Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Jerrel Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Pania, and Bobby Canavali. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: Welcome in What's Right with Nick Great Episode two thirty one, after one of the best nights of basketball in recent NBA history. Also, you know, not shockingly, probably I was, you know, feel in some type of way this morning. That's a gut wrenching law. There are two teams in the NBA that I have a personal connection to, the Sixers and the Lakers, where I have a real personal relationship to either people on the team or running the team or involved in the team. And they both lost last night in excruciating fashion. So not shockingly, if you know me, little trouble sleeping. Had those those dreams that you have typically when like you're kind of at least for me, when you're you know you're making bad decisions in life, or your life is like spiraling out of control, or you're worried. It might be like you're driving a car and you don't have control of the car and it just keeps accelerating. I used to have those dreams all the time when I was a maniac. I didn't have those exact dreams. Instead, I had like the adult version of like super angsty, hard to sleep dreams. Because I love sports, there are a couple of teams I really root for on a personal and professional level, and they both had their gut ripped out last night. So we'll get into all of that, but I want to say something to you, the listeners, because I got a smile this morning when I walked in to Trentage where we do the podcast, and someone had slipped through the grate of the you know the gate a letter. I thought it was a letter. It says I'll hold it up right here. It says Nick Wright, Trentage with the address of the store, and it's a letter from Dallas from I guess I'm not going to give their last name, but Trey and Dalon or Dylan, I apologize. I think it's Daylan and what it is, and I'll cover up. The important info is a wedding in vatation to a wedding in Dallas that is in a few weeks that they know I can't go to because I said months ago I'm the best type of person to invite to your wedding because I won't go, but I'll send a gift. So, Trey and Dalen, when you get those air tags that were on your registry, they're from your buddy Nick, right. I saw the nice little four pack of air tags. They actually I even did same day delivery they're getting. You'll get them today and it's awesome. Pro tip if if I don't know Trey and Dalen, because I don't know you people, if you have a dog or a pet, get for their collar an air tag holder and put the air tag on it. Because micro chipping dogs is not gpsing dogs, it's just micro chipping them. Someone still got to find the dog, so you don't ever afterwards. So if you ever years from now, your dog away and you're able to find him, it'll be because you listen to my advice for months ago, which was, hey, invite me to a wedding if I'm you know, in a good mood, or even just you know, feeling like I want to do something nice, or lost enough money betting on the Lakers money line last night, my first bet since the Super Bowl. Then I'm like, ah, what's another one hundred bucks, Go ahead and do it. I was so confident the Lakers are gonna win. I'm out here buying demand's great seats to tonight's Clippers MAVs game. Wish I could rescind that transaction. I'm feeling they're up twenty. I'm like, I got this at plus two eighty. Oh my god, I don't need the points. The Lakers got this, and it was all going according to plan, until, of course it wasn't. So we'll get to that. We'll get to the sixers, and we'll get to what is a legitimate changing of the guard in the NBA, which I think is actually the most interesting thing happening in this postseason, and I don't think anyone has quite explained how stark it is. We'll do that here in the next twenty minutes.
Speaker 3: Or so.
Speaker 2: But first, here's what missed the cut Ben Stiller dresses is Kelly Hubray, Tom Brady's getting roasted on Netflix, and Travis Kelcey evidently has two songs on the new Taylor Swift album I'm not Fit Listen. I love Travis. I'm happy for him and Taylor. I don't know enough about music to know anything about Taylor Swift's new album. But that's fine, demons. Let's get to the actual, you know, events that matter here.
Speaker 4: Yes, the Lakers threw everything that they had at the Nuggets. He got great minutes from Anthony Davis and Lebron James D'Angelo Russell started off the game five for five from the three point but still came down to a final shot from Jamal Murray. Unfortunately, with all the premature gloating that you did, do you think you feel partly responsible for their loss?
Speaker 2: No, So before we get to anything else, let's talk about why the Lakers lost. So let me on the front end say the biggest reason the Lakers lost. The biggest reason the Lakers lost is because and I understand some folks now get get no, listen, Ruey had a rough game. That's not it though I'm not gonna do that, and I know some folks feel like I'm not even like allowed to have this opinion because of my previous opinions. But if you can't be presented with mountains of new evidence and then change how you feel about things, then why exist in the world? Then why you know to watch things, read things, learn things whatever. The biggest reason the Lakers lost.
Speaker 3: That game.
Speaker 2: Is because Jokich is that dude.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I thought Anthony Davis played an awesome game and Joker damn near had a thirty twenty and ten. Uh, you look disconcerted by what I said, demanse the org.
Speaker 4: I mean definitely, he definitely is, and he just does some some stuff that that you've never seen before.
Speaker 2: There's just no and right because I was like, oh, ads.
Speaker 4: Threw off the glass like to his teammate, and I think it was totally planned.
Speaker 2: I don't know, So I don't that part. I don't think was planned, but I think he was smart enough to know I've got to just get it up and then see what happens. Like nothing worse is gonna happen. So there are so the A one reason is right now, the like the Nuggets have the guy. And when you have the guy, even when Jamal Murray going into that final shot is eight of twenty three, even when d lo is cooking, even when Ad is having a great game and Lebron is having an old school Uh, an old school. And by the way, I evidently texted, I sent the wrong text to I sent a text to the group chat, uh that I didn't oh the oh never mind, I didn't send her text to the group chat. A group chat found the wedding website for the people I sent the but we'll keep that private. The so as I was saying, even when Lebron I thought had a great game and paced himself well, like to where he was just distributing early so he had more in the tank late, Uh did all of that? When the Nuggets cut it to two, Lebron hit back to back threes, then had those big time drives at the end of the game, and it wasn't enough because Yo Kitch's greatness kept in the game. And then this So the first reason is something the Nuggets did employ Nikolejokic. The second reason is, and this is this is when if you had bet on the Lakers, if you're rooting for the Lakers. If you were being honest, you were nervous. That's second half of the third quarter was utterly disastrous again, second straight game. They got annihilated in the second half of the third quarter, stopped running offense after it seemed like that Lebron a d high pick and roll, there was no answer for it. They went away from it, and after the Lakers went up seventy four to sixty five at the seven point fifteen mark, here are the Lakers offensive possessions. Ruey missed three, a D missed three, a D turnover, Ruey missed dunk, AD missed putback, d Lo missed three, Lebron missed two, AD turnover, gab Vincent missed three, AD missed jumper, AD offensive foul turnover, which was the key moment. So from that seven minute mark to two forty mark, the Lakers had eight possessions maybe nine. There got zero points, and at the end of it, Anthony Davis picked up his fourth foul, which then made Ad have to go to the bench, and then Jokic did literally whatever he wanted, and so even then the Lakers were able to score at the end of that quarter because Lebron came back in Delo hit a three, Lebron made some free throws every possession, Nuggets had their scoring because when Ad went to the bench, Joker was unstoppable. So instead of it being a sixteen or eighteen point lead at the end of the third, it's only ten. And then one other sequence and then we'll get to Lebron's complaints about the officiating. One other sequence that is, you know, it's just what basketball is, but man, oh man, it can be painful. Lebron has the steel burst dunk, which is one of the dopest plays and old guy in sports has ever made a guy his age at that point in the game, one point game, minute and a half left, sniff out the pass, have the burst get there. I thought he might be gonna be get hung on the rim. Guy's thirty nine year twenty one and was on fumes.
Speaker 3: Got it.
Speaker 2: And then and I tweeted out this clip Joker. Then the the game footage doesn't get you right back in the play. But by the time you see back in the play, Joker is trying to draw a three point three shot foul and just kind of chucks it at the rim, doesn't get the call, and the ball is careening out of bounds, and Aaron Gordon saves it falling out of bounds and hits MPJ, and MPJ hits the three, and all of a sudden it's a tie game. So that you know, those those that sequence right there.
Speaker 3: If just.
Speaker 2: That ball goes out of bounds, the Lakers win the game. If they only get a two instead of a three, everything's different. So I understand, yes, Lebron missed the three to go up three. If anybody on television, radio, podcast, anything is taking anything away from that game in relation to Lebron's play, we can talk about his comments in a moment that's like, oh, didn't come through. Then you're you either don't understand the game of basketball or you're actively trolling. You can pick which side you want to be on, but that's that's not a viable opinion. You can't watch that game be like, oh, Lebron blew it. Lebron was great in the fourth. Thing is the Nuggets are better. And what's frustrating for me is people are like, Nick, you pick the Lakers win. I picked the Lakers to win the series because a lot of my series analysis actually was correct, and it just hasn't mattered yet. I said that Lebron would be better in fourth quarters than he was in the first series. Just that one fourth quarter last night alone was better than all his fourth quarters combined. I said Jamal Murray was not going to average thirty to a night on fifty five forty splits. Jamal has had his struggles. I said that d Lo was not going to be thirteen percent from three. He hit seven last night and it didn't matter. I mean, it mattered, but it didn't matter. And so it is. It is a painful loss for the Lakers, and it is really interesting to see what their mind frame is going back to La because had they won it, they're now like, don't have to win there again. Win er two at home, punt game five, go win game six. Now the path is either, and it is a winnowing path. Beat the Nuggets, who have beaten you ten times in a row, four straight games. Or beat the Nuggets four out of five, including a game seven in Denver. Win games five, six, and seven. I'm sorry, Game six and seven are one day apart. That's a very very thin path. Now, do I think that were the Lakers to get past Denver, they could win the title. I actually do. If Denver is the best team, the Lakers are going blow for blow with them. But sometimes that happens, man, and I I was incredibly and I still am retroactively as a sports fan, incredibly frustrated by the existence of the KD Warriors because there were a lot of things I thought that kind of robbed from sports fans. I think Lebron versus Steph going toe to toe in those finals year after year should have been kind of the story of that little mini basketball era, and there's a lot of part of it. And I also think Steph versus Durant. I think, like those three guys, an aging Lebron, a peaking Steph and at his Apex Durant, those three superheroes, all kind of leading their own crews should have been the story of the NBA. It didn't en it to me, made the league less exciting for a few years. I don't feel that way at all about Denver because Denver doesn't feel unfair. Denver doesn't feel like, Ah, you had a salary cap spike and you gained the system, and no, Denver did it the way it's been done in NBA history, which is guess what we got. We were fortunate enough to either win a draft lottery or in their case, have one of the greatest developmental stories in sports history, this mid second round pick turn into this goliath. We were smart in how we filled the team out around him, and he's the apex predator of the league right now. Come get him, and I the and folks can say that I make too many things or focus too much on Lebron. I I think that what Lebron is doing right now is one of the most remarkable things any of us will ever see in sports. And we'll talk about why that is when we get into the passing of the torch. But this guy at this age, in the biggest game of the year, saying all right, I'm gonna go vintage Lebron, run, point, control every aspect of the game, play great defense in the There was a spot at the end of the first half when Ad had two fouls and the Lakers didn't want to risk Ad picking up his third, and Lebron for four straight possessions just said, all guard joker. The fact that that guy is guarding that guy at this stage of his career, We've never seen anything like it. We won't ever see anything like it again. And yeah, I would have liked if they had gotten the win last night, but it's sports man, it doesn't always like there's the storyline you think you deserve and then there's the one you get, and such is life. And Ties typically go to the team with that dude. For a long time, that meant they went to Lebron's team. Not anymore. Ties now go to jokers team because he's that guy and he's just he deserves it all right. Now, demon's we can get to the officiating.
Speaker 4: Yes, so yesterday, no, Lebron basically said that he didn't like the officiating in this game or the last one that they played in.
Speaker 3: Do you think he's being a sore loser? Is there actually something there?
Speaker 2: Well, so let's listen to Lebron's SoundBite, and he also talks about the Philly game, I think, not his last game, but the previous the game earlier in the night. Let's hear it.
Speaker 5: Delo clearly gets hit in the face on a drive. Do we have a replay centered this? This is going to go that doesn't It doesn't make sense to me, makes no sense to me. And then I just saw what happened with the Sixers nickname too.
Speaker 3: What are we? What are we doing?
Speaker 2: Okay, so here's the deal. There's gonna be a lot of tweets about, oh my gosh, the Lebron complaining about the officiating. Here's a graph that shows you free throw differential the last two years and the Laker. Okay, just some pure facts. The Lakers did not lead the NBA in free throw attempts this year. They didn't. Okay, Orlando did, I think? Let me check to make sure, Yeah, Orlando did. The reason the Lakers have a massive free throw differential is they defend without fouling better than any team in the league but Boston. Okay, So they they get a bunch of free throws because they don't shoot a ton of threes, they don't foul a lot, because of their style of defense, and because to be honest, Lebron is as still to this day, either really not defending or just a smart defender, and ad in my opinion's the best defensive player in the league. So that leads to the discrepancy when you actually look at Lebron, when you look at the facts on players who get you know, x amount of points in the paint or have x amount of drives per game. Lebron, by that metric, gets one of the worst whistles in the league. Now, was Austin Reeves a bit of a foul merchant? Do the Lakers have guys that are not a game? It's sure, but Lebron has not gotten the benefit of a whistle, at least according to the data, ever since he's been with the Lakers. So what is Lebron's frustration? So I'm gonna give you the Micro and then I'm gonna give you the Macro, and I promise you no one else in the world is gonna bring up the macro thing. But I have should I say this, Yeah, okay, I'll say this. I have in the last six months talked with Lebron personally about this scific play that I'm gonna bring up here in a moment. That's the Macro, But the Micro is this. I didn't understand those reviews either, to be totally clear, I when I the first review, Lebron was daring them to review it. He's like, yeah, review it, and I tweeted like, well, okay, you're gonna lose this review. I was shocked they won it. The second review, D'Angelo Russell does get hit in the face. That's undeniable. Now what they said is he got hit in the face after the shot had been released. That is flatly right or wrong an adjustment, and how they have been calling that. Then over the course of the year, the and mate, you can argue.
Speaker 3: That should be the right that's after the shot.
Speaker 2: That's after the shot. But that's like to protect your ankles. But the point that I'm making is this Demanse, neither of those reviews have any chance of being successful during the regular season. Neither now during the playoffs. They are like the re so be it Lebron's real frustration and he didn't mention it was on not on the dunk, but on the layup he hit to give the Lakers the final basket of the game for the Lakers, I think then, or was that let me look at it. What was the final basket of the game for the Lakers. Was it the DiAngelo bucket or was it Lebron's layup? No, it was yeah, it was the Lebron's layer. He gets hit in the head and he is screaming, demanding an and one. He gets hit in the head and doesn't get it, so he's pissed, and yet all of that matters. All of it matters because if going into the final possession, instead of it being tied, the Lakers are up one, they do everything different. So I understand the general frustration, but calls do tend to even out right. The Sixers are gonna say they don't because of how the game ended. I stand that, But let me talk to you about the replay center thing for a moment. This is the macro. What is Let me ask the room. I don't want to put I want to ask the production room. Not the most important. The most important game Lebron's ever played is the forty five to fifteen and five game six before he'd won a title. Down three to two, the Blueprint game in Boston, he had thirty in the first half. They had just lost three straight. It was coming off the MAVs series. From that moment, that is the line of demarcation of Lebron's career. It could have gone one way. He played one of the greatest games ever played, and the most important game of his career came through. And from that moment forward he went title title thirty six, thirteen and ar I'm sorry. Title Title Finals loss to the Spurs thirty six, thirteen and nine in the finals, loss three to one co back Finals finals against Katie's Warriors, injured title. That's what he did after the forty five to fifteen A nine. What is the best game Lebron has ever played in his career? Anyone want to grab a mic and say what it is, because one game should stand out above all else. Any if anyone wants to guess, and I'll give context on why I'm saying this in a moment. Daniel, You're I know you're reveling in the Nuggets fandom. I'm putting you on the spot. Do you have a guess?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I'm hearing different things in here, but Game four, when he had forty points last year as old man, Lebron is the most impressive I've seen.
Speaker 3: I know that's not what you're looking for, though.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not what I'm looking for. It was, go, Matt, do you have a guess? Go ahead? Game one of the eighteen finals fifty points. That is correct. It's not only the greatest game Lebron's ever played, It's arguably the greatest game anyone's ever played in NBA history. It was Lebron Jr. Smith injured Kevin Love against the APEX Golden State Warriors. Lebron in that playoffs prior to that game, had seven forty point games in the playoff run, had just come off back to back forty eight minute games against Boston down three to two. He had two buzzer beaters in that postseason to one to beat the Pacers, one to beat the Raptors. It was a Pex somehow Lebron at in twenty eighteen, so in year fourteen or fifteen, whatever it was, had channeled something he had never channeled before. And that game against Golden State, which is forever remembered as what the Jr. Smith game? He had controlled every aspect of the game. So why am I bringing it up? And again, I'm not trying to betray confidences, but this is something and I never talk about this on the show. I think it's the first time I've ever even acknowledged this, But it is something that I actually discussed this play with Lebron personally. And don't by the way, social media folks don't clip out this certain moment. If somebody else aggregates it, that's fine. I'm not trying to like clout Chase off that I just want to give you. I want to give the audience contract Chase and the play, and the play is this, Okay, there is, and I'm trying to find the exact moment in it. But anyone that saw the game, the situation is this that Warriors are up one with a minute left. Lebron drives to the basket, gets fouled by two people, makes the layup, makes the free throw, and all of a sudden, the Calves have the lead with thirty with forty five seconds left, and they just got a hold on and Lebron takes a charge on Kevin Durant. They call it a charge and it is going to be Calves ball thirty six seconds left, up one, the best game of Lebron's career, the best playoff run of Lebron's career against arguably the greatest team ever. He's going to steal home court. And the referees go to the review center to see if Lebron was in the restricted area. He was not, and they verify that he was not. But because they went to the review center to review that, they then opened up the Pandora's box to review anything, and they said, oh, he was moving slightly, which was not a challengeable play and was not an auto review. But because they went to review something erroneously, they then were like, well, let's look at this, and they switched charge to block, and Katie hits both free throws, and then by the way you know it, then Lebron makes a layup steph hit, gets an hand one, George Hill makes a free throw miss free throw Jr. Time out, whatever overtime loss. That was right when the NBA was really embracing replay. And that is a six year burr in this guy's saddle. So now once again he plays being he feels used improperly. It's driving him crazy. And so say what you will about that game. I don't think I'm blaming the refs. I actually don't think Lebron is specifically blaming the refs. Embiid was very mad at the refs and was obviously uh, but that is the context for that conversation there. And so you know the short version of this, demonse I said, Lakers in six, and in order for the Lakers and six, they gotta lose twice. So I'm halfway to a correct prediction. Let's get to the.
Speaker 3: Next game, all right.
Speaker 4: So, any other day that the Lakers weren't playing the Nuggets in their first round of the playoffs, this would have been.
Speaker 3: The first topic. But here we are. The Sixers are struggling with the Knicks.
Speaker 4: It came down to a final shot by Brunson or a final shot by DiVincenzo, and they obviously have been dealing with injuries. So is it time to finally listen to the Bodega man and believe in this scrappy Knicks team? Or is this more of a six Ers album?
Speaker 2: Listen? That was a that's a great photoshop this way people should watch on YouTube. That was Actually I'm more worried about the Sixers recovering emotionally than I am the Lakers for two reasons. One is the Lakers. At no point did it feel like that Lakers game was over. Even up twenty. It was too early, you know what I mean for any NBA game these days, up twenty, you know, is up twenty in the fourth, you know it's over. But up twenty with a quarter, you know with early in the third that game is not over. And at the end of the Lakers game, it was clearly in the balance, right. It was back and forth, back and forth. I did think when Lebron hit those back back threes to go up eight that they were in real good shape, but at no point where the Lakers certainly won. When you're Philly and you're up five and the ball is loose on the ground and there's less than thirty seconds remaining, you feel like you've won the game. And then the confluence of events of Brunson front rims of three and it goes in that you know, and this is where sports can be cruel, and this is where I feel sick for my pal Daryl Morey. The last big time playoff shot that I saw get front rimmed and bounce in was Kawhy's game winner against the Sixers and Darryl and now Brunton hits that. But even there, okay, you're up two, You're okay, And I I know Nick Nurse was like, I called time out, man, I've watched the tape. Nick Nurse does this thing, the old do I want it? Do I want it? And then pulls it back when he thinks it's getting inbounded, and then when he does start definitely calling time out, the ball's loose. Now, did MAXI get his jersey pulled? Did he get held? Should there have been a foul? Sure, but that happens, and it was.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: You gotta not let the foul and get the ball to your teammate instead of looking for the foul there.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing he was trying to He didn't. I'm done out before they inbounded it. When they're passing it to him, he gets his jersey pulled, so he's not looking, you know what I mean, Like, he gets his jersey pulled, which is just you know, that can't happen though, But that's also why you probably just call time out right after they make the shot. Calm everything down, we're up to we can inbound from half court. We can all you can always get it inbounded from half court as you can go on the back court. Let's calm down.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they didn't, and that is an excruciating loss. And the Knicks man that I that was. I honestly think that might have been the best win in the Garden since Larry Johnson's four point play, which, by the way, believe it or not, I had a framed Getty image picture of that on in my house growing up and in our first house we ever lived together. The Larry It's like an overhead shot at MSG when Larry Johnson has the four point play. I think that was probably the best moment in Madison Square Garden in a big spot since then. And and it is you feel sick for Philly. Embiid is playing on one leg and still I mean, I don't even know how to like put in context what Embiid's doing because he is clearly injured, he clearly doesn't trust his leg, and yet he has you know, thirty four, ten and six and so and MAXI played out of his mind the knicks man.
Speaker 4: And would get in his head a little bit to not take that last shot. I think given that the turnover the block layup, I get embids the guy. But I kind of felt like Maxie should have taken it three there, But that's just I don't know, he gave it to him beating the kind of nasty spot. I think he had enough space or created space when he drove down. But I.
Speaker 2: Don't disagree with you, but it was also here's the other thing on that there is a weird psychological thing going on when you're down three and you know the other team might want to foul down three, which is like you all, like you, I'm not describing this properly, but you can't run a normal frenetic offense because you don't you're not totally just focused on let me get to the best spot possible, because it's almost like you're playing a game of tag. Like I need to make sure I don't get close enough right for someone to foul me. And so if I take time to try to, you know, get to my spot and gather, they might foul me. So I go and then pass it quick like it's a weird thing. On the up three, I don't want to get fouled. I know the other team might want to foul, So those spots are brutal. If those spots are absolutely brutal. Where MAXI it's hard to say he's screwed up, but the play he wants back is the full court layup down one. Yeah you know what I mean. When they give it to him, he has a full versus speed. Hartenstein, to his credit, drag the shast down and great play. Great play by Hartenstein, and so uh I I don't think Philly's dead. I want to make this clear. You're never dead. The only time game two is a must win game is if you are the home team and you lost game one. Okay, you can't go down O two at home. That typically, not always, but typically is a death knell in this league, down one on down oh two without home court. Right now, we have had eleven in NBA playoff games held home teams are eleven and zero. And so if you can get over the emotion of how you lost game two, if you're the Lakers or the Sixers, you go home win game three. And then here's what does happen when you fall down oh two. You then all of a sudden have back to back must wins. Right like you are, You have back to back must win games, which is a tough shot to be in. And so I think that here's what I think. I think that we are going to know from the Sixers by the end of the first yeah, by the end of the midway through the second quarter in Game three, whether or not this thing is going to be to two going back to Philly, or whether or not they're gonna get swept if they look like a team that is emotionally drained and the Knicks punch him in the face early they could fold up shot.
Speaker 4: Embiid looks shot after that game, Hey, yeah, he's looking he did.
Speaker 2: And and I also listen, I think there's a level of if you're Embiid and you're an injured player, or if you're Lebron and you're the oldest guy in the League of Man, I only have so many all out effort games in me. I need to steal a game and then give myself a margin of error, you know what I mean, and have a I don't want to say a coast game, but a game where hey, if we get hot from three, awesome, but if not, I'm gonna recharge the batteries here, you know what I mean type of spot And now they don't have it. Like my guess is, had the Lakers one that game, what you would have seen is game three, because you have two days of rest, another all out effort Game three to go up to one if you're Los Angeles, and then game four for Lebron. The day between a little bit of a margin of error, a big distribution game, right, you know what I mean? Like, Hey, if we steal it, we steal up three to one. Amazing. If not, we'll take two to two with Denver in Bead's a little different because he's not orchestrating the offense. But I want to see al embiid emotionally recovers because he was beside himself. Also, you got to keep this in mind for Himbead. I mean, the guy's never been passed round two, So like these are, it is hard to putting context of, like, oh, it's only game two of round one, Like he hasn't played a ton of games as crazy as the sounds bigger than the one last night. So I do worry about a Philly a bit. All right, let's quickly get to Luca and then we're gonna do uh the We're gonna change torch passing stuff.
Speaker 3: Yep. Uh yeah.
Speaker 4: So your large Slovenian son filled up the stat sheet but could not get the job done in game one. Also, this is a Kohilas Clippers team. So is Luca as good as you as you say he is or is something going on there?
Speaker 3: He also has carrier tea.
Speaker 2: That was a bad game by the MAVs, There's no doubt about it. It is amazing to me how many folks, all of a sudden think that the Clippers are dangerous now because they're like, oh man, if this is the James Harden they get moving forward, it won't be guys. It is James Harden has the playoff reputation. He has not because he's bad in every playoff game, but because he is unspeakably bad in the biggest spots, not because he doesn't have a few great game ones or where he can look great. I don't believe in the Clippers. I do believe in the MAVs. The Clippers were the home team. Uh Luca was fine but not great, which considering he had thirty three, thirteen and six speaks to the player is now. Kyrie was extraordinary and we got to see what level Kyrie can stay at. But I'm not worried about the MAVs.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: That was a great forty five minute first block. I there is something that might happen in the next ten days in the NBA that I don't think folks have fully recognized the gravity of. I will explain it. And this, unlike the stories I told, this next thing I'm doing. I do want us to push out on social in long form because I think I think it could be the story of this postseason. We'll do that next. Take quick break, right back, What's Right? Welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright? All right, so demandse, let's get to the changing of the guard part of this, because I don't think people understand exactly what could be happening in these NBA playoffs.
Speaker 4: Go ahead, Yes, I mean it's still early, but the guard is making their mark on these playoffs while the older guys are starting to show their age and.
Speaker 3: The younger guys are definitely letting them know about it.
Speaker 4: Is this the final year where the debate over which group of guys runs the NBA is still a thing?
Speaker 2: Well, so here's the thing on that, And this is the part that I don't think people have fully wrapped their minds around. Demonse, what do you consider like really old in the NBA? Like, what do you think is like wow, like that is an old? Give me an age? What do you think really old is?
Speaker 3: Okay, thirty five NBA?
Speaker 2: Really old is thirty five? That is correct? What do you think kind of so kind of old?
Speaker 1: You have?
Speaker 2: You know, early.
Speaker 3: Thirties, thirty one, thirty two, you're eight?
Speaker 2: All right, you nailed this, So I am going to go through every single All Star, either this year or previous All Star in order of descending age. Okay, that was active in the NBA this year as a real big time player. Okay. The oldest thirty nine year old, and I'm just gonna give you their age. Uh, this is basketball reference, so I think they sort it by their age on January one. Okay, so the some of these guys maybe have since turned a year older, but their age on January first is okay. The oldest Lebron James thirty nine. Well, I don't want it to be true, and it's not the pick I made. The odds say his season ends in ten days, right or less. Okay. The next oldest Chris Paul, He's not playing right now, keep going. The next oldest, Kevin Durant's thirty five. He might be thirty six now. Again, again, this is their ages on January one. Kevin Durant thirty five. His season could be over ten days. Steph Curry, he's not playing anymore. Russ. Maybe his season keeps going. Maybe not. He is obviously, you know, a different version of himself. DeMar DeRozan thirty four, not playing. Jimmy Butler thirty four, not gonna play in this postseason, James Harden thirty four. By the way, every single Clipper is going to show up on this list. We'll see Dame thirty three, Paul George thirty three, Clay thirty three out of there, Kawhi Leonard thirty two, not healthy, CJ. McCollum not even All Star thirty two. And that's the list. Guys. You could include Drew Holliday who's thirty three, but Drew Holliday is also, like, you know, the fourth or fifth guy on that team. Here's the point I'm making. If we want to extend it to thirty one or older at this as of January one, Kyrie Irving would be added to that list. Here's my point. If the Clippers get bounced, we are going to be in a spot where every single top level player left in the post season is either a super young guy, prime of their career guy, or just turned thirty guy. All of the old guard could be gone Steph Clay, Draymond already gone.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The Clippers KG or sorry, PG, Kawhi, Russ Harden, I think are gonna lose this round. Lebron on the brink the Suns, Kevin Durant on the brink, right we are it is the NBA I think has done a poor job marketing this next wave. But this next wave is about to hit everybody in the face. It is about to be a Anthony Edwards Sga Niko le Jokic playoffs where the old guys in the playoffs after round one could be Yannis. Dame is obviously on that list, and Dame is, you know, an older guy. He could be the oldest relevant guy remaining would be Dame, and then after him it would be guys a hell of a lot younger than him, Like I don't even know if I mentioned again age at January one, Lebron thirty nine, down oh two, Chris Paul thirty eight didn't make the playoffs or didn't make the real playoffs, Katie thirty five, down oh one, Steph thirty five didn't make the playoffs. Russ thirty five, we'll see demartros In thirty four didn't make the playoffs, Jimmy Butler thirty four injured for the playoffs. Harden thirty four, we'll see Dame thirty three, maybe the one bastion of it, because he's the one guy who got attached to right one of these younger stars, Uh Paul George thirty three, Clay Thompson thirty three, didn't make the playoffs, Kawhi thirty two injured, and then Kyrie Irving thirty one on January first. So think about it like that, the playoffs are going to be where Kyrie Irving is the elder statesman left and Dame and that's it. A league that has just leaned on the And I was looking at it via draft classes, which is what's so crazy about this, Like so on this list of old guys, so to speak, are guys from the twenty twelve draft, like Dame, who was the sixth pick of the twenty twelve draft. The fact, so if you do it by draft classes, this is what you get. Dame twenty twelve, twenty eleven, Kyrie and Clay and Kawhi twenty ten, Uh, Paul George two thousand and nine, Harden and Stephen Derozen two thousand and eight, Russ two thousand and seven, kd two thousand and six, Nobody two thousand and five, Nobody two thousand and four, Nobody two thousand and three, Lebron and so like there. Lebron, by the way, came into the draft ten years it's came into the league ten years before some of the old guys. Now, Dame's an old guy. Lebron came in ten years before Dame. But it is the new generation in the NBA's here, man, and it's gonna be a weird playoffs. If all these guys are out of there, it's gonna be fun like it is.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, Demanse, No, I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think any of these guys will retire over the next I think there's a conversation for two seasons from now.
Speaker 3: Because I don't see any of them.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're obviously more savvy with the stuff than I am, But I don't think this is the year. I think not next year's playoffs. With the playoffs after that.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're retiring.
Speaker 3: You're saying is skill level?
Speaker 2: My point is. My point is this, we have to recognize where we're at right now. The Celtics have a middle of his meaty, part of his prime, late twenties superstar Tatum, great team around him with another late twenties wingman, the Nuggets middle of his prime, late twenties superhero with another middle of his prime, late twenties guy as his wingman. The two kind of X factor teams, right, the Sixers and the Bucks. They're X factors because they have injuries to their superstars late twenties or in Bead's case, I think just turned thirty, you know, prime superstars. Uh, the I'm leaving somebody out. That's it's gonna bother me. That I just thought of, but now I can't. The Oh, the Knicks middle of it mid twenties entering his prime, butting star, the Timberwolves in OKC early twenties not yet to their prime future superstars. That's who. That's who's here now. And it is a miracle that Lebron still being here is insane. Take Lebron out of it. That the point I almost wanted to make is because Lebron's thirty nine, it skewed everyone thinking that Steph and Katie and Kawhi and Harden and Russ are younger than they are. They aren't. Those are the really old guys.
Speaker 4: Is forcing those guys to stay in the league a little bit longer than they might have intended to.
Speaker 2: Well, it is gonna be like there is a level of like when you look at it when I was going through these draft classes like it is, and then we can kind of speed run through the rest of the show. But it is funny to think about, like Lebron's draft class, which was an old timer, like how long has it felt that Carmelo, Bosh, and d Wade have been gone? Because those were picks three, four and five from bronze class. The class after four, it was Dwight and Iguadala were the last men standing. I mean, but that also just to give some context, you know who also was in that draft class, lou All Dang, Like, how when was the last lou All Dang came into the league one year after Lebron the five draft class, Chris Paul still hanging on for that draft class, but the second best player in that draft class, second and third best players were Darren Williams and Andrew Bogant and Andrew Bidam. Think of the last time you thought of Bogan or Bien Williams. Oh, I mean Williams exactly. Darren Williams, who was awesome, is been out in the league since twenty seventeen. It's twenty twenty four. That's the five draft class six, the best players from the six draft class. All right, so Kyle Lowry hanging on. But you know who else was in the six draft class, Demonte, This will bring a smile to your face. Man, your favorite player, one of your favorite players, Rondo or Rondo? Rondo? Rondo, Rondo was the six. Rondo came into the league years ago. Yeah, but he really left a while before that, you know what I mean. Like Rondo's last Rondo technically played for the Cavs in twenty twenty two, but his last super relevant season was with the Celtics. I mean he did help the Lakers. I mean, he did help the Lakers. I give him credit, but but the he's three. Rondo's three years after bron and one year before Durant. Like Durant's contemporaries are Al Horford, who is an old man, Mike Conley, who's having a nice role, you know what I mean with the Timberwolves, and Joe kim Noah the same draft class as Kdi Joe kim Noah. So it's just the old guys have held on way longer than to be expected. This is where mind everyone Michael Jordan's final playoff game with the Chicago Bulls. He was thirty five years old. He was younger than Steph is right now. He's the same age Durant is right now. Kobe Bryant's final playoff game with the Lakers, he was thirty three years old. This is not a mid thirties league man, never has been. All Right, real quick, Demons, let's talk about this Athletic player pole, and then we'll try to do a very fast NFL draft thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the Athletic did their annual and NBA Anonymous player poll and it was very juicy.
Speaker 3: So a few takeaways.
Speaker 4: The Nuggets and Celtics hold ninety percent of the votes for the team most likely to win the title. Wimby was voted both number one player to build by, sorry, number one player to build around, the best defender Lebron Inch closer to stealing the goat crown from MJ among active players, what stood out to you the most?
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's the answer. So this is where I just tell everyone, uh, sorry, guys, I won. Sorry, but I won. And by I one, I mean kind of the face of the media side of this campaign. This poll was done five years ago, Demonse. It was seventy three percent, Michael eleven percent Lebron five years ago. Poll was done last year fifty eight percent, Michael thirty three percent Lebron. Massive gap polled on this year forty seven to forty three. And sorry, Mike, but you know, winning those NASCAR races ain't gonna close the ain't gonna spread out the gap much. And so folks can say it's crazy, count Thers. All this time marches on and as Lebron keeps writing his story. And this is the tweet I had this weekend which smart people understood what I was doing, which was when Michael won his first title, it had been twenty two years since Russell won his last title. Think about that. When Michael won his first title, we were twenty two years removed from Russell winning his eleventh ring. This year we are twenty six years removed from Michael winning his last ring. So whatever, folk, whatever, if you're old enough to remember the nineties, whatever you as a kid thought of the Bill Russell era of basketball, you were closer to to that, then we are right now to the Jordan era of basketball. And while the other guy's still out here playing and competing, it's not going to end here's the other thing that's going to end up happening for the next twenty years. Every big accomplishment, every postseason record, every time a guy has x amount of anything, and they show the all time list on all these categories, it's going to say number one Lebron James. I'm sorry, but MJ's not going to be on that those lists because he didn't play long enough. And people are gonna see, oh wow, look at Kevin Durant. He just moved into X place on the all time playoff scoring list, and first will be Lebron. It's like, oh wow, look at Chris Paul. He just moved into X place on the all time playoffs steals list. It's gonna be first place Lebron. It's gonna be like, oh my goodness, look at Wimby in eighteen years. He just moved. He just played his two hundred and fiftieth career playoff game, and in first place is gonna be Lebron. And so yeah, this is probably the last pole that.
Speaker 4: We need to have parentheses like nick right on the outside of the like the graphics.
Speaker 2: This will probably be the last pole that is taken where the Jordan has elite and them's the break show. All right, I'm gonna pull call an audible all of these NFL draft questions. Let's do Thursday morning. Thursday morning is the draft, you know what I mean? The the So keep all of this and the graphics we've built for it, will do those Thursday morning. Let's take quick break, come back and answer some listener questions before I get out of here. What's Right? All right, welcome back in What's Right with Nick Wright. Let's get to some listener questions to want to day before we get out of here.
Speaker 4: Connor Walterman said, why didn't Darvin Ham use a challenge on the Lebron foul on Murray late?
Speaker 3: And why take two timeouts? Home with you?
Speaker 2: I definitely would have challenged the foul on Murray, if not to win the challenge, but because you had two timeouts and I thought at that point in the game resting would advantage the Lakers, and I felt like it was a questionable call. I also would have taken a time out before that final possession just so Lebron and Ad could get a breather. I'm not going to kill him for it. It seemed like the Lakers were on board. With it. I definitely would have challenged. So I agree with that, but because because now maybe they didn't want to let the Nuggets make a defensive adjustment, but I don't think they were going to, So I agree with that critique. All right, go ahead.
Speaker 4: Caleb w asked, with the assumption that Jokic wins this year's MVP, could you make an argument that he's a top five center of all time?
Speaker 3: Got a photoshop?
Speaker 2: Oh, we have a photoshop? Okay, you definitely can make the argument. So the right now, let's say Yokic didn't exist. The five best centers ever are Kareem Russell, Wilt, Akeem Shack, and the Akeem Shack. Some people would have Shack Akeem Akeem Shack if Yokics didn't exist. Number six on that list is definitively Moses Malone. And then after that, it's kind of a pick your poisons the wrong word, but pick your favorite. You know, David Robinson has a case. I don't really want to do. George Miken, but George Mike and I guess you know, we want to go real old time has a case. How do you can what do you consider? Bill Walton? You know those are the that's now the waters you're swimming in. H. Then you get to ewing and those waters and things like that. Uh. Jo Kich has passed Moses already. My opinion, you passed him this year if I don't think winning this year's MVP is enough for him to pass Shack or a Keem even though they each only have one MVP. Winning this year's MVP and the championship, you got to start to have some real conversations about it. Now. I'm in a Keem over Shack guy. I know a lot of people are a Shack over a Keem guy, but Jo Kich is now uh in the in the discussion. Oh, here's the uh. Here, here's the Jokic photoshop. It's uh, it's actually yeah, I think Jokic should do more media stuff. I think he's funny, all right.
Speaker 3: Next uh uh.
Speaker 4: Blaurin asked what are your thoughts on late draft On late drafting teams trading out of the first round of the NFL Draft Thursday, an example on Iiners, Kansas City, et cetera.
Speaker 2: I think it depends on how it falls, but yeah, there's almost always value and it's all almost always smart to trade back if you can. I did my official mock draft four point zero uh, yesterday on the show. People can check it out on Fox Sports, uh dot com. All right?
Speaker 4: Last question, Austin tap asked, just having a radio background instead of a print instead of a print background make any difference of getting an MVP votes everyone on TV who wants to have a vote. Uh, everyone on TV who wants to have a vote does if they have had a column?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So yeah, the print it is greatly slanted to like print. Print journalists were kind of god fathered into the voting system, which is fine. Listen, I don't you know. Fox is not an NBA partner, so it's gonna be hard for me to get a vote. Now you know they're they're the Ringer, which does great work. They're not an NBA partner and they have multiple votes, you know what I mean for that outlet? So do I think I deserve a vote? Sure? Do I care at this point anymore?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: Like, it just is what it is. And then what's the last question? Demise?
Speaker 4: We just Alaska keys, Keys, I've been married for two years.
Speaker 3: Can we still get a gift?
Speaker 2: Uh? I don't know. I mean you can send Uh, you can send a request to the store of a probably not and by like this was you just caught me on the right day, Trey and Dalen. I hope you enjoy those air attags. All right? I got Colin today, then I have the TV show, Uh Busy Week Demons. Uh, you do have really good like not how do I say this?
Speaker 3: You have?
Speaker 2: If I were sitting in the seats you're in for Clippers MAVs, I'd be pissed, but I think you're gonna love it. So they're really there. So I got you really good seats given I think different expectations, but your your uh sideline lower level. They're good seats.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: They haven't shown up in my inbox yet, but but they're purchased. So you and I will talk, but go enjoy. Who are you rooting for in Clippers MAVs tonight?
Speaker 4: Honestly, I gotta say, like, I'm pretty fifty to fifty on both teams I like, I don't I don't dislike either team.
Speaker 3: Okay, root for Loca.
Speaker 2: You're rooting for Luca. Okay, thank you. I appreciate that. All right, talk to you guys later.
Speaker 3: What's right?
Speaker 2: Hey, thanks for watching? If you're still here, do me a favor. Hit the subscribe button, then hit the bell so you can be notified when we have new episodes. After you've done that, one more favor, go to your favorite audio platform of choice and subscribe there as well. Don't forget we're live every Tuesday and Thursday ten thirty am Eastern Ish ten thirty five, ten forty. It sometimes changes, but that's why you hit the bell. You hit the bell so you're notified. You subscribe so we can get to two hundred thousand followers. We're right around one hundred and fifty thousand. We'd love to get to two hundred thousand. Get Demonday in another plaque, so like, subscribe rate, send a rating to do all that cool stuff. Thanks guys,