Speaker 1: Get to start today off with a good guest someone I've been trying to track down. Thank you Danielle, because that yell is the homie. She's been chasing Nick with me for a couple of years. Man, yeah, but we got him here. Man, the man of many hats. Welcome to the show, Nick Canneth. Man, appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Man. It's a pleasure, Nick, literally my first time. That's our first time meeting. I ain't met you before broke when.
Speaker 3: Shoot, it's funny that you say that we made in Chicago. Uh at the the hundred of.
Speaker 2: What was that that?
Speaker 3: I mean at the ministers? Uh?
Speaker 4: We at the Criterion? Sure did you never forgot that? I forgot that. I was so in awe. But about the Minister I forgot, you know you did. I went our hearings laving on the way not as hard Criterion.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Nick, I mean rapper, actor, host, comedian five, tell me what a day in the life of you was?
Speaker 3: Like, Man, I mean, like you said, you the first and foremost is fatherhood. I'm wake up, well, crazy thing, I actually wake up. I'm at the office at like two am, Like I'm on that Arcadian clock stuff. So I get up before my day start before everybody.
Speaker 2: What time you go to bed at?
Speaker 3: Uh, probably when the sun go down? Oh really, okay, just for a few hours, because then I'm up and then you know, meditating, working out, doing everything. Usually my my shows start around like six am. But then, like everybody else day, once I knock all that stuff out, then I take the kids to school. That probably like getting them together at like seven seven thirty is drop everybody off by nine and I'm back to the office and you know, we're doing this type stuff for all day long based off of what show was in production or you know, what artists is in town. And then we moved like that.
Speaker 1: We had a Simba on the show on Wednesday, Young Talented Artists. He told us he's he's headed on tour with you, and I kind of look at you as like the our generation of kind of keenan.
Speaker 2: Ivy wayns like you take it.
Speaker 1: You have a knack for finding young black talent and giving them a platform to go on and succeed.
Speaker 2: Talk to me where that kind of mentality came from.
Speaker 3: Man, too much is giving? Much is required? Were blessed so we could be a blessing. A lot of people helped me out on the way up, and you know it's now to me. I feel like I'm at that point in my life where I just want to build platforms to see other people succeed, like just help others. Like a lot of people talk about what.
Speaker 2: We need to do for each other, but you know who's actually doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's just like it's out here. Just if I can get it, I know the next kid could get it because they know all that I know it, and now I passed it to them and now they got some stuff that they can offer up. So that's really what it's all about.
Speaker 1: I mean, I look back and you know obviously what you start, and we'll get into all that. But I look like five ten years from now, and we'll see stars such as d C and some other people are like where did he get a start at?
Speaker 2: And a lot of those roads are going to lead back to you.
Speaker 1: And I just want to give you your flowers for that, because I think that's really dope man. The opportunity you provide for people who, like you said, may not have it or may not have just the means of it, and you provide that and give a lot of people on the outlet to you know, get their shit together.
Speaker 2: Nah.
Speaker 3: I mean that's really what generational wealth is, you know what I mean. And even gott necessarily be something connected directly to your lineage of your DNA. But when you can build platforms that people could provide it for their families and then therefore the offshoot to that, I mean, that's real community right now.
Speaker 4: That's a hell of a comparison. You just man, that was great though. I appreciate that, right.
Speaker 1: I mean I've always looked at him that way, like I just love he gives me opportunities many lucky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean on steroids though.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's heavy San Diego just where you grew up born and raised in San Diego to it's a room that your pops was og.
Speaker 2: Southwest southeast side talking about you up bringing.
Speaker 3: Man, Yeah, I mean it's one of them things where every hood around America is the same, you know what I mean. I actually got the opportunity to be raised in southern California and southeast San Diego, also in North Carolina. Moved around, and you know, I've been in a game for a minute. So I grew up in Atlanta, New York, you know, like all be all throughout my teenage years, I was kind of just moving autonomously like that, just as a youngster. So but now Southeast is definitely what raised me and birthed me. And it was It's interesting because when you hear about San Diego, you think many coopers and surfboards for people ain't.
Speaker 1: Never really been down Wherejlana came from. So yeah, coopers and surfboards.
Speaker 3: But it's quite different. It's right, it's right there next to the border, so you can imagine how much work going back and forth and people really getting to it. So but it was all love. It was a community that's disenfranchised, but you know, it kind of gave me the upbringing of raised in the church, you know, projects all of that. You know, so we didn't know we didn't have because it was it was still community, you know what I mean. Yeah, love, Yeah, yeah, So you know, my parents were teenagers. They had me while they was in high school. My pops got his life together after he got locked up and moved to North Carolina. That's how we got out there. And then you know, my grandmother was the matriarch of the family and was really raising us all. You know, she got she was a grandmother, you know, before she was forty type situations, so it is that's but it had this unorthodox sense of family that always felt like there was love no matter where, no matter what was going on.
Speaker 4: What you was interested in growing up was a sport. I mean, like yeah, music.
Speaker 3: With church man, you know, anything that that was that was kind of like my my entry point into like audiences and even in it because it was like you see that congregation and you you know, we come from a line of ministers. My father's in the mint. You know, he eventually got into the ministry and stuff. So I would just peep, you know, controlling a crowd even I was like four years old, wanting to you know, tell everybody to stand when it was time for offering and all of that type of stuff. And then really just seeing all of the instruments around too. My mother's father was actually a jazz musician and the minister of music. So and he passed when when I was eight and left me all of these instruments. Oh so yeah, so I got an opportunity to start getting down at like eight years old, and then from there it was just I was in love with music. DJ and by the time I got into high school, throwing parties, making mix tapes, that type of stuff. So it was just the music was in me from the gate.
Speaker 4: So you're saying, we all know you started early, and you like experienced a lot of things. What's stuck, Like what you what's stuck? When you knew like I made it like this is gonna get me there, like he was doing everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I ain't never really think about it like that because it was always like this is just it's in me. It was a passion just as an artist, so I never even thought of it as like a career, you know what I mean, or even like, but I knew I had a hustle about me, so like, you know, we did whatever we had to do to make some money. You know, my mom's was married to one of the biggest d boys in the city, so I kind of watched how he moved and that was like, oh, we're good. Like it was. So I was never thinking about making it out the hook because the hook was feeding us, So I didn't have that mentality of wanting to get out, you know what I mean. So even as we got older, and it was just like I just wanted to put on for so it was when it started to be you know, when everybody starts saying I was exceptional in certain spaces and winning talent shows, and like I would enter a talent show and I would come in first and second, like as a stand up and as an artist. So I would just it was unique and I and I still I mean like I was just out there hustling. I didn't never think of it as a career. I was just having fun. So even in high school, like I'd be you know, Jamie Fox's comedy Festival in Atlanta and like had to could be at school at Monday morning. People wouldn't even believe me. I was like, So it was just it was just part of my upbringing. So I never had that mentality like oh I made it. I was just like, yo, I'm having a great time. Like I'm just having fun. So I never want I never had that destination of like, yo, let's let's get out, or let's make it, or now I made enough money to work. It was never like that for me.
Speaker 2: That's deep. That's deep.
Speaker 3: I still be on the block. I mean I still go like because it's still the family is still you know, I try to get down there to San Diego as much as possible, and it's everybody the same. We still moved the same way.
Speaker 2: How did a lot of people don't know you did stand up? Yeah? How did? Like what did how did that start? Like you're doing stand up?
Speaker 3: Opening up for the preacher? Man, my pops you know what I mean, like telling Jesus jokes and the check like real talk like and because I was young, my pops always see me doing stuff with the music and stuff and be like, man, every kid in the projects want to be a rapper, Like you funny, you can, you can control the crowd. You could talk about people and he's like, do that, that's think outside the box. Be different. And then he would be the type of dude that like would put me on the spot. He had a little teller at the time. He had a televangelist show, Uh, you know, trying to you know, blessed oil and all that stuff. Uh and I would you know it was on cable access. So to be on cable access you had to go to have a show. You had to go through the workshops and do and learn and learn how to work all this stuff. So he put me through the workshops to be his crew. So I was running the camera, setting up the lights, doing the audio set design, and like twelve, you know what I mean, and so and his reward to me with that would be like, all right, well, now that you went through all of that and worked on my show, you can you know, have a few hours in the television studio and I would just be telling jokes, making music and shit would actually come on TV on you know, channel three hundred some while shit like that. But it was like through that, I was like, oh wow, I'm junior high school producing television telling jokes. And then from there that's when you know, it's talent shows and all stuff I was saying, where people just started to take notice.
Speaker 1: You spoke on it earlier, your grandfather passing at the age of eight, but you know, kind of your inspiration behind the music. Talk to us about his impact he left on you.
Speaker 3: I mean, realistically, it was more just about the you know, being eight, you don't really, yeah, but the fact that what he left me, you know what I mean, And that was always my connection to him, to be like, oh, I can get to know him better through all of this equipment. Really, you know, to have that level of of equipment for an eight year old in the hood. You know, I had everything. I had guitars, trumpets, synthesizers, drums, like all stuffed into like a closet and like because we didn't even have you know, it was so we didn't have a lot of space. Yeah, but it was just so much so that I would be even for years, I would go in there and like, dang, I wonder how we play this or how to figure this out? So that in itself, man, just in teaching myself how to play and then be able to go to church or whatever event and get down with other musicians and stuff. I would have never had that if you would have never left me.
Speaker 1: You're breaking the music officially, Drive Records two thousand and one. Was that experience like for you?
Speaker 3: Uh man, y'all going back, I gotta update my resume. I don't even remember, to be honest, because that was so much going on in my life at the time. And I have, like I said, I have been hustling, and you know I was. I was around in the nineties, so I was, you know, trying to figure out how to you know, get signed the death row bad Boy all of that, like with like I remember being, you know, on Sunset Boulevard the night of the Soul Train Awards, you know, like and then like literally when it was like how it looked in the movies, where like Snooping then was on one side of the street Biggie and then was on another Leo was at the House of Blues like so growing, I felt like I was already in the mix right for since like the mid nineties, and I was just that kid that you would always seem like, what is this kid doing here, like almost like the Waterboy type energy, but instead of water I was passing out CDs and stuff like that. So by the time the deal came around, I had already been signed to Will Smith, I have been you know, did the joint with Jamie Fox. I had already been on Nickelodeon and all of that stuff. So I actually started Nickelodeon and Jive Record Label and that's what two thousand. So it was like it was interesting because like Nickelodeon was this billion dollar company and they was doing all that, but they didn't have a record label. I was like, yo, let's just call it Nick Records. And then that's how and I, you know, kind of had the distribution through Jive, and so even then I was more of an executive. I wasn't even trying to be an artist. So it was just like I wanted to produce all of the acts on Nickelodeon and put them out because I was also during the time where Disney was booming with Britney Spears Christina in Sync, so I was like, Yo, we should do that over here and then kind of give it more of an urban spin. So that's how that came about.
Speaker 1: Thinking early, right, who were I mean, obviously the grind was was was in your DNA, But who are some of the people you looked up to in the space.
Speaker 3: H Man, just Puff, Jermaine dupri Like, those are the dudes that I wanted to emulate coming up, Like I just you know, just being behind the scenes. You know, I was signing up all the little cute girls in my high school. Tell them I'll give them a record deal. I don't know what they That was my game.
Speaker 2: You know. That's a mean hustle too.
Speaker 1: You tell a girl you can put it on a record or a movie.
Speaker 3: So that's like but even more that's like I didn't ever want to be the dude in the front, Like even I was, you know, trying to out producing beats for the homies. I'll be let me be the DJ, Let me be the dude that could press up the mixtapes and sell them out the trunk of my mom car. Like that movement felt like what I aspired to be. But once I don't know, man, like it was just one of those things I looked up to, people like Quincy Jones, you know what I mean. I would do my research on the OG and the greats. So yeah, like even Russell Simmons and people like who were creators a culture, who had a true impact on our lifestyle and what we did. Like, so those are the people that and I mean even still to this day, when we when we think about the individuals who shaped our culture, it's them, whether they were producing the music, producing.
Speaker 2: The film, no matter what they were doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and even I mean even and as I got even older and I started to tap in with cats like Harry Belafonte and Dick Gregory and all like. Even as much of they were showmen, they were producers, they were entrepreneurs. Their business acumen was next level, especially when you think about all the adversity that they were up against in those times. They had to be able to be one person for you on camera, but was really running a full operation and putting on not just for the business, but even for the community in the activism space too.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seems like you were someone that grew up knowing how to be in front and behind the camera. So it was only right when you started your own label. Incredible Entertainment talked to us about how that started.
Speaker 3: It was, Man, it's one of them scenarios where I've had several companies, Like I said, since high school, I was always trying to do something and here and there, and then you can you can have multiple labels and multiple production companies. But at one point it was like probably mid two thousands, they're probably like, right, I think right when I got married, I was like, man, I want to just consolidate every business that I have and bring it into one. So, because you know, I had television production, I had mister Renaissance, I had cannot ball and attain all of this stuff. And it was just even as you know, you get to your business manager and you got to sign all of this, and I was like, man, how do we make this just one bit conglomerate, and my goal was like, yo, I just want one incredible multi media, just one stop shop. And probably that's how it all came together. So probably like around two thousand and nine twenty ten, I just consolidate everything. And then interestingly enough, that's also twenty ten is when I got business with Monster and we created the incredible headphones, and you know that when we went on to sell like two hundred million dollars and head in a few years, and you know, it was kind of it was on the same pace. I mean, Monster was the same company that created Beats by Dre, so I was the more affordable. We were in Walmart where they was at.
Speaker 2: You know, thet people than there are albumagty.
Speaker 3: So I learned how to build the brand off the hills of that. So it became more than just a company, became a brand. That's how we move it.
Speaker 2: I love it. Ninety eight You land the role and all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the talk about the process of auditioning and getting that role, because you know I'm starting acting too, so.
Speaker 3: Salute on that. Appreciate it. It's funny I didn't. I never auditioned. It was one of them scenarios. Just what we've been saying. I was behind the scenes. I started at my manager and the producers from Nickelodeon saw me doing stand up at the at the improv roles when I was like fifteen, and I was.
Speaker 2: The kid in it.
Speaker 3: You know, I was going up as Dave Chappelle and you know Chris Tuck, everybody go. Every month, Monday used to be lit. It was no better Mondays, and it was like that was the black Night. And I was a fifteen year old kid and they're doing stand up. So they was like, yo, this kid got a real voice. So took a couple of meetings and they gave me an opportunity to you know, do the warm up, do pretty much my set, you know, before the actual actors and everybody came out, and I would have to be put on for like three hours, and it'd be so much people would be mad when they'd have to go back to shooting. Like the warm up kid is more entertaining what's going on on the show. So from there I was the warm up and then they started asking me, you know, for help with the jokes and concepts because I'm still a high school student. So they was like, well, he knows his voice better than and a lot of these adult writers. So they allowed me. They gave me an opportunity to have a staff writer's position that like as a team. I was the youngest staff writer in television history. And then from there I was writing for All That and Kenan and Kel and a bunch of different shows, and like I said, I was started writing my own show. So it was almost by default that I was on the show because I was behind the scenes as the warm up in the writer. And you know, even by then, I kind of just was like, yo, let me just have fun. I wasn't trying to trying to be the star to show and I was just there. And I think that's even when you think like how SNL and a lot of that work, like they just find their lane, and I was just really as a kid trying to find my lane amongst you know, ten other talented young people.
Speaker 1: It seemed like all this shit was just fun. But I'm saying that the sounds fun. He was having fun, yeah, and then the money started coming with the fun. Yeah, you know what I mean. So don't really feel I mean, although it's hours in time, it doesn't really feel like work because you love to do it anyway.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what. That's how I lived my life even still to this day. It's like, if I ain't having fun, I ain't doing it.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a.
Speaker 3: Blessing to have that level of freedom to where you could wake up and say, I'm gonna do what I want to do, and if I'm not enjoying myself, I want to have a delightful disposition so I could fuck with everybody and be cool and like, nobody liked to show up to somewhere. They feel like they forced to be there. So it's like and I feel I think, you know, one of the quotes say is like money don't make you happy. Happy makes you money.
Speaker 2: So that's my first time hearing that. That's a good one. I like it. That my personal How did you feel when you first landed your first show? To Nick Cannon Show Again?
Speaker 3: I created it, so it was you know, the eighteen nineteen years old. It was an opportunity. It's funny though too, because I had I had just had a show. I was signing Will Smith before that through Warner Brothers and they I had a six episode commitment for a show that I wrote called The Loose Cannon. I remember I pitched it to Will and I was like, Yo, it's like the fresh Prince of bell Air but me and the military school. And he was like, I'm rocking with it. And then we put it all together. I'm watching how Yeah Quincy Jones come to the pilot and all that stuff. Six episode commitment. I'm fresh out of high school. I'm like, I'm on, you know what I mean, first thing I do. I get a big check, I buy a range Rover, you know what I mean. Will was like, man, don't do that. Like He's like, I made that same mistake when I was. I was like, man, whatever, I just got six episode commitment was coming on right after the Jamie Foxx Show on the WB that was my scheduled slot. Like, and so I'm lit. All of a sudden, they get new people at Warner Brothers. Things shift, they go in a whole different direction for that whole block, and my show don't get picked up. So we got we just got.
Speaker 2: One on off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I was heart broke. Like that was probably in the industry one of my first big like heartbreaks, because I'm on, I just bought a range row bro You trying to get my mama, a house, all of that stuff. But so what that did that instantly humbled me at at an early age. So when I was like, bump it, I'm not I'm not gonna rely on nobody else. I'm gonna just continue to create my own. And that's when I created the Nick Cannon Show and took it over, you know, across the street to Nickelodeon. So and even though I knew that grind, that like that grind was definitely harder than like coming on after Jamie Fix, Like I thought I was gonna be in that camp, like when it was Jamie Fox and Wayne's brother Steve Harvey show, like it was during that time, and I was like, oh, I'm next up, And I was like, dang, Will was right. I had to had to get rid of.
Speaker 2: The range rock.
Speaker 3: It took me more have moved back here with Mom's for a little bit, like just because I ran through it and I thought it.
Speaker 2: Was I thought it was about to keep copping.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I was like tailing into the you know, end of the nineties. So I was like by the time, I was like, I ain't gonna let that happen to me. Are you forty two?
Speaker 4: You are not the same age? Old forty two? Really three years old as old ass nigga?
Speaker 2: What you mean? Yeah, I did not know I was three years old. You damn old last nigga he said you were, you were not his. I thought he was the same age all this time, no wonder, Yeah, okay, now, yeah, I didn't know that. I thought you was the old motherfucker too. Bro. You see all them grades, you don't see no grades over here?
Speaker 4: I see something, not as many, not as many ship salt pepper, Yeah, mostly salt.
Speaker 1: But two thousand and five whilding out, I mean a Coult classic.
Speaker 2: I got a check.
Speaker 4: He needs to be on the Funniest mother came Bro, I didn't see that episode.
Speaker 2: I didn't talking that episode.
Speaker 3: You need to be there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna I'm gonna out wrap some motherfuckers when I get on you.
Speaker 2: This is my fucker's a comedian, bro.
Speaker 1: Man, I know I didn't really stretch out on that show. I was because I was such a fan.
Speaker 2: I would have heard about it.
Speaker 1: I was just coming to the show to chill. And then and then someone says, like Nick wants you on the Show's like, no, I care.
Speaker 2: I was blowed to I'm like, no, I'm just coming. It was during fashion week.
Speaker 1: I was like, now, I'm just coming to watch it, and I went and talked to just come on the show. Nick Tha was like, all right, fuck man, I.
Speaker 4: Needed to play the fifth and everything, and I need to pass some of them insults to other people because I'm.
Speaker 2: I take them every day on the show. You got to spread them ships around.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: But uh, wilding out the thought process and that how that became and it's I mean, it's still doing what it does.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we about shoot were twenty season all damn.
Speaker 2: Talking about five seasons now.
Speaker 3: We started back then, and it was really the way it happened, like nobody saw the vision. So what I did really was at that time when I was bubbling kind of doing my thing, and I'd be hanging at the comedy club or you know, off of Peko, and it'd be all of these other cats. They're like looking at me and you put us on do something, you know what I mean, And I'm like I and I was at the time. It was catching Cat Williams, Evan hard dray Davis, like we was all we all kind of came up and at the same same time. So we'd just be backstage literally freestyling, talking shit, talking about each other, mama, like really just putting that energy on. I was like, Yo, this is the show right career. I was like, So I rented out the comedy club, got some cameras, we promoted it, had everybody come out. It was like me, Chris Spencer, you know, a couple other people. That was kind of structured the uh you know what we was gonna do and turn us just bullshitting into to an actual show. And then you know, me and my dude now Evans kind of put the logo together and the like. I remember creating the logo and I was like, this is gonna be iconic, and then you know, took it to MTV and they're like, oh, we get what you're talking about now. I was like, all right, well I'm gonna own my brand because y'all could have paid for it, but I paid for it. So from there, you know, we rested here history. We almost five hundred episodes later.
Speaker 1: When it first started, uh, you were going out and finding talent. The word was out there were coming to you. How did you start getting talent?
Speaker 3: It was the homies, Like that's what I'm saying like back then, like if you even watch like the first season wild'n Out, like it was a broke Kevin Hart, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: I think at the time we had in the first like the poloty we had loan on like we had. It was just like people was like, yo, gum fuck. And then that was the thing too because at that time MTV had just had like punk, so like Ashton Kutcher was their star. So it's like, you know, and we was like the step child to punk. So everybody was going on punk, like justin Timberlake and Beyonce, and we was like, yo, let's just put a little Wayne on all.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Like it was, it was hip hop and for when MTV wasn't fucking with it really realistically, we was building the culture. So people was like, nah, I rock with what y'all got going over there. And it was just every season and just started getting bigger, bigger and bigger.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Beause this question, this next question, I don't mean I want who has the job like that job?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean similar to what Doctor busted with the Lakers, creating the Laker Girls.
Speaker 2: You have created Wilding Out Girls and mister everybody relaxed.
Speaker 1: It was like question, I had a foundation event maybe four years ago with Snoop and I hit Nick and his team up, like, Nick, we need some women for this poor party.
Speaker 2: Nick.
Speaker 1: And when I tell you they came through and flying colors, bro, I.
Speaker 3: Could take no credit.
Speaker 2: Who has the job to hire the wilding Out girls? How can I apply? You want to be a wilding Out girl? No, not at all. I want to be around them now.
Speaker 3: I mean, honestly, you said you gave her a shout out at the beginning between the casting and uh at Paramount and you know v H one and m TV. But Danielle has been She's super dope, you know, seeing she cast and Rose and they've been doing their thing since season one, and she's really she is a great person. She's a great relationship. She brings a lot of the talent you know on the show. And then at the same time she has her own casting company and everything I do, she casts and she It's a delicate thing, especially when you believe, like even with like the me Too era and all of that stuff, we always want to make sure that we're super respectful when we create an environment for the women to be comfortable. But even in that scenario, you can't. I mean, we don't have every rapper on the show. Every but and it's because of the people. Everybody's keep good people with good energy energy. And that's the thing when you when everybody feels like they treated well, and that's that's the vibe show. And I test that all to her. She's just somebody that knows how to bring good people together and make sure everybody head on straight and in on that bullshit.
Speaker 1: Talk us about a whiling out shoot that you gotta shoot multiple shows one.
Speaker 3: Day, three episodes in a day, okay, yeah, So and you know, probably because it's like it's like a sport. So we we do like, you know, the the rehearsal or we call it the workout or the workshop, like a week or two before, just putting it on his feet, getting your improv muscles together. So because none of it is written, we're just going off the top. But you got to know how to play the game. You gotta keep the speed, keep the rhythm, keep the flow going. And so then by the time we get to shooting the show and it's whatever happens, I mean, you get to you get to see it. You know, it's you get to see it happening in real time. And somebody say something that ain't funny. We're gonna make funny for not being fun Somebody stumbled, We're gonna laugh, you know if something. But and you just see everybody's skill set and talent and it just go. You know, what you see on TV is how long it really took us to shoot it. I mean, it'd be a little stop down here and there. But our goal is to make you feel like it's live so we can knock three out and be done.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously you've had a lot of success in the entertainment space, but did Wilding Out surprise you on just its longevity and the ability to be a platform for so many different people to branch off and do their thing.
Speaker 3: I mean, it did it. I didn't see it as where it is now, you know what I mean. I knew it was gonna be successful. I knew it was gonna be special. I knew the logo was gonna be iconic and all of that. But I didn't see, like, man, we just sold out Madison Square Garden, we sold out the Staples Center, A few times. You know, we on tour every summer and people come out for it. We got board games, we got restaurants, you know what I mean. I opened up one in Miami, San Diego, we opened in one in La. Now it's just like I didn't know that that ip was going, you know, diversify in so many different places. So and the fact that it could continue to go on and on and even in a digital space. Now it's really strong and giving others opportunities. I mean, that's what I always set out to do initially was to give my friends jobs. And now you know, I'm funny, I'm hiring some of their kids and putting them on the show at this point. So to have it across multiple generations and still going and people a lot of people feel like it's still new, you know what I mean, it's crazy to see, like, you know, I got eleven year old son and him and his friends talking about.
Speaker 1: My twins walked the fourteen. It's just like that next level. It's just like a generation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So and that's that's the vibe to where it's like, Yo, I'm now like all right, well how long can this joint rock for? Like I remember it like, yeah, I'm gonna do one hundred episodes and I'm done. And I was like, I'm gonna go ahead and try to get to ten seasons. Let's go twelve, you know, Like now you know, like I said, we we surpassed twenty.
Speaker 2: And syndicated right once you get to that level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like so that show gonna be on forever.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: I mean obviously you know, five hundred plus shows, memorable shows, memorable people on it. Like anything come to mind when I asked that favorite show maybe, I mean, like.
Speaker 3: I said, your episode was fire. I don't know what you talk about. It's one of the classics when you go the line and you see the reals, like classic moment. You got some classic because you was up there talking that ship. We expect you to say certain things. But Snoop, you know, Snoop in there a few times, you know what I mean? Probably it's Snoop and he one of the people that he don't care. He'll get up there and joke with you. But it also freestyle, you know. Yeah, so Snoop is probably the most he high.
Speaker 2: Until you say some shit, get on your.
Speaker 3: Fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got an opportunity to work with Jordan to create a sneaker.
Speaker 2: How did that partnership come together?
Speaker 3: Man, that's interesting because it's funny. The joint that I've worked on was Jordan's seven, and it was like all of the years I think we were doing it was almost like a commemorative all the years of wild'ing out. So I had like the red had the gold, the platinum, like it was dope, and I had a few pair and they was like gonna make mad limited joints for the cast members and he was gonna given it to the guests that season, and like, I don't know what happened, Like this was like pre pandemic. And then I started seeing online where somebody had designed some furs and it was calling them the wilding Out for I was like the make the ones design, so like, you know that sneaker culture, so it's real, like you got to really be about it. So I'm still waiting for the while in our seven to come out. But it was, I mean, it's you know, it's cats who grew up loving sneakers and specifics.
Speaker 2: And with Jay's he got Mike's number.
Speaker 1: You called Mike and aself with the incredible sevens, I sure can act like.
Speaker 3: Nah, but that you know that, that's that's a world where I was just excited to even be able to create. But the ones that everybody talking about now, I ain't had learning to do it though.
Speaker 2: I pick up my phone and look who text me? Look at the second message.
Speaker 4: He sent me one too, Oh Steve from Jordan Georgian h Energy drum line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, how was that?
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that. Yeah, that was twenty years ago. Man, it was the Au Center, Atlanta. You know, Uh, a lot of people don't know that. Drum line is Dallas Austin story, both of them, no question, I at L and drum line of both his and he was a producer on both of them. Remember we did we did We did drum Line first, and he was like, I got this other movie called jelly Beans and it was telling me was about this roller skating rig in Atlanta that him and t Bolls from TLC. And also he's like, we used to go and that's eventually what became at L. But he was just a creative man on them subcultures and I was I mean, he's one of the best producers of that generation. So he was a musician but never knew how to read music, but was just dope on the snare. And that's how you know, we got that story. And you know, me growing up almost in a similar story teaching yourself self taught musician, I kind of picked up on that vibe, and you know, you go in and it was it's only so many, like mainstream, big budget projects for our culture that come ever so often. So everybody in their mama was auditioning for it and knew about it, and so I had the relationship. And I remember even I had to have had a big homie call the president of Fox. I had to have will call to be like, Yo, this is the kid.
Speaker 2: It's funny.
Speaker 1: He said that because we had TI on when was in Atlanta like a month ago, and he said he was auditioning for the role too.
Speaker 3: But that's the thing that's kind of funny, how you know, even and you know I was supposed to do you know, the other wise atl So that and you always that's funny because I'll be watching the different shows and stuff and everybody was like, yeah, I was supposed to be this. It's like, of course, that's what your team gonna tell you that they want you, they want you to come in and read for it. But at that point and then you know, because everybody's doing their thing, whether you're an artist or athlete, are already established, but they're looking for That's the that's the magic about acting and about this art form that when you know it's right, it's gonna be right, you know. And that's the eye of a casting director that I have a director. So it don't even be no love lost. It don't be like you less talented than this person anything. It's just like for what this story is we're looking for. We yeah, you can be the vessel to get that there. And you know, I just gave it my all the young age, but I ain't had no hopes in it. I ain't know what it was gonna be. Again. I just thought it was another dope opportunity to have fun, and you know, I was gonna go hard because I knew this world. And then once we went to Atlanta, it's another thing too. They want I remember for you know, uh, Orlando Jones. Originally they they wanted Jamie Fox for it. Oh really yeah, originally Orlando killed it though, But that's what I was like, I can't even see it, Jamie my favorite actor, and but I don't think he could have been Doctor Lee. And it's funny because Drumline became one of Jamie's favorite movies, and then he was so proud of me. He's like, you knew me since I was a kid, and he's like he would for years come up to me reciting lines of like, man, I love that movie. You and Orlando killed it. So it's like the energy is just when it's.
Speaker 2: Right, right's right? Can you read music now? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was acquiring. I played in the band in middle school, but that was the hardest thing to do.
Speaker 3: It's one of the I mean, you know, I go once. It's tedious, so as kids, you don't want to do it. But even now, like sight reading, like if I sit down, I gotta it's gonna take me a minute. But if I just want to mess around, I can go crazy. And that's the same thing on the drums or anything. But when you got to keep that tempo and you know, it's the language to keep you know, the frequency moving, so as you're reading, you gotta make sure you vibe in too. So it's not the easiest thing in the world, but it's also it's it's simple yet complex.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between TV and the big screen.
Speaker 3: Nowadays? Nothing? I mean it's all on multiple screens now. Back then it used to be there. It was some compartmentalization based off of movie stars would looked at. Yeah, they used to say television stars are more like family because they're in your home. Movie stars you are more on art because they're forty feet high. And then music stars are more connected to your heart and your passion because they're in your ear and their party. They're the rhythm and the pulse and the soundtrack to your life. So that's why being able to be a part of Australia.
Speaker 2: So you fuck with all of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so it's really finding a connection because ain't nothinglike feeling like, you know, when you're on TV. Everybody well yeah, I know you like that energy because they see you on TV every day in their house and they ain't have to pay for you to need it. But you know, movie stars people a little little starstruck because they see you on that big screen. And then music people got so much pack. That's why we fall in love with the Tupacs and the Waynes and the you know, Boosey's and the Mary Jay's and Beyonce's because we feel like, yo, I couldn't. I wouldn't have made it too without this song that. So it's like I've always saw, you know, the differential nature of being able to tap into each one of those and you know, be blessed enough to operate in all of those.
Speaker 2: Is it a movie that we know of and seen that you've turned down?
Speaker 3: Man turned down? Or also like you know, just he said we'll be all day man, It just this game is crazy. But it's you get to that point and it's even even after he passed the audition stuff. I've had movies that I've developed that were mine and because a bigger actor or a bigger director would come in and be like, yeah, now I want to do that, and then the studio will be like, well, we're gonna make a hundred million dollars if he does it, and it's like damn, like it was I remember one story.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: This was another one that broke my heart because it was I remember I was at the premiere of the Matrix, uh and it might have been a Matrix too, and the there was this producer who produced all the Fast and Furious movies Neil Maritz and we was like super cool man. He was like, I got this great film for you, call RPM. He's like, it's about a black Formula one driver, a young Formula one driver and he goes overseas for this big jewelry heights and he's stealing jewelry on the side. Why he's winning winning Formula one races and his partner in crime is this big jewelsy. It's like, we're gonna get Nicholas Cage to play. It's gonna be you and Nicholas Cage, Nick and Nick. It's like it's gonna be just as big as Fast. And I'm juiced, like I got Fast in the period. Its like, and he'd be playing me with Nicholas Cage and were rocking and get all do we do the deal? I'm like, I'm on now, Like I feel I feel like I was like, Oh, this is the one. This is like it's like, this is gonna be bigger than rush Hower, Nick.
Speaker 2: And Nick and all of this stuff.
Speaker 3: And I'm like and then they're like, we're just trying to close up Nicholas Cage deal because you know, we offered them twenty million. But he wants twenty five, and they're like, we're gonna see if we can get there, and then uh, some some other producer gave him twenty five to do this movie called National Treasure.
Speaker 2: I was like, but Nick, what I mean?
Speaker 3: But it's stuff like that happens all the time. And that's even one of those things was like, I got to stop getting excited about stuff until you know, you can speak it into existence and watch it coming to fruition. But don't, you know, don't don't start trying to scramble them.
Speaker 1: Eggs almost till it comes out, because sometimes you can shoot shit to never go either man.
Speaker 3: And there's so much that's happened several times when we done made movies and we thought it was gonna go and sit on the shelf five years, and then by the time it come out.
Speaker 2: Like lost culture shifted, you know, in the world.
Speaker 3: So it's you never know, you just got to be in it for the moment and appreciate the present and the gift and that at that time.
Speaker 2: Is there anybody that you are in all working with?
Speaker 4: You work with Samuel Jackson, Angela bess At, Steve Harvey, shoot.
Speaker 3: Man, I mean, really working with Spike just as a filmmaker and watching Spike move, and that was I love just who he is for the culture, who he is as a person. Spike is really that dude man like I'm trying to think anybody like that. That's the probably person I was a student of. And I was just following him around and watching how he was getting to it and even how he was dealing with people like Wesley Snipes and you know, telling him where his motivation was and how to how to portray the character talking to Angela Bassett and you know, like you said, Samuel or Jackson. So I'm just over his shoulder, just peeping how the reference that they have for him. And so Spike is probably the person I was probably the most in awe of.
Speaker 2: How was it making Ink will equell?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: It's funny that you say that.
Speaker 3: I know you put the love cost of things.
Speaker 2: Joy, I'm talking loved no cost of things what I said, because they damn need the same movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what you like one of the few people who pick up on that because it's funny too, because think about it, where we first saw.
Speaker 2: A little lady in this movie that I like, you see.
Speaker 3: Lorenz Tate as old dog in Minutes where he is straight gangster, and then the next time we see him here in the Ink well as a straight nerve.
Speaker 2: That's the same type of movie. It was funny.
Speaker 3: The same thing with me is like and in drum Line, I was a little thug and then in the next movie you saw me and was loved on cossing in the same nerve with the little twist and trying to figure out trying to get the hot girl like she was hot. Yeah, but that like that girl of who is the girl? It was Jada, wasn't it.
Speaker 2: Come on, man, how do you not remember that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: That was Jada obviously my love interest and loved him because the thing was Christina Millian, So so you know, it was it was a time. It was a time.
Speaker 2: Christina Milian is the softest thing ever. You kidding me? Me and my wife loved Christina Millian. You talk about her, man, She's just you have the courage to share with the world. How do you not know that.
Speaker 1: Your illness lupis you know, and that's you know, normally when people go through stuff, it's it's always a private and you felt, you know, maybe I don't know what you want what you felt, but explain why you felt to share it with the world.
Speaker 3: It was It's an interesting time. It's like twenty twelve. I was married, I just had you know, two kids, and to get hit with something that I didn't understand. You know, you get you start thinking about like is this hereditary?
Speaker 2: Is this?
Speaker 3: Am I going to die now? Later soon? What do I like? How do I got to figure this out? And I was like, man, if anything, if I know I'm struggling with this, there's a lot of people out here who are probably struggling with you know, chronic illness and different situations that don't have the the information that is being given to me or even the process. So I was like, you know, I want to I want to be able to be a conduit for anybody who's dealing with any form of illness, to be able to say you don't have to be ashamed of it. Uh And it was a learning process because you know, I was able to tap into a lot of communities because not because my loop is diagnosis was also you know, affecting my kidneys too, so there's the whole kidney disease community and uh so people just embraced me where it was a little nerve wrecking at first because I was dealing with stuff and you know, you get out there and you loopis is a condition where people you could look like you all right, but you can be going through it like you take hours to get out of the bed type of stuff, or you just you know, inflammation wherever it lands in your body can affect so many different things that you never even were thinking about it. You know, the medicines can make your hair fall out, make me swell up, all of that stuff, and so I got to still be an entertainer. I deal with this, So it was a little easier people kind of a certain times they were understanding, like he not on his a game right now, give him a minute, you know. And that's at least from my my personal condition. I've learned like even when I do have flare ups a little setbacks, it's always a getback. So it just you got to just treat your body, right. You got to listen to your body. And it's actually made me more health conscious and probably more aware of what's going on and focused on health and wellness than I would have ever been before. Because a lot of people go to the gym and work out because they want to look good. I'll do it because I want to stay alive. So it's like I've studied every type of diet and really you got to figure out what works for you in this scenario like that, the balance of what prescribed medicines you know, or holistic approaches. I've done it all. I've set with every type of doctor to kind of get to that space to be the you know, the best vessel I could be.
Speaker 4: I want to Yeah, I want to commend you because my third oldest daughter is dealing with lupa's and it just shuts her down sometimes. So to see you still be able to do everything you're doing, Man, I command you, bro, because I know how tough it could be.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I appreciate And people don't see that, but that's to me. When you have a you know, a condition like that, you what I've learned is like staying active and consistently then that that prevents getting there and that's you know, I was in the hospital in December because I was going so hard, wasn't doing what I was supposed to do. And then once once it hits you, it takes you all the way out. So and that's the thing. You're like, all right, I'm gonna do right next time, Like you literally like, I'm not gonna let that happen again. So I think hopefully, you know, whether they find a cure or even a process, but hopefully, you know, I'll be able to ride it out as long as long as I'm supposed to. My doctor's always telling me, like, if you take care of yourself, you can live a normal life. But you start bullshit and you know it's gonna take you.
Speaker 1: Out for those that. And forgive me because I'm not very educated on the process. Can you tell me, like what a tough day is?
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, man, I mean honestly, it's inflammation. I mean, we've all kind of dealt with that, and and it's you know, at least mine specifically, it is kind of related to like the effects of what probably what arthritis is or you know what I mean, where your joints lock up. Literally you came with your hands hand and then you start to swell up and get this stuff called a dema where it's like it's water. Your body's inflaming all over, so you can't get out of bed, you can't move, and it's just feels like bad cramps, and then it takes a minute. Like to me sometimes it used to be like I just have to However, I can make it to the shower or to the bath and then hot water actually like all right. And then from there it's like making sure I put the right vitamins and vegetables and stuff like that, because getting your system to recognize how to get rid of inflammation. We all got remedies and stuff how to get rid of inflammation. So it's a lot of that type of stuff, and even simple ideas like green or ginger tea like that type of stuff helps. But then and it's usually it's a morning time and a night time thing. Once I'm in the day and I'm moving, I'm active, but it's cool with them. By the time the sun goes down again, that's when it's like cramping up and can't move. And then that puts a toll on your mind, and you know, and I'm pretty sure, like, shoot, if it's inflamed everywhere else, it's probably inflamed too. But I think that's even that, like I found different methods to help deal with like that's why I was even saying the circadian clock thing is something that you know, Dick Gregory even told me about, you know, back then. He's like, Yo, our bodies tell you you're supposed to go to sleep when the sun goes down. That's just human nature. He's like, that was that was a defense mechanism with predators, you know, back in the ancestors days, because and that's when your body needs to recharge. You if you're eating and standing up during the times where your body's supposed to be recuperating, you're gonna throw throw the clock off. And he's like, and then if you get up before the sun or with the sun, now your body gets a true chance to fill all of those enzymes and things and refresh its way properly. So now just even with that shift in practice, I don't have to deal with a lot of those pains and stuff because I go to sleep, you know, when my body tells me to, and then I wake up and I have that times, whether it's from yoga, meditation, and make sure I'm all stretched out not cramped up, and I ain't got to worry about none of the art.
Speaker 2: Right. Thank you for sharing. We both me and Matt both the fathers.
Speaker 4: I think Matt is one of the guys who can be a mascot for being able to juggle a million things and be a father and you also a father and have a man that wear many hats.
Speaker 2: How is it juggling work and fatherhood? Man? I love it.
Speaker 3: Man, that's my first job. Like you talk about, it's just that there's no joy like fatherhood, like when you really tap into it. I mean, we're chasing a bag, chasing everything we could chase out here, But when you really see the effect that you can have over your children from birth to whatever they become, like in all of you man coaching and stuff like that, Like, shoot, my son got a game today that you know what I mean? And like I never it's interesting because I didn't necessarily have that energy from my pops, you know, but he was he was president, you know, taught me about spirituality and religion and all of that. But I never thought I'd be like the coach dad, because sports wasn't my my thing necessarily. But to see, you know, all of the the values and how it's just even just making making my kids like better people, just an understanding discipline and you don't even have to implement it, you know. I mean, like once and you just follow their passion. And it's like, so, man, just that alone, I'll be more interested in that than anything that has to do with work a career because I'm like one, because you know, a psychology degree. I'm like, I'm watching their brains develop on and passion off of what they want and the people that they're becoming, and I'm just trying to support that. So I'm fascinated to understand what like a five year old can digest in terms of an eleven year old, or how they putting this together because they way more brilliant than we ever work. And just like whether it's the access to the technology and stuff, but it's so fascinating man that I learned stuff from my children every day from all the ages. I'm just like, wow, I would you know, because I'm deep into it. Like, you know, one of my kids, he's six years old in the second grade reading that eighth grade level. But it's like we developed and that's credit to his mom. Like but like I and you know, she getting her PhD in psychology right now. So we really study the brain and how the neual transmitters clicking fire off at certain age century ages and developmental processes that when kids start to recognize language, and so it's that type of stuff to where I'm on that so heavy that every day I'm learning something about And then you know, even when you think about like the like Freud's process of how we deal with therapy, they always take us back to our childhood. So as I'm examining my own shit and trying to be a better person through therapy, I'm watching memories that I had when I was five and six that might have shaped who I am now. And I got a five or six year old, Oh, let me make sure I don't do that. Let me or if I did make this mistake, how do I correct it now so he don't make the same mistakes as I did, or she doesn't get put in a position. So it's crazy, man like fatherhood has shown me so much growth and really it's become my life passion.
Speaker 2: What's the thought process behind the names with your kids?
Speaker 3: Because that's part of it. There's so much in the name, and it's so much and speaking things into existing. It's the power of words, and it's it's it's it's funny. That's that's why they call it spelling because it's like we cast spells with our words. You know what I'm saying, And it's I always wanted there to be a meaning. And you know, even like some of that, I come from a culture we have like African names, and we we hear them, but we don't necessarily know what they mean.
Speaker 4: I wish I could have chosen my name. Yeah, it would be it would have been a Muslim name.
Speaker 3: But and but even again, because there's there's culture to it. There there's things that at least you know, it would be like the within, like when you get to it or you know, warrior. And I was like, I might go in that direction, but I want everybody to know what the word. And so instead of you know, naming one of my daughters, you know a word that means beautiful, No, I want to name her beautiful. So when you stepping on, everybody got to call her that. Instead of knowing that my one of my daughters is a powerful queen. I could have did that in Swahili or Spanish or anything. It was like, nah, we're just gonna call her powerful queen. So everybody, can you give.
Speaker 2: Us the list of names?
Speaker 3: And it's feel like everybody be trying to a game show challenge.
Speaker 2: No, I just want I just wanted to.
Speaker 4: I got got, I got seven in the bone.
Speaker 2: I'll be getting stuck some times.
Speaker 1: I say, between y'all two y'all can have like three NBA teams.
Speaker 2: So start ah.
Speaker 3: But my oldest is Moroccan in Monroe rock and Roll as Uh. I can't even take full credit for those names. That's that's Mariah. I gave them the nickname. But Mariah always loved Marilyn Monroe. And then we you know, the Moorish concept with me like that I always had a love for Morocco and that we had a Moroccan room in the house. So that's where I proposed to her. So he was like, yo, So that's where Rock's name came from. So and then I had Golden. Uh, that's the one I was talking about. Was literally a genius.
Speaker 2: It was like the name worked. It worked.
Speaker 3: So there's Golden and Powerful and Rise, and then I have Zion zillion, Beautiful Zeppelin. She would we added beautiful at the end because but she had all z names. And then we had Zen and then we got Legendary, legendary Love. And then I got Onyx and then my youngest is helo.
Speaker 2: That's dope more.
Speaker 3: I don't know, man, I ain't playing on it.
Speaker 2: I'm tapped out.
Speaker 3: But you know, like you never know, man, I believe you know, my twelve is right where it needs to be. That's my jury, that's the constellations, the Disciples, we rocket, it's the Dirty dozen.
Speaker 2: A parent is never supposed to bury their child.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my mom.
Speaker 4: I just buried my little brother and my mom has not been the same person since. And you went through that, You've been through that, losing the child, So can't you talk about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, it's it's nobody should have to experience that. I mean, we all lose people, you know, in the physical, and it actually makes you tap into your spiritual a little bit more and understand that beyond this dimension there's so much more. And you really feel like as if I've lost somebody physically, it as painful as it is, if you have a spiritual connection, you know how to get back to them and be in tune with them. You said, to be absent from the body is to be present with the most high and if we're on that highest frequency, you know how to as there. Yeah, and it sounds a little esoteric and but it's real, you know what I mean. And only people who have lost somebody know what that is. And you're losing a child, man, it's like because you feel the guilt of not being able to get all that you felt like you was gonna get naturally, you take that for granted. You never think your child will. So even you don't have as many memories as you want, you know, or even man, I wonder if he understood or if there was a connection, and then then then it's that space of all right, well, if we tapping into energy, you know what I mean, is that energy living gonna live on? Is it gonna be reciprocated? So those are the things that keep you up at night, you know. But having family and having the people to go through it with you is what keeps you strong man. Yeah, And that's and really keeping you know, keeping the physical memory alive. You never want to run from it. People grieve differently, but you gotta you gotta do it, you know what I mean. You know, you like, you can't heal if you can't feel, so like it's you gotta feel that so you can allow yourself to heal a little bit.
Speaker 4: I just I want to tell Matt this because I ain't never told the story too, and you hear I mind sharing it. It was like three days after my brother's funeral, and I was laying in bed with my wife, and you know, my wife's snore a little bit, right, So I'm I'm I'm up a little bit, but i'm sleep you know what I'm saying, because I'm thinking about my brother's I'm up crying. So as I'm dozing off, she's snoring and I'm getting into a deep sleep and her third snore comes out and it says Jack in my.
Speaker 2: Brother's voice, m through her snore. Wow. And I jumped up. And two seconds later my mama walked in the room and stay, did you hear that? Wow? Bro?
Speaker 4: It's the crazy shit ever, the crazy shit ever. So they win you, Bro, they with you. I'm a living testament of that. That's my first time I ever experienced something like that.
Speaker 3: That's crazy, said, man. These different dimensions and different realms that we we our spirits go to, and it's real m. We can't explain it, but we're not supposed to be able to explain it.
Speaker 1: Jamie Fox a favorite of ours, someone you've known for a.
Speaker 2: Lot of time, so we probably had he came out before the cameras even came on. We was dying laughing.
Speaker 1: Explain what he's meant to you and and any funny stories you could share with us.
Speaker 3: Man, he just I've never witnessed somebody like that. Man, So talented and most talented person I've ever seen in my life, but so kind and real like the life of every room he walks into man and just like energy, always on how to keep good people around. And he a good dude like I've never witnessed it. And again, being a young man to be able to watch cash like him and Will Smith and all these dudes maneuver and create their own dynasties and still just be cool, you know what I mean. And it's crazy when you think of the heights that Jamie is reached. He's the best to ever do it, but the humblest dude in the world.
Speaker 4: Jamie is one of the best people ever. I remember when I was I posted that thing about Josh for a crime. The next morning, I said, I was on my way to Minnesota, I'm talking about. As soon as I landed, Jamie Fox called me, I'm all my way.
Speaker 2: I never met him. I'm on my way to stand right by your side. Bro.
Speaker 4: He came down and still by my side doing the press conference and all that. I can't I can't say how much I love Jamis Foxes.
Speaker 3: You're a real one.
Speaker 1: Is there anyone in kind of your space right now that you feel like could be the next one?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, I mean that's what this Future Superstar Tour is about. Like, really these young kids, man is, I can't even It's.
Speaker 2: A bunch of oh really okay, yeah, it's a.
Speaker 3: Bunch of them, man, even from even the spaces like the kids with on wild'n Out to like even like we talk about d C. You're super talented, got that superstar energy. But it's it's so many young people I couldn't even pinpoint. But that's I mean, come rock with It's on this tour. You're gonna see you know what I mean? From from Symbol on down to this kid, JD. Mcquarie's a singer, actor, dancer, kid. He was the voice of Symbol and uh yeah, I heard, like, Uh that's what, that's what. That's the gift that God has given me man, to be able to be a conduit and a curator for for New Talent.
Speaker 2: So are you guys in La all for this tour? Uh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Shoot, we're in LA this weekend. We uh l a and anahein. That's where we kick it off and we go. Then we got Texas next week, Atlanta, Miami, Chicago, all the way.
Speaker 2: That we say about pull up on you this weekend. And I got nothing to do neither.
Speaker 1: Your career really almost seems like you started when you were a kid. Yeah, but looking back out it now and obviously we know you still have a long way to go. Do you ever just kind of sit back and appreciate what you've accomplished, the doors you've opened for not on yourself but others. Or is it too much of I'm still got more to do.
Speaker 3: I still got more to do, Okay, Yeah, Like I feel like it's just the beginning. I feel like I'm definitely stepping into that space where the main goal is just to help people. It's just to do for others. I've done everything I could ever imagine, man like stuff that I wasn't even part of my dream come true for me. So again goes back to that too much is giving much is required and you know, practicing compassion that's at the highest level, at the highest frequency, Like wherever I can show people that, like yo, we're chilling, We're good. You good. I'm here to do for you, like I'm a servant of.
Speaker 1: The people I was blessed to be able to meet Nip, spend some time with them. You take in that Doctor Sebbi documentary is where where's that out?
Speaker 2: Is the coming?
Speaker 3: We're still a post yeah, man, it's I mean, it's because the pandemic kind of messed a lot of stuff up, you know, because we was, we was ready to rock, and then we actually even had to add a lot of that type of stuff in there. So it's it's now it's just about getting it right and for everybody involved, for Nip's legacy and family, for Doctor Save's legacy and family telling and being authentic and telling the true story and really getting to it. But I know the culture wants it so bad. You know, That's probably one of the main questions that I get asked more than anything. It's like, yo, win the Doctor Saves, Doctor dropping it. We just want to make sure one it's not the right platform because even what I you know, I promise you know, Nipsey's families that we're gonna handle it with prestige. We're gonna make sure that whatever we do, it gotta be you know, award winning and world renown. It can't just be something that you oh yeah, I saw that on YouTube, you know, like it got and even for doctor Sevig's family too, because you know, his holistic teachings have helped so many and really can be eye opening. Whether you practice it or understand it or don't, it's still about you know, uh, a black man who was standing firm against the system and internationally was trying to you know, educate people about the African biron mineral process and that's that's a real thing. And you know, just even when we were talking about the body is a self healing organism and if you can tap into that and understand that, you know, big Farmer don't get a chance to be a process, to be a part of your healing. People wish you the best to look now it's coming though, it's coming.
Speaker 1: Now we got quick hitters man. First thing to come to mind, let us know a favorite country or city.
Speaker 2: In the world to visit.
Speaker 3: Dang Jamaica.
Speaker 2: Oh, I ain't been to Jamaica. Yet get there. What been in a lot of different places.
Speaker 3: Nah, you gotta go, Yeah, you gotta.
Speaker 2: Go to Sandals and Mono Babe Sandos.
Speaker 4: Tell you they got the apartments in the water whatever they call them ships. I don't know what they call them. It's some name what they call their little houses in the waters.
Speaker 2: No, it's not.
Speaker 4: Now, that's not a combanom call them cabanas. Cabanas About the things on the side by the.
Speaker 5: Pool, bungalow, bungalow, bungalow, bungalows in the middle of the water.
Speaker 4: Food and you can look through the things. You can look through the floor, see the fish swimming and all that.
Speaker 2: You tripping. I bet you can get that water. No, I ain't getting no water, you know. Hey, hell now I can't swim, can you? Doggy pedal? Kevin Hart said, that's not how you say it, but that's what you do.
Speaker 4: Uh. Dream Wild In our show head to Head episode with you watching as a fan, who would who would be on the show?
Speaker 2: You too?
Speaker 1: Let's do that, Let's do that, Let's do that. I think that'll be fire. That would be dope. One album you could listen to on repeat, No skips.
Speaker 3: Oh, uh, probably life after death.
Speaker 2: You are sun up sundown type of guy. So what do you do at sun up? And what do you do with sundown?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Son up or I'm up before the sun. But that's meditating until the sun come up. You know what I mean? Watching it? That that taking that time, uh, sondown, putting them kids to bed, get yours be as soon as the sun goes down, bedtime.
Speaker 2: Five dinner guests dead or alive?
Speaker 3: Oh, Tupac, Martin, Luther King, uh mm hmmm, Dang, Dick Gregory, uh, Marvin game Boy, Marty Succession.
Speaker 2: It's a real side.
Speaker 1: Before you asked this last question, I feel like Nicks, the kind of do this is really going to help us.
Speaker 2: Know this is them. I'm so happy to ask him this question because I feel like he's gonna really help us do it.
Speaker 4: It might be beneficent. Yeah, we asked a whole bunch of people this question. They just heard it and walked out. They didn't pay attention to it. Right, A lot of people come on pressure. Yeah, if you could see anyone on the show, who could who would it be? But but you have to help us get your answer on the show.
Speaker 2: You see how we gashed you. You see how we.
Speaker 3: Rage dang trying to think y'all didn't had like.
Speaker 2: You had them all. Yeah, Denzil yet, no no you ain't. Will Smith get it.
Speaker 5: Let's get it, Jes, make that happen case on all you motherfuckers, because he just he wanted he a walking walking wisdom man, like a sorry from all the great performances and acting and who he is as a humanitarian like his he especially because he an O G now too, so he ready to give you the game and like he just got everything he say is quotable.
Speaker 2: That was I said.
Speaker 4: I say he calmed him down to say he was walking around like anim set, just nervous and the like, hey shut up, they got you here for a reason.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. So you can tell he's that O G.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, well we need to get show yo, call whatever we got to do.
Speaker 2: Let's get it. That's some merch. They got this stuff in the Lewis bag recular smoke bag?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 2: You want me to do what I do? Ahead?
Speaker 4: Hey, all people out there in this world, we have a nice little care package for our brother Nick.
Speaker 2: Karenon and we haven't here. Oh there's some new ship. We ain't got this the man skate body wash that's what we got, the buffer and all that and what else they got in there? Uh no, this is my tree.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Got some all the smoke gear, oh bro? And where can they Where could they get the all the smoke gear so they can look expressions?
Speaker 2: They can all the smoke got story. Appreciate you being here, bro, We appreciate it. Can you leave empty handed? We just want to say, man for you.
Speaker 1: I mean when we asked you early on like who you looked up to in the space and kind of modeled like you're that you're that personnel. You know you're you're that person now and and we want to make sure we give you your flowers. Man, because the hat you wear and the grind you put yourself through and and and you're transparent, you're vulnerable. You win, you lose, but you keep fighting, man, And we just want to say, man, we appreciate what you do for the culture.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's that means a lot coming from you all, because you guys are doing everything that you just said, man like, it's it's really you guys. Pillars and examples you know to so many because I mean, you win in in so many different fields and accomplish their dreams at the highest level, and it still can remain humble and relatable, you know what I mean. Like it's y'all are modern day giants in most people's eyes when you see like you know, from being superstar athletes and then even the platforms like this. Man, I don't know if you guys understand the impact that like young black boys see when they see you, you know what I mean, and see what you've done and even continue on careers and continue to elevate.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: So I commend you and salute you in a big way.
Speaker 2: Thank you both, and you know we both you're doing things that we're both trying to do. You know, he want to be behind the camera. I want to be in front. So just make sure we can get in contact with you so we can pick so we can.
Speaker 4: Pick your brain, and you know, because there's a lot of stuff that we don't know about the things that we're getting into. You've been this is your whole life, So we can pick your brain and get some advice ome here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, appreciated whenever appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a rap.
Speaker 1: Man, all the smoke, Nick Cannon, you catch us on Showtime Basketball, YouTube and the iHeart platform Black Effects It. We'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 3: Let's get it.