Speaker 1: This is the Meat Eater Podcast coming at you shirtless, severely, bug bitten, and in my case, underwear listeningcast. You can't predict any of this. The Meat Eater Podcast is brought to you by First Light. Whether you're checking trail cams, hanging deer stands, or scouting for el, First Light has performance apparel to support every hunter in every environment. Check it out at first light dot com. F I R S T L I t E dot com. Joined today by a man who in one second, seven months will become a Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame inductee.
Speaker 2: Who hold on, Thank.
Speaker 1: You, linebacker Clay Matthew. There it is.
Speaker 3: You got a Viking's female sweater on.
Speaker 2: It is female because it is my It's mat fiance.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, Well he's trying to shake your confidence, man. And there's a joke Chester made that I only just now got.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I explain it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can explain it.
Speaker 1: This morning when Clay and I were driving down the road, Clay Matthews and I were driving down the road and Clay Matthews is talking about moving to play with the Packers, and he commented that how much people in Wisconsin like their deer hunting, and he said they would come to the games dressed in hunter's orange. That's your joke, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, Yeah, Krinn said where jerseys? And I didn't have a jersey, so I put on some blazer of orange because that's pretty much the team colors during a home game when it's cold.
Speaker 3: That's when you know it's season. It's late November, when gun season opens, there's camm and blaze orange and you can see that all around those games are.
Speaker 1: This is my sporting jersey. Have to do with wrestling?
Speaker 4: What's when I it's like everybody to know that Steve is holding his shirt out in the exact fashion a small childhood. Ask me about this. That's the octopus.
Speaker 1: Whell So I got a gaff into a huge octopus. Well, I need to share this with you here one up in a situation, I got a gaff into a huge octopus and he fought me off and got away with the gaff. And then later we were laughing about now that octopus is running around down there with a gaff.
Speaker 3: So why why would I be in this position in the future?
Speaker 1: As if you ever get out, So here's when you lose a fight with the octopus. Here's what happens. He gets stuck to the whole of the boat and there's no amount of nothing is going to get him off the hole that boat. Okay, but when you give up the fight, he just drops away. So I got this gaff in his arm.
Speaker 3: He's huge.
Speaker 1: I have pictures of it. I got a gaff into his arm, and we can't drag him on the boat. My wife and her friend are not being kind of helpful. And eventually he keeps moving down the whole of the boat and I can't hold on. It's either I'm gonna get dragged into the ocean or I'm gonna have to let go, and I let go. I told this story in the podcast, and the guy rode in with the most genius idea in the world. When you get one stuck to your boat like that and you can't get it in the boat, just reach over there and put a hook into it on a rod. Oh, get a hook into the meaty part of his arm, and then be like, okay, you win. I give up open the bail. He's gonna push. Then you get a second chance, fight him back up the boat and them again.
Speaker 5: It sounds like your second Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: No, that is a great tip.
Speaker 5: I didn't see you writing any of those down, will I will.
Speaker 3: I will keep that in mind next time i'm gaffing off to push ye gaffing gaffing, I'm sorry if you haven't don.
Speaker 1: Cuts of your super Bowl ring? Yeah, what year is this now?
Speaker 3: This is from twenty ten? We uh damn? Yeah, that's nothing now nowadays because every team that wins the super.
Speaker 2: Bowl it's a things massive.
Speaker 3: How can they make it bigger than the year prior? So the last couple of years teams have been making so that top part can actually and this one doesn't, but you can actually take the top off and inside they'll have like a replica of the stadium and whatnot. So that's, you know, from super Bowl forty twenty ten. So, I mean it's an older I would consider an older super Bowl ring you compare it to the other ones, I mean, they might as well be wearing on two knuckles now, it's they're that big.
Speaker 1: Sacks on this game. I didn't can you ever get these just done in brass knuckles? Five four rings altogether?
Speaker 3: Tom Brady could yea. Not many others though.
Speaker 1: That's impressive, man.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you better pass that thing around.
Speaker 1: Did you wear it out? And about then?
Speaker 3: No, I've never worn it out.
Speaker 1: I feel like a blowharder.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: And then every year there's a there's there's a new there's a new winner every year, so you can't. And I feel like it's a great thing to wear when you go back to you know, if I if I go back to Green Bay for whatever it may be. If you know, for instance, next year the Hall of Fame, the Packers Hall of Fame, perhaps I'll wear that. But otherwise, like you're wearing your super Bowl ring out, that says a lot about.
Speaker 2: You, kind of like wearing a hat with more personality than you have.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: I used to bartend in Missoula, and there's an old timer who played for the Raiders and had a Super Bowl under his belt, and he wore his his super Bowl ring.
Speaker 5: But at that time, uh, you.
Speaker 4: Know, I imagine that was more of a common thing because it looked way more of a ring than this.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not saying I wouldn't wear it for free drinks. I'm assuming that.
Speaker 1: You you might not be old enough to get this reference. But when I put it on, I feel like Liberachi.
Speaker 3: I know, Liberaci, there's a lot of sparkling.
Speaker 1: A lot of sparkle. You ever hear players get a little hard up and selling their rings.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've heard.
Speaker 1: What do they get for him when they do that?
Speaker 3: It depends on the player. I mean there's there's been some who will put there I don't know about rings, and I'm sure it's happened. But bigger name guys, we'll take it to auction and they'll bring in lots of money.
Speaker 1: So Tom Brady sold his whole ring collection, that's gonna be millions of dollars.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because it's I mean it would I don't know what that would go for if he sold, if he sold one ring, I'm sure that would be at least seven figures.
Speaker 5: It's a heck of a weight.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's really heavy.
Speaker 5: That's wild.
Speaker 1: Okay, hang tight, Clay, Okay, we're gonna cover off on some stuff, all right. I had the opposite of a correction? What would you call it? Phil? What would you you know, when we do corrections where you're wrong, what'd you call it? If you were right?
Speaker 5: So someone's writing proven you're right, or the person writing.
Speaker 1: I said something I got shot down and then turns out I'm right. I think that's a yeah, you're just proving your point. Yeah, okay, I'm gonna prove my point on something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Their day. Uh. There was a biologist named Carmen van Bianki sitting right where you're sitting right now, and I was telling her about the late comedian Jerry Klower, who would tell uh as he said, he doesn't tell funny stories, he tells stories funny. I was talking about how Klower is such a fan of great detail in his hunting stories, and I was saying that a miss a mess up that Klower had as he's telling a story about a guy that used to he didn't believe in shooting raccoons out of a tree. He'd like to climb the tree, knock the raccoon out with a stick, and then let the dog, let the raccoon fight it out with the dog, because he felt you had to give a raccoon a fighting chance, and if that raccoon wanted to lick all those dogs and walk off, it was up to him. But he didn't want to shoot it. And Klower has a story about this guy, John Newbanks, climbing into a tree and getting into a fight with a it's not a raccoon. He punches it with a stick, but it winds up being, as Klower said, a lynx. And Klower says it was a lynx. We called them souped up wildcats. Now, Carmen van Bianki that was in your seat is a lynx researcher. Then someone said, well, I don't think Klower messed up. I think that there's so much name confusion because the bobcats Lenaean name is Lynx rufus right, so they're like I think that people used to use linx and bobcat interchangeably, or in some areas they would call a bobcat a lynx. And I listened to that story to check what I was talking about. Klower just prior to that uses bi. Yeah, I notice that too. He says cuts out. You don't have to worry. He says he's talking about his dog, Brummy. He said, when old Brummy cuts out, you don't have to worry about no possum or no bobcat.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then when John Newbanks gets into the tree, he says it was a lynx MM, which don't range into Mississippi now, and then cal will get frustrated if we talk about something that does not matter. Can you imagine him right now, just giving you like this.
Speaker 5: It's like you're inside my brand.
Speaker 1: It's like, what am I doing?
Speaker 4: I want everyone here to note the patience that I was having. I was really thinking that it was going to come back to our podcast guest.
Speaker 1: Surely this is going to come home and hit home in some way. It's near and dear to me. Cal's thing. We're gonna Uh uh so Chester's here, Max Barter's here. I've asked you. I can't remember the answer. You no relation to tread BARDA Yeah, I do you do?
Speaker 5: He's my uncle.
Speaker 1: Oh I I tell everyone that. But no, same spelling, same spelling. Yeah, isn't it isn't. It wasn't his slogan, I don't do things the hard way. I do things the bar away. You can just do you ever? Just steal that tattoo?
Speaker 5: No get a tattoo?
Speaker 1: I said, that's a tattoo right there. Thay Seth Morris is here, Doctor Randall and uh callahan krins off where she sits. We're nooking here, doctor Randall.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: We're excited. We are about the long Hunter Audio originals performing nicely people are enjoying it. We're very excited. It's got some negative reviews. Just don't a couple the top review. Clay opens up the reviews. So me and Clay narrate it. Worked on it with Randall. Clay opens up the reviews in the first review, I don't like that, Clay nwcom guy. It just deflates you, man, it's so bad.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just want to call Apple and be like, he just move that, like to another area.
Speaker 2: A lot of people say they like Clay's voice.
Speaker 1: You know that there's always gonna be some negative thing.
Speaker 4: Can't please everybody, Yeah, the people who say positive things. Typically that takes more energy to write in about something positive than to complaint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he likes something, you just sort of quietly like it. It don't feel the need to tell anybody. It's way more fun to criticize things. Yeah, my buddy Tommy Ed's in the blue collar Scholar. He might have a criticism. He might have wrote it. I get a text from him. Why are there two narrators? I said, it's a long story.
Speaker 5: That's it. Just just that that's it, and say, hey, it's pretty good. Not a question for you.
Speaker 1: Nope, Nope, geez, Tommy, he didn't comment sandwich. That No, Oh, Krin, did you see the article about how you shouldn't give comment sandwiches?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Did you share that with me? The compliment sandwich, which we've covered on the show, is like you say, do I need to do it again? I do it all the time.
Speaker 6: People get it.
Speaker 1: We're good to offer criticism. The new way to offer criticism is to say I have a hell of a lot of respect for you. You could do better.
Speaker 5: Wow, that seems like your dad's like yelling I eat about something.
Speaker 1: We're gonna do the second installment of Oh No, First, we're gonna do this. We have a kids podcast coming out. We're gonna do a bunch and see how they do. We're gonna do five. We're gonna do five kids podcasts four or five kids podcasts five?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: Why did why did it change a minute ago when I talked to you, Let's go with five.
Speaker 5: It's a real peak behind the curtains going on, Yeah, we're.
Speaker 1: Gonna try it.
Speaker 9: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't really know. People discourage you from from kids content.
Speaker 5: There's an ongoing email chain as we speak, trying to get down to the bottom of this.
Speaker 1: So just so people know when they see it. Here, here's the thing that's gonna happen if you listen to this. And I never tell people that this is there's kids that listen, but I never tell people this is a kids show because you'll find out in a minute. One of the reasons is not a kids show when we get to talking about a broken reproductive organ on a wild hog. But but in all fairness, I would talk about that with my kids because we're pretty open with them about stuff. Here's the trouble with the kids. It's not trouble with the kids podcast. It's just hard. We're gonna see if people like it. I think that I know we have a ton of young parents out there that listen. And we did a kid's book and our and our kids book was became a number one New York Times Best which inspired us to do a kid's podcast. The kid's podcast is gonna run like this, and you're gonna see it in your feed because we're not gonna build I don't think we're gonna build its own feed. We're gonna see how people like it and how they respond to it. So if you're listening and you start seeing this kid's podcast pop up in your feed, and you're not a kid and you don't have kids, just ignore it. Go on to the next thing. It's the kids Show. The Kids Show is very short. It has three components to it. I come on and do a little mini history lesson. Okay, we're gonna do a kid and I have kids, so I've had kids for thirteen years. I don't want two Mountain horn. In thirteen years. I've established my credentials as someone who explains things the kids a lot, so I kind of get how to explain things to kids. So I'm just doing it all the time. I talk about in the first one, why teddy bears are called teddy bears? Okay, which is a bear hunting story. And then we're gonna do one about animals that are crepuscular, not nocturnal, not die crepuscular, stuff like that. Then we do a thing that kids are gonna love, where it's animal noises. And it's like a clue game as you build up to guess what animals make in that noise. And we have some phenomenal wildlife noises and you'll hear it. You be like that ain't no animal, but it is, and so it's a guessing game. And then there's Kids Trivia where we have a bunch of kids come into the studio and it's a three question trivia show and instead of them competing against one another, which is what they would like to do, they work as a group to raise money for conservation. So, you know, like the only game show where conservation ours wins, me Eater Trivia, This is the only kids show where conservation ours wins, and their day the only kids show where belching ours wins. No, how did that go, Fiel? That was a good joke.
Speaker 5: We don't want to spoil it. But there's involved.
Speaker 1: Yes, the kids at the table earn money for every right question they get and it can be accumulative. So if you ask ten kids a question and all ten kids get the question right, they would earn fifty bucks, one hundred bucks, something like that, and it goes on. And so they're contributing by getting the answers right and wrong. They're contributing to a pool of money collectively that then goes to support conservation organs organizations. We don't let the kids pick, I guess, Spencer picks for them. Yeah, Spencer hosts that and it's a panel of kids. So if you got kids, you might like this. And if it works, well, we'll keep doing it. If not, and I'll we'll keep you posted. If it's not resonating and people don't like it, we're not gonna do it because it's a heavy lift. It's like hard to find advertisers for a kids podcasts. I'm just being really upfront.
Speaker 2: I was wondering why there was all kinds of havoc going on the other day. Oh yeah, just running around and next thing I know, they're in my office eating a bunch of candy.
Speaker 1: And you know the worst thing about having the kids podcasts, my kids participate, and I'm always bringing junk from home and putting it on the free table. In a minute, my kids come that door, they go to that free table, find stuff, and then bring it back to my house.
Speaker 2: I gave him some stuff.
Speaker 1: No, they come, they like, they don't stop. Then you know there's candy around. They look hard enough. The first thing they're gonna do is go to that free table, fill a bag up with a bunch of hats whatever. Yeah, and then go back home with all that stuff and fight about it like it was never laying around. I'm like, the reason it's on the free table is because it was here and no one wanted it.
Speaker 5: I think you're kind of under selling the show, though, switch back, because.
Speaker 1: Because get in there, well I sell the hell out of it.
Speaker 7: Well you did.
Speaker 5: You're like, I don't know what's gonna happen. It's hard to do.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 5: But I just want to say that we played it for Spencer the other day and he thought he thought it was one of the best things we've ever done as a company.
Speaker 1: Hold on, you played it for who?
Speaker 5: We played the rough cut of the pilot episode for Spencer and he loved it. He was over the moon about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the best thing we've ever done.
Speaker 10: I'm twenty seven years old, and I think I'm gonna listen to this podcast.
Speaker 1: I might in a thing or two. I'm not under I'm trying to oversell it. I'm just trying to clarify why you see a kid's show in this feed, and I'm asking people to bear with us. Don't be annoyed, don't be like, what in the hell is this? It's just because we're doing it and to benefit America's children. That sounds that sounds. We're doing it for America's children, and then after five, if we see an appropriate response, it'll move and live on its own, and so you won't always have to wonder why this kids show is on your thing. If you have parents, I think you're gonna like it. We're gonna jump into a second installment. Oh, can you share the pictures with Clay Matthews. Yes, we're gonna jump into the second installment of our trail cam series. The last one we did Cats we focused on Ditch Cougar's Mountain Lions, Bobcats, and then and then, but there's all the last time we did crazy trail Cams. There's a little thing to Happen where we were talking about what not to send in, and we were laughing about someone who just sends in a picture of a pig a wild hog with his lipstick out, and Krinn we were laughing about Krinn has to open all these up. And so we were sort of pointing this one out as an example of something not worth sending in, like pigs get excited, pigs reproduced just because you happen to get a trail cam photo of a pig ready aroused, aroused that doesn't need to go to Krinn, and so we dogged on the guy. Then the guy rode in saying, you got me all wrong.
Speaker 5: I've seen a lot of lipstick and this one's worse.
Speaker 1: He's like, sure, this guy does have his lipstick out all the time, but he points this out. It's stuck out, and he said it's flopping around. So he's always right, flops the water place never goes away over time. It's not that he has out, it's just out.
Speaker 5: My wife had a chiuahua like that.
Speaker 1: Oh hang tight. So we're gonna call a veterinarian here and she's gonna explain something. Can you hear this good?
Speaker 5: Put the bottom of the phone right up to the like the front of the microphone. Make sure your volumes talking volume all the way up.
Speaker 1: Hello, Divina, are you ready to talk about the pig?
Speaker 5: Let's talk about it.
Speaker 1: So I'm on the phone with the Divina. We have a resident genius. We have Doctor Randall, but he's not the resident genius. We have an actual resident genius, an actual resident genius named Hunter Spencer. And I'm on the phone with Hunter Spencer's spouse, who is a veterinarian. And I called her about this pig, and she clarified she's not a hog man, but she has some things to discuss.
Speaker 2: Divina, I have some I do have some animal knowledge.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I can share. So share it with this gentleman named Jacob who we teased, and now we owe an apology and an explanation.
Speaker 5: Put the fun in the front of your mic, Steve, where you talking about.
Speaker 7: Are we referring to the pig or are we referring to dogs and cats?
Speaker 1: Well, you can do what you think is going on with the pig based on what you know goes on with dogs.
Speaker 7: Okay, So in the photos that you sent, obviously the pigs penis is out. That's called paraphemosis in dogs and cats, pigs it is. It actually is a rare phenomenon that it can't happen. It's more common in dogs. It can happen for a number of reasons, but the most common reason in bogs is that they get an erection. The penis comes out of the prepuce, which is the skin that houses the penis. The penis dries out and then it can't go back in the place. Sometimes you can also especially in large in long haired breaths, the hair can get wrapped around the penis prevents it from going back in. So it's typically one of those scenarios.
Speaker 1: Vini honsec yepa dragon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a lot.
Speaker 3: Of penis around.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, want to make sure our guess is following.
Speaker 4: There's lining up with anything. He's on the locker room. Just wait, you can answer that later. We got back to it.
Speaker 1: Go on to penis.
Speaker 7: Sorry, So anyway, I would say, what's happened with this pig is that he's had an erection and for some reason, the penis just hasn't went back.
Speaker 2: Into the sheath or the pre pews.
Speaker 7: In dogs, it can cut off circulation and the penis can actually end up falling off, which has I have seen happen. But in that particular photo that you said, it doesn't look like the penis is engorged. It looks like it's just more flaccid and just in the out position. So yeah, can you tell folks how you fix it?
Speaker 1: In dogs? This is a crazy story. Oh what surgeries did you do on animals? Today?
Speaker 7: I did a dental on a dog and then.
Speaker 3: We also did what did we do on that dog?
Speaker 7: Had a piometerrispe, which was an infected uterus in a dog Suspan neuters. You're your pets to prevent that. I have to plug that.
Speaker 1: And then the other dog.
Speaker 7: We did a sedation on and we did trim the nails on that dog because it won't allow them.
Speaker 1: You had to sedate a dog that you nails. Yes, yes, peanut.
Speaker 7: Butter, that happens quite often. Yeah, they hate their nails to be trimmed.
Speaker 1: Got it? So talk about how you fix this on a dog, because this is I don't know, I don't know what it is. I thought it was interesting.
Speaker 7: The most simple way to fix it, and generally what you do is you just wash the penis off gently using cool water. You apply some lubrication and then just pull the skin back over the penis.
Speaker 5: If it is too big.
Speaker 7: To sit back in, you would apply a hot hypertonic saline solution or sugar.
Speaker 5: Sugar pulls fluid out.
Speaker 7: So you can actually just pack the penis with sugar, yes, a few minutes and then pull the fluid out.
Speaker 3: I feel, yeah, you can, and then you can pick it back in.
Speaker 7: Sometimes you have to open make the opening larger, huh, in order to get it back over the penis, and then in cases where the penis has died, you actually have to amputate the penis and make it basically visually like a girl. You would just suture an opening up and the dog would pay through the opening instead of the end of the penis.
Speaker 1: Would they still lift their legs?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you ever cure them of lifting their leg Yeah?
Speaker 3: They normally will still do that.
Speaker 7: Yeahs behavior yeah, behavioral response. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So if you see that five pound bag of sugar at the vat, they're not just drinking a lot of.
Speaker 1: Divina. Dude, you don't even know how much I'm gonna We're gonna call you on this show now that you did such a good job of this. Oh, her family's from her family's longtime bear like app latch and black bear hunters hunters. Yeah, oh, plug your vet business.
Speaker 7: Well, I'll work so we live in Virginia Beach. I'll work at kimspill Venery Hospital.
Speaker 2: In Virginia Beach.
Speaker 1: And no, are you looking for clients or are you just trying to have it be either? You don't have to do anything down there.
Speaker 7: We always welcome clients. Yeah, so yeah, call us.
Speaker 5: Up until you become the regional penis specialist. Like, that's what's going to result out of this?
Speaker 1: So plugged plugged the business again.
Speaker 7: Yes, it's Kensvil Ventary Hospital in Virginia beach.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm not catching the first word. I'm sorry. Kemp spill k E m p s v I L L E god kemp spill Kempsville asked for divinum. Yes, okay, don't let other podcasts call you up. All right, No, another podcast wants to talk about something, telling me you can't because you're you got an exclusive.
Speaker 2: I'm loyal to you, guy, Yeah, you got.
Speaker 1: An exclusive here, right, You're like you're like doctor Phil used to be the Oprah for us not thinking the right guy?
Speaker 5: Yeah, doctor asked.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, Divina. You're welcome.
Speaker 7: Have a good one, guys, all right, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so there you go the guy we goove down, made it right and we all learned something. Yeah, Jacob, there you go, Jacob, sorry to dog on you man. I didn't think you were a pervert. Karen Mine, I don't know. Oh oh yeah, so this I'm catching the theme now. Another guy rote in, where where do people go to see all these pictures you want to post?
Speaker 9: Some of them on Instagram maybe, but if they're.
Speaker 1: Watching this episode, Oh okay, so yeah, if you're wonder what we're looking at, you can go on just just go watch the show on YouTube obl see the pictures. This one is a guy I rolled in. He's got he's got a picture of this buck alive, and he's got a picture of a buck dead. The buck dead is hanging right side up, head up. And the gentleman that rode in thought that his that the deer's scrot him was in front. So if you imagine deer going down the trail, his penis is leading in the way, leading the way, and his scrot them is taking up the rear.
Speaker 10: Cal would you say something about Frank's in the back?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: That that's something about Mary reference got got the beans before the frank.
Speaker 5: How'd you make that happen?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So your frank is first, your beans come take. If you're a deer, your frank is leading away and your beans are behind. Typically sends in a picture where there's a deer, what his beans are the head of the frank Krin sends it to Halffelfinger, deer biologist, great friend of the show, Halflefinger says it was a couple of things going on. One his halfle finger says, what you're looking at, what you think are enlarged beans, is a tumor, a scrow shaped tumor riding ahead of the frank, beyond the frank, behind the frank, and maybe related to the tumor is an atropheed scrotum.
Speaker 10: Next picture, I was gonna say, those don't look like testicles. Looks like something else was happening there.
Speaker 1: That's a Hefflefinger thinks.
Speaker 3: About that picture, Clay, I think it's a hernia, and I bring that from my sports background. You hear people having, you know, herniations, and they have to get that wire mesh put in.
Speaker 1: And we had a buck hernia.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you could see the what looks like the intestines might be spilling out. Maybe this veterinarian Virginia Beach can do a wire mesh implant before this buck was killed.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you'd mind me sharing personal information of yours.
Speaker 5: No, I go for it.
Speaker 1: Seth got diagnosed with I recently shared the experience of going down and having the boys Sonard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you and I have a very very similar experience, and.
Speaker 1: They told they read Seth's results. What do you call that when you when you're having a baby ultrasound? They read Seth's results.
Speaker 5: It's like life scope.
Speaker 1: But and they're like, oh, you got a hernia. And then Seth goes down to the hernia guy and he takes a look and tells Seth to get up and go home. He says, ninety percent of the people they send me down here, suppose you with a hernia don't have a hernia?
Speaker 5: Yep, surprised.
Speaker 2: What did you have just like a lot of gas or something?
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I do have that, but uh no, it's just a strained muscle, gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hey, can we put up Phil Do you have the technology? The technology to put up a photo of Max's hernia? Oh boy?
Speaker 5: If he sends it to me, yeah, we'll do that.
Speaker 1: The last part of the trail camp, the last trail camp picture we're gonna get into. And you this, you gotta there's there's nothing extraordinary about the trail camp photo. So June third, twenty twenty three, four twenty nine pm. Uh, it's a mountain lion walking through what looks to be a Riprairian area. But The story behind is pretty crazy because a man and woman that own this place, they're getting married on their property, and they get married on they get married at whatever the hell four o'clock June third, twenty twenty three. Okay, oh really, they get they get married June third, twenty twenty three at four pm. In this cell cam picture is a mountain lion that was snapped at June third, twenty twenty three, four to twenty nine pm. He's got a picture of where he got married and an arrow pointing to where the trail camp is. Yeah, at at four point thirty okay, and unbelow. Later they just pulled the card and they're like, oh my god, a mountain lion. And they looked at the date and time, and that lion was there while they got married, like right behind where they got married.
Speaker 2: That's cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's good. I had years ago. I was at wedding in Taos, New Mexico, and the gal I was with where I didn't know the people get married, but she did. And the preacher commented on the hawks circling overhead. There were buzzards. Oh. I turned to my date and said, I mean hawks.
Speaker 2: I think the mountain lion thing would be good luck. You know how they say if it rains at your wedding, it's good luck, good juju.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't know that.
Speaker 10: No, Steve, do you actually want me to send that?
Speaker 1: True? I think it'd be a good idea. Okay, I just think if you want to folks out there one see, like just a real no need to go get no ultrasound over this herdia. Yeah, give me definitely a heard you.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know there's that Bob Dylan quote, don't need a weatherman to tell the way the wind blows right, and that hernia diagnoses itself. Yeah, is he putting it up right now?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, it'll be a thirty seconds here.
Speaker 1: So Clay Matthew's your first duck ever today? First several ducks first, different kinds of stay closer to your mic way Yeah, sorry, Oh you' all right. Did not grow up around hunting though I didn't.
Speaker 3: I grew out in the outside of Los Angeles and hunting. No one hunting my family.
Speaker 1: Because they all played football.
Speaker 3: They all played football. Yeah, they were all busy during the fall, the best time a year to hunt. But yeah, I don't know once I got to uh uh, and I wasn't even I was always an outdoorsman. I always enjoyed the outdoors, just just messing around out there as a kid, but there's limited opportunities where I was living. And I think once I went to Wisconsin and Green Bay, that's when you know, I started to be around immerse myself in that culture of you know, white tailed deer, hunting, turkey, black bear, walleye fishing, king salmon, and I think that just kind of lit the fire, so to speak. And then I, you know, had the means to to book some of these hunts and travel a little bit more, and I think I just started down the path to where I'm That's where I'm at now, I might Okay, yeah, interrupted.
Speaker 1: That's that's not a testicle, I promise, yeah, wow surgery. Yeah. Anyway, I saw Clay Register that picture off the corner of his eyes striking were the kind of kidd was just good at all, like good at everything, good at all the sports.
Speaker 3: Not really I I was. I was good when I was young, very good, and then I got passed up because I went through puberty real late, like almost like my junior and senior year. Yeah, I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's it's hard to.
Speaker 3: Explain to people why I'm talking about my you know, becoming a man. But you know, and so I wasn't. I played in high.
Speaker 1: School and then all of a sudden, you weren't big anymore.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And I was getting passed up by everybody, and I had to my knees hurt, my heels hurt, I had chin splints. I was not a very good athlete. And finally my senior year, I grew about three inches and put on about forty pounds, and I was I was still coming into my own, you know, as far as an athlete is concerned. But my dad was our defensive coordinator and opted not to start me. So you know, that's just that goes a lot a lot of a lot of parents blow. Yeah, well, I mean rightfully, so I shouldn't have been starting. So I don't hold it against them whatsoever, but it makes it makes a story that much better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, layout who all who all in your family is involved in professional sure? Who? Like?
Speaker 3: Well started with college sports in the NFL. Yeah, it started with my grandfather, Clay Matthews senior. He went to Call He played football and was a boxer, but he went to Georgia Tech and then played for the forty nine ers and ended up serving in the Korean War. And this was back when football you didn't make a whole lot of money. And then two of his sons, which is one is my father, so Clay Matthews Junior, he played nineteen years in the NFL. And his brother, so my uncle Bruce, he played nineteen.
Speaker 2: Years as well. Business it's unheard of to play nineteen years too.
Speaker 1: He's in the You gotta have some sore parts, man.
Speaker 3: My dad seems to be in great shape. My uncle's he's you know, he's got some locked up elbows and from being in the trenches. But he's in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. And however, gosh, how many of his kids he's had. One is currently the starting left tackle for the Atlanta Falcons, Jake Matthews, who I've done a number of hunts with. My other cousin, Kevin, played for the Titans for for four or five years.
Speaker 2: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: Another one of his brothers, another one my cousins, was was with the Pittsburgh Steelers for a minute. And then on my side of the family, obviously, I you know, had my career eleven years in the league. My younger brother played, he went to the University of Oregon. He played five or six years, and then my older brother didn't play in the NFL but played college ball at University of Southern California. So I don't know how many that is, but yeah, football, it's yeah.
Speaker 2: They're like, what's your last name, son, Matthews?
Speaker 3: Okay, come on, Yeah, we've been blessed to have a body that can, you know, withhandle the riggers and punishment of the game. But I also think we're I think we're a little different in the sense of the competitive nature that we have and how you know, we want to be great and I truly believe that.
Speaker 6: Hm.
Speaker 1: I can't remember if I mentioned this before when we were talking to other athletes, but I got a friend who he's the first baseman with the Mats Pede Alonzo. You know you're here. He's been on the show and he's all right. He never knows if he's gonna be able to hunt on a bunch because if he's on it, if if they don't make the playoffs, it's a killer hunting year for him. Yeah, because he's what done in some time you're done.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you make the playoffs, you're screwed.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: October. So I asked him, I said, do you ever wind up sort in the back of your head hoping that you don't make the playoffs.
Speaker 3: He's like, no, Well, football is tough because our seri screwed. Yeah, if you're the worst team of the best team, we start in late July and we go all the way through. You know, the super Bowl goes through the first or second week of February. Now, but even if you don't make the playoffs, you're finishing January first second, So you could forget all those good hunting seasons.
Speaker 1: There's gotta be a lot of NFL guys like the hunt turkeys, because the only thing you can do.
Speaker 3: Honestly, there's there's not a lot of NFL players, And I could be wrong. I could be wrong, but I would say generally on each team you have a handful of guys, but maybe two to four people who might actually hunt. There's plenty of players who love to shoot guns, and you know who might be getting into archery or whatnot. But as far as putting the time, it's really difficult, and it's not until after their career, much like myself, that they start really diving into it. So they're just because of the time thing, exactly, just because of the time thing. It's just it's too difficult.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: You hear stories of Brett Faarr just obviously having played up in Green Bay. He show up, you know, he go out, who knows four or five in the morning and come back with bloody hands before a game. Yeah, there's some wild stories about Brett Favr of his hunting days and you know, just buck blood down the back of his truck bed and whatnot. But yeah, otherwise it's you know, I feel like there's not too many.
Speaker 1: What is the in your mind, what's the hunting and fishionists of the sports in terms of, like, you know, of the pro sports, what ones are most inclined. It's gotta be like hockey.
Speaker 3: I would say hockey, just because I feel like hockey is predominantly like Midwest East.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not the order, because there's a hell of a lot of hunters in the South. It just kind of has that feel to it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't see many basketball players going out hunting. I just don't. That doesn't seem like that's part of.
Speaker 1: Their it's not culturally woven in.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Football.
Speaker 1: You have a few. Remember we had the whole room full of baseball players. It was the day the Walalleye scandal broke. We played trivia though, those guys. Yeah, a whole ship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't know a team could have like eighty pitchers.
Speaker 1: It was like a roof of like a dozen dudes, Like, are you sure you guys all pitched for the same team.
Speaker 9: See.
Speaker 10: I don't think I can name a single hockey player that, like professional NHL player that put like hunts.
Speaker 1: Oh, I don't know what. I have strong feelings about things about that, right brother?
Speaker 10: Oh Mike Fisher, Yeah, yeah, that's one.
Speaker 1: What do you think is the hunting is pro sport baseball.
Speaker 5: Baseball or football?
Speaker 1: For well, wouldn't be football because you got to play football. Well, baseball you might get done in time. No hockey.
Speaker 10: The NHL hockey season starts in October and goes till June.
Speaker 1: So they can't do They can't do the rut or spring turkey, no, neither of them. But a baseball person can hunt. Yeah, if they're no good.
Speaker 5: What about a kicker?
Speaker 3: Kickers just want a golf kickers are notorious for the amazing golfers. Yes, because during practice and during training camp, kickers have one job. It's to kick, So they don't have to be in certain meanings. They gotta be in team meetings and whatnot, but they don't have to be it's a specialty. So while we practice for two hours, they might be called up for two periods and once you're kicking for you know, three minutes here and five minutes there, whatever it may be.
Speaker 1: They have a gravy job.
Speaker 3: Yes and no. I you know, I'm actually really good friends with our former Packers kicker Mason Crosby. But it's you don't need to be at the peak physical fitness, but at the same time, you're the first one they want to blame when you miss the game winning kick. When there's a million other plays throughout the game that could have affected the game one way or the other.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people could have made a point, but when he doesn't make a point, it's just.
Speaker 3: It's probably one of the most stress filled jobs, especially not for the kicker who might be able to see past that unless he's got a case of the yips. But you know, family members watch and at least with me, you know, I get an opportunity or used to. You know, fifty sixty seventy plays a game. You slip and fall, No big deal. You miss a tackle, you'll get him next play. You miss a kick, You're not getting him the.
Speaker 2: Next hear it.
Speaker 1: The only thing they do to you is you talked about how you never had a sack display, you never had a celebration, you never had a signature.
Speaker 3: I had one for a little while. Yeah you had a signature. Yeah, yeah, what was your signature?
Speaker 1: Can you get up?
Speaker 3: It's been a while. I might throw something out, but no. I So my my first year, I would point in my watch and like let everyone know what time it was. And it was like that was that was my little thing, and it was cool and yeah, just letting people know, yeah, dame time. Right. And but my next year, my brother's like, hey, you're gonna I got hurt in training camp and I didn't come back until week one, so naturally have time to you know, perfect your celebration. Everybody's got a celebration. And and so for my brother goes, hey, my older brother goes, you need to do something cool. Why don't you remember that that scene and Predator when Arnold faces off with Predator and the predator kind of outstretches his arms like this and he flexes.
Speaker 5: Yea, you need to do that.
Speaker 3: And so I got a sack on the first third down of the game, and in my head, I'm like, you know, like arms going, remember how to do it? Yeah, exactly, And it was the worst one. My hands were still clanched and it looked like I was like sumo squatting with it. But then I I kind of perfect a little bit, and then I got it out there. This is what I was doing. So that was my thing for a while, and I remember that, and then, you know, after after so many years and so many sacks, I'm just kind of like, ah, right, you just kind of just you do your thing. But yeah, everybody's yeah, there's a there's yeah. It was something like that. Yeah, it took the background.
Speaker 1: Oh see, I thought when we were when we were hunting ducks this morning, I kind of got a sense that you were a little bit eye rolly about the celebration.
Speaker 3: No, no, well, no, we were. We were talking about somebody's family, you know. They they just come from a different era where you know, the celebrate. It was all about the team. But nowadays it's like everybody. You score a touchdown, you get a sack, you tackle, Yeah, it's all about you. You sell yourself. You're building the brand so well. You know the old heads and you know exactly the old heads, they it's more about the team. But nowadays, you know they're trying to sell sell jerseys, sell you know, fans, sell out venue.
Speaker 5: I remember Joe Paterno used to say, act like you've been there before.
Speaker 1: M yeah, well, rehearsed celebration would convey to me that they're quite, that they're quite.
Speaker 5: He's very proficient to say it all the time. But that just meant like, score your touchdowns are changing.
Speaker 1: To yeah, yeah, meer state that got it in all that trouble. Wasn't that him from Pens.
Speaker 5: That was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well Sandusky brought him down with him, didn't he. Yeah, And here you are quoting him, well, quote, that's what you've been there before.
Speaker 5: I don't think I have any Stolin quotes.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 1: Uh, when you're on a team, how many like how many of like how many other people do you like? A lot? Like you just mentioned you're good friends with the kicker how many Like if you had to imagine, here's the whole lineup, there's gotta be some you can't stand all right, Sure, some of you, like whatever, don't really talk too much. Some are really good friends, Like what's that split look like?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think the first thing is, and not to get politically correct, but you're working towards a common goal, so you get along with everybody, and you you're accountable to one another. But that being said, what's great about the locker room is you can have a guy who grew up in the suburbs of l A hanging out with somebody from Miami, Florida, somebody from Maine up to Oregon, you know, working towards a common goal. So it brings people together that you'd never have an opportunity or you would never think that you would get along with. So I'll preface all that by saying that, but those yeah, and.
Speaker 1: I get it's true. It's true though, Okay, yeah, because the rivalries can't.
Speaker 3: But some of my best friends to this day, I mean, are guys where you I would get together with them, and it would you know, we'd look like one of these Hollywood movies of the two cops.
Speaker 1: You know, you got the white guy and the black guy, and.
Speaker 3: Then that's that's how it would be. But your closest with your position group, you spend the most time. For me, it was a linebacker, so there was a group of maybe seven or eight of us in a in a room and that's you know, we spend all our time together. And then you break out to go to for defense, to defensive meetings, so you've got half the team there, and then when you have a team meeting, so you don't spend a whole a great deal of time with the offense for me personally forging those relationships, but I do have some of my best relationship with the offense lineman who I went against and played against excuse me the most. But to answer your question, yeah, I mean that that there's guys that you really click with, but they're generally going to be in your position group. And then it kind of it furthers itself out based on how much you're together with them, because from the time you get there, everything structured. You show up at this time, you have special teams meetings, then it goes a team meaning then you go to defensive meeting. Then you go to you know, you break out for walkthrough, then you have workout. It's so you're structured and who you're with, so you just hope that you're with a good group of guys.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there was that one guy though not nah, there's.
Speaker 3: There's never that one guy because they don't last long. You know, you gotta you kind of got to buy in.
Speaker 1: What was the if you think back that you grew up without the exposure to the outdoors and now you're you know, you're in a position where you can start doing some honting and have been taking advantage of that situation. Can you what was your first awareness that this was a thing people did.
Speaker 3: Probably when I got out to Green Bay. I remember when I got drafted. I was, you know, I had to was still using Wikipedia to find out where Wisconsin was on the map green Bay. I know there's so much history, but I had to look it up. I had no idea where I was. I remember, because you were one age well I was, I was twenty two. But you just you're from the West coast, you know, like the East, but you don't study the Midwest, and so at least.
Speaker 1: I didn't and no, it's pretty you know. Yeah, and so that's not that's not crazy that Like I grew up Michigan. If you'd have told me, if you just said, oh, uh, Salt Lake City, right, I've been like, yeah, utah, how that fits into the broader like what touches that you know at that age.
Speaker 3: But when I was flying in, it was you know, everything was green. I flew in in you know, spring, and it was beautiful. But then once I got there, I mean I can't name an exact time or place, but just being around the culture, more than anything of hunting, fishing, outdoor, I think just kind of helped bring that out. Because I was there, you know for so long, for ten years, I think you just kind of immerse yourself in that culture and you assimilate. And there was just opportunities to go white tail huntings, to go turkey hunting where people are like, hey, you know, come along, you know, And so I picked it up and had a blast doing it.
Speaker 1: Everybody walking around with a bag of jerky snack sticks in your back pocket.
Speaker 3: Oh you got to go to a tailgate at Lambo. I mean there's there's there's beer, cheese, and brots. So you can't go wrong with that.
Speaker 4: I thought you were gonna throw the mosquitos in there at some point. So yeah, mosquitoes are are there bad mosquitoes up there? I guess I didn't go far enough north.
Speaker 3: In the parking lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, not in the fall July, I know, I'm yeah.
Speaker 3: J Lie is not too bad for I mean where we were. I'm sure if maybe up in the north Woods or it could get pretty bad, but where we are. You know, when they tell you to make that hand of where you know Green Bay is, I guess no.
Speaker 1: They don't do that hand for Wisconsin to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you hold it up like the territorial there.
Speaker 1: That's Michigan, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they got county door County is.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, Wisconsin will throw the hand. Yeah he's called that miss Michigan. Yeah, yeah, that's terrible.
Speaker 5: Yeah podcast having a kids show?
Speaker 3: Was there much of a rivalry between just growing up in Michigan, Like even outside of football, if you're not the biggest sports fan, just like Michigan versus are Wisconsin versus you know, Illinois.
Speaker 1: Or here's the deal with My mom was from Illinois and she remained my dad didn't know any about sports at all. Uh, my mom was a big sports fan. She had been raised in Illinois and what was when she was a kid, like farm Country, which became a big Chicago suburb, Neighborville. But she remained so dedicated to the Chicago teams. She like the Cubs, the White Sox, and we all like she was religious about the Bears, right, Okay, she would be out there. There was a I still some weird way I remember this. There's a radio. There's a radio station. There's a talk radio station in Chicago, WGN, And my mom actually had an antenna and would always be messing with this antenna on the roof. It was the ante's on the roof. She wouldn't be on the roof mess with my dad would be or whatever. But she would just listen to WGN and would sit and listen to baseball games, and would sit and listen to football games on the radio.
Speaker 3: It's a great rivalry. I mean, I think it's so.
Speaker 1: I'm not aware of who she viewed the rivals to be, but I know that one of the highlights of her life. She's still alive. One of the highlights of her life was whatever the hell it was nineteen eighty four or something and the Bears, you know, trounced the Patriots.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, I think was it the eighty five Bears when they yeah, eighty.
Speaker 1: Five Bears, Jim McMahon, Fridge, Perry, Mike Single, Super Bowl Shuffle, Yeah, the album they had. My mom had that album. Nice, but that was my that was my exposure as a kid, Like, that's what I knew about football. Was I knew about my mom listening watching, you know, following the Chicago teams because she just felt, I don't know, that part of her never went away even though they lived in Michigan.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, growing up in LA you just don't have rivalries like that, and moving out there and just it's it's a big deal of where you're from, who you root for, and you know how much it means to them, not just the team, but the whole state, the city that you get that win, whether it's the Bears, like you had mentioned, White Sox, Cubs or Brewers, Packers, Bucks. I mean, it's it's big out there.
Speaker 1: You know. Here it's a little bit funny because you guys be able to tell me better me, but there's no team, Okay, no professional team, and then you go up one state South Wyoming, there's no professional team. I feel like it's just a grab bag. There's no like, there's no sort of there's no I was living in Seattle when when when the Seahawks, I don't know what. Hell six years ago, six years ago the Seahawks won. I remember I went to run Errand during that Super Bowl game. I'm not I'm not kidding when I say this. I was going through downtown Seattle running an errand I was up on I went through Capitol Hill. There were no I'm not kidding you, there were no cars on the road. You're like, what's going on today? And it was, But there's nothing like that here. Well know, some guys like, oh I like this team that team. Yeah, obviously right.
Speaker 4: So that's one of the only stations that we had in Montana before cable and all that stuff, when you had WGN WGN so broadcast. I watched a lot of Cubs games, so they would broadcast the Cubs and the Braves, and so consequently there were a lot of Cubs and Braves fans in Montana because of w g N. And then you would get yeah, you're right, for like pro football. It would be kind of like a grab bag of so they were like consequently like some Falcons fans once that happened, because people were already Braves fans. But lots of stories are like, oh, my kids liked the Bengals. I grew up with some kids in Missoula who are just like diehard Bengals fans because why who knows. One of the brothers was like into them as a kid, and so the whole family just became Bengals fans. There are a lot There are a lot of Packers fans. Oh yeah, and that bar that I bar attended in uh Red's in Missoula, there was always a big contingent of Packers fans that would come down and watch those games.
Speaker 1: The guys I hunt with in Wisconsin, uh this guy told you about pack Dirk, And he's got a big Packers sticker on his truck. You know, he's got stickers on his truck of different famous bucks that have been killed, like the silhouette of the famous bucks that have been killed. His topper is like made out of plywood on his truck. Really and then he's got Packers stickers, big Packers fan. But those guys used to joke that when the Packers were playing, you could hunt anywhere you want. There was your one chance to go hunt the neighbors place and just know you were no way to know how to get caught.
Speaker 2: Clay. Do you do you think some of that culture that you were there like stuck with you because there's I can go and see this say hey, I'm Chester from Wisconsin. If it's another person from Wisconsin, it's like immediate, like you know, connection. Do you think any of that that culture stuck with you? And do you do you have you have a place back in Wisconsin stilf.
Speaker 3: Oh, No, I saw that so fast? You kidding me?
Speaker 2: I got that.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, there's only one right answer here.
Speaker 9: No.
Speaker 3: I will say though, that when I meet people from you know, when I meet people from Wisconsin or happened to hear them, it's a great kind of segue into that if you know they're not a Packers fan or whatnot, where they lived in the state, there is that little bit of connection. Even from my ten years there. You know, it's like you're an honorary Wisconsin I just because you spend time up there. It just seems at least I don't know how. I mean, obviously, you know, growing up in La there weren't people from Wisconsin out there.
Speaker 1: But can you tell chesters from Wisconsin?
Speaker 3: Say, you bet you?
Speaker 2: And yeah, although oh you bet you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: They got all the women out there, the older women in Wisconsin, the thickest accidents in a very particular haircut too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Where is she from? Like, not from you know, the US. I think she's from somewhere.
Speaker 3: Country, from Wisconsin.
Speaker 1: But what's it like to become you know, we keep goofing about Wisconsin and all that. I mean, do you ever does it ever? Do you get tired of the whole thing? Like it's like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. I played for the Packers.
Speaker 3: But do I need to be like Wisconsin's you know, no spokesman. I think I think it's more so. No, I don't get I don't get tired of it. In fact, the more I'm removed from Wisconsin and the Packers, just like anything, the more you come to appreciate. And my wife and yeah, my wife and I were reminiscing, you know, because when most guys get drafted or move to Wisconsin, oh gosh, there's nothing to do out there. And then you know what I'm talking about. I'm talking about twenty two year old football players. You know, twenty one year old they want to Hey, these athletes want to hunt something else, all right, Well, but we were reminiscing over it just you know, because we have a young family. You know, the parks and where we lived in the neighborhoods, and how well we were treated out there, and I think, yeah, our time up there was fantastic. I really enjoyed it, and there's certain aspects that I miss. I was able to get back this past year to do some walleye and king salmon fishing up on Lake Michigan, and it was back at Lambeau for two of my teammates were putting the Packers Hall of Fame. And now my kids are such big Packers fans too. So the human element of when they tell you they don't want you anymore where you're like these sons of you know, you come full circle and you grow up a little bit and you're like, yeah, all right, okay, all right, go pack it.
Speaker 1: So you spent you spent ten years there, ten years and then finished your career a year in LA for the Rams.
Speaker 3: Yes, what was that like? La was fun. It was a lot of fun for me personally.
Speaker 1: We've been back home.
Speaker 3: No, it was great. It almost made the season go by even faster because I was training and I was just so lucky that the RAMS facilities were all of twenty minutes from where I grew up out there, so my parents, my family were able to come to every game. Practice. The weather it's a lot warmer than it is in Wisconsin. Physical therapy, massage therapists, the gym in which I trained at was all right there, so everything was already how I spent my off seasons. Now I was just there year round, so it was it was real fun. In fact, I thought I was going to do that for much longer. But you know, they had other plans.
Speaker 1: When we were duck out this morning, I was asking you about what you were talking about. Get your jaw broke and they wired your jaws shut. Yeah, And it was an interesting detail I never thought of. You were telling me that they give you a wirecutter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in case you got a puke or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they needed to be ready to get your mouth back open.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But I was asking you, what's the relationship between when you injure someone bad someone injures you. Is there any sense of obligation to like acknowledge that, and you're saying this is not part of the culture.
Speaker 3: It's not part of the culture. Now, I think if it was accident, well, they're always accidental, I mean very rarely are there, you know, malicious heads or something. Yeah, intentional, But I think if you were to tear somebody's knee up or a season ender, you might reach out and you know, offer your condolences to them. But I just feel like it's not in the culture. I mean, I got absolutely blind side up in Philly. Guy peeled back on me, lit me up, landed on my labor, and I tore it up. I still deal with problem. I haven't heard from it, and I don't expect him to. It's part of the game. But you know, on the flip side of that, I can't how many guys I broke. There was a quarterback who I broke his arm just with my helmet. I went to hit him. Actually, I think he was playing for the Bears. You can't remember the guy's name, Hoyer, Brian Brian Hoyer.
Speaker 1: You don't send him.
Speaker 2: Flowers, no, But it's just you probably should it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Foot hunt. Well, I would, it's an excellent part of I'd be. I'd be doing everything I could for Philly.
Speaker 3: It's a little different, but I'll go with that and just say it's kind of that next man up, Like you're on a you feel bad. There's the human element of that. You're like, oh, man, like you put yourself in that position. It's the you know why me? But I mean you can't. You're onto the next play. You know, you're onto the next game. You can't focus on that. It's a very cold business.
Speaker 4: Maybe just have some just sign one of those posters of you doing that, and.
Speaker 1: Remember was it was it? Who was it?
Speaker 6: Not?
Speaker 1: Name it? Who got the compound fracture on National TV? Yeah, now there's the dude. So I don't remember who did easy to find out. There's some dude out there that is saying, man I gave that dude Lawrence Taylor.
Speaker 3: No, I think he's.
Speaker 1: Not like man I gave that guy a compound fractures.
Speaker 3: He can pick any he's the best, arguably the best defensive player to I've ever played the game. So he's got a long he's got better accolades than you know. I broke this guy's But that messes you up though, when you see a compound fracture or something point the other. It's one thing when a guy blows out his knee just but you don't really see it. You see the guy down. But when a you know, a guy lifts his leg up and it's pointing this. Oh, you know, it's like the it's a the Damar Hamlin. Are you familiar what happened to the Damar Hamlin on the Bills? I think this was his last year or two years ago. Yeah, And so I mean.
Speaker 1: That remind people because I'm I remember this. But from when you were going to say that, I thought you were going to say the guy that the hockey player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, Damar went to make a routine tackle and you guys have to film me on what it was called. But I guess he took such a shock to the chest that it gave heart attack. Yeah, he gave him heart attack and he just he fell down on the field. They had to do chess. You know, it's not CPR, but the chest compressions and everything on the field, and you're just watching it at home, like just we just watch somebody die on the field, and I guess he did die for you know, all intents and purposes, and so they called the rest of that game off there that we're done. It just it messes with you. And I'm going off on a tangent able to let you know that that you know, it is bigger than sports. But yeah, with certain injuries, it's almost like you're you know, you're onto the next one. But with others, you're just like, that's that's, that's it. You know that.
Speaker 1: American hockey player that recently was killed and he's on a European league. Yeah, Adam Johnson caught a skate, caught a skate cut his juggler.
Speaker 5: Which is insane.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well my daughter plays high I can remember. Yeah, my daughter plays hockey. A couple of days after that, dude, I'm not kidding you. Every girl net guards, well it's actually she's on co eds. Boys and girls all net guards. And on top of my daughter's all scared of someone cutting her throat with a skate. I'm like, Rosie, Yeah, I appreciate man, how many people are playing hockey for how long and they can point to one guy like you're not going to also go out there and get and also trying to explain it. These people are two hundred and fifty pounds.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think there's only been like you. There's only been like two or three deaths ever in high with a skate getting.
Speaker 1: So there's more than one. Yeah, I was telling that was the only one.
Speaker 10: No, I know, there's a goalie and there was like one other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's nervous.
Speaker 4: I mean, how much are we going to whine about that there's two or three fatalities?
Speaker 5: Max, Come on.
Speaker 3: But we enjoyed watching at home with our beaters and yeah, oh that.
Speaker 1: Was harrowing though. Just this is just one of those freak I heard about it. A guy like my neighbor's friend. He pairing. This guy broke a ski pole and ran that broken into the ski pole right up into the joint of his leg and growing already. And the guy was dead in seconds on the snow, thirty some years old. Man makes you makes the inside of your leg hurt.
Speaker 4: Clay and I had a great conversation when I was dropping them.
Speaker 5: Off at at the hotel. We got to get into a land management. But more and more so.
Speaker 1: Than that, I do want to get into his land management.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, uh, you know, because you're a fly around the field kind of meat stick head thumper.
Speaker 5: Your word's not mine.
Speaker 4: I'm pretty sure you said that today.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say it came very naturally to.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: But we were talking about soil ecology, soil health and just some of what you're getting into, and like exploring the American chestnut.
Speaker 5: How's that for a turn of conversation, right?
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean we we we kind of put the we. When I was done playing, we were building a house in California, moved out there where your typical you know, COVID family. We reassessed and we moved outside of Nashville now, and we were lucky because we pretty much purchased two hundred acres and it's got farm land's got a year round running water, four acre spring fed pond, hardwoods backs up to the Natchez Trace.
Speaker 2: I know we were talking about that earlier.
Speaker 1: But you'll find ladies and gentlemen, you'll find mention of the Natchez Trace in Long Hunters Available in American History A bailable now, seventeen sixty one, seventeen seventy five.
Speaker 2: And I already pitched him on that too.
Speaker 1: It's good good.
Speaker 3: Well, I just I you know, I find myself as soon as the kids are dropped off at school, I just go down there and I I mean, there's there's I can get into anything, you know, see what's going on. Yeah, whether it's just splitting wood or clear and brush. Recently had the pond dredge, just because I know we had talked about this. The oxygen levels were low. Yeah, too much muck. So now that's filling back up.
Speaker 1: When it drained it out. Was anything surprising in there?
Speaker 3: No, there wasn't. I was fully expecting to find like some Civil War era relics, giant fish. Oh no, you know, it was kind of It wasn't very satisfying because I just assume there would be a pool of fish at the end that you could you know, fish and get them out. But they, unfortunately, they slowly died because this was middle of summer. The water was too hot and so they just piled up on the shore.
Speaker 1: And but no, like, oh my god, that was in here.
Speaker 3: No, but we had caught some big, some big bass out of there, but nothing. There was a propane tank in there. One of the many reasons why I, you know, wanted it dredge to know what was going on. But I started looking at trees to plant out there, you know, fruit trees and whatnot. And I think it was an Instagram ad was you know, plant chestnut trees. It's it's the it's the you know, it's what deer prefer over, you know, every other. So I went down the rabbit hole in that, and then I started researching the history of the American chestnut and how it was the tree of the Appalachias. And I think they're they're functionally and stinked now because blight came over wiped them all out. It was a main source of wood for everyone in that area. The chestnuts were great for wildlife. You sell them at Mark and very recently they've been able to reintroduce them because they've been breathing them with the Chinese chest Now I forgot.
Speaker 1: We had a dude. We had a guy on about GMOs and at the end he he works with him and understands GMOs and the risks and perceived risks and everything. And I remember at the end of the conversation, I said to him, so, let's say you fell off a tall building and you were falling and you had to tell the world to pursue GMOs or not. Would you say yes or no? He said, as I was falling, I ou'd go maybe. But he told the story of He says, if you're going to hack on GMOs, hear me out on the American chestnut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, he told, yeah, they're coming back. In fact, a lot of people who I kind of running the same circle with, have started, you know, doing their own research on it, only for wildlife and food plots, but just for the history of it.
Speaker 1: They changed like a gene and now it's resistant to the blood.
Speaker 3: So I planted one hundred and twenty one hundred and nineteen's expensive. Uh no, but the ones I found weren't I found them like I dug deep.
Speaker 1: I had to drive down to not like one hundred bucks pea.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: They weren't that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I had one. I think they were about three years old. They were about anywhere from six to eight feet. But I had one chestnut burr on all the trees last year. I was so pumped to see it, like open up and possibly they I have these, you know, these chestnuts. It was I went back, it was gone, Like I think some of the wildlife had already gotten to it, but I didn't get a chance. So hopefully this next year, now that they've had a chance to, you know, kind of set their roots and whatnot, start getting some production.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did you play them in the rolls or try to plant them like a natural stand?
Speaker 2: I'm so ocd.
Speaker 3: I was out. I was out there. I bought all these steaks. I bought this Mason string that had the stretch. I drive to the front of my property on my range, I look up and so when you pull in, you know, you'll see it in. They're offset every thirty feet from one another, and they're offset every fifteen so no matter where you go, it's like an optical illusion. They all line up perfect.
Speaker 5: I feel real good.
Speaker 3: And then I put all these which took like another six weeks. I put all these tree tubes on them as well. My fingers are so they're they're they're These white tree tubes are about five feet Yeah, to push to push the growth up with the zip ties, the zip ties, and having to do that. I was so thankful. I was done. And now, of course it's been a year and I'm like, all right, I want to plan another one hundred this year, or maybe I'm gonna move on to pears or a different type of fruit.
Speaker 1: So you've been digging that kind of stuff.
Speaker 5: Well do you know about biochar? No hit them with that?
Speaker 3: Well I just I just started learning about that as well, because I guess they've been doing you you got to fill me in this thing. Well, they've been doing this in the Amazon for ages. This uh preda, I'm butchering it. However you pronounce it's called black earth down there. But anyways, biochar is when you burn organic matter through pyrolysis and the absence of oxygen, so you have with charcoal and by itself you put in the soil. It'll actually you know, take the nutrients out, but you inoculate it with you know, whatever it may be. Whether a lot of people will put it in their their compost pile, their manure pile. But this that I bought was inoculated with humate and so now I just need to put it down and it just helps. It helps the soil biology, the micro organisms and the soil. So that type of stuff, which you know, coming from pro sports football to wanting to know about juiceing the soils nothing, you know, like that MPa, you know all that in.
Speaker 5: The soil now you were hanging out with the landscaping crew.
Speaker 3: Right, No, No, I wasn't doing any of that, so that that's you know. I was chopping wood one time. My mom called, like what you grew up in the city, Like what like like what happened? And I'm like, just prep and I just I'd watched Where the World Ends on Netflix. I'm over there, Kevin Bacon, you know, chopping my wood and whatnot. So I don't know where it came from, but I'm having a plast doing learning.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you gotta connect with our buddy Doug.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The the humus is a big is big buzzword and the land management world right now because they're if by just kind of reconstructing that soil biome, you can all of a sudden grow things in soil that that people didn't think were possible before. So humous is just like super decomposed. It's like the ultra end result of a really good compost pile.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, I'd love to.
Speaker 1: Uh explain your playing with you the landybot.
Speaker 3: We're gonna live out there, but we like the idea of just just being more independent, more self reliant and less you know, dependent on on the supply chain. So my wife, she's not a prepper, but she she loves the idea of having this homestead, you know, growing our own fruit and vegetables, having our own cattle and livestock and chickens and whatnot, year round running water, as I discussed, just you know, having that that fallback fail safe if you know, if it hits the fan, you know. And then on top of that, the opportunities to afford the children. I've got three young children that I mean, they have so much fun when they're there. Yeah, I mean it's just yeah, it's just getting them off their iPads and just getting them outdoors. They absolutely love it. It could just be you know, I bring my kids there and they're on their iPads. No, no, we don't want to go, and then they don't want to leave because they're just messing around building a dam in the creek, or they're collecting you know, the acorns or black wallnuts, whatever it is. They just have so much fun. So I think it's the opportunities and yeah, really the opportunities that provides us as a family.
Speaker 4: You really no it's just interesting that you're in Tennessee because I mean it's literal forty acres in a mule country where it's like every forty acres has a spring. You know, it's it's you can't what you can do with forty acres in Tennessee versus what you can do with forty acres in the vast majority of Montana is so insanely different. Yeah, like your ability to actually.
Speaker 1: You put like you put on there, it's going to destroy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and don't you probably don't want to drink the water because it's so alkali, you know, it's like but over there it's, yeah, it's wild. So where you where are you at in the in the con Have you started growing food yet?
Speaker 3: We we have not started. Most of the gardening I do is in our own backyard. We've got some raised garden beds, and I've I've done everything from beats, carrots, tomatoes, pumpkins, watermelons, herbs. I mean, I've done peppers. I've done quite a bit of peppers. In fact, I even grew those Carolina reaper peppers. That was a nightmare. They they they they grew, I mean, they they were fantastic, but I put like a sliver and one of my eggs, and then my stomach was hurting for the next couple hours. It is that I forget what it's that.
Speaker 1: So it was as hot as you thought it was.
Speaker 2: It's as hot as advertising.
Speaker 3: I'm like, I'm gonna grow up the Carolina Reaper. I got them to grow and everything. But as far as the lands concerned, we just did some no till drilling for some clover back there for a food plot for deer. But we're getting ready to pour the foundation for our barn out there. That'll be kind of like the central hangout, planning on having a prep kitchen, like you know what we we were at today and you know, having to hang out while we build the house, just to get down there a little bit more because right now there's nothing there. There's no electricity. The kids, you know, after those two or three hours, are ready to go home. There's no you know, home base so to speak.
Speaker 4: Walk in refrigerator, we can, we can really give you the ideas for what you need out there.
Speaker 3: We already have a little four by six walking refrigerator. Yeah, we've already got it mapped up. We got a good team working on it. But now we gotta we gotta have an even better team bring the cost down because good grief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, uh, what were your impressions of hunting ducks this morning? You never hunted ducks?
Speaker 3: No, it was a blast turkeys. Turkeys is a lot of fun. But as far as ducks, that that was. That was a lot of fun. People had told me for the longest time that elk hunting and duck hunting are two of the best hunts, and I'm.
Speaker 1: Gonna tell you that the turkeys are one of the best.
Speaker 3: Turkey is a lot of fun. I think anything that and that this doesn't go in line with duck, but anything you can kind of hear and you can call in and I can't really call, but you hear them getting closer and you know something's out there.
Speaker 2: It's it.
Speaker 3: It kind of gets you going. But the ducks was great because you know, you said, these decoys, you know, you guys calling them in and you have an opportunity, at least where we were at today. Every so often, different varieties and and then obviously kind of you know, test yourself with the shots that you got to place on them.
Speaker 5: So different shot scenarios. It was always the same thing.
Speaker 1: But I had a blast too, and you're gonna get a couple of ducks stuff. Yeah, I don't think I was ever with someone. Maybe I'm wrong who who kept the duck to get it stuffed? They've all got them, but I just don't think I've ever been with some and the got one that they were going to get stuff.
Speaker 3: Well, my wife was like, she wants a bird, Yeah, she wants she wants some birds. I told her I'd bring home some, obviously some meat, but you know, she's like, when are you gonna start getting some because ads on the wall. You know, it's just and she's like, bringing home some. The birds look good on the wall, you know.
Speaker 10: So you can do a couple of cool arrangements like hanging up by fishing line and flying, which would be pretty cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll have to. I spend enough time on Google images. It's just like bird and mounts and I have.
Speaker 4: A little fan mounted up there you can flip on. Get everybody to wind up.
Speaker 3: She might draw the line there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what I wanted to ask you about too, you were you were talking about the debate in your head. We discussed this a little bit this morning of what's when do you get kids involved and you kind of got in your head are you talking about you had in your head like ten when I was sharing with you in this state, ten is the legal age. Yeah, yeah, talk talk about that or explain kind of how you've debated that in your own head about.
Speaker 3: Well there's there's this fun in line. You know, these kids are so desensitized nowadays, but you want to teach them the respect. You know, they see a dead animal. You want to show them why you're doing this, Why are we you know, how this is why we kill animals because you know, we're trying to support us and you know, keep everything in balance. And I've told them as well too, because they were like, hey, can we go hunt this? Can we do that? And so I just make up an ambiguous age. It's against the law. You have to be ten years old. So that kind of that gives me some time to get my ducks in a row to plan. Yeah, well, they asked for we talked about they asked for a go kart. They can I get this for You're not old enough and I was like, besides, you have to be ten years old before they so they let off it for a little bit. But I've included them as much as possible, but I just I feel like, for me personally, with where my kids are at, I'm not really ready to hand them a firearm.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 3: You had mentioned which I thought was great, you know, having your child on your lap when they do their first turkey and.
Speaker 1: They shot there. So my daughter got her first turkey at eight. My boy got his first turkey at eight, which in their home state they can't hunt at that age. But we would go to a state that didn't have the age requirements and they both shot their first turkeys. But I mean literally in my lap.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now how they deal with the you know, waiting in the blind and all that, because I feel like I will sleep. Oh that would be my nightmare if there's life, fall asleep.
Speaker 1: Okay, man, he dragged kid out of bed like four thirty in the morning. They're like, he's going to sleep. Yeah, more matter. But our buddy on he's not here right now. But he had these funny pictures of he hunted pretty hard with his daughter this year. He's got these pictures of her sleeping in the most just like awkward positions, awkward spots, you know those uh, slumped over against a tree sleep and.
Speaker 4: What are the the like two dudes that like blow up, you know, lots and stuff. Yeah, this series of photos that it was his daughter as that you know, and like you cut the fan off and it's just like that's what I look.
Speaker 1: But when I would take him out young sitting in my lap because they get comfortable, you know, yeah, they're like, oh yeah, you'd realize all of a sudden, you think they're just being real good, and all of a sudden you kind of hear like and when they breathe like that, oh yeah, I just I just let them go, you know, wake them up. But man, I don't know. There's different there's different approaches people have. I hear people all the time. I hear this so much that it must be true that people are like reluctant to burn their kids out. They don't want to give them a bad experience. They're going to burn their kid out, you know, I don't want to blow it right, that must happen, But it's not been my experience. And of the kids that I'm I have a lot of buddies that have kids in our kids' ages, you know, in the age of year my kids brackets and and who are push it, you know, and I haven't seen that happen yet. I'm assuming it must happen, but it might be from a past generation too, because like I'm just so much nicer. I'm so much I'm kind of mean to my oldest boy, but I'm so much nicer to my kids than like my dad was to me about hunting, just more considerate about their welcome.
Speaker 3: I'm not opposed to, you know, any age restrictions and kind of getting those kids out there and perhaps with these people who have you know, putting on a it's kind of a one and done deal, like we need to kill something and if we don't, they're not gonna have a good time, and maybe they don't go out for another year. But the fact that your kids are you know, around or mine in this case, like we're always going to our land and we're always out there putting out corn or whatever it may be, to kind of keep them within the process, perhaps that keeps them more engaged than hey, we are taking this trip, you know, this three day trip. We're gonna you know, try and kill or hunt white tail turkey, whatever it is. And if you don't get a sitting up gotta have an hour.
Speaker 1: It ain't gonna happen, ye know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how old are your kids again, Clay?
Speaker 3: They are eight, seven and four?
Speaker 1: What is the boys? Girls? Girl?
Speaker 6: Boy? Yeah?
Speaker 3: We got yeah, Clay the fourth. I figured I'd be like every other athlete and name them after me. So my oldest is the is the fourth.
Speaker 1: Now are you way leaning on your kids that they have to play pro football?
Speaker 2: Not at all, not at all.
Speaker 3: They can if they want. My dad didn't do that with us at all. But I just found that at least this is a broad stroke statement that you know, most boys want to grow up and be like their fathers, and I know that for me, they have taken at least my youngest. My youngest is a monster. He just you know, we have to tackle every night before going to bed. But he loves watching the YouTube clipse of me back.
Speaker 6: In the day.
Speaker 3: Hey type, that's funny. Type in your Clay Matthews highlights and I'm like, I'm not I'll watching it. That was all right. But you know, if they want to grow up and do it, I have no problem whatsoever. I'll probably be I started playing tackle football at eight years old. I don't think there's a reason that kids need to start that early. Not that I have anything against it, but you know, perhaps we start with flag work your way up until you're at maybe ten years old. Yeah, you know, when they can start with with you know, tackle, the age at which you do serious stuff. Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, we had Bo Jackson on the show years ago. I was surprised when you told me. He said, I wouldn't let my kid play football.
Speaker 3: Listen, I understand both sides.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, yeah, it wasn't the lifestyle. It was the injuries.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I understand that. But I mean, first of all, I wouldn't be the position I'm at today if it weren't for football. Just that's just, you know, God's honest truth. You know, the financial freedom that it provides you is unbelievable. The opportunity to meet people, to help others, to you know, push your platform.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do a lot of charitable work, I know.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But I just think there's also this other side of it, the teamwork aspect, which I think is so important for young kids, especially coming from a sports background, as being a part of a team and not just always individual sports. You learn how to manage your expectations, win together, lose together. I mean, there's so many emotions that you go through, and and similar to what we were talking about earlier, bringing people from all walks of life together for a common goal, I think it starts early, and I think it helps them become better humans as they you know, as they grow up. So for me, I think there's it's it's not just the oh yeah, you can make tons of money and do this. I think there's so much to it than the fame and money that come from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah you said you don't really you don't miss the fame terrible, No, not really said to haunt some people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, you know, roar of the crowd, right exactly. Yeah. For me, I I've you know, I had. I kind of came onto the scene real fast. In our second year, we won the Super Bowl and I was playing very well, and so you know, you have and you know, when you put your your self image and your worth in the hands of the media, it's dangerous, you know, and and they'll they'll they'll tear you or I mean they'll lift you up just to tear you down. So for me, it's it's almost been a relief, you know, kind of taking a step back and focusing on everything else, whether that's you know, being a dad, a husband, being able to go hunting and not worrying about, you know, the criticism or the praise that comes along with it. So for me, I truly have not missed it. You know, it's nice when you can get to the front of the line certain restaurants and whatnot, But and those paychecks that.
Speaker 1: Used to come in.
Speaker 3: But for the most part, for me, I'm.
Speaker 2: Good with it.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I mean there are people who.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh, that's nothing compared to some perfectly lined up chestnuts.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm telling you what. We spent weeks on that, and I feel good about it. That'll be there for a while. That legacy right there, will be there for a while.
Speaker 5: So you had you had some hunts prior, like during your NFL days.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I would try and schedule at least one hunt after the season, which would you know, obviously end in January February, and I usually I have family in Texas. So it started with the exotic hunts, the high fence hunts in Texas, and those those were a blast, and but I kind of grew out of that and I started to enjoy just the fair chase hunts, and so I've done pronghorn, white tail. I'm just trying to think what's up on the wall mountain lion, and.
Speaker 5: Where'd you hunta antelope?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Colorado? Now I'm blanking on where it was. I went elk hunting in Levita, Colorado, did black bear in Utah this year? So yeah, then you know what I didn't. I guess they had gotten a lot of snow this year. So when we went up there, they just they weren't you were spring hunting spring hunt? Yeah, with hounds too, So there wasn't There just wasn't a lot of low year. It was.
Speaker 1: It was Is it right there?
Speaker 4: Are you cautioned because everybody's a brand kind of in the NFL? Are you cautioned to like what in your personal life you can you can share when you're when you're playing?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Yeah, I think there's for me personally. I mean, I know who you know who cuts my checks when I'm you know, doing these endorsements and commercials on TV, not just outside of the football teams in which I played for, but they're usually in New York or LA and and predominantly are are you know, either anti hunting or you know, yeah, anti hunting. So for me, it's like I just I choose not to post that or really you know, dive into it and talk about it unless somebody within the community the hunting outdoor conservation space wants to. But for the most part, it just it benefits me just to kind of keep it to myself. And not that I'm you know, I wouldn't say a sellout, but the opposite of that. But I just I also think there's for me and one of the things I really enjoy about you know, meat Eater and watching the show and the content you put out is he doesn't feel like it's just some overweight white male shoots animal, takes you know, pictures, smiling over them.
Speaker 1: And I'm super skinny.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's why. But and I think there's you know, you watch animals that you know you would look at and historically, you know, you might look down on it. You're okay, why are we why are you hunting this animal? You know, how does this benefit you know, the other animals, the ungulates, whatever it might be. And then you do a great job cooking it. But at the end and you also tell a great story with what the people involved in it as well, which I think is phenomenal and I think it's helped bring it's helped eliminate the stigma of hunting animals, which is just you're this, you know, you're the you're blood hungry and you just want this trophy for the wall. There's so much more to it that you really can't explain to somebody, which I think you're doing a phenomenal job who has never hunted before. So uh, and I forgot where I went off on this table.
Speaker 1: We recently had a Brian Harmon, who won the British Open, was.
Speaker 5: On and who is the hunter in golf?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he said when he in England, they were taking a real in the interviewing. You know, they were asking a lot of hunting questions. He thought they were interested in hunting, but it was you know, then he was dubbed the Brian the butcher.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it's a shame.
Speaker 1: And he's like, oh, these guys are really interesting hunting. Let me tell you another thing all along, not knowing that they're going to try to roast him over it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, and I think you just have to you just have to commit. But I mean that's you know, that's it was paying me, and so I wanted to just kind of fit in line. But I was still able to. It's not like they said, hey, you can't hunt or you can't do this, So I still got to do everything I wanted to. I just chose not to. And I've I've always been like that. I've kind of kept in uh, you know, an arm the public at arms reach just because of the you know how much access they give to athletes nowadays, and now you know too, whether it be your children or whatnot. I'm like, I'm good with that. Like everything you see on TV, all the commercials and stuff that's you know, that's that's fodder. But everything that's at home, I try and keep that as as private as possible.
Speaker 1: I understand. Yeah, right, Well, thanks for coming on the show man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate. I had a blast. Thanks so much for the out hanging with the boys and everything this was. I'm glad I didn't have to hide this, you know, maybe now that I'm on my next you know, navigating this post yeah posts. Yeah, I mean, they're not cutting my checks for as much anymore, so I'll probably be asking for a job here immediately.
Speaker 2: Clay, get stuff done. I'll tell you that because I have to buy tags for people all the time and whatnot. And I was working with some other guys and Clay just called me up. He's like, what do I need? And the next thing you know, he sends an email over like three minutes later, got all of his tags, just gets it done.
Speaker 3: That's just what I told you, right, Let the DNR come around.
Speaker 2: But no, but like, that's that's huge. I was like, this guy is not.
Speaker 1: Just no how to navigated website.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, they're difficult. Once you get that social in there, you're good to go.
Speaker 1: But good shooting today too, by the way, I know, I appreciate it. One more thing to end on.
Speaker 9: You're talking about which fish you should stock your pond with a pole here?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh no, no, this is great. Don't worry about I've gone back and forth, so you know now that i've I've so when I drained the when I drained the pond, I had I had northern bass.
Speaker 1: Northern.
Speaker 3: No, are there two different types of bass? There's four large.
Speaker 5: Large large, Well, there's yeah, there's a bunch of different.
Speaker 3: As far as large. As far as large mouth is concerned, there's the Florida and then there's a northern. Oh, I'm sorry, I should have clarified that. You know, I don't don't get to you're talking.
Speaker 1: I love all the inter intricacies of fish and all the differences, but I've never had any exposure to anything with the large mouth. But yeah, there's like the Virginia and.
Speaker 5: A bunch of like subspecies, so there.
Speaker 3: Were there was there was crappy in it as well, and some type of bluegill, so you know, I brought in I brought in somebody who does you know, trophy ponds, so he's okay, you gotta stock him with Florida large mouth. So initially I was like putting the large mouth in there. I haven't made a decision that brought this up.
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 2: I don't put the.
Speaker 3: Finish, so I'd go back to these nor I guess these northerns are are more aggressive, but they don't get as big, but they were My kids were enjoying catching them. And then there's a Florida large mouth, which obviously you know can be massive. Then there's these he wants these painted blue gill, which are a floor or the subspecies. They get really big too, which is fine, but he said don't put crappy in. I guess they breed earlier than the other fish, eat up all the FIGHTO planked in. It was one of those I kind of went over my head. I was like, okay, but I started and then I want catfish. I want catfish because my kids. You know, everybody loves catching catfish. Because don't do it. Don't do it. They'll ruin the whole. You know, the chain of command, so to speak, within there. And but I so ultimate where I'm at is I'm blue gills. Fine, I think I'm gonna go with channel cats, but I'm curious on bass. So I'm just curious what everyone is gonna eat everything else.
Speaker 5: But your kids are gonna have a lot of fun catch.
Speaker 3: I got four different opinions, but the bass and blue gill were in there before.
Speaker 1: Put blue gills back in. That's it, Listen, just put the blue gills in there. This world is not going to run out of bass. You can run out of blue gills, run out of well. Just put blue gills in there.
Speaker 3: Kids are gonna run out of pao.
Speaker 1: Your kids go down there. When your kids go down onto the little teeny popper.
Speaker 5: So that's what's cool. Is that they'll eat on the sole.
Speaker 3: They fish there before and they've enjoyed it, but sometimes they get bored with I mean they catch because you're getting.
Speaker 1: Here's a problem. You're gonna get bass in there. Then it's gonna be like, oh, there's that one bass and there's that other bad.
Speaker 7: Deer.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be like the next thing. You know, you got a coy pond. Don't put no bass in there. Let's put a ship. Little blue gills.
Speaker 5: Someone who grew up on a farm had a farm pond full of bass and blue gills.
Speaker 1: Opposition to comment on this.
Speaker 5: Put the freaking bass in there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going with you. I'm going with the bass.
Speaker 5: Fast, blue gill and catfish.
Speaker 6: There you go.
Speaker 9: I was.
Speaker 3: It's about twelve feet at its deepest. Put some gills in there would survives.
Speaker 1: Man, Big old freaking blue gills. You know what you want something big? Put those sterilized blue gills in there. I know they can't make love. They just it big.
Speaker 3: Okay, Wow, give a show.
Speaker 1: And put some regular gills in there.
Speaker 3: I don't know enough about fish yet, so.
Speaker 1: Well you'll find out when you start raising all these different blue gills.
Speaker 4: This Florida hybrid thing sounds really interesting though, Like if it's one of those big they could you know, they call him like the shell crackers or whatever.
Speaker 5: That'd be cool.
Speaker 1: In the fresh water. There's a couple of fish that people will say this about. In fresh water, they'll say, pound for pound, nothing can out fight a small mouth. Pound for pound, nothing can out fight a blue gill. A five pound blue gill is gonna out tussle. There's no such thing, but a five pound blue gill is gonna out tussle this five pounds small mouth pass.
Speaker 3: But do your kids ever get bored of just catching blue gill? Like if you had your if you.
Speaker 1: Have I live in the Inner Mountain West, Dude, there's no blue You gotta look high and low for a bluegill, not that they have found them.
Speaker 5: If Jimmy was fishing a pond that had a bunch of big bucket mouse in it.
Speaker 1: He'd ask me if he could spear them.
Speaker 5: He would, He wouldn't have He would have a blast catching them. I know he will.
Speaker 1: Him and his body's catch catch large mouths, dinkers, dnkers, not bucket mouths.
Speaker 10: This is such a Minnesota goodbye.
Speaker 1: Get quick, show of hands. Bluegills, yeah, yeah, okay, so there's five people think the blue let's go to catfish because the best fish. Yeah, to think catfish. Crappies, yeah, sure, why not crappies? Yeah, the foul mouth bass, large mouths, large mouths.
Speaker 5: Yeah one, I'll vote twice.
Speaker 4: Ask this guy if it would be possible to put a bowfin in there?
Speaker 6: Both?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, snakeheads.
Speaker 1: I know you don't want to do that. You only want to You can get your self arrested you put snakeheads in there.
Speaker 4: Well, if I mean bofen would be the the right one. But if you know, part of this pond gets so hot and denuded of oxygen that fish can live in there, and it'll eat frogs and turtles and stuff like that, and they taste awesome.
Speaker 3: Don't put Okay, Well, I'm glad we brought this out because there's I was actually more uncertainty to this decision.
Speaker 1: Than but now straightened out here. Bluegills just fine.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll start with that and work our way up.
Speaker 5: Your researcher, you'll get you.
Speaker 3: I'll figure it out.
Speaker 1: Any any other questions you solve, did you and your wife want to know how you guys should decorate or anything we can. We'll handle that right.
Speaker 3: Her wive's got that figured out. But I did, I did ask you doctor take a vote on that. Cal Cal told me that, did you remember capital tea? You gotta you gotta if the fat, you got to score the skin.
Speaker 2: Just don't ask these two because he'll give you kind of a little bit different answer than Cal, Like.
Speaker 4: This was a crowd situation on your own, Yes, shot them straight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like, hey, clik, I get a word with room temperature pan. This is what's gonna happen when when it comes to listen, You're gonna hear a lot of when it comes to cook on the duck.
Speaker 3: Just hear me out here. Yeah, room room temperature pantsk inside down, Let that that fat or whatnot? Render? Yeah, flip it over medium rare, pull it off.
Speaker 1: Yeah, beauty, Sam Potty, Thanks buddy, thanks for coming on.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you handing out.
Speaker 1: That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 3: Thank you as for joining.
Speaker 9: Ward Duncky s wearing wearing Duncky Sad, wearing dunkeys, wearing wear the Dunkey Sad, wearing donkeys, wearing wearing donkeys wear the dunkeysa wearing wear the donkey.
Speaker 2: Sad wearing dunkies.
Speaker 8: I've ben looking for a wow gobbling in the sky.
Speaker 10: How I probably a ve goblet gillett in some whos or some cat tail goblet hunch it on a dump it or fat sell.
Speaker 8: My baby ducky, you had to ask, and I had to say, oh ruddy, that little group mill that baby display make him be al.
Speaker 6: Like my buddy.
Speaker 5: But don't hunting buddies. They just do cute if I see it cooked. And I just want from this certain ducks that I like you and an certain duck's where.
Speaker 3: I go with you too?
Speaker 10: Look at that these linstly gabblers.
Speaker 8: I damble with the dabbs, or in that of the manads the red head.
Speaker 6: The the good and tend the deals.
Speaker 1: If you do the dems back, there's gonna make the tended deal.
Speaker 9: That's the tails with some bravy russell sprouts, and my plate stood.
Speaker 7: The answer is the answer if.
Speaker 11: The question is what the taste good?
Speaker 9: Where the donkies say wear them wear the donkey sayd were the donkeys? Were the junkies? Hands were the donkeys? And where the where the junkies and were the donkies? And where where the dunkie?
Speaker 11: Sad?
Speaker 9: Why?
Speaker 8: Grid, that's some creepy stuff. I don't like the way the French people creaked ducks. They put a minute cage for speeding ducks. Might as well time up and just speaking ducks. Freedom duncks, I'm speaking of it. Save them wetlands, creeks and stuff they trying up.
Speaker 5: Ain't keeping up them ducks. They't need charity from us.
Speaker 8: Center, Bye bye their regulations.
Speaker 11: I do want that for conversation. You break the rooms, no conversation. You shot three scouts as the violation. Whoop, I fly and be on your ass, stomped with feet on your ass. Whoop, I might just clean on your ass, stopping feed on your ass.
Speaker 7: Then they live it up.
Speaker 1: Saving ducks in the bag won't get deal.
Speaker 5: The Redds give us tacks.
Speaker 1: If you hundred for Mallas, you can be here.
Speaker 5: She's got twenty bike.
Speaker 1: He's like Canadians in the fair reached by fly away.
Speaker 5: Don't shoot from the highway.
Speaker 11: Still shot in his new rightway, coming off with my twelve game.
Speaker 9: Wearing donkey, sad wearing winning donkey, Sam wearing donkeys, heading donkeys, wearing donkeys in wearing them, wearing the donkeys, in wearing donkeys, wear donkeys.
Speaker 2: What you do with him?
Speaker 1: Donchees probably smoked him.
Speaker 8: I smoked him with my shot, and then I smoked him with my smoker.
Speaker 5: I put him in a bride. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Used to saw that kosher, some godlic, cambra and sugar.
Speaker 4: Now I got a tasty potion.
Speaker 2: What kind of wood you use, pap wood?
Speaker 8: Call him dochee's tasting boy, the tasting good.
Speaker 11: I eat him, upping it knock, got my gut, hopping, the drugging, the I'm after hot put on my way as the crack of my dogs.
Speaker 5: The ducky's are smartting.
Speaker 1: These duckies are hug landing donkeys.
Speaker 9: And land and landing dunkeys in landing dunkeys in man and wan.
Speaker 6: And dunkeys and landing donkeys and land and man and dunkeys.
Speaker 9: And land and dunkeys in landing man and dunkeys.
Speaker 6: In last week I made a duck stuffed mushroom mixed with some cream cheese.
Speaker 9: I had like a.
Speaker 6: Mallard, a teal of golden eye and a buffel head up in that. Put some sage in it, some bread crumbs stuffed it in a mushroom baked in the oven, and I had some leftover fillings sa wad. I wrapped that up in a crescent roll a bunch of Crest rules. I've been eating those quite a bit lately.