Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios podcasts, radio news, The.
Speaker 2: Stock Movers podcast, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Lise Matteo alongside Paul Sweeney. United Airline now it it's profit range for the rest of the year, but they do expect travel demand to continue to rise. Now CEO Scott Kirby, he sat down with Bloomberg's Lisa Brahmins and they talked about United's earnings and also their outlook for the rest of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: This year, a lot of uncertainty in the first half of the year at Macro uncertainty and that led to an impact on bookings and demand at United across the whole industry. But it felt like there was a turning point at the end of June where the tax bill passed and the situation in the Middle East was calmer and tariffs, while not certain, yet narrowing the range, and it really felt like people felt enough confidence or enough lower level of uncertainty that they kind of came off the sidelines and were unfrozen.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: That was United CEO Scott Kirby. Let's bring in the expert on all this, George Ferguson. He's Bloomber Intelligence senior Aerospace, defense and airlines analysts. George, thanks for joining us. Scott Kirby, he seemed pretty confident, did he?
Speaker 1: He does, but I guess he always sounds confident, right. I think he's counting on some capacity cuts here in the second half, and he talked about some of the uncertainty going away, So I think it's a it'll get better story. But yeah, too cu for him and for Delta didn't look that great.
Speaker 5: George, where's business travel today?
Speaker 1: I'd like to tell you what the airlines try to hide that, but you know, everything we can parse out of sort of Delta and United earnings makes it sound like it's lagging the leisure rebound and maybe back to twenty nineteen levels, but that would again sort of still be lagging. And so the sense I get is that it hasn't come back as strongly as leisure, and these airlines are more pointing to high end leisure as the driver of their of their profitability.
Speaker 4: George.
Speaker 3: I have to point out Newark Airport because I'm a frequent visitor. There are a lot of issues there right construction Newark Liberty, there were outages, delays. When they asked, you know, Scott Kirby about it, he said he was kind of, you know, optimistic about it, but he also pointed out JFK would love to get in there. Has this been kind of a sticking point for United Newark for.
Speaker 1: Sure, right because Newark they've got a strong concentration of flights out of there. You know, he started the call, and you know, he was sort of alluding what was going on at Newark Airport, and so, you know, I think it's I think we're starting to put behind us the FAA problems, but Newark is always a challenging airport. It has a lot of activity, you know, he said, the FAA and the constituents there have gotten real about the amount of throughput they could put around Newark. That would be good because essentially Newark suffers from a whole lot of throughput that's trying to get through that airport. And then you get in the middle of summer and you just have these weather events thunderstorms, which we've been having i think every day now in New Jersey, which sort of royal the whole deal. So he sounded optimistic that they've got a lot of the fix in place for the airport.
Speaker 5: George Ware, are we on air traffic controllers? I mean, now, hard can this be? To staff this whole system up here? I just don't get it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So, I mean, it just takes a long time to train in air traffic control, longer than I would have expected. I mean, the last numbers I've heard were sort of over over a year. I think, I want to say it was like a year and a half, but I have to go back and check my numbers exactly on that one. You know, during the pandemic, you know, we had people that probably not too jazzed about entering that business because it was one of those where you couldn't work from home. I think that worked from home world is fading a bit now. But back again, during the pandemic, it didn't seem that exciting. And I think it has the problem that every other industry in America, especially the older industries have, and that is there's a bunch of baby boomers inside it. They're approaching retirement and actively retiring at this point, and the backfill. Again, it's not the most exciting industry. I guess to go into the backfill has been harder. Recruitment has been harder, and when you get behind the recruitment and training takes a certain amount of time, it takes a while to fill. And so we're still in that attempt to refill phase again. I think it's getting better as the economy, maybe as some of the labor market is not as white hot as it was coming out of the pandemic. But we're still behind the curve a bit, all right.
Speaker 3: So we heard from United, We've also heard from Delta. You know all the numbers, But for me, what does it mean for airline fares? Am I gonna have to pay more for a ticket coming out? You know?
Speaker 1: I think that there's going to be a stabilization affairs here. But when we look at the second half, we see capacity growth coming down. We still see capacity growth though, and I think we've seen it sort of around GDP, and we kind of think that around GDP levels of capacity growth doesn't firmfares and it doesn't cut fares, and so I think you've seen some cuts recently. I think you'll see this level of fair going through the back half of the year unless airlines cut more capacity, which would help them firmfares a bit more, but again, we see growth that's right around GDP growth, and so it doesn't look to me like a scenario where you're going to see strong growth in fares for the airlines.
Speaker 5: George can't let you go without talking about Boeing because for me, it's just kind of my quintessential great American company, great engineering company, great manufacturing company, Seattle, Washington, won great parts of the of the United States. Where are they with their seven thirty seven deliverables? Because you've told us time and time again over the years that that's really a key metric for this company.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I think one of the great other American companies gave us a little bit of insight this morning, and that was GE. Right, and GE supplies the engines to Boeing, and GE kind of guided down a bit on margins for the back half of the year here, I mean guided down like they're nice. Their commercial businesses are like operating margins in the high twenties, right, which is really super and they guided down to sort of mid twenties. And that's a function of getting new engine deliveries into Boeing engines for the triple seven engines, for seven thirty seven. Boeing has done a better job of delivering. That's all about how they're going to win, and from what I heard from Ge today, that's going to persist through the back half of the of the year, which is I think a strong positive for Boeing. Again, a little bit of an eb for Ge, but a strong positive for Boeing.
Speaker 5: George, thanks so much, appreciate it as always. George Ferguson, Senior Aerospace, Defense and Airlines analysts for Bloomberg Intelligence. All right, lista a big question for you, and this is going to tell me a lot about who you are as a person. Oh, boy Isle or window seat on the plane.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'll me too, Yes, no, because I know. But then if people have to get up and go to the bathroom, back and forth, that's kind of a pain.
Speaker 2: But yeah. The Stock Movers podcast from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.