Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to this. Roebock beat me in the New York City Half Marathon episode of Amy and DJ. Yes, we did it. We made it. We crossed the.
Speaker 2: Finish line right, and I crossed the finish line one second faster than you.
Speaker 1: That is a true story. One hour, fifty seven minutes and two seconds. That's the time of Samy Robock and my time was one second more. Every race we have done, we didn't realize this till a moment ago. Every single race we have run in together, we have only been separated by one second, or our times were exactly the same. Isn't no amazing?
Speaker 2: Isn't that beautiful? That's because you willed it to be. So it's not just by happenstance or we're just training together, so we run at the same speed. You stay by my side or usually just a smidge behind me.
Speaker 1: Yes, we do all that training together and then on the day of the race, the race is the reward from all the work you put in. So that's supposed to be the fun time. I wouldn't. I could not dream of running a race not side by side with you.
Speaker 2: That's really see we.
Speaker 1: Train really if we train four together then we're going to go through it together.
Speaker 2: It is something to experience it with you by my side. You know, we can see the same signs, we look at the same faces. We can you just you feel connected to the person next to you. So I love running races by your side. I think I'm gonna have to opt out of a couple of them just so I can watch you do your personal best. I also do feel absolute guilt that you know, you don't push yourself, you don't see what your best is because you're next to me. But I do appreciate it.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, don't feel guilt. You really you are the one that got me into running in the first place, and we've all those training runs. People don't we talk about running and people might see us make posts about running. Folks. This is a lot of getting up at four and five in the morning, five days a week, four months to go out there and get ready for that race day. So there's no way doing all that with you, all that pain, and then I'm just gonna buye. I'm gonna take off. I'll see it later at the finanh Now, I'll.
Speaker 2: Eventually we'll get to the finish line and we can celebrate together. But we did have so much fun. We felt like this year's race was the easiest, calm, mist most peaceful. We just felt like we were in a really good zen space. And then it dawned on us perhaps why that was so. Yes, the weather was good, we've had other good weather races. This was specific.
Speaker 1: But training we trained just the same as we were always well trained.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: But for whatever reason, we were out there kicking it. We were having a blast, we were keeping great times. We're like, wow, this is amazing, what is going on? And then you were the one that kind of pieced it together. The last couple of times we've had races together, I've been a bit of turmoil.
Speaker 2: Yes, we've had photographers chasing us for all the wrong reasons. We actually had to run under aliases. So this was the first time we've run a race since we have spoken out and taken back our narrative and you've heard it on the podcast, and we've started to become ourselves again, and so we felt like that for the first time. Yes we're running by each other, Yes we're in love, and our heads were held up high and our names were on the roster, and it felt good.
Speaker 1: Do you remember your alias from last year?
Speaker 2: I was trying to think of it. Yours was really Oh man, We'll have to come up with them later because they were really good. I took a picture of them and it was just so funny. I think you were Thomas Hobart. I don't know why. I just remember that. Oh my goodness, I can't remember what you were. See. I remember your name because it was so not you. It was hilarious.
Speaker 1: It was great to your point, And maybe that had a lot to do. And of course running is a lot has to do with being mental, but a lot of what we've been going through recently and being back out there and being social, the race was a big part of it, and fellowship is a big part of I guess what is fueling us and making us feel lighter these days?
Speaker 2: That's right, And every time I run a race, I am reminded of the importance of all of those connections.
Speaker 1: A lot of people know from uh. I guess the end of twenty twenty two we lost touch with a lot of people, giving what was going on with us at the time in the turmoil, and really close friends that we stayed in touch with, maybe via text or phone call, we still weren't able to see and last night this it's fair to say somebody we've been through all kinds of ups and down with over the past ten years, and we haven't had a chance to see, actually for almost a year and a half, which is unbelievable. But we got to sit and see a friend yesterday and it was I think I was overwhelmed in an emotional way, more so than I even thought I would be.
Speaker 2: It was a reunion, you know, and I think anyone who's gone through something abrupt where you don't expect not to see someone for a very long period of time, that's exactly what happened. And so yes, I want to make it clear we were staying in touch text, but it's not the same, obviously, it's not the same. So when you get to hug that person and catch up with that person and see that person and how they're doing and share stories about what it's been like, it was just it was exactly what we needed. We haven't had enough of that, and I think they're starting to come now and it's made a huge difference in our mental health for sure, because connection is so important, and especially I think we oftentimes take for granted the connections we have and the access we have to people, and then sometimes without realizing it, it stops and there's a loss. There's almost a mourning of that, and so you don't maybe even realize the impact it's had until yes, you have a reunion, and then it's a reminder to make the effort to go out to see people face to face. I think that's a big problem these days because zoom allows you not to do that, or even texting it feels like you're in contact, but there's nothing that replaces that one on one face to face, getting to hug your friend kind of feeling.
Speaker 1: Even face time I think fools us into thinking we're spending time with people face to face, but we're not. But it was I think this was another where we came into this and we were so careful in where we were going to meet because for whatever reason, we felt like, hey, we don't want you to be seen or photographed with us, just in case that might come off bad for you and your world.
Speaker 2: Like that was.
Speaker 1: We've said this to some people and it's embarrassing to say, and every friend says, are you freaking kidding me? Stop with that, but we've been programmed for what we A lot of what we endured. We were programmed to think that people don't like us, don't love us, don'tant anything to do with us. And it was really nice to be reconnected with that friend. Like you said, people for whatever reason, you don't you forget like you take it for granted when you see them every day and you lose them sometimes with death or they're moving. But this one was in town with us and we lost connection, that personal one on one time, and it was good to.
Speaker 2: Have it back. Yeah, reminder to anyone out there, you know, yes, calling a friends great, checking in on a friend, but meet up, have some coffee, have a drink, do something. Just there's got to be that person who you know it's been on your mind that you've lost that personal touch with. Let this be a reminder to make that date and to make that appointment to meet up, because it does. Oh my gosh, we're still riding high. I think from having had that meeting.
Speaker 1: Now, was that before or after my dad called?
Speaker 2: It was it was right after, but actually your dad's called a couple of times, so it's been Sandwich. I think you just got off the phone with them.
Speaker 1: Well yesterday it freaked this out because and again another thing, parents and anybody out here you could relate to this. Your parents, if you still have them, they're still with you. Good, great, But how many times do you get a message from your parents and you get a certain age, everybody starts breaking down a little bit, having some health issues. But you start getting more messages from your parents and they're all, hey, So I went to the doctor the day you put me on this prescription, and then I came home and my left side is bothering me a little bit, and then I had had some chicken last night and this morning my heart just think right like, every mess did you get from parents, now, it has to do with their health, it's an update on their health.
Speaker 2: Whether yeah, and my mom's going through something right now too, you know, we got I got a phone call in December and she fell and she is still dealing with she had to have surgery and now there's PT. But you realize if you don't have your health, you don't have anything. And as we watch our parents' age, obviously that becomes the center, like the central focus, because there is a deterioration of the body and so that is what's on their minds, and that is typically what you end up talking about.
Speaker 1: We feel bad in that so often we you and I have talked about and we've done it playfully, yeah, like, oh my goodness. All I did was said hi, and then she talked to the next thirty minutes about our health. Like it's almost how you feel bad or complaining about it and jokingly.
Speaker 2: In some way, but it's, man, it's serious.
Speaker 1: Yesterday was serious. You you've been around planning with my dad's around the conversations we have and how he gets going and what he's talking about. But yesterday it sobered. It really was a sobering reminder of how everybody's getting older. And he had he did, he had a cardiologists appointment that was coming up the following day. And you said it, but I couldn't tell, like, dude, is it serious or is it not serious? He's saying, well, I might have to go to the murderency room. I'm packing a bag in case they don't let me come back home, Like what the hell? And then he say, yeah, it's fine, no big deal. But you pointed out to me that you know what he was actually trying to comfort me, and what he was saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you could tell he was nervous and he wanted you to know that something could happen, but then he was trying to make you feel better about it. But deep down you could tell he was nervous and was concerned. And he made the point He's like, I'm seventy six years old when your doctor tells you to go to the cardiologist, and that's not a it's always serious, right, Yeah, good point, good point, touchet.
Speaker 1: But yeah, well, we talked so much about physical health. Mental health is clearly a big part of the discussion these days, and we were Look, I've talked, and I've talked in some ways just on the surface about what I've dealt with with mental health that in twenty fifteen diagnosed as moderately severe depression, and I didn't do anything about it. I didn't change any of my habits. I didn't go on an antidepresent, I didn't go to therapy. I didn't do anything for about four plus years and just let that fester. And you were witnessed to like a four year deterioration of mind and you didn't even realize what was going on. But you have talked about now in very scary ways, just what you were witnessing at the time.
Speaker 2: From me, I was worried about you.
Speaker 1: You are.
Speaker 2: Let me just say this. You don't have a poker face when you're upset or you're sad, or you're down or whatever. I mean, it's palpable. It's all over. It's not just in your face, but it's your it's how you carry yourself. Everything changes and shifts, and so yes, I saw that shift in you, and it's one of those things where you want to help, and I tried, but at the end of the day, thank you. But but it's it's you. You're the one who has to pull yourself up. You're the one who has to figure out how to just shift to change, whether it's with a prescription, or if it's through a therapist, or it's through friends. I mean, there are obviously a lot of different avenues. But for four years I didn't realize that it went on for that long.
Speaker 1: It did without being addressed. When I when I finally started dressing, it was almost too late. You talked, We've talked about it before. I used to know how long, how far, the how many miles It took to walk from downtown to the ABC offices because I spent nights literally on the streets of New York. I've spent nights sitting and sleeping on a bench in Midtown. I've spent nights just walking up and down just because I didn't want to be home, because I didn't have it together. So we talk about mental health, and you've talked about how running has been such a big part of it for you because you went through it with antidepressants. We've talked about so you don't mind me saying that, But during the time when you were dealing with your breast cancer diagnosis and treatment that they had you go.
Speaker 2: That direction, right, I couldn't run. Actually then I could barely run and a mile would be the most I could do, and a lot of days I couldn't do that. So I didn't have the outlet that I had always had. So for a year my doctors put me on an antidepressant because the anxiety, the stress, the pressure, the overthinking, the fear, all of that just comes crashing down on you. And if you don't have an outlet, if you don't have something that you can do and use and lean on. Yes, I had to get on antidepressants for a full year and they help. They did it. It numbs you a little, I mean, I don't. I think that might be the comp the complaint a lot of people have who are on it, because there are always side effects to any drug you take, so that's the downside of it. But sometimes that is the only outlet when you're in a certain place or space mentally.
Speaker 1: But physical they warn you about physical.
Speaker 2: Well, you can you can, I mean there can in some cases. There can be weight gained, there can be there's sexual side effects where you just have no libido. You you're numb, You don't have you might not have the lows, but you also don't get the highs. You don't experience a wide range of emotion that you would have maybe otherwise. So it prevents the low, but you also are numbed down from the high, which isn't something that most people would prefer to do.
Speaker 1: So antidepressants, I think it makes sense. People know that they just kind of exploded in popularity that's not the right word popularity, ish say, but in usage during the pandemic. And you talked about running as therapy, and I was, I was, I didn't realize this, but it's fascinating that the study was done. I think at the end of last year the results were put out that they gave people that had anxiety disorder depression. One group they gave them antidepressant. The other group no antidepressant, just had them run run as exercise. Running was their therapy for to treat depression. At the end of this the two groups had the almost exact same results in terms of how it helped their mental health. The symptoms of their mental health improved the same in both those groups. One group only ran.
Speaker 2: And the side effects from the running were all good versus the side effects from a lot of the drugs are not good.
Speaker 1: So the conclusion is that arguably running is better for your health and treating your depression, your anxiety anxiety disorder is a better option for a lot of people than to actually take antidepressants.
Speaker 2: And I believe I don't know if it was a part of this study, but the cool thing is you don't have to be a marathon or or a half marathon or or a ten They're saying if you run as little as one mile a couple of times a week, the effects of that are significant and documentable, so.
Speaker 1: Everyone knows we are obviously big runners. But the New York Road Runners you have heard us speak about them quite a bit, but they're the organization that's in charge of putting these races together here in New York, including the United Have Marathon and also the New York City Marathon. But a big focus of the CEO now is to make running a part of treating mental health, like an actual therapy for mental health. And that is fascinating to me because the running I do. You got me into it and then yeah, it did help me going through some very difficult times, but I didn't focus on it because of that. But I got all those benefits. Now I'm just a runner and I'm loving and I missed day. I don't feel good if I don't run. But Rob Simulcare is the name I got the right right. I had to look over at him and still, because we talked and we practiced, and still we got to the moment, Rob, and I still was unsure.
Speaker 2: I was hoping that you were going to do it because I started to panic. There's a lot of consonants in your last name, Rob, and it's very intimidating even for those of us who had to say a lot of fancy names over the years. Still I was like, please let TJ say it. I hope he says it.
Speaker 3: He nailed it. That's true, broadcast professional.
Speaker 1: But ro we were actually we wanted to get to you earlier, but we were going back and forth. I hope she says it first.
Speaker 2: Oh, he says it.
Speaker 1: But but Rob Simulcare is, yes, the CEO of New York road Runners. It's good to have you. Appreciate everything your organization has been doing for us over the years and so apporting us and our running and helping us get the message out. But this was something that I think goes beyond just putting on shoes and running and having a good time and being a community event. And why is it? And I think I said it right. You want running to actually be mental health therapy.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all, thank you for having me. It's great to be with both of you, and I want to throw the thanks back to you because both of you have done a lot for New York Roadrunners. You've run with us, Amy, You've been a supporter of Team for Kids and all of our community programs, our youth programs. So it means a lot for us to have you guys in our community, and I just want to thank you for having me here. TJ to your question. Yeah, when I became CEO just over a year ago, one of the things I did start talking about a lot was the mental health benefits of running. And you know, people who run, and you guys are what you just said in the intro, I say it a whole lot better, right in terms of like the the impact that runners know running has on their mental health. And I when I ask people why they run, you know, and I talk to people to finish line of our races or whatever, I'd say, the most frequent answer I get is mental health.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: The people will put it in different ways. They'll say it's a stress relief, or it clears my mind, or you know, it just gives me that moment to kind of be, you know, with myself, especially if they just kind of run alone, and so various very you know, different variations of it, but they're all saying that it's the impact that has on their minds that really drives them to keep doing it over and over again. And so it's a real thing. Some people call it the you know, some people call it the so called runners high, right, and that that that's something that is a term that's thrown around sometimes, you know, for people who run a long way and how you feel afterwards, but you don't have to run to Amy's point long distances, you know, a consistent habit of two three miles a week just to get out there. That feeling of you know, getting your body moving, getting your heart rate up. It's magical for those of us who know it, and so I want more people to know that, so that folks who are struggling again. It doesn't necessarily mean it's a substitute for other forms of mental health care like therapy or medication as it's needed, but for a lot of people it can make a big difference.
Speaker 1: Will you put this runners high? Will either one of you? Actually? Because I hear it all the time, and I've been running a long time. I got a couple of marathons under my bell. I don't know if I've ever had a.
Speaker 2: Runners really yeah, I would say it's rare, and so people are chasing it constantly. I would say I have had some runs, I've got the right song on, the weather is perfect, I've just hit whatever mile eight and I'm thinking to myself, I'm a badass, and I just feel like I could take on the world and I feel powerful and it's almost it is you for it. And I'm singing and I'm making a fool of myself as I'm running around along the West Side Highway, probably singing like let it Go, like from Frozen or something. I mean, you've never had that. I've seen you sit there and sing. Oh you sing when you run?
Speaker 1: What I thought, is it a physiological something over that sounds mental to me? I have plenty of times I got the right song on, the weather's just right, feeling myself, my shirt off, I'm sweating just right, man, it feels like that runs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think Amy described it well and what I've experienced right, which is for me, it's a feeling like I could just run forever, you know. And it usually comes when like I've been running a fair amount and my body's right and my mind's right, and the weather's right, and everything's kind of just working, and I just feel like I could just keep going forever. So that's what I think of when I think of the quote unquote running is rare, but it's rare, okay. I think it's somewhat rare. I think the day to day benefit of running is not rare, right, I think that's what you can get with a consistent habit of running, you know, a few times a week. And I personally, I don't know what time of day you guys run, but I'm all about the mornings, right, Okay, so we're all the same. And I have a phrase I use actually with people at races. I say, when the morning win the day, right, and so much much, so much of life, especially if you're going through a rough patch, if you're feeling depressed or hopeless or whatever. So much of life can be just getting out of bed, right, like that decision, that conscious choice to like get up, believe that something good can happen to you that day. And if you get up and have that run, and now check, right, a good thing already happened today, Right, I already did something. I accomplished something today. It's like it's like a snowball going down the hill, and the momentum from that can get you to the next thing, and the next thing, and the next thing, the next thing. You've had a great day.
Speaker 1: Some people say just simply getting up and making your bed. It should always be the first thing you do because you accomplished a task. You have seen this. I'm not sure how I feel about you, though, and you getting up and running. Let me finish. I didn't start that right, Let me try again.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I let's not do this in front of company robot. But the I you know, it can adjust my whole day and my I get mad sometimes that I didn't get the run in. Nothing else can go wrong in the day. I'm just mad I didn't get to run it.
Speaker 2: I you did not run one day this week, and I thought, uh oh, buckle up for the rest of the day because DJ didn't run. That's not a good time, but.
Speaker 1: It is a good once you get into the routine, into the habit. Where do you for the folks who are listening, who do want to run, who want to get it. They love everything you're saying, it's so difficult to get them to take that first step. Or I'm not a marathon I'm not a big time running all. What what is that? You've had some good one liners here, So what is the short speech you give people to get them started.
Speaker 3: I tell people that if you run a mile, even a half a mile to start. Congratulations, you're a runner, right, you have gone out and you've made it happen. I think it's great to start with other people. You know, if you can find a friend or a running group that you can join so you're not on your own doing it. I think that's an added benefit. You know, we have a program here in your called Open Run, which is a free running program that's in parks and we do it every single weekend, and so we've had a lot of people discover running that way showing up at a free free run group and just giving it a go with some people. And you know, it's intimidating for a lot of folks if they haven't done it, because they're like, well, I don't do that, and they're gonna be fast and they're going to be in great shape and I'm not that. Now you go and you find your people, you find your tribe, and you just do it. And you know, I think runners are overwhelmingly like open and supportive and like want to support other people getting into the sport. But even by yourself, you know, you just go out, find a track, find a good block on your neighborhood, and go around once and then that turns into twice, and that turns into three times. And you don't have to have a half a marathon in your sights or a marathon for sure, right. You know, maybe you get up to a few miles. Guess what, that's a five k right, So it's a progressive thing. But you know what, do they say the longest journey must start with a single step, right, And it's the same thing with running. You just got to get that first step.
Speaker 2: I think the hardest part about running for me is walking out the door, like making the decision, seriously, making the decision to walk and to go outside and to start the run. Once I'm going, I'm good. And even when I've had tough runs, which I've had some recently, when I do finish it. Even I had to stop the other day, I think you had a story too, and I still finished it. I might have had to cobble it together, but I finished it. And I have always looked at running as a euphemism for life, because especially when things are hard, I know I've had those hard runs, but I also know I have hard days. But if you finish it, the next one may be better. It gives you hope. It gives you purpose, and it does give you that feeling of accomplishment which creates this positivity even on a negative day, even on a bad run, I can still look back and say I learned something from that run about myself and what I have in me.
Speaker 3: So I gave a speech at the beginning of the TCS New York City Marathon. This year was my first time as CEO for that race, and what I said to all the runners at the starting line in Staten Island was congratulations. And I was like, well, maybe you're wondering why I'm saying congratulations to you. You're at the starting line. You haven't run the race yet, right, But you got here, right. And it's really hard to get to the starting line of races, especially marathons. We know how hard that is with all the training, But just to get to the starting line of a five k or to your point, Amy, just to get out the door, right. All those people who line up at the starting line of a marathon have gotten out the door day in and day out, and so that's the accomplishment, right, And whatever happens for the twenty six point two miles whatever, that's the gravy, but the key was getting to the starting line. So you know you say it, it's you said it perfectly. It's a metaphor for life. And I think the reasons so many runners are successful people in various endeavors in life, yourselves included, is because you know, when you're running a marathon, that option to quit is always right there. It's in front of you. It's so easy to just quit. And people who finish they didn't take the option. They never took the off rame.
Speaker 2: They thought about it a lot.
Speaker 1: And Brooklyn is hard. You want to stop at all those pubs.
Speaker 2: Love you. Oh, there is a stretch there in Brooklyn that you just you want to say. You see all the red solo cubs. You're like, I think I'm going to stop and join their party, but they are partying.
Speaker 1: What is we put this? It feels like I think it is the greatest day in New York every year is in New York City Marathon. I don't know where that comes from, or how it's just over time or what, but the city embraces they're not runners, they don't have anybody running in it, but the city just gives you a big old hug and you feel it almost every step of that journey. How special is that day? Do you see anything that happens in New York that is more special that we all come together in that way to root on people.
Speaker 3: No, it's the best day of the year in New York. Obviously I'm biased, but I think most people agree, even the non runners agree that it's just a special day. And I just think it's because you've got folks out there cheering on strangers. You know, they're there to support people they don't know. Yes, a lot of them have a friend running or something like that, but while they're waiting for that friend, they are cheering for the strangers. They are, you know, putting up the signs. I love the signs.
Speaker 2: Signs are great.
Speaker 3: They're so key, you know, to getting runners through this race. The funny signs. You need to laugh during a race like that.
Speaker 1: Yes, so my favorite. The first race I did, I didn't know about the signs, right, And what was the one that said don't trust that fart?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's after mile whatever right.
Speaker 1: In the half marathon sign that says I'm only half impressed. I didn't like that one. That was offensive to get here, But some of the signs they do carry you through.
Speaker 2: Oh without a doubt, and just the time that people have taken to make it and to pass things out. I mean, normally I wouldn't take a banana from a stranger or an orange from a stranger, but I do on marathon day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they just pull it out of the box with a dirty hand. Sure sounds like a good idea.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, fuel is fuel at that point, right, what does it I'm curious. Fifty thousand runners typically in the New York City Marathon.
Speaker 3: Last year, you're fifty fifty one and change.
Speaker 2: Yes, how many people do you have to turn away?
Speaker 3: Well, we have over one hundred thousand who apply for the drawing every year. We're actually, as we speak taping this podcast today, we're in the middle of sign up period actually for the marathon, and so we're already you know, well over a one hundred thousand. Don't know where we'll end up, but we we get a tremendous amount of interest. Of course every year, and there's different ways to get into the marathon, but the entry drawing always gets into well into the six figures.
Speaker 2: That's incredible. So if you think about the fact, what do they say less than one percent of the world's population has ever run a marathon, and you have fifty thousand people who can't even get into the marathon because there's such a demand. That's a pretty remarkable, remarkable thing to What do you attribute.
Speaker 3: That, Well, the marathon has been popular for a long time. The TCS New York City Marathon in particular is such a big part of New York that I think so many people have it on their bucket list of something to do, So I think that's been a long standing thing. I think what's different now, though, amy is all of our races sell out. It's not just the marathon. We are literally sold out for the five k that's in Central Park or the ten k in Queens. All of our races sell out, and they sell out very quickly as well. And I think that is my theory at least, is the pandem right. The pandemic was such a tough period for so many people. There wasn't anything else you could do but run, right, if you wanted to exercise, I mean, you could do sit ups in your bedroom or whatever. There was stuff you could do, but like running was the choice that so many people, you know, found and so people started running during the pandemic and now post pandemic. I think a lot of it is because of the mental health component of it. The community that people have found, maybe in the running club they joined or the set of friends they got to run together. They've stayed with it, they stayed with the running they discovered during the pandemic. And so we're just seeing numbers that are through the roof for all of our races.
Speaker 1: And I remember that time during the pandemic, I had the Brooklyn Bridge to myself morning after morning because I run so early, first of all, but there was nobody out. And I'm how many times in your life you just stumped on the bridge behind my What time was this this? I used to run like five six in the morning, just when sun was coming up. But now with I say, every morning we wake up.
Speaker 2: Oh, the first thing he says to me, is you ready to run?
Speaker 1: That's That's not a joke, folks. It doesn't matter what time it is, what's happening.
Speaker 2: Not I love you, not good morning, four fifteen? Are you ready to run?
Speaker 1: Run?
Speaker 2: And what do I say back?
Speaker 1: I know the answers always know, usually not yet, not yet, yes, let me get my coffee. You used to say that you don't.
Speaker 2: Do that anything, stop the coffee before the run.
Speaker 1: Okay, what it is? A do you see? You said the pandemic kind of helped with some numbers of people running. What else happens when you to cause a spike if you will and people kind of signing up? Is it? It could be a maybe a celebrity, a particular celebrity getting a lot of tension running a marathon. Is it? I don't know, some renewed focus on health that's in the news. What what is it that kind of ends up prompting people where you where you still to see another wave of people want to.
Speaker 3: I think it is mostly social and friends, right, I think? You know, I know a person who got into running because her friend said, you know, you had a rough year. You need to have a better year at the you know, and and so why don't you sign up for New York Roadrunners and start running? And you know it changed, you know that person's life. I've met people who moved to New York, didn't know anyone here and went on our website and found a run club and that became their set of friends. And maybe they met a boyfriend or a girlfriend or whatever in the run club. If people find their community through running, and that, to me, that's actually the best part of it, is the community that you find. And the run club scene has just exploded. I mean, we've got all these new clubs that have come up and have registered with us on our website, and we have a we have a whole club points competition throughout the year at road Runners where the clubs compete against each other in all the different age categories and all this stuff. So that's a huge part of it, and I think that's what's really keptic. I think they started for the runs and they stayed for the people.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful. And I love running with friends. All the marathons I've run, I've run with friends. We challenged ourselves and did a double marathon. We did Chicago and then New York. You all helped get us into that. But just to do it with friends, I can't even imagine doing it alone. I know some people do, and that's great, but I love the social component of it and to share in the experience, to look back and forth, and to just be a part of something outside and larger than yourself. It really is this. I can't think of another thing that a normal, I should say ordinary person could do where you'd have thousands of people cheering for you, Like unless you're an Olympian or you're a professional football player, some sort of professional athlete. The only way you can experience just maybe a small amount of what that feels like to be cheered on and to push through pain. It's running a race, and it could be any race. It doesn't have to be a marathon, but that is I wanted to like in the moment, and you want to share it with the people next to you. But this is unique, This is special, and not many people get to feel this excitement other than professional athletes, and it's remarkable. Why do How did you get started with running?
Speaker 3: I ran cross country and high school. I remember that there was a gym class where I think I was in seventh grade, and the teacher was like, Okay, I'm going to go run the mile. Let's see, let's see what you can do. I was really a baseball guy. Baseball was my favorite sport from forever and still is in a lot of ways. But so baseball was my focus. But we went out and ran this mile, and I think the first mile I ran was like six to Oho one or something like that. It was something in that neighborhood, like it was in the low sixes. And the gym teacher was like, Okay, you should really be on the cross country team. So I was like, okay, I didn't even know what cross country was. So they got me running across country. I was into it because it got me out of gym class, so I didn't I didn't have to you know, go hang out, you know during during gym class. I could do whatever I wanted to hang out in the library or whatever. So I started running cross country and I would do that in the fall and play baseball in the spring, and I, you know, I had kind of a love hate relationship with a cross country If anybody out there is ever a running cross country, it's intense. You know, You're you're running five days a week and you're doing hill repeats and you know a lot of intense workouts. So in some ways I loved it. In some ways I kind of hated it and really wanted to do baseball. So I played baseball through high school, you know, went to college law school, and I kind of rediscovered running in my last year of law school. I was in Boston and I went out. It was actually a baseball connection. I went out to the Red Sox game on Patriot's Day in Massachusetts, which is a state all day. The Patriots play an eleven am game, sorry, the Red Sox play an eleven am game, and then you walk outside and that's the day of the Boston Marathon. And so I walked out and saw the finish of the Boston Marathon and I was like, I saw these people crossing the finish line. I was like, I've got to do this. This looks amazing. And so the very next week I sent in for an application to the New York City Marathon and was lucky enough to get in my first try. It was a while ago before you know, it was quite as hard to get in maybe as it is now. And that's kind of what got me back into it.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that. But what what How did you go from? Why do you want to be the head of New York road Runners. You're a lawyer, you have a like you're Harvard or an excuse me at least ivy leave because I have to have a hard lost.
Speaker 3: That's where I was going while going Boston.
Speaker 1: Let me get it right now, But you go from that, But you always wanted to be the head of this organization.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I had a lot of great roles in my career. I practiced law for a few years, and then I was in your world for a while. I mean I was at ESPN and I bit at ABC News, and so I did the media thing. And I loved sports and loved media, and so I spent almost twenty years between ESPN, ABC and NBC Sports in that world and got to do some amazing things, both in front of the camera and mostly behind the camera. But I loved sports and I loved New York, right, and so when this opportunity came along, and I'd run two marathons, you know, the first one, and then I ran another one like sixteen years later, And when I got a call about this, and I just said, Wow, Okay, it's running, it's New York, it's sports, and not only that, but it's also for a purpose. You know, it's got a mission. So it's not just and I you know, I'd spent my whole career in for profits, so you know, it wasn't just money and shareholder value and the stock price and all that. It was, Hey, we're actually trying to help people through running, you know, we're trying to do change lives, and so I couldn't resist that. The kind of checked all the boxes for me of some thing that I wanted to do, and and right here in my hometown. So it's been great.
Speaker 1: Did you you Pauls as well when he said he ran a six oh one in high school.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was blown away. I've never run anything in with a six in front of it at all.
Speaker 1: If folks are listening, you're not a runner and have a handle on this. If a six minute mile is elite from a high schooler, that's definitely you must have been the national champion that year.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, I could run a decent clip, but I mean you got you got guys out there running sub fives left and right. So I mean I was fast for my school for sure.
Speaker 1: But I said, you were a high schooler, Hey, go run a mile. You just put together a six. Yeah it was okay, he knows that's a big deal. That's not a small thing. You know.
Speaker 3: What's funny is and by the way, speaking of times, I actually brought some of your both of you time, I decided to do a little look at some of your times. You know, I run about as fast now TJ as I did like twenty years ago. Wow, And I don't really know. I look at that and I'm like, Okay, Well, maybe that's good because I've stayed in shape, or maybe it's bad because I should have been a lot faster than I wasn't pushing myself hard enough when I was younger. But you, guys, I like the times. First of all, Amy, you know a great track record of running. You go back to twenty seventeen. Do you remember what your first race with the roadrunners was?
Speaker 2: No, I don't.
Speaker 3: It was the twenty seventeen Shape Women's Half Marathon. Oh right, April thirtyeth twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: The funny story about that one is I wasn't ever intending on running the whole thing. I was doing a relay race with Sarah Haynes, and I said, I'll do seven, you'll do she'll do said we ran one mile together. So I did six miles by myself, and then she and I ran six to seven together, and then I was going to stop, except for I didn't want to stop, so I just kept going. So I'm sure that time is awful because I was huffing and puffing and hyperventilating when I crossed the finish line because I didn't train.
Speaker 3: Not awful, It was two twenty seven. You're at eleven eighteen pace and you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was bad, but you don't understand what it was like the last three months.
Speaker 3: Now look at you. Now, you you ran the half, the twenty twenty three United Airlines NYC half in a pace under nine minutes a mile.
Speaker 2: I did was it one fifty four four? So I shaved off thirty minutes of a half marathon?
Speaker 3: Really good? I mean you shaved a lot of time off over the course of your time running.
Speaker 2: You don't know why because I actually trained. When you don't train, it's really hard, and then when you do train, it's a lot easier. I learned that the hard way.
Speaker 3: It does make a difference and your marathon times, Amy, I mean, you are you are definitely within range of running a sub four hour marathon and you are at four fourteen. So how big? How big a goal is that for you?
Speaker 2: It's been a goal. I've run five marathons now, I guess, and I keep wanting to get that sub four and we we almost we had it.
Speaker 1: We were it was we had it last. So the four to fourteen was the last one, right, yes, okay, so if you know, I don't know what we've talked about it here, but yes, that was a we were on pace to crush a sub four. We were on pace. All of a sudden, she wants to stop at every water stack.
Speaker 2: I got, I got.
Speaker 1: What's happening here? So I turned back and looked back, and she's having the water, but she's slowing down real slow. And then twenty two two.
Speaker 2: Sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, and we had to pull over what was at least a five plus minute stop for a marathon.
Speaker 2: That's time.
Speaker 1: It was tough.
Speaker 2: And then you can't get your mojo back. You just can't get your rhythm back. And I was so frustrated because you don't know what's going to happen race day. I haven't figured out, still, even after five marathons, how to fuel myself without getting sick. It's it's a it's a it's a dance. What do you eat before, what do you eat during? What do you how much do you drink? How and how what's the weather like? Every think there's so many variables, but yes, I do want to get a sub for that is something I've always wanted.
Speaker 3: If you were on pace that long, it means you can do it.
Speaker 2: I know I can't. I know I can't.
Speaker 1: And if I was, I don't know, a little more selfish, I would have kept going in.
Speaker 2: I know, Oh you could. You could probably get a three thirty. I bet.
Speaker 3: All right, TJ. I'm looking at your times now, and they should be exactly with hers. Most of them are, but Brooklyn, because you ran Brooklyn exactly the twenty twenty two Brooklyn Half, very impressive, one forty six two a an eight six per mile pace. So you're talking about that about a six minute mile, but that was just one mile. You ran thirteen miles, just about eight minutes a mile. That's legit, that's impressive. That's impressive.
Speaker 1: I ran that one by myself. I noticed.
Speaker 2: I know, and I've said that the whole time. I know that you would be in a much better category.
Speaker 1: To your point about community, there is no way after training with her for for a marathon for five plus months, training for a half marathon for three plus months, that going through all that with her than on race day, I not be with her is not enough. It never crossed my mind to keep going. I said, it's more important for my personal relationship than it than to get a PR. It really is. So there was no question, and we were crushing that marathon.
Speaker 2: I know we were.
Speaker 1: She started stuff started coming out while we were running.
Speaker 2: I tried, well, that's what happened. I did not want to stop, but then my body insisted, yeah, that happens sometime.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's said we had. You guys have been absolutely great, great, great, great to us and Stuart Lieberman and your team over the years have been wonderful. And we talk about running here a lot because we love it and we enjoy such a part of our life, but we don't I don't think we do focus enough on how much it has meant to us over time for our mental health. It really, really really has been a life saver for me personally and for I know for Robot with robog was the one who recognized something in me that was going on and pushed and encouraged me to get into running. So it has and you all have been a part of that journey. So thank you, really, thank you all for all you have done from and.
Speaker 2: For sharing that with the world with and your work with children, because when you can get kids to see the magic or feel the magic of running and feel their own strength, so many people, but children especially feel powerless. And when you give them this tool that they can utilize and access without a gym, it's free and you can run almost anywhere. Talk about why your work with team for kids because it's such a beautiful thing. I love, Oh my gosh, when I see kids running and I see them building, it makes me so happy because I know the joy that they're going to have with them always able to access. I think I pushed my daughters too far because I so badly wanted them to run with me. They did do the Brooklyn It was the Brooklyn five K I did with them. I have the cutest pictures of that. They made it. They felt so accomplished. But I think maybe because mom wanted them to do it so badly, they resisted. But now I've got my oldest running sending me pictures of her runs, and she still won't let me follow her on Strava, but because she knows I'll get obsessive about it. But I start to see it comes back to them, even if because it is a thing where mentally you can resist it, like why am I doing this? This is hard and as a kid, it's hard to explain to a kid why you would keep doing it. But I do love that there's a foundation and what you're creating for them, and then yes, they can always come back to it. I know TJ's trying to do the same thing with Sabine right now, well, trying not.
Speaker 1: To push her, but she's on. She's eleven, She's joined her track team for the fifth graders and got her. She is the most beautifully outfitted fifth grader you will ever see. I even have her coordinated New Balance shoes, new Balance socks, new Balance bag, new Balance hoodiewali sut. She walks in like she's about to run a six minute mile. You know what, I love it's brand. But if she's wearing shoes that actually New Balance provided gifted to her, that end up being gifted to my daughter. So New Balance, we are using the shoes, so thank you. But it is it's you don't want to push them too far, but to see them getting into it, and it isn't that event you talk about in time Square. I'm trying to get her to do that as well. She's uh, she's not there yet. But it's just we we love it so much and it's just meant so much to us, and you all have meant so much to us, and we we we can't let you get out of here without asking because it's been in the news lately, just what happened with the young lady, the college student in Georgia, the runner there Lake and Riley. But what what do you all certainly your heart's break, much as you all love running and support runners, but what is your issue maybe sometimes with the conversation that's had around safety when it comes to running, and what do you all recommend to anyone but women in particular when it comes to running.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was really a heartbreaking story. It was hard for me to read that about a young woman who was you know, attacked and harmed that way, you know, doing the thing that we are talking about doing and running. Unfortunately, it happens too often, you know. I actually, you know, posted something on my Instagram about that, and I had a number of women reach out to me and say, you know, I've had issues you know, in different places in New York City or wherever it might be. You know, it simply should not be a thing that a woman has to worry about her safety being harmed or harassed to go out for a run. It just shouldn't be. And it's it's frankly on everybody to make that stop. You know, it's on It's on men, women, everybody to be allies to people who are running and make sure that we're keeping each other safe out there. You know. As far as advice, I mean, we have put out you know, some you know, some things over the years about runner safety. You know, personally, I think the number one thing that you can do is run with other people. You know, we talked about that, and running in groups has so many benefits. Safety is one of them. There's no question about it. And so it's just people are safer in groups, there's no question about it. There are there are things that runners can can purchase and buy to you know, pepper spray on wristbands or things like that for self defense. You know, some people might choose to do that, some people might might not want to do that, but you know, I just think being around as many other people as you can be when you're running, and it's it's easy to say that in Manhattan. It's harder to say that, you know, maybe in you know, more rural areas. So I don't you know, I'm not here to say don't run by yourself, but you know, since safety is an issue for runners and especially women, I think it's always great to have even if it's just one running buddy.
Speaker 2: Oh, you can even have someone bike next to you. I've done that before too as well. And I know one of the things about running with folks and getting the excitement to share with other people are those races that you were talking about. And I just would encourage anyone who's even considering starting running or starting back to running to sign up for a race, because now you're on the hook. Like now you've got a goal. And even if you think you might not want to, you know you have to because you've you know, you've done that. I think I've done that to myself. You're you know, playing a mental game with yourself, like I want to keep going, I want to make this work. If I sign up for this race, now I have to train. Now I have to run. So I love that whole component. I love that you all have so many different opportunities for all types of runners. And and I just think wherever you live, check your local running organization, because there's a way to do it, and there's a way to kind of force yourself to be on the hook that race day.
Speaker 3: Sign up for that race, and then you know, it's even better, tell three people that you signed up for the race, right, put it on social media, exactly, put it out there in the world, right, don't keep it a secret to yourself. So now you've got people going to, you know, ask me, oh, yeah, how's the training for that race going? How'd that race go? Right? You got the accountability as well.
Speaker 2: I love that Rob civil Care nailed it. I get it.
Speaker 3: It's so much easier than it looks. It is.
Speaker 2: It is it is. Thank you so much for coming and again to echo what TJ said, thank you for all that you all have done for us to support us as runners. We tend to be a little bit of procrastinators. So when sometimes the races are are no longer available, y'all sneak us in anyway, So we are very appreciate. Sometimes we just crashed races. We've done that before too.
Speaker 1: Are you telling people this stuff? We sound like we're getting no folks, we signed up on time, we made the deadline. We're not getting any special privileges.
Speaker 2: You're just not talking. We'd like to and in a perfect world I would have been better about it. But no, thank you. We do appreciate it.
Speaker 3: There's not much we can do for you, guys to help you run thirteen point one miles, so you got to do that yourself. There's nothing we can do for you. There.
Speaker 1: Almost quit runn last year because of the because it was really cold, cold, it was seventeen degrees. I think, oh, I ended that race and I almost I said, I want to quit running. That was the worst run, not worst race. Well, that was the worst time I ever had running in my life.
Speaker 2: That was the day you met rob You probably got a really bad I guess it was.
Speaker 1: After the race.
Speaker 2: Is angry like it was.
Speaker 1: Oh you the head of New York Road Runs with the with the with the Weaver. Appreciate having you. We're going to see you plenty down the road. But thank you.
Speaker 3: We'll see you both at the finish line. Thank you very much for having me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: But folks, you know where to find us. Of course, Roboc and I both on our Instagram accounts, also on TikTok and we Also you can find the show at Amy and TJ Podcast on Instagram.