Speaker 1: Warning, Today's episode will contain no spoilers, no spoilers for the new Spider Man movie Spider Man and Brand New Day. It may contain spoilers for other Marvel movies and other Spider Man movies. Hello, my name is Jason Concepcio and on Bersday Night, and welcome back to x Ravision, the podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture comedy. From my heart, We're ring you three episodes fust News.
Speaker 2: In today's episode. Guys, they made us wait such a long time. It feels like it's badly real, but spider Man Brand New Day is here.
Speaker 3: We have seen it and we're going to tell you our spoiler free reactions. Don't worry, you know we will be coming with those spoilers next week.
Speaker 2: We will have a more in depth look at.
Speaker 3: The movie on Wednesday for our spider Man Brand New Day Roundtable that will be filled with spoilers, easter eggs, all those breakdowns.
Speaker 2: You want to know, But we want to give everyone a chance.
Speaker 3: To see it, so for now, this is all spoiler free reactions to spider Man Brand New Day.
Speaker 1: Okay, spider Man, Brand New Day, we saw it at a extremely packed screening.
Speaker 2: Who talk about that line?
Speaker 1: I prove that, I will. That felt to me like they were trying to create a little bit of false scarcity and hypeen by because you know, it's if you are SVP, you should have a seat, and it should be very easy to do that, but they made it like listen, if you don't come in time, you're not gonna see I got there at half an hour before the screening.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: The line at the AMC at the Grove, one of my favorite places see a movie, went from the lobby up the stairs next to the factory, round the fucking perimeter of the upstairs, and then back down the stairs. I've never seen anything like this for screening.
Speaker 3: It was busier than my end game screening, which I think, yes, was very smart of them. Now I will say, Jason, I believe you are correct.
Speaker 1: My end Games screening was at the Cinerama Dome, which, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, that's unreal.
Speaker 3: My endgame screening was on the Disney lot, but the que which we did still have to queue.
Speaker 2: In, was not that long.
Speaker 3: So what I did notice is they basically just they made sure the screens were clear and then they didn't let anyone until like seven fifteen, so it looked really impressive and crazy, and I'm not gonna lie. It did make people start going, oh okay, so I know that last night they did invite hundreds of press, like I got an official number on how many.
Speaker 2: So it was it's good. They think it's good.
Speaker 3: They also know it's going to get people talking, so it's like, get people in now, Jason, is it good?
Speaker 1: I will tell you, And I think this will be an uncontroversial statement. I think it's the best Spider Man movie easily, kind of easily the best one.
Speaker 2: It is so.
Speaker 3: Much of the classic Peter Parker Spider Man story.
Speaker 2: It is down on his luck Peter. It is emo Peter. It is Peter who.
Speaker 3: Doesn't have a support network the whole way through the movie. And yet I will say the way that they managed to still build in the relationship with MJ with Ned it works so well, and it pays homage to the two characters and does not cut out the two actors Ned who have bought Ned an MJ to life all this time, even though nobody knows who Peter is.
Speaker 1: Here is the rule that I came up with watching this movie last night, and of course, you know coming in from Far from Home, recall, nobody remembers who Peter is, his best friends Ned and MJ, his love of his life, MJ and does not remember him. Nobody remembers Peter Parker, remembers who he is. They know who Spider Man is, they don't remember. Watching this movie last night, I was like, I think every I think it should be a rule, every Marvel and Gun should steal this for as long as every comic book movie needs to have a couple in real life that is actually fucking.
Speaker 2: Are there because the chemist.
Speaker 1: Their chemistry is just you can't as you can fake what they do.
Speaker 3: No, there's a sequence that is not particularly you know, narratively heavy, but it's very emotionally but yeah, yeah, yeah, And there is this sequence where they're between a sheet. Again not a narrative thing, just like a visual thing. It is so unbelievable, and the smiles and.
Speaker 2: The glittering eye make it.
Speaker 3: This is really great chemistry and those two it is tom daya summer and you know what they deserve it If people didn't believe they had the juice after the Oscars, I mean, after the Odyssey, you know that wasn't mea Jason, but sub questioned it.
Speaker 2: I think this is unquestionable star power.
Speaker 3: You know, this is big, I think than a Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, because these kids are young, like these are stars made of their own.
Speaker 1: Well, that was a home wrecking stitution, right.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. There was a salacious.
Speaker 3: Tabloid element that made them the most famous couple in the world. But Tom Daya is out here just that every premiere, every movie, you know. I think they each had three movies a year this year or something crazy. It is an astonishing kind of proof of how good the two of them are together, and also how good Holland is in this role.
Speaker 2: He and Jason.
Speaker 3: I want to say, I'm gonna I'm gonna talk about another great role in this which some people might be surprised to him me say, because guess what. Sometimes he annoys me. His name's John Burnthor we all know him, we all love him. The Punisher representation. Is it complicated? Yes?
Speaker 2: Did I hate one Last Kill?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, he is so incredible and him and Tom together the way, I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 3: It's a I'm not gonna lie as well. If you like one Last Kill and you like that Frank, he is that Frank. And it is all about with that context, how Peter does not agree with what Frank does. And then it becomes about what is heroism? What is it to be a hero? What is it to stand up for someone? And also what is it to have a friend as a man and.
Speaker 2: What does that look like?
Speaker 3: And oh my god, Jason, they're so fucking good together, holland Don Thole in this it's pure comic book.
Speaker 1: It's a great odd couple pairing. They play off each other wonderfully. It's just it really really worked. And then the next thing I'll say is I mean, this is the other thing I was thinking throughout. I'm like, fuck, Marvel still got it. They still got it. It's this is now ten years eleven years since the debut of the character in Captain America Civil War, nine years since Spider and Homecoming, the first Spider Man movie, And this is like, Marvel can the Spider Man movies are good, full stop? They're good, but to ten years in do the best one?
Speaker 2: This is this is okay, let me add a hack coup?
Speaker 3: Is this a Sony Marvel combination situation, because it doesn't seem you know, it doesn't seem like Marvel can do when they don't have Spider Man right now. You know, now, right now, but this is right now.
Speaker 2: But this is proof.
Speaker 3: I think, like one, I don't think this is gonna be a controversial take after this movie.
Speaker 2: I think Marvel is gonna be.
Speaker 3: Regretting taking Destin off the Avengers Double Bill. I think he should have been on Doomsday. I think he should have been on Secret Wars. He makes a fucking big argument that he should be the auta here.
Speaker 2: If you're talking about how.
Speaker 3: The guys from Community aka the Russo Brothers kind of shook up Hollywood when they came in and they made of and they did their Captain America, they did their Avengers, they did all of this stuff right.
Speaker 2: They made Oh it's huge. It's the biggest movies in the world.
Speaker 3: Guess what, bro That is what you come out of feeling this like the action in this The way that Deston and his crew were able to translate the really slick yet frenetic action of the Insomniac video game to the screen is incredibly surreal, especially because a lot of times you can see it as a person in a suit, so it does not feel like you're watching a video cutscene.
Speaker 2: And I think that really helps.
Speaker 1: Yeah, really, it really humanized it. And we were talking about this before we started rolling. You know, Marvel had been criticized in the past for the way their movies looked. The color grading was very slick and a little shiny. The shadows were you know, really kind of like crushed. It just was a very visible it, yeah, like very visible, very smy very color contrasty kind of look, very modern look, I guess his digital kind of look. And Spider Around Brand New Day and Thunderbolts before it. It really does seem like the directors who are who have come in in this kind of transitional period having fits and starts trying to move away from that look. I thought, I thought Thunderbolts looked great, and this movie looks.
Speaker 2: Like this looks bad.
Speaker 1: It's a shot on Kodak. I mean, it looks it looked I just you know, we talked about The Invite, a movie that was very loudly shot on analog film, thirty five millimeter film, and while and and this film has that look. It just has that richness that kind of like texture to it that fits New York so well. Although there's a wonderful, yeah, like b roll sequence in this movie that's just New York that looks incredible.
Speaker 3: And even yeah, I mean the credits you will fit like. It's really interesting because Tom Holand's been saying, oh, you'll know why it's brand new day at the end of the movie, right. But ironically, like even the credits, b roll of New York is kind of a it's this idea of just like New York's always gonna be New York, it's always gonna keep going, right.
Speaker 2: So the colorist is actually.
Speaker 3: Tom Poole, who if you have seen Drive, you've seen his work, and this.
Speaker 2: Movie it makes sense. Yeah, it's got that drive look.
Speaker 3: There's these great dark, moody moments, but there's these colorful sheines.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's this great sequence of him just kind of.
Speaker 3: Swinging through the rain, a really moody moment, and that is just so fantastic. He was a colorist on bloomin Eck. Like so many things, it's looks so good.
Speaker 1: Drive was also also had a analog look shot on digital, and man, they really translated that. You know, it's not. It doesn't go full like a twenty four Deep Shadows look where you're like, is this a drama? But it also sands down that kind of shiny comic book look in a way that just underlines where Peter is in this movie, in his life and to your point at the start of this this is kind of the mode that the most iconic Peter Parker stories and habit. He's living on his own, he is throwing himself his work, he's laid on rent, he's just kind of like scuffling along, and he's ultimately a lonely guy, and it's great. I don't want to talk about the other characters that show up in this, but I think another triumph, Yes, the performances, Yeah, well another triumph I want to say of Marvel. Marvel's been doing this throughout, but you know, late stage Marvel, throughout the difficulties. I really appreciate the way that this movie leaned on the wider universe and just kind of opened the frame so that other characters, other groups that have been established throughout Marvel are just kind of there and they just kind of like walk in and out.
Speaker 2: And do you really feel that makes sense? Yeah?
Speaker 1: You feel that wider world in this and it's great, cool, and it just it just feels great. Marvel still got it. They still got it in moments like this.
Speaker 3: It's giving comic book movie in a way that they haven't for a while, whether it is the Punisher Spider Man relationship, whether it is the kind of wondering cost of characters because it's sat New York, we've always said that right like who else might be there? And also as well, I think the way that they managed to introduce a lot of really key figures and key performances here in a way that just really works. They did a great job with the cost. They're bringing in a lot of character actors here. They're making sure that these are going to be characters people remember, even if they're in small roles, which I think is really good. Jason, let's do some grading. Uh John barnth or what are you grading him?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I'm going to give him an A minus to it to it A I think I was fantastic. The contrast with Peter helps bring out what makes Peter special in an and and like a mirror image that brings out Peter, brings out the rough edges and the things about Frank that make him unique in a really interesting way. They both help each other, oh and develop each other in a way that's like really nice.
Speaker 2: More character development for the Punisher than we've.
Speaker 1: Ever and he's he's he's great. Seriously, this is like the most character development ever for the punish and he's great in this. I'm gonna give him an A.
Speaker 2: I agree he's getting an A from.
Speaker 1: Me, A minus Zindaia mj Yep, it's an A plus for me.
Speaker 2: She's getting She's doing a lot.
Speaker 3: Hey, guys, we can't really get into it, but she's doing so much you're gonna love it.
Speaker 2: It's as Zenda as end. I think even a boo will like this one.
Speaker 1: They leap off the screen. They it's it's just insane.
Speaker 3: Okay, Jason, we can't say anything, really, but we can say, what would you grade Sadie sinc Does she bring something good to this movie?
Speaker 2: It's her performance.
Speaker 3: I'm giving her in a She's she has the juice. We said she had the juice has and she has the juice. No one's questioning it. Particularly think her and Tom Holand are very good together. I'm very excited to see more of that going.
Speaker 2: Forward, have the juice Juice Juice?
Speaker 3: Could she Jason, Could Sadie sinc be a major part of the MCU going forward if she needs to be, Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it has to be with the way she's introducing this movie. But I'll say this, this is not a spoiler because there's no suggestion of this in the film.
Speaker 2: M But.
Speaker 1: You know that Figy in particular is like, ooh love Triangle.
Speaker 3: No, he is, No, I'm telling you this is not a spoiler. But the chemistry is real. The experiences that they are going through here interesting red hat.
Speaker 1: No one is saying it's that's not a spoiler.
Speaker 2: We're just shippers who can't help it.
Speaker 3: The chemistry is that she definitely gets an a. I think it's going to be another breakout performance for her if you loved her in the Whale. But yeah, I think Figy's thinking that for sure, and also as well, watching this the whole time, you know we can't help it.
Speaker 2: And I will say that's how.
Speaker 3: I know the movie was like engrossing an action packed because my my critic MCU commentator brain wasn't on the whole time like a lot of it. I did just get sucked in like I was a kid, especially the Punisher, Spider Man stuff. Same, but I was whenever she was on screen, I was like, okay, okay, okay, she's got it. Like I was like my my critic brain was coming back, and it was like, okay, So if they did need her, so if they wanted her to lead stuff, like could she yeah? No, question like this is this could be the future of the MCU, just just this cost.
Speaker 2: But we know it won't be because the MCU is huge. That's the point of it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean I will say, I don't remember. I need to watch the movie. Yeah, back was Amy Pascal's name as big in the credits as it was in this movie beforehand. But she deserves it, baby, Aby, you did it.
Speaker 3: Jason, let's do a little bit of box office prediction because.
Speaker 2: We gotta.
Speaker 1: Jacob battle on Ned Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sorry, sorry Ned Leeds. He's it's an a again. I'm sorry. I'm like, I'm just out here handing out as I think that he did. He's one of my favorite characters. I've written about him a lot.
Speaker 3: I got to interview him to ask him if he ever wanted to be the Hobgoblin.
Speaker 2: You know his namesake. He's a sweetheart.
Speaker 3: I think they pay a lot of homage here to the friendship, and I think I was worried he wouldn't get his.
Speaker 2: Time because the Tom Dayer stuff is so good.
Speaker 3: But the movie ends on an emotional high note that I just adored, and it doesn't work without Jacob, so I think it's another age for me.
Speaker 1: He's he's like, it's a three legged stool and he is one of it's him, it's Tom, it's Zendia. You need those three he's I agree. It's an A and uh last two. We're just gonna do everybody that's in the trailer. So the nice, nice, nice spoilers whatsoever. Mark Ruffalo.
Speaker 2: Spanner, we love him, I mean I might.
Speaker 3: I think it's an A minus, not for any other reason than just the other ones were so great, Like he's amazing. But I will say I'm giving I'm giving Mark Ruffalo a minus.
Speaker 2: I love you, Mark, You're great actor.
Speaker 4: But I'm giving the hulk at a plus. Baby, because this is wow. I just can't even you've seen him in the trailer, but you've got no idea. It's it's crazy. We've been we dreamed of things like this.
Speaker 1: Guys, it's a it's a while. I'm gonna give him an A. I can't imagine the insurance issues when you're hiring Bruce Banner to work at anything crazy. That said, it's just great, but it's just wonderful. And then finally, mister Thomas Holland Peter Parker, Spider Man.
Speaker 2: What about him?
Speaker 3: What about that guy? It's an A plus. It's an A plus if there was any justice in the world. Look, guys, don't get a hype. Don't say I'm saying anything crazy here, because go and look at who's been nominated for Oscars for terrible movies over the years, right.
Speaker 2: So don't get on a hype.
Speaker 3: I think if this is the kind of role where I'm like, give him a little norm give him a little best support, give him a little Best Leading Actor nom He's good. He should have got it for Endgame. I'm sorry when he says, I'm sorry, mister Stark, and he gets that was impressive and cry worthy. People in my screen and were crying, Jason, I was near the front and they were crying.
Speaker 2: Tomash was it was emotion.
Speaker 1: And I'll say one more thing. You know, Tom's he's been doing the American accent.
Speaker 2: Now, oh this is his best New York accent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was it. As a New York it felt authentic.
Speaker 2: The daite que popped off.
Speaker 3: I did try and see their name in the credits because the stuff between there is okay. Actually, as New York had Jason what grade are you giving him? And Burnt altogether New York because.
Speaker 2: They do a lot of it.
Speaker 1: That is a very It was a very authentic type of conversations that you hear that you have in New York. It was type of type of conversations, and I found it very authentic. I thought they did it. I thought they nailed It's a plus. Tom Holland, I think it's let's quickly rank the Spider Man movies and then send people on their way to go see do you guess?
Speaker 2: Because I think it could be crazy. I think I think we should guess.
Speaker 3: Okay, I think it could open as big as like two hundred, because I think that I was about to.
Speaker 1: Say crazy, I'm going to go to ten.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that you're rarely higher than me, So I think I think you're onto something.
Speaker 1: I think it's well I.
Speaker 2: Think it's going to be huge.
Speaker 1: I think it's gonna be one eighty to two ten h.
Speaker 3: I think it's going to be a massive and I think it could be a billion dollar I think it could be because I think.
Speaker 1: I think it will watch it. I think it will be a billion dollar movie. The question is, like The Odyssey, which opened big in China. Does Spiderman Brand New Day open big in China? And I think it will.
Speaker 2: I think it will too.
Speaker 3: I mean, the action, everything about it, it's it's so engaging, it's so Kinnectic.
Speaker 1: And Zendaya were over there doing a lot of promo. Tom had to buy like a shirt or something because it was He wasn't prepared for how hot it was. I think, so he went into some Chinese retailer and just like and was walking around the bag. It turned the moment into a meme. It turned the bag into like a like a street accessory.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, a ticket item. Okay, Yeah, that sounds like I.
Speaker 1: Think this movie will make a billion dollars?
Speaker 2: Okay, is Marvel back? It feels like baby baby Baby? Okay? Jason, is you're ranking now of Spider Man movies? Post this?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Number one, Uh.
Speaker 3: Yes, that is the new number one. Number two for me is Homecoming. I think it's great.
Speaker 1: That's right. Number three Far from Well number and then number three is Spider Man Far from Home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then four is you know, the European Vacation. It's cute, but it's not the other ones.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think you're right, Jason.
Speaker 3: And when we get into the spoilers, guys, we're gonna be able to talk a lot more. But just tonally, maturity wise, there are sequences in this that have really would not be spoilers in another movie, but would be in this that we can't tell you about. That just so fucking emotionally incredible that they're gonna blow people away.
Speaker 2: Whether or not they like the whole movie. Like this movie has that juice.
Speaker 1: I'll say. I'll say another thing. Yes, this is the first movie where I thought, if Tom was amenable, they could make him new Tony.
Speaker 3: It does seem like there could be a handover going on.
Speaker 2: And Tom said he'll do it as long as they have them.
Speaker 1: He could, And in the in the comics, Peter was indeed like a acolyte of Tony. Tony was his mentor in a lot of ways. It was a very Yeah, it was the kind of relationship where Peter really looked up to Tony but then saw him in a different light, and there is like a feeling of betrayal but obviously too extremely talented, almost gus, you know, genius level to super genius level like scientists, Like obviously Tony is is a cut above, but Peter is progressing in that regard. And it was really I felt like if they could get him to agree, he could fill that Tony I total role the guy who like, okay, get all the geniuses together and it's red and it's whoever is black panther now a new black panther and it's Peter Parker. He would have an trust this thing and figure it out.
Speaker 3: He would have an ethical and moral heart that Tony never had too, which I think we see here really well. Also, Guys, I think that this. Yeah, I'm very excited to talk more about you with this.
Speaker 2: Jason. Anyway, and let's let's redo our ranking, because we got far from home and the way home mixed up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, okay, so let's rank right now the Tom Holland Spider Man movies. I'm gonna go number one, and do we agree on this? Number one is brand new day.
Speaker 2: Yes, I do think this is the new stand up bearer.
Speaker 1: Number two is Far from Home. It's you Homecoming, spider Man Homecoming, the original Spider Man movie.
Speaker 2: Number three.
Speaker 1: For solo movie number.
Speaker 3: Three, I would think it's got to be No Way Home, which could also become number two depending on how I feel some days.
Speaker 2: But that's all three Spider Man, we love them. That was obviously a fun one.
Speaker 1: And then at the Botom and it's fun.
Speaker 2: It's still fun. It's European vacation mystereo.
Speaker 1: But yeah, more of a CEO needs to be still alive.
Speaker 3: Oh, Jason, the Marvel stocks are rising of the DC stocks.
Speaker 1: So I didn't want to talk about it. I kept thinking, I kept thinking. I was thinking throughout the film, like, fuck, you know, here is Marvel.
Speaker 2: But hey, we felt that way Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Who is their number one? You know you could argue their number one character? Ever?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Transitioning into a huge team up movie, which is the thing everybody wants to see. Who's the new Avengers team and what threats are they facing? And Gunn took the long way around, although he did release Superman and I wonder I know.
Speaker 3: Last Yeah, it felt like DC was stocks were rising. It's a crazy time in the real world. There's a crazy time with the superhero world. I'm interested to see where we end the year.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: I will be interested as well. I can't wait for everyone to see this movie. It's great. Yeah, go see it.
Speaker 2: You're gonna love it.
Speaker 1: If you are listening to this show, then you will. You're the type of person who will enjoy this movie, and you go see it. Because there is a post credits scene.
Speaker 2: It's brief. Yeah, it's very brief.
Speaker 3: It's more of like a fun nod, but I do think it has big implications. So if you want to sit around, there is one, but it's right right right at the end. Sit around and see who they thank in the special thanks. There's tons of our favorite comic book creators and that it's always nice to watch. Yeah, all the credits anyway, and see who made the movie.
Speaker 1: On the next episode of Expert Vision, we're driving into the week's biggest news and we'll have our reactions to House the Dragon episode three or seven and our spoiler filled Spider Man Table. That's it for this episode. The extull listening. Bye x ray Vision is hosted by Jasoncepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 1: Our supervising producer is Abu Zafar.
Speaker 3: Our producers are Common, Laurent Dean Jonathan and Fay wag.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi our discord moderator.