Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, Radio News.
Speaker 2: The Stock Movers Report, your roundup of companies making moves in the stock market, harnessing the power of Bloomberg Data.
Speaker 3: I'm Carol Messer along with Tim Stanvik. Let's get to you some stocks on the move this hour. And joining us to do that is Bloomberg News Equities reporter and deputy team leader for US Equities Carmen Rhin in case she's in the house. We talked about what's going on in the overall markets, but one stock really under pressure is AMD today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and shares are off about sixteen percent right now. This is on track to close at the lowest level since well just January ninth, but to have the worst day since May twenty seventeen. So a really significant job here for AMD. So basically the company gave an underwhelming sales forecast and that really increased concerns that investors have had that is just not making enough progress on AI, that it's not capturing enough of the billions of dollars of capital expenditures that like hyperscalers have pledged to building out AI infrastructure. I think the other thing that's really important to point out here is that their forecast. So they said first quarter sales would be about nine point eight billion plus or minus three hundred million. That actually was a little bit higher than the average analyst estimate. I think she really goes to show how much the beat and raise is important, but also beats need to be very considerable. Investors are so quick to punish the shares of companies that aren't like blowing expectations out.
Speaker 1: Of the water. And the stock in twenty twenty five was up seventy seven percent, down eighteen percent the year before, but still, I mean, it's if you look at the last few years this has been on just Iran, Yeah.
Speaker 4: Huge beneficiary of AI.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and was thirteen percent higher already in twenty twenty six before this release. So exactly, you're right, Like, I mean, the expectations are pretty high. All really listed in the tech space. This was one we were waiting for earnings last night. They came in late. Super micro Computer Yeah, so SMCI is.
Speaker 4: Really you know, taiale of two AI stocks. Right, So shares are up thirteen percent right now, best day on track for the best day since May twenty twenty five. And really what we're seeing here is just the opposite of AMD. You know, they gave a forecast that you know, said they're doing well. They see more demand for AI, especially as a maker of servers that house chips that run these AI workloads. So investors really bidding shares up here. I mean important to point out that the stock you know, fell it's just been super valid all you know, up down. If you look at the chart from last year, is really all over the place, so well off highs.
Speaker 3: I was going to say, check out our podcast because I feel like we get schooled by our in a good way, our Bloomberg intelligence folks who are like, here's what this company does, and here's what the AI trade. Because it's not all the same. It's not all maybe the hyperscaler trade or play, but it's just kind of the distinctions are important and you're seeing that play out, and certainly the earnings really results in the action and just kind of the overall AI trade.
Speaker 1: So every company that you've given us thus far, every stock you give us has been a double digit movie, either to the upside or the downside. Same with our next one.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, let's take a look and another you know, piece of the AI puzzle so we're looking at app loven it's down fifteen percent right now. Also Unity Software, so this is actually off lows of the day. It was down about twelve percent. Now it's only two point three percent lower, so a little bit of an uptick there for them. So both of these companies have really gotten caught in the software related sell off that we've seen, you know, after Anthropic is really some new tools, it's really just taken the air out of the tires and software sector which was already under pressure. Sort of specifically here there was a report from ad Exchanger about a startup cloud using AI agents focusing on mobile ad monetizations that very specifically hits app Lovin, and the stock was actually also hit last week after Alphabet rolled out Project Genie, which hit other video games sort of related stocks as well.
Speaker 2: This stockmover's report from Bloomberg Radio. Check back with us throughout the day for the latest roundup of companies making news on Wall Street and for the latest market moving headlines. Listen to Bloomberg Radio Live, catch us on YouTube, Bloomberg dot com, and on Applecarplay and Android Auto with the Bloomberg Business app.