Speaker 1: Calling all my sweeties to the forefronts.
Speaker 2: I'm your host, Christohn Hazlit and this is to keep it positive Sweetie show. This episode is brought to you by Better Help. Let's be real. Life can get overwhelming between work, relationships, and just trying to keep everything together. Sometimes we forget to take care of ourselves, and let's be honest, finding that therapist can feel like another task on the to do list. I remember when I was looking for a therapist. I needed a great deal of support to research therapists in my area who all right for me. I wish I had this resource back then. That's where better Help comes in. Better Help is an online therapy platform that connects you with a licensed therapist from the comfort of your own home. No waiting rooms, no long drives, just professional support when you need it. With better Help, you can message your therapist anytime in schedule video or phone sessions that fit into your schedule. Plus, Better Help allows you the flexibility to try out multiple therapists until you find the one that's suitable for you free of charge. Taking care of your mental health shouldn't be complicated. Get started today and find the support you deserve. Visit Betterhelp dot com Ford slash Crystal Renee for ten percent off your first month because you deserve to feel your best mind, body, and soul. Welcome to another episode of The Keep It Positive Sweeties Show, the place where we bring real conversation and a whole lot of heart and positivity. I'm your host, Chrystorhinee Hazlet, and today we have my girl, both on and off the camera, joining the show. She's a dynamic actress, entrepreneur, and trailblazer in the plus sized fashion world. Best known for her roles as Angela and Tyler Perry's Atima and Sisters. She has also starred in BT's Curves and Pretty for a Big Girl. After giving what it needed to give her career defining scene in All the Queen's Men further cemented her rising star status. Please welcome my friend, my sister and Zinga Emani Zingz. We got you on the sofa girl. The people have been asking for you.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank y'all.
Speaker 1: Zinga, I heard you guys, so we got her on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you. This is fun. I'm excited me too because they get to see us on TV. But the show hasn't really like really delved into our story yet, and like how how we became friends and our backstor and everything. But I just I love you, and I wanted to bring you on so we can share more of your story, so I can get to know you a little better and the audience can get to know you better.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. It's been so beautiful to watch this what season seven, You've been big one.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: You know, I'm very much am inspired by all that you did, so.
Speaker 2: It's sad to be here saying you are so talented, beautiful as ever. I remember when we were casting for Zatima and you were already on All the Queen's Band.
Speaker 1: We were trying to figure out who Fateama's best friend.
Speaker 2: Was gonna be, and Tyler was like, I have the per person. I was like who, and he goes in Zingamani. And at that point I didn't know who you were personally, and I was like who, Because I was like, let me see her Instagram. I was like, oh, I do know her from Instagram. I was very familiar with you from Instagram, but it had never met you personally. And I was so happy when we got to work together and you were just a delight because you just never know, like you just never know what you're gonna get With actors, you know, you got all different types of personalities and different methods that people use to get into character, and as a cast made those are things you had to adapt to. So I was really happy when you were super cool and easy going.
Speaker 1: Y'all. Our rooms are probably like two or three rooms apart.
Speaker 2: On Actors Row, and I'll yelled down the hall, zizang.
Speaker 1: You want to run it?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And I'm always gonna want to run it, run.
Speaker 2: It, listen, will do nothing else.
Speaker 3: We're gonna get these lines absolutely, and.
Speaker 2: It's so much and it's just been a beautiful journey. So thank you so much for thank you.
Speaker 1: I gotta say.
Speaker 4: But y'all may not notice, but the hurt and devout lead us as a cast.
Speaker 3: It's like no other.
Speaker 4: They take the reins and really make sure that we're already prepared, and it has been like a crash course and just like how to be how to prepare.
Speaker 3: It's amazing. I appreciate y'all a lot.
Speaker 2: Of course, of course, speaking of crash course and this whole new TPS world for you, But you've been You've been acting and doing your thing. How was that adjustment like coming into our world and be like, oh, over here.
Speaker 4: I mean I heard like stories and things of like how quickly we work and things like that, but it's nothing like being on it. But because I had that brief experience on All the Queens Men, I had an idea, but we were in the bubble during the.
Speaker 3: Time we found that, so it was like summer camp.
Speaker 4: There was nothing like being on TPS set. I loved it, Like I couldn't wait to go back. So to get that call and then to have been working for ten plus years in this industry and having the hardest time breaking into TV because I'm a theater music all of that, but having the hardest time breaking into the industry, and then from one scene on All the Queen's Men being you know, being able to audition for a series regular on Zatima was like, oh, wow, you know it.
Speaker 1: Goes from Zatima two Sisters. Yes, how is that? Like it's just like boom boom boom.
Speaker 4: That when it rains, it pours, and it's like I was so grateful for the preparation that I had leading up to that because it happens just like that. You know, you're waiting, waiting, waiting, and you're you're waiting for an opportunity, and then when it happens, all these other doors open.
Speaker 3: So I'm so grateful.
Speaker 2: I want to talk about that, that waiting, waiting, waiting season, because so many times when we do, like when it happens, that's all the people see. They're just like, where does she come from? This happened overnight, and no it did not. So I want let's dive into that because a lot of people. I think people are inspired by the waiting season to know that they're not alone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, for sure. I mean I did everything. I did everything. I just wanted to be in the room.
Speaker 4: And then I've always been an artist, whether that's painting, whether that's singing, whether that's acting. I've always just been in the arts. So I guess it all kind of started. I was in school for theater, that was my major, and part of our extracurriculars were stage makeup.
Speaker 3: I've always been a painter, so I was.
Speaker 4: Naturally really good at stage makeup, but my professors were like, girl, you need to do that. My younger sister is a professional model and she was like them, makeup artist get paid, and as a struggling artist, I needed to find a way to have a flexible schedule and you know, do what I love and be on the sets and everything. So it started there while I was doing makeup.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Actually I did Danielle's headshot for our teama, So they're in full circle. Like, I run into so many people working now where.
Speaker 4: It's like, you did my makeup for ranchise and stuff like that, So it's beautiful to see the relationships and how they grow, how people keep me in mind for different opportunities. But from that to I mean, I was a preschool teacher. I was doing anything from a pre school. Yeah, I love the kids. I love the kid Missy, that's the teacher you want. The parents were fighting to get their kids in my class, like honestly, because I you know, especially three year olds.
Speaker 3: I was a preschool teacher.
Speaker 4: So I mean I had them kids singing songs like we were singing Annie in the in the playgrounds and stuff.
Speaker 3: We had the greatest time. But unfortunately teaching does not pay the bills like it should.
Speaker 4: I mean, I was living with my mom at the time that I was a full time teacher and struggling still, so I knew I had to do something else, not to mention the the parents and even like the grandparents would be like her, what you doing here?
Speaker 3: You be doing something else?
Speaker 4: Were like this, but there's something and I was grateful for that because sometimes we get complacent, especially when we're you know, when we're enjoying something. But I did a little extra work on Black Panther during the time that I was teaching. After I got back, I knew, I like putting my resignation out, like I have to pursue this fully. Don't get me Lye two thousand around twenty fifteen somewhere in that that's crazy.
Speaker 2: That was the year my life shifted beautiful and from costuming to being Tyler's stylist and costume design. That was a shifting year for me, and I think that was I think I turned thirty three that year, so that's my Jesus year. There's a lot of things happening in that year, doesn't say so. Twenty fifteen was the year that you were like, this is what I'm going after. I love that. And then from that moment to twenty twenty.
Speaker 4: Oh, I mean so much. I was doing a lot of indie films. I was trying to get my foot in the door. However, I could you know the parodies.
Speaker 3: If you guys don't know, I did a lot of musical parodies with Queen of the Ratchet. I mean, I was super thankful.
Speaker 4: For that because it was just create, don't wait, you know what I mean? And if I yes, create, don't wait, because if I was waiting for someone else to give me the opportunity and not putting that content out there, then when you when Tyler told you in Zin Gay Mini, you would have been like, who is that?
Speaker 3: And what do I see?
Speaker 4: I had, you know, I was able to build up a a audience and engagement from just putting out my own content to the point where I was recognizable and you know, people if people were like, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know if she can do TV, but it's like, well.
Speaker 2: If she can do this, and she can do it, yeah chance the power of social media, Yeah you can literally like even YouTube, like the world is your oyster. You can do anything if you have a camera and a tripod or a few friends that.
Speaker 3: Work with a phone.
Speaker 4: Honestly, if you have a phone, some time and the confidence to put it up black people see it, You never know what kind of door is at the open.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Was there any point, because you talked about you got all the no's, was there any point in your journey where you may have had like doubt or like did I really choose the right thing, or where you had any like self image issues where you were like dam because I know for me, this industry is so vain and there's times where I like, I just don't there's times I didn't feel my best self. Did you ever have moments like that?
Speaker 3: In ways?
Speaker 4: Especially being plus, I feel like you're oftentimes pigeon held Like you know, there's so many situations where people are just like, I don't know if she'll fit for the lead, or I don't know if if she would be a like a love interest that people will would believe. But it's like why not?
Speaker 2: Why would you know?
Speaker 4: Like people love me in real life, so why couldn't they love me online or in the movie. So yeah, I definitely felt held back, felt like there were a lot of perceived notions about what kind of parts I could play and things like that. But doing the Queen of the Ratchet and developing my plus size modeling career and all of those things that I did outside, definitely, I think opened up people's minds absolutely, not to mention that seen in All the Queens Man, which opened up.
Speaker 2: Talks Man, which opened up a lot of very ideas too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, what did you say about this?
Speaker 3: You know, I avoided my mom for like a week.
Speaker 4: I just I didn't answer, I didn't pick up calls, and I tried to warn her because she got she got real happy, started telling people I was gonna be on TV, and I said.
Speaker 3: Wait a minute, yeah, my grandma saw that.
Speaker 4: I didn't nobody tell you to tell grandma, But what happened happened, and honestly, surprisingly her reaction was a lot more supportive than I thought it would be.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing? The same way when it comes to my roles and the things that the team of season one, it was at the shower, No, that was like across the bed head hanging out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh that, yes, yeah, I remember that.
Speaker 2: I couldn't even look at that. Yeah. Like cut it went from like it was such a quick cut, it was like fame. I was like, yeah, I was like, I said, Dad, I said, just don't watch the first like five minutes of the.
Speaker 3: Show, but they got to watch.
Speaker 1: No, I don't want to ask you, well.
Speaker 3: My sister still won't watch, so I get it. I get it. She's like, I can't even see you like that. I turn it off.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I mean she was kind of just like, well, it was shocked very well. Yes, she didn't want to get me too many about it. I mean, especially because it wasn't a romantic scene, but it felt romantic. So I was super grateful to that because, I mean, the the situation is not romantic, that they're not a couple, you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Even just to shoot the situation like in real life, like as you're filming it in a room around strangers.
Speaker 1: It's not romantic.
Speaker 4: It's had all the extras by the pool right.
Speaker 3: Right, And it was freezing. What y'all don't know.
Speaker 4: That was shot in December and we were outside of Tandy's house in the little gondola or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: It was freezing.
Speaker 2: Even when we film season one of his team, it was like December.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I think I got sick right after that, although.
Speaker 4: I prefer that was when you hit cam in their foot like.
Speaker 1: He was in the human jeds were in the jacuzzie freezing.
Speaker 2: I had to keep running out from upstairs down the deck barefoot in that wet, rainy, cold brass. Two days later, I was like.
Speaker 4: But I gotta say, I prefer that over when we have to shoot in the heat, because we done melt it on camera before.
Speaker 2: I'd be like, y'all have me some extra drawers, some extra spanks everything that.
Speaker 3: What the hair is gone? It's really like, what are we doing?
Speaker 2: It's just like hot, and then you got to turn the air condition off because of the sound and like turning thing out, so we're just in there baking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I prefer to cold. What we deal with, we deal with so much.
Speaker 1: We make it look good, Yeah, we do.
Speaker 4: We stay in it even when we're melting and the makeup is dripping down our mouth.
Speaker 3: Because that was in the parking lot that y'all see that seat in the parking lot.
Speaker 4: Yes, my hair went from I said, okays, be shooting for winter in the middle of summer.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Then you got on all the clothes plus side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those garage scenes during the summertime, it's just smoldering hot. I just and I get hot fast, so I'll.
Speaker 3: Be like under all that hair.
Speaker 2: Too much. Looking back, we're on season three, Season three, just wrapped as a team. Looking back, what was one of your favorite moments filming?
Speaker 4: Ooh hmm, I wish that I had, like, oh, oh, well, that's not season three.
Speaker 3: Let me let me.
Speaker 2: Care myself.
Speaker 3: Is that right? No, that hasn't aired yet.
Speaker 4: I will probably still say the season one when we're when the whole thing happens, we're Zach and Danielle's character me, and we were all kind of there together and.
Speaker 1: We aller yes, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 3: That was intent and it was fun.
Speaker 4: And I feel like that was the first time we were all because everything happened so fast.
Speaker 3: It was the first time we really were all.
Speaker 4: In the scene together acting And so that just stays in my in the front of my mind.
Speaker 3: What about you?
Speaker 2: Somebody just asking this? And for me, it is every day that we go to work, like, I love our cast. Everybody is just so amazing to work with. Everybody's so grateful to be there. We all come, we work our butts off, and we work so hard and we create beautiful magic together. And I think everybody doesn't get that opportunity to say that, like I love everybody I work with, you know, because not all environments are as peaceful as ours. Like we come in there and we're like, all right, it's been we two days in, we probably got hit by a bus. We respect each other's face and time, and we're like, what do you need?
Speaker 3: You good?
Speaker 1: Do you feel like running lines?
Speaker 2: Are you? You know? You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We just we just get it.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: And after set going and running lines together after sixteen hour days, Shoot, people don't on don't see it.
Speaker 2: They don't see that even ripped the wig and we're not just big meals and were like, let's run these lines before we go home during lunch. We got a little time off, okay, like let's run it real quick. It's so much that goes into everything that we do. If you could give anybody.
Speaker 1: Advice on So there's a young girl.
Speaker 2: Wanting to do what we do, and she's not quite sure of herself, or she's struggling. Maybe she's from a small town like I was, or she's from a place where her parents don't really accept it. Like you don't need to go to get an education, go get you a good job. But she's a dreamer. What would you tell her?
Speaker 4: Girl do it anyway. You're not living for them, You're living for you. And if you want anyone else to believe it, you have to believe it first.
Speaker 3: I'm like, yeah, ooh, I can't tell you.
Speaker 4: Even though my mom supported me doing plays and doing all these things, I think in the back of her mind, especially because I was super good in school, like I was in.
Speaker 3: All the higher education classes everything like that.
Speaker 4: You know, really she expected me to be working for NASA or something like that. So for me to take this other, this other path, wasn't shocking some all cause you know, she's Caribbean background. You know, we believe in that stability, that whole art thing. She was like, that's good to keep you well rounded, but you need something serious. So my mom actually found out that I changed my major at a play. I remember she came up to me. I did the big finale number. Everybody's coming up to me congratulating me. She's walking up to me with the brochure, like.
Speaker 3: What is this.
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: What do you mean, ma'am? She' like a major in fine arson theater. Girl be for real.
Speaker 4: So so I didn't have support and when it came to pursuing it fully.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, she was the one who had me.
Speaker 4: In those plays, who had me in the choir, who made sure that I touched into my art side.
Speaker 3: So I really feel like, you know, she was giving me, but she.
Speaker 4: Was still scared. And I'm glad that I didn't have that fear. And that's why I feel like that's the most important thing. You have to believe at first. You have to give it your all because it won't happen if you're halfway doing it. You have to believe in and you have to pursue it. You have to take the sacrifice. Because there was time when I dropped that school and was pursuing acting and doing theater and makeup and everything where.
Speaker 3: I was struggling real bad.
Speaker 2: Let's star struggle real bad.
Speaker 4: But I mean ubering, sleeping in my car, just uber like a drug bird. Yes, until I was about to fall asleep, I was terrified. And don't recommend, because there were a few times that something could have definitely happened. There were a few times that I had to speed off in situations Oh my goodness, I do not recommend. However, at the time it was necessary, and like literally i'd been driving home too sleepy to make it. I'll pull up into a Walmart or a McDonald's, something that's open twenty four hours and try to nap. But that was the grind I mean, And you know, in retrospect, I thank the Lord every day because things could have ended much differently. But it was necessary for me to maintain while I pursued what I was pursuing. So still grateful.
Speaker 3: You know. It definitely keeps me humble, It keeps me yeah, because I'm.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, you know, at any moment, if anything didn't pan out, if any opportunity didn't present, I might not be where I am today. Yeah, would then I might not feel the same way about that struggle. But m gratefully, I can feel great about the struggle because it led to where I am now.
Speaker 2: In the souse. I love it. I love that for me. I went through a similar phase of my life where I was like really struggling trying to figure it out. I just moved to Atlanta and it was like, alright, I gotta figure it out.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I was working j a job, my the job, first job I had I was literally making like I think it was like three hundred dollars a week. Mm, so it was like t twelve hundred dollars a month before taxes, Like it was not a lot of money. Yeah. So like talking about like scrounging for change in the cup holds, you went.
Speaker 1: Back to the day all the change went into the cup holder. I don't really see change much nowadays.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you know what I'm saying, really, cause people don't really carry cars, like everything on our phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like so like it I had, it was changed it way. So I was really trying to count the quarters and like, can I get.
Speaker 1: A a double cheeseburger?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, fries?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying the dollar meaning you're just trying to make a meal.
Speaker 1: Literally out of two cents.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And I remember those moments, and I think that's something that always teaches me grounded now that I have made it, but I'm grateful for those moments where you have to struggle and grind because I feel like if you don't go through that, you're not gonna appreciate it. When yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not gonna appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Even speaking of like that that long time struggle, if I had gotten the opportunities.
Speaker 3: Any earlier, I might not have known how to manage it.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely.
Speaker 4: I think about the relationships I was in the mind for financing and the things that I would have been splurging money on then versus you know, even just a year later, and I'm so grateful that happened when it did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, who knows what.
Speaker 4: Could have happened or who I would have not been able to see for who they are because I have this new level of success.
Speaker 3: And there, you know.
Speaker 4: So it's a lot of things that saved me having that long ten year wait.
Speaker 2: Come on, God know, like he it's all in his perfect timing. That's what I always say, because if things had happened before they're supposed to, we would have blew it. Yeah, we really would have. Us You are one of the most stunning. Your whole family is just stunning. First of all, you please go to her Instagram, her whole family, like all of them.
Speaker 1: I know your mom just sit back and be like I did this.
Speaker 2: She will.
Speaker 1: But you guys are also beautiful.
Speaker 2: But you're like you're beautiful, You're confident when it comes to love life. Let's talk about it, Okay, girl, have you always been confident and known your worth because you walk in like with so much confidence and self worth or is that something that you struggled at points or have you always been like, I know I'm dead girl.
Speaker 4: It's hard to say because I feel like it's both, like I've never doubted that I'm that girl, but things things show up, you know, Like you know, my father wasn't around when we were growing up, and so you know, there's abandonment issues on that side.
Speaker 3: There's trust issues when it comes to men.
Speaker 4: You know, my mom didn't really date when we were growing up for different reasons, but mainly because she had three young girls and she wanted to keep us safe and protected. So you know, there's reactions that I have to that as well, where you know, I may not want to be alone, so I may stick it out with somebody longer than I should, even when I see the signs and things like that. So it's definitely up and down. I think, just in dating and living and growing, you learn things.
Speaker 3: I mean, when I.
Speaker 4: Got Zatima, I was in a relationship with someone who I had, you know, sacrificed so much for and really felt like they were gonna be rooted for me and that showed me that they were not and that they were a bit jealous of me and that you know, and it manifested in different ways and it let me know I had to get about it. I remember after we finished wrapping the dinner that you and Developed hosted. I came to that late and I was flustered because we had just got into it and I felt like I wasn't in my best moment, but I was pushing through.
Speaker 3: There were so many things, but so many.
Speaker 4: Great moments of my life were being kind of like watered down because this person and their energy or how they felt or their insecurities were attacking me. But I also was like, well, this person has been with me.
Speaker 3: I should stick it out. Don't girl save yourself?
Speaker 4: You know, if I could go back and talk to her, be like, girl, save yourself. Because because there was a lot of you know, just self reflection that had to happen after especially just being alone stepping out of it where it's like, man, how long did that person hate Mercky?
Speaker 2: Right, because you started to look back and you're like, wait, a man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, man, that thing that they said two years prior that didn't really register.
Speaker 3: But then when you look at.
Speaker 4: The whole thing, it's like, oh wow, Nah, it's been a while of just not realizing it. And in the moment, I didn't think of it as like a lacking or you know, what was going on with me why I would choose someone like this, But then when you look back at it again, it's like, well, what did you let slide? What things did you let you know happen that you didn't address or that you didn't stand Firman that allowed that to happen.
Speaker 3: So I'm still figuring it out, you know, I feel.
Speaker 4: Like it's ever growing, you know, not to mention those family wounds, you know, even I love my mother dearly, but there was a lot of trauma that happened within our relationship as well that made me very real.
Speaker 3: And I'm a middle child, so if y'all know about oh.
Speaker 4: So, if you know anything about the middle children, I feel like I was so independent that I was left alone a lot. I was just kind of like, it was like Finn for yourself And then I'm like, but you know, but that's not how you treat this child to that child, So it makes you question yourself in that regard too. So it was a lot of self discovery that it is still happening. You know, I'm still figuring out why I do things, why I say things.
Speaker 3: I could be very snappy, especially in romantic relationships there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know I learned and that recently and I'm grateful for it. Although it was just kind of like, oh, okay, maybe maybe the when I say something and I mean it as a joke, not everyone.
Speaker 3: Perceives it that way, so be more careful, you know.
Speaker 4: So learning myself in these different seasons has been big, but I'm grateful for it for sure.
Speaker 2: At what moment did you realize wait a minute, like, I'm I had these issues from my childhood that are pouring into my adulthood. And was there a moone where You're like, I need therapy. Are you in the therapy or has it just been more of like a I got this on my own type of thing and just constantly evolving.
Speaker 3: In full transparency.
Speaker 4: Oh, I wasn't even planning on going on here, but it reminded me of the first time that I really thought about therapy. I was auditioning for a dating show of some sort, and when we during the process, I was getting through like easy. They were loving me. Then we had to do a kind of sit down with a therapist before we moved onto the next round, and.
Speaker 3: I unloaded on her.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Yes, And also the fact that they did not call me back today's show after It's like, yeah, they were like, because this could be a liability. This was years ago, but I think that was the first time that I was like, this is something that I need to look into and also just realize, like there are things that I need to reflect in to my reflect on within myself, you know, transparency.
Speaker 3: I have not done therapy, but I would like to. I think it's just kind.
Speaker 4: Of like figuring out who to trust, who to talk to, how to approach that, which is not an excuse because I feel like I've figured out so much improvement on myself in other ways where I'm just putting that to the back burner and back burner. Not to mention, my family is not super supportive with that, like speaking of my.
Speaker 3: Mom, like, you're not crazy, What do you mean you need to go to therapy? That's what she thinks.
Speaker 4: And it's like I know that that's not a legitimate, but I do think that those things are still in the back of my head.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I need to work on that and I want to look into that.
Speaker 2: I got you. No, seriously, remember my first litter show, I brought my therapist out. Absolutely love her, but it wasn't until like you said, find the right person, finding somebody you can trust. For me, it was the first one I did therapy, I wasn't honest with the person because I didn't really trust them. So I'm like, this ain't working. Yeah, Like I literally was like, this isn't working.
Speaker 1: And then I.
Speaker 2: Got Delana, and I was like, just be honest if you want this where you have to just tell her everything and trust that and pray that she's not gonna tell anybody. Yeah, your business. But finding I feel like it's like dating. You know. I'm saying, you gotta f like talk to and feel the bus if you if you're ready to open up to 'em. But it's not like you hire one person and you gotta stick with them. Yeah you know. So I would just like take your time and just feel people out and see who you like and who you mess with, cause it can like this is the person you really had to confide in everything with if you really wanna get the help you want. And for me, it's like that's of realization because we're thinking we're working on ourselves until you really start to unload, like you said, and you're like, oh, I got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah. It's like, oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I told her about some situations that you know, I wasn't proud of, but I also felt like I was justified.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ran into that night ten times.
Speaker 4: No, it wasn't it wasn't that extreme, but it was kind of like, you know, I was battling within myself, and relationships will bring that out of you, especially when people are not genuine on their side or they're doing their.
Speaker 3: Own thing and then they want you to be uh huh.
Speaker 5: Anyway, So, since you've gained success in acting, I know that something that can be challenging for us women is dating and find the man that is confident and what you do and knowing that you may have sex scenes or love scenes with another person and that you have to kiss them.
Speaker 2: Have you had issues since you started acting where I was like with that and.
Speaker 4: You're absolutely, yeah, and it's it's difficult, but it also like, this is what I do, and.
Speaker 3: That's a hard.
Speaker 4: Conversation to have, especially when you like if we're already in a relationship, We're already talking, We're serious. It's like, how are you all of a sudden upset with this? Like you didn't already see all the Queen's Men?
Speaker 3: You know that actually really happened. Yeah, me and my guy I have.
Speaker 4: Been together for a while, like over a year, and then his mom kind of brought him, brought the episode to him, and I think that's why it shifted, because he probably.
Speaker 1: Didn't really care, but when the mom said, I.
Speaker 4: Don't think he cared, especially because we've there have been different times when we're at comedy shows and I don't know why, but every comedian has seen that scene because they always stopped the show'd like I know you, and then they typically harp on it for quite some time. Yeah, And you know, I can laugh it off because I'm in this industry and I'm used to it and I'm like, okay, listen, But with him sitting there next to me, it's kind of like you're still talking about sex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and what is he supposed to do? Because it's like, I'm I'm an actress.
Speaker 4: It supports that he's always been super supportive of that, but at the same time, It's like, how am I supposed to feel sitting here? And I'm like, well, what am I supposed to do sitting here? I don't know who either, so that can be difficult. But yeah, when his mom brought it to him, I think it just hit him that, like, anyone has access to this. My mom has seen it. That means my cousins have seen it. That can mean anyone can see it. And I can understand how that can hit him. But it's also like, this is what I do, so let me know now what it's gonna be. We don't put this much time into it. Let me know if we should put it anymore, because those opportunities are going to continue to happen.
Speaker 3: And I don't intend on saying no.
Speaker 4: If it's relevant to the scene, I might not go as graphic as that was. But I once again, I was also my first time being on TV, so I was I.
Speaker 3: I was open. I was like, do.
Speaker 2: You feel like you're as open now or do you cause me, I have like very firm boundaries on what I'll show, what I'll do. Are you still like something? Acts are like no this, I'm not gonna say no to anything.
Speaker 1: I'm good.
Speaker 4: Oh well, I'll say no to things, would you say, I mean if that same situation presented. I don't know if I would necessarily do it now, but I w I mean, but still close to it, especially if it's relevant to a love scene or a love interest or something like that.
Speaker 3: But that I mean, we were just one often tag team in over there, so that it was different. But once again, it was shot beautifully, so I'm not mad at it, but.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I just feel like it all it's it's situational, but I do still want to be respectful. I know at that time I hadn't done anything, so I was kind of open not to mention.
Speaker 3: It was in the midst of the pandemic, and it was.
Speaker 4: The biggest I had ever been, like, size wise, I was the biggest I've ever been.
Speaker 3: Yeah, nothing, but it was so liberating for it.
Speaker 4: To be like here I am in my full splendor, like because this is what it is.
Speaker 3: There's no like we have sex. We you know, plus size people are intimate and things like that.
Speaker 4: So to be able to show that and see that and feel confident with the end result was a big thing.
Speaker 3: So I'm happy, very.
Speaker 4: Happy with that scene. But moving forward, I do want to draw boundaries.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 4: I am mindful that I want to have children, you know, I want to be married, and I don't want anyone to be able to hop on Twitter.
Speaker 3: And find the right.
Speaker 4: So I'm still figuring it out, especially as opportunity like seems worth it or like it's relevant to the story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Feel yeah, I understand it, cause that's that's something I act. Actually had an audition for.
Speaker 1: It was a R It was R really bad.
Speaker 2: It was a rape scene, m but it was a true story. So in my mind as an artist, I'm like, okay, like the sh they weren't shooting the actual rape. It was more so the aftermath of it, but like everybody knew what had happened. And I was like second up for that part and didn't end up getting a role. But when I auditioned for it, I had to call my dad and I was like, listen. I was like, how do you feel about this? You know, cause I was thinking about my parents and like what they have to go through if you even say if I play certain roles or do certain things. And he was like, you're acting. He was like, that was a true story.
Speaker 1: It happens.
Speaker 2: And you're shedding light on something happened. So it changed my perspective on certain things. But then also when it came to like me setting my own personal boundary because they can if I have children one day, yeah, what are they gonna see?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: And this Internet is like it's forever, like once it's out there and it just like goes from one place to the next and like before you know it, like it's everywhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and out of context, it can be very scary, ma'am.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very very scary. Yeah, yeah, you know. We this is a a safe space. And we also loved Jesus over here at the Hugh of Hot City show. Has it ever moments where your faith has been stretched or moments where you really had to lean on your faith through this whole journey of life?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Well.
Speaker 4: Growing up, I was heavy in church. I'm talking like praise team leader, all types.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 4: I was in church five out of the seven days a week, like, and I'm super happy to be there.
Speaker 3: The thing that kind of shook me was like.
Speaker 4: I was preparing to go to London for study abroad and I was working my butt off to raise the money for that, and it was about a few days past the am not past, but uh until the final the payment was due. Yeah, I was only like two hundred dollars away from my goal. And I was at church and the pastor did a whole sermon about you know, you ask not cause y y, you have not cause you ask not, and you know, leaning on one another and.
Speaker 3: All of these things.
Speaker 4: And I have been going to that church since I was I was baptized there, I was been there forever. And yeah, and you know whole family, my sister's in dance. Well, you know, everybody's really deep into the church. So I'm like, okay, this is my sign. So after I to have a meeting with the pastor and we go into the room and I I kind of tell her what's going on, and she's like, I'm going on vacation.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what to tell.
Speaker 1: You after she just preached it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I felt like someone shot me in the heart.
Speaker 4: I remember sitting in the in the parking lot, uh, in the car, crying like I could not breathe. I was hyperventilating, not only because I had worked so hard to raise all of this money, but because I wa It was like I the veil was pulled back.
Speaker 3: From who she was. This is someone I admired my entire life, and then this.
Speaker 4: Is how you act, this is how you like. Even if you couldn't do it, that's fine. But the way that she said it was just like who are you? And it made me question everything and made me step away from that church. And it took a while to start going back to church again. And then when I did it, I was dating one of the pastes at the church and he bring yes, honey, they was they were calling me first ladies from that.
Speaker 2: First lady, first lad I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: He was a prechurch to the church, not the pastor. I shouldn't specify that. I learned after.
Speaker 4: A few years into this, not a few years, a few months in this relationship, that he was having relations with people all up and through this church. Yeah, past, present and future. Yeah, because so that was another hit that just was like you are not who you say.
Speaker 3: And not only that, but he prayed on me.
Speaker 4: Because he he he sought me after it a low time. The way he used the word and everything to manipulate me into that relationship, it was a it was very calculated, of course in retrospect, right, Yeah, So that was another time where but I had to just be like, once again, somebody who acts so holy is the opposite, and it's like the worst kind of person that you can be.
Speaker 3: And that really hit me as well.
Speaker 4: And I think to this day, I'm still struggling when it comes to church and the people to trust in church, because I mean.
Speaker 3: I still love the Lord.
Speaker 4: But even now, I was on a I don't want to say a tour, but I was trying out different churches.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that went to change and I loved it there. It was just a long drive, but said you come.
Speaker 2: Here, Yeah, for sure, trick.
Speaker 4: But even that became awkward because you know, our our fan base is is church goers. So going to church and knowing that in the midst of my praise and worship that this person might be filming me or you know, I went to a funeral and someone was asking to take pictures with me.
Speaker 3: And things like that, and it's like, it's yes, I want to be able to be vulnerable. I want to be able to drop.
Speaker 4: Someone knees and cry when I feel like it, But to know that someone is constantly watching you, it's like, how can you enjoy that experience?
Speaker 2: So that happened to me too, and like I actually had to talk about it because people were coming up to me after church like wanting to hug and like talk and ask for pictures, and I just feel like it's a time and a place for everything. And then finding out that people were driving hours to come to church on Sunday and hopes to meet me. You need to be going to meet Jesus. Yeah, not Chrystal Renee Hazlet. And I had to like publicly spe publicly speak about that because it is disturbing when you're in f I literally was in full lunteers one Sunday, church had like let out, but we were still doing praise and worship and the spirit was just moving and I was just crying and praising God, and somebody literally came and tapped me on the shoulder.
Speaker 1: In the midst of it, and I was like.
Speaker 3: What, Yeah, like what.
Speaker 2: In what world? You know? And then not too long ago, praise and worship and like a guy turns around and it was like you know how they turned it, and then they were like shoot, and then before you know it, they're like holding their funnel like we're at a concert, and I'm like I literally just turned it, like turn my back, so like you can't feel me. I'm like like read the room back, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Like, but people feel like you don't have those boundaries when you're known, and that's that's something that really disturbs me because I hear how people talk about.
Speaker 3: Oh, what they would rude when I met them? Well, w how did you meet them? What were they doing?
Speaker 4: Because they don't owe you their time like that, Like, you know, I appreciate the support, but there's a time and a place, and there's certain times that absolutely no. I was at a close friend's funeral and you want to take pictures? Why Yeah, why why is that even where your mind is at when you're at the same funeral.
Speaker 2: We should be thinking about this person we just lost.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so a lot of different but that but once again, that's church, that's not just one part of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I definitely feel like that was a major part for me though, especially the wave that I was raised. It's the part that I miss dearly and I hope to get back to. But but you know, I stand from my faith still. I still you know, pray as much as I can. I've talked about this before, Like, praying in water is like my favorite thing, and I think that's also because I know that it's just me, especially if I'm at a beach or some kind.
Speaker 3: Of big body of water where I can just go in.
Speaker 4: And I don't hear anything else but the waves, and I feel like God.
Speaker 3: Is speaking to me directly at the moment.
Speaker 2: The girl, That's one of my favorite places to be around water because when you look, especially huge bodies of water, it just shows you like the awe of God, like wow, he created this, you know you really you just see like the endless almost like it's symbolic to his endless love because it's like water just you can't like you don't even see the end of It's like he just keeps going.
Speaker 3: You see how small you are?
Speaker 2: Yes, Yes, that is so true. Let's talk about sisterhood. Yes, because we're both on Tatima and sisters. Sisterhood is so important to me, our two characters. We I am like always like what you mean, Angel, because you always you check me, You check me when I'm wrong.
Speaker 1: You try to hold me accountable.
Speaker 3: Y'all heard that right.
Speaker 2: You try to hold me accountable. And a lot of times we don't want to hear that as friends. But I appreciate the way Tyler writes our characters because Fatima does that because she's using the one always trying to like help people, but you're the one that's always helping Fatima.
Speaker 3: And then we do a good back and forth because you tell me about myself too.
Speaker 2: Yes, whether right right, But that's what friends are for in your real life because you have sisters, amazing sisters. How is y'all's relationship And did that actually help when it came to being on the show Sisters?
Speaker 4: Oh absolutely, I mean my sisters are the closest thing to me in general. We were raised super close. You know, it was us against the world, except we fought. We fought a lot, but that's a.
Speaker 3: Part of the sisterhood. We we you know, we had very humble beginnings. So like we shared a.
Speaker 4: Room growing up, the three of us, what you know, from four years older to two years younger. We were all like really close quarters. So it forced us to be close and ride for each other. Like I remember one time a boy hit me and my little sister came out of nowhere would a.
Speaker 3: Metal back just swinging.
Speaker 4: Mind you, her little self she's two years younger than me, but in you know, in those years, that's a huge difference.
Speaker 3: But we've always just had each other's back, and.
Speaker 4: I feel like that's only grown as we've gotten older.
Speaker 3: My older sister has the cutest son. Now my nephew, who is like, that's my baby with my younger.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I mean that experience too, is just those are my people.
Speaker 3: Those are my best friends in the world.
Speaker 4: They're the only people in the world that I feel like I can tell anything to without feeling judged. No, I have my my friends and everything, but my sister is nothing. It's like that nothing nobody.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love that I have two sisters, but all my siblings we have different moms. But and my me and my sisters weren't raised together. But our relationship is so beautiful and it's always fun to see how like, no matter what the dynamic is, that's a bond you can never break. So yeah, I love my sisters, and I love how Tyler wrote the show for us to just exemplify what sisterhood is.
Speaker 3: Yes, because you need your corner, We do, you really do?
Speaker 2: Before we get out of here, I want to play a game with you. Oh, I love playing games trying to hit me colt up.
Speaker 3: Then you get.
Speaker 2: It's easy.
Speaker 1: It's just called this or that.
Speaker 2: All right, I knew it is lie.
Speaker 1: Yes, all right.
Speaker 2: Let's see. And this is you know, a little this is a little cast made edition. Okay, alright. So do you like movies or TV shows?
Speaker 3: TV shows scripted or reality? Oh, scripted?
Speaker 2: The hero or the villain, the via? Do you like improv or strictly following the script?
Speaker 3: I love improv. That's when we get the best stuff.
Speaker 2: We do a lot of that.
Speaker 1: On you like night shoots or early morning call times?
Speaker 4: Ooh, it all depends on what the day has been and the night before. Yeah, I'm a morning person, so I don't mind mornings.
Speaker 2: You are a morning person.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I have a problem with them late nights, especially if we've had a long day.
Speaker 3: It can get real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm with you on that, and I'm with you on that. On set, pranks or keeping it professional, do not do the party, don't prank me on r exactly, method acting or just turn it on and off.
Speaker 3: Oh, it all depends on the part.
Speaker 4: Say yeah, I feel like I'm very like my character Angela in a lot of ways. So it's a little bit of method, but not all the way. So it's a little turn it's a little off and on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm sorry, y'all.
Speaker 3: I guess it's both.
Speaker 2: I think for me like method and when I have like emotional scenes, it's hard for me to just turn it on and off. But when it comes to other emotional character traits, I can turn those on off with that like crying, yeah, stuff, I kind of have to wake up down, like to really be ready to all right and action, like I can't wake up halfy and then like, okay, it's a crime scene.
Speaker 1: Just start crying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that, because I'd be like, okay, give me a second, give me a second. But it's hard and so much it's going on, people talking and laughing.
Speaker 2: It's like oh yeah, and then everybody's like so I'm like, you know, I need everybody to like, don't talk to you, Yeah, don't not right now, please stop talking, Like I've gotta I gotta get there.
Speaker 1: We don't have a lot of time. Time is money, all.
Speaker 2: Right, let's see are we just weas we just talking about this?
Speaker 1: But a crying scene or a fight scene, once.
Speaker 4: Again, it depends on the context. But I will say I would love to do some fight scenes. I want to do some action.
Speaker 2: I love to fight scenes because I don't be fighting in real life.
Speaker 3: That's where you get it out.
Speaker 2: Fight. Yes, I love it.
Speaker 3: I can ready to jump off something, land somewhere.
Speaker 1: Exactly live audience or no audience.
Speaker 2: Live.
Speaker 3: Oh, there's nothing like the theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I livet I love it. Costume, heavy roll or a casual wardrobe.
Speaker 3: Oh, please don't make me have to wear too many things?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to be comfortable.
Speaker 4: It's hard to lock in when you're thinking about too much other stuff.
Speaker 2: No, for sure. Ooh this is another good one. Makeup chair for hours are quick and easy bybee.
Speaker 3: If I can do my makeup in twenty minutes, I don't want to be in this chair for two hours.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna ask you that too, because you do your own makeup.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had a makeup artist and.
Speaker 2: You got it here?
Speaker 1: You was like, I do not like the way this looks.
Speaker 4: Friend, I am so quick to go to my dressing room, wipe off my makeup and start over.
Speaker 3: I'm so mad.
Speaker 2: I literally carry my whole makeup bag every day. But I don't know, like in my makeup manny, he's amazing. Yes, So like I don't really have to touch anything.
Speaker 1: But like I've had RS four.
Speaker 2: Where I'm just like, no, like I need to get this nose right. I need there's certain things I just need to pop.
Speaker 3: I won't even do that. I'm like, oh, thank you, and I will go to yeah'n.
Speaker 2: The room and fix it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because if you didn't do it right the first time, then telling you and instruct you is not gonna get us there when I could.
Speaker 3: Just finish it in twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Hello, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, be prepared, access, be prepared, bring your stuff, be ready.
Speaker 2: Be prepared.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: Last question, binge watch your own show or never watch it?
Speaker 3: Ooh.
Speaker 4: I hate to say this, but it's so hard for me to watch myself back.
Speaker 1: So many people say that.
Speaker 3: So hard I.
Speaker 4: Do because I feel like you have to learn, you have to grow yet to see the way things are being done. But I can only do it once.
Speaker 3: I cannot watch it over and over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me just like watching take like an athlete, Like I watch it so I can get back to get better and to study myself. I'm like, Okay, I could have done better here, I could have taken a longer be there, or I should have like did a different octave in my voice because sometimes I can talk very monotone. So I'm working on inflections and different things like that. But yeah, when I watch them, I can't. I can only watch it once.
Speaker 1: I can't go back. Yeah, I agree, and this has been fun.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so.
Speaker 3: Much, Thank you. I appreciate jas once.
Speaker 1: No, but they're gonna love this.
Speaker 2: They've been asking for you, and I thank you so much for taking time to come sit down anytime.
Speaker 3: Girl. You let me know, and if y'all want to keep asking, I'll keep coming.
Speaker 2: I guess you heard it here.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Love when I say, I absolutely enjoyed my conversation within Zinga. If I had to take one thing away, it was second chances. After being raising a church and experiencing church hurt, she did not let that keep her away from cultivating her own relationship with God. Thank you so much for tuning into this episode of The Keep It Positive Sweetie Show. Today's episode doubled down on how confidence, perseverance, and consistency can take you places. Don't forget to subscribe, leave a review, and share this episode with someone who could use some positive energy. You guys can follow me on all platforms at Love Chris Sorinee, and you can follow the show at Keep It Positive, Sweetie. If you want to write into our Positive Outcomes listener letter, you can send us an email to Keep It positivesweetye at gmail dot com. Remember, no matter what life throws at you, stay focused, stay confident, and it's always Keep it Positive, sweeties.
Speaker 1: I'll see you guys next time.
Speaker 3: B