Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallas Cowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club. Cowboys, This is nick shot streaming live on dallascowboys dot Com and the official Dallas Cowboys have and now your hosts, Mickey Spagnola, Everson Wolves, Nate Newton, and Bill Jones.
Speaker 2: Oh, what a beautiful morning in southern California. We're at the corner of Ventura and Vineyard in Oxnard, California, and it is day number two of padded practices. Here for your Dallas Cowboys, Bill Jones, along with the star of our show, Mickey Spagnola and really now the star of our show, just arriving about thirty six hours ago on that long drive west, Nathaniel Newton is here. Hello, Nate, I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 4: I'm excited. I'm excited. I'm excited ever since. I'm not taking your job. I'm just sitting in your seat. Okay, It's about time you got here.
Speaker 5: That's the way I look at it.
Speaker 4: Well, it was anybody hitting. I saw a bunch of guys arounding that underwear.
Speaker 2: I heard the head coach yesterday he said that the real training camp, training camp really starts Todaynday right, and Nate, I I said, well, why didn't you tell us that a week ago with my TV station could have saved a lot of money and we would have just shown up yesterday. See Nate's the veteran here. Yeah, he's smart. He knows exactly when to show up for camp.
Speaker 3: And man, it was a great first day, two fellas, I think you liked it.
Speaker 4: It was a Chris great first day, and I think coach McCarthy did a great job and not only telling us as media that ten padded practices, I think he got that over to his players because the temple was great yesterday.
Speaker 2: And you're hesitant to say that any team has a Chris practice.
Speaker 4: So the first day definitely, definitely you look for a lot of errors, and the parts of practice I saw did see a lot of errors. It seemed like they kept the plays limited a small number so guys could really concentrate on what they needed to do and be physical and it turned out pretty good.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I thought, you know, usually when you have that first padded practice, the defense really dominates. I thought both sides did a nice job out there. Defense got some pressure on the quarterback when they were blitzing and when Parsons was rushing, and then the offense made plays, made some nice runs, a couple of deep passes. I thought Dak and CD were right on point most of the day. So yeah, I thought overall, for a first padded practice of training camp, and as Nate said, you only get ten of them, I thought it was a really good day for him.
Speaker 2: I should also add we have producers Supreme Chris Beam Beam as well.
Speaker 4: He gave me a thing too. I want to say this. He gave me some stuff and I asked him how much he is? What did it cost for my ear floats and all of that?
Speaker 3: Uh? And he said you can just keep him while you're out here in camp.
Speaker 5: While you're out here in camp, yeah, he won't get.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Chris, super producer. Did you know?
Speaker 2: Did you know this about producer Supreme Chris Beam What is that? He has got to be a world champion corn hole player?
Speaker 3: Yes? He is.
Speaker 2: Have you seen him play? He and Isaiah Standbeck were out here last night, huh, and they yelled at me from a distance, so I came over. I mean, you make seventy five percent of your throat.
Speaker 5: He's amazing, so that's what I heard the pounding when I had my windows over last night, all the way over there and Building nineteen and stand back is not.
Speaker 2: A bad player, but it was like every single time I've I watched him make how many how many throws are in one round? Eight?
Speaker 5: Four?
Speaker 2: I mean four? And I saw two rounds he made six out eight.
Speaker 5: I mean it was amazing, like right in the hole on the board, so on the fly or sliding in.
Speaker 2: It's just like he's down. Now we know what he does all day, right, I mean the corner hole game is right around the corner right over here, and that's what he does all day. So he spent all off season doing that.
Speaker 5: It's amazing talking about giving me to play him, so we finally got got time to do it.
Speaker 2: At who won? What do you think he was pulling the curtain back behind the score.
Speaker 5: Of the last game because it was getting out of control.
Speaker 3: I'm asking him about that, all.
Speaker 2: Right, So Mickey, did you go in your bike ride this morning?
Speaker 5: Stationary bike? Stationary bike because this starts at like eight o'clock, so to take a well.
Speaker 2: Last Tuesday you on a bike ride or Wednesday? It was last Wednesday? Wednesday? The first day we did the show.
Speaker 5: When I had a flat time we had a flat tire. Yeah, well that's probably gonna factor that into the workout equation, right, So I figured to do that. I have to get up like at five point thirty.
Speaker 2: Yep, Nate, Hell was your drive out here?
Speaker 3: It was nice.
Speaker 4: I took off and about ten o'clock Saturday and drove all the way to about eight or nine that evening. I got the Demons Arizona, pulled over and you know, got some sleeping, and got up the morning at five and came on in just having fun stopping.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I feel like my mom and dad or my grandfathered them when they used to stop and take twenty five minutes just to gas up, walk around and see the same type stuff over and over, the little souvenirs in each little town.
Speaker 3: But it was great. I love it.
Speaker 4: I'm refreshed, I'm ready to go. It's just like I jumped on the plane and jumped.
Speaker 2: Off, and you're gonna be out here for the rest of the time.
Speaker 4: All the way to the eighteen all right, all the way to the eighteenth of August.
Speaker 5: Oh, so you're gonna have a break here when we go back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you to Colorado, drive down to see Dion and then come back.
Speaker 5: Come back. That's wrong, Just go to Colorado. How long is the drive?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: You don't know his driving happening?
Speaker 5: Oh I do, I do.
Speaker 2: How have you looked at it? How long is the drive from?
Speaker 3: Probably about eight nine maybe ten hours.
Speaker 2: And they're going through preseason training.
Speaker 5: I got to see that at least ten hours, right, Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean he's doing all right, He's doing great. I spoke with him about a week ago after second surgery and he's doing well.
Speaker 4: And uh, the doctor comes right to the office where he's at early in the morning check him out. And he's rehabbing and he had to go into both close not all you know, just right outside is growing into both eyes and go down and pull the clocks out right in his quad lower quad. So he's doing fine. Yeah, so he's doing great.
Speaker 2: You're looking forward to going into the Big twelve next year?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: He told me that about a month ago that he was going into the Big twelve, and.
Speaker 2: I just kind of so I could break that story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing about it is, I don't like to be that one. You know, He's like, don't break it Nate. He said it kind of laughingly, and I was like, you know what, I don't want to take a chance to say, you know, so I should have called you a deal.
Speaker 3: I got some inside. Big twelve is the Big twelve is it is gonna be a good I think conference.
Speaker 5: Everybody's coming back.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: By the way, Dennis Thurman is on his staff.
Speaker 3: Yes he is.
Speaker 2: He was. He was at Jackson State with him too.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know how I know that?
Speaker 5: How did you know that you ran into him?
Speaker 2: Because well I knew that he was with him at Jackson State. I didn't realize he's got friends in Colorado. But I interviewed Stefan Gilmour yesterday and loved it. I mean it was it was. You know, he's a quiet guy. Stephan is a quiet guy, but if you get him, if you hit his hut buttons, you know, he'll start talking. And I went back and looked us at his history with Buffalo. You know, the guy that probably made as big an impact as anybody on Stefan Gilmore in his career in the NFL was Dennis Thurmott.
Speaker 5: Really.
Speaker 2: Thurman was the defensive coordinator with the Bills in twenty fifteen, and sixteen, and that's Gilmore's third and fourth year in Buffalo, and he made the Pro Bowl in sixteen, and then he went to New England after that, and in seventeen in New England they go to the Super Bowl and lost to Philadelphia. At eighteen, they win the Super Bowl. In nineteen, Gilmore wins the NFL Defensive Player of the Year award. But he said that Dennis Thurman was a guy that really he learned a lot from him and it really put him over the top in his career.
Speaker 4: You know, Dennis's coordinator, coordinator over the information. I don't know what you call in college guys that gather information due to out work, do the film work. I don't know what you call those guys. But he's the coordinator. They got about six of those guys. He's the coordinator, like quality control guy over the college. John very nice scouting, so uh, he's big time. And him and him, him and Dianna close because when Dion came home a couple of weeks ago after the first surgery, the guy that was in the office was Dennis. You know, we called him and was talking to him like Dennis, what's up?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 4: Like hey, man, I'm just here trying to make sure everything is running right. And I got to look at these players they talking about to see how they how they fit, you know, like, okay, then like those the guys.
Speaker 3: I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: So I was telling Stephan all about Thurman s thieves.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah wow, And so.
Speaker 2: I gave him a history. Listen. I felt good to being able to tell him again about it.
Speaker 5: So, uh and he can't wait.
Speaker 2: To meet Everson to Stepan, well.
Speaker 3: He will yeah, yeah, he will meet Everton.
Speaker 5: You also had your interview with Jerry. Yeah, was that in the car wash yesterday?
Speaker 2: It was Saturday, specially for you.
Speaker 5: No, that was oh that was Saturday that I saw. They got Saturday.
Speaker 2: They ran Sunday night on all the stations. You know, Jerry is amazing. He okay on just think of what he did on Saturday. Okay. He had the opening ceremonies out there and uh that's when he kissed them Bartie Trophy, and then they had practice and after practice, I bet you, and even he was doing interviews on the field after the opening ceremonies, he was doing interviews with the NFL network was out here. It was back together Saturday all across the on the NFL network and then on ESPN he does something with that order over there, and then after practice. There were probably close to ten TV stations that he did. My interview with him went eight minutes, you know, five to eight minutes with in stations, and then he gets on a plane and before he flew and then he gets on a plane, flies to Vegas and he's in the locker room and uh right before aerol Spence went out there and so and then got back. I guess at two o'clock in the morning. I don't know what.
Speaker 3: So who was who you thought was the tires that the end?
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 3: Jerry Arospen.
Speaker 2: Was going there.
Speaker 3: I didn't see the fight. Mick told me. I'm like, he should give his money back from what told me that was.
Speaker 5: A that was a whipping.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So what I just saw it on Twitter? So what was all I had to see was I saw the knockdowns on Twitter?
Speaker 5: Oh man, they had all three of them.
Speaker 2: People just illegally or whatever.
Speaker 5: They waved the three knockdown rule. Yeah, because it would have been over earlier. Uh So, what was the best thing Jerry told you? Oh? Or what was the most important thing he told you.
Speaker 2: You know, there wasn't anything controversial like there was yesterday with when he talked to the writers about Ring of Honor stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, a couple of coaches.
Speaker 2: I decided not to not to go down the trite Ring of Honor road with him. Although it has been a long time since Gil Brant in twenty eighteen was the last one I went to the Ring of Honor and before that was Darren Woodson in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 5: So there's only been two and two in.
Speaker 2: The last eight years, eight nine years. Yeah, and then you go back further than that, there's been two in what twelve thirteen years? Right, So you know, one thing that I've been struck by just I liked listening to serious NFL Radio and they've got a lot of former GMS and former head coaches on there, and to a man, those guys all talk about the Cowboys and say that this they like this Cowboys roster, they love this Cowboys coaching staff. And so that first question to him was, Jerry, I, I'm here in former GMS and coaches around the league saying this is a Super Bowl roster. Do you agree? And well, I like hearing that, and of course he's not gonna go on record and say.
Speaker 5: Right, he agrees, I mean he's but he's right. If you look at the roster, I mean, there's not many holes. Obvious holes. They got to figure out the kicking deal. But other than that, you.
Speaker 2: Know, backup running back or the running back.
Speaker 5: Tell him what they said about Elliott.
Speaker 2: They there's a hole right there at who's they're gonna pair with Tony Pollard in the backfield? Because you know, I look at Deuce Vaughan as a guy that I mean, we saw the.
Speaker 5: Bursts, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: But he's more of a gadget guy, you know, to start off with, especially in his NFL career, at his size, and I think he's going to make an impact his rookie season. But you know, Ronald Jones now suspended the first couple of games or violation of the performance enhancing drug policy. You got Ronald Jones the running back.
Speaker 3: You checked the wave of wire this morning. Oh sorry, I thought he was on.
Speaker 5: He's still he's still here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Love him on the roster anyway. Final Rick o'dowdell and Maleik Davis. But so I asked Jerry, I said, uh, can you see a scenario where because that day Zeke was was interviewing with the Patriots. I said, can you see a scenario where Zeke could return to the Cowboys? And he said that yes, as we get along into the season. He used the term as we went along into the season, he could. He hasn't closed the door at all on that possibility. He brings a lot in many ways to any NFL team and had nothing but praise for him. But what he said was as we get on into the season. That was what was kind of the terms that he used that kind of couched it a little bit.
Speaker 5: Well when I listened to it when he said that, I took it as maybe not in training camp, yeah, but as we move.
Speaker 2: Forward and in the mindset of Jerry, is going into the season means after.
Speaker 5: They break camp right right exactly.
Speaker 2: Because you're starting to get into season mode then.
Speaker 5: Because the other thing that gets a misconception when they start talking big on some of these rookie free agents, well they're not looking at it just as solely as the fifty three. They're looking at it sixteen guys in a practice squad, and we got to find those guys. And a lot of times when he embellishes some of those guys. It's for the practice squad two And there's a bunch of those guys that they basically gave him guaranteed money, but the guarantee was to cover their practice squad salary for a year. So when they do that, then it's almost certain those guys are going to be on the price.
Speaker 2: And we've talked about it throughout the off season on Zeke. If you go back and look at Zeke's season last year, he was averaging four point one four point two yards of carry right up until the Terrence Steel injury, and then the last five games of the season he wasn't going anywhere in the running game. Tony Poller wasn't going anywhere in the running game. The whole running game fell off at that point. They both averaged under three yards of carry the last five games of the regular season last year. And I don't when I look at this roster behind Tony Pollard, who had nine rushing touchdowns last year, I don't know where those other twelve rushing touchdowns are coming from that zikad last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and if you look at it, I mean, if you're.
Speaker 2: Gonna have the same kind of success in the red zone that you had last year, Then you got to be able to run the football down there.
Speaker 3: I thought.
Speaker 5: I thought from the little bit that Malik Davis got to play and it was only thirty eight carries for one hundred and sixty one yards in a touchdown, I thought he had a little something for a rookie free agent from Florida?
Speaker 3: Is that right? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah? And then rico' donell, we just don't get to see him. He's been hurt and on the I injured reserve.
Speaker 2: On the walk off yesterday, he was a first name out of the coach's mouth that I really like what I was in from Rico.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The thing is, Fellas, you have to play these two guys, and I'm speaking only the two guys, Rico dald and Malik Davis, Right, play them, find out as much as you can of who they are. It's a lot of guys on my list. Who are these guys? Well, I believe that if we leave training camp and we're not satisfied with those two guys. As to back up, I told Mickey, guys, I was traveling and you you didn't have time to call me back, and I was traveling twenty hours here too, California. I wanted to let Nick, No, we have the running backs ric o'donald and Malik Davis. Now we have to play them during the preseason. And if either one of them get nicked to the point where you see they may miss any games, then Zeke is your guy. You call Zeke, say, get Zeke here.
Speaker 3: We're here.
Speaker 4: Here's three million dollars and we'll give you this amount if you surpriss these numbers.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing, we don't know how much, how much willing to play for.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you something.
Speaker 4: In today's NFL market, even Big Henry, if he get released, you will find out and he will find out that.
Speaker 3: The market is not there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So right now, the going rate for an older gentleman, that's a little season, yeah back, yeah, but who's averaged around three hundred carries. So now you gotta you gotta factor all of that in. You have another year, and you gotta look at it from the old man point. You're building on your pension. You just building on your NFL pension. You gotta look at it from a different angle and get Zeke back in here.
Speaker 3: If these two guys, because besides the hunter guy full back. We set.
Speaker 4: We're set at every position, sept Dolphins line, we are set. If these two guys don't give you what you needed and you're not one hundred percent sure, get Zeke.
Speaker 3: Bring him in here, and that's roll. We don't need a new guy.
Speaker 4: We don't need a new guy because he's got to learn our system and learn how he fits and coach got to look at him and break him down. We know what these three guys are are these four guys are depending on we have Zeke and.
Speaker 5: Not And Zeke fits in this locker room right as you know. And I think he would come in know his place. I think he's smart enough to do that and just add that that locker room energy that he adds. Yes, you need a guy like that, right, You need a guy to break up the monotony of football. You need a guy like Nate.
Speaker 3: In the locker Kevin go yeah.
Speaker 4: But if the thing about this, uh, you know, and I and I tell people, man, it's just I hate this feeling of and they spent a lot of years for me where I think we got a real chance to do something special this year, and I hate that feeling because it's been a long time.
Speaker 2: See, That's why I feel the same way, and that's why I'm concerned. If something happens to Pollard, then what yes, you know and not Zeke is the same type running back that Pollard is by any means as far as his home run threat or anything, but a guy that has done it and is reliable back there. All right, We're just getting started here on this edition of Mixed Shots, brought to you by Miller Lite, and we haven't even looked at any of Mickey's long lists on his legal pad.
Speaker 6: When we come back, I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few types of weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life. For crypto pros, rookies, and anyone in between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com trusted by millions, trust it by America's team.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only official fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders, and Cowboy legends. You want to stay at the team Hotel, attend the best tail gay party in Texas, tour the Star and talk ex'es and ods with me Everson Walls. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboystravel dot com to book your travel package today.
Speaker 9: We know that juicy, cheesy, grilled to perfection burger sounds amazing, but it does sound like something is missing. Fcbaby the yin to this Burgers, Yang Burgers and PEPSI go together like well like burgers and pepsi. This perfect blending of flavors makes every bite of lettuce, every sesame seed on the butN, and every sip of that crisp refreshing ice coold coola a journey to foodopia. Burgers better with pepsi.
Speaker 2: That's what I like.
Speaker 5: A shuts Kate Posts Roofing and Waterproofing, the official roofer of the Dallas Cowboys. Have your roof checked by choice, not by chance. Call now two one four two two five four eight six so or go to Katepostcompany dot com.
Speaker 2: Oh, very nicely done, Mickey.
Speaker 4: And we just put this together off air him and the supreme producer Chris.
Speaker 2: Normally Mickey's got some reefs that are that are written out for him. And you just did that off the top of your head, that was.
Speaker 4: Out, Oh okay, back in the old old day with the do you say you did off the.
Speaker 3: Top of your dome back in the old old days. I don't know what they say these days.
Speaker 2: All right, we were talking about Zeke and h the market out there for him. The other thing that the Cowboys are going and are all NFL teams right now as you're getting through training camp and you you've kept money aside in case of injury. And so that's the other thing the Cowboys have to factor into this is let's get to the end of camp. I mean, you've got people that are dropping in other camps without any contact. You know, they just take a snap from center and Joe Burrow goes down, and uh, so you don't know where the next injury is going to come from. And uh They've got a short list of guys at every position group in the league that they would call upon at that probably at that veteran minimum salary.
Speaker 5: And what everybody needs to understand is there is a salary cap, right when we talk about bringing in somebody or whatever, And if a guy goes on IR, he gets paid. And now you've got to bring in somebody else to take his spot, and that guy's got to get paid. So sometimes, you know, I know what the Cowboys like to do when they go into a season. They want to have ten to twelve million dollars of cap space to operate through the entire season. You got to pay your practice squad, You got to pay guys that are on r if they get injured and they're done for the season. If they give them an injury settlement, you got to pay those guys. So you have operating costs that you have to have money in reserve.
Speaker 4: You You all also have to have just in case you have a clean year if you need that one guy.
Speaker 5: Right, Yeah, so you got like they tried last year with ty Hill.
Speaker 4: Yes, we got that one guy, and you got to be able to pay him a satisfy factory deal because a lot of guys do say I'm gonna sit home and if it don't come, it don't come.
Speaker 3: But if it do, you know they'll they'll take it.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't and I don't.
Speaker 4: Want just any guy coming to this team. I think Coach Johnson has made me kind of this way. If you don't if I bring you in here, my guys don't feel you, and we don't feel you. We got to have enough room to get rid of you. You know what I'm saying Now it's a cap but you can't do that now. But that's how we uhould do it back in the day. You know, we want the right type of guy because this team is poised to do something special.
Speaker 5: Because guys that have sweat equity, right, they they're they're maybe more reliable then bringing in a carpetbagger. Right, he's gonna come in for for you know, four games, three games. He hadn't gone through all the hard work with everybody through your list right here. Yeah, yesterday, So yesterday Sam Williams goes down, got a shoulder strain. I was told they didn't think it was that serious. So, uh, we'll see where that one goes. Dorance Armstrong was out with a hamstring. He was working on the side, uh, with the with the trainers. So those were kind of the two new ones. Obviously they've had the previous injuries with Donovan Wilson. I saw Israel Mkwamu was out doing a little bit yesterday, so maybe his isn't as serious. Uh.
Speaker 2: Lewis and Jordan.
Speaker 5: Lewis still on pop and school work is on non football injury.
Speaker 2: So what about Trayvon because.
Speaker 5: He ran on the field, he did individual, Yeah, but he did his work with the trainers, uh and after the individual. So he's got a bruised toe. Somebody said he heard it. Try and carry all that twenty one million dollars signing bonus.
Speaker 4: To wow, somebody had to take a shot, right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I don't think he's serious. I know there was some conflicting reports. Mike McCarthy said, yeah, he should be out, you know, he'll get back into doing something in practice Monday or Tuesday.
Speaker 2: And that's basically what has happened, right, And so I'm taking that maybe what they're the way they're dealing with Trayvon. And here's what Mickey's getting at is. On Saturday, McCarthy at his press conference or in the walk off, said that he was asked when Trayvon might get back out there, and he said early next week. I mean him Monday Tuesday. Well, he was out there on Monday doing individual stuff, not not thirty minutes later. We're asking Jerry as he came off the field after the opening ceremony, saying when do you expect Trayvon back and he said probably it might be, could be when we get back to Dallas.
Speaker 5: And so that was.
Speaker 2: Span of anywhere between two days and twenty two days. Well it turns out, yeah, he is back on the practice field two days later what Mike said after the press conference, But it might not be until we get back to Dallas before he's doing everything unless he has a sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and watching him do that stuff, he looks, he looked.
Speaker 2: They're gonna take it slow with it, right, And the same thing.
Speaker 5: The same thing with Terrence Steele and Tony Pollard coming back from their surgeries. Mike said they would be limited in Monday's padded practice. Well, both of them were out there and team they had the pads and out. They might have not done as many reps as they normally would have, but Pollard looked really good running the ball. Steele was doing a nice job at right tackle, and then when he wasn't out there, well, let's go was getting those reps and that helps him out because he They're looking right now for a backup offensive tackle. Now, think if it's ends up being a long term deal, your backup offensive tackle most likely is Tyler Smith and then you figure out the guard spot. But right now they would like to have a game day guy ready to go, and well, let's Go had missed all that time last year on injured reserve, and they're giving him a good chance, and you need a backup guard and they're giving Josh Ball a chance at that so, uh, you know, somebody, somebody remarked to me that they were watching the second team offensive line. And I don't know how closely you got the chance to watch it, but they felt like this was the most depth maybe the Cowboys have on the offensive line than they had in a while.
Speaker 4: Well, they got a rookie Richards. He ran a lot when they did the pressure drill to pass the drill. He ran a lot with the first team and the second team.
Speaker 5: And they liked and they liked TJ. Bass too. He's been getting a lot of snaps. And Hoffman at center.
Speaker 3: At the right guard was right.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know Fourniac, I think he's your solid backup center.
Speaker 3: But the thing that's amazing about about.
Speaker 4: All of this is I watched coach Mike Clauri work these guys and uh, he had their full attention, you know, he he he commands respect.
Speaker 3: It's it's a different type deal here.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I don't agree one hundred percent which you make. I think the left side is what it.
Speaker 4: Is in Tyrone and and Smith that that that playout, and even if a guy get injured, Uh, you got to pick between Indaga Idaga and and it's well let's go.
Speaker 5: Well, let's go.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But I was meaning like if something happened to Tyrant putting Tyler back at no.
Speaker 3: No think so no, let's let's find us a swing tackle between uh In Daga.
Speaker 5: Let's know. I'm worried.
Speaker 4: We can be worried, but this is where the preseason games are truly meant for these guys. You you you have to find out who these guys are. I mean, and it's good to have the best five out there, but you still have to find.
Speaker 3: Out who these guys that these guys are.
Speaker 5: Oh, I'm okay, went out When when?
Speaker 3: When?
Speaker 4: When When the Butcher, the president all world Martin comeback.
Speaker 3: It's gonna settle this offensive line down.
Speaker 4: And then uh still still is gonna be okay, I just got you gotta have faith. The only person that we worry about is is Tyron and we can kind of control what he does out here in practice, but when the game started is what it is. But you don't I don't like moving two guys to make for one. Just move a guy to left tackle that can play left tackle. You went out and got these guys. You gotta trust in the process.
Speaker 5: Well won't find out. Yeah, in training camp and in those preseason games. That's why they're not gonna play Tyron Smith. That much in presets, not at all.
Speaker 3: I would.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna get a chance to see somebody there pract see what they can do, see the thing with a dog gut. His contract was similar to Ronald Jones. It was a one year veteran exception. Okay, And that tells me if that's all they're paying them, they're not convinced that he is the guy to sink their teeth into if something happens. But he's got to prove something.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, and that's what it is. Right. Uh my deal is this right here.
Speaker 4: What hurt us in the long run in the bigger games are the games that count the most, the playoff games or the division games, because our division is the best, one of the best in the game. The East is one of the best in the game from paper, looking at paper, you can't afford to come into third place and hope you get in the playoffs. You got to be in first or second place in our division to make sure you get you get a spot in this thing.
Speaker 3: And our OFFENSEE line has to be solid. Our offensive line has to be on point. If you got a lot of moving around in there. You look at the.
Speaker 4: Strength of all our teams that we in our division, and every one of them has one thing that's consistent a defensive line.
Speaker 5: All right, you just let me ask one. Okay, you mentioned and you had him for a couple of years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he was we came in together, Yeah, yeah, came He came in as a coach, uh, special teams and offensive line assistant. And I was a rookie, first year guy, brother, and uh, he was a note taking dude.
Speaker 3: And over the.
Speaker 4: Years you see every coach that he's touched, he's got a lit bit of this stuff in it.
Speaker 3: And but he's a hard working guy.
Speaker 4: He's a guy that's easy to get along with, but he's not gonna take any stuff when it comes time to work to make the steam better.
Speaker 5: And when Zach Martin in the off season was asked about what his impression was of Solari, uh, he said he brings a lot of energy into the room, and I think that's a good quality for the offensive line.
Speaker 2: And when we come back mix shots brought to you by Miller Lite, I'm gonna ask Nate about Zach Martin.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 7: The Medal of Honor is our country's highest military award for valor in combat. More than forty million individuals have served in the armed forces since the Civil War. Fewer than four thousand have received the Medal of Honor. The National Medal of Honor Museum will be a place to preserve these legacies and inspire America. It's being built right next door to the Dallas Cowboys in Texas. Help us honor our country's greatest heroes. Learn more and get involved at mohmuseum dot org.
Speaker 6: I'm Douk Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys. Blockchain dot com is one of the most trusted ways to buy, sell, and trade crypto. Whether you're always on the go or stay closer to home, blockchain dot com is just a few taps of weight put the power of crypto in your pocket, so no matter where you are, you can trade on your terms and build a crypto portfolio to fit your life.
Speaker 2: For crypto pros, rookies.
Speaker 6: And anyone in but between, blockchain dot com makes it easy to own a piece of the future. Blockchain dot Com Trust it by millions, Trust it by America's team.
Speaker 10: Hey Cowboys Fins, ready to spice up your next watch party? Bring Yo Kiero guacamole. Be the game day hero. Yo kiro means I want and we know you want. Great, fresh tasting, ready to serve guacamole for your homegating and tailgating events. Made with real avocados and the perfect blend of spices, it will be the star of any party. You can find us at your local Albertson's or Tom Thumb in the deli section. If you can't find it, talk to your store manager and tell them Yo kiero, Yo Kiero Guacamole.
Speaker 8: Star Sports Tours is the only efficient fan travel partner of the Dallas Cowboys, offering exclusive game weekend travel packages with pregame, sideline access and photo ops with current players, cheerleaders and Cowboy legends. Want to stay at a team hotel, attend the best tail game party in Texas, tour the Star and talk x's and o's with me Everson Wallas. With Star Sports Tours, you can visit Cowboys Travel dot com to book your travel package Today.
Speaker 5: To mixed shuts. Do you eat, Sleep, and Breathe? Dallas Cowboys football Nate Newton tell us how you spice up the game for a chance to be named the twenty twenty three Cowboys Fan of the Year, presented by Captain Morgan and win exclusive prizes plus a trip to the Super Bowl fifty eight. Nominate yourself or another today at dallascowboys dot Com Slash Fan of the Year.
Speaker 3: So you said that was Captain Martin.
Speaker 5: Oh, Captain Martin? Yeah, speaking of captain, speaking of the Captain the president.
Speaker 2: With Jerry how much?
Speaker 5: Wait what ay tell you about him?
Speaker 2: Same thing he told everybody else about his contract. I think I asked him, how does this thing get resolved?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And of course he didn't answer that.
Speaker 5: Well, I think he said, well, it doesn't need to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's what he said. It doesn't need to be resolved. He just needs to come back to But his point is they've got Parsons to pay. They've got well they just paid Digs to pay.
Speaker 3: They still next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Terry Steele and Dak and whoever, Yeah, got up here.
Speaker 5: And that was his point. He wasn't saying they can't give Martin any money because of solely Michael Parsons. If we met everybody down the line, they got all these guys that they got to take there.
Speaker 2: We redid, if we redid all our long term contracts because of the market ships, we wouldn't have a team.
Speaker 5: Basically, it'd be like Nate walking into Jimmy and said, I need more money.
Speaker 3: I did do that and and he says, Son, You're lucky to have a job. The door where you leave out.
Speaker 5: All right, so make sure no one else comes in. Yes, right.
Speaker 2: For Zach Martin, how many how how late can it go for him to be ready to play in the season opener?
Speaker 4: All the way uh, all the way up into the week of the game, because he needs to prepare to play the game the butcher is going to do. They call him the butcher. I call him the president. But Zach Martin is He's a beast. He's gonna have some rusts because and I'm more worried about the rust between him the center, uh the oddish and Terrence Steele or whoever may be playing that right tackle, because he is the glue to this whole offensive line. He I mean all the way out to your left tackle. He is the glue. He is the guy when things go wrong, his calmness settles everything down.
Speaker 3: Hey know.
Speaker 5: And one of the things they talk about it in the off season was with this McCarthy taking over the offense, they were changing up some of the protections. Yes, and remember he didn't get a chance to work in the OTAs or the mini camp because supposedly he was rehabbing a soft tissue injury. Well, this might have been the start of him balking at his contract. So if he doesn't get all this work, I think it's not his ability.
Speaker 3: But it's language.
Speaker 5: You may hurt him and coordinating with the other.
Speaker 4: Guys and then he right make the language coming from Dak. You can get the language from Coach Salari because they're probably talking and keeping him abreast. The language coming from Dak may may be a little bit different. How quick he get a play and how you know to rush the time on the clock, and you know how you can say hey, da da da da and you know what he means, you know, but you can't dae da da da.
Speaker 3: But a guy who been out of camp, you know.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for both of you who cut your eye yesterday.
Speaker 5: Immediately the hookup between Dak and CD doesn't look like they've missed the step. But what I really liked seeing was the energy and the ability to get open with Cavante Turpin as a wide receiver. We know he's kind of the return guy right now. They said they were gonna get him into this offense. Well, when he's got opportunities, especially in these padded practice he made two or three really nice catches and he was getting open. So that caught me eye immediately. That and the ability to hit deep balls, not just Dak, but Cooper Rush to connecting Michael Gallup who beat Stefan Gilmour down the field, and then Dak. I don't know that he can overthrow Brandon Cooks on a deep ball.
Speaker 4: The whole practice itself, I I I I I just from coach Tuh translating from ten padded practices to the field and enthusiasm that guys had just to be out on the field.
Speaker 3: I like how they opened it.
Speaker 4: I wish they would open up with the combo runs at the beginning of practice once they straight I wanted to straight to combo runs because we had to wait too long to watch Mazzie Smith and all of these guys play and get and get into some physical stuff and that that was very impressive. The first play took off to the left side and it broke. I mean, now Tyron didn't get a great block, but he held it enough where the running back just shot through the apolot shot through there for a touchdown.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: But I did see a young fifty eight Massie do what he's supposed to do one time when he jammed up the guard Smith and U and Tyrone couldn't get off and it just spent fourteen just run free, make a big play for a big hit, and.
Speaker 3: Uh that stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Is you looking at this kid because he is eating up bodies And I saw him do that a couple of times, So that really jumped at him and Mazie ed up enough blocks so them linebackers can run through Love.
Speaker 5: I mean, you got to do a lot to move him.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: You can just look at him. I mean you could tell how strong he without him even moving a muscle.
Speaker 3: And he ain't. He ain't.
Speaker 4: Uh, he ain't sloppy, fat man, He ain't. He ain't fat out. But you know what I'm saying, Yeah, I looked at him, man, man, man, it kind of made me. It's you know a lot of times when I look at players and I'm not saying what this kid is gonna be during the season, but if you look at if I look at a player and I'm sixty one.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 4: If I look at a player and he kind of makee the hackles grow up on the back of the neck. I mean, I think he may got a little something in him that make me want to get at him.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Did you have somebody Well, I was just gonna say this about Mazzi, if you have somebody that he's got the person he's got, He's got some Mica in his personality. He's got a confidence about him and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that going to become a Michigan guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, genuineeness about him or I mean when you talk to him, he's real when he's when he talks to you, you know, uh, and.
Speaker 4: He's so you're saying that the other sixty guys are not really just only him and Parsons.
Speaker 5: Wow, what do you And by the way, Parsons, he didn't take no prisoners yesterday either, yea his pass rush. They were having trouble blocking man, and I'm sitting there going, oh, I don't know about these tackles, and I'm thinking, no, it's Michael Parsons.
Speaker 4: I had to check myself the same way, right, I Mean, I saw him flinch a calf muscle in the whole right side, jump outside.
Speaker 3: He just flinched a calf muscle and the whole right side.
Speaker 5: And here's another thing.
Speaker 3: I noticed what they're doing.
Speaker 5: Uh, keep an eye on what they're doing with Leyton Vandersch, especially in some nickel situations when they feel confident on a linebacker taking over that middle. If they're only in one linebacker, they've lined him up as a defensive end and he's rushing. He's not blitzing, he's rushing. And I asked him about it, and he didn't want to talk about it, and then he turned around and smiled. He goes, just watch you see it just like.
Speaker 2: That, right, And that also it tells you what how they feel about the other linebackers like Clark.
Speaker 5: Right, you know that Clark can handle it in the middle, or they're kind of starting to use Cocks a little bit more in there.
Speaker 3: He can run.
Speaker 5: And he is so athletic, he can flat well if they keep him healthy and you can use you know, I mean, they've got linebackers that are versatile can do other things.
Speaker 3: I saw him hit a hole. He hit it too soon.
Speaker 4: Yes, he's still fell back, I'm telling you. And on they laugh at me because I'm always missed optimistic.
Speaker 3: But I'm telling you, fellas.
Speaker 4: If we fix this offensive line and we have minor injuries our defense man, it is, it is ready out from the I see no weak points. People keep talking about the linebacker line. No, there's no weak points because coach I talked to Coach Quinn yesterday. He has a plan for everybody. All you need is for the players to stay motivated and play within the scheme that is designed for him.
Speaker 5: Well. And just remember if if they have a problem linebacker, Michael Parsons can still play linebacker, right, you can still use him there. He's got to be on the line of scrimm.
Speaker 4: Now, he's got to be on the line of scrimmas for everything to work. It's like Lawrence Taylor. They would move I remember playing against the Giants. They would move Lawrence everywhere on the line because it made everybody else play free.
Speaker 3: But if you lock him into.
Speaker 4: A certain spot, and I don't want him to ever linebacker because.
Speaker 5: If he has got a line, but he gotta move them around some more.
Speaker 3: But he gotta fight through something.
Speaker 5: Well, he could get double team on the line.
Speaker 4: I don't want him thinking see the first few years. I didn't mind him thinking, now, see ball, get ball, have no responsibility. You have no responsibility. The other the other ten guys, you have responsibility.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 2: We have a responsibility. Our responsibility is to be done with the show right now.
Speaker 5: Did Chris give you the high side? No?
Speaker 2: I just looked at that.
Speaker 3: Roofing.
Speaker 2: It's no longer Miller life time.
Speaker 3: Well you've been saying that middle of light at all times.
Speaker 5: You all right, we'll be back on Thursday.
Speaker 2: We'll be back on Thursday. Thursday, it is, and the break is coming up shortly.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Well, how about is this job here