Speaker 1: Every day. Up we click yours up the Breakfast Club.
Speaker 2: Y'all done.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the world's most dangerous morning show to Breakfast Club. Charlamagne the God DJ Envy just hilarious. Envy's not here today, but Lauren le Rossa is and we have an amazing guest in the building today.
Speaker 1: Man. You know, it's.
Speaker 3: Interesting when we talk about, you know, black history, as if it's the thing of the past, like, you know, as if we don't have living legends and icons and people who you know, actually we're there for the things that we talk about. Mister Andrew Young is here. Good morning, sir.
Speaker 4: Good morning. I'm really glad to be here with you. Yes, sir, I'm long overdue, man, what are you telling I mean, I need to know where you are, Yes, sir, and I'm I'm out of the sink. A look at the book and be honest or dine and probably you know I need to read that quickly.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: John O'Brien is here as well, John Hope Ryan, Good morning morning. Mister Andrew Young had a new documentary i'll called The Dirty Work. It comes out on this Friday, ten seventeen. Why was it important for you to tell this part of your story.
Speaker 4: Now, Well, I'm telling my story, and we see the glamor of the civil rights movement, and it was very glamorous. But for every one or two you see on television, there were five hundred to one thousand of us in the background doing the dirty work. And it's the way I got into it. I was actually up here in New York in nineteen fifty seven fifty eight and doctor King needed somebody to move with him to Atlanta. My wife was from Marrying, Alabama, which was a little country town near Selma, and we saw the ms Man. It was a NBC documentary on John Lewis in the Nashville citing story. We just bought a house out in Queen's and I was working up at the National Council of Churches. And when the documentary came home, my wife said it's time for us to go home. I said, we are home. She said, no, this is New York. New York can have will be my home. And I said, well, we just bought this house and we got a good job. She said, yeah, and I hope you'll deal with that. I said, well, what are you going to do? She said, I'm going back to my mama in Alabama, and I'm taking my children and I said, well, what do you want me to do? She said, I want you to sell this house and find a job down south. And she was the blessing in New York, though, was that she got a chance to go Queen's College for eighteen dollars a semester and get a master's degree. And that's what supported us in those early days. But it's it was the attraction of going back south that got me back in the movement. And it was in that transition Martin Luther King had just been stabbed and he took New York. In New York, he took a month off to go to India and was just coming back and planning to move from Montgomery to Atlanta. So I ended up getting pulled in to try to help him move. And that was that was the dirty work. He needed to be in a bigger city than Montgomery, and but he couldn't afford to live in Atlanta except with his parents, and so he was trying to raise funds. And that's another story.
Speaker 2: But no, no, that's this story. But that he never he keeps avoiding his own He.
Speaker 4: Never had he never had a million dollars a year to work with the entire time we had the movement going. And so I was trying to help him raise some funds and went to my church up here, the United Church of Christ, and asked them. They founded a number of colleges, Howard and Fisk, Talladega to Galoo, all across the south, and so I said, you know, if you would let us use some of these properties or some of them, we could have a movement southwide in a little of no time. And so I was sort of being a bridge between him making the transition to Montgomery and comeing to Atlanta. I was then moved from Atlanta back to I mean from New York back to Atlanta, and the first job I got, he was not there. His secretary said, well once, she said, my wife's in Alabama. She said, you can't be hanging around here loose. He said, idle miners the devil's workshop, and we got a whole lot of devils. And she said you need something to do. I said, well, anything I can do to help, And she gave me a great big egg crate packed with letters. She put about one hundred letters in a package, tied them up, and they would. There were maybe a dozen packages, and so she said, if you can help doctor King with his mail, Well, that's kind of dirty work, but that's really if you want to get to know a company, if somebody's coming in here and wants to get to know it, answer to mail, or at least read a mail, or know what's what's happening around. And so it gave me. I mean, I ended up with the bucket of mail, and that was sort of a dirty work.
Speaker 2: So you missed a couple of pieces. First of all, you and doctor King's wife, your wife and doctor.
Speaker 4: My wife and Martin's wife were by coincidence, and I said, coincidence of God's way of remaining anonymous. They were from the little same country town of three thousand, Marion, Alabama. But there was a good school there and actually, in the nineteen forties that school turned out more black PhDs than any school in the nation because it had a I don't know how bad people who were studious and Julian Bond's daddy got his PhD writing it on Lincoln in school in Marion, Alabama, which is where all these young people came from. And it was where the movement a lot of movement. People came from there.
Speaker 2: So Charlomagne when he also when he went to go get the job, when he went to do it South, the stabb didn't want them. Doctor King was out giving speeches and on the road. The stabb didn't want them. He was smart, he was articulated. He was like, all the seats are taken, we all get every good. They sent him packing, so he came back with a grant. The grant was self funded and it was for non violent education or something like that, but he funded his salary. So doctor King said, you consider you paid for it. You can sit right over here.
Speaker 4: Well, we've been paid for it. We not only paid for it, I brought access to all of those schools. Yes, from in North Carolina King's Mountain, Georgia. It was Atlanta University, Alabam Most two galu Uh Talladega, Talladega and Alabama and two Glue and Mississippi.
Speaker 2: But the key point of that in bass Young was again, you won't take credit for this. He became the one person nobody could fire, so he could speak truth to power.
Speaker 4: Didn't anybody exactly.
Speaker 2: Because doctor King didn't like conflict. If you let me finish my point yes, Doctor Dean didn't like conflict, so he was a conflict manager. So he was the one inside the staff. You had crazy people on the left and crazy folks sort of over here trying to do revolutions. Doctor he didn't want conflict, so he would expecting Bashi Young to knock his inside. That's it. And when he came in, he wanted it to be resolved. And so he was the resolution manager inside the movement and outside the movement. Again, he doesn't take credit for it, but that that really became one of his magic pieces was that he was an independent thinker, just like you are. Just like all you guys are independent thinkers.
Speaker 4: They get that right, I guess.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: The thing is that that the one thing you I couldn't do. I couldn't move in there. I grew up in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: I'd lived in the South all my life. But I was up here in New York when the movement started, So I couldn't come back down there and claim and I hadn't done anything. Everybody had been beating up gone to jail. Uh, and I come down with a grant. Well that's no, I mean, that gives me no scoring points at all, but I and I didn't need them. I just wanted to be there to help because well, I don't know. I left Howard and I really well, I really fucked up for three and a half years. See but I somehow got a degree. And you you was fucking up because I was playing around, wasn't studying. I was trying to make the swimming team, trying to make the track team, even tried the wrestling team, and trying to play ball, basketball in the gym. And I was I went to college at fifteen, and so I was trying to hit on the girls. And I wasn't making any bragras at all. You know, a little nigga from New Orleans, and I got along with people, but I was trying to grow up. And when I came left Howard and we stopped that you couldn't had no hotels at lets you stay. We stopped at a King's Mountain, North Carolina, where we had a church conference going on, and I decided to run up the mountain and that was where I was in good shape. But when you're in the hills, you never run flat, either running downhill or uphill. And I was running downhill too fast and still tried to make it to the top of the mountain, and somewhere along there I kind of blacked out, and I looked around and everything seemed perfect. You know, it was a perfect sky, perfect corn field. The green trees were sparkling, and I said, damn everything. He has got a purpose but me and I said, I cannot be put here on this earth with no purpose at all, And how do I find a purpose? Well, what I came to was if there's something that I think needs doing and nobody wants to do it, that becomes my purpose. So I was looking for stuff that needed to be done that nobody wanted to do.
Speaker 3: Did that okay, Jr? Be working with him? Did that feel like part of your purpose?
Speaker 4: Well, he was the only game in town and he had just finished, you know, the Montgomery Improvement Association. He got stabbed of here in Harlem, and he was recovering from He and Corretta took a trip to India to study more about nonviolence. And that was sort of when I came in and he wasn't around, so I started cleaning up. But I learned that when he got to be head of the Montgomery Improvement Association, he wasn't even a meeting. He was back in the in the mimiograph room running a Memi ray machine, turning out handbills telling people that we're gonna have a one day boycott. Well that one day boycott turned into three hundred and eighty one days. But they went to the back room because two preachers, Methodists and Baptists usually they were arguing about whose turn it was to be the spokesman. And the ladies in the group said, look, these brothers always fussing than fighting, why don't we let this young man in the back be the spokesman. And so they voted him the spokesman. And he didn't even know it.
Speaker 1: That's that's how he became like yeah, and he.
Speaker 4: Went and they went to the back and told him that he was going to chair the meeting. And he had less than an hour. It was about seven o'clock. The mass meeting started at eight o'clock at another church across town, and he had to stand up and to find this whole movement. Well, he really was brilliant, But with that kind of stuff, when you run a Mimi reference and all day your mind's wandering and somebody says, hold up, you got twenty minutes, you got to speak, and nothing you can do but go to the bathroom and lock the door.
Speaker 1: But somebody had to know he had those gifts, right like somebody had.
Speaker 4: Well they had heard him preaching in his church. But it wasn't a gift like running a mass movement. And I mean this was the first time in a long time, well the first time, and I can remember that any city got together and did an agreed that everybody would stop riding the bus. Started out for one day, but it was so successful that it ended up being three hundred and eighty one days.
Speaker 2: That was an early uber, by the way, because it was a black, black taxis. Everybody just decided to drive everybody else around and not get on the bus. But the thing he the message for your audience, Charlomagne, is when he's running up that mountain, he was insecure. He was lost, and he was looking for a purpose. A lot of people are looking for a purpose, doctor, he was looking for a purpose. He was back in the mimeiagram machine, tried to figure out what his life was going to be like. And he'd spend eighteen hours preparing for a sermon. He had eighteen minutes that when his moment came, it's that you're on and a half an hour, dude.
Speaker 4: But you know, and the speeches that that speech, his wife was pregnant, so she couldn't be there. She asked the choir director to record it, so we have it recorded, and what you see is all of the you see references to all of the speeches he made when he got the Nobel Peace Prize when he was at the marchin on Wardington in Selma. I mean, he had a repertoire and he just pulled it all together, and he had a nice voice and a nice cadence, and he knew how to move across. So he put all of the stuff together and preached his way to the top.
Speaker 3: It's such an interesting perspective when you talk about, you know, purpose to John, because in my mind, you know, I always thought the purpose was the liberation of black people. But you're always just looking for something a purpose within yourself.
Speaker 4: Well, except you've got to start liberating black people by liberating the one you are. And I'm not liberated. I'm I'm I'm enslaved. All of the crap that that goes on on every college campus and and in every neighborhood.
Speaker 2: And uh so let's let's let's get some into some real talk. He's got survivor's guilt. He doesn't sleep, he's always working because he was on that balcony when Doctor King was assassinated, and and uh he was right.
Speaker 4: There before that. Though we're all born into a mess. I mean I was born into a neighborhood, well, my brother with only black kids. There were three four black families. But you had an Irish grocery store on one corner, an Italian bar on the next. The Nazi party was on the third corner. And I'm smack dad in the middle, fifty yards from each one of them. And at four years.
Speaker 2: Old, that's you. Yeah, that's you.
Speaker 1: I gotta be your ful.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Governor call turn it off for you.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: So so when he when Doctor King was assassinated, the FBI told him the instructions for the shooter. If you missed, the dreamer killed the strategist.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So he's been this all this time. You an ambassador, first black un ambassador of history the United States at the Carter, first congressman since reconstruction in the South brought the Atlantic, the Olympics to the Atlanta made Atlanta International City, President of Medlaler freedma Wardi French foreor Legion of Wardie one hundred and fifty hoary doctor degrees, brought a venture Capital of Africa, liberated Zimbabwe, helped get Mandela out of prison. But underneath all this is I'm here because my friend was a shot, so he couldn't enjoy any of it. He give all his money away. He's been a servant his whole life, and he is He's the closest thing we have to Nelson Mandela.
Speaker 4: But he had to stay in jail for three to thirty thirty years. Yes, I have, and that was one of the things I was guilty about. Everybody else has been been to jail, and.
Speaker 2: They called him and uncle Tom, and the staff called him uncle Tom.
Speaker 4: Because I was managing the foundation money, I couldn't. I wasn't supposed to go to jail, and so until I got set up in Saint Augustine, well really even in Savannah, and I ended up first time getting arrested because I was walking to try to get Hose Williams out of jail, and there were kids playing picketty in front of the holiday inn. I mean they were twelve years old and the police come up there to arrest them, and I went on and I said, look, these kids are not part of anybody's movement. We wouldn't put people out here like this with no adults. I said, if you arrest these kids, you ask them for trouble. And they grabbed me and threw me in the paddywagon. But I was glad I went because they immediately shut the thing down and you got a little slit Inland. It was at least close to one hundred degrees in Savannah, and they closed the air off and I got, you know, fifteen twenty kids in there, and they expected us to start, you know, crying and screaming because we were. We were really closed in and hot. And that's where I go in. The Sunday School helped me and I said, look y'all, y'all know how to sing. Wade in the water. We go into the beach, close eyes see, and I said, and I said, we're going down to Tybee Beach. And when you get to the beach, the water's cold and we're gonna get and the song goes the chills the body, but not the soul. And so we started then walking the like they were in their mind, walking into the water. I said, we are not going to pash waist deep. Then everybody's gonna get down and we're gonna cool off. And so when we kind of figure out how to stay in the oven and i'd burn, I said, let's we're gonna sing, and they started singing, wade in the water. God's going to trouble the water. See, and we turned tragedy into a triumph. The police got mad and took everybody to jail, and I had to go with him. But then when we got to jail, it was dinner time and they gave everybody a paper plate and they put up grits and Greece. That's what they served them. And the kids said, we don't eat this ship, and they started sailing the plates across the jail. And I mean, it was it was a while time. But there again, that's I accidentally got into that. When you when you but that was the dirty work.
Speaker 3: When you look back, was there a moment when you realize the moral weight of what you were doing could also cost you personally.
Speaker 4: I think I never worried about that, and I never worried about that because I never been I mean the school I went to in the elementary school, Belina C. Jones was an all black public school, overcrowded, and I could have gotten killed that in school, I mean it was it was called a bucket of blood. But I got along. And then between that in my schooling and then I went to a church nursery and they taught me to read and write. So when they put me in public school, I was six years old, but they put me in third grade and everybody else was nine ten, and so I've always had a burden which I learned to deal with and not you know, but I was always playing ketchup?
Speaker 2: Why did the staff call you that supposedly unpleasant phrase, which actually, when you're doing a little research on Uncle Tom, he was a bad brother. Actually he actually he actually took slaves up north to Canada. He bought a home, bought some property in Canada and actually housed them and created self sustainability. Other folks turned the story in doing something negative. But why do they call you some of the staff uncle Tom?
Speaker 4: Because my daddy taught me to live in that neighborhood and to go to that school. I had to stay calm. And my dadd is macho. He was a little man five to four, and he said, look, you're never gonna be big enough to beat up anybody, so stay calm and let your mind lead you. Your mind is fat is more powerful than your fist or your feet. You can run from trouble, but you won't feel good about running. And you can fight, but you're probably gonna get beat But if you let your mind work, you can figure out how to get through any trouble. But don't ever get mad. Get smart. See and I heard that from four. In fact, he took me to the movie, a segregated movie, to see Jesse Owens in the nineteen thirty six Olympics, because when Jesse Owens won one hundred meter dash, Hitler got mad and he was supposed to give Jesse Owens the medal, but he walked out of the stadium and took all of his troops with him. My daddy said, and I watched jessid what's he doing. I said, He's going about his business. He said, that's the point. He's not letting Hitler at him upset. He got three more medals to win and he ended up coming out with four gold medals and a world a couple of world records, and so it was it was that preparation that that made me ready to do whatever I had to do.
Speaker 2: So they didn't understand his role. Doctor King never wanted him arrested. Doctor King, he needed him on the outside. He didn't want it was he was not useful getting locked up like other people. He needed it was. It was a different frequency. And he's not saying it, but he was a strategist.
Speaker 3: And yeah, I mean, I think that's the interesting thing about the doc right, like it shows you that the civil rights movement wasn't just about marching, and you said this, it was about strategy. So what other dirty work had to be done quietly for the in private, for the public victory to be probable.
Speaker 4: Well, you know they bombed. They bombed sixty two homes in Birmingham in nineteen sixty one sixty two, and Fred Shuttlesworth came over there to see us and said, look, we cannot be passively don violent. We got to find a way to be more aggressive and we need you to come over and help us. So we agreed before Christmas that we would in January we would come over to Birmingham and start a movement. And Doctor King turned to me and said, Andy, do you know any white folks in Birmingham. I said, I don't know any black folks in Birmingham. I ain't been to Birmingham. And he said, no, well, you got six weeks to get to know some. I said why. He said, Look, if we're going to go there and tab the people's town, somebody has to go in early and tell them we're going to do it. I said, then they're gonna kill me. I didn't say that. I said, well why me? He said, because you grew up with white folks. You ain't worried about white folks. You get along with as good you get along with people. And so I ended up by myself said going into Birmingham. And I had met some people in Michigan at a conference from Birmingham. So I called the Episcopal Church and then one of the people I met answered the phone and I said, I need you to help set me set up a meeting with Doctor King and the Episcopal Bishop. And she said, well, I can't do that. She said, I don't know Doctor King, and he's got to He said, I tell you what she said, you come here and I'll get you to see the bishop. So then I had to go see the bishop and explain to him that we're about to move fifty more black folks into your already ninety thousand people, and we intend to tear up your town. We intend to boycott. We're not going to buy anything but food and medicine, you know. And but we want to find a way to sit down with you and draw up a map where we can peacefully live together and you can respect us and we can respect you and everybody can get along. Well, I mean, he's looking at me like I'm crazy, because he ain't used to black folk talking straight to him like that. But I mean that was no problem for me. And so we set up a series of meetings and all the stuff that they're talking about at Harvard. Now, what is it, DEEI yeah, that came from Birmingham because at the same time White Walker, who was pastor up here for a while, he's gone to Glory. He was meeting with the Fred Shuttlesworth and the Black preachers and they wrote a Birmingham manifesto all the things that were wrong with Birmingham. And I was meeting with the white folks, and they were writing all the things they could do to change that. You had to sit down and put it to them bluntly, say, look, you got black water and whitewater. Now you know that's not real. There's no difference between the water. Why you got to put a sign on it saying this one was for black folk and that one was for white folks. It's all water. Take the signs down. See if you don't take the signs down. And then you got these black women, and you got them in aprons and smocks, and you let the white women dress up with the clothes they're selling, and they get a commission, but the black folks have to do all the work keeping the shop clean and keeping the clothes. Said, why not just let everybody wear their dresses on the rack and let everybody get a commission. And they said, well, we could, but then they'd have a thousand reasons why they couldn't do it. But we had ninety thousand black folks in Birmingham. And when ninety thousand black folks decided that they were going to stop spending money on anything but food and medicine, they bought no shoes. No, I mean that's where the blue jeans came from. Everybody had raggedy blue jeans, and so nobody bought any clothes. And that's when the college students who had come down with us from all over the country, they went back and started wearing blue jeans. Well, that came out of Birmingham. The stuff that the preachers and workers wrote down in the Birmingham Manifesto, the things they wanted, and the things that the white folk wrote down about what they could do to answer this, all of that became public. But they blamed it on Martin Luther King. And he was in jail, so he wrote the letter from the Birmingham jail, and he didn't have any paper, so he wrote it around the march. Somebody had left him. Well, lawyer up here from New York left him a section of New York Times, and he wrote the letter from the Birmingham jail around the margins of the newspaper. When he ran out of newspaper space, he wrote on toilet paper, and he used to joke and said, is a good thing they had tough toilet paper in the Birmingham jail.
Speaker 2: But he smuggled it out through you.
Speaker 4: But he smuggled it out and we got it. We got all of these published and and that was the dirty work behind the movement.
Speaker 2: And I need you to do me a favor. You're talking to a whole generation. This is the voice for this generation. Your your habit is to talk about this person and that person and give this person credit. Wait. Look, they need you to tell your story crisply and bluntly so they can get the memo on how they need. This generation has no business plan about what you did. What you did was absolutely historic. This is no time to be humble. There's no time of humble pie like, I'll do it. I'll set you up, but you got to hit it out the park. There's some stories I know, I know these stories.
Speaker 1: We want them to watch the dirty work too.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But like the work that you do with the boycott and everybody plays a role in the movement is what I've always heard and learned. I feel like today when we talk about the boycotts, that that we're trying to do actively. There's no real roles. We don't take one thing serious, we might take the other one serious because there's no there's no structure, there's no how did you get people to fall along, even though not everybody a growth.
Speaker 4: With everybody used to go to church back then, and radio black radio wouldn't let it, wouldn't wouldn't say anything about Black radio was owned by white folks, and they would play the music, but we'd have to slip in unannouncement, there's going to be a certain meeting that you know, such and such a Baptist church, or such and such a Methodist church. And they finally even stopped them from from doing announcements. So it went by word of mouth. We knew that every night we'd have a mass meeting at some church in some neighborhood and people would get together about five o'clock and nothing to do, and they sing these old songs that the young folk then came in and modified the freedom songs. And then the preachers would come in and preach a little bit and tell what's going on. But it was all around the church, and in the daytime when the churches were not operating, the kids went to the schools, and the guys who were hanging out at the pool hall, we'd stop by there. In fact, Doctor King was very good pool played. Grew up in the YMCA and he could get everybody's attention because he would go into a pool hall and challenge the guys that can I take the winner, And after they saw he was he could run the table. They listened to him. And it it was finding a way to get to people where they are. And it didn't matter what they looked like, it didn't matter what the clothes were, it didn't matter anything except that I'm ready. Well, they would really say, I'm ready to die for my people. And it was the threat of death to almost every black man in the South until just recently. And it's coming back now. It's more organized now. But we had to mobilize the entire community. But in mobilizing the entire community of Birmingham, that's ninety thousand black folks. We brought people from Atlanta. I came from New Orleans, some others came down from members, some came from New York. The hospital Workers eleven ninety nine was here in New York. They would come down and they would work with the hospital workers and we found a way to mobilize the whole city to one stop buying anything but food and medicine. And you do that for six weeks and then six months and the economy drives up and closed people have to start closing stores. Then we finally ended up with eighty businessmen, people who owned the hotels, people who owned the drug stores, the shopping centers, sitting down with us, and they got these two complaints together and agreed on the fact that they could change. But they didn't say, we're automatically gonna change everything today. We said, let's try it. Okay, we're gonna take down the signs immediately, live on black and white water. Everybody's gonna drink water, and okay, that's a good sign. We're gonna let the ladies and in the women's department, we're gonna let them take all those smocks, uh and aprons, and we're gonna let them put on the clothes that they sell it see, and they can get a commission too, and we're gonna treat them fairly. And we took apart the town piece by piece, and everything that was not fair. We said, from now on, let's make it fair. And people began to realize that when ninety thousand people haven't been shopping and all of a sudden they start showing up like you go to Atlanta now, and all of these stores now, the same thing happened there. We didn't have to organize it like they did in Birmingham. But the brothers who start making off right now, the rappers run the department store because they can come in with their girlfriends and they spend money by one thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: But they answer your question, there were rules just like you have here. He's been humbled again. It was strategy, by the way, it wasn't. We got the business people to take down to whites. Only science.
Speaker 4: He did.
Speaker 2: Doctor King would set would shut the economy down. In six weeks, they marched. They knew this. Six six percent of the residents were black. The dollar was the same dollar. So after six weeks, the merchants were the walls were on fire. Then Doctor King was s Andy Young and that's young Andy. He called him Andy, going there quietly, take it, take it, take your overalls. I'll put your business suit on, go behind closed doors, cut a deck, cut a deal. Don't embarrass them, don't humiliate them. We want them to win.
Speaker 4: To It was a little bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Well okay, yeah, but we had to do it.
Speaker 4: We had to get.
Speaker 2: Acknowledging it trying to get the blunt truth out.
Speaker 4: Well, if I take credit for it, i'd be then.
Speaker 2: Well you're not yeah, but you're a love yeah, but you're alive now yeah.
Speaker 1: But by the way, clearly they do it because they told him that.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 2: Strategist. But there was there was rules, there were there were the roles. Everybody had a role. He had a roll, Doctor King had a roll. The crazy people had a role in the movement, but the women had a roll, the kids had a roll.
Speaker 4: But the dirty work is getting everybody to realize their world.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: And you get the kids and you let them know that they can pass out handbills. And if they happened to see somebody shopping that they think that they shouldn't be shopping, just go and politely hand them a handbill. Don't throw it at them, say I just put it on the windshield of their car. But they know that the community is watching. But it's it really was classic to do it in Birmingham when ninety thousand folk. We had trouble when we got to Chicago on New York and you got millions of folk and so that's where we stumbled. And that's when doctor King. I mean when we were going coming north and threatening to shut down. I mean, Chicago has got more black folk. Then they got folk at Alabama and and and half of Mississippi and Chicago, and Alabama's gone to Chicago. So we didn't have any problem doing the same things with them that we did with the parents in back home. Mhm. But it was on such a larger scale and and these it is just getting around is different.
Speaker 1: How do I want to this question for both of y'all?
Speaker 3: How do we teach young people now that the real revolution isn't in just outrage, especially the social media outrage, but it's an actual organizer.
Speaker 4: Well, that's short. My dadd had started telling me when I was four, don't get mad, get smart. See when you lose your temper inter fight, you lose the fight. And every time he was he liked he was a boxing fan. And when who at the Sonny liston was supposed to be fighting Muhammad Ali and Sonny listening with a bear of a man, and my daddy said, watch Muhammad a leave, he'll probably knock him out in two rounds. I said, oh, Daddy, you don't know what you're talking about. He said, that man I said that man, I said, he is a bear. And I said, Muhammed is I mean he's so thin, he's light one or two punches and he's gonna go down. He said no. He said, watch, Mohammed is not going to lose his temper, and Muhammad isn't gonna be cool, and he'll take him a couple of rounds of playing with him, and then Sonny Listening is out of there. Well, I said, well, he said, don't forget. Same thing applies to you. If you're gonna get in a fight, don't get mad, get smart. He said, Sonny Listing has gotten mad, said, and you're gonna get his ass whipped.
Speaker 2: Didn't your dad slap you?
Speaker 4: And this is well, that's I mean, we used to. It wasn't. It wasn't. It wasn't slapping. It was it was he he always wanted a shadow box and he tapped me on the face like that if I was going the wrong way. Uh. But if I got lost my temper and started swinging, then he knocked the hell out. Let me say again, you lose your temper, you're gonna lose your head.
Speaker 5: That's because I always wondered, like, how did yogs so for you, right, you're the strategy brings. You can't lose your temper. But like there were times I went to a museum in Memphis at the Lorraine Motel when I was there last, and they were talking to me about when Martin Luther King was in. I believe it was rallying and the KKK was marching because he was in the city. And times like that would happened all the time when people there was death threats. There were so many things coming you, guys way, I'm sure you had to have sometimes face to face conversations to clear the way before he got certain places. And you still stay strategy and brainstrong.
Speaker 4: The truth is we didn't that everybody knew. In fact, the only person who would talk about it openly was Martin Luther King, and he said, now you know, if we go messing with Birmingham, some of us ain't gonna come back. Now he knew he was the one most likely targeted, but he'd start, I mean, he'd make a joke out of it, and he had a real good sense of humor. He said, John, it might be your turn, but it's gonna be one of the hardest things I ever do. But I'll try my best to preach your ass into heaven. And then he'd start preaching all the things that I pick on him about.
Speaker 2: See what are you pointing on me?
Speaker 4: Because the illustration I'm saying that that's the way he did all of us. He would know and he would say things you didn't know. He knew about you, and he'd ask God to forgive you and please let him into heaven. You know, I mean, really, he really turned your death into a comedy, and it was it was.
Speaker 3: It was a sadistic but the fact that people knew that they could potentially die and still were willing to make that sacrifice is what I think is missing now also.
Speaker 4: But they shouldn't have to. You shouldn't be willing to make the sacrifice. You should be willing to take your time and assume that you can make the world right and you don't have to die. And we we we maybe have made it too difficult. Most of the people who died, we can remember the names, but they're literally millions. Like Martin Luther King got stabbed by black woman up here in Harlem, and that with a letter opener, and the let opener was pressing on the order of his heart, and they said if he had sneezed, he probably would have died. And he talked about that all the time. But what he talked about, he said, but he got a letter, and this is why I'm writing the letters. Answering the letters was important. He said, I remember getting this letter and this girl said, I'm eleven years old and it shouldn't matter, but I happened to be white, and I just want to thank you and thank god that you did not snee And he would talk. He talked about that all the time because it represented a fact that there's still many, many good people. And you shouldn't believe that the whole world is going to hell in a hand basket. See that right now, even right now, in right now, the whole world is not going to hell in a hand basket. I think there's Friday or something that's supposed to be marches in twenty eight cities Saturday, Saturday.
Speaker 1: That's a protesting at the voter.
Speaker 2: I think, no, no, it's they're calling it the no King rally.
Speaker 1: King Rally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but we didn't have anything to do with that. But it's it's you mean, we mean black people, black people, but we'll join but that's mostly white people see and like, was it the start?
Speaker 2: Why are you thinking about that? Let's let's answer her question. Though, yes, there there was level headedness and he was it. He would go.
Speaker 4: There were a whole lot of smart black folks.
Speaker 2: That's young. With all due respect you're being We can either have an interview or a master class. Okay, now they want it either way because they're not getting these stories. But the master class. But the master Jackie Robinson can tell his own story yours.
Speaker 4: But we're telling were tell him the story of people who were heroes in a crisis and who were cool and didn't get mad, they got smart.
Speaker 2: But they got you here in person. They can go read about Jesse about okays for you too. So so let me give you one example and bastly young. So doctor he had actually a ferocious sense of humor, but he couldn't He didn't want to be like that because he didn't think people were going to take him seriously. So he he was like boxed in. But he had this important role. He needed him to play a role. And the one time he didn't play his role, Doctor King got upset with him. The one time it was only one.
Speaker 1: Time all the time, he didn't play a role.
Speaker 4: Well when when Meredith got shot on the road walking to Mississippi, first place, he shouldn't have been walking down a highway by himself and making this point without getting everybody, wanting people looking and getting somebody to help him. But anyway, we had a rule, if somebody gets killed hurt doing something that's right for the benefit of all of us, if they go down, we have to go take their place. And we were already in Chicago. We were registering voters in Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia, and we didn't need to have another march to show we were brave. But everybody was mad because Marylyith got shot, and so they said, let's go, let's go. We got to keep it going. Well, I saw that they were leaving all of the stuff we've been working on for months behind and they would all suffer. But I got tired of playing Uncle Tom role. I said, okay, let's go, and doctor King said, Andy, hold up, I got to go to John meet me in my office, and he came in and he said, look, if you're not gonna talk sense and help balance it on the right side, I don't need you he said, I don't need another crazy negro. We got plenty. Everybody can get emotional, somebody's got to stay calm. And I said, but I get tired of playing that Uncle Tom Row. He said, yeah, but you've been doing it all your life and you ain't gonna quit now.
Speaker 3: Theyll being calm and level headed and using strategy of being an Uncle.
Speaker 4: Tom, because when everybody's mad and you calm, then they think something's wrong with you.
Speaker 2: They thought the most they thought that a man thought that the most courageous, manny thing he can do was to go to jail. Going to prison, getting your rear end whip was a badge of honor. By the way, strategically they put women and children on those marches. They didn't want Charlemagne or me or they didn't want because that was aggression against aggression. You wanted to get the sympathy from the TV cameras and the meet so they put women in children. That was strategic.
Speaker 4: Well the men wouldn't come.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well that's all okay, all right, whatever it was, it worked out. But the point is the point is that that he was playing a very important role. Like if you look at the pictures in the civil rights movement, Doctor King Andrew Young. Andrew is never looking at the camera. He's looking here. He's looking here, He's looking here, he's looking for he's looking for threats to his friends. He's not trying to become doctor King. You guys, when you're interviewing, you're not trying to be the guests. You're not trying to be the star. That's you're You're so good at it. You're playing your role and you do it brilliantly. And as a result of that, you became stars by focusing on the star and basket Young wanted Andrew doctor King to be successful, and he deferred himself. He again, I'm basically the only person that lets him that he lets push him like this and just but he knows I'm just trying to pull it out of him so that people can benefit. He's very uncomfortable talking about himself. But this is so important to understand the dirty work, the stuff behind the scenes, the little things. It's everything. And so this role he played of being calm and cool and chill and stepping over mess and not in it.
Speaker 4: That's the way I was born.
Speaker 3: It's a certain temperament like I don't even know if you can learn that, like, that's why. But you can learn it, I think, well, can you unlearn it?
Speaker 4: I mean I learned it. Every man learns it with his wife. I mean, your wife can cuss you, and I mean talk about you like a dog, and my wife does regularly nowstic so she but she was a school teacher for thirty years, and she doe and she said, I've been dealing with you bad boys all my life and I ain't gonna let you get away with nothing but okay. But I've been married twice and both of them were school teachers, and both of them knew how to that. Well, one I knew how not to get get riled up with. I don't believe I've ever lost my temper with my wife, either one one for forty years and another one for thirty years.
Speaker 2: He taught He taught me you can either be married or he can be right. Those are two different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in the doc, you said, after Martin Luther King Junior got shot, you knew there was no hope.
Speaker 4: What did you know? I don't think I said that. I knew that it was gonna be hard, but I really, you know, my mama used to make me go to Sunday school. And they one time they were talking about Elisha going to heaven and a flaming chariot. And I was about nine years old, and I said, I don't believe that they put me out of Center school, but I never forgot that. And that's what I thought when I saw Martin laying there one I said, he probably didn't even hear that shot. The bullet Pollers travels faster than the speed of sound, so it hit him right in his and severed his spinal cord. So he probably never heard it, and he probably never felt any pain, and he was dead instantly. And the thing that occurred to me then was, damn, my brother done gone to have them in a flaming chariot. And see, he used to keep wanting to go back to Memphis. Well, Memphis is right next to the river, Mississippi River, and Missisivy River runs through and all our spirituals, you know, my home is over Jordan. Well, Jordan is the Mississippi for us down south, and and it and all of the all of the spirituals talk about, you know, steal away, steal away to Jesus uh. And I just felt that he'd gone home to the Lord and and and left me here. But I knew, and I still know that there's hardly a day that I don't talk about him and learn or remember something that he said, uh in a similar situation. And I passed that on to my children, but to all children. And it's one of the reasons why I'm really grateful to those folk, and Johnny, one of them that put together money to tell this story, because I don't believe it has ever been. I don't believe anybody, black, white, rich or poor Ha's ever had ninety minutes of TV time telling their story. And these folks came in brother from England. They backed three eighteen wheelers up into my my my driveway and unloaded the equipment and they set me down and I talked for three days, eight hours a day. They came back a month or so later with another three days, eight hours a day, and I think we did that. We did that three or four times.
Speaker 2: He's watch.
Speaker 4: And they had read everything ever written by me, and this this brother sat down there and he he asked me questions. I said, where did you get that from? And he tell me where it came from? And he made me remember, and so I saw this as having a chance to tell a story that And I don't care how much we don't read like we used to, if we ever did, But all the books that were written by the movement are big thig books, and and we don't read, we don't keep still that long. So the mass media, radio and television is still our means of communication. And it's why you play such an important part in our community and why I had I mean, I was in a meet and last night till ten o'clock, went home, got me a few hours sleep, got up at four o'clock in the morning, got on a plane, and came up back here because I wasn't coming to talk to you all. You talk to more people than anybody I know. And when John said he's going to let you talk to his people, I said, thank you Jesus. No, it's a privilege me. Well, it's a but it's a privilege for me because I well, like I was mare for eight years and we took Atlanta from half a million people to five million, and we got the world's business airport, and it's I went up to the airport is the world's business airport, and they used to complain that they didn't have enough women in the decision making. And I go into the board meeting and there's twelve people in there, and nine of them women Black women, well, eight black women, one white woman. And that's that airport house one hundred and fourteen million people a year. See, and black women are running it, and they we have worked that out and we're trying to expand it and keep it growing. But we voted, and we get out and vote. I got elected because and it poured down Raine.
Speaker 2: It was like.
Speaker 4: Gladys Knight thing rating night in Georgia, and it poured down from Sunday and the only day was Tuesday, and I said, Lord, please stop this rain. And it kept on raining Monday and rained all day Tuesday and half the night. And I went out to see how I was doing. And Black folk were still in lines. They went lines in Atlanta like they went line with Mandela in South Africa. They stayed in line for days in South Africa. Because they got Mandela out of jail and elected in president. That they elected me mayor, and then after that they elected they elected me to Congress in seventy two and then seventy three they elected mayne to Jackson mayor. And we've had nine black mayors in a row, and everyone has grown the city more and and it's it's doing well.
Speaker 2: I have a favorite ask. I don't ask you from any favors. I've never seen these folks so quiet. They're gonna pay you respect because you are, you are the iconic. They've never seen him quiet, right, yeah, yeah, but they got questions, right. And if you keep telling stories about Joe, Jack Schmoe and the other person, I need to know. This is a masterclass. This is an opportunity.
Speaker 4: For give it one.
Speaker 2: John, Okay, but I know there's some jewels.
Speaker 4: But I've been giving him one for the lists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they can't be said in one interview. That's why the documentary is important as well. But I mean, I'm I'm I'm learning a lot I do. To John's point, do I do have a question? Do you think we've honored doctor King's legacy or just branded.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: I don't think there's anybody anybody around that doesn't respect what he did and what he gave his life for. I think that. I think he is a sacred personality in our history. But everyone is like that. I mean Christmas Attics. I knew about him. He's the first black man, first man to die for this country in Massachusetts, and he's black, and it well, this country would not be what it is without us. And I think Martin Luther King represents the best of us, but he ain't the only one of us. That there were people around him, and only a half a dozen of us have been to college. I mean, most of us learn learn from the streets, and they learned from our experiences.
Speaker 2: But the.
Speaker 4: I mean Louis Armstrong grew up in my neighborhood in New Orleans. He didn't I don't think anybody ever gave him trumpet lessons. He just picked up the thing and made it blow. And the thing that I'd like to remind people is that he's a man who grew up in one of the poorest neighborhoods in New Orleans, and he sings It's a wonderful world, see. And there's Ray Charles who's blind, and there's a big piano out in all ben and Georgia where he grew up, and he sings America the Beautiful. But he doesn't start with though, but the spacious skies. He starts with little beautiful for heroes proved in liberating strife, who more than self their country loved and mercy modern life. And we take the history of this country and the history of this planet and we turn it into a piece of music or a symbol of grace. If we do something, we do it with style, you know, and it's and and no matter what it is, we do it better. And I used to think I could play basketball. I wouldn't go near a basketball court with a bunch of women on it because they all would beat. The day when the Olympics wine in Korea, the women's Olympic team was playing an army team, and I went to the brothers. I said, now, look, don't don't y'all like too rough with these broads. I said, you've got you've got to show them some respect. He said, man, you don't know, these brothers be the ship out of us. And and but I said, well, they said, no, we we got to try to get even. And if you look at at the way well that Atlanta airport. I can remember the lady when they said eighty percent of the work of the.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Eight hundred thousand dollars was made by women in the airport, and this black woman got up and said, no, no, no, don't clap, don't clap. It should be a billion. Come back when you've got a billion dollars, you've got a women making a billion dollars in this airport, then we'll clap. And this it's been that. It's been that pushing and pulling and thinking and sweat that we have excelled at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, as you say earlier, going back to what you said earlier, you said it's coming back right. So my question to you, is this the state of this country where it is now? Is it reminiscent of civil rights movement back in the day.
Speaker 4: No, it's not because when I came up in the well maybe so, because I was born in nineteen thirty two, that was a recession here and there were people starving. That's where social security came from. That's where food stamps came from, the government trying to meet people who were starving, and they were not they were not black, I mean. And right now, the way the government is moving, it's not doing right for anybody. But there's some good happening. And I.
Speaker 6: What do you feel the good is?
Speaker 4: That's a well. One I believe in this country, and I believe in God, and I believe this country is a God feary, God blessed country. That's something I have. I haven't seen any other country. Well, I've been to I've traveled one hundred and fifty one countries, and that only about two hundred and ten countries in the world, and I've been to one hundred and fifty of them. But I come right back to the United States and I come back to Atlanta. I enjoyed New York, and I'd like to come to New York, but it's just takes too long to get places.
Speaker 2: And the.
Speaker 4: Traffic, now, you know, I worry about, but now the traffic humped Atlanta. So we got to figure out what to do with that.
Speaker 2: When traffic comes to growing cities. Traffic comes to growing cities, which you built in Atlanta, by the way, eight hundred billion dollars sorry, five hundred and eighty billion dollars GDP, the same Atlanta's bigger GDP than Singapore. And he built it, He and and the people he just talked about, they built that into what my wife calls Wakanda, and it's nothing like it in the in the entire world. Again, these are things that he doesn't talk about. It's it's some of it's in the documentary, by the way, some of it's not a lot of it's not a lot of us ended up on on the editing floor the bother. Thanks Rachel, Thank Rachel, Mattaw Phil Griffin MSNBC for putting resources behind this to make it possible. But this guy's a walking treasure trove of strategic thought, I mean, and most of it is unarticulated, unrecorded. He just goes about his business and he's he got to you just literally pull it out of you, start talking, You ask them a question, he goes in the fifty other directions. I love it, though, I love it all about other people.
Speaker 1: You said, just now with.
Speaker 3: All of the he said, it's a God fearing country. But when you think about all of the oppression black people are facing this country, all the challenges be facing this country, how can those people.
Speaker 1: Be fearing of God treating people like that?
Speaker 4: Welcause God's son suffered and suffering is not suffering is not the end. It's not acceptable, and we should do everything we can to wipe it out. But we shouldn't be afraid of it. Like I just have never been afraid to die. And and most of us that march with Martin Luther King used to argue and and and say, Okay, who's Bombingham? Is Bombingham? Somebody gonna get bombed And that means I hope and and doctor King would start preaching your sermon, he said, Now, if it's you, saw Man, I might have a hard time getting you into heaven. But but but but he would start with finding some of the things that you got. You have gathered my people together on this radio, and I want to bless you for that, and the Lord will bless you for that, because you talk to more people about life than maybe anybody else I know. And uh, we're grateful. We're not gonna forget that. But we also know it took you a little while to get here. And we know that whatever got you here wasn't always you know, sunder, wasn't lessons you learned in Sunday School and and and and we we but you're forgiven the things in the struggle, and you you got a place in glory.
Speaker 1: It sounds like you have a hard time getting in heaven.
Speaker 4: Well no, But.
Speaker 3: Does the revolution start when people get tired of suffering?
Speaker 4: Now, yeah, no revolution. Revolution I think is continuous. And like I picked up one of your books off the table and uh what get honest a die line? And in sometimes in history books like that would make one group of people wake up. Now it's hard to get us to read. That's why you're on the radio. But that's why we're on television also. And doctor King used to say that news media is worth a million dollars a minute. We we we would try to get our demonstrations on ABC, NBC and CBS and you know, cronk Heit and Brink, but each one of them, if you could get on those three, that's that time is worth a million dollars a minute. And so you put in some good hours here, thank you, and you built a good audience.
Speaker 5: Is it true that you made the call to miss credits Scott King after doctor King was shot? Did you make the call to correct miss Corredis Scott King when doctor King was shot?
Speaker 4: I did, but she had already heard it. But I knew Corretta. Corretta and my wife grew up together in a little country town and we talked all the time, and they talked to each other. And she wasn't crying. She wasn't. She said, well, there's what I've been worried about. But now we have to carry on. And that's the way all of her children have tried to carry on. And it's hard, and but all of us in some way a doctor King's children. And we see the example that he said, and we see her she was, she was she was up here in Boston, uh, trying to train to be an opera singer. Mm hmm. And he said, I need you back down south with me.
Speaker 2: She actually raised money. She would do concerts credit Scot King would sing concerts, operated concerts and raise money for the civil rights movement. For her husband behind every successful man as an exhausted woman, which is why he keeps telling the story of women who don't get the credit, who don't get acknowledged. He keeps pulling. I do admire that he keeps pulling everybody into his story so they get their name mentioned, so that they get acknowledged. Uh. His his wife now is strong. His first wife, Jeanie childs young was strong. Uh. When he was you an ambassador, they were in a they went to jean Child's hometown.
Speaker 4: Little country town in Alabama.
Speaker 2: And they were on the they were in the open opening a car and Gene child Wrong said Andy. She that's this guy I used to date in high school. He's a bum. Now he's on he's on the street corner.
Speaker 4: I said, I said, go Lee, I guess you're glad he he had a hard time in Vietnam and he's not doing right. I guess you're glad you didn't marry him. And she said she if he'd have been the ambassador to the United Nations. And that's that's true. That that and that's a there's a John Bryant quote behind every great man as an exhausted woman, many exhausted women. I'm glad.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that you keep bringing up, you know, other people. And I'm glad that what the doctors called the dirty work, because I think playing your position is a lost start.
Speaker 1: I think everybody wants to be a star now.
Speaker 3: And it's like, you know, it makes me one that has has social media made the struggle to performative because people don't see that unseen grind. You don't see that dirty work. You don't understand how important plan your position is.
Speaker 4: Well, you know those who are in music noted you've got to create a certain harmony, a certain rhythm that you can't do it. I mean, jazz was everybody solo and on their own. But but the music now has has far more well in good times. It has melody in hard times against funky. But you've got you've got each one expressing the way they feel and uh and somehow when you hear it and it relates to you, you go out and buy the record, so you you turn on whatever it is you have to turn on. Nowadays I don't have one of them. Go ahead, no, but it's it's this is a very complex life. I mean when I lived in New York, I worked up on the near Harlem and near Riverside Church, and one time the lights went off and I had to walk from up there at one hundred and twentieth and Broadway across the Queensbide Down Bridge to get a bus on the other side to get me.
Speaker 2: Up to.
Speaker 4: Hollis And it's a huge, complicated city and there's nothing simple. But you have to figure that for anything to work in this city, and in most great cities, there's got to be a series of teams that are making it work. And most of the time you don't see the ones that are in the background, and you don't, I mean you don't. You might see the cook that's preparing the meal, but you don't see the guy that had the slaughter the cole.
Speaker 5: You know, there's all this work and you know all the sacrifice that you guys put in. When Martin Luther King was here, he wasn't as liked and as revered by everybody as he is today.
Speaker 6: How do you feel when you say he almost was, you know, almost talking about I mean there.
Speaker 4: Were a few people who were jealous of him, who wanted to be him, but they were preachers too, and but he was one of that kind. I just want to they've never stopped that kind of no. But he he did not let that bother him, and it well, yeah, yeah, you have to watch your enemies, but you see them better if you bring them closer and try to get them involved in what you're doing. And you know, the teams that win play together, and and and everything requires a team.
Speaker 2: Now we get into a real conversation.
Speaker 7: Can tell me about the team that you and Clarence Eve, Oh lord, I tell you that that is one of the most He's one of the most beautiful brothers I've ever met love him.
Speaker 4: He called me and said, I'm trying to reach Andrew Young and the young I said, yeah, I'm in the He said, nigga, are you crazy? And I said, I don't know what?
Speaker 3: What? What?
Speaker 4: Why? What makes you think that they tell me you running for congress in Georgia. Don't you know that they just killed medical over there in in Mississippi. How you ain't got good sense and you want to run for congress? I said, well, before doctor King was killed, the last thing we talked about was how were going to take our people from the streets into politics. And when John came along, it was from the streets to the to the suites and the banks, and how to how we're going to integrate the money, how we're going to integrate the culture, say And he said, well, if you crazy enough to run, I'm crazy enough to help you. And I said, what would you He said, what would you do? If I could get Bill Cosby? If I could bring Bill Cosby and Isaac Hayes. Now this was nineteen seventy. Bill Cosby was booming, he just got on, you know, and Isaac Hayes was good music or out of Memphis. And I said, well, you know, I said, I don't even have money to make a phone call to invite him. He said, nigga, I didn't ask you if you had any money. I said, what would you do if they came here? And I said, well, I'd get to baseball Stadium and we'd fill it. We'd fill it up. That'd be a great start for a campaign. I said, but I told you I don't have any money. He said, I told you. I ain't said nothing to you about money. Money is my business. And I shut up and he hung up on me. But he found out who had handled the radio, I mean the Braves Stadium. And it was about in six weeks signs we well, four weeks signs walp all over town, that Bill Cosby and Isaac Hayes would come into the baseball stadium and he blew it out right and they filled it up in the pour and down rain and gave you the money and didn't even charge didn't charge anything. I love Clarence Man, say, that's my idol.
Speaker 6: What was the issue, the real issue between Martin Luther King Jr.
Speaker 1: And Malcolm X.
Speaker 4: You know there was no issue. The difference was that Martin Luther King learned in college. Malcolm X learned in jail. But Malcolm X read the Dictionary and the Bible. Say, and when Mark and came back with the Nobel Prize, we worked in Harlem and the Armory. And when we came in the back door, who was standing act in the back door with Malcolm X. Two people, Malcolm X and Nelson Rockefeller. And Malcolm X said, I just wanted to thank you for all that you've done, and I want you to know that I am with you in anything you want me to do. But I think that it's probably better strategy if you and I don't seem to be so close, and said, that's why I'm not going to come in there with you in public.
Speaker 2: He wasn't trying to profile Malcolm, trying.
Speaker 3: To did disparate Malcolm, you see, disparaited Martin publicly sometimes.
Speaker 1: Though we'll call him Uncle Tom.
Speaker 2: Was his brand.
Speaker 4: It wasn't It wasn't Malcolm so much as it was that whole whole crowd around Elijah Muhammad.
Speaker 1: Now, but Martin was close to Elijah too.
Speaker 4: It seems like I know, well because we're unable because when we came to if we went into town, like when we went to to Chicago, we got all the big preachers together and got them to agree that we would be there with them and that they could tell us what they wanted us to do. Now. Some didn't like it, and some just didn't want anybody to have a profile but them, and we just went on around them. But Malcolm, Well, I met Malcolm when I was here, and Mike Wallace did a story on Malcolm on Sixty Minutes, and the black guy who was working with Mike Wallace was married to one of my secretaries at the National Consular Churches, and they invited me and my wife over to dinner. This was this was before Malcolm X was even known around and but we'd had dinner a couple of times together. Anytime he came to Atlanta, he came by our office, but Martin was never there. But he went to He went to Selma to see Martin, and Martin got arrested that day and was in jail. So he spent the day with Corretta and me and spoke at the mass Mass meeting that night and then went on his way.
Speaker 1: Malcolm and they haven't they haven't met. They met once?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they met, No, they met several times.
Speaker 3: Was always in publicly, Yeah, publicly, Yeah, that's when they had got that picture together.
Speaker 2: By the way, when he became mayor, just the point about paying people playing their roles. When he became mayor of Atlanta, the civil rights leaders his friends. The second day he was mayor, they picketed him. So he went outside. He said, what are you guys doing? They said, well, you're the mayor now, so we you know, you got your job, we got ours And he accepted that. So Malcolm was playing his lane, is playing his role publicly, but privately he respected doctor King and just didn't feel that he was useful to him. By the way, a lot of these, a lot of the Black Power movement came out of standing right next to doctor King walking in the South, the Black Power movement, that's where it started. They'd used Malcolm Martin's visibility to get visibility for what they were doing, which was easier because he were angry Black Power getting angry, so and Martin a lot allowed all of that. He allowed everything to flourish around him. He wasn't insecure, but it just wasn't his It wasn't his way.
Speaker 4: What he did was on just that he invited Carmichael to come to church. So next time you're in Atlanta, if you're in Atlanta on a suddeny, please come to church and then come home and have dinner with us. Afterwards. We need some time to talk. And he came to Atlanta, went to church, and then they went home together. Uh and uh, Coretta fixed dinner with the well. Preacher's wives always have a way of fixing food no matter who shows up. They got enough.
Speaker 2: But isn't it true that all of those leaders at some point criticized doctor King. Yeah, see snake snick.
Speaker 1: Uh Uh, yes, sick. I mean it's nick.
Speaker 3: That's why I love the documentary King of King King in the Wilderness, you know, because it shows that. But it seemed like it was respectful, you know, like they were walking together and they were disagreeing during interviews, but it was respectful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But people like John Lewis never disagree, you know, And it was it was people. I mean, you have rivalries on the same football team, but they all run in the same play and and and that's sort of that's sort of the way we were. We said, look, we may disagree on how to get there, but we all are trying to do the same thing, and we can do it best if we do it together.
Speaker 2: So Charlemagne, what I'm hearing from what I've learned from him is the mission back then was we? The mission now is me? This is the basically when to summarize what the problem is and what you brought up earlier. People today wake up Ago, I'm tired of talking about me. Now you talk about me, and it's all about me, me, and I'm and if it doesn't benefit me, then I'm not interested.
Speaker 1: My likes, my engaging is my views.
Speaker 2: That's right, my opinion. And if I got to hurt you, I've got to step on you to elevate myself, then, so be it. Back then it was almost the exact opposite.
Speaker 4: Now, I mean, I just you're being gracious, you are being I'm being respectful.
Speaker 2: Exactly the point.
Speaker 4: But I'm trying to find if you're going to get along with people, you can easily point out differences, but if you really want to work together, you got to find those huge things that you agree on and say, let's get this straight first. And that's true in the neighborhood. You know, it's true in everything we do.
Speaker 6: I totally respect what you said a little bit back when you said, I've never been afraid to die, right, But I think it's greater that you've never been afraid to die without making a difference or without making a change, because you've got a lot of young people that aren't afraid to die either, but for the wrong reason.
Speaker 4: No, they afraid. They scared to death. And it's because they're scared that they do stupid things. See. I mean most street fights would be avoided if somebody could say blow a whistle and say just take ten seconds to cool off, they wouldn't shoot. But they're doing something and I don't really understand it because I've never had to be that way.
Speaker 2: Let me bridget. The most dangerous person in the world is a person with no hope. So they had hope. Loaded The most dangerous person in the world is a person with no hope. They had hope. They had self esteem, not just confidence. You can be great in music or great and whatever, have enormous confidence, but have low self esteem. They had spirituality. They believe it's something larger and more important themselves. Doctor King to say I'm here to say black people, he said, I'm here to redeem the soul of America from the triple evils of war, racism, and poverty. He wrapped everybody in his vision, and he brought everybody in and then lifted everybody up and with it. Yes, black people got lifted too, but it wasn't black people only or black people at the cost of everybody else. And so he made it hard for people to disagree with him. But he had his own self esteem. When you have no hope, you're willing to your life has no value. They were willing to die because they had hope, because it wasn't about them. It's a different new ones. They value themselves enough that they valued everybody else enough that they're willing to sacrifice themselves. So that's a different thing than I don't value me. I don't value it was going I'm not gonna live to twenty five anyway, what does it matter? None of this matters, So I'm not the most dangerous person in the world. Is a personal no hope. That's why he said he can't relate to it. So it is that, Charlie, what you said earlier about has it changed, or you asked yes, I think it has changed. It's me and me I because I don't value myself. I need to keep pouring water in this cup because because the cup has no bottom. If the cup has no bottom, I'm pouring all the time, trying to fill up myself esteem.
Speaker 6: And people need validation and seek validation.
Speaker 2: Yes, through everything. And so what he's talking about is purpose in life.
Speaker 1: My God, what he's got his intention? It's your real purpose. What's your intention? What are you here for?
Speaker 2: Yeses and you guys are the most powerful what you do in the country, And I believe in the world because you're all about something. You don't just show up here me and me. It's not good. You facilitate a conversation and you wouldn't let the other person be. You want the other person to be the center of the conversation, to pull it out of him. And you even sacrifice yourself sometimes when the people talking mess to you. You got to know who you are. He knows who he is. Doctor. Can you tell him the quick story is not in the documentary Quick quick story about I'm just trying to do this quick because I want to try to get a lot in a little bit of time. When when you came back with doctor King from the Nobel Peace Prize and President the United States. This was when he saw Malcolm and Rockefeller, and the President United States refused to meet with you guys because he didn't want to ask. He knew was coming and you were in New York. Rockefeller offered you his jet.
Speaker 4: Well, Rockefeller assumed that we were going to see the President Johnson, and he said, you all can let me know what time you want leave. I'll have my jet ready to pick you up and take you down to Origenon. And that was in the paper. So we got an appointment we thought for three o'clock and we got there on time with the President. With the President, we got there on time, but they said he was tied up with the generals talking about Vietnam.
Speaker 2: You don't want to see him, and.
Speaker 4: It I mean, we really didn't get to see himuntil dark. It was about six o'clock, two or three hours later. But we were with the Vice president and the district and the Attorney General talking about voting rights. When we got in with the President Johnson, he was really depressed and he said, I agree with you, doctor King everything Martin says. He said, I agree with you. I just don't have the power. And that was his only answer everything we said. He said, I agree with you. I just don't have the power.
Speaker 1: The president who had the power if you were.
Speaker 4: Then well, he didn't have the votes, and he had just gotten beat up by people who were trying to get him to drop atomic bombs on Vietnam, and so he was depressed. And when we left, I said, doctor King, I said, you know, the president is right. He doesn't have the power, and we don't either. And I said, this is a perfect time for you to take a sabbatical. You need to take three or four months off, go wherever you want to go, think this through, take your family or not, and then after the next election we'll have a better position. And he said no. I said, well, what you going to do? He said, we got to get the president some power. And I said something else and he said no, we got to get the president some power. And finally I said, nigga, you more housemen.
Speaker 2: You broke.
Speaker 4: You see, because the Nobel Peace Prize was sixty thousand dollars, Rockefeller doubled it, so we had one hundred and twenty thousand dollars. But then Martin divided up against all well all six. He gave everybody a sixth of it, every civil rights organization. He split up the money and I said, here, we ain't got a pot to pissing or window the throat out of. And you talking about getting the president some power? I said, you niggas got some nerves. And I was talking. I went to Howard, he went to Morehouse. So we always were picking on each other, and that's the only thing he'd kid you about. But when we got back home, he.
Speaker 2: Said, you can tell you what's about more house men. You can tell morehouse men.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, I mean that was my line. I said, you more houseman got more nerve than a brass ass monkey. You ain't got a pot to pisson or when did to throw it out of? And yet you're gonna get the presidents of Paula.
Speaker 3: What did he say?
Speaker 4: He just said, we're gonna get the president of paul to have it. When we got back two days later, Amelia Boyton called and said she was on the way to see us from Selma. Now media Boytan had been in Selma since nineteen thirty two, that's the year I was born, and she went there at eighteen with George Washington Carver to teach sharecrop of women how to feed their children in the midst of the recession, and so they were doing things like smashing beans.
Speaker 2: Everybody else's story, but what happened in Selma.
Speaker 4: But in Selma when we got to the office, she called and said she was there to see doctor King, and she and three preachers came in and told what was happening in Sela and said we have to you have to help us. And this was just before Christmas. So he said, well, right after Christmas, we'll come over. And you know, everybody has an Emancipation Day celebration on the first of January, and so we didn't have it on the first of January because that was that was the first Sunday, and that's the reason was that threw everything off. But we had it on the second Sunday, and it was we didn't have it on Sunday, we had it on Tuesday. And so but that's when we started to sell them a movement. Ninety days later, Lynnon Johnson was on television saying we shall overcome.
Speaker 2: So back up. So it's an important part of this is doctor King made a commitment to go to Selma. If he had shown up in Selma, the police wouldn't have attacked John Lewis. They would't have attacked you. The wouldn't have attacked doctor King strategically on a bad move. They would have let doctor King march. But doctor King got the wrong date. That's what he That's what just again, history for him is just like talking about like that's a monitor. He just glossed over it. They they told him that lady in Selma a date, but they, oh, I can't come on that date. That's the first Sunday I got to be in my church. So he stayed back and sent and he sent Andy Young Bass Young, I called him Bass to go there for him, like, make sure that the like is in trouble. Don't let anybody march. He got there and said, well, these people will march anyway, but well they're gona probably turn us around, so don't worry about it.
Speaker 4: Well, three hundred people in the country town, that's a lot of folk.
Speaker 2: So they didn't turn him around. They let him march. But then the then the troopers ran. That's that famous film where they ran over everybody and they and they knocked John Lewis out. All that was an accident. I mean, it wasn't supposed to happen because Doctor King was supposed to be there. It wasps have been a proper speech. So all of because Doctor King had to be in his church on first Sunday and they got the date wrong.
Speaker 1: So that called John Louis accidental trouble then.
Speaker 4: And then to talk about good trouble and.
Speaker 2: So that then triggered three months later.
Speaker 4: It wasn't it wasn't that that that was the first of March. Yeah, it was fourth of July. And what happened He signed the Civil Rights Bill. Wow, and that gave us the right to vote.
Speaker 2: Wow, got him some power to the black boys from from the South, flipping the President of the United States.
Speaker 1: You've been very generous with your time.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 1: His interview has been longer than the documentary, by the way.
Speaker 3: Okay, but we appreciate it.
Speaker 1: And I want to leave on this the Dirty Work. If if the.
Speaker 3: Dirty Work documentary could teach one lesson to this generation and the next generation or organizes, what what would you.
Speaker 1: Want it to be?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I called it the dirty Work. But when I kind of realized I had no purpose in life, and the way I decided, I said, if there's something that I think needs doing and nobody else wants to do it. That's my job and that's the way I defined my calling. When I went to work with doctor King, nobody wanted to work with him. He didn't have anybody there, and so I've started, well, whyt Walker was coming down, but he hadn't gotten there yet. And it's and once I got there most of the stuff that nobody wanted to know. Nobody wanted to go sit down and argue with white folks. And I didn't argue because I would I would be cool. But if Jose had gone, he would want to. It would have been an argument because he had to argue about everything. But that was my role, which was which I did, though I didn't necessarily like it to be in that role all the time.
Speaker 2: But it So, what's the lesson for this generation less than.
Speaker 4: Just this generation, is there is some dirty work in any struggle for freedom. But dirty work could be hard work, dirty work could be thoughtful work, you know, whatever nobody else wants to do. Like we didn't want to mess with money. And John decided that he was going to teach folks how to that you can't be free without voting, but neither can you be free if you broke, and so teaching people how to manage money, how to save money, how to invest money, how to know the meaning of money to your salvation and survival. That's another issue altogether. But communications is an issue, and.
Speaker 2: So don't be afraid of doing the dirty work. Embrace it. It is noble work. It's not dirty work, yeah, is that right?
Speaker 4: That's not only is a noble work. Is is the kind of work that has to be done.
Speaker 2: So when when when Charlemagne was doing that internship way back when, and that in that first radio program, and when people noticed you, that was the dirty work. Absolutely, I'm sure you've done dirty work in your career. You've always not been both of you and I always been sitting here prime time. You've had to hustle, You've had to do things and jobs nobody else wanted.
Speaker 1: I still do the dirty work now, m maybe maybe.
Speaker 2: And the work you're doing with with mental health, the foundation, you're doing the stuff that nobody sees. The conversation that we have that at two in the morning about about life in general, all that's the dirty work. And raising your children is the most honorable version. Raising your pain, paying school fees like, we've got to be about the basic We got to get back to the basics and be about we and not just about me. That's really who he is. And I spent most of his interview trying to draw him out.
Speaker 1: This was good.
Speaker 2: You can see him.
Speaker 1: This is good.
Speaker 3: John O'Brien, thank you for bringing this, this, this walking memorial, this iconic, this icon living.
Speaker 1: Mister Andrew Young, thank you for coming.
Speaker 4: Brother, Thank you for having men.
Speaker 3: That's right, and check out the dirty work of this Friday on What's It's a.
Speaker 2: Peak ib globally.
Speaker 4: On MSNBC globally, nine pm, nine pm this Friday. Thank you, brother, thank you, and thank all of your audience. Yes, sir, this is a good This is college on the radio.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: That's a word if you didn't have money to go to college listening, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. It's the Breakfast Club every day a week ago up, Breakfast Club. We are finished for y're dumb.