Speaker 1: Warning, today's episode contain's spoilers for the first two episodes of the charming Star Wars Skeleton Crew. Oh my name is Jason Getzepsion and joining us today, we have some special but also comforting guests.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm Joe Lane.
Speaker 3: And I'm Aaron Kaufman, and.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the extra vision of the podcast where we dive deep bitty of very Joe's movies, comments, and pop culture. Coming from Myron Podcasts. We're bringing you three episodes week every Tuesday and Thursday, and extra episode every Wednesday. Today's episodes we're reacting to the first two episodes, wonderful episodes of Disney's latest Star Wars show, Skeleton Crewe and it's fantastic. We're gonna be jumping out of the airlock to talk about Skeleton Crew episodes one and two coming up. Now, all right, let's start. Do we open in the year nine? Ab y folks. The Empire is fallen, the New Republic is solidifying it's governmental infrastructure across the galaxy, and it's a little messy, but that's what democracy is. It's a little messier because everybody has a voice, but it is messy and in particular intergalactic travel. Intergalactic cargo is being preyed upon by piracy, which remains a massive problem in the New Republic era. We open in space, a pirate vessel attacks a cargo ship. The pirates board. There's a big firefight, but the pirates win. They get into the vault at the best of apparently their captain. Do we do we think that this helmeted gentlemen who spoiler alert is Jude Law's character and you can kind of tell through the through the yeah, yeah, but he appears to be the captain of this of this particular pirate crew, right, and he clearly has sold them a bill of goods, which is we're going to attack this ship. This ship has it purports to be just carrying fruits and vegetables and what have you. But there's a magnetic vault on it, which can only mean massive, massive wealth within this ship. But they cut open the vault and there's one measly credit inside. And so now the pirates, including a wolfman named Brutus, is first of all awesome, I have we have not seen a live action wolfman since Star Wars, and only briefly in the CANTEENA correct me some someone if I'm wrong. Although he's The Wolfmen have made appearances in other formats, including the comics, but awesome, awesome to see one and they're all pissed at Jude Law and they start just beating the brakes off this guy. We go elsewhere to a planet that we don't know the name of yet we will eventually, and we meet Whim, a young human who is getting ready for school. His father, Wendel, is a single dad, played shockingly for fans of mid aught indie rock by t Brooklyn's TV on the radio Frontman tun Day at a Bimbay Anyone like Me, any other TV on the radio.
Speaker 3: Heads out there did not expect a Pitchfork favorite to be in the new Star Wars show.
Speaker 1: He's been in other stuff. He was in, Oh, what's the Anne Hathaway wedding film? That's very good, Rachel get married.
Speaker 2: He's in that.
Speaker 1: He's been in other stuff, but like it. I was like I had to pause and like gather myself. I'm like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: The dead.
Speaker 1: Anyway, dad is very very busy, and he leaves his son with like a pile of credits and leaves, which leads me to ask the group, shouldn't the Republic and shouldn't the Empire before them have figured out a more efficient currency format, because it just feels like a big like pile of dou balloons is not necessarily It was great, by the way, for this particular story, absolutely, but I don't know if it's I don't know if it's the medium for intergalactic trade that you're looking for.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't have like a kid's credit card version of the visa bucks or whatever.
Speaker 4: They're trading everything else on like little floppy disc esque technology. I feel you could absolutely have digital currency at this point.
Speaker 2: Get it together, Star Wars.
Speaker 1: Come on, Yeah, I get it together. Wim lives in a really well laid out and picturesque suburban settlement on whatever planet this is. He's on his way to school. He runs into his friend Neil, who is an Ordolan, one of the elephant species of Star Wars. I believe the keyboard player in the Max. I believe Max Rebo is an Orderland. Is that not the is that?
Speaker 4: So there's there's believe that this is not an Orland. Max Fewill is one This that's a little more expressive, a little different, and the I believe the creator and the showrunner have both confirmed that this is a different species.
Speaker 2: But I don't think we know what this species is yet.
Speaker 3: Okay, I see and thank god he's more expressive because Neil's eyes are my MVP of episode one for sure. Neil Is is absolutely the runaway MVP of the series thus far. Neil and Whim are obsessed with Jedis. They get on the bus and out the window, Whim sees two girls whip by on a speeder which another fun fact about this particular planet is their currency is big gold coins, and kids can drive vehicles at excessive rates of speed on highways that look like it could just be like Houston, Texas. Like the on ramps and off ramps feel very like basic metropolitan highway here.
Speaker 1: Listen, school is boring, we get it. Classes boring, the teachers are very boring droids but no personalities. Wim gets caught dueling instead of paying attention by the guest speaker of the class this particular day, and that is Under Secretary Pharah of the New Republic. She comes to address the class about the Career Assessment Test, which is tomorrow. Career Assessment Test just like it sounds. It's like it sounds like kind of like O levels. I guess, like in England, it's like, this is the test you take that will basically set you up for your career and lock you in for life.
Speaker 2: Did you guys have to do career aptitude tests?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, I never did, did you know?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah absolutely?
Speaker 4: Right after Squared Dancing, they were like, okay, here's the career aptitude test and it'll tell you what jobs you should look at in the future. But it's a very dumb test. It's sort of like taking a Yahoo test where you're like, I kind of know what the answers are gonna Do you like writing?
Speaker 2: Do you journal a lot? I was gonna be a writer?
Speaker 3: Is like, which of these answers makes me a Jedi? Yeah, I'll answer yes to all that I wish.
Speaker 1: Right, Sofa asks, you know, it goes around the classes like what do you want to do? What are you interested in? And she calls on whim who's like trying to hide from answering, and he basically says like I, in not so many words, I would like to be a Jedi. I want to help people when they're in danger. I want to It's been interesting. This is the first Star Wars that I can recall in which Jedis are like famous, famous, because it seems to me previously, it seems to me previously that it's like Jedi, who what? What are they?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: They did they even exist? What's going on with them? This is super interesting to me, and I hope they explain it in detail, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I hypothesizing if we're nine years after the Battle of Jevan and we understand that Luke eventually goes on to build a Jedi school. Okay, at first I was prickly, and then I was like, Okay, well it's a little different.
Speaker 2: We haven't really been here before.
Speaker 4: But we'll pick this conversation up when we're recapping the second episode, because then there's a wrench, right that makes me question all of that then.
Speaker 1: Because I yeah, because there's that, I can't wait to get to that wrench, because I think the wrench might have something to do with explaining why Jedis are so much more well known on this particular planet. Anyway, Wim is stressed about the assessment because he completely forgot about it. We learned that Neil has a crush on a particular student named Runa Neil Roswim for saying he wants to be a Jedi. And elsewhere we meet the girls Fern and KB. They're on their speeder. They are driving again at excessive speed and extremely irresponsibly. They are how they are allowed to drive like this, I don't know, but their speeder breaks down and they end up having to walk it home. Elsewhere, Wim watches Neil get welcomed home by his large and loving and very active family, and then Wim goes home to an empty house and he's very sad. It's wonderful and they all seem to get along.
Speaker 3: Yes, everyone's excited. Neil's home, a parent is home.
Speaker 1: And they're all watching TV together and playing together. And then Wim goes home to like his iPad and his darkened house. This is like a very gen X coded story, not just in the fact that, like we're obviously calling on Spielbergian tones et the Goonies, these kinds of kids on their bikes alone nobody watching them kind of feel. But this latchkey kid thing too feels very specifically gen X. I think it's pretty smart.
Speaker 4: Also, the single parent household element, yes, very gen X of like my family is not a whole sort of situation. Uh yeah, I really feel I feel like we get a lot of insight into this little dude. I wim is maybe the most charming name for a care character like this ever. And the minute they were like yeah, he's whom I was like, Oh no, I love the sleep Baby. Please protect him at all. Cough, I'm worried about him. He's courting danger too much.
Speaker 1: At home. KB, who is the one of the girls of the pair who wears the kind of like Jordi from Star Trek the next Generation type visor, is trying to fix the speeder. More on this later, because it feels like KB is the one who knows how to do everything, but somehow Fern is always in the lead. Okay, but she can't fix it. They need a power converter, and apparently they really need it because Fern has a upcoming race against like the cool kid Bullies who are just like they come by and they're just like, we're gonna beat your ass at this race.
Speaker 2: You better be there.
Speaker 3: The cool kid Bullies, who is like one older kid and then two little kids in the sidecar too. It's the least intimidating look of a bullet, ever, but still very charming.
Speaker 1: It seems like the girls are new to the planet. Also, Fern goes home late. He convinces she convinces her droid to lie to her mom that she was actually home all the time and she was just doing homework and we learned that her mom is under Secretary of Farah. And of course Mom is very much like, Hey, assessment test, you got to kill it. Dad returns home to find Whim cramming for the test. Wim is like, will you read me a bedtime story like mom used to do? And Dad is like no, and also, aren't you too old for.
Speaker 2: This toxic masculinity? E late this kid, this wasn't spend time with you, dad, Jesus.
Speaker 1: I agree with the note that when you just like learn to read and read on your own, but also hang out with your son you've been not been home all day, do something else you don't you know, do another thing, but like hang over with your kid.
Speaker 2: What is happening here?
Speaker 1: Anyway? Wim gets on his iPad and reads his Jedi book. The next day, Whim misses the bus very bad because it's test day. He grabs a speeder from the garage and takes the short cut that he saw Fern and KB take the previous morning. Neil, a great friend, tries to delay the test to no avail. Of course, the short cut through the woods is like extremely treacherous, and Wim crashes into a gully, tries to climb out of the gully, and as he is climbing, he discovers like a strange hatch buried in the mud. A school attends at Droid finds him because he's within sight of the school. He's probably I don't know, judging by like CGI distances, I'm guessing he's like a mile and a half from the school, but like close enough that a Droid could pick up his chain code, I guess, and be like, where is this kid? The Droid takes him to school. He has to sit in the hallway to talk to what is their version of the principal, the procter. He's looking through his Jedi book, looking because he feels like this must be a Jedi temble. He's looking for symbology that could tie what he knows about Jedi to this thing that he found. And then Fern comes and sits down next to him, and she's in trouble for something. Whim missed the test. Fern isn't for racing bikes. Whim is like I saw you racing. Fern is like, you know, the last kid who missed the test was taken to work in the mines and he died down there. And we learned from this that Fern is a loves to tell these tall tales, big tall tale. Tell her dad arrives and he's pissed. He's like, first of all, I had to leave work, which is crazy. Second of all, you missed the test, and now you're fucked because you have to get a perfect score on the test to even pass. Do you even just.
Speaker 4: Get like how crazy this is what you're be like, you could the best you could hope for is an F what like or maybe like a D minus fifty. I don't know if you're like grading on a scale or what it is, but if if they were using American test standards, that would still be considered a failing grade. And I was like, why, why said the kid up to he can't have a fair shot?
Speaker 2: That's crazy. I don't like it.
Speaker 1: I know this is like extremely I disagree with all of this, and not to mention some of the most famous people that and successful people that we've seen in this universe did not go to school. Unclear, like Luke can he read? I don't actually know.
Speaker 4: It's giving empire like this first of all, yeah, and I don't know if Luke has ever picked up a book and well wait, see he gets the.
Speaker 2: Jedi text later when does.
Speaker 1: He learn once he gets there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, eventually he gets there, but that it might have come after saving the galaxy, which is fair. But I think like this school system is giving empire and like you need to be coded and classified into all of the kids that the jobs they shouted out were boring as hell to They were like I.
Speaker 1: Want to be an analysts, Like, okay, what's going on?
Speaker 2: Kids? So I having to imagination.
Speaker 1: In a big conversation about the test, Wim is trying to tell his dad about this Jedi temple he found, and Fern is very curious about this. It's like, wait a second, say more about that. And Wim realizing now that he may have given up too much information to a stranger regarding something that he wants to explore on his own with Neil and not with some person that he encountered in the hallways like that that wasn't true.
Speaker 2: That was a lie.
Speaker 1: Wim goes to see Neil later, climbs up on the skylight, sees Neil bathing, which is crazy, huge bath to that family, get a huge math, but also like this is a private woman for you. Wim, come down.
Speaker 2: My guy.
Speaker 3: Did you guys have skylights when you're growing up?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Did anyone ever climb up your roof?
Speaker 1: And so Wim gets Neil to help him, of course, investigate the temple. When they arrived there, I guess what. Fern and KB are already there and they're like, we're involved in this, whether you like it or not. They have like a bit of a tussle about whose actual claim in a very charming scene holds authority, in which they're like, no, I claim it, I claim it. Fern wants to like find she needs that power converter. She's hoping one's in there. Probably one is in there. She lies though, and says that this is probably some kind of like cannibal sewer thing absolute queen of tall tales. Eventually they agree to a tenuous alliance to explore this. That night Dad comes home, it's like the garage is open, the house is dark. Whim, where the fuck are you? Where they are is digging into the dirt to like unearth this thing. KB gets it open, because again, KB is the one who knows how to do stuff in this tenuous alliance of four kids. And they go inside. But well, they're about to go inside when Whim's dad shows up. Inside the hatch, they find like a rectroid caught it a booby trap. And this is where I'm like, oh, I get it. This is goonies in space.
Speaker 4: I love it absolutely fu getting them in the design of this bottle is so cool, oh.
Speaker 3: Man with an unlimited supply of little rats to come out of its eye too.
Speaker 1: Throughout the next couple episodes, Oh my god, the kids accidentally trigger the door. Really Wim does, and now they're trapped. KB suggests, like in a video game, follow these wires and we will find the source of power. Meanwhile, Wim is just dropping Jedi facts as they're exploring. KB and Fern are leading the way. Wim is frustrated because Neil is like getting nervous and is like, I just kind of want to go home, Like this is your idea, I'm not into this, and Wim is like what are you talking about? This is like the greatest thing that's ever happened to any of us. This is like the best And he goes off to explore KB. In what will again is part of a theme, KB gets the power back on, they discover their ship elsewhere, Whim is like on the bridge. He is flipping fucking switches and pushing buttons and putting on headsets. I prefer it as like, stop, don't touch anything.
Speaker 2: What are you doing.
Speaker 1: Let's go back to the hatch and leave. Whim sees a fucking blinking light and he presses it because this kid like amped up for adventure, and of course the ship takes off. They peek out of the hatch, they see fucking Whim's dad. He's like waving at them, like what do you Wim nearly falls off, the ship almost dies. The kids pull them back inside and next thing you know, hyperspace is achieved and they are flying away. That is the end of Act one. That is the end of our little talk. Be back with you after a word from our sponsors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and.
Speaker 1: We're back a charming start. No, Joelle Aaron I say like already I'm in.
Speaker 4: Freakingly delightful my huggles were up because Skeleton Crew was such a dope name for a show. And then they're like, but it's a kid's show, I said, not.
Speaker 2: A horror Star Wars.
Speaker 4: I was okay, so I had to adjusted expectations. Luckily they gave me a lot of time to think about it. They were like, but Jude Laws here, he's gonna be giving bad daddy sort of pirate energy.
Speaker 2: That's fun.
Speaker 4: Okay, I really like the opening sequence here, the right number of alien characters all of Star Wars, this number of aliens in my shows, okay, correct. And then when we get to the kids, I really feel I'm not gonna call them out because they're kids, but like most of these kids are doing really, really well. One of them is a little bit behind, uh, struggling to keep up performance wise. I hope they get there by the end.
Speaker 2: But they're that You're like, okay, I'm pretty invested.
Speaker 4: The other thing, j Law gave a quote to star wars dot Com about how much he was excited to do this project because like everyone plays Star Wars as a kid pretty much if you were born mid seventies on for short Jedi or whatever, and so seeing it you know, not through a sort of broad lends for everybody, but very specifically for children that interested him, like as an actor and sort of like leading that group.
Speaker 2: And then two like.
Speaker 4: I you forget what it's like to be a kid. I'm very divorced from my childhood at this point.
Speaker 2: But like the dad, that's a great yeah.
Speaker 4: Like I was like, man, the dad in this is so mean, Like they're not giving any kind of like perspective, the kind of like well, because usually any things that you're like, oh, the parent's busy, I can really read how stressed they are.
Speaker 2: And they're they're giving their best. This dad seems really devoided.
Speaker 4: But if you're a kid, you don't have the nuance to understand why dad won't spend time with you. I really feel like they nailed like this is a child's perspective.
Speaker 1: It's a great, great point. I spent a lot of time thinking and rewatching like scenes from ET the Last Starfighter in like different movies with kids perspectives, just to be like, oh, yeah, this is what it's like kids. From this perspective, kids are going to do adventurous, fun novel things that are exciting that engage their curiosity and if you were in the adult perspective, this is kids doing the dumbest shit yea ever imaginable, flipping random buttons on the stars, like and you have to take yourself out of that, and when you do that, it's wonderful. Like I spend a lot of time thinking about et and like all the absolutely idiotic shit that like Elliott and his crew do over the and Goonies where it's like everybody's dying, like coming very close to death, like every thirty seconds in that movie.
Speaker 3: I love how that all four kids have all four kids have like really well defined characteristics so far, Yes, And you can see your childhood in one or more likely a combination of the two of them. And you have this brainy like sort of emotionless character who's figuring things out and studying things and building things. You have this other character who's really bold and adventurous and like wants to take charge of a situation. You have the other kid who's just like filled with anxiety, like at all times filled with anxiety. And then you have the kid who's like super curious. And I also, like Joelle to your point about like them being kids and seeing the world through their eyes. I loved women and Neil play fighting with lightsabers the first time to really see each other and like, oh, my guts are spilling out. Oh wait, hold on, there's something in my eye. I think I have an eye latch there. Like, what a great little interaction for a Star Wars show.
Speaker 1: It was really really cool. And to your point, Joelle about the performances coming off of the show that was spotty the accolade and in which I felt like some of the weakest parts were the performances of the child of the younger actors, this is a show that does not have that particular problem that I feel like also, and also the characterizations of the writing are pitched to the particular bandwidth of childhood.
Speaker 3: So I mean it's working.
Speaker 1: Episode two, Wim gets the ship out of hyperspace. But now they're just like randomly in the fucking galaxy somewhere right you're the way from wherever funt of her planet.
Speaker 2: They're just literally lost in space. Children. At this point, I was like, oh, yes, where are we? What's going on?
Speaker 1: Is their food on this ship? What's happening? Neil is absolutely freaking out. He wants to go home. Meanwhile, like are we alone on the ship, because now we're hearing crazy fucking beast sounds and a hulking with a missing eye with a rat living in its head comes like lurching out of the darkness. The droid seems very confused about where it is, like when it is and who he is addressing, and he's like, where's my captain? What's going on. Fern, very quick thinking, is like, captain is dead and the droid is absolutely now even more confused. The droid's name is SM thirty three, and Fern, improvising says, guess what, I killed your captain. So, by the laws of space piracy and the transitional nature of authority in space, I am the captain now. And SM thirty three takes a minute to think about it, and it's like, okay, what do you want to do with these other three? Do we want to launch them in the airlock or are we good with them? And Fern is like, teach us how to fly the ship. So there's this big tutorial that includes mentioning a big self destruct button that whim of course wants press. Everybody's like, don't do that, it will blow up the ship.
Speaker 4: I love a flashing light too when I get it. What does this do is my favorite game? Dangerous to play when you're.
Speaker 2: Already lost in space, but I get it.
Speaker 4: I think Nick Frost does such a great job here, Like I think a droid is something that's really difficult to pull off.
Speaker 2: I love K Twoso, who was our.
Speaker 4: Second to last super chatty bot, and I think maybe the greatest robot since like R two and C three po. This is fun though, like getting to play their protector slash, you know, sort of antagonists, sort of co pilot hulky guy to the kids, like, oh gosh, it's really fun, and I think his comedy is gonna lend a lot to this show.
Speaker 1: Fern orders SM to fly them home, but SM is like, okay, where where is that?
Speaker 2: Where are we?
Speaker 1: Where's your planet? Galaxy is absolute too big. They can't even point out what star system they are from. And they mentioned finally what system they're from, and they say it's at At and he has never heard of it. They're fully, fully lost in space, but SM is like, I know of a spaceport that's kind of nearby. So Fern is like, okay, let's go to the spaceport back on at At In security droids are investigating this spot in the woods where the ship has emerged. WiM's dad comes running out. He's like trying to tell them about the starship and the kids back on the ship, Neil goes looking for Wim. Instead, he finds dead bodies.
Speaker 2: Like everywhere.
Speaker 1: There's been some sort of fight here, and Wim loves it. Whim was like, this is cool.
Speaker 3: Is it not the greatest thing that ever happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: He goes. He's like, and by the way, check it out. I found the captain's quarters. They go, they're poking around the captain's courts, super dusty. He finds the captain's hat.
Speaker 2: Wim is like, you have a sleepover in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's let's not go home right away, Like obviously we're gonna go home, but like right now, Neil is, who has a wonderful home life, cannot wait to get back to it.
Speaker 3: Also, Neil complains that it smells bad on the ship, which because.
Speaker 1: There's dead bodies everywhere and he's got the biggest notes.
Speaker 3: Yes, he does so, but he doesn't breathe. He doesn't speak through it, which is very important to know.
Speaker 1: But he's smelling things clearly, like on.
Speaker 3: A different at a higher level.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes.
Speaker 1: They arrive at the starport and immediately it's like this place is distributable, like just on site by looking at the ships. Bad neighborhood. The name of the spaceport is Ort Borgo. SM thirty three confirms this is a dangerous and bad place. I'm going to say on the ship to make repairs, which, by the way, what with what parts? Why don't you just go with the kids. We can start the repairs when you all get back. Anyway, bad idea, But kids are making decisions, so what are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: At the port, Wim immediately gets swindled for like some of his credits, like instantly by the cab driver gets swindled. He is like, okay, smart thing to do. I'm gonna hide the rest of my credits in my shoe. Fern goes to ask directions to like where they should be headed. Curious looks abound. Everybody's like what are children doing here? They pass by like a canteena with uh there's an interesting looking female alien who is working the door. Wim is like, let's go inside. Fern is like, uh no, But when she's distracted everybody goes their separate ways. KB ends up like an a rare animal shop where Fern finds her and she's like, where are these idiot boys? No idea. The woman from the canteena runs up and she's like, hold on, are you children? And Fern is like yes, and she's like you should not be here, and she's like, well, I need directions. We're trying to get home to at Aton and the lady has never heard of it. And we're realizing now that there is something strange about the planet that these kids are from. More on that in a bit. To continue our discussion about the Jedi thing, I think it intersects with the mystery around this planet. Maybe the boys are at a street food cart. The food is just purely like stuff for space rats. It's disgusting, whim pays the shopkeeper. Shopkeeper immediately tries to swindle in because it's clear that this kid has like a load of like original Republic credits. The word immediately gets out there's two little kids on orc Borga and they are loaded with fucking coin. The kids are now running for it. Fern and KB learned that their planet is apparently a legendary treasure spot in pirate lore, like it's a forgotten treasure planet.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's pause here for a moment. I think that this must somehow intersect with the why they know so much about Jedis. I think information must be siloed here and different in a way than it is for the wider galaxy, leading me to believe that these the people who populate this planet are like, not necessarily refugees, but people directly from the Republic, like middle class republic people who had to find a new planet because their planet got blowed up or whatever happened. And they know a lot about Jedi and I know a lot about events during the war and maybe current events as well, and then they populated this planet. That is my guess.
Speaker 3: There's also we didn't talk at all about the barrier, which they reference multiple times. The kids are like, oh no, if we don't get out of the ship, it's going to hit the barrier.
Speaker 1: Right that there is some sort of barrier protecting the planet clearly from scans and maybe even from from visual location.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Wendell when he's talking to the droids is like that the kids flew out past the barrier. And the droids, like no one is allowed past the barrier. So having just you know, thought through fallout, is this maybe some kind of like nuclear shelter planet. Yes, no one knows about. Yeah, Like what is this?
Speaker 2: One hundred percent?
Speaker 4: Aaron I was thinking about, like what we know about planetary structures as they applied to like the culturry ard to the center of the galaxy, the more like inherently involved you were with the republic, right, and then the further out you were, the less technology, more secluded you. They seem to be somewhere in the middle, right, not connected to the larger world so much so that nobody knows they're a planet, but they seem to have all of the same technology, style of dress, like verbiage that everyone that we know in the galaxy has as well.
Speaker 2: Which I was curious because.
Speaker 4: There's really, to me, one of my big criticul of Star Wars as like a whole franchise, there's a homogeny to the look of a lot of things that a galaxy should not have. We're mounting all over the place, we should see a drastic difference in styles, and I'm curious how that loophole closes here.
Speaker 2: I love the idea that they were recently sequestered themselves from the very scary empire and perhaps don't fully know that what's happened in the galaxy.
Speaker 1: Do we think where is this planet? Is it in the unknown regions? Is in the inner galaxy? Do we know where it is?
Speaker 4: I wouldn't even know where to guess it's got It feels like it has to be unknown.
Speaker 3: When they ask SM thirty three too, SM thirty three has no memory of where its last location was, So we don't even have any idea where that that ship might have been before it crashed. Uh, so we have a full on mystery with it, which I think is great.
Speaker 1: This planet's not going to be star killar base, right, like.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I hope not. But again, there's systems of organization. The way they were pushing their kids into very technical jobs. It's giving empires, so it absolutely could be.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, let's continue. So, Uh, there's a lot to There's truly a lot to think of. There's a lot to think about here. So they learned that the their planet is some kind of top secret pirate lore treasure spot. Fern has a gun. She pulls a blaster on these pirates to make them stop, but she immediately gets disarmed because she's a kid and these are hardened, fucking pirates. The outlaws are very interested in ad ad. They want to know if the kids are telling the truth at all. But if four things can go completely left. S thirty three shows up to defend the kidsmately maims and potentially kills several of the pirates, which, honestly, fine, that's good. But then SM gets I'm hoping stun blasts did and the rat in its head falls out and hopefully doesn't die because that would actually make me really sad.
Speaker 2: Brutus.
Speaker 1: The wolfman arrives and the youngsters all get thrown in the brig. No idea. What happens to s M three three in the brig? It's just like arguments they Neil takes the rat from SM's head and is like, hey, through the bars. If you go through the bars and there's the key is hanging like on a on a fucking nail, like an old West jail, can you go out and go get the key? And it doesn't work. The rat just fully runs away. Recriminations fly. The kids are discussing whether at Aton really is a treasure planet? Or what is what does this mean? What is the way people reacting this? Is this true? While they're arguing, they hear a voice from deeper in the dungeon. It's the Captain from episode one, and the Captain's like addresses them and is like, I can get us out of here. He then uses the Force apparently like is this a trick? Is this truly the Force? But it truly does it. I was like waiting for this to be a con, but it does appear to be the Force and gets the key from across the room, and women is like, holy shit, wow a real Jedi end of episode two, you know or the other one? Yeah, Well, is this like a let me ask you?
Speaker 2: Is this a con?
Speaker 1: Is he conning them?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is this entire thing a setup? We've got this mysterious like homing. We've got this like mysterious ship that's on a planet that's hidden takes them to where the pirates are. I don't know the feeling. There's definitely a deeper mystery here to unravel. But what are we thinking about this show thus far?
Speaker 4: I'm in on this show. I really love that they're like reaching back out to kids. I think they've been struggling as a franchise to like get young kids into it. You know a lot of kids seems crazy to me, but they're like those movies from the seventies. They look old and I can't watch it. It hurts my eyes. I don't want to see it. Some of the you know, old young folks in their twenties who were very very young when the preaqules came out, are really dedicated to those. But after that, it's been hard to get kids connecting to the source material. So I hope that this reaches out to them and connects with them. It's really fun. I feel like when I was a kid, I would have really been vibing with the whole bike's elements of this level of freedom and access.
Speaker 2: All that really works Disney they love to be incestuous.
Speaker 4: They got mix Giacchino to do the score for this, and I actually have did a really good job.
Speaker 2: It's so whimsical. I gasped a little when the keys moved.
Speaker 4: It was clearly a practical effect instead of CGI, and I was like, oh, appeals magical, Like it's it's really happening. It weirdly brought up a level of nostalogia in me that I haven't had for Star Wars in a minute.
Speaker 2: It's good, guys, I have fun with it.
Speaker 1: I was feeling that as well. I think that to kind of elaborate on the the eighties, gen X nineties codedness of this show, it's clearly pitched not to appeal to kids, but also to appeal to their parents so they can all watch it together. I think that there's something very notable about the fact that, like we are in this highly advanced sci fi setting, but also kids have no way to contact their parents on the fly, cell phones not existing, Like kids are just on their own, and there's that wonderful kind of agency that that creates the sense of like getting into the imaginative space of the kids themselves, understanding this world through their eyes. I think it's like a breath of fresh air and really wonderful. And to your point about like connecting kids to it, I think that there is like the acolyte like the discussions around any of these Star Wars properties that have happened over the last couple of years, it feels like all of the discourse around them have been dominated and even warped by like old head Star Wars fans who hate everything and this is like specifically pitched away from them, and good great. I think that is awesome.
Speaker 3: I think it's kind of nice too. I after watching the first two episodes, no part of me thinks any of the four main characters are going to use the Force. I don't think any of these kids are going to become pot of One and I like that. I like that all four of these kids seem to be just regular people who will exist and be heroes within this world. And it feels like a lot of the newer stuff we're getting is very very like, Oh, they have to be a Jedi, they have to somehow be using the Force in order to make the story worth telling, and that's not the case clearly, and we're doing that with is Jude Law Jedi? Is he not?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: Who knows? I think as someone who's seen Aladdin, I'm always suspicious of anyone who's been locked in a jail cell but it has the ability to break out but hasn't broken themselves out yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's wonder That's what that feels to me the same. That's the thing that that also piqued my interests it's like, this is something going on here, you were just hanging out for a while here.
Speaker 3: I also, like Joelle, you mentioned in the beginning the opening of episode one with the perfect amount of alien characters, and I thought that that episode, the opening of that episodisode and SM thirty three's scene in episode two, the show's surprisingly action packed and violent. I mean like SM thirty three using his shields on his arms to absorb the blaster fire and then burn someone with the heat collected is great.
Speaker 4: So this is YI, It's right, and Jason pointed it out earlier. There's a very legitimate sense of fear for the children in that. Yeah, And I think there's a very legitimate like everything. It feels like they're actually in this world and it could be bad for them, and you're like, oh my god, and they're escaping just by the hair of their teeth and that's kind of fine. But also I think, yeah, I always felt when I was a kid watching shows four kids like I hated when I was being talked down to when they were like when the world was obviously too safe, but like I had some street no how I could get around. I knew what to do if I was lost, Like there's an element of respect for kids in this and like understanding what's going on and being sheltered from the truth. That's really interesting. I also think they've built up Mistrey You much better than some of our other Star Wars shows. I'm like, really, I'm like, what is going on with these parents? Because the two parents we spend the most time with are so anxious for their children to do well. It seems as if there's something out like whatever is controlling this planet, ruling this planet will do bad things to you if you are not performing and at the top of your class. The months is what there's not enough room for everybody at the top.
Speaker 2: What does that mean? What happens if you're not at the top? Where do you go?
Speaker 4: Is it just regular suburban angs or is it something more sinister? Like it's a really compelling show.
Speaker 1: I completely agree, and the mystery to kind of expand on that. I mean, it feels like Jude Law got thrown in the brig on purpose, right, doesn't it? Like from that opening scene thinking about it, like he clearly gave this pirate group information about a ship that he maybe knew was not true in order to get thrown in here? Could he have engineered this whole thing?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is he trying to get my sense? Is like he's from at Aton somehow.
Speaker 4: Mmm okay, okay, I like that He's It's interesting because they set him up as sort of the the cocky pilot, which was a trope we get a lot throughout Star Wars. Yeah, but also if he is one with the fourth how smart and how much does he know? Is also a thing we get a lot with these guys. Is he the Yoda affect? Is he kooky and crazy? Or is he whise beyond anybody's comprehension. I think both of those elements are sort of at play with this character, which again just sort of it makes you want to tune in again.
Speaker 2: I have to know where the story's going.
Speaker 4: I don't think we've had anything like, certainly not in live action on Star Wars. But I'm struggling even to think of like a novel or comic book that comes close to this sort of style of storytelling. It's I was I was really prepared to be like, oh, Star Wars kids show, but man, they really did get me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, they they did get They did get me as well. I'm I'm super excited to see where this goes. I can't wait. I've like this, I've am very excited by this show. And the sense of nostalgia is intense. It makes you realize, like, how few stories like this there really are right now? I mean, I think this is part of the reason that Stranger Things when it first came out, hits so hard. Yeah, this is pitched in that exact space, and it's just feels great. It feels you know.
Speaker 4: What, it's giving like Craig of the Creek sort of adventure time vibes in that here's a very open world with not a lot of adult interaction, where you're allowed to sort of dream or be as big as you want to be. And that's like that little girl is a captain, like immediately, like.
Speaker 2: All of her energy.
Speaker 4: You pointed out earlier, Jason, that KB and what's the other girl's name? Uh yeah, okay, I have a theory. Okay, so yes, KP's clearly the intelligent one. But if I was going to classify her, i'd give her like a a Jinkies Velma sort of vibe, you know what I mean, Like she's.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, yeah, she's not the she's not the charismatic one for sure.
Speaker 2: Yes she's not Fred, and that's okay.
Speaker 4: I think Fern is more of a Fred Daphne hybrid, and I really appreciate the.
Speaker 2: Vibes of their friendship.
Speaker 4: They're very you know, girls mature faster than boys, and so when you're at the same age, in the same class, especially around the sage, which I would guess is between like nine and eleven, you know, where are these boys and why are they being Let's go like poor poor women's never been outside of his house. He has no idea how to interact with his zero street credit, like no knowledge of how to maneuver through these streets.
Speaker 2: And I really appreciate all the other kids being like this one. We have to keep an eye on.
Speaker 4: He's giving youngest child in the class, and I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Fern is like Louise Joelle like for your Bob's Burg or is fandom like Fern reminds me of Louise and that she she'll she'll manipulate the situation and she knows how to get everyone to do her things for her, which is not a bad like, not in a negative way. But she's number well, that's true. Yeah, so she is also very intelligent and high achieving, even though she's getting pulled over by the school droids all the time for misbehaving and going to the principal's office. I guess.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick fire rapid predictions. What do we think anything anything that's that's peaking your interests. Let's start with you Erin. What do you what are some quick predictions?
Speaker 3: I want to know what what at Adam is? My biggest thing is like, is this some kind of is it a place lost in time? Or are they intentionally being kept away from everything going on in the outside. So that's my biggest thing. Why are they unaware of I mean the kids that when when they fly up into space for the first time, Like, are those planets know they're stars? Like the kids don't even know about space, it seems like. So that's my biggest thing is why are they so clueless around this?
Speaker 1: Joelle?
Speaker 4: I'm really interested to see where this intersects with other Star Wars if it will, Like are we getting especially knowing that Luke is on a path of building the Jedi Academy and knowing that this kid wants to be a Jedi, And clearly we're dealing with some kind of force wielding like I want to see what the intersection of that is, but also need are we on star Killer Base?
Speaker 2: What is it a lost treasure planet? Are we hopping dimensions?
Speaker 4: Like they're so because of how open Star Wars has become in the last like seven years, there's so many directions this could go. I love how small they've started and how little we know. It really like gives your space, your head, a lot of space to imagine. I look forward to the forums. Please send us your fan theories and stuff I think.
Speaker 1: Please please play the shoulder.
Speaker 2: We can dive into it and under things a lot. It's going to be a blast.
Speaker 4: What about you, Jason, what are you looking forward to?
Speaker 1: My big crazy one is that they're on Starcular Base. Although I love that theory, I I I guess that's not true, but it's I but it would be crazy. And then I guess I would predict that Captain Silvo Jude Law does cannot use the force. I think it the the practicalness of the key draw seemed so like uniquely practical that I feel that he is playing some sort of con on them, specifically trying to like mystify them. He can't use the force and this is all some kind of game, part of whatever con scheme that he is playing. That's my guess.
Speaker 3: I also want to know will is Neil ever going to get a chance speak to runa for the first time.
Speaker 2: Dangie, this ship he's gonna get right back. That's gonna be like, you can't believe so much, and now I'm ready to talk.
Speaker 1: I'm built to all of the confidence I need to pirates. Yeah, you absolutely cannot see that and not have a controversition. We love Meal too much.
Speaker 4: Also, if I was a betting person, I'd gamble that we see Honda eventually. We're right, We're yeah, we're in the pocket area for Honda to still be around.
Speaker 2: Please show up. He's my favorite pirate who has the kids.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this wouldn't be a cad Bane. This would be Hondo Like cad Bane's too dark. Honda would be perfect for this.
Speaker 1: I think my final prediction is that all these kids are gonna be fine. Nothing bad is going to happen to them, although they are going to face tremendous danger. But we're all going to fall in love with sm thirty three and he's gonna die.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I have to say goodbye to so many already. I love Kate too, I love the trades.
Speaker 1: Coming up next on episodes of Extra Vision, We're diving back into Dune Prophecy episode one on three, and on Wednesday, our Books and Comics twenty twenty four round up. That's over this episode. Thanks for listening.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Erin, Thank you Joel, thank you, Jason bye x.
Speaker 1: Ray Vision is hosted by Jason Kensepsion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts. Our executive producers are Joelle Smith and Aaron Kaufman. Our supervising producer is a Boo Zafar. Our producers are Carmen Laurent and Mia Taylor. Our theme song is by Brian Basquez. Special thanks to Soul Rubin and Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman and Heidi on Disco Modera