Speaker 1: Hey, that folks. It took three hours and forty seven minutes, but the ninety seventh Oscars is in the books now and your winners for the night, Anora and Conan O'Brien, Welcome to this special Oscars edition of Amy and TJ. We are fresh off watching the show. A lot of people, probably rogues, went to bed and didn't see the end of the show, but we stayed up and watched it. We are recording this episode here of the show of Amy and TJ, just mere moments after watching. So what's fresh in our minds? And if somebody asked you first quick impressions of the night, first thing out of your mouth is I thought it.
Speaker 2: Was enjoyable and entertaining. There were a few annoying moments, but Conan O'Brien really brought it home. I thought he found a way to be funny, light and bright without being mean or dark, and most of his jokes landed, which was great.
Speaker 3: And I loved how they with the entertainment from Wicked.
Speaker 2: It drew me in from the beginning, and of course the ending was exactly what I was hoping for, so the.
Speaker 1: I agree with all of that. The show felt pretty good. It lag at times. We'll get into that in the second, but it's the head without question. The headline of the night is a Noorra good night. That movie cleaned up. It was nominated for six Oscars and it picked up five. That's they almost swept. And this is an independent film, didn't cost much to make.
Speaker 3: Six million dollars to make, and a surprise.
Speaker 1: Probably the biggest one is in the Best Actress category, where Demi Mour was Rogues the clear.
Speaker 2: Favorite absolutely and Mikey Madison, which was our favorite. Nothing against me Moore. I would have been happy if she had won as well. But we loved Mikey, we loved Donorra. It was the standout film that we both agreed on actually having watched all of the films, and so to see her get that recognition was pretty awesome. I felt, you know, you feel a little bit bad for Demi because this might be her one and only herrah. But they did show a picture of her after Mikey's speech, which was so sweet and so earnest, and Demi looked genuinely.
Speaker 3: Happy for her. It was a nice thing to see.
Speaker 1: So let's go from I guess the highlight the positive highlight of the night A Nora cleaned up Amelia Perez the most nominated film this year, thirteen Oscar nominations. They're walking away with Please correct me ropes, make sure I got the count right, walking away with two two? Yeah, thirteen. That's not a great night for this film. And a lot of people will point to controversy as to watch.
Speaker 2: Yes, because the controversy happened in the middle of the voting period and that may have changed some folks' minds. But it was nice to see Zoe's El Danya get Best Supporting Actress.
Speaker 3: She says she's the first person of.
Speaker 2: Dominican descent to receive that award, and she was so passionate and so excited and really cute about it and.
Speaker 1: Most emotional speech to the night. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: I think it was, Yes.
Speaker 2: I mean she really you could feel her passion and you loved, loved, loved that scene that song in the ballroom, And that was the other win for Emilia Perez, which was Best Original Song El Mall, which was that scene that you talked about. So Zoe kind of was the star of both of the moments where I Meania Perez got or took home Oscars.
Speaker 1: So I told you I thought she should win an Oscar strictly for that performance in that one scene and the song in that one scene one an Oscar.
Speaker 3: So it is do you feel validated?
Speaker 1: I do in a lot of ways, but it lets me know that I'm not alone in how much that one scene stood out. So if you get a chance to watch Emilia Perez, that one scene is worth.
Speaker 3: Her red velvet suit in that one scene was die form so much.
Speaker 1: But yes, her speech was wonderful tonight. But yes, they walked away with only two of thirteen as well, a highly nominated film that's been doing well on the awards circuit.
Speaker 3: Awards it won Best Picture.
Speaker 2: So that's why a lot of folks were thinking, wait, because Anura did seem to stand out as the favorite. But then when Conclave took home the last awards show for Best Picture, a lot of folks thought, especially maybe even given the current events of the pope.
Speaker 3: But no, it did not.
Speaker 2: It only brought home What was the one it got for adapted screenplay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was one adapted screenplay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that that was a little shot. They were nominated for eight ten. I think it was eight they were nominated for, but that was It was just a Nora's Knight, is what this all boils down to. It was the Nora's Knight, So we're gonna go through the night. Yes, there were twenty three awards given out. Took three forty seven minutes, a little on the longer side for an award show, but of course this was Colnan O'Brien's first time to host the Awesome. He's done other major award shows, but it's almost twenty years since he's done a major award show before. So that is what we were expecting. At the top of the show, we're waiting to see what Conan's gonna do, but a surprise, surprise, surprise for a lot of folks robes. This was the most perfect and stunning and emotional and uplifting and awnspiring open I've seen to an oscar show. Cynthia Rivo and Ariana Grande crushed that opening to what You didn't even feel like you were watching an award show. You felt like you were watching a concert.
Speaker 2: It was incredible obviously to powerhouse voices, and also I loved how they started off with There's No Place like Home and the Ruby red Slippers and then paying homage to La. The city of Los Angeles was behind them, so there was a direct nod to what La had been through. Just with the opening scene, with the wicked scenes, but oh my god, to hear them saying, to hear their performances defying gravity. I had chills from head to toe and it was pretty cool. In fact, Michelle, yo, we love her. She was crmed. It brought people to tears. It was that powerful. So the opening I was completely one hundred percent in. I thought it was awesome. And then when Conan did show up, he paid homage to the substance crawling out of Demi Moore's body. I thought that was actually really well done. I thought it was it just it grabbed your attention.
Speaker 3: It was very entertaining.
Speaker 1: If folks aren't familiar with Conan O'Brien and his humor, he's very goofy. He's self deprecating always, and he's kind of awkward and spartan. I mean, he's and very spontaneous, spontaneus, spontaneous tanius and his uh sometimes his delivery, and but he's not afraid at all to make fun of himself. He did that throughout the show, but he started joke and you know, we saw him at a point where we thought he got a little uncomfortable because he wasn't quite the room. We always hear about the hosts we've talked to in you past. The audience is one thing you're trying to play to make sure they are enjoying it. But you still have an audience in the room, and if they aren't reacting to your jokes, you kind of get at You get a moment, and he seems like he had a moment where he was trying to recover.
Speaker 3: We saw him.
Speaker 2: It seemed like he was wiping sweat off of his face multiple times because he started to feel the pressure. The room wasn't reacting the way he thought it was going to it a couple of times. But then he he pulled off a joke on Carlo Sophia Gascone and the controversy, and it landed and he almost did it like a jig on the stage.
Speaker 3: He realized like, okay, I'm back, I'm good.
Speaker 2: And actually from that point on he never once seemed like he stuttered or faltered, you know what.
Speaker 1: That might have been perhaps the joke of the night in saying, so Carlo Sofia GASCONA a lot of people familiar with the controversy now, but he was making a point that on Nora used the F word so many times in that film. They said, that's almost as much as Carlo Sofia Gascon's.
Speaker 3: Pop publicist did.
Speaker 1: It was a perfect joke into your point, and a lot of people pointed this out Robes. You find a way to be funny, You find a way to poke fun at something or somebody without being mean, without being offensive. He did that throughout the night.
Speaker 2: I thought it was kind of just acknowledging the elephant of the room. Yes, and it almost it allowed her. They actually took a close up of her and she even smiled, so it like it felt like she was in on it or she was acknowledging it. It wasn't some mean spirited joke. So it landed and it worked, and that really was a.
Speaker 3: Game changer for him. Yeah, he got his mojo back after that.
Speaker 1: He came back a lot. He did This is a hard, hard gig. He nailed it on his first assignment. The other joke halfway through he said, we're at the halfway point of the show, So this is the time when Kendrick Lamar comes out and calls Drake a pedophile. There was a super Bowl. It's a timely joke, but it was again, it was so current and he pointed something out without being mean to anybody. I cannot. I take my hat off to him to what he did tonight. Good job Connor O'Brian. He was a big winner tonight.
Speaker 2: And I think he has to know what he has to feel. He landed his plane and then some It was really good and I thought, we you know what I one of the first big awards. Was it the first award the Best Importing Actor? Karen Culkin I think started off the acceptance speeches with such a bang as well.
Speaker 3: He was so sweet and cute.
Speaker 2: I thought he was maybe going off on too much of a tangent talking about his wife and having promised him a third kid after the last win, and then a fourth kit if he ever won an oscar.
Speaker 3: But it was really sweet.
Speaker 2: He said, let's get cracking like it just it was a cute moment that we kind of got to witness and were let in on in his speech.
Speaker 3: It was I thought it was sweet.
Speaker 2: It was not too indulgent and it was just it was a it was as a positive moment.
Speaker 1: It took a little while and I think we both acknowledged, like, oh, they can't play him off now when he started telling the story about his wife and it was it seemed like a very authentic and PROMPTU moment. Yeah, and it was sweet and it kept cutting away and showing his wife's face and you have to have that and that's what causes the show to go along sometime. But you can't play that guy off. And I said to you, thank god, I said, wow, that director, hats off to you for letting that ride, because we would have missed maybe one of the best moments of the night.
Speaker 2: That's true, But there was another time where the music played and it wasn't such a sweet moment, and it did get really itchy and strange. And I'm jumping ahead to the end. But from Best Supporting Actor to Best Actor, well, we can get into that in a bit, but that's like such a big moment of the night. I wanted to talk about it.
Speaker 3: Am I going out of order? Of course I am.
Speaker 2: But Adrian Brody when he got his Best Actor award, and we kept thinking like, okay, here's this solid actor with the biggest acting award of the night, and the music started playing and he was not having it, and he.
Speaker 3: Said, hey, this isn't my first row. Stop the music. But then he kept going and going and going, and it did get a little awkward. I don't know, how did you feel about that.
Speaker 1: Look, it's his moment, it's his night. He has a lot on his heart, and I can't what you put into a three hour and thirty five minute movie. I can't imagine. He didn't seem that focused necessarily. And I think if you watch for a little while, you give a little rope there, you want to be a little like, hey, okay, it's fine, go ahead, take your time. But his went a little long, to the point that it felt like he wasn't respecting the show at all. He wasn't respecting the audience, he wasn't respecting his philodomenees, he wasn't respecting the process and the program. It felt like it went that far, even if you were willing to give him as much leeway as possible because he's just picked up a huge win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we were huge fans of his performance. The Brutalist was a tough thing necessary to watch in its entirety, but watching him perform was worth the watch. So we were huge fans of his performance and what he did and the fact that he got that acting nod. But what he did on stage tonight definitely wasn't exactly something fun to watch for those of us at home. But I also really enjoyed watching or just being focused on his man brooch, which I noticed was also a theme of the night. It was like two guys, I think there were three guys. There was some man brooches on display. I just thought that you might have started that trend.
Speaker 1: I did not, But no, it's aid. Fashion is always the thing I'm always interested in how they know. I mean, they become themes to what people were on the red carpets, the dresses, the colors, and the hairstyles, and I'm always amazed by that. But yes, you pointed out a few times that guys were wearing oversized in some cases just lapel pins. Asian Brody had his on the right side of his jacket and not on the lapel actually, so that was a little threw me off a little, but yeah, it was a style.
Speaker 2: You could also call them bejeweled lapel pens right, but jeweled lapel pins.
Speaker 1: But dazzled if you want to dazzled, if you want to make it sound even more insultant. The Adam Sandler bit at the top, dude, did that work?
Speaker 3: That didn't for me.
Speaker 2: So yeah, as much as we were loving what Conan did, there were a and look. I mean, I can't even imagine having to come up with what he had to come up with to keep his performance going and his bit going.
Speaker 3: But the Adam Sandler thing, I don't think landed. It was a little.
Speaker 2: Bizarre that he showed up in his classic Adam Sandler look and then felt like he had to leave in shame because he wasn't dressed appropriately. And then his number with I won't waste time When he sang that number, I thought that was also a little bizarre. Neither one of those bits lasted too long, but I think it was pretty obvious that they didn't really work.
Speaker 3: But everything else was great.
Speaker 1: The only reason I did like the hit him doing the number I won't waste time. And folks, if you didn't see it at Am Taendler, your host Coonel Ryan after he goes through his entire monologue and tells the jokes and say, hey, I know these shows are off for going long, but I assure you I'm not going to waste your time. And then he took two minutes wasting your time with this with a song that was no part of the show. It meant nothing. So it was a little ways to go for a bit, but at least I could give him credit on that. The night started, we didn't get to a first award until seven thirty. Like you just mentioned Kieran Colkin, who was the overwhelming largest favorite of the night. It was almost you knew he was going to win. But how does that how does the show end up feeling when it started thirty minutes ago. I'm seeing the first ward at seven thirty, and then from seven thirty seven forty eight o'clock what you're seeing is Best Animated Feature, Best Short Feature, Best Costume Design, Best Original Screenplay, Best Adaptive Screenplay, Best makeup in it you go through for the next almost hour and a half before you get to any major awards. These are all important, I'm not taking away, but for a lot of people sometimes with the show, that seems to drag when you get to that type of lull quote unquote I'm not knocking it, but the show at that point took a little bit of a slower.
Speaker 2: Turn, without a doubt, and because the show started off with such a bang, with the performances from Wicked going and doing his thing, and then even having Kieran's great acceptance speech, it definitely slowed down for me. And I would say, normally, if I weren't doing this podcast and I had an early wake up call, which we do, I would probably have started watching it from bed and nodding off and falling asleep. That is what has happened in years past and that's probably what would have happened this year.
Speaker 1: Wow. So you make a good point there, because it does if you're just laying down and watching. And we watched all these movies. A lot of people did not. These were not necessarily huge blockbusters for the most part. But you get to the James Bond tribute. You know, let's mention first, I'm sorry, the first black Man and to win for Best Costume Design Wicked. It needs to be mentioned there. So there was a bit of history you had. You had the first Lotvian movie Flow it was the best animated feature, so there was some history they had a sweet speech they did to acknowledge that history. You're laughing, Oh, just.
Speaker 2: I was laughing at the couple that were because they didn't speak English, the Iranian couple in the shadow of Cyprus, so they didn't have visas until yesterday, so they literally looked like they had run off the plane come up on the stage.
Speaker 3: They didn't speak good.
Speaker 2: English, which is what they said, and then they were trying to read off their phone and going back and forth.
Speaker 3: It was it was.
Speaker 2: It was slightly awkward, but it also was sweet because it was truly authentic and they were so excited. But that was an interesting moment. Like I actually found those acceptance speeches to be really interesting because there was heart, the authentic There was authentic heart behind both of them, and they weren't your typical I'd like to thank the Academy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the James Bond tribute, I'm not sure. And you know almost huge Bond family, I know.
Speaker 3: So that means a lot coming from you.
Speaker 1: So they had a Bond tribute that seemed unnecessary? Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Yes? I was confused, bye why I was looking at it.
Speaker 1: And again, I know there's a lot that's happened now with Bond going over to or the rights going over to Amazon. So it's been in the news, but it just seemed tonight that wasn't a babe.
Speaker 2: If I was not your partner and I didn't know how much you loved James Bond, I wouldn't have even known when they mentioned the Broccoli family. They didn't really put context for anyone who doesn't understand that they're the ones who owned James Bond and they're the ones that just sold the rights to it to Amazon. If I weren't dating you, I would have been like, what is happening.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't have understood what they were saying.
Speaker 2: They never made it clear why they showed the Broccoli family in the audience and then just started playing James Bond music.
Speaker 3: I was like, what's going on?
Speaker 1: Was that not on us? Were we not too many Margarita's end at the time? Maybe we missed it. I just want to make sure I know.
Speaker 2: I absolutely was thinking, thank god, I even have some context here, because they didn't give any So I don't know if anyone else was watching and they didn't understand, I would have been right there with.
Speaker 1: You on tribute, though, Highlight Ray. Yesay, listen, we are just getting on the Ray bandwagon. Here is of Late after the Grammys. Okay, Ray should have been handed an oscar on the spot of any kind. That woman Lord, sweet baby, black Jesus. She can sing night she is.
Speaker 2: And it's tough to take a song on that Adele made famous with Skyfall.
Speaker 1: Okay, that was incredible to me. Now, there were a couple of moments, not that many, but where some political statements were made. Yes, and I think who was it. There was one statement, well, I'm blanking on her name right now from Splash from Splash, Yes, the actress from Splash, right.
Speaker 2: That's so funny. It's such an old movie. I didn't know Darryl Daryl Hannah.
Speaker 3: I was like, wait Splash and.
Speaker 2: I was like wait, okay, because I came in, I went to go grab some waters and came back.
Speaker 3: I said, wait, is that Darryl Hannah. Yes.
Speaker 1: He introduced her by saying she was the most beautiful Daryl on the planet. So yes, Darryl Hann. She came out and she threw up a peace sign and said something about Ukraine, but then went right into it. But there was a moment no other Land the best Documentary Feature Film. Now folks don't know about this and Robes. It's hard to find. If you haven't seen it, it's hard. You have to go do some digging to find this best Documentary Feature film that won. But it's a joint collaboration between Palestinians and Israelis making this film. And they went up there, the Palestinian and Israeli Robes filmmakers.
Speaker 3: The incredible.
Speaker 1: Put them in the room. They will settle peace for you. Put those two in a It was very incredible.
Speaker 2: It was I had chills. I want to see this documentary. In fact, my daughter was watching the Oscars from her apartment. We were texting back and forth and she said, I'm obsessed. I want to see this so badly. I can't find out how to watch this film. But I feel like, yes, given this situation we're in in the Middle East right now, just to see Palestinian and Israeli together on that stage making art and winning an Academy Award doing it, it was awesome.
Speaker 1: And I wrote this line down. It was amazing. It should be the lead line in every meeting having to do with peace, said, my people can be safe if his people can be free.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, and just to see them most powerful.
Speaker 1: That was probably one of the coolest moments of the night top three for sure. But it was just it was a It was an important and authentic and it was a human moment. I really really appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You know, we complain where a lot of people complained about actors making political statements and taking this platform and this opportunity to do so I get that, but this was just the moment where that was their art, that was what the subject matter was, and it was so real.
Speaker 3: They weren't making a political statement. They were just being.
Speaker 2: Two human beings on the stage who found a way to connect and to understand one another. And that's what this is all about. So hopefully that could maybe one day be life imitating art or art imitating life.
Speaker 3: But it was a moment.
Speaker 1: It was so special, and they had their moment to speak and to say what they wanted to say. We saw a few playouts right where they turned the music on then the speeches or whatnot. The first time we saw it was at nine ten when they were doing the Best Documentary Short feature and those folks went a little long. Yes, so they started to play them out, so you're the music come on. But one of the coolest moments of the night, and I'll ask you as well. They brought out members of the LA Fire Department, of course, who've been the wonderful firefighters. We saw this at a previous award show, was.
Speaker 3: It the Grammy.
Speaker 1: So they brought a big group out. This was a much smaller group, but ro I was okay.
Speaker 3: I said cool.
Speaker 1: When they first came out, I said, wow, that's a very small group. But then they gave them speaking parts, with which I thought was brilliant.
Speaker 2: Not just speaking parts, they let them give out the jokes. Maybe the first one was a little tough. I was like, ooh, Conan might not have wanted to say that on his own, So we gave it to He gave it to the firefighter to say. It was something referencing about not having homes.
Speaker 3: I know what it was.
Speaker 2: What was the movie that he said, if you made this movie, you might not have a home?
Speaker 3: It was it was the people who made what movie?
Speaker 1: Was it?
Speaker 2: This movie has been the butt of so many jokes. This isn't the first time this movie. I'm gonna I'm gonna find it.
Speaker 1: I cannot remember but he was cute to.
Speaker 3: See them try to deliver jokes and kind of do a dead pan.
Speaker 1: But it was cool that the members of the Los Angeles Fire Department. Absolutely, of course they should get as much attention and love and so and recognition for what they've been doing and what they have done out there with those devastating fires that were ravaging all all round LA in the month of January. Recognition is one thing, but they got to actually be a part of the show. They got to actually have reading lines. They were introduced with right their rank and their first and their last name, and they got to have a really really cool moment. So I thought that was a nice nugget. You found the joke.
Speaker 3: I found the joke.
Speaker 2: So this is what And one of the headlines is Conan O'Brien forces LA firefighter to read his riskiest oscar joke, which I kind of agree with.
Speaker 3: So here was the joke.
Speaker 2: Our hearts go out to all of those who lost their homes. And I'm talking about the producers of Joker too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was it. It was right on the line.
Speaker 2: It still worked, but it worked better than the firefighter said it versus Conan saying it and all.
Speaker 1: I think they did a really good risk The firefighters did a good job. They did they did you say risky there? I think Conan didn't take too many No, but he had one line. He had one joke that folks will not appreciate. After Honora picked up a couple of wins and it was clear they were going to be having a good night, he said later in the evening, and this was the joke. Honora is having a good night. Americans are happy to see someone standing up to a powerful Russian.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, but you know what.
Speaker 2: To me, that was again he and he skated a line where yes, there was a political statement ish, but it was in goods fun so it landed.
Speaker 3: It worked.
Speaker 2: I thought he did that really really well, acknowledging what's going on, poking a little fun at it, but not going over the top or going over the line. He never crossed the line.
Speaker 1: I don't think he did.
Speaker 3: I don't think he did it.
Speaker 1: And if you can make that audience, that room in particular, feel safe. Look, you're going to get poked a little, but you don't want that room to be uncomfortable. Conan O'Brien did a masterful job today. He is going to be invited back again and again and again.
Speaker 3: I think he will too. He did a g great job.
Speaker 1: Who is the group tonight? Robes? You had to remind me because a lot of people are complaining about it. The two people who started singing awkwardly in their accept this speech? Where was that?
Speaker 3: So it was?
Speaker 2: I know because that was when Ava, my daughter, was about thirty seconds ahead of us, and she was sending me texts like why are these people singing? I'm so confused what is happening right now? And I believe it was for I know. I'm trying to look at my notes too, because it was a bizarre moment where you're just like, wait, why are they doing this right now?
Speaker 1: People broke out in song at some point on stage, and some people found it cringe worthy and they were They're saying all kinds of things about it online, but you can. I'm not even sure how big of an award it was for the night, but anyway, I was thinking about that the end memorialm We knew Gene Hackman was going to be mentioned and honored at some point in the evening, and they brought out Morgan Freeman yes to do so. He came out. Essentially, it was the introduction to the end memoriam, and he just spoke a few words about Gene Hagwin and gave him, I guess, two minutes where he was kind of singled out, and then they went into the end memoriam, which is something that people always pay attention to. Robes I a year, you forget how many people we lose in a year.
Speaker 3: Always.
Speaker 2: I was surprised, and you're, like James Earl Jones, like you just started to realize. I was going through it and watching all the people who we lost, and not just the famous names who I had forgotten had passed, which definitely happened, but just people who were a part of this community and a part of creating this art that we all enjoy, and just it was reminding me.
Speaker 3: Just how fleeting life is.
Speaker 2: I was having a moment listening and watching and just being moved by remembering not just honoring them, but remembering how quickly time passes and how important it is we all can celebrate and honor each other and be in good spirits.
Speaker 3: I just thought this.
Speaker 2: I thought the whole show really honored that. It didn't feel divisive, didn't we just have so much that we're now ingesting and consuming that feels ugh icky, and this was just I thought this was a beautiful night.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard that word y, we haven't used that word yet, but that's the right one. This show did not feel divisive. Nope, we have so much that divides us. Yes, the show tonight did not and not think Conan should be given a lot of credit for that. But it didn't feel politics divides us. But even when politics came up tonight, it was in the spirit of bringing us together. Yes, I appreciated that. I'm curious to see what the ratings are going to end up being because these were movies that did not do great as far as box office numbers. They made I think one point seven billion less the nominees this year than the nominees from last year. So this mainstream audiences didn't seal a lot of these movies. Is that going to make it. It's a good show.
Speaker 2: It was a good show I and maybe we enjoyed it more. We talked about this because we watched it.
Speaker 3: We watched all.
Speaker 2: The movies for the podcast, and it just made Tonight so much more enjoyable. In fact, our producers who said they were gonna throw a party, a watch party, because they watched all the shows and were invested in it. Sent us pictures from there. It was cute. It just it makes a big difference when you watch the movies. And one of the so we saw and I did not know who this was beforehand, but it was great to see Sean Baker, who was the who won best director, it was best Picture for a Noura and what was best Editor. So he got up there and one of his acceptance be just because he got to give three was a big plea for people to go to the theaters. And I actually loved that. Normally, like, yeah, don't get up and tell me what to do or what to think or what to feel, but his love and passion for what he does came through, and he just took the moment to talk to all of us at home to go see these films in the theaters, to go and support the people who make this art in a real way, and just it was I really, we love going to the theater, so you don't need.
Speaker 3: To tell us.
Speaker 2: But I just thought it was actually a really valuable use of his time and and normally, you know, think about it if you have to go up, have to if you have the honor of going up three times, think about that. You have to have three different acceptance speeches that are creative and on brand, and this is your opportunity to talk.
Speaker 3: But that's a pretty cool problem to have.
Speaker 1: But he was so quirky in himself tonight. He was you were rooting for him.
Speaker 2: You choose It was a good word, cute, authentic and just so happy and earnest.
Speaker 3: It was awesome.
Speaker 1: Ry last two things you want to hit on here tonight, I should say three before we wrap. One has to be Mikey Madison. Another has to be the Quincy Drones tribute. Oh yes, and then the other has to be fashion. So start with the Quincy Jones tribute. Oprah and Whoopee. Whoopy came out to introduce it, and I don't should I be the one to bring up fashion? Okay, it comes to Oprah and Whoopee because they both made very significance and I thought, very bad ass but very different fashion statements in what they were wearing.
Speaker 3: They were bold, they owned it.
Speaker 2: I actually would have assumed they would have swapped what they were wearing with one another, like it's funny what Oprah was wearing. I was like, I could see I could see Whoopee rocking that, and what Whoopy was wearing, I could see Oprah rocking.
Speaker 3: So but yeah, they were stand out.
Speaker 2: They were elegant, and they they were just proud, confident women who knew exactly that they owned where they were and deserved to be doing and saying what they were doing with.
Speaker 1: Their relationship with Quincy, going to the color Purple, Color Color Purple, and these one who owe so much of their lives and their livelihood and who they are to Quincy Jones that tribute and then you have Queen Latie come out and do I kind of remember the song.
Speaker 3: Get down the Wizz, Yeah from the Whiz.
Speaker 1: So that was a cool moment to see in the Quincy Jones tribute that we knew down it had to be a part of Look And if folks, if you haven't listened to our preview r we did our Oscar preview. We did two episodes. We watched all the movies so you didn't have to, but we gave our predictions for who we thought were going to win in each category at Robes. I don't think there was anybody we were more enthusiastically supportive of than Mikey Madison.
Speaker 2: Mikey Madison because we just loved her in this movie. What she did is so difficult to do, and she did it so well, so effortlessly. But to take on the role of a sex worker, to expose yourself and dance the way she had to, and then just oh wow, her perform moments, I can't even put it into words, but it was so good and so real. I felt like at times I was watching a documentary rather than watching someone reading lines in a script.
Speaker 3: It just all seemed so natural.
Speaker 1: They gave I think Sean Baker did, the director, but she did as well. They gave a shout out to the sex worker community saying they talk about the relationships they formed and people they have come to know and be around and were getting ready for the film. So that was, I guess, something you don't see a lot or hardly ever at the Oscars necessarily, So it was cool.
Speaker 2: To see her not just portray someone who may work in that industry, but to also yes, say I learned from you. I you know, worked with you, sat with you, watched you learn from you.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it was really cool. To see that, but so happy she won.
Speaker 1: Remind me, did Mikey got the Bafta?
Speaker 2: Oh help me, she got the shed the Baftaze. Okay, because Demi Moore had swept all the other awards, Golden globes, I believe to me, Moore got the sag Award.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So people were thinking it was between the two, but Demi was still the heavy favorite.
Speaker 1: She was and in Vegas she was the favorite as well.
Speaker 3: We looked, see, I told you we should have. We should have pit some money on. We would have. We would have done well tonight.
Speaker 2: See. Now this is what happens. You start to think you can win and then you get sucked into it. We're not going to, but we could have, and maybe we should have.
Speaker 1: Last thing we went on. I'm just curious. When I say Oscar's twenty twenty five fashion, you say.
Speaker 3: Oh, it was like a nineteen forties theme.
Speaker 1: Okay, there was thought to say canary suit.
Speaker 2: Oh oh well yeah that was the canary of the coal mine, right, Like that was you know if they took a every time they took a huge audience shot, all I.
Speaker 3: Could see was Timothy shot. He was like that was the point. Yeah. So who's laughing now?
Speaker 2: He knew that all eyes would be on his Lemon Sherbert tuxedo that I was not a fan of.
Speaker 1: Why just because of the color, because yeah, it had to be the color it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I saw a picture of him from a couple of weeks ago in an all pink get up.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's his thing. He likes to stand out. He's an artist. I get it. It's just I'm not a fan of it.
Speaker 1: Do they have on jeans tonight? By the way, what do I think he might have had.
Speaker 2: On yellow jeans? I didn't even pay that close of attent. Honestly, I was just blinded by the yellowness of everything. I didn't get into the specifics of what clothing like articles of clothing he had on. I just knew everything was bright yellow.
Speaker 1: Timothy chat May he can do no wrong when it comes to fashion.
Speaker 3: According to my daughters, you are correct, you can do no wrong. Yeah, I mean, look, he's a great actor.
Speaker 2: I mean does obviously two movies that were nominated, So that's pretty awesome.
Speaker 1: He was nominated for Best Actor at the age of what.
Speaker 2: Hell, yeah, no, he is a phenom and I get it. These are these creative types. They like to stand out in the crowd. But I that would have been tough. Like if you and I were going somewhere you said, hey, babe, I'm gonna wear an.
Speaker 3: All yellow tuks.
Speaker 1: Make it work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I guess, And that's it was Kylie Jenner with him, right, So she wouldn't all black. I think.
Speaker 3: So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: You're like, I don't even know, don't I think I don't know the cardash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a Kardashian. I guess.
Speaker 1: I can't. I don't know what to call which one I can't. And there's some Genners in there, right. No, she's not a Genner, she's a Ginner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kylie Jenner, I just.
Speaker 1: Stopped talking your embarrassings though, Wait, what did I say? No, this is what you tell me to stop talking.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty said Kylie, I don't.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, Yes.
Speaker 2: It was Kylie Jenner. Oh he's so funny. They're saying Timothy shallow May's golden ticket.
Speaker 1: Oh it was supposed to be a gold Night situation.
Speaker 2: No, but it looked more yellow to me. I think that might be people stretching a little bit trying to give him. Yeah, that was not gold, that was yellow. That was canary yellow.
Speaker 1: Okay. Anyway, so what about the rest of the evening Besides the color of Timothy's suit, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Just noticed a lot of the women had a nineteen forties vibe to their hair, even like in the pre show Julianne huff did. I saw Emma Stone had like a very like that same kind of a hairstyle, so did Well, you know what, who was the singer who we were just talking about, who we love worth it right? She had that, she has had that kind of hairstyle. But oh, Selena Gomez had that kind of hairstyle. I just saw a lot of retro nineteen forties looks, but no one really did anything crazy or out of the ordinary.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 2: Always both of them did kind of a Wizard of Oz looking esque dress, but they rocked it in their performances. And yeah, I don't think anyone really stood out to me as being over the top, except for Timothy Shalome just for the color.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at it here in the computer and I'm the I don't know, obviously, I couldn't never pull something like that off, but uh, he likes the colors. It was a big night. They're gonna party hard. Do you think, yo, you.
Speaker 2: Know who's gonna party hard? This was fun to watch Anora. When the whole cast got up at the end for Best Picture. We don't know his name because we just call him the Russian kid. But the Russian actor who played opposite Mikey Madison, he we thought he was phenomenal in an Aura. I was surprised he did not get nominated, but it's cool. The kid doesn't get nominated. But he's standing up on that stage and he is jumping up and down almost like childlike enthusiasm. He is young, twenty four, he's twenty three. But you looked at me, you go, he's gonna have some fun to do fifteen and good for them. I hope they all do. I mean, how fun. We'll see all the pictures.
Speaker 1: Mark Edelstein is his name, by the way, what's his name? Mark Edelstein? And he's not really he doesn't have a lot of credits to his name. But a Russian actor twenty three years old got this role. And if you haven't seen the movie, he gives an unbelievable performance and you can't take your eyes off of him, and tonight you couldn't take your eyes off of him because he looked like he was having the best time of anybody in that room. Sweet, and it was sweet. He'll never be back, probably there's a chance he will never be back in that room.
Speaker 3: And maybe he'll win Best Actor next year. You never know.
Speaker 2: But I always appreciate people who a show up and even when they're not nominated and when they think maybe they should have been. And I don't know if his head was even in that space, but if you watch his performance, I think it would have been something that would have absolutely been considered.
Speaker 3: He was that good.
Speaker 2: But he was still up there, supporting his smoothie, supporting obviously.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was really cool to see.
Speaker 2: I every time I see people just joyful and appreciative, even when they don't win, that's always.
Speaker 3: It's reassuring.
Speaker 1: And this last thing you have to tell me whether or not how much is this being talked about or not. Zindiya was not there tonight for Doom Too.
Speaker 3: I looked it up because I was curious.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, wait, June two won two awards her co anchor co anchor, that's hilarious. Her co star Timothy Shallamy was not dominated, so I thought it was weird that we didn't see her or Tom Holland anyway. I just googled it and people were already saying that she didn't come because she wasn't nominated, and that her boyfriend, you know, wasn't in any pictures that were you know, he did more theater this year. But I still don't think it's a great look to not Maybe she has a real excuse, but people are already trying to figure out why, and there's things because she was snubbed or whatever. Hopefully that's not the case. Maybe she's shocking somewhere. Yea, but she was not there tonight. I was because I was looking for She's always like a style icon. I always love seeing her on the red carpet.
Speaker 1: But when I look, we've been and we've been to We've covered a bunch of oscars over the years, and this was a show that I thought nailed it tonally. It needed to hit a particular note because of everything that's happened in La with the fires. You can't go over the top and just honoring yourself and seeing patting yourself on the back when all this is going on, but he acknowledged how what was the word superflu I think maybe he might have used the top acknowledge how it can seem, how it can come off. But at the same time you find a balance with honoring these folks who are It's not the superstars. It's not the Andrew and Brodie's, it's not the Sean Baker's, it's not the Demi Moores. It's all those people who work in production. It's all those people, the audio guys, the guys who handled the sets, those guys lost homes. Those guys and those gals are the really the backbone of this industry, not the superstars. I thought they that was well written and make the point at the top.
Speaker 2: I just thought it was a great show from start to finish. I'm glad we stayed up and watched. And you know, there have been the last oscars that you and I were actually physically at was the slab heard around the world with Will Smith and you know that. I remember, oh, yeah, there's this other comedian. His name's Chris Rock and the two of them had this little incident on stage. Yeah, so we've come a long way from there. This one was about yes, more inclusiveness, unity, and yeah it was. It was nice to see everybody getting along.
Speaker 1: We enjoyed. I hope you all enjoyed. We always appreciate you all hanging with us. You can catch us, of course, Monday through Friday on the Morning Run, give you a heads up on the morning's news headlines as you go about, as you get your day started. You can always catch that Monday through Friday on our feed. But for now, thank you for listening.
Speaker 3: I'm TJ Holm, Yeah, and I'm Amy Roeboch.
Speaker 2: Have a wonderful evening and hopefully we'll catch you on the Morning Run on Monday.