Speaker 1: Hey, Sabrina, Hi, So how did your team do?
Speaker 2: Will we killed it? And did you win well?
Speaker 3: So brand new category this year that we entered is a game day spirit program. So we actually combined with our cheer team and do a big like with flags and signs and a whole thing. You do your fight song, you do a chant, you do a timeout pattern. First time this division has ever happened, first time US coaches have ever choreographed, cleaned, known anything about this division. And we took home second in the nation, which was huge, going against teams that they either had a lot of experience with their cheer team doing game day or their song team do game day. We had neither, and we did very well. And then my Palm girls.
Speaker 2: We had a little bit of a slip up.
Speaker 3: And these divisions are so competitive, like so competitive, and we had a little slip up on second the second day because we compete three different days and you try to make it to the next round.
Speaker 2: So they chopped the rounds in.
Speaker 3: Half and half and half, and the second day we had some major mistakes in the palm routine, so it dropped us down to entering. We kind of got into finals by the skin of our teeth in eighth place and we stuck. We stayed there. But the biggest thing with my palm routine is for my seniors. I've got eight seniors. They came off the floor just defeated, could not believe that the things that have been happened. And so I was happy that they made it to finals. And I was like, all I care about right now. I don't care if you guys bump up. I just want you to come off the floor proud of what you did, feeling like that is how because that's how you practice, that's how you do it.
Speaker 2: The way they did it.
Speaker 3: On the second day just wasn't. It didn't represent the rest of the season that they've had. You know, they've had such a great season. They've done so well. They've been killing it in classes and in our practices, and it was that was the bummer to me, is them walking off and not being proud of their routine.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody has a bad day. I don't know how you could day.
Speaker 3: So them getting a chance to make it to finals and they came off the floor so happy with what they did. But when I tell you, it lit a fire under my girls butts for jazz, and we ended up in third in the nation after finals. It was a routine that had people in tears. There was a routine that made people set alarms to be in the Big Field House for our performance because their routine just they just are so gorgeous doing this routine and wow, they really made a name for themselves. So I am like beyond proud and it was exciting. And Row and Jordan were there this year.
Speaker 2: They don't get to come every year. And then we got to do two.
Speaker 3: Days at Disney World and I'm still in the Disney look at my sweater.
Speaker 2: Okay, your Disney spirit.
Speaker 3: I can't help it. Seven days in Florida is not enough for me. I am just so Disney nice. And it was like exhausting, and it's an up and down roller coaster every year, but coming out on top this year was just it makes.
Speaker 4: Cool all the day too, with the with the mess of day. Was it one person or was it like a body? No, Okay, that's good.
Speaker 3: The disappointment that you have isn't mad at them. It's like, I'm sad for you guys, because sure you could.
Speaker 2: Have done so much better, you know, but you.
Speaker 1: Finished second in the big one, the big.
Speaker 2: The big unified routine.
Speaker 3: We got second and it was overall a great trip and my girls made me so proud, Like we walked away from that competition knowing we laid everything out on the floor, and you know now everyone's like just hungry to get back there for next year.
Speaker 4: So well that's good. Well, congratulations. Uh I coached the team that came in first.
Speaker 2: I knew that was you.
Speaker 1: That was me and my girls killed. But hey, second's great too.
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 1: Second in the country is pretty damn impressive.
Speaker 3: It is the hardest and most competitive competition there is outcome for you.
Speaker 1: We were rooting for you, and second is nothing to sneeze at. That's heyank you.
Speaker 2: We'll be back. We'll week back to claim that top place here.
Speaker 1: Good year. Well we're back and you're all back with us.
Speaker 4: So welcome back to Magical Rewind, the show that makes you want to grab your friends, your pjs, and your popcorn and go back to a time when all the houses are smartd the waves, Tsunamis, and the high School's Musical.
Speaker 1: I'm Wilford Dell.
Speaker 4: And I'm Sabrina Brian And speaking of high schools and competitions.
Speaker 1: Well, we're back in high school, but this one ain't no musical.
Speaker 4: We're pulling off a senior prank gone wrong and leaving a path of destruction because it's time to recap the nineteen ninety eight Wonderful World at Disney Comedy Principal Takes a Holiday, released on January fourth, nineteen ninety eight. Like all ABC Network releases we review, this one has a very recognizable cast, but it's hard to find.
Speaker 1: This movie these days.
Speaker 4: You might remember, Wonderful World installments have not made their way to Disney Plus because of tangled contracts pre two thousand, which is a real bummer because that means one day these movies could just disappear forever. But we hear magical rewinder making sure someone is chronicling their existence while they can.
Speaker 1: That's us. Yes, we're taking one for the team. Or are we not? Maybe this movie was amazing, we'll get into it. Another commonality.
Speaker 4: It was filmed in Vancouver, this time at a high school named Point Gray, which is now infamous as the school where seth Rogen and his best friend Evan Goldberg wrote the first version of super Bad as students, a story that is loosely based on their own senior year there.
Speaker 1: That's why their production company is now called Point Gray.
Speaker 4: Now it might be a little hard to find on the internet, but Principal Takes a Holiday did get a VHS release two years after its premiere, which has become a rare item on eBay and at weird garage sales. So maybe you can watch it if you have a working VCR and you manage to find a copy. Okay, Sabrina, Without giving too much away about your opinion of this movie, does it feel like a little more modern and darker than some of the d coms we watch? Like, did you think that this movie could possibly get a twenty twenty six remake?
Speaker 2: Actually?
Speaker 3: Yes, Like I do think that they're away now that they're you know, back then, you know what was like a d com right, and now that they've got such a great formula, they could take this preface this storyline, do a couple of rewrites here and there, explain a few things here and there, and.
Speaker 2: This movie, the idea of it could be really funny. And you know who would.
Speaker 1: Have to be the star nowadays? Who would it be?
Speaker 3: We've had him on the pod. He is our amazing host of the games. I mean, he'd have to be the star of it. He'd have to be the principle.
Speaker 1: Oh, he'd be the principal. Oh okay, Oh you wait, you're.
Speaker 2: Talking about Brian Stepanic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're talking about Brian Stepanic.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brian Stepanic would have to be this character who would be hilarious and so much take the character exactly where it needs to go, which is even farther.
Speaker 4: And now I think I'm gonna I'm gonna recast you. I think he should play the brother who comes in as the.
Speaker 3: Oh, the therapist or yeah, and I should play the principal.
Speaker 1: I would just like Disney. You weren't going to cast me either.
Speaker 2: You told me.
Speaker 3: I have sat in a room with Kenny Ortega and you told me you were done.
Speaker 2: You were not wanting to act anymore.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying to make make you feel bad and you don't want to take don't.
Speaker 1: Try to push me into films. Don't try to do Yeah, No, I agree.
Speaker 3: You guys would be a fun casting cast together. Oh my gosh, that would be.
Speaker 1: The possible retake of this film.
Speaker 4: And I also agree about the massive rewrites that would happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think that in general, this idea is kind of like Aris Bueller's day Off, kind of that idea of like, I mean, you could go so much farther with the pranks and the certain things that I think Disney Channel now really knows how to kind of take it far, and I think that it would be really funny, and they have such a great cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so many great talented kids on the channel right now. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got a weird Ferrispueler vibe from this one too.
Speaker 4: Anyway, as we ask every week, did you know anything about Principal takes a holiday before?
Speaker 2: Never? I had never heard of this one, and it always shocks me.
Speaker 3: I don't know why, because I feel like I lived and breathed the channel during this time.
Speaker 1: Again, this was not on the channel. This was a Wonderful World of Disney, So this was ABC.
Speaker 3: I mean, those are the two like networks that I was allowed to watch. I don't think I watched really anything else. So something getting past me like this feels very strange.
Speaker 4: Okay, well you can create your own opinion, because even though it's an elusive, wonderful World of Disney entry.
Speaker 1: The movie is currently available to watch on.
Speaker 4: The YouTube's so it's not the best quality, but it's actually not awful. It's not like you know, the somebody pointed a video camera, an old VHS camera at their TV.
Speaker 1: It's not a bad rip.
Speaker 4: All you have to do is search for Principal takes a holiday and go to town. And I mean that literally. I want you to drive into a town, stop at the closest ripolitan area and then and just basking all the commerce and then pick up some milk, drop off some outgoing mail, and support the mom and pop hardware store and Haskell drive.
Speaker 1: Then watch the movie. Whenever you want.
Speaker 2: To, I will say, did you do the one I did?
Speaker 3: The one that stopped like ten minutes before the movie was done.
Speaker 2: It just like stopped, It just went and I was like, wait a minute.
Speaker 3: I know I've been confused for several moments of this movie, but like that cannot be there, and I'll when we get there in the in the carry bar, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: And then the movie got off.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no, I saw the whole thing. Luckily, then I went.
Speaker 3: But the second the one that says full so you guys got to look for the full movie actually is not as good quality, so I'm glad I watched the other one because it was better quality.
Speaker 2: And then I just watched the last like ten minutes of like, ugh, the one. I said it was.
Speaker 1: Pretty good quality and uh and the whole movie.
Speaker 4: And I wanted to watch the one with all the commercials because I love that, but it was the quality was so bad that I was like, I can't sit through this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I love the period commercials or something.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, the Pepsi there's a Pepsi commercial with Star Wars.
Speaker 2: At the end of one of them.
Speaker 4: For me.
Speaker 2: See, yeah, it's cool fund of water.
Speaker 1: That's what I mean. Yeah, I want to do that. And now let's erase those demerits and abolished attention. It's time for the synopsis.
Speaker 4: A rowdy senior jeopardizes his ten thousand dollars graduation gift when he's caught mid senior prank by the principal. When a freak accident takes the principle out of commission, the students recruit a drifter in order to wipe his record clean. All right, early thoughts, what did you think of principal takes a holiday?
Speaker 3: You know me and I feel like I'm starting to sound like a grandma now, But.
Speaker 2: Truly I love the messaging.
Speaker 3: And when it came down to it, like the biggest reason and why people were doing a lot of the stuff was to get just to get the girl, like and I don't know why that brother this movie, like not yeah, but this that kind of became second nature. It was really about getting the like you know, punky girl and then the teacher. And I was just kind of like, where what message are we trying to give to these kids on this movie? And it did seem like there was a message besides just like getting away with a big lie, and I kind of didn't love that.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of.
Speaker 3: My just general But in all honesty, the confusion I had, I don't even know what I would break this.
Speaker 2: I'm so confused.
Speaker 3: I'm hoping today going seen by scene basically is gonna help me, help me, will help me?
Speaker 4: I can't because that's what I was coming here. I was coming here so you can help me. Thank you, I have That was my answer. I have no idea how I feel about this movie. Maybe this is a very good, wonderful World of Disney. Maybe this is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. I truly don't know. There's some super weirdness in this movie. It's also never a good sign. I know you and I have talked about this where I had to watch it in chunks.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 4: I kept pausing it and looking at my phone and pausing it and leaving the room, And so that's not a good sign, even something that you know wasn't my favorite movie of all time. But the cast was so good, something like the Princess Protection Program. I didn't have to pause that, I didn't have to walk away.
Speaker 1: I sat and I watched the movie.
Speaker 4: This this was so I do not And then there's a couple of performances in this movie that are great, that are so good and so funny that it's like, wow, that guy was awesome or this was really good.
Speaker 1: So I have no idea to think about.
Speaker 2: This script though.
Speaker 3: There's just so many things that were like why why was that even necessary? In all honesty, like the whole kid that goes to Stanford, and and also the girl that ends up getting I don't even think that character was like necessarily needed in the movie. It could have just their friends, a guy from Home Improvement. It could have just been that guy.
Speaker 1: This was so we'll get into a he had a best friend too.
Speaker 2: Where did he go?
Speaker 1: I don't in the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even in the movie except at the very beginning.
Speaker 1: It's so weird, so weird.
Speaker 2: It was hard. It was it was kind of like agreed.
Speaker 3: Like I said, when the movie just cut off, I was kind of like, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe that was that's par for the course. I understand that. Hey, I guess that was the end.
Speaker 2: Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, the movie was directed by Robert King, now a heavyweight Emmy nominated creator of The Good Wife.
Speaker 1: And It's been off The Awful Wife. I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: That would have been great The Good Fight alongside his real wife Michelle. The Power couple also created a handful of other shows, Evil Elizabeth and The New Cooper Tino, starring Ben Stiller's daughter, Principal takes a holiday. It was his first time behind the camera, so humble beginnings made for a big TV power player later, and like I mentioned, this is a big primetime ABC cast. Let's start with Zachary ty Brian as John Scududo. Ty Brian was one of the biggest young TV stars at the time, playing Brad on the once number one show in America, Home Improvement. He'd later appear in the Movie's First Kid, Magic Island and Fast and The Furious Tokyo Drift.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately nowadays he's.
Speaker 4: Just kind of, you know, kind of seen in news reports. It's been a troubled life and it's a real bummer. I just remember him as a kid. We had Jim class every day. He was very nice back in the day. Haven't seen him in thirty years, but really a shame and then a favorite of mine, the incredibly talented Kevin Nealan awesome plays Franklin Fits a star from Saturday Night Live.
Speaker 1: In the eighties and the nineties.
Speaker 4: Nielan has become a character actor favorite, seeing movies like Happy Gilmour, Coneheads, and The Wedding Singer, and he's probably best known as one of the stars of Weeds, but has also appeared on shows like Dharma and Greg Man with a Plan and Third Rock from the Sun.
Speaker 1: Were you excited to see Kevin Neilan As soon as he.
Speaker 3: Came on, I was like, and also, you know again we know for a long time. Getting like a heavy hitter for Disney was like big because there was a little bit of a stigmatism for adult actors to be a part of Disney, you know, movies and things like that, like Channel.
Speaker 2: Stuff or ABC stuff.
Speaker 3: So I was really excited feeling like, oh, this was a great get for Disney.
Speaker 2: I'm like stoked to watch this guy.
Speaker 1: It was so cool and he was the best.
Speaker 4: And then of course we had well new addition to the school who instantly becomes his best friend, even though he screws him over in the first thirty seconds he's there, and then he has no other friends at all.
Speaker 1: Of course, I'm talking about Rashaan and Nall. He played Peter Heath.
Speaker 4: He's known for starring in shows like Sister Sister, One on one, Cuts, The Bernie mac Show, and many many more. His character was very strange. He was great, character was very weird. Now we have Kurt Fuller is principal Frank Hockenberry.
Speaker 1: It's just a fun name to say.
Speaker 4: Fuller is another amazing character actor, best known from some real classics like Ghostbusters, Two Wayne's World, The Running Man, Scary Movie in.
Speaker 1: Midnight in Paris. I mean just those movies alone. Amazing.
Speaker 4: He and the director Robert King seemed to work together a lot. He appeared on The Good Wife, Evil and The Good Fight. Then we've got Jessica Steen. She plays Celia Shine at Canadian local Hire. Steen has appeared in the movie Armageddon and on TV shows like Stargate SG one, and she was one of the stars of the show Heartland, and I did a bit of a deep dive on her and it was really interesting.
Speaker 1: She was not a founding member, but one of the.
Speaker 4: Early early proponents of Burning Man and aims that the reason then the desert yep of Burning Man, and she claims she was fired from Stargate SG one because they said she would rather play in the desert on drugs than come to work, and she claims that none of that is true. So if you want to read her, it's really weird.
Speaker 2: The quote is very strange.
Speaker 1: But yeah, she's a Burning Man fan.
Speaker 4: And then I was blow Oh she was also on one of the shows I think, I said, Heartland, and she's in Smart House. That's right, she played smart I'm kidding. She was also a Smart House. And then I was blown away by somebody I knew from one specific role in Seinfeld.
Speaker 1: But Carlos J. Cutt, I think that's how you say his name.
Speaker 4: He plays Oliver and he's seen in shows like Buffy's Studio sixty on the Sunset Strip and of course that Seinfeld I was talking about, and a movie is like gross point blanker who is great fun with Dick and Jane and being John Malkovich cast him in everything.
Speaker 1: He's so funny.
Speaker 4: He's the one who plays the doctor, the fake doctor actor who comes in and god, he's just funny. And then I'm gonna let you take a shot at Emmanuel's last name.
Speaker 1: We've got an actress, No, it's I love doing these people.
Speaker 4: We've got actress Emanuel Shrieky. And she is streaky streaky. She is Roxanne. She's best known as Sloan on the show and movie Entourage, but she was also seen in movies like Detroit, Rock City, Wrong Turn, and You Don't Mess with the Zohan and on the TV side, she was recently also Lana Lang on Superman and Lois and in The Lincoln Lawyer.
Speaker 1: And I know her.
Speaker 4: Because we did a show together for a couple of years where she was the Chitara to.
Speaker 1: My Liono on ThunderCats. Very very sweet girl and a glow.
Speaker 4: I would sit next to her every day or when we're recording and somebody would go Emmanuel, cricket, cricket, and she's.
Speaker 1: Like, shreaky, shreaky, shreeky, streaky, she said nine times. So it's like, hey, I know it.
Speaker 4: And then we have a cameo from Bill ny the Science Guy, playing of All Things Well the.
Speaker 2: Science Science Teacher Nia is a real life.
Speaker 4: Science educator who is becoming TV personality through talk show appearances and his own TV shows, teaching science through curiosity, humor, and real work experiments.
Speaker 1: Have you ever met Bill Nye the Science Guy?
Speaker 3: I was an extra on his show back in the day, Yes, And it was so exciting to go and be on like Bill NY's show, like it was this stuff that the set was just so cool and out of this world, and Michael Jackson was on.
Speaker 2: Next door, Like it was like it was just like the best day, the best day.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: See, you had Bill Nye, but from the Nickelodeon days older people like me, we had mister Wizard.
Speaker 1: So mister Wizard was the Nickelodeon Bill Nye.
Speaker 4: It was we swhere to God and to God, hand to God. Mister Wizard was I think that was his name. I'm almost positive that was his name. Yes, it was mister Wizard. And so he was this old kind of curmudgeny guy who taught kids science on Nickelodeon in the seventies and the eighties, like early early Nickelodeon. And then we got Bill Nye and I remember the opening of Tower of Terror. Rider, Danielle, Ben and I all went on the ride with Bill Nye and before we started, he handed us all pennies and he's like, I want you to hold the penny in front of your your face as we drop. And so the picture is all which I still have, is Bill not all of us dropping with the pennies all hanging in front of us in the drop because the the you know, gravity does so.
Speaker 1: It was really good.
Speaker 4: He was teaching us science at the opening of the Tower of Terror.
Speaker 2: You know he was on Dancing with the Stars, was he? He did? He did a season of dances. I don't remember who his partner was.
Speaker 1: Did I tell you I'm doing They ask me, I'm doing Dance with the Stars.
Speaker 2: Are you really? No?
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm not happening never.
Speaker 2: You're gonna get me every time high high.
Speaker 4: Trust me, you'd never want to date you just look at me and go with horror, you'd never want to dance again. Uh So, we can agree that Bill and I was a fun face to recognize, but did his addition to the film negatively affect the run time? Because it's only the real facet for which we can judge any film by, we continue to search for and praise anything hitting the ninety minute mark, and this week, Principal takes the holiday clocks.
Speaker 2: At ninety six minutes.
Speaker 1: A stain on the legacy of the art form itself.
Speaker 4: Six minutes over target, and I can promise you one thing, it's the worst six minutes of the movie, So fix your life.
Speaker 1: Principle takes a holiday and shane on everyone involved.
Speaker 4: The writing credit goes to director Robert King, who also penned the Angels in the Outfield sequels stupidly called Angels in the Infield, as well as movies like Dana Carvey's Clean Slate, which is a horribly underrated comedy, two Gena Davis films Speechless and Cutthroat Island, and Vertical Limit. He now focuses just on scripts for the TV shows that he's created, and we've got a story credit a common Disney movie occurrence here.
Speaker 1: It's Paul Wolfe.
Speaker 4: Wolfe was a USC screenwriting professor for over twenty years who wrote on TV shows like Family Ties and Home Improvement. That might be the Zachary Tybrian connection. He would also produce and direct on the nineties drama series Life Goes On. And Now, why don't we all go and try to find a transient and put him on kids with a position of power and have him recap along with us because it's time for principal takes a holiday.
Speaker 1: Sabrina's laughing.
Speaker 2: Put around kids give you some so good? Sure that's literally how it starts.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, like what yep? That guy?
Speaker 4: He has no idea who that guy is. That guy easily could have been on the run. He could have been not allowed within five hundred yards.
Speaker 2: Of kids, but a hitchhiker and making it worse.
Speaker 1: Yep, there you go.
Speaker 4: Well, we open on a very familiar site. It's our main character's teenage bedroom. It's been a minute, but we do love to see these a mechanism that gives us so much information in a very short amount of time, and in this case, we hear the phone ringing in an extremely messy room and dare I say it might even been considered mischievous.
Speaker 1: This bedroom we.
Speaker 4: See sketches and plans and maybe weaponry. Who knows it was a strange room. The phone rings until the answering machine picks up. For John, it's his.
Speaker 2: Friend who we never care about later.
Speaker 4: Don't get it about this guy at all, at all, at all. He wants to know if he went through the plan and snuck into the principal's office last night. Did he actually pull off the greatest senior prank ever? It's gonna be hard to top the thirty two demerits he got last year, but he may have just done it. John eventually picks up the phone and tells his friend a chill, what do you think of his name?
Speaker 1: For John? For this movie?
Speaker 4: Part of me thought it was too generic, and then I was like, you know what, in this day and age of Hoyt's and Florin's and Blue, just hearing John kind of made me feel pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, But my question I was, actually, it's a wise the brit sees the name John. Would he go by John in high school? Or would it feel like Johnny?
Speaker 1: No? Johnny was Johnny?
Speaker 2: John just seems older like.
Speaker 1: That John John John Boy John. Yeah, okay, but it was nice. It was not It wasn't like, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah Hudson or it's just like, oh god, it's just John.
Speaker 1: Thank God is John.
Speaker 2: It's John John and Ben.
Speaker 4: No offense to John's, no offense to Hudson's and people out there across anyway, the prank is going to go something like this. Principal Hawckenberry arrives at his office at eight am, gets onto the loudspeaker at eight oh five, coffee at eight ten, out of the office at eight twelve, and that's when it will hit eight twelve am. And with that, John joins his stern parents for breakfast, and his dad reminds him they're going out of town for two weeks, which seems like an awfully long time to leave your senior in high school mischievous, gotten thirty two demerits high school kid alone by himself yet.
Speaker 2: Which they know about.
Speaker 3: It's not like they're like parents that are kind of don't understand or or always you know what I mean, Like there's kids in school that get away with stuff, you know, and they're the ones that are always the pranksters.
Speaker 2: But like they get away with it.
Speaker 3: They're very aware of the mischievousness that their kid has.
Speaker 1: Well it's not just that.
Speaker 4: They also set up the fact that his mother cooks him all his meals. His mother does all of his laundry. So they're just this kid to the wolves.
Speaker 2: And someone's just going to check in on him, like they're not.
Speaker 3: Like it's not like an aunt or an uncle or coming to stay with him, like literally just got to check in on it.
Speaker 1: It's so strange, and so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't matter because we never go back to the house after that anyway.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: It's so weird, but it's easy.
Speaker 4: They've coddled him, they've paid for private school and now he's study dependent with zero discipline. They've decided on his first day of senior year that while they're away, he also can't use their car. So the kid who's mischievous, who gets away with everything, the parents say you can't use the car, and he doesn't completely follows the rules, which to me, I was like, what of course he is going to of course he would he used the car like.
Speaker 3: This already went to like the fairis ruler's day off, Like right, he's going to steal one of their cars, that's.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or or not right moves, but the risky business or any of this stuff, it's like what what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And to be honest, like it's a high schooler.
Speaker 3: If my parents were going away for two weeks, and I just think I'd stay home, but it's.
Speaker 1: I mean, my god, who does what is that? Though?
Speaker 2: Two weeks?
Speaker 1: It's so strange.
Speaker 2: I can't use my car.
Speaker 3: I gotta ride my bike or okay, yeah, okay, so I'll be home for two weeks.
Speaker 1: I'll see you guys when you get Yeah. No, this whole thing was really really weird. It's just weird.
Speaker 4: And they then tell him if he gets one to merit this year, they're going to rip up the ten thousand dollars inheritance check he was supposed to get from his grandmother. John is, of course furious about the new agreement, especially because he knows the senior prank could already be his first demerit.
Speaker 1: He is screwed.
Speaker 4: As they drive off, he knows he has to stop the prank. It's a race against time eight twelve to be exact. When a large bucket of red paint is set to splash down from the doorway onto the principal, John furiously bikes his way to school because he's all in the rules he can't use the car, dodging construction sites and trying to beat Principal Hawckingberry to his door. And on John's tour de France, we also see a messy hippie and his dog getting kicked out of a truck. Of course, he had been hitchhiking, but we'll get back to that later. In the hallways, Hick and Looper, Hick and Bottom, hick and Looper, Hickeen, principal treats his troubled private school students like he's trained dogs. He enters his office at eight as predicted and starts the morning announcements, introducing Vice Principal Ralph Calder while Hickenlooper rambles on.
Speaker 1: We see John in the background.
Speaker 4: Tiptoeing into the school to fix things undetected until he bumps into a new teacher, Missshine, but even she can't stop him. Meanwhile, a new student, Peter Heath, who is just new, has arrived and is being ignored while looking for where to go, and to Peter's surprise, hicket Looper is one minute.
Speaker 1: Ahead of schedule. John is doomed.
Speaker 4: He's springing through the school trying to stop the inevitable, and just as Hickenlooper reaches his office door, the phone rings.
Speaker 1: As he turns back to answer the line, just one small drip of red hits the floor.
Speaker 4: With the principle now preoccupied, John sneaks his way into the ceiling, but it's caught red handed by Peter, the new student he's looking for the principal. John begs him to keep it down, but Peter has no idea what's going on.
Speaker 1: He just needs to get to his first class.
Speaker 4: And as awful as it sounds, you could tell this movie was done pre.
Speaker 1: A lot of the horrible things that happened at schools.
Speaker 4: Because if you walk into a student nowadays saying I'm trying to disarm it and do it, it just they wouldn't even shoot this nowadays, Like, I don't think they would even put this in the movie nowadays. They would have changed the wording or would have changed the way it was it was done, because this was obviously done at a much different time. Yes it was right after Columbine though. Yes, this was a strange thing for me. It just it hit me weird because it was like the way they set it up and he's in there with scissors and I'm trying to diffuse it. It just it brought my head to a different place, which is kind of scary sad inside.
Speaker 2: It is because it's like a prank.
Speaker 3: He was not in any way trying to He was trying to make a laugh out of the principle, not trying to hurt him, not do something.
Speaker 2: That's going to like melt his skin off. It's just gonna dye it, you know.
Speaker 3: So it was definitely like a fun filled type idea, but nowadays it's like, yeah, no.
Speaker 1: No, you wouldn't do it.
Speaker 4: And just as John is about to cut the wire and save himself from the worst a merit of his life, hicken Hooper grabs the handle and the red paint douses the furious Principle.
Speaker 1: He completed the prank. After all, John and Peter are now held in the office.
Speaker 4: Although I don't know why Peter's being blamed, especially since he's brand new at school and the principal obviously has it in for John, so why would he assume also that the new kid at school who literally just walked in and had a meeting with him set up. Also helped this guy set up this prank who he'd never met before and was obviously the biggest jokes kid at school.
Speaker 2: You know that. He's yeah, no, none of this was already going okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why I was like, wait, what.
Speaker 2: We're going to stretch everything like crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So John and Peter are now being held in the office. John realizes he's only five minutes into the school year and he's lost ten grand. He blames Peter, but Peter had to save his owner for some reason. He's new at school. Vice Principal Calder appears and wants to know how to get the red stuff off of Hickenlooper. Keep in mind now that everyone saw the principal doust and red, because that's going to be important. John takes it even further, completely blaming Peter like it. As a result, both of them gets he doesn't know this guy, but I'm gonna put it's a year of fault.
Speaker 1: He's the one who told me to do it.
Speaker 4: It was like, what an character right off the bat, and it wasn't like that was the thing about Ferris Bueller. Is Ferris somebody like a Ferris Bueller or or business or Zach Morris. They never did it at the expense of somebody innocent or somebody else, Like if somebody was a jerk, then maybe they got it, like the principal Rooney and in Ferris Bueller, like maybe he got a bit of it, but he did it all to himself. Ferris Bueller didn't do anything to him. Where this guy is already trying to actually do something to the principle, which, okay, that's funny, it's the principle, I get it. But then this brand new kid who shows up at school, You're trying to destroy this kid's life, Like what an.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was like what the hell, dude, where.
Speaker 4: It's like, even if that kid did help him, when he didn't, you still don't snitch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and so it's like, what is this guy doing?
Speaker 4: But anyway, okay, so he blames Peter and as a result, both of them gets six months detention.
Speaker 1: And demerits on their permanent record.
Speaker 4: Later on, in a exceptionally confusing math class, Peter is still fuming.
Speaker 1: Over the punishment.
Speaker 4: He's never gotten into trouble before and this will cost him Stanford. And this also threw me because they had said it's a very conservative school that people send their kids to who maybe have had a little trouble in the past and need more structure.
Speaker 1: So why would they send this kid to the school who's been.
Speaker 4: Perfect and had awesome grades, right if like, what's the point of that? So at this point I'm going this might be a long ninety six minutes. Yeah, so I just didn't understand it. The two boys are still arguing about it in science and John suggests Peter find a way to remove the demerit. The only way to do that is to hacken the principal's computer, but Peter won't let him borrow his laptop. And hey, everyone, the science teacher's Bill Ny the science guy. Cool, we're now in history class with that nervous new teacher, Miss Shine. John has borrowed a laptop from the computer from the computer lab to break into the mainframe, but unfortunately he was detected by Hickenlooper and his best friend is there with him, who we never really learned his name and don't need to know anything about him because he.
Speaker 2: This is the last time we see him.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, whatever your name was. He is still washing the red die off his face.
Speaker 4: He's got a really good hacker protection software set up just to stop kids like John. And just like that, the boy's last hope has failed. But John hasn't given up. They just need a new plan. And then, and I didn't miss anything. Here in a real non secretur a wild dog appears and steals John's softball.
Speaker 1: John, they're on like.
Speaker 2: The campus of some sort too.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, sure are so this?
Speaker 3: This dog just like uh huh comes out of nowhere to the point where it made me go, wait.
Speaker 2: Was that John's dog? I've seen the dog before. It was a Johnstock.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was the best friend's dog who we haven't met.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, very strange steals John.
Speaker 4: John is unwilling to give up the one softball to any wild animals, so he rushes off miles down this thing to catch the mutt. But when he does get him, the dog doesn't have the ball and his scruffy owner could really care less. He recognizes this man as a messy looking transient who was kicked out of the truck earlier in the movie. He introduced himself as fits and is laying down in the grass without a care in the world. He even suggests that John just escaped the school as a construct. And when hicken Looper notices that John has wandered off the campus because he's just there with binoculars looking for demerits, it's the final straw.
Speaker 1: It is time for expulsion.
Speaker 4: He types the recommendation into his computer, but before he can press enter, John smacks a baseball, the softball pitched by Peter, right through his office. It smacks through the window and cracks him in the back of the head. After a few seconds, he falls to the ground, knocked out. Okay, we quick cut to an arriving ambulance. The paramedics see the red blotches on hicken Looper's face. There's other teachers surrounding them. Why don't the other teachers say no, no, no, that's from the it's red paint.
Speaker 1: Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: No, they go ahead and let him get admitted as a uh huh, like someone with like issues.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They take him straight to the infectious disease department of the hospital. So nobody they said, hey, we found him knocked out. Oh my god, he's covered in red. Give me the gloves. No one went no, no, no, that's from that's paint. Now, Yeah, nobody said that and now the boys are back in the principal's office, facing the judgmental look of Vice Principal Calder, who gives them four more months of detention.
Speaker 1: So they are now.
Speaker 2: At ten months, ten months of detention.
Speaker 1: In usually a year. That why, no, they're not, No, no, they're not. The receptionist also reveals that the district has agreed to send a substitute principle, doctor Vernon Baxter, a name that really impresses Calder. Apparently he's a big deal and no one knows what he looks like, which is going to be important to the story obviously.
Speaker 4: Then John notices something a fax breaking through the news that doctor Baxter won't be able to fill in. So he reads this upside down through a window bar.
Speaker 2: He has eagle eyesight.
Speaker 4: Upside down eagle eyes is what this guy has, John, upside down eagle man is what they should call him. He's going to be in Zurich, the Doctor. And so then, thanks to an inspirational George Washington poster, John shares an idea with Pete as they leave school, because now they're best He's apparently, what if they hire someone to play doctor Baxter just for an hour while they wipe the computers clean of their demerits, and since John stole the facts, they have nothing to worry about. So he also somehow got into that room and grabbed the facts that was curled up against the window.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Oh, fax machines, factses were the best. Oh they were.
Speaker 4: You get your sides faxed in for auditions and yeh yeh uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Peter isn't having it though.
Speaker 4: He's going to tell the school all about Baxter and Zurich, but then his breath is literally taken away by another student, Roxanne, the toughest girl in school. She trips down the stairs right into Peter's arms. He helps her treat her broken ankle by ripping sleeves off his uniform shirt.
Speaker 1: But this turns out to just be a dream. This was a funny scene.
Speaker 4: It was realizing he's got to be more assertive for girls in situations like this. Peter decides he's in for the fake principle, so they just need someone who looks the part. So again about the girl, Okay, I'll break all the rules over at the local neighbor would handle it. Audition you know about those, right, So they're everywhere there, everywhere, exactly.
Speaker 1: I have one later today, just for fun. The boys they start something to do. It's gonna be great.
Speaker 4: I can't wait. I'm not even reading. I just want to watch everyone else. It's gonna be so awesome. But they're trying to find an actor to play this part, so the Boys star cast, and the best actor they find wants two hundred dollars a day and has some very diva requests, including a trailer and eleven am call time. So, knowing that's not going to work, John then knows what he needs to do. He shows Peter Fits, the messy transient from earlier, and this will be their doctor Baxter. But when they approach Fits, he isn't convinced. He just grabs a cup of.
Speaker 1: Urine and throws it on them. I'm kidding.
Speaker 4: They never know he plans on hitchhiking to Alaska and just doesn't see himself as a private school principle. They beg him to help, offering fifty dollars and room and board. Then during negotiations, Fitz notices John's drumsticks. They're like the ones Aerosmith used, so they strike a deal. If Fits does it, he gets the drumsticks. John is shocked, and frankly so was I because drumsticks cost like fifteen bucks. He was just offered fifty. And then John is super hesitant to get rid of his sticks, but eventually hands them over and they never.
Speaker 1: Talk about it.
Speaker 4: You never see John play the drums. They never talk about my dad gave them to me. These are Aerosmiths sticks.
Speaker 3: He does something with the drumsticks at the very beginnings.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's literally it.
Speaker 3: We see another snippet of it later in reverse situation, but like the drum and also drum sticks, Like, what are you going to do with these drumsticks while you're still They're.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, it doesn't make any sense, Like this guy could have gone and bought drumsticks and had thirty bucks. Wait, and they never just know these are important to me. This was given to me by so and so.
Speaker 1: Whatever.
Speaker 2: Nothing, nothing, just another weird moment where yes, what.
Speaker 4: It's just this movie was filled with kind of good beats and then non sequiturs and then stories that didn't make a whole.
Speaker 1: Lot of sense.
Speaker 4: So we're back at the hospital principal Hick and Looper has been fully quarantined, trying to convince everyone he isn't sick, but he's just diagnosed as delirious, even though again everyone saw him cover with the red paint. And now Fitz is ready for his new role as doctor Baxter. The boys prep him on how to walk stiffer and they buy him a suit, but he draws the line at cutting his long hair. He's now out, not something he's willing to do even for the drumsticks, So now the boys need to find yet another Doctor Baxter. Later that day, back at the beach, back in the transient, where Fitz notices a woman doing yoga and he's immediately.
Speaker 1: Attracted to her.
Speaker 4: He watches her walk away in the same way a straight dog looks at him at a steak and then that was missus shine.
Speaker 3: Right, Okay, this I'm gonna just end up giving all my Sabrita ces because that's fine.
Speaker 1: Get through it. Yeah, I don't get it.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but okay, first of all, we'll I'll leave that one. No, I can't.
Speaker 3: The weirdest stretches she's doing where she's just like standing there and she's just like okay, I'm just gonna and I'm just gonna. It's like they're not even like runners stretches. Those are like dancer stretches. So they must have realized this actress.
Speaker 1: Like getting ready for Bernie remember or.
Speaker 3: Something, and she's out in the morning for her daily run. But like she runs to the school.
Speaker 2: Why are you running?
Speaker 3: That's the yes, that's the only segue that we get to realize she's the teacher.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, it has completely changed his mind about being the principal.
Speaker 1: It fits.
Speaker 4: The boys, however, have returned to a different Hamlet actor, Oliver as their last resort. He's excited about the gig, even brainstorming some disabilities he could have. He's told to report to the school at seven am, but he feels like this is a bad idea.
Speaker 1: Anyway, it is now the big day.
Speaker 4: The boys walking to the school hoping the new principles arrived ready to act, and are shocked to see Calder optimistic about the new doctor Baxter. He proclaims the school will never be the same. It looks like the plan is working, but when they enter the office, it's not Oliver the Hamlet actor.
Speaker 1: Doctor Baxter is fits with a haircut.
Speaker 4: Fitz is unpredictable right off the bat mentioning dog vomit and haphazardly exposing his ankle dauphin tattoo like you do. And then things get even crazier when Oliver, the Hamlet actor, now physically transformed, now physically transformed with a mustache, arrived too. He announces that he is doctor Vernon Baxter. Peter then passes out, and this was pretty funny. Calder is confused, how are there two Vernon Baxter's. The Hamlet actor is stumped on what to do next. He asks for a line and then Peter passes out again. Fitz thinks on his toes and bear hugs the second Baxter. He claims it's his brother and that their dad named all their children Vernon Baxter, even their sister and the dog. But Calder is still confused. Why was the other vern looking for an office? And Peter passes out for a third time again funny bit. Oliver quickly improvs about being born with a club to foot, but Fitz chimes in, claiming his brother as a therapist who will counsel students pro bono. It's an awesome pairing of actors for the movie. Vernonon Baxter as a combo really worked again. I just want to watch this because I didn't get the story. Now away from Calder and Fitz the Hamlet the Hamlet, Baxter is furious at the boys. He was supposed to be the lead and now he's just a student counselor. Calder jumps onto the loudspeaker and announces the substitute principle. Fitz takes the mic and asks the school to call him doctor V, letting everyone know what he's wearing so they can spot him. It is very unhinged. At the end of the day, John and Peter finally approach Fits in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: What is he doing?
Speaker 4: Why is he doing so much when he's only supposed to be there for one day? But before he can answer, he's called to an all teacher philosophy lecture. He nervously walks into the gym and sees his waiting audience on an overhead projector.
Speaker 1: Do they still use overhead projectors? They don't, do they know yet?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: Their stuff goes straight from their computer onto like the whiteboard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and stuffed.
Speaker 2: But the projector was so cool to see. I was like, oh my gosh, like.
Speaker 3: Just like going in math class, like the teachers going through like how to work out a math problem, all that kind of stuff, and then and then spraining and then wipeing.
Speaker 4: Ugh, it takes you right back. It takes you right back. I saw something this morning that said dirty Dancing came out in nineteen eighty six, about dancing in the in like nineteen sixty three. If it was made today, it would have been a movie about two thousand and one. Oh yeah, it's like, you've got to be kidding me, talk about feeling old and so now, yes, Fit stands before the faculty to lecture about what it's supposed to be his own book. Instead, he plays with the projector in freestyles about how education is like pizza. John and Peter watch on in Great Horror, and this is Kevin Neiel in his wheelhouse.
Speaker 1: Just let him go. He was very funny. It's a weird part.
Speaker 4: And I don't know, but just for an acting nomination for the Rewindees, he might have to be in the discussion just because he's so funny. But that might just be my personal love of him. It might have been that great a performance. I just really like him.
Speaker 3: I thought it was pretty clever, and he just seems great. I sees some like blue purse because I feel like, you know, he'd go on like his runs, like you love when comedians do.
Speaker 1: Yes, He's Kevin Neilan and I just love him so much.
Speaker 4: Anyway, Fitz eventually darts out of the gym, leaving them with pizza thoughts, but is stopped by the new history teacher, Celia Shine, and he's like, yeah, that sounds like a car wax. She's a huge fan of doctor Baxter's and is thrilled to be working with him, but she did think he was older and bald, but whatever. She just wants to hear about his new work because she would love to have him as a mentor. When she tries to get her credentials next week, he says he'll think about it, but when he drops his drumsticks and picks them up, she catches a glimpse of that same ankle dolphin tattoo. Weird Over in the counselor's office, Hamlet Baxter is showing Rorschack test to students and saying that their answers are wrong, and John and Peter are back with fits now the principal's computer, finally hoping to erase their records, but they don't know the computer's password. Calder says, the principal implemented some extra security measures, but this school has been working to solve the issue. Uh oh, this means a transient Fits. We'll have to stick around a bit longer. John thinks they can pull it off because no one is onto them yet. Right ooh, we get an optical flip. As Miss Shine is sitting down the library to read a real doctor Baxter book, she thinks something's up. It says in the bio he went to Cornell, So she jumps on the phone to call principal Hawk and Berry, Hick Andlooper, but the staff at the mental institution says he's not taking calls, so instead she uses the white pages to call what's supposed to be doctor Baxter's office. She leaves a message wondering if she met him today and if he has a dolphin tattoo?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: At school the next day, Hamlet Baxter is chatting to another student, just spitballing his character backstory about serving in Vietnam. Meanwhile, for detention, Fits is chilling with John and Peter watching sports in his office, but Peter's freaked. The whole point was to get Fits in and out, but John has to see his dream come true. They own the principle, but before they can celebrate, they're interrupted by a knock.
Speaker 1: On the door. It's Miss Shine.
Speaker 4: As Fits scurries to get it in place, he accidentally turns on the mic and plays his dog barking to the entire school. Once Miss Shine enters, she's shocked to see John, who apparently is now set up for something called independent drum study. Fitz says it's his new strategy. Suspicious Shine quizz Fits about what school he went to, and he is just saved as VP. Calder pipes in with Cornell, and that may have held off Shine for now, but she's starting to catch on. And then John suggests an idea for Peter's crush, Roxanne, which I thought was a very strange kind of transition. Now he's come up with an idea of how to get the girl, so Fitz calls her into his office and tells her she's been expelled. He continues to repeat himself over and over, almost as if he's queuing someone up, and then right on cue, John pushes Peter into the office to confidently interrupt the principle. He demands better treatment for Roxanne claiming a student's worth is not reliant on what they're doing wrong. She passed the greatest test of all time, the test of Caterpillar. And then he means no, no, no character. He's clearly blowing whatever the script was written for him, which was proved when we see that John is secretly holding up giant Q cards right behind her. He's not trying to hide it all, just giant giant CUE cards right behind her. And in the end, Fitz rips up the expulsion notice and praises Peter as a hero. In the cafeteria, Lator Fitz and Calder are looking at what might be tuna. Possibly Fitz is disgusted by his first bite and thinks something must be done. He marches into the kitchen and demands that the chefs eat the dish. When he declined, Fitz says everything they serve from here on out must be edible to the staff, and the students go crazy. They love this. In even better news, Roxanne and Peter are going out on a date. John's subterfuge worked after all, and now Peter has become the one addicted to manipulating the principle. John also spots Miss Shine renting out all of doctor Baxter's books in the library. He realizes that they're all playing with fire at this point, and again he now has no friends.
Speaker 1: It's just the one friend he has that we It's so strange. That night, at John's house, Fitz is playing the drums, but they need to read all of Baxter's books for research, and that's a good plan because the real doctor Baxter has just heard Miss Shine's message.
Speaker 4: The next morning, John has turned into a full on dad, so this is what he's supposed to be learning, obviously, making sure Fits is wearing socks, eating healthy, and studying. And at school that morning, Miss Schein is talking to Vice Principal Calder about her upcoming credentials test, which will have a written and observational portion, but she seems more concerned with this whole Doctor b tobacco. She races up to Fits and quizzes him on the three elements of his triangulation theory reform m. This is coincidentally something he does know kind of, so with a little help from a pantomimean Peter, Fits answers the question correctly, holding her off for now. But the real doctor Baxter has called the school and finds out that not only do they have one Doctor Baxter, they have a second Doctor Baxter. The receptionist assumes this is some sort of prank call and hangs up, forcing the real doctor Bee to book a.
Speaker 1: Flight there at once.
Speaker 4: And yet Fitz is still banging his drums and acting crazy at schools all rules, no more detentions, no more demerits, and guess who's back Yep, Principal hicken Looper hick and Bottom Hochenberger, looking disheveled. He is shocked to see his school is in utter chaos. When he asks to see Doctor b he's sent to Hamlet doctor Baxter and John, who is in the process of firing the counselor from his job. They just don't need two doctor Bees. But Oliver swears he's having a breakthrough with the square headed kid with the funny nose. He's finally feeling good about how he looks. It's an incredible joke. And then Principal Hickenlooper Hackenbacher spots John paying off the actor and can't believe what he's seeing. And then he falls off the balcony and he looks like he falls like sixty.
Speaker 2: Feet seriously like to his death.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, horrible, huge fall, and is taken right back to the institution. Then that night, it's Peter and Roxanne's big day at a fancy restaurant. They're seated right next to the kitchen, killing all possible romance. He dreams about kissing her, a real sign that this is a wonderful World movie, not a dcom.
Speaker 1: But instead he just orders.
Speaker 4: Chicken, which, again, you're got a fancy restaurant, They're gont want to know what kind of chicken you're ordering, Peter, you can't just say chicken.
Speaker 1: I was like, is it a Pacada? Is it a Marsala?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 1: You can walk me through this chicken, Like.
Speaker 3: A typical teenager going to a nice restaurant, being like, can I get the chicken?
Speaker 1: Chicken?
Speaker 5: You know what?
Speaker 1: I please?
Speaker 4: Eventually decide to leave the stuffy restaurant and instead of eating, just ride them OpEd on the beach. Back at the school the next day, Miss Shine is trying to teach within this new no rules atmosphere, but kids aren't paying attention. They're just coming and going, music blasting, not paying any mind. Fits watches on, as does an official in charge of credentials, who, in my opinion, should have some big problems with the school's credentials.
Speaker 1: Not hers, But sure.
Speaker 4: She eventually storms out and Fits follows close behind. He tells her this no rules policy was his idea. It has nothing to do with Miss Shine, but she doesn't care. She's suspending her credentials immediately. Now defeated Fit and again, all the.
Speaker 1: Other teachers are fine to teach in this system, but just her shed.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, well she said too. I'm not here to evaluate the school. I'm just here to evaluate this one teacher.
Speaker 5: No. But it's like you figure you'd make That's not how it works.
Speaker 2: This whole situation work.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's not how it works. That's not how it works.
Speaker 4: Like a tall anyway, Fitz realizes the crowdit halls are now a zoo. Even Vice Principal Kaldor and Bill Nye are defeated. What has Fitz done? As Miss Shine packs her bags, Fitz finds out Principal Hooka Booker's computer passwords have finally been overridden. He can actually change John Peters's records, but he knows something bigger hangs in the balance. He immediately talks to the school board and gets Miss Shine another chance, but she doesn't care. She's quitting teaching, but Fitz won't accept her resignation. He knows it's his fault. She says it has nothing to do with him. She just makes history boring. Fitz convinces her she is not boring. If she was boring, why would he have a crush on her. He begs her to stay and then he kisses her. So problematic on so many level, But who am I to get in the way of love?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I partially check on this movie.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like, okay, whatever, Okay, we're just gonna get past that whole like sexual harassment.
Speaker 2: I mean, all the things how it happened. You can't just go around kissing people in your work of like your place of work.
Speaker 1: By this point, I was like, okay, that's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: You're just at this point, you're like, okay.
Speaker 1: Whatever, Yep, very much whatever.
Speaker 4: The next morning, when John goes to wake up Fits, he's already downstairs cooking breakfast. He's focused and needs the entire schools help to get Miss Shine her credentials back.
Speaker 1: And keep in mind, they're doing all this within like a week. Yes, they have two weeks to do this, and he even.
Speaker 4: Says, we have to clean up the school and get her credentials back, and John goes.
Speaker 1: Today, okay, and that's it.
Speaker 3: They have one day is a week too, it's like five days of school too, because Saturday Sunday.
Speaker 2: No, this is happening so quick, real fast, real fast.
Speaker 1: The next morning. Okay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they're going to do all this in a day. All right, sounds good. So as soon as he gets into his office, he takes to the loudspeaker and admits the entire student body that he's been wrong. If we really wanted to rebel, we would have really needed a plan to replace it. He begs them to look inside themselves and bring back order, and magically they just do. They even start listening to Miss Shine after John raises his hand with a question. He wants to know why, if the nineteen twenties and the nineteen eighties stock market crashes were similar, why was there no depression in the eighties? And somehow this very specific question has made her less boring, and everyone in the class is magically engaged and ready to learn. And in science class, Bill Nye is apparently just as boring until one kid says he needs to be shown the formula and not just told it. Miss Shine loves what she sees all of the school, especially since the review committee is coming tomorrow.
Speaker 1: She even pinches fits on the when she sees him, all right, sir.
Speaker 4: Also, the real doctor Baxter keeps calling to say he's coming to take over the school, but luckily the receptionist still thinks it's a prad. Also, Peter's sex life was looking pretty good until Roxanne goes to leave a rose on his locker and in the process notices the C cards from when he asked her out.
Speaker 1: She rightfully becomes angry and who would keep the cards? Bro? He earned the evidence, the giant cards. How are you not trashing those things instantly? You deserve to lose the girl.
Speaker 4: It seems though Miss Shine has learned a bit more about doctor Baxter because she finds fits just to slap him in the face.
Speaker 1: Yeah you know, when it's later, ishly, when did she find out? I have no idea.
Speaker 2: She just comes up, but she just like goes to slap him.
Speaker 4: It's like, okay, she's now pinched him on the s and sexually assaulted him and actually assaulted him in the school, but she knows there's a missus Baxter. Fits tries to tell her the truth, but knows he can't he'd be a liar in her eyes either way. She says she'll face the school board alone and never wants to see him again. We're back in Hackenbrocker Hookohooper's hospital room. He's working overtime to escape like he's Hanniballector. While at school, the boys and Fits finally erase their demerits in the computer system, which was their only goal in the first place. Fitz also decided to call Stanford with a well deserved recommendation for Peter. Fitz asked John if he needs anything outed to his file for college, but John doesn't see the point, and with that Fits his time as principle is done. He hands his drumsticks to John and tells the boys to apologize to Misshine for him, so he doesn't even take the okay, And then I don't really know how to explain this one. But then Bill Nye is back to boringly teaching a science class. He hasn't changed it all, even when the kids ask for more. And then just when all hope is lost. He pops down under the desk in an oddly sped up scene that emerges with a leaf blower excited to show students how the power of science is amazing.
Speaker 1: Did you notice how strange the scene was. It was just strange.
Speaker 3: It was like another like I'm saying, it's like these offset like little many storylines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these vignettes that nothing.
Speaker 3: And yes, as a hurt, like does these like little things that really? Again, because the lady that's coming to look at the school isn't looking for Bill NY's character, He's just there to see miss Shine, So it's just like now he's I don't know, it's weird and yeah, and he keeps getting weird with him, like it's like I don't know if they like because they got Bill Nye they were just like wanting to bring him and use him more like I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And again, everyone was good, like all the acting was fine.
Speaker 3: It's fine, It's just the storyline itself was not seamless than anything.
Speaker 4: Bobulated Yes, with fits nowhere to be found and the real doctor Baxter arriving by taxi. Vice Principal Kaldor takes the credential committee to miss Shine's class. Outside, Peter has found Roxanne, but she's still give him.
Speaker 1: The cold shoulder.
Speaker 4: He apologizes, and she argues that she would have liked to have known the real hymn. She then forgives him and says she'll give him another chance, under one condition. He has to kiss her so hard her head explodes. Okay, he was dreaming again, and this could have been the part to get it down in ninety minutes. You just didn't need any of this, like, none of it was, none of it comes back.
Speaker 1: So anyway, in.
Speaker 4: Reality, she walks off mad and now he really does run after her. He asks her out no q carts is time and she accepts all with a very weird rendition of can't help falling in love with you playing in the background.
Speaker 1: She all, this.
Speaker 2: Is when my movie stopped.
Speaker 4: Oh really, it's like and right, and you're like, okay, that's all right.
Speaker 3: He got the girl and that's what the whole point of this movie was, which still I don't really know what it was for what the messaging was like. So then I went back and saw the other one said full movie, and I'm like okay, and then there's like another like ten minutes.
Speaker 4: Yeah at least, so there you go, but she adds one condition though. He gets ready for the kiss, but instead she just wants him to carry her books nearby. John apologize, I would have loved if that was just the end of the movie.
Speaker 3: That was it?
Speaker 1: Hereby John apologizes to.
Speaker 4: Miss Shine for fits tells her the truth about everything, just as the reviewers walk into the room, which is the definition of bad timing. Also, Bill Nye has turned the leaf blower into an all out hovercraft and is now with his students riding it through the hallways. They eventually pick up the real Doctor Baxter, who went from angry about being impersonated to all out joy. The credentials review begins, but her mind is elsewhere as she stumbles her words. John once again steps in with a question to help her out, and in the end she does a great job.
Speaker 1: As the committee gets ready to leave, satisfied with what they's scene, there's one last wrinkle.
Speaker 4: Principal Hickenlooper Pop and Popper has arrived, now in a cast and ready to expose the truth. He reveals that Fitz is a drifter and also reveals that even Miss Shine.
Speaker 1: Is involved, which she wasn't.
Speaker 4: The committee is not happy, and if these accusations could be proven, her credentials will be taken away for good. Hick and Pooper points to Hamlet Baxter he's also a fake. He rips off Oliver's fake mustache just as Fitz storms.
Speaker 1: Into the room.
Speaker 4: He takes full responsibility. He clears John of any wrongdoing and says he learns something at the school. If you put her mind to it, you can do anything you want. But Hick and Tuber Pooper Pooper isn't satisfied. He spots to the real doctor Baxter and brings him in to tell the committee the truth. But instead of condemning the school, he points out how much it's changed since he considered working there. He's seen some incredible results and calls Fits the real principle. Everyone applauds in chance for doctor v right as the nurses arrive to take Kick and Duper back to the hospital, and again for still getting his skin ripped off even though he was covered in paint.
Speaker 1: Outside.
Speaker 4: The two doctor Baxter's commiserate Hamlet Baxter wants to save the world, or at least play someone who saves the world. Fits apologizes to his dog and is approached by what appears to be a very angry mass Shine. He admits he's a fake and knows she never wants to see him again, but in reality, she loves what he's done. The students need him, especially John, who now needs a recommendation letter signed for the University of Washington. He's going to use his grandma's check to pay tuition. Keep in mind that the check was for ten thousand dollars, which in two thousand and six will pay for about eight books. So John is going to college and Peter is with Roxea and going to Stanford. Fitz kisses Shine and returns to the school as their new principal. The transient who's never teached, never never taught to Dan his life, never better teach us.
Speaker 2: She's like, no education.
Speaker 4: That's the whole movie was getting credentialed for certain people and the transient They're like, and you're the principal, You're the right guy again with that weird version of can't help falling in love playing once again? And that's our movie.
Speaker 1: Let's do some real reviews, Sabrina, what do you got?
Speaker 2: I got the five star review today from Terry P. Sure it's a movie exclamation point five stars.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 4: I of course then have the one star review which is from Movie Freako six, which I frankly don't trust Movie Freako six, Movie Freaks one through four, great, maybe five, six and seven.
Speaker 1: Don't trust you. Here we go.
Speaker 4: I will never accept a film that celebrates the injury of an educator. I'd like to teach that John Kid a thing or two, probably social studies and geometry.
Speaker 1: If given the choice, one.
Speaker 2: Star, Wow, you must be a teacher.
Speaker 1: Got to be a teacher.
Speaker 4: And now we are coming to Sabrina's favorite part of our program, the feature game.
Speaker 1: And today our game is called Preach to Teach. Who's playing with us today? Do we know?
Speaker 2: Yes? You have Mikaela.
Speaker 1: Yay, Mikayla's with us. So Sabrina's got a chance. We got a chance. Here we go.
Speaker 4: So with Principal takes a holiday, we have two incredible performances from Kevin Neilan and Carlos Jacket. I hope I'm saying that right. It's either jack Out or Jacott, both portraying teachers. Sort of they're fake teachers, and to honor their work, we're going to get the name of four actors, and we have to choose which has been a real teacher at some point in their lives before fame, and it is more common than you think. Three out of five wins.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 5: Okay, Number one sting, Sure, I'll go with yes, yes, yes.
Speaker 2: Yes, he was an English teacher and sports coach for two years in the seventies.
Speaker 1: There we go one for one. Number two Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 3: I could see Hugh jack drama drama teacher or something for sure.
Speaker 1: Yes, I want to make a prediction before I answer.
Speaker 4: This could be producer Jensen's first time where all five of them were actually teachers.
Speaker 1: Let's see. I'm going to go with yes, I agree with you. I could see Hugh Jackman.
Speaker 2: Yes. At eighteen, he was an assistant house master at a school in the Uplands.
Speaker 1: There what is a house master?
Speaker 4: Somebody masters the house Sabrina.
Speaker 2: Like a boarding schools that have to do with boarding.
Speaker 1: School probably, Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 4: Number three Jeene Simmons from Kiss, and I think I know this one. Yes, Jean Simmons from Kiss was a teacher. I believe you know you know Kiss? Yes, Okay, it was the super long tongue guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, yeah, we didn't kiss. Didn't they paint their faces?
Speaker 1: Huh?
Speaker 2: Okay, whoa that would be so wild to see your teacher later.
Speaker 1: Pretty sure. Jean Simmons from Kiss.
Speaker 2: Gonna say yes too. I feel like these are all going to.
Speaker 1: Be teachers, That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: In the seventies he taught eleven year old and vanished Harlem for six months.
Speaker 4: There you go, by the way, the way, MICHAELA laughed, I know we're right number four, mister T. Yes, I'm saying yes to all of my bet he tried to screw us. Yes, they're all going to be teacher, yes, mister T.
Speaker 2: Oh god, yes, yes, in Chicago.
Speaker 1: We were right. Liam, Yes, so good too.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, could you imagine then.
Speaker 3: Just see mister T and being like that guy taught me how to do a push up.
Speaker 2: Pity of food.
Speaker 4: Who don't come to gym class? Yes, Liam nesim Yes, I'm gonna say we got him. I'm gonna say we got producer Jensen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, he was a teacher in training. Oh five out of five, that's like extra credit. We get too.
Speaker 1: And we called it beforehand. We called it by huge.
Speaker 4: I think after sting, I was like, they're all gonna be there, Yes, him down this week.
Speaker 1: That's all I gotta say. Can we do a Sabrina sees.
Speaker 3: We can if I could find anything. It's we've talked about everything. One of the first things though, you know, we talk about we did talk about this a little bit of you know, we do get a chance to see a lot of the like main characters bedrooms for the first scene.
Speaker 2: This one though, with them dragging the.
Speaker 3: Phone through the messy room, the skateboard, all of that stuff. I thought it was like one of the more like creative ways to to like move through the room right, like getting a chance to kind of see and look into the room. I did actually really like that, And again it made me think of like back in junior high when I had like my own line and my own message like answering machine, Yes.
Speaker 1: That's Richie rich Hey rockefella.
Speaker 3: By that time, people were getting their own line and then you would do it made me think of I used to have like no doubt.
Speaker 2: Like sorry, I can't sorry, I'm not home right now. That was like my answer was like that was like the thing to be like, hey, what's up? This is Sabrina. I'm not home right now, but I'll talk to you later. Gave me Sleave a message. It just like, was took me a nostalgia world.
Speaker 1: Mine. Mine was struck. Mine was struck from girls too.
Speaker 3: Oh man, okay again talked about how reckless now we're leaving him.
Speaker 2: There was a weird cut. There were multiple weird cuts.
Speaker 3: I felt like how we were going from one aspect of explanation.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if.
Speaker 3: It was because I, you know, have to remember this was actually on ABC. So if they were like weird cuts because it was a commercial or what, I didn't want me the one with commercials. But a lot of them were really abrupt and then going into a new scene, like there was not like a.
Speaker 1: No no transition stuff.
Speaker 4: At one point in the beginning, they're like I rewounded, So I was like, what the hell is this? Where a scene ends and then all of a sudden, it's just the two of them in red and blue jacket somewhere and then it cuts away from Lie And that's the.
Speaker 2: One I was saying was weird cut? Like what just happened?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I did the same thing. I was like, what the hell is that?
Speaker 3: Yes, again, the weirdest like dancer stretches for a runner.
Speaker 2: I just have never seen that before. That cat me off. It was just so like, hey, look I'm lipper, Look what I can do.
Speaker 3: And when she bent over, I was like, okay, ABC, like this is start. I mean she literally does like a full you know, which if you're flexible, you can't like judging your toes, but like it pause.
Speaker 2: It did a scan top.
Speaker 3: To bottom and it paused on the dairy air for sure yep, which we don't get to see on the channel ever.
Speaker 2: Oh interesting, Okay.
Speaker 3: The moped scene was like another one, just another little vignette of when they are at the restaurant and they do the mobed scene and it's kind of like when did.
Speaker 2: This get it? Get a moped? Like why couldn't they have just been walking by a beach?
Speaker 1: Like it just was these just think then she's like holding on to him.
Speaker 4: I think that's yes, like okay, but it's weird though, it's you're right, though, it's strange.
Speaker 2: Yes, there was one song, so I I don't know.
Speaker 3: I can't say I really remember a lot of songs at the time, but it did seem I mean when they were doing the Can't Help the Elvis song but a remake of it, Yeah, it kind of. I was like, I don't know, but this one song that played twice said one of the lines says, I don't know where I'm going, but I'm broke.
Speaker 2: So I hope it's free.
Speaker 1: What wrong is that?
Speaker 3: During the kind of montaging of when he is giving free rein to the school and the students, it's like during that part and it's it's just like, I don't know where I'm going, but I'm broke, so.
Speaker 2: I hope it's free. I was like, that's such a funny life.
Speaker 1: Love it.
Speaker 2: I had to write it down.
Speaker 3: Last one was why are cafeteria ladies or guys always portrayed as these like greasy mean, Like, my cafeteria ladies were so sweet all through like junior high and high school.
Speaker 1: They were the.
Speaker 3: Sweetest, Like they were always like I knew you were gonna want a cookie, I got, I saved one. They were going you didn't get here very early today, you know, or whatever, Like they were.
Speaker 2: Always the sweetest. So shout out to cafeteria ladies. I'm so sorry.
Speaker 3: That that is something that is like a main stay in so many movies like the cafeteria person is not nice, where we all know that's.
Speaker 2: Not the true.
Speaker 1: If we see you, cafeteria people, we.
Speaker 4: See you, and we see you and you're sweaty and your hairnets, and it's we we know how hard it is, so.
Speaker 1: We get it.
Speaker 2: All right, that's all I got today.
Speaker 4: All right, Well, now it's the time of our program where we are going to rate the last movie we saw. And this is this is going to be difficult one. But let's figure out how we want to do it. First of all, I say, okay, let's make ten.
Speaker 2: If you think that'll work.
Speaker 1: I think it'll work. We're going to take time the highest. That's okay. And this week we have some we have well interesting ones.
Speaker 4: How about one to ten bland but refreshing names like John one to ten, local neighborhood, hamlet auditions, unimportant drumsticks one out of ten, hamlet baxters one out of ten, dolphin ankle tattoos so weird overhead projectorsnineteen eighties, depressions one out of ten, sped up Bill Nye's or I'm gonna add one out a ten.
Speaker 1: Principal hicken bicking pickle, like that is that what we're gonna do?
Speaker 2: Itl works too that any.
Speaker 4: But any sound even close to hipperbicker tooper tickle is gonna work.
Speaker 1: So I think you go first this time.
Speaker 3: I guess I do, and I thought it would make a little bit more sense to me. I honestly, I just feel like we watched a movie that was just there's no other way to explain, but weird, like agreed.
Speaker 2: All over the place.
Speaker 3: Just it felt like we were just kind of manic the whole time of trying to figure out, oh okay, now we care about this character.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, now you know it? Did it? Like I said, I like the idea.
Speaker 3: I like having a crazy principle coming in take over trying to help.
Speaker 2: These kids out. I liked the idea. I just think it was two all over the blaze.
Speaker 3: For me to really be able to sit down and watch within one setting, I couldn't do it. I had to break it up, and going through it bit by bit just made me more confused.
Speaker 2: So I think I'm gonna go with I'm gonna just go down the middle and give this a.
Speaker 3: Five doctor hip and back and pooper pickopk kadaka rating.
Speaker 2: I'll give it a five.
Speaker 4: H I agree with one hundred percent with everything you said.
Speaker 1: I this movie was confused. I love Kevin Nieling.
Speaker 4: Carlos Jacket was great. It was a weird series of vignettes that did not mesh. There was no real through line, none of it kind of make any sense. But because of the cast, I'm also going to give it five Hicken principal Hick and picking Pooper Pickles.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know how else to score this. Think this might have been a two, this might have been an eight. I'm giving it a five.
Speaker 1: Don't know. Uh So there you go. There was our film. Well, we saw a movie.
Speaker 2: We saw a movie.
Speaker 1: We saw a movie.
Speaker 4: Our next movie is one we've been looking forward to for quite some time.
Speaker 1: It is the sequel that has been looming in the distance and last time to once again ride the wave feed.
Speaker 4: That's right, it's the two thousand and seven follow up to the DCOM classic Johnny Tsunami Johnny Kappahala backup board.
Speaker 1: Are you excited?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I cannot. You know I've never seen this one haven't either.
Speaker 4: It is currently on Disney Plus, so feel free to start without us and get a leg up while you wait, and uh, come check us out listen to all the stuff we've done, because all the people that come on this podcast are so much fun to talk about and give us all the cool inside scoops on all the films we love to watch. So all you have to do is go to your preferred streaming service, search for Magical Rewind and subscribe to the dedicated feed, and that way you get every new episode the moment it drops. And for more info, you can follow us at Magical Rewind Pod on the Instagram, which is on the intranet.
Speaker 1: It's the world
Speaker 4: Wide weeb Thanks everybody, Bye bye,