Speaker 1: Native lampod is a production of iHeartRadio in partnership with Reason Choice Media.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.
Speaker 3: Welcome, Welcome Home. This is our mini pod.
Speaker 1: This week we are talking about black face and white face. This is an age old discussion. We've been having this conversation in our community for many, many years. For some reason, white folks really want to be able to say the N word, especially when they rap in, and they.
Speaker 3: Want to end up in black face.
Speaker 1: So Jake Paul, just like all of us, were completely enamored with Drew Ski's skit about white conservative women and how they be like and Jake Paul wanted to answer it.
Speaker 3: Let's roll the clip of Jake Paul.
Speaker 4: I want to ask you something because I've been over the last couple of days calling makeup artists and I was going to do a response to this and like, go and do like the fool on darker, Yeah, and do it and just do it back because why not? Yeah, Like, are we on the same Blaine field?
Speaker 5: Like I think if you if there's a way to do it, oh singing in well this even this sentence, but if there's a way to do it, I've been here many times, if there's a way to do it, I think, yeah, I think there needs to be some black support for the character. I think like I'm saying, like say, if uh, Drew Ski, or I'm trying to think of somebody else, Charles Barkley, Charles Barkley, if you got one of those guys to be like, hey, if you don't want you to do this skit with me, let's do this.
Speaker 4: But but still, that's that's pussing out you think it is? Yeah, to me, there's a level of like that, doesn't that make.
Speaker 6: Us more.
Speaker 4: Like prejudice? Like more prejudice again makes us if we have to partner with someone. Drew Ski just dropped this and he's done it a couple of times, exactly. I love it. This is great. This is how humans should be. I agree, we should fucking make fun of each other. And I don't see in color. I see in truth and comedy. So like, what are we talking about? So you're saying what era are we living?
Speaker 3: So can I can?
Speaker 6: I just can tim real quick?
Speaker 3: I watch you, I watch you to time here real quick.
Speaker 1: And then I want to roll what they are responding to, which is Drewski's original skit I want to hear that.
Speaker 6: Well, part of the part of the reason that what THEO vonn and one of the Pauls and I have a whole reason with understanding why Logan and Jake and I don't know which one that is are actually famous, right because they don't do anything really well.
Speaker 2: I've heard of him.
Speaker 6: So one of them is a professional wrestler in w w E and the other one is a boxer, but he's not a real professional. He just was like a reality show guy that started being a mullet one. No, that's the THEO von is the one to the left with the mullet. Okay, Jake or Logan, whichever one that is is the bigger one. Okay, but let me just explain to you what racism is really quick. Drewski is a comedian who does skits. Right, Paul would be a random white guy dressing up in blackface. Do you understand the difference between the two. Like one is actually in his lane doing the work that his lane does, which is make people laugh in every way shape form that he can. Logan Paul just wants to That's Jake, Paul. Jake. Paul just wants to dabble like I said, I don't know diff between. Yeah, he wants to dabble in stereotypes and just not necessarily do comedy. He wants to do racism. So my whole point is that Drewski's doing comedy, the Paul guy is doing racism. So I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I kept trying to listen no, because where I was, I was kept listening for like, what does he want to do this? Like what is he he do? You just want to put on black face? I mean there's no, He's just like, well, they did it and for us to go full sell, then we got to do it and we can't put it out. We got to do it by ourselves. It's got to be just white people. And I'm thinking, have you not seen centuries of that? And even when it was done for centuries, it was also done And anyway.
Speaker 1: I think, and and the one thing I and we're going to take issue with you Bakari before we played Drew Ski's what he did, and then the women who he's making fun of, and he's on point with by the way, the comedy the comedic exception. I also don't I won't allow because I remember when Ted ted Danson did this. He was dating Woopy Goldberg. Woop be Goldberg was defending it. And I don't think it's ever funny for white people to be in black face because of the historical reasons that it's problematic and I actually endangered us. Whereas white people who are in positions of power privilege, if we are mocking them.
Speaker 3: Dave Chappelle mocked.
Speaker 1: Them in white face, if that's what you want to call it, white chicks, which I respectfully I love the ways, but that's the worship job of it.
Speaker 3: Did you know they did it? Are there are other moments where this has happened.
Speaker 1: But it's not to make fun of the.
Speaker 3: Human being you are.
Speaker 1: It is to make fun of some of the characteristics that you embody. And to that point, yes, and to that point, let us go ahead and roll the juic ski mashup that nick so wonderfully put together.
Speaker 3: I serve a righteous God. We did what we usually did before towards we said our prayer, and that is why we say our prayers, and we asked the Lord that his will be done.
Speaker 2: We have to protect all men in America, especially all white men in America.
Speaker 3: Don't let anyone disenfranchise you because you're.
Speaker 2: A young man, especially a young white male man.
Speaker 3: Don't ever let anyone talk down to you. I'm trying to find a lie.
Speaker 2: But that's what, right, that's exactly well. He didn't even have to exaggerate much. He just basically repeated the lines.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's but that's what.
Speaker 6: That's what comedy is, right, comedy. He's done it to Black Pastorge. Comedy is taking a mirror to the lives we live and allowing us, through all of our trials and tribulations, in trepidations, to at least be able to find the humor in some of our you know, faults, some of our pimples, some of our warts. Right now, what what the Paul boy is doing is saying, no, I want to I want to just land bass white people, I mean black people real quick, because I feel like I have that privilege and that ability. I don't even think, you know, racism is so prevalent now, I don't even know why. He was really asking Theovion for permission, like, just go out Dan and be racist, do the black face thing that you want to do. Go to go to Detroit. Why don't you go to Detroit and post up downtown in black face and let's see how that. Let's see how that work out well.
Speaker 1: And I think the other thing that is important here is, you know, Jake Paul's rise to fame is you know, plotting these different boxing matches. With all due respect to Nate Robinson, who's a hometown legend and basketball superstar, he got his ass not completely out on stage by Jake Paul, and I just got to say, you know, this is something where I'm like, not only are you not in your lane, you're showing how you have benefited from black culture. I know he's got a ton of black followers, and now you've made the mistaken assumption that now you are one of us, that you can do what we do. And that's why I don't separate this desire to do blackface from the desire to say the N word.
Speaker 6: So somebody explained that to me, Why do they want to say it's so bad? Why do people want it? Why do want to say we.
Speaker 3: Need a white guess for that? Because I don't.
Speaker 2: Know, why do they want to be so bad? The same question, by the way, you know what I what I interpreted from this man's interest in wanting to do this is to make the point that if you can do it, so can we. Like, there was no higher message than that. It's like, if it's okay for them to like Drew Ski just did, then what's the problem if I just want to do it with no I mean, no fidelity to history, no understanding or grounding and where blackface came from. And it wasn't just satirizing, it was also the exaggerated exaggeration of our features, our looks our again, not comedy, but insults so far as that they were attempting to levy. And moreover, they took work from us. They put you know, you had characters on plays, on stages in performance halls that were painted black because they refused to bring black people into the establishments. And then they again in those same places, used our skills and talents exaggerated them for their own pleasure. So I just think that the guys should just read a little bit of history or something. And typically the way societies work is that the majority acts to protect the minority. You don't use your majorities to pummel those who don't have your same numbers and representation. That's why I took issue with governors deciding to create legislation to go after three four people in their state. You don't do that when you're in the majority position. And for the time being, sir, you all still happen to be in the majority, and not just by a number, but by representation and power.
Speaker 6: What I don't want is for the difference between what Jake was talking what we're talking about with Jake Paul, and what what Andrew was talking about. Is I believe what Andrew was talking about in terms of government structure deserves a proper outrage. I would prefer people just to ignore Jake Paul m treat it with the level of respect that I think it deserves.
Speaker 2: Oh, I thought you gonna use your other great quote, which was the more skilled you are, the more you get, the more runway you get, the more talent, the more talent, the more run So, brother, your time's up.
Speaker 1: So on this, Jake Paul says in this podcast with the ovonn he says, I'm obviously Republican, and all the Republicans being mad about this is like an l for Republicans because this is hilarious and even though it's dark and twisted, this is what comedy is.
Speaker 3: So he at least acknowledges where they're you know, is.
Speaker 1: A flat side for the Republican Party because you know, they were up in arms saying, you know, well, what about that? You guys were mad about this Obama ape comparison, But how are you not outraged by this?
Speaker 3: There were black Republicans who were doing that.
Speaker 1: And I think that the other thing that's that's really fascinating here is he talks about in that clip that we.
Speaker 3: Played that he doesn't see color, but he.
Speaker 2: Wants to be black.
Speaker 1: Face, but wants to be put in black face. So I thought that was pretty dog gone fascinating. And the other thing that he says, and I would love to hear y'all weigh on on this part. He says like, are we on the same playing field?
Speaker 3: He wants to know.
Speaker 1: Why he can't wear blackface? If quote, are we even on the same playing field? What is you all educated answer to Jake Paul on whether or not Jake Paul, this white man is on the same.
Speaker 3: Playing field as Drewski or any other black mirror.
Speaker 2: DoD you know a black person who wears black face?
Speaker 3: Yes, we can't take it off.
Speaker 2: No, but but even us we're different.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, we can't. But I know, like wait a minute now, like Bamboozle Man, Tannah, Sleep and Eat a legendary black face characters, but.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: And then to serve a certain perfect purpose to.
Speaker 2: Certain I would just do, but we don't. We don't go around painting our face with shoe leather polish as a general rule. So part of them, even in drisky skin, he could have been the women he was imitating.
Speaker 3: He didn't.
Speaker 2: I mean, it may have been exaggerated only because he's a heavier man or whatever, so he can't be the same size as what's his names, you know, widowed wife. But he didn't go in there doing anything other than reflecting what these women had done in real life. So I just I'm confused by them. I think my point at the beginning is still the same, which is is there's no point that they are trying to make other than if they if it's if they can do it, so can I. Yeah, And unfortunately I don't get to make that same judgment in society. I just want to make a walk down the street with a lemonade in his hand and confront whoever he wants to and have his.
Speaker 6: Way I just want to make I want to make a new native. Let's not talk about uh, let's not talk about Jake Paul anymore.
Speaker 2: It's not really about him. It really.
Speaker 1: I wanted to play the Drewski skit and we never got to it. And I thought, what was interesting here is this return not just of Jake Paul, but of white people desiring to put on black face and of white people desiring to say the N word. What can I say it if I'm rapping.
Speaker 2: The actor who said that because he just well you used it. I mean, he said negro, but you all see it all the time. Why can't we say he said, go ahead and say it?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, that with.
Speaker 6: Delroy Linda Say. He did say, Well, I want to do with the news, he said, just say it?
Speaker 3: Was that a real Was that a real news clipper? Was that an from a show?
Speaker 2: International shows?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 1: This also happened on like a comedic. I don't know what show that was, but I know that Chris Rock was on there, Jerry Seinfeld and this other white man and he says the N word and Chris Rock laughs, And in that moment I wanted to pop him like Will Smith did.
Speaker 2: Again, we have a lot of us who are performative still and a lot of spaces, A lot of us are still performing in a lot of lists. But my only like forget all the They they they want to reset the clock when they want to reset the clock. They want to reset the conditions, when they want to reset the conditions. Why didn't you want to reset the conditions to create the same easy entry to the same colleges, to the same schools, to the same jobs, with the same pay, with the same expectations and skills and performances. No, no, no, no no, you didn't want to reset the table. Then you didn't want all things being equal. Then it's only when you want to do when you want to defame us, demure us, remind us of our lesser place in society, then all things need to be equal so that you could play that role.
Speaker 1: You know what, Andrew, this reminds me just to get us back into one of the topics from the main show, and you're slightly off center. I guess so, am I I just want to make sure we don't make it so hard for Jordan to cut later and Bacari's blurry, but I know they can figure that out.
Speaker 3: But you know.
Speaker 1: The thing that I just thought about is when I posted the thing from my solo pod on Tuesday about Tucker Cross, and I'm like, this is your guy reminding them that they've been on the wrong sides of the issue. One thing that keeps coming up and I don't know if y'all have seen this, but they keeps coming up. It's like, well, don't you want them on our side now? And my thing is they're not really on our side. They're on our side about one particular issue. But let's ask them about DEI, Let's ask them about affirmative action. Let's ask them about access to housing. Let's ask them if our paycheck should be the same. Let's ask them if they support the freaking save acts. Right, So, all of a sudden, you will see MAGA colors still shining through on all of these other issues that matter. It's great that we can align on an issue or two, but they still are problematic across the board on a lot of other things. And on this issue we see Jake Paul being problematic, but this ain't the only place where he's problematic.
Speaker 2: Sure, right, And as my response to that is, we can ask those questions that I'm going to ask it after the election, so long as I believe that the issue that we share in common is the issue that is powering your vote, because too often we may have an issue in common, but it's not the one that is decisive to how you're going to choose. So I need you to We're gonna ride so long as our common shared cause, very in which we are in common cause, we also make the right common decision in the elections. But I get the fact that their alliance is temporary. It's not even temporary. It's not formalized.
Speaker 6: It's transational, transactional.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I'm just saying I don't want to make the bar too high for I see you for who you are. It just so happens on this occasion we are in common cause, and so long as that common cause drives your vote, I'm riding. But let's be clear, I haven't forgotten who you are.
Speaker 6: I also just hate this because I'm going back to this comment because mediocrity is like one of the banes of my existence. Like I just I despise it in every form. And Drew Ski is very skilled at what he does. And here we are comparing this white boy who wants to do a skit to somebody who has worked diligently since buying videos to grow a platform, to be able to hit the marks, to be able to do the makeup the right way and hit the language the right way, and do the church get the right way and outrage people and respond to him the right way. And now somebody wants to jump in his lane, and everybody's like, oh, he's just like Drew Ski. No the fuck he's not the Yes.
Speaker 2: How is how awesome is it to move throughout the world assuming that whatever it is that you see done regardless of whatever barriers existed for the person who's doing it, Like, oh, I just I woke up today, and therefore I should Right, it's the same thing, like, oh, because they can do it, then so should I. Shouldn't we also just be able to do it? Were you ignoring a whole bunch of things? All right, a whole bunch of stuff that goes into this thing? But you woke up today? Okay? I get it myself.
Speaker 3: I ain't got no necessary I don't either. I feel like we beat this dead horse.
Speaker 2: The horse is dead. It's on the horses dorses.
Speaker 1: But if you guys see these people in my comments saying like you should be.
Speaker 3: Glad that they came along. That's true, Andrew.
Speaker 1: But for the rest of y'all, everybody that watches our shows, and we do want to remind you all to please make sure you rate, rate, review, and subscribe to our show.
Speaker 3: Please send in your videos.
Speaker 1: We want to hear your questions, we want to hear your comments. I know we've been slipping a little bit lately, but we've had so much to say on everything.
Speaker 3: That's going on. And lastly, please join us Atlanta.
Speaker 2: There is a family you.
Speaker 3: Versus morehouse competition.
Speaker 2: We want to see anybody.
Speaker 3: From Seattle you and you get too, and the atl come through.
Speaker 1: I don't mind beating these guys, but yeah, buy your tickets today. City Winery, we will be in Atlanta. We're gonna have some special guests for y'all. We're gonna have a very good time. We will be live all throughout the summer leading up to election. Making sure we're going to try to do a live show a month. It's ambitious, but.
Speaker 3: We're gonna try. And we will be in your city, a city near you soon.
Speaker 1: But definitely make sure you get those City Winery tickets in Atlanta.
Speaker 3: We will see y'all soon. Until next time, Welcome.
Speaker 2: Home Home, see your Nati yell.
Speaker 1: Native Lampard is a production of iHeart Radio in partnership with Reizent Choice Media. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.