Speaker 1: So we're gonna talk about one of Rider's favorite subjects today. Well, it's loosely is that medical stuff?
Speaker 2: Food?
Speaker 1: No food? Do you see food? Okay? So yes, food.
Speaker 3: So here's why I traveled to go get some food when my ankle was hurting.
Speaker 1: No, I'm kidding. No, So because it kind of is.
Speaker 3: Going to go into what we're talking about today with our guest and with the recap that we've just done, because Sue and I have kind of been on a little bit of a hunt for just a great we're big cheeseburger fans. We don't like, we don't eat them a lot, but a hunt around to go find the best cheeseburger.
Speaker 1: And somebody told us about a place called the munch Box.
Speaker 3: Now, the reason that the Munchbox is so famous not only because it makes you giggle every time you say it. It's been around since the fifties, but it is where so it used to be across the street from a strip club. And all this is a this is all truth. You can all look at all this up. And it is where Charles Manson used to hang out when he dropped his girls off at the strip club to make money.
Speaker 1: And when you go there.
Speaker 3: Now, there's actually a stone that he wrote he'd like carved his name in, so it says Charles Manson was here.
Speaker 1: So we're like.
Speaker 3: Eating our burgers in like this culty kind of place.
Speaker 1: So it goes all with all the cold stuff.
Speaker 3: So I saw a stone the other It was a great burger and they put chili on everything. No, no, no, just the right amount, so it's like you just get this hint of smokiness. It was quite wonderful. The history of the munchbox was great.
Speaker 4: That is great. So you don't mean chili's like you mean chili chili.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they put chili on their burgers, on their dogs and on as well.
Speaker 4: When you get it with culture, you.
Speaker 1: Can you can.
Speaker 3: You can also know because they put just the right amount on it, you could still taste the meat.
Speaker 1: Is very wonderful. And I was very wonderful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you recently told me about a great burger place near our house.
Speaker 1: Let's smash. Yeah awesome.
Speaker 4: I know I haven't been there yet.
Speaker 1: Oh it's marvelous. It is a marvelous, marvelous place.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay, I do love a good cheeseburger. I know this is writer has nothing to add to this, except for the fact that he told us about a great cheeseburger place near his place that's like a like a McDonald's but better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is not possible. Burgers never say die.
Speaker 3: Speaking of round things that you eat, we won't call it food. But I have a question for you, Danielle, because it's a question my wife and I post to each other. We often ask ourselves very deep philosophical questions that then lead.
Speaker 1: To other things.
Speaker 3: It's our own form of pre show chatter that my wife and I like to age it. If you had to give up either donuts or bagels for the rest of your life, which would when she was a kid, that's not a word for me, I know, because I know how much you love donuts.
Speaker 1: But you'd never have a bagel again. That would you be okay with that?
Speaker 4: Yes, a bagel is just a hard donuts. That's what I say to. You can do so much more with bagels than you can. Sure, And I do like bagels. I like sweet bagels, I like everything bagels. I like all kinds of bagels, I love all kinds of smears. I like it. Would never even don't do it. Don't do it. And we talked about munch box. That's an ash, guys. No, I would never. I wouldn't even I wouldn't miss it. I would if you told me I could, I had to choose. I wouldn't think about a bagel again for the rest of my life. My brain would. They would be white from my brain.
Speaker 1: But doughnuts, Okay. It's like the food or sex question. Do you have if you have to give it by the food or sex, which would you give up?
Speaker 4: I mean that's so easy.
Speaker 2: Yeah again, if we can magically not die, you'll take sex.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like, yeah, so you never you'd keep sex in your life and never eat again?
Speaker 1: If you would, if you'd still be alive.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, I would so miss sex while covered in pizza sauce.
Speaker 1: I like sex, I do. That's great. But oh man, have you ever had a let smash? They're phenomenal. Put a little chili on it perfectly.
Speaker 4: Just don't get the chili near the munchbox. Welcome to Bobby's world. I'm Danielle Fishall.
Speaker 1: Wilferdell.
Speaker 4: We knew that tackling an episode as iconic and as bt ish crazy a cult fiction would bring up a lot of questions. Maybe We didn't expect as many about monotheistic religions, but we knew some new thoughts would go totally unanswered, and one of them was, who is this Sherry and where is she now? She may have ensorceled Sean into a cult, like she's a Los Angeles pastor putting together a TikTok dance crew to abandon their families, but she also was so good in the episode we wanted to know more about her, and so we tracked her down and asked her to join us. The Orange County born actress is best known as Chandler in the classic movie She's All That and as Lily Esposito in the early career Ryan Murphy TV show Popular. She was also seen on Seventh Heaven, Jag and Psych and in the criminally underrated Brady Bunch movie. Later, she would decide to step away from acting to raise her daughter, and in a weird twist of fate, the week we found her on Instagram, she announced she was dipping her toe back into acting, a decision we for one, are happy about. Today on Meets World, we welcome a terrible influence on Sean, but someone we are very excited to reunite with anyway, it's Tamra mellow. Yeah, well, welcome. We are so excited to see you. Well, we are so excited that you're joining us today. This is a very rare occurrence for us where a guest star had an even crazier storyline on Boy Meets World than they did on Seventh Heaven.
Speaker 5: I seem to consistently play a creep.
Speaker 4: Is Sherry your creepiest character?
Speaker 5: You know? I gotta say so. I watched it last night. I don't think I've seen it since it aired. It's a real trip revisiting not yeah, like I hadn't had my visial line yet.
Speaker 4: Oh, I think it was.
Speaker 5: I think it was my first job. I think it was my first job. Really yeah. But looking at this particular episode through the lens of today is startling.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, Okay, So I have so many questions. Do you remember auditioning for the part?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do, because I had to audition so many times, did you Yeah, which is so weird for a guest star, But I remember it being a lot of times.
Speaker 3: They tended to do that for this special episodes we've had. Really yeah, other guest cast come on, who say, like I had to read four times. I had to read five times for kind of some of the bigger episodes. So I think they were putting all their eggs in the cult basket for.
Speaker 1: There were really this episode. They're pushing that one.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was a very special episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Had you watched any Boy Meets World before you auditioned for it? Oh?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I knew the show. You guys were like iconic by this time. You know, my fourth season, you guys were everywhere. So I knew this show. And for me, as like a baby just starting out actor, like the stakes were very high, Like getting this job was a really big deal. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Do you remember what your thoughts were the first time you read the script?
Speaker 5: You know, I don't because it was so long ago. But it's funny because watching it back last night, when Sean is confronted and told that only a handful of people care about him, I said, well that's me. Five seconds later, my character is like, only a handful of people care about you. But truly, this was at this point in my life. I had probably read Helter Skelter four times. You're laying a cult member like that was my reel house rights.
Speaker 4: During our rewatch, we were really impressed by you because between you and Jerry Levine, you two really ground a storyline that could have just completely gone off the rails in the first thirty seconds.
Speaker 5: So nice.
Speaker 4: Do you remember any approach you had going into the role or any notes you were given about the week, Ash.
Speaker 5: I honestly don't. I think I was so nervous. I was so nervous because truly, like I'd maybe done like one like tiny budget independent film before, but I had never done multi cam certainly, and so it was a real like crash course in like acting for the camera.
Speaker 2: Wow, it didn't come across that way, come across so confident and you're so you're so centered, you're so grounding.
Speaker 1: No, but I mean it's what works, you know.
Speaker 2: It's like that when you're in your we were commented or the fact that you're like seeing in the background like lurking, which is a little weird, but then like once you're in the scene, like once you and I are hanging out and talking, it's like, oh, this is really comfortable. In fact, to me, I was a little like the fact that we're like holding hands with the second I was like, oh, oh, we're like have we been dating for a while. All of a sudden, I'm like, we're so relaxed. It's a little a little maybe too much.
Speaker 5: But it's a group for me very quickly, and well.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's what we because we already did a recap where we watched it and like we ended up talking about that, like this whole thing takes place in one day, Like I am a full cult member by the end of one after Yeah, it maybe it.
Speaker 5: Takes you an hour to be convinced that even though you call it, you're like, this is a cult and we're LA and then you're like, sign me up.
Speaker 1: Yep, I know.
Speaker 4: I mean even said, like you even point out, oh you laughed there, that's that's a mask people used to hide it, and then thirty seconds later the whole place laughs, and it's never acknowledged that, Like, wait a minute, you're the one who just taught me that that's a mask for something. That part's definitely a little little crazy. Do you remember there being any specific mentions of Scientology during the week, because we had talked about whether or not the cold was kind of a veiled I just play on scientology in LA. Do you remember it ever being mentioned outwardly.
Speaker 5: No, I don't think anyone mentioned it outwardly. And actually I don't even think I clocked it until like when we were watching it last night and he's like, no, that room's for celebrities, and my husband went, oh, it's scientology, right, I didn't even clock it.
Speaker 1: When I watch it, they were like, that's scientology. They had to tell me.
Speaker 3: It was like, that's directly, Okay, that's a direct reference of scientology.
Speaker 1: I had no idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the funny thing is, I remember talking to Jerry about religion, like very specifically about religion, but I I don't even think we chatted about cults.
Speaker 4: Right, yeah, the cults. Really though, when you watched the episode, it was something writer or pointed out is that it was actually much less an episode about a cult more than it ended up feeling about an episode about the importance of monotheistic religion. Perhaps.
Speaker 5: Yeah, my son, my seventeen year old son, goes, wow, this just got religious real quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And by the way, if you've watched every episode of Boy Meets World leading up to that, it also still it feels like that because the show isn't overtly religious often no, certainly not up until that point, So it does feel a little like it comes on the only.
Speaker 2: Thing we've ever done is celebrate Christmas so far, I think, right, Like, yeah, I think.
Speaker 1: That's kind of generic and not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, we never talk about church, like our characters never talk about any of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I did think.
Speaker 5: It was an interesting choice, especially for you know, it was like a major network Friday night like show, and I don't know how common that was back then. I don't remember, but I have to say, writer, you handled it beautifully. You had that like we'll talk to God.
Speaker 2: It's a.
Speaker 5: Very heavy handed, but it was lovely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he did do a nice job.
Speaker 2: But it would have been, like it's so funny how your character just disappears from the episode, Like it would have been so great to resolve, like if Sean had just sort of have like gone back to the center to get his things and like had like had a mister Mac and Sherry car like maybe gotten you out of the colt. Like yeah, but as it is, it's like you just disappear and like this cult is just gonna keep existing.
Speaker 3: And I don't know, mister Mack could have killed her for the power that she held.
Speaker 1: That's why we never saw it again.
Speaker 5: Well, here's the thing about mister Mac. I mean, like, let's talk about this character like he's he's a kidnapper at.
Speaker 1: Best, right.
Speaker 5: Do you know he's just housing all these underage children and them it's real, real creepy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, do you remember?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sorry, Danielle, I just because maybe you can answer this because we we talked about it but couldn't ride or thinks, but we couldn't really remember.
Speaker 1: Was there an audience that week? Yes?
Speaker 3: There was, okay, perfect, We couldn't We couldn't remember if it was done in front of the live studio audience or not. Some of them aren't with some of the bigger swing sets and stuff, so we couldn't remember if this was one of those episodes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, it was. It was. It was an audience, okay, and that was one for me because I'd only ever done theater. So you know, I mean, you guys know that energy from an audience.
Speaker 1: Is so it's the best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you mentioned working with Jerry. What other memories do you have about working with him this week? You guys obviously got to work pretty closely together.
Speaker 5: We did, and honestly, I only remember that one conversation or I don't know if it was one conversation. I think it was an ongoing conversation. But I remember him telling me that, like that Judaism is the smartest religion because it is all based in facts, Like all of the things are based in fact, like you know, don't eat pork, you could probably get sick from it, like stuff like that. That I was just like, you're right, interesting me, Like that was my takeaway is that the Jews have got it right and everybody else another.
Speaker 4: Really, that's the best possible story you could have. I mean, I've never asked a question on a podcast and had someone deliver.
Speaker 1: So was behind the seeds Loki converting you.
Speaker 2: Or probably not even converted you, just letting you know the telling you proselytized it.
Speaker 1: So that's the thing. So Judaism is the best religion. Bo.
Speaker 2: So if we ever, if we ever wondered if behind the seeds of boy Bet World there was a religious.
Speaker 1: Agenda there, it is.
Speaker 4: Okay, let's go let's go back a little bit. You've mentioned that this may have been your first show. It was certainly your first multiicam. How what was your origin story? How did you decide to become an actor.
Speaker 5: Well, I I wanted the love and affection of my father.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it. Interview We've ever done.
Speaker 3: It?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 5: I was, I was in college. I was in acting school, and then I I got an agent, and so I dropped out of college and I started. I started working, and it was slow, you know, like I had a job at the Beverly Center and I sold shoes, but I am it was called privilege. It's now the Louis Vuitton score.
Speaker 4: Oh I love that Privilege became the Louis Vauton store.
Speaker 1: I like it.
Speaker 5: That's privileges origin story exactly. Yeah. I just I started getting jobs like like Boy Meets World and like doing little guest stars and and that's how it started. And I was, you know, it was sort of the time when people were really looking it. It was like like teenage shows and movies were having this renaissance. Definitely, so I was lucky, Like you know, I was. I was in my twenties, but I looked like I was fifteen, and right, I was.
Speaker 2: Going to say, you must have been slightly older than if you already in college. Yeah, because I was seventeen and ninety seven so you were in nineteen twenty or.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it was probably twenty one.
Speaker 4: Wow. Okay, And so you did the Brady Bunch movie, which is such a big production and with how beloved the TV show was a pretty hope, high profile set to be on so early in your career. Where did the Brady Bunch Movie fall in relation to your guest star on Boymet's World?
Speaker 5: I think it was probably very shortly after, Like I remember it in like where was I living? Yeah, so yeah, I think it was really shortly after Boyman.
Speaker 4: What was What was that set experience?
Speaker 5: Like, you know, it was fine. I think I was ultimately cut out of the movie. You might see me for two seconds. So what it was, by no means my big break.
Speaker 4: You are seeing there's photos of you on the internet in it?
Speaker 5: Oh is that true?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Oh okay, cool? It was.
Speaker 4: It was cool.
Speaker 5: It was a big set, It was a big production. So I was a little bit like I remember like getting my call time and you know, I was like, Okay, I'm going to start work the next day and everything's going to be cool, and I get a panicked call from an a D who was like where are you? You're supposed to be here, and I'm like, my call. She says tomorrow, it's tomorrow, and he's like, no, it's today, Get here, So like, can you imagine that kind of awful panic? It's like one of your first jobs and I'm like rushing to Taft High School from Venice it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Will loves locations most.
Speaker 1: So listen.
Speaker 4: He lights up from the inside and he is familiar.
Speaker 2: He knows a place and maybe as a cousin who went to school there.
Speaker 4: Listen, we all have different things that light us up.
Speaker 1: I love locations. Danielle likes your kids. It's different. It's what it is.
Speaker 5: We all have copies.
Speaker 1: Yes, thank you. Where are you right now? Exactly right?
Speaker 4: Where do you currently live?
Speaker 5: Really?
Speaker 1: Drop a pin? Drop a pin? Okay?
Speaker 4: So I want to talk very briefly also about Seventh Heaven, because I think a year before you joined us on Boy Meets World, you were on Seventh Heaven, which has always been said to be a fun set filled with other kids, and there's plot lines like siblings almost kissing each other and a diner owner pressing charges on a child who stole a drinking glass. What are your memories?
Speaker 1: Wait?
Speaker 4: Is that true?
Speaker 3: Is that real the ones you just said, there's one where siblings almost kiss.
Speaker 5: Yes, I just read about this. Did you read about it recently? Because I think Beverly Johnson was talking about it or something.
Speaker 4: They were practicing.
Speaker 5: They were practicing, right, and then the dad saw them and was like, what's going on here? And they're like, oh, no, it's nothing, don't worry about it. And he went, Okay, I've got to watch this show.
Speaker 1: So did anybody join the cult?
Speaker 4: That's what I really want to know. So what was your experience on that show?
Speaker 5: They were nice. They were really really nice to me. And you know, I had auditioned for nine o two and oh was that still on then? It must have been. So I had to audition for Aaron Spelling. I had to sing and it was so scary, and he was so nice that he was like, well, you're not really right for this role, but would you do this role? It was. It was the nicest thing. He's such a nice man. And so, yeah, I gotta say they were all very lovely and welcoming and kind.
Speaker 4: But did anyone try to convert you to Judaism?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm okay, I'm right. I just again, I want to remind everybody that we have that.
Speaker 6: Yes, okay, while doing a show about joining I mean, that's the levels here are just really intense.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, then you would also star in Ryan Murphy's first show ever, Popular as Lily Esposito in over forty episodes. What was it like working with him at the start of his insanely prolific career, Bananas?
Speaker 5: You know? It was Ryan is He's how do I describe, right? I mean, he's he's so special and he's his mind works in ways that you you just don't see it coming. And so Popular was so weird. It was such a weird show, but it was so fun. We had a great time. We did the strangest stuff and yeah, it was cool. It was a cool ride.
Speaker 4: Okay, So back to Boy Meets World. What do you remember about working with writer and writer? What do you what are your memories working with each other that week and what the relationship was like working with the director and getting all of these these performance beats for this kind of wacky episode out.
Speaker 1: I remember feeling incredibly comfortable like that.
Speaker 2: What's funny to me is like watching it now and hearing you say that it was one of your first jobs. I'm like, oh, I felt like you were. You fit right in and it was like very smooth, and I don't, oh, well.
Speaker 5: That makes me feel so happy. When I was watching it, I just I noticed at one point, like you're in the shot and you just see my creepy little hand on your shoulders claiming you. Well. One thing I remember though I'm working with you is people kept telling me you look like Writer's girlfriend.
Speaker 4: M m oh, you heard the story.
Speaker 5: You heard about this, Well I only heard I look like writer's girlfriend. But now Rachel Lee Cook said girlfriend. She's one of my best friends.
Speaker 2: Really, ye still very cool because she came to set. She definitely came to set while we were filming the episode. Oh she did, yes, And I remember talking about it and like having that and that's why it was so funny that you guys ended up being and she's all that after the fact, you know what, like two years later yea, so oh that's so funny.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we were just at a wedding together and we were walking down the street and people go, those are twins. I mean, mind you. We were in New Orleans and everyone was very drunk.
Speaker 1: So gosha.
Speaker 4: People never seen twins before I'd never seen two twins and then screamed, Joy, it's.
Speaker 5: Just drunk people in New Orleans, and we don't really look that much alike.
Speaker 4: We're just tiny, petite brunettes.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Right, were the siblings brother and sister? Were they? Were they both? I can't stop? All right?
Speaker 4: Yeah? I mean in any parent knows if you walk in and see something weird going on with your kids and you say, what's going on, and they say, it's fine, don't worry about it. Everyone knows you're you accept that and you leave you you leave them alone, you turn off the lights, absolutely leave them alone, and say got it. Thanks, thanks for letting me know. I just wanted to check in.
Speaker 5: Everyone knows about parenting.
Speaker 4: That's where I get all my advice. So were there any roles you auditioned for in your career that were roles you really wanted, but were roles that got away?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: God, yeah, probably most of them.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I know, anything anything you actually auditioned.
Speaker 5: For I didn't really wanted it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: That is that is our that's what we do. I remember so many rules, reading a thing and being like this one, I really want this one, and then you're just they I saw you and took your head shott and throw it into the garbage the door.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and like you've worked on it, you've memorized the script, you've written your backstory, and you're like, this is it, this is my moment. And I one time, I can't remember what the job was, but I I went to the audition and I was so pumped. I was so excited, and I could hear them through the door.
Speaker 4: You yes, I hate that feeling the worst.
Speaker 5: And this director was talking to this actress and laughing and they were in there for twenty minutes.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm sweating. I'm sweating at the bott of it. I already. Yeah, it's like.
Speaker 5: So I walked in and I you know when they give you like three scenes and you read the first one and they go thank you, thank you, thanks all, and I went no, yes, which I said, I heard you in here chatting this girl up for twenty minutes. I want to read the other two scenes. And they went, okay, I'm not going to shut you up.
Speaker 1: Listener.
Speaker 5: I didn't get that job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I cast.
Speaker 5: The director never brought me in again.
Speaker 4: Oh that's a that's a rough feeling. I once had an audition where I was doing the scene and the casting director stopped me in the middle of it and then gave me a note and said, I want you to start again, and I want you to take that note that I just gave you. And I said okay, and I started it again, and he stopped me again in the same place. He gave me the exact same note, told me to start it again. I started the scene again, and halfway through the scene, he goes, Wow, you're really visceral, aren't you.
Speaker 1: Visceral visceral?
Speaker 4: And I went and he went okay, thank you.
Speaker 5: Oh God.
Speaker 4: I was like, I never want to do this again. I just never want to I just don't want to do this anymore.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I had.
Speaker 3: I had somebody actually that had thrown my picture away right after I walked out of.
Speaker 1: The room because I went back.
Speaker 3: I was with my parents and I went back and I was like, oh, no, I'm sorry. I think I gave you the wrong headshot. And she's like, it's in the trash you can cut out. And I literally had to grab it from the trash can, like rooting through trash to find my picture to walk to walk out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had a casting director answer her phone, put their finger up, answer the phone and then talk. But mid scene just have to sit there and then put it down. Okay, let's keep going. You're listening.
Speaker 1: This is important to you.
Speaker 5: It's the system that it's really setting you up for failure. And like when they say, like you just go in there and you act like you already have the job, but it's impossible. Yeah, when people are you know, like I've had people eat during like network tests. I've had people like sitting in the back eating their lunch, and you know, it's like the best thing I think that has happened is is the COVID pandemic. It's the best thing that's ever happened for actors because like now you just get to talk to help tape.
Speaker 1: I got to get back into the industry. It's now built for me.
Speaker 4: I know of all the time, I know it is true because I remember that is part of the frustrating feeling is all the time you've spent prepping, memorizing your lines, doing all the stuff you mentioned, the backstory and all the all that work, and then a minimum of a forty fifty sixty minute drive to wherever you're going in traffic, waiting in the waiting room, then going in being inside the room for maybe a couple of minutes, yeah, maybe even less if it's if it doesn't go well, and then you have all that time to drive.
Speaker 1: Back, drive back again.
Speaker 4: And now you can self tape and that comes with It's all with its own host of issue.
Speaker 1: Done it. But I would hate it. Yeah, I mean I think, well, yeah, I'm just not. Yeah, I always.
Speaker 2: I always hated, Like I mean, I'm going to old school, Like I liked auditioning without cameras in the room, Like I liked it when it used to be you just met person. And I remember, like during Boys, when they started filming you every time and it was all to a tape for other people to see. And I remember hating that because it changed the vibe. Like, you know, I liked it more theatrical, like where it's like, oh do we connect, do we talk? You know, it just it was more of a person to person connection. Being from auditioning out of New York, we couldn't do that. You were always all the shows are in LA.
Speaker 3: So we had to we had to be put on tape every single time. The opposite is also true with auditioning, though, when you have those great auditions, if you had the ones when you leave the room and they come running after you like.
Speaker 1: Wait a second, can you come back here?
Speaker 3: And they do that in front of everybody else in the room, and you're like like, okay.
Speaker 5: That went well, it's the best.
Speaker 1: It's an amazing feeling, and you can get that.
Speaker 2: But I always feel like those are set up with so much respect, right like usually, like for me at least, if I ever showed up for an on and they knew I was coming and had anything any sort of like identification of like you're a.
Speaker 1: Human being, I would do better.
Speaker 2: Like you know, if I showed up and had to wait like an hour and a half, invariably it was an awful audition. Like you know, it's just so clear that if you give actors respect and treat them well, they'll ride, they'll do better, Like people respond better when you're when it's just a cold call, like oh it's the worst.
Speaker 5: I know. Just how about just give people water?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I know, apologize up when things are running late and a casting director does come out and says, hey, guys, I'm sorry. I know this is the last thing you want to hear. But we're running a little bit late today. We started late because we had an important meeting that came up. I just want to let you know we are getting getting to you as soon as possible. Like knowing that and you're not just wondering what's going on. It's so so different.
Speaker 3: At least treat us like we're stuck in a plane on the tarmac. Right, you know, you can use the bathroom, let her know what's going on.
Speaker 1: We're good.
Speaker 5: We don't demand much.
Speaker 4: No, So, Tamra, you're from Orange County, right, Yeah, Well, I grew.
Speaker 5: Up in Diamond Bar, which is I think it probably says on my IMDb in Orange County because I didn't write that. But I went to school and I went to college in Orange County, so maybe that's why. But yes, I grew up in.
Speaker 4: California, Okay, And so although only maybe an hour without traffic from LA, it can sometimes feel like a lifetime away. What did your parents and your friends think about you auditioning and becoming an actor?
Speaker 5: I think, you know, my dad was very supportive. My dad died when I was in my twenties, but he was very supportive. But I say this now, I think I think if I had been born a boy, he would have been less supportive, you know what I mean. I think he just thought she's a girl, she's cute, someone will marry her and take care of her, so like litter averagery. Yeah, but everybody thought it was cool because it wasn't. I didn't grow up knowing anyone that was an actor. Yeah, and I think you sort of need that, uh like that feeling of like, well, I can't fail at this. I've been very successful in community theater. Could is? Could it be any harder than that? And it's like it takes that sort of mindset to do it, because if you knew what the odds were against you, like, you wouldn't try.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean everyone must have been very impressed with you making it to it, you know. And she all that alongside Freddie Prince Junior, Rachel Ye Cook, Matthew Lillard, Paul Walker, Usher, Clia Duval, Lil kim My Love and a Emilia Anna Paquin Kiaren Colkin. I mean, this must have been quite an experience.
Speaker 5: Everyone is in that movie.
Speaker 1: I forgot that. Geez, that list is crazy.
Speaker 4: What was that experience like.
Speaker 5: It was really really fun. It was really fun. Yeah, Like I like Paul Walker and I got close and he would confide things in me, which was a really cool thing. And it's a very you know, it's it's a sad memory. But everybody was close. We were like it was like we were in high school together. And and like Rachel says now because she tracked me down several years ago and was like, listen, I didn't go to high school, my high and we're going to be friends again.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Where'd you guys shoot? Was it in La or? Oh? What you care about? The location?
Speaker 5: Ready for this one?
Speaker 1: You shoot a taft Connecticut? Where'd you shoot?
Speaker 5: No? It was Torrance, Torrance High School? And then we shot a ton of stuff in in like the Palisades mostly I think we were in the Palisades.
Speaker 4: So do people mostly recognize you from that movie? Or do you ever get recognized as a cult a leader adjacent from Boy Meets World.
Speaker 5: I don't know if anyone's ever recognized me from Boy Meets World, but I do occasionally. It hasn't happened in a while, but I've gotten some very strongly worded direct messages.
Speaker 4: Oh really, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like leave Sean alone. You know what you're doing. This is a cult, like like from like deeply unhinged people or maybe writer alone.
Speaker 3: God.
Speaker 4: Wow, you know people have strong feelings, they very.
Speaker 5: Strong feelings, and you know people are watching it now and I think they think it's real time and the line is so blurred between scripted television and reality television.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well then years ago, I mean you mentioned your seventeen year old son. Has he seen your work?
Speaker 5: Yes, ish, But like I remember I tried to show him She's all that when he was maybe like eight, and he went, I think this is a little adultish for me.
Speaker 4: I love it, which is fair.
Speaker 5: Because like I think he was reacting to Jody Leno keep licking Matthew Lillard's bare chest, right, And then when we were gonna watch this, I said, will you watch it with me? And he goes, I've already seen it, And I was so excited that he's been secretly watching Wow. But like, I don't know that he's ever seen popular like I was in a movie called Trtish Soup, which I've made him watch a couple of time times. But he well, he might care, but he pretends that he doesn't care.
Speaker 1: Well he's seventeen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so everything I do is embarrassing.
Speaker 4: Well, years ago, you decided to step away from Hollywood. I'm sure that was a decision that wasn't easy, considering you had been acting since your late teen's early twenties. What led you to that decision?
Speaker 5: It was largely having my son. I did a pilot when he was I think three months old, and it was single camera, so you know, there's ins yeah, like stelevision seventeen hour days, and it was hard. It was just hard to be away from him. So I decided to sort of step back and I started a jewelry company, and I'm lucky enough that it's, you know, fairly successful.
Speaker 4: What's the name of the jewelry company? I used to mention jewels and I will location.
Speaker 5: In Los Angeles, California.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, tell me more.
Speaker 5: It's called Gray by Tamramelo. Gray is my son's name.
Speaker 4: Oh I love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I've you know, I'm already I can tell.
Speaker 5: I'm like I always say, like I'm such a cliche, like I was an actress and now I sell jewelry on Etsy. But it's it works. So it's it's been really nice for me, But now that my son is older and doesn't need me anymore, now I'm like, maybe it's time to like dip a toe back into acting like I miss it.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm so excited to hear that. I know the week we like found you, not that you were hiding or anything, but the week we discovered you on Instagram, we saw that you had posted that you were jumping back in and it's very exciting. Do you have an agent? Have you started auditioning? Where are you in this process?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I have an agent, and I have my same manager that I've had since boy me its world and she was sort of fundamental and being like don't you think wouldn't you just want to try? And so yeah, like I had an audition yesterday and I taped it in my bedroom, Like it was like really easy and fun. So this this feels like an easy sort of transition back in because I don't have to do too much leg work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you're right now that now that things are self tape and you can do it at home and your son is older now like it does it feels like a real nice entry point. So if you had to describe your dream role now, what would it be?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 4: What if you could?
Speaker 1: I just said, how long that took for Daniel to get.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, I didn't hear what you said, and then all of a sudden, I like landed in.
Speaker 1: My ear chabata.
Speaker 4: Okay, if you had to drive, describe your dream acting role. What would it be?
Speaker 1: Number?
Speaker 4: Would it involve the cult leader?
Speaker 5: I have my old No, it would be it would be comedy, like I love I love comedy. I love the schedule of a multi cam Yeah. But yeah, Like when I was younger, I was really into you know, I was like I want to be dark and complicated, and now I'm like, I just want to have fun. Let's just have fun and make people laugh. That sounds nice.
Speaker 4: Yes, Well, as you mentioned, we asked you to watch the episode last night, So looking back now watching a completely insane Boy Meets World episode that you were such a highlight in, if you had the chance to tell that twenty year old on screen that you saw something today, what would you tell her?
Speaker 5: Oh? God, I think I would probably just say like, don't don't take it all so seriously. I remember just being so stressed all the time and like, oh I have to read all these scripts and it's so hard, and it's like, no, you have this. You have been given this gift of like being able to work in this industry that like is a dream, and so just like, remember to have fun, Yes, remember to enjoy it a little bit along the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, hopefully now that you are dipping your toe back in and you know, you get the opportunity to experience it all over again with a you know, relaxed, more fun, mature perspective on everything. It's the same lesson for a writer and I when we look back and watch the show, we think, man, I wish we were We did have a lot of fun, but we also work so preoccupied with thoughts about where we should be, what we should be doing, wing what we were missing out on. And you know, life was passing us by right in front of our eyes when we were daydreaming that life was actually happening somewhere else. So I can so relate to what you're saying. We look forward to seeing you in many more things now. We thank you so much for coming and spending your time with us today. It was an absolute pleasure to see you. And I will be buying I'll be buying some jewelry.
Speaker 5: This was super fun. Thank you guys so much.
Speaker 1: Thank you great to see you too.
Speaker 5: Bye bye.
Speaker 4: She's so much fun. Yeah, she doesn't seem culty at all. No, that's how they get you. Oh, you're right.
Speaker 2: Was into like helter skelter and kind of because that does seem right. You know, you can tell that she kind of likes being a little creepy when she was acting in that character because she isn't. She doesn't get that many jokes, like I don't think does she never laugh ever, Like she's she's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's cool. But I love that Now in our real life she's is very relaxed and funny.
Speaker 3: So this story about just Jerry, all the stuff Jerry was saying.
Speaker 1: I was dying.
Speaker 4: It's amazing, amazing story. Well, thank you all for joining us for this episode of Pod Meets World. As always, you can follow us on Instagram pod meets World Show. You can send us your emails podmeets World Show at gmail dot com. And we have merch.
Speaker 1: Where is the merch? What is the exact location of the merch?
Speaker 4: It's at podmeetsworldshow dot com. Will Yes writer send us out?
Speaker 1: We love you all, Pod dismissed.
Speaker 2: Pod Meets World is an iHeart podcast producer hosted by Danielle Fischel, Wilfridell and Ryder Strong Executive producers, Jensen Karp and Amy Sugarman Executive in charge of production, Danielle Romo, producer and editor, Tarasubasch producer, Maddie Moore engineer and Boy Meets World Superman Easton out Our theme song is by Kyle Morton of Typhoon. Follow us on Instagram at podmeets World Show or email us at Podmeats World Show at gmail dot com