Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News. Welcome to the Bloomberg This Weekend Podcast with David Gura, Christina Raffini, and Lisa Matteo.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us for today's selection of conversations from the show.
Speaker 3: You can listen to our favorite discussions right here on the podcast, but also make sure to join us live every Saturday and Sunday morning, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 4: We're on Bloomberg Television, Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle and culture.
Speaker 5: The two chambers of Congress at an impasse over how to fund the Department of Homeland Security. That's after a series two late night votes, no clear solution. Both the House and the Senate are now on easter recess.
Speaker 2: President Trump signed a memo to PAYTSA workers who have worked without pay for weeks now, of course, leading to those sprawling lines that you've seen at US air Force Airports. Joining us now from Washington, we have Bloomberg News Congression reporter Eric Wilson. Eric, I appreciate you getting up. I saw you sending notes very late last night. We did offer to send you coffee but you told us shockingly and very impressively that you've never used door dash or uber eats.
Speaker 6: I wanted to focus on that before.
Speaker 2: We get to Congress because it's so lovely one night.
Speaker 7: As you can see behind me, I print books, you know, so we make our own breakfast.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 7: I do appreciate the offera guys.
Speaker 9: All right, we're very grateful.
Speaker 2: Nonetheless, can you walk us through where everything is at? You know, the Senate passed a version of this with an ice carve out. It went to the House and then it went nowhere. The House has done something that's doa in the Senate. Just please update us on what's going on into the use chambers.
Speaker 7: It's an extraordinary breach between House and Senate Republicans, you know. John Thune crafted this bill middle of the night, basically funding the full Department of Homeland Security for the rest of the physical year till October, except for border patrol and ice immigration enforcement activities. That passed unanimously on a voice vote. As soon as to the House, it was promptly rejected by the House Freedom Caucus and Speaker of Mike Johnson, who's always, you know, trying to shore up support with different parts of his conference went along with that Freedom Caucus demand to reject the Senate bill. Instead, they passed an eight week continuing resolution for the whole department, but that again funds ICE without any new reforms that Democrats have demanded, and Chuck Schumer said that's da, So the standoff continues. Importantly, Trump has signed this memo paying TSA agents as soon as Monday, so that should alleviate the lines. But it's important to point out there are other members of the Department, whether your secret Service worker, you know, human trafficking, people in the Secretary's office, you know, people who are doing communications. You know, there are a lot of people who are not going to get paid, continue to not get paid. It's it's going to become a difficult thing. This is over forty days now, you know, and they're going to be held hostage. I don't see the Senate and House coming back during this two week recess. I don't really see a solution anytime soon. The main thing they're going to try to do is budget reconciliation bill and a massive package of the Trump tax bill, where they did put some immigration enforcement money, but they need all Republicans to unite. Everyone wants to throw their things in. I talked to a member of the New York delegation who wants the salt deduction of all things extended again. So this is going to become a massive food fight and these workers are going to be held hostage. Now that President could try an extraordinary measure to try to potentially illegally pay those other DHS workers from this fund for border security. But you know, I don't see a solution anytime soon that's really permanent.
Speaker 5: You bring up the President, and I want to play a little bit of sound here of the President in Miami last night speaking of that FII conference, addressing what's transpired here and also his relationship with the leadership in the Congress.
Speaker 10: To take a listen.
Speaker 8: I understand John Tune, and I understand Mike Johnson. They want to be sure that people aren't coming into our country like they have for the last four years.
Speaker 11: I don't want to say they've ruined it. They made my job a lot harder.
Speaker 5: They made my job a lot harder. The President, they're on the tarmac traveling to that conference. I'm Eric Watson. Talk a bit about the presence engagement not with this memo finding a way to pay these TSA workers, but with this issue more broadly, and what that says about even more broadly than that, the way that he's been interacting with this Congress and with congressional leadership.
Speaker 7: It was an extraordinary comment because it almost like Trump was playing peacemaker between feuding House and Senate Republican leaders, which I'm sure a role that he would enjoy. He is still questing after that Nobel Peace Prize AfterAll, you know, but he's trying to, I think, in that case, smooth over differences. It's extraordinary that that, you know, Speaker doesn't called what Fune did a joke ridiculousness. We asked him about it, he tried to sort of sidestep in and say that that was Chuck Schumer who really engineered this. But we're trying to see what kind of long term consequences of this rift will be. Can they do this new tax and spending bill? Are they able to unite in a midterm message? Certainly the tension between the two chambers is extraordinary, you know. But the immigration issue was historically one of Trump's strong suits. I think the American public generally want stronger borders. But then what happened in Minnesota with the ICE enforcement, the sort of chaos and the practices sort of weakened his popularity on that gave Democrats and opening to demand these changes.
Speaker 12: That was very interesting.
Speaker 7: Last night there was a small press conference barely attended by media of Brian Fitzpatrick and Tom Swasey, two members of the Problem Solvers Caucus, and they have a very intriguing idea to sort of pass some of these reforms. You know, a Congress that's more open to conference would probably embrace something like that, but such a long shot. They're even talking about a discharge petition, a really long shot petition to try to get this done. But Congress is nowhere near grappling with this. But I think if the public were to be consulted, they would want to see some kind of changes to ICE behavior, maybe not having masked agents, you know, being able to go willy nearly into people's homes.
Speaker 5: Eric Watson, thank you very much again, appreciate you joining us here on the Saturday morning earlier.
Speaker 2: We want to bring in Jill Degenevitch. She's a TSA worker in Las Vegas and the Nevada union representative Jill. First of all, I just want to check.
Speaker 11: In on you.
Speaker 2: How are you doing. I know you've got kids. I know I can't imagine how tough this has been. Missing a paycheck. Just bring us up to date about how you're doing and what your frustrations are.
Speaker 13: Well, yeah, definitely, very very frustrated. We are incredibly thankful that Trump did put out the executive order that we supposedly start to be paid on Monday. We're supposed to get our back pay, only nothing continuing on. So it's while we are thankful and we're grateful that we will supposedly be getting that, it's really just a temporary band aid because we're not going to be paid from here on out. It's just our back pay, so essentially we're just resetting the clock.
Speaker 5: What has the conversation been like among you and your colleagues as all of this is unfolded. We've seen the numbers of those who have left, decided to quit, or haven't gone to work because they have been getting paychecks. What have you been talking about with your colleagues about how this has gone and what it says just about the the state of the government, the state of the agency.
Speaker 13: It's frustrating because this is the third ten that this has happened in five months, and because it keeps happening, We're just wondering what that means for the future of our agency. You know, privatization has been thrown out there a lot, it's been being talked about a lot more, and the fact that they're so easily able to shut us down, we are frankly just worried about our jobs in the future.
Speaker 2: Is there any concern about this impacting the safety of the flying public. I know that the workers who are on the job are doing their absolute best, but you know, about forty percent of workers have called and stick across the country. According to the AP, there's about five hundred TSA workers who reportedly have quit due to lack of payment and frustration. At some point, is this going to start impacting safety or are we there already?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 10: I don't think.
Speaker 13: Safety is going to be affected because we still do have our very dedicated officers that are on the job serving the public. However, those lines will continue to go up the more that we lose officers and the more that people called out, so it'll just take a lot longer and people will end up missing their flights more because of it.
Speaker 5: Jill, what's it been like having ICE agents deployed in the airports? I think when that was first and Nounce, something that we were talking about on the show is what would that look like? Would they be doing some of the work that you and your colleagues do. Are they working alongside you or with you? Just on a very granular level. What has it been like having them in the airports.
Speaker 13: Well, we haven't actually had them deployed in Las Vegas because our lines haven't been that long. However, because they aren't trained to do our jobs, I don't know how much help they would actually be. Essentially, they would be delegated to roles serving out into queue, moving traffic, pushing it around, helping passengers divest items from their bags. Essentially, I don't know how helpful that would be to us, because again, they aren't trained to do our jobs like we are, so they aren't properly able to help passengers divest items from their bags, thus leading to more bag checks on our end while we are actually screening those that luggage.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of what we're seeing for audio listeners is ICE agents they are on the airport, but even in the video we're watching right now, they're mostly ushering traffic through those I don't know what they're called, those like dizzy world style rope lines that we all have to go through so much of our lives. I someone to ask you, I don't tell us how long you've been with TSA, And look, it's a tough job. People at airports are cranky. I always try to be nice.
Speaker 10: Not everyone tries.
Speaker 2: Sure I can be nice, just not to you. I love my TSA agents that am nice to you.
Speaker 10: But it's a tough job.
Speaker 2: It takes skill, and it takes patience, and it has to be stressful. And I would imagine adding this kind of stress and uncertainty to a job that people probably went to looking for security and sustainability in their lives has to undercut the desire to do this job and for recruitment. Do you have any concerns long term about people wanting to be or stay TSA agents?
Speaker 13: Definitely. I have been with TSA for almost three years now, and so this is my first real experience going through this. It is just like we are living in a twilight zone right now. It is crazy to me that this is happening. I did not expect that this would happen when I initially signed on to federal service three years ago. I believe that this would be a nice, safe, secure career job for me. I thought it was a great opportunity with recruitment. I believe that people will be coming in and they will be cognizant of the fact that, yes, this is an agency that can be shut down very easily, and so I don't know that we would get the highest quality of people that we normally would have because of that.
Speaker 12: Jill, I want to ask you where all this is headed.
Speaker 5: You brought up the specter of privatization a moment ago, and I've noticed, I'm sure you have editorials and newspapers articles being written about how at some airports that do have private security, there haven't been these lines. There's an effort here to make it seem like that might be the solution going forward. I'm very curious sort of how worried that makes you, and you, being a representative of your union, sort of what you're doing to make the case that that should not be the route that this country goes.
Speaker 13: Down with privatization. That is going to be a for profit model. I don't believe that aviation security should ever be a pro for profit model. The beauty of it being a federal program is that you're not there to make money. You're there to screen passengers and share the highest levels of security. That is my biggest fear with going private, that these private screening companies would come in and they would cut costs wherever they can, whether that be with training, whether that be with background checks, whether that would be with hiring and implementing new equipment and programs. So that is my biggest concern with that is that they would be here to make money rather than to actually do the job that we're here to put forth, which is to screen passengers and luggage and keep America safe.
Speaker 2: All right, Jesse Janovitch, thank you so much for joining us, and I promise I will be very nice if I see you in Vegas.
Speaker 6: We really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Well, it's funny the lines haven't been that long at some Emerorks they have at others in New York, and there's like four four and a half hours, and just getting a grip on that throughout all of this, and it's unpredictable too.
Speaker 2: I think people are also getting to the airport's earlier, which you know they have usual peak times, they may not be used to because people are panicking. So is I my friend just want the JFCN. It was ninety minutes minutes, great but not terrible. It's workable.
Speaker 3: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this.
Speaker 2: All right, a little while ago, we spoke to Senators Todd Young, a Republican from Indiana, and Alyssa Slotkin, a Democrat from Michigan. That was just hours before the Senate passed a DHS funding package, which, as we just mentioned, the House rejected a new funding package, of course, is now stalled on the hip.
Speaker 5: We're focused so much on funding for the Department of Homeland Security and know that there's a standoff there between these two parties. Let me start with you first, sent or Young, Where are we in this process? How much closer are we to any kind of resolution to this partial shutdown that stretched on longer than a month?
Speaker 14: Well, I know I speak in a broadly bipartisan way. I know Centator Slotkin agrees with me. Where we are is exhausted with this issue. We want to come to terms in a bipartisan way. We want to fund TSA on our homeland to be more secure and listen, there have been some principal disagreements about ICE and how they are to operate, and other important public policy issues that have been in play, But I think we're all getting much closer to a meeting of minds on these issues.
Speaker 11: That's my sense.
Speaker 14: Our leaders are now talking somewhat sometimes through intermediaries, and I think there's a sense of urgency that I feel here in the halls of Congress to finally get this result for the American people, your.
Speaker 15: Sense, as well as sentator slackin Yeah, I mean, I think, look, we're about to We're supposed to be going on two weeks of you know, home leave, and I don't think anyone feels that we should be leaving, at least I don't until we figure this out.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 16: We also are the ones who travel through the airports twice a week and have to face the TSA officers who are keeping us safe while also not being paid. So I think it's coming to a head as it should. And I think, look, you know, personally, I think we're having a big cultural conversation on the roll of ICE and law enforcement in our streets. But the missions of all the other parts of homeland security. As a former CIA officer, I worked alongside those offices my entire career. I would fund them today, So I think there's actually a lot of overlap. We just need people to kind of buckle down, sit down, shut out the news media, no offense, and just get it done so we can go on with our lives. And then I think there's a bigger question about like we're the only country I know in the world that just constantly lives in these government shutdowns and allows people who are protecting us to be kind of at the mercy of these political conversations. I would be personally in full support of just not having this happen three times in a calendar year for these folks. So I think there's bigger reforms that we need, but at this point, just get or done. We all know what we need to do, and just sit in a room until you get it done.
Speaker 2: It does seem like dejevu all over again is happening again and again and again much sooner than it used to. At the risk of causing a rift in this lovely bi partisan tableau we have going on, I do want to ask both of you some questions about what's going on in Iran. Sana Sloka, and I'm starting with you four weeks and do you feel like the administration has a clear strategy in Iran?
Speaker 16: Well, look, I mean I serve three tours in Iraq alongside the military as a CIA officer, and you know, I know it is harder to get in to get out of a war that it is to get into a war. On the Armed Services Committee, so they've been briefing us. You know, I think it was hard to understand what the clear objectives are. So it's hard to understand exactly how we're doing. I have no love lost for the Iranian government. I watch them and the Iranian back militias kill friends of mine in Iraq. But until and unless we can have ships move through the state of Hormuz, until and unless you know, the average person in Michigan is actually not paying for this war through the pump, I think it's hard to say it's resolved.
Speaker 9: And I you know, I.
Speaker 16: Hope that we're figuring out quickly at the White House exactly how we're going to bring this to resolution. But right now, I think it's too soon to tell whether we're we can call ourselves winning, and certainly until the straits are open, we're not.
Speaker 2: Senator Young, same question to you, and do you have any idea what those two marine expeditionary units and the eighty second Airborne are planning to do once they arrive in the least Is that clear to you?
Speaker 11: No, I don't have great clarity on that.
Speaker 14: That's an operational matter, and I do believe that Congress has an important oversight role to play on such questions. I think that's the prerogative the Armed Services Committee and the Foreign Relations Committee, and I've indicated very publicly in the past that I think we needed to hold more hearings where possible, more public hearings before we get into major engagements. But that said, I know that President is determined to degrade any nuclear weapons development capabilities of the Islamic Republic of Iran. I know that he's determined to make sure that the Iranian proxies of this largest state sponsor of TAOR in the.
Speaker 11: World are degraded as well.
Speaker 14: We're making some good progress on that, and then the missile capabilities of this terroristic regime are also being degraded. So on all those fronts. We've made some positive progress. I think so many of us, the American people, back my Hoosier constituents and all across the country, want us to bring this to as quick of a close as possible.
Speaker 11: If we can.
Speaker 14: If we can indicate that across those three measures that I laid out, we've made some real progress and come up with a negotiated diplomatic solution to open up the Strait of Hormuz on an ongoing basis, then I think the President can rightly declare a victory, and the American people can resume their economic activity and ways of life, and our men and women in uniform who are performing so nobly and heroically can be safe and secure and proud of their mission.
Speaker 5: For each of you, just about that two hundred billion dollar supplemental that's being floated by it by the Pentagon. Is it something you support? What would it take for you to support it? I'll start with you, Senator Slockin.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 16: I mean, look, we've seen it floated. We haven't seen anything in black and white. And something I always commit to my constituents in Michigan is I read everything. I'm going to look at everything objectively, but I will say, you know, at the height of the wars in Iraq, in Afghanistan, when we had hundreds of thousands of troop deployed, things worn't going well in places like a rock. The biggest supplemental we ever approved through this body was one hundred million, and the ass here is two hundred million. So I'm going to open up the hood and look at anything that comes that is that size. And I'm skeptical that after getting an extra one hundred and fifty billion this past summer, on top of a nearly one trillion dollar Pentagon budget that they got just last year, I'm skeptical that I'm going to be like, you know, just rubber stamping anything like that. So, you know, and I think the American people are concerned about spending that kind of money. I will always read everything that's my obligation, and we haven't seen anything formally.
Speaker 12: Senator Young, how.
Speaker 11: About you, Well, we need to be skeptical.
Speaker 14: That's our jobs to scrutinize individual line items of spending requests rather than just giving the green light, especially when a check to the tune of two hundred billion dollars is requested. But I will say the armaments that we have been expending to carry out these operations have been incredibly expensive, and as we adapt to this new age of warfare and have to invest in other types of armaments while replenishing these older school armaments, that can become very expensive as we sort of make that transition. So I enter this exercise of looking through the requested supplemental package objectively, and I want to support carrying out that deterrence mission so we don't have to fight in any more wars, which is the most expensive thing for the American people. I want to make sure we have everything possible needed to avoid any future conflict.
Speaker 2: Senators, thank you so much. I understand you have a vote and you have to run, but I really appreciate you both taking the time and good luck with the legislation.
Speaker 11: Thanks so much, thank you.
Speaker 9: I mean that was nice to have.
Speaker 2: I can't remember the last time two senators.
Speaker 12: In cool blood partisan unity.
Speaker 6: Yeah exactly, you're on the show.
Speaker 5: Appreciate that, Senators Young and Slocke and joining us there to talk about the state of play. Yes, with that DHS funding, but with the request forthcoming request here for two unredrellion dollars in supplemental funding for the war in Iran.
Speaker 2: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend. Right after this. The war in Iran, as we've been talking about all morning and really all week, is rattling the markets. The S and P five hundred has fallen more than seven percent in the last five weeks, and the Nasdaq is in correction territory. But news that SpaceX is targeting a potential blockbuster of an IPO seventy five billion dollars, potentially the largest one ever, could inject a little bit of enthusiasm into the market.
Speaker 5: Jota is said to break all of this down. Is Bayle Lipschialt, senior reporter here at Bloomberg News. Bailey, great to have you with us. We want to talk about this IPO. We're waiting for SpaceX to file this perspectives, which could happen any day now. Before we get there, though, I want to get your perspective on what we saw over the course of the last week. This has been a market that has been I don't want to say complace it as this war is unfolded, but it does seem like there were doubts sown among investors here at the end of the week and it was a nasty Friday, to say the least.
Speaker 17: No, it was a nasty Friday. And David, you know this as well as anyone. If you are an investor, one thing you hate is uncertainty and the other thing is being long stocks or risk assets over a weekend where pretty much it's anyone's guest what the next thirty six hours will look like. And so when you really look at the price action that we saw on Friday in particular, it did seem like people either were adding up on bearish hedges or really dumping anything that was particularly risky, just given we don't know what the weekend will bring and when it really when you lay that across the entire month that was March, we've had a lot of volatility. To your point, you talk to bullish investors, well, hey we're only down five six seven percent depending on the index that you look at. That's not that bad all things considered. In every potential headline that a resolution is on the horizon typically brings at least a knee jerk reaction. But when I talk to folks on Wall Street, there still is this resounding hope that the problems will be addressed and the war will be ended sooner than later and then business can get back to usual. There aren't many people thinking about what happens if this drags on for another four or five weeks.
Speaker 2: So with all that in the backdrop, why do this now? Why does SpaceX want to do this now? And is this a FATA complete? Are they definitely doing it soon or might they wait? Given all this volatility.
Speaker 17: So the thing with IPOs or they can be long drawn out processes. With SpaceX, every detail is closely watched. So what we're waiting for is a confidential filing which would formally kick off the potential IPO path. The big thing to keep in mind is that SpaceX has kind of been vocal, at least through various media reports that they want to go public in June, and if you think back to two and a half months ago, the market backdrop was quite different. So when you look at the timeframe for SpaceX to go public, we could be in a very different market by the time it actually gets kind of on the launch pad and potentially goes public versus where we are now where submitting this document to the SEC just makes it easier to market the deal more formally to investors as opposed to setting any time of a shot clock, if you will.
Speaker 2: When I have logistics questions for you, guys have covered IPOs before, which I have not on this level. Do you have to like constantly is it like a DOJ filing? Do you have to constantly refresh the page waiting for that to pop up? Or do you know that they've posted it and like you know you can go get it.
Speaker 17: So with the Jobs Act, they opened up confidential filing, so technically they could submit and know one knows. So this could be something that they announced via press release. This could be something that US and competitors find from our sourcing and report out. Or we were joking with a few bankers in theory, we are understanding this is not the case. In theory, they could have submitted this a month ago and we're able to keep it tight lift and no one actually knows.
Speaker 10: Like this is the one aspect of that filing.
Speaker 17: And the big thing is you file the submission, you submit the filing confidentially, then you wait a month to go back and forth with the SEC from there. And that's kind of why this March timeframe was so critical for Elon to potentially meet his goal of going public by his birthday, which is the end of June.
Speaker 5: I got to give you props for using the IPO on the launchpad hun there.
Speaker 12: Which I'm sure was delivered Bailey.
Speaker 5: I want to ask you about what this company is kind of picking up off of that. I think there are a lot of people who think of SpaceX as a company that makes and shoots off rockets into space. It has grown to such more than that over the last many years. This is a company that now owns Xai, which is Elon Musk's AI company, which is hemorrhaging money. I still like build up and build new data centers. Starlink of course has been bringing money in.
Speaker 12: It owns that too.
Speaker 5: And then what was formerly known as Twitter x is now part of XAI, so part of this whole.
Speaker 12: Conglomerate as well.
Speaker 5: How does that complicate the way that investors are looking at this company as an investment the fact that it really is this very multifaceted conglomerate.
Speaker 17: To your point, when you think back to February, before the merger of parent company XAI, which owns x and SpaceX, SpaceX was arguably one of the cleanest stories in the private market, it was essentially a space monopoly that owns launch getting rockets and satellites into space, and to your point, owning Starlink, which is the dominant player in potentially getting or actually actively getting direct to consumer, direct to cell phone and other devices internet connection.
Speaker 10: Now with this merger, when I talk.
Speaker 17: To investors, the pitch still is heavily predicated on the kind of old school SpaceX company, with Xai being a part of that. The one thing to keep in mind is if you talked to many people, and if you pulled I would say the smartest people on Wall Street and asked, well, what is Tesla?
Speaker 10: Is it a car company? Is it a robot company?
Speaker 17: Is it something that's going to be partnering with SpaceX for tarafab. It's just the entire Elon ecosystem that Elon premium that these companies are very complex and there are a lot of areas to look at that can justify higher valuations.
Speaker 5: I'm glad you bring up Tesla, and I think about the history of that company and how Elon Musk really valued the true believers among those investors who stood with him, even as Tesla wasn't able to make as many cars as it said it would as deadlines got pushed and Elon Musk has a real affection for the retail investor. I'm curious how SpaceX is going to benefit or serve those investors going forward. Do we have any sense of sort of how they will be able to take advantage of this IPO when in fact it happens.
Speaker 17: So we've put out reporting that they could allocate about thirty to thirty five percent of the IPO for retail investors. One thing to keep in mind, if the company does raise its targeted seventy five billion dollars, it's about twenty two and a half billion dollars for retail, which would be the third largest IPO in the history of IPOs. So that's an insane amount of money to just comprehend that could be allocated to retail. And to your point, the boardroom and these bankers are discussing the best way to allocate shares to the true believers, people who have held Tesla for a long time. Maybe people who own Tesla cars will be able to get better access at the IPO. At the end of the day, when we talk to bankers, finding seventy five billion dollars of demand. There's enough capital out there, but being able to execute the IPO in a way that delivers for both the company and investors is going to be closely watched.
Speaker 2: Bailey, We've got about thirty seconds left. But how much of this is trying to get ahead of Anthropic and what does this mean for open Ai? Open Ai, excuse me, and Anthropic.
Speaker 17: Yeah, it's a bit of a race, and SpaceX clearly is set the best timeline or the quickest timeline to circle that June target. We reported that Anthropic could go as soon as October, and open Ai, from our understanding, is kind of neck and neck potentially with trying to line up those prospects to go public. So when we think about twenty twenty six as a whole, we could see all three of these companies, or if the volatility continues, we could see one or two drag on into twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: All right, Bailey, Lifchell's Bloomberg News senior reporter, thank you for breaking that all down. And you'll have to what's app me when that ip filing happens.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm very curious.
Speaker 6: I was talking to our college Ed Ludlow about this.
Speaker 5: Who covers space, the business of space, and this is such an interesting moment for that as well. This is a really hot part technology generally, so this will be a real litmus and sort of investor enthusiasm for space related.
Speaker 9: Companies and for the man in charge of the company.
Speaker 12: There you go for Elon Musk as well.
Speaker 5: We'll see how much of the company ends up owning as a result of this IPO.
Speaker 4: Stay with us for more on Bloomberg this weekend.
Speaker 6: Right after this, well, it's time for.
Speaker 5: My favorite part of the show, that is Pointed the news quiz for takers right here on Bliberg this weekend.
Speaker 2: We've narrowed down the larger quiz that you can play online to three categories, and Lisa is going to test our knowledge and I'm sorry who is currently leading.
Speaker 12: It is still anyone's game.
Speaker 2: I'm very nervous about this though. I did overhear them saying how hard the quiz was this week.
Speaker 9: So it's gonna be your week. This is going to be a good one, guys. Okay, So for.
Speaker 4: Those of you at home who are like, what are you talking about?
Speaker 9: Pointed?
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's exactly how it works. In front of David and Christina. They each have thirty chips. Okay, so they've split it up and they have three categories, and they're going to place their bets depending on how they feel, how confident they feel about each category.
Speaker 9: Audience audience the sound effect she does. Okay, so we've got everyone covered.
Speaker 12: You're not intimidating.
Speaker 9: Are you ready for the category?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 9: Yes, please ready, David. Okay.
Speaker 4: The first category is ammunition ammunition, the second category is trade, and the third category.
Speaker 12: Is hoarding boarding hoarding.
Speaker 9: So it's quite a category.
Speaker 4: So place your bets depending on how confident you feel. Where are you going as first ammunition?
Speaker 5: Are you gonna I'm going to go none on ammunition? Okay, I'm going to go double on twenty on trade, and then according I'm I have no expertise, but I'm interested.
Speaker 2: I'm going to slid across the board because I don't feel overly confident in this category. So I'm doing ten, ten and ten.
Speaker 9: Excellent. All right, you're ready for your first question. It is a very evil I'm excited.
Speaker 4: Do you think this is this is the I only got one of them, so all right, okay, here we go. Ammunition arms manufacturer ZVS was once a Cold War casualty, but is being revitalized in which European nation. Which European nation is its starting to get back into it and see a surge. It's actually the world's biggest car producer per capital I just.
Speaker 12: Got that wrong then that it was very good?
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, change that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I gave you a little hell all right, now I have no idea of it.
Speaker 12: Okay, you ready? Three Germany No.
Speaker 9: Is correct. That's what threw me.
Speaker 2: I had because I read something about the arms manufacturer, but I had cars.
Speaker 4: Cars, the world's biggest car producer per capita.
Speaker 9: Slovaki. Yes see, I confuse you there, David, But.
Speaker 2: What is the Slovakian cars?
Speaker 9: I mean it's not a Yugo.
Speaker 2: They don't make those anymore.
Speaker 4: But actually they have been ramping up their ammunition output some thirty thousand before NATO started ramping with the Ukraine Russia war full screen full invasion in twenty twenty two.
Speaker 2: So you bet yeah, it's one of those places they're getting those big shells.
Speaker 9: Correct, Yeah, you bet ten. So you keep your tent, David, you bet nothing. You know, all right, I'm going to get to trade trade. So that got me nothing. All right, here we go play along at home.
Speaker 4: Due to national security concern the FCC is banning imports of foreign based, foreign produced models of which product?
Speaker 9: Do you know this one? Because my brothers and nerds also talking a lot about Yeah, so.
Speaker 5: You though I didn't read up on this, I just know from Christina's talking about it sometimes.
Speaker 4: Sometimes he listens to Christine only occasionally.
Speaker 9: Let's go, okay, flipp it.
Speaker 2: What do you go?
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 9: Routers, routers, wireless routers. Correct.
Speaker 6: Do you both get it?
Speaker 9: You both get it. Cyber attacks.
Speaker 4: There's been a lot to talk about them for cyber attacks.
Speaker 9: Yes, all right, so you each have.
Speaker 12: Okay, so before we move on, I mean you've talked about it a lot.
Speaker 2: No, No, I mean my brother's concern is there are really no domestically manufactured wireless routers at the moment of that next generation. They're all made overseas, so it is going to be a problem, like if we can't upgrade them, we can't get.
Speaker 10: Them from anywhere.
Speaker 9: But that's the issue.
Speaker 4: Well, there is one company, Netgear they might investors might you know think because they moved them much of their are supply chain outside of China, so that might be one. Here we go, the more you know and shooting star moving on to hoarding. Okay, which household staple hoarded during the nineteen seventy three oil shock? Did Japan just worn shoppers not to.
Speaker 9: Buy in bulk? Is it hard staple? I wonder?
Speaker 12: I don't know.
Speaker 9: It's a good thought.
Speaker 4: This music is very it's like soothing.
Speaker 9: That's very soothing. What are you you're writing? You're writing too much? Okay, Okay, I wrote flipp What did you write.
Speaker 12: Toilet paper aka bathroom tissue?
Speaker 8: Toilet?
Speaker 12: I think a tie?
Speaker 9: Oh you know what that means?
Speaker 10: If we're question?
Speaker 9: Yes, I was so close. Okay, you know we have to take it to the bonus.
Speaker 4: Okay, the bonus is gaming gaming. Okay, it's not look okay, no, no, no, no, I think you got this, Christine other games. Fortnight's parent company cutting one thousand jobs due to spending concerns. What is the name of the company? So, what is the name of Fortnite's parent company?
Speaker 9: Do know this?
Speaker 12: It's gonna be a real time What if wait?
Speaker 9: What if you both get right? Then we have a tie again? Then do we have another breaker?
Speaker 13: We'll just leave.
Speaker 9: We'll just leave the day. All right, okay, flip it. What do you got?
Speaker 6: Epic epic epic games?
Speaker 4: The CEO said, they're spending a lot of money more than we're making.
Speaker 12: That's the base.
Speaker 9: We end in a tie. All right, that wasn't as bad as I thought. You guys said, well, thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Can be friends, Lisa, thank you to our production team as well.
Speaker 12: And you can always can find the rest of the game.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, yes, you two can do it.
Speaker 4: Bloomberg dot Com slash pointed, play at home, at home.
Speaker 9: Hey, they give you some some options you have.
Speaker 2: That's a multiple choice at home, and you don't have to you don't have to write them on a whiteboard.
Speaker 9: Always play at home and you'll have just as much fun as you.
Speaker 5: Don't get my commentary, but maybe that's for the best.
Speaker 2: Thanks for joining us on today's Bloomberg This Weekend podcast. Don't forget to tune in live for the show every Saturday and Sunday mornings, starting at seven am Eastern.
Speaker 3: We're on Bloomberg Television Radio and the Bloomberg Business App, bringing you unique takes and in depth interviews on news, politics, lifestyle, and culture.