Speaker 1: Second date, up date.
Speaker 2: Have you ever been on the way to a date and had something happen that almost seems unbelievable and you have to tell your date, Hey, sorry that I'm late, but a cobra bit me on the subway ride over and I had to have a homeless.
Speaker 1: Guy suck out the poison.
Speaker 2: Had that exact story happened to me several times? Actually, lots of subway snakes around here lately.
Speaker 1: The city really should do.
Speaker 3: Something about not Google search that term.
Speaker 2: I bring it up because one of our listeners said he had a crazy thing happened to him on the way to his date, and he's pretty sure it's the reason he's not getting a call back.
Speaker 1: His name is Ted, So Ted, welcome to the show man.
Speaker 4: Thank you, guys man. How are you doing today?
Speaker 5: Do we need to suck out any venom out of like a fire or anything.
Speaker 4: She's very eager to do it, So, no poison.
Speaker 1: Different situation that happened on the way to your date? What was it?
Speaker 4: It's completely unbelievable. It's a little long, so let me just jump right into it. I was going to go on a date with a girl named Amy. We met online, like you typically do nowadays. And we've been talking for a while. I mean, we had great conversation. We really liked each other.
Speaker 3: So you're excited, you're looking.
Speaker 4: To so pumped up for this date. So I'm driving there and I get a call from my mother and she said, Honey, I'm stuck. I'm stranding downtown. My tire is blown and I don't have uber or any of those stuff like that, So could you come get me?
Speaker 2: So you told us.
Speaker 4: No, I want to stay in the will.
Speaker 1: But you're on the way to a date.
Speaker 4: Though, Yes, but it's my mother. What kind of guy would I be if I left my mom's stranded?
Speaker 3: It's true? Okay, So is it gonna make you super late? Did you call your date and let her know?
Speaker 4: Well, that's the thing. Me and Amy had been planning this date for weeks and I did not want to mess this up. So I had a choice to make. So I could just pick my mom up and drop her home and be really late and missed out on this date. Or I could take mom with me.
Speaker 3: Oh, we put that in the option.
Speaker 1: That should not be in the option.
Speaker 3: Do I feel like you went with option B?
Speaker 6: Yeah, laughing, there we go.
Speaker 3: Let us know.
Speaker 4: So here's what happened. Man, I have to take my mom with me. It's gonna sound bad, but I made my mom sit at another table.
Speaker 3: Yes, oh yeah, that's not bad.
Speaker 1: You leave her in the car.
Speaker 3: It's like dogs. You can't do that.
Speaker 2: You crack the window for crack the window, turn on the AC. You actually brought her into the restaurant with you.
Speaker 4: I did, but we were like separate. So when I met Amy at the restaurant, she didn't see that I was with my mom, So I said, Mom, sit another table. My mom agreed. She understood what was going on.
Speaker 5: But did it change like how you acted knowing that your mom could see you in the room?
Speaker 4: Oh totally. And Amy can see that I'm completely distracted, Like she could see something off my mind.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she probably thought you were checking out some older woman as you're looking.
Speaker 4: Back on my God. Luckily she didn't think that. But she just came out and said, hey, is something Okay, you look a little distracted.
Speaker 2: Okay, you can tell you were off and bro, she doesn't know you, so that's a bad sign.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, did you confess?
Speaker 4: So I didn't want to lie to her because we're just getting to know one another at all. So I just wanted to be honest at that point, and I was like, listen, this is gonna sound crazy.
Speaker 3: I'm pard of that.
Speaker 4: I said, my mom's here at the restaurant and I told her what happened, and she thought that was really sweet, Like you picked your mom.
Speaker 5: Up, funny you and you were conscious about it.
Speaker 3: It's not like you sat down with your mom. I love it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: So so what happens, Well, what do you expect? Amy's a nice girl. So she went over and said, Hi, I'm Amy loves Amy.
Speaker 5: We had to get Amy back on the phone just for mommy.
Speaker 4: She does because Amy invited my mom to come back to our table and we ended up having dinner together.
Speaker 7: I love it.
Speaker 1: Now I am cringing over here.
Speaker 2: Everybody else thinks of It's like the sweetest story ever. If my mom was on a first date with me, it doesn't matter if it was an emergency, a sweet story that would be the end of the romances. Are you supposed to flirt in front of your mom?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I know this is gonna sound nuts, but my mom the perfect wingman. Oh my god, she made me sound to me, I wanted to date me, oh.
Speaker 3: Mom, but okay, so get a little over the top though.
Speaker 5: Did she ask your date questions or did it turn into like a presentation about you, mom?
Speaker 1: She may steal your date.
Speaker 4: It turned into like a power point about me and how great her son is.
Speaker 2: You think that he dresses well? You should see him kiss.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like there's an okay amount of time with mom? Like she could come over for a little bit, but not like hours.
Speaker 1: It could be all wholesome and zero romance exactly. So, I mean, how do you think it went? Overall?
Speaker 4: We ended up having a really great time. At the end of the day, I actually hug Amy. I don't want to kiss her or make out with her in front of my mother. Yeah it was nice, and Amy said she had a great time. But then I get a text the next day out of nowhere. She says, I'm sorry, I didn't really feel a romantic spark, and I'm like, of course she didn't feel a romantic spark. I was on a date with you, and my mother like, yeah, weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you feel like you didn't get a fair shot to show her the romantic spark.
Speaker 1: Serious, I didn't.
Speaker 4: If she gives me another chance, I really think I can knocket out of the park.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like this, Yeah, thank you, Crazy, We're gonna at least attempt to get you a second date here. Maybe your mom needs to show up on all of your break down more often less often.
Speaker 1: I guess it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: Well, but it didn't work for him, But let's try and come back and get you your second date. Update with any right after this thank you second date update.
Speaker 8: Stay tuned to TLC the Learning Channel Let's Learn. Coming up next, Cake Horse and at nine Super Quick Weddings followed by the Divorce Horse.
Speaker 2: And you know what's missing from that lineup is the new TLC dating show Wing Moms, premiering Wednesdays at nine Central, eight Pacific.
Speaker 1: I definitely watched the episode.
Speaker 3: Your Mom, Jeff watch.
Speaker 2: Out held Hands while watching that show, because if you missed the first part. Real quick our listener Ted had to bring his mom along on his first date because she got stranded with a blown.
Speaker 1: Tire emergency situation.
Speaker 2: Mom ends up eating dinner with Ted and his date Amy. Afterwards, he gets a text from Amy saying she had a nice time but just didn't feel the romantic spark there.
Speaker 5: Okay, I think it's really important to note that his date, Amy is the one that invited the mom over to the table, like that makes a huge difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that makes it romantic, you're but the fact that she said she didn't feel a romantic spark that sucks. But I would be worried if she said she did feel the romantic spark with the mom there. That's why Ted would like to do a redo without his mother there talking him up and tucking his napkin into his shirt and wiping the ketchup off.
Speaker 1: Of his face.
Speaker 2: That's why he's here for a second chance, because he knows that really happened, didn't it.
Speaker 4: Ted, It did not. It didn't go that far.
Speaker 5: Hey, have you told your mom that Amy said that it's not gonna work?
Speaker 3: Is your mom disappointed?
Speaker 1: She's kind of invested.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't alle she was.
Speaker 4: On the date. Yeah, she's a little disappointed too.
Speaker 5: Back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please don't involve your mom this much in your dating life. I don't know why everybody wants the mom to be so involved, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I wonder you just know she will insert herself in the situation. Okay, she sounds adorable.
Speaker 2: Really, it's projecting about how our relationship with our moms are. All right, Well, let's give this a shot. I'm gonna call Amy right now. Hello, Hi, is this Amy?
Speaker 7: This is Amy.
Speaker 1: Hey.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry to bother you, but you're on the radio right now. No, yeah, I know. It's kind of weird. We're called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning and we're doing this segment. It's called a second Date Update. One of our listeners named Ted reached out to us because he went on a date with you, and I would like to see you again.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's really cute.
Speaker 5: There's a really cute reason he really likes you.
Speaker 2: Hold on, Brooke, coming on a little strong here, because well, yes, because we know we know Amy that you sent him a text saying that you're not interested.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know this is a lot.
Speaker 2: That I'm telling you right now, but I just want to get it out of the way because we heard the story from Ted. He feels bad about the way that the night played out with his mom being there. He's worried that that may have been the reason that the romantic spark didn't happen.
Speaker 7: Yeah, so well, uh, this is You're right, this is a lot.
Speaker 5: He did say, I mean, he really applauded how cool you were, how you're the one that invited the mom over, Like you sounded like super flexible that night, super understanding, which was totally awesome.
Speaker 7: Oh thanks, I mean I'll make of a jerk. Oh your mom's here. We'll just let us sit in the corner and eat soup and you're at us.
Speaker 3: I think a lot of people would do that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 6: A nice night and it was really cool and right, but you can you can understand why there wouldn't be a romantic spark happening with his mother sitting directly next to you.
Speaker 3: It wasn't able to put his moves on, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Like that was the text that you sent to him, that you didn't feel the spark. We're not sure if that's really fair, though, you'd like a chance to like do it over again without mom.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, so here's the thing. Yeah, there wasn't a I didn't feel it romantic chemistry or you know, that spark. But that didn't mean that I didn't ever want to talk to him again. But then I get this text from a number I didn't recognize, and it says you should really ate my son.
Speaker 1: Wait, mom, text.
Speaker 3: Did you get that text before? After you texted about the romantic spark?
Speaker 4: After?
Speaker 3: After?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, so he went and are you thinking he went and talked to his mom and then the mom stepped in.
Speaker 7: I wasn't true at the time, but then they just kept coming.
Speaker 3: And oh god, what else did she say?
Speaker 7: It turned into a complete presentation, her telling him to me and after like turn texts. I guess I wasn't giving her the answer that she wanted because she called me.
Speaker 6: Yeah what wait to teck In?
Speaker 1: Did you text that?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 1: How okay? Now this is sounding more like my mom.
Speaker 3: You're not wrong. He is going to be mortified.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Well, because the part of this that you don't know, Amy is that Ted is actually listening to this phone call right now.
Speaker 1: He's waiting on the other line wanting to talk to you, isn't.
Speaker 3: I'm dying on the inside for Ted right now.
Speaker 5: I don't even know it.
Speaker 4: Did he put her up to it?
Speaker 1: Or yeah, well he's there, I think Are you there?
Speaker 4: Yes, I am here. I am dying inside. I am so embarrassed. Oh, I had no idea that my mom was texting you.
Speaker 2: Did you talk to your mom that you got the text from Amy saying that she wasn't interested.
Speaker 4: I'm sure I mentioned it, but I didn't go into detail about it. I mean, oh my god, I know my mom. Oh my gosh, she's done this before. My mom. I'm on her I'm on her cell phone plan, so she has like gotten access to my text messages before.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she can you text.
Speaker 3: Phone plan? There is as we shame you for it all the time.
Speaker 5: Oh no, they're just jealous and your's reading your text.
Speaker 4: Apparently she did because I never gave her Amy's phone numbers, so that's the only way she'd be able to talk to her.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, so Amy, Amy, Ted didn't tell this mom to reach out to you.
Speaker 1: She did that totally on her own.
Speaker 4: Amy. I am so sorry that my mom, who likes to butt her nose into my business from time to time, was over zealous and reached out to you. It was uncalled for and it was wrong. I'm so sorry, Amy, Ted.
Speaker 7: Didn't she she called me a bitch.
Speaker 6: Why aren't you apologizing for that?
Speaker 4: Of course, I'm sorry my mother did that. You are the complete opposite of a b You are awesome, Amy. The bottom line, my mom just wants the best for me. Ultimately, Yes, did she go too far? Absolutely, Sometimes she gets fired up and she loses it and goes too far, like you'll get used to it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm kind of going to gives the.
Speaker 1: Tells you that you're gonna get used to somebody's That's the thing.
Speaker 2: Most women don't get along with their boyfriend's mothers.
Speaker 1: Brook.
Speaker 5: I get along with her well, but you don't.
Speaker 1: Call each other the B word every once in a while, and not to each other but behind each other's by, Like.
Speaker 3: I love my mother in law. I just need a full state separation.
Speaker 7: I mean it's I guess it's better to find out in advance what you're stepping into getting really involved with somebody else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I do think the mom probably had really high hopes for you and Ted being a good couple, so she was just reacting to what happened.
Speaker 5: I think you.
Speaker 2: Were the one who was on the mom's side and thought it was so cute at the start of this, and now you're college moms call people, Okay, that's talk.
Speaker 3: I think that the good thing.
Speaker 5: I think that the good thing is is that this is not Ted's behavior, right, this is this is mom's behavior.
Speaker 3: Not in a relationship with Mom. You're in a relationship with Ted.
Speaker 1: And if you're going to deal.
Speaker 2: With the mom, if she comes back at the Thanksgiving dinner table, I'm sure Mom would say I'm sorry for what she said and you just have to.
Speaker 1: Meet up with him one more time.
Speaker 2: We'd love to pay for that second meet up if you're open to it, Amy.
Speaker 7: I think everything is moving super fast.
Speaker 5: Okay, how about just yes to a date, not to Thanksgiving.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guess if we can promise that Mom won't be with us.
Speaker 4: In no, she won't, she.
Speaker 2: Won't, No, no, no, Ted is leaving her on the side of the road with her flat tire and that stuff.
Speaker 1: She's walking home.
Speaker 4: Ted is getting his mom triple a.
Speaker 2: Amy, I think he made a good chow there, giving him one more shot.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm so happy. Thank you guys, and thank you Amy. I can't wait to talk to you alone.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I thought you were saying that about Alexis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, her too. It's looking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 2: You think she was just being nice there at the end to get off the call, because we do so many of these where the person says yes, but then I don't know if they're actually going to go out.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think they'll go out again, but really yeah, I mean, if the mom contacts her again, it's over.
Speaker 2: I just think this is always going to be in the back of her head. That is going to be the future with the mother. At some day it's going to come up again. How do you ever recover from you? You have to have an unbelievably amazing relationship with the dad, balance friends with the father. He did seem like a really nice guy, So maybe his dad is just superman.
Speaker 3: His mom did something right. Yeah, raise a good guy.
Speaker 4: That's true.
Speaker 2: It worked out, she said, yes, and maybe it'll work out for you no matter who your parents are.
Speaker 1: Just email the show.
Speaker 2: We'll call that person who's not calling you back, and you can go check out all of our second Day podcast wherever you get yours at Brook and Jeffrey
Speaker 4: Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning