Speaker 1: It was one of those big picture games, not one of those win at all costs tonight kind of games.
Speaker 2: Well, Jeff, it's the first time you've been on all what is this called Dodgers territory in a while, and it's not a fun game to be here. But you are pinch hitting for Alana tonight and the Dodgers. I guess they hit a little bit, but man, just not a fun game at all. Five run seventh for Boston seals the win for them, seals the punt game. We're locking in now. I'm as locked in as Cole Irvin was there. But yeah, just reactions, immediate thoughts on this one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 1: It was one of those games where you kind of fear this was how it would turn out, you know, not so much a punt game. And maybe this is semantics, which is why I got an English degree so I can deal with deal with semantics. But you know, this was a game of let's see if the offense can score enough runs to give us a win, even though we are going to have a minor league pitcher throw one hundred pitches, because that was the plan all along. Like you and I when we when we heard that cole Irvin had been added to the active roster, and it was a bullpen game today.
Speaker 2: That was the.
Speaker 3: Easiest math to do.
Speaker 1: One plus one equals to cole Irvan's thrown one hundred pitches tonight.
Speaker 3: It was one hundred and two pitches.
Speaker 1: Some of them were good, a lot of them weren't, and then the offense couldn't do enough to win the game. But it was one of those big picture games, not one of those win at all costs tonight kind of games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people in the chat obviously understandably not going to be very happy. It is to borrow from my friend over from the All Dodgers YouTube channel, Jeff Snyder. It is one game. If you guys don't know, that is Jeff Snyder right there. We we are two parts of the four people that make up All Dodgers. Here. We're talking a little bit of post game recap here on Dodgers territory, and then we're gonna move over to All Dodgers after this and talk more about big picture stuff, maybe some of the bullpen because it did not look good tonight. Henriquez gets the ball in the first inning, pitches around a or works around a single in there and then yeah, we'll climb. Continues the decline for him in this one. Let's talk about the good. We got the good, the bad, the ugly, the good three hits for Freddy, he you know, continues to be locked in show Hay. Couple of knocks in there the day after a rest day there, including a monster Homer has the double in there. A lot of things we could touch on with that. Let's let's stick with show Hay a little bit, because you know, he's he's not helping the give him a rest to get you know, put him on the il for a little bit narrative. Or maybe he is because every time he has like one game off he comes back, which is now twice in the last week. He takes that one day off, he comes back and he cranks a homer and a double and he just you know, looks good. He looks like shoe Heeyotani at the plate. What do you think is does it help the narrative or hurt the narrative to give him a rest?
Speaker 1: I you know, it probably like most narratives, it does whatever whatever you want it to do. It's like presidential debates. You know, the guy you like wins the debate. That's just how things work with narratives. Even though Tani's ground out in the ninth inning was one hundred and four miles an hour off, the bat had a five eighty expected batting average, so he could have three hits today. Definitely. Obviously they want to keep him healthy. They want him to be as healthy as he can be in October, ideally to pitch and hit. But you definitely need his bat in October. You know, you can maybe if everybody else gets healthy, you know, including future Dodger Trek Scoogle. You know, you can make a case that maybe you there's a scenario where you don't need his arm in October. Absolutely needs to show hey bat in October and so and obviously you'd like to have his arm too. Yeah, But whatever they need to do to keep him healthy, as healthy as possible so that he doesn't run himself into the ground in the regular season so he can have that.
Speaker 3: Juice in October, that's what they're gonna do.
Speaker 1: And if that's a narrative, great, But yeah, I mean seems like the day off yesterday.
Speaker 3: Definitely looks like it helped him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just give him a little bit of a rest here and there. If that's the plan, you know, if you don't need to give him the ten or potentially because he is a two way player, the fifteen day al stint. If it's once a week, maybe once every ten days, just give him that day off to to keep the knee a little more fresh, you know, help with the maintenance. I'm okay with that, because again twice in the last i think seven days, we have seen showhy a day after, you know, having a game off, just just absolutely crank the ball. Sticking with the lineup. Part of this had a little bit of dialogue in all Dodgers text chat with you and Kevin not the a lineup running out there against Ranger Suarez, Miguel Rojas ruffling some feathers with our friend Kevin Skinner as he bats third, first time, they said in the broadcast, first time miggi Row hit third in a lineup since he was twelve. Apparently promptly hits into a double play in his first at bat. Miggi Row hitting third and going over four is not the reason the Dodgers lost this game. Obviously he did not allow all of those runs, but yeah, that was part of the that story of the early I mean, not so much a white flag, but it's a like you said, it's a type of punt game where they put enough you know, runs on the board. We will try to find a way to win this game, but let's see if we can score first. And they I guess, I mean they got to Ranger Swars. He they did get him, you know, out of the game in the fifth inning. You know, threw a lot of pitches, and that's been the thing with this team. We saw him get to Cole. And I'm not gonna say that, you know, Ranger Swars is in the same breath as Garrett Cole or Cam Schlitzer or Zach Wheeler or whatever. But to tell he's a good pitcher. He's been an All Star in the past, has you know, solid era this year. To get him out in the fifth inning, you know, it's part of the good part of the the positives that you have to grasp for in this game, I would say that's one of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first game of the series and pitchers who will be on the rosters tomorrow and the next day. The Red Sox had to use a lot more relief pitcher pitches than the Dodgers did today. I saw some of the chat saying that Nicole Irvin did his job. Somebody else took exception of that, said his job has helped him win and he sucked.
Speaker 3: But no, his job today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would have been nice if he could have helped the team win, but his job was to go out there and throw a hundred pitches. That's what he's been doing in the minors, not quite one hundred. I think his max this year was ninety four in Triple A. Yeah, I mean he's a stretched out starting pitcher and they's okay, go go be that for us. And you know, I like with Rojas batting third, I was the way I look at it. No, I obviously it's not the best strategy to try to win the game. Even though Rojas does hit lefties well this year, but he's still mcguil Rojas. But for me, you know, Rojas is going to start one or two games a week and probably zero games in October. And so when you have a twelve game lead on July thirty, first, you're you're thinking about October. And so you know that Mickey Rose playing this game. I think he's your last thought on where should he bat in the lineup. Everybody else You're like, okay, well we're you know, Mookie, where do we want him? And Tucker we're trying to get him right again. And Tao's had a good couple of games after we dropped him down. To move on, you go through all that stuff for the people who are actually probably going to be starting games for you in October. Eliezer Alfonso easy to pencil in in the nine hole everybody else. You know, you kind of figure out where you want and then you say, okay, and then we have Miguel Rojas. What spot in the lineup has left? Okay, it's third, That's where Rojas is batting, where normally it would have been Max Muntsey or Tommy Edmund or whoever. But for today it was Miguel Rojas. Because the Dodgers came into the game with a twelve game lead on July thirty first, and you know, you can feel bad for the fans who paid good money to be at that game. I maybe maybe they felt good to do this knowing that it wouldn't be as not as many people there at the game because it was Kyle Tucker babblehead night, But you know, they got the fans who paid good money to be there, got to see a show. Hey, tony home run, got to see another three hit game from Freddy Freeman.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: And the fact is this kind of strategy is why the Dodgers give their fans more wins than pretty much any other team every year, because they're playing big pictures. So yeah, if you look at just tonight, sucks for the people who paid to be there tonight because they got to see six innings of something named Cole Irvin. But if they go to another game, there's a better chance to Dodgers win that game because of games like tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and again too, he did the job he was supposed to do, Like you said, go out there, throw throw a lot of innings, or at least, you know, don't don't force yourself. I mean, if it was a little bit different, if he didn't give up a two run homer into that seventh inning, you know, chances are maybe Dave pulled some different levers to try to win that game. The Dodgers did have a lead in that one, So if it wasn't like so immediate, maybe you've tried to find a way to protect that lead, but it just it became it got so unraveled so fast, and that's where you're just like, all right, listen, we're okay. I'm okay. Occasionally seeing the team wave the white flag, and you know, the first time here on Dodgers territory what we had me and Alana had the sit down with Dave Roberts. It's because we questioned the white flag and and kind of a punt game. Of course, we were questioning a punt game or the feeling of a punt game. In the twenty twenty four postseason, that game three, I think it was against the Padres. There the Walker Buehler game, people being really upset, why does Walker Buehler being left in this game? Buehler ended up being pretty decent after that. I think it was a Grand Slam and then the Dodgers went out and Rattle.
Speaker 1: The Grandson was by Teo to get the Dodgers back in the game. It was all the crazy defense of Freddie hitting Machada with the throw to second and Mickey row like trying to take it himself. That was the year before.
Speaker 2: There was there was a Tatisse homer in there. I remember, you know, for Na.
Speaker 1: There was, Yeah, but that was there was a I think it was even a solo homer that inning.
Speaker 3: Bit.
Speaker 2: It was just I think that was the last time they scored.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, they didn't score again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, like there are times you got to know when to hold him, know when to fold them. And and this was a game to kind of walk away and cole irv and he's going to be celebrated in that clubhouse going out there over one hundred pitches.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would have preferred to not give up what he was the final line six runs. He would prefer to have not done that and maybe left that game feeling good, just allowing Will Kleins two runs with the Freddie error. But that's not how this one shook out. We got a chat here BMW one twenty eight racers. Seems like one game out of each is a punt total BS And you know, I'll put the record back on the screen here. As you said, Dodgers have an eleven game lead in in the NL West. You you still have the most wins in baseball at sixty nine. Nice and they're doing that. They've done that without Tyler Glasnow for a majority of the majority of the season. Same you have three innings all year out of Blake Snell. You know Eric Lauer, you saved from the scrap heap, and he turned into something. You know, if you're able to punt a game each series, as you know BMW Racer is suggesting, and still win each series, I don't care like I take that all day. But they're on pace for one hundred and three wins this year. I don't need to see them break the mariners one hundred and sixteen win record. I don't care about that. I don't need. I don't need to see show Hey win an MVP or Cy Young. I don't need. Alls I need is another World Series, the last one that's going to be given out in a little while here at the end of twenty twenty six. That's all I care about.
Speaker 3: Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you think the Dodgers punt one game a series, you and I have drastically different definitions of punt. I think your definition of punt is more like the definition of lose, because so far, since you also break, they have lost exactly one game each series, and they've won exactly two games each series, and they still have a chance to do that in this series. Yeah, most of the time, it's not punk games. It's sometimes just lose. Today it was you know, if you want to call it a punt, it was definitely a big picture game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this, I would say, is a punt. This is a white flag, this is you know, hey, this is house money. A type of game. I would say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the punting happened when they left Cole Irvin in. You know, they could have pulled him after the two ren homer it's still five to four, let's go for it. But you know they they went for it yesterday against the Mariners to make sure they locked down that win, knowing that it would mean today they needed one hundred pitches from cooler Evan And and so I think the fans who were there yesterday enjoyed hearing the trumpets, enjoyed hearing Randy Newman. And and you know, this is the price you pay. No team wins every game, and it's you know, this is a major tangent. But it's why I never I never bought Pete Rose's stupid. I only bet on my team to win or whatever, because unless you bet the same amount every single game, the fact is you are still impacting things because sometimes you try hard another games and if you've got five thousand bucks on one game, you got to bring in Rob Dibble instead of, you know, a lesser reliever. And so it was a obdubble. By the way, was it the Red's Closer back then? In case anybody is not as old as me, it's crazy, a little bit crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, uh kind of old school closer crazy.
Speaker 1: But anyways, continue And so my point is, yeah, teams have to weigh the big picture and say, okay, we can't try it try our hardest every game. From from that aspect of you know, Edwin Diaz and Tanner Scott can't pitch every game.
Speaker 3: Did even the hitters can't play every game.
Speaker 1: Some of them want to and some of them come close to it, but you know, guys need days off. And so the way you give yourself the best chance to win as many games as possible is to have these kind of big picture games where you say, okay, we're resetting our bullpen tonight. The only relievers the Dodgers use tonight, ed Garter Enriquez for one inning will climb for what was supposed to be two innings, but he will climb it and uh, and then Phillips for two thirds of and so no, it must couldn't have been a full inning. I think it was two thirds of an inning. Yeah, it came in with one out in the ninth inning, you know, and so that means that the other however, many what six relievers in their bullpen didn't pitch today, which means they're probably all available tomorrow and the Dodgers can now, you know, with Yamamoto on the mound, ideally Yama motives tomorrow, right, yes, yeah, so Yamamoto hopefully gives them seven innings and helps reset that that. You know, if the offense can give them a big lead, then they can, let you know, one of the lesser guys finish it out or they go to the closest you know, play. But either way, hopefully after tomorrow you have a handful of relievers who haven't pitched in two days, and you got a really good chance to get a win even with them at she In pitching on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and win the series.
Speaker 1: And if you can win the series, you know, that was the goal today was trying to set ourselves up to win the series, knowing that we've got a six man rotation and only five men to fill it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's gonna be like that still for a little bit longer. We got the news today. You know, Blake Snell is going to go out and make one more minor league rehab start next year or next year, next week before recha.
Speaker 1: He'll probably make a rehab start next year too. Let's be honest, this Blake Snow we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would put a couple of bucks on it. But he's gonna make one more start there and then if all goes well, gets up to five innings, he should be ready to rejoin the starting rotation. What is that second week when I'm gone on vacation. He'll be back in August. There, So you're starting to get better there, Tyler Glas, now throw to hitters again like it's it's July. That's that's you know where it is right now. That's the the sucky part of baseball. Sometimes you are going to lose some games. There's a ten dollars super chat in here from Roboito who says a lot of angry Dodger fans in the chat, Dodgers are gonna be fine. The channeling his inner Alana, it's going to be great. Hopefully they tie the series tomorrow. Just one of those rare games for Boston, you know they they get to enjoy. Also, skier those baseball, says Rip. Ryan's hamstring has pissport timing Preach, brother Preacht, got some more stuff to talk about. We've talked. I guess that was kind of a blend of the good and the ugly. I do want to talk about the bad and then a few more things before we sign off here and we'll continue the conversation over on Dodgers Territory, I mean over on all Dodgers. Not an official ad for the show today, but I do just want to remind people here on Dodger Territory, do we do have merch If you want to check out our store Dodger Territory shot dot com. See on that QR code, click the link into the description. You get stuff for your your baby. You can buy a baby, can buy a onesie. There's there's golf stuff in there, of course, shirts, hats, et cetera. All of that stuff goes directly to supporting us, you know myself, Alana Rizzo, Katie Woo, and the fine folks over here on the Dodgers territory. I do like that golf Towler. By the way, I probably need to get myself one of those. But check that out. If you wouldn't mind helping support the show, you could also become a member here on our YouTube channel. Very soon, myself, Alana and Katie will be having another one of our members only hang out have a beer happy hour shows. I meymore so. I think they had wine and I had vodka. But you know, I digress. Check that out three ninety nine a month. You also get a discount in that afore mentioned a store there. I said, we talked about the good, talked about the ugly. I want to talk about the bad. Not a segue. We do have a super chat from our friend Richie four nine nine uses. Not only did they wave the white flag roberts Rand's underwear up the flagpole, this punt game went hand in hand with Kyle Tucker's Bobblehead. I know Richie is happy that this happened on tucker Bobblehead night. Tuck had missed, you know, had some opportunities with runners in scoring position. Just ducks on the pond in general continues to be just absolutely abysmal at Dodger Stadium this year. I think before the game Davesse had the numbers. He's in like two oh three. I mean, obviously anywhere would have the numbers two o three Dodger Stadium till four Dodger Stadium, and he's hitting two sixty five on the road. But yeah, I mean not much. I guess to add to that.
Speaker 3: No, that that inning when he struck out looking was second and third, yeah, and it was pitch yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You got to put the ball in play there and or at least strike out swinging, you know. And then he gets a base hit later his next time up, so could he use that last time? And then after an intentional walk to Max Munsey, then Lazer Alfonso comes up and on ball five takes he takes ball three to fill the count. Yeah, after five pitches out of the strike so it was a full count. It's bases loaded, two outs, and show heo Tony on deck. And these pitches weren't close pitches that he was swinging out of the zone. They were six eight inches outside. Eric greg wouldn't have called those pitches strikes, it was you know, he might have and he ends up grounding out in the inning when he should have walked in a run to bring up shoe Heo Tony with bases loaded, like when you're betting ninth, you know, your job is just to get the bat in show hey, Toni's hands to turn over that lineup, and I you know, Alfonso did have an RBA single earlier in the game. He you know, I like Eliezer Alfonso. I think that he's as far as backup catchers go, he's better than Charles Entertainment Robinson.
Speaker 2: You know, he's Yeah, he is what he is, but up a little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But that that so that whole inning and we were like, well, maybe it won't matter. The Dodgers already had the lead at that point, but then it immediately mattered because it was the next inning that the Red Sox scored a bunch of runs and you know, would have liked to attack on a few there. You know, the the run that the Dodgers didn't get because a Keyk's bad base running earlier in the game that was immediately followed by shohe a Tony home run, you know, should have been a three run homer instead of a two run homer. All sorts of little things like that where the Dodgers just left left points on the board as they say in other sports.
Speaker 3: Or or Aaron left runs unscored. It was. It was not the cleanest game.
Speaker 1: And then earlier in the game the base hit that should have been you know, handled by Freddy Freeman, that scored.
Speaker 3: Two runs and that was one run anyway.
Speaker 2: But yeah, and that was gonna be the you know again, we talked about the good, the bad, or the ugly, and that was the bad. Just not the cleanest baseball we've ever seen. And and it feels like we're having a few more of those of recent vintage than we're used to. Uh, you know, whatever, tot get him out of the way now. Uh, but yeah, you're seeing some errors, uh, brain farts, bad decisions. You know, maybe both of those are are kik a you saw you know, I mean, people were real upset a couple of days ago about Tucker ignoring Dino's you know send sign uh didn't score there. Yeah, it's it's weird, and you're you're seeing the reaction for Dave. Dave is not a happy camper watching uh, some of the recent play and and you know, we're not anywhere near some sort of closed door meeting type of situation with how the team is playing. You know, you don't, you don't, you're not the best team in baseball and and go go out there and have a closed door meeting or whatever. But still I think it's like, hey, you know, let's let's let's lock get the FN sort of thing here because we haven't just haven't seen consistent clean baseball over like the course of you know, a week and then build on another week, and then build on another week. That's that's kind of what I'm feeling right now. It's it's weird to see this team doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's the dog days of summer. You know.
Speaker 1: I would guess that most good teams go through a stretch like this every season. I always think back to my old nineteen eighty eight Dodgers video through the Eyes of a Winner, and you got Glenn Fry singing soul searching during like May and June when it's just like you know, it was, it was rough, and you know that team ended up okay. I don't know if you remember last year, people spent a lot of the year angry last year at the Dodgers, you know, punting games and this and that and Dave Roberts being an idiot and blah blah blah blah, and last year turned it out.
Speaker 3: Okay too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you it's just one of those nights where you just have to have a big picture of you and you don't have to enjoy it obviously. You know, it's always more fun when the Dodgers win a baseball game than when they lose a baseball game.
Speaker 2: Uh do you have sources on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Literally me.
Speaker 1: But you know, like I said earlier, your chances of seeing more Dodger wins are higher because of games like this. Because now they have arrested bullpen for the rest of this series. Their chances of winning the series are better today than they would have been if they had brought in relievers in the seventh after the two run homer, because I don't know, if you know, Dodgers didn't score again anyway, and so you can chase that win.
Speaker 3: But chances are what happens is you.
Speaker 1: Lose the game anyway and aren't in as good a position for tomorrow.
Speaker 3: In the next day, and.
Speaker 2: To go back to that twenty twenty four NLDS game, you know, Buehler kind of has to eat it a little bit in that start, and yeah, it wasn't all on him. That was also you know, as we mentioned, a little bit of unclean baseball, but him eating a few more innings set the team up for the success. You know, they did a bullpen game for Game four, very you know, highly questionable head scratcher, especially at that time Dave Roberts, you know, kind of his his the career view at that point was a little bit different in twenty twenty four than it is now where he is back to back World Series champion manager and three times over and all of that. There were a lot of questions about Dave and Kenny gets team over a hump and all that. To be fair, twenty one we've talked about it ad nauseum. The roster fell apart, they got hurt. Twenty two to twenty three just were not built for success on the pitching side. But again that type of game, these type of games, they set you up for success tomorrow, two days from now, maybe a whole series.
Speaker 1: And you can also look, yeah, you could also look at game four of the twenty twenty four World Series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, with Brent, the infamous Brent Honeywell game, the.
Speaker 3: Brent Honeywell game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wait was that the Honeywell game that was one of the Honeywell games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, there was a Honeywell game against the Mets too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the one that made him him yeah him.
Speaker 1: At Daniel Hudson gives up four runs in one inning and then Landon nat comes in and actually settles things down a little bit, but but then so too little, too late a little bit. And then Brett Honeywell comes in and gives up five runs in one inning and it's like, oh, Dodgers punted that game.
Speaker 3: Yep. And then they won the World Series the next day, you know.
Speaker 2: And I know people don't like hearing this stuff. The it's just one game, but it is. It sucks. It was a crappy game, and it is. It is what it is. For now, we will all endure and survive another ten dollars super chat from Roboito until and before we wrap up here, and then we'll continue the conversation with bullpen talk and other just random news and nuggets of the day. Ten bucks. I believing Kyle Tucker, the man hester just to a new city, has a new baby. All his family in Florida. Once he settled down, settles down, he'll be all right, be patient, Dodgers fans, and then the lol. So now I question the sincerity of the super chat, but we appreciate it either way. It's August. You gotta have it figured out by now. You gotta lock in by now a little at least, get a little closer to having it locked in by now, but not just talk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that Tucker got on base twice today, Like, yeah, he had a bat at bat with runners in the scoring position. But yeah, overall, the offense did a decent job early in the game and then didn't do much the rest of the game. And but that wasn't just Tucker, like you said, it wasn't even mostly Tucker. Tucker got on base two more times than several guys, several of his teammates.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, but he did.
Speaker 1: Have that the high profile strikeout looking terrible at that when even just a fly ball gets a run in. Uh, And that's that's that's a real thing. But Tucker's gonna have to get really hot for people to stop hyper focusing on every single little failure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. This season could be well the regular season could be a wash, you know, but whatever I mean, Mookie changed the narrative last year around this time, maybe maybe Tuck can do the same. You know. It's it's a whole What have you done for us lately? We've got a lot more things to talk about. We're gonna do it over kick it on over to with the All Dodgers YouTube channel. If you guys are watching this live right now on dt UH, just hang out here. YouTube will automatically take you over there. We'll be over there in about a minute. We're gonna talk more about the bullpen because I don't think we said enough bad things about Will Klein. We we didn't really mention the brock Stewart to the IL News today, so we're gonna dive into that, and you know, again, more random news notes, some of the rumor related stuff of the day, of which there was not much. But we appreciate you hanging out with us here on this edition of Dodgers' Territory. Thank you to Snydog stepping in here on Friday night help me out on the Dodgers Territory. Go follow him on Twitter if you want to. For some reason, he used to be good over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, before I had a job.
Speaker 2: Sucker, what a sucker. We will be back here on Dodger territory on Monday after the trade deadline. If you want to watch me and Jeff and Jeff and Kevin on the other channel live. We'll be live all through the trade deadline, so do check that out over on All Dodgers. But then you'll get the full recap here. Maybe some Katie Wu joining us, but that's about it. We'll see you over on All Dodgers. Bye.