Speaker 1: It's times raise the groups for our latest Right This Season podcast and our twenty twenty six MLB Draft special and important one because the Rays have the number two pick. If you guys don't know, the Rays got very lucky in the draft lottery. It would have been nice if they would have gotten number one pick. But we'll take a number two pick any day of the week. The draft is on Saturday in Philadelphia. I will be there live to see who the Rays pick. Hopefully it'll be someone good.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have.
Speaker 1: Three consensus top three prospects up top, so we'll see what happens. But we do have a very special guest with us, a stats guy for the Baseball and Stitch podcast, also the director of data and analytics at East Tennessee State. We have Jackson Scudder with us. Jackson, how you doing?
Speaker 2: Man? Doing pretty good?
Speaker 3: Really have to be on the pond talk to rather. It's my favorite time of the year watch college baseball year. So this is this is really fun for me.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're basically grained in college baseball having worked for a team, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. I keep up with that.
Speaker 3: I would say almost as much as anyone watched games. Pretty much all weekend, every weekend.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, so on I guess starting off, so the race of the number two pick, we don't know what the White Sox are going to do. I think we have it seems like a lot of people have a consensus general idea. But right now, the top three prospects, at least from what I've seen are Rock Schwalski, the shortstop from UCLA, Grady Emerson Prep shortstop, one of the it seems like one of the best prep talents that we've seen in recent years. And then Georgia Tech catcher Vaughan Lackey, who burst onto the scene towards the end of the season. For you and how you have looked at the draft, are those your top three prospects and how do you see things filing out in that way?
Speaker 3: Yeah, those are the top three prospects I have. It's pretty consistent. Those are the ones I have as well. So I have him ranked as Chwowsky one, Emerson two, Lackey three. That's what I haven't ranked them by board, but we all know m'll be Draft is a different beast than any other sports. Just because the guy's in number one on my board doesn't mean he's gonna go number one. Even if I think Rock's pretty consensus a lot of people have number one. I don't necessari I think it's gonna between him and Emerson in that one spot. I think at two it's gonna between Lackey and whoever's left between those two. I could also see maybe Jackson Flora the best pitcher in the class at two, but I really highly doubt it. I think he would be the other person who could make their jump up. If the race feel like adding an arm, he would be the only arm mad. I think between those four guys, we'll see one of those be Tampa Bay ray Backs that coming Saturday.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: So on that same note, I mean, when you look at the current needs on the big league team and also in the minor leagues, I know catcher is definitely a position of need for this team. Even though they have like Nick Fort says, has been okay this year, Hunter has been okay nothing, but they've been been serviceable enough. You look in the mind of leagues, you see Nathan Flowelling, who's been incredible so far. Caden Bodine is already up in Double A, has looked great. Are you like, is there a certain position if you like, looking at those four specifically pitcher, two shortstops and a catcher with the race like, are you seeing the Rays potentially targeting one need over another position wise looking at the big league team.
Speaker 3: I don't think necessarily. I think the one thing with that could be, as you discussed, the catch position of the minor leagues looks decent right now for the Rays, so they might not want to add a catcher this high the draft. But also Lacky's such a special talent and he's also shown to have a really strong arm. This could be a guy that maybe you could play him in the right field because he's also a very plus athlete behind the plate as well. He's showing the abley steel some bases. Lackie could be a guy who could move to a corner outfields but very successfully if you draft him and don't want to keep him a catcher. And then I think Twaska Emerson, both in that same like, could also be moved positioned around as well. However, I think both are also high talent shortstops. He could play there for long term, and I think the Rays could use a long term answer at shortstop right now. I have a feeling Twasky or Emerson could both be great answers for that, Yeah.
Speaker 1: So between those two, is there like, are you part of the consensus that thinks that Rock is going to go number one? Or are like, would you be surprised at all if if Emerson went one?
Speaker 3: I would not be surprised either way. I like Rock more because by like the way I look at prospects. I always like guys with higher floors necessarily to higher ceilings. I think Kwaski has a higher floor of the type of player he can be, just because we've seen him so much in college seating the type of player he can be, I just think he has a higher floor. I think he's almost definitely gonna be a big league player and make an impact, not sure how great, even though I think he can be a very very good player. Well, I think Emerson has the upside be a potential like Bobby Witt type of player. I think the lowerest being a high school guy. But I do think both are going to be very good baseball players, and I think both are gonna end up being big leaguers. I like Emerson's defense a lot as well, so I think he could have been good Shortsop.
Speaker 1: So looking at the top end of this draft compared to maybe some previous drafts, like is the quality there from where it was in twenty five, where it was in twenty four to twenty three, just knowing the guys that were picked, Like does this crop, you know, top three, top five, top ten guys have that kind of staying power that some of these other top ten drafts have been in recent years.
Speaker 3: I think outside of I believe it was the twenty three class or the twenty two class one that Skeins and crews in it that was pretty ridiculous. I don't think outside of that, this can probably hold its weight with most of them. Mean, Chowawski is one of the rare guys that last December, last November, we were mocking him at number one. It's just very rare that we see those guys still being discussion for number one when it comes to May. They just have to do so much to still hold on to that spot. In the fact that he's been able to incredible and the rise of von Lackey has made is simply unbelievable. Like this is the guy who hit two hundred as a freshman soft free year was better had like four home runs this year. He hit four hundred and twenty home runs. He wasn't on anybody's draft radar in February, and now he might go to number one, number two, number three overall, probably two or three yearrange. I just really like the topest class. I think he has really good depth down board, especially with the arms. But I think the top like four, the top like five to six range is really really elite.
Speaker 1: So like with Lackey specifically, I mean, I know that the numbers speak for themselves, but there's plenty of other guys in this draft, in this in in this class that have put up equally strong seasons.
Speaker 2: I mean, like A. J.
Speaker 1: Garssia over at Virginia has been strong. Ace Reesilver at Mississippi State has had a good season. You know, Drew Burris, Lackey's teammate at Georgia Tech, had a good another good year. It took him, took him a while to get there, and he was more of like that. Like I think he was mocked at number two at one point, potentially number one guy. Now he's closer to the I would assume, like the eight to twelve, eight to fifteen range. But what makes him stand out and what made him go on this have this meteoric rise up the rankings to now he could potentially be the number one pick in the draft.
Speaker 3: Just looking at his career at Georgie Chaps, like I talked about, he got better every single year. The thing that I feel like has really impressed me. He's ability to able to stick to an approach. We see a lot of these college guys. They're either heavy into power but have real swing and misconcerns, or they might not have great power but they can hold on the swing and miss leamon. He was able to combine both.
Speaker 2: Of those this year.
Speaker 3: He hit four h two this year fifteen home runs or twenty home runs. I did wasn't looking at the postseason numbers, hit sixteen doubles. But he was also able to keep on a very elite ky to walk ratio, walking eighteen percent of how much, strucking out just thirteen percent of the time, kept his whiff and his chase right under eighteen percent, which is very elite. I think it was just the combination of him playing a premiered position defensively, having elite power, having a lead back to ball skills, while also like limiting Chase limiting with he was overall thirty five percent swing gr It's pretty low for the college level. I think average around forty two percent. He's a very passive hitter, but when he unleashes it, he makes contact and makes really hard, loud contact. It's just very rare that we see a guy playing a premium position like catcher have these type of overall numbers.
Speaker 2: Of the play.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's been I mean from what I saw, because I saw some stuff in the regionals. Not as much during the Raidar season just because I was too busy on my own end and try to watch as much college baseball as I could, but I know that, like, I mean, his stuff was legit. And then the other two haven't really seen as much from Emerson. I have seen some high school stuff. Apparently the high school that he goes to a has like a fall t field with like stands and and all that stuff looks really nice and has like the best production I have ever seen from any high school. Sim will cast any telecast or anything like that. Like the whatever's going on at that high school is absolutely nuts, and they have way too much money for it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And then Chowalsky. I mean, it's hard to not see what he's doing at you, Seeli, considering they were more more or less than number one team in the country for most of the season and then uh screwed up and didn't get out of region. Also, I don't know what kind of a sign.
Speaker 2: That is, But.
Speaker 1: What, like on your end is it does does does it seem like Emerson's gonna be the guy for the raise, because that's kind of That's essentially how I'm feeling right now. And I know that the Rays and like I make jokes about it and I'm annoyed about it to an extent that the Rays tend to draft a lot of prep shortstops. But I feel like, if he's available, and he's supposed to be someone who, from what I can tell, is one of the better prep players that has come out of any draft class in the last like five to ten years, I feel like it's a no brainer to take him if you have the opportunity to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I completely agree.
Speaker 3: I think if Rock goes one of Emerson's there too, I think he should be the easy pick in my opinion from what like, obviously I don't have as much of data and stuff on him just being a high screwrap. But from everything I read and everything I watch, he's very mature in his approach to the plate, swing decision wise, which again even rare to see at the seventeen eight year level. All these guys are better than everybody that play against andor just go up there swing and stuff ready to go.
Speaker 2: And from everything i've ready's.
Speaker 3: Also very mature defensively at short top it can almost definitely stick there, and having that ability to stick shorts up one comers can make him even more valuable even if the bat doesn't reach the point where that we think it could reach. The power is kind of thing I've heard a little bit questionable about, but I think again, just really young kid eighteen years old and six three point eight five, very projectable body, left handed stroke, I think he can very easily add power as he gets older, grows into his body. Again, just eighteen years old. I really like the prospect of this whole, and I think like the ability to stick a defensive ability to already have mature approach at such a young age is just very promising for his future.
Speaker 1: The last thing I have on this before we get into because the Rays have three picks in the top fifty. Yeah, they have the number thirty three pick in the comp round A, which came from the Shame Bos trade, which is so funny that the Ray's got a compick out of that, considering that they traded a compic to get Brian Baker and then got that compick back in the Shane Bos trade and then got another pick on top of it. So in my opinion, that's a win win win for the Rays. But they have thirty three and then they have forty nine in the second round, which I think by the second round it just goes by record essentially, right and not because you know the I guess the the draft lotteries, draft lottery, but it goes by record. So that's why they have forty nine at that point. I think the Blue Jays and apparently the Blue Jays and Dodgers have their first picks there because they screwed up on them with the competitive balanced tax. But mostly yeah, yeah, yeah, So the Race have three in the top fifty there. But so outside of the top four that that that you mentioned, including Flora, is there anyone else that you think could potentially have like this meteoric final surge over the next couple of days and make a case to be the number two pick, or do you think that there's not really anyone that would have that kind of ability.
Speaker 2: I honestly do not. It would really shock me.
Speaker 3: I think it would honestly just depend on what they're doing money wise, and I think if the races had to go underslide, it would be Flora. But like, just looking at my board, like Jacob Lombard is the other prep shortsop in a world where Emmerson goes one and the raiser just gung home wanting to take a prep shortstop, Jacob Lombard at two would probably be that take. But that would really surprise me, especially with the guys still on the board. I think like those five would probably be the main ones. I really it would really shock me for anybody else to go at number two would have to be one of those. The Rays having three top fifty picks, are really wanting this table a little bit of money at two and get a guy that really like and then spend a little bit more. Maybe a high school guy or junior in college got on the board. I really think it's gonna be between those four guys, and that maybe the fifth would be Lombard.
Speaker 1: Got it okay going into the rest of this, so again thirty three in the comp round and then forty nine in the second round. Are there any names that kind of hover around either of those that you're interested in? I know one of them, at least in terms of local for the Tampa Bay areas, Caden Wecter, son of current Rays pre and post game guy, also analyst, and in many ways Doug Wecter. I think that he's still a top fifty prospect draft prospect by pretty much everything I saw. But who do you see around either of those picks that stands out as someone that fits, you know, fits the Ray's mold.
Speaker 3: I'll go ahead and talk about Lector first, because I'm actually a lot higher and him some people are. He's run fifty seven a MLB. I have him on forty six on my board. He's a guy who Tampa Jesuit A High school, one of the best high schools in the country for baseball. They just roll out top prospect every year. We have a guy at Etsuho went there. I mean he just said they're just rolling guys out every single year. I mean, he's he just has a very clean, consistent motion. Ninety two ninety four has been up to ninety five. Ninety six kind of has shown a couple of decent off seed pitches. But if you just watch him throw, looks very repeatable, it looks clean, it looks healthy. I think he could be a very fun pick in that I have forty nine spall. I don't think you would go all the way up with thirty three, but I think forty nine would be a great pick. And then my favorite player in the thirty three range is my favorite player in the entire class, not saying the best, but my personal favorite, and that's I believe another Tampa product who went to Florida State, and that's West Mendes, left handed pitcher played at Florida State. He's my favorite pitcher of the class simply because he throws five pitches in the zone a lot like up Florida.
Speaker 2: Say, he was truly.
Speaker 3: Throwing five pitches at a fastball, a really really good changeup, cutter, slider, curveball, and through all of them around at least nine to ten percent of the time. Obviously some of them want more, but it is very rare to see college guys had that mature of an ability to locate and throw five pitches with comfortability like he was doing. I think he's gonna fall a little bit just because he was only like ninety two to ninety four. I had the good command and had the five pitches. I think he would be a great pick at thirty three and could even follow that forty nine spot. I think most Mendes would be an absolute steal. I think he's going to be a guy who's gonna look, You're gonna look up. He's gonna like a three or four in a rotation, and of five straight years was three seven era with one hundred and sixty innings pitched.
Speaker 1: So, like, if the Rays end up taking two people that are from Tampa, like, like would that be would that fit the raised mold in your mind of like, hey, let's go try to grab these local guys that we've seen before. I don't because they have taken guys, I mean, Shane being one of them, being you know, a USF guy. They haven't necessarily always gone that route, but they've had Tampa guys, Saint Pete area guys that have played through. Like if that sort of a situation happened would you be, like, would that be surprising in the slightest or.
Speaker 3: Now, I mean, maybe a little surprise in just considering it, But I think it would be a very cool and fun storyline, especially for both of those guys, who again I'm very high on some people want to be as high on others. But I think either of those guys at those picks would be very fun spot. There's obviously a lot of other guys in those spots a life as well, but I mean, I think both those guys and then the storyline right there, both of them being Tampa guys, I think it would be very cool. Might be a little surprise and just considering, but like it's not out of the realm of possibility where if the Rays really want to add to pitching, and we know the Ray's love of adding pitching all the time, I think both of those could be very fun picks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I know Wes is a Jesuit guy too, so yeah, that would be I mean, if they I mean, if they picked up Sho's Tampa Tampa Jesuit guys in the first fifty picks, that'd be crazy. Who so who else in that realm any other guys that stand out to you as potential picks, specifically on like the more position player side, because I don't know how the Ras are planning on. I mean, they're weird in how they do things, because it could be like, you know, all position player one time, it could be all pitcher the other time. But on the position player side of things, anyone around either of those numbers that you could see them potentially getting and has that kind of raise mold.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll drop in like two or three. I can think fun names. Aiden Robbins, he was an outfielder at Texas this year. Really good power and just raw hitting ability spin his first two years at Seaton Hall, transfer to Texas and was able to keep his cape with numbers down. Just good player play center field could be a fun corner outfield spot.
Speaker 2: Another fun name is the son of Jim Tomey. Landon Tomey.
Speaker 3: He's projected around that like late first competitive balance. I'm not sure what his like number would be to lure him out of playing college ball because he's a prep He's a prep guy, but another left handed hitting prep shortstop.
Speaker 2: So depending on what the Rays do it too.
Speaker 3: But knowing the Rays, I could also see them double dipping on left handed hitting prep shortstops because that just seems like a really fun thing to do. Tomby is a very fun player. I could seem be like a utility type of guy. He's kind of described as like good hands, good defender, high IQ and another guy that just kind of has very good hit to a very good back to ball skills and it comes down to like the forty nine range. Another another legacy guy. I believe he's the nephew of Barry Bonds, and that's Tate Bonds, who has been at Rutgers, got hurt this year. He's a little bit lower on a lot of people's boards, but I'm really really high on him. Six five, two thirty. It has just one of the most violent swings you've ever seen in your entire life. I think that would be a very fun pick forever ends up getting him. And he's also a really good athlete. You should be able to play some decent corner outfield, but the just the raw powers off the charge. He's crazy exitv lows and then I would say the last position player is a Jared Avankoula who played at Georgia Tech as well spent two years at cow before that, just great hit tool, very little k or with just kind of that more like contact, fun hitter. I think he kind of played some second base and third base. I think he'd be a guy who just has very high on base percentage, just kind of like you stick it at the second base, stick them in your seven hoop for ten years and have fun with it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The one thing I'm really annoyed by, and this is more of a personal thing, is so Chris Acopian, Maryland guy now at Texas A and M is you know, projected top ten pick.
Speaker 2: I was hoping.
Speaker 1: I mean, I didn't know where the Rays were gonna land, but originally I was like, Okay, if the Rays end up essentially where they are percentage wise, if that just equals out to where the pick is, he'll probably fit within their realm because he's you know, in that late late single single digit picks early you know, ten to fifteen range. And I really wanted to work out because as a Maryland graduate, I want to see all the Maryland guys on the team, and I want to try to corner the market on it because it's not like there's a lot of them. Even though he did go to A and M. It still kind of counts. I doubt that he's he.
Speaker 2: Like I, if.
Speaker 1: They stretched and tried to got him or tried to get him, I would probably be perplexed because I'm like, if you can get better college guys in that realm. But I was like, if it worked out where they were in that like thirteen to fifteen range instead of going all the way up to then we'd have a conversation. But right now it's it's just not a thing, and I'm really annoyed by it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Coping is a really good player.
Speaker 3: Both of the guys who I do the Baseball on Sitch podcast with are both in the DMV area as well. I think that I think his dad owned a facility or something around that area and they both work out there. So they both talked about like his dad being a really smart, good baseball guy in a coy Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, his dad's a stud. And his brother too, Eddie played at Maryland, ended up going to the Draft League, try to do stuff. I don't know where he is now. I don't think he's He might be playing indie ball somewhere, but I mean both of them are absolute studs and his dad was a stud too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a very good player.
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna be a very good pick and kind of like said the light or light single digits early early teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I can kind of combine this into one last thing. But you you already mentioned the top half of this class being something that can rival the last five to ten years essentially of drafts. Like when people look back on this class and let's say five years or so, and that's probably looking too far into the future, where do you see this class projecting out? Not just raise guys, but in a general sense, Because like I'm normally not too excited about the draft because the race haven't been good enough or the race haven't been bad enough to have a shot at the number one pick. Now that this whole draft lotteries happening, now they have a shot at it, and they got the number two pick, So I care and obviously a lot of race fans care a lot more about it. Where do you see this whole class itself projecting out in the last you know, in the next five years.
Speaker 3: I think in five to ten years, it's gonna be a class we look back on and we're going to just be impressed of the of the college bats that were in this class. I think there is so many really good college bats, expect at the top of the draft, even like down into like the ten to twenty five range. You mentioned Ossia, Virginia, Ace Rees and Mississippi State Chris of Copan. We talked about Texas A and M Derek curryell Is and my favorite players in the draft outfield or LSU. I think there are so many really good college hitters in this class, and even further down the board. One of my favorite guys in the draft is Miles Bailey of Florida State, guy who has some of the best raw power in the class. Bad of injury this year. That kind of hurt his drafts talk a little bit. I think when we look back, we're gonna remember how good of all hitter.
Speaker 2: Classes was got it all?
Speaker 1: Right? Well that's all I got. I'm as of right now, I'm thinking it's Emerson. Part of me wants it to be rock. I mean, if I mean, if Emerson goes one, that would be pretty wild. I know that it could happen, but I'm very excited for what's to come Saturday. I've never experienced a draft before. It's not like anyone's experience a drafted for the last five years, so this is pretty cool. But Jackson, thank you so much for coming up. Where can people find you at and everything going on with Baseball and Stitch as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolute, people can find me. My personal Twitter is Jaysco twenty three. I do some college contents and draft content, MLB analysis stuff, and then you can find Baseball and Stitch on Twitter, and then our podcast is where we find your podcast at YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music. We post every Tuesdays and then we're very active on Twitter as well.
Speaker 1: All right, well, Jackson, thank you so much. Man, hope you enjoy the draft. I'm going to try to do my best to enjoy it. But appreciate having you on to talk about the draft, buddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. And we're back on this latest episode of Raised Roof. We really really appreciate Jackson coming on to talk with us about everything in regards to the MLB Draft.
Speaker 2: I'm excited to see what happens. I don't know.
Speaker 1: If any of the fans are going to have the ability to talk with any of the players. I know that so twenty twenty five in Atlanta, there wasn't really a lot of people. I don't think anyone that actually showed up for the draft twenty twenty four, there definitely was, and I believe that a bunch of players, at least like ten to twelve players have actually been invited to the draft for Saturday. So we'll see what happens with that. But I'm very excited to see what happens. I'm very excited to be there and be part of it.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 1: The Rays don't get this opportunity often because of how good that they've been consistently in the last couple years. So the fact that they're in this position now with having as good of a season as they're having right now is just fantastic to say. So, with that being said that it's going to conclude the pod. Appreciate everyone for listening. If you guys want to follow everything that we got going on, especially through all the All Star Game stuff, we should have follow us uh at Raise the Roof tb R A Y s the Roof TV on Twitter, slash x, Instagram, and we're gonna try to get our TikTok account up in enough time so that we can do stuff for the All Star Game. Our YouTube channel has just raised the roof again. All of our videos that we're gonna try to do for the All Star Game will be there. So we should have liked share, subscribe to the subscribe to the YouTube channel and then also turning those postsentifications so you guys know when new uploads are happening for the podcast and the supporter us. Did you guys have been We should have liked share, a like, subscribe, leave us a review, hopefully a five ser review, and share this with your family, your friends. Anyone know who's a Raised fan or a baseball fan that most added podcasts in their podcast We would love to be part of it. A shout out to our sponsor, Sea Geek in the Clutch, JKS, Prince, and Homage, but sure to use that the first three be sure to use that code raise the roof, ari A y s the roof and I'll catch to check out, save you some money on tickets, merch and mini chops, and that affiliate link for Homage to get yourself some MLB license praise merch be sure to use that. With all that being said, thanks so much for listening. Enjoy the MLB Draft and as always, raise up baby