Speaker 1: Also media. Hey everybody, Robert Evans here, and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode, So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, and welcome to the podcast. It's just me James today and I'm joined by Jamie who is a librarian, and we are here to discuss the pending federal cuts on library funding and I guess years of attacks on library funding. So welcome to the show. Jamie, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is really great for me because I have been trying to find librarian for a very long time to talk to us on the podcast. I understand that lots of people have been like really concerned that we cover this, but also very afraid for their jobs, which is a rough position to be in, So thank you for coming on. I thought we'd start with like there was an executive order on the fourteenth of March I think it was called something like further something the federal bureaucracy, cutting, slashing, diminishing, whatever, you know, I don't really care. One of the outcomes of this was I believe the Trump administration moving towards a complete closure of IMLS. Is that right?
Speaker 3: So it depends upon how much joj and Trump and company are going to listen to Congress, because Congress has already funded IMLS, just the Institute of Museum and Library Services for this year, so that money already exists, it's already been allocated, and so in theory, they should be good for at least a year, and then next year when the budget comes up again, it should be up to Congress because Congress created this institution and Congress funds it. But the Executive Order and the commentary on it does say that they would like to dissolve it kind of as soon as possible, definitely next year. So it's really up in the air about how fast things would move, what exactly would happen, if it would be this year, if it'd be next year, whether anyone's going to listen to Congress.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we will find out, I guess. So can you explain for listeners who aren't familiar what IMLS is and what it does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's, as I said, the Institute of Museum and Library Services, And so basically they are allocated money by Congress every year and then they hand it out to states, especially them, who kind of break it down into other grants. They give grants to states and libraries and institutions for things that museums and libraries do. So that includes things like on the museum side, maybe you know, putting together programming or doing big digitization projects. I used to work at an institution where we had a grant that did a lot of digitization of historic documents. And on the library side, they do all sorts of stuff, especially for public libraries. They end up funding things like summer reading programs, equipment, especially for Internet access, you know, all this stuff related to job training and those services that libraries offer. And interlibrary loan is a big one, so that people can access materials of their library doesn't hold, but it's held by other libraries. And rural libraries and tribal libraries especially really really benefit from this. Every single state and territory in the country gets these funds.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, I was, I was wondering why who fund it interlibrary loans so that they're the ones who facilitate like the trandsporting of the books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know, depending on how your library, some libraries will fund it from their operations budget. But if okay, you know, especially for small rural public libraries where that might be very expensive, that is one thing that these grants go to is interlibrary loan.
Speaker 2: Okay. Yeah, So there are lots of very important services. And what would it mean if we didn't have that IMLS budget at all? Like, what would it mean especially for like, like you said, those kind of libraries that are financially I guess more marginalized in tribal libraries and rural areas and stuff.
Speaker 3: So I first want to mention that the entire budget of IMLS for twenty twenty four was something like two hundred and sixty six million dollars. We're not talking about huge sums of money in terms of the federal government. It comes out to about seventy five percent per person in the country. So yeah, we're not going to be saving on our taxes if this goes away, but that money makes a really big difference. So even smaller states that you know, maybe have a million people in it, might see a couple million dollars of these grants per year. And so what that would mean is that the things that maybe not all of them, but most of the thing that these grants cover would not be there. So that means that there wouldn't be summer reading in some places. That means that they wouldn't be able to buy the hot spots that they lend out to people who don't have internet at home. That means that maybe there wouldn't be the class that teaches your grandma how to not get caught in a fishing scam. So all sorts of things, those things just wouldn't be there because there's probably not, especially in red states, other funds that are going to come to cover that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I think I was looking online and that by Judy something, it's something like zero point zero zero three percent of the federal budget is going to It's trivial.
Speaker 3: It's so small, right, Yeah, you could like take the I don't know, the gold toilets away from the Navy and cover it in yeah, right, Like it's so small, yeah, yeah, and yet it has this enormous outsized impact. You know, the statistics say that every dollar spent on imls returns two dollars to the economy. So it's actually, if you're going to measure it that way, highly beneficial, especially to these more marginalized areas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe we should talk about that because I think if people like maybe they just don't happen to go to the library, maybe they don't you know, realize they have services they need, or maybe they don't live in the US. The library is not just a place where you can go and borrow the books, right, Can you explain some of the services that libraries provide, like you mentioned some, but they really help people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, in for better or for worse, public libraries in the United States have become the social safety net of last resort because they already exist almost everywhere and it's so hard to get you know, not right now, but even in the past couple decades, other social programs started in many parts of the US that things kind of just get lumped into the libraries. So now you get your tax forms there, maybe they have a social worker on staff. It's the place that homeless folks can sit when it's snowing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so that kind of is like a little bit.
Speaker 3: Of side from what we're talking about right here, but I really do want to point out that public libraries have become the social safety net in many many places, so that aside, you know, offerings of aside from books and other media including ebooks, audiobooks, movies, and lots of formats, magazines, newspapers, there are tons of classes about all sorts of things, especially technology claus It's a place that a lot of people it's their only reliable Internet access. So you know, in twenty twenty five, you can't do mostly anything without the internet. You can't get a job without the internet, you can't maybe pay your bills without the internet. So that's a reliable place that people who don't have internet for various reasons. Maybe they live so far out in the country that just doesn't go there unless you have satellite right even now, or maybe you can't afford it or whatever, or there's one computer in your house and there's six kids and someone has to do their homework, so what everyone else is going to do, so then the computers themselves. And then also the other thing that I am less also does is those grants will sometimes purchase research databases. So if people kids, especially are trying to do their homework. Again, like children's and teens programming is another thing between homework help, social things clubs. So in a lot of places where there's not much going on, it's one of the places where young people can go in the afternoon or on the weekend and not be getting in trouble, either because they're making trouble or the adults think they are. Because there's somewhere productive to be. There's somewhere that's inside supervised or something to do. And so that's the kind of stuff we talk about in normal times when we're trying to fight for like weekend service or later hours. But if we're looking at it in the lens of IMLS, the building might be open, maybe because maybe they have the foundational operationals. But but then there won't be these programs, there won't be these resources. There will just be a bunch of books on the shelves.
Speaker 2: Yeah, It's like, I don't know, I'm amazed how many of my friends and neighbors don't understand how much celebrity does. Like I'm forever Like San Diego A, housing prices are ridiculous and no one seems to want them to not be ridiculous with lots of us do, but we don't get to choose it. And so like we have a larger house population, and I'm always like helping my in house neighbors go to the library and give them a ride or whatever so they can yet, like you say, access internet services life for benefits.
Speaker 3: Yeah, or just like sit and read the paper and know what's going on in the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like not get harassed by the cops just for existing, which is the rest of their existence here. Certainly. Yeah, these are massively important. I think most people like have it no one because there's not really a big like fuck the library's movement, you know, like I think people I mean, yeah, I guess, yeah, I guess that's the whole Like people should only read stories if they conformed and whatnot. Yeah, well fuck those people absolutely. Yeah. Talking of fuck those people, we unfortunately have to pivot to ads, so you know, here is some unfortunate advertisements. All right, we're back talking to people I dislike. Actually, San Diego mayor Todd Gloria, who was elected in twenty twenty and re elected shamefully this year, which is very disappointing. One of his first actions was to propose a budget which increased the bunding to the police, surprise, and decrease the funding to the libraries. It would lead to them closing for an extra day. Right, and this is our quote unquote progressive mayor, who you know has been anything but but this isn't a particularly uncommon scenario, right. I've spoken since then to librarians around the country who, for the last at least half decade have faced funding cuts. Can you explain, like, why doesn't the state see value in these services? I mean, I don't wanted to speak for you know, the Democrats defunding the libraries to give the cops more money, but can you explain, like why there has been this ongoing assault on library budgets.
Speaker 3: So you know, you're talking about the last decade and a half decade. I think we can really trace it back much farther, at least thirty years to the Clinton administration. Actually, okay, I want to talk about the Democrats, but even you know, the roots farther back than that, because we have a neo liberal problem. Right, So it's basically the idea that all activities should generate obvious immediate monetary profit, that everything should be run by a business, that everything should be subject to the market, quote unquote, And so that's where we are with libraries. Is that even though I can sit here and say every dollar that the IMLS spends generates two dollars of economic activity, then that somehow isn't even good enough because when the powers that be look at libraries, they just see money being flushed down the toilet and that's the only way they can measure anything. So if you look at it and you're just saying, well, this is a place we spend money. This doesn't create money, This doesn't make more money happen. The idea that everything should be run by a business and everything is it should be subject to market logics, that that would say, well, if we're going to subject everything to market logics, libraries have no value because we're only measuring it. And can this make the balance sheet? Can this make number go up?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And even though libraries do make number go up, it's not obvious. You can't make it obvious. There's no direct line between what libraries do and number go up, even though there are actually is for example with IMLS. So you know, starting during the Clinton administration, when the federal government changed, and how the federal government work changed very much under the guise of increasing service quality, but what they actually did was lay off a quarter million workers and you know, turn everything into contract work instead of regular labor. And that I think filtered down from the federal level into states and municipalities, so that those levels of government too also started to look at how they ran their government things. And in many places public libraries are arms of local government. That those two should also be run like a business and be subject to market logics, and therefore number does not go up. We don't value this, and that's basically it is that you know. There, it's hard now that we've had thirty years of overt neoliberalism in our government system and a couple decades more of less obvious versions of it to make government, which is now being run like a business, even in the best of times, value things that aren't that aren't valued strictly monetarily, right, So there's no cultural value. And even if the monetary value isn't extremely obvious, if somehow doesn't.
Speaker 2: Count, yeah, yeah, I guess it. Kind of. I used to lecture it, so do lecture a university actually starting again next month, but like we pivoted towards like everything has to be stem in education Germany because.
Speaker 3: So that'll make money or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know why, because like Bill Gates make the line go up, and yeah, we lost so much that has not just intangible value you say, but actual tangible value, very very obvious value. But nonetheless, like like you say, it's not easy to purn on a graph, so it disappears.
Speaker 3: Right, and then you know, even though cops also don't make money, yeah, in a direct sense, somehow we can still fund that. So it really shows that like in the case of where you are, but the carcel solution is now the solution we have. Yeah, and when we sit here as abolitionists and we say, well, let's get rid of all that stuff, and people say, well, what are you going to do instead, our answer is often it would be so different that it wouldn't be necessary, so we'd have prevention of the entire situation. And that's one of the things that libraries offer is prevention of the entire situation, making vaslavs of the carcial state unnecessary. So there's a conscious choice there, especially when money is being taken out of the balance sheets of a city government from the libraries and put into the cops of this carcural choice of saying, we'd rather everyone in life is shit, so we can throw them in jail. Then everyone have a nice life and no one would have to go to jail.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then they can come read a book instead, and yeah, it would be nice. It reminds me of one of the big projects of the anarchists in Spain in the nineteen thirties was to create popular education centers, which included libraries, right, And they funded these entirely. They were not funded by the state. The state was not interested in making libraries in nineteen twenties ninety thirties in Spain, and they funded them from popular subscription and from people union dues, and they built these atta nails which are now really beautiful places. So one of the places I did my PhD in Barcelona, and like, I wonder if there is I guess it's it's very hard for us to conceive of like a library without the state in the United States, right, And it like rich people putting little libraries in in their middle class neighborhoods is not the same thing, right, As much as they'd like to think it is like your little phone box library. It is not replacing these services. So like, is there a model for like recreating this in a way that isn't reliant on the state, which seems increasingly hostile to it.
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple models, and it depends upon how far down the revelution you go. So the example you gave of Spain, we have contemporary with that and slightly more recent versions of that in the US. So the Workmen's Circle, now the workers circle, they funded really wonderful culture programs, including libraries. Unions often had libraries, especially back when they used to have more buildings, like my union. I'm part of my union, and aside from just like being where I work, we don't necessarily have a building per se. Yeah, So those things have always existed, especially in the workmen circle in ethnic communities who were trying to preserve a culture. And that's something that fit into twentieth century capitalism. And so if we go farther than the Revolution, I read a really great pamphlet recently from the seventies, actually that was from the UK, and it kind of discussed libraries. You know, if we make it through the revolution a little bit as being operated as under a syndicalist model where workers and patrons is what we call them now, that wouldn't be quite that split. Then would be able to govern and run these libraries. And there was a really great diagram. So there's definitely been ideas for a long time about what this could look like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess in the collective's economy of revolutionary Barcelona, library still existed at the nails existed, and I'm sure it was a long a syndicalist model because everything was so Yeah, I think that's like a good thing for people to look towards. I want to stop and take one more break, and then I want to talk about what people can do to protect libraries. All right, we are back so currently, Like I mean, this is like a funding cliff for the library system, right, I suppose it's hard to say, but like, how long would it take before people stop seeing these services if DOGE was to start doging tomorrow?
Speaker 3: I honestly can't tell, you know, I think that people it really doesn't. It's hard to say now, right because we do have the funding there. It just will it actually happen? Will the thing happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That has already been allocated. I think we have a little bit of time, but I would expect if that congressional isn't expressed that, especially when summer reading rolls around, will really start to see it, because that's something that a lot of people depend on to keep their kids occupied during the summer. Yeah, and especially out you know, in red states and rural areas. It's going to be very much like the I never thought the leopards were going to eat my face.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, kind of situation, which is sad, like because it's someone's kid who doesn't get to go to the library very.
Speaker 4: Often, right right, right.
Speaker 3: That sucks, you know, because it's going to be a lot of a lot of kids, especially without those resources.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think about like how like I wouldn't have survived my undergraduate without libraries book only grad school books are super expensive, especially academic books, and like I relied very heavily on intolibrary loan.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And this is you know, at the university level, to be sure, where books are very expensive. Yeah, but at the public and school library level, you know, this is exactly why this is happening, is because there is this ongoing narrative from the last few decades where where people, especially like queer kids, say that the library saves their lives. Yeah, young people of color saying like this is the only place I could see myself in culture by reading these books. So of course, of course this is happening because that you know, they want to take that away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's a place where people can kind of exist yeah without that. Yeah, So let's talk about, like, how can people engage to protect their libraries. What can they do?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: I like some action items they can take.
Speaker 3: I unfortunately don't have great news. I don't think, you know, because of the way this is working, and it is so much about just like raw brute power that no one at the federal government or even state governments for the most part, seems to be able to counter. It's just like not something they can conceive of, Yeah, because they already are doing things that supposedly shouldn't be allowed. Right, We've already had the congressional funding. This should have a congressional you know, this is passed by Congress, and yet an executive order and Elon Muskin undo it.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: If things were working, this wouldn't be happening, right, So we are really kind of down down the line a little bit in what we can do and how effective it's going to be. That said, there are things we can do. A lot of them are the things that liberals usually do, which is like calling your senator over and over and over again every day, and your representatives and your state or state government too, to make sure that your state government is paying attention to what they're going to lose. There are certainly, you know, things one can sign on to for major library organizations. The ALA has been writing a lot, and less formal organizations than that. I think one thing that we can always be doing, not just in the situation, but if you want to be supporting libraries, one of the best thing and easiest things you can do is go get a library card if you don't already have one, and use your damn library. There's probably something there that you want and that actually really does help. Because libraries, whether it's with something like IMLS or whether it's grants from foundations and or local funders, you know, their local government are better able to make their argument for why they should be given money if they have good statistics to say we had ten percent more readers this year. You know the number of books we loan this year is higher than it's ever been. People are coming to our events and droves that kind of you know, success breeds success. If they can show that to potential funders, they're more likely to get money. So don't about the read the book. Just check the book out, keep it for we can give it back, you know, on time. Make those numbers go up.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you can even like, let's say you're not inclined to go to the library for whatever reason and you don't like going out, or worried about COVID or something like, you can do most of this online, right, Like, if you have Libby, you can certainly you can borrow books.
Speaker 3: You can borrow ebooks and audiobooks from Libby. Some libraries have streaming movies. A lot of libraries have still either all online or hybrid events that you can watch rather than having to go to the event at the library. You know, the one thing about about some of those streaming services and Libby that I will caution about is that you're data is less secure. If that's something you're concerned about, then it would be borrowing paper books. It's good to be because most libraries, even in the kind of tech dystopian future we live in, do a decent job, or at least try to be good about your borrowing data when you borrow hard copies. But because things like Libby and the streaming services are third party integrations, those collect some amount of use data. So it's absolutely great to use those. But I would caution that if if you are a person who has a very high front model and you want to be careful about your data, go for the paper.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, yeah, it's kind nicer, nicer experience to read a paper book as well. It is what about like if people I know lots of people who are librarians listen see email me like is their way that they can organize? Who is the way the people are organizing, either to prevent this or like as a way of harm reduction, right, like, as a way of reducing the damage to the state can do to people's access to Yeah.
Speaker 3: So there are a few more radical organizations that I think are worth paying attention to. My favorite is Library Freedom Project. They're really wonderful and more willing to say the thing without bullshit, Yeah, the thing that you know. I would obviously urge every worker to do this, but if you're if your workplace is not unionized, start working on that. Yeah, that will always give you more power, So you should you should start trying to organize your workplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, hopefully hopey there's still time for people to do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who knows where that's going to go, but you can at least try.
Speaker 2: It's still legal now, yeah, right when it starts, and like, regardless of what happens, Like, we're stronger in this together than we are a part. And the unions have done a lot to prevent fascism in the past.
Speaker 3: And similarly, there are depending upon what state you live in, there might be a state library organization that is active and that would be just a good way to make connections with other libraries near you and their librarians. And you know, maybe if you do lose some of your funding, you can put your heads together and you know, use each other's resources and have joint programming and things like that.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Are people like attempting so some of the stuff i mls have is like online archives. Are people attempting to somehow to download that in order to preserve it in the event that it goes away?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 4: That that's really is that not what's a threat?
Speaker 3: That's not really what we Yeah, I think that there are other kind of data rescue projects with the federal government that have better data than that. IMLS doesn't get that much data, So I wouldn't be too concerned with.
Speaker 2: That, Okay, So it's more like along the workplace organizing side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's definitely like trying to figure out to make how to make your and the libraries around you keep going and offering the things to your communities that they've been offering.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, it would be pretty tragic, Like there's a library not so far from my house, Like I can rent my bike do it. I get it all the time, and it would be be really tragic to be without that. Yeah, So yeah, please continue to organize your libraries. Is there anything else that you'd like to plug or suggest people?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 2: It's a pretty bleak time generally, and I think a lot of us take refuge, especially in reading. Actually think it's a way you can escape terrible things. Is there anything else you'd like to kind of suggest for people as we dive deeper into fascism every day at the moment.
Speaker 3: I think in libraries and elsewhere where. It's just being able to offer a counter narrative, like not buying into the idea that the library is a money hole. You know, it can only be valued monetarily. So when you hear that, maybe start going to your library's board meetings and when you hear those kinds of things said, get online for the comments and offer a different narrative. And you can do that all over your life in different in different ways. When you hear that narrative that is monetary and neoliberal and harmful, offer a different one. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think it's like, it's so sad to think that we should have to quantify the value of everything monetarity, but especially something like a library, like so many people have had such positive engagements with them which have nothing to do with the with the cash next. The's sort of like generating revenue and that's what makes them valuable and what makes them special sometimes. So yeah, hopefully people, hopefully people can advocate for that. How would you find your library board meeting if you wanted to look?
Speaker 3: If you you're a library, if you have a public library near you, they should have a website and the website should have an events page that includes board meetings. Hopefully other information about your library's board as well, and if you can't find it, maybe call it the library and ask. I'll probably just tell you they're really good at information there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that is the thing that they do. All right, Well, thank you so much for joining us, Jamie. That was that was great. It was really really helpful.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 5: Hey and welcome. Take it happen here. Today we'll continue our journey through Latin American anarchism where we last left off with a look at the anarchist history of Uruguay. We talked about Uruguay's general history, it's radical influences anarchism, this period of popularity in the early twentieth century, it's radical experiments and it's cultural influence. So today James and I, because James is here, Hello, James.
Speaker 4: Hi Andrew.
Speaker 5: Today we're going to look at what Iuruguaian anarchists have been up to from the fifties onward, paying special attentions the activity of the Ferracion Anarchista Uruguaya and the idea of especifismo. By the way, as James is indicated, I am Andrew Andrew Saige. You can find me on YouTube as Andrewism. But all that aside, let's get into it. The Feracion Anarchista Irguaya or FAU, was founded in Montevideo, Uruguay, in nineteen fifty six. According to Paul Sharki in the Feracion and Aquista Iraguaia, the FAU had very strong work in class roots, as many of the militans came from labor heavy districts like Zero, which definitely shaped their outlook. The FAU was also very much emphasized in direct action over electoral strategies. It favored armed struggle as a necessity in reaction to save repression and economic exploitation, and the FAU had a very strong stance against Marxist Leninism. Although some members sympathized with aspects of Marxism, many of them resisted to bureaucratic and authoritarian tendencies that influenced that miliu. Unlike in many other Latin American countries, as you may have recalled us covering in the past, anarchism persisted in mainstream relevance even after the rise of the Bolsheviks and the influence globally, and of course the coincide and fall of the anarchists in Spain. According to all of us Zenkos sixty five years of revolution, the FAU came about in a time when u requires prosperity coming out of World War two had come to an end, as its agricultural exports were no longer needed to feed the alli's massive standing armies. This economic downturn triggered major social unrest, which the anarchist presence was able to spring upon. One such instance of unrest involved one hundred and fifty thousand workers going on strike in Salidarity with their fellow workers in a tire factory. During the strike and after, the FAU involved students, unionists, intellectuals, community organizers, and even a few exiles from the Spanish Civil War to build up a more united labor movement. So rather than having unions split along political ideological affiliations like moderates, socialists, anarchists, right populists and so on, there'll be one big tent just focused on labor. Now, I personally think a big tent has its benefits and its drawbacks, as with any other strategy. I think the benefit is obviously that it has the ability to mobilize a large number of people. But I think the difficulty in the drawback is that having so many affiliations under that big tent can mean it there's not really much of a shared goal left behind, Like, yeah, the anarchists want anarchy, the right populists might just want to secure some benefits and protections, and the socialists will be interested in launching a party. Sure they all proclaim to have some interest on the side of the workers or how that manifests looks different from group to group. But we'll see how that big tent approach turned out for the FAU. So they formed the National Confederation of Workers or CNT as that big tent in nineteen sixty four, but even before that there was a split, not too much of a surprise. After the Cuban Revolution, the FAU is actually divided between those who were opposed to Castro and those who critically supported the revolution. Those who were opposed to Castro eventually broke away from the FAU in nineteen sixty three as Castro entrenched himself in the Soviet Bloc, while those who remained in the FAU were critical of Castro and his government but still supported the fall of Batista. Of course, with the Cuban Revolution, came that very noticeable shift in American foreign policy. They saw that with all that happening right in their backyard, they need to take a very different approach if they wanted to win the Cold War. Such a Zignco actually describes how in nineteen sixty one JFK changed the approach of the now infamous School of the Americas from preparing for Soviet invasion to prepare in for anti communist counterinsurgency against homegrown revolutions. So as a result, militaries across Latin America became more right wing and seized power for themselves to protect civilians from the danger of their rights. In nineteen sixty four, it was Brazil, in nineteen sixty eight, it was Peru, in nineteen seventy three was Chile, and Uruguay fell, and in nineteen seventy six Argentina fell. So Zenko noted in jest, over a decade, Uruguayan and anarchists would becomes surrounded by right wing dictatorships which collaborated to round up and extillminate left wing dissidents of all flavors. Not to mention, the economic situation wasn't exactly getting better. According to Paul Sharky. Between nineteen fifty five and nineteen fifty nine, the cost of living doubled and wages did not keep pace. By nineteen sixty five, inflation was running one hundred percent ABU nineteen sixty seven at one hundred and forty percent madness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well just wait and see, Andrew, Oh yea, yeah, we are living in some interesting times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you never know.
Speaker 5: So the president that preceded the military dictator imposed a wage freeze and devalue the currency. That was his bright idea, his solution to the crisis. So people's lives were obviously getting worse and the time had come for some decisive action. So the CNT aided in strikes across sectors and even tried to call for a general strike as the encle rights. The FAU decided that they were going to take on a strategy of urban guerrilla warfare, so they tapped into a coalition of leftist groups to robin hood food from the corporations to be able to the poor. Awesome, have just hit it, Yeah, But sadly the coalition couldn't last very long. Differences in strategy would lead to the FAU doing its thing by building defense councils similar to those organized in the Spanish Civil War.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Interesting, while the other groups copied a Sheikwavara style gorilla army approach, forming the National Liberation Movement to Permeros or the MLNT.
Speaker 2: The existential debate among anarchists in arms is this that you've just like highlighted, right, it's need we form authoritarian structures similar to those using, for example, the Cuban Revolution, the Russian Revolution, these kind of statist revolutions which characterize the left in the twentieth century in some ways. Or is it possible for us to go from our community defense and the defense committees like the six person groups that the CNT organized in Spain to a more egalitarian large formation, like a like a truly revolutionary army. And like the split that you're talking about is the split that almost every movement had.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Although the mlent T was necessarily anarchists.
Speaker 2: Right, they were like following the Castro model, Is that right? Like the Shagha Vara kind of guerrilla warfare.
Speaker 5: Doctrine, pretty much the Gervara sort of model.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Although I'm glad that you bring up this point because it's actually something that I was writing about earlier today in preparation for a video.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 5: I think there's a conflation that anarchists need to be careful with between leadership in the sense of authority, as in the right to command and control and that kind of thing, versus leadership in the sense of guidance, advice, coordination, expertise.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think that just as that you might have even you might have an anarchist construction collective, right and they're building a house, you might have something like foreman who is coordinating all the actions and all the different builders and all the different treatsment of engaging in to ensure that the different parts of the house come together cohesively and seamlessly, that nobody is like stepping on anybody's tools, that everything is being done in a proper timement. That is an instance where there will be coordination without necessarily having authority. It's just really a division of labor to ensure that the task that everybody is there to accomplish can be accomplished. And the person who is given that particular task within that division of labor is doing so by taking all that responsibility. But just as they have the responsibility, others will also have the responsibilities and that does not elevate them above the other people in that association, right, yeah, and so kind of in the same way that you have that in a construction site. I think that that is the kind of approach we need to take in a military formation, where the person who is you know, respected for their knowledge of military strategy or has the information or the expertise to be able to handle the planning of that approach. Because we're all here to win, right, We're all here to defend our freedom and to defend the freedom of the people we love. So there's no sense in splitting off into a bunch of different groups and failing out our task when we can come together where necessary to engage in the coordination of our strategy to improve the chances of our success. You know. And of course there is a vulnerability in times of warfare that we do have the knowledge because warfare historically is one of the times that is the most ripe for authoritarian and seizure and control. But because that vulnerability exists in those times is when I think we have to be extra vigilant of how that could potentially manifest. You know, we don't sacrifice our course and defense of the course, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Definitely, because it's easy to do that. It's easy to be persuaded that this situation is unique and different, and therefore we need to accept some kind of compromise of the very essence of what we're doing, the method that like the people I have spoken to, both those within formations today in Rajava and West in Java, but also in the Emma and those for instance in the Iron Column, which was a FI column in the spanishivil War. They're probably the most famous for leaving the front line to attack the cops because they felt they didn't have enough weapons and that the cops had too many. And what they did was that they created a concept of the minimum necessary discipline, discipline being something that one has for oneself, not the hunting that comes from above. And they had leaders who would lead in times of combat right when we needed to make swift and decisive action. There wasn't time to obtain consensus. They used consensus to arrive at those leaders. Those leaders were able in times of urgency to make urgent decisions, but that didn't confer to power or status outside of that moment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it's just like in an emergency scenario, you know, somebody is, you know, leading a surgery, for example, or leading a rescue operation. That doesn't mean that they're elevated above everybody else. That just means that they have the knowledge and the skills to accomplish that particular task, and the others of their own free will respect that knowledge enough to go out with what the person is recommending exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that, yeah, that doesn't mean that that person is inherently capable of bossing you around, exactly.
Speaker 5: And I like the mention of discipline in particular because that really is a distinction, because he will talk about, oh, you need to have military discipline, how you school stab military discipline without blind obedience to authority, I'm sure we're not going to have we're ever going to have discipline to the extent that soldiers are dehumanized and treated like canon fodder as you would find in a traditional authoritaria and military. But the discipline is derived from solidarity, is derived from the responsibility people have for each other, the capable have for each other within their formulation, and the responsible do they have for their own actions as being part of that formation, and for how their actions will affect those around them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, And I think that's something like you say it again and again when you read the column, the Derouty column newspaper, right, they talk about discipline and how we have to have a discipline comes from our commitment to our cause and to each other, not from any fear of repercussions or like quote unquote disciplinary action, but from like the fact that we we don't want to let our comrades down, or do we want to let our course down, and like when people do do that. Right, there are It doesn't mean there aren't disciplinary actions, but it means that those are like like you said before, you don't break away from the core of what you're doing. So they agree by consensus to include with the person who has done the thing that is considered to be wrong, what a suitable punishment would be or a suitable set of repercussions would be. So then it reinforces the idea of like consensus and like discipline coming from oneself rather than from fear of punishment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think there is, of course the potential for processes to potentially become How do I want to put this? What I will say is I think it's necessary. But even in engaging with those who have you broken trust or who have seemingly split from the association or have jeopardized the safety and security of the association, that you find we us to deal with those situations on a case by keyse basis. You know that you're responsive to the particular circumstances that cause that action that particular outcome, rather than as you would find in modernil ries where you have like a very clear this action has this consequence, this action has this concert this action like a lot more flexibility is required because we understand that we don't have this matrix of crime that authorities do. You know, we're dealing with calm. They deal with crime, right, and so in dealing with harm, we have to approach each of those situations in the context of their situations rather than in some sort of cold like distant calculation, you know. And I think in approaching it in that way, people are more willing I think, to fess up or to take accountability for their harm because they know that there's that relationship there that you're going to try to work through it. That well, there may be many potential consequences to their actions there's an openness to dialogue there rather than a rigidity of this is what you did, so this is the outcome automatically.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that is the latter is like a system that looks not at people but quote unquote crimes, right, and like this is the opposite of a restorative justice system, which looks at people in the situation they are in and not just the worst thing that they happen to have done.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 2: We should return to South America and really once again diverted.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, although I feel like these digressions always get to something essential and brings out something extra to what I would have, you know, prepared in advance. So we had this split, right, we had the FAU and then you had the m L and T. And they did collaborate where there was a common cause, but it wasn't a permanent collaboration, you know. And while this was taking place in the urban guerrilla warfare sphere, you had different things taking place in the labor movement. The FAU was dealing with the consequences of big tent to organize in as they found that the Uruguayan Communist Party or PCU had pretty successfully claimed significant influence in the cnt SO. In response, according to Suzenko, the FAU created a rank and file alliance called the Combative Tendency, which pushed for more militancy and less bureaucracy in the union movement. Through that alliance, the FAU was able to accomplish a lot more outreach and action, but in return, the President of Uruguay introduced emergency laws executed by the military to counter the unrest. The revolutionary Left continued to fight against military's involvement in civilian life and also formed a daily people called Ipoca. When the government was like, stop, don't do that, that's illegal. And when the government says stopped on that, that's illegal, that means they put boots on the ground, and you know, raided their offices, and so the people fell apart and the groups involved went under around and like I said, the military raided their bases. But then when the FAU was like, let's get the band back together, unfortunately, the other groups were too scared to resurface, understandably, and so because of that fear, the PCU kind of had a fall from Greece. You know, for a while they were big boys on campus and the cnt but after the FAU kind of came to the forefront again in called its bravery and stuff. They kind of end up falling back. And you see, the PCU had chosen to appease the military because they believed that a leftist faction within the rounds the army might support their bid for power, kind of like what happened in the Russian Revolution. And so, you know, they really thought they were cooking something. But as it saying goes, the store was not even on.
Speaker 2: I haven't heard that one in this game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the military saw them as pretty much insignificant, so much so that while other leftist groups were facing severe oppression, the PCU was actually pretty much left alone. And so when the union rank and files saw that and tilling their backs on the PCU, they ended up turning their focus toward the combative tendency because at least they were doing radical and serious stuff. And so the unions were under attack from all sides, the police, the military, and even neo fascist gangs, and the FAU led combatitive tendancy was focused on defending these workers' movements from those threats. According to the Zenko, the FAU held a secret congress and formed their own armed wing the OPR thirty three, which unlike other gorilla groups in the region, wasn't a top down organization. Instead, individual cells had the freedom to decide how they carry out missions and which actions it took part in the affair. You still set the overall strategy, but it wasn't about becoming some kind of vanguard. And some of the actions, by the way, according to Sharki, included bank robberies and factory owner kidnappings.
Speaker 2: It's like old school Spanish anarchism.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well there were some old school Spanish anarchists within their ranks. Yeah, so he really can't be surprised.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I drew. There's this wonderful line in able Pass's book about de Ruti that de Ruti was very fond of children, so he risked his life robbing banks to fund their education.
Speaker 5: Oh that's beautiful.
Speaker 4: It's such a wonderful Like, yeah, it's beautiful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know, I just enjoy it very much the whole Like you never know what direction that sentence is going to go in.
Speaker 5: That is a quintessential example of that, Yeah, I think. Yeah, so you know, you do what you have to do pretty much.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, And like I think it's really like he wasn't maximalist for the sake of maximalism. He was maximalist for the sake of like educating children. Yeah, yeah, it wasn't. He didn't see the violence as and ended.
Speaker 5: Itself exactly exactly. It had a cause and reasoning behind it. Yeah, And the FAU was the same way. Or their reasoning was just that if the capitalist class was going to use force to protect their interests, then the workers should be able to use force to defend theirs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fannel and stuff, And so.
Speaker 5: They did what they had to do. Meanwhile, the PCU was stuck to their policy of appeasement, which actually had a detrimental effect in the broader movement. As a military kept growing in strength, and so the very anti communist military's involvement in breaking up all the work activities emboldened their role in politics. And then, once they defeated the m l n T, with the FAU struggling to resist isolated by the PCU's in action, the military to on the opportunity to coop the government, leading to the rise of Juan Maria Porteraberi, the first president of the Civic military dictatorship in ninety seventy three. In the aftermath, the FAU made the tough call to move the operations to Argentina, which hadn't yet fallen to military distatorship. From there, they worked within the CNT to organize a massive fifteen day general strike. It shut the country down for a time, but it wasn't enough, and the efforts to keep up the fight were constantly undermined by the PCU, which still insisted on negotiating instead of taking real action. Meanwhile, the people were suffering. According to Sharky, between nineteen seventy one and nineteen seventy six there was a thirty five percent fall in real wages, and by nineteen seventy nine inflation was running at eighty percent, with wages limping behind at forty five percent. So until nineteen seventy six, the FAU continued to work between Argentina and Uruguay, but after Argentina's coup that was it. The coach Enko directly. During the US's operation, Condo dictatorships across Latin America continued coordinated to kidnap, torture, and murder leftists across the continent. Between sixty eight thousand and eighty thousand leftists were killed and more than four hundred thousand were placed in political prisons end courde Jesus, And I think we need to sit with those numbers, because it's very easy to hear numbers like that and just think, you know, that's just a statistic. Pretty much we hear big numbers of mine, kind of goes statistic. Yeah, but to like think about the impact that would have for tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of people to be just taken out, whether killed or imprisoned, leaving like a keeping a whole of knowledge, of experience, of education, of radicalism. Yeah, a country may take decades to recover from something like that. It's a cultural death in a sense. You know, this is a political movement, but it's it's kind of similar to how during Cluanissm, elders would be wiped out and with them all of their knowledge, all of their oral histories, all their languages just wiped out in an instant.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This is different, of course as a political ideology as opposed to an entire culture and ethnicity, but it's still just a massive loss of all that history, all that experience, all that radicalism and information just gone.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it's hard for a movement to recover from that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like a genocide or its colonial kind of you could call it like a dec well, it's like a decapitation of the movement, I suppose.
Speaker 5: Well, I would say it's more than a decapitation, because it's not just like notable figures that were taken out, or particularly influential thought leaders or anything. It's almost everybody. Yeah, anybody who had that fight in them, or had that radical knowledge or consciousness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyone with any lived experience, all the things they'd learned, all the mistakes they'd made, learned from like a garden that the movement has to begin almost from like a blank slate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the history is basically raised in a sense, all this left is really what they might have written down, yeah, which is obviously only a small portion of what they might have had to share with the rest of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially in a movement that's been criminalized and pursued by the state. Right, Like what they write down is what they risk the state discovering, so that they're only going to risk write sen things down.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, and then you know, when you look at this, this this didn't just happen, you require, that's happened all over the world. In some cases, this massive wipeout of the anarchists movement took place even earlier, you know, in the nineteen hundreds, nineteen tens, nineteen twenties. But in all these cases, that loss is something that we are still in a sense recovering from. We kind of had to solly build back, but we still haven't ever reached in many places the heights that anarchism's at at certain points in its history. It's in parts of the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look at even like Spain still has a very strong anarchosyndicalist movement, right, but like the best of the anarchists died in Aragon, in Madrid and in concentration camps afterwards, or fighting in the Second World War, and like, it took decades for that movement to recover, and it's still not as strong as it was. That this was one of the high points.
Speaker 5: Especially when the legacy is so much erased. You know, when you look at how histories are taught everywhere in the world, you're barely going to get a mention of anarchism despite the massive role that plead in sheep in the twentieth century, nineteenth and twentieth centuries.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this has been one of my constant things as a historian, is that like, when people write histories today, they write them from the perspective of the inevitability of the state. And like, I'm not alone in making this analysis. David Graeber does it. Scott did it too. The idea is that people who exist outside of the state are behind, and that they have failed or chosen not to advance to the more advanced human existence that is a state. And Jim Scott does this in the art of not being governed, right, Like, if we look instead as people who have chosen to refuse the state, then we understand anarchism as a choice that people would make knowing the options available to them, rather than a step backwards of failure to advance to the state. And we can look at a whole of history from that perspective and see it very differently. But most historians don't exactly.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you've in commented this where people just kind of assume, all, well, the anarchists lost, so that means the destined to lose. Yeah, they lost that particular fight that doesn't mean the war necessarily lost. And additionally, states have lost too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, states continue to lose.
Speaker 5: States, state projects have lost, continue to lose, you know, the capitalist project, capitalist businesses, they lose, they fail. That doesn't mean that the project is destined to lose. The destined to feel just means that particular iteration or that particular attempt was not able to succeed in all its ambitions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like, as historians, we shouldn't be making that judgment, right, We should be attempting to learn from and document the past rather than to sort of categorize it into like failed and successful.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that too, because the standards, the standards of failure and success are often dictated by the standpoint of the status school.
Speaker 2: Yes, very much so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, It's kind of like how the Heitian Revolution is spoken of as the only succes sucessful slave revolts, or one of the only successful slave revolts. Understand for success in that case is that they were able to establish an independent state, whereas other slave revolts in other parts of the world, including within the Caribbean, would have taken different paths. The Maroons, for example, their former revolts was a withdrawal from the system that surrounded them, creating a pocket of resistance, isolating themselves. Same thing in Brazil we had Kilombo's these set of ones that extracted themselves from the surround and oppressive structure and try to survive to the extent that they could not. All of them lasted. But nothing lasts forever, you know, Countries rise and fall. And so I think if we limit ourselves to just the example of Haiti, particularly in the context of success in a slave revolution, I think we miss out on a lot of those other examples and opportunities for inspiration guidance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're right. I think like it supplies to lots of places. I think about it, Like, you know, I'm fortunate to have this like background in history, but also to be with people in their moments of revolution and to spend time with revolutionaries in the MR. And like, one of the analysies that you always see is that, like, this creation of liberated spaces is a not enough or be like there are also places within the non government though, and where there is still very strong control from a pseudo state, right, Like, but I think that overlooks the fact that, yeah, there are not like like libertarian states, but people are living their lives without gods and masters, that they are like experiencing freedom in every moment, and they are liberated in their own lives as they continue to struggle to liberate territory in other people. That might be what success looks like, like that they are able to be self realized.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just the psychological experience in itself, it cand of be under understated or underrated, even if it's on that small scale of the individual, that's still valuable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and like if we if we acknowledge that, it's much harder to go back, Like those people can't go back because they've existed in liberation, right, Like that that they've lived in a free way. Yeah, and like they will always know that that freedom is possible, that they can live without authority, live with without state power, that that like liberation is a thing that can exist not just in our minds but in physical space.
Speaker 5: And like exactly, they.
Speaker 2: Will always know that, like that's that's available, And if we can tell those stories, so will other people.
Speaker 5: Exactly exactly, because that listening, as we speak about so often, it's the need in the process of social revolution to help people's powers drives and consciousness. You do that by giving people both of course theoretical education and you know, share knowledge in that sense, but also through experience because and I've used us phrase before, you can't put the gene back in the bottle. You can't go from experience in freedom to a situation of unfreedom and then struggles rulers and think, oh that's all they could have a be After you've experienced to the status quo, you're not going to go back to thinking the status quo is all there is and all that could ever exist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. We have to remember that when we're looking at these things, Like it's easy to look from where something ended and project that back, but we have to understand how it felt when people were doing it too.
Speaker 5: Exactly. So what kind of we kind of left on an on a somber chapter in the Uruguay's anarchist history, because unfortunately it was only after the fall of Uraguai's stutatorship in nineteen eighty five the anarchist militants were able to return to Uruguay and re estableublished the FAU in a fractured political and social landscape with greatly reduced numbers. Some of the former anarchists involved in the FAU created the People's Victory Party or PvP in exile, which had attempted to reorganize resistance efforts but also fell into some Leninist tendencies. But the main line after you continue to focus on grassroots organizing, workers struggles and political education. It continues to be engaged in Latin arcananarchist networks, particularly with Brazilian and Argentine groups like the Ferrascau Anarchista Culture, the Frau Araquista KABOCLA, the Ferrachau Anarchista do Rio de Janeiro, and the Argentine organization ALCA. Despite its past radicalism, the FAU has shifted towards a broader approach integrated mass movements while retaining its equipment to anti authoritarian socialism. Since then and up to today, they approach has aligned with the practice of especifismo, which it developed to rebuild their strength in Irauguaian and political movements. That approach has since been influential across Latin America and beyond, including North America, Europe, Asia, Africa, and Oceania. I've actually spoken about Especifismo on this podcast before and on my channel. But to give a quick summary, Especifismo is an organizational approach guided by three key concepts. The first is the need for specifically anarchist organization built around a unity of ideas and practice. The second is the use of the specifically anarchist organization to theorize and develop strategic political and organize and work. And the food is active involvement in and shaping of autonomous and popular social movement, which is described as the process of social in social as. Pacifists reject the left unity idea of a synthesis organization of revolutionaries or even multiple currents of anarchists loosely united, because they feel it boils down to lowest common denominator politics. The feel that when this unity is preferred at any cost, it leaves little room for united action or developed political discussion. It can be described in a sense as an affinity group with the shared interest in the advancement of a very specific politic. But they aren't just internally focused, you know. Specifismo is focused and build in popular power as a means of revolutionary transformation, rejecting both electoral and vang Goddess Marxist approaches. So the especifies more distinguishes between specifically anarchist political organizations or affinity groups and broader mass movements, and they advocate for anarchists creating the former and inserting themselves in the latter, building up anarchist presence and the presence of anarchist ideas in unions, in student groups, and in community struggles. So, if you want a more in depth exploration of especifismo, I suggests reading the discussion between Philippe Korea and Juan Carlos Maco so call the Strategy of a Specifismo on the Anarchist Library, and they talk about how the fragmentation of the working class under neoliberalism has created some very distinct challenges that require fresh organizational strategies and less dogmats of critgity to simplistic class analysis. But they also speak for the need to coordinate and discipline and strategically engage anarchist groups within social movements, routaining the independence but engaging in their struggle. And they also end up in that interview discussed in the FAUS long Term Strategy as a process of resistance, rupture and reconstruction resistance, meaning that the strengthening crassroots organizations direct action and ideological development, rupture meaning that they're breaking away from catalyst institutions through revolutionary action and reconstruction meanings they establish a new social relations based on self management and mutual aid. It's kind of similar to the way that I break down social revolution conceptually as an approach that incorporates both opposition and the proposal of alternatives. So I have been thinking about specifies more lately. I've made that video many years ago, and my anarchist understanding has shifted a lot, especially recently, in going back and looking at how I would have analyzed things previously, I think there's some different directions that I might take certain things in. I think, for example, the idea of affinity groups engaging in social intution is extremely valuable in shifting the conversation within you know, these mass movements. But I also think that there's a risk in the ways in which a SPECIFIESMO, if not properly understood or conceptualized, could end up opening ground for co optation towards some rather unanarchist outcomes. You know what I mean by that is, I think it's important one discussing a specifies more to be very careful against the interpretation of it as some kind of vangguard as strategy or way to dictate a vision of anarchy. I think that even if somebody has taken the pacifist approach in creating an efficiency group organized around a very specific form of anarchism, that group should still be in conversation with different tendencies and engaging in an ongoing process of critique and convergence of ideas. I believe this is the sort of motivation between Malichesta's idea of synthesis and the Synthesis Federation in anarchist history. I've still learn a bit about that, but anyway, I'd love to hear about what they are for you, and as anarchists you require up to here. Now you know they can feel free to reach out to me. I have a website now, Andrew Sage dot org, and I wish them or power to all the people. That's it for me today. You can find me on YouTube and Patreon and this has been it can happen here peace.
Speaker 8: Welcome to kidnapp and hear a podcast where I last left rfk JR on the proclamation that if he was able to take off as millions will die, and all evidence suggests that I am going to be right about this. I am your host Mia Wong with me is Gare Lou.
Speaker 6: He's making the meme come true. He's making the millions millions must die.
Speaker 8: We're really, really, really, truly only the white Man could make real unlimited gedocide in the first world. It's great, it's great stuff. So this is going to be a recap episode of not even all like some of the stuff AREFK Jr. Has done since he's gotten confirmed as the fucking United States is Secretary of Health and Human Services, an organization which can includes so many things, but like for example, the NIH, the cdc DA, I believe, yeah, many many things. So Okay, there are lots and lots and lots of different rounds of budget cuts that are happening and grant cuts from a whole bunch of different departments and agencies. We're going to start with National Institutes of Health cutting a whole bunch of studies for vaccines for new diseases. So RFKA Junior's thing was, well, we're not going to fund any COVID research because COVID is over. So no more research into COVID vaccine treatments. We're not going to fund that now. Obviously COVID is like not over trivially. Obviously you catch it and it makes you sick and sometimes you and sometimes you get debilitating, long term negative health outcomes. But this is the law to get they're using to just be like no, fuck it, fuck it, We'll cut all of the funding that we can find that does the stuff. Now the problem again. And so these these cuts look a lot like the very beginning of the Trump administration where they were just going through and like you'd get a giant list of grants that got cut in the sense that like they're like control effing programs, right, and they're like searching for keywords and then just killing all the block grants that do that. We'll get more into the end of the episode with like a different set of cuts. But one of the one of the big issues with this is that it's it's killing coronavirus research in general, like all of it is getting like massive cuts, and so this includes I think it was cnbcors You're putting on this killing a bunch of fairly like late stage research on things like you know, like like actually having vaccines that could work across like the broadcast category of coronaviruses, because like obviously there there are a whole bunch of different kinds of coronaviruses, and there are certain sort of vaccine techniques that can work to suppress like the families of them, and fucking I don't know, maybe maybe maybe the europe and the Chinese will figure out how to do that, because the surest fuck isn't gonna be US after recud all this fucking funding. It's great. So all right, we're starting sort of I guess on the vaccine beat here because there's there's so many different kinds of bullshit. One of the other really big things that happened is doctor Mark Peters, who was the guy who like did Operation Warp Speed, which was Trump's like big push to get a COVID vaccine now, and this is something I think is worth highlighting it again. This guy like worked under Trump right a lot, and some of these programs where we're talking about later were Trump programs, but Trump won. I mean, like Trump did do some anti vax shit and say some anti vac shit, but he wasn't like a hardline anti vaxxer, definitely not now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, at many points he tried to take credit himself for the fast response of the CODE vaccine, which, hey, as long as we get the vaccine, do whatever you want, buddy. And the amount that that's been like memory hold and like they're trying to like just alter alter history regarding the COVID vaccine is a little, a little head scratching. It gives me that just slow growing headache that I'm experiencing every day, nearly all the time, just not due to COVID, because I've actually, to my knowledge, never gotten it, but it is a headache of political origin.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And I think one of the one of the interesting elements of this is something the thing I've talked about more like in the wake of like the immediate wake of twenty twenty, like twenty twelve, twenty two, is there used to be a big split in the Republican Party between like the lab leakers and the anti vaxxers, because the thing about being a lab leak person is that, like you can't be a chin release a bioweapon person who also thinks that the vaccine is evil or at least you shouldn't be able to that those are like mutually. It took years. Legitimately, this is enough cognitive dissidence that even like the Alex Jones types, it took years for them to sort of like develop a level of cognitive dissonance that allowed them to do this. They did do it eventually. And what we're seeing right now right is like Trumps a way of sort of shring up his anti vaccine flank has just like handed control over all public health policy to these just like hideous anti vaccine like cranks. And so Peter Marx, who was like one of the big guys from Trump won and you know who stayed on through Biden, who was like, yeah, okay, I'm gonna fucking get this vaccine to work. He has been forced to resign. And Marx also was the guy who was in charge of vaccine safety in the US, right, and he's forced out. And he said in a statement for CNN, I mean, you can read the whole thing somewhere, but quote, it has become clear that truth and transparency are not desired by the Secretary this is OURFKA junior, but rather he wishes subservient confirmation of his misinformation and lies. So that's good. That's the guy who used to be in charge of our country's vaccine safety going like, yeah, this guy wanted me to just fucking lie about vaccines constantly.
Speaker 4: So that's great. That's fun.
Speaker 8: So before we get into the people who he's also he's bringing in to do his like unbelievably fake, hack, bullshit vaccine study stuff, we should talk a bit about the measles outbreak in Texas.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: The reason that this isn't getting more coverage is that this is going to get a really significant amount of coverage on this show in the near future when when those episodes are done, this is going to get significant coverage. For now, what I think is sort of important about this is that so there's been an outbreak of measles, which, like there should not be outbreaks and measles. We have defeated measles. We have the vaccine that you can take it. It's part of the MMR vaccine. You take it and then you don't get measles. But there are massive, you know, like communities who are fucking not vaccinating and as like, in large part because of the fucking anti vaccine shit that's being spread by people like RFK Junior, and faced with this, RFK Junior has done a bunch of unbelievably mealy mouthed bullshit about his personal choice to do vaccines blah blah blah blah blah, and then also did a whole thing about how he was going to have the government sends vitamin A to like combat measles, which is just nonsense, right, Like, so this, this is obviously just a complete fucking fiasco. We're going to cover this more as it goes on. Yeah, so stay tuned for more measles horrors. Yeah. The other thing we're not going to cover because it's going to be covered by these products and services are these advertisements.
Speaker 6: I would love to talk more about them. Well, we're still trying to get that hymns and eventually that them is a sponsorship.
Speaker 8: But we're getting closer. We're getting closer, getting closer. We are back now. What we are not coming closer to is finding a connection between vaccines and autism, because there isn't one. It's all fake. However, come up, people who don't believe this include RFKI Junior. So our kid Junior has been doing something. Okay, it's genuinely a little bit unclear who exactly is running this, whether this is like the Department of Health and Human Services is like a broader organization, or just the CDC. But he's trying to set up a bunch of people to like basically cook the books and try to publish some shit that shows a link between vaccines and autism. It's genuinely, deeply murky and unclear as to who's doing what right now. But one of the people who's been brought in to do this is David Gear, who is oh god, oh boy. I mean, even by the standards of guy whose job it is to like cook evidence to make it look like there's a connection between vaccines and autism, even by their standards, Gear is like an absolute fucking hack. So we talked about Andrew Wakefield on this show, and there is weirdly a Wayfield connection here too. So Wakefield is the doctor who originally cooked up like a connection between the MMR vaccine and autism. Gear is from like a slightly different faction of these cranks, and this is this is the faction that's work that's like the most closely aligned with Harf K. Junior. And this is the faction that thinks that like weird methyl mercury or whatever the fuck in some older vaccines was causing autism, which like, no, it wasn't, but he, you know, he and his dad, Mark Gear like did a whole bunch of work to try to sort of establish this evidence. I'm gonna read this from NBC just describing their work. Quote, the Gear is conducted research from a makeshift laboratory in their in their carpeted, wood paneled suburban Maryland basement, so get They're doing this shit from their basement. Published several studies, many of which were retracted, and promoted an unproven treatment for autism that cost families tens of thousands of dollars and included injections of loopron, a drug used for prostate cancer and early puberty in children. It's only approved for precocious puberty and comes with side effects including bone damage, heart issues, and seizures. They diagnosed kids with precocious puberty without proper testing and misled parents in the thinking they were signing up for an approved autism therapy. A twenty eleven Maryland Border Physicians' investigation found the Gears that violated standards of care so to be back up for a second, right, A, they claimed that mercury and vaccines is causing autism. B they claimed to be able to treat it with puberty. But the here autism with a puberty blocker, Yes, which is an awes extremely funny given like you know all of that, these people are like, you know what, trying to bam puberty block give it to them. That's that's fine.
Speaker 6: We're gonna cure autism by giving all these autistic kids puberty blockers and making them trans Sure, sure, let's go for it. Let's give let's give that a shot. I'm sure, I'm sure that won't create a whole new problem for them.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah that uh that.
Speaker 6: A bone damage thing isn't real. But that's fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately, this is one of the other problems is this is like you get a lot of sources that are just fucking making ship up about these fucking diseases.
Speaker 6: To be fair, I also am probably I'm unfamiliar with this exact puberty suppresses.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I don't think. In general, Yeah, density.
Speaker 6: Loss of blockers is mostly mostly negligible.
Speaker 8: Yeah. So so again again, this guy is like I found the cure for autism. And it's puberty blocks.
Speaker 6: Very funny, you know, I do know a lot of autistic people that have gotten how do I say this, they've seemed more comfortable once they've transitioned.
Speaker 8: I guess I'll see it like that. Look, it's being on the right puberty blocker is better for an autistic kid than going through puberty if you are trans. Oh but yess.
Speaker 6: But this also shows how like the attack on puberty blockers for you know, quote unquote trans minors is completely nonsense, because these drugs have been used for SIS children to cease early on set puberty. These are fully reversible. Yeah, these are used for SIS children. It's used by these like hacks and weirdos to quote unquote cure autism.
Speaker 8: Yeah, by these same people as an autism.
Speaker 6: Here for the vaccines, oh my, even though these are the same like drugs, these quote unquote like chemical castration drugs, as Matt Walsh would put it, are you know now trying to be banned, uh for for for trans children? So you know, hypocrisy always, always always matters. It's always it's always important to point out their hypocrisy because that's how we win. So here this is one one more step towards victory, Garrison.
Speaker 8: Garrison putting out hypocrisy is important because morale's a tarada struggle. It makes you feel good, and that's a little bit important, average John Stewart post. But okay, let's continue. So his father, Mark Gear, who he was doing a bunch of this research wish, was short of his medical license. Now, David Gear actually amazingly, amazingly was not strict of his medical license at Garritton. Do you want to guess why he wasn't strict of his medical license. He didn't have one. He didn't fucking have one, so instead, instead he was prosecuted for doing this shit without a medical license. He also doesn't have a medical degree. He has like a liberal arts dek okay, that.
Speaker 6: Rules these these liberal art students are giving our kids transgender hormones many such reasons.
Speaker 8: He's like the only person I've ever seen who actually genuinely did do like dangerous and unauthorized like fucking like medical, like unauthorized medical experiments on children with puberty blockers. Like He's the only one. Yeah, this is the.
Speaker 6: First instance I've like heard of like mass unethical use of puberty suppressing drugs and it's.
Speaker 8: A fucking anti vaxxery and this is the guy they're bringing into the like the cook up a connection between vaccines and autism using like fucking bears data or whatever so investigative journals. Brian Deer, who is i think probably most famous to people who've watched like an h bomber guy video as the guy who brought down disgraced X doctor to Andrew Wakefield. Deer like also wrote about this guy, like in his like unbelievably dog shit study about h SO. So he publishes like an unbelievably dogshit study about like the mercury and vaccines causes autism, whatever the fuck, and it gets basically like immediately obliterated the moment autism, like activists discover it and like, holy fucking shit, like these people are evil. I'm going to read a quote from Brian Deer's article about it, one of miss Siedell's that that's the person who like the auctism like advocate activists to you, like discovered this stuff. One of her complaints concerning the Gears a parent institutional review. The seven member IRB Institutional Review Board consists of Mark and Dave Gear, doctor Gear's wife, two of his business associates, and two mothers of autistic children, one of whom has publicly acknowledged that her son is the patient's last subject at doctor Gear and the other whom is a plaintiff in three pending vaccine injury claims. So the IRB, right, this is like an ethical review board thing that you're supposed to go through to get your studies like approved. So the IRB for the study again is these two guys, his dad's fucking wife, two of the business associates, and the mothers of two attic children who think that that vaccines cause autism and are like one of whom is in a lawsuit about it and the other the one is taking the fucking puberty blockers to try to cure the autism. So this is the guy who is being brought in to do the book cooking is a guy with no medical license, no medical degree, who had to retract his papers because they were bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Also, and this is something that that's common between him and R. K. Junior is all these people they think that like me. And this is gonna be relevant when we get to the sort of HIV AIDS. Part of this is that these people think that diseases are caused by malnutrition and not by you know, like diseases, and they think that you can treat them with just being healthy instead of like vaccines. And you know, this is this is their worldview, right, this pepul or sort of view genesis. This is also why they like one of the reasons why they fucking hate autism so much is that they're just you know, just on on a sort of political level, like that's just that's just sort of that's just what their ideology is.
Speaker 6: Imagine how many skilled drone pilots they're going to lose. It's really going to backfire on I.
Speaker 8: We will see.
Speaker 6: Speaking of womp wamp, here's some ads.
Speaker 8: All right, we're back. Let's hear more about Robert F.
Speaker 6: Kennedy Junior, the second Kennedy to have a hole in his head, but this one's from a worm WHOA.
Speaker 4: Okay, So let's let's talk about the last group of things here, which is another series of massive budget cuts that they're doing. This is another thing where they have a giant list of grants that they're fucking cutting. This is another like anti DEI and so you know, there's a lot of the things that I guess you would expect from one of these, like you can only study white people ones. So, like, there are a whole bunch of programs in this list of like grants that they're cutting that are like studying you know, racism and medicine and like the different medical outcomes between like people of different races because they're getting different levels of medical care and because of the environments that they're in. And this is all stuff that like, you know, these people do not want there to be research demonstrating that like racism exists in the medical system, because it's it's just extremely bad for there just to be objective evidence that there is racism and that it's bad and that it kills people. So another very bleak thing that I haven't seen much coverage of is that a lot of these grants were funding research into trans healthcare and also the effects of like violence against trans people and things like mental health, you know. And this is also something that's devastating because like the state of trans medicine, it's like we know things that are safe and we know things that work, which is just letting people transition, but also there's so much more stuff that we need in terms of like hormone regimes that like work better, right and things like that, and also like you know, just sort of like basic health outcome stuff. And yeah, these people do not want anyone to know exactly how bad they're They're fucking transphobia is affecting the people that they're inflicting it on, and so yeah, they're like, fuck it, we'll just get rid of all these people's funding. There's also a whole bunch of stuff that has to do with COVID. I was going to read the description of one of the fucking grants they cut to give you a sense of like the shit that they're cutting. Development of a handheld rapid air sensing system to monitor and quantify stars COVID too in aerosols in real time, which actually would be an unbelievably useful thing, right, Like a system that could detect fucking COVID like aerosols like in real time and tell you that there's fucking COVID in the air, staggeringly useful. They don't fucking want it. One of the big things that they cut is, like you know, we're talking about this with sort of like cutting like programs that study structure racism and medicine. They basically went on a like a county by county basis and found every single grant, like state by state, Cannaby county, city by city, every single grant that talks about studying the effects of COVID on non white people, you know, and they're doing this. I think people have forgotten about this. But one of the things that RFK Junior said, like I think this is dream the campaign was he had this giant rants a boy how COVID was like specifically targeted to leave Chinese people in Jews alive, Which is great.
Speaker 8: That is how he put it.
Speaker 6: Someone should probably report that to Trump's Anti Semitism task Force. Yeah, yeah, you know, Hall monitor whatever.
Speaker 8: No one cares anymore. Yeah, I mean there's you know. So so they're just trying to destroy all the stuff. They've also just like in blocks, just like got rid of every single fucking thing that was funding like any program that was like mental health care as a block thing. They're just cutting all of it. So that's gonna make everyone even more normal than we already fucking are.
Speaker 6: The Actually I agree with this because this is the one thing where I think the lifestyle choice thing does matter because I just read Yawi when I'm sad, and it fixes me. And if everyone does that, I think we don't need any of these other mental health services.
Speaker 8: What'd you do in your manic though? Read more Yaoi.
Speaker 6: Because famously, the Yawi, the Yawi you're reading demographic the most mentally stable and normal population.
Speaker 8: God. One of the other ones that's unbelievably concerning is again like county by county going through and cutting funding for like things things that promote child vaccination. They are systemically trying to cut off kids from getting vaccines, and they're trying to get rid of anything that opposes like their efforts to try to convince everyone to, like all parents to fucking not have your kids get vaccines. They also cut a whole bunch of grants for rapid disease response, which is great. We'll get to the exact reason why that's like so fucking terrifying in a second. In the like very very immediate term. They also have killed in one hundred and forty five grants for HIV, and this is a whole bunch of different HIV programs. They are killing funding for distributing and getting people to use PREP, which is a pill that like massively helps prevent HIV infections, especially if you were a trans woman and you were having sex, like you should get on PREP or a twink, I will say thank you. Yeah, the uptake rates for trans women are specifically lower, which is the thing that we know because we have these fucking funding and these and we're not gonna have that shit anymore because they're they're cutting all the fucking funding for these, for these fucking research programs.
Speaker 6: I sometimes do forget that there are trans women with different like lived like sexual backgrounds than me, because coming coming out of coming out of twink culture, it's like ingrained.
Speaker 8: Like your co host who permanently has only ever come out of lesbian culture.
Speaker 6: Yes, because in uh, in twin culture, getting on PREP is is ingrained pretty hard at this point.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well it's it's ingrained in a lot of places, but there's places where where it isn't. And those places are where things go very very bad, very quickly, which is why obviously they're they're eliminating the research for this because they want to fucking kill queer people like they think they think that HIV is a fucking lifestyle choice. RF Kid Junior particular things is because of poppers, which is.
Speaker 6: Now leading to the poppers raids. Red alert everybody, red alert. Yeah, it's it's getting pretty scary out there.
Speaker 8: So it's it's really fucking bleak. I mean they've cut you know, I mean they're they're they're trying to just fucking get rid of this because these people are just fucking unhinged, virulent homophobes and transphobes, and yeah, they want to fucking cut these programs because they think it'll hurt us. They've also laid off the entire Office of Infectious Diseases and HIV AIDS policy staff. Is that bad? Oh it's bad. Here's it's fairy CBS. Yeah, So they do child they're one of the other guers that a childhood vaccination efforts. They also run the fucking National Vaccine Program, which nobody knows what's gonna happen to it now because again, the thing that was supposed to run it's just fucking gone. So who the fuck knows what's happening with that now. They are probably going to just completely destroy Trump's like giant Trump actually in his first term had a giant program to like en HIV that like kind of did stuff because it was someone else's program that Trump just kind of implemented.
Speaker 6: We're getting so close to the HIV vaccine.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, and you know, and so who fucking knows, it's probably just completely fucked. Yeah, this is going to have just unbelievably hideous consequences on millions and millions of people. And they that's not even though they don't give a shit, it's that they think it's cool and funny and based when people like us fucking die. Now, on the other hands, the rest of the US population is about to run into the same fucking thing that all of these stupid ass bankers thought, which is that oh, Trump will just fuck with the queries and leave us alone. No, we're gonna was in the same place that I closed the last time I talked about fucking RFK junior, which is the fucking bird flu, which is that he wants the dillusion to the bird flu is he wants to fucking let it rip, and he just wants to just like be like, oh, we can just like take the birds to survive the bird flu, and we'll just let the We'll just let it spread and just use those ones and those ones will be healthy now. So thing about this bird flu right is that it kills within three to four days. I mean ill just Matt Hosey and Scientific Americas describes how this thing again within three to four days hasn't a ninety to one hundred percent kill rate. So you know you can't just do this right because they'll just it just fucking kills all the birds. He doesn't want to fucking vaccinate the birds, which is the thing that like, if you want to stop this but this this fucking pandemic from.
Speaker 4: Spreading, then you need to do it right.
Speaker 8: And once again I need I need to emphasize enough that when when I when I talked to virologist about this, they said that letting the bird flu rip through all the fucking bird populations, right, just letting you fucking spread, letting it kill everything until you only have the ones that like didn't die. Is if you were like trying to cook up conditions like field conditions specifically to try to get it to develop a mutation to spread to humans, this is what you would do as you would just let it fucking spread un controlled and kill everything. So this is what we're doing at the same time as again anti vaxxers are fucking running the running our fucking vaccine services. As we are cutting the staff of cutting grant funding for people who do response to rapid response to emerging diseases, as we are cutting the fucking entire policy staff for the Office of Infectious Diseases. They are building a fucking pandemic. And all of these fucking people think that COVID was fucking cooked up in a lab. And what they are doing is like they are, they are now doing the thing they are accusing everyone else is doing, which is they are fucking at timpting damblemant policy to cook up a fucking play in a lab.
Speaker 2: Excep.
Speaker 8: It's not going in a lab, is going to be in America's fucking factory farms, and we are all going to suffer the consequences of it.
Speaker 6: Well, I assume you saw the statement from Canter Analysts on Monday, the Wall Street investment firm. This founder was like a really was a really big Trump donor, was on the inauguration committee. But two of their analysts put out a statement today calling to reevaluate RFK Junior as a Secretary of Health and Human Services, calling out to quote unquote apparent anti science and libertarian agenda, saying it will put people's lives in jeopardy to advance a discredited theory on vaccines.
Speaker 8: Look, I will say this, like, there are a lot of riffs in the Trump coalition. RFK Junior and his people cannot fucking be allowed to run these institutions. They need to be fucking brought out now. If we do not do this now, millions of people are going to die. I have been saying this. I am going to continue to say this because you can see in real time all of the things that are going to lead to all of these people fucking dying. And you know, his position is not incredibly secure in this coalition, right, Like, Yeah, there are lots of sectors of capital who don't want the entire fucking population of the United States die in a plague.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: After Carl's grandson's resignation to his analysts also put out a statement advocating for vaccine use and specifically against RFK Junior and his vaccine rhetoric. Biotech investors also spread similar anti RFK Junior rhetoric over the weekend following marx resignation.
Speaker 8: So, yeah, go fucking I don't know. I don't I don't know exactly which public official you pressure or who you go scream at to try to get rid of this guy before he'd fucking gets us all killed. But go do that, I don't know, Go harassed or like legislator or whatever, or like, find find the nearest person who can can can be yelled at, who will convey this.
Speaker 6: Stand outside your local CDC office to sign and protest the CDC.
Speaker 8: The hospitals are empty. It's fake. Oh god, And on that note, getting us yet another fucking one of those. Actually do they even do the misinformation labels anymore? Onlike Spotify and shit and like YouTube, Well, of course not. God, we lost the election. It's not happy.
Speaker 6: Wow, truth and reasonable liss lost the election.
Speaker 8: Sorry not we So all right, yeah, this is the city could appen here. Get this guy out of office before we all fucking die in a plague.
Speaker 6: Again, this is it could happen here. I'm Garrison Davis today, I'm joined by James Stout. This episode is going to be about ice actions against students, scholars, and professors around the country and this wave of deportations targeting people engaged in pro Palestine speech. Protest, as well as some individuals who have been roped up in this new way of deportations who have not publicly engaged in Palestine activism. Let's start on the evening of Saturday, March eighth, my Mood Khalil and his wife were returning home from dinner when plane closed. ICE agents followed the couple into their campus apartment building at Columbia University. A man wearing a Marvel graphic tea arrested Khalil for then unknown reasons and threatened to arrest Khalil's wife, who is eight months pregnant and an American citizen. When Khalil's wife brought his green card from their apartment, she says, one of the ICE agents placed a phone call informing someone Khalil was a permanent resident, to which the person on the phone replied, let's bring him in any way.
Speaker 1: You've got to be under arrest, so turn.
Speaker 8: Turn around, turn around, going to be his phone?
Speaker 2: Okay, you.
Speaker 5: Worked anymore?
Speaker 8: You guys really don't.
Speaker 6: Need to be doing all of that.
Speaker 8: During the arrest.
Speaker 6: Khalil's lawyer, Amy Greer, spoke in the film with one of the ICE agents, who said that they were acting on State Department orders to revoke Khalil's student visa. Greer reiterated to the agents that Khalil was in fact a permanent resident with a green card, but the ICE agent just responded by saying they were revoking the green card instead. Khalil's a graduate student who has been studying at Columbia for over two years. Last year, Khalil emerged as a visible figure in the college encampment protests, becoming a public spokesperson and a lead negotiator on behalf of Columbia University apartheid divest Though never being arrested, Khalil faced harassment from right wing Zionist dosing campaigns calling for his deportation, and when ICE did come for Khalil, disappearing him to a detention facility in Louisiana and cutting him off from communication with his wife and lawyer. Throughout all of this, he was not charged with any crime. Instead, I used in the State Department are using a rarely used Cold War era immigration statute that gives the Secretary of State the power to exclude or deport any non citizen of the United States if there are quote reasonable grounds to believe that in individuals entry, proposed activities, presence or activities in the United States would have quote potentially serious adverse foreign policy consequences.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the one that, like I remember at the time, you and I were discussing this se in our group chat, and we were trying to work out, like how the Secretary of State could be revoking a green card, Like yeah, and I think you found this, so you found it somewhere in it. The Trump administration has been very, very good at finding very obscure pieces of law that it can wheeld against migrants. Right, No one in twenty sixteen would have foreseen what they did with Title forty two, which is a public health law, and they're doing something similar here. I mean, they may have spent the last four years looking for these things, escescially when the campus protests began, But this is entirely unprecedented as far as them weare.
Speaker 6: And right off this happened, we discussed how this case was probably going to be used as a testing ground for employing these tactics on a more widespread scale, creating legal precedent, and sure enough, Khalil's case was not an outlier. This was just the first public instance of the Trump administrations directed targeting of students they believed to be associated with protests against Israel and its actions in Gaza, and this wave of actions by ICE had actually already begun before Khalil's arrest. The day before Khalil was arrested, ICE agents knocked on the door of PhD student Rajani Shrini Vassen, who a few days prior was suddenly notified that her student visa had been revoked. When I saygents knocked, she did not answer the door. The next day, I showed up again to her Columbia University apartment. Trina Aasen was not home, but upon hearing of Khalil's arrest just a few hours later, she decided to quickly collect some belongings and flee to Canada. Five days later, when ICE returned to her residence, but this time with a warrant, Trinavasten was already gone. Homeland Security Secretary Christy nom praised this as quote unquote self deportation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they talk about this a lot, Like self deportation is definitely one of their goals. They talked about it before Trump even came into power. Like that's what we're seeing a lot of these spectacle raids and like spectacle deportations gear tactic. Yeah, yeah, exactly the desires that people leave. Is she a Canadian citizen or like I.
Speaker 6: Don't believe so, No, Okay, it was just the fastest flight from LaGuardia out of the country out of like, yeah, the closest, the closest she could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder what her immigration states is in Canada now she.
Speaker 6: Is currently figuring this whole situation out still, okay, navigating her legal options both in Canada and the States.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be interesting too to see what Canada can offer her. And like, I don't think the Trump administration would go after like having her extradited back because if she say she's not accused of a crime, and then they've kind of got what they wanted. It'll be interesting to follow that.
Speaker 6: There is no need for extradition because none of the people that were talking about today were accused of any crime.
Speaker 2: Yeah. With the other cases of quote unquote like self deportation, one of the issues is people have had their passport seized and held, like like lots of Venice Whelan migrants, so they actually can't ye or it would be very difficult for them to like just get on a fly and leave, which.
Speaker 6: I think is in part why she made the decision to get out when she could right. DHS claimed in a statement that Trine of Uson advocated violence and was quote involved in activities supporting hamas a terrorist organization unquote. ICE is targeting her seemingly stems from being mass arrested while trying to return to her apartment from a picnic friends on the same day as the Hamilton Hill occupation. She couldn't get home and was caught up in the crowd and was arrested among one hundred other people. She received two summons for obstructing traffic and failure to disperse, but her case was quickly dismissed. Homeland Security claims that failing to declare these two summons is what caused her visa to be revoked.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: Interesting That same week, ICE went after another Green cardholder at Columbia, a twenty one year old student named Yung Sao Chung, a permanent resident who immigrated to the United States from South Korea with her family when she was seven. On March ninth, ICE agents visited her parents' home looking for Chung, and that day she received an odd text message, reading, hi yunsaou. This is Audrey from the police. My job is to reach out to you and see if you have any questions about your recent arrest and the process going forward. When are you available for a phone call unquote. This recent arrest was allegedly in reference to being detained, among others, at a sit in protest at Bernard College on March fifth. Chung was charged and then released with misdemeanor obstruction. After receiving that sketchy text message, Chung got an email from Columbia Public Safety reading quote, the US Attorney's Office for the Southern District of New York has asked us to inform you that Homeland Security Investigation Agents are seeking to make contact with you in connection with an administrative warrant for your arrest. Consistent with universities practice, we wanted to share this information and their request with you. If you are represented by council, it may make sense for your lawyer to speak directly with DHS unquote. Chung's lawyer decided to call quote unquote to Audrey from the police, who revealed that she was actually an HSI agent and that the State Department was revoking Miss Chung's residency status. Now, rather than opting for self deportation or turning herself into immigration authorities, Chung decided to go into hiding and fight the deportation in the courts while trying to evade ICED attention. When ICE failed to locate her, they enlisted the help of federal prosecutors. To quote from the New York Times quote, on March tenth, Perry Carboni, a high ranking lawyer in the Federal Prosecutor's office, told Miss Amaud, miss Chung's attorney that the Secretary of State, mister Rubio, had revoked Miss Chung's visa. Miss A mad responded that Miss Chung was not in the country on a visa and was a permanent resident, according to lawsuit. Mister Carboni responded that mister Rubio had quote revoked that as well unquote. Yeah, So this is the exact same language we saw with Khalil, and it displays a general uncaring towards who they are actually targeting and what their actual legal status is in the United States. They think they're going after people student visas, but when it turns out they have green cards, that doesn't stop them, they still continue to do it anyway. On March thirteenth, ICE searched two residences on campus with warrants, citing a statute for harboring non citizens, but Chung was nowhere to be found. Like Khalil, the Trump administration is arguing that her presence of the United States hinders the administration's foreign policy agenda. But her lawyers note that Chung was not, by any means a quote unquote movement leader. She was simply one of hundreds of students who joined in nationwide protests against Israel's actions in Gaza. Her lawyer's right, quote, Miss Chung has not made public statements to the press or otherwise assumed a high profile role in these protests. She was rather one of a large group of college students raising, expressing, and discussing shared concerns.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 6: Chung had previously faced university disciplinary process, which found she was not in violation of any university policy related to protests. Last year, Chung's lawyers filed a lawsuit to prevent her deportation, claiming that ICE's actions against Chung are illegal and unconstitutional. This lawsuit reads quote, Officials at the highest echelon's government are attempting to use immigration enforcement as a bludgeon to suppress speech that they dislike, including Miss Chung's space. ICE's shocking actions against Miss Chung form a part of a larger pattern of attempted US government repression of constitutionally protected protest activity and other forms of speech unquote. On March twenty fifth, a federal judge granted a temporary restraining order halting efforts from ICE to detain or relocate Chung. The judge said that the government produced quote nothing in the record to indicate Chung is a danger to the community or a quote unquote foreign policy risk, or that she was in any communication with terrorist organizations. The judge said that there would be quote no trip to Louisiana here unquote. This is in reference to the big ICE attention facility in Louisiana. We'll be right back after this ad break. Okay, we're back now. Although Chung has at least temporarily halted ICE's efforts to detain or deporter not all legal recourses have proven successful. This week, a US district judge declined a request to block the deportation of Cornell's student Mamadou Tall after the State Department revoked his visa on March thirty first, Tall released a statement, quote, given what we have seen across the United States, I have lost faith that a favorable ruling from the courts would guarantee my personal safety and ability to express my beliefs. I've lost faith I could walk the streets without being abducted. Weighing these options, I took the decision to leave on my own terms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty bleak.
Speaker 6: So Tall has elected for the quote unquote self deportation option, at least for now. I believe his case is going to continue, but he is not going to remain in the United States.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he returned to the UK, right, I believe so.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a British citizen now. Interestingly, last September, Cornell University itself tried to revoke Toall's student visa for involvement in student protests, but he successfully appealed and was able to continue his African studies PhD remotely.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I spoke to him a little bit back then, just FIA direct message, and I think at that time, whatever his agreement was, it seems like there was a component of it that at least he didn't want to talk about it in public, which is fine. Everyone has the right to do that, and he should do it was better for himself. But maybe I'll try and follow up with him again now see if he wanted to speak, because he seems to have like he's been of all of these people at the one who's been able to make the most statements and then control his narrative to some degree.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: No, he entered this period of like radio silence after he won his appeal last fall, and then only started speaking publicly again once he began getting targeted by the Trump administration.
Speaker 8: Yeah, like the past month and a half.
Speaker 2: I think he proactively filed that suit right like before.
Speaker 6: Now, the scale that Mark Rubio and Ice are seeking for in regards to deportations is seemingly going to be increasingly large. On March twenty seventh, Secretary of State Mark Rubio claimed that he has revoked over three hundred student visas so far, saying at a press conference, quote, we do it every day. Every time I find one of these lunatics, I take away their visas unquote. Now, there are a few ways the government is currently trying to find these quote unquote lunatics. ICE seems to be targeting non citizens who have been arrested or detained at Palestine protests, even if their charges were subsequently dropped. This is the case for Chung and Shrini Vawsen, as well as former student Leca Cordia, a Palestinian who was arrested at Columbia campus protests in April of twenty twenty four She is currently being held in an ICE attention facility in Texas. Now beyond arrest records. The government is utilizing the world Wide Web and social media to identify new and returning visa applicants and possibly current visa holders that quote support terrorist organizations unquote. Social media screening of immigrants and visa holders has been slowly ramping up since twenty fourteen and accelerated during Trump's first term, but a new directive from Secretary of State Mark Rubio titled Enhanced Screening and Social Media Vetting for Visa Applicants was sent out on March twenty fifth and leaked by journalist Ken Clippenstein. The directive cites two executive orders from Trump, measures to combat anti Semitism end quote protecting the United States from foreign terrorists and other national security and public safety threats.
Speaker 8: Quote.
Speaker 6: The State Department is now requiring consular officers to conduct a quote unquote mandatory social media review with screenshotting for students and student exchange visitors with the intent of looking for evidence of quote advocating for, sympathizing with, or persuading others to endorse or espouse terror activities or support a designated foreign terrorist organization unquote. Now this applies to FM and JAY visas, so student exchange visas, academic visas, and vocational visas. The directive also instructs officers to search social media for quote conduct that bears a hostile attitude towards US citizens or US culture, including government institutions or founding principles unquote, which is kind of the most incredibly broad thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's leaving it at the great discretion of the officer.
Speaker 6: Right, There's already been an instance of a US customers agent's denying entry to someone who had a quote unquote anti Trump sentiments found on their phone. Now, though this new directive is focused on denying or revoking student visas, the Department of Homeland Security is seeking to expand its social media data collection to US citizenship, green card, and Islam applicants, basically anyone and everyone in the US immigration system, no matter their current status or what previous vetting they might have already gone through.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: On March fifth, DHS issued a sixty day notice for public comment on a proposal for quote uniform of vetting standards and national security screening unquote that includes the collection of social media information for all non citizens applying for immigration benefits like citizenship or permanent residency. A statement from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service reads, quote, these efforts ensure that those seeking immigration benefits to live and work in the United States do not threaten public safety, undermine national security, or promote harmful anti American ideologies unquote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like the anti American ideologies again is just fastly broad.
Speaker 8: Right, It's like crazy red scare level stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And I'm guessing this will be either like a literal control f of whatever they can find of your public social media or AI, some kind of AI assistant. That's what it seems to be, right, Like.
Speaker 6: Former immigration agents have suggested that they're probably going to use some AI system for this, as they've already kind of used more primitive versions. But ramping up to this scale and with like this increased focus and attention on quote unquote AI is going to affect the way that they do this betting process.
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Great.
Speaker 6: So though the government is trying to increase their social media screening, so far, they actually haven't had to do that much of their own research to identify targets for removal. On March seventeenth, a Georgetown scholar named Badar Khan Suri was arrested by Homeland Security outside his home in Virginia, where he lives with his wife, who's a US citizen, and their three kids. According to Surrey's lawyer, masked agents quote refused to tell him the basis for the arrest, handcuffed him, and forced him into an unmarked black SUV unquote. Later, his wife was informed that her husband's visa was revoked based on social media posts and that Surrey was sent to ICE attention in Louisiana. Homeland Security Assistant Secretary Tricia McLoughlin posted on x that Surrey was quote actively spreading Hamas propaganda and promoting anti Semitism on social media. The Secretary of State issued a determination that Surrey's activities and presents in the United States rendered him deportable unquote. Of course, any single post in support of Palestine is going to be seen as quote unquote promoting antisemitism. According to Mark Rubio, Surrey's lawyer wrote in a court filing, quote, doctor Surrey is an academic, not an activist. But he spoke out on social media about his views on the Israel Gazo war. Even more so, his wife is an outspoken critic of the Israeli government and the violence it has perpetuated against Palestinians. Yeah, see that he was identified through his wife, right, correct, and we'll get to that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 6: Surrey has no criminal record, and according to a colleague, he did not attend campus protests. However, Surre's lawyer writes that his family have been victims of a docsing campaign, with his wife stating that a website had quote claimed falsely that my husband and I have quote ties to Hamas unquote. The Homeland Security Assistant Secretary references that claim in a public statement on Twitter. And this harassment stems in part from Surrey's father in law being a maud Yusef, a former advisor to Hamas a federal judge blocked serious deportation as immigration court proceedings continue, but he still remains in iced attention.
Speaker 2: What kind of visa was he on?
Speaker 6: He's not a green card holder. He received his visa to continue doctoral research on peace building in Iraq and Afghanistan. It's some kind of like academic or exchange visa. I don't think we know the exact type that he has.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that would be it would be interesting to know if, like, are they searching just through f one visa databases or they I mean obviously not a find these green card people, but.
Speaker 6: Like, well, I think specifically in this case, they're searching social media. They're not searching through their own databases. They don't care what kind of visa he has. They're looking at this docksing campaign that's been targeted at him and his family for like over a year and using that as the basis to deport him.
Speaker 2: Right, and then being like, can we deport he's not a citizen?
Speaker 6: So yes, basically even though his wife is a citizen, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's children puberly therefore also citizens.
Speaker 6: His wife, whose father is a mod yusef. They can't deport her because she's a citizen, or at least they can't deport her right now. Who knows if they'll try to denaturalize in the future. Yeah, but this is the easiest person to target.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think that's kind of what they're going for. Like a lot of this is it's like the politics of owning the Libs, Right, It's like the politics of being angry at your niece and nephew on Facebook and wanting to humiliate them. Like, It's not a particularly lately coherent policy other than like the Palestine protests made a lot of people on the right mad, and they don't like migrants and that now they're using this obscure legal provision as a cudgel against everything they dislike.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and using social media to identify people who have never been arrested, never been charged with anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: We're going to finished our discussion on these doxing campaigns and ICE action starting students after this ad break.
Speaker 4: All right, we're back.
Speaker 6: So right now, the two main vectors for iceed attention, whether you have a green card or a visa, seems to be previous arrests or these mass doxing campaigns. Now, someone like Mahmoud Khalil was never arrested or charged with a crime, but instead it has been the target of harassment from both a local campus doxing account run by Columbia professor and fellow students, as well as larger right wing Zionist organizations like Canary Mission. A few days before being arrested by Ice, Canary Mission posted a video naming Khalil as a quote unquote siren moog suspect it foreign national alert? So what is Canary Mission if you're lucky enough to be unaware? Since twenty fifteen, Canary Mission has been collecting and publishing personal information of people they accuse of promoting quote hatred of the United States, Israel, and Jews on North American college campuses and beyond unquote. Now they have profiles for a few legitimate American neo Nazis, but many profiles only cite criticism of the Israeli government and its actions in Gaza as proof of alleged anti Semitism. And now there is increasing evidence that the government is using websites like Canary Mission to target students, professors, and scholars for ICE deportation, essentially outsourcing intail gathering from these pro Israel non government organizations. A few weeks ago, Canary Mission uploaded a profile for Rumeza oz Turk, a Turkish graduate student at Tufts University. They included a picture her resume and linked to an op ed she co wrote last year for her student paper criticizing the university for its ties to Israel amidst the Warren Gaza. For this, the Canary Mission claimed oz Turk quote engaged in anti Israel activism unquote. Two weeks later, while walking alone to Iftar dinner for Ramadan, a plane closes, ICE agent approached oz Turk on the sidewalk. As he grabbed her arms and wrestled away her phone. Five more agents surrounded her and pulled up their gator masks as neighbors began filming the arrest. Within twenty four hours, she was moved to ICE attention in Louisiana. A statement from Homeland Security claimed that HSI Homeland Security investigation had determined that oz Turk quote engaged in activities in support of Hamas, a foreign terrorist organization that relishes the killing of Americans, and Secretary of State Mark Rubio said, quote, we gave you a visa to come and study and get a degree, not to become a social activist that tears up our university campuses.
Speaker 2: Quote yeah, I mean again, Like writing an op ed is like as central to the First Amendment as things can be.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, there's no evidence she was even attending campus protests, let alone tearing up tearing up the university she co wrote an op ed. And you should not be deported for engaging in protest on a university campus at all. Right, this is flatly unconstitutional, extremely worrying. The fact that this person just got a profile in the Canary Mission website for writing an op ed and then this is used as justification for her deportation is still like an even greater escalation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like, if we're talking about like this is sort of like liberal idea of the the marketplace of ideas, right, the way that the ideas enter the marketplace, Like, you will find nothing more amenable to liberalism than writing an op ed in your campus newspaper. Right, that is the most like well behaved, straight down the middle, constitutionally protected thing way to engage in anti genocide activism, pro Palestine activism. So like, in a sense, this one is particularly disturbing, Like as a frontal assault on First Amendment. Rise for non citizens is what it is. Yes.
Speaker 6: On March twenty fourth, Canary Mission published a new section of their website titled Uncovering Foreign Nationals, which lists the profiles of non citizens who they believe qualify for deportation.
Speaker 2: Jesus.
Speaker 6: Another far right pro Israel docsn group called Batar, which even the ADL lists as an extremist group. Yeah, which is wild. Batar says that they have given the Troup administration a deportation list of thousands of names, including citizens that they expect to be denaturalized. People like Mamado Tall and Mahmood Khalil have been targeted by both of these organizations.
Speaker 2: People will be familiar with. I don't know if it's Bitar or Bitar, but like you probably have seen videos of them on campus trying to hand pages to people pagers, Yeah, like making.
Speaker 8: Light of the pager attack Israel.
Speaker 2: Did I mean making a threat? Like sure, Like if you're going to come onto a campus and make a fucking bomb threat and accuse someone else of terrorism, I mean the hypocrisy is kind of the point.
Speaker 6: But or even just like you know, quote unquote celebrating the deaths of people.
Speaker 2: Right yeah, right, like mocking this attack which killed children, which you know, crippled people. It's just disgusting. It's like just important. They seem to get a lot of attention online because they do the thing where they go up to people and say deliberately provocative things and film their reactions. Right, they're kind of IRL trolling.
Speaker 6: The past week, ICE actions against students have seemingly accelerated. Ali Reza Drudi, a doctoral student from Iran studying at the University of Alabama, was arrested by ICE on March twenty fifth in the middle of the night at his off campus apartment. Drudi's the entry visa expired, but he was allowed to stay in the States as he still maintained his student's status. It's unknown why exactly he was targeted. He has no ties to protests or any notable online footprint.
Speaker 2: It could be his ethnic origin, right leg yeah, it could be his name, right yeah. But that we should explain the status thing a bit more for people who aren't familiar. So, like, sure, your status is when you're in good standing with the university, So normally that means you need to be enrolled in twelve credits per You might be on semestis, you might be on courts. I don't think it's usually matters you have to does a minimum course load. It may be different for different systems. I don't know. You'd also need to be in good standing in terms of like not lay on your fees, right, your tuition fees, that kind of stuff, right, not in any you haven't been expelled or excluded from the university for any actions that you've taken that kind of thing. It means you are currently a student at the university. Basically the only time this normally affects international students that I'm aware of, because a person who now teaches students is like they can't drop below a certain course load, when otherwise they may wish to drop below a certain courseload to either focus on they might have like a research position, they might be doing other stuff on campus like taing. Right, Sometimes that ta and counter towards their course load. Sometimes it doesn't, but it can affect things like that. But generally it would be the university that would update that status. Right, that would notify US Customs and Immigration if somebody fell out of compliance with that. If I'm hearing right, that doesn't seem like that's what happened here, right.
Speaker 6: No, Simply his entry vis a expired, so if he left the country, he then would have to get another visa to get back in, but he can stay as long as he still has his valid student status. So not only is ICE trying to revoke these like visas, but they're trying to essentially say that by revoking these visas, they are also attempting to strip them of their student status, which is like a separate like step. These things can get kind of very very blurry though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I don't quite how that works in terms of like our ICE supposed to be able to I don't think it hugely matters at this point.
Speaker 6: Technically, the State Department does have that ability, but it's under the same like foreign policy risk designation, Okay, and they'll justify it by saying, well, his visa already expired, so we're just removing him because his visa expired, even though that's not really how this works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, then they don't have to remove him for that reason. But yeah, in this case, I guess they go for something else.
Speaker 6: No, because the University of Alabama did not elect to rescind his student status. He was a student good standing, Yeah, and thus legally allowed in the United States.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, like everyone else say, he hadn't done anything that would, under normal circumstances lead to him having any interactions with USCIS.
Speaker 6: Just this last week, I sttained a University of Minnesota grad student at their off campus housing. The university released a statement saying that they had no prior knowledge of this incident and had not shared any information with federal authorities. This person's name is still not released.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 8: Last week, a.
Speaker 6: Student at the Southern Illinois University had their visa revoked. The school administration told their college paper that the university has no role in the visa revocation process. The Illinois Governor's office is working with schools across the state to quote ensure they are being vigilant about what's happening on their respective campuses. The Governor's team has asked universities to communicate with international students about the general resources available to them through the institution. In addition, we have suggested that they connect impacted students with legal resources that have been in place for several years. According to a statement sent to the university paper, the Daily Egyptian Tina Sickinger, which is a very cool name. The school's director of International Student and Scholar Services sent an email to the international student body of Southern Illinois University advising them to carry photocopies of immigration documents with them at all times, as well as proof of enrollment and records of US residences. The email recommended that students quote use caution on social media and exercise discretion when participating in political demonstrations or protests unquote, warning that though protests should be protected speech, quote, such activities can sometimes be misinterpreted and may carry risks to your immigration status unquote. Unfortunately, I think this is the university trying to look out for these students.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's the best you could expect from them, really, And.
Speaker 6: They are providing like legal resources to these students, but they're essentially saying like you shouldn't post anything or do any protests because then ice might come kidnap you. Yeah, which is just a fucked up situation to be in. And like, yeah, they don't have any other ability to like stop this right now. I am curious what Prisker is going to continue to do here.
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, I mean, none of what they've said is like wrong, It's kind of what you can expect from university. The best you can expect from the university really is like, hey, we've noticed it's happening.
Speaker 6: So that is the situation as it currently stands. I do have one final tidbit here just that highlights the absurdity of this whole situation. On March twenty fourth, a lawsuit on behalf of Israeli Columbia students and relatives of Israeli October seventh victims was filed against Columbia Jewish Voice for Peace and Students for Justice in Palestine, Columbia University Apartheid divest and individual Columbia students, including Mahmoud Khalil. The loss of allege is that these Columbia groups and students are the domestic propaganda arm of Hamas, and even claims that these groups had advanced notice that the October seventh attack was going to take place.
Speaker 4: Oh, come on.
Speaker 6: So the plan was kept secret among Hamas's own political allies in the region, but they gave an Ivy League university in the New York City.
Speaker 2: Had tip off. They just let him know what was coming. Completely absurd, absolutely like like the IDF completely failed to see this coming, right, But they're not the folks at the Ivy League universities who were who were ready and waiting.
Speaker 6: Hamas didn't tell the who thies, They didn't tell Iran, they didn't tell Hesbola, but they told student activist groups in New York City at the Columbia University campus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely ludicrous. Like, await this court case. I guess to see what evidence they have of this. The evidence is going to be like someone had a Palestinian flag.
Speaker 6: Some of the quote unquote evidence that they that they allege is that some of these like activist accounts had a renewed activity in October of twenty twenty three, like before the attack happened. But this is just a simple coincidence. Obviously these people did not have a heads up that the October seventh attack.
Speaker 8: Was going to take place. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The lawsuit also argues that protest activity is not First Amendment protected speech, but in fact, quote substantial assistance in the form of propaganda and recruiting services and in coordination with a designated foreign terrorist organization, again alleging there's some kind of communication between hubmas and student activists in New York City.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is ludicrous. Like one of the reasons maybe we're seeing this so much over the Palestine advocacy is that Hamas is enlisted foreign terrorist organization. Many other groups and lots of groups in that part of the world are, But like it's just a bigger stick to waive I guess material aid or that no one has been actually accused of material aid to foreign terrorist organization as far as I'm aware, but like that is kind of the sort of stick that they're waving, right, that is the thing that they're alleging.
Speaker 6: I will end us with just this kind of final note. Now, while there are little signs that this would happen at a scale this large and disfocused under a democratic president, a degree of consent for this type of targeting was manufactured the past year as it relates to Palestine protests, with some liberals and democratic politicians associating activists as pro Hamas terrorists. And this is the consequence of that public perception building and the consent being manufactured for that framing. And now that the even more evil side is in charge, they can take that justification and run with it way further than what a Joe Biden or a Kamala Harris would have done. So it is far worse, but it's not in a political bubble. This has been like a growing project for the past few years.
Speaker 2: There was no point at which to buy the administration really, like effusively said, this is protected First Amendment speech. Yeah, we may not like it, but it is central to the Bill of Rights. It's central to what America is supposed to be about.
Speaker 6: They never defended the constitutionality of this speech. Yeah, nor would they have intervened to stop the deportation of someone like Tall if Cornell decided to revoke his status, right right, Yeah, I don't think they buy an administration or a Kamala Harris administration would be directed in these these universities to take that action themselves, nor would they be I think revoking student visas at scale like this, No, but they would have let Ice do the stuff that ICE does if universities themselves elect to remove student visas or unenroll these students, and like, a degree of the complacency here is placed on the actual university administrations, the university staff who have beenfying these protesters for the past two years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean in some cases, right, Like I'm thinking of one of Columbia, Like professors have got away with things which are absolutely unacceptable and like one hundred percent in some violation of your agreement with the university as a member of the faculty, Like doxing your students. Yeah, photographing students without their consent, following students around like absolutely unacceptable, Like in any other context that you would be immediately shitcanned for that. Like really, really, the only reason you can lose tenure seemingly is being a fucking creep to students or stealing a lot of money, And like universities did allow that for more than a year under the Biden administration, and like we're seeing the consequences of that now.
Speaker 6: It's also worth noting that, since I've had to quote from so many government statements this episode, the Trump admin is continuing to correlate any expression of sympathy or solidarity with Palestine as explicit support for Hamas. Basically, anything you say that's critical of the Israeli government its actions in Gaza are being interpreted by the Trump administration as anti semitism and support for the October seventh massacre. This is a false equivalency. What the government alleges should not be automatically taken as the truth. These tactics have been used for years to broadly smear pro Palestine activists while also hurting anti Zionist Jews. And I guess, like, finally, we are not necessarily endorsing every single thing that every single one of these students has said. We do not necessarily agree with the framing of every single sentence that they have said.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we don't know everything that they've said.
Speaker 8: We can, yeah, exactly. This is like completely separate to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't matter, Like we are defending their right to engage in constitutionally protected speaking.
Speaker 6: Correct no matter what they're saying, no matter if they have opinions on hamas that differ from ours. No matter what they are saying at a campus protest, it should not result in ICE targeting them and hunting them down and forcing students who attend to sit in protests into hiding to defend their own rights and to keep their green cards. This is like a completely absurd and like blatantly fascist to use the now overused word frankly, but this is like, this is this is what that is if this was happening in China, this was happening in Russia, in other countries, people would be very very quick to call.
Speaker 2: Out I mean, it does happen in Russia, right people exactly, people quick to call it out. Yeah, yeah, And if the State Department of this country has called it out right like it at right Ley, Yes, I don't agree with everything the State Department does, but they do agree with him on that, like yeah, And I think this is like I know, if you find yourself having a discussion about this, I think almost everyone in America can find something that they disagree with the government on or have disagreed with the government on, and like, this hurts every single one of us. Right, everyone's right to freedom of speech is challenged. When someone's right to freedom of speech is challenged, and like, I think that is the way to approach this. It doesn't really matter if the people whose speech is being challenged right now, the speech is if it's odious to us, if it's something that we don't agree with, Like, that isn't what's at stake. What's at stake is everyone's right to say everything without government consequences.
Speaker 6: Well, I think that doesn't for us today at it Could Happen Here? We will continue to report on the targeting of students, scholars and professors, and immigrants in general as the Trump administration ramps up its deportation efforts. If you would like to contact us about these topics, we have an encrypted email address at cool Zone, tips at proton dot ne. It is end to end encrypted, so if you use another encrypted email service or another proton mail account to send the email only, then is it encrypts?
Speaker 4: Did this?
Speaker 8: Is it could happen here?
Speaker 6: Executive Disorder our weekly newscast covering what's happening in the White House, the crumbling economic world, and what this means for you.
Speaker 8: I'm Garrison Davis. I'm joined by Robert Evans, James Stout.
Speaker 6: And Mio Wong. It is a liberation day in America.
Speaker 8: Everyone. How do you feel?
Speaker 1: I feel liberated, last, free at last, Thank God Almighty, we are free at last for being able to afford things.
Speaker 8: I am so so liberated right.
Speaker 2: Now, unchained from a burden of having money.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, well, as the Buddhists say, know, freeing yourself from attachment is really the path to nirvana.
Speaker 8: Trump really is our first Buddhist president.
Speaker 2: Is one thing they say about him.
Speaker 1: That's right. He may be the new Dalai Lama who can say the Dalai Lama and he hasn't, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and the priests who looked for him after he dies. When he comes back. These guys, unfortunately, they're probably on a fucking travel band list.
Speaker 1: Now, oh my god, there's I mean, pretty good chance they're in ice custody at the moment. If I understand Buddhists.
Speaker 6: Well, I think we should just get right to the most pressing news, which is line go down.
Speaker 1: Line, Line is on its way down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, line in free fold currently.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's funny because they chose they were supposed to initially. I think it was like going to be three pm or something. E St two or three was the initial time they wanted to announce this, which would have given this dock market a couple of.
Speaker 8: Hours on April second, right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on April second, it would have given it Liberation Day. On Liberation Day, there would have been a couple hours for it to take effect, and they attempted to mitigate this. I guess in the hope that we would all get over it overnight, we would forget some other ship before the new prices. Even Kevin, we'd be like, ah no, I'm on and the next thing. But the Dow and the NASA is all all plunged because it's clear if the president is like deliberately shifting an event to not hurt the stock market, that's going to hurt the stock market, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's good. When you see a ninety degree angle on the old stock market graph, that's when you know someone's really crushing it in the economic delug.
Speaker 1: And so far, we're recording this a little afternoon on Thursday, the April the third, So just in the course of today, major stock indexes have dropped by about five point six percent, which means about two point seven trillion dollars in market value, which will be the just declined since March of twenty twenty sick. So we are it is looking like this is going to be, at the very least a stock market decline in line with the one that came as a result of the global pandemic, with the noted caveat that there's really no reason to believe it will get better at any point.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, you can't ready vaccinate against you now, I'm not qualified to give financial advice, but I think everyone should pull out your four O one k right now, go to the bank, withdraw all your money, all of your.
Speaker 1: Rivery bit of it. Put it into the worst tasting survival foods. Yeah, and you're gonna want to buy Kel texts, lots of Kel texts in a caliber no one else has.
Speaker 2: Five to seven. Yeah, get the one that doesn't take eighty thirty two ACP. I won the thirty two ACP.
Speaker 8: That's it.
Speaker 1: That's it, James. Everyone buy thirty two ACP.
Speaker 2: And guy, yeah, it's exceeded in ending one World war and right done.
Speaker 1: We call that doing a hitler, but in a good way.
Speaker 8: Someone here has to be vaguely responsible and say, don't fucking do that. Do none of those things, zero zero of those too. Your accounts, get hard cash.
Speaker 1: Mark Cuban told people to do that.
Speaker 8: Absolutely not.
Speaker 2: Mayor endorses Reagan Coin is the exclusive safe source of the time savings.
Speaker 1: You're gonna want to put every dime you've got in pressed latinum. Now I know that that's the currency from star Trek and does not exist. Nevertheless, cancel your accounts, put it all in latinum.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's gonna exist. In like what like forty years per time.
Speaker 2: On the ground, it's not already a meme coin ten minutes off to discuss more.
Speaker 8: Stable than your four oh one k Right now, you can.
Speaker 1: Be rich just in time for money to stop being a thing.
Speaker 8: There you go, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is why we're launching cool zone coin.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 1: It's redeemable for whatever money the Ferengi use when they exist.
Speaker 6: We should probably talk about why the stock market is doing poor Leah, So I think Robert, you can handle this segue.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, wait, what is that? Oh my god?
Speaker 9: Is that Mina Wong's theme music by god Lock jas right jas locks right jasp.
Speaker 1: Oh god, that was a great purchase, you guys. I mean, can we all agree with every penny?
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 6: Was the best financial purchase we've made is the Tariff Talk theme though.
Speaker 8: We're gonna get so much mileage out of that thing. It's an unbelievable.
Speaker 1: You're gonna be using this fucker for years.
Speaker 2: At least something good came of face. When you're struggling to get by with your family, just remember the song.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, this will keep you warm as you huddle around a barrel waiting for the UH the new police, which are just called murder police to reach your chanty town anyway.
Speaker 8: Let us talk heraffs. Power sections of the left have long argued is in logistics. It was logistics that allowed the capitalists of the nineteen seventies and eighties to crush the labor movement by enacting the so called spatial fix to the crisis of capitalism. By shifting production from countries where workers movements were strong to countries where violence against workers was easier and workers were thus poorer and more exploited, CEOs could pit workers against each other in an endless race to the bottom. These practices became known as offshoring. Infused with the international attack on unions and the power of workers heralded in the US by Reagan, together they crushed the workers movement and implemented neoliberal austerity throughout the globe through a regime that is colloquially known as free trade. Now, there was, of course, resistance to this, maybe most famously the uprising of the Zapatistas and Chiapas in nineteen ninety four, on the day the NAFTA went into effect. But for all of the victories and all of the spaces that were carved out. It is still the CEOs, the bosses, and the capitalists to rule the world. However, in the wake of their defeat, sections of the working class came to see their own power as a product of the nation of masculinity of American jobs. For American workers, in this view, you didn't need to form a union, you didn't need to organize, you didn't need to fight the bosses who exploit you. All you needed to do for the high paying blue collar jobs of the nineteen sixties to return was getting rid of the immigrants and bring jobs back home. This American nationalist ideology was extremely useful to the ruling class. It allowed them to turn the rhetoric of the old base of the workers' movement into a fascist movement, which they could then use to smash any genuine worker struggle and then ride to power to impose more brutal austerity and more pro capitalist reforms, too, in their view, make it impossible for their power ever to be challenged again. But a strange thing happened in the nationalism bred by the defeat of the workers movement. The human personifications of the capitalist bubble economy in Donald Trump and Elon Musk have come to see their own victory as defeat. They became convinced that the trade deficits, which from a capitalist perspective simply do not matter as long as companies are making money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, they better for shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah here's the fuck.
Speaker 1: What you are calling a trade deficit is us getting things we want from.
Speaker 2: People, Like yeah, yeah, it's buying stuff. Like I saw a good post. It was like, you don't have a trade deficit with your dentist. You just pay them to fix your teeth, Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was. I was told at one point in this nation's greatest living previous moment of crisis, that what we needed to do was go buy things to make it better.
Speaker 4: Not anymore, buddy.
Speaker 8: Nope, because because these people, Donald Trump and Elon Musk and the cadra of weird white nationals fanatic sets around them, have absolutely convinced themselves that if you have a trade deficit, you are being ripped off by foreigners.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep.
Speaker 8: And so they concluded that we needed to put tariffs on fucking all of the rest of the world in order to bring American jobs back to Americans. A new national autarchy for a fascist world now the ruling class, all the capitalists, all these fucking goddamn Goldman Sachs motherfuckers, financial analysts, all of these CNBC dipshits, all of these fucking all these motherfuckers at black Rock and all of the global hedge funds and all of these, all these motherfuckers, all of the tech dipshits, all of the people who backed Trump to a hilt, simply assumed that none of these hairs would ever happen, that it was all campaign bluster, that he was lying out of his ass. And you know, Obama again I've said this before, ran an abolishing NAFTA. So there was you know, and well, what the fuck ever came from that, right? We of course fucking tried to tell them otherwise. We tried to tell them that they could not fucking control the fascist beasts, that one day it would rise to consume them all along with us. They didn't care. They backed Trump anyways because they thought they would get fucking tax breaks and now liberation days here.
Speaker 1: Don't forget Krypto. They were really bullshot back.
Speaker 8: Yeah, all of these motherfuckers, they really thought that Trump was going to fucking literally all Trump was going to do was punish the transgenders, get rid of woke, and give them tax cuts.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm yep.
Speaker 8: And now if the terror falls have gone up, the old world is dead, the new world struggles to be born. Now is the time of monsters.
Speaker 6: Now we're in what I'm what I'm referring to as the Chinese Century. I came up with this this this week on my own.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, okay, mm hmm yeah. Good Now.
Speaker 1: That's that's of course named after Chinatown in San Francisco, which Garrison is very bullish about positive, positive real estate developments there. Uh, you're big into real estate. People don't know that.
Speaker 8: Chinese real estate absolutely where you want to be right now, both both in Chinatown and in actual China. You put all your money in the Chinese real estate. The bubble can't pop a second time, can only go back up.
Speaker 1: It does. There were so many like enemies on the verge of defeat in like the traditional US geopolitical sense, like China'scconoio was doing great. Russia could have been easily pushed to collapse, and we were just like Noah, no, no, you know what's better. We're gonna shoot ourselves right in the.
Speaker 2: Deck, which we've snatched defeat from.
Speaker 1: The ourselves in a dick with a bullet that venmos, both of you guys.
Speaker 2: It's great. We dug up the Cold War, resurrected it and then lost.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just to lose.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful.
Speaker 1: You can't. Yeah, it's so it's sort of like Michael Jackson coming back for Space Jam if he had immediately like fucking thrown a basketball so hard at a bugs bunny skull that it put him at traction.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, did you just say Michael Jackson.
Speaker 1: Jordan didn't, Okay, Jordan, we just said Jacks Well, definitely, you know, leave it in different, different movie, maybe better. You know, he always he always performed well around kids.
Speaker 2: So it's good.
Speaker 8: God, yeah, I love Space Jam.
Speaker 1: It's a good movie.
Speaker 4: Anymore.
Speaker 2: Garret said, it's forevitainted.
Speaker 1: Now, so let's let's talk about the nature of like what's actually going down with these terrts.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let's get to the tariffs.
Speaker 1: Terrible, terrifable, terrifable, that's right, garrisons.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so okay, so let let me let me let me just let me just read off some of the ones that are going to fuck everyone. Great, fifty four percent tariff on all goods from China. This is a thirty four percent tariff that is being added on to the twenty percent tariff that was already on. There is a twenty percent tariff on all goods from the EU, forty six percent on Vietnam, which is fucking devastating because there's a huge amount of capital from China.
Speaker 1: Also, speaking of the China Panic, our strongest geopolitical ally in the region, like in terms of having a military right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that we've been discussing going to warfall.
Speaker 8: Quite really Yeah, like we we just we we have literally and this is this is the funny thing about all of these. Vicky Osto will pointed this out. The more closely allied with the US, the more fucked you got by these.
Speaker 1: It's such a weird move.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, twenty four percent tariff on Japan.
Speaker 1: What is it like eighty or ninety percent on fucking Cambodia why.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, yeah yeah. So we'll we'll get to why in a second. I want to also cover so there's there's a thirty seven percent tariff on Bangladesh, which is going to be devastating. I mean a lot of textile imports twenty five percent on South Korea. So fucking rip you ever getting a phone again? On Taiwan. So rip the entire tech industry. Uh? I fucking rip Taiwan too.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: These tariffs are going to devastate the international economy. Okay, I have been angry about this since the fucking election. People have been calling these tariffs attacks. That is just no, it is not what's happening here. This is like calling it a tax is to completely underplay how serious this is. This is not a fucking tax. This is the wholesale destruction of entire industries. And some of these industries like fast fashion, which you know has always been undergirded by the exploitation of workers from China to Bangladesh and also like in the US two but like you know, fuck those things whatever, they never needed to exist. Fuck them. But like you know, like you're probably not gonna be able to fucking buy board games anymore because they're going to be too expensive to produce.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's gonna shatter games like tabletop gaming.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, yeah, it's done. Like the economy as we knew it does not exist as of like this morning, right, everything that we've known about how this thing works is fucking done. And some of these are just, you know, like unbelievably hideously cruel. So, for example, a forty four percent terriff on me and Mark, Yeah, which you know is a country, Yeah, devastated by a horrific war wage for a brutal dictatorship and also fucking suffering from a catastrophic earthquake, and we're like, fuck you eat shit.
Speaker 4: Forty four percent tariff also embargoed.
Speaker 2: No, like we've seized their government assets in the United States, Like, yep, it's one of like Diego Garcia for instance.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's well it's on the British Indian Ocean Territory, which collective population is primarily US soldiers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like Christmas Island is on there, like yeah, you know.
Speaker 8: And there's one more that I want to talk about, which is that so Sri Lanka has been suffering from an unbelievably devastating series of economic crises and they're getting hit with forty four percent fucking tariff in a moment when like they already haven't had enough dollars to fucking import fuel for their economy to function. So this is going to be devastating not just for us, but for a whole bunch of people across the world. So this is the other aspect of this too, that's really fucking brtle, is that for the US, right, we don't need other countries' money, We don't need to have piles of any other country's money around, Right, we can just buy things in American dollars. But if you are Sri Lanka, you need American dollars to buy oil.
Speaker 1: Yes, there are.
Speaker 8: So many fucking things that you could only buy in American dollars. And when these tariffs go up, when the prices increase, and when they can't fucking sell their stuff, that means that they don't have dollars, and that means that they can't get access to a whole bunch of the vital commodities that they need to survive. And this is just going to fucking devastate them. And I think that's been an angle that I really wanted to make sure we talked about, because it's been I haven't seen any fucking mention of it at all, even though those are the are going to suffer the most of this are people who are already completely on the fucking edge, whose economies have already been collapsed. You've already been so brutally exploited by these same fucking people, and they're just fucked.
Speaker 1: Yep. You know, we always say we know like tarifs, but we do like these ads.
Speaker 5: We're back.
Speaker 1: I don't feel great about that.
Speaker 8: But now there is a funny part of all of this. There is some fun here good, which is okay. So what if the big questions about the tariffs was how were they going to calculate the tariffs on all of these countries? Right because they were saying that that their terrorifts were going to be a projection of like currency manipulation and like value added taxes and like all of these like like subsidies to vital industries and you know, and the question again was like literally, how can they poss cocky at the tariff rates of hundreds of different countries and taking into account all these things right now have been making a couple of weeks ago, was that they were going to do brackets. What they actually appear to have done is ass chat GPT.
Speaker 1: It's entirely people have like reverse engineered the prompts. It's almost directly just the schatchy probably shit, there's a couple different engines that gave almost identical responses. But it's probably just.
Speaker 2: Amazing that they're doing the same shit as like my undergraduates and the people are doing the same shit.
Speaker 1: Sure you're undergraduates. Spends a little more time trying to hide it, James.
Speaker 2: Most of them a smart enough to to like had it a little bit so that you can't put prompt into chat GPT and find it. Yeah, so that my lowest effa undergrads.
Speaker 8: I want to give a lot of credit to the economist James Sarah reci who's the guy who figured out their formula. So their formula, and this is drawing for something, I mean I saw it from from James first. But like, so their formula is literally just you take a country's trade depisity with the US. And it's also important to note here that they're not counting services. They're only counting goods, right.
Speaker 1: And again, if you're if you're missing the products and just getting in services, that's half the economy as I understand it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, especially provides an enormous number of services. You know, But these people are fucking fascists, and so they don't they don't think that like services are fucking real, right, It's it's the same ideology that undergirds the whole thing about like service workers not being fucking real works.
Speaker 1: Literally, the only real job is that one video of a guy wrestling with an oil Derek.
Speaker 8: Yes, that is the.
Speaker 2: Only that is the manager just doing that for the video and was doing it very wrong.
Speaker 1: You've got to.
Speaker 6: Take some pieces of metal, move them around to where they're not supposed to go.
Speaker 8: That's that's when you're a real labor, labor that's working.
Speaker 2: Only jobs are things where you wear safety toe boots and.
Speaker 8: Well and and and that's and that's the thing they'll learn because like their image of the world is is the fascist image of the world, and the fascist image of the world, like labor is just masculinity. Yeah, and that's like that's why they're fucking doing it like this, and so you know, and so so the fascists have asked chat GPT how to do tariffs, and what they got is again, so do they take the country's trade deficit and divide it by their total exports in the US? Now, this is nothing, right, like in economic terms.
Speaker 1: No, that's not how you do anything.
Speaker 8: This is this is not a real thing like this is this is like trying to measure someone's height by like dividing their favorite number by the average radius of an apple. Like it's literally at.
Speaker 1: You know, what are we what are you coming after me?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 8: Look?
Speaker 1: Just because I'm imagining so differently, Okay.
Speaker 8: There is no scientific basis, Robert for for for measuring height by dividing favorite number by apple radius. We simply must accept the truth of science.
Speaker 1: That's what you say, Joe Rogan, and I feel it differently.
Speaker 6: The dictatorship of chat GPT is just it's so bleak.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, it's just they they ask chat GPT.
Speaker 1: It's a mix of they don't actually care or think this will affect them, and also they legitimately think it's the smartest person in the world. Yeah yeah, it's smarter than them. Yeah, which is maybe a good thing, but not in this instant.
Speaker 8: Well, and you can tell the extent to which they were relying on this and didn't calculate themselves, because so after it started to spread that this is just how they were doing it, After James Turoreki like calculated it, the White House said no, no, no, no, no, hold on, no, no, no, that's not right. We use an actual complex formula, and so they released a fake formula. But I think about the formula, right, is it? The formula is just It is literally just trade deficit divided by total exports. But they threw in two random variables as Greek letters. But there's one on the top, and there's one of the numerator one of these denominator, and they're the same, so they can sell each other out.
Speaker 1: That sounds right to me.
Speaker 6: That's how you know they're smart. It's because they're using Greek letters.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 2: Which Greek letters did they use? And which person's fraternity does it represent?
Speaker 1: I don't even speak Greek letters, so they are They must be smarter than me, you know what. I rescind my complaints.
Speaker 8: This This is how the economy dies, not through tragedy but through farce.
Speaker 1: It's both.
Speaker 4: Yeah, tragic fuss, I think is what Marx cold it.
Speaker 1: A lot of people are gonna die, you know, And I mean, like, like.
Speaker 8: My actual serious line on this is that this is the great double bind of capitalism, is that we are all reliant simultaneously, We are reliant for our survival on the same economy that will make us all homeless, right is the same economy that we need to fucking eat every single day, that even in good times, this economy fucking strips from us the value of the labor we produce and hands us back a bunch of fucking scraps that pay for not enough of anything that we need. So even as our enemies, you know, terror part the system that exploits us, we are the fucking ones who's going to suffer. Deoliberalism finally has in Trump produced its own grave digger, And our fucking job and the job of every single one of us and every single person listening to this show is to make sure that we also aren't the ones thrown into this fucking grave. And this is going to require a kind of organizing that is in some ways like but in some ways unlike anything we've done before. We're about to experience a level of unbelievable economic chaos that we sort of saw dream twenty twenty. But during twenty twenty there was, you know, as bad as everything got, the state stepped in and decided to do welfare reforms, right like, they gave people a bunch of fucking money. Yeah, and it wasn't enough, but they did it now, none of that shit. He are the only people who are going to be able to keep each other alive. And that's what we have to be doing right now, is we have to be keeping each other alive until we are organized enough and we are powerful enough to fucking run these people out so they can't ever fuck us again like this, So.
Speaker 6: We can resurrect neoliberal globalism, we can restore free trade, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right, and bring it back to the Clinton era.
Speaker 5: Oh god.
Speaker 8: One last thing we should mention is that like this has already united the entire world against us effectively, people countries who have never worked together before in their entire existence are working together.
Speaker 1: And unfortunately, Poles also show Americans can distrust or tendency to view like Canadians and the EU as enemies is rising, both for Republicans and Democrats. Yeah, so that's great.
Speaker 2: That's great, cool, cool, cool, cool cul cuck cool.
Speaker 8: Yeah. And also, you know, and like the thing, the thing, the other thing that we have to do here, and this is this is literally our responsibility on this podcast and also responsibility of like fucking everyone who is having conversations with another person, is that this is entirely Trump's fault. He fucking did this, Like, oh yeah, this is not fucking the EU or whatever the fuck whoever's during retalitary show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is this is no one else ever wanted this.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah, no, like the people who put Trump in power didn't want this. This is just him and so yeah, the the the actual solution to this is all of us running this fucker out and not us getting drawn into his fucking bullshit wars with Canada or Greenland or whatever the fuck country he decides to invade in the next year. Is that all for tariff talk? Yeah, that's all we got on the terrace.
Speaker 1: I don't know what else to say. I mean, I I'm just looking at the numbers right now where the Dow Industrial is down a fifteen hundred points since the start of the day, So it's things are looking very good all of the lines. Like if you look at the way in which the line went down, there's like it's just this direct vertical drop on the third Yep, it's shocking.
Speaker 2: No, it is a ninety degree angle.
Speaker 8: It is legitimately, if you set the Google stock viewer thing to a one day view, the drop is so shocking that it looks like it just started down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it prompts you to turn your phone into other direction.
Speaker 1: I've never seen anything like it, but I guess no one has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I mean some of us. I guess people are still alive in the nineteen thirties. Yeah, yes, ye, Woody Guthrie.
Speaker 8: Has fucking grammar. I guess, like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. We did it in the nineteen thirties. It was bad then and dates bad now.
Speaker 6: Well, now now that we got those pesky tariffs out of the way, let's talk about the actual most important thing to happen this week in the news, New Jersey Senator Cory Booker has broken the record for the longest.
Speaker 8: Twenty five hours in five minutes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's horrible, beating.
Speaker 6: Strom Thurmon's filibuster of the nineteen fifty seven Civil Rights Bill by forty six minutes.
Speaker 1: We did it, volks, excellent, outstanding.
Speaker 2: Good. I'm just checking on ah Wall Street bets and they're having a real one today.
Speaker 8: That's pretty.
Speaker 4: I will say.
Speaker 8: I will say the thing about the Booker won. So if you were writing a parody of the Democratic Party, you would write that Corey Booker did this, and like did the did this philibuster and then immediately turned around and voted yes for a cloture vote to allow Trump to appoint another nominee. And that's exactly what they did. Yeah, we can't even you can't peroy to them. It's beyond parody. I like astounding, it's astonishing.
Speaker 6: It's not even a filibuster. He's not filibuster or anything.
Speaker 2: We didn't he didn't actively stop anything happening other than people not paying attention to it.
Speaker 1: I got a response from someone being like, well, you know, they didn't get to do anything on Monday, and I was like, yeah, they weren't really planning on it, and things continued as normal Tuesday.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Yeah, And you know, and here's the thing about that, right, like, do you know how many Democrats there are in the Senate? Do you know how many hours you could filibuster them for if you were actually determined to fucking do this, and on how many different things? We had a rotating series of Democrats.
Speaker 2: Yeah, show it if you tag teamed it.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but they're not They're not willing to fucking do it.
Speaker 1: No, and they'd be stopped eventually. The Republicans would do something fucked up to stop it. But at least you'd have tried.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and people would maybe take some fucking energy from that.
Speaker 8: And even if you were gonna do this as a fucking show vote thing, you could have voted no one the cloture motion to like fucking do the to like appoint the next nominee. But they're just like no, fuck you man.
Speaker 6: The fact that Chuck Schumber caved on the Republican budget from a few weeks ago and secretly got a number of Democratic senators to switch their votes to make it pass, and no one did this for that which which previously Democrats were talking about this budget bill like it's the worst thing to ever happen because it is.
Speaker 8: A bad bill. Yeah, it's really bad.
Speaker 6: And then they just caved last minute, or specifically Schumer and the people he talked to caved, and Schumer definitely would not have been in supportive of Booker doing something like this for that bill. But now Schumer gets to applaud along as as Booker delivers a twenty five hour maybe like well orated speech.
Speaker 1: But it was a very well written speech, like technically it was good, but that didn't matter.
Speaker 8: It's just this pure show of like symbolic theater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's the point.
Speaker 1: It's like if a congress person got out and conducted like a perfect rendition of the Nutcracker like symphony of like the ballet portion of that on their own in front of like the Capitol building. Like, well, it's impressive, it's spectacle. Like you're clearly very good at what you're doing. But it didn't change anything, Like it had no impact on the problems. Right, Yeah, like you're good. I'll give you that. Corey Booker can deliver a fucking speech, but that was really not what I was looking for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fiddling impressively while roam burned. Thanks Corey.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and every single moment the Trump is in power, the way that they fucking just rolled over for him looks worse and worse.
Speaker 1: Knowledge he said, I failed, and so did we. We didn't rise to the moment, and we let this horrible thing happen, which I even I got a little briefly, Oh shit, maybe he actually recognizes like.
Speaker 6: No, okay, well, because it took him like twenty hours to like break emotionally to the point where he could like admit that to himself.
Speaker 1: No knowledge, his deep, deep deep failed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but like it took having your brain be be shattered by this like pretty impressive physical act that like destroys your body. So in spirit and anyway, I think that's all we have to say about that. Let's go on and add break and come back to discuss more sad and I'll actually also possibly good news or at least bad for Elon Musk, which is good for us.
Speaker 8: All Right, we are back.
Speaker 6: I think let's pivot to James Stout for an update on Venezuela. Well, no El Salvador, Salvador the torture labor prison.
Speaker 8: James m M.
Speaker 2: Of course, we have to begin my segment today by saying, tros be to Abdullah Ojulen, whose birthday it is on the day that you are hearing this. So if you want to plant, if you want to plant a tree for APPO, get it, get out there and plant your tree. Unfortunately, that is the only good news we have to Border Patrol has spent most of this week touting the quote lowest number of border crossings in history. It will shock listeners to hear that this is not historically accurate. Bordering counters are way down. If there's one thing that I have ever taught you. It is that bordering counters are not the same as unique individuals, because people are being sent directly back to Mexico and will tend to return attempting a different route crossing the border. Right, there's our way down. And they're the lowest since they began publishing monthly data in two thousand, but numbers will way lower in the fifties and sixties and before then. It's relatively immaterial. It's just sort of a nipiggy point. I guess today, what I really want to talk about is the case of mister Kilmar Abrador Garcia. He was removed by the Trump administration to Elsa aberdoor to SECOT in a way they have admitted was a mistake. So we have to go back a little bit to understand mister Abergo Garcia's story and how we got here. He was arrested in mid March due to the United States mcclaimed that he played a quote prominent role in MS thirteen M thirteen being the Salvadorrean gang. Right he'd come to the United States in twenty eleven. He was fleeing gang violence. He was allegedly arrested in twenty nineteen outside a home depot where he was standing with other men looking for work. However, the incident report for that particular incident gives other names, but not his. At that point, a Prince George's County Police Department detective filled out a quote gang worksheet and claimed that mister Abergagarcia was associated with a member of MS thirteen. The evidence he cited for this was a Chicago bulls hoodie and the claim of a confidential informant. The competition informant claimed that he was part of a group within this gang that was set up in a state that mister Abergagarcia had never lived in the United States. In twenty nineteen, Ice argued that he shouldn't be given bond because of this alleged gang membership right, and so he wasn't given bond, but through an asylum claim. Although he didn't get asylum, he was protected from removal right, so a judge ruled that he couldn't be removed back to El Salvador, where he would presumably face violence. When mister abergo Garcia's lawyers tried to interview the police detective who had filed this report, accusing him of gang membership. They found no record of his rest and that the detective has been suspended since then. The Department of question also settled a lawsuit with its own corps over racism in the department.
Speaker 8: JD.
Speaker 2: Vance, who has a law degree. Right the JD is I guess before and after his name. He has a law degree from Harvard has claimed that mister Ablergo Garcia is a convicted member of MS thirteen. This is not true. I can't find any evidence he has any conviction of any kind. I'm going to quote here from a filing by the United States government on the fifteenth of March. Although Ice was aware of his protection from removal to El Salvador, Abergo Garcia was removed to El Salvador because of an admis innstrative error. So the government there has admitted in the court finally that they accidentally sent this guide to the prison labor camp in El Salvador. Right, according to ice acting field Officer Robert Cerner quote, he was an alternate as others were removed from the flight for various reasons. He moved up the list and was assigned to the flight. So it appears that they had a large list of people they wanted to put on this flight. This is interesting, right, It's an insight into their process for filling that first flight that they some people they really didn't feel they had enough evidence for. But somehow this guy, who again has never been convicted of having any membership of any gang, they put on this flight. Right. His wife and child are both US citizens, and they have sued in court. That's why we're seeing this. Right. They've sued for the United States government to stop paying El Salvador for his detention and for the United States government to demand he returned. Vance has advanced a kind of unique legal theory response, claiming that withholding of removal only prevent someone being deported back to the home state. I mean you could, technically that is what the withholding is, right, Like, it's like, he can't go back to El Salvador because he will be at risk in El Salvador, so so they can deport him to a third state. But they deported him to El Salvador or renditioned him to El Salvador. Right. I want to read JD. Vance's post here. I'm not going to read the whole thing, but I'll start with the second paragraph in twenty nineteen. Immigration judge parentheses under the Biden administration. For those of you who are familiar with dates, it's twenty nineteen. Was under the first Trump administration. That that was the Strong administration. Yeah, moving on, determined that the deported man was, in fact a member of the MS thirteen gang. He also apparently had multiple traffic violations for which he failed to appear in court. A real winner. It is telling that the entire American media is going to run a propaganda operation today making you think that an innocent quote father of three was apprehended by a gula father.
Speaker 8: Of threes in quotes here by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And gulags generally not capable of doing the apprehensions themselves. If we think of a gulag as a place, is the police who are apprehend the person send them to the gulag. Moving on, here are the relevant facts. I'm still quoting. The man is an illegal immigrant with no right to be in our country. Obviously, the judge determined that he was protected from removal. Quoting again, and immigration judge during the Biden I've been determined he was a member of the MS thirteen gang. Again, that's not the case.
Speaker 8: It's staggering the extent to which they can say a sentence where every single individual word is a lie, like stunning.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: The fact that so many members of the Modern Republican Party have like memory hold twenty nineteen and twenty twenty as being under the Biden in administration is just insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's bizarre. I think what they're referring to is that the initial hearing right where he was denied bomb within twenty nineteen, and then he filed his asylum claim and later was protected from removal. But that's not what saying here.
Speaker 6: But like even the way they talk about, like the COVID response, they talk about it as if Joe Biden was the president.
Speaker 1: They're not gonna lock us down again, but you locked us down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, who did that? And then the last one, I think it's most rebelatory because he's not a citizen, he does not get full jury trial by peers. In other words, whatever due process he was entitled to he received, the immigration court doesn't generally present the opportunity for jury trial. Right once again, holds a JdE and he presumably knows this. What's more disturbing is the claim made by the United States government in its filing in this lawsuit that the Abergo Garcia family filed quote, because plaintiffs conceived that Abergogarcia is not in the United States custody, this court cannot hear these claims. So they're claiming that no US court has jurisdiction over the question of these people who are in El Salvador because they're not in US custody, right, which, obviously, if they stick the landing on this, it suggests like it is a one way ticket to the prison labor camp, right that that you cannot challenge that in US court and you ain't going to get very far in in court elsauwud all right, So what they're suggesting here is this is this is a forever detention that that there is no habeas right that that was they were asking for habeas corpus.
Speaker 8: Can you spen my habest corpus actually is for the listeners.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it means bring me the body, right in this case is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have to present evidence in order to charge like convict people and things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like the snaqua non of having a justice system, a criminal justice right, like show something. Yeah, you can't just be like bad man and then put the guy in jail.
Speaker 1: The most basic thing is that like, yeah, I mean in literal terms, it means you have to like actually take somebody in front of a court in order to determine if they're like being detained for a reason, right, Like a judge has to see them and say, like, yes, this is this is not an unlawful imprisonment. There is a charge, there is some degree of evidence that somebody did something.
Speaker 2: Right, which they have not provided here, right.
Speaker 1: Not that like you can prove they did it, but like something was done and you are here for that for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so in this case, we don't have any of that. Mister Ablogacia is still the way his family found out he was in second was that his wife identified him by scars on his head when they shaved it and a tattoo they.
Speaker 8: Saw Jesus Christy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had no idea. It presumably doesn't come up on the ice detainee locator. You know that you're going to look up your family members on if your family members are detained by I doesn't have l Salvador as an option. So yeah, this is where we're at. This is the case I will be following right because I say it's pretty pivotal if they can argue that the court doesn't have jurisdiction. Obviously, I'm sure at that point that ruling will be challenged and it will run up the courts. Currently it seems like the only court they're going to listen to is a Supreme Court. But evidently that this is what they're going for, Like this is their argument here that once you're in El Salvador, out of their hands and they can't do anything. So sorry, even though it's a mistake, you have stuck there forever, which is pretty disturbing.
Speaker 6: Yesterday, me and James did an episode on ICE's targeting of students, scholars, and professors that they believe are associated with pro Palace time protests. So we did an update on that story that I did a peace on or a segment on last week on Executive Disorder. So for a follow up on that, you can look to yesterday's episode. But we are going to close with I guess kind of a feel good story because it makes Elon Musk sad. He has had a bit a bit of a rough week for mister Musk's businesses and his political projects. I guess Elon Musk's efforts to buy the Wisconsin Supreme Court have failed, as the Democratic backed candidate swept the election, maintaining four to three Liberal control of the Supreme Court of Wisconsin.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean the gist of it is of like three or four days ago, all of my friends from who are Scanies got furious because Elon Musk wore a cheesehead, you know, like the ones for the packers that the people from Wisconsin ware when they're at games while he got up on stage and gave a million dollars. Basically immediately before, like about little less than a week ago, a higher court ruled that it was not bribery for him to offer people a million dollars at random if they voted or showed up at like you know, different rallies and stuff, which is like what he's been doing, right, is making these basically fake offers of a million dollars because these two went to members of the local Republican party, like it was clearly set up.
Speaker 8: The head of the College Republicans.
Speaker 6: Of Wisconsin, amazing must fish twenty five million dollars leads on this race. He danced around on stage wearing a cheesehead, and he gave out million dollar novelty checks to quote unquote voters who won a contest by signing his petition against activist judges, which has been the new rally and cry on the right is that everything that's going wrong, everything that's stopping Trump, is from these active studges that we have to unseat. He also gave one hundred dollars each to every person who signed that petition, and on election Day, Musk offered voters fifty dollars if they posted a picture of a Wisconsin resident outside of a polling place.
Speaker 8: How is that allowed?
Speaker 6: These are the same people who scream about like election interference, rigging elections, buying elections for the elections, ed like, like this is insane stuff. You can go to jail for giving people a water bottle in line at polling places in multiple states, and Musk is allowed to give people fifty dollars for pictures posted outside of polling places. What the fuck is happening? But luckily, the negative polarization against Musk and Tesla that's been increasing the past few months has resulted in Judge SUVN. Crawford beating the mega had Republican judge who last year went as Donald Trump for Halloween, beating this guy by by ten percent. This was a massive, a massive reversal of the twenty twenty four persential election results in Wisconsin. There was a record high turnout for this spring election, forty percent higher than the last Wisconsin Supreme Court election, which was in twenty twenty three, which which.
Speaker 8: By the way, that was that was also a high turner election too.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 8: Like that that previous one. Then this one just fucking obliterated it.
Speaker 6: Like this was like just under the results of like what you would expect to out of like a midterm election.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: They shifted every single county in the state blue compared to the twenty twenty four presidential election, and on average by about ten to twelve points, massive, massive shifts.
Speaker 8: And this was before the tariffs, by the way. Yeah, like this this was before the terror.
Speaker 2: No, this was pure personal dislike of Elon musk meddling in Wisconsin politics. Well like and everything else has happened since January, but like it does seem like Elon Musk's personal presence was a net negative and all the money he spent Luckily.
Speaker 6: The next day there was a Tesla sales report which was one of the worst in the history of their company, of fifty percent of fewer vehicles being delivered in the first three months compared to last year, with Tesla's stock continuing to plunge the past week, although with reports that that Musk might exit the inner circle of the Trump administration. Yeah, those stocks are kind of flipping back and forth as he's expected to return to his company.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and who know, like a lot of that's clearly the tariffs.
Speaker 6: Well yes, and then with the tariffs, this is a whole other.
Speaker 2: Issue, real double whammy for Tesla.
Speaker 1: The reporting is that people around Trump have largely soured on Musk. Who knows how true that is. There's always a lot of reports from the Trump inner circle that are, like, I don't know, it's yeah, he's always had a very leaky yeah, but and I can see it being multi causal. Like Musk has failed badly in Wisconsin. The kind of suspicion right now is that Schibble or whatever his name is was down about five points relative to other MANGA candidates in the same election, which people are attributing largely to Musk's intervention.
Speaker 6: Well, and like they were testing out if he was like a stable, consistent, reliable political operator, or if what he did in twenty twenty four was kind of like a one off event, if he's like a one trick tony there, and this complete, like devastating loss demonstrated that maybe this unstable drug addict no offense to a specifically for Elon Musk, who's railing ketemene all the time and trying to run the entire world. Luckily, Luckily, my friends who might indulge in kedymene don't try to run the entire world.
Speaker 1: You say that now, but you'll you'll get older at some point.
Speaker 4: It's it's the have midlife crisis too.
Speaker 6: But he was showed in like a very public way to be to be like an unstable political force. And and yeah, that's going to turn some of some of the people in the Trump admins against him.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 6: Anyway, that's I think that's all I have to say about this. Wisconsin, Rightisconsin, Rice, Sorry.
Speaker 1: All right, well I think that's probably an episode.
Speaker 8: Wait shit, hold on, I just I just found the funniest fucking thing about this terriff I think I've seen yet from fucking.
Speaker 7: Wait, locking Jack JASP, locking, locking, locking JASP.
Speaker 1: Okay, we're back.
Speaker 8: Apparently the tariffs are not broken down by country. This is quote from this guy of the effects on Twitter. They're not broken down by country, They're broken down by top level inn that domain. It's why the island's populated entirely by penguins the dot hm domain. And why the Diego Garcia military base.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, like fucking McDonald's island.
Speaker 8: Yeah yeah yeah. And why why Renion Gibraltar oliced sid when did yeah?
Speaker 1: Like yah? What love Reunion is part of France? Why are we hitting these guys? Okay, that makes sense. That that that is that that is what a nineteen year old who never went to college, my god, but thinks he's he understands all of reality would do. Okay, great dictatorship of Chad GVT. Fucking phenomenal, My fucking god, unbelievable.
Speaker 8: Look look, okay. The note I want to close on is that so podcaster Mike Duncan, the creator of the Revolutions podcast, a man who has spent literally tens of thousands of hours writing about like every revolution that's ever happened. At the end of the original run of the series, revolutions. He he makes this point, which is that all revolutions work because they encounter you encounter one of the great idiots of history, a man who is blessed with with the the the inalienable ability to make the wrong decision at every single time. And my god, if we can't beat these motherfuckers, like if that shit's entirely on us, because we have been handed one of the greatest idiots of history that has ever existed in the history of humanity. And our fucking job now is to turn that into fucking a better world, to do.
Speaker 1: Something, yeah, something, Yeah, we'll see. The problem is that there's a lot of greater idiots out there, and they are they all do still have guns and money. One of the great tragedies of the world is that very very stupid people can still fire guns. We made them too easy, folks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen I've seen that happen a couple of times. Yeah, in the old conduct of my work.
Speaker 1: Anyway, all right, well, we reported the news. We reported the news. Now you go out there and you know what, find someone who lives on the Isle of McDonald near the Arctic and kick their ass today.
Speaker 8: Fuck them up.
Speaker 1: Fuck that Island.
Speaker 2: Do trade with the penguin pay ten percent?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, send us a picture of you fighting a penguin and we'll get to make sure you get a hat or something.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll send you so much.
Speaker 5: We reported the news.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the Universe.
Speaker 10: It Could Happen Here is a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website foolzonmedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can now find sources for It Could Happen Here listened directly in episode descriptions.
Speaker 8: Thanks for listening.