Speaker 1: Welcome to Games of Names.
Speaker 2: I'm Julli Gentleman, and we got a brand new compilation highlight Reels starting now.
Speaker 3: Now. Corey Dillon on his inspirations at running back.
Speaker 1: I watched a lot of Jim Brown, Jim Brown Ice film.
Speaker 4: Man, and that's who I wanted to be, like, you know, I watched a lot. It looked like, you know what, he get hit, he get up slow, you know, stumble back to the huddle and come back and run you over again. And it was just repeated. And I was just watching him all that film I was watching. He was big, strong, fast, and I'm like, hm, I'm going to try to pat my game after that. And then on top of that, you know, I grew up watching football, so it was like the Tony dor sets try to steal a little bit from him, the Eric Dickerson's they try to, Yeah, big guys, fast, take a little from him. Earl Campbell's, Walter Payton's Berry saying as I never could be like that. That dude is phenomenal. But yeah, I just used to watch the running back position and watch all these great running backs and then be like, hmm, I like that. I'm gonna take a little bit from there, take a little bit from there, and then you know what kind of form my own style, which my thing was, I call it my little bag. Like you know, I may start off the first two quarters running you over, setting you up. Next two quarters, I might try to dance around you and mix it up so or vice versa. You know, just depends on what kind of what they're giving me. Kind of worked out, it worked out pretty good.
Speaker 2: But you also you were always like really good, like the duo play, you know, duo or you have the two double teams and the running back really has to set that up.
Speaker 1: It's all vision, man, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: And you can't be too early lead to the cut or the fucking the guy scrapes over.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you explain that?
Speaker 4: I was real Well, we had this Jim Anderson running back coach for Cincinnati. This is what he preached to me. Constantly slow, too fast through meaning footwork and pressed the line, but at a pace where you could see the cuts. And that's that's all I really did. I never went full speed grabbing that ball. I was always on my footwork and a little patient enough where I pressed that line where I could see multiple cuts. And just by doing that alone, things that opened up, Like I could see the backside, see the defense over pursuing, and then you know what, as soon as I see that opening, that's when I explode through.
Speaker 3: Next up, Lorenzo Neil on the importance of running the ball in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Why was the nineties the best football?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 5: I think nineties people were vibing to try to I'll do the eighties because you knew in the eighties is just hard and the game was starting to change in nineties certain things, more people wearing knee braces or so. Nineties was just still the big safety. The guys that would still want to hit you. You know, Ronnie Lott was leaving and here comes Darius and here comes the John Lynch.
Speaker 6: You know, Doc be Doc, And it.
Speaker 5: Was like, okay, they looked up to those guys, and so you went through those transitions and then it's now it's like, okay, Troy's gone, Paulamo. So it's like what safety just brings fear like it used to be. You have a couple not even gonna say the guys still don't hit, They're still they're still going after but the game is it.
Speaker 1: Is different it's very different.
Speaker 2: But I think my personal opinion is when you like safety is now, you have to cover tight ends, right, you got to be able to play, you gotta, you know what I mean, just because these these tight ends now are receivers a B. Safeties get money taken out of their pocket with big hits now, right, And ain't nobody get paid for how many knockout hits?
Speaker 4: You get?
Speaker 1: What do they get paid for? Interceptions?
Speaker 2: And these little kids have been farming that since these little seven on sevens that you get paid if you touch the ball TfL or I mean pbu's and picks, So they don't even go for the hit no more because you want to get the money. Like that's kind of like we're I that's kind of how because these guys are huge, fast, strong. It's a little smaller because they're faster as far as like linebackers. There's two hundred and thirty five pounds linebackers now. When I first got in the league, Ray Lewis was two sixty, right.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. But he could move, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: But like it's the game has just changed, it has, you know what I mean, And people want those stats because stats turn into dough.
Speaker 5: And when you look at the tight end position now Titans, most of the Titans, you want them, they're too They're too fast for line and too strong for safety because you you changed the game. You had safeties that used to be able to cover. But now these safeties are guys are too strong. This pound them, beat them up, so you got to double them. So there's certain things elements of the game that you have to compensate for because you have went with you know, more of the hybrids, because it's more sidelined the sideline because teams aren't patient enough to say, I'm a lineup and I'm gonna go right at you. And that's why when you look at November and December, teams that usually win usually can run the ball.
Speaker 1: Even the Patriots. When you got and we had James Devlin and he said, hello.
Speaker 5: Oh y'all, tell ja what up? And that's what made you got. Everyone thought, oh the Patriots got break. No, they knew that if you did, if you put eight nine in box, guess what you were going to hurt people. Walker was gonna hurt people when y'all had mosque and hurt. So it's like dare you so, you so and that, But when you run the ball. Corey Dill another guy blocked for in Cincinnati, tough get Downhill can run physical love. So you guys, everyone talks, No, this was not a finesse team. It was still physical and that when you can be two dimensional, you're hard out.
Speaker 1: It's tough out.
Speaker 2: And I mean you look at the last five six Super Bowl winners. I mean Philadelphia Eagles, they ran the shit out of the ball. They tried throwing it the first four weeks. It wasn't until the bye week that they said, hey, let's run the ball. We have the best running back in the league, we got a best line in the league, and then we'll set up our pass game through play action. You know, you look at you know the Rams when they won. They had Gurley, he was a stud and they had off the run game, right you know, everyone, we all fascinate to make this such a spread them and shred them game. But still fundamentally speaking, like the teams that run the ball, like you said late in the year, are the teams that go.
Speaker 1: On to win the Super Bowl. That was because you can control the game, control the game. Not the Niners were doing that.
Speaker 5: You know, a couple of years ago, when they had everything in place, they were still one of those teams hell against against the team that we're gonna watch new the Vikings.
Speaker 1: Bather.
Speaker 5: Remember they ran. They threw the ball eight times NFC Championship. I mean you only through the ball eight times, Jimmy g you know, eight passes. The rest was just run. When you can run the ball and just make teams quick because it checks your heart, you just got to be like man as a guy's four yards three yards and boom, first down, it just kills the momenttal yes, the moralize the defense and even.
Speaker 2: When you're the guy and the like, when you're on offense and a team is running the ball on you, it.
Speaker 1: Takes you out of your rhythm. Yep.
Speaker 2: It's like when you're sitting there on the sideline, you're going over your place for the next goddamn dry We got the third down, you get ready to the offense first. Yeah, they just got three yards. Oh we're up six yards? Right, how the fuck can we get out there? That part and that's what and that's you know it is. I mean, when you when you have a big explosion play touchdown, it's so damn quick. Sometimes you're like, man, we were just on offense. We got our fuel, let's go right. But it's funny, it's the game has definitely changed.
Speaker 1: You're right.
Speaker 2: What is the one thing that you what's like the one bit of advice that you give for the fullback, like if you're going to be the team, because that's a that's a badge of honor. Because if you're on the team and you're a fullback, like you ain't have no backup. You don't have a backup. You gotta know a lot of shit. It's like a mentality thing. My fullback, James Devlin, like the fullback was always like the first guy in the locker room, fucking smelling salt, swallly squat and like drinking cement for fucking breakfast, Like that's what. But that was his job, right he had to show that, like I'm part of the toughness team, and I am the toughness team. What's your advice for the fullback? The young fullback trying to come in and make his his way on a team.
Speaker 5: I think the biggest thing is walk lightly, but carry a heavy bat. I didn't to be anyone's friends I said, we just work together. I'm not your friend. We just work together. We got to you know, you can buy yourself some friends. You have to be mean, you have to be physical. You it fullback to My vice is like it's yeah, it's some technique to it, but it's like, guys, do not want to hit and head on when you see me coming and you see me, you have to make a decision. My advice to fullbacks if you want to make this game come back and fullbacks become an integral part of this game again, you have to be fearless. You have to run in there, whether it hurts or not, and say I'm going to win this battle. I'm talking about cutting the leg when you block, block up and through. If you're going head to head, when you hit, you dip, you lift, and you create a new line stre When you stell mate as a fullback, and you stell mat and the linebacker step you in a hole, you make the tailback now stop his feet. You have to say I'm gonna hit you, I'm gonna stay lord, and I'm gonna push you out of the way. If you can push and get create a new line of scrimmage. Now you give the tail back a two way cut.
Speaker 6: That's what I knew.
Speaker 5: When I played full back, I could see the safety coming down, and I knew if the safety came down, he was playing force, trying to knock the linebacker and make it spill inside. I said, if you know that, if I could get to his inside shoulder, throw my head across. Now you have ladanian safety and linebackers playing air because you created that space. So it's about knowing your job, attention to details, and play the game physical.
Speaker 6: That's what right, you know what.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree one thousand percent more. I'm not a fullback, but I just always hung around fullbacks.
Speaker 1: And I remember when you.
Speaker 2: Know, James ended up fucking like having a neck problem, because that's what you have if you're a and I would explain to the new fullback, okay, that's this is going to happen. This is what you have. This has to happen for you to be a proper fullback. You have to have neck problems. You have to go in and literally look like you're you don't care about your body. You don't like that, and that's what it because you know, then we'd have some other new fullbacks come in they try to go with the chess fird, you know what I mean, I'm like, dude.
Speaker 3: Now Reggie Bush talks his iconic highlight runs.
Speaker 7: I think one of those runs was running NonStop for like two weeks on top ten plays, and so everybody you know remembered that play, but specifically about you know me. People thought I put the ball behind my back and it wasn't a predetermined move.
Speaker 6: It was just I actually had the ball in the wrong hand.
Speaker 7: So as you know, when you're running down the sideline outside, you got to have that ball on the outside hand and so you can stick f him exactly. And I did not have the ball on the outside hand. I had it on the inside. And I really when the ball is in my right hand and I got open field. That's that's where I'm comforting. That's why I'm really like getting I'm taking. So you're you're a right hand guy, right hand you know what's crazy.
Speaker 2: I was always I'm a right handed guy, but I was always a left ki because when I was a kid in Pop Warner, I was the four back and I'd always go to the left.
Speaker 1: So it trained me.
Speaker 2: I always use because I'd always use it to the outside of the hand because they're always getting in the head. So I was like an orthodox, but give me a no, you're good.
Speaker 7: And so what happened to me my senior year in high school. I broke my wrist. And I actually was catching a swing a swing route, and when I went to stiff arm the guy, he was already up on me. He was coming full speed and knocked my hand backwards and I broke this bone right here, the navicular scaffold, which is one of the bones that has like lowest blood supply. So but obviously I was young enough doctor put a cast on it. I played my entire football my senior year with a cast on my left wrist, I think remember, And so I heard that I wasn't necessarily comfortable yet back with carrying that ball on my left hand. So there are a lot of games you might see when I'm in college when I'm carrying the ball wrong again going down left side. But I got in the right hand because I just hadn't got gained that comfort level back with squeezing it and holding it tight, especially when you're fighting through traffic. And so again on this specific play though, when I'm running down the sideline.
Speaker 6: I'm literally trying to outrun the safety.
Speaker 7: And what happened earlier in the game, I had a touchdown where I actually outran him, same exact spot, almost identical. And so this second time, now I'm coming around and I peek out a corner of my eye and I see his head down and he's just.
Speaker 1: Like last time, I gotta go higher.
Speaker 7: I gotta go higher, exactly, And so he learned his lesson, right, So now he's going at a higher angle.
Speaker 6: He got his head down, he's digging.
Speaker 7: And so now I after peaking and I see that, I know I got to put my foot in the ground because I'm not gonna outrun him, and so I stopped. And he was close enough to me where if he actually reached his hand out, he probably could have hit the ball. And so so naturally, when somebody's that close to you, it's either you squeeze it or if you're.
Speaker 6: Trying to get busy, you just do something crazy.
Speaker 7: Right, That's what came out, you know, And that's and I think, you know, when we played the game, a lot of things and a lot of part of most of the game is really built on instincts.
Speaker 6: You know what I'm saying and instincts and.
Speaker 7: Vision, and so for me in that moment, it was all about instincts and vision, and I just my hand went back, I put my foot in the ground.
Speaker 6: I knew I was gonna stop in reverse. I just didn't know I was gonna put my hand.
Speaker 7: On the side behind my back like that with the ball and cut behind him. But and then outrun everyone and then out.
Speaker 1: Everybody next up.
Speaker 3: Brandon Bolden on the tight knit running back room.
Speaker 2: What was the legacy of the running backs room?
Speaker 1: I was the one.
Speaker 8: I was the one constant was I've been through everybody. I was there with Woody, Shane, rid lg Dion Guilessly, James White, Sony Michelle.
Speaker 6: We had like, uh uh even Jackson.
Speaker 8: You mentioned Stephen Jackson, Tyler Gaffney. We I and I've seen everybody, remindre Stevens and Damon Harris.
Speaker 1: I was there with everybody.
Speaker 6: Sexy Rexy, Uh I.
Speaker 1: See Damon on CBS. Yeah, Dames, Dames, Dames doing it.
Speaker 8: Dame's got his kid now too, so it's just like he's hilarious. But the running back room we always since I first got there, and Woody was kind of the one who started it. Bro, you don't have to do none of this ship by yourself. Like, I'll never forget that conversation me and him had. I was like, what you mean. He was like, if you don't remember the fucking plays, bro, look to the sideline, we're helping you. And it was like preseason. I think that was the last preseason game they had bought Jeff in because it was just me. It was me and Jeff, and that's when we started doing like the two backs and they called one play and I just knew I had the wheel. But then I look at Jeff and Jeff was like, no, I got the wheel. I was like, the fuck it? We both about to.
Speaker 6: Run the wheel.
Speaker 8: As I'm starting off on my wheel, I just see Shane.
Speaker 1: No you gotta Oh.
Speaker 8: So I'm running the route on the fucking numbers to the field and Tom threw the fucking ball the other way.
Speaker 6: I was so fucking happy.
Speaker 1: I was like, you know what you had? Did you? No? And no, I got no clue. But that was the thing.
Speaker 8: And it was like from that point on, we always we tried to eat together.
Speaker 1: We want to hang out together.
Speaker 6: I want to know you, your mom, your girl, you.
Speaker 8: Got kids, bring the kids over, and we kept that running back room as tight. Like you remember you you didn't see one of us without.
Speaker 4: The other one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, always together, always now.
Speaker 3: Lashawn McCoy on what makes a great running back?
Speaker 9: The Bills, they still haven't had one thousand yard rusher. So my thing is, where is your real impact? If it's a good of a player, soon you leave the backup of the see ain't thing?
Speaker 4: Nah? How good are you? Really?
Speaker 1: Do you get what I'm saying?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But what if they let's go, But.
Speaker 2: What if the teams because they had such a dominant back, they were like running the ball. They had such the offense was built around the running back.
Speaker 6: Great, great question, and.
Speaker 2: Then all of a sudden they could just couldn't win the Super Bowl. They couldn't get to the super Bowl. So they're like, fuck it, we're gonna we're getting rid of running back. We already had that insane running back. We want to we gotta we gotta evolve to what everyone else is that Maybe that someone could say that.
Speaker 9: Sort of coats So I told you that. I don't know if you heard me. They had Peyton Manning.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So when we go into the game, who who.
Speaker 9: Do you think we trying to stop? You can be about to pack the line of scrimmage up to stop esmen, James. Are we gonna stop pay Maine in that passing game?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Make him one dimensional?
Speaker 6: He stopped the run?
Speaker 9: Noways okay, all right, Well if you think that that's cool, I just got It's everything comes off the run, whether you have one or not, I mean depends on I mean, I hear that. But then like there's some things that we throw the ball. We just we're throwing the ball. I personally haven't had a lot of open boxes running the ball.
Speaker 1: No, you didn't.
Speaker 9: But what I'm saying is if I had a Pagan, I'm damn sure you know what I'm saying. Yeah, but no one put No one put Eggar and James in all time. Great, he's Hall of Famer. You saw the Hall of Fame backs, right these you want it as you asked for, So were going into some of these, these these Hall of Fame.
Speaker 6: Running and James the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: He had a lot of yards though, didn't he He had a lot of carries too. See that's impressive though a lot of probably was healthy too. That's the thing about running backs.
Speaker 9: He had a lot of three hundred yard three hundred carriers. I've only had one. That's impressive.
Speaker 2: A lot of guys get hurt, and we're seeing it right now. Guys can't run the ball, Like, what's the number now, I don't know. They're saying every it's like three hundred and sixty snaps for running back. They're like, if they play that or they have those carries, they're like going to get hurt. That's what the analytics I don't know. So when you see a guy that can do it repetitively, like that's why Frank Gore was crazy to me, Like that dude carried the ball so much.
Speaker 6: Longevity.
Speaker 1: Longevity is huge and running back, but.
Speaker 9: There's nobody that blocks Burn and Frank Gore. There's nobody that plays in.
Speaker 2: The between the tackles. Bro he got good eyes downhill and he's always leaning forward. I've never seen my better than him at that now can He makes the right read always, and he knows how to manipulate blocks the double teams because they always had the double teams with them.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: And he and you'll see a lot of like really like that's the difference between a pro back and a college back. College backs can get away with not making the right lead in the defense. Yeah, they could run through arm tackles and stuff. When you get to the league, it's like there's a track that you have to run because of how the blocking schemes are. And I didn't know that until I got to the NFL, because I was like, this guy's gonna be hell o good, we gotta and then you see that he makes the cut, you know, three three steps too early.
Speaker 1: The guy sheds off the block, and that's that's one of the young back.
Speaker 9: The hardest thing is, damn patient, there's a whole man'te no sell that shit more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, come off his heels, right, they always say come off his ass?
Speaker 4: Pause.
Speaker 1: I always say, coach a pause.
Speaker 6: Dude, Yeah, I paused a lot of the stuff coach.
Speaker 3: Be saying, coaches saying, Now, Reggie Bush talks about the original Bush push.
Speaker 2: Hey, we just had Leonard talking about the Bush push. Did you what's your perspective on that whole thing? My present is I want to see if it dials up. I want to see who's who's talking.
Speaker 7: That needed me on that play one hundred percent needed me. He was going backwards.
Speaker 6: He was going back.
Speaker 7: First of all, all right, let's just when you look at what Jalen Hurst is doing now, they they're trying to call it the brotherly brotherly love shove or the tush push. That's bullshit, all right, it's the bush push, okay, all right. And it started on accident, all right. It was started because I was trying to fucking win the game and I just didn't want to lose. And that's that relentless pursuit, that relentless mindset, like you know, no matter what, we we're gonna score this touchdown. And so before that play, we're in the huddle, it's time out because everything's going crazy.
Speaker 6: Matt just gets knocked out of bounds.
Speaker 7: First of all, Matt got knocked out of bounds and fumbled the ball out of bounds. So it was it was one of those plays where if he gets tackled in bounds, game over. So he gets knocked out of bounds, ball goes out, clock stops, even though Notre Dame tried to keep the clock running. And we get the time out and we're in the huddle and it's just I just remember it just being chaos, and I'm just like, I can't fucking believe we could possibly lose this game right now, Like I can't believe we're in this dogfight with Notre Dame. Like, and so I go to I say to the man, I'm like, what are you gonna do? And he's like, I'm gonna sneak it. I'm like, fuck, literally the first thing came in my head.
Speaker 6: I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: Shit, didn't he say like, yeah, dude, he said he said that. You said like, yeah, man, I think you got it.
Speaker 6: That's not how I felt.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, because he was doing some hand signal things. He said, I got this audible.
Speaker 7: Something like he might have the audible or something right now, because I don't know if this is going to work. And so then we break the huddle and all eleven players are lined up waiting for this QB sneak and I'm.
Speaker 6: Like, man, oh my god. And so Matt hikes the ball.
Speaker 7: He starts getting knocked backwards on a QB sneak. He's moving backwards. I'm like, oh no, this is happening. I just shove his ass, push him as hard as I could bro over the line, and then.
Speaker 6: He kind of like does some little you didn't even like the head down and like.
Speaker 1: Dude, you gotta have a knack for the end zone.
Speaker 7: I'm so glad that we have the Philadelphia Eagles perfecting it now, because you see what it's supposed to look opposed to that's what it's supposed to look like.
Speaker 6: Ours ain't looked like look like a dead fish.
Speaker 3: He was doing one of those moves he learned in the ballroom dancing class he was taking, You're a wet.
Speaker 6: It was a dead fish move. Here was the.
Speaker 1: Ballroom dead seat that he was taking that year, only.
Speaker 6: He slid up in there.
Speaker 7: But but again he needed that push over that over that line, and I had I didn't even know it was illegal at the time.
Speaker 6: I was just like, we got to win this game.