Speaker 1: Hey, we're ready for our next guest. He is the new manager of the San Diego Padres, Craig Stammon, joining us right now on foul Territory for the first time.
Speaker 2: Craig, great to have you on here.
Speaker 1: Congratulations on getting the role, and how has the off season really your life changed over the past month and change?
Speaker 3: Yeah, thanks a lot. Yeah, it's been definitely been a life change. I'm a lot busier here in November, December and January leading up the spring training and planning, you know, everything in the off season and planning what we're going to do in spring training. So it's been a fun change though exciting put in a leadership role and testing my leadership abilities.
Speaker 4: So far, so good.
Speaker 5: I'm just glad you didn't big league me, okay, because I saw you at winter meetings and we talked, and your family came up to mind and we have mutual friends and family friends, and I text you. I had to dig through my doldrums of my rolodecks to try to figure out a way to get your phone number. Got your phone number and you said that you would come on after the holidays. So I am just here saying thank you, thank you, for coming on. We appreciate it, and we were not going to ask you how to split the atom.
Speaker 2: Okay, we might talk a little.
Speaker 5: Bullpen or platoon advantages, but other than that, it's going to be all ball and hopefully you get to have a good time.
Speaker 2: So thank you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 3: Hopefully that's you know, a foreshadow of the future that I'm a man of my word. You know, good managers are usually a man other word. And I'm glad we could make it work that we get on the show. Sorry, I couldn't make it happen in winter meetings, but all good.
Speaker 1: Now, all right, so let's first get into the transition period and the conversation that you've probably already had a million times with others, but that one moment where all of a sudden it switched from I'm interviewing people to I'm one of them being interviewed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, aj I should have probably gotten the tune the message a little earlier in the off season, but he kept prying, and without really saying it that he wanted me to be a candidate, just kept asking, you know, do you want to do more? You know, are you tired of being a special assistant, and my wife and I had just talked about it, you know, over the last few off seasons, because there's definitely been a you know, a desire to stay in the game and be a part of it in some capacity, and the special assistant role felt comfortable with my family and the situation that we were in with young kids and just being able to get them into school and get them situated back home, get them into sports, all that kind of stuff, and so we just had a lot going on and it was kind of just a no, a casual note between me and my wife and like, this just isn't going to work. And then when AJ said, no, I really need you to think about this, and if it takes me flying out to come see your wife and answer all the questions and stuff like that, he goes, I'm willing to do that.
Speaker 4: And that's what I knew. He was really serious.
Speaker 3: And when he was really serious, then I had to start thinking about it and get really serious about it too. And I guess, just like sitting down and actually like mapping it out and thinking about it.
Speaker 4: Do I really want to do this?
Speaker 3: This is this an opportunity I want to pursue hadn't really you know, I'd lightly thought about it, but not seriously considered it until after those interviews. So odd timing, I guess on that end. But I'd spent so much time with AJ and Josh and most of the Padrey's front office the last two years.
Speaker 4: It was like they've been interviewing me for the last few years.
Speaker 3: So the interview process probably started back when I signed as a minor league free agent back in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 5: Did you feel like you had the answest to the test already when they started interviewing you, because you you've been through this, so you've sat in those interviews and you've know what they like when Preller by the way, we call him Preller because there's only one AJ on the show, so don't anything with him, all right, And by the way, I addressed way better also, but that's a whole different topic. Did you feel like you had the innswest to the test when they started asking you questions? When they're coming up to you and they're saying, Craig, well this, what would you do in this situation? You're like, remember, three interviews ago, we had disc candidates. We didn't like that answer, so I'm gonna go with the opposite answer.
Speaker 2: How does that work? Because it seems like you already know what to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could see how you could think that way. I think I had the you could say I had the answers to the test because I've been watching a bunch of games with AJ and Josh and a lot of the front office guys, and we think baseball. I think that's why they hired me, as we think about baseball in a very similar manner.
Speaker 4: They hadn't you not much to do with the rest of the candidates.
Speaker 3: I think we're all good baseball men that were on all those interviews, and everybody had a lot of good ideas, and I thought like I had some good ideas that I brought to the table, two that were unique and different and thoughts that I had even that I'd probably told AJ and Josh already from you know, just trying to you know, navigate the last two seasons and help our team be the best that they can be, So you know, it wasn't an advantage.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I've sat on a bunch of interviews, you know, for different roles, and in fact, like the very first year out of being an off season.
Speaker 4: Interviewed for being the bench coach.
Speaker 3: So I just try to be myself, be as genuine as possible, be a man of integrity, and you know, hopefully that shines through on those interview processes.
Speaker 4: And and you know, I am who I am.
Speaker 3: You know, it's it's my character hopefully speaks for itself. And that's, you know, kind of what I tried to put out in those interviews.
Speaker 6: All Right, you've been in it for two years and you know, special assistant role. One of the things we hear about Preller is he could be tough. He can be tough to work with. Do you have a little bit of like an insight into say, I get it, Aja, Like he's calls you and I get it. You're gonna be pissed about this, But let's relax. You know, we set this ahead. You know, is there are you the Are you the Preller Whisperer?
Speaker 4: I'm not a Preller whisperer.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: That's funny.
Speaker 3: I think that we we build a relationship when I was playing, we build a relationship with me as a special assistant. Obviously it's going to be a you know, slightly different relationship with me as the manager. But so far, it's been great to work with AJ. I've loved playing for him. I love being a special assistant for him. The one thing that it boils down to is he wants to win and he's going to go for it, and anybody that wants to go for it, I'm all in on that too, because I want to go for it.
Speaker 4: To you know.
Speaker 3: That's you know, us as former players, that's all we ever wanted every year, we wanted to show up to spring training, but the chance to compete for the World Series. And sometimes we've fooled ourselves into believing that when we're on teams that you.
Speaker 4: Know, weren't quite ready.
Speaker 3: But you know, working for AJ, playing for AJ, and now being a manager with AJ, you know, I don't have to worry about that anymore.
Speaker 4: We're going to show up the spring.
Speaker 3: Training with a chance to compete, chance and win a division, chance to make it to the playoffs. And you know what more can you ask for from somebody that is your boss and that has a you know, been a great GM and is always going for it.
Speaker 1: Hey make good eats at home part of your twenty twenty six New Year's resolution, Hello Fresh, is what we're talking about.
Speaker 5: Here, steaks, seafood, whatever options you want to have, stone fruit to corner the cops.
Speaker 2: God, I know you're a big stone fruit fan. Hey, you've eaten it all I have.
Speaker 5: I've tried a lot of things, but HelloFresh always delivers. They're fresh, delicious meals that you get to cook so you feel like you actually accomplish something when you get eat them after you're done.
Speaker 1: Cooking over one hundred mouth watering recipes each week. It's made with wholesome ingredients like one hundred percent antibiotic and hormone free chicken. Because when dinner tastes this good, nothing hits like home cooking. Go to HelloFresh dot com slash ft ten FM to get ten free meals plus a freeze willing knife, a one hundred and forty four to ninety nine value on your third box.
Speaker 2: Offer valid while supplies last.
Speaker 1: Free meals applied as discount on first box new subscribers only. Varies by a plan. Get America's number one meal kit, Hello Fresh.
Speaker 6: Five minutes of your interview here, I've gleaned the words, integrity, the relationships, all that stuff anytime before you became the man. Because we hear about you're respected by the current players as a player, and then as your role in the front office, you're respected by preler. You mentioned Josh too. Any time was there a moment in the last two years where you were like, as a manager, I would have done this differently? Or did anybody come to you and say, hey, as a manager, would you have done this differently?
Speaker 2: Or as a bench coach would you have done this differently?
Speaker 3: I think we all have our own ideas of how we would do things differently. I think the last two years in this role, Mike Shields have been our manager, and he's a great manager. His track record speaks for himself, you know, back to back ninety win seasons and before that with Cardinals, same thing, always taking his teams to the playoffs. So I think more so I learned a lot from him on how to navigate through the season, how to navigate a spring training, how to get your team ready to play and get off to the fast start.
Speaker 4: So I you know, I've.
Speaker 3: Talked with him pretty regularly year since he retired, and uh, he's giving me some great advice and he's kind of helped me through this offseason and looking forward to my next phone call with him to you know, pick his brain some more, and you know, asking, hey, what should I be thinking about right now? You know, three four weeks before spring training? And you know what do I got to get their guys ready for? What I got to get the coaches ready for? So you know, there's a there's you know, you could do little things here and there differently, but overall, like our team has been in a good spot for the last couple of years and now it's just trying to get over that hump, get hot at the right time and and hopefully get to the playoffs and be the hottest team at that point.
Speaker 5: All right, I have to ask you because this is the one thing that when people people have asked me, do you want to manage?
Speaker 2: This? The one thing I always think about.
Speaker 5: And you sat in the bullpend board a lot of a lot of your time as a big league player. But when you're in let's say, let's see you guys training Peoria and you have to drive to I don't know, Mesa, okay, and watch a Padres Athletics game and you're in the seventh inning and it's the first week of spring third week of spring training, and you have all number eighty nine's out there all over the field. Are you going to be bored? Because that's what I think about, Like I'm thinner thinking like you know, as a former player, like you were a former big leaguer pitcher, you pitching the fifth inning, they'd be like, okay, great, go ahead and go home. Right, So I'd play six or seven innings. They're like, all right, go ahead and go home. But now you're the manager.
Speaker 2: You have to stay.
Speaker 5: You have to take all the buses, you have to do all these things. Get back to the field. It's late at nine.
Speaker 2: Then you have to have the lineups ready, Like are you going to get bored? Or are you worried about? Because that's the one thing that I always thought like that would be boring sometimes.
Speaker 3: You know, you know, everybody doesn't know those eighty ninees and eighty eights and eighty seven's.
Speaker 4: But unfortunate, you know, not Unfortunately.
Speaker 3: Fortunately, the role that I had the last few years was was a lot with the player development, and I was able to go down to all those minor league affiliates and see those guys and try to be a mentor to them and somebody that they could count on. And so I know those eighty sevens, eighty nine's and nineties, and when they're in the game, I'm gonna be root for them because this is their chance to prove that they can be big leaguers. And to me, that's exciting because we've been pushing, you know, those guys to get better at their game, do this, do that, you know, to make it to the next level. And you know, finally they get their chance to prove it as a as an eighty nine and a ninety.
Speaker 4: And it's still a big league game.
Speaker 3: It's still a big league stadium, a big league atmosphere, and you know, be able to pat those guys on the back, tell them they're doing a good job. And you know, that's something I look forward to. It's gonna be a fun. End of the game.
Speaker 4: Will be different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, usually you're not staying for a full game and spring training as a player and able to sneak out of there and get eighteen holes around golf in in the afternoon. I think as a manager, my golf game is going to suffer in that respect for spring training.
Speaker 6: All right, Well, what Craig just said, and what he really meant to say was AJ, you were a superstar and you weren't a superstar, so you appreciate the little people. AJ can't respond right now. So that's good. That's why I said it. But that's why AJ would have hated it. So that's why you're going to be a great manager.
Speaker 4: Except yeah, I feel like I was pitching.
Speaker 3: I was pitching in those seventh, eighth, nine games in Mesa against the A's.
Speaker 4: You know, I was like, that was like my jam.
Speaker 3: I was trying to get out the eighty nines in the nineties.
Speaker 2: You were you were trying to prove it. You were hanging on, you were grinding. AJ doesn't know about being a grinder. It's okay, correct.
Speaker 6: He already had six years in the big leagues by the time you first got called up to the big leagues at twenty five years old. So that's where he doesn't connect. But you and I we connect, except on this part. Can a pitcher, let alone a relief pitcher, be a good manager.
Speaker 3: We're gonna find out, you know, That's that's gonna be the cool part about it. You know, us relievers were usually you know, thrown over there, thrown out in the outfield, in the bullpen, we're separate from the dugout, but we've got our own team chemistry out there too, and we've got to be a tight unit out there.
Speaker 4: We've got to be a unit.
Speaker 3: That picks each other up, you know, holds those inherited runners on the board and you know they't usually the The only thing a reliever gets on Sports Center for is when you give up a home run. So that's how managers get on get on ESPN or or on TV.
Speaker 4: Also is if they make a bad decision. So I'll be used to that.
Speaker 3: I'll have to have a quick memory, you know, forget about the tough times and move on to the next day and be the best. So I think being a reliver reliever has shaped me for this position. It's not common in our game, but there's been pitchers that have that have been in this position. The Brian Price is Bud Blacks, Roger Craig's of the world off the top of my head. So hopefully I can carry on their legacy and make all those pitchers and especially the relief pitchers proud.
Speaker 5: Okay, do you think you have an advantage running a bullpen because you're a bullpen guy? You think that there will be an advantage to you of matchups and when to bring guys in and who's fresh, because as a former bullpen guy, unvailable Skip I could pitch I've done four days.
Speaker 2: In a row, but I'm ready for that fit Dake.
Speaker 5: Come on, do you think you'll have a better understanding of the Bullpen's not only psyche, but when do you use guys at certain times?
Speaker 3: I should if I paid attention, you know, and and note how knew how I feel?
Speaker 2: And you know we dry hunt from Buck Craig. Although Crats wants to bang on me.
Speaker 5: I also know what you guys did because I used to have to go out to the bullpen one days I didn't start and catch, and I know those stupid reindeer games you guys play out there.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're flicking seeds and we're trying to see you can get it in the cup.
Speaker 5: Oh look look at that funny looking fella in the hat up there behind me. Like you guys aren't always paying attention, So that's just you know you should, But I mean I would think you know roles and how to define.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, you know you know you were catching behind no play? Were you paying attention all the time too. I'm sure when you were walking looking to the dugout, you know, checking out who's sitting in the front or front row, third row. You know that kind of stuff that's baseball. You know, baseball is supposed to be fun. Those reindeer games are kind of part of it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Hopefully in the dugout, we're playing the game like ten year olds and we're playing it the same way with the same energy and enthusiasm that we had as little leaguers. And you know, that stuff's all fun, and we've got to be able to do that to bring some light to the situation over one hundred and sixty two game seasons. So maybe I can bring some of those reindeer games of the dugout, but also be ready to lock it in and focus when we need.
Speaker 6: To position players. They love reindeer games too. Don't don't let them. Don't let them get it twisted. You guys just pitch in an area. But are you gonna have Mason Miller in the bullpen? Or was it your or is it would it be your objective to say, Mason, can you start some games for us this year? Can you be a starter? Because we see value in what you could bring every five days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not gonna put a limit on what he can and can't do.
Speaker 3: I just know that he's the best in the entire world coming out of the bullpen. And when you're the best, you know, it's hard to take somebody away from being the best at what they're what they're already good at, and we're looking forward to putting them in the game. You know, got the back in for us in San Diego because he's going to be dominant, just like he was when we traded for him last year. And you know, you got the picture of him, you know, getting ready to pitch for the.
Speaker 4: USA and WBC.
Speaker 3: I think DeRos is pretty excited to have him too on that squad.
Speaker 4: But you know we couldn't.
Speaker 3: You know, if you're making a phone call down the bullpen saying get Mason Miller ready, that's a good phone call.
Speaker 6: You are an ex player. You understand value, You understand the length of a career. If Mason came to you and said, yes, I want to do what's best for the team. But Craig, I'm seeing what guys are making as starting pitchers and seeing what guys are making as closers, please give me a shot to start. How tough of a decision is that because you were an ex player?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know what.
Speaker 3: I think it makes it an easier decision, honestly, because when a player says I want to do this, that means they're all in, and that means they're willing to put the work in to do it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The troubles when you get some guys that are like, yeah, i'll do it if you want me to, you know, and you kind of just get that fifty to fifty you know, feeling from him.
Speaker 4: But when they say, hey, I'm all in, this is what I want to do. I know I can help the team win this way.
Speaker 3: I also know I can you know, help myself, my career and my family in this way too. You kind of got a side with the player in that and give them the opportunity, and you know, obviously you give them the opportunity, but you put guardrails around it to protect them and hopefully that you know, they have a long lasting career that goes beyond ten years and play as long as they want to and they get to retire when they say hey, I'm done. But you know, it's I think it makes a decision much easier when the player says, Hey, this is what I want to do, and I know I'll be good at it, you know, And in our conversations with our players, we ask those questions and they give us those types of answers, and that's how we make decisions, right.
Speaker 5: You know, how I know Mason Miller's not starting for you guys because he's pitching for Team USA, and if he was starting, there's no way you guys would let him go do that. Okay, Well, that's how I know he's not starting for you guys. As soon as I saw, they're like, huh, he's going to the bullpen because there's no way you guys will be like, hey, Mark de Rosa, you go use Mason Miller for three or four innings. You decide, don't worry, We'll be good over here in Peoria playing the Mariners every other day.
Speaker 2: Okay. So as soon as I saw that, I knew.
Speaker 5: What I want to know is how many of these players you'd mentioned your communication with Mason and other players. Have you reached out to all the players Manny Machado's and er boguards. Have you reached out to these guys Cronin were and had conversations about what their roles are and what you need to see out of them this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think I've been on my phone more in the last two three months, and I think I have in the past two to three years, you know, just talking to all the players, talking to all the staff, and trying to create that culture and that attitude that we want to bring to spring training.
Speaker 4: So far, those guys have been working their tails off this.
Speaker 3: Offseason, which has been pretty cool and I'm proud of, you know what, the effort that those guys want to put in and the sting that they felt from losing to the Cubs in the playoffs last year, and so I think that's motivation for them going into the offseason and going into this next season. I think the other part of it is, you know, we've I've been in the locker room with those guys, have you know, tried to take this team to the World Series. With those guys, they know what it's about, we know what it's about, we know what it's like with each other, and so me being in the seat as a manager is definitely different. But we can also partner together and we can have real conversations about, you know, how to make this team better and how to get over the hump, and and they've been great conversations and the guys seem very motivated and what we've seen from them the off season has proven that.
Speaker 4: And excited just to see them in spring training.
Speaker 3: And get to prove to the rest of the world that you know, and show every by the rest of the world, you know, the work that they did put in and how they're ready to play this year.
Speaker 2: Mine's kind of a two part question.
Speaker 6: First, what type of what type of role did you have in roster acquisitions, trades, you know, in your previous role.
Speaker 3: With AJJS to to get the opinion of the entire room. So he made all of us within the organization, within his front office group feel like we always had a voice. I always felt like I had a voice. I could state my opinion whether it was what he agreed with or not. He would kind of take all that into consideration and then and then make his decisions. So I felt like the curtain was pulled back from when I was a player. I got to see, you know, how things ran. I got to see, you know, how AJ likes to think about, you know, constructing the roster and then what he's thinking about at the trade deadline. And I think, you know, one of the coolest things, you know, and what why AJ is so great at his job was last year he was talking about the players he wanted to trade for in April and May, and then traded for those exact same players at the end of July at the August trade trade deadline. And you know, I asked him, I said, is it always Are you always that smart? Has it always worked that way? And he was kind of like, you know, some trade deadlines go the way you wanted to go. Sometimes there's a few curve balls, and he goes, you know, this one was exactly the way I wanted it to go, and it felt like we did a good job.
Speaker 4: And so just knowing being a part of that, I was quite you know, I wasn't.
Speaker 3: A part of every conversation or every little detail, but you know, I had a pretty good synopsis of what was going on with the team.
Speaker 6: Do you have a bigger seat now? Do you have a larger say now as the manager than you did last year as a special assistant.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I have a larger say. I definitely am in a lot more of those conversations, and he's in AJ and I are talking more often, so naturally he's asking my opinion more often on all those things, and probably know a lot more about the you know, some of the things that you know don't get got down to the special assistance. You know that weren't you know, on the edge of decision making. So I would say my voice is similar, but I just know a lot more that's going on.
Speaker 5: Okay, can we get Preller to come on the show please? I've asked him. He says he doesn't watch. Okay, I see him in San Diego. I'm like, hey, we'd love to have you on Talk Padre's Ball. He goes, well, well, I don't really know your show. I don't really watch, but I've seen you say like these ten things, so somewhere there's a disconnect here.
Speaker 2: So I'd love just to talk to him. I know he doesn't sleep.
Speaker 5: He doesn't sleep, so I know if we need to get him on at three in the morning out in San Diego when I'm just waking up and he's just now winding down from the game, I'm happy to interview him. So just pass that message along to him from me, from one AJ to another. He's been ducking me for years, so I just love to talk to him. He did sign me one time in Texas, so and we do have a little connection.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to go. You need to go play some hoops with him. Go play some hoops. Bill Little.
Speaker 5: I feel like I could post three, because he's he's like little, you could post.
Speaker 2: I feel like I could just post.
Speaker 5: Him up and just back him down like Shack did to like some of those people like I would be shocked and he would be like Muggsy Bogues. I just back him up, back him up, and oh layup he will.
Speaker 4: He will shock you.
Speaker 3: And how good he is at basketball, it's it's surprising. It's surprising he can he can play. So but that's that's the way it was hard, That's the way it was Hart.
Speaker 1: Hey, Craig, I want to ask you about a specific player who you've been able to watch for years and might not be a part of the mix for next year. Tell us about how unique Luisa rises as a player. It's a name we haven't heard a ton about in rumors yet this offseason, but just wanted to get your scouting report on his value. And if you think that advanced metrics are being too harsh on.
Speaker 4: Him, Louise is a great player.
Speaker 3: He was a great addition to our team the last few years, just in a culture standpoint, and even like an attitude that he had brought to the hitting group. He was always working, one of the hardest workers on the team, and always caring about his craft and he takes took his takes his craft series. As we know, we've seen him play and you know, multiple multiple season batting champ Uh. He brings a unique skill set to the to the team, skill set that not many players bring. Doesn't strikeout, makes a lot of contact, not a ton of power. But you know, honestly, the last few years, there wasn't too many people I'd rather have up at the plate, you know, two out situation runner and scoring position, because you know he was gonna put a good a bat on. You knew he was gonna put the ball in play, and he just had a unique ability of just shooting the line drive over the shortstop and scoring that runner from second. So you know, RBI is kind of a stat that the analytics departments don't value as highly, especially to out RBIs. But I think that was his specialty and and he kind of he struggled a little bit with it at the at last year. But you know, some of that was a little bit of bad luck, and some of that was just you know, the you know state of the seasons. We all have good seasons and bad seasons, good luck and bad luck. And you know, I think Luis is gonna have a great season next year. He'll probably be right up there in the batting race and probably win another one here coming up shortly. So he'd be a good addition our team. He'd be a good addition to you know, the rest of the teams too. He was great for us the last few years in San Diego.
Speaker 5: Be careful now because you're you're you're a manager now, so you can only talk. You can't really talk about you know. So I like what you did there. He'd be great on our team, but also all twenty nine other teams too, So that was that was very nice.
Speaker 2: That was very nice. You're learning managers speak as we go here.
Speaker 4: On the fly, learning the learning.
Speaker 2: The I love it.
Speaker 5: No one ever accused you of not being an intelligent fellow that's why you're a manager.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: Can you guys compete with the Dodgers, the two time defending World champions? Everyone knows their payroll. There's a rivalry between San Diego and LA. I don't care what anyone says. If you haven't been to an La Padre game, there is a different atmosphere, especially at pet Goo. You guys knocked him out a few years ago. You guys keep trying, You guys keep pushing. I love that going there. Can you guys compete with LA the way your team is assembled right now, and can you knock them off again like you did a few years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're gonna compete, There's no doubt about that. You know, we're gonna give them our best shot. That's what we'll do every year. That's what we've done every year. They're a great team, two time defending World Series champions. They got a lot of great star players, future Hall of famers. We feel good about our roster too. We feel good about our team, We feel good about the attitude. We've definitely had a lot of battles with them. We know what it's like to play in Dodger Stadium. We know what it's like to play that Petco and how exciting that atmosphere is. So we're looking forward to those battles this season. They're a tough team, they're a great team. But there's nothing better than in the big leagues than playing against the best. You know, it's us against them. You know, we'll stand on the mound and we'll throw pitches and see if they can hit them, and we'll do the same thing. They'll stand on the mount and throw pitches and see if we can do some damage. And then and then the best team will win. It's been some good battles over the last few years. They got us last year, but you know, hopefully we can turn the tide this year and put our best foot forward against them.
Speaker 1: Hey, Craig, I brought one that you can fully talk about, nice and easy. Ready, sun Moon Song signs with the Padres. That's already been official, the whole deal. I think we don't know a lot about him. So this is actually an off season where there were a number of players coming from overseas, some US pictures of course that went over and then came back ABO, np B et cetera, many NPB stars. But this is one that I think flew under the radar and for some reason the timing of his signing too. There was just a lot going on. So what can you tell us about him and the role that he'll be going for in spring training?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sun Munsong great addition to the Padres. We had a lot of success with his you know friend hasan Kim. We kind of know how that process went bringing Kim over from Korea, and we feel like we can implement that same process with Song and so he's going to be kind of in a little bit of a super utility roles kind of where we see him. He's a natural third baseman, can play second base. We're going to try him out at first base and left field also, so you know, he's a left handed bat. It's gonna fit in well. We need to get Manny a dhday or Manny a day off. You know, he can slip right into there to the third you know, put him in against a tough ridy you know, get some good left handed bats in. He's he's a player that's got some speed, also has got a little bit of power that he's shown over the last few years. We feel like his body's transformed a little bit here in the last couple of years he's got into the weight room, so we feel he's very well equipped to make the jump from the KBO to major league Baseball. And you know, we're gonna try to bank on that success we had with with has On Kim and and and you know, Sung Monsong is gonna do the same thing, and we're excited to have him and just another player, a great player that we got for a very favorable contract that we feel can can make a good impact on our team.
Speaker 6: Last one for me, Joe musk Grove update and also update on how you guys, if he's healthy, if he's ready to go on the date that you guys have him ready to go, how far you'll push him coming off of his entire missed twenty five season.
Speaker 3: Joe's in a great spot right now. He's been throwing bullpens regularly. He's he's ramping up for spring training. Uh so far, so good, on schedule with everything. As you know, Joe is, you know, as good of a teammate as you could ever have. He's as hard a worker as you could ever have. Some would say works too hard, which I don't know if there is such a thing, but he's a leader in our clubhouse, a leader within the whole organization, leader in the city of San Diego, and so we're.
Speaker 4: Just looking forward to getting Joe back on the field.
Speaker 3: As far as the inning limits go, you know, he's at a stage in his career. I don't think he's willing to entertain any innings limits. But we're gonna be very cognizant of his recovery, how he's feeling after every outing.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna put a number on him.
Speaker 3: You know, I've seen We've seen players come back from Tommy John and and go through a full season pitching the playoffs. Adam Wainwright comes to mind, you know, coming back from Tommy John and then pitching.
Speaker 4: Two hundred and thirty innings the very next year. So no limit on Joe. He can. He's he's a stud.
Speaker 3: You know, We're gonna, you know, take him as far as he's willing to go, and we're going to be smart about it too. So you know, is any range, could could be any number of things, but you know, it'll be more of like a week by week, month by month, start by start process with him and making sure he's feeling good and then peaking at the end of the season, so that we've got him, you know, for that playoff atmosphere, because when we get Joe in the playoffs, there's probably nobody better.
Speaker 5: All right, before we let you go, have two more quick ones. One you Darvish update, where's he at? Because I've seen things where he at one point some people were saying he was contemplating retiring.
Speaker 2: Have we do we have a U Darvish update?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Darvi Darvish had uh Tommy John surgery at the end of the season, so he's gonna be rehabbing this whole season. He won't be playing, he won't be pitching. You know, we'll see what that recovery timeline looks like. But he's been around the organization a lot already this season. He's got great relationships with some of the pitchers on our staff, especially the young guys like Randy Vasquez. Those two have turned into quite the pair and best buddies, and they're constantly you know, Darbish is constantly pouring into him, trying to motivate Randy and and get him, you know, learning how to do scattering reports the way you son has kind of done those throughout his career. So, uh, he's a big advantage that we have in our organization. He's gonna play a similar role to what Joe did last year, is being around the team as much as possible, be a leader in the clubhouse and and mentor those young guys and you know, try to help us win on the margin.
Speaker 4: So Darvish is a big part of the padre still.
Speaker 5: By the way, he just needs to tell him to throw slider, because that was just kind of report when I caught him. I'm just gonna throw a slider. If you have you Darvish as slider, you can throw that picture every time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, I asked him. I said, I said you, why don't you ever throw fastballs? Three oh?
Speaker 3: He goes, well, my slider's better, So I'm gonna throw that three to oh two oh whenever.
Speaker 4: You know, you're right.
Speaker 2: I just threw it was all when I was catching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he still couldn't hit it.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go. You're from Ohio, correct, You're from Ohio. Right, you're a football fan.
Speaker 4: I'm a football fan the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 5: So are you happy that Mike Tomlin just resigned or you do you want? Maybe he could go to Cincinnati and take over the Bengals because they haven't you know, Joe Burrow, but you know they haven't been great.
Speaker 4: Yeah that you know what, that's news to me.
Speaker 3: I did not hear that before I hopped on, But that's big news.
Speaker 4: That's big news. He's a great coach. If I remember right, he has never finished under five hundred. That's that's quite a feather to have in your cap, you know.
Speaker 3: I think being a Bengals fan, Washington play against the Steelers, you always felt like they had an advantage with Mike Tomlin. But I think the Bengals are in good shape too. Zach Taylor's a great coach. You got Joe Burrow, Jamar Chase t Higgins. I'll get that defense was playing a little bit better at the end of the year. Get a healthy Joe Burrow for a full season. I like the Bengals chances.
Speaker 5: That was a good breakdown, right, the true fan right there, Notice he's like the defense is getting better, right, I got to see.
Speaker 1: The time when news all right, Well, great, hope you enjoyed it, man, We really enjoyed the conversation.
Speaker 2: We were looking forward to. It's a really cool story.
Speaker 1: We're excited to see you during the season too, so thanks for stopping by.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I love talking baseball with you guys. Thanks for having me on and we'll talk to