Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for insider news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys Headquarters at the Star Infrasco. And now your host, Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: Today is January twenty nine, twenty twenty five, and we are officially eighty five days away from the NFL Draft in Green Bay, Wisconsin. Welcome into the Draft Show, presented by Miller Light, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys. We are back on radio row of the twenty twenty five Reese's Senior Bowl. We're gonna talk to some of the greatest prospects in this NFL Draft class, including Jared Ivy of Old Miss edge rusher defensive linemen as straordinaire.
Speaker 3: And that's the first question I'm going to ask you, Jared.
Speaker 2: We've got Nick Harris, Tommy Yarish, Kyle Yeomans here with the Draft Show. Where do you feel like you fit best on that defensive line? You've got some versatility up front? What are the teams looking at this week?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I love rushing the edge, but I'm gonna do it all guy. And and I love sliding inside, rushing inside too, And and uh yeah, it's kind of it's hard to pick, you know, I got I got production from from all spots, and so yeah, I just I want to be a pluck and play guy anywhere I go.
Speaker 2: You ended up measuring in very well throughout the week, and you got off to a great start yesterday and practice.
Speaker 3: How do you feel like that first session went?
Speaker 5: It went really good, got loose and in one on ones and and had a nice start to the day. Indy was really smooth and and it was good to work and compete around some great players with with some great coaches. So uh yeah, taking that into the team period, it was nice to open up and and get back to running to the ball again and making plays and in eleven on eleven, So yeah, all around, just a really good day.
Speaker 6: A big part of this process is obviously meeting with teams. What's going into that for you this week? How's that going?
Speaker 5: And those have been great, you know, after the first couple, you know, you start to get the hang of it and and get into kind of a flow and and and anticipate questions and and you know, have your stuff formulated. So it's been nice to get to know some of these scouts and coaches. Mike Tomlin was here last night and he's an unbelievable guy. So being around uh, just some of some great minds and and and it's been it's been awesome.
Speaker 6: Have you met with the Cowboys yet?
Speaker 4: I have?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that gore really nice and got to learn a lot about you know, where they see me and and and the kind of prospect they see me as. And it kind of aligns with my views on myself.
Speaker 7: So great conversation and kind of going in more in depth on that with the Cowboys? Did they see you more as an edge rusher, as a defensive lineman, a mixture of both? You mentioned your versatility. Where did they see you projecting?
Speaker 5: I think just a mixture of both, you know, I think being able to do what I've been doing at Old Miss and rushing inside, rushing outside, playing five six eyes, nine threes, four eyes, like just you know, being a do it all guy, Ben?
Speaker 3: Did they did?
Speaker 7: Was that kind of the same sentiment with all the teams that you met with yesterday or were there some that maybe had a little bit more of a playing one spot versus the other? Things like that more or less?
Speaker 5: But I'm not exactly familiar on who runs what, so obviously that definitely plays a part. But as far as the conversations went, I think everybody was super jacked and excited.
Speaker 4: About my versatility.
Speaker 5: So yeah, as am I and I want to continue to be that type of player going for it.
Speaker 2: Is there anybody at the NFL level that you model your game after?
Speaker 3: Because the Cowboys have had some guys that.
Speaker 2: Have gone inside and out and had that success on the defensive line doing so.
Speaker 3: But does anybody stick out to you?
Speaker 4: There's a few guys that stick out.
Speaker 5: I mean Cam Jordan, Miles Garrett, guys like Eric Armstead, the Forrest Buckner, Guys that you know slide all around the yard and and can get production from anywhere.
Speaker 2: You guys have a lot of talent here from Old Miss as well. We'll get a chance to catch up with Walter Nolan here in a little bit as well.
Speaker 3: I mean talk about how much that group helped.
Speaker 2: You grow throughout your tenure in Old Miss and having an opportunity to now come to the senior with us.
Speaker 5: As far as the work at practice, it was second and none are some of our indie sessions and one on ones versus versus our offensive line is. It's just it's cool to be able to compete and and go hard with guys that also go hard and make plays. And then on top of that, like being on the field with them on Saturday, right, it frees up so much space. It creates so many more one on ones, like you're able to get on so many, so many edges, and so much isolation playing with other guys because it's hard to double you.
Speaker 4: You really can't double anybody.
Speaker 6: I've heard good notes about your knowledge of the game, IQ of the game. How much studying do you put into that aspect of what you have in the game.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I love the game.
Speaker 5: I think studying is a double sided question because you know, these coaches like they I mean they live, eat, sleep, breathe this game, like stay at three in the morning creating these game plans. So just learning from them and listening and taking notes and meetings, like I've learned so much about the game the past few years just being around some great coaches and and you know, taking taking my nuggets where I can.
Speaker 6: If you had to go back and tell the Jared Ivy that was entering Georgia Tech as a young freshman, what would you tell him.
Speaker 5: I tell him, just manage to stick the course and always bet on yourself. You know it was it was tough to make that decision to hit the portal and and uh, you know, take that chance. But I would never go back and change that. It gave me this opportunity to be here today.
Speaker 6: Who are you?
Speaker 4: Off the field?
Speaker 5: Just laid back, relaxed. I like the golf, fish, cook, beat the crib.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 5: I got a really small family, so I love to just spend time and and and hang out and chill with my family.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. You're gonna get a couple of strokes in while you're out here.
Speaker 8: I will.
Speaker 5: We're not having too much off time. And it would have been nice. We played at gosh, where's it? And we played in Jacksonville. What's that TBC?
Speaker 4: So nice?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So if I had stayed another day, I came home early and trained. But my buddy that that I'm always golfing with it in Oxford, He's stayed next year day and and played one of the courses, which I would have loved to do. But you know, but you're locked in what I had to get to work. I had to get to work, and I would have been out there probably for a week on one Green.
Speaker 3: So there you go.
Speaker 2: You've got a couple of people that wear this this logo that are avid golfers as well, so you would fit right in the building.
Speaker 3: What would it mean to be drafted by the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: It'd be awesome.
Speaker 5: You know historic uh program, the great Pants, you know, and then you know historic uh Jerry Jones, So obviously you know, very well known owner Dak Press got a very solid even though he's a bulldog, you know, you know, solid bell, really really great player. And uh yeah, Sam's up there. I didn't I didn't cross over with him at my time at all, miss, but hearing stories about him and seeing him on the tape when I had first got there, and and uh he's a great player, so you know obviously Micah, uh you know, I had my little podcast deal and I know he's big into that. So that was very and uh yeah, just a great group of guys and a good team looking to get over the hope.
Speaker 2: Well, you're welcome on our podcast anytime you want along the way.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you taking some time.
Speaker 2: Good luck this week, and of course keep on rocking going into the Senior Bowl of all these practices throughout the week.
Speaker 4: All Right, I appreciate you guys having me.
Speaker 2: Allah, Jared Ivy old Miss Edge Rusher joining us here from the Reese's Senior Bowl.
Speaker 3: We've got more to come right after this. From Radio Row.
Speaker 9: Here we go Tyler from Dude Perfect Here, big news. We just dropped our very own Dude Perfect Smoothie with Smoothie King.
Speaker 10: We as strong. It's my recipe.
Speaker 11: Technically, we all came up with it.
Speaker 6: Kobe.
Speaker 9: I mean you put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that.
Speaker 11: Guys.
Speaker 10: This is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I was on who said that. Oh that was funny, funny.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Anyways, give the dude Perfect Smoothie only at Smoothie King my smoothie.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 13: Drew Pearston, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here, you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses. Don't throw a hell Mary go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 14: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At lasercare I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see.
Speaker 13: Check them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you.
Speaker 8: Hoo hoo.
Speaker 15: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: As they snapped, the fresh guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a first out.
Speaker 3: Just like football.
Speaker 16: When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world.
Speaker 15: To buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 17: Prescot's gonna rub this himself, run it up the middle and the scores.
Speaker 16: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, they've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 16: Get started at blockchain dot com Cowboys fans.
Speaker 18: When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, your business needs a partner can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals, has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you had. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting Ryan dot com. Ryan the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys is.
Speaker 1: The Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to radio here in Mobile, Alabama. Alongside Nick Harris, Tom Yars, I'm Kyle Yeomens. We now have the running back from Kansas. You know his name already, Devin Neil, and I just told you off air we have a lot of film buffs that love what you've brought to the table from a film element. What is this week going to do for you to help elevate that draft call?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 19: I think for me it's really important to prove that can be every downback and you know, route running and winning my one on ones is big, and then obviously past pro two and then you know, I think just showing continue strivesing getting better in the run game. I mean, there's some dudes out here on D line, so not everything's going to clear up, and we have some guys on O line too, So just running consistently and knowing my job and my landmarks and play calling SA NFL pro stoyn offense. So just getting used to that and because this is my process now, and so just showing that I can do that and be consistent aspect too well.
Speaker 2: And you're very vertuatile as well. You bring a vast skill set to the table. You mentioned a couple elements there. One that I've been very impressed with is the ability to receive out of the backfield and catch out of the backfield. How much of a growth did you see during your time in Lawrence and taking a step forward in that element and how are you going to bring that to the NFL?
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean just you know, honestly, just having those conversations couch, it's like, hey, I need to get involved more, and you know, I don't have to always just run the ball.
Speaker 8: And we went a lot of two back stuff.
Speaker 19: You can see it on film and there was times where our other running back will be back there and I'll split out a little bit and motion out.
Speaker 8: And go do some things too.
Speaker 19: So just being able to be versatile, like you said, I think it's importing me every downe back. I think it's a trait that I bring and not everyone can bring that, so, you know, and then I think just sohoing strides of being good in the past game, you know, I think early on in my career I sucked that passport, to be quite honest with you, because I just wasn't heavy enough. And then you know, growing into it, you know, especially this past year, like I was really consistent that aspect and I was really good, and the just unknowing my ID and then taking guys at the line of scrimmage and you know, just keeping them there and not getting the lap of the quarterback.
Speaker 6: I'd be curious to know your perspective because obviously this is a great running back class, one of the best and probably the last decade. And I know a lot of players can suffer from comparison during this process and trying to bury yourself to other guys. How do you kind of stay and who you are and trying to get what you have to get done at the end of the day to be the best possible draft pick.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean, for me, I just believe that comparison is a deep of joy, you know. I try not to get into you know, who's this and what are they doing. You know, I just go out there and put my best foot forward, and you know, go prove what I do and show my versatility on tape. Just play and be effective in everything I do. And you know, I think coaches, at least the coaches I've talked to, understand my perspective of my mindset to dominate anything I do and you know, not getting to you know, I think I'm better than this guy, or I think it's better than this guy, because honestly, it doesn't matter. As long as you end up in the right place, in the right fit, everything can go right for you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the two biggest boxes for me you have to check the running back position is reliability and consistency. You have both of that. I think you owned this one game in your career and the freshman year and then three straight thousand yard seasons kind of kind of speak to those two things. And being you know, keeping your body in shape, but also being ready on game day.
Speaker 19: I mean, their ability is the best ability you have, you know, being available on the field, and it just it's a lot of working taking care of your body. You know, I spend about three to four hours every day working on my body and just because I play a grueling position. You have to stay right, you have to be fresh for game day and consistency. I just think that's a product of my work. You know, each off season, I'm finding new ways to get better. You know, I'll never get satisfied in my work just because I know I can get better on certain things. And that's what's helped me, you know, because guys have known my name in the Big twelve five places my freshman year, so you know, it makes that even harder. You can't sneak up on anybody, and can't, especially with us growing as a team. You have to always find a way to get better, and I think I found ways to get better each and every season.
Speaker 7: So much of the senior Boat process is not just going on the field and showing NFL scouts that you can do, but going in those interview rooms too and talking to teams. Have you met with the Dallas Cowboys yet?
Speaker 4: Briefly?
Speaker 8: I did, you know?
Speaker 19: I actually juked with mister Vaughan just because I'm good friends with Deuce.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Yeah, So it was funny just talk with them a little bit. There was more background information. We talked a little bit of ball, but I have met with them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, there's a bunch of k you guys on this staff, luckily enough, so I love it.
Speaker 7: But I got some backing. What was that conversation, Like, mean, you mentioned background, but some of the ball stuff. What did they tell you? They give you any feedback, what they liked about you, things like that.
Speaker 19: No, it was more of just you know, understand, like they want to see how much I know football?
Speaker 8: And you know, I think a lot.
Speaker 19: Of this process is they want to see it can a guy adapt to a scheme?
Speaker 8: Does he know scheme? Does he know defenses? You know? And those are all traits I bring.
Speaker 19: I think off the field, people don't understand like I bring a really smart perspective of the game. Like I understand the game and understand you know, coverages, I understand backer line, now, I understand d line front. So I just understand so much. And it's so smart when it comes to that. And it's an underrated theme because it just helps you play faster.
Speaker 3: And you continue to take those steps forward. I thought one thing that you.
Speaker 2: Said there was interesting. How quickly you remember the one game that you missed your freshman year. Does that eat at you a little? Bit if you were to miss time in the NFL, because, like you said, it's a grueling sport and a grueling position.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Man, I want to be on the field. You know, I'm a competitor.
Speaker 19: I love playing this game, and you know, I'm really detail oriented, so I know a lot of things, you know, especially in my past, is understand and like a, I did miss that game because of injury, but I truly believe it's because I was too small, and you know, I just kind of got thrown into fire my last year or my freshman year, and you know, it is what it is. Though you know, I enjoyed I learned so much from that season and it helped propel me into my career, so.
Speaker 2: It certainly did. You also mentioned that you spend four to five hours a day or three to four hours a day working on your body. Just give us an example, what is a normal day in the life.
Speaker 19: Of Devin Neil leading up to this draft process, Like, ooh, right now, or when I'm in the facility, in the facility, let's let's talk about it. Yeah man, I mean I'll just spend like a lot of time stretching, rolling out, and then you know, there's a little less at the facility I'm working at, you know, in fort Lerdale, but you know at KU. You know, we have a cryo chamber, we have cold toes, we have hotels, we have normal texts, we have accupunt we have so much stuff. And you know, whatever they allowed me to do, I'm gonna do just to make sure, hey, this body parts was good. Let's move on the next one and just make sure you know, everything's feeling good so I can go into the practice feeling fresh. And you know one thing I love about coach Leipol, He's all about, you know, guys feeling fresh for the next day. He didn't want to beat guys up too much and have us be there till nine pm. And we have we practiced in the morning, so we're working up at five. So we wanted a good a good turnaround of just rest and recovery. And so I'll spend a lot of time doing a lot of different things just to make sure you, like I said, to feel good.
Speaker 7: Last year at Kansas, you go from an andy cold, nicky offense to coach Sebrowski's scheme. What was that transition like for you and what did you learn from those two to kind of make you that versatile all round back.
Speaker 19: Yeah, I mean going from coach K and it was actually coach Grimes.
Speaker 8: Coach Z just got hired as.
Speaker 7: A oh okay, my fault Coach Grimes.
Speaker 8: But you know, it was hard for us.
Speaker 19: And I think you can kind of see that early on in film on the transition because you know, you see what Penn State's doing. Coach K, that's a lot of what we did, you know, and just the two back.
Speaker 8: Stuff being really versatile commentary football.
Speaker 19: And you know, you just had to get used to more of a wide zone attack and more downhill attack with him, and I just didn't think we found our identity till late, you know, And it was hard. But you know, he taught me a lot of things. He's coached a lot of good running backs coach out of this year, and you know it just helped propel me understand blocking assignment's gap scheme and different things like that. So he really helped me and you know, gave me a different outlook and looking at how to run the football.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the winde zone downhill stuff, I feel like it is kind of taking an increase in importance, especially if you look back at this last year in the NFL, just because Saquon, Derrick Henry, all these guys being able to kind of, uh, you know, erupt in this past season, which kind of year evaluation. As far as the run game in the NFL and where it's at right now.
Speaker 19: I love where it's at. Honestly, I feel like it's still undervalued. It's so undervalued. You know, what a running back can bring to a team, you know, Like you said, you can see what's sake one. You see goose eyes like Derrick Henry. You can also see early on with you know, forty nine ers running backs, you know, and.
Speaker 8: It's just so in vital we do everything.
Speaker 19: We're the only other position in the field has to know what the quarterback knows, you know, And I think it's so vital to your team and it can bring so much value and help you win games.
Speaker 8: So I just love where it's at.
Speaker 19: I love where it's going, and you know, I hope we keep finding more ways to value the running back well.
Speaker 2: And there's of course a lot of value in the running back in Dallas to a team that's on the clock looking for a running back throughout this draft class.
Speaker 3: Emittt Smith.
Speaker 2: You've got Tony dor Sat, Yeah, the greats that have run the ball in Dallas.
Speaker 3: What would it mean to be a part of that Liney.
Speaker 19: And yeah, I mean it would be special for me, and not only that, you know, specially just to play for you know, such a remarkable, you know, organization that's known everywhere, you know, and you know, I've always watched the Cowboys and just understand, you know, I was a big Ezekiel Elliott fan growing up, and you know, just everything like that.
Speaker 8: And yeah, it would be special to play for them, for sure.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it.
Speaker 2: Devin, Thanks so much for taking some time. Good luck for the rest of the week, you sir. Thank you running back from Kansas joining us on the Draft Show. We'll be right back with more right after this.
Speaker 20: I'm Darren with the former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Laser Care Eye Center and doctor G talked about all the options thanks to technology and Laser Care Eye Center. I can see near far in between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 21: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay the team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and odes with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 15: Today.
Speaker 1: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect.
Speaker 11: Here, big news.
Speaker 10: We just dropped our very.
Speaker 9: Own dude Perfect smoothie with Smoothie King. We as strong. It's my recipe.
Speaker 11: Technically, we all came up with it.
Speaker 6: Kobe.
Speaker 9: I mean you put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that. Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I was want to say that, Oh that that was funny, honey, thank you.
Speaker 9: Anyways, give the dude perfect smoothie only at Smoothie King My Smoothie.
Speaker 17: How about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets. As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets pat along with all our other favorite Tyson Foods products, sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day star just like our Cowboys as you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Welcome back into the Draft Show, presented by Miller Light, the only beer of the Dallas Cowboys taste you can depend on. We've got another special guest here a part of Reese's Senior Bowl Week. We've got our j Harvey running back from uc F Central Florida. You were born and raised in Orlando, got to play there with UCF and the Knights. I mean, what was that whole process like, getting to play in your hometown and how cool was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah? It was great.
Speaker 22: It was a blessing for me. You know, all my family. They were able to come out to the games.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 22: I used to have like over twenty people come out every game, every home game.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was.
Speaker 3: It was big for them.
Speaker 22: You know, my mom and dad, they never missed a game, so I had a great support system.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 22: It was convenient for like forty minutes from my house growing up, and I could go back and forth. I used to go back and forth probably like every every Sunday, spend time with them, And yeah, it was just a blessing.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 22: Every A lot of guys don't get that opportunity, no.
Speaker 3: Doubt about that.
Speaker 2: But you have an opportunity here to go up against some of the best of the draft class and take your game to the next level. What made you ready for this moment during your time at.
Speaker 22: UC, Yeah, just hard work and dedication, you know. You know I tore my ACL on the twenty twenty one and but.
Speaker 4: That was before I even.
Speaker 3: Touched the field.
Speaker 22: You know, I've been in college since twenty nineteen, but I didn't touch the field. I didn't touch the field playing running back until twenty twenty two. That was really my first year, like actually playing against another opponent.
Speaker 8: But yeah, it was.
Speaker 22: It was a tough transition, but you know, just I put my head down and just learned from all my coaches and my the vets that were in the in the running back room. They were great guys, and they taught me a lot, taught me what they did to get better. I just took all that information in and continue to stack days and eventually I got to where I am now.
Speaker 6: Whenever you did touch the field, production came with it. Over fourteen hundred yards last year, we're fifteen hundred this past season. Where would you say your production is a credit to?
Speaker 22: Uh, just a lot of a lot of studying, a lot of film film work, getting one of the ones with my position coach, and getting extra work in with the other running backs and quarterbacks, and uh, just yeah, just putting in a lot of work on my own training, doing a lot of agility drills, trying to work with my junk cuts, getting better at my jump cuts.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just trying to get faster.
Speaker 8: Just just a whole lot lot.
Speaker 6: We were talking with Devin Neil about this a little bit earlier. This is such a good running back class, and uh, there's guys that could go six seventh round that maybe in any other draft they'd probably be fourth fifth. Yeah, I know you can kind of suffer from comparison and comparing yourself to other guys. How can you kind of stay locked into what you have going on to be the best version of R. J. Harvey at the end of the day.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I just I don't. I don't really try to worry about anybody else. You know, all these guys, you know, we all got the same dream and aspiration and go to the NFL, and uh, I never hate them.
Speaker 4: Those guys.
Speaker 22: You know, all these running backs that I've met here, they all cool, Ali, Devin, who else, Trevor Uh, all the guys that I'm with, Marcus uh, quiz, every every running back.
Speaker 3: Just naming off these guys like this. That's pretty impassive.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 22: And me and Risha Smith we real roommates, so we were getting a lot. We're both type right now. So and you know, he's a Florida boyd too, so I can, I can I can relate to him.
Speaker 4: So Yeah.
Speaker 7: A lot of this process too, is you know, not always showing ounce what you can do on the field at these practices in the game, setting but going in meeting with NFL teams and NFL front offices and management, what have those meetings been like? And have you met with the Dallas Cowboys yet? Is that somebody had a conversation with and if you did have that conversation, go.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I pretty much met with pretty much every team honestly, but yeah, definitely Dallas. I feel like that that interview it really went will you know they it smiles on their faces, So I'm pretty serial and will Yeah.
Speaker 7: That's always a good first step in those interview settings. And if you can remember with Dallas, what were some of the things that you know, front offices or general managers or scouts have said to you in terms of your game, maybe what you can do better? Things like that.
Speaker 22: Yeah, they they told me they liked me a lot. They love my film, you know, they like the fact that I can make something out of nothing. They they know I'm fast, I can I can run somebody over. But yeah, definitely I told them and they they already knew that.
Speaker 8: I definitely got to work on.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 22: Past protection is something that uh uh, I'm focusing on. That's going to be a focus today when we go against the linebackers and uh uh yeah, pretty much path protection and make sure ball security is keep it high and tight.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that NFL teams covered about this week is also the.
Speaker 3: NFL style of practice that they do run during these Senior Bowl practices.
Speaker 2: How does that compare to some of the practices and sessions that you had during your time at UCF and and the way that you trained in Orlando.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I feel like the way that we practice at UCF, it pretty much prepared us for how we're practicing now.
Speaker 4: You know, here, we.
Speaker 22: Didn't get at UCF, we got a couple of breaks in between practices. You know, we were in Florida, you know is hot every practice, but here we didn't get any breaks. But I feel I feel great. I feel yesterday I was out there feeling good for sure.
Speaker 6: The state of the run game in the NFL, what's kind of your perspective of it and how do you think you fit into it at the next level.
Speaker 22: I feel like Quan there him, I feel like they really like you know, running back, running back. Everybody. A lot of people they overlook the running back position, and I feel like what ta Quan and Derrick Henry did this year. They really made people realize like, oh yeah, to make an offense run like, to be successful, you need to have a great running game. And yeah, I feel like there's gonna be a lot of running backs drafted this year.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be a lot even younger, smaller guys like Bucky Irving coming out last year obviously in Florida. Uh did you grow up a Bucketeers fan?
Speaker 22: Uh?
Speaker 3: Me and my family with Dolphins fans.
Speaker 6: Okay, okay, I was just curious about but Bucky Irving being a younger, smaller guy, I mean, how much influence do you take off that? Do you kind of see yourself in a similar role with the next levels Bucky?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I definitely. I love his game.
Speaker 4: You know, me and him we pretty much similar.
Speaker 3: You know, he wore he's wearing.
Speaker 22: Number seven, so he kind of looks like me back there, I feel like, but I love his game. Uh, you know, he went in as Ricky just made an impact quick and I love that about him.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: The Dolphins have their own identity too in the backfield because they've gotten guys like.
Speaker 3: Eight Chan and they've got most of it, which is just pure speed.
Speaker 2: Where do you feel like your your speed compares to the NFL level.
Speaker 22: Yeah, I feel like I have pretty much pretty good, pretty good speed.
Speaker 8: I know I'm tess well in the forty.
Speaker 3: What it's testing well for you? What are you trying to hit?
Speaker 4: I want to hit. I want to hit.
Speaker 22: My goal is to hit a four to three. But I know for sure I hit a four four. Okay, yep, that's good.
Speaker 7: We're wrapping up the first day of practice yesterday. You get to go up against some pretty good defensive tackles too. It's a good defensive tackle group here. How do you feel like you played against them? And if you're you know, thinking back on practice yesterday, where do you feel like you did and didn't do well?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 8: That defensive line, that defer line group, they had some dogs.
Speaker 4: But just.
Speaker 22: Getting used to this pro style offense, you know, we you see if we never did any type of under center, any type of under the center formasons or plays and just you know that that footwork that you need to that you need at the running back position. It is different getting the ball than getting it out of gun. So I just got to get used to that and today should be a way better day for.
Speaker 2: Sir all right, well, RJ, we're gonna let you go. We know it's a busy day of practice ahead of you. Good luck for the rest of the week, and of course we'll hear your name coming up on in April. Can't wait to do so.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you. R J.
Speaker 2: Harvey from UCF joining us here on the Draft Show. When we come back, we're gonna preview day two of practice here in Mobile and talk about some of these other prospects that have shown out already here in Alabama.
Speaker 3: More to come right after this.
Speaker 9: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect here, big news. We just dropped our very own Dude Perfect Smoothie with Smoothie King.
Speaker 10: We as strong. It's my recipe.
Speaker 11: Technically, we all came up with it. Kobe, I need you put.
Speaker 9: A potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that. Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food perfect.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I was on to say that, Oh that that was funny. Oh honey.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Anywayski the dude Perfect Smoothie only at Smoothie King My smoothie all right.
Speaker 13: Drew Pearson, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer. Here if you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw ahell Mary, go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 14: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see check.
Speaker 13: Them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you.
Speaker 8: Hood Hoo.
Speaker 15: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 17: As they snapped the press, guy who looks right, it's not there.
Speaker 1: He escaped left.
Speaker 3: He'll look for a first style.
Speaker 16: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, selling trade crypto currency.
Speaker 17: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 16: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 3: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 16: Get started at blockchain dot com Cowboys fans.
Speaker 18: When it comes to navigating the ever changing world of tax, your business needs a partner it can trust to tackle even your biggest tax challenges. Ryan is the largest firm in the world dedicated exclusively to business taxes. Our team of tax professionals has local expertise in all areas of tax and can help you uncover savings opportunities you didn't know you had. Learn more about how Ryan can improve your overall corporate tax performance by visiting.
Speaker 6: Ryan dot com.
Speaker 18: Ryan, the official tax partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: Things continue to roll on here from Mobile, Alabama in the twenty twenty five Reese's Senior Bowl as we've got our next guest here on the Draft Show, presented by Miller lite Ole Miss defensive lineman Walter joining us here on the Draft Show. Walter, First off, your presence is felt whether you're walking in the room or whether you're on the grid iron. We saw you from Afar yesterday, even wrote about you on the website a little bit yesterday as well.
Speaker 3: How do you feel like that first day went?
Speaker 23: You know, I feel like it was a pretty good foundation. You know, I came here to show my consistent gross and I just want to show people that my consistent like just building up every day.
Speaker 2: And you were talking about the before we got on air here about being tired of double teams. You saw some double teams yesterday. I mean you worked through a couple of them. I mean, what's this competition level been like for you?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 23: I mean, now it's just quote unquote the best of the best. So it's probably a little harder double team, but it ain't Dohne there, I ain't scared of the Yeah.
Speaker 6: As far as having a target on your back, I mean you've had that since you were in high school number one overall recruit coming out going into Texas A and M having an early presence there. How have you kind of adjusted to being the guy and being the number on the field that people look at?
Speaker 23: And I love it, you know, I feel like they kind of bring more out of me, Like I want the eggs on my back, honesty, and I feel like because if I got somebody coming after me, it's gonna make me go hard and honesty.
Speaker 6: So as far as speed of power, how much have you influenced that within your game over the course of your college career and being able to maximize that because I think when it comes to a short area quickness and turning that into hand power and upper body leverage, I think you're one of the best in this class at it. How would you say you've grown in that department?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 23: Really, just you know, at first I win the best to speed the power, but they're really just trying to make people feel my get off so I can set that up, you know. You know, just it been. I feel like I done got better at it ever since I started.
Speaker 7: So when you look at this defensive tackle class, a lot of people talk about Mason Graham and yourself and Dion Walker. What separates you from the rest of them and what makes you the special defensive tackle in this class in your opinion?
Speaker 23: I mean, just turn the tape on. Honestly, I feel like I'm smaller than both of them, and I get mold double and trivia team in both of them, So I feel like they kind of speak for itself. You know, I ain't here to talk down to nobody. They both great players. I just feel like I'm better, Honestly, that's.
Speaker 2: The elite competitor side though, right, You just you're always gonna think you're you're you're better, but you have certainly put it on tape and put it on film. As I said, there's a lot of buffs that watch here on the Draft show and the film and they.
Speaker 3: Love what you do. When you talk about that defensive.
Speaker 2: Line at Old Miss, you guys had so much success and even the Cowboys have dipped into that with Sam Williams over the last couple of years. I mean, what's it been like being a part of that program and the guys around you that have helped elevate your game.
Speaker 4: Really just the culture that they got over there.
Speaker 23: You know, there's really a player led team and out one that was kind of a first for me. You know, it was fun, you know, they try make everything fun. It was really like it really you could really feel the love and the family in the area for the most part.
Speaker 6: That's what the Texas A and M signing class that you were a part of. Obviously, there was a lot of big expectations, big hopes for that and all those guys that that you entered with, I know, y'all were all super close. You know, not everything works out in this game obviously, What would you say about the time at Texas A and M kind of shaped your experience as a football player, not only on the field, but off the field, and just kind of learning how the business works at the end of the day too.
Speaker 23: You know it, I kind of got a little taste of it early, and we ain't had a season that we wanted a lot of players live and as you kind of you kind of see that in the league all the time after the season and you could see a complete different team. I feel like the transfer portal kind of open it up for all the college athletes to kind of get an early taste of what was going on in the league. You know I kind of I kind of felt like we were gonna go get it all. But like I said, I feel like we just couldn't really get like a steady culture going on. I feel like I don't regret it, but I just feel like we could have got there going a little bit better.
Speaker 6: But you still tapping with guys like samar here right, and and guys you were a part of.
Speaker 23: Yea, I talk everybody, only people don't talk through probably the coding.
Speaker 4: Is that about it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, so much of the senior boat process, not just you know, going out on the field and showing scouts that you can do there, but going in those meeting rooms and interviewing with teams to start. Have you talked with the Dallas Cowboys at all? And if you have, what have those conversations been like?
Speaker 4: No, actually I haven't.
Speaker 23: I might talk to them today, you never know, you know, I'm just I'm just blessed to be here. If they want to talk to me, I'm thankful, you know, Jesus.
Speaker 4: Let me know.
Speaker 7: With the teams, with the teams that you have spoken to, what have those conversations been like, And what are some of the things that they've told you, whether it be how to improve your game, what they like about you, how they how you fit into their scheme, things like that.
Speaker 23: Honestly, it's just been a kind of get I really just it meant to kind of like just get to know Walt. You know, waltch you knowa honestly, you know, I don't really get on a lot of interviews or do a lot of media stuff. So really just giving people a chance to actually get to know me as a person instead of just having the helmet on.
Speaker 7: So pull the curtain back for us a little bit. What's Walter Nolan like off the field? Who is Walter Nolan?
Speaker 4: I'm just a laid back guy. You know. I'd be out the way, I'll be killing chill.
Speaker 3: What's your what's your big hobby outside of football?
Speaker 4: Oh? I've been on the video game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what are you playing?
Speaker 23: I'd be playing College Duty, n C double a Man, all that good stuff.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 2: Do you always play as old miss whenever you're playing college football?
Speaker 4: Yes? And no.
Speaker 23: It just be like sometimes our old line will pissed me off and right.
Speaker 4: No, I ain't never. I ain't playing with Tennessee on that ever.
Speaker 2: Who are some of the better players you've gone up against throughout your career, because, like you said, you've been a part of two great programs, two great defensive UH units. Who are some of the offensive guys you've gone up against in the past.
Speaker 23: Really, I won't got to guard him, but Evan Stewart he nicely.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 23: I feel like he a technician with them feet out there on the out there on the island. Tyler Booker, you know we've been having battles since high school. Like you said, Will Campbell, Emery Jones. I mean, the list can go on forever. But like I was saying, I feel like every player, especially in their own way. You know, every time you go against somebody is you're gonna always get it like a different It's something different every time.
Speaker 2: If you had one game to point out and say, if you're gonna watch my film, this is the game that I'm most proud of, what would that game be.
Speaker 23: I really just say watch the watch the L s U game, or just really just just pick a game. For the most part, I just feel like you can see my competitiveness and my eager to win in all my games, and you know, I just say, hey, there's you, just because I played through a lot of double teams and triple teams, and you.
Speaker 4: Know, it's crazy.
Speaker 23: At the end of the season, I'm just starting to see all the pictures of triple team just popping up on Twitter.
Speaker 4: So it's been kind of fun to see that too.
Speaker 2: No doubt, this is a defensive front in Dallas that has some talent on and of course Michael Parsons leading the way in that category.
Speaker 3: I mean, what would mean or what would it mean to you to be a part.
Speaker 2: Of that unit and to play alongside along a lot of those guys.
Speaker 23: You know, I feel like me and Michael Parson probably got the same mindset going into the going into the football, going into football, and I feel like if they were to put us together, who knows what happened with me on the inside of him on the outside, you wouldn't be able to come that way.
Speaker 4: For sure.
Speaker 6: You got anybody in the league that you model your game after.
Speaker 4: Well he not in the league no more, but Aaron Donald.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, that's a good one for sure. Walter Nolan joining us here from Old Miss, the defensive lineman here a part of Senior Bowl weekend Mobile. Walter, thanks for taking some time. We really appreciated. Good luck along the way. We're cheering for you, and good luck however things land in the NFL draft.
Speaker 4: And thank you. Thanks, I appreciate you. I've having all right.
Speaker 2: We've got more of the Draft show coming up right after this radio row here at the Reese's Senior Bowl.
Speaker 20: I'm Darren Woos, the former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting older, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and Doctor G talked about all the options.
Speaker 6: Thanks to technology and Laser.
Speaker 20: Care Eye Center, I can see near far in between. Don't fumble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center, they got me back on my game.
Speaker 21: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay a team hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and od's with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package.
Speaker 15: Today.
Speaker 11: Here we go, Tyler from Dude Perfect.
Speaker 9: Here, big news. We just dropped our very own Dude Perfect Smoothie with Smoothie King.
Speaker 10: We as strong. It's my recipe.
Speaker 11: Technically we all came up with it.
Speaker 6: Kobe, I mean.
Speaker 9: You put a potato in yours. I was experimenting how we picked up on that. Guys, this is fruit smoothie perfection. I even heard it recently quoted that it was food.
Speaker 12: Perfect Yeah, I was on who said that? Oh that was funny, Puney.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Anyways, give the dude perfect smoothie only at Smoothie King My Smoothie.
Speaker 17: How about them Cowboys or how about them Tyson Cowboys Nuggets? As we cheer for the stars on the field, we love that we've also got some stars on our plate thanks to Tyson Brands star shaped Cowboys Nuggets that, along with all our other favorite Tyson foods, sure make game day special. Score some delicious Tyson Cowboys Nuggets and become a game day star, just like our Cowboys as you enjoy your stars on and off the plate. Remember, tailgates and game day have always been Tyson.
Speaker 1: Is The Dallas Cowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 2: All right back here on radio row Reese's Senior Bowl twenty twenty five in Mobile, Alabama. Nick Harris, Tommy Yarish, I'm Kyle Yeoman's uh great catching up again.
Speaker 3: With these prospects.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of our viewership wants to hear about the breakdown of the Senior Bowl and the film and all this stuff. But it is an opportunity, just like the teams that are in Mobile this week, to get to know these guys at a different level. So I always appreciate getting to talk to them and kind of hear their side of the story.
Speaker 6: I like both of the backs. Both were fun. I have both the old miss guys too, But I mean, this is this running back class. I know we've talked about it at nauseum, where you are going to continue to talk about it ad nauseum. It's a good year to need a running back. I'll say that. And I was actually obviously here in Mobile at Senior Bowl. There's a lot that, you know, a lot of conversations you find yourself in at night, and there's a lot of conversations about Rico Daddle's free agent market and what exactly that will look like. Does it get to a point to where, since this free agent class is not as strong at the running back position, even not even just last year, because last year was super special, but even going back for probably like the past half decade, there's not a lot of guys that are hitting free agency right now. So does Rico Daddle have an inflated market as a result of that, and does he kind of out out, you know, shoot his coverage as far as the Cowboys trying to get him back on the payroll. So if that's the case, then you can make the case for double divving at the running back position in this draft. You know, go get one in the first two three rounds and then get another one on Day three, or get a really talented undrafted guy. There are going to be a very talented undrafted guys at the running back position in this class. So you know, talking to two of these guys today, two guys that have a ton of production.
Speaker 22: R J.
Speaker 6: Harvey the only one of those two that had any sort of injury in his in his career, but he's bounced back in a severe way since then. It's gonna be fun tracking this running back position. It was good to speak to both of those guys.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it was, and I really liked to I love Walter Nolan. I think I stood on the table for him a little while ago on the Draft show, and talking to him today made me feel a lot better about it too. I love the competitive fire that he's got and he's played like what I impressed what impressed me the most was how Nick you brought it up. He was the number one player in his high school class. When he entered the transfer portal, he was the number one player in the transfer portal. He talked about how he's kind of had that X on his back his entire career, and he's been double team, triple team. I asked him when he came up to us before we started, I was like, how tired are you are?
Speaker 3: Double teams?
Speaker 7: He's just like man, And you see him, he's like, man, you know we we thought we would have had more one on ones, and I faced more doubles yesterday than anything. So he's a guy who draws the attention and with that it opens things up. So when you look at how he could fit in Dallas, Man, if you've got a double Walter Nolan, then if you bring Olso Dicky Zua back, that's one less guy he's got to worry about. It's one less guy that Michael Parsons has to worry about on the outside. So when you combine those guys together, I mean, it's gonna be hard for opposing defenses. And Walter talked about it at the end of our interview. He was like, that could be pretty special.
Speaker 6: I'm with you, Tommy. I think he's gonna be a really good pro. It's not only the size, but we're gonna we'll dive into practice notes from yesterday, but yesterday, the speed to power stuff is so impressive. Yeah, And it's a short area of quickness, like he'll give a little bit of room, he'll give up a little bit of room on the line of scrimmage to his opposition, but he turns that into that short area of quickness and he just leverages it into that upper body power and it's so impressive. And you saw him use that to get around and through guys yesterday. You see him do it at Texas A and m All miss in high school back in Tennessee. He's a really impressive player. I think he's gonna be a great pro.
Speaker 2: Not comparing them as players, even though they do play on the defensive line. But the first thing when he started speaking on the headset today, it threw me back to when we were talking to Micah Parsons during the draft process. Same kind of cadence and same kind of competitive nature and the way that he was looking ahead and looking at his film and the guys around him in the confidence level too.
Speaker 3: I mean, he just exudes confidence.
Speaker 2: And that's what it threw me back to whenever we would sit down for these thirty visits and have an interview with these prospects.
Speaker 3: Micah was one of those guys.
Speaker 2: Wasn't the best on a headset, but you could tell that there was just something there. Same kind of thing with Walter Nolan that that we talked about a little bit earlier, and he had that competitive edge. Like you said, let's dive into practice. National team was up first on the week. They started yesterday Hancock Whitney Stadium on the campus of South Alabama. Some of your initial thoughts, I'll start with you, Tommy, on what you saw in that first practice and who stood out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, my favorite player yesterday was Oregon linebacker Jeffrey Bassa. I thought he was pretty phenomenal just athletically. He was the fastest guy there yesterday from the linebackers and tight ends group. He ran over twenty miles an hour and that closing speed to me and the one on ones the rep that I saw I put it on Twitter. He went up against Donovan Edwards, and Donovan Edwards known for his speed at every level, one of the faster running backs in this class, and he tracked him down down the sideline and Brooklyn pass. It wasn't there's a late throw. Edward still beat him. But the fact that he was able to make up three or four ground three or four yards of ground to be able to be in the vicinity to make that play was impressive to me. And then you watched him in the eleven on eleven period. I thought he filled his gaps well, played good against the run, and they sent him out. He looked like a corner in some of these reps when he's going out and covering these tight ends and these running backs in that full team practice period. So listed at six one and twenty six pounds seventy eight inch wingspan, I thought he was fantastic. And then flipping it out of the offensive side. Ariante Orsire one of the guys we talked about extensively on the Draft show already from Minnesota, the offensive tackle. I know, Walchuk and Broadest we're talking about, how you know, maybe those feed are a little bit slow, and I don't think that that concern is nullified completely. I think that's a very valid concern. You've got to keep an eye on that. But his just pure strength yesterday, and that's what we talked about on the Draft show too, how he's just able to keep guys in front of him, extend those arms and keep him out of the backfield. I thought he was phenomenal. And we talked to him a little bit too after practice and he and he was great just as a just as a person and a great character.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you asked him how to say his name, how.
Speaker 7: To pronounce the name. He was like, it is like Ariante, like the air we bre it. He had the hand motion too. It was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: He was great.
Speaker 4: He was phenomenal.
Speaker 3: Good dude.
Speaker 7: But yeah, so you just just overpowered guys is what stood out to me for Mercenary. One of the better tackles we saw in one on one. So again, not to say that the slow feet aren't a concern. I think brought us in. Wolf Chick have a point there, but the power stood out to me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think for me yesterday, I'll back up what you had on bossa man. He looks like a million bucks. Talk about his physical stature. If you're talking about an all lobby team, you know you see the guys walk through the lobby, Who's the most impressive. I think Bossa had probably the most impressive build of anyone I saw, just for what he is pound for pound. My overall MVP yesterday on Day one. Another Oregon Duck was Josh Connery, the offensive tackle for the Ducks. He I think coming into this process you probably would have seen him go late first round, made the early second round dog. I'm starting to start the OT one agenda. This is he had an incredible day yesterday. I've had I've had experience evaluating Connory going back to his high school days at Seattle O Day, and I think what he does best is the upper the upper body power and strength, and he's marrying that so well now here later in his career with his movement at the tackle position. He didn't have one loss yesterday and one on ones and whenever they put the guys in the middle of the field that have been dominating for most of the day at the end of practice, he continued to do that.
Speaker 2: U C.
Speaker 6: L A Edge Olowa femi Oha Dajo he probably had the better day of the edges for the national team yesterday and he went up against Connory and Connory just stonewalled him. What the notes that I had yesterday? Dominated one on one reps against both speed and power guys. He was getting sought out by guys on a hot streak and he stopped them in their track. Super impressive day. And I'm cooking up the OT one agenda for for Josh Connery. But looking at some other guys.
Speaker 2: Is that OT one of gen Day's That's something that is possible in a draft like this because I think so We had already talked about the offensive tackles on this show previously, and the general consensus is that there's not a far and away number one. I know, Kelvin Banks is probably the favorite in that clubhouse from Texas to maybe be that first offensive tackle taken, maybe Will Campbell from LSU. But it's not like it's a foregone conclusion that those guys are the top of the top.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and it's not a foregone conclusion that those guys are tackles too. I think I think there's a conversation to be had there. I think Connorly went from that late first round, early second round to a cemented top fifteen, top eighteen pick yesterday day. I think so and we saw a similar type of rise for Quanyon Mitchell last year, which was a guy that I think on the defensive side of all that had a very similar day to Quanyon yesterday. We'll get that here in a bit, but we saw that with Kuanyon Mitchell last year where it was like, Okay, this guy comes from a small school, we're taking early second round. And then he dominated both days and it was really actually the second day for Quanyon that really kind of stamped it for him. He would be one of the first defensive backs taken, and he ended up being the first defensive back taken. So I think Josh Connelly had a very similar day. I mean, he looks great. I don't think he has any bad weight. He has great movement, he has great power, he's a great punch. This is a really talented player, comes from a talented pedigree from where he came from in Seattle. This is a dude. You would want to buy stock on it. The stock might already be high, but I say continue to buy stock. Looking at some other guys really quick, Mike Green, I think he does indeed have those length limitations. Whenever you see that on the field, it certainly does show up, but his explosiveness is craftiness switch it really makes up for it. We talked to him yesterday in the Draft show too. Yeah, absolutely phenomenal. Ben Elijah Royo the Miami tight end. He's a Frisco native, and.
Speaker 3: I'll talk about absolutely.
Speaker 2: He met my MVP yesterday and what he brought to the table from a receiving element was a little bit of a surprise for me. I knew he was a great blocker. That was what I kind of went into it knowing. Of course, he's a Frisco product to call his games in high school with Frisco independence, and he was a great receiver.
Speaker 1: In high school.
Speaker 2: Had some trouble putting production up early in Miami, but got better as his career went along. Yesterday he was torching people. Yeah, he was absolutely torching linebackers. They switched to nickel on him a couple times, didn't matter. He was still able to find separation. There was one play in team drills. After just dominating the one on one session, there was one playing team drills.
Speaker 3: He leaked out as like a late release.
Speaker 2: He kind of worked up the sideline on an out and up and then as he did so, he had maybe five yards of separation. Dylan Gabriel, quarterback for the national team, hesitated, kind of kept it in the pocket, was staring him down the whole time. If he put that ball on the money and timed it up perfectly, it would have been.
Speaker 3: Six all day every day. And it was from about the.
Speaker 2: Forty five yard line in so Arroyo had the best day out of any pass catcher that I saw in both practices.
Speaker 3: From my opinion.
Speaker 2: And it was a tight end and I think that goes a long way, especially when you pair it with what he can do as a blocker, and his sizes is soliditudes, got some great length, got some good good arm strength as well. I like what Elijah Royo did yesterday from the tight end position.
Speaker 3: Not that I know.
Speaker 2: We've talked about are the Cowboys interested in a tight end?
Speaker 3: Are they not?
Speaker 2: We'll decide that really moving forward. He was really impressive on day one.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think another pass catcher that really shined yesterday, another Oregon Duck. We're just gonna continue to talking about him, TEDS. Johnson. Yeah, out of the slot man. You talk about his shiftness, his ability to create separation, it was certainly there. I'm just gonna run through some quick notes really quick. Donovan Zi Ruaku the Boston College Edge really loved his LinkedIn size. I kind of had some questions coming into mobile about his siyes. I think I talked about it on the show a little bit yesterday. He's plenty long, He's just fine. He's physical and explosive in his pass rush. He's a depth at seeking out the off script stunts, like when he misses on his first guy, and he will find a way to kind of get that off script stunt going a nice peoples. I know this is one that Tommy shouted out on Twitter yesterday. Had a great day in the run game from the three tech spot. I think, you know, I think he specializes in the pass rush, but seeing him take that step in the run game was really awesome. Yesterday I talked about oh the day ho the UCLA edge man, he flashed multiple times, talk about speed, talk about length. He's got both of those things. I think for him, it was really impressive. And then the later afternoon practice for the American team, my MVP was corner Kentucky cornerback Maxwell Harriston. Nothing out in the way of him. He matched up against speed and physical receivers. He dominated both quick out of his breaks, patient but decisive. Really love his hands of the line of scrimmage. I think he could play both press and zone schemes. I think he's going to be a guy that can be versatile at the next level. I like him as an outside corner, but I think you have versatility with a guy like Harriston talked to his trainer that's been working with him during the draft process after practice and what's been going in to his evaluation process and his draft process here early on. There's some really big excitement about him. It actually reminds me of another Kentucky corner last year, and Andrew Phillips. Whenever he was like, you know about a third fourth round mentioned around this time, and then eventually found himself to be a number thirty nine overall pick. I mean this is a special, special corner. I think T J. Sanders out of South Carolina as advertized, I mean, you talk about marrying power with Finesse out of the interior.
Speaker 2: Him and Walter on the offense or the defensive line together, it was awesome.
Speaker 6: We need to have a conversation about dian Walker. Yeah, and I think you know, you see the size, that's what is six seven, three fifty one and he's certainly got it. I mean this, I can I can verify, sources can verify this. Dude is very in fact, very large. He needs to get lower at the point of attack. And I think, I think if if he's able to do that, he's going to be impossible to defend. And I don't I don't think it's something that's unteachable at the next level. And I've seen a lot of criticism around Dion Walker for his pad level coming into the process, and yesterday was a really bad day for him in that category. Uh, he went up against the North Carolina Center. Gosh, I'm blanket Willie Lampkin five eleven then two seventy, so definitely a size difference, and he was stonewalling him. He was keeping Dion Walker in his place. There's no reason a guy eighty pounds lighter and almost eight inches shorter than him should be able to have that kind of strength advantage against him. And that's why if Dion Walker can figure out how to get off the line of scrimmage and get a lower up into his guys rather than kind of towering down, then I think he's going to be a really talented pro. If I were a team, I would take the chance on him, and I would take the chance on my coaching staff to be able to teach him to do that. You know, like, how confident are you in you or into your defensive line coaching to be able to say, Okay, can we teach this guy to do that? No, okay, we're not gonna draft him. Yes, let's do it. I'll take that risk. In the seconds.
Speaker 2: That's all the puzzle pieces, but they're all spread out on the table.
Speaker 3: Absolutely got to have somebody, the right person to come in and put it all together.
Speaker 6: I don't think this team has the luxury to do that. I'm talking about Cowboys. I don't think they have a luxury to do that right now. But if they did select him and maybe the third round, you wouldn't get a complain for me, kif no.
Speaker 7: I completely agree. I mean, I mean, I like TJ. Sanders more than Walker coming into this weekend. I'm in This is a guy that I know I talked about a little bit on the Draft show too. Just so smart and strong, you know, such a good job of diagnosing what the play is going to be really identifying where the ball carriers are getting into pursuit in the run game. At times that kind of bites him in the back, he gets taken out of the play. But yesterday it didn't I mean, and maybe that has to do partly with pleavn Walter Nolan. Next one, we mentioned the double and triple teams, but even regardless, I mean, in one on ones, you did a good job of shitting blocks getting into the backfield. Just so much power, so much quickness to explode into the backfield. And he weighed in and measured in pretty well. H So we'll move to the American team now that more national team notes. Okay, uh second American.
Speaker 3: Was the one that wanted us to go in chronological.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he did well. We're going off script.
Speaker 8: That's fine.
Speaker 7: Sticking on the defensive line. Two edge guys that stood out to me yesterday and we wrote about that. We're we're gonna put a pie us up on this on Dallas Cowboys dot com. We look at the notebook from yesterday Long Star showdown guys in Texas A and M Shamar Stewart and Texas's Baron Surrell. I'll start with Stewart He had the longest wingspan out of any edge rusher here in Mobile and the second was your guy from Boston College. So you talked about his length and that and what you're able to do. Stuart's one of those guys that at Texas A and M, I felt like the production wasn't necessarily there and you didn't get to see what he was at his best. Now, whether that's a Texas A and M issue or whether that's a Shamar Stewart issue, we'll see. But he had the rep of the day yesterday and he went up against a tackle from Forgive me for trying to figure out this Kansas Logan Brown, the tackle from Kansas, sixty six three hundred and twelve pound tackle from Kansas, and Shamar Stewart coming in at six five eighty one pounds. He just bull rushed him and picked him off the ground with his left hand I think it was, and just threw him back and just like kind of stood over him.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh boy, both oohs, and As was probably the quietest out of any and we were on the scouting side, so right that tells you something.
Speaker 3: Everybody on the scouting side was like, oh my gosh, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 7: He was just so powerful, so quick and just quick to get up there and get that bull rush started, and Brown didn't stand a chance, and so that that really impressed me. And then Baron Sorell from Texas. This is a guy that I watched for three years when I covered Texas, and I wasn't really wild at any point. Like, sure, he made his plays, but it wasn't a guy that I thought at the NFL level would necessarily be an attractive prospect. I thought he was better against the run in college and setting the edge for Texas, but he did really good in one on ones yesterday. I was very impressed and still showed a good job setting the edge. I think the play that I posted on Twitter, he gets past his guy and immediately just sticks his hand out to set the edge and make sure that he's in the right spot. So in one on one drills he impressed me too, So that both the edges from the state of Texas I thought, I thought did a pretty good job.
Speaker 2: That's a credit to Jim Nady and what he builds in terms of the staff here. Absolutely to scout these guys, because, like you said, the production may not have been there during his time in Texas.
Speaker 3: But the strength and the quickness that we saw off.
Speaker 2: The edge yesterday shows okay, he should be here because he stood out on day one as one of.
Speaker 3: The guys to really look forward to.
Speaker 2: Now, Nick, you kind of teased it a little bit. Quin Yon Mitchell had the meteoric rise. I guess, yep in last year's Senior Bowl week you had a similar prospect.
Speaker 3: Can I take a guess as to who it is or do you think I would get it?
Speaker 6: I said who it was already?
Speaker 4: You did?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Connor, Oh, I was gonna say Upton stop from Western, No.
Speaker 6: So I would maybe maybe you misheard me, my bad. It was more so like Quinnon Mitchell whenever he came here last year, he already had high expectations, but like he's cemented them. That's what I'm meaning about, Josh No. But I see what you're saying about Upton Stout, Please please Upton Spout Stout.
Speaker 3: Yesterday it was a rough day for the secondary.
Speaker 2: I thought across the board, outside of guys like Harston, and outside of guys like Upton Stout, who I thought had a great day yesterday, A couple of past breakups he was sticky in coverage. He was able to run the route almost for a couple of guys. Uh in that that one on one period, which.
Speaker 3: Is so tough on corners, especially at the collegiate level. You don't do that a whole lot in college practices.
Speaker 2: If anything, it's the high school showcase, and then you do it at the college showcase like we have this week, and then you barely get to do it in training camp as well throughout the NFL tenure. But that's a competition level too. He comes in here and he he had plenty of pass breakups along the way. I think he had to yesterday that I counted during the team period, and he had a couple of others where he just at least altered the pass or had a quarterback go away from it through the progression.
Speaker 3: Really good solid fluidity. I like the way his hips turn.
Speaker 2: He stays square to the ball, he stays square to the receiver and able to make some plays in that case. What did you see from Stout yesterday that impressed you out of Western Kentucky, by the way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think this is if you're talking about versatility pieces in the secondary and inside out, well we'll figure out what the Matt ever Flews defensive scheme exactly. You know prioritizes when it comes to defensive personnel. But if we look back to you know this, what this team has been over the course of the last five years, it's finding those versatile pieces. We talked about it yesterday on the show, and I think if if up In stouts a guy that's there for you on day three, I think he should be a Day two type guy. I will put probably a fourth round, third or fourth round great on him, just kind of to kind of where it had him as a fourth He's he's a guy that can play corner, he can play nickel, he can play safety. He's got experience at all three spots, and he has played big competition. Western Kentucky does load up in the non con and he has. They played Alabama in Tuscaloosa this past.
Speaker 2: Covered so Williams, who of course was the fab freshman for Alabama who had a great year. He covered Williams in that game multiple times.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Houston North Shore Products and started his career at North Texas goming green right here right here, but it's going to Western Kentucky. He really shined and he had an opportunity to hit the transfer portal this time last year and had some big time offers. I know those two big ten schools off off the top of my head that we're trying to get his services. He decided to stay home with the Hilltoppers and had a good year and now it's going to turn into a really good draft process for him. But if he can stack another day here, it's going to be big time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I did not want to put the first round grade on it, like a Quinnon Mitchell last year because that's not where he's at. He's more so just a rise in the mid rounds. Yeah, But I was thinking you were talking small school corners.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and that's where I was at.
Speaker 3: So I was waiting.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to bring it up, and you ended up doing it with Harston from Kentucky. So that makes a lot of sense in its own right. But lots more to come throughout the week. We've got more practice today, We're going to head over to the to Hancock Whitney Stadium very shortly watch both the national team and the American team get after it again.
Speaker 3: And then we've got more coverage.
Speaker 2: Coming to you on Dallas Cowboys dot Com, Nick Harris with the Fort Worth Star Telegram. Be sure to follow Tommy Yarish as well, Rising Star right two coins.
Speaker 6: Yeah, if we're talking about evaluating, we got a first round pick right here.
Speaker 2: Tommy Underscore, Yarish on Twitter, first year the senior Bolly's already doing a great job. And of course we had Will McClay yesterday talking to the media up there in Mobile. We expect to have somebody else from the front office today. I don't want to say who because we don't know who yet, but we expect to have somebody else speaking to the media today. Lots more to come from Mobile, Alabama. Want to thank Scott Purcell, Chris Beam forgetting us on the air, for Tommy Yarish, Nick Harris, and our entire group of guests that we had today, Walter Nolan from Ole Miss, Jared from Ole Miss as well, RJ. Harvey from UCF and Devin Neil from Kansas.
Speaker 3: Want to sign off. I'm Kyle Yeomans.
Speaker 2: We'll see you next time with more of the Draft show presented by Miller Lay.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys football Club