Speaker 1: All right, Jared Sandler is here covering the Rangers, of course, but we're talking World Series ball. Jared, Great to see you, and I'll set this up. So this, I think, is what our show is all about. Texting with a friend about some ideas about the game, and then it's like, hey, you want to hop on for ten minutes and go over it? So how you doing? And then within that, just lay out what we were texting about to everyone and we'll kick around the ideas for fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's up? Fellow's great seeing you guys.
Speaker 3: So I just had someboddies email thread talking about the game last night, and one of the guys like, hey, we got to get rid of the intentional walk in baseball. And I want to make something clear. It's given me something to think about. And it's not just last night. I've had conversations about the intentional walk before.
Speaker 2: I don't know where I stand.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna admit that I'm kind of riding the fence on the pros and cons. But he offered up three alternatives, one of which I really like. The one I like is that a team can only intentionally walk about her once per game. After that, you've got to execute four pitches in the dirt or four pitches where you're working around the hitter, but you can only you know, hey, throw up the four fingers. That guy goes to first once per game. The other options one was an intentional walk advances every batter or every base runner one base. So if you have a runner at second and nobody out, or runner at second nobody else on, you intentionally walk the hitter, it becomes first and third as opposed to first and second. Obviously, if you're intentionally walking someone with a runner at third, then that guy scores.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I love that one. Another one was all four pitch walks or intentional walks or two bases.
Speaker 3: I don't know that I love that either, because what if there's a guy that just he's lost control for a second.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I certainly think that's the way to go, and maybe they're the answer is that there doesn't need to be a change. I'm not sitting here saying that, you know, we need to overreact because of one game, But the impetus behind all this is and a part of what makes every sport unique is what makes you know people love those sports. But you know, in the NBA close game, fourth quarter, you want to get Steph Curry the ball.
Speaker 2: You get Steph Curry.
Speaker 3: The ball team might double team him, that they might try and force the ball out of his hands, but you still, you know he's in a position to try and do something and you can counter that. In the NFL, if the Chiefs have the ball with a minute thirty five left, you know, the Bills can't say, hey, we're going to force We're going to use the press this butt. Patrick Mames has to be on the sideline. In the NHL, you want your best line out on the ice in the biggest moment.
Speaker 2: You can do that. In our sport. A part of the beauty is that you rely on one through nine. Like I love that.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's a bug. I think that's a feature. But I do wonder, you know, does it does it make sense to at least force the athletes on the mound to get the athlete in the box out in these big moments, you know, and being Shoho tani as opposed to just taking the bat out of his hands completely strategically, it makes all the sense in the world. I just I don't know, I'm curious your thoughts. I don't know where I stand on this. I don't know that there needs to be a change, but it was something that we had discussed over email after the game last night.
Speaker 2: I thought it was an interesting discussion.
Speaker 4: They used to do this, Jared.
Speaker 5: They used to stand up, a right handed batter used to stand up and you put your hand out and they'd throw it out there and everybody would boo and it was a waste of time. Or we could go to this your email thread where all your buddies are like, yeah, you know, they should just get rid of the intentional walk. Okay, then and then we'll all write letters into the league and say how we want to watch the game and what we want to see happen. You can do all those things. You can double team somebody in the NBA and you can make sure they don't get the ball. You can go absolute blitz coverage on Patrick Mahomes and you can make it just living hell for him and not cover anybody else if you think he's But it's a team sport, like getting rid of the intentional walk. You know how you stop teams from intentionally walking guys? Five times? Mookie Bets gets a hit and ends the game. Oh wait, I guess we can't do that. Like it's a team game and if we always are like, oh man, I really love to see Shohil Tani hit man. That would be great. Yeah, okay, that's fine. Tell Mokie Bets to do better, or tell your pit like I don't want to see I don't want to see them. You know, stand up here, okay, you know over here. The one moment is when some dude has the yips and he throws he yard darts one or he lobs one, and Miguel Cabrera hits a base hit. So when I read this, I was kind of like, no, we were already there.
Speaker 2: We don't need to go back.
Speaker 3: If I would have bet on the three of you guys who is going to have the strongest opinion against this, I would have put all my chips in that it'll be cratzy.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: AJ's a wild card, but I I figured I was going to get that sort of response to America. I just want to make it clear again, I don't know how I feel about this. I think it's interesting. I also think about things like that, the long term health of the game. And I'm not saying the intentional walk is shaping this one way or the other, but like there's the baseball side of it, but then also like just the entertainment fan side of it, and I try and balance those two. And that's why I think this maybe has meyrit not so much for the baseball side of it, because this is a strategy. It's strategy just like anything else, just like hack a shack with strategy.
Speaker 2: In the NBA.
Speaker 3: But then I think about, like the people who are watching this game trying to decide do I like, how much do I want to invest in being a fan in the sport? And you know, they go and they hear about the show Heyo Tani guy, and they certainly got to show the first you know, nine innings of the game when he had the four extra base hits and the game time home run in the seventh and whatnot. But yeah, I'm not necessarily saying I want to get rid of the intentional walk, but I do. It's interesting just hearing the other possibilities that could be out there. And like I said, the one that if you told me you have to make a change, we're getting rid of the intentional walk. The one that I would say I would vote for is you can you can choot, or I say, get rid of the intentional walk. Get rid of the intentional walk as it is currently allowed, which is you can do it as much as you want. I would say you can do it once again if you told me you had to make a change to the current structure.
Speaker 1: The old card experience was a slow burned, long grind. Right, find the box, find the pack you want, open the pack. Most of the cards. Nah, Right, you got one that's worth something, Now send.
Speaker 6: It in for grading.
Speaker 1: I mean, the list goes on and you want to sell it. Now, you got to put it up. Then you got to ship it out. There's one solution for that, and.
Speaker 7: It's called Arena Club and it's just on a click of a dime. You get on your computer. You type in get the Arena Club app. Go on there, type in, put some money in, and type in exactly what kind of cards you want and while lah, It's a great experience, and I think that's what people miss nowadays, the experience, the excitement of getting a new card. You never know what you're gonna get, an autographed card, anything you could think of really cool stuff.
Speaker 1: You can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase at arenaclub dot com slash foul. See what gets Todd father so excited when he gets that digital slab pack.
Speaker 6: It's like butter babyter.
Speaker 5: Sorry, Jared, because that's how much I think your idea sucks. But sorry, I appreciate it. This is all this is. Listen, they already did it. I've seen pitchers throw intentional walk pitches away, so what they did was the right thing. It speeds up the game. And I'm all for speeding up the game with the pitch clock and all that. But here's the key, and I think and Crats nailed it. Mookie Bats get some hits. You want to know how they stopped doing this if Mookie Bats comes up and gets it.
Speaker 4: I hit behind Barry Bonds a year.
Speaker 5: He walked two hundred and I don't know seventy times, and like one hundred and eighty nine of them were intentional because I wasn't a guy that could hit seventy homers like Barry Bonds could. So they were like, oh, this guy hit into a double play and whatever. Like fine, And I had a decent year but I'm not Mookie Betts, and they still are doing this to get to an MVP and Mookie.
Speaker 4: Betts and Hall of Famer.
Speaker 5: Okay, so Mookie Betts does to get it, get his hits, but this is the strategy when they will.
Speaker 4: You have to walk, guys, and you have to pick and choose your battles.
Speaker 5: Baseball is it individual is a team game made up of individual performances. Okay, and that's the key. You need one through nine. You needed some guy every night. It's got to be someone else that steps up. When the Texas Rangers won the World Series, it wasn't always Corey seeger A. Doley Scarcia had big hits. Jonah him had big hits, everybody had. All these different guys had big hits at different times. Right, So I think this is a dumb idea. I appreciate that you guys put a lot of thought to it. You and your friends put a lot of thought into it. But you know what, you guys wasted your time and you're a Spurs fan, so it hurts me to say that. But man, y'all, y'all put a way too much time to something is not gonna happen.
Speaker 3: Just to be clear, not a San Antonio Spurs fan the top because I hate the Spurs.
Speaker 2: I'm a mass him. Uh no, I listen. I I don't know if they're listening.
Speaker 3: We'll definitely be sure to send them the link and uh you know, we'll put that in the email threat.
Speaker 2: I I just thought it was an interesting discussion.
Speaker 3: But uh, hey, I I never claimed to be smart. I I I I know my place in this game.
Speaker 5: Jared, I hope you're not offended by us saying it's not at all. You're not saying at all you're dumb. We're saying your idea was dumb. Okay, your friends they might be if they didn't come on the show.
Speaker 6: Wait, bring me on, bring me on here. I want to jump in.
Speaker 2: Okay, you know, defense attorney Scott.
Speaker 5: Scott's gonna come on and say Rob for I'm Rob Manford, and I think that's a great idea because da whatever, go ahead, wrong, we alreadychang here's the role thirteen years ago. Now we're going to change it back because we just want to make everybody get a participation award.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Scott, Jared.
Speaker 1: And I have covered the game for a long time and we work with players and talk to players right, and players are not always.
Speaker 6: Right about what fans want to see.
Speaker 1: Many players I spoke to were against any rule change of any kind, timeouts, pitch clock shifts.
Speaker 2: You name it.
Speaker 1: And there have been a lot of changes that have brought a lot of positivity to the sport.
Speaker 6: So I just think it's worth having discussions. People lost their.
Speaker 5: Minds on Scott's on the email thread Scott email thread.
Speaker 3: Scott was one that sent the email exactly just kidding, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Question.
Speaker 1: Here's so many players that want to pitchcock and they were flat out wrong.
Speaker 4: I love the pitch clock as an announcer is Jared, I know he does. But here's the thing. How many of you? Hi? Hi, mom? Who's that? Hi? Honey?
Speaker 3: It's my it's my my wife and I are living with my wife's nana right now.
Speaker 2: So that's Nana who just walked by.
Speaker 4: Hey, Rana, what's up? Here's my question?
Speaker 2: Nana? Do you like the intentional walk? She said? What's the intentional lot? She's on high side?
Speaker 4: Ay?
Speaker 6: J sixty seconds?
Speaker 4: No real quick though?
Speaker 2: You okay?
Speaker 4: Would you rather see the just him show? Hey go to first?
Speaker 5: Or have that at baut where the guy throws four balls in the dirt and we waste three minutes of our lives instead of just saying go to first, like that was so much better when they just were like, go to first, MOOKI trying to get it.
Speaker 2: Well, I'd say this, there's no skill in doing this.
Speaker 3: I think there is a skill in pitching around guys, because you guys have seen this, find the plate, you've had a picture on the mound, and the directive is, you know, we're let's see if this guy can chase.
Speaker 2: If not, we're going to pitch around him.
Speaker 3: And then you leave a pitch that is over the corner and that guy, that athlete in the box is so good he's able to drive that into gap or over the wall. So I do think there is a skill in being able to pitch around guys. There's no skill in turning and doing this. So I just the reason I find this to have some merit. I know we're on o'clock here, is that I'm all for rules that at least put athletes in a position to be athletes or challenge their athleticism. And I always ask myself that question, So that that's why I think I've given it some consideration. I have asked some players around the league, pitchers, as you can imagine, they don't like it. I've talked to some hitters though, They're like, yeah, I think this is interesting.
Speaker 2: There's obviously biases involved with their roles in the game.
Speaker 1: Though. Stay for two minutes. We're hitting a break for the TV crowd. We have two minutes left to keep this going. Okay, So here's the radical thought. And I'm not saying this is what we should do, but Jared, what about if you're limiting the amount of times you can walk someone in a game period?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: So if you're limited not I'm saying, if.
Speaker 5: You can't make a guy swing, you can't make a guy swing, Scott, what are you gonna Oh no, he gets extra balls until you throw him a strike?
Speaker 4: Like, what are you talking about? What do you mean the other?
Speaker 6: Yeah? But if if you walk guys, right, punished for walking guys. If if you want to throw strikes, throw strikes.
Speaker 1: If you can't throw strikes to a guy, because the problem is yeah, if you go back to saying, oh, you actually have to throw it, you can just fake throw right, guys know where I mean?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 6: Can throw outside the zone or throw it in the dirt. But what if you're like, hey.
Speaker 4: No, they can't, No, they can't. Some guys can't do it.
Speaker 2: I know, but I saw Flag Guerrero.
Speaker 4: Hit a home run.
Speaker 5: I didn't see it, but Flaguerreo hit a home run on intentional walk and double a off Troy Carrasco lefty.
Speaker 4: He couldn't get him out. He tried to intentionally walk him.
Speaker 5: Flagguerrero went right center boom at Harrisburg on intentional walk.
Speaker 4: So some guys can't even do that.
Speaker 5: So don't say, oh, well, guys, how hard is it for a guy to hit a guy when you tell them to hit a guy? It ain't that easy for these guys because they're programmed to throw strikes. They're not programmed to miss the strike zone.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: But my point is, if you're just gonna intentionally walk a guy, you could stand out like we used to and just catch a ball unless you have the yips.
Speaker 2: Well the guys, I know.
Speaker 6: But it doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: You should just go like this and put them on if that's the strategy.
Speaker 1: But the point is all the sports get to see their stars thrive and thrive, and our sport.
Speaker 6: Actually does the opposite, And I get it. That's fine.
Speaker 1: I'm just throwing it out there. Other sports do thrive by letting their superstar step up for half the night. Last night, Otani just goes to first and he's still a factor because he can run and you know, he was caught stealing the one time. But it's not the same as getting to see more Show Hey at Bats. That's all we're just trying to brainstorm. Is there a way to still get show Hey at Bats or Superstar at Bats? And your answer, both of.
Speaker 5: You guys gold nip bat, gold nip Bat, gold nipet, do.
Speaker 2: You actually like like I don't like that role. There's no way you actually like that rule?
Speaker 5: Right, No, But if you wanted to get in a little bit, because it would have been kind of come up a couple.
Speaker 2: Of times, you know, Yeah, I don't buy that you like that wad.
Speaker 5: And blat here comes flat. Oh wait, we're gonna move flat into the spot.
Speaker 6: I don't know, been kind, We got a guy, we got ten seconds.
Speaker 3: Well, never mind the show Hey rule. It's basically tonight he's able to pitch in d H. It's a rule made for him. I'm curious your thoughts on that can discuss in.
Speaker 2: A later time.
Speaker 1: Yep, there you go, all right, Jared, good stuff, dude, Thanks for popping on and waking our guys up.
Speaker 6: We needed some coffee.
Speaker 4: Boys.
Speaker 6: We were continuing the combo.
Speaker 1: Gied Tandler did a nice job, and he brought up the show Heyo Tiny Rule.
Speaker 6: Do you like the show Hao Tiny Rule? The real one?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it allows them to play in DH I'm fine with it, but he's the only guy. He's the only guy that could do it, which I wish. I wish there was a I wish there was a more way to get more people to try this, but because the way it's set up, it's it's set up basically for one guy, and they change the rule for one guy, and I don't know, We'll see if we can get some other guys to do it. But I do like the fact that we get to see him, and even if they walk them five times, Scott, at least we get to see him.
Speaker 6: Guys are trolling me so hard, like I'm not the one pushing for it. I'm just saying, like, let's.
Speaker 5: Listen, you're on the email threat Scott you're on the email threat.
Speaker 4: I was a problem.
Speaker 1: Sometimes it's like you're not even allowed to bring something up or say something right in our sport or in a lot of debates, right.
Speaker 6: Like why can't we just talk through it? It's a sports talk show.
Speaker 1: Some people I was texting were like, hey, fifteenth inning, ghost Runner, I'm okay with it.
Speaker 5: Bad It's the only sport where we have one rule for the regular season and a different rule for the postseason.
Speaker 1: No hockey, hockey a shootouts in the regular season, and then they don't so too true. But I'm with you. I mean, I like the ghost Runner more than most do. Fifteenth inning, I'm okay with it. Woh, I got last words? See how the post game step aft is presented by Fox one. That's where you can watch the rest of the World Series. Doesn't matter how long it takes, the app can handle it for you.
Speaker 6: Foul territory.
Speaker 1: Obviously, it's been presented by Fox one the entire postseason. That includes Aja's eighteen inning marathon. So now we've had two eighteen inning marathons. But you can start your free trial today, Oh fifteen.
Speaker 5: Scot But by the way, thank god for Fox one. So I could watch the game last night because that's the only thing that kept me awake. I mean, I was like, I was, I was sitting here from the ninth inning in this exact spot, and I was slowly like this at about two am. You know, Fox one kept me awake and this and now. But I was like, man, we.
Speaker 4: Really are we really doing a postgame at three in the morning.
Speaker 5: And Mark of course was like yeah, forty one and thank you Fox one for keeping me awake. How great this Fox won seven day free trial. That game was so long you use it all up in one day.
Speaker 2: True, it's good.
Speaker 6: Kratz was waiting on that one since last night. That's good.
Speaker 2: I like that.
Speaker 6: There he is.
Speaker 2: Thank you