as a defensive coordinator. By the way, I just think that that just seems natural to me if they can get the contract worked out, and he you know.
Speaker 3: You would think that the reason you don't get the contract worked out. I mean that was Thursday night that Jerry, and so you have your attorneys looking at it whatever. And so this is the start of the work week on Monday. Now if it stretches a couple more days, then okay, then maybe there's an issue.
Speaker 5: And he wasn't totally out of work for two years. He did work as a He worked with the defensive analyst or consulting at Jackson State for one year and then Dion brought him into Colorado to talk to the team.
Speaker 6: Both he and both he and Dion's favorite person is Dennis that's right. He was a Rex loved Dennis Derman when he was coaching.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're talking about Rex Ryan, all right?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 3: Right, And Dennis Thurman was the defensive coordinator for Rex Ryan at Buffalo And in fact, Stephan Gilmore says that he credits Dennis Thurman with turning around or getting his career jump started a couple of years into it, and he went on and became the NFL Defensive Player of the.
Speaker 6: Year, and he coached for Dion as well at Colorado.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know, and give me the book here. I just want to remind myself. So Bill Parsals gets and well he should all that credit for the Cowboys turning around in twenty thousand and three five.
Speaker 3: I mean going to a three four defense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but he in two thousand and three they got in the playoffs, right, And if I remember correctly, in two thousand and three, the Cowboys defense was ranked number one under Mike Zimmer, so that one always got lost. And when they were really bad in two thousand they were. They were nineteenth, fourth, eighteenth, and then first, and those first three teams were five and eleven. But they were playing pretty well defensively. So Zim is pretty good at what he does, and he's pretty aggressive, and he won't take any s from anybody, including Michaeh. Parsons.
Speaker 3: Did We're going to get to the Hall of Fame voting here in the next segment, but as we wrap up this one, did you happen to see what Jordan Love said on Michael Parsons podcast?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I did not.
Speaker 7: What did he say?
Speaker 3: Micah, it is very interesting. It's great. I mean, here we are just a couple of weeks after three weeks after the Packers beat the count Boys, and here you got the quarterback and the edge rusher of the star player and Cowboys talking with each other about that game, and Mike is asking Jordan Lowe, Okay, so tell me what what did you see? How what did you do? What was your strategy against us? What did you see whatever? And he said, you know, we're looking at your defense, and we knew we needed to run the ball. And I mean, we we had success before when he wasn't the quarterback Rogers was we had success the year before, able to establish the run. And then he said, and you know, not to start anything up, but you know we're looking at that defense and you're you're playing dB at linebacker.
Speaker 5: Well that was that was no.
Speaker 3: Secret, no secret. It was interesting that what we've been seeing, we've been seeing the last half of the year. I mean, it was so obvious.
Speaker 6: That I saw, we can't find the linebacker nowhere, nowhere, out there in the universe.
Speaker 5: Up he was getting double teamed at defensive end. Should have been.
Speaker 3: So anyway, I thought that was very interesting.
Speaker 5: It's very interesting.
Speaker 3: So and you can find it out there somewhere, all right. When we come back. We got much more to get to, including the Hall of Fame voting last week.
Speaker 12: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved ATA Museum dot org.
Speaker 14: Cowboys Football and Miller Lite.
Speaker 4: What a pairing can.
Speaker 14: Crack's a kickoff tailgates going waypast postgame Sunday night overtimes, followed by Monday morning Swagger, Brisket and the Smoker. Miller Lite and the Clue, America's team playing America's greatest sport. Miller Lyte, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. Dallas Cowboys Football taste like Miller Time, Celebrate Responsibly. Twenty twenty three Miliberal Company Fort Worth, Texas.
Speaker 13: Did you know they're responding to one spam call can lead to more? Or that the IRS would never ask for your Social Security number on the phone. Beat scammers at their own game. By subscribing to AARP FraudWatch Network alerts and texts. At AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers TX, you can sign up to receive information that helps you recognize and avoid the latest scams. That's AARP dot org slash Beat Scammers T.
Speaker 8: Yes, you know that sound anywhere. It's the crisp crunch, that first nacho chip with its perfect cheese to sour cream ratio sitting atop a layer of delicious beans. It's a sip away from perfection.
Speaker 7: That's what we're looking for.
Speaker 8: Add a delicious, refreshing pepsi, and we've achieved absolute nacho nirvana. Because while you can pile those nachos high with every spicy, cheesy, savory.
Speaker 7: Topping, there's no topping.
Speaker 8: A cool pepsi. Finish nachos better with pepsi.
Speaker 3: That's what I like.
Speaker 5: Mixed shots.
Speaker 9: Dallas Cowboys game Time powered by Lenovo, the official gaming platform and community of the Dallas Cowboys. Sign up now to compete in Fortnite for a chance to win a VIP experience at the twenty twenty four.
Speaker 7: Dallas Cowboys Draft Party.
Speaker 9: Qualifiers begin on February twenty fourth and run through the twenty eighth. Learn more and register at Dallas Cowboys game time dot com.
Speaker 3: Now, what was that about four Fortnite set?
Speaker 9: Again, it's a gaming platform, so Fortnite they're going to do a competition to win a VIP experience.
Speaker 3: I thought it was interesting. Alex Smith was talking about Patrick Mahomes when he came into the league and credit Patrick Mahomes last night, crediting Alex Smith for their success and his success because he was able to sit behind him and he was just drafted into a culture of winning and he then took that and you know that set the tone for his career. But Alex Smith was talking about Patrick Mahomes and he said, yeah, when he came here, you know, he's a good kid, and you know he had good study habits, but he played video games way too much, and so I think he had the video games he got that out of his Maybe Alex Smith had that effect on Patrick as a college kid coming I remember myself. I mean they didn't have video games back in by name. But I would sit there for hours playing games or whatever. You know.
Speaker 6: I think depending on what you play, some of it can give you some of it good, a good idea on the concept and what you have to do as a quarterback.
Speaker 3: If you're playing a football game.
Speaker 5: Yes, I mean not a Fortnite.
Speaker 4: Never mind.
Speaker 3: I remember this or twelve years ago. There was a linebacker here not named Sean Lee, and he used to post on Twitter how it was during the season. He would post about some video game he's playing on why aren't.
Speaker 4: You sed to? We'll get running game?
Speaker 3: But it showed up on game day on the film too that he couldn't read and react. So anyway, all right, the Hall of Fame voting talk about a guy who did things the right way throughout his career, Darren Woodson, and he's finalist for the second straight year. But he does not get that knock on his door.
Speaker 5: So the one and you guys correct me if I'm wrong. I understood probably five of the six guys that got selected. Patrick Willis. Was he that good?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 3: Let me run down just so it to review Julius Pepper's first ballot. Devin Hester, Dwight Freeney, Andre Johnson, Patrick Willis, and then the senior inductees Steve McMichael and Randy Gratis shar And by the way, I don't know if it is well, I don't know if you saw the piece that ESPN ran yesterday morning on Steve McMichael, Oh my god, I mean there wasn't there. If you saw that, you would not have a dry eye. I mean I just had tears rolling down my face after seeing that. And then they came out of it. And of course Rex Ryan was with the Bears. His dad was the defensive coordinator with the Bears when McMichael was playing the old forty six defense and the eighty five Bears, and so he was as a young guy hanging around the team a lot what McMichael was all about. And uh, to see him and he's battling the latter stages of als and it's just rip your heart out and you just you're just so happy that and uh, I think it was Richard Dent who called him and on the phone and he's laying in his bed and uh, they had the video of him getting the call from Richard Dent that he's going the Hall of Fame. And you can see because his mind is still alert, everything's there, it's just his body has deteriorated so much with this horrible disease. And uh, you could see his reaction of elation when he got the call and for him to have made it this far where he knows that he's, you know, his culmination of his career. I just hope he can make it to uh physically, I don't know if it would be hard for him to get to Canton himself. But anyway, but as an aside, I mean, it's just an unbelievable story. And uh, the guys on the set couldn't talk after seeing that, under standboy. Yeah, So anyway, go back to Patrick Willis and Darren Woodson in the debate.
Speaker 5: Patrick Willis, Yeah, he was good, was he?
Speaker 3: He just didn't have the longevity.
Speaker 6: I'm not saying that I agree with it, but you know, it's like when I didn't make it that year. I got on the bus and they're like, oh, man, I thought you made it because I took my time coming down.
Speaker 4: I was gonna pissed off.
Speaker 6: So I took my time getting on the bus to go to the NFL, honest thing. And they say oh man, I thought you made it. You should have made it. And I told him on the bus, guys, we all should have made it. You know, everybody's drug. Everybody's damn good, so we all should.
Speaker 4: Have made it. You know. So whatever.
Speaker 6: You know, measurement they're using to keep Woody out, you know, the fact that he's damn good, that goes without saying.
Speaker 4: The point is why isn't he in? You know?
Speaker 6: I mean, man, that's a heck of a story. But man, you know it's a lot of people out there hurting and probably not as bad and not about trying to compare. But you know, we gotta go in the marriage right now. I mean, you're gonna Michael.
Speaker 3: Michael was a senior candidate right right now.
Speaker 6: And you know, you could pick all kinds of reasons to pick a guy. You know him, I gave a dog on kidney, so what. But that don't mean anything. It has nothing to do with with football, you know. And once again, you know, tragedy is all around us at this age, you know, but you know, what does does Darren have to you know, fall on some type of tragedy for someone saying, oh man, let's go ahead and put.
Speaker 5: Him in that pretty soon he's going to start running out of time his twenty years.
Speaker 3: I want to say he's got four years left on it.
Speaker 5: I think so because his last year was two thousand and three, so five fifteenth year of eligibility.
Speaker 4: How mean super Bowl wins? Does he have?
Speaker 3: Three?
Speaker 4: Yep? Right there, right there?
Speaker 7: Compared to some of these other guys, what are they?
Speaker 4: What is le Roy Butler? I always go with Leroy Butler, and uh.
Speaker 3: And Patrick Willis. He was five time First Team All Pro, seven time Pro Bowler, All Decade Team, the twenty tens, NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. I mean he's got just as ever since said all these guys have credited. If you become a finalist, you have credentials good enough to get in. Yes, it's just a question of it's just when you only put five of the modern day candidates in each year, there's you know, and they've had this rule for decades, the only five get in. Well, the team the league has expanded. There are more players now than that are merit can consideration.
Speaker 5: And my point is how many defensive guys do the Cowboys have in the Hall of Fame. Bob Lilly Randy White, mel renfro COLI, now.
Speaker 4: We count him.
Speaker 5: They don't count them in there, I should Cliff Cliff Harris, did I forget anybody? Charles Haley?
Speaker 3: Okay, so how about let's just look at the Cowboys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me finish Haley's it. Uh. And Darren Woodson has more tackles than anybody else in franchises, a lot more solo tackles than anybody else in franchise history. And his second in special teams tackles really compared to all other guys. Yeah, second to Bill Bates.
Speaker 4: Wow, so that's new.
Speaker 5: So just put that in context of what he meant to this franchise, to this organization.
Speaker 6: And I look, I look at the ones that of his era. You look at I look at the Labroie Butler's you know, I look at him, like, what did he do that.
Speaker 4: Darren didn't do?
Speaker 5: Steve Atwater was.
Speaker 4: My next one.
Speaker 6: That's my next one, Like, how are these guys elevated over Woody?
Speaker 4: I believe wood he's older than they are.
Speaker 3: Right, they're about he's fifty four, about.
Speaker 4: The same I thought.
Speaker 5: But he came in in ninety two.
Speaker 4: I thought that.
Speaker 6: I thought Woody was always the standard for what a strong safety should play like, and then he even went beyond that when you're talking about special teams, tackles and just the things that once again, we bring it up all the time, but I don't think these young reporters give a damn about the fact that he came down and played as And here's the they don't even look at those little nuances.
Speaker 5: The thing though, here's the other thing. I went on the end of the Pro Football Hall of Fame website and they got a list of the fifty people that vote, and I just, off the top of my head started counting guys that would have been covering the NFL when Woody was playing for those thirteen years.
Speaker 7: And what was the number.
Speaker 5: I got to, thirty eight out of fifty, and some of them I didn't recognize, so they could have been, but for sure thirty eight.
Speaker 4: So it's not like he's unknown, right right.
Speaker 5: It's not like there's somebody that's thirty five years old voting. So I just don't get it.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry, guy, the anti cowboy the bias is there. You can say what you want to say, because every time he loses, every time he doesn't get in to me, it just strengthens that theory.
Speaker 7: So remind me, what is the eligibility going forward?
Speaker 3: It's the for him for the modern day, you get twenty years of chances after you have to be retired for five years and then your twenty year clock starts from there. And so he's been retired.
Speaker 4: So twenty five years after retire, Yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Then you move into the sor home with everything.
Speaker 5: So you're a dark bell.
Speaker 3: Where the senior citizen class and then the senior citizens like ever soon they get nominated. They've actually expanded that a little bit here where they like they had three candidates this year out of the senior citizens and the contributors, and before it was just one. And so ever since fell victim to that for a little bit for the first thirty years that he was a senior citizen and.
Speaker 4: Then I'm visiting a knife in my hands.
Speaker 5: I mean before they called it senior, I think they called it old timers.
Speaker 4: That accurate.
Speaker 3: So what he is four years away now from uh not being even considered in the modern day. So and he's up against Rodney Harrison, right, I mean, it's a long gym there right now. As far as the safety position, goes with Rodney Harrison and who was it? There was one of them. I can't remember who it was. Who is who got in this year? I think he was in a log gym like that and he just called. He just let the committee know that, Hey put that guy in. Okay, the guy he was up against. So if we if what he said called and said, go ahead, put Rodney Harrison in, that'll clear the logjam. And then Harrison would go in one year, and then what he would go in the next year, even though what he deserves to go in for him?
Speaker 4: But I do I think that anyway?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean Dion Sanders couldn't say enough about him.
Speaker 3: It's it's like the committee sits there and they say, okay, they're not looking at they're looking at positions. Well, we can't have two safeties go in the same year you want to have, right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean even in the modern day, I don't think there was one defensive back, right, there wasn't a dB. So how dare we go without putting the dB in? I mean, he got all kinds of statements you can make, right.
Speaker 5: And and they they shouldn't call him a safety, should be defensive back guy.
Speaker 3: You know what position he'd played. Now, he'd be playing linebackers.
Speaker 5: The Cowboys.
Speaker 3: He was six pounds playing I mean he's yeah, I mean he literally which is a testament to his versatility. He could play that position, he can play in the slot, he can play deep safety, could play all.
Speaker 5: Those and he did right, and he did right every year. It's like what he was like, okay, a special teams and Ariazano would not take them off special teams. Finally they moved him to what's the guy way out on the edge on the kickoff team, the nine, the nine spot or whatever. So he's kind of.
Speaker 6: The guy, the safety guy, the safety, he's basically the safety that yeah, that's the safety. Yeah, last guy back, he's the guy next to you. You know, he's got everything and then you just clean up anything cost.
Speaker 5: Finally he pushed him out there. But this guy is playing fifty snap sixty snaps.
Speaker 6: The only reason I'm sure what he didn't really care about that part.
Speaker 4: You don't kickoff, you kind of get a warm up, yeah yeah, so when they run down there, you get a warm.
Speaker 3: Especially these days, you just running down the feeling the balls going down the end zone, and so you look real good running out the field.
Speaker 5: And that's why, that's why I get a kick out of those guys kickoff coverage that you know, the balls kicked out of the end zone and here they come charging all the way.
Speaker 4: The good ball's been inought. I saw that last night.
Speaker 5: We made a joke about everybody.
Speaker 4: She was running like, OK, who is this guy? What is he going?
Speaker 3: Henning?
Speaker 4: He did, he was.
Speaker 3: He knew that was his super Bowl, was going for it. It was his fifteen seconds of things.
Speaker 5: Oh, I was gonna since you mentioned, I don't know if you guys saw this. So it was on CBS what that before the pregame stuff started. They did an ode to the original NFL Today with Brett Musburger. It was really looking live, Yes, yeah it was. And they told the whole story about Jimmy the Greek and Philip George across Jane Kennedy.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 5: It was super Uh it was a half hour, half hour. It could have been longer. I don't know. I watched the whole thing.
Speaker 4: I think it brought.
Speaker 15: It was like the first black female, yes probably yeah, and Cross was the first Philadelphical. Don Perkins was in the Cowboys ring of honor. He went straight from playing when he retired in sixty eight or so to a network.
Speaker 5: Position after games.
Speaker 3: I think was he doing games? He wasn't so Cross was the first studio, but I do remember Don Perkins being in the studio some but yes, yeah, and then Miss America pageant.
Speaker 5: Basically she ended up marrying the governor from Kentucky Brown, John Brown maybe or whatever and any and then she left to do something else, and they hired Jane Kennedy and kept her for three or four years and then let her go because Phyllis wanted to come back. She wasn't very happy about it.
Speaker 4: He came to grantline.
Speaker 5: Oh really, we were crazy.
Speaker 4: I was seventeen years old. I was like, wow, this is good stuff.
Speaker 3: Phillis George from North Texas.
Speaker 5: North Texas, right, but yeah it was. If anybody can find it, go watch it. It was really good.
Speaker 3: All right, we got one minute left. But there's here some food for thought as far as the Chiefs are concerned. The Chiefs right now, I think are where the Cowboys were in nineteen ninety five. Going into nineteen ninety six, Cowboys had just won back to back Super Bowls. Three Super Bowls in the last four years, and the team is breaking up because free agency had just started. Whatever, Well, Kansas City is sitting there. They've won back to back Super Bowls, They've won three Super Bowls in the last five years. Mahomes about the same age as what aateman was at that point in his career. And now let's see what Kansas City does going forward. And from a free agency standpoint, they got not only the Mahomes contract, They've got Chris Jones, who's up now and keeping this thing together. It's going to be very interesting going forward if they how much longer, even though they've got Patrick Mahomes, because the Cowboys had Troy Yiateman once upon a time in nineteen ninety five, and it's very difficult to keep this thing together.
Speaker 5: And they need help on their offensive line. And Kelsey is not getting any young ye by the way, I.
Speaker 3: Don't mean there's a retirement talk about him, you know, and there's retirement talk about Andy Reid, and.
Speaker 5: So he put it and do it. It sounded like, well, I'm.
Speaker 3: Not talking immediate yet in the next yeah, So it's gonna be very interesting.
Speaker 4: I can care less about what the hell they.
Speaker 7: Do the Cowboys going to ordinator.
Speaker 6: As of today. I'm done with their asses. I'm talking about Cowboys.
Speaker 5: In February nineteenth and we'll pick up there right, we're turning.
Speaker 7: The leaf, right.
Speaker 3: Congratulations to you, Dallas Texans and now the Dallas Cowboy when we come back next time here on mix Shots.
Speaker 4: Oh Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.