Speaker 1: Hello Sunshine, Hey fam Today on the bright Side, we're popping off on the biggest pop culture stories of the week with the host of ESPN's NBA Today, Melika Andrews. It's Friday, July nineteenth.
Speaker 2: I'm Simone Boyce, I'm Danielle Robe and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, a daily show where we come together to share women's stories, to laugh, learn and brighten your day.
Speaker 1: Danielle.
Speaker 3: Happy Friday, tgif Simone.
Speaker 1: So ready for the weekend, Danielle. But first we are popping off about Emmy nominations, pep talks from Rihanna, and whether we'd swipe right on the new Olympics logo.
Speaker 3: That's true. But before we go there, we want to spotlight our favorite moment of the week, brought to you by our friends at BMW. Yes.
Speaker 1: This week, we're celebrating a woman who is making history, the incredible formidable Sophia Vergara. So Emmy nominations were announced on Wednesday, and Sophia scored a Lead Actress nomination for her role in Griselda, which follows the life of cartel boss Griselda Blanco. Now here's the thing. This nomination makes Sophia the first Latina woman born in another country to be nominated for lead actress in a limited series.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's also the first time she spoke Spanish significantly in an acting role. So she took to social media to acknowledge the accomplishment, writing, Wow, Griselda was my first dramatic role ever and it took us fifteen years to bring her to life. I'm incredibly grateful to everyone who was a part of this series.
Speaker 1: Sophia has been nominated four times in the past for her role as Gloria in Modern Family, but she's proving that she has some serious dramatic chops as well. I love seeing her breath and her range as a performer. If you haven't seen Griselda, you can binge it now on Netflix. It's dark, but it's so good. Additionally, we also want to shout out Lily Gladstone and Callie Reese for making history as the first Indigenous woman to be nominated for acting in their roles in Under the Bridge and True Detective Night Country.
Speaker 3: Congrats to these incredible women. It's a huge accomplishment and we'll be rooting for you.
Speaker 1: All right, y'all, it's time to pop off. Oh, and today we are doing it with the host of ESPN's NBA Today and NBA Countdown, Melika Andrews. I'm glad I can do the ok that's the best way to start today. That was pretty good. It was really good. Okay, we need to just gas up our guests a little bit. God So. Not only was she the network's youngest sideline reporter during the NBA's twenty twenty season, but in twenty twenty two, she became the first woman to host the NBA Draft. I mean, badass, fory all around, Milika, welcome to the bright side. I also happy to be here.
Speaker 4: Blake Lively recently was talking about how she was described as a crown straightener.
Speaker 1: Did you guys see this? I just I loved that.
Speaker 4: And when I was coming here this morning, I said, you know what, I get to be with Danielle and Simone, two crowned straighteners to start my day.
Speaker 1: There is no better way to kick off a morning. That's so sweet. I am so excited to be this. What does it mean? So?
Speaker 4: I mean instead of you know, you want to let a lady know, not that her crown maybe has shifted off to the side, but almost just straightened without even making somebody feel some type of way about it. And so you all just walk through the world, sharing women's stories, straightening crowns, and leaving the world a little bit brighter. And I just think that you guys are awesome. So I am so excited to be here with you too.
Speaker 1: You're already our favorite guests already. I'm not competitive at all.
Speaker 3: So look, yes, that's super kind. Thank you.
Speaker 4: Well, No, I'm so happy to be here and I feel so honored to have been invited to share your space.
Speaker 3: Well, I want to guess you up a little bit more. You're only twenty nine, and you've already made history in the sports world. You were named Forbes thirty Under thirty just a few years ago. I can't believe you're twenty nine. You carry yourself like.
Speaker 1: Just like I'm old.
Speaker 3: No, like just like.
Speaker 1: A woman, you know what I mean. Thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 4: My friends would tease me it's because I'm old the same thing, exactly right.
Speaker 1: I am a chill at home type of person.
Speaker 4: But no, I just I feel like I stand on the shoulders of so many amazing women who have paved the way in the sports industry, and we.
Speaker 1: Have get to jobs, not half two jobs.
Speaker 4: And I just I try to keep that in mind because this is supposed to be fun, and it doesn't mean not every day that's it's work, because it is. And there are some days that you don't feel like going, and there's some days that you would rather stay in bed, and there's some days where you spill your coffee all down your white jacket that I maybe did this morning. But I just try to keep that in mind and keep that perspective and not think of, oh, now I'm sitting in this chair hosting the NBA Draft and making history, because then I think I would start to get really nervous, which I do already, but more think of it in terms of, Okay, how can I leave my mark in order to make our world a little bit better and a little bit easier for the women that are coming up behind all of us. And I think that if we can and all do that, then we move the collective benchmarks forward for everybody.
Speaker 3: So I love watching you talk about basketball. I know you talk about a lot of things, but I love watching you talk about basketball, and I'm a basketball fan. You're a basketball journalist, like you are a sports journalist, so I'm curious as to when you really fell in love with basketball. Was there a moment or a player.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great question to know. It was really growing up.
Speaker 4: It was my dad because when I was a kid, right, this was when you only had one screen in the house, there was a television and there wasn't everyone could watch their own individual shows. And he would let me stay up late if it was watching basketball with him, right, And so I kind of figured out, like, all right, like maybe if I want to stay up late and I want to enjoy a little bit of quality time with my dad, then that's something that we would do together. And so we watched the Golden State Warriors and they were terrible, like this is back when they were Gosh, they were so awful, and I hated them lose because I perceived it as my dad being upset every time that they lost. But for me, that's really when I fell in love with basketball. My dad's a personal trainer. I played every sport I could growing up. It was something that was just a lot of fun for me, and the NBA sort of became what we did together as a family, watching games, going to games when we could afford to go to games as a family, and so fast forward, it still sort of feels like this familial touchstone for us. Whenever, like the conversation lulls around the dinner table, we all turned to all right, but did you see was Zion Williamson did the other night? And then like the conversation kind of comes back into this bag.
Speaker 3: So that every family has their exactly that's our thing. That's funny. I've never really thought about that. That's our thing, the thing that gets the conversation buzzing.
Speaker 4: And so whenever you're like, oh, you know, I need to I haven't called my dad in a few days.
Speaker 1: I need to call my dad.
Speaker 4: But maybe life stressful or all these other things are happening, and you know, he's so perceptive. He's going to know when something's going on with me that I maybe don't even want to talk about. I'm like, we always have basketball. That's always something that whenever we need to get pull it back and light like then we can kind of go back to basketball.
Speaker 1: So that's where that love kind of came from for me. Your dad must be so proud of not just you, but also your younger sister Kendra. I mean, she covers the Golden State Warriors for ESPN. Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, there's a moment the other day and she actually texted it to me where I was doing NBA today And Kendra's in Las Vegas this week doing the NBA Summer League sidelines, And can I say she's just so good on the sidelines. It's so infuriating. Like the first time she did, I thought I was going to give her all this advice and like, you know, this and the other, and then she gets up there the first time, and she's a natural at it. She's so very good at She's a great writer, she's a very good reporter, but she's very very good on the sideline. So everybody knows I'm two and a half years older. Everybody with the sibling knows. These little they are always in your stuff. They are always in your stuff. We're on DV one day, Kendra's joining NBA today and wrapping up her very professionally delivered report and at the end, I kind of look over to the side. She's like, you know, gesticulating using her hands, and I look over and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, Kendra, thank you so very much. But is that her watch?
Speaker 4: And because of the tape delay, it looks like for a second she's like bobbing her head saying yes it is, and then she goes, no, no, it's not your watch. To set the record straight, it's my watch. However, it is now her watch. She this is she has she has worn it for so many years at this point, this is now.
Speaker 1: This clip was like two years ago that.
Speaker 4: Now it's her common law watch. It's her common law watch. She has a common law relation with the watch.
Speaker 1: It is now her watch.
Speaker 3: We have to take a quick break stick with us. We're back to popping off with Malika Andrews. It's it's the end of the week, so we want a kiki about the biggest moments in pop culture. Malika. First things first, it's WNBA All Star weekend.
Speaker 4: Well, everyone is going to Phoenix right now, and it's funny that we're talking about cultural moments. I was having a conversation with a colleague this morning because a year ago there was this conversation around WNBA All Star about should it be moved to Las Vegas to coincide with the Men's Summer League, because that's how fans right are going to be attracted to this event, like, why not kind of exactly, why not sort of ride that sort of the coattails there and see and now fast forward one year, one year, and this is the place to be, Like, I have so much fomo right now.
Speaker 1: I'm enjoying sitting here with you all.
Speaker 4: I'm so much pomo that I am not now immediately headed to the airport to get on an airplane to go to Phoenix, because this is sort of the place to be. And I think, of course, part of that is this this sensational rookie class. We saw Caitlyn Clark have nineteen assists, set a single game record as a rookie with nineteen assists in a game. This week we have Angel Reese who is making history of her own with double doubles all over the place, just a machine on the floor. Getting to see them as teammates for the first time because they are playing against the US Women's Olympic team. That's sort of the setup of this All Star game. And Angel Rees kind of told me, Yeah, I'm gonna go to Paris and I'm gonna watch, but you know, book it in twenty twenty eight, I'm gonna be there and her and Caitlyn together because we've been saying over and over again, this.
Speaker 1: Is competition, it's not cattiness.
Speaker 4: And I think people get confused when women start to get competitive in sports about what that line is.
Speaker 1: Don't be confused. This is the best in the world doing what they do.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, at All Star Weekend in Phoenix, it's the place to be, and not being there we're missing out.
Speaker 1: Well, It's funny how when men do it, it's competition, when women do it, it's cattiness. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: There's a woman I think that really exemplifies what you just said, Maliko, which is Serena Williams. Competition right, like she talked, I'm gonna swear she talks shit all the time, and she does it in an amazing way. I saw her do it at the Spies and I'm wondering if you.
Speaker 1: Thought it landed. I'm going to speak for myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I'm going to say yes, okay, because I was sitting there, you know, I went to the SP's with Kendra thinking to myself, my goodness, you were saying so many things that so many women wish that they could say out loud, that certainly we all think yep, and that all of us are like trying not to stand up and like start hitting the table and be like oh yes, like thank you for giving this voice to women who maybe can't make that joke. And that's what the humor is for, right, They're the best kind of humor.
Speaker 1: It lives in a truth.
Speaker 4: And I think that it's really refreshing to see Serena kind of step into that, because I do think you're right, she does kind of have that smack talk on the core. But I also think that she has been very conscious for many years. And I've only had the pleasure of meeting her once, but from my outside perspective and I don't want to put anything on her, it seems like she's been very conscious for years of where that space is keeping it to being on the court, and now we're getting to see her step into her comfort in all of these other places as a strong black woman that's been beat down in so many.
Speaker 1: Ways by society.
Speaker 4: So for her to look around and say, you know what, I'm kind of done with this and I'm going to stand up for myself is something that I say, you know what, yeah with me, with me, that lance with me, that lance, well.
Speaker 1: She was specifically calling out Harrison Butker for his comments about women choosing careers versus families homemaking. Homemaking. Yes, and he very specifically pointed to his wife who chose to go the homemaking child rearing route, which we celebrate that for the women who choose that. But it's just so interesting to think about the contrast between the kind of woman that Harrison Bucker was describing in his speech and who Serena Williams is. And I'm just so thankful that she didn't succumb to this pressure to choose one or the other. Like, she is still one of the greatest of all time, and like, can you imagine if she if she had listened to someone like Harrison Butker and suppressed all this talent, I mean, we would be there would be a huge void in the world if she hadn't done that.
Speaker 4: Right, suppressed all of that talent, but also not to the point of suppressing her own ambitions as a mother. As a mother, Like I think holding that duality is something that is so important and it's not the path for everybody. Yes, that's sort of I think that the point that Serena was making. Yes, by the way, I love the joke that she made, like Lebron, you want to play with your son brawny, which is great and it's so much fun to see that excellence on the floor.
Speaker 1: But then her saying, well, I did it with my daughter in my belly.
Speaker 4: And it was sort of like just reminding us of sort of the greatness of women and the multitudes that a single person can contain, because I think that right now we're sort of in this place where we're being asked not to be able to hold multiple truths exactly.
Speaker 3: That's super well said. I think she's one of the only people that could have made the joke, and so I'm really glad she did. She like used her power for good.
Speaker 1: I loved it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Malika Simone, let's talk TV's biggest moments. Emmy nominations were announced this week, and a show that seems to be a crowd favorite, The Bear, was nominated for twenty three awards.
Speaker 1: That's my lucky number. I hope it's their lucky number. Two.
Speaker 3: There you go, and that's a record for a comedy series. Okay, it is such a good Chicago show, Milika. I'm a Chicagoan, so I have like a specsher.
Speaker 1: For a year Deep Dish pizza. How do you both feel about it? Is it pizza? It's not my favorite a castle it's a castroll and we all know how I feel about castroles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Simone has hot takes on pizza. So it is a Chicago show. I want to love it. I have to be honest. It is frenetic and it is hard. I get anxious watching. It's anxiety, are you guys big fans?
Speaker 1: So? Can I offer might be maybe it might be a hot take?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: Is it comedy? No, it's definitely not. It's it's very much Do you really feel it's very much drama with some levity in it? Yeah. I have to be in the right mood to watch the show. It's not that I don't love the performances and the direction, their grasp of like the culinary language, and it's so immersive. It's so immersive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's also fun to watch the two of them, like Jeremy Allen White and Iowa Debris are just I have this chemistry and this mastic.
Speaker 1: She is funny. She's very very funny. There you go.
Speaker 4: I agree with you. Yeah, Simone, I I do. I do get a little stressed out. Yes, at times, watch I have to. It's not the last show I can watch before bed. If I am going to watch that, I need to watch that an episode of also nominated ABBT Elementary afterwards to kind of cleanse the palette. And I do think you were you know, you mentioned this sort of record number of nominees that they I wonder if they are going to, for lack of a better pun, sort of maul the competition because of all of the attention that is on. I don't know why I keep doing the Bear. Yeah, I'm making my hands as a bear.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. This cast is so beloved. People are rooting for them both on and off screen, and they've just become such a cultural moment, like just rooting for them, following them. So I'm definitely here to support the Bear, support the cast. I just have to be in the right head space to watch. It's a little stressful sometimes.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that you guys agree with confident. I want to love the show, but it stresses me out.
Speaker 1: Anybody who's worked in restaurants too, It just like immediately takes you back to some of the toxicity that you deal with job I've ever had.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right, now, we also have to shout out the home team because The Morning Show was showered with nominations to sixteen in total Outstanding Drama Series. Jennifer Aniston and Reese Witherspoon were nominated for Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Huge congratulations to both of them, including our boss Reese, and also the men on the show got some love too, so well deserved. Billy crude Up, John Hamm, Mark duplace All nominated for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series the show. Yeah, she's incredible as well. Billy crude Up. I love that man so much. He is such a dynamic actor on screen, Like I just can't take my eyes off of him whenever he's on screen.
Speaker 4: And as someone who works in TV, can I just say their attention to detail on that show.
Speaker 3: We always talk about this, right like.
Speaker 4: Oh, wait, you like that's not something you think about until you see. Oh, they take the ear piece out to talk to the person who's acrossing and they put the earpiece back in. Just the tiniest little details that really make it come to life in a very realistic way. Yeah, so so good, And I loved the Actors on Actors with Jennifer Anison and Kinta.
Speaker 1: I just thought that that was Quinta. I thought that that was great. It was so good.
Speaker 3: I always think, too, when you see great acting, it means that it starts with great writing, and so it's just a very talented cast and crew. So there's this quote that I share on the show sometimes that Michelle Weiner told me that life is just a series of pep talks, and Malika, you came in here and you kind of gave us a different way of saying that, like a crown straightener, which I loved. So there was a moment this week that I think backs up both of those notions. You guys may have seen this video that went viral earlier this year, but Natalie Portman and Rihanna or Rihanna, I always want to say Rihanna, but it is Rihanna met at the Door Fashion show in Paris and they had a moment. So Rihanna went up to Natalie and she said that she is the baddest bitch in town, and they both just like gushed over each other and it went viral because it was so adorable. It was so great to see like two grown women just loving.
Speaker 1: On each other.
Speaker 3: Well, fast forward a few months, Natalie Portman made an appearance on Jimmy Fallon This Week and she said that that moment with Rihanna was a quote formative moment in my life. She said it just happened a few weeks before her divorce was finalized, and that every woman going through a divorce should have Rihanna say to her that she's a bad bitch. This really warmed my heart. Yeah, it's really not like you don't know what somebody's going through. And so sometimes that sweet moment, that little pump up, it really gives you something.
Speaker 4: That's why, you know, whenever I walk past to a woman who I like their outfit, it's small, it's not Ranna saying it to you, because you wouldn't be Andrew, stop.
Speaker 1: Don't do that. Don't do that. We're not doing that.
Speaker 4: But I tried, you know what I mean, Like, I try to say it because you're making someone day. I when a stranger comes up to me, I don't dress for other men, I just for women. And so when someone comes up to me and says, you know what your hair looks great today? I love your outfit and you know if they caught the show or other things like say say it, say it to someone, sprinkle a little bit more kindness in the world, and that clip, I mean, I just I love it because I'm sure you can think back to a time that maybe you were feeling a little bit down though someone said something to you right, and you just felt your crown was straightened because of it.
Speaker 3: Malika gen Z, girls make me feel better than anybody else.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, I'm going to tell you a quick small story.
Speaker 3: I was on a date one time and the woman that was the hostess at the restaurant says, you are so beautiful. And the guy I was with it was like a first date, and he looked at me and he was like, oh my.
Speaker 1: God, that's so nice.
Speaker 3: Like she just like gave me so much in that moment. And so I started doing that to people, yeahcause I'm like, it's not just a compliment for you, Like it makes you.
Speaker 4: Look so good and it also makes you feel good, Like you feel better when you just say it and walk past someone and you're like, you know what, keep doing usis like that just makes you feel better.
Speaker 3: Is there a coach or somebody that you'd want a little pump up from.
Speaker 4: Becky Hammond, no question, the head coach of the Las Vegas Aces, or Don Staley. I mean yeah, either or both, one in the right ear, one in the left. Like those two women. I just think every time that Don speaks, I feel like she's talking to me right, Like she has that sort of like superpower that it feels like she's talking to every individual woman, because.
Speaker 1: It's like, yeah, okay, now I feel a little bit better. Now I'm going to walk through my day with my shoulders a little bit farther back.
Speaker 3: Someone, how about you? Who do you want to speech from?
Speaker 1: Oprah? Oh that's a good world, Oprah? Or Tracy Ellis Ross.
Speaker 3: Oo great.
Speaker 4: I saw Tracy Eellis Ross on a plane one day speaking of drive by compliments that make you feel great, and she said, oh, I love your curls.
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh, from Tracy, that's I mean from the Pattern beauty founder Tracy Ellis Rot. And you know what, she was so kind.
Speaker 4: I mean again, this was didn't didn't introduce it, just like a tiny little because I didn't want to bother her. She didn't want, but it was a two second thing. She meets one hundred bazillion people in a day. But then the flight attendant was this.
Speaker 1: I loved this.
Speaker 4: He was this man with like this beautiful curly hair, and he went up to her and was like, I don't want to bother you, but can I ask you about my curl pumping? And she just had all the time in the world just so yep. I was I would do this to try this from this line, and I was, you know what, that's that's the kindness we want to see in the world.
Speaker 1: That was the curl optimism that we want to see in the world.
Speaker 3: Because you're a sports curly, I'm going to give you mine.
Speaker 1: It's Jimmy V. That's a good one. So laugh every day, cry every day. That's living life to the fullest.
Speaker 3: Oh see, I knew you know that speech. If anybody doesn't know it, I please go look it up on YouTube. It's from nineteen ninety three and he gave it right before he passed away, And I dare you not to cry and laugh in that speech, like watch, it's just beautiful.
Speaker 1: All right, We've got to take a quick break, but we'll be right back. Don't go anywhere. We're back and still popping off with Malika Andrews. Okay, next up, we are hyped that the Olympics are just a week away. And here's the thing, y'all. This year's custom emblem is catching fire online. Okay, do you remember the trend the gold dress or blue dress divided the internet. I always saw it as blue. I think I was a gold dress card. Okay, okay, Well, this year's emblem is just as polarizing. So here's the deal with the emblem. The background is a gold circle to symbolize a gold medal, and then there's this white flame in the middle, which is symbolizing the Olympic Flame. And I think we are going to need to pull up a picture here so that you can see it, because it kind of ends up looking like a face with a gold blonde layered haircut, or some people think it looks like the Tender Flame. Have you seen the logo? You know what I'm talking about. It it's not you look at it and you don't say what is that? You say, who is that? Exactly? And you know who it is?
Speaker 4: Look up the emblem and then look up missus incredible.
Speaker 1: Yes, right, yes, it totally looks like exactly.
Speaker 4: That is Missus Incredible, which is who's Missus Incredible from The Incredibles?
Speaker 1: And that that is.
Speaker 3: That's her face, her cartoon.
Speaker 4: Face and not her super suit exactly. I love that or belongs on a lipstick advert.
Speaker 1: I mean obviously the lips had to have been intentional, right, Like, you're not just going to put those lips there without Yeah, of course you're going to make people think it's a face, So that actually is intentional. Okay. It symbolizes Mary Anne, which is the personification of the French Republic. God it. I love the female empowerment. People love this emblem.
Speaker 3: I like, this is incredible.
Speaker 1: Better it can be both. We can hold multiple things.
Speaker 3: We we well, we also want to honor some people that we lost in this last week. So Shannon Doherty, Richard Simmons, and the groundbreaking sex researcher doctor Ruth Westeimer. All three of them modeled resilience and honestly positivity in their own ways. Richard Simmons promoted fitness and body positivity. He died on July twelfth, just one day after his seventy sixth birthday. You know, I read a piece in the Atlantic by Gall Beckerman that pointed out how he was practicing a form of body positivity way before his time, and if you go back and watch old Sweaton to the Oldies videos, you'll see people of every shape and size doing the moves along with him. He wanted fitness and exercise to also belong to people who didn't look like athletes or movie stars. And I also saw a tribute that Jane Fonda wrote about him saying he always wanted to bring joy to people and went out of his way. Do you guys remember Richard Simmons? Was he like a figure in your life and.
Speaker 1: Dark to Ruth? Especially for me? Yeah, I was like for me in college. I remember my college roommate and I would always be like, well, what would doctor Ruth say? Really Ruth say?
Speaker 4: And we would you know, that was kind of our Yeah, I think just I loved it. I think that that Jade put it perfectly. Accessibility for a lot of different people to feel comfortable in their bodies is something that they did before that it was trendy to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well.
Speaker 3: Doctor Ruth died one day later at age ninety six, and was known as Grandma Freud. As a young girl, she survived the Holocaust and went on to have a storied career as a sex therapist, a professor, and the host of the sex positive syndicated radio show Sexually Speaking, which ran for ten years. Malika, I love that she was a figure in your life. I used to watch her growing up, Like in my parents would go to bed and I would like secretly turn doctor Ruth on. She just she was so ahead of her time. Yeah, yeah, do you remember her, Simone, I do.
Speaker 1: I grew up in a home that was very conservative when I came to discussing sex sexuality, so I can't say that I ever watched her at home. She was certainly a larger than life cultural figure who had a really widespread influence. Yeah.
Speaker 3: People when she passed, people really came out with stories of how much she impacted their lives.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Why did you in your roommate love doctor Ruth?
Speaker 4: Because you know, you're figuring it all out in college and if you know, a nana is telling you all these nasty things, and maybe, you know what, we can figure out a way that this all works within our own lives, you know. Like I just thought that she was tremendous and to go from being a survivor of the Holocaust to then embrace which was your body in so many ways. I'm Jewish, and you know, talking to Holocaust survivors about, you know, the branding of their bodies and what their bodies go through in these heinous, heinous camps. To go from that perspective to the perspective of fully and holly not only embracing your own but helping other people to do the same is a pretty incredible journey and mark to leave on the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a radical shift. Yeah, to still go into what in many ways is still a life of service, you know, after its taboo in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, my grandma was a Holocaust survivor and to come to America, she said at sixteen, was for her even more traumatic than the Holocaust because she was like, I didn't understand I was a kid in the Holocaust. I didn't understand what any of these customs where people spoke different, they it was made fun of. So to your point, Malika, for doctor Ruth to come out of that move to America and then embrace like an American way of life and build this persona for herself is just it's tremendous.
Speaker 4: Like this kind of tiny woman like I just I love that kind of dichotomy too, Like this tiny woman with this amazing accent that just I.
Speaker 1: Don't know, I just I love all of that exactly pint sized.
Speaker 3: Lastly, we're remembering actress Shannon Doherty, who lost her battle to cancer on July thirteenth. She was a fixture on eighties and nineties TV Little House on the Prairie, Charmed nine oh two, one oh Brenda. I mean, in recent years she bravely chronicled her battle with breast cancer, including on her podcast as recently as a few weeks ago. I grew up watching all of her shows, So that was a sad one too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, A Little House on the Prairie was definitely that was the really Yeah, that was my little sister and I.
Speaker 1: We really really enjoyed Little House on the Prairie.
Speaker 4: But that vulnerability to be able to share not with the perspective of hindsight, to know that everything is going to be okay, to share in real time with the goal I imagine of helping other people, but all so to kind of come to terms with your own battle mortality. I just think that's something that I admire tremendously because I'd like to think that that's something that I could find within myself, but I'm not sure. Like your natural instinct is to protect, to protect yourself, and to be so selfless as to share what you are going through with other people and the hope that that can help them and their journey is something that I just have the utmost respect for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she did it in a really raw, real way, Yeah, which doesn't happen on social media all the time.
Speaker 4: No, it's something that's really I know, you guys talked recently about the Selene documentary too on the show, Like we don't get to see that very often, particularly from these celebrities that are in so many ways larger than life.
Speaker 1: These are the things that sort of connect all of us. So, yeah, that was terribly sad. I just wanted to say that I hope that Shannon Doherty's death is an in vain. Breast cancer rates among young women under fifth are surging, and so you know, this is a great opportunity, reality check, to just do a check on your own health and make sure that you're getting your mammograms regularly. There have been several instances of notable breast cancer cases in the news, and also I've been touched by it in my own life, so just a great reminder to do those regular checkups. Well said Simon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Melika, thanks for popping off with us today.
Speaker 1: Yes, this was thank you for having me this may my week. I am so, so so excited that I got to comment. I'm a little sad that it's that it's over me too. Will you come back anytimes?
Speaker 4: I know you're going back to the NBA Today's studio, but anytime, literally, anytime.
Speaker 1: This is so much fun.
Speaker 3: Malika Andrews is the host of NBA Today and NBA Countdown. That's it for today's show. On Monday, tag Nataro and her wife Stephanie Allen are hanging out with us talking about being your true, authentic selves. Listen and follow The bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello, Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 1: Production by Arcana Audio. Courtney Gilbert is our associate producer. Jessica Wank is our producer. Our senior producers are Janie Yamoka, IT'SI Kintania and Amy Padula. Our engineer is PJ. Shahamatt.
Speaker 3: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka. Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 1: Natalie Tullup and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 3: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson, Carl Catel, Jessica Crinchitch Bahied Fraser.
Speaker 1: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 1: I'm Simone Boyce. You can find me at Simone Boice on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 3: And I'm Danielle Robe on Instagram and TikTok. That's r O b A.
Speaker 1: Y See you Monday. Keep looking on the bright side, y'all,