Speaker 1: Episode three thirty six, how to get self care and healthcare treatments for free or low cost.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Frugal Friends podcast, where you'll learn to save money, embrace simplicity, and liver your life. Here your hosts Jen and Jill.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Frugal Friends podcast.
Speaker 3: My name is Jen, my name is Jill.
Speaker 1: In this podcast, we look through the internet to find what's on the front page of Google and we tell you what's worth listening to and what we've experienced. Probably doesn't work, but hey, maybe could work for you. Caveats right, So that is what we do on Frugal Friends podcasts, and today we are looking into self care and healthcare treatments, not like necessary health care, but elective.
Speaker 3: And self care can intersect with beauty and the things that we like to do to be pampered. So we're all over the map, but hopefully you get some great tips and things to try if you never have. But first, this episode is brought to you by Whisper down the Lane, a fun game where the original message usually gets distorted in a wild way. But in the age of tablets, this sponsor wants to remind us of that simple game we used to play. And if you miss whispering down the lane, but you're an adult now and you need to elevate this pastime, then engage in our friend letter referral program. Basically, once you are signed up to receive our newsletter, you can tell your friends about it and through your own personalized link when they sign up, we track it. You get free merch. The more sign ups you get through your link, the better stuff you get, like a mug or a sweatshirt falls coming. It's just around the corner you need that's whatshirt. So don't just whisper yell at your friends about how great this is and then get free stuff for yourself. It's the Frugal Friends friend letter referral program. Not saying it's the best title, but you can begin that journey at Frugal friendspodcast dot com slash friend letter. You get the friend letter yourself and then use the referral link to tell others about it. Free stuff comes to your door.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're wondering where your referral link is, it is at the bottom of every friend letter and we will tell you how close you are to your next merch prize. So thank you for sharing. And care and one of our friends. So we know that self care is not something that you can purchase. It is necessary and you can get it for free. We talk about that in one of our other episodes. I forget which one it is, but today we're talking about stuff you can buy, and that is beauty and like supplementary hell care types of things. We'll get into it, you'll get it. But we have some specific beauty episodes for you to queue up after this if you want to. Episode twenty five yikes, wow, all the way back there, Frugal Beauty, so all natural and affordable beauty and skincare products. And then episode one thirty two the pink tax, what it is and how to avoid it, so we talk about how women are coxed into spending more and also just like the nuts and bolts of how products for women actually do cost more and what we can do to lower that. So today is kind of in the same vein as those. But yeah, so let's get it started with our first article, and this is from style Caster. It's the secret to getting free or seriously cheap beauty services. And if you're not into like beauty stuff, stay with us because we've got other free and low cost services that you can get later on.
Speaker 3: So I'm just going to pick some of my favorites general pick hers. We're not going to go through all of the tips in this article, but it is linked in our show notes. The first one on here that I liked and have utilized this tip in the past, so he can vouch for the fact that it's possible. Is to look for new client discounts. So at any of the places that you might want to receive a service, whether it's a haircut or wax or fill in the blanks. I don't know what else we do to our bodies, but look at whether they offer a discount or maybe even a free service. So for example, European wax centers will offer first time visitors a free bikini line, eyebrow or underarm wax completely free. Or they also mentioned this other salon called Merle Norman studio locations you can get a free twenty minute facial. So those are just some examples. Check out the spots that are local to you and see if new clients get a discount or even a bonus thing that you don't have to pay for, which is super fun. And then you can bounce around, especially if you're living in a new area. Like when Eric and I moved to Florida, I was able to try out a bunch of different places until I could settle on where do I want to go regularly? What place do I like the most. But in the meantime, as you're testing out these places, getting discounts along the way.
Speaker 1: Another one that I like is to score a makeover. And so this one is you have to try this one judicially because it's saying to you can go to your local Mac store department store and just go in and get your makeup done. That is true, but they're going to want you to buy something. So what you can do is, if you have already bought something from a Mac or an Alta or a apartment store, you can go in with the thing that you have purchased and say, hey, I have this, I am not sure if it's right for me or how to use it or how to pair it with something else, And then you can ask for like a demonstration on how to or maybe you can go in with a look that you're thinking about and say, hey, this is what I have from you guys, is it possible for me how would I do this on my own? So you want to go in with something you've already purchased from them, and then you can get the suggestions for what else you can get and consider them. You don't have to make the purchase, but it is a little mouci if you just go in there and say, can you do my makeup for free? Though some people would love to, but we want to be as respectful of people's time as possible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have heard that that can be hit or miss. The people who work at those stores can be a little upset if you don't buy anything.
Speaker 1: Rightfully, so if they work on commission and they spend time with you, So this should just be cautious.
Speaker 3: Or plan that time out for when you know you need to replenish some item that you can buy from right. Absolutely, yes, Okay, So the next one on here that I'm choosing is join daily deal sites like Groupon, which I have heard about and used plenty in the past. But these other two have not heard of, but I'll mention them in case they're helpful. Life Booker and Guilt City guilt spelt Gilt. I checked out guilt Cities. I've never heard of it before. But it seems like they offer discounts on a variety of things, from spa type services, beauty products, even name brand designer products and resorts. It's kind of all over the map. If you're a little bit more bougie in your taste, you like the finer things luxury calls to you. We love that this would be a great spot to check out deeply discounted items. But again, if it's a designer brand, you're still going to be spending a decent amount on things. But it also looks like there are spa services at some of these spas that you can find in every state, so that's worth checking out. I've never heard it. I'm going to be digging through so Groupon I have utilized. You can find constantly massages, haircuts, waxing, laser hair removal treatments at places in your city and near you where you can get these services at sometimes fifty to seventy percent off, especially if you're a first time visitor.
Speaker 1: Well, we just put in the friend letter. If you're a subscriber, you got this. But if you are booking something like a health or wellness or beauty something on Groupon and you use racketin, then you can get like up to ten percent cash back, I think right now. So if you've never used racketin, it's you can get the Chrome extension and it'll tell you if you're on a site where you can get extra cash back on that site, and you just hit yes and then you can get cash back. If you've never used racketin, you can get thirty dollars bonus cash right now. So I think we did the math and the friend letter and it was like, if it's a one hundred and fifty dollars massage, that's seventy five on group on, and then you've got the ten percent cash back, so you've got seven to fifty off and then the thirty dollars bonus, so you're paying like less than thirty eight dollars thirty seven to fifty for a one hundred and fifty dollars massage, So you can get that bonus cash again if you've never used racketin before. Frugal Friends podcast dot com slash Racketin love it and I love groupon for that stuff. So my next thing that I like on this list is to give out refer So I'm going to combine this with two on the list the one is social media and one is referrals. So I'm in social media Instagram for B to B type of things. Apparently Instagram is now solely based for people hawking products. It's like a whole thing.
Speaker 3: That's all it is.
Speaker 1: It is, that's all Instagram is.
Speaker 3: Before it was ads from other businesses. Now it's just all of our friends, our feet have ads.
Speaker 1: But you can use this to your advantage. So if you are conscious of it, you don't have to hate it. You can be immune to it and not fall into it and use it to your advantage. So if there is a place that you love, this is much easier to do with local services. You don't need to have a huge following. If you are a local person promoting a local brand, it's much better. Like someone like us, we cannot get local brand no matter how many people we have. They don't want us, but they want you. So if there is a place that you love, see if you can go all out on social media like them, comment on their stuff, give them love so that boosts them in the local algorithm makes their ads you know, less expensive if they're running them, and see if you can partner with them in some way. I follow this girl, Alexa Curtis, and I follow her because she kind of teaches people how to do this and like loves to show herself like getting rejected from doing it, so like she'll try and get free hotel stays and she'll record herself on the phone with a hotel showing the process and sometimes like she'll get and sometimes she won't, and like she just records the process. So she shows like people how to do this, Alexa Curtis, and you can just try it. Try it if you have like maybe one thousand, two thousand followers, give it a shot and see if you can partner with local brands to get free services like haircuts, colors, hotel stays, maybe not a hotel stay, but all these different sorts of manicures, pedicures, stuff like that, and see how it works.
Speaker 3: Out for you. I love that. That feels like the next level after learning how to negotiate your internet bill or your cell phone bill. Once you've become comfortable with negotiating, then you'll be comfortable with some of these cold calls to see what you could get for free.
Speaker 1: Yes, and very much is kind of two oh one because we start with these negotiating bills down, and these are ways to lower our expenses. And that's we want to spend less money. We want the money that we're going out, we want to kind of stop and take back. And then this is twoh one. This is getting free stuff. Stuff you wouldn't have bought, but if you can get it for free, you'll take it. So this is a cool little spin. See how it works for you. I've done it on a different level, so I don't know if like they apply the same rules apply, but literally it's just kind of reaching out saying, this is my platform, this is where I'm located. All of my followers are located here too, And I see that you posted for National Hair Day? Are you going to celebrate that again? I would love to partner with you on that. Make it something like relevant to what they have already posted in the past, Like go back like nine to twelve months and see kind of what they've been doing and say, like, I could help you do this more and kind of get more coverage on it if I can get this thing for free.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The last one on here that I'll mention, although I've never tried it before, is to donate your hair to a place like Locks of Love, wigs for kids, panteen beautiful lengths, and a lot of times salons will desire and be eager to partner with you in your hair donation and may give you a free or steeply discounted cut as they help to support you in donating your hair to these worthwhile causes. It's probays something I should look into because my hair is so long. I do know that these programs will have a lot of stipulation, so certainly look into it. Make sure that you qualify to be able to donate hair based on length or type of hair. I don't know all of the different things that they're looking for, but don't just assume you can go into a salon and be like I'm donating and then they may not take your hair. So there's a couple of steps here of making sure that your hair would qualify for a donation and then calling around to various local salons to see if they offer any sort of of discount as you are donating hair to help you cut it off and maybe receive a fresh new look and style. So that's a cool one. Obviously, this isn't going to happen every single time. You get it cut. This is more of like a once every few years you could get this kind of discount, but worth looking into if your hair is long like me mm hmm.
Speaker 1: All right, and the last one on this list and where we're going to respend the remainder of this episode, and it is the true secret to getting free or seriously cheap beauty services. So thank you for sticking with us fifteen minutes into the episode where while we bury the lead on the secret, it's to get a trainee blowout. And so what that means is and you may have thought about this, you may have known this, but just like not it doesn't come to top of mind. But when hairstylists are in training, they need models, and those models are given free or dis counted haircuts, blowouts, sometimes color chemical services. They are students, but they are supervised very closely by teachers. So there are a ton of different self care services that you can get four deeply discounted through this method, and both Jill and I have tried them. So we're going to kind of go a little deeper than this article goes into them on kind of what is available. So, Jill, what self care services have you gotten from schools.
Speaker 3: I have both self care and medical. I've gotten a cleaning an X ray of my teeth at a school, which I think you have linked. It's one of the things we're going to talk about now. I did have to be with willing to spend three hours in the chair. So for those of you who don't like having your teeth worked on, this may not be for you. But I was willing because we don't have dental insurance, so I was willing to spend my time over spending thousands of dollars out of pocket to get the X ray, the exam, the teeth cleaning, and so I essentially was a model a person that this dental practicing dental hygienist was able to clean my teeth. She did have someone, a supervisor, be able to come and check, and that person helped to make sure that everything was clean and being done properly. They were able to do X rays because that's something else they had to practice, and I want to say it was less than fifty dollars. So again I had to spend an afternoon there with somebody digging around in my mouth, but that felt so worth it to me. I have also what else have I done. I want to say waxing. I've not now, granted, I've not done a ton of these because my mind just didn't think of it that, oh, this could go beyond dental cleanings or haircuts. I've also done haircuts this way too, going to a school where someone who's practicing with your hair. Again, if you are a person who's really particular, then this may not be for you, But for me, I just want my dead ends gone and I don't really care because it's going to grow out again. And that too. I want to say, fifteen to twenty dollars is how much a haircut would cost. And I think that they washed my hair as well. Lots of other things that you'll probably outline here Jen too, but those are the only ones now that I know. All of these, all of these people have to learn somehow, so everyone's out here practicing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was a time in my life for exclusively every service I got was done at a school, So I have I've definitely had hair services done at a school. A Veda has schools, Paul Mitchell has schools. Those are franchises, but there are some individually owned ones. So this is something where we're not going to be able to give you a list, So we're telling you this information so that you know what's available and you can go online and search these types of schools to see what's in your area and then inquire about how to make an appointment. So I've done massages. There is a massage school nearby, and so I've had a massage and massage school.
Speaker 3: It's great.
Speaker 1: I've done haircut color. I even did a perm ones, which is a story for later in the episode, which is I know, if you're looking at me and you can see what my hair looks like, you will laugh. And then there's also at these same schools waxing, manicures, and pedicures. Travis for years exclusively got his hair and beard trimmed at a barber school. Those things are different than cosmetology schools, so you can look for those for your hobby, for your man, or for you if you are a man. Facials. I actually haven't gotten a facial at a school, but that was the next thing that I wanted to try. These are some of the things you're looking mostly for kind of trade schools like this that teach these skills, and all of them are going to require you to call for an appointment. These are not going to be book online and they are going to require some time. Like I know Travis one time spent four hours at that barber shop, and that's a little unreasonable. I think you should plan to spend two hours for something that might normally take you one hour. So just kind of double the time if it's going to take you one hour by a professional, plan to be at the school for two hours. So yeah, definely facial is on my next but you can you can get legit, like at the massage school near US eighty minute massage.
Speaker 3: It's wild.
Speaker 1: It doesn't even matter a long time what it's like, like, it's just so long. It has like you're going to get something from it, them kneading into your body.
Speaker 3: I've not done this yet, but Eric did go to the massage school near US a while ago for a massage and he said it was great. I think he got the hour long one. But it was fluorescent lighting in kind of a larger room, so he was like, that was kind of odd. Where you might be more accustomed to a small room, dim lighting, soft music. This was a little bit.
Speaker 5: More of a which school did he hospital like setting I don't remember, but I just remember him talking about, you know, like the curtains that separate you from others in the er, Like they just had curtains and fluorescent lighting.
Speaker 3: But then he got a massage.
Speaker 1: Was it down here?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh so I went to Cortiva and it was definitely the hospital whatever Corids providers, but they had the lights low and there was music playing. Okay, the experience. They tried to keep it similar even though it.
Speaker 3: Was like Bulk.
Speaker 1: It was like massage in Bulk, and everyone goes in at the same time and everyone like leaves at the same time because it's scheduled, like these are all the sixty minute massages. These are all the eighty minute massages. So it's not like there's a lot of movement going on in the room while you're getting the massage. Smart like everyone enters and leaves at the same time.
Speaker 3: Maybe they just didn't have the dimming function happening with their lights when Eric but you close your eyes, just close your eyes. Yeah, I haven't been to the new location. But also it may have to do with the trainees. So that's another thing to ask when you are calling being like hey, I you know first years, second years.
Speaker 1: What's the difference? Newer ones probably might have the light on, whereas people about to graduate are practicing doing it in the dark. So again something to ask when you call, because you do have to call to book these. There are two sites on this website that you can try to look for these schools. The first is Salon apprentice dot com and the other is Salon Guinea Pig dot co dot UK. So if you're in the UK, Salon Guinea Pig, Salon Apprentice if you're in the US. But I even had friends who were in hair school, and I did this a lot when I had friends in hair school obviously, but they would have to do like whole shebang cut color to take pictures, so like you could get like a full like blowout, maybe not a cut, but blowout makeup. You could get like headshots done with this sort of thing.
Speaker 3: You're so excited. Got to use it.
Speaker 1: Was so fun, especially like I was young and had nothing else to do. But yeah, so there are so many options. I had really great experiences at the Paul Mitchell School and a Veda. Try those look for local ones too. But we've talked about self care. Now we're going to talk a little bit about semi elective health care. You won't be able to find like actual med schools doing free and low cost treatments at the med school, though sometimes if you're friends with somebody at the med school, you may be able to be a guinea pig. I am not familiar with that sort of thing, so that's not what we're talking about. I don't know the ins and outs of med school. But I went to acupuncture school. I am a licensed trained acupuncturist, and I know that we had a clinic, a student clinic where we had to intern, where people got low cost acupuncture even like free, low cost be twelve injections, all kinds of things. And so I wanted to find out what are the other schools like that where you could get free or discounted like healthcare types of things. And what did you know, there's not a single article on it. I scoured Google, and so I had to come up with my own list. And the article that we're going to go through is simply what to expect when you go into a place like this. So it's from Saint Pete College Dental Hygiene Clinic, which is where Jill went to get her dental.
Speaker 3: Cleaning, cleaning, and X ray, an exam. Yes, did it all.
Speaker 1: So we'll speak from her experience here, but also my experience as an intern at one of these types of clinics. We'll just go through some of the options, and I guess we'll start with mental health options.
Speaker 3: So when it comes to specifically I'm thinking about receiving support, whether it's counseling one on one or group counseling, there are plenty of ways to find this at a reduced cost, sometimes free, depending on what the type of care and support is that you're receiving. One of the sites that I would direct people to is Nammy and Ami. It's a great website for discovering mental health supports in your area. You can search for counseling offices that might take your insurance or might operate on a sliding scale fee. I know when I worked at a counseling office, we would both take insurance and private pay clients, and depending on income levels, we would be able to offer counseling sessions at a reduced cost. You, of course, that would have to be willing to submit pay stubs and kind of prove your income bracket. To be eligible for reduced cost counseling services, but that is available and something worth looking into if you do need higher levels clinical level type of care. There's also plenty of other options regarding support, so this would be more so support groups, but there are nearly everywhere you can find free support groups for grief and loss, substance misuse, recovery, gambling, even just support for experiences of anxiety or what it's like to be a new parent. These can be found certainly by going to that website and NAMMY's website and ami dot org, I believe, but also you can check out local churches will often allow support groups to meet at their locations. You could google just in your area support group for whatever it is that you're seeking support for, and I will advocate just to say there is so much benefit to meeting in a group with other people who are having similar experiences to you. Both one on one individual clinical counseling as well as support groups are great, but I wouldn't discount support groups if it's all that you are able to afford. Essentially, if you can't even afford anything, you're looking for something solely for free. There is a ton of research to support the fact that support groups can be phenomenally beneficial in being able to just talk through what you're experiencing with others who have gone through the same thing, or even to hear other people's stories, gain perspective, kind of put words to what you might be feeling and experiencing in ways that you might not have been able to say, and find yourself with like minded people. So these are fantastic ways to be able to receive some of that community emotional mental health support that you can find for free or reduced costs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to touch back to the income topic first before we move on. A lot of people don't seek out these services because they think that all of them require you to be low income, and it's not the case for most of them. Yes, for medical schools and medical care and really one on one mental health care, stuff like that, stuff that is extremely important and vital that we would not classify as maybe elective. Those things are reserved for lower income households, and you will need to prove that. And you should not take somebody's free healthcare or mental health services if you do not need them, if you can afford them on your own. However, there are a ton of things you can get that it doesn't matter your income. They're more elective, they're not the requirement. So, like I said before, you're not going to find medical schools really doing this sort of thing like we see at the massage schools or the acupuncture schools. The medical schools are going to be those students are going to be in actual hospitals, they're going to be in actual practices, they're going to accept insurance, they're doing stuff like that. So I really looked even outside of family care. I looked at optometry, pedietary, kind of the peripheral stuff too, like even plastic surgery, cosmetic stuff, and that across the board really is at hospitals, and you're going to pretty much be paying standard pricing for stuff like that. But stuff that we did find, and I will say like, if you are in that income bracket, you should not feel ashamed or feel like you're taking anything away from seeking those services. Those services are available to you because of that income bracket, But if you're outside of it, don't gain the system. But stuff that they need people in every income bracket are the stuff like acupuncture. I can go deeper into kind of what that was like, because I think it's going to be a pretty similar experience across the board massage like we talked about earlier, the dental cleanings, and the X rays like we mentioned earlier, chiropractic Chiropractic schools will have clinics. I did see some pedietary stuff, so I think maybe more of the elective pedietary things. I don't know what those things would be, but if you're near a pedetary school, you can call them find out. Naturopathic medicine. So this is a third medical degree for a doctor. So you've got empty, you've got DO, and then you've got ND and this is a holistic kind of medical doctor. They are not licensed in every state, so you don't really see them in hospitals, but if you're near a naturopathic medical school. That's one of the reasons why you can go see them for medical care is because they're not as prevalent in the hospitals and the private practices and stuff. So they do have clinics that you can go in for family practice for a discounted rate. So search naturopathic medicine. They've gone San Diego, Portland, Oregon, Chicago. I think Boston. There's a handful of schools around the country physical therapy. There are some as long as it's like a physical therapy, like a master's program and not in the med school sort of track, then physical therapy. I found some schools had clinics where you could if you have a sports injury, you can go in and kind of get diagnosed and treated there. And then one that I found out at the very last minute, right before we went to record this episode, and it's not healthcare, but I thought it was worth saying, was legal services. And this is another you have to be an income bracket to get this, but if you are near a law school, you can call them and see what kind of legal services their students could offer to the public. There's these things called clinics, and that's how I found it, that students can kind of work on actual cases and help and serve the public while they're in school. Again kind of all going through licensed attorneys and practicing attorneys. But so if you are in need, and you are in a lower income household or no people in a lower income household that may need legal services and you can't afford to help them financially, then check out these law schools and see what services they have available to low income communities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is awesome while they're all still wide eyed and bright eyed and bushy tailed understanding all of the ethical implications and studying the law to the team, and that it might be even more advantageous to get them while they're in school.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I will also add to that that sometimes dentistry schools, so even beyond your dental hygiene schools, at least in the Tampa Bay area, there are dentistry schools that will even do implants and other more higher levels of dental care at reduced costs as well. So while sometimes this medical care you'll need to support your financial need to be able to receive those service, but not all the time, so look and check in your area. I would say probably a rule of thumb is where sometimes your medical insurance doesn't cover these things. Don't know why they don't cover eyes and teeth, as if they're not real parts of our body that need care. But sometimes that is where you could find some reduced cost availability because insurance doesn't historically cover that, and you may not need to prove income level.
Speaker 1: That's a good rule of thumb. I didn't immediately find anything locally for optometry, but I did not look at every single right optometry school.
Speaker 3: Well, but sometimes there are programs for even just getting reduced cost eye wear and glasses and contacts and that kind of a thing. So yeah, definitely, But you know what, you never have to prove your income for.
Speaker 1: Let's take a look real quick at what you might want to expect at doing one of these. And we'll look at this one. This is just for a dental hygiene clinic in our area. Will kind of go through it real quick so that you get an idea of cost expectations, stuff like that. Jill, you can go through it because you actually did this one, so you can say what is most important here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I went to a dental hygiene clinic close by to us, and they offer on their website a really clear way clear pathway forward in being able to schedule, so you can call them up schedule a time that works for you. Now, to be fair, the dental hygiene school that I went to, I believe they only had hours on Tuesdays or Thursdays, so I did have to have flexibility. I did go in the afternoon, so that is a factor to consider. I believe that they might have offered Saturday hours once a month something like that. Those were harder to book because obviously more people want to be able to book on the weekend. I was able to clear my schedule go in the after noon. When I arrived, there was maybe one other person in the waiting room, but it looked very similar to a typical dentist office, you know, once you walk through the school. They really wanted to make it feel like a typical office. So there was a waiting room, there was a desk. I went up. They had expected me. I had to fill out a little bit of paperwork. It was a matter of minutes, five ten minutes before the student who was practicing came and got me, sat me in the chair, and everything went very similar to how it would add a dentist's office, just a lot longer. Like I had said, So she's practicing, and at each stage of the process she had to have her supervisor, who has been in the dental hygiene field for I want to say, over a decade. She would come and check the student's work at every stage. And they wanted to do the whole list of things. So that's partially why it took so long. It was the cleaning, the oral exam, the x rays, the talking to me about dental hygiene. She had an entire list of things that she needed to be going through, which I was pleased for how thorough it was, but again a long amount of time. Then we would go to the room to get the x rays, back to the chair, but very similar to a typical dental annual visit that you might have getting checked by the supervisor. So just factor that it's going to take a while. But after that, Yeah, I paid thirty to forty dollars for that at the time, for the entire afternoon.
Speaker 1: So my experience as an intern at an acupuncture clinic is similar. So they made it feel like a clinic when you walked in. It didn't feel like a school. It had a separate entrance, a separate parking lot. We went in with the patient and we you know, took their intake, and then we would go out and we would consult with a practicing licensed acupuncturist about what we thought what the protocol would be, and then we would get that approved and then we would go back and we would do the treatment. So sometimes you will see like the practicing licensed individual, and sometimes you won't I don't think sometimes if there was a interesting case, then the acupuncture would come in and kind of see for themselves. But if it was very cut and dry, especially like follow ups, then they wouldn't come in and it could be faster. So if this is something like you're going to like a physical therapist or a massage therapist or an acupuncturist who's in school, and you can see the same person over and over, it can get quicker with each subsequent visit. Things like dental hygiene, you probably won't be seeing the person over and over. But this website does say there's no charge for additional appointments or additional services such as selins and fluoride treatments, like for the same cleaning. Jill, did you have to go back another time or was it just the one time?
Speaker 3: No, just the one time. They said that they'd be happy to continue to see me in six months, like your typical dental office where they'll do a cleaning for you every six months. Yeah, I didn't go back. I would I just were not doctors. I don't go to theaical advice. Please, I'm so sorry.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so that's kind of what to expect. Again, any place where you would be seeing a professional, assume that it's going to be double the time at a school, and I would say, just call Google the schools that are around you and what they offer. We gave you the list. There'll also be in our show notes. See what they offer, See when it's scheduled, because it's going to be maybe not as can convenient as a professional place, and then kind of call and schedule and see what it's like. But they're typically very professional. So the barber school that Travis went into to get his cuts and trims, the front looked like a barbershop and the school was in the back. They try to make the experience great, great for not just the client, but also real life for the students. So the student feels like they're in a real life sending and they're not in school. So yeah, that's uh. I think the secret to getting these free, low cost, mostly low cost services that we often forget about, but let's not sleep on it.
Speaker 3: And brainstorm there's probably more of it we didn't have mention, but think about every single field needs to practice and start somewhere. I mean, this is outside of this particular exact theme that we're talking about, but even from website creation to photography to anything, everyone has to learn a trade and a skill, and usually as they're learning, if you're willing to sacrifice a degree of quality or your own time, you can typically get those things for reduced or free prices if you're willing to sacrifice in some other ways. So try it out. Speaking of areas that are free that you really don't have to sacrifice anything for.
Speaker 1: Oh, this is professional, low cost and always always a success.
Speaker 3: The bill of the week.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's time for the best minute of your entire week. Maybe a baby was.
Speaker 1: Born and his name miss Williams.
Speaker 2: Maybe you've paid off your mortgage, maybe your card died and you're happy to not have to pay that bill anymore. That's bills, butffalo bills, Bill clion, this is the bill of the week.
Speaker 4: Hi, frugal friends, this is Kim in Rochester, Minnesota. Well, after listening to all three hundred of your episodes, Woo, I finally realized that I do need to call my internet provider and negotiate my service. So I called and I said, Hey, is there any way I can lower my bill. I just see other services that are, you know, twenty thirty dollars lower. And the lady was super helpful, absolutely great customer service.
Speaker 1: And she said, based on where I.
Speaker 4: Live, I live in a high cost of living area that I qualify for the Affordable Connectivity Program. So now my bill will be thirty dollars less a month, which is one of my credit card payments, so I can make an extra payment on my credit card. I am super excited. Guys, thank you so much for your advice. Keep doing what you're doing. You guys are the best. To have a nice.
Speaker 3: Day, Kim, straight out the gate. I love your energy. First of all, that was very fun for us. I'm just going to start here too. Thanks for listening to all of our episodes.
Speaker 1: People will be like, why you do so many episodes and like, because it takes Kim three hundred episodes to make moves, and we're here for all of them. We're here for all of them.
Speaker 3: Kim, Kim from Minnesota needed three hundred episodes before she would call and lower her internet bill, and some people will need four or five hundred, and we're here for you. But well done, Kim, because you're making up for lost time here by not just lowering your internet bill, but choosing to put that savings into additional credit card payments to reduce your debt. So you are doing it, You have listened. Well done, Yes, rats Kim, this is fantastic. Credit card debt is a menace to society, and so I'm so glad you're gonna be able to pay it off faster. If you all are listening, and you've been listening for a while, and you want us to keep pumping out episodes where then we're gonna keep needing your bills. If it's taken you all these episodes to make some moves great, if you made moves a while ago and you never told us about it, well call us up. Frugal Friends podcast dot com, slash bill. Leave us your bill. It can be about anything. You can be from anywhere, Minnesota or Australia, anywhere in between. Leave us your bill. We're ready for it, and now it's time for.
Speaker 1: All right. So, as with any success, there will also be failure. And failure seems like such a harsh word, but it's just just just a little blip, a sad learn from them.
Speaker 3: Yes, failures are sometimes our best educators. Yes, you don't need to avoid them, lean in and learn.
Speaker 1: So not everyone is going to have a good experience getting a service done at a school, and you're going to hear people are going to be like, I'm not going to try that because my friend had a horrible experience. And as somebody who has gotten so many services from schools, I too have had negative experiences.
Speaker 3: And it hasn't stopped you yet.
Speaker 1: And it hasn't stopped me yet, except now I don't have the time. Now I have the money and not the time, so I no longer go to schools. But if time is on your side and your money is better spent elsewhere, schools are where it's at. But our lightning round today is what's the worst discount school service fail you've ever experience? I have a lot of experiences, but only, honestly, only one has been bad of all the.
Speaker 3: Times tell us about it.
Speaker 1: So I volunteered for this nonprofit and traveled with them for a semester and we did presentations in a bunch of schools and one of those schools was Paul Mitchell Schools, so the Hair Schools. So we would go to every town we went in that had a Paul Mitchell. We would do a presentation for their students and they would always give us free something at the end. And so this was near the end of tor So I had gotten free color, I had gotten free cut, I had gotten pretty much everything that you could that I wanted to do to my hair for free. And so one of the girls was like, why don't we try and give you a PERM so that it kind of like softens out your curls and decreases your frizz. And I was like, I don't understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because side note Jen has curly hair. Yeah, curly hair.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like I don't need a PERM. So I was young and naive and I didn't think about it. So I was like, okay, So I was in that chair for a long time. Perms take a long time, and I was obviously out of school, so it took double the amount of time of regular perm And at the very end they were like, what, this isn't right, So it shouldn't be like this, And after several minutes of sad deliberation, she realized she forgot to put the activator in.
Speaker 3: So I was I don't know, I don't know what that does.
Speaker 1: What does that mean it activates the perm? She put my hair, she put wet hair in rollers. Essentially, she put wet hair in rollers.
Speaker 3: That's okay, that sounds okay.
Speaker 1: And that's it. That's all that happened. So nothing so nothing bad happened. But nothing happened. And I was in that chair for hours. Oh I didn't want to be there.
Speaker 3: I was so done.
Speaker 1: I'm so angry. And no I didn't. I never got the perm because she forgot to put the activator in.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, okay, so your hair didn't fall out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know right. We were waiting for the fallout of that.
Speaker 3: Okay, if you ever were to play never have I ever? Would you have to drink? When someone said got a perm? Where do you qualify that as? Did you never have a PM? Didn't you?
Speaker 1: I didn't because I guess you still would. She wet my hair and put it in rollers. That's not a perm. The perm is the chemical.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you thought you were getting a perm. You didn't get a perm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, So I'll never know if a perm would have would have taken my frizz away.
Speaker 3: Wow, you're threatening that needle right there. You won't know.
Speaker 1: I'll never know if.
Speaker 3: I would have major hair fault.
Speaker 1: But I just figured out hair care via shampoos and conditioners and stuff, and I took my own frizze away without a perm.
Speaker 3: But no, are you curious?
Speaker 1: No, because that's so much work and so much chemical Like I don't even dye my hair. I don't put any chemicals in my hair. Me neither, So I don't really care to know because I would never do it again.
Speaker 3: Although one time I did get my mother in law to give me a perm and now I did actually get the perm. She did put the perm in the perm.
Speaker 1: Perm activator in and what did that look like?
Speaker 3: And I liked it? It looked great. I should try and find an old video.
Speaker 1: Or video video of your curls bouncing. They were just so beautiful they bounced.
Speaker 3: Never took a photo, just jumped and videoed it cool. Okay, So for me, I have not explored the school thing enough to have a bad story. It's only been good for me, other than Eric's story of the fluorescent lights being on during his massage, but he wasn't even complaining it was fine. So yes, I'm an advocate for do it go, get the students to do the stuff on you for me, it's when I'm trying to hack my medical care on my own at home that it doesn't go well. Oh wow, Yeah, you've probably heard these stories before because I can't not talk about it. Some of them are more intimate than others.
Speaker 1: They're things that probably should be saved for the after show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just know that I've tried to do a lot of things through Internet research and herbs and stuff that you know, you just should probably take the Internet away from me. Someday I'll get medical insurance, but I just I'm not going to go to the doctor, not gonna do it, And so super glue and garlic and Eric's old T shirts are gonna just be how I move through life.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: All right, let's wrap this thing up.
Speaker 1: Well, we're not doctors. Don't take our medical advice on anything, but thank you so much for listening. Please let us know if you get any of your beauty or elective healthcare services from a school and you get a discount on it and you had a good experience, please let us know on our bill of the week line, and that will be so fun. But we also love reading your kind reviews, so maybe you can leave it in a review too, or an email. We especially love this very sweet email from David so congratulations. Your podcast has been a continual source of motivation for me over the past four years here in my little corner of Australia. Getting the opportunity to support you, even if only a little, by buying a copy of your book, will be a joy for me. My wife, three kids, and I live in a fairly high cost of living city in Australia and through your podcast, I feel I have found some kindred spirits. We would typically have been advised against some of the decisions we've made, like as purchasing a house mortgage free or avoiding credit entirely, but your philosophy around values based spending the radical middle has been invaluable in giving a bit of community feel despite being the odd one out. Thank you for everything. Thank you, David so kind.
Speaker 3: David, you obviously really get it, you understand. You and Kim must have been listening for a while to us because you understand, and we're so thrilled to have community near and far. Thank you to the rest of you who maybe you've not submitted a Bill of the Week or a review yet, but you're enjoying the show. We just appreciate your listens, of course, but if you've not done those things before, please do take a minute to at least leave a rating and review. If you are enjoying this show, it really helps us because it helps other potential community members find us, know what to expect with the show, and possibly be able to find the support and tips that they need.
Speaker 1: See you next time. Frugal Friends is produced by Eric Sirianni. What was with the garlic? What did you do to garlic?
Speaker 3: I had a feminine problem. Was supposed to eradicate the itch?
Speaker 1: Oh so as somebody who has like a degree in a not more than a natural Yeah do I love over the counter stuff, you know, like things that were made by you know, doctors.
Speaker 3: It always ends up there. But I tried to avoid antibiotics so much. But yeah bye. By the end of seven days, I was quite literally this is not figurative, banging my head against a wall. I was so uncomfortable. I had done apple cider vinegar in all of the ways, apples hitter vinegar every direction. Oh no, uh huh, yogurt garlic, Oh my word. I had made a concoction of yogurt, garlic and apple cider vinegar that I ate. No, that one I stirred together, Jen I downed it because because when you are to that point and you're so miserable, you'll do anything, and I mean anything. So yeah, I'm eating that, I'm doing other things that I can't talk about on show. And yeah, it wasn't it wasn't working. I did have to do antibiotics. And that's where friends come in handy. We've got a friend this who we can call up and say, here's my issue, and she'll write a script for us. Well.
Speaker 1: Telehealth is on every single sharance provider. I mean I use healthcare sharing, you use healthcare Sharing and we have a free teledoc service.
Speaker 3: Yep. Eventually that's what I did. I did the telehealth, told them my symptoms. And then you can use good Rx, which is an app and it will give you like a coupon code for the prescription that you got and it works anywhere, whether you're getting it from Costco or CVS or wherever your pharmacy is. I think I paid six bucks for the antibiotic.
Speaker 1: Honestly, that's how much antibiotics costs. They're so cheap. You don't even need good RX most of the time.
Speaker 3: I just don't like putting antmbiotics in my body. But for this whatever it was worth it.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's worth it so it doesn't turn into a bigger, more expensive issue. So take care of yourself.
Speaker 3: And I didn't even have to go to the doctor. You're right, I didn't have to go. Yeah, come on, but these are the things I do.
Speaker 1: Leave garlic where it belongs in your pasta at Carabas