Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not?
Speaker 2: And who says? So?
Speaker 1: Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hello, I hope you're having a beautiful week. I hope you're riding the high of our glorious dynem conversation.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: It meant so much to me, and after hearing all of your DMS, it is clear how much it meant to you. So thanks for reaching out and sharing. It was just so cool to interview somebody who's shaped the world we're living in right well, I wanted to continue our Women's Month celebration with someone who absolutely deserves to be celebrated.
Speaker 3: And honestly, she's been overdue for it.
Speaker 1: She's spent the majority of her career behind the scenes, but I have a feeling that that's about to change. Once in a while, I get to interview somebody that just stops me in my tracks, and Danny Garcia, our guest today, stopped me in my tracks. She's wildly accomplished, yes, but that's almost the least interesting thing about her.
Speaker 3: What got me was how real she is.
Speaker 1: She is so clear about her why, and she also shares her how, which is rare. I keep catching myself going back to things she said during our conversation, and when that happens, I've learned to pay attention. So I want to jump into the episode because I want you to have as much time as possible with Danny. There's this philosophy in boxing, because get hit is inevitable.
Speaker 3: The real test is not the punch.
Speaker 1: It's whether you beat the count, meaning can you get back up before the referee counts you out. Today's guest has turned that mindset into an entire ecosystem. Danny Garcia has been an athlete, a financial executive, a global business strategist, a film producer, and the architect behind some of the most powerful brands in entertainment. She is the co founder of Seven Bucks Productions with her ex husband Dwayne the Rock Johnson. She's the first woman to own an interest in a major American professional football league, the XFL, now known as the UFL, and she's the founder of Donnie Moss. She is a producer, a strategist, the force behind billion dollar films like Jamanji and Black Adam. She's helped shape the trajectory of stars like Henry cavill and The Rock the most followed man on social media.
Speaker 3: Long before the world saw what she saw.
Speaker 1: And then at forty two, so she became a professional bodybuilder, just on the side, because apparently that's what she does when she's not busy reshaping entire industries. But here's what the credits don't tell you. Danny doesn't just build companies. She builds people. She builds momentum, and she builds belief. And none of it came easily. Danny got knocked down a lot, a first marriage that ended, while the business continued, big swings that didn't land, deals that failed, projects and movies that didn't work. And at some point she stopped fearing the fall. She even started counting on it because she understood something that most people I don't think ever do. The size of the loss is proportional to the size of the swing. And if you want the biggest wins of your life. You have to be willing to absorb the biggest hits, for.
Speaker 2: The big swings, for the big moments. You have to know that a big moment is going to have a big loss if it doesn't work out. I have one so much because I have lost a lot today.
Speaker 1: Danny shares the mindset that carried her through those losses, the discipline that drives her every single day, and why she believes resilience is the most powerful skill anyone can build. So, if you're in a season right now where things maybe aren't going your way, or you've taken a hit or two and you're questioning everything, maybe this isn't the end of the round. Maybe this is the moment you learn to beat the count. It's time to question everything with Danny Garcia. Danny, you have been thoughtfully questioning almost every rule and assumption around career and money and ownership, marriage and divorce, even physicality like bodybuilding.
Speaker 3: What is one rule that you're really happy you broke.
Speaker 2: I would say the rule that I really that I broke that impact and change my life was when someone said to me, you know, the red carpet is just for actors, so why don't we let them have it? And I said, oh no, I'm going to take my red carpet with me everywhere. And my red carpet is mine. You built it and I built it, and it'll take it and I will always roll it out in front of me wherever I go, and I will invite others on it as well.
Speaker 3: How did it serve you well?
Speaker 2: Because what I was being told was there was an experience that I was passionately excited about, but I couldn't have it. And I was thinking to myself, why couldn't I have it? And who is this individual to decide that I can or I can't have it? And that allowed me to have sort of the autonomy if you see I'm questioning right, I'm like, I'm here, I actually deserve to be here. And then I realized that the moments that I see that look like someone is giving you those moments, I could actually create them for myself. And that became a really important aspect of my life, is creating the moments that are sort of given to individuals, not waiting for a moment to be handed to you, but making a moment, making it your own.
Speaker 1: And you're asking yourself this question, why not mer You've been.
Speaker 2: Asking my whole life, and I've been asking it in great ways like why not me? And also like why not me? Why don't they let me? So it's led to a lot of self reflection and sort of some a little bit of sadness, especially as a young person. But then eventually it leads to answering and finding and researching and figuring out and then the excitement of saying, oh, yes, me. Which there is a wonderful thing about getting accomplished where someone's like, here you go, you did great, and I give you a trophy, and they give you a thing. But then there is this incredible power when you are the one giving yourself the trophy, when you are the one writing the check for the thing that you've always wanted, and that's addictive.
Speaker 1: I was trying to put the pieces of your life together over the last few weeks, and I kept thinking about this one story.
Speaker 3: Years ago.
Speaker 1: I would do Red Carpets and I was at the Emmys interviewing Billy Porter, and Billy probably had one of the best voices in New York City, was so talented, and because the world was not ready for him yet, he didn't really have a major role on Broadway. In Kinky Boothsteel, he was forty two years old. He was eating ramen in his really shitty apartment. He talked about it all the time, and he was the first black and gay man to be nominated for his category at the time. And I asked him the most obvious, simple question a red carpet reporter could ask, And I said, what does this nomination mean to you? And he looked at me and his eyes well up, and so my eyes welled up, and he hit my chest and he said, when the world tells you no, you tell yourself yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And we were bawling, and everyone's makeup had to be fixed.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, but what a connection.
Speaker 2: At that moment.
Speaker 1: Well, I've never forgotten his words. Yeah, I thought about them so much.
Speaker 3: With you.
Speaker 1: Oh, interesting because at a young age, it seemed like everyone could have said no, not you.
Speaker 3: You had always told yourself yes.
Speaker 1: It seems what did the world not know that you already had stirring inside of you.
Speaker 2: So one of the interesting things on this because you're creating a narrative, and I want to actually give you the complexity of the narrative. So my yes was because at a very young age, I think must have been twelve or thirteen, I looked at the mirror and I was like, this is what I got. I was like, okay, so this is what we're working with. My sister is like very traditionally cute from the beginning, and I had a unique look in my mind. You know, you can look back, not in my mind because you're gorgeous. Well, when I look back when I was young, I was like, oh my god, so which style. But in a very conservative Cuban family in Suckastan in New Jersey, I was a species that was non familiar. So at that moment, I was like, okay, well you know what my mind and my personality, you know, my heart all these other things. And in my family, looks were actually thinking. My grandmother was stunning. We're just tall, blonde Cuban woman. My mom very attracting myself, So I was born into a family where appearances were important, and also my family treated me like you're so different. So you know, in that environment, I gave myself this second plan, and the second plan ended up being my greatest strength. And then later in life I gave myself the rest of it I gave myself that first plan whereas like you can be in front, you can be forward facing. So it was from that experience where right in the beginning, I was like, Okay, here we go, we're gonna do a thing. I'm gonna try this. I'm thinking this way and this culture of cre eating a life for myself, that was the thing. I was like, Oh, my life is not just going to be handed to me. I'm going to have to create a life for myself. And then also a little bit later, looking at my father and seeing how hard he was working and seeing, you know, he come over as a young immigrant at sixteen, I also was like, okay, and you know what, I can create a life that can take care of my family. So I sort of went into this mode of creation. That's how this narrative that you were looking at started then and was a way of life for me. And that doesn't mean it was smooth. I had a lot of failure, but I kept saying that's all right, Okay, here we go, and then I would try again.
Speaker 3: You would just pick yourself up and pick it.
Speaker 2: Up, and I was like, let's try again. And it was a funny thing because I would wake up. Let's say something that didn't work out, and I wake up the next day and I'd be like, but you know, if I think if I did it differently, what if I did it this way, It's such a small little step every day that can change your life that point.
Speaker 1: Of view, Did you ever worry that mindset would isolate you, that that self belief, because sometimes at a young age, other girls don't take to that totally.
Speaker 2: I was a little bit isolated already. You know. I had one really close best friend and she was wonderful, incredibly creative, So I wasn't used to a lot. I was on the track team. I was a drum major, you know, I should say on the track team that had my peers there. So we were that huddle, that athlete of life. But I was used to already being so different that it wasn't unexpected for me to be like, oh, I'm kind of walking a path that maybe it's just me and someone else, or sometimes it's just me.
Speaker 1: And did your Cuban immigrant parents sort of display that work ethic, that relentlessness.
Speaker 3: I know you mentioned your dad, I'm curious about your mom.
Speaker 2: My mom too, she had a practicality of like Okay, we're gonna get this done. We get the things done. It was a traditional household. My mom didn't work until after my younger brother was born. My dad had to leave Cuba before he finished his high school degree. They both got their degrees later. When they came here. They were very much about doing the right thing, expecting that we would go to college, expecting that we would take advantage of always what's in front of us. That was extremely important to them. And then for my dad, because I was such a unique mentality, we bonded in my capacity to work and work hard, and in that space he had great respect. It was rare to have a twelve year old riding her bike three miles away to a barn to clean an eight stall barn, to take out of that face. So right, he saw that and he could relate to that, and that was actually probably the undercurrents of a lot of our relationship where he knew he could count on me.
Speaker 1: And is he the one who told you to get that job at the barn or did you seek it out?
Speaker 2: So what happened is I really wanted a horse, and so my grandfather was so wonderful had purchased this horse for me. But it wasn't like, hey, okay, you're good. It was like, how are you going to keep this horse? So where we were able to keep this horse, this gentleman who ran the barn, and he was like, okay, we'll come in and work. You can clean the barn, clean the stalls the night, come in the weekends and yet free grain and hay and bored for your horse. So it was not questioned. It was just like, okay, absolutely I want this. I'm working for it for what I want. That, I would say underlies a lot of what my family culture was. You worked for what you received. There was never any expectation that you were going to receive something and if you didn't work for it.
Speaker 1: And in hindsight, do you feel like that was positive or was there also a piece of feeling like you received love from your dad from working hard? I think I receive a little love from my dad by taking care of myself, not needing things.
Speaker 3: I don't know. It definitely helped me in life. I will look back and be like trauma.
Speaker 2: So it was two things. It definitely set me up to believe that my value was in hard work, and hard work in excess is just a vanity. It's not strategic. But then on the flip side, it taught me I could do big things. I was driving this massive John Dear tractor with a mower in the front, and in the back of trailer there was a horse that got cut and blood is shooting out and I had to bring him down Tater Todd and wrap him up. And you know, I came home like I came from war, and my mom and dad were like, oh, what happened? I was on FaZe. So there was an aspect where even I knew it was big things. I knew when the barn looked spotless, I knew I was doing things that other people didn't do. And I realized I had a lot of capacity. That was an incredible gift to understand early on how much capacity I had.
Speaker 1: So at thirteen, you decided you were going to create wealth? Yes, how did you think you were going to do it?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I had no idea. I was like, okay, just got to me rich can take care of my family. It was like a million dollars that was it gonna be a millionaire to take care of my family. But I had little inklings of business. But not understanding. I had no exposure to you know, traditional corporate America. My dad worked at an autobody shop sweeping the floors and then became the manager. But I had enough exposure, and I knew was going to college. That's all I had. Business. I'm going into business. And then by fifteen I was like, okay, international business, domestic and international. The world's very global. And then I was like, okay, marketing and finance together, and I was like, let me look at all the informational tools. At fifteen, I was like, okay, I'm going to gather that and let's see. Now there was a big gap between that and actually being successful. But I was like, okay, this is all I got in front of me. We're going in this direction, and my hope is that I would pick up more and pick up more.
Speaker 1: Well, you kept just putting one foot in front of the other. You started selling pants suits or skirt suits or pantsuit.
Speaker 2: I sold men's suits, so just for men, just for men. Yeah, that must.
Speaker 1: Have been an interesting experience. And what's your sales pitch to them?
Speaker 2: First of all, can you see like this sixteen year old girl? So I had gone from the barn, now I'm in high school and I'm the track and I'm a band, and you know, the Horsey phases moved out, but I was still working and I was very pleased with myself as very professional. Yeah, with a gentleman who owned it, showed me how to measure, how to tuck the pants, and like driving the tractor. I didn't think anything else of it other than just do the thing. And so I just did the thing, and that's what I would do. I did it all through high school.
Speaker 1: So you've had this ambitious, business minded streak from a very young age. But another through line of your life you've mentioned was athletics, and your parents thought that you would have natural talent as a swimmer. Will you tell us what happened in that very first swim race. It's a really good story.
Speaker 2: You know that swim race. I've had quite a few moments where I'm like, wait, what's going on. But to be like, oh, your daughter is tall and lean, thus she's gonna be a great swimmer. Okay, there goes a little bit more into that. So they were like, you're gonna be a great swimmer. I'm like, okay, I like the water. So they put me in the Horseshoe Lake Swim Team Roxbury, New Jersey, and they came out to see my first meet. You know, they shot the gun. I'm dad in the waterhouse swim. It's so hard. I turned the corner, came back and I came in last, right, and I was like, oh, okay. But then I stepped out and my dad came up to me and he was like, Nanita, you came in last. And I was like, oh my god, I remember the dread. I was like, that's bad. He's like, Nanita, how came you call them last? Yeah? Sorry, Dad don't know. And so I'm not a kid going oh, I didn't know the stakes were high, but I was like, I didn't know that coming and last was like such a thing. And so my dad was embarrassed. And that's what I felt like. If my daughter came in last or didn't have success. We were always like, oh my gosh, all right, let's do this, let's work on that. But my dad's upbringing my parents upgreaming. It wasn't about oh, you know what, let's get you some extra practice. It was results. There wasn't a lot of education that would be like, you know, how we take care of kids. Now you want to be on the swim team, bread, We'll get you some practice, We'll get your coach. Don't worry about your time now. It was very black and white, and it did. It colored me. First of all. It was awful tombarrass him. That was awful and it still sets me. Isn't that funny? I understand that, yeah, especially with a father, But it did make me lock in and go, okay, I will prepare you know, so now you have the work hard ethics and then you have the preparation. And those two together they became weapons for me, like they became like maybe it didn't have balance until much later, but they sure did give me quite a bit. It was quite a lesson.
Speaker 1: I had a boyfriend one time say to me, it seems like you had a really good mix of trauma and love and yea child.
Speaker 2: Right, that's a good thing. It's so interesting. That's what our adult lives are for you look back at my mom had me when she was twenty one, so my dad is definitely under thirty at this point, maybe twenty seven, twenty eight. His kids coming from Cuba, his grandmother raised him like you can see all the gaps of understanding. You have two people who are kind of just victims of the information they have. I have kindness for all that I understand. My did an interview. He was talking in Spanish. She's like, I didn't know she was so fit to the day because ESPN had done a documentary and this story was in there. Yeah, I didn't know, but come on, she gave me last. He still owned it. He didn't own it. He was still like, she came in last.
Speaker 3: Correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: But what I got from him was like, you don't have to come in first, but you can't come in last.
Speaker 2: That was that was that's kind of but see that's harm Garcia senior in his eighties. That's not harm Garcia's dad.
Speaker 3: Fair.
Speaker 2: There was never that part of the conversation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you recently posted that one of the most formative roles you've ever played is a loser.
Speaker 3: Yes, the way I was shocked.
Speaker 1: You wrote that, I'm personally working on this even before our conversation here, and I was telling you I took an l and it was licking my wounds and it hurts talk to me about the losses that shaped you besides the swimming, because that obviously shaped you do you use any of those as a daily reminder for yourself.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's no big life without losses. So it's the agreement you make right for the big swings, for the big moments, you have to know that a big moment is going to have a big loss if it doesn't work out. There is that juxtaposition, but I mean from being in high school and being asked to the prom and then being unasked so they could ask someone else, and then arguing like, you can't actually do that, that's not very ethical. They did still go to the other president. I'm like, that's not right to whether it's being picked last, or is my first marriage, or big asks or even films. I mean, there is so much much loss. I'm really quite masterful. I have won so much because I have lost a lot. It wasn't like, oh yeah, I can see her. She's a winner. She's got great muscle, coordination of mind, she's got all those things. She's going for big things. Wooh that was ugly, and she's picking it up. And then she's like, okay, all right, that didn't work. That didn't work. Fixing it and going and fixing it and going the gift of having no entitlement means I had no easy wins, but that has given me so much strength. And then that means that regardless of what I'm choosing to do, there really is no difference. It's like, oh, that's hard and this is simple. They're both going to have the same pieces, which is I'm going to figure it out. I'm going to prepare myself as much as possible. I'm going to go for it, and if it doesn't work out, I'm going to go for it again until I get to the workout, till I get to where it is. So I think having that and having that be emotionally as frictionless as possible. So I've gotten better at that. Still, like the loss sucks someone, Yeah, I let myself twenty four to forty eight hours a little wallowing some laughter in it, but my mind can't help it saying, but you know what, that was really good. But that party and I start putting the pieces together.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really am moved by what you just said. I don't even know if you realize you said it, but you said I have won.
Speaker 3: So much because I have lost so much. Yes, that is a really cool statement.
Speaker 2: And you know what people who win they like to maybe not share that aspect of their life because I think it's supposed to be hidden, and also media wants you to be that winner. But if you ask someone to unpack their story, if they unpack their losses, you will get so much richness out of compare it to if they unpack their with.
Speaker 1: You mentioned that some of those were big asks. Yeah, what was your first big ass?
Speaker 2: And I would say one of my first big asks in the industry in Hollywood. One of my first big ass happened to be a show that I was working on and I had developed it and I had been deeply in it, and it was sort of a fifty to fifty partnership. And when it came time for like all right, you know we're setting up this person's role in your role, I was left out, I'm in the show? Aren't I in the show? And the other people were like, no, you're not in the show. The other individual who could have been like, oh, you're in the show would have been like boom, pull you up and given me in the show, was like, no, you're not in the show. I remember went front of one of the major studios. We were outside we hadn't walked in. I started crying because I had like put so much into the show, and I was like, how am I not? And the in fact, I was sideswiped that I wouldn't be in the show. And that was like my big ask, I'm going the show that I listened in the show and I didn't get put in the show. I still did the show. I produced it. I produced a shit out of that show. I did all the work. Boom.
Speaker 3: But yeah, that's like a childhood wound that it hit too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it had the energy. Remember I told you there were a couple of moments where I'm shocked. It was like that where I was like, wait, what, oh that matters? What were the rules? I wasn't aware? And so yeah, that was a big swing. I got that.
Speaker 1: You took a big swing in college too. Yes, you went up and introduced to yourself to a guy at a bar. First of all, you said that you met him in the weight room, right, and you happened to have met your current husband in the gym. It seems to be going to the gym, daddy, where is he?
Speaker 2: So funny? Yeah, that is so funny. My husband and I talk about that all the time. Is your question where is he? No?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I wish you could answer that one, but no, My question for you is how did you have the kahones to go up? Did you give yourself a pep talk or did it seem totally natural to you to just go up and introduce yourself to a man.
Speaker 2: I didn't give myself a pep talk because I was on the Barsia team. He was on the Barsia team, another team. We were in the weight room all the time. I'm a senior, I know where I'm going, and I had been an athlete now at a university level, competing on as a varsita level, and University of Miami is incredible education and in addition, when you're an athlete, is an incredible culture.
Speaker 3: As an athlete.
Speaker 2: So for me at that point, I was super comfortable, and I was training strong as well as you know ooh, we trained so hard as crew teams, so I was able to do that. And I had been doing this executive business classes. I was supporting the executive education at the Dean's office at the school Business. So by my junior and senior year, I had all these exposure to CEOs. I was introducing myself. So I felt really like I had all these tools. Yeah, and so going up to talk to a football player, I was like, hey, by the way, so geeky. I was like, Hi, I'm Danny Garcia. I see it all time. And he's like, oh, Hi, nice to meet you. I see it all time too. He's like, what's your major? How's it going? International finance and marketing. He's like, what are you going to do when your graduate? I was going to work for American Express Latin America. I was just like so comfortable. And then he's like, oh great, and we were talking and he was like, do you have a phone? I was like, telephone. I do. It's like can I call you? I was like you can, And that's funny the beginning of thirty eight year friendship. But I was there with my team. The whole crew team was there. We were having a great time.
Speaker 3: I didn't feel like a big a was right in the room.
Speaker 2: And if it didn't work out, I was going back and I had other friends there from the football team. So God, is that athlete environment, that athlete community, you can do a lot of great things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, So that man ended up being Dayne the Rock Johnson.
Speaker 2: That's right now.
Speaker 1: I can imagine you tell him at that bar, you know exactly what you're going to do when you graduate, and you're so confident.
Speaker 3: That has to be so infectious for him.
Speaker 2: I think it was. He speaks about it that it was a defining moment. I think he had plans afterwards to do other things, and he canceled his plans actually after that moment. And he had not met someone like me before. He was like, so straight and this is what I'm going to do. Well, he's young, so let's see what everyone's responding to. But he always speaks to my agency, my little college agency that I had.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like at that time he had big dreams or do you feel like your agency your big dreams sort of inspired that in him.
Speaker 2: Oh. DJ has always been a full, complete human, like you know, a very special individual. Even in the weight room. I remember seeing him and at that time we had incredible athletes on the University of Miami. Yeah, that was high. It was an incredible time. But he had so much of an it so he had high expectations for what he was going to do in football and he was just starting that process. He was a young individual. I was young. I think he was nineteen eighteen when I met him, So I was a matter of an eighteen year old who saw his sort of University of Miami career ahead of him and then his potentially NFL career ahead of him. So he had a great personality. So he had out a lot going firm. I don't know that he at that moment was thinking massive global enterprise would be built. I was thinking I'm going to build a massible lunch right in my head. But I think he could see what was just in front of him, which was pretty big.
Speaker 1: And you did exactly what you said you were going to do. You started working at Merrill Lynch, and while you're there, you do the very danny thing of doing the most right and you develop your own management firm.
Speaker 2: Right. I don't Merrill Lynch to start my own wealth management firm.
Speaker 3: Oh, I thought it was simultaneously.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: So once I okay, yeah, TELL married and I had my daughter, I was like, I need more flexibility, and so in the Merrill Lynch you know, which is pretty specific and structured, then I left to begin my own wealth management firm. But I do want to point out something Merrill Lynch was very similar to me thirteen, being like okay business international finance. Mary Lynch was like, okay, I'm going to learn so much here. Let's go and gather all this information and see what I can learn about the financial market. Merrill Lynch, Oh, what an education. How to speak to people, how to do financial planning, how to organize your thoughts. They groomed and raised me. They did a lot for me.
Speaker 1: And that's when you decided, after you started your own firm that you were going.
Speaker 3: To part time start managing.
Speaker 2: So his career once I left Merlin to start JDM, I was always involved in his career. So I was handling the finances of the household. I was handling all the professional aspects of the household.
Speaker 3: That's a lot of responsibility.
Speaker 2: It was a lot of responsible and there is that work thing again, no boundaries, and so I was involved just naturally. He always invited me into it and I had an opinion. I mean when he was playing football, I was watching film and talking to him about performance and how the plays were developing. So that sort of input in that collaboration aspect was always a part of what we were doing. It wasn't later on as our relationship transition from being married to not being married. In that year while we were going through our divorce that DJ asked me that takeover his career fully, architect his career.
Speaker 3: That is very interesting.
Speaker 1: So while you were getting divorced, yes, he said, uh uh.
Speaker 2: He said, what do you mind continue to manage and build out my career an architect of my career. And I was like, absolutely, I had already been so invested. There was a lot. I was a partner with him with all these aspects, and I enjoyed it so much. Friendship underneath that. So yeah, So he asked.
Speaker 3: Me too, and I said, okay, was there a learning curve at all?
Speaker 2: Oh? There was two things. Being in that position of leadership natural for me, learning and becoming accustomed to the intricacies of Hollywood learning curve, Yes, that was, and then also getting Hollywood used to Danny Garcia, that was a big learning curve for Hollywood.
Speaker 1: That's a big part of what I want to jump into. But most people are told, don't work with your family, right, don't mix finances and family, don't mix friends and finances. You actually have love all around you. You built an empire with your brother, your ex husband, your current.
Speaker 3: Husband is in the mix.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: What do people get wrong about blending family and ambition?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know. Maybe I can say what I think I got right. I think what we got right is the culture that everyone works very hard in the organization. So there is an aspect of that, and there's an aspect of family, especially as you know, in the entertainment industry, it's so so challenging, and we came so much from the outside into this industry, right, there's nothing traditional from Dwayne, coming from wrestling myself on the business side, there was an aspect that I believe the intangible of who we were together would be more important than having an outsider come in and try and understand us. No one looked like us, no one had the background like us, but what was formulaic was how Hollywood works. So the hard part is the culture of who we are. So if I have the right family members around me, and I don't have all my family members, but I have the family members whore really excit I did to be around me. Working together, we could do special things, we could create a special things. And so that's what I think we've done really well and we also invest in our minds and our professionalism and how we're growing. But that history, I mean, there was a time at the University of Miami. I was there, Dwayne was there. Him was there. Him was on the field as the drum major. Dwayne was playing football. I was just graduating or have graduated. I mean that shared history, and then we all have that same ambition together. It's an anchor. The Hollywood aspect of our industry will spiral you off right, will have you lose your footing, and our footing I think really sacred.
Speaker 1: There's another element of this, and I don't know how to perfectly word it. I was in a long term relationship with somebody and our work overlapped a lot, and I understand so deeply being able to put us oute the relationship for the sake of a goal. Because there's almost this vocabulary you have right like you guys speak the same language. You have all these stories that you can bring up in meetings that nobody else knows true. But there's this other aspect that you have to be able to compartmentalize right and do what needs to be done over feeling any of your feelings or dealing.
Speaker 2: With anything absolutely, especially when you work with your ex.
Speaker 3: Also, I think it's different for men and women.
Speaker 1: Yes, as a woman, and even though I know you're so tough, you have a soft side. Oh yes, how did you work that out? How did you do what needs.
Speaker 2: To be done? We both committed to be different people than who we were in the marriage. We had the aspiration and this appetite to build and do great things, but there was the honesty of like, we can't do that if we are the same people. So if you were to look back now this Danny versus Danny of two thousand and six, this is a completely different human being and Duyanne is a completely different human being. So that commitment, it has to go hand in hand. If you're casual and like, oh no, but we care for each other, we love each other, we're friends, that is just frosting. That is not going to cover it. You really do have to say, okay, am I going to dig the truth? Our marriage failed together there was room for both of us inside to be like, Okay, I want to be a different person. He wants to be a different person. So that was a benefit all of a sudden. Then you have history. So history is great, but history without trust of the human being is just history. But when you have trust of the human being and history, then you have a very powerful combination. But that becomes an agreement, right, that becomes work. And for me, as I talked about every other aspect, there was no way to be successful in a new relationship unless I had unpacked and changed everything historically that I had done in my previous relationship. So I was benefiting myself all the way around. It was like, Okay, I'm going to do this, but actually it's going to color my entire life and just put me in a better position. And Doane felt the same way. And then our spouses support that, know that and support that, and know that they're in their lanes. They can see us together and be like, look at those two friends, but there's nothing in our interactions that speak to who we were eighteen years ago.
Speaker 1: And you trusted, because you trusted yourself that you would make the effort to change, and you trusted that he would make the effort.
Speaker 2: Yes, I didn't have to trust because he was like, I'm making this effort. He was doing it. But it was where I was like, and if it doesn't, I think I can handle this all like I made the big bet on me. That's why I laughed when we were at our meeting with divorce attorneys where they were like, what you did it by yourself because I took nothing. I just took my last name. And then DJ and I agreed that we would cover our daughter's expenses equally. That was it. Wow, that was it. So the bet was huge. Freedom was everything. And I have bet on myself many times like that, but the payoff has been I sit here today is that woman. I would never have changed it.
Speaker 3: Can I ask you something without getting to in your business?
Speaker 2: You in my business? I invite you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, go ahead, thank you for that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you trust that there's this evolution, why not try and.
Speaker 3: Make the marriage work.
Speaker 2: It's actually an excellent okay.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to press.
Speaker 2: It, so it's really important. By the time DJ and I had gotten divorced, it was clear we weren't meant to be that way. But the love and the friendship, so I think if it had been like I'm not talking, then you'd be like ooh. But the love in the friendship made the transition feel more melancholy and like oh appropriate, like it's okay. I'm going to make sure you're okay, and he's like, I'm going to make sure you're okay. We're going to make sure our daughter's okay. So it gave permission for that trans position to happen smoothly, which was a great thing. I think that's the gift of how we transitioned out of our relationship. It was clear we were like.
Speaker 1: I see he's starting to talk about it a little bit more, and he recently said he was really going through it during your divorce.
Speaker 3: Yes, what were you going through?
Speaker 2: Same thing a little bit different though, actually I believe he spoke about being depressed. I went right into my tri mode, took the big l what am I unpacking? What am I learning? And if you also remember or you may not remember, but I was still in that architecture space, so like guided the divorce, guided how the documents were looking over smowe, how is the household running, what is happening with the finances. So there was a lot to keep my plate busy. And at the same time, I was working with an individual who has become my soul sister and my best friend, moving myself forward through my belief system. So I had started doing that. So it was a little easier for me because I was like okay, and every week I'd be like, oh wait, all right, yeah, I cleared that I understand that belief system. All right. I took care of that what's next, and that helped me to just move forward.
Speaker 1: Do you look back on that time and think like, man, Danny really had a lot on her shoulders or do you look back with pride?
Speaker 2: First of all, I love the narratives that come out, because you know it was still a mess, right, you know there were nights that you were like cry, oh yeah. But I look back at that time and it reminds me that I can still trust myself because I still wake up every day and be like, okay, what are we gonna do.
Speaker 1: Part of me felt like when I was putting the pieces back in hindsight, that struggle was preparing you for what was next.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. I love that observation. That struggle, which was an emotional struggle, it also shaped standards inside of me, like expectations. You know, what I want in my life, how I want things to feel. It was some of my greatest work was during that period. I would say, really it started in two thousand and six up into twenty ten, when I met my husband, who would be my boyfriend at that time, it was who my DNA was transformed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you start taking meetings to level up his career. Yes, And I read that in those meetings, Dwayne would pitch an idea and then he'd leave the room and quite literally pass the ball to you. If we're talking athletic terms. What were those early boardroom conversations like.
Speaker 3: And what went well? What went wrong? Like can you paint a picture for me?
Speaker 2: I think would later on he'd be like, you got this, But actually we took so many meetings together, you know, and at that time sort of his profile was who is this incredibly massive man, popular wrestler, and you know what's going on here? So he would start the meeting and then I would start talking and then people are like, okay, who'shit? Oh wait, she said, next wife. You couldn't hold anyone's attention, And in fact, I started telling my agents please prepare everyone that I am his ex wife and I'm managing him. We're working together, you know, make sure just talk to them a few times, because it would become this thing where we would lose them for the first five to ten minutes until I was speaking enough, and then I started talking about, Okay, well let's look at this film. What's the return on investment? You know, what's the scope? Well here so sou well, this is what we're thinking. And as you began to get deeply into the conversations, then the executives on the other side were hearing a conversation that was one hundred percent beneficial to them and they had not heard before. So I think it took like years literally for people to understand.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like you weren't being taken seriously? Were you frustrated?
Speaker 2: I wasn't frustrated, because when you speak value, it eventually clicks. It was just a matter of like, keep talking, they're almost done. This guy's almost don He's right now thinking about how much he hates his ex wife? How was this woman here? And then soon I'd be like coick, and then I'd see the click and they'd be like, oh, so wait, what you're saying is this is this? I'm like that, and then we would get there. So yeah, I learned patients, but at the same time, I was like, oh my god, look at these rooms. I was in new spaces, and it was really fun. And it's not like I expected to be treated in one way or the other. I had never been in those rooms before, but I could understand human nature and as Duyne and I, especially in these first number of years, I would sort of begin to drop some philosophical concepts as far as whether it's social media and how it's Dane showing up. The room would get quiet, it would stop, and I would just to bet and then Duane would be like, yes, so isn't that incredible And they'd be like yes, She's like you would have to come and do this second be to get people to be like, move your brain forward, catch it, think.
Speaker 3: Think, think.
Speaker 2: So he missed such a great partner, but it did to hate Hollywood a little bit of time. It's so funny. We've always had this narrative of Hollywood making room for Duayne. It's later on in life that we've all began to understand that Hollywood had to make a lot of room for me as well. And I appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Well, you made it undeniable and that's exhausting on your end, and I know you're so gracious and humble that you wouldn't say it, but I deal with stuff on such a small scale compared to you, and the amount of tears and frustration, and can you believe behind the scenes to my girlfriends, I can't imagine how you were feeling, like all these men not getting what you saw so clearly because you guys architected this. I mean you did it with Henry Cavell right after Dwayne, so like you proved that this sort of new era, new age your idea worked. Yeah, and you proved it once again. It seems like you must have dealt with a lot.
Speaker 2: I dealt with a number of things, right, I dealt with a lot of my ideas being taken and spoken by other people. That was probably most frustrating that I would see my strategies and I used to say, my thoughts are goal right, my words are my currency, and people were stealing my currency, which is a sign of like, what is it? The imitation is the highest form of flattery, I guess, so it was plagiarism. But I had people who were speaking all the knowledge I would drop, Yeah, but the thing that they weren't doing is they were never bringing it back to me. So I would then end up. Let's say going into an agency and people like, oh, wait, what do you do? And I was like, I know that. You guys just had a meeting and you literally heard all my strategy, So that I found to be really frustrating. At the same time, we were experiencing a success that I had never seen before. So there was and me this idea and hope that maybe my time is coming. It's such a different thing to be developing, for example, the idea of human IP and building an entire corporate ecosystem around them. We got to be the first. We changed the entire industry, and the Kardashians came after us. Everyone came after us, and any major entertainment actor is looking at this model. And I get the satisfaction of knowing I was that first case study the personal I don't know if everyone knows that, but I get my satisfaction. So I think if the success wasn't as big, then maybe trying to handle the pain would have been a lot. But it was this incredible success and this belief that my time will come. And then a number of years ago I realized my time is never going to come.
Speaker 3: WHA tell me about that?
Speaker 2: So I had a moment where I realized the individuals or the people who I thought were like, Okay, now it's your turn. The systems weren't ever built for that moment to happen. If that happened, it would literally detract from team members. And so I had this incredible heartbreaking moment where I was like, oh my god, I had built all this and this under lying hope that my architecture, my strategy, my philosophy the world would know, was never going to happen. I called that my third death, and in that came the ideas of, Okay, are you ready now to be in front of the camera. You have to be your own voice, and in your own voice, you will not take from anything that you've built. Hollywood is about if I get power, I'm taking it from you. I needed to create a system where influence and power could be created, but it didn't detract from anything that I had built. And that was a whole new mindset that came out.
Speaker 3: How'd you do that?
Speaker 2: Slowly? First of all, there was a lot of tears pretty much. I think about almost a week of depression of just like being so sad and trying to understand. I do so much writing and journaling and I took the time to look at what I had written in the past, who I was in the past, and all of a sudden, I realized all of that philosophy wasn't wasted. I just had to become the client. I had to be one. I had to take it and do it myself, by the way, much harder than it sounds, but I had to be that person. So you know the ideas that came out of donimas, the way the organization was changing, the way I started showing up, what I was doing with the XFL, which became the UFL, All these things started to build. Moment it was I was probably one of the purest examples of a Danny Garcia move, purely for Danny Garcia and the love that Danny Garcia has for something. Man, isn't that been a payoff? So yeah, that changed everything. An investment in a system that said someone's going to pull me up, I realized was never going to happen.
Speaker 1: You created this mini doc and there's this moment in it that I loved where one of the players was like who is that?
Speaker 3: Who is that? And You're like, I'm the owner. Oh.
Speaker 2: It was that little key skill are you the movie star. You were saying it and I was like.
Speaker 1: No, I own the league, and they were like, oh, it was like such a good Mike Jot moment.
Speaker 3: It was so fun, but it felt like a culmination.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because I feel like everything you had ever done, all your skills really could all be used so well for the XFL.
Speaker 3: And then you're like, no, I'm the owner, right.
Speaker 2: It was so fun. The UFL is a masterclass for me of everything of a sport that is breathing every day of the normany of having five hundred athletes, you know, four hundred plus in season, waiting to hear that all the planes have landed in. Everyone's back in Arlington because they're hub there the budgets, looking at ticketing. It has been in credible last year. We had a new partner come in Micropole who owns Noble and Body Armor, et cetera, and he has taking a big position and even working with a new partner, this sport it just keeps giving like it is fantastic and it was a great place for me to recognize that my value I could put it anywhere, like it walks whether I'm talking to my coaches, whether I'm helping one of my players who just hurt his ankle into the locker room to get taped, whether I'm in the conditioning room and the strength room looking at the equipment, trying it out, feeling it. It is so much fun. It is so big talk about advancing the human experience. It is and it is a purest inspection of advancing the human experience, because it's my athletes, it's my coaches, it's the team, it's my co owners, it's you know, the fans. You're trying to impact everyone. So yeah, it's been phenomenal. I love it so much.
Speaker 1: I can tell when you talk about it, you get and so I'm so yeah, it's cool to hear you talk about it as an experience too. Yes, Like one of the things I learned from learning from you from researching was you think of everything as this three sixty experience, and now the UFL is an embodiment of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I would always say, you know, there's a convergence between the film or the sport or the consumer product and the consumer And what I love to focus and manage is what I call the confluence, what happens when they come together, which is actually quite challenging. It's very nuanced. Because you have this, you have that, it's like, what are you influencing? So when they come together, because when it comes together, that's where the magic is created, and that's where history is.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get it right.
Speaker 2: It's incredibly hard to get it. And if you have a number of athletes throwing a ball around, they're just bodies throwing a ball around on a field. You know you need these fans. So when this comes, the experience that they have together, what people go home about is what they remember. It's what makes the difference. And so yeah, the UFL is absolutely a place for that. I mean, it happens with film, it happens with tere mauna zoa, but really happens in sports.
Speaker 1: I mean, speaking of sports, it's a piece of your identity, which is athleticism. I was really excited to learn that you didn't become a bodybuilder who you were forty two years old.
Speaker 2: That's correct.
Speaker 1: So what did becoming a bodybuilder in your forties give you that it wouldn't have given you in your twenties.
Speaker 2: I think it would have given it to me in the twenties. Is I wanted to be a bodybuilder. Since I was like, thirteen, might have been fourteen. We have to look at the notes. It could be fifteen. Let's see since you were a young girl. Yeah, I opened up a magazine and I saw Miss Olympia, and I was like, the strength and the physique. I had no idea a woman could look and be that strong. I have a lot of bodybuilding friends who say that they remember that that moment where when kou where it just turned on the bodybuilding light. And so really I was an athlete who was just always trying to get in the weave room a running track. But I was out there to like exten gins in the gym, and I didn't need to do that running track. I just didn't have access to it. And also I was taking care of my family right, so it didn't seem to be there. But then all of a sudden, you know, my husband, who was my boyfriend at the time, opened up a door and I was like yes, and my daughter was older, and I was like, now is the time, like to finally live the dream, to shape my muscles, to step on stage, to be a bodybuilder, to look at that magazine and be like, wow, Danny Garcia is going to be that image and bring it into my life.
Speaker 1: Which that part of you being front and center.
Speaker 2: For me, it was less about that and more about a dream, like the dream that I had since I was such a young person, because being like, all right, I need to be a millionaire to take care of my family. Those were responsibilities that I knew could packed lives. Looking to become a bodybuilder. Nobody understood that. That was just me going and wanting that, and then everything else was like, okay, make sure it's important. I love my family. And that was the dream, the Danny Garcia dream that just kept fully until it was the time. And then it was time and it was great. It was so hard. Oh my god, my god, it was hard.
Speaker 3: It was the amount of protein you had to eat.
Speaker 2: It's just it was the space of you could not use food for anything else other than fuel, because you can't have a glass of wine, you can't have a slice of chocolate cake. It all comes down to your diet and your training, and diet is eighty five percent of it. So you know, the nine months of prep. After I did that, I knew I could do anything. I literally knew I could do anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the feeling yeah.
Speaker 1: I trained for a triathlon after a breakup, and the thing I got out of it was that yes. It was that actually my mind would give up before my body would if I could get over that.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I was like, oh, I'm the only one stopping me, right.
Speaker 2: You know what? You just identified the biggest gait that many women have kno gone through the experience that says if I do that, I can do anything. I can tell you there is a handful of people who've not been given that gift, but once an individual has that gift, their lives are completely different than anyone else because you carry it inside you. It's that calmness of like, oh, yeah, I can do anything. I remember when my husband was training me, there were a few times where I was like, am I going to die? He's like, I don't think so. I think you are going to recover. Fine. I was like, because it was like such a workout, and I was like, I think I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna do it.
Speaker 2: He's like, you're not gonna do it. You may feel really terrible right now. And it had a number of that where I.
Speaker 3: Was so hard you want to cry. Sometimes it was.
Speaker 2: So hard I didn't want to cry from the hard because God, I loved it so much, but I was like, this isn't so incredibly hard, And that same time, I was still running a massive portfolio, so the juggling of both. But now it was so great though.
Speaker 3: It's the gift of athletics.
Speaker 2: It's a gift of athletics. Yeah, I'm not sure if you came across this, but I'm excited to share it with you. One of the great things about being an athlete is this idea that you learn without any emotion, that no one's going to give you the win. It is so fundamental. That's why we train, that's what we compete. Other team's not gonna be like here you go, love you, you get the win, right, And it is this gift where you don't even think about So of course you prepare and you have no emotional drag that, oh you have to do this, you need recovery, you gotta rest because you know you have to take all these steps so that you could win. You may also go around being like, dude, we're totally going to win, but you don't say it without knowing you're going to do all these things to get the win. And that transition.
Speaker 1: You were just named on the Hollywood Reporters list of one hundred most Powerful Women in Entertainment last year. If you can answer this without any humility, what's one thing that you do better than the other ninety nine?
Speaker 2: Oh, my goodness?
Speaker 3: Or different or different?
Speaker 2: I will say, I think I do this better than the other ninety nine. I don't even know who the other are, so bless you. I'm going to assume in my mind I can go into any room and talk to any leader, any executive, anyone male or female, and not think about, Oh, who are they? Do I have to do this, Do I need to prove this, etc. Especially after our glorious dynam of it. But when it comes to executives, business leaders, world leaders, I can go into any room and get the job done, and I can do it in a way that actually gets the job done. You have the difficult conversations. I can just look at another person and treat them like a human being and move things along. I do that really well.
Speaker 1: It seems like that's always been your superpower, Like the way you went up to Dwayne at the bar.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe it was, and I didn't even realize it because I do it comfortably. People ask meld them, how do you do that? You know, when the XFL was starting, they called me Mariano River. I was the closer, the sandman, because if we were getting a coach who were getting in said they would send me in to close the deal. But I was so confident because in the end, I never closes you. I just shared with them what I hope to accomplish, and there is a thing about who is saying the words and the authenticity of it makes the safe space for things to happen. And I've done so much that I have a really big safe space and that allows me to be the closer.
Speaker 3: You wear the closing. That's such a good title.
Speaker 1: I read someone refer to the way you've sculpted your business with seven Buck Productions and the Garcia companies and all of it's attracted brands, that you approach it as if you're tending to a muscle in your body.
Speaker 3: I thought that it's very.
Speaker 2: Cool said that that is fascinating. I think that's really correct.
Speaker 1: What's a business muscle that people forget to strengthen?
Speaker 2: You think, if you really are going to training and you're looking at that, you're looking at quality of repetition. But you're also looking a quality of life. Right, So a great physique requires great food, great rest, knowing how you're training, great environment. Greatness and shape come from a great environment. So as I look at our brains and our portfolio, it's extremely important to me how is the culture our team members growing. I've invested in so much so that they are different people. Right. My responsibility, and this is very much bodybuilding. My responsibility is not just the work they do for me, but the life they are living while they're doing this work for me. It's at three sixty. You can't beat the crap out of your muscles. You can't be like Grill great if you're not giving it the respect and taking a fiduciary responsibility.
Speaker 3: Do you have any rituals before meetings?
Speaker 1: Is there anything that you do either to open or close that you found has really worked. I had a mentor one time so that you always have to take a breath before you walk in, because your breath is what regulates you.
Speaker 2: So good. Let me think I don't have rituals before, not right before, but I do really enjoy like diving into the universe of the person I'm going to meet. Before I go in, not so much from a strategic but just like the joy of the person. I'm so excited my PR team knows is I'm like, what did they write? Send me their articles. I want to see the things. Usually there's not time for me to bring it up because we have like twenty minutes. But I'm always fascinated by the world. What is the context if it's a studio exec, what's their slate, what is going on. I'm never looking to sell or close. I'm looking to see if we can create together. And that makes it very rich when I have context about the people and what's going on. But I love the breath thing. It's actually very good, very smart.
Speaker 1: I love etymology, like the root of words and conspire has sort of a negative connotation, but in Latin it actually means to breathe together, and so I kind of think like breathe and let's breathe.
Speaker 3: I always think.
Speaker 1: About that before I walk into a room, like, let's do this together, right, get on the same page.
Speaker 3: I don't know, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's pretty good that you like it because you're a journalist, do smart.
Speaker 3: I'm a word nerd.
Speaker 1: I love that when you walk into a room. Do you clock the exit people, snacks?
Speaker 3: Energy? What are you clocking first?
Speaker 2: When I walk into your room, If I know there's people there that I know, I'm looking for them because usually I have to hug and kiss everyone, and you're very warm. You're a good hunter, I usually, but I will tell you once I walked into your room, I will clock exits. So funny that you said I will clock exits for myself and for everyone. So I do continue to say that's the mama Baron. Yeah, I have. When my daughter was born later on in life, I took hand to hand combat fighting WHOA because I did not want to put the responsibility of just protecting my daughter on my nanny or security. So I was like, let me get this down so they can run with Simon if anything happens. And so it usually it's part of my fiduciary Like it's a little the darker side of sort of this fiduciary role that I take.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do have to think of everything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, how has your definition of success changed as you've gotten more responsibility.
Speaker 2: Definitely, when I was young, it would have been monetary success. Now it doesn't have a completion, so it's more tied to what is the holistic health of what I'm doing, the sustainability, the frictionlessness, like did we get from point A to point B in two steps? Or did we smash against the side of the bumper rails? And if I can get the teams or the executions down the road as easy as possible and everyone's feeling great and the morale is great and the culture is great, then I find that as success because what happens after that has really become symptomatic. Whether it's sales, whether it's revenue, whether it's success at the box office, it is symptomatic to what's happening right at the current. So trying to manage that.
Speaker 1: I love that you said you fire and promote yourself all the time.
Speaker 3: And I know that you do that.
Speaker 1: The part of that you said was because you were trying to create more time, yes, which I understand that. What would it take for you to fire yourself from everything and just sit in Hawaii or sit somewhere?
Speaker 2: I don't know, because if I sat in Hawaii, I'd be like, what does Hawaii need? So much of my career and the portfolio are actual natural expressions of the fun I have they're really like, oh, what are we gonna do today?
Speaker 3: God Save the Queen is such an expression of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good one. First of all, the hilarity of being like, I had no idea. The United Kingdom national anthem was called God Save the Queen. This is amazing to talk about small town girl andsch But.
Speaker 3: I get it. What a great title it is. It should be the title of your book.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh, and I just loved the idea that the Lord and everyone was like, please God save this queen. I was like, oh, I'm taking that with me.
Speaker 1: We're all here for this. So you're remarried. Now we've talked about your husband, Dave a little bit. I didn't know that he trained you, which is very cool. How do you feel different in this marriage versus your last marriage?
Speaker 2: Oh goodness, this is the marriage that I didn't know. This was what marriage was. Like I always say with my husband, if I knew I could dream as big, I would have dreamt him Like. I didn't know that I could dream that Like, I didn't know. I had no idea.
Speaker 3: That makes me want to cry.
Speaker 2: It makes me But he's just an incredible human end. He has so much solid strength.
Speaker 3: Let's say you have that. So it's so nice that you met.
Speaker 2: Someone who I'm so lucky. But let's just say I'm not a glass of water. I'm more of a spicy murder reader. You don't walk into a relationship like, I'm not that easy. The life is loud. Who's your ex husband? And my husband was unbothered through it all? So sweet, so strong. Yeah, he's my soulmate.
Speaker 3: Did you know? Right away?
Speaker 2: I was just overcome with how different we were friends, really good friends, and then we started to get serious. Once we started to get serious, I think I loved him within four to five weeks.
Speaker 1: You have to really love him for him to train you and for you guys not.
Speaker 2: To get in Oh yeah, you know. Later on he did stop training me, which was good. We were getting Once I got really knowledgeable, I'd be like, Okay, I'm gonna take it from here. But it was ful.
Speaker 1: Training is like a really unique relationship for a husband or wife to do it.
Speaker 3: It's really hard.
Speaker 2: We don't train at the same time, No, we trained at different times. But you know, at that point he was training me as a mentor. I mean, he really was so incredibly knowledge about body and the physique and his discipline and execution is insane, and so yeah, he was a great conduit. He presented me with the opportunity to need to fulfill my dream and then he took me through. There was a gift.
Speaker 1: It is very cool too, because you had been fulfilling so many other people's dreams that you met this man and he said do this for you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was your dream.
Speaker 1: It wasn't for anybody else like he really saw you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh, thank you for saying that. It's so nice. I feel so validating. That's very much Sue. That's what he did. Cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for someone who exudes so much strength, when do you feel most vulnerable?
Speaker 2: Again, big swings come with great vulnerability. It's hand in hand. They don't tell you that on the sheet. So I would say commonly now, as I'm negotiating this physique as what I call a civilian, a non competitor, and woman who's in her second half of her fifties, going through these hormonal changes and seeing things in my body and trying to manage them and not getting the same results. My physique and my strength have been so much of me. It's fascinating to understand that I have to rewrite an entire book and it's taking time. So it's almost like I leaned on my strength as like the easy like I'm strong, I'm physically strong. Now that strength has to be more so internally strong so that I can rebuild my physique with all of the variables that change when you're in menopause or heading postmenopause. So yeah, that was something I never thought about. I was just like, yeah, you see that. Now it's like, oh, okay, I need a more isla. And so that does give me a little bit of a chink and that's daily. But the gift of it is I'm writing, I'm cracking new codes. At some point, I'm going to be able to tell other women this is I did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we need a book.
Speaker 2: We need a book from you.
Speaker 3: I need to read it. Other women need to read.
Speaker 2: As soon as I get this physique thing down, I feel like I'm a year away, maybe twelve months really, but yeah, it really is a transitional thing.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about your daughter because when you write about her on Instagram, you gush. I do like it's the only time that I relea see you write with just exuberance you guys seem like you have such a special bond.
Speaker 2: She's taught me so much and she's just joining the Garcia Company. So yes, next.
Speaker 1: Week because she stopped wrestling, she did. How did you feel about that decision?
Speaker 2: I was really excited for her. You know, she had known she was signed when she was eighteen, and she was doing this thing where she was at the WWE NXT and going to college at the same time, and she was like, mom, I can't do both, never going to accelerate to get on television. She was I think twenty and twenty one. We should told me that. I was like, I trust you're an adult. So she had a plan, I'm going to do this about seven years. She goes and then don't want to see what's next. So she got to her period of time and she's like, okay, time for this second chapter. And I was telling her. I was like, baby, you crushed us all we were not making the money you made at eighteen, nineteen twenty, she was the youngest professional athlete in our family. Yeah, I'm so excited to see what this next chapter is for her. And she's bringing us her insights and who she is, and yeah, it's going to be great.
Speaker 3: So is she going to be working with you day to day?
Speaker 2: She's going to be working not with me. I'm smart enough to have other executives be her boss. My president and my cheap content officer will be overseeing by me, so we know to just give her a little bit his face. But yeah, she's gonna be great.
Speaker 1: The word stewardship kept coming up for me when I looked at your portfolio. I know you said every company that you're looking to advance the human experience. It's so clear that you require greatness from yourself, from those around you, from your daughter, and you give it. It is a fair exchange. What do you think stops people from their greatness, from reaching their highest potential?
Speaker 2: First of all, I do want to acknowledge that asking for greatness and expecting greatness it's challenging. It's not a natural state of human state. So I give great respect and honor and love to my teammates, to everyone who surrounds me and says, okay, we agree that tomorrow we're going to be better than we were today. Yeah. I mean if people are like I don't agree to that, and it's totally fine. But I think first of all, if you've never had an experience where you're like, oh, I can do anything, greatness can be very difficult. I think also greatness the definition has been hijacked by people. I'm so lucky that people are like you chief greatness and you strive for greatness. But the simplicity is I just try every day. So there's a big narrative to something that's very quiet and simple and maybe sounds like something that comes from somebody who lost or is a loser in life. I'm just going to try and be better to mine. You know, there's a lot of influencers or public voices are like are you going to try or are you going to do? I'm like, dude, I'm going to track and that I'll get to the do. And I think asking someone maybe even framing it that way. I'm very human and I'm human person with a lot of insecurities who had to get over a lot of things and had to grow and all I did was try. So when I speak to someone and I'm like, hey, will you join us, this is what I'm going to ask is I'm going to ask you to try every day. With my Donnima's team members, I was very clear. They are wonderful executives. And I said, I want you for the twenty five percent you haven't accomplished. I honor you for the one hundred percent of what you've done, but it's the twenty five percent yet you haven't done that's going to change the world for me.
Speaker 3: You speak so beautifully to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, very rare, thank you. I've seen that. I appreciate that. Yeah, I take that as a high compliment coming from you.
Speaker 1: I was thinking, I can't even imagine a boss being to me that way.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: So I honor like what you have done, and I want you for the twenty five percent you have.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it feels like you invested in me.
Speaker 2: Yes, the investment is cool.
Speaker 1: So at the end of your documentary, you actually talk about this trying yes, and I know it's one of your superpowers.
Speaker 3: What will you try next?
Speaker 2: What I am trying next, I'm actually in the middle of trying it right now, is to be the creative director of my fashion, to really design, to actually have this is what I want the clothes to look like, not just like, okay, let's have the style, but to actually pen and paper and say I want these designs to flow. This is what I want to see.
Speaker 3: I'm really excited about that me too.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about it too because I can't draw it, but I'm going to pull it together. I'm going to find a way.
Speaker 3: You will find someone who draws, yes.
Speaker 2: And I will pull pictures and I will do it. I can see it, and it's amazing to be in a space where I have an opportunity to just be an artist, like create purely and trust that who I am as a human. I don't have to consumer test it, but just be purely raw in the creation of a piece and say, here, I made this. I hope all of you consumers love it and just go for that experience. So I'm pretty excited about Well, what's.
Speaker 1: That word experience, right, You're handing them not just a piece of clothing.
Speaker 3: Experience.
Speaker 2: Oh that's very true.
Speaker 3: Okay, I have some rapid fire for you.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: The last thing you bought for under seven bucks?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm obsessed with this little game that I play on my phone, this Highway game, and I literally had to buy some coins for like four ninety nine I think it was yesterday.
Speaker 3: That's really funny. Yeah, A business you wish you had thought of.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see, I wish i'd own the Women's Hockey League professional hockey League. I wish that was mine so bad.
Speaker 3: Maybe it cannot be.
Speaker 2: I know it's a single leader ownership it. Man, there's always a way.
Speaker 3: To a movie that makes you cry.
Speaker 2: If I know a movie is going to make me cry, I try not to watch it. I'm highly empathetic, so when someone's uncomfortable in a film, I'm like, deeply uncomfortable. I have to like sort of monitor myself. This is so funny, and this is not sophisticated at all, because people can talk about Hamnet and you know, there's incredible movies. I'm still torn up about Bruce Willis dying and Armageddon and that just destroyed me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I so get that, right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was like, it's been a long time, but I still will past that scene. And I'm like, did we really need that payoff to lose him? Did we? I agree?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Was it emotional for you to watch Dwayne in the last movie because he had emotional scenes?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Boy, that was incredible. It was a lot of unpacking, you know. When we had the screening and was talking to DJ but for the grace of God, there was so much dysfunction in that. I was like, that was us as kids. That was the twenty two year old Danny, the nineteen year old Dwayne like I could see it. And also the early wrestling when he wasn't with the w but he was like going around town and even though he wasn't involved at drugs, he didn't have a drug problem, but there was aspects to that life that reminded me so much. And then just the codependency, the unhealthiness, it was quite a bit. And then knowing his father, knowing the challenges his father had and what he was drawing from to play those roles. So it was interesting to watch it as a woman who was deeply involved in his history from eighteen years on. I couldn't watch it as a producer. I watched it as like someone who had known him since he was ang.
Speaker 3: It's different.
Speaker 2: For yeah, it was a lot.
Speaker 3: Who's the family member that wins a bench press contest?
Speaker 2: It's going to be Dave. Really, Yeah, my husband was like, go date. He was strong, like a tank.
Speaker 3: What's your go to comfort food?
Speaker 2: Cuban food, black beans? Res follow me a guffiicolata that is deep comfort food. And then ice cream. I love ice cream, yeah, deeply.
Speaker 3: What in your life humbles you the fastest?
Speaker 2: My daughter easily.
Speaker 3: What is one thing every woman should try once?
Speaker 2: They should try something where they're like, wow, now I can do anything. Or I would love women to try something that maybe historically looks like something a man does just too better try and be like, well I can do that. I can drive around the track and nscon. Maybe learn how to break someone's neck. Okay, maybe not like just these traditions. Break it down, break my training, break it down for a second, and try that role that maybe no one expected you to do.
Speaker 1: What is a book you've read that changed your life, something you think everybody should read.
Speaker 2: There's a book by doctor David Hawkins called Power Versus Force. That book changed my life. That book just broke down a tractor patterns and energy in a way that I was like, I feel this. I read it from two thousand and seven on and I was going through my divorce and DJ read it as well. It was really it's incredible.
Speaker 3: I haven't heard that one. I'm going to add it tells.
Speaker 2: It has a very specific philosophy but there's a sensibility to it, and it's really great.
Speaker 3: Will you grab the question everything card game next to you?
Speaker 1: Yes, feel free to shuffle whatever you want, which everyone falls to you.
Speaker 2: It's this one, okay, shaboom Ooh what ordinary moment throughout your day brings you great joy? Well, that's easy. It's whenever I turn the corner in my house, I see my husband like literally, I like, guse you great joy.
Speaker 1: You have so much to share with the world, and I'm so grateful that you shared your time with me.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh you're so welcome. I receive that and what an honor. It's so great. Oh, I'm so tickle. You do such great work. Keep going more you better for the world. Thanks, I see it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day. To have a good day. I'll see you next week.
Speaker 2: Is aboard It is the sho